Sneaking Around by Lady Lanera
Summary: Set during the summer before Harry’s 5th year, Harry and his friends spend time at Grimmauld Place. Throughout their time there, Harry becomes closer to Snape as he realizes that Snape was always there to protect him even if he does dislike Harry. Will these two finally see the light...and what does Professor Sinistra have to do with this?
Categories: Teacher Snape > Trusted Mentor Snape Main Characters: .Snape and Harry (required), Other
Snape Flavour: None
Genres: Drama, General
Media Type: None
Tags: Alternate Universe
Takes Place: 5th summer
Warnings: Abusive Dursleys, Profanity, Romance/Het, Violence
Challenges: None
Series: None
Chapters: 30 Completed: Yes Word count: 23371 Read: 130426 Published: 26 Apr 2010 Updated: 26 Apr 2010
Never Too Late by Lady Lanera
Author's Notes:
Three days Grace

"Dad?" choked out Harry with his hiccupping sobs. The embrace made him feel so safe that he didn't want it to be withdrawn ever. He cried into the deep folds of the black bathrobes and clutched them tightly. He knew he was acting irrational. His father was dead. He had been dead for fourteen years, but he couldn't ignore the feeling in his gut especially after seeing that memory.

Lately, Harry always felt so alone, but now he felt as if someone was there for him. He knew that his emotions were seriously clouding his judgment and thoughts. However, he didn't care. Unlike most of his classmates, he didn't know what it felt like to have someone who cared for you or, dare he say it, loved him. The only one that had ever been close enough to him like that was Mrs. Weasley, and that was probably only because she had been best friends with his parents when they were alive. He was rather certain that the feeling he had now deep in his chest and gut proved that he had someone who cared for him, though. In fact, it was someone that he didn't have to share with anyone else.

"Calm yourself," whispered the voice as a hand gently rubbed circles against Harry's back. "You are safe. You are at Grimmauld Place." Silence then echoed around for a few minutes. "They cannot hurt you because they are not real. You know this. You are safe, Harry. You are safe."

"I…" Harry then drew in a deep breath to calm himself. The fog in his mind started to lift. He smelled the rich vanilla and other familiar herbal scents on the black bathrobes. His eyes narrowed as he tried to place where he knew that scent. It then dawned on him. Within seconds afterwards, he realized that he was clutching onto Snape and bawling like a baby. His face instantly reddened in embarrassment. He couldn't believe he did that. He pulled back from the man and felt a slight ache in his chest as the hands left his back. His shiny emerald eyes stared straight into Snape's eyes. "I believe you."

"How do you feel?"

"Tired," replied Harry quietly.

"Come with me." Snape then helped Harry to his feet before wrapping a supportive arm around Harry's waist to lead him out of the bathroom. The two walked back into the dark bedroom. Snape's arm suddenly withdrew, and he stepped back from Harry. His entire stance screamed with discomfort as he stood a few feet from Harry. "Unfortunately for me, you are not in any condition to go back to your rooms." He then waved a hand towards the bed, which instantly made the bed fresh again. "Take it," he motioned towards the huge four-poster bed. "I will not be using it tonight."

"But, sir, it's your bed, though!" Harry exclaimed.

"Yes. I know that, Mr. Potter. However, if I allowed you to return to your room with Weasley, I would be failing in my role." Snape then inhaled deeply before narrowing his eyes on Harry. The relaxed face he had once before quickly morphed into an angry one. "Mr. Potter, why is it that you reek of alcohol? Have you been drinking?"

"Um…well…uh…" Harry stuttered. His eyes then darted to the floor. Nervously, he crossed his right foot over his left. "I thought you left me Dreamless Sleep," he whispered in the softest voice he could. There was no way that Snape didn't hear that. Seconds later, he felt the anger that radiated from the wizard. "I'm sorry, Snape."

"I take it that you drank the bottle on my nightstand?"

Harry nodded. When Snape didn't reply, Harry glanced up to see the wizard's reaction. He immediately grimaced when he saw Snape's frown deepen as he glared at Harry. He could imagine several different ways this scenario could turn out. Either Snape would revert to his old ways by giving him the most scathing lecture or he would express his extreme disappointment. Either scenario made Harry feel a bit sick to his stomach, but that could be the alcohol again.

"Then you will be sorry in the morning. If you think for a moment that I'll give you a potion tomorrow, you are seriously mistaken then. Now, lie down before you pass out on me. I refuse to help you anymore than I already have tonight. You already took my bed, and I am not giving you any more reason to take my dignity with you."

Harry sighed quietly before he slowly walked towards the bed. He didn't think he could feel any worse than he already did. When he sat down on the edge of the bed, he glanced back towards Snape. If he had been a house elf, his big floppy ears would have been drooping at that point.

"Go to sleep!" Snape growled. "We'll discuss your atrocious behavior in the morning."

The End.


This story archived at http://www.potionsandsnitches.org/fanfiction/viewstory.php?sid=2132