On the Other Side by Asterix Tutnix
Summary: Just a week into his 3rd year Harry comes up with a rather reckless plan involving the Slytherins. Its consequences change the course of the year more than he could ever have suspected, and make him get closer to Snape than he'd have liked...3rd year AU
Categories: Teacher Snape > Professor Snape Main Characters: .Snape and Harry (required), Draco, Hermione, Ron
Snape Flavour: None
Genres: Angst, General
Media Type: None
Tags: Alternate Universe, Resorting, Slytherin!Harry
Takes Place: 4th summer
Warnings: Physical Punishment Spanking, Violence
Challenges: None
Series: None
Chapters: 12 Completed: No Word count: 48944 Read: 77604 Published: 21 Apr 2010 Updated: 16 Aug 2011
First Appointment with Snape by Asterix Tutnix

Harry swallowed hard as he stood in front of Snape's office. He wasn't sure what to expect of his first appointment with Snape and in this moment he regretted that he had been too proud to ask his Slytherin classmates. Drawing a deep breath, he knocked.

‘Come in.'

Harry hesitantly entered the office. Snape got up from his desk.  "Sit, Potter,' he said quietly while he was clearing away the stacks of parchment that were piled on his desk. Harry nervously sat down on the old leather armchair in front of Snape's desk and watched the man go over to a low old cupboard with three drawers. The Hogwarts crest was carved into all of them.  Snape tapped the lowest drawer with his wand. ‘Harry Potter!' he said and opened the drawer. A moderately thick, leather-bound folder was inside. Snape took it out and shoved the now empty drawer shut.

‘I already had a look at your file a few days ago,' Snape remarked while he was opening the folder. ‘And I daresay we have plenty to discuss.'

Harry gulped.  He tried to get a glimpse on what was in the papers that Snape had in front of him, but the writing was too small and besides he could only see it upside-down. There were several bits of parchment that seemed to be lists with his marks, others seemed to be written reports, probably from all his teachers, Harry assumed.

‘Well, Potter, we will start this meeting with your academic achievements,' said Snape. ‘I have talked with some of your professors and I have had a look at your last year's report and at the marks you have received so far this year. You seem to be doing all right in most subjects, though obviously you could put a bit more effort into your homework. However, some subjects leave quite a lot to be desired. So let's start with History of Magic.'

His dark eyes bore into Harry's, who gulped.

‘Last week you had the first test of the term, and you failed it. What happened, didn't you bother to study for it?'

‘Yeah, I did,' Harry muttered. This was turning out worse than he had expected. He had been prepared to be berated for his potions performance, but if Snape already seemed angry about History, how bad was it going to be when they reached Potions? He swallowed and repeated, ‘I did study, it's just that, the questions were sort of different from what I had expected.'

‘Ah', said Snape. ‘You almost failed last year's final exam, too. So am I to assume that the questions then were also different from what you had expected? Were they about something completely different than what had been covered in class? Or might it be that your preparation has been somewhat incomplete?'

Harry didn't know what to say and lowered his head.

‘I should have thought that the bad mark last year would have motivated you to put a bit more effort in this term. Didn't your relatives scold you for your bad marks in a subject where it is obvious that they were solely a result of laziness?' Snape asked sharply.

‘Erm, no,' Harry answered carefully, determined to tell Snape as little as possible about the Dursleys. As little as he liked them, with Snape being head of Slytherin, the Muggle biased house of Hogwarts, he didn't want to deliver him more amunition for even more of the prejudices of which the man undoubtedly had quite a few.

‘I see', Snape remarked acidly. ‘They let you get away with everything, obviously.'

‘No, they don't!' Harry blurted out and in his indignation changed his mind about telling Snape a little more. ‘It's just ... erm ... they are muggles and don't know much about the subjects here...' he muttered evasively.

‘I don't doubt that is the case, Potter. But even as muggles they should be familiar with the subject of history, and even if the history facts they were taught at school were different ones, the principle of studying history remains the same. So no doubt they are aware of the reason for your poor mark in that particular subject.'

Harry blushed. This was going to be more awful than anticipated. ‘They are not very interested in what I learn here', he muttered and thought that this was probably the understatement of the month. ‘So they never asked me what my marks were.'

‘What utter nonsense', said Snape and frowned. ‘Do you really not know that your final report is sent to your home with an owl even before you board the Hogwarts express and arrives at your family's house before you get there -  and that a receipt needs to signed and returned with the owl?'

Harry stared at him wide-eyed and mutely shook his head. Now that he thought about it, it made perfect sense that student's families would be informed by the school, and he had known that his uncle was informed by the school about the time of the arrival of the train to come and pick him up (though it hadn't interested him enough to displease Uncle Vernon by asking). He saw his uncle's bad mood every time he had to pick Harry up with new eyes now. He had always thought it was just that Uncle Vernon disliked the thought of having him in the house again; now he undertood that it was that combined with the fact that he had received an owl in the morning and even been forced to send a message with one. Not a very good idea of the school's, Harry decided.

Snape raised his eyebrows and said, ‘Well, Potter, believe me, your relatives have always been given enough information to be informed of your academic progress. To what extent they decided to use it is beyond me, but if I understand you correctly they have never mentioned this to you.'

His eyes bore into Harry's who gave a curt nod and hoped that Snape would stop harping on the Dursleys.

‘So what made you study at all for those subjects you are obviously not interested in, like history?'

Harry looked at Snape uncertainly. ‘I wanted to do well, that's all', he muttered.

‘I see.'

Harry started to squirm in his seat. Snape's eyes bore into his. ‘So I suppose we have to be thankful that you possess some ambition, I shudder to think what your reports in all subjects would look like otherwise, given the obvious lack of motivation you get from your underperforming muggle family. Something Slytherin in you, no doubt.'

Harry didn't know what to make of this. Was that supposed to be a compliment? But Snape just didn't give compliments....

‘It's just a pity that your ambition is obviously not great enough to motivate you to study more for history.'

‘Well, I try!' Harry insisted. ‘It's just...  I find it hard to keep my concentration in the lesson ... and so my notes are not very good, and that makes the revision sort of difficult. You don't know how it is!' he exclaimed defensively upon Snape's disapproving glare.

‘Don't I, Potter? I can assure you that I am not so old that I went to school here before Professor Binns was teaching. And I still managed to get reasonable history marks, as do all your Slytherin classmates, without exception. I won't accept anything less from you, Potter. There will be consequences for you if you don't improve.'

‘But I told you I'm trying!' Harry insisted again.

‘Obviously not hard enough. It is clear from the rest of your marks, that you don't have problems with your schoolwork in general. Still, in History every single Slytherin outperforms you by far, even those who are usually far behind you.'

Harry was almost sure that Snape was talking about Crabbe and Goyle. So even those two dimwits were better than him? How was this possible?

‘I recommend you to talk to the others and ask them how they do it and then take a leaf out of their book. I've told you before Potter, you should make a greater effort with your housemates.'

‘Yes sir'. Harry sighed. It was easy for Snape to talk; the others were still not exactly friendly to him, after all. Going to them and requesting help for History of Magic wasn't going to be fun, but probably better than the detention he would undoubtedly get if he didn't follow Snape's advice and his history marks didn't improve. But maybe he could just study more, and with Hermione's help....

‘Next subject', Snape interrupted his thoughts, ‘Divination.' Harry groaned internally. Not only had he failed his test, but Trelawny had probably also told Snape about his messing around in class with Ron. If Snape started to threaten him with consequences in this subject as well....

‘Unlike history, this is a subject that you chose. Given your abysmal results so far, I wonder why you chose it in the first place. Have you ever had the feeling you have a gift for being a Seer?'

‘Erm, no', Harry admitted, relieved that Snape didn't seem to be angry this time.

‘If that is the case, I cannot understand your choice. Without the gift, even the most diligent study of the theory, which I find hard to imagine you doing ', he smirked and Harry glared, ‘will not bring you much success. Arithmancy may seem a little hard at first, but would probably have been the better choice for you. What made you choose divination?'

‘Well, Ron chose it, too...' Harry muttered.

‘What stupidity!' snapped Snape. ‘Did you even bother to think about the subject itself, and not just where you might be able to mess around in class with your little friends?'

‘I did!' protested Harry. ‘I talked to Percy and he told me about several subjects, but I still found it hard to decide. I mean, Ron and Percy just know better what kind of jobs there are after school! And Ron has his older brothers who have told him loads about the subjects and the teachers! So I didn't know, and I thought, if I took the same subjects as Ron, at least I would have someone friendly to help me if I was rubbish at them!'

‘I see,' said Snape. He looked at Harry intently before he continued. ‘We are not too far into term. Students are not supposed to change their subjects anymore, but as your head of house I could arrange it for you if you want to. Changing divination for arithmancy now would mean a bit more work to catch up, but you will undoubtedly have more success in the long term. The only thing you might achieve by trying hard in divination without a trace of a talent will be to become a convincing fraud. And true Seers are rare.'

Harry nodded thoughtfully. Snape was probably right. After all, McGonagall had said almost the same thing on the day of their first divination lesson. And he didn't like the Divination lessons at all. On the other hand,  they were the only Slytherin-free lessons he attended at the moment, which was not surprising, really, considering the trouble Snape obviously took to discourage students from choosing this subject. And it would mean one more class without Ron. Harry was tempted to decline, but a small, more mature voice in the back of his head told him that Snape had a point . He hesitated.

‘Do I need to decide right now, sir?' he asked.

Snape shook his head. ‘No, but you should make up your mind before your next class as I must talk to the teachers before then as well, should you want to change. So tell me until after lunch tomorrow if you want me to initiate the necessary steps to change your timetable.'

Harry nodded. ‘Thanks,' he muttered.

‘Potions,' said Snape, ‘is another subject we need to talk about.' Here it comes, thought Harry and gave a tiny nod.

‘Potions', Snape began, and by his tone of voice Harry felt reminded of Snape's introductory speech in the very first lesson in the first year, ‘is a subject that requires some talent in order to get perfect results. You are dealing with organic ingredients, often magic ingredients, that are sometimes stronger than other times and mustn't always be treated the same way. Intuition is needed to equilibrate the varying qualities. Therefore it would be demanding too much to expect perfect potions from everybody.'

Harry couldn't believe what he was hearing, Snape was actually being understanding?

‘However', Snape continued and Harry flinched when he heard the menacing tone of voice, ‘I have absolutely no tolerance for students who are repeatedly unable to brew an acceptable potion. If you paid attention in class, you would have plenty of background information for every potion you have to brew, and you are always given written instructions, which you just have to follow. So if you apply yourself and know how to read, I do not understand how you are able to mess up so many potions. So do you know what I think, Potter? You are not even trying!' he spat and Harry gulped.

‘But I am!' he protested.

‘You messed up the last two potions and your homework hasn't been satisfactory either. So, are you just stupid or what is your excuse?'

‘I am not stupid!' Harry glared at Snape.

‘Then what is your problem with potions?'

‘The teacher', Harry muttered and flinched when Snape let his flat hand crash on the desk. ‘Sorry,' he added hastily upon seeing Snape's thunderous expression. ‘Erm, I don't really know, sir.'

‘I think some remedial potion lessons would be in order, Potter,' Snape said quietly and Harry bit his lower lip. Remedial potion lessons might be Snape called them but Harry was under no illusion that it would be just like detention, and he probably had just sealed his fate with his teacher remark.

‘However, I have no desire to spend even more time to put up with your incompetence. Somebody else will thankfully take you on.'

Immensely relieved and curious, Harry asked, ‘Who... sir?'

‘Mr Brackley. He is a sixth year Slytherin and a good Potions student. More importantly, he wishes to become a teacher. So it will be for his benefit as well to learn what kind of abysmal ignorance he will have to deal with while it is not too late for him to change his mind.'

Harry glared.

‘Although Mr Brackley is not a teacher, you will treat him with the same respect as if he were.'

Harry blinked. What was that supposed to mean; was he expected to call him "sir" and Mr Brackley?

‘Do I make myself clear?' Snape said sharply.

‘Yes sir', Harry muttered although in truth he felt that that point was everything but clear.

‘If he thinks it necessary, he may also give you homework. He will find you tonight after dinner.'

‘Yes sir', Harry muttered again, feeling that this was all very unfair. True, Potions wasn't exactly his strong point, but he wasn't the worst in class either and still he was the one who had to put up with extra lessons given by some Slytherin wannabe teacher. Still, he couldn't be worse than Snape.

‘I think that's enough for today about Potions', said Snape and Harry breathed a sigh of relief. ‘Your other subjects seem satisfactory at the moment.' Snape closed the leather bound file and looked intently at Harry. ‘ So, how are you settling in at present?'

Harry fidgeted a bit in his chair. How was he settling in? He still didn't have anybody in Slytherin whom he would consider even remotely a friend and his evenings in the Common room were lonely. He was rather glad that everybody left him alone, at least nothing of his had disappeared recently and he hadn't had any unpleasant surprises in the dormitory either. ‘Okay I guess', he said softly.

Snape's gaze penetrated him and there was an ugly sneer around his mouth. ‘It must be difficult for you without your usual fanclub. When people don't beg for your friendship as you are probably used to, you must be the one to make the effort .'

Harry blushed and bit back an angry retort. Why did Snape have to be so mean to him? Yes, it was true that the man had protected him from the worst bullying, but Harry knew it had only been because as Head of House he had been obligated to do so. Now, however he seemed pleased that Harry was obviously having no easy time with his classmates.

‘Anything else, Potter, that you wish you discuss today?'

‘Erm, yes sir,' said Harry and drew a deep breath. Now was the moment. ‘My relatives, you see, they didn't sign my permission form for Hogsmeade, and so I wanted to ask you, sir, if you could sign it as my Head of House... please, sir?'

He hated the sound of his pleading voice, but this was too important to indulge in pride.

‘What do you think, Potter? Did it say "parent" or "guardian" on the form? I am neither, thank Merlin for that.'

Harry decided to ignore the insult. ‘But sir, you know that my relatives are muggles. They don't know about Hogsmeade and stuff...'

Snape shook his head. ‘Potter, this is the second time tonight that you tried to claim complete ignorance on the part of your muggle relatives. Why is it relevant that they have never been to Hogsmeade themselves? Are you suggesting that your relatives are unfamiliar with the concept of a permission form? Or do you want to convince me that they don't know how to write?'

Harry mutely shook his head.

‘Potter, you had a permission form that you knew you needed to get signed. And you had plenty of time to get it done. So if your relatives didn't do it, I am sure they had their reasons not to, and I am not going to go against their wishes.  So no, Potter, you will not be going to Hogsmeade, you can amuse yourself in the castle, which shouldn't be too much of a problem. After all, you have more than enough work to do.'

Harry stared at him furiously. Amuse himself with homework? Snape was such a git. And he regretted having brought up the topic. If he hadn't he might have dared to fake the signature, but now, with both McGonagall and Snape knowing that the Dursleys hadn't signed the form, that was not an option.

‘Anything else you want to discuss?' Snape asked.

Harry shook his head.

‘Dismissed.'

A few minutes lataer Harry entered the Common room and looked around. The usual sight greeted him, students sitting together in small groups, playing chess, Exploding Snap or doing their homework. Most of his classmates were gathered around Malfoy who was busy opening a huge box. Probably another expensive gift from Malfoy senior, thought Harry and chose the corner furthest away from the admiring crowd. To his surprise Theodore Nott was sitting alone at a table, scribbling away furiously.

Harry grimaced. Snape was probably right, he was the one who had to make an effort. So he settled down at the same table.

‘Hi,' he said uncertainly.

Theodore Nott briefly looked up. ‘Hi.' His tone was not unfriendly, but he undoubtedly had no interest in talking to Harry. However, Harry had decided to make an effort and not let himself be discouraged so easily.

‘What are you writing?' he asked.

‘Lines for Snape.'

‘Why? What did you do?'

‘None of your business.'

Harry tried to decipher the lines his classmate was writing but, with the writing being upside down, he didn't succeed. From the end of the room where Draco was, admiring voices could be heard. Malfoy's present seemed to be up to his usual standards. Theodore briefly looked over to the group with an irritated expression on his face.

‘What an idiot', Harry said. Thoedore didn't protest and from the way he briefly met Harry's eyes Harry thought that he probably agreed, although the boy didn't say anything. Of course not, Harry thought a little bitterly. Theodore Nott doesn't have the guts to say anything against Malfoy where there is even the slightest chance he might be overheard. But it didn't make him as angry as it had a week ago, when Nott hadn't spoken out on Harry's behalf when his homework was missing.That was just the way Nott was, but other than that the boy seemed okay.

‘Theodore?'

The pale boy turned to him again. ‘Yeah?'

‘Snape said I should ask you - well not necessarily you, but somebody -  how you all manage to get good history results ... unlike me.' He grimaced. ‘So, how do you do it? I just can't manage to stay awake during the lessons!'

Theo put his quill down with a sigh and looked at him with an amused expression. ‘Come, and I'll show you,' he said.

Harry followed him into the dormitory. Theodore rummaged around in his trunk and then extracted various roles of parchments. He unrolled one of them.

‘These are the notes for the next lesson,' he explained.

‘For the next lesson?', Harry asked, confused. ‘But how come you already have them?'

Theodore gave him a look that reminded Harry of how a mother would look at her slow-witted toddler.

‘Binns has been droning on for ages, never letting himself be interupted. Do you honestly think that what he says this year is even slightly different from what he has been going on about last year or the year before?'

‘No, I guess not', said Harrry slowly. ‘So these notes have been made by an older student?'

‘Not by AN older student. By various. As you said it's hard not to fall asleep during the lessons, and so a single person's notes are usually not very complete. So these notes have been passed down for decades, and everybody who finds something missing adds to them. Mind you, there is hardly anything to add now; after all these years they are close to perfect.'

‘So every Slytherin has copied one of those?'

‘Not quite. There is a history archive. You go to the prefect and give him twenty sickles, then you get a set of everything. He uses the money to buy the parchment. Some older students who are good with copying spells make the copies and they also magically include any changes that they get told, so next year's students will get the most up to date version. But as I said, there are not many changes.'

Harry was very impressed. Yes, it made perfect sense. In hindsight he felt rather stupid that he had never before thought of asking an older student for his notes.  ‘Cool,' he said.

Theodore grinned, obviously pleased with the effect his revelation had on Harry.  ‘But you haven't seen the best yet,' he said. He took another roll of parchment and spread it on the bed. ‘This is what I used to prepare for the first test we had this term,' he said proudly.

Harry looked at the parchment and gasped. The parchment was divided into different sections and each section had a date as headline, the next one being roughly a year after its predecessor. Below, there was a list with questions.

‘Are these...?'

Theodore nodded. ‘Yep. The questions asked every year. So you see, they are not always the same, but they always get repeated after a few years, more or less. So if you look at the questions for the last five years and prepare for answering those, you're always on the safe side. And everyone who's got such a list is required to write down all the questions he remembers after the test, , so that when they're put together with everyone else's, we have a copy of all the questions asked on the latest test. Of course there are also copies of the end of year exams.'

Harry stared at him open-mouthed, impressed beyond words. The Slytherins had devised a method to achieve optimal exam results with a minimum of work.

‘And Snape knows this?' he asked incredulously.

‘What do you think? After all he was in Slytherin as a student.'

‘Yeah, I know, but, I mean, he's a teacher! Doesn't he think this is cheating? Not that I mind,' he added hastily upon seeing Theodore's face, ‘I think this is brilliant. But you know as a teacher...' He didn't finish the sentence as the thought entered his mind that on this occasion Snape was probably less a teacher than a Slytherin Head of House, who wanted his students to do well and wasn't troubled by too many scruples.

Theodore shrugged. ‘Not our fault if Binns is too lazy to change his lecture or his tests. So, are you going to get a set yourself?'

Harry grinned from ear to ear. ‘Absolutely.'

To be continued...
End Notes:
I had a lot of fun writing this chapter. About the Slytherin method of revising for the history exams - in fact we had this "exam archive" organised by students at university. I couldn't believe that Slytherins wouldn't have this thing with a teacher like Binns!
Unfortunately I already know I won't be able to post another chapter this year, so I hope we'll all "meet" again in 2011 !


This story archived at http://www.potionsandsnitches.org/fanfiction/viewstory.php?sid=2131