Potions and Stars by Lady Lanera
Summary: Continuing a few weeks after the events in "Sneaking Around," Snape receives custody of Harry Potter as Dumbledore cannot convince the other Wizarding officials that Sirius is innocent. However, Snape receives some very startling news from Sinistra in the first chapter. How is this going to affect Snape and Harry's relationship now? (Songfic)
Categories: Parental Snape > Guardian Snape Main Characters: .Snape and Harry (required), Sinistra
Snape Flavour: None
Genres: Family, Humor
Media Type: None
Tags: Adoption, Alternate Universe
Takes Place: 5th summer
Warnings: Alcohol Use, Profanity, Romance/Het
Challenges: None
Series: None
Chapters: 30 Completed: Yes Word count: 81120 Read: 97242 Published: 27 Apr 2010 Updated: 08 Apr 2011
Somewhere I Belong by Lady Lanera
Author's Notes:
Song is by Linkin' Park. Enjoy. :)

Harry couldn't help himself. After overhearing Professor Sinistra tell Snape she was pregnant, Harry grinned from ear to ear. Granted, he and Snape weren't extremely close like father and son or anything, but it did feel at times rather that close. Then there was also the fact that Snape just received custody of Harry nearly a week ago. While Harry would have loved it if Sirius had custody of him, Snape wasn't necessarily as bad as Harry always made him out to be. The two wizards had also grown closer together throughout the summer during their Occlumency lessons and random death match with Voldemort. They were comrades now and had risked everything to save the others. For the first time, they fought together, not against each other, and it felt great…and right.

Harry sighed as he imagined his life had custody been awarded to Sirius. There wouldn't be any structure involved. It would just be a free for all, and Harry wasn't sure if he'd like that. Then there were the frequent looks in Sirius's eyes when he stared at Harry as if he sometimes thought Harry was James. It unsettled Harry greatly. While he honestly did love spending time with Sirius, he knew that living with the man was probably not in either of their interests.

Sirius was still acting like a teenager himself at times. Granted, Harry knew it was only because Sirius had spent twelve years in Azkaban, Wizarding prison guarded by Dementors, for a crime he didn't commit, but Harry needed an adult, not another friend. That was all Sirius would be to Harry, a friend, so it made Harry rather happy to know Snape had custody of him.

At least with Snape he knew what he could expect. He wouldn't have another friend. He would have a genuine adult who was looking out for his best interests at hand. Sirius, unfortunately, wouldn't be able to do that, but Snape could…and Snape had secretly done for years.

Looking at Snape and Harry, there was no way anyone could tell that Snape had custody over him. Now, Snape didn't necessarily ignore Harry, but he didn't strike up a conversation with the Gryffindor either. For the most part, the past two weeks were rather subdued and quiet between both wizards. However, that was until Harry overheard Professor Sinistra admit she was pregnant. He honestly didn't know what overcame him, but he found himself joking with Snape, which under normal circumstances would earn him a week's worth of detentions. Then again, when was anything normal in Harry's life, though?

It had been at least five minutes after Snape had yelled at Harry for one of his jokes. Harry's good mood was still there, though. He sighed as he pondered his life with Snape now. He had thought that they'd have time to adjust to their new arrangement before he had to worry about anything. However, thinking about it now while staring up at the ceiling, Harry pushed his thoughts away. Snape was starting to become Harry's second chance at a family. Granted, seeing how Snape acted before with Professor Sinistra wasn't a good sign that he'd have a family, but he knew Snape would do the right thing. Harry had learned that during one of their lessons. That somewhere under that tough exterior and bad boy persona that Snape fronted always was a man who deep down only wanted to do the right thing, and caring for his unborn child would definitely be doing the right thing.

Harry sighed heavily as a thought occurred to him. While Snape acted as if he was angry with Professor Sinistra for becoming pregnant, Harry couldn't help but wonder if that was just Snape's way of showing fear. Anger did always seem to be the man's first outlet of emotions. Then again, what did Harry know about becoming a father? He was only fifteen. He wondered silently if maybe Snape was sitting over in his cot, thinking joyful thoughts. After all, Ron's Dad always seemed to be happy being a father. Maybe it was just a natural thing for fathers to feel, so maybe Snape would be happy and that he only needed to let the idea sink in. Harry decided to test the waters.

"So do you want a girl or a boy?" Harry instantly shrunk back into himself from the glare he received from Snape. However, within a few seconds, the glare rapidly dissipated.

"It does not matter," Snape replied quietly.

"Well, the characters on the telly always ask that question so I thought it was worth the shot." Harry then glanced away before folding his arms. "I always wanted a brother," he muttered softly.

"My son or daughter will not be of any relation to you, Harry."

"Not by blood, obviously, but he would still be your son so we'd be a family."

"That is making an extremely large assumption that I'd even be a part of his life."

"Yeah, well, I didn't get the feeling from Professor Sinistra that she was going to let you off the hook that easily," Harry responded with a soft smile. "Plus, I think she likes you."

"You think?" Snape deadpanned. "I wonder whatever gave you that impression, Harry."

"So do you like her?"

"As if I'd ever tell you," he drawled.

"On the telly after this happens the guy usually marries the girl. It's the right thing, you know?"

"Oh, is it? I hadn't known," Snape sarcastically replied before shaking his head. "Honestly, Harry, if you were any more obvious, I'd swear you were Longbottom. I understand your aspirations of regaining what the Dark Lord took from you, but I cannot give you the family you seek."

"So you aren't going to marry her?"

"That has little to do with this situation."

"It has everything to do with this, Snape."

"Why? Because you wish for Aurora to replace your mother?" he said with no emotion. "That will not happen, and I believe Aurora would agree with me when I say that no one can replace your mother. You dishonor Lily by trying to replace her so quickly, Harry."

"No I'm not. I think Mum would want me to be happy."

"Happy, yes, but forcing two people together whom you believe would be wonderful examples of parents are not. Aurora and I had not planned for this. In fact, I specifically ordered her not to let this occur," he responded with a slight growl.

"But it has so you have to do the right thing now."

"Not all adults do the right thing, Harry."

"So then you're not going to be a part of his life? You'll take care of me, someone who isn't your flesh and blood, but you won't be there for your son?"

"I did not say that. I only meant that I would not marry out of duty. If I were to marry Aurora, it would be out of love, not because it was the right thing. Marriage is an affirmation of love."

"I thought that was sex?"

"Yes, well, in most cases, but not this case, Harry."

"So you honestly don't have any feelings towards her?"

"What I harbor for Aurora is none of your concern or anyone else's. While I appreciate what you are trying to do, I cannot give you the happy family you seek. If we had a true relationship based on love, it would fail. It is better this way if we do not know where the other one stands in terms of love."

"But you know she loves you, though."

"It is a conjecture, not a fact."

"Says you, but I—"

"You are a fifteen year old. You know nothing of relationships, Harry. You know nothing about adults. I will most definitely be a part of my child's life if Aurora wishes it, but I will not subject either Aurora or myself into a relationship for the sole purpose of feigning a family."

"But you aren't faking it, though," Harry argued.

"You do not know as much as you think you do about me, Harry."

"Well, then are you even happy about having custody of me or was I just another 'doing the right thing' on your part?" The hurt was so evident in Harry's voice that it was stifling.

"As you know, I am never happy. However, I must admit that I am satisfied with the results."

"Then are you satisfied with the results of Professor Sinistra being pregnant with your kid?"

"No."

"Why?" Harry asked outraged. He couldn't believe Snape. How was it any different from him?

"Because the child is only the result of a bargain I made with her, which she did not keep. No love made the child. There was no feeling behind the act. It just happened because I went to her one night in order to escape. Tell me, Harry. If you had learned that you were the result of what my child is, would you be happy? I think not."

"Probably not, but at least I would have a family." Harry then rolled onto his side in order to do his best to ignore Snape. He couldn't believe the man. Harry would give anything to have a family, and here Snape was doing his best to screw that up. "And you call us idiots," he mumbled.

The End.


This story archived at http://www.potionsandsnitches.org/fanfiction/viewstory.php?sid=2135