Wings of an Angel by chrmisha
Summary: Dumbledore’s last secret unveils a chasm of unexpected emotion as the true parentage of Harry Potter is revealed. Severitus-like. ***COMPLETE***
Categories: Snape Equal Status to Harry > Comrades Snape and Harry, Parental Snape > Biological Father Snape Main Characters: .Snape and Harry (required), Ginny, Hermione
Snape Flavour: None
Genres: Action/Adventure, Angst, Drama, Family, Hurt/Comfort, Tragedy
Media Type: None
Tags: None
Takes Place: 8 - Post Hogwarts (young adult Harry)
Warnings: Character Death, Suicide Themes
Challenges: None
Series: None
Chapters: 9 Completed: Yes Word count: 11953 Read: 46583 Published: 04 May 2010 Updated: 04 May 2010
Chapter 3: Truth or Dare by chrmisha

Harry waited. He felt the electricity of the spell slide through his veins as if testing to see if there was a connection between Professor Snape and himself. He closed his eyes, afraid to know what the spell might reveal. Although Ginny and Ron had both described what it felt like, and he’d seen it with his own eyes, he was still woefully unprepared when the heat exploded from his skin. With a gasp, he opened his eyes as bands of blood red light wove themselves together, embracing his hand and Snape’s in an intimate spherical bond.  

Harry watched in both horror and fascination as the ruby red cage of light danced and shifted. He was too stunned to utter the denial that ran screaming through his mind.

Ginny lifted the wand, and both the red light, and the pulsing, burning sensation vanished.

Trembling, still holding Snape’s hand, Harry looked up only to be trapped by the blazing gaze of Severus Snape.

Harry let go of Snape’s hand like it was on fire and stumbled backward, falling onto his arse and letting out an oath.

“What the hell was that?” Snape demanded, torn between examining his hand and trying to read Harry’s expression.

Harry shook his head as he scrambled to his feet. His heart beat wildly and sweat poured down his back.

“Answer me, Potter!” Snape yelled.

Ginny jumped and edged towards the door.

“Dumbledore…” Harry managed to whisper, hoping to throw Snape off track.

“Dumbledore what?”

“He…” Harry croaked. His throat was parched. “He said… a letter…”

“Talk sense, boy!” Snape bellowed, sitting up in bed.

Harry shook his head, his thoughts still reeling as he backed towards the door, Ginny at his side.

As if coming out of a trance, Luna stepped forward. “Professor Snape,” she soothed, “It was only a bad dream. You’ve had them before you know.” Then Luna turned her protuberant eyes on Harry.

Harry wanted to hug Luna in gratitude. Instead, he nodded in thanks, and he and Ginny hurried from the room. He could still feel the tingle and tug of his heart which had rearranged itself to beat in time with Snape’s when the spell had confirmed the blood bond.


“You have to tell him,” Hermione said.

“No, I don’t,” Harry replied.

“No he doesn’t,” Ron said at the same time.

“Harry,” Hermione said, leaning in. "He knows something happened. It’s only a matter of time before he figures out what it means. And that’s assuming he didn’t hear the incantation, in which case, he likely already knows.”

Ginny put her hand on Harry’s knee and squeezed gently. “As much as I hate to say it, Harry, Hermione’s right. It’s only a matter of time before he figures it out on his own.”

“So let him,” Ron retorted. “Harry doesn’t owe that git anything!”

Ginny and Hermione exchanged a meaningful glance.

“Ron,” Hermione said, getting to her feet. “I think I heard your mom calling for us.”

“I didn’t hear anything,” Ron argued.

Hermione looked at him severely.

“Oh, right,” Ron said quickly. “Right. Well, see you later, Harry.” He clapped Harry on the shoulder as he followed Hermione out of the room.

“Harry,” Ginny said softly, turning to him. “I think I know what’s bugging you.”

“Aside from the fact that I don’t want Snape to be my father?"

Ginny smiled sadly. “Yes, aside from that. You’ve lived your whole life without a single adult you could count on, really count on. Even the adults who cared about you didn’t stick around for long. And here’s this one last person, who’s still alive, who might care about you if you gave him the chance…”

“Yeah, right,” said Harry bitterly, starting to get up. “Like Snape would ever…”

“Let me finish,” Ginny said, putting her hand on Harry’s shoulder to push him back down. “It’s a big risk, telling him. Because if he rejects you…”

Harry closed his eyes and swallowed against the lump in his throat. He’d lost too much, and to put his hope into a cruel and selfish man was the last thing he needed. “I don’t know, Ginny…”

“You can do this, Harry. And if he turns out to be the right git we always knew he was, then I’ll shoot the bat bogie hex and him and we’ll call it a day.”

Ginny put her arm around Harry and he leaned into her, smiling slightly as she placed a kiss on his cheek.


Harry returned late the next afternoon, after putting it off as long as he could. Ginny was right. He doubted there was any chance that Snape would be interested in being a father figure to Harry, but he was Harry’s father nonetheless. That thought still rankled.

When he entered Snape’s room, the look of hostility on the man’s face did not surprise him. To forestall Snape’s cruel remarks, Harry said quickly, “I owe you an apology, Professor. Last night…”

“Let me guess, Potter,” Snape said, steepling his hands. “That bit of magic was both ancient and complicated. And while I don’t know quite what it was, it is obvious that someone of your meager talents and intellect could not have come up with it on your own.”

Harry felt a rush of anger at the insult.

“Therefore, I am left to believe that Dumbledore put you up to this. Am I right, Potter?”

Harry said nothing.

Snape rolled his eyes. “I know that it has always been the Headmaster’s fondest desire that you and I become…” Snape hesitated as if there was a particular bad taste in his mouth before spitting out the word, “friends.” He cleared his throat. “Obviously, the old man has lost all sense of reason in his advanced age.”

“Right,” Harry said through gritted teeth.

“I’ve paid my dues to Dumbledore,” Snape said coldly. “I protected your sorry arse more than you ever deserved. So unless there’s something else you wanted to say, Potter,” Snape arched an eyebrow, “I would appreciate it if you’d get out of my room and leave me in peace.” Not breaking eye contact, Snape added cruelly, “Forever.”

The End.


This story archived at http://www.potionsandsnitches.org/fanfiction/viewstory.php?sid=2141