Adventures After Babysitting by hpfanficfan
Summary: Snape spent a month looking after baby Harry. But now, Harry is back to his 15 year old self. Will life ever be the same again? Sequel to Adventures in Babysitting.
Categories: Teacher Snape > Trusted Mentor Snape, Teacher Snape > Professor Snape Main Characters: .Snape and Harry (required), Dumbledore, Fred George, Hermione, McGonagall, Pomfrey, Ron
Snape Flavour: Canon Snape, Snape Comforts, Snape is Depressed, Snape is Kind, Snape is Stern
Genres: Drama, General, Humor
Media Type: None
Tags: Amnesia, Deaged!Harry, Hospitalization, Injured!Harry
Takes Place: 5th Year
Warnings: None
Challenges: None
Series: None
Chapters: 9 Completed: Yes Word count: 21205 Read: 43838 Published: 15 May 2010 Updated: 30 Jun 2014
Chapter 4 by hpfanficfan

Harry felt very anxious about the first potions class, despite his friends' assurance that everything will be fine. Thankfully, the class was mostly uneventful - unless you count the fact that Snape deducted 10 points from Malfoy when he teased Harry about his de-aging. Otherwise, Snape did not so much look in Harry's direction and Harry wouldn't have had it any other way.

That evening, Harry mulled over what Professor Dumbledore and his friends told him. So far, Professor Snape hadn't been mean or unfair to Harry. Harry thought that being ignored by the Potions Master was more preferable to being ridiculed. Snape was definitely not himself. He hadn't even bugged Harry when he botched up his potion.

Harry turned over in his bed and pulled the covers closer around him.

"He has done quite a lot of you, as you will soon learn. Believe it or not, he has come to care for you a great deal."

"But Professor Snape has really been taking care of you for the past month."

"Well…I'm not sure if it was meant to be or not. But Snape did, kind of, carry you around and stuff."

Professor Dumbledore, Hermione and Ron had said these things. Of all the people in the whole world, he trusted these three the most. They would never lie about him about something like this. They wouldn't lead him astray. Even Ron, who had always been the first to bad-mouth Snape, was telling him that Snape wasn't so bad anymore.

With his whole life in constant turmoil from being the Boy Who Lived and "boy who gets attacked by Death Eaters and Dementors", Harry certainly did not need another complication in his life. Now he was getting conflicted feelings about Snape. He didn't want to believe what the others have been telling him.

Technically, a nice Snape would be a good thing. So he should be happy that Snape wasn't being a git anymore. But waking up one morning and finding out that the man who hates your guts suddenly and supposedly, cared about you, was beyond Harry's comprehension and understanding.

So Snape babysat Harry for a month. How could things have changed that much?

It was awhile before he fell asleep.

Ooo0o0ooO

"You really ought to thank him," Hermione urged him late one night as they sat in front of the fireplace, quizzing each other on Charms.

Harry turned to Hermione. "What?"

"I said…"

"I heard what you said. I don't know…" Harry mumble and looked into the fire.

"Just go to his office and get it over with."

"He'll make fun of me."

"I'm sure he won't. He hasn't so far has he?"

"No. But how would you know he won't start?"

"Trust me, he won't," Hermione remarked confidently.

Harry was not convinced. "Yeah, right."

"You won't believe me. But things have changed a lot since you de-aged yourself."

"Lucky me," Harry grumbled. Everyone's been telling him that. Problem was that he couldn't remember any of it.

"Yes, Harry. You are lucky."

Harry whined."Do I have to?"

"No. But you should."

Harry knows he should, out of politeness if nothing else. Professor Snape had gave a lot of time and energy to babysit him. Harry realized that now, thanks to Hermione's constant reminders. And then there were those promises that he made to Professor Dumbledore. "I can't believe you're making me do this."

Hermione smiled. "Just give him a chance. You won't regret it."

00oo0o0oo00

Inside the quarters reserved for the Potions Master, Severus paced to and forth. A lot have been on his mind lately and all of them about damn Potter. Try as he might, Severus couldn't erase the memories of the past month from taking over his thoughts.

Severus convinced himself that it was only natural to think about Potter when he was right under his nose. In fact, it was tremendously difficult not to think about the brat when he was screaming bloody murder. But now he had no such excuse. Potter was no longer sitting in his lap in his direct line of vision and the brat was not screaming or making boisterous sounds loud enough to rupture an eardrum.

Harry was back to Potter, the teenager he had and certainly still has an aversion to.

Many years ago he had made a commitment and a promise to Harry's mother that he would watch over Harry and protect the child. But now it seems that he a different motivation to do so. Severus actually felt like he still cared about Harry. Which is ridiculous because the toddler he looked after and begun to care for didn't exist anymore.

He should be thankful that Potter was back to normal and no longer being a screaming, drooling baby. But he wasn't happy.

Severus had been avoiding Potter and his gang of rugrats. It had only been a few days and already, he was missing the companion of the toddler. A part of him had even wanted to spoil the potion, so that he could have a little more time with Harry. But no, the longer he waited, the harder it would have been to let go. In addition, it would not have been fair to Harry. Harry had a life and who was he to take it away?

Severus continued to pace around the room.

What to do? What to do?

During today's potions class, he avoided making eye contact. And as far as he knew, the young Gryffindor wanted nothing to do with him. Severus found it infuriatingly impossible to berate Harry for having, once again, failed at brewing a simple potion. Furthermore, when Draco mocked Harry, he sent shockwaves throughout Hogwarts by deducting points from his own house the first time since the year began.

However, what was most the alarming was that he continued to catch himself addressing the boy as Harry instead of Mr. Potter or simply Potter.

Severus sat down in his chair rubbed his face. What spell have you cast upon me Harry Potter?

Knock Knock

Severus ignored the knock, he was in no mood to talk to anyone.

Knock knock knock

When the person at the door refused to go away and he intended to give whoever is on the other side a month's detention.

Reluctantly, he got up and wrenched the door open.

"What do you want?" he yelled sharply without seeing who it was.

Harry shrank back, "Sorry, Professor Snape."

"Ha…Mr. Potter," Severus said, taken by surprise. He knew instantly that someone likely made the boy come down here tonight. Harry looked anxious and uncomfortable, but Severus was taken aback by the genuineness in Harry's voice when he spoke.

"Um…I just…just wanted to say…" Harry stumbled over his words but finally manages a quick 'thank you'. It took him a full half an hour to gather up enough courage to knock on the stone door. Now he looked down at the floor and the hem of Snape's robes, waiting for a rebuke.

Harry may not have come to thank him on his own free will, but the simple gesture meant a lot to Severus. He was surprised, but pleased. Well, both can play at that game, Severus mused.

"You are welcome, Mr. Potter," the Potions Master replied.

o0oo0oo0o

In the next few days, the tension between the Potions Master and Harry settled somewhat. Hermione commented that it would be really difficult for them to ignore each other forever, as neither of them were going anywhere and Harry still had 2 more years of school left. She was also very pleased with herself when Harry had told her that she had been right all along and Snape didn't make fun of him.

It was two weeks later that Harry and Severus talked to each other again.

Severus had become accustomed to night patrol. That did not mean he had to like it. Believe it or not, he would rather sleep than walk around in the dark, deserted hallways looking for disobedient students. Even Argus Filch gave up his hunt for troublemakers at this ungodly hour. Sometime, somewhere and somehow the duty of night patrol landed squarely on his shoulders. He doesn't get paid enough for this.

After doing the same mundane job for over 10 years, Severus has memorized the hallways like the inside of his closet. He knows each corner, every short-cut and every potential hideout. The Slytherin head of house was so skilled at this task that he does not even need lumos to light his way - which was helpful in catching students off guard and giving them the fright of their young lives.

Tonight was like any other night. Not fifteen minutes into his shift, Severus caught sight of a short figure in a hall on the second floor, looking out a window.

He advanced, preparing to take the wayward student by surprise and scold them till kingdom come. As he got closer though, he recognized the silhouette to be none other than Harry. Severus heaved a sigh and decided right then and there that he was going to give Harry…er, Potter a verbal thrashing.

Severus approached stealthily and coughed. "Ehm ehm."

Harry startled and nearly jumped out of his shoes when he heard a deep voice speak. He had been so engrossed in his thoughts that he didn't see or hear the Potions Master approaching.

"Professor!" Harry cried out, quickly rubbing his eyes.

The moon lit up Harry's face and in the faint light Severus could see that the child's eyes were red and puffy.

Immediately, Severus' annoyance turned into concern and he lost all of his previous determination to scold the boy. Severus walked over and stopped in front of the short Gryfindor. He put on a stern but unthreatening voice, saying, "care to tell me why you are out of bed at this hour, Mr. Potter?"

Harry lowered his head and clasped his hands behind him. "I…I couldn't sleep."

"You could not sleep?" Severus echoed questioningly.

"No…I uh, had a dream," Harry admitted in a slightly panicked voice.

"I see," Severus replied. He folded his arms and asked incredulously, "you're to tell me that, you broke curfew because you had a bad dream?"

"I'm sorry, sir." Harry's answer was barely audible. "I just…never mind."

"Go on. Tell me, what makes you think you can wander around after hours, exposing yourself to danger, just because you had a bad dream?"

"I thought Hogwarts was supposed to be safe…" Harry muttered cheekily.

Severus' expression didn't change at Harry's small defiant tone. He was astounded at how rebellious the boy sounded, standing there hunched over and looking sullen.

He really should have deducted points, but instead, he only gave Harry a warning. "Insolence, Potter. It is far too late for me to deal with your insolence. One more cheek, and it'll be detention. Now, answer my question."

Harry shrugged. "I have nightmares. I like it out here. It's quiet and calm out here. I can clear my head. I won't do it again. Can I go back to my dorm now."

The teenager tried to escape by moving around Severus, but was stopped with a hand.

"Not so fast, Potter," Severus drawled. "Given your track record, I don't believe for a minute that you won't try this again. Were you dreams about the Dark Lord?"

Harry nodded mutely.

Severus pinched the bridge of his nose. Looks like his own sleep will have to be delayed. "Alright, come with me."

Harry eyed the potions professor dubiously, staying where he was. He wasn't keen on going anywhere with Snape at this time of night. Who knows what the professor had in mind for him!

"Quickly, Potter," Severus said authoritatively, already turning to leave. "I don't have all night."

Harry hesitated a moment before following with a forlorn expression on his face.

"Um, where are we going, sir?" He dared to ask.

"My quarters." Severus answered swiftly.

"What? Why?" Harry asked, confused and quite a bit wary of going anywhere near Snape's quarters. He and his dorm-mates sometimes wondered about what Snape's living quarters were like. Rumours were that Snape lived in a real dungeon with all kinds of dungeon-y things. There was also wide speculation that the professor's animagus was a bat and that's how he slept at night, hanging upside down from the ceiling. Come to think of it, Snape being a bat would also explain how he could navigate Hogwarts in pitch black and sneaked up on him all the time. Harry was definitely curious, but he wasn't sure if he wanted to find out.

"We need to discuss a few things before you go to bed," Severus explained.

Harry groaned under his breathe. He was fairly sure that Snape would tear him to bits and throw his sorry self in a cellar to clean and polish cauldrons. But what choice did he have? He was too tired to argue anyway.

"Don't worry, you'll live."

Harry gulped.

When they got to their destination, however, what Severus did was the last thing Harry suspected: he offered Harry a cup of hot cocoa.

Was he dreaming? Harry though. Because the current scenario was impossible!

"Cocoa helps soothe the body and the mind," Severus stated after he sat Harry down onto a chair in front of a round oak table. He thought he was done worrying about Harry's bedtime when the boy was back to 15 year old self. Obviously, he was wrong.

"It also relieves insomnia. Be careful, it is hot."

Harry stared down into the mug speechlessly and then looked up at Severus like he's just sprouted a Cerberus head. When he boy entered he potion master's room, he was astonished at how ordinary it looked. There were no dungeon-y furniture, or gothic décor. Instead, there was plain furniture, an oil painting and an antique dragon statuette.

Severus sat down on the chair opposite of Harry as if this was their usual routine. The fact was this wasn't the first time he'd stayed up late, offering a cuppa to help a troubled boy or girl.

"You have a habit of wandering the halls after curfew, Mr. Potter," Severus enounced. "I catch you several times a year in your misdemeanour. Neither points nor detention seem to have any impact at all. What do you suggest we do to curb you of this bad habit?"

Harry shrugged, slumped over in his chair.

"I've been thinking," Severus continued. "Instead of waiting and reacting to your misbehaviour, perhaps I can find a way to prevent it. Why don't you tell me why you have so much trouble staying in bed?"

Harry bit his lip, wracking his brains for an answer that would please his professor. Finally he said the truth, "I have nightmares that's all. It's nothing."

"Am I correct in assuming that these nightmares concern what happened last year?"

Harry nodded.

Severus' brows bumped together in a frown. "These nightmares are affecting your sleep and your ability to follow the rules. Clearly, they are not nothing. Drink your cocoa."

Harry half obeyed and surrounded the hot mug with his hands. "I'm used to them," he revealed, trying to be nonchalant about the whole thing.

Severus shook his head, "That appears to be the issue, Mr. Potter. Your dreams are causing insomnia, which you attempt to relieve by taking strolls in the middle of the night. You are used to it because it has been your routine for years. Do you not see a problem with your habit?"

Harry shrugged again, looking down as to avoid eye contact at all cost.

"Are you not going to answer?"

Harry sighed angrily. "I don't know. I'm breaking the rules I guess."

"Is that all?" Severus drawled. "You don't seem to be very concerned with that."

"It's the only thing that helps, alright!" Harry blurted out in self defense. "I have nightmares all the time and I turn around in bed for hours and every time I close my eyes all I see is him or Cedric dying or something else awful!"

"Do not raise your voice at me," Severus said calmly but with a degree of authority that instantly made Harry deflate.

"Sorry."

Severus accepted he apology with a nod. He was surprised at how tolerant he was feeling towards Harry's attitude. "Have you talked to anyone about these nightmares?"

"Won't help," Harry answered shortly.

"You should talk to someone about what happened, it is unhealthy to keep it all to yourself. Drink your cocoa."

Harry shrugged miserably but he finally took a deep sip from his hot cocoa, enjoying the sweet, smooth liquid as it ran down his throat.

"I recommend that you find someone to talk to. You have friends, don't you." Severus asked rhetorically.

"They won't understand. Nobody does."

Severus eyed Harry with concern. Of course they wouldn't, thought Severus, not completely. He understood. He could speak to Albus and Minerva about his troubles and they would support him through thick and thin. But his position as a double agent is so unique, how could he expect his colleagues to understand?

"Perhaps they won't and they may not be able to solve your problems. But you may feel better, by sharing your troubles and not baring it all on your own. You at least, have friends to support you." Severus knew all too well about bearing it all on his own. He could only wish he had friends that would simply listen…things may have turned out very differently for him had that been the case.

"Yeah? Like how Ron supported me last year? Some friend," Harry said resentfully and immediately felt bad about speaking ill of his best friend in front of Snape. He wasn't mad about that any more, he was just in a foul mood.

"What Mr. Weasley did was wrong. He was caught in a bout of childish jealousy," said Severus. The row between the two Gryffindors had been source of chatter throughout the school last year, even the faculty were aware of it. Not that he paid any attention to the going ons of student drama. "He has since made amends and you are friends again, is that not true? Don't tell me you are still holding a grudge."

"No," Harry said and turned his attention to playing with the handle of his mug.

"You are extremely fortunate when it comes to friends, Mr. Potter. As dimwitted as you may be, I should think you are aware of that at least. When I was your age I had few friends to confide in. I had no choice but to deal with things on my own. For the longest time I thought I could handle things by myself, without anyone's help. However, there were times when I would have given anything to have friends like you do, Mr. Potter. Do not take them for granted."

Harry drank again from his mug and began thinking about what the older man had said. He had experienced life without friends for 10 long years, and it sucked. Having friends like Ron and Hermione was the best thing that had happened to him. Ever since first year and the Philosopher Stone, they hid no secrets from one another. Then just this summer, he had a right row with Ron and Hermione for not telling him everything about the Order of the Phoenix. And he knew if Ron or Hermione was feeling unwell, he'd want to know. Maybe Snape was right, Harry considered. He has been through so much with them; maybe they deserved to know?

"Think about it, Mr. Potter. Do not underestimate your friends, they may understand more than you think," Severus advised.

"Fine," Harry answered solemnly.

"It is also helpful to find an adult to confide in, one who can help you make decisions. Preferably somebody who can cure you of your hero complex. You may be the Boy Who Lived, but the world is not yours to save. Your only duty is to keep up with your studies and worry about girls, not fighting the Dark Lord or going after basilisks."

"You don't know anything! I don't go looking for life and death situations, I just end up there somehow. And I don't have a hero complex, but what do you expect me to do when someone or something is trying to kill me!"

Severus shook his head in exasperation. "Only you would end up in such predicaments, Potter."

"It's not my fault."

"In any case, I highly recommend that you allow adults to handle things, rather than barge into dangerous situations, ignorant and ill prepared. But don't worry about that now. For the moment, I am concerned about these nightmares you have been having. Like I said, a wiser individual could help you interpret these dreams and why you are having them. Perhaps you should speak to Madam Pomprey. She is an excellent counselor."

Harry's frown deepened, thinking to himself. Great, now Snape thinks he's crazy. It wasn't easy for him to talk to adults and there wasn't that many he was willing to talk to. He could always talk to Sirius, but Sirius wasn't always easy to get a hold of. Professor Dumbledore and Professor McGonagall would probably help him, but he didn't want to bother them with his stupid dreams. They had more important things to worry about, like the Order of the Phoenix and their duties with the school.

"I guess," said Harry before he opened his mouth in a big yawn.

Severus nodded. "You should go to bed," he got up to his cupboard and brought out a vial of potion and handed it to Harry. "Dreamless sleep. Try to use it sparingly; the instructions are on the label. I trust that you can read?"

"Yes...thanks," Harry managed to say, Snape just kept on surprising him tonight.

"I will escort you back to your dorm, then," Severus said and gestured Harry to get up.

Harry finished up the rest of his cocoa and smacked his lips. He should do this more often. Drink hot cocoa that is, not talk to Snape. There was silence as the two made their way to Gryffindor Tower. Harry felt awkward. He just wasn't used to decent Snape and he wasn't sure what to make of the past half hour. Harry chuckled at the thought of Ron and Hermione's reaction when he tells them what happened.

"Something amusing, Potter?" Severus questioned, looking down to see a smile on Harry's face. Hearing Harry laugh made him feel like he'd accomplished something tonight. Whether the boy took his words to heart or not, he'd at least lifted the boy's spirit.

"Oh, nothing," said Harry as they approached his dorm. "Just thinking of what Ron and Hermione would say if I told them that you caught me out of bounds and I ended up having hot cocoa instead of detention."

"I don't recall saying anything about detention. However, seeing as your rule breaking is linked with insomnia, I will let you off easy today." Severus said as they got to Fat Lady paining, he whispered the password and ushered Harry in.

Harry frowned. "You're not going to take points?"

Severus looked down at the boy. Two months ago, he would have taken off 20 points and gave Harry at least one detention. But things were not the same anymore.

"Next time, Mr. Potter. Now go to bed. Do not let me catch you again Mr. Potter or I will issue a reprimand," Severus warned.

"Yes, sir."

Once Harry was inside, Severus smiled. He felt like he'd accomplished something in their short conversation. He may not turn out to be Harry's confidant, but he was pleased that he could guide Harry in the direction of one.

The Potions Master turned and strolled leisurely back to his quarters.

The End.


This story archived at http://www.potionsandsnitches.org/fanfiction/viewstory.php?sid=2149