Potions and Stars by Lady Lanera
Summary: Continuing a few weeks after the events in "Sneaking Around," Snape receives custody of Harry Potter as Dumbledore cannot convince the other Wizarding officials that Sirius is innocent. However, Snape receives some very startling news from Sinistra in the first chapter. How is this going to affect Snape and Harry's relationship now? (Songfic)
Categories: Parental Snape > Guardian Snape Main Characters: .Snape and Harry (required), Sinistra
Snape Flavour: None
Genres: Family, Humor
Media Type: None
Tags: Adoption, Alternate Universe
Takes Place: 5th summer
Warnings: Alcohol Use, Profanity, Romance/Het
Challenges: None
Series: None
Chapters: 30 Completed: Yes Word count: 81120 Read: 97237 Published: 27 Apr 2010 Updated: 08 Apr 2011
Running Up That Hill by Lady Lanera
Author's Notes:
The song is by Placebo, a song that I heard during NCIS LA. I've also made a YouTube vid to this song, so look that up if you love Harry and Snape. :D Enjoy.

Placing his hands behind his back, he openly glared at his two Slytherins as soon as the trio had arrived in his office. The little idiots had attempted to murder his adopted son in front of him. With his nostrils flaring ever so slightly, he breathed out, attempting to calm himself. The urge to throttle the Beaters was overwhelming as the two glanced at each other with satisfied looks.

"Mr. Crabbe, Mr. Goyle," Snape hissed, clenching and unclenching his hands manically behind his back. "While hitting a Bludger towards a player is expected, it is NOT expected that you'd aim for that player's head." He caught the young men's faint smirks, which made him instantly grit his teeth. "You find it amusing that one of our own lies in the Hospital Wing, unconscious, suffering from massive trauma?" he growled.

"Shouldn't have gotten in the way, sir," replied Crabbe callously with a shrug.

"I see," Snape replied coolly, staring at the young men. Perhaps he should take a different strategy with them just to prevent him from reaching forward to skin them alive. "In fact, it was rather Gryffindor-like, wasn't it? Perhaps Malfoy doesn't deserve our well-wishes after all." He instantly caught their surprise followed by their smugness as they assumed he was now on their side about Draco. "I wonder, Mr. Crabbe. You and Mr. Goyle clearly had some help in overriding the protections on the Bludgers. Am I correct to assume that your fathers assisted?"

"They enchanted our gloves to interact with Hooch's protection spells and later reverse it."

"Ah," he said, nodding in understanding. "So whenever you swung and connected with the Bludgers, the enchantment on your gloves filtered into your bats and overrode the protections." He then made an appreciative look towards both boys before he whirled around to glance at his desk with his back turned to them. "No one would have even considered looking at your gloves so no one would have realized this, which would allow you and Mr. Goyle to evade punishment."

"That is the plan, yes, sir," Crabbe replied, grinning widely.

"Yeah, so, do you like it, sir?" asked Goyle with a hopeful look.

"Do I like it?" he repeated, dramatically whirling around to make his cloak billow behind him.

"Yeah, do you like our plan, sir?" Goyle replied, staring up at him.

"Your plan unfortunately didn't take into account Mr. Malfoy, however," Snape pointed out, crossing his arms as he glanced down at the two Slytherins.

"Yeah, well, maybe that's for the better," Crabbe stated.

"Meaning?" drawled Snape as his black eyes bore holes in the young man.

"Meaning with all due respect that Malfoy hasn't been acting like a Slytherin lately, sir," Crabbe answered, meeting Snape's gaze.

"So you believe that he deserved his fate?"

"Oh, yes, sir, very much so," both Slytherins replied, nodding fervently.

"Then I take it that you wish me to inform Mr. Malfoy when he arrives that his son was injured as the result of his Slytherin brothers attempting to revenge the Dark Lord's recent death? And that young Draco was unfortunately considered by his brothers to be a traitor, and was treated as such, which resulted in his massive injuries?"

"Whatever you say to him doesn't matter, sir," Crabbe answered calmly.

"Oh?" Snape replied, feigning intrigue. "And why is that?"

"Let's just say that the great Malfoys aren't considered to be so infallible in the eyes of some of our Slytherin brothers anymore, sir," the fifth-year Slytherin stated.

"Is that true?" Snape then seemed to consider this for a moment before he inclined his head in mock respect to the young men. "The others, like your fathers I'd imagine, blame the Malfoys then for the Dark Lord's fall?"

"They were seen talking to Dumbledore just a few hours before," Crabbe answered, sneering. "Doubt it was just because they were talking about how to brew a proper tea, sir."

"Sadly, you are mistaken," Snape said softly. His lips nearly turned upwards when both young men jumped at his words. Drawing in a slow breath, he prepared himself before he spoke again. "Lucius Malfoy was brought to the Headmaster by the Order to learn the Dark Lord's location."

"See, he told then, sir!" shouted Crabbe. "He was the traitor!"

"No, you stupid boy," Snape growled, finally letting his anger seep into his voice as he leaned in towards the pathetic excuses of Slytherins. "I was the one who told Dumbledore." The looks on the young men's faces were purely comical. "I was the one to betray the Dark Lord."

"YOU?" both young men shouted in pure horror as they jumped to their feet with wands drawn.

Snape, however, waved his hand casually towards them, banishing their wands far from their clutches. He then sighed, feeling rather bored by their predictable behavior. He could see the fear in their faces now as they stood in front of him without their wands. He nearly chuckled at their terror-ridden trembles. After all, they weren't his students, his Slytherins, in his mind anymore, not after that.

"Clearly your fathers didn't inform you idiots who I am," he purred softly and almost deadly.

"You-you're not going to kill-kill us. Are you?"

"Now, Mr. Goyle, why in Merlin's name would I kill you?" he asked, smirking towards him. "After all, both of you indirectly claimed that you were doing this for the good of Slytherin. So why would I want to kill two individuals such as yourself who are so concerned about Slytherin?"

"Because of Potter," the young man answered with a shaky voice.

"You forget," Snape drawled with a forced laugh. "Mr. Malfoy is my godson." He watched both young men gulp instantly before they glanced towards the closed door. "Many people have tried and failed to run away from me, Mr. Goyle and Mr. Crabbe. But since you two believe to be special, do go ahead and try. It shall be entertaining, I'd imagine," he said darkly, glaring at them. However, he noticed neither one tried to move. "I wonder if your fathers informed you of the severity of your crime prior to you committing it for them." The young Slytherins shook their heads in return. "Ah, I thought so. Then I shall be so kind to inform you." He heard a soft whimper from Goyle before he spoke again. "Attempted murder with the willful knowledge that you'd likely kill someone as a result of your actions is a lifetime sentence in Azkaban with the Dementors." He watched the blood rush from their faces. "However…"

"What?" the young men squawked, desperately clinging to his little shred of hope he offered.

"I doubt either of you two came up with this plan all on your own." He said nothing when they instantly nodded in reply. "If you were to cooperate with the Wizengamot freely and provide them with certain information—perhaps concerning your fathers and others," he offered with a neutral expression on his face, "I'd imagine they'd lessen your sentences then."

"You want us to—"

"Let me impart this to you very clearly, Mr. Crabbe," Snape replied through clenched teeth. "I care very little what you and Mr. Goyle do anymore." His eyes then darkened. "My hands are cleaned thoroughly from both of you now fortunately thanks to your actions on the Pitch."

"You're not going to help us?" cried Goyle.

"You attempted to murder my son in a crowd full of spectators, Mr. Goyle," Snape snapped. "If it was not for Mr. Malfoy, you would have succeeded too. So, yes, gentlemen, I am not going to help either of you." His eyes then narrowed on them as he stared at them coldly. "Frankly, why should I?"

"Because we're your—"

"No," he hissed back. "You were my students. The second you attempted to murder my son was the second you lost me." He watched the young men stare back at him, seemingly speechless. His eyes then darted to the opening door. "Kingsley," he said amicably towards the approaching Auror.

"No! You-you can't do this!" yelled Crabbe. "We-we were just following orders! Please, sir! We were just following orders!" pleaded the fifth-year Slytherin, reaching for Snape. He met only air as the man easily sidestepped him. "Please, sir! We didn't know! We just did what our fathers told us to do!"

"Your fathers ordered you to kill Harry Potter during today's Quidditch match?" asked Kingsley Shacklebolt softly, sharing a quick look with Snape.

"Yes!" both young men shouted back, nodding fervently.

"You'd swear on your Oaths to this?"

"Yes, sir, we would," Crabbe answered. "We'd take that stuff too that makes you tell the truth!"

When the Auror looked to him for support, Snape gave a brief, imperceptible nod before he resumed his glare on the young men. Their admission was a start. If that led to their redemption, then so be it. If not, then he lost two more victims of unfortunate upbringings to the Death Eaters. In his fifteen years of teaching, he had only lost three. He hoped Crabbe and Goyle weren't his fourth and fifth.

~PS~

After Shacklebolt escorted Crabbe and Goyle out of the room and likely out of the castle, Snape frowned and silently walked through the secret entrance to his rooms. He instantly narrowed his eyes on the sofa where a familiar messy-haired young man sat glued to Aurora's side. He could see the shakiness in Harry, which made Snape sigh as he walked towards them.

"Is Draco all right?"

"I do not know," Snape replied honestly.

"Oh," Harry replied, glancing down at the floor.

"You are not at fault, Harry."

"I know. Crabbe and Goyle are."

"Correct." Snape then glanced towards Aurora. He frowned when he caught her worried look as she gently pulled Harry closer to her. "I will speak with Madam Hooch and the others about increasing protections before your next match, Harry, so that this does not occur again."

"They were trying to kill me, weren't they?"

"Yes. However, I will make sure this does not happen again, Harry," he stated firmly.

"You can't protect me from everyone, Snape."

"I can sure as hell try to, Harry," he replied back with a slight growl. Why hadn't he or Madam Hooch made sure to check all of the players' equipment beforehand? He knew how his Slytherins felt about Harry's adoption. Dammit, why had he just dismissed his Slytherins' anger and bitterness like he did with Trelawney's predictions? Gritting his teeth, he glared at the wall behind Harry. "Dammit! You are my son! They should have—" He shook his head violently to end that thought before locking eyes with Harry. "I will never let my guard down when I'm around you again, Harry. I should not have done it this time. If it weren't for Mr. Malfoy's self-preservation, you'd be the one in the Hospital Wing right now instead of him."

"Self-preservation?" repeated Harry with a confused look. "Doesn't that mean that he should have let that Bludger—?"

"As I'm sure you've gathered by now, Harry, they're quite close to one another. Knowing precisely how Severus would react if you would have been harmed and knowing that he was in a spot suitable to—in essence—protect you, Mr. Malfoy flew into its path." She rested her head against the messy Potter hair and sighed softly. "In other words, Harry, it's self-preservation because Draco recognizes the bonds between you and Severus, knowing that he, the Alpha male of the fifth-years, would be expected to react if such an event took place. Otherwise, in his mind, he'd expect Severus to be disappointed or worse with him for failing to react—failing to protect you."

"Oh," said the young man before chewing on his bottom lip. His green eyes then glanced at Snape. "Is she right? Did you expect him to act like that with me?"

"Did I anticipate Mr. Malfoy taking a Bludger to the chest, you mean?" Snape clarified.

"Yeah," Harry replied, nodding slowly.

"I did not wish for him to do anything that drastic," Snape answered softly. "But I suppose a part of me did wish for him to do something, if he knew that was to occur."

"Why would you want him to do that?"

"Because he is aware of my-my thoughts concerning you presently, Harry," Snape spoke.

"In other words," Aurora said with a soft smile, "Mr. Malfoy knows that Severus considers you as his son, the same as he does for Mr. Malfoy."

"Oh," Harry replied quietly. He then wrung his hands together nervously before sighing. "Can we, well, can we see Draco?"

"If Madam Pomfrey allows it and Draco feels up to it, then yes," Snape answered.

"Sev—I mean, Snape." Harry's head instantly bowed in shame.

"I believe I have told you that you are free to call me whatever you feel comfortable with, Harry," Snape gently reminded, pushing the young man's chin up to look him in the eyes. "If it suited you presently, you could call me a right bastard." He then chuckled when Harry's green eyes widened. "Though, I would not recommend it," he said, resting what he hoped was a comforting hand on Harry's arm. He then glanced towards his fiancée and narrowed his eyes on her. "Is something wrong, Aurora?"

"No—I mean, yes." She then sighed, shaking her head. "I don't know, Severus."

"Is it the babies?" asked Harry.

"I think so," she replied, grimacing slightly before she gently rubbed her abdomen.

"You're in pain?"

"Not really, I just, well, I just feel weird." She then sighed. "I've felt nauseous all day." A moment later, she grabbed her side, closing her eyes as she breathed through the sudden onset of pain. However, soft cries quietly came from her, causing her to clench her side even tighter.

Without asking the asinine question of what was wrong, Snape instantly swept into action, picking her up from the sofa and carrying her to the fireplace to floo them to the Hospital Wing. He knew he didn't have to say a word to Harry to tell the young man to follow them. So with Aurora in his arms and Harry beside him, he threw down the Floo powder and called out their destination, forcing himself to remain calm for their sakes.

"Severus!" cried Madam Pomfrey, placing a hand to her chest in surprise. "What are you—?" She was cut off by Aurora crying out loudly, clutching her abdomen. Madam Pomfrey quickly went into mediwitch mode then, understanding that something was very wrong. "Bring her in here!" the matron instructed, quickly leading them into a private room.

As gently as possible, Snape set Aurora onto a small cot in the room a few seconds later. Neither he nor Harry moved away, though. Holding a breath as his heart pounded agitatedly against his chest, he silently watched Madam Pomfrey run her wand over Aurora's abdomen. His mind raced with thoughts of what could be wrong with her.

Taking in the numerous floating numbers above Aurora from Pomfrey's diagnostic, he scolded himself mentally a moment later for not understanding what all of the numbers meant. After all, he was an intelligent man. If anyone could figure it out without help, he would be the one. He knew the numbers' meaning was important because if he knew that, then he could either deny or confirm his numerous theories. His heart then constricted when he heard Madam Pomfrey's sudden gasp.

"What? What is it? What's wrong?" asked Harry with a slight edge to his voice. "Tell us!"

"Mr. Potter, I can do without your yelling," the mediwitch scolded, glaring mildly at the young man. She then glanced towards Severus with a guarded look. "I have to prepare her for surgery at once. Please wait in my office."

"Surgery?" repeated Harry with a horrified look. His green eyes then darted from Pomfrey to Snape and back to Pomfrey. "Is something wrong with the babies?"

"Mr. Potter," Madam Pomfrey admonished, "do as you're told."

"But if—" When a hand fell on his shoulder a moment later, he glanced up at Snape.

"Let us do as Madam Pomfrey asked, Harry," Snape softly said. He could clearly see that the young man didn't want to, but Harry nodded a moment later and walked away with him. Neither of them said a word as they took a seat in the matron's office. The fear was clearly evident in the young man's face, making Snape feel worse. He could relate with Harry's fear. Hell, he shared them. But they had to let Madam Pomfrey do her job.

When the door opened a moment later, they both glanced towards it, expecting it to be Madam Pomfrey. It wasn't her, though. Instead, a familiar silvery-blond stood in the doorway with crutches supporting his weight as he stared at them.

"How are you alive, Malfoy?" Harry asked with a shocked look.

"Believe me, Potter," Draco replied, slowly moving over to them by use of his crutches. "I've asked myself the same question." He then grimaced as he silently hopped on one foot before lowering himself into one of the chairs. "Madam Pomfrey thinks my robes took the brunt of that damn Bludger."

"Of course," Snape mumbled, staring at his injured godson. "I gave you those robes when you were a second-year." He then caught Harry's confusion, but Draco luckily answered for him.

"Severus thought I'd get myself bloodied or worse during a match, so he bought an enchanted robe before my first match to ensure that nothing too bad happened to me. And before you ask, Potter, they're charmed to look the same as the other Slytherin's robes, so only Severus, Madam Hooch, Dumbledore, and Madam Pomfrey now knew about it. Severus said it was like something Muggle Aurors sometimes wear."

"To stop their tiny Bludgers from their wands, yes," a kind voice spoke from the doorway. "I believe Muggles call it a vest, though." Wearing crimson robes embroidered with silver trim, a dark brown haired man slowly walked further into the room, allowing the door to close behind him. When Snape went to stand, the man quickly held up a hand with a polite smile. "No need to stand for me, son," he spoke quietly. "I'm planning to sit myself."

"Mr. Sinistra—"

"Please, Severus, call me Orin," the man replied, taking a seat. "We're going to be family after all. Aren't we?" The man then sighed quietly before he glanced towards the young men. "That was a good game, gentlemen. Well, that is until that fiasco with the Bludger, I mean."

"Thank you, sir," Draco responded respectfully.

"You're Narcissa Black's son, aren't you?"

"Yes, sir," the Slytherin answered quietly.

"Shame about your parents," Orin said caringly. He then forced a soft laugh when Draco's face remained neutral. "Then again, you likely see it as being a blessing. Now, I wouldn't blame you if you did. I remember your grandfather Abraxas. Bastard if there ever was one. Luckily, you're probably too young to remember him." Orin then shook his head with a smile. "What is that saying Muggles say? When one door shuts, a wall opens?" He then fixed Draco with a hard stare. "Just remember, though, young Draco, that Lucius, for all his faults, was your father, and he likely did care for you at one point. He just became jaded, like so many other Slytherin fathers over the years."

"Severus won't be like that!" Harry exclaimed, not understanding why he needed to say that.

"Easy, Harry, I wasn't insinuating that he wouldn't be," Orin replied with a laugh. "Severus seems to be a good father from what I'm seeing from him thus far. And from what I've heard from Aura over the years, he's, her words mind you, a 'great catch."

"Then what are you saying?"

"I'm merely pointing out that Slytherin has the reputation of turning men jaded over the years. But the way I hear it, my future son-in-law has already gotten past that stage."

Feeling horribly awkward, Snape cleared his throat before inclining his head to the man. This meeting in a way was going better than expected. Then again, he wished Aurora was here with him. His eyes then darted to the closed door at that thought.

"Though, he is not the only one. I once found myself in that same predicament." Orin then sighed. "I'm certain you've already seen this, but there comes a point in every Slytherin's life where he makes the decision to live either in the light or the dark. Too many times, we choose the dark first, fearing the light." Orin scoffed a moment later. "Forgive an old man for his idle thoughts, gentlemen."

"Apologies are not needed," Snape responded softly.

"For now, Severus, for now," replied Orin, inclining his head. "Well, I for one am interested to hear all about the young men's punishment for their attempt on my grandson's life."

"They are in the hands of the Aurors now."

"Ah, as are their fathers soon, I'd imagine."

"I do not know."

"They are Death Eaters like you, are they not?"

Snape's head snapped towards the man. He had not informed her father of that. How in the hell did the man know that he had been a Death Eater? There was no chance that Aurora had told her father. She would have known to keep something like that quiet.

"I am sorry, sir, but I don't understand," Snape responded with a questioning look.

"You were in Voldemort's ranks, were you not, Severus?" Orin replied calmly.

"Regrettably, yes, but I fail to see how you know this, sir."

"I don't suppose you'd take my word if I answered that you have the look of one?"

"I'm not sure if I should feel insulted or complimented by that, sir," Snape replied sarcastically.

"I suppose it depends on your outlook, Severus. However, I believe you'd take that as a compliment, considering that you were a successful spy for the Light for so many years. I mean, you hoodwinked Voldemort, a wizard who supposedly was the most powerful Legilimens in the world."

"Ah, thank you then, sir," Snape replied, forcing his lips into a polite smile.

The sound of the door opening made Snape sigh and glance towards it. He said nothing when Madam Pomfrey walked into her office. Her face gave nothing away for him to tell if she brought good news or bad. So he just waited for her to speak.

"The fetuses are perfectly healthy, Severus. However, it seems as if it wasn't them we should have been paying such close attention to."

"Why? What was wrong with Aurora?"

"Appendicitis," the mediwitch answered. "It's fairly common with pregnancies. The symptoms unfortunately are masked by the pregnancy usually. Thankfully, we're very sensitive right now with this pregnancy so we were able to catch it in time." Madam Pomfrey then smiled. "Now, I've removed her appendix, and she appears to be healing very nicely at the moment. However, I am requesting that she stays here overnight so I can monitor her condition. I just want to make sure there aren't any unforeseen complications during the night, but I don't see any at this point."

"Can we see her?"

"Yes, but I would recommend that you allow her to rest if she starts to feel tired." The matron then glanced towards the older wizard. "Hello, Orin."

"Poppy, you're looking as beautiful as always," he replied with a grin. He then walked out of the office with Snape, Harry, and Draco following behind. He opened the door to the private room off to the side of the main area and walked in. "You always had to be the troublemaker, didn't you, Aura?"

"Hey, Dad," Aurora said tiredly. Her eyes then found Snape's, and her smile widened. "Sorry for scaring you, boys," she said with a gentle laugh that caused her to groan a moment later.

"Don't apologize," Snape replied, lacing his fingers with hers after a brief moment of hesitation.

"I'm glad to see that you're up and around, Mr. Malfoy," she said, addressing the blond.

"All thanks to Severus, ma'am," Draco responded politely.

"No doubt," she said, licking her lips. "Who'd have guessed that I'd have four children before I turned thirty-six?" she joked. "Well, I'm sure Severus has told you this already in lieu of certain events, but welcome to the family, Mr. Malfoy." She said nothing when Harry's mouth dropped.

The End.
End Notes:
Okay, I'm going to stop torturing poor Aurora now. :D And yes, I shall explain all about Draco and why Snape has him, but I'm sure we all know why that is. :D


This story archived at http://www.potionsandsnitches.org/fanfiction/viewstory.php?sid=2135