Potions and Stars by Lady Lanera
Summary: Continuing a few weeks after the events in "Sneaking Around," Snape receives custody of Harry Potter as Dumbledore cannot convince the other Wizarding officials that Sirius is innocent. However, Snape receives some very startling news from Sinistra in the first chapter. How is this going to affect Snape and Harry's relationship now? (Songfic)
Categories: Parental Snape > Guardian Snape Main Characters: .Snape and Harry (required), Sinistra
Snape Flavour: None
Genres: Family, Humor
Media Type: None
Tags: Adoption, Alternate Universe
Takes Place: 5th summer
Warnings: Alcohol Use, Profanity, Romance/Het
Challenges: None
Series: None
Chapters: 30 Completed: Yes Word count: 81120 Read: 97217 Published: 27 Apr 2010 Updated: 08 Apr 2011
Forgotten by Lady Lanera
Author's Notes:
The song is by Avril Lavigne. Just a warning, but Aurora and Lily never really got along in school, and you'll see a bit of that here. Enjoy. :)

Three hours after confessing that she was pregnant to the man she loved unconditionally, Aurora Sinistra leaned dangerously over the railing that surrounded the top of the Astronomy Tower. She clasped her hands tightly together and closed her eyes. The breeze from the lake swirled around her in a calming way. She remained in this same manner for nearly forty-five minutes in peace and solitude.

If she thought it would help, she would have run as far as she could away from the castle. She wouldn't have cared if she ended up just on the other side of Hagrid's hut. The only thing she cared about was leaving behind everything. After all, one mistake on her part turned their whole worlds upside down. It wasn't as if she wanted to be pregnant or anything, but she was rather glad that it was Severus who was her unborn child's father, though. Secretly, she had always loved him, but duties and obligations always got in their way nowadays.

Before during their school years, though, it was all due to one little redheaded Muggleborn Gryffindor witch who thought she was so perfect and felt the need to stick it in other's noses. While Lily Evans might have been an extraordinary witch when it came to Charms and Potions, Aurora knew the truth about her other classes. Little Miss Perfect wasn't so perfect in DADA or Astronomy, which were both classes that Aurora received 'Os' in on her OWLs. In fact, the only way Lily could pass Astronomy was with Aurora's help, and Little Miss Perfect of course could never thank Aurora for helping her.

"Um…Professor Sinistra?" a soft voice spoke behind her.

"I'd have thought you'd still be in the Infirmary, Mr. Potter," she replied just as soft as he had.

"Well, I should, but I…um…I sort of needed to talk to you."

"Can it wait?"

"It could, but um…I'd really like to talk to you now, Professor."

Aurora sighed heavily before taking a step back from the railing. She turned around and glanced at the young Gryffindor that stood in front of her. She could easily see the differences in him since Severus entered the young man's life. Harry was much more mature than in previous years. However, he was also a bit more reserved, too.

"Then speak your mind, Mr. Potter," Aurora responded before crossing her arms.

"Well, um…I mean, well, I…I…I know."

"You will have to forgive me, but what do you know?"

"About um…well, you know…how you and Snape are going to be parents."

"I see. I take it that you learned this quaint little fact by eavesdropping?"

"Yes, ma'am, but I honestly didn't mean to. It just sort of happened."

"Ah, yes, well, I can certainly relate with that statement. I take it there is more to this discussion than just your admission to eavesdropping?"

"Well, it's just…um…well…" Harry shifted his weight on his other foot and kept his eyes on the floor. He then drew in another breath before trying to finish. "Well, you know how Snape's my guardian now, Professor?"

"Yes," she responded drawing the word out.

"Well, it's sort of like I get a family now. I mean, okay, Snape's not overly caring or anything, but at least he wants me."

"Forgive me, but I am laboring under the impression that several families wished for custody of you, but that you decided that Severus was the best one. Am I mistaken?"

"No, but—well—I mean, yeah, you're right. I agreed when Dumbledore asked me if it'd be all right if I lived with Snape, but I mean, he offered, though. Snape offered to let me live with him."

"I see. Then what is the problem, Mr. Potter?"

"There isn't a problem really. It's just that I've always wanted a family, and now that I'm so close to one he's screwing it up."

"If you are referring to the fact that he's being an ogre right now, as you already know it has little to do with you."

"I'm not talking about him being his usual self, Professor."

"Then what are you talking about, Mr. Potter, because you've lost me." Aurora then glanced towards the stars. They were so beautiful tonight. The twinkling little gems helped her forget everything.

"Promise not to get mad."

That got Aurora's attention. Her head quickly snapped back towards the young man and her dark eyes narrowed on him. His entire posture screamed with fear. She opened her mouth to ask him what was wrong, but decided against it.

"I will not," she quietly said.

"Well, it's just that…I kind of thought that living with Snape would be like having a family. As I said before, it's not as if he really shows he cares, but I know that he does. I mean, why else would he have saved my life so many times? So, I mean, I can pretend that we're a family and be happy." Harry then shifted his weight again. "It's not like I have to worry about Snape hitting me or locking me in cupboard without any food or water. As long as I keep my grades up, I know that I won't be a disappointment and I'm going to keep my grades up. I don't care what it takes, but I'm going to keep them up," he said adamantly. He then sighed heavily. "But then…I mean I would have been satisfied with my life then. Hell, it'd be ten times better than what I had before."

"Then why can't you be satisfied with your life now, Mr. Potter?"

"I can't be satisfied now because I know." His green eyes glanced at her seconds later. "I know now about your pregnancy."

"I fail to see how that has any relevancy here," Aurora replied.

"Well, it's just he has a family with you now, and he doesn't want it. Does that mean he doesn't want me then?"

"Oh, oh, Harry, no, that's not it at all. I won't even begin to explain why Severus is the way he is, but, Harry, you were right before. Severus offered, and this is a very big step for him. Severus acting the way he did earlier doesn't mean he doesn't want you, though. He just needs time."

"But what if time is the enemy here? What if he takes all this time and decides he doesn't want to have anything to do with you and the baby?"

"Then he's an even bigger git than I thought he was. Don't concern yourself, Harry, over Severus's decisions, though."

"Yeah, but he'd be choosing me over his own child so how could I not?"

"That's not the decision he's making in this case, Harry. I've known Severus for a very long time. He won't allow himself to make a decision like that. He'll be a part of our child's life even if he isn't happy about it."

"Then what's he deciding?"

"If he should be a part of my life," Aurora quietly said. She didn't really know why she was telling Harry so much, but she guessed it was the hurt in his eyes. She then sighed heavily before combing a hand through her hair. "It's rather ridiculous if you think about it, but we've been skirting around this issue for years."

"So you do love Snape then?"

"Of course I do, Harry, and I suspect there's a part of him that likes me."

"Why aren't you two together then?"

"Oh, now there's a question that doesn't have a short answer," she responded with a large sigh. "Duty and obligation is the current excuse, but I know the real reason." She then clenched her teeth tightly as she felt the familiar anger surge through her.

"Which is?"

"Your mother," Aurora replied with a soft growl. She then glanced towards the young Gryffindor. "I don't know if Severus has told you anything about her, but they knew each other for years. They were always together until their fifth-year—"

"When he called her that name," Harry said softly.

"It nearly destroyed him. He apologized for days and begged her to forgive him. She wouldn't, though. Now, don't take this as me being bitter because I'm not, but your mother wrote him off. She always saw the good in others, and after awhile she just stopped trying with Severus." Aurora then scoffed. "Course that could just be my jealousy still at work," she said with a smile. "Your mother told me that one my third year. In fact, I doubt Severus even knows that he had a duel over him once."

"You fought my mother over Snape?"

"Oh, yes, and I won it too."

"So were you and my Mum like mortal enemies then or something?"

"It was more of two teenage girls fighting over a guy. Your mother believed that if I were with Severus, he'd be the next big dark wizard. She even hexed me and told me it was my fault after he took the Dark Mark. As if I ever wanted him to join that evil," Aurora said shaking her head furiously. "Your mother and I didn't get along. I admit that it was mostly due to jealousy of why I would throw curses at her. However, after that day by the lake, she decided he was beyond saving so she left me to pick up the pieces she broke. Then it was pure spite on my part. I can understand why she chose to end their friendship. Severus at times can be downright vicious when he wants to, but he begged her. He lowered himself so low to a house elf, and she just pushed him away as if he was nothing…as if their five years of friendship meant nothing to her. I didn't hate her, and I didn't ever think she deserved her fate. However, I did dislike her for how she treated him, and how quickly she went to James afterwards."

"Have you ever told him any of this?"

"I can only imagine how Snape would react if he knew that I hexed Lily Evans. After all, he still loves her, Harry. In his mind, she could do no wrong. The fact that she chose James over him rests solely on James in Severus's mind. If Lily had cursed his nose off, Severus would have found fault in others." Aurora then scoffed. "The spoilt princess never realized how loved she really was."

"My dad loved her."

"Oh, yes, James loved her, but for all the wrong reasons." She then glanced at Harry and caught the slight anger in his eyes. "Oh, don't listen to me, though, Harry. I'm just a bitter old woman who still hasn't gotten over her jealousy of your mother. I'm afraid a lot of us were jealous of her."

"Well, maybe I can help you win Snape then. I mean, I have her eyes."

Aurora schooled her features quickly so her mouth didn't drop to the floor. She couldn't believe Harry. That wasn't her point at all. While she'd indulge him for a bit, as soon as Harry was gone she was running straight to Severus. Harry's obsession for a family wasn't healthy, which anyone could tell by hearing his last words. It was frightening to hear him say he'd use the memory of his mother that way.

The End.


This story archived at http://www.potionsandsnitches.org/fanfiction/viewstory.php?sid=2135