Riddle in Mind by watercrystals
Summary: Three days before Harry's 11th birthday, a mysterious piece of magic is performed and he meets a boy his age. A boy named Tom Riddle. He is very real, although Harry is the only one who can see and hear him. And when they attend Hogwarts, no one can comprehend the outcome of this friendship.
Two orphans deprived of a loving family, both raised in the muggle world even though they are half-bloods, both sorted into Slytherin and can speak the language of snakes...but is their future the same? Severus Snape will do everything to prevent this, but is it already too late?
Categories: Teacher Snape > Trusted Mentor Snape, Parental Snape > Guardian Snape Main Characters: .Snape and Harry (required), Draco, Other, Voldemort
Snape Flavour: None
Genres: Angst, Drama, General, Hurt/Comfort, Mystery
Media Type: None
Tags: Alternate Universe, Runaway, Slytherin!Harry, Snape-meets-Dursleys
Takes Place: 1st summer before Hogwarts, 1st Year
Warnings: Neglect, Violence
Challenges: None
Series: None
Chapters: 5 Completed: No Word count: 16513 Read: 14811 Published: 17 May 2010 Updated: 30 Nov 2010
Story Notes:

Waiting on my beta for a fic and the others are being updated frequently, so I thought to share with you one of my most favourite fics to write.

1. Tom Riddle by watercrystals

2. Snakes by watercrystals

3. The Secret Slytherin by watercrystals

4. Severus and Suspicion by watercrystals

5. A Matter of Difference by watercrystals

Tom Riddle by watercrystals

He hated his cupboard. It was too small, dusty and he often hit his head on the underneath of the stairs when he stood upright. But Harry had no choice other than to live there, when he wasn't doing chores, of course. He was hungry and a bit cold, but also angry; letters have been arriving for him each day for some time now and still his Uncle forbid him to have a single one. He had argued the matter and the result was being locked inside his cupboard without supper.

'I hate this.' Harry grumbled to no one in particular as he sat on his makeshift bed and crossed his arms. 'They're my letters...they're for me!' He scowled angrily. His head began to throb as it had been since he'd the nightmare about the green flash and scream again two nights ago, although it had never made his forehead hurt for so long before. Harry rubbed his scar while still thinking about how he wished he was strong enough to snatch the letters from his uncle's hands and tear them open to read. He was so infuriated that he even envisioned another “strange incident” like when he had appeared on the school roof when Dudley had been chasing him or how his hair had grown back after his aunt had hacked it off. He thought of his uncle turning into a prune and being squashed, he thought of his aunt turning into a horse and Dudley...well, his cousin was already practically a pig.

Harry gasped as his scar hurt more deeply and his head spun with dizziness. The cupboard suddenly seemed larger and his surroundings further away, but Harry had little time to take in the strangeness as he forced his eyes closed in effort to endure the pain. He heard something unfamiliar and a smoky vapor appeared before him as he re-opened his eyes and stared at it. He thought he saw a snake-like face, then there was a teenage boy in old-fashioned clothing and just as Harry thought he noticed a younger face; the cupboard burst into flames.

Harry yelped and inched away but each wall, the door and the stairs above were flickering with orange fire. Although he noticed that it didn't hurt him. The vapor was still scarcely visible behind the fire near the opposite wall and soon the flames split like curtains to reveal a boy standing bedside his bed. He stared at Harry for a moment in his grey shorts, high socks and black shoes as well as his grey shirt and slightly darker jacket. The flames vanished so quickly that Harry's eyes became unfocused for a moment as he stared at the strange boy who had somehow appeared inside his cupboard.

'Wh-who are you?' Harry demanded to know while the boy looked around their small space and ducked lightly to avoid the underneath of the stairs.

'Where am I?' The boy asked with a suspicious and untrusting glare and did not answer Harry's question.

'My cupboard.' Harry answered with a similar expression. 'There was fire and...you just...appeared.' He stared in shock to what had happened, still trying to decide if it had truly been real or not.

'Who are you?' He asked and while Harry frowned at not receiving an answer to his own question, he decided to reply anyway.

'Harry Potter.'

'Harry Potter?' The boy whispered and realization dawned on his face as though he was absorbing a vast pile of shocking knowledge all at once. 'Hello Harry Potter.' He held out a hand for him to shake.

'I'm Tom Riddle'.

'Nice to meet you, Tom.' Harry answered, still confused but reached out to shake the boy's hand anyway.

'I will explain what happened.' Tom said as he moved and on the edge of Harry's “bed” and stared at him with interest, now seemingly more aware of what was going on from the moment he learned the other boy's name.

'First, how old are you?' Tom asked with mildly masked curiosity and still appeared to be cautious.

'Eleven, in three days.' Harry replied as the shock was starting to wear off and he was eager to hear the boy's story, all while praying that his relatives didn't find him and make the other boy leave.

'I'm Eleven too.' Tom nodded. 'And ten years ago, your parents were killed by a different me.' He said, his tone never changed and nor did his expression. 'At this time, I am known as “Lord Voldemort” and he tried to kill you as well. But it didn't work, although a piece of himself and his powers were transfered into you by accident...that part is me. I am who he used to be.' Tom concluded.

'I...I was told that my parents died in a car crash.' Harry frowned.

'By who?' Tom inquired with a look that clearly showed annoyance.

'My aunt and uncle.' Harry answered and his anger towards them increased; he was also pleased when the other boy seemed to despise them as well even though he had never met them.

'Liars!' Tom spat. 'Voldemort murdered them.'

'But why? What did they do to you...I mean, him?' Harry clenched his fists and wasn't so sure if he wanted this boy to stay anymore.

Tom only shrugged. 'Something to do with a prophecy.' He said as his expression calmed. 'I am not sure.' Tom looked around their space once again with renewed interest.

'Why are we in a cupboard?'

'This is my room.' Harry blushed slightly while trying not to think upon the fact that this was a younger version of the evil man that had killed his family. 'Wait, you said his powers were transfered to me...what does that mean?'

Tom stared at him for a moment and then glanced upwards, seeing the little light bulb hanging above them and his eyes narrowed as he looked back at Harry. He now knew that there was nothing magical about the household in which they were in.

'Muggles.' He growled.

'What's a muggle?' Harry asked and wasn't sure if he should be concerned or not.

'Non-magic people.' Tom said. 'They're not a wizard like me. Or...like you.' He added although he seemed reluctant with including Harry. 'They have no magic at all.'

'Magic? Wizard?' Harry's eyes were wide. 'But I can't be a...a wizard!'

'You are.' Tom said with a note of finality and fell silent.

'What happens now?' Harry asked after a moment of the only sounds being the TV in the living room distance. 'You can't stay here, if they find you...' He started to worry, not realizing that his aunt and uncle weren't too far away and would have surely heard their chatter or else the strange fire.

'I can hide myself from anyone.' Tom revealed a little smugly. 'Only you can see or hear me. You speak to me with your mind and that way no one is suspicious.' He explained. 'If there is no room for me...I can disappear for a while.'

Harry felt a headache as he tried to take in everything he'd heard so far and closed his eyes for a brief moment just as the TV in the living room was switched off and the Dursleys headed to bed.

'Sleep.' Tom instructed firmly. 'You will see me tomorrow.' And then he faded away into vapor and Harry was left on his own once again. Or so it appeared.

'Sleep, Harry Potter.' The voice reached his ears and yet he felt it inside his head at the same time.

Seeing no other choice and with mental exhaustion sweeping over him, Harry lay down in his bed and tried to fall asleep. He dreamed of the green flash again that night, although his scar no longer hurt when he awoke.


'Up!' Petunia's voice pulled Harry from his slumber early the following morning. 'Get up! Now!'

'Rude muggle.' Tom said while covering his ears in effort to block her out. He pain no attention to the fact that he had startled Harry when the other boy noticed him standing exactly where he had the previous night. Harry pulled on his glasses quickly and sat upright but shook his head with a sigh and made his way out of the cupboard to begin his task of making breakfast for his relatives.

'There you are.' Petunia frowned at Harry while Tom moved out of the cupboard and lingered behind to look around curiously. 'Cook the breakfast and don't burn it!'

'Yes, aunt Petunia.' Harry sighed and moved to do as he was told while Tom slowly walked into the room, sidestepping out of Petunia's path as she headed into the living room. She may not hear or see him, but she would certainly had felt Tom and he expressed no desire to be touched by such a muggle nor discovered by anyone he displeased.

'What are you doing?' Tom stood beside Harry with his eyebrows narrowed. 'Cooking? Why aren't they doing it?'

'It's my job'. Harry said to him, only he heard the words inside his own head and realized that Tom had been right about voiding suspicion. He turned to see if the other boy (who was almost the same height as himself, he now noticed), to see if he had heard him.

'Is that all?' Tom questioned.

'I also clean, do gardening and stuff.' Harry shrugged.

'They treat you like a house-elf!' Tom was enraged by this although it was only shown in his eyes and clenched fists as well as his harshly whispered tone. His expression was more controlled but displeased all the same.

'What's-' Harry went to ask but Vernon's voice snapped him from the curiosity with his annoyed tone.

'Hurry up! Where's my coffee, boy?' He growled.

'Yes, Uncle Vernon.' Harry sighed and moved to pour the coffee into his cup that sat atop the table, waiting for him.

'I'm hungry!' Dudley declared as he entered the room and glared at Harry while he sat down into the chair beside Vernon.

'I think he has eaten enough.' Tom looked disgusted as he stared at Dudley and Harry had to suppress a snort of amusement.

He returned to cooking breakfast and placed the sausages on the plates provided and then put them on the table as his aunt returned and sat comfortably in her seat at the table.

'There are only three plates.' Tom observed with a hiss and turned sharply towards Harry, who was now standing in the corner of the kitchen to watch them eat.

'I feel your hunger,' Tom's tone changed quickly as he sounded merely curious. 'And yet you do not eat with them.' He sounded annoyed again; his mood swings were hard for Harry to keep up with.

'I eat afterwards, if there's anything left.' Harry felt ashamed to admit and stared at the floor.

CRASH!

A plate slid off the counter and smashed against the kitchen floor, causing the Dursleys and Harry to jump. Tom seemed unsurprised and turned to glare at Dudley, who was now choking and turning blue.

'Stop it!' Harry said when he realized what was going on while Vernon eyed him in fury and Petunia desperately tried to help Dudley.

Tom glanced at Harry and relaxed although his expression remained. The choking stopped and the plate rose back onto the counter as it repaired itself.

'You....You...' Vernon stood and waved a fat finger at Harry, who backed away slightly with nervous eyes. The owls chose that worst timing to attempt to deliver more letters.

'What is that?' Harry asked when he heard sounds coming from the living room and Tom turned quickly towards the noise also, all interest in the Dursleys gone. He left the kitchen and Harry followed, grinning in amazement when letters after letters erupted from the fireplace and rained down on him. He stood on a coffee table and reached for them while the Dursleys screamed and Vernon tried to stop him from getting a letter. Tom stood near the back and just stared at all the letters with mild fascination but kept his distance from what was going on.

'Come back here with that letter!' Vernon shouted when Harry ran from the room and tried to get into his cupboard. Tom paused but couldn't follow since Petunia and Dudley had blocked the way and they would surely notice him shoving past.

'They're my letters!' Harry yelled back and felt his uncle grabbing him. He fought as much as he could but knew that he was going to lose again his bigger and stronger uncle.

'That's it!' Vernon shouted. 'We're going away! Far away where they can't find us!'

Tom remained silent as the letters continued to rain, Harry continued to struggle and then as quickly as it had started...it stopped.

--

Within an hour, they had packed and were getting into the car. Vernon grabbed Harry by the scuff of his neck and shoved in in beside Dudley, who was looking nervous all whilst complaining about his TV shows. Harry saw Tom standing outside the car as he faded away to vapor and was glad to know that at least he wouldn't be alone.

'Tell me more about magic,' Harry asked Tom once he realized it was going to be a long drive and settled back in his seat. 'Who sent the letters? Do you know?'

'Hogwarts,' Tom answered. 'Albus Dumbledore.' He added and proceeded to fill Harry in on the details of their world and what to expect, such as shopping in Diagon Alley and riding the Hogwarts Express.


For two days they stayed at the shack on the rock out at sea. Harry came to realize that even though Tom could disappear into his mind, he still needed to eat, drink and stay warm like everyone else. Usually these were shared if he faded away (as harry called it), so the boys could share magic etc. Tom did this as little as possible because it was quite clear that he despised sharing in any form, but this eased up lightly when the nights were cold and they shared the blanket as they slept on the stone floor.

It was the end of July and the boys lay on their stomachs as Harry drew a cake in the dirt and checked Dudley's watch to see that it was almost midnight. He had managed to save a pair of overlarge pants for Tom when they had been forced to pack quickly; the other boy now wore them over his shorts to keep warm although he hated the clothes just as Harry did.

While Harry made a wish, Tom stared at him and pushed his mind into Harry's, using his learned power of Legilemens to find out what Harry was wishing for.

A home away from the Dursleys with my new friend.” He had thought and Tom pulled back in surprise. Harry thought he was his friend? Even after what he'd told him his older self had done? And even though he still barely knew him at all?

Harry blew out the pretend candles and there was suddenly a loud knock at the door. Both boys quickly sat upright in surprise and Tom even got to his feet. He was also quite furious that he hasn't got his wand with him, making him feel more powerless than he usually was.

The knocking continued and increased in volume; even with the storm raging outside, everyone could hear it clearly. Dudley had bolted awake and his parents came downstairs. All three boys were startled to notice that Vernon was carrying a shotgun.

'Who's there?' Vernon asked and the knocking stopped. The door opened and revealed a tall figure dressed in black robes and with shoulder-length hair. He stepped out of the rain, seemingly dry, and eyed everyone in the room.

'You!' Petunia hissed when she recognized the man to be an adult Severus Snape.

'Yes. I see you have not changed at all, Petunia.' Severus frowned and his eyes narrowed dangerously when he saw the gun. 'Please lower your muggle weapon, Mr Dursley, I assure you I intend no harm...unless provoked.' He extracted his wand and waved it too quickly for Vernon to act. The gun had vanished.

'I demand you to leave at once, sir!' Vernon scowled.

'I assure you that I have no pleasure in being here,' Severus drawled calmly. 'I merely wished to endure that Mr Potter receives his letter.'

'My letter?' Harry stepped forward at those words and even though the stranger was dressed entirely in black, he had made the gun vanish so he must be a wizard too.

'And you must be Mr Potter.' Severus looked down at the boy and frowned at the mop of hair and defiant expression, although he did not miss the emerald eyes staring up at him.

'Yes, sir,' Harry nodded in confirmation. 'Who are you?' He wondered and glanced at Tom, who had retreated against a wall to stare at the scene.

'I do not know him.' Tom admitted with a shrug. 'They sent Dumbledore to me. Perhaps he is a professor?'

'Are you a teacher? At Hogwarts, I mean.' Harry asked the man.

Severus wondered what the boy had been staring at over by a shadowed wall but was more shocked by the child's question. He had never been under the delusion that Petunia would tell the boy anything about the wizarding world and the boy had certainly not opened a single letter sent to him...and yet there Harry was asking if he taught at Hogwarts.

'Yes.' Severus nodded and handed a letter to Harry, who opened it eagerly and read it aloud.

'He will not be going, I tell you!' Vernon rushed in once he heard that Harry had been accepted. 'We swore when we took him in that we'd put a stop to all this rubbish!'

Harry tightened his jaw and glared at Vernon when he heard that. Out of the corner of his eye, he saw Tom moving closer until he was standing beside him. Neither boys were pleased to hear that the muggles had kept this from Harry and never told him.

'He can't make me stay, can he?' Harry asked his friend.

'I lived at an orphanage.' Was Tom's answer, indicating that he didn't know how it worked when someone actually had a guardian.

It was still sad news, but Harry felt a little better knowing that his friend was also an orphan and would understand what it's like not having parents while having to watch others that do.

'You cannot simply stop a wizard from having magic, Mr Dursley.' Severus said angrily. 'I assure you that regardless of your actions...that simple fact cannot be changed.'

'So, I can go to Hogwarts?' Harry grinned.

'Absolutely not.' Petunia snarled as she came closer and Dudley huddled further on the couch and away from the man.

'But I want to-' Harry went to argue but Vernon overrode his words.

'Silence, boy!' Vernon growled. 'You will not be going.'

SMASH!

A lamp that had been hanging nearby shattered and everyone apart from Tom was startled and turned to look at it.

'Tom!' Harry groaned and frowned at him.

'Those muggles are trying to stop you from going to Hogwarts!' Tom snapped back. 'Don't let them, Harry.' He said firmly. 'Tell them you are going.'

Harry pondered for a moment while Severus rolled his eyes at Vernon but paid closer attention to Harry; the boy seemed a bit surprised by the accidental magic and was glancing elsewhere again. He wished he'd let Hagrid do this task but Dumbledore had insisted that a few days ago there was a magical disturbance around Harry even though it didn't seem to be anything bad. He had insisted that Severus partake in delivering the letter in case there was something that needed to be fixed or assessed; something Hagrid was unable to do.

'I'm going.' Harry said to Vernon and Severus could tell by the muggles reactions that the boy was no normally so defiant. Surely that wouldn't be the case? He had expected to find a spoiled Potter brat but what Snape was seeing so far suggested otherwise.

'You dare-'

'Threaten him.' Tom encouraged with a small smirk.

'With what?' Harry asked quickly and looked around for something.

'Say you have to go, otherwise your magic will be out of control and you may kill them.' Tom said eagerly. 'Make him worried. Convince him.'

Harry bit his lip and inhaled. 'I have to go.' He said. 'I need to learn to control my magic. What will happen if I don't, Uncle Vernon? Perhaps I would become angry, and hurt or even kill those around me.' He felt powerful in saying those words and did his best to appear firm. His friend was right, Vernon seemed to be concerned with those words and Petunia was doing a second-take while Dudley whimpered. He glanced at the stranger but the man's face was blank. Perhaps he agreed?

Severus was horrified and entirely befuddled by not only Harry's words but how he knew these things. No one had told him, had they? Obviously the boy had found out somehow.

'I shall take him to buy his school supplies and than he will remain in your care until term begins.' Severus said after a moment of nerving silence. 'If he is not on the train when it departs, we will arrive to collect him.' He added, sensing Mr Dursley's thoughts of locking the boy up.

'He was dumped on our doorstep!' Vernon said instead. 'He is of age for your freaky school now, surely someone else can take the boy?'

'He requires the blood wards,' Severus glanced at Petunia with a hint of threat. 'You know this.'

'We will depart in the morning and he shall be returned in time for supper' He concluded and waved his wand to conjure a bed near the door for himself since it was rather late. He could have simply arrived in the morning but this was the way Dumbledore had requested him to do things. This way he can check Harry for unnatural magic while the boy slept unaware.

The Dursleys knew they had no choice and while Petunia was reluctant to leave her son downstairs with two wizards, there really was no other place for him to sleep that had room.

Severus watched as Harry lay on the floor and glared deeper when he realized that's where the boy sleeps.

'Up.' He instructed and Harry obeyed while Tom paced in a nearby corner, muttering softly to himself. Severus waved his wand and a sleeping bag appeared.

'Thank-you, sir.' Harry smiled and lay on the comfortable, green sleeping bag.

'He never told you his name.' Tom realized as he approached and sat on the “bed” with Harry, eying the stranger with the stare.

'Who are you?' Harry asked again.

'Severus Snape.' He answered from where he sat on his own bed. 'But that is “professor” or “sir” to you.'

Harry nodded and yawned. He hoped that this wasn't all a dream but once again had little time to ponder as he lay on his sleeping bag, feeling content. And withing moments, he had fallen asleep. Tom lay down as well but watched the stranger with caution until he could no longer keep his eyes open and faded away into vapor as he fell into a slumber.

Severus watched Harry and waited a little longer before he cast a few examination spells. He was displeased to notice several hidden injuries and evidence of poor healing, but apart from that, he could not detect anything on the surface in which had caused Dumbledore to become concerned. He dug deeper, trying to identify anything different, although he didn't have something to compare it with since this was the first time he had ever met the boy.

There were no traces of Dark Arts and no obvious sparks of magical interest other than that the boy appeared to have an unnaturally high level of magic. Snape is certain that he will have to keep a closer eye on this boy from now onwards.

To be continued...
End Notes:
Please review! I always love to receive feedback from my readers :)
-Mel
Snakes by watercrystals
Author's Notes:
Any speech in the [ ] marks is spoken in parseltongue, just to clear confusion.

'Wake up, Harry.' Tom's voice pulled him from his sleep the following morning. Yawning, Harry sat upright on the green sleeping bag and looked over to see that Severus was still there. The man's bed was gone and in its place was an armchair in which he was sitting in while going over several pieces of parchment.

'Good morning.' Harry said to his friend with a small smile.

'Morning.' Tom nodded but did not return the smile. He glanced at Severus and narrowed his eyes. 'I've been watching him. He woke two hours ago and has just been sitting there since.'

'What time is it?' Harry wondered and looked for Dudley's watch but his cousin was rolled over on the couch, facing away from him and towards the the back.

'Nearly seven.' Tom responded. 'The muggles are awake but are staying upstairs.'

Severus looked over and noticed that the boy was finally awake. He stood and with a simple wave of his wand, the armchair disappeared along with his parchment.

'We are leaving.' Severus announced. 'We shall have breakfast upon arrival in London.'

Harry nodded and glanced at Tom; after seeing the accepting look, he relaxed and stepped forward to follow Severus out of the shack. The rain had stopped but the air was still very cold. He looked around for a boat but didn't see one.

'Hold tightly onto my arm.' Severus lifted his wrist and Tom quickly faded away while Harry reached out to do so.

'He's going to apparate.' Tom explained. 'It's how wizards travel quickly by magic.'

And surely enough, they did. Harry felt a bit queasy and disorientated afterwards but rushed to catch up with Severus as they stepped out of an alley and headed towards a cafe.

'Sit.' Severus instructed as they approached a table with four chairs. 'I shall bring you a sandwich and than we must proceed.'

'Can I have two please, sir?' Harry asked quickly when Tom reappeared beside him.

Severus was about to make a comment about the boy being greedy but Harry was rather thin for his age so the man merely nodded. He returned with two plates of ham and tomato sandwiches as well as a larger one with more salad for himself.

'Thank you.' Harry smiled and moved one sandwich so it was in front of the seat beside him and started eating the other hungrily.

'If you eat, won't he notice?'

'Yes.' Tom nodded with a light frown and eyed the second sandwich hungrily. 'If I touch it, it will disappear.'

Harry wasn't sure what to do or if he could manage a diversion so he simply continued to eat and let Tom work it out. An opportunity came when Severus lifted a newspaper to read; Tom silkily moved his hand across the white surface of the table and snatched the two slices of sandwich. Harry grabbed the plate and placed it under his own dish while finishing the last of his sandwich.

Tom sank into the chair beside Harry and ate. Once his friend was done, Harry told Severus that he was full and thanked him again.

Severus did not conceal his surprise towards how quickly Harry had eaten both sandwiches, although he folded his copy of the Daily Prophet and proceeded with his schedule without giving the food much further thought.

--

Severus was once again confused by the boy's knowledge when they entered the Leaky Cauldron and after being quiet for a brief moment, Harry simply answered those that hurried to meet him; the boy did not seem too surprised by the fame bestowed upon him. Convinced that the brat was simply used to adoring attention, Severus continued onwards and led Harry through to Diagon Alley. Here the boy was surprised but still very silent; Severus was unaware that Tom was telling Harry about each store and the ones he recommended.

'We do not have all day.' Severus said and Harry was startled by the sound of his voice. 'I trust you brought along your letter and list of the supplies in which we require?'

'Yes, sir.' Harry nodded and pulled out his list from one of his pockets. Severus held out a hand for the pieces of paper and almost snatched it when it was passed to him; he was not a man of patience when surrounded by shoppers in an alley.

--

Afterwards they entered Gringotts and Tom appeared further interested while Severus went about requesting service and handing over Harry's key. He was not an easy person to surprise, and yet Severus found himself becoming more concerned and curious when the boy didn't ask many questions about the goblins, even if he had clearly been shocked to see them at first. He made mental note of everything for when he was to report back to Dumbledore.

He knew Hagrid had retrieved the stone the previous day, so thankfully the only vault to visit was Potter's.

When the doors to the vault opened, Harry's eyes became wide and Tom stepped closer to stare as well, although the latter when unnoticed by Severus and the goblin with them.

'It seems you have inherited your parent's fortunes.' Severus answered Harry's befuddled look.

Harry took a moment to recover and than started loading money into his bag. He noticed Tom grabbing a small handful of gold coins, which were shoved into pockets, but Harry said nothing since he didn't really mind.

And once Harry had his money, they proceeded to buy all the required things on his list until there was only one store left to visit.

'Finally.' Tom said as they stepped inside Ollivander's, leaving the noise and movement of the shoppers outside. Severus had wandered elsewhere to buy several more items, trusting that the boy could behave in one store on his own; even if Severus considered it to be the worst store in which one could leave a child unsupervised inside.

'Hello?' Harry asked when he couldn't see anyone else around; no other customers or a storekeeper.

'Harry, you require their services...you are in charge.' Tom sighed. 'Speak up!'

'Hello?' Harry asked in a louder, more demanding tone and Ollivander came into view.

'Ah.' The man nodded while barely giving Harry a second glance. 'I wondered when I'd be seeing you, Mr Potter.' He began searching through the shelves that were loaded with hundreds of boxes.

'It feels like only yesterday that your mother and father were in here buying their first wands.'

Tom rolled his eyes and moved to examine a few of the nearest boxes that rested upon the counter. He was still painfully aware that he did not have his own wand and the longing for one remained deep inside him. He picked up the first wand and nothing happened, not even a single spark. Annoyed, Tom went to grab another, which hissed at his touch and as a result, he decided to time it with Harry's to avoid suspicion.

And so Harry tried wand after wand and Tom did the same. Tom smirked when one lit up for him but Ollivander was at the back of the store getting another for Harry and didn't notice.

'Redwood, twelve inches with a phoenix tail feather core.' Tom said, remembering Ollivander's words previously; this particular wand was one that Harry had tried but it hadn't suited him.

'Perhaps, this.' Ollivander handed another wand over to Harry. Tom turned to look as well and saw that his that his “friend” had also finally found a wand of his own. Tom gripped his wand while Ollivander spoke of his older self and how the wands were brothers. He wasn't entirely sure what that meant but almost dropped his wand in surprise when Severus swept into the store while Harry paid for his wand.

--

Although they had everything on the supplies list, Severus allowed Harry to select an owl for his familiar and purchased it for him as a “birthday gift”. Harry was overjoyed.

'I need to get something.' Tom said quickly as he glanced towards the sign that read “Knockturn Alley”. 'Delay him.'

'I'll try. Hurry!' Harry said as his friend rushed away. 'I need to sit down for a minute, sir.' He lied and Severus paused in his long stride to turn and eye him with a blank but clearly not impressed expression.

'We will be arriving at Privet Drive shortly, Mr Potter,' Severus said. 'You may rest then.'

'No, I think something got stuck on my shoe.' Harry invented, panicked that he would lose his friend if Tom didn't get back in time. And while he agitated Severus with his constant reasons to stop for a moment, Tom rushed through the crowds and entered Knockturn Alley. He quickly spotted the store he was looking for and stepped inside. As Tom passed through the doorway, he enabled himself to become visible and lcasually ooked around at the spiders and other creatures.

Inhaling, he hissed at a snake resting on a branch nearby and felt relieved when it turned its head and looked at him, hissing back in mere acknowledgement.

'Need anything, dear?' A beastly woman at the counter asked, having appeared from inside a dusty storage room out the back.

'Yes.' He nodded. 'I would like to buy a snake.' Tom said and hoped that Harry could delay Severus long enough for him pick one and pay for it. Even though he could probably just disappear with the creature, he preferred not to risk that in case there were hexes in place to prevent thievery.

The woman assisted him and he quickly chose a black snake as long as his forearm and paid for it with galleons while snatching the information and care guide from her hands. He ignored her protests and turned to rush out of the store. He knew the way through the darkened alley well; he turned a corner and soon found himself coming to a halt beside Harry.

'Is that a...?' Harry stared at the snake around Tom's shoulders but quickly turned back to Severus. 'I'm ready, sir.' He said.

Severus watched Harry with clear suspicion for a moment, having noticed the unmistakable look of alarm in the boy seconds previous. But having no objection to leaving, Severus turned and led the way once again.

'Youngssster movesss too fassst' The snake said with obvious annoyance as she perched on Tom's shoulders, knowing that he was a speaker based on his hissing towards the other snake in the store.

'[I do apologize.]' Tom answered. '[I was in a grand hurry. This is Harry Potter. He speaks too]'.

'Two sssspeakersss?' The snake sounded pleased as she lifted her head to look at Harry while they walked along behind Severus.

'[Hello.]' Harry nodded at the snake but Severus halted suddenly and spun around; it seemed that the language of the snakes did go noticed because Harry wasn't talking to Tom but instead to the creature.

'Did you say something, Potter?' Severus asked with narrowed eyes, so sure of the certain hissing he had just heard.

'No.' Harry said innocently while Tom snarled and the snake hissed at the reaction. Harry tensed but continued to stare at Severus as though he was confused as to why the man would think that he'd said something.

Severus cast the area a nervous glance and than raised his wand as he pushed Harry ahead of him and into the interior of The Leaky Cauldron.

--

Within minutes, Harry was once again staring at the house of Number Four Privet Drive. Sighing with reluctance, he bit farewell to Severus Snape and dragged his trunk inside the place he wished he didn't have to live in.

His uncle spotted him first from the kitchen as Harry attempted to pass by unnoticed. The beefy man harbored no hesitation and instantly locked his trunk and belongings in the cupboard under the stairs while informing Harry that he was now residing in Dudley's second bedroom. Despite losing his magical belongings, Harry fought to keep the small smile off his lips as he turned to the stairs and climbed them.


It was an hour later and the two boys were sitting cross-legged on the floor across from each other. Tom looked rather bored while Harry nervously watched the snake slither around on the floor in a semi-circle.

'It won't bite Hedwig, will it?' Harry asked Tom anxiously.

Tom looked at the snowy owl with a thoughtful expression (who was in her cage, over on the desk near the window), and glanced back down at the snake in which they had named “Salazaria”, which was a more feminine version of “Salazar”.

'[I must insist that you do not inflict anything harmful upon Harry's owl Hedwig. She is his familiar.]' Tom hissed.

'Of courssse.' The snake replied while raising her head in the direction of the glaring owl. 'I ssshall not bite the pretty birdie'.

'[Thanks.]' Harry added with a relieved smile. 'Is she poisonous?' He added to Tom.

'Yes.' He smirked. 'But only upon command.' He pulled out his wand and ran a hand over it, glad to finally have one again which came with the advantage to once again enhance his abilities with ease.

'I wish I had mine.' Harry scowled as he watched his friend enviously. 'Stupid Uncle Vernon.'

'He's a muggle, Harry.' Tom said in exasperation. 'That is how they act.'

'Well I hate him.' Harry muttered. 'It's stupid! I don't even know how to do magic.'

'Than I shall teach you.' Tom said with a eager expression. 'Not all magic requires a wand.'

'I've noticed.' Harry shifted closer. 'Okay cool, what kind of magic?'

'Anything you want.' Tom's smirk widened. 'Anything at all.'

'Anything, huh?' Harry thought for a moment but his thought process was trampled by the door of his new bedroom opening. He turned quickly and frowned as his cousin stared at him with a sickening grin.

'I heard you muttering to yourself' Dudley chuckled. 'Gone mad too, have you freak?'

Tom jumped to his feet with those words. He read some of Harry's thoughts as he stared angrily at his cousin; Tom saw the bullying and mocking he had enacted towards Harry, added with envy towards Dudley having so much that he was deprived of. It was almost too perfect.

'Here's your first lesson.' Tom approached Harry, who was now standing as well and had clenched his fists while his cousins laughed.

'I ssssensse anger.' Salazaria said from under the bed. 'I ssshould bite the ungrateful muggle.'

'[No. Harry can handle this.]' Tom said eagerly and whispered into Harry's ear while Dudley delivered more insults about how his insanity probably came from his freaky parents.

'He hurt you.' Tom coached. 'Make him pay. Hurt him back.'

'I can't, he's much bigger than me and Aunt Petunia is right downstairs.' Harry argued although his anger increased with his friend's encouragement to take a stand and get his cousin back for all the horrible things he had caused him in ten years.

'You're a wizard and he's nothing but a muggle.' Tom continued. 'Think about it...imagine him hurt.' He said in a strong but soft voice. 'Look at the lard, laughing and mocking you! He should hurt for what he has done to you.'

Harry narrowed his eyes, thinking of all the times Dudley had punched him, chased him and caused him so much trouble as well as the humiliation. His anger swelled and he felt the magic at his fingertips, willing it to attack Dudley; it urged his anger into a form of suffering for the boy who took everything from him, such as food, toys and a chance at comfort etc.

Dudley laughed until his stomach felt strange and he finally realized the look Harry was aiming at him. He tried to move but his feet were stuck to the floor of the doorway and he tried to yell for his mother but no sound came out of his mouth other than a strangled whimper. His stomach felt alive and his ears throbbed while his chubby hands and feet started to burn and sting.

'Stop it!' He gasped out although it too great struggle. 'Stop it!'

'Did he stop when he was hitting you?' Tom asked Harry and the boy shook his head. 'Why should you show him mercy when he showed you none?'

Dudley fell to his knees as Harry continued to seethe with anger and the desire to repay his cousin for everything he had tortured him with.

'Dudders?' Petunia noticed the silence and strange air about the place. She came upstairs but stopped in terror to seeing Dudley on his knees, choking mutely and looking as though he was in intense pain.

'Dudley?!' She shrieked and rushed to his side while clutching her precious son. Her tone and movement broke Harry's focus and the pain Dudley had been experiencing instantly stopped.

'You!' She growled at Harry while cuddling her silent, gasping son. 'You freak! What have we told you about doing...that, in the house?'

'Tell her.' Tom whispered into Harry's ear again, having heard his thoughts.

'He got what he deserved.' Harry answered calmly but as his anger faded he felt a little unsure about what he had done. He remembered how horrible Dudley had been to him and the anger, but there was something inside him telling him that perhaps he had gone too far and maybe it wasn't really the right thing to do. The doubt clouded over and Harry hands trembled but still he remained firm.

Petunia was about to say something when she shrieked again and both boys turned to see what had frightened her. Salzardia had apparently left the underneath of the bed.

'Kill it!' Petunia yelled in alarm to no one in particular but the more rational side of her brain was washed out by the shock of seeing the undoubtedly poisonous creature emerge with deadly speed.

'Ssssuch noisssy humansss.' Salazaria complained and slithered up Harry's leg. She coiled around his shoulders, knowing that the muggles couldn't see Tom and if she was on him than they couldn't see her either. At this particular moment, she wanted to be seen and feared.

'She's my friend.' A plan formed in Harry's head just as he said those words to Petunia while Tom looked on smugly. 'Bother me and you might anger her.'

'What issss youngssster ssssaying?'

'[I'm warning her to leave me alone or else you might be mad. But I don't want you to really bite her, just scare her].' Harry hissed back and Petunia became deathly pale as she tried to pull Dudley away from further harm.

Salazaria rose like a cobra and hissed venomously at Petunia until she had clutched Dudley with surprising strength, which led to her dragging him downstairs at running speed.

And so for every day leading up until the night before Harry and Tom were about to head to Hogwarts...the Dursleys let them sit in the room entirely unbothered. They even cleared any room Harry came into, such as the kitchen when he was hungry or the living room when he was curious about what was on TV.

Harry could not be happier.

To be continued...
End Notes:
Note: The title "Snakes" refers to Salazaria (do you like the name, by the way?) but also the Slytherinness, however the other aspects I couldn't include because it would be too long, that's for next chapter. I was going to call it Snakes part 1 and 2 but thought of a fitting title for the next one so meh.

Please review and share your thoughts! Next chapter will be up in a few days.
The Secret Slytherin by watercrystals
Author's Notes:
Anything in the [ ] marks is spoke in parseltongue, just so there is no confusion.

Harry was quite content as he sat at the table and ate his toast, glancing over occasionally to watch as the Dursleys looked every bit wary of him. Petunia cleaned in the kitchen, keeping him in her sight, Vernon sat across from him with a purple tinge on his skin and his eyes were wider than usual. Dudley however, had fled the room the moment Harry had entered and was now residing in the living room with the TV.

Although the Dursley's couldn't see him, Tom was seated beside Harry with Salazaria resting on his shoulder; the Dursleys would never be able to take them to the station out of frozen fear of the venomous snake biting them.

Harry was smug as he continued to eat his meal in silence. When his plate was finally clear (Tom had eaten previously) he turned to his uncle, who had spent the entire time eying his nephew fearfully.

'I am finished, uncle Vernon.' Harry announced unnecessarily. 'Are you ready to take me to the station?' He glanced a little worriedly at the clock. 'I don't want to be late.'

'Nor do I.' Tom added although only Harry heard him.

--

 

They arrived at King's Cross with less than an hour until the Hogwarts Express was set to leave the station. Vernon hadn't uttered a word about Harry's strange ticket as he unloaded the trunk, nor did the beefy man waste a spare second bidding farewell; he had quickly returned to his car and sped away.

'Surely there's no such thing?' Harry asked Tom again as he place his trunk on a trolley and pushed it along the platforms while he examined the ticket to 9 and ¾ in his hand.

'Not to muggles.' Tom answered and pointed ahead. 'There it is!'

Harry stared at the solid barrier and exhaled with skepticism. He shrugged and decided that his friend would know better than he would when it came to this stuff because in a way, Tom had already done all of this before.

'Okay, here goes...' Harry winced and pushed his trolley forward. He felt the rush of atmosphere as he went through the wall instead of slamming into it as he had still half-expected to do. Harry stared around the revealed platform with a grin as he caught his first sight of the red train in front of him.

'Told you.' Tom said in amusement from beside him while Salazaria slept around his shoulders; the snake was apparently ignoring all the sounds around her, although she hissed in annoyance every once and again when someone almost shoved past them.

Harry loaded his trunk and Hedwig's cage onto the train before he turned and followed Tom on board as they searched for a suitable and preferably empty compartment.

'This is becoming difficult.' Tom frowned in irritation and pondered on becoming visible; that way no one would run into him whilst thinking he wasn't there.

'Found one!' Harry breathed and stepped into the empty compartment halfway along the train. Tom nodded in approval and joined Harry while he shut the door closed. He sat across from Harry and Salazaria slithered onto the seat to become more comfortable.

They sat in utter silence until the train departed the station and Harry felt excitement swell inside himself like a bubble of warm air that never left his lungs.

A redheaded boy glanced into their compartment through the glass window pane of their door and saw Harry by himself but nervously walked away the moment he'd spotted the snake. In an hour, the news had spread throughout the entire train about a boy sitting by himself with only a poisonous snake for company.

'Can't you let them see you? Just for a bit?' Harry complained when someone peaked through the glass as they walked past, again.

Tom thought to himself for several minutes before he reached a decision. He waited for a moment when no one was looking into their compartment before he appeared for all to see.

'There.' He huffed.

'You don't look any different.' Harry commented but believed his friend and turned to stare back outside the window, watching the scenery in the distance that they were passing. The door suddenly slid open and both boys turned towards the visitor. Salazaria hissed but otherwise didn't move; she was clearly displeased by the sudden noise and interruption.

'I heard you've got a snake in here?' The boy their age asked while eying the snake cautiously. He merely seemed to be interested that the rumors were true and was on his own, judging by the absence of any other student in the corridor behind him.

'As you can see.' Tom answered casually. He was somewhat pleased to be seen and heard by others whilst at the same time he felt a little bit vulnerable to be so out in the open now.

'Is it...tame?' The boy asked and continued to give the snake most of his visual attention.

'It does whatever we say.' Harry answered. 'But she isn't trained, if that's what you mean.' He shrugged. 'She won't hurt you unless we tell her too.'

'Oh.' The boy nodded and wasn't entirely sure what he thought of those words. 'Well, I'm Malfoy by the way. Draco Malfoy.'

'An upstanding pureblood?' Tom's eyes flickered with recognition; this was the son of two of Voldemort's Death Eaters.

'That's right.' Draco nodded proudly. 'Heard of me, have you?'

'Only by reputation.' Tom answered with an otherwise blank expression. 'Please, join us.' He gestured to the empty spot beside Harry.

'And who are you?' Draco asked them curiously as he sat beside Harry. He still watched the snake nervously and kept his distance but Salazaria had settled back down to nap and heed him no further interest.

'I'm Harry Potter.' He answered and observed Draco's surprised reaction. 'And this is my friend...' He let Tom finish his sentence because he wasn't sure which name to give.

'Just call me Thomas.' Tom answered; he was uncertain if the boy knew of Voldemort's name before he had left school but certainly wasn't about to risk it.

'Right.' Draco looked suspicions towards the lack of surname for a moment until he nodded anyway and accepted the answer. 'Well, I hear we'll be arriving soon. Any idea which house you'll be in?'

Harry said nothing; he wasn't sure what Draco was talking about while Tom looked perfectly calm; Harry he didn't want to be the only one who didn't understand.

'Slytherin for myself.' Tom answered.

'I agree.' Draco nodded and decided that he liked this boy now. 'And you?' He turned towards Harry, who merely shrugged and tried to look uninterested.

'Anything off the trolley, dears?' The woman asked as she stopped outside their compartment where the door had been left open by Draco. Harry was just relieved that no one had decided to come and poke their faces into their compartment, or perhaps the idea that the snake could now reach them had kept them away?

'Excuse me, but I must return to my compartment. I'm sure we will be seeing more of each other.' Draco stood and left without a wave.

'We'll take the lot!' Harry said to the lady once Draco had departed and pulled out a handful of galleons as he declared his request. Tom didn't say anything as Harry gathered the sweets, although he eyed the cauldron cakes hungrily as well as the chocolate frogs in which Harry really wanted to share.

Salazaria lifted her head the tiniest bit when she spotted a frog hopping rather close. Her tongue shot out with viper speed and swallowed it whole. The creature quickly gagged it back up with a befouled expression in which the boys found amusing.

'Thisss amphibian isss poisssionoussss.' She growled while Harry just laughed and Tom explained to her the spell on the chocolate. Afterwards she slithered onto the luggage rack above their heads and cast them each reproachful expressions as they ate their food.

--

The rest of the way consisted of silence unless Tom was giving Harry some advice or else explained the sorting process. Harry changed into his robes once it began getting dark and shortly enough, the train stopped at Hogsmeade station barely a moment later.

Tom spelled their rubbish gone while Salazaria caused him to wince as she slithered up his sleeve suddenly to conceal herself. Exhaling, he stood to follow Harry out of the compartment and off the train alongside everyone else. Tom remained visible until McGonagall started talking about house points earning them the house cup; he stepped to the back of the group when no one was watching before he faded away with Salazaria resting upon his shoulders once again.

Harry, like every other first-year, stared around the Great Hall in awe while making his way towards the front. He waited as Dumbledore spoke and Tom pointed out the headmaster to Harry with a look of contempt while he shook his head. Severus turned and watched Harry until Tom pointed him out and Harry turned towards him. He gave the man a small smile and than his attention was snapped back towards the front as Draco's name had just been called.

'SLYTHERIN!' The hat declared after spending only a few short seconds atop the blonde's head. Draco contently moved towards the cheering Slytherin table with a smug grin on his face.

The sorting ceremony progressed and Tom started to get anxious. Salazaria became annoyed with his constant fidgeting and picked up on his nervous mood. She moved to slither onto Harry's shoulder and Tom quickly snatched her back before she could be seen. But it was too late...someone had seen.

Severus had glanced at Harry again for a moment and those few seconds was all he had he needed. He stared as a black snake's head came into view from apparently nothing but thin air as it attempted to slide onto Harry's barely-startled shoulder. And then he saw the hand. It was transparent as it gripped the snake around the neck and pulled it away from Harry; fading both the hand and snake entirely in the process. Overall it had happened in the space of thirty seconds and yet Severus knew he hadn't been seeing things. And he was so focused upon this strange incident that he almost missed Harry's name being called.

'Harry Potter!' McGonagall said and as expected, the entire hall fell silent as Harry made his way to the stool where the sorting hat was going to decide his fate. Tom watched eagerly and moved to sit on the very corner of the Ravenclaw table. He hissed at Salazaria to remain still and even though she was in a foul mood at him for grabbing her, she obeyed. Tom focused on Harry's mind and tried to penetrate it to hear what the hat was saying but had no luck. He just had to wait like the rest of them and Tom hated that; he considered himself nothing alike the rest surrounding him.

'Harry Potter.' The hat said with interest as he was placed on Harry's head. 'Plenty of courage I see and not a bad mind either. There is certainly talent...and the thirst to prove yourself. Interesting'. The hat mused for a moment while Harry remained silent and nervous.

'Yes, your path forward is clear and they will help you on the way to greatness, there's no doubt about that...' The hat parted its mouth and declared its verdict to the entire room.

'SLYTHERIN!'

The hall remained silent until the Slytherins recovered first and started cheering. Tom lifted his head when he heard the declaration and a small smile crept across his lips; a genuine smile that was so unfamiliar on such a face. He yelped (and of course no one other than Salazaria heard him) as his own clothes - from the orphanage and that Harry had given him - turned into black robes with the Slytherin markings, crest and tie. Tom gasped at his uniform for a moment before he jumped off the seat to join Harry over at the Slytherin table; Draco had moved over to make room for the boy-who-lived.

Tom, Draco and Harry were not the only ones surprised and yet pleased by the hat's choice. Severus watched the scene intently and forced himself to appear casual while inside he was immensely relieved. No Potter clone would have been sorted into any house other than Gryffindor, of that he was certain. But also, this way Severus could keep an eye out for Harry without arousing suspicion.


The feast began and no one noticed as Tom snatched food from the table while they ate and obliviously continued to talk amongst themselves. Draco introduced Vincent Crabbe and Gregory Goyle and while Tom paid close attention, Harry's mind shifted through the events of the day and how wonderful his life was finally turning out to be. He glanced over at the staff table and spotted Severus watching him again. Harry raised his hand with a small wave and was immensely surprised when the man lifted a few fingers in an almost-returned gesture.

--

 

With the food consumed and Dumbledore's speech heard, two prefects stood and led the first-year Slytherins into the dungeons to show them around. During this time, Severus retreated to speak with Dumbledore about what he had witnessed just before Harry's sorting. He kept it brief though, as he was expected in the common room himself to give a little speech; Severus was the only head of house that did this, to his knowledge. And with good reason.

Harry chose the bed nearest the door beside Draco and instantly sank beneath the warm, comfortable covers. He glanced at Tom, who looked around at the other boys with curiosity while brushing a hand over Salazaria softly, apparently unaware of the action.

'You'll have to share my bed. But there is plenty of room!' Harry said and Tom turned to look at him with repulsion. Harry didn't take it personally and only saw the other boy's dislike of sharing anything.

'Where did your friend Thomas end up?' Draco's voice cut off Tom's chance to reply. 'And what happened to that snake? Was it his?'

'No.' Harry raised his arms and watched with amusement as Draco stared at him in shock; Salazaria had just slid out of nowhere to rest on Harry's shoulders as she had wanted to since entering the Great Hall.

'Wicked.' Draco smirked. Harry felt proud because he had shown his new friend that he was impressive and not some boring freak.

'And Thomas didn't get sorted.' Harry added after an approving nod from Tom. 'It's a long story.'

'Oi!' A prefect boy appeared in the doorway. 'Professor Snape wants a word so get down here.'

The first-years stopped what they were doing and reluctantly made their way out of the dormitory. Tom remained behind to search through everyones belongings for anything of interest because he didn't really care for what Severus had to say and this was an opportunity not to be missed. And while performing his task, he had forgotten that Salazaria was still with Harry.

Severus explained the Slytherin rules which were a bit different from the others, such as their self-preservation and ability to stand together as an unstoppable force etc. He explained that if they ever needed to talk, his office was always open although not before curfew, unless it was an emergency. He pretended not to notice the snake on Harry's shoulder, but it was difficult when the others began to gasp and point it out. Salazaria became tense and felt Harry's worry from the moment he realized that the others could see her.

'Husssh ssspeaker. I sssshall not harm them unlesssss you sssay sssso. And they will not approach you with me here and hisssssing at them'. And truly enough, no one dared to move towards him when Salazaria hissed in their direction.

Severus dismissed them at the precise moment that Tom had invisibly re-entered the common room with his hands deep inside his pockets. He stood near Harry and his face formed into a frown when he spotted Salazaria.

'Mr Potter.' Severus said firmly and both boys tensed. 'Might I inquire about the snake?' He raised a daring eyebrow. 'I assume your muggle relatives did not purchase it for you and I do believe that they are not favorable pets amongst muggles.'

'What do I say?' Harry asked Tom worriedly.

'You found her and she took a liking to you.' Tom invented flawlessly while Harry repeated his words to Severus. 'She is trained and will not harm anyone.'

'Is that so?' Severus questioned Harry with narrowed eyes. 'May I test that theory?' He held out his arm towards the snake. He was cautious but had also come prepared because there was a vial of anti-venom inside the closest pocket of his robes.

'Sssspeaker?' Salazaria asked Harry uncertainly while she also understood the professor's gesture.

'Don't speak to her!' Tom said quickly to Harry before he could answer her. 'He'll know. Allow me' He turned to her. '[He is testing your safely. Please act trained and do not harm him or else he may try to send you away.]'

Salazaria nodded her head before she leaned forward to slither onto Severus' arm and moved to lay on his shoulder obediently.

'Thisss human hassss a sssstrange ssssmell about him.' Salazaria said as her tongue flickered at his neck, causing Severus to remain still for a moment. Seconds passed and Severus seemed convinced enough as he extended his arm to return the snake to Harry. He was still somewhat suspicious but saw no other evidence of contradiction.

'[Strange? How?]' Tom demanded to know.

'Familiar.' Salazaria hissed. 'Ssssmells familiar to sssspeaker.' She glanced at Harry. 'But not the ssssame.'

'Off to bed now.' Severus said. 'And I warn you boy, I will be keeping a very close eye on your...pet.'

'Yes, sir.' Harry nodded in relief. 'Thank you, sir. Good night.' He turned and headed back to the dormitory where the others were already settled for sleep.

'You're too polite.' Tom commented as he sat on the edge of Harry's bed and Salazaria slithered into the canopy to rest. 'However, it will work to our advantage. Keep it up.'

Harry glanced at his friend and sighed. 'Tom, not everything has to be that way. Sometimes it's okay to just...I dunno, have fun' He shrugged. 'Snape seems nice enough and I think we can trust him.'

'I trust no one.' Tom frowned with a huff and climbed into bed beside Harry. He was nervous that someone would notice his invisible form that raised the section of the blankets; they may not be able to see him but they can see the sheets covering him. With a disgruntled sigh, Tom forced himself to move closer to Harry to void further suspicion.

'Not even me?' Harry looked a bit saddened by the statement of distrust as he watched his friend.

Tom stared at him for the longest moment before he exhaled and appeared somewhat ashamed of his next admittance.

'I trust you. As much as I can, I suppose.' Tom nodded. 'I mean, I've never really trusted someone before...'

'Well, we're friends now. And friends stick by each other, right?' Harry smiled. 'I won't betray you. You can trust me, Tom.'

Tom narrowed his eyes at that “friend” word again but said nothing else on that subject as he rolled over to face away from him.

'Night, Harry.'

'Good night, Tom.'

And the dormitory fell truly silent as the six eleven-year-old Slytherins slept. Each pondered on what the next day would bring, while their head of house fell into a restless slumber of worry and confusion.

To be continued...
End Notes:
Not sure how I feel about this chapter so reviews would really help me out here. Please let me know what you thought of it, or sections etc.
-Mel :)
Severus and Suspicion by watercrystals
Author's Notes:
Sorry for the delay, am back on track now
'Wake up, Potter!' Draco's voice cutting through Harry's slumber made a strange change since he had expected Tom to be the one waking him as usual.

Harry rolled over and sat upright. He moved his hands over the dresser beside his bed to find his glasses. He grasped at them and slid them over his face as he looked around the room, feeling momentarily disoriented.

'Morning.' Harry yawned to Draco and looked around for Tom but the other boy wasn't there.

'Yeah, yeah. Come on!' Draco rolled his eyes as he pulled on his robes and checked his appearance over in the mirror. 'We're going to miss breakfast if we don't hurry up.'

'Right' Harry sighed and climbed out of bed to change into his school uniform. 'I'll meet you there.' He added to Draco when he noticed that the blonde was waiting for him to get ready, although he appeared as though he would much rather go ahead without him.

'Okay.' Draco nodded in relief and turned to leave the dormitory, which was now entirely empty.

'Tom?' Harry called out to his friend with the use of his mind link. 'Where are you?'

'Here.' Tom walked through the door and leaned against the frame. He looked Harry over with a critical gaze and frowned.

'What?' Harry asked. He could talk properly when there was no one else around and the magic of their bond had the capability to detect eavesdroppers. It was impossible to be overheard unless Tom was visible to everyone else.

Tom said nothing as he simply pulled out his wand from his robes and said a few incantations while he continued to eye Harry carefully.

'You're a Slytherin now, Harry.' Tom said. 'And you're the boy-who-lived. There is a great level of expectation placed on you. However, even though no one could live up to such expectations so easily, I can help you fool them.'

'Does it really matter?' Harry squirmed as his collar enclosed a little tighter around his neck and his clothes smoothed out all their creases.'Why can't I just be who I am?'

'This is who you are. You were raised by muggles, remember?' Tom scowled. 'I'm only helping you where they did not. I assure you, had you been raised by the magical community, you would be like this.'

'Fine.' Harry huffed. 'But hurry up, I'm hungry.'

Tom nodded and watched as Harry's hair straighted a little more and moved out of his eyes. He wanted to do something about the glasses, but it would be too suspicious and people would ask questions; if only he'd done this before they'd even boarded the train.

'Alright, you're appropriate.' Tom stepped back with a nod and feel at all as hungry as Harry was since he had already snuck into the Great Hall previously to eat.

'Remember to walk with your head held high; confidence and pride always cautions others that you're not to be messed with.' Tom added.

'Yeah, yeah.' Harry said just as Draco had several minutes ago. 'Let's go!' He turned and rushed from the dormitory, into the common room and than stepped out to look around the dark corridors of the dungeons.

'Which way?' He frowned as he looked left and right.

'Oh, honestly.' Tom rolled his eyes and led the way towards the Great Hall where most of the students were still gathered and eating.

'There you are!' Draco exhaled when he spotted Harry and gestured him towards the seat he'd saved for him. The blonde gave his appearance a once-over and appeared to be impressed before he continued with his meal.

Harry sat down and edged along the seat a little so that Tom could join him without looking too suspicious.

'Where's Salazaria?' Harry noticed the absence of their snake.

'Resting.' Tom answered without any further details and gazed over at the staff table curiously. As he observed each of the staff members, he wasn't too pleased when he spotted an observer.

'Dumbledore is watching us.' He scowled and Harry turned to see that the headmaster was indeed staring at him. However, when the headmaster had caught Harry's look he merely raised his goblet to the boy with greeting.

'Watch out for him. He's manipulative and believes only in the greater good.' Tom warned softly. 'That and he always seems to know too much.'

Harry nodded and turned back to briefly listen to what Draco was saying about his father and the Ministry of Magic. It wasn't until the topic became about Quidditch that Harry's ears perked into attention and he remembered Tom explaining shortly that it was the sport played on broomsticks.

'Well, I despise that first-years can't play Quidditch here.' Draco was saying. 'But I suppose all those not of pure blood wouldn't even know which end is which!' He laughed and many others joined in. 'Still, we miss out because of their pathetic lack of knowledge.'

'But don't we have lessons?' Harry asked, not sure why he felt brave enough to speak up; even Tom looked a little surprised. 'I mean, isn't that what they're for?'

Draco rolled his eyes as he turned towards Harry and faced him. 'Yeah, but it's going to take more than a silly little lesson to teach them, isn't it? You were raised by muggles, right? I don't suppose you're any better on a broom than they are.'

'He's trying to rise above you.' Tom noticed. 'He wants to show that he is far superior. Lie Harry, tell him you're good on a broom. Convince him.'

'But I've never been on a broom! What if I'm really rubbish?' Harry panicked quickly.

'Your father James Potter had talent! He was on the Gryffindor Quidditch team.' Tom snarled. 'Convince him!'

Harry hated that Tom always told him what to do but figured the other boy knew more about these sort of things than he did and his advice always helped in the end.

'I'm actually rather good on a broom.' Harry said,. He was surprised how easily the words slipped out and sounded true. 'Just like my father. He played at Hogwarts too.'

Draco had nothing to complain with that and nodded with satisfaction. 'Well, then you certainly ought to try out next year. As I was saying, it's stupid that we can't already if we know how to fly...' He turned back to the others and Harry felt confident that he had been shown a level of respect he'd never had before.

'Thanks.' He said to Tom and resumed eating.

Tom said nothing and only glanced over as Severus made his way along the Slytherin table, handing out class schedules.

'Draco Malfoy and Harry Potter.' He stopped before them and sorted through the pile of parchments.

'Good morning, sir.' Draco greeted politely while Harry merely stared at the professor. He wondered why Salazaria thought they smelt similar but also why the man appeared a lot darker or meaner than he had when he'd come to collect him from his muggle home. He didn't look the slightest less grouchy nor firm and yet there was just something different about him than before. Perhaps his hair was a little greasier or he was more in the role of a teacher now?

'Thank you, sir.' Draco nodded and checked over his timetable.

'Thanks.' Harry added as well and glanced away from the dark man to look at what classes he had that morning.

'Transfiguration and Potions.' Tom stated as he observed over Harry's shoulder. 'Not too bad, I suppose.'

And without further delay, the students rose to their feet and went to gather their things for their lessons. Harry remained a bit behind the group with Tom as they followed the crowd into the common room and than soon back outside into the corridors where everyone parted for the different directions.

'Wish we had potions first.' One girl ahead of Harry commented. 'It's only around the corner from our common room.'

'Is that true?' Harry asked Tom curiously as he readjusted the strap of his book bag and followed behind Draco towards their Transfiguration lesson.

'Yes.' Tom nodded but was a bit distracted with side-stepping everyone that nearly ran into him; it was becoming rather exhausting. He huffed in annoyance and than faded away as an alternative to showing himself to those around them.

-- 

Harry and Draco chose seats together near the middle of the classroom and removed quills, ink bottles etc from their bags. They were all shocked when McGonagall transfigured before them from the cat that had been sitting on her desk. Tom quickly reappeared beside Harry with interest. Harry frowned and moved over to give Tom more room to sit down and Draco seemed displeased to the lack of space on their seat although he didn't know the cause. Either way, the blonde said nothing and merely followed the lesson plans just as everyone else did. Harry had the unintended advantage of Tom whispering hints into his ear and making sure he got everything right since the other boy already knew everything being taught, having obtained his magical knowledge of his own time at school.

After the lesson, the first years made their way back into the dungeons for potions. Tom noticed that Harry appeared to be really looking forward to this lesson and had started taking notes while Severus was talking.

'Stop. He thinks you're not paying attention.' Tom said quickly as he kept his eyes on Severus rather than Harry's notes.

Severus opened his mouth to commented about “some not paying attention” when Harry quickly put his quill back into the ink bottled and looked over at him. The boy gave him his undivided attention, as though he knew what Severus was about to say. Narrowing his eyes, Severus quizzed the boy instead. Tom provided Harry with the answers and Severus wasn't sure how to react to the unexpected situation so quickly proceeded with the lesson.

Severus sat at his desk with the knowledge that he didn't have to keep a closer eye on the cauldrons for another ten minutes or so and watched Harry. The boy was about to put something into his cauldron but paused as though listening and then he chopped the ingredient a little more before he finally dumped it into the cauldron. Severus glanced around for any signs but all he noticed was Harry's book moving a few inches away from him even though Harry's hands were full with his knife and shredded bloomslang skin.

'No, that one.' Tom pointed to the section of Harry's book and resisted the urge to stir his cauldron while Harry did the chopping and shredding.

'Thanks, again.' Harry sighed. 'You're only helping me because I'm awful at this, aren't you?'

'It's just your first lesson and you were raised by muggles.' Tom allowed. 'You're good at cooking though so you should get the hang of it. Have confidence in your own skills, Harry...you can do this. I'm helping because really high marks on your first day always put you in good graces with the professors.'

'Good point.' Harry sighed and straightened his back slightly as he focused on believing in himself. He forced away his doubts and tried to brainwash himself into thinking he was indeed skilled with this subject.

Tom glanced at Harry as he picked up on his thought range and smirked in amusement. He said nothing though, since it was working and after only a few minutes of concentration he barely had to give Harry any more hints for the rest of the lesson.

'You're right.' Harry said after he had finished copying down their homework task and gathered his things as they prepared to leave the classroom. 'It's not so hard so long as I don't doubt myself.'

'Yeah, I know.' Tom shrugged. 'Don't get too over-confident either. though. I mean we're more superior than everyone else in class and probably even higher grades, but we still have let them be fooled into thinking they can underestimate us.'

'You're all about plans and strategies, aren't you?' Harry sighed.

'It's survival, Harry.' Tom frowned. 'You don't become the best by just being another one of them.'

Harry nodded as he shoved the last of his parchment into his bag and turned to exit the classroom. Severus continued to watch the boy and was certain that whatever he had seen before the sorting was still taking place, that perhaps something was there in which only Harry could see and understand. He didn't know what, which was exactly why he left the Potions classroom at first opportunity to go and speak with Dumbledore.

--

'A hand, you say?' Dumbledore asked as he leaned forward and rested his elbows on his desk as he surveyed Severus through his glasses. 'And there was a snake, the same snake you later encountered?'

Severus nodded and knew that Dumbledore had heard him correctly and needed little confirmation. He remained silent for a moment while the headmaster thought about the situation, both their minds were filled with passing theories and lingering concerns.

'The situation is most strange.' Dumbledore agreed with a darker expression and recalled the last time an eleven-year-old orphan had seemed so casual with the presence of snakes. And given the future that boy claimed, it was indeed most unsettling that someone connected to that evil man could have similar interests.

'This needs to be investigated.' Dumbledore nodded towards Severus and wrote down their upcoming arrangements involving the boy.

'We shall speak with him here in three days.' Dumbledore stated.

'You wish to wait three days, Albus?' Severus asked. 'Are you certain? Shouldn't this matter of great concern be dealt with immediately.'

'And yet we cannot afford to be rash, Severus.' Dumbledore informed him. 'I wish to conduct little research of my own before our little meeting with the boy. That is all for now, thank you.'

Not too pleased with being so suddenly dismissed and not informed on Dumbledore's sure theories, Severus rose from his chair and stormed from the office. He made his way down to the dungeons and reluctantly allowed himself to admit that Dumbledore was right, they still had little to go on and three days was indeed a necessary waited period.

Than again...a lot can happen in three days and Severus reached the agreement that he did not like either of their options set out before them.

To be continued...
End Notes:
Please review!
Also, not too thrilled with this chapter's name, anyone got any better ideas for it? I had to update so I put in anything for now, I would very much like to replace it so all ideas are welcome.
A Matter of Difference by watercrystals
Author's Notes:
Remember, anything in the [ ] marks is spoken in Parseltongue.
The following day was a slow one as the first years didn't have any classes until after lunch. Breakfast finished only seconds earlier and Harry had neglected to play gobstones in the common room with Draco. Instead he remained behind in the Great Hall where he sat miserably and mused to himself.

'What's with you?' Tom asked as he appeared beside Harry without Salazaria. The snake had fled the castle to explore the grounds for her own breakfast rather than to remain in the company of her humans and their “disgusting” food.

'Nothing.' Harry mumbled.

'Sure.' Tom rolled his eyes as he sat across from Harry. He waited for an answer before he bothered to try and read the other boy's mind.

'I'm just...well, it's not fair.' Harry grunted as he continued to rest his chin on the surface of the Slytherin table.

'I...' He glanced at Tom. 'I mean, we don't have the family that others do.' He frowned with a huff of irritation. 'Why did we have to be orphans?'

'The other me was the one who made you an orphan. I don't think I'm the best person to ask.' Tom shrugged and Harry cast him a glare of annoyance.

'Thanks. That makes me feel so much better.' Harry grumbled.

'I wasn't trying to.' Tom rolled his eyes and thought for a moment. 'Actually, we do have something that the others don't.'

'Oh yeah, what's that?' Harry glanced at him curiously.

Tom smirked and stood to his feet. 'Come on...I'll show you.' He turned and headed out of the Great Hall. Harry sighed but decided to follow after his friend.

--

'Where are we going?' Harry inquired for a second time as they had been walking for over ten minutes.

'You'll see.' Tom replied and turned a corner.

'Uh...' Harry frowned and glanced around. 'Why are we in a girl's bathroom?' He failed to see how this had anything to do with what they had that others didn't, if anything.

'Watch.' Tom stepped towards one of the sinks and smirked at it. '[Open up.]' He said in parseltongue. The sinks began to move and the front one lowered to reveal a large, dark tunnel.

'Whoa.' Harry stepped back a little. 'Where does that go?' He shivered and wasn't sure if he wanted to know.

'To a place only we can access.' Tom revealed. 'It's called: The Chamber of Secrets. Now come on, there's someone I want you to meet.'

'Uh, you sure?' Harry eyed the blackened and seemingly endless tunnel.

'Suit yourself.' Tom shrugged and jumped down. Seeing no choice, Harry slid down after him and yelled the entire way through the tunnel until they stumbled into a pit of bird bones.

'Urgh, yuck!' Harry recoiled while Tom crinkled his nose and dusted off his robes.

'Come on.' Tom encouraged. 'He's probably asleep.'

'Who?' Harry glanced around nervously and couldn't imagine anyone living down there. 'What's down here, Tom?'

'Have you ever heard of a basilisk?' Tom asked but didn't wait for a reply. 'It's a giant snake with killer eyes, literally. If you look at it in the eyes than you'll die.'

'And we're here...why?' Harry gulped.

'Because he'll obey me.' Tom said. 'It only follows the orders of the heir of Slytherin, which is to say someone from Salazar's bloodline who can speak parseltongue. You can speak it because my older self transferred some of his powers to you, so I'm sure I can convince the basilisk to obey you as well.'

They entered the main chamber and Harry stared around at it all with amazement because it was so grand and was clearly a very Slytherin domain.

'Stare at the ground while I call him.' Tom instructed. 'He will obey me so neither of us will be harmed unless we look at him.'

'Okay.' Harry croaked and stared nervously at his feet while Tom did the same.

'[Come to me, my great snake.]' Tom said loudly.

There was silence for a moment and than a rumble of movement until a massive burst of water sprayed the boys to an unpleasant degree.

An even larger shadow cast down upon them and Harry was starting to lose feeling in his legs although he somehow managed to remain upright.

'[Close your eyes until I tell you to open them.]' Tom instructed while the giant snake hissed with annoyance. '[That is an order!]'

'Yessss.' The Snake said deeply and Harry shivered at the sound. Slowly he glanced up and his eyes widened at the size of the basilisk that towered over them. He stepped backwards anxiously before he regained his composure and was able to admire the beast.

'How long has he been down here?' Harry wondered.

'About a thousand years, I think.' Tom shrugged.

'What's his name?' Harry stepped closer to the Snake and eyed it carefully in case it reacted but Tom instructed it to remain still and it obeyed. Cautiously, Harry reached out a hand and touched the rough, scaly skin of the enormous snake.

'He's so cold.' Harry shivered although he had relaxed and quite liked the snake now.

'He doesn't have a name that I know of.' Tom answered.

'We could call him Basil.' Harry suggested and glanced up at the snake. '[Can we name you Basil?]'

'Yess.' The snake answered in its deep hissing voice that sounded more like a spray of thunder than anything else.

'Massster did not name me.'

'Basil it is.' Harry grinned while Tom rolled his eyes but didn't object.

'You're way too soft, Harry.' Tom said as they stared up at Basil who continued to hover like a cobra with his eyes closed. 'I bring you to meet a basilisk and you name him.'

Harry glanced at Tom and couldn't understand what was wrong with that so he just shrugged it off and returned to feeling the snake's large scales.

Tom was right about one thing though...this was certainly something that no one else at Hogwarts had.


After spending an hour in the chamber, Tom showed Harry a shortcut out of there that led them back near the dungeons.

After stepping out from behind the portrait, they headed to their dormitory to shower and change as they prepared to go to lunch.

'There you are!' Draco spotted Harry as he sat beside him. 'About time you got here, Potter. Where were you?'

'If I told you than he'd have to kill you.' Harry said without thinking as he pondered on Basil's existence.

'Who?' Draco asked rather seriously.

'Exactly.' Harry smirked at his friend and reached for an apple. 'Are you looking forward to flying lessons this afternoon?'

'I suppose.' Draco shrugged and let the previous comment drop. 'Although, it's not as though I need the lessons, to be honest.'

'I know, but since we can't have our own broom than at least we do get the chance to ride them at some point, right?' Harry munched on his fruit and glanced around the Great Hall with fleeting interest.

He felt a lot better after meeting Basil because while he and Tom were still orphans, that doesn't meant that they entirely had less than anyone else. He was also beginning to understand that some things could be changed simply by interpreting them differently.

The boys fell into a casual silence as they ate and than left the Great Hall alongside the other first years as they made their way outside where broomsticks were lined up on the ground. Madam Hooch was already there waiting for them.

Tom eyed the other students somewhat enviously as they went about learning how to ride their brooms. He found amusement in Neville's bad luck and joined the other Slytherins at laughing at him. Harry distracted Draco so that the boy wouldn't make things worst because the Gryffindors appeared to be quite angry with them.

Draco glanced around their group of students and realized something. He turned towards Harry with an accusing and almost distrustful glance.

'Where's Thomas?' He questioned. 'I know he's a first year here so if he's not in Slytherin than where was he sorted? He's not here at all! Did something happen?'

'I want to tell him.' Harry confessed to Tom who was busy glaring at Draco for having noticed his absence.

'No!' Tom snapped. 'No one is to know.'

Harry scowled at Tom as he forced himself to shrug at Draco and did the best he could to avoid lying to his friend.

'I can't really say.' He admitted and Draco didn't appear convinced but dropped the subject anyway.

'Why can't you trust him?' Harry asked Tom. 'He won't tell.'

'You don't know that.' Tom shook his head. 'Besides, I never trust anyone.'

'Draco is my friend, just as you are.' Harry reminded him. 'I trust him. That's what friendships are all about, trusting people.'

Tom said nothing else other than to constantly refuse Harry's desire to tell Draco. He became rather moody from then onwards as he frequently ignored Harry and gave him advice only to scowl at him half a second later.

--

Even by dinner it hadn't worn off and Harry was beginning to wonder if Tom's moodiness was actually a part of him but he had previously nulled it down a bit; the unpredictable transition from anger to casualness was so smooth and unknowingly fast that it had to have happened before to get to that point.

A part of Harry also began to become worried that it was a trait Voldemort has retained.

--

Later that night Harry sat awake on his bed and glanced towards where Tom was sitting on the floor and watching Salazaria eat a mouse she had found and brought to their room to consume it.

'That's gross.' Harry frowned as he leaned over the side of the bed to watch for a moment and wondered what Basil ate because surely a mouse of such a size would not satisfy his hunger.

Than he remembered the bird bones at the end of the tunnel and realized the giant snake must leave the chamber to eat.

He turned to Tom and wasn't sure what to think as his friend appeared to be greatly amused by the meal taking place in front of him.

'Tom?' Harry asked. 'I want to find a way for Basil not to kill by sight.' He revealed his thoughts to his friend, although he had an odd feeling that Tom could tell what he was thinking most of the time anyway.

'What?' Tom snarled and instantly jerked his attention towards Harry. 'Why?!' He was clearly outraged by the mere suggestion.

'Tom!' Harry scowled back. 'He KILLS by looking at something! What if one day he accidentally looks at us? What if one of my friends walk by when he'd feeding and is seen? Anyone could be killed without warning, without even realizing what it was that had killed them. I don't like it, and it's scary to even consider going to see him when such a thing could happen by accident.' He explained. 'Please?'

Tom frowned as he considered the “death by sight” to be a very crucial weapon that Basil had and was slightly regretting showing Harry the snake now.

Although, as irritating as it was, there was a strong fact in the matter; they too were potential targets and while he was always careful, he was a bit concerned that Harry would not be; without Harry, Tom may cease to exist as well.

Besides, it was still a giant snake with deadly venom, therefore it wouldn't be entirely useless without it's primary ability.

'Fine.' Tom grumbled as he gave in to the request. 'There is a potion we can make Basil drink that will render his sight non-fatal.'

'Thanks!' Harry grinned with obvious relief. 'How long will it take?' He still didn't like the idea of such a creature slithering around the school.


'We can begin tomorrow. Or rather, I shall brew it while you're in class. Everything I require should be in Snape's private storage.' Tom nodded.

--

And the following morning, he did exactly that. While the students were in their Potions class, Tom snuck out and easily searched through the storage cupboard (he made quick work of a few spells in place since he retained most of his older self's knowledge as well as having his ability to simply vanish when need be. He had done the same in the library an hour previous.

The potion was designed to create blindness and than heal it; it was an effective method of destroying any magical properties about a persons sight. It was perfect and infallible if brewed correctly.

It was a very complicated potion and the boy started work on it right after lunch inside Moaning Myrtle's bathroom where they were sure to go undiscovered. Ironically, it was also right by the entrance to the Chamber of Secrets where Basil remained slumbering down below.

'It needs to sit for three hours.' Tom sighed as he placed it in one of the sinks and endured that it was concealed and protected.

'Alright, come on.' Harry nodded. 'I know a way we can pass the time.'

Tom raises a suspicious eyebrow at the other boy but decides to follow him anyway as his curiosity was too much to ignore.

--

They walked through the castle and out onto the grounds. Harry wouldn't answer Tom's questions until they arrived at the Quidditch Pitch were Draco was obviously waiting for them.

'Well?' Draco glanced around as though he was looking for something – or someone – and Tom got a shiver of dread.

'You said you'd explain where Thomas is?'

'Promise you won't tell?' Harry checked seriously. 'If anyone finds out, we'll all be in for it.'

'Yeah, you have my word.' Draco nodded. 'Now where is he?'

'Come on, Tom. Please?' Harry turned to his angry friend who stood beside him. 'Draco's my friend and I really want to share this with him.'

Tom glared at Harry but did not want either of their reputations ruined by Draco thinking Harry was crazy. Sighing with frustration, he went along with it and revealed himself.

Draco stared with shock once he realized that the other boy hadn't been wearing an invisibility cloak or anything...he'd quite simply, appeared.

While Harry launched into explanations, Tom just stood there and stared at Draco to analyze every reaction, tone and expression.

'Tom Riddle?' Draco whispered. 'As in...You Know Who?' He gulped.

'Exactly.' Tom replied. 'Hence my desire for secrecy. Should my older self discover my existence...the consequences are not to be admired.'

'Yeah, I bet.' Draco muttered as he swallowed and thought for a long moment. He understood the huge risk Harry was taking by trusting him so he decided he should be thankful for that and considered it to be a privilege.

As planned, Harry and Draco stole a few school brooms to ride around on (which is why the meeting was at the pitch, obviously).

They convinced Tom to join them and the trio flew around, playing Quidditch-based games like throwing balls through the goalposts or trying to beat each other to one of the flying ones. Draco had a set of balls for playing with that were a little like the real ones used in the sport and was now pleased to share them.

During that time, Tom finds out what he quite loves flying and he's even really good at the games they played. He had a newfound hobby, which was something he enjoyed a great deal...something his older self had never experienced in such a way.

In fact, younger Tom was learning a lot of things his older self knew nothing of; such as negotiation without pure gain, the beginnings of friendship and most recently...trust.

To be continued...
End Notes:
Please review and let me know what you think of Basil and Draco's knowing the secret now too, etc.


This story archived at http://www.potionsandsnitches.org/fanfiction/viewstory.php?sid=2151