Wings of an Angel by chrmisha
Summary: Dumbledore’s last secret unveils a chasm of unexpected emotion as the true parentage of Harry Potter is revealed. Severitus-like. ***COMPLETE***
Categories: Snape Equal Status to Harry > Comrades Snape and Harry, Parental Snape > Biological Father Snape Main Characters: .Snape and Harry (required), Ginny, Hermione
Snape Flavour: None
Genres: Action/Adventure, Angst, Drama, Family, Hurt/Comfort, Tragedy
Media Type: None
Tags: None
Takes Place: 8 - Post Hogwarts (young adult Harry)
Warnings: Character Death, Suicide Themes
Challenges: None
Series: None
Chapters: 9 Completed: Yes Word count: 11953 Read: 46583 Published: 04 May 2010 Updated: 04 May 2010
Chapter 5: When Flowers Bloom by chrmisha

 

Mr. Potter, 

With regard to the most pressing matter of young Lily’s health, please be assured that I will offer whatever assistance you wish. I suggest we meet in person to discuss the details further. I will make myself available at your earliest convenience.

With regard to the issue of your paternity, I am left to wonder how things might have turned out differently had we both known the truth from the beginning.

S. Snape

The letter had come very early the next morning. If Harry was not mistaken, it was delivered by the same owl that nearly took his head off when Snape had answered the door of his home.

Harry read it first, then gave it to Ginny.

Ginny jumped into Harry’s arms, hugging him tightly. “He’s going to help Lily,” she said. “Bless him.”

Harry murmured in agreement and held Ginny tight for a moment. He felt the weight of fear and anxiety lift slightly from his shoulders. Snape was their last chance for saving their daughter’s life. There was no guarantee it would work, but a small spark of hope kindled within his heart at the possibility. That being settled, Harry pulled back and reached for the letter, reading it again: I am left to wonder how things might have turned out differently had we both known the truth from the beginning. Harry sighed and closed his eyes.

“Harry,” Ginny said, biting her lip. “I know you’re disappointed…”

“No, it’s great,” Harry said, mentally shaking himself. “I couldn’t be more happy that he’s going to help us with Lily. I mean, he doesn’t owe us anything.”

“I know, but…” Ginny took his hand. “Give him time, Harry. He’s just found out that you’re his son. You’ve had thirteen years to get used to the idea. He’s had little more than thirteen hours.”

Harry shifted his weight. It shouldn’t matter this much. “I suppose I should write him back, set up a time to meet.”

Ginny squeezed his shoulder. “It’s a risk, you know.”

“What is?”

“He doesn’t know what you want. All he remembers are the years you spent as a student. He treated you like crap and you hated him for it. We all hated him.”

Harry let out a snort of mirthless laughter.

“He doesn’t know what you think of him now, if you’ll accept him as your father. He doesn’t even know if you want him to be your father.”

“Who says he wants me as his son?” Harry retorted.

“If he didn’t, he wouldn’t have responded so quickly, or been so eager to help. He also wouldn’t be spending his time wondering how things might have turned out differently.”

Harry shrugged. He was afraid to hope that she was right.


“Are you nervous?”

“Yes,” Harry said. He’d thought about lying, but there was no use. Hermione’d see through him in an instant.

“It will be fine,” she said.

“You sound like Ginny,” Harry said.

“Well, she’s right,” Hermione concluded. “Snape gave you his word that he’d help.”

Harry ran his hands through his hair and blew out his breath through pursed lips. “Here we are then,” he said, holding open the door to the café for Hermione.

“Does he know I’m coming?” she asked.

Harry shook his head while he surveyed the room. At the very last table, Snape sat looking at them, a sour expression on his face.

“He doesn’t look any different,” Hermione commented.

“Maybe he dyes his hair,” Harry offered, smiling as Hermione burst out laughing, cutting the tension they both felt.

Snape stood as they approached the table. “Ms. Granger,” he said, extending his hand.

She shook it warmly. “I hope you don’t mind that I came along,” Hermione said. “I wanted to share with you my work so far. I am hoping you might find it useful.”

“Hermione’s a healer,” Harry added for clarification.

Snape nodded and sat back down, smoothing his robes beneath him.

“So,” Harry said, unsure where to start.

“How have you been Professor?” Hermione asked.

Snape raised an eyebrow at her. “I believe we are here to discuss young Lily,” Snape retorted. “As you were saying, Potter?”

Harry grimaced as Hermione shuffled in her seat next to him. Snape was dismissing her like they were back in school.

Harry glanced at Hermione, questioning if he should call the Professor on his behavior, but she shook her head as if to say “don’t bother.”

“Well,” Harry started, “Lily came down with the dragon pox on her second birthday. James and Albus had it too,” Harry paused, noting that the Professor rolled his eyes at the choice of names, “but they recovered just fine,” he rushed on. He felt the heat of anger rise in his cheeks. Who was Snape to judge Harry for what he named his children? And what would Snape think if he knew Albus’s middle name? Harry thought he’d save that bit of information for later. “Lily, though…” Harry said, trailing off.

Hermione leaned in and Harry was thankful for the help. “Lily seems to have some sort of genetic condition that predisposes her to immune dysfunction,” Hermione summarized. “When she got dragon pox, her body was not able to fight it off. But worse than that, the disease seems to have overwhelmed her immune system to such an extent that her body is slowly shutting down. We’ve tried everything, from potions to Muggle blood transfusions, but short of buying her extra time...”

Harry winced at Hermione’s words and felt her hand on his shoulder. Without looking up, he waited for her to continue.

In a softer voice, she added, “Well, here Professor.” She slid a black, cloth-bound book towards Snape. “These are all of my notes and all of the things that have been tried, as well as a description of the disorder.”

Snape took the book without opening it. “Are there any other known cases?”

“Yes,” Harry said dully.

When Harry said no more, Hermione said softly. “There are eight other known cases. All of the children passed away before their fifth birthday.”

Harry looked up to see a look of horror briefly flit across Snape’s face.

Snape cleared his throat before saying, “What do you wish me to do, Potter?”

Harry deferred to Hermione, who said “Well, Professor, there’s one avenue we haven’t been able to try yet. It’s a combination Muggle-Magical treatment that has some potential, although I haven’t worked out all of the details. It appears that if we can get blood samples from all of the living grandparents, and separate out Harry’s mom’s DNA from his blood, then maybe we can replace Lily’s blood and give her a healthier, yet compatible supply. She shouldn’t reject the blood of her direct relatives, and yet the recessive genes that are causing this degenerative disorder, which makes her unable to heal from her parents’ blood alone, should help her. I think.”

Snape closed his eyes a minute, before opening them and looking between Harry and Hermione. “Let me get this straight. You want me to give a blood sample which can be combined with that of Mr. and Mrs. Weasley’s. You also want me to remove my components from Harry’s blood, leaving behind what you hope is Harry’s mother’s blood, and add that to the concoction as well. And filter out any recessive genes that might be causing Lily’s ailment. Is that correct?”

Harry and Hermione both nodded before Hermione added, “Yes. But there’s more to it than that.”

“Of course there is,” Snape commented.

Hermione paused before continuing. “There is a potion similar to the blood replenishing potion, but much more complicated, that will enable the combined blood specimens to be reproduced in enough quantity to replace Lily’s blood. And then…”

Snape raised a hand, looking dubious. “And what makes you think this might work, Ms. Granger?”

“We tried something similar already,” Hermione responded.

“But then we had only Mr. and Mrs. Weasley’s blood.” Harry added. “We didn’t have yours. My aunt Petunia is the only living relative on my mother’s side. And even if she was willing to help, which I doubt, she’s not magical, so her blood wouldn’t be compatible.”

“So we didn’t replace her blood, we just added blood,” Hermione said, “to see what would happen.”

“And the results were?” Snape inquired.

“She seemed to get better for a couple of months,” Harry responded, Hermione’s comment of buying her extra time ringing in his ears.

“It’s all in the book,” Hermione added, pointing to the volume she’d passed to Snape. “Everything I’ve been able to find. I could brew the potion myself, but I’m not a potions master and I’d feel better if you’d do it. If you’re willing, that is.”

“I will look at your notes, Ms. Granger, and let you know what I think.”

“If you have any questions,” Harry added, “or if you’d like to meet Lily…”

“I know where to find you,” Snape said.

The End.


This story archived at http://www.potionsandsnitches.org/fanfiction/viewstory.php?sid=2141