Potions and Stars by Lady Lanera
Summary: Continuing a few weeks after the events in "Sneaking Around," Snape receives custody of Harry Potter as Dumbledore cannot convince the other Wizarding officials that Sirius is innocent. However, Snape receives some very startling news from Sinistra in the first chapter. How is this going to affect Snape and Harry's relationship now? (Songfic)
Categories: Parental Snape > Guardian Snape Main Characters: .Snape and Harry (required), Sinistra
Snape Flavour: None
Genres: Family, Humor
Media Type: None
Tags: Adoption, Alternate Universe
Takes Place: 5th summer
Warnings: Alcohol Use, Profanity, Romance/Het
Challenges: None
Series: None
Chapters: 30 Completed: Yes Word count: 81120 Read: 97238 Published: 27 Apr 2010 Updated: 08 Apr 2011
Get This Party Started/Sweet Dreams by Lady Lanera
Author's Notes:
Song is by Pink. And yes, Harry is a bit hyper in this chapter, but he's close to having a family. Enjoy. :)

"Well, what did she say? Did she say yes? I bet she said yes," Harry said excitedly as Snape slowly walked into his quarters. "Come on, Snape. What did she say?"

"She said yes," answered Snape feeling a migraine coming on from his young guest's hyperactivity. He glanced towards Harry and sighed. Why was the boy so bloody happy? It was three in the morning. He should have still been asleep by all accounts.

"Well, what else happened? What did you say? What did she say?"

"Why do you care?" replied Snape.

"Because, well, I'm a part of your family now, aren't I?" Harry answered staring at him.

"Yes, yes you are, Harry. I apologize," Snape said with a sigh. "You do realize you are acting like a crazed Hufflepuff right now."

"So…we've all got a bit of that in us, even you do," Harry said with a grin. Snape only rolled his eyes. "Come on, Snape. What happened? How did you leave it? On the telly, the characters always—"

"Unlike that ridiculous farce, this is real life, Potter. I only informed her that I would help her raise our child if she was agreeable to it."

"And was she?"

"I believe so," Snape replied. "I did also tell her that I discussed my feelings concerning her with you, but there was not much of a reaction."

"Well, did you tell her that you love her?"

"No. I did, however, mention that I enjoyed our times together."

"In other words, you told her that she's good in bed," Harry glumly said before shaking his head.

"I did no such thing." Snape then threw up his hands in frustration. "Why am I even talking about this with you?" He glared at the young Gryffindor before growling. "It's those damn green eyes of yours. They'll be my downfall yet."

"Well, what did you mean by that you enjoyed your time together if not that then?"

"It is my way of expressing my affections towards her," Snape growled back.

"Then it's a horrible way of going about saying it."

"Keep pushing your luck, Potter, and you'll be scrubbing cauldrons all year without a brush," Snape warned. The boy was pushing every one of his buttons, which probably was because Snape was dead tired now from his discussion with Aurora.

"Fine, but at least hear me out, Snape. Professor Sinistra is an astronomer, which means that she is a total romantic at heart. There's no way saying 'I enjoyed our time together' will have expressed anything you feel. Granted, I'm just a fourteen year old, but from what I've noticed about girls, they want someone to woo them. They want all that gushy romantic stuff to know you love them. Words help, but actions are what get you the girl. Since you seem to have trouble expressing yourself, maybe you should do something romantic for her. She is after all the mother of your child."

"Then what do you suggest, Harry? That I whisk her away to the North Pole and dine her under the Aurora Borealis?" Snape sarcastically stated.

"Well, that's not actually a bad idea. She'll probably find that very romantic," Harry replied. "I was just going to say get her flowers and chocolate. Either way, girls love to feel like they're special."

"Why, oh why, am I getting advice from you?" Snape groaned loudly. He then sighed and glanced at Harry. "Do not take this the wrong way, Potter, but this is the equivalent of me asking Longbottom how to brew Wolfsbane."

"Hey, it's not going to be a disaster, and I'm only giving you ideas. You were the one who said you enjoyed your time with her. Don't you want to enjoy more time with her?"

"Cunning, ambitious, determination, it is a wonder how you are not in my House, Potter," Snape drawled folding his arms across his chest.

"Could be that I have zero self-preservation and I'm not a pureblood," Harry offered smiling.

"Nor am I a pureblood, Mr. Potter, which you know," Snape retorted with another sigh. "As much as I appreciate your cunningness, I will have to decline your offer."

"Well, isn't there like a potion or something you could take?"

"For what purpose would I need a potion, Potter?" asked Snape.

"Your entire problem rests on you not knowing how to express your emotions to Professor Sinistra. So isn't there like a potion or something that could help you?"

"There is no potion that I am aware of, but I fail to see why I would need this potion anyway."

"And Hermione calls me thick," Harry grumbled. He then stopped and stared right at Snape. "You love her. I mean, sure, you love my mum too, but you love Professor Sinistra." Harry then drew in a deep breath. "Do you remember that time where you two went to the kitchen late at night at Grimmauld Place?" Snape didn't respond. "Well, I had just woken up so I decided to go get myself a midnight snack. Both of you came downstairs so I hid. You kept apologizing to her about something. I didn't necessarily catch what, but then you kept insulting each other. I don't know why, but I couldn't stop grinning as I listened to you two. It sounded like something Ron and Hermione would say."

"Oh, how lovely, you're comparing me to Weasley," Snape drawled.

"Well, it's just that everyone knows that they're severely in denial. I mean, I won't be stupid and say that I don't feel a bit jealous about it, but you two just reminded me of them that night." Harry then drew in another deep breath. "I know you'll probably kill me for this, but I'd think Mum would want you to be happy. And I think you are with Professor Sinistra."

"Harry, you must understand."

"No, Snape, you understand!" Harry exclaimed. He didn't really know where his sudden burst of courage came from, but he'd go with it for now. He needed Snape to hear him. "You loved my mum, and you've shown your extreme loyalty and devotion to her for years. I won't even begin to try to understand it, but I think the reason why you won't allow yourself to be with Professor Sinistra is that you think you're dishonoring my mum. You aren't, though. I mean, if you are, then so am I for thinking that you're my," Harry said before shrugging, "You know." Harry felt Snape's eyes narrow on him. "Please don't make me say it," he said in a small voice. "If I say it, then you'll know."

"I am honored that you would think that of me like that, Harry," Snape responded before gently resting a hand on Harry's shoulder. "I take it this sudden outburst is your way of explaining your emotions to me?" he said amusedly. When Harry nodded, he sighed. "How about I make a bargain with you? If you find such a potion, then I will brew it and drink it." Harry's deep green eyes glanced up with him with pure astonishment. "You are rather convincing every now and then. Perhaps Miss Granger is finally rubbing off on you."

"What if I don't?"

"Then I will be proud of you for trying," Snape responded calmly.

"What do you think the odds are of me trying to find it?"

"Truthfully, I haven't a clue."

"But if I do find it, then you'll tell Professor Sinistra what you feel for her?"

"I believe that is the desired result of my taking this potion in the first place," Snape replied.

"What do you…um…what are the odds of you marrying her?"

Snape snorted softly before glancing at Harry with amusement in his eyes. Sometimes Harry was a bit too open with him. Had it not been for what they went through together then Snape would have likely felt angered by Harry's question. However, they had been through a lot together. They had defeated Voldemort together and had shared their deepest secrets with one another.

"The odds of her saying yes or the odds of my asking?" asked Snape.

"Either," Harry responded.

"Well, the odds of my asking would depend if that potion existed. If it did, then it is likely I would be helpless to my emotions and would foolishly ask her. If it doesn't exist, then I would perhaps think of asking, but I never would. In response to her saying yes, I do not believe the odds are in my favor." Snape then scoffed. "Perhaps once they were, but not anymore."

"It doesn't really hurt to ask, though, does it?"

"Rejection always hurts, Potter," Snape drawled. "After all, did Mr. Weasley not become slightly depressed after asking Miss Granger to the Yule Ball last year only to learn she was going with Mr. Krum?" Harry nodded slowly.

"Did it hurt last year to see Professor Sinistra dancing with Professor Moody?"

"It did not." Snape then sighed. "She was under no obligation to do otherwise, Harry."

"But now do you think it would hurt?"

"Perhaps," Snape replied softly. "However, I would respect her decision."

"Even though she's carrying your child?" asked Harry.

"Of course," Snape answered. He then sighed. "I have learned throughout my life that if two people create a child together, it does not necessarily mean that those two people should be together." He drew in a deep breath. "My mother was in a similar situation to my own with my conception. My mother remained in that relationship until her death. She was unhappy throughout the entire time I knew her because of him and his abuse."

"But you aren't like him, though. You wouldn't hurt Professor Sinistra," Harry quickly replied.

"Do you remember that mark to her face towards the end of our time at Grimmauld?" Harry nodded slowly. "She had been trying to inform me that there was an Order meeting. However, you had drunk my Fairy Ice, and I knew that I could not leave your side because of the effects it would have on your nightmares." Snape then shook his head. "I regret that I lost my temper with her."

"You hit her?"

"Not physically, but a bit of my uncontrolled magic struck her and slammed her against the door. I was too absorbed in trying to ease your suffering that I had not realized it until the morning when I saw her. She has forgiven me somehow, but those events tend to stick with you. I would not force myself upon her, which is why I am allowing her to make the moves thus far."

"But if I find the potion, then you'll be making a move."

"You are correct," Snape responded with a sigh. "However, I doubt I would hurt her again." At the sight of Harry's confusion, Snape smirked. "When you have children of your own, Potter, you will learn that there is a certain primitive instinct in man that urges him to want to protect the woman carrying his offspring."

"And you feel this now?"

"I do, but it is an instinct that even my Occlumency cannot block."

"So…what are you hoping for then, Snape? A girl or a boy?" asked Harry with a smile.

"I only wish for a healthy child." He instantly noticed Harry's grin widen. "What?"

"See…that's what you need to tell Professor Sinistra. It shows you're sensitive. I mean, according to Witch Weekly, witches like tall, dark, and handsome wizards. You've got two out of three of those," Harry said with a smirk.

"Keep it up, Potter. I can just hear those frogs croaking now." When Harry paled and the laugh died on his tongue, Snape smirked. "Now, unless you have anything more constructive to say, I am off to bed. I have a meeting in the morning with the headmaster, and I would rather not look like I just woke up. Good night, Potter," he said turning to head towards his bedroom.

"Snape, wait, um…are there any books in here about Potions?"

Snape turned around and glanced at the young Gryffindor. He drew in a deep breath deciding he wasn't going to ask why Harry wanted to know that particular information at (now) three-thirty in the morning. After a few moments, he took Harry's inquiry as just useful information to use tomorrow after they both had a good night's rest. That thought right there only gave further proof how tired he was. He glanced towards his large bookshelves that lined the wall on his right.

"Stick to the first four bookshelves closest to our rooms. The last bookshelf contains books I'd rather not have you see."

"Dark Arts books?" asked Harry with a knowing grin.

"Yes, and if you touch them, I will disembowel you, Potter," Snape growled. The last thing he needed this year was Harry trying out some of his own spells on Malfoy. He drew in a calming breath as he saw Harry's smile drop and the nod of understanding from the Gryffindor. At least he hadn't lost his touch with Harry yet.

"Night, Snape," Harry quietly said.

Snape curtly nodded before whirling back around and heading towards his bedroom. He knew it wouldn't be long before Harry went to his own bedroom. Snape's door quietly closed behind him. He walked towards the mahogany bed with emerald bedding and sighed. Deciding it would take too long to change into his bedclothes, he fell onto the bed and promptly fell asleep.

The End.


This story archived at http://www.potionsandsnitches.org/fanfiction/viewstory.php?sid=2135