Life's Best Laid Plans by missyanne
Summary: When the great granddaughter of Aberforth Dumbledore moves to Britain to be close to her fiancé, and is hired to teach Magical History at Hogwarts, Severus Snape and Lucy O'Conner discover that sometimes fate (or six-year-old Harry) has a way of throwing a wrench into life's best laid plans.
Categories: Parental Snape > Guardian Snape, Parental Snape > Biological Father Snape Main Characters: .Snape and Harry (required), Dumbledore, Arthur, Molly, Original Character, Other, Remus, Sirius
Snape Flavour: None
Genres: Drama, Family
Media Type: None
Tags: Adoption, Child fic
Takes Place: 0 - Pre Hogwarts (before Harry is 11)
Warnings: Romance/Het
Challenges: None
Series: None
Chapters: 42 Completed: Yes Word count: 200456 Read: 219929 Published: 30 May 2010 Updated: 25 Mar 2011
"...too" by missyanne

***6 November, 1986-2:00 p.m. ***

The great doors that led to the hospital wing swung open, seemingly of their own accord. They hit hard against the stone walls and the subsequent 'Bang' echoed through the corridors.

"Poppy!" Severus cried out in desperation. As much as he tried to maintain control over his fear, his rising panic was evident in the sound of his voice. Lucy's breathing was shallow and Severus could barely feel her faint pulse.

From the moment he reached Lucy as she lay on the cold ground just below the castle steps, Lucy had been fading in and out of consciousness, her weak voice claiming in protest that she was fine.

Poppy immediately came from her office upon hearing the hospital doors fly open. She and Travis Hornsby, her seventh year N.E.W.T. intern student, were in the process of taking inventory in of her potions when in order to give Severus a list of what needed replenishing after the past weeks rash of pranks.

"Hornsby-Contact Professor McGonagall and inform her Professor Snape has delivered Dr. O'Conner to the Hospital."

The red headed Hufflepuff quickly slipped back into Pomfrey's office to Floo call the Deputy Head Mistress.

Poppy hurriedly directed Severus to the nearest bed where he laid Lucy down with delicate care. He lay a calloused and potion stained hand on Lucy's forehead. Concern was unashamedly etched on his countenance as he worriedly fixed his gaze on Lucy's pallid face and graying lips.

Her skin was cold and sticky with perspiration and her gold tresses, now darkened with sweat, clung to the side of her cheeks, making her appearance all the more ashen. Though Lucy now lay quietly, it was apparent she was not in peaceful repose. Severus could see her eyes dart under her dark lids, as if struggling through some silent, internal pain.

"Severus-You need to step back," the Matron ordered somewhat harshly, more concerned for her patient's well being than Severus' emotional turmoil.

Severus took an unsteady step backwards as Poppy cast the appropriate spells to ensure Lucy received enough oxygen to her brain. The rise and fall of Lucy's chest became steady, and the color began to return to her lips. .

Madam Pomfrey was too immersed in her job of saving Lucy and her baby, and Severus was too overcome with anxiety to notice Hornsby usher Minerva into the room. Severus only took notice when Minerva had placed her hands on her younger colleague's shoulders and guided him over to a chair on the opposite side of the room.

Hornsby slipped in beside his mentor. "Is there anything I can do to help, Madam?"

"Yes, Mr. Hornsby," Poppy replied as she lay her hand over Lucy's distended belly, checking for signs of fetal movement. "Help me position Dr. O'Conner on her side. Her blood pressure is only fifty-seven over thirty-six. We need to turn her."

Still swept up in his personal nightmare, Severus took no heed of the quick glances Poppy's intern cut in his direction as he placed pillows behind Lucy's back so as to keep her in position. If Severus had seen the young man's face, he would have noticed an ill-hidden look of astonishment, as if the boy realised for the first time that his austere Potions Professor was, indeed, human after all.

Severus felt as if his legs were made of water and he found himself suddenly sitting in a chair to the side of the sceme, with his elbows on his knees and head hanging low between his shoulders. It was a pose he had perfected as a student trying to escape notice. He barely acknowledged that Minerva had informed him that Albus had been at the Ministry since before lunch, and that he was due back shortly. She kept a reassuring hand on Severus' shoulder, but upon hearing Lucy's vital signs, Minerva had to force him to stay seated. Lucy's blood pressure was so low, she was practically comatose.

Time lost meaning to Severus as he watched Poppy work her magic on Lucy. He had been unaware of all else going around him. He was so numb inside that he had not noticed Minerva's comforting touch had been replaced by Aberforth's and that Minerva was bringing Albus and the search party up to date on what had happened to Lucy. Severus was too busy trying to suppress the images of having to tell Harry that they had lost their beloved Lucy. He felt as though he had been sitting in his chair for hours, when in fact, it was only a few minutes later that Poppy had announced that both Lucy and the baby were now stabilised and both were expected to recover.

Severus looked over his shoulder when Aberforth patted him on the back. "Come Severus, Let's go see our girl." The old man gripped Severus under his right arm and helped him to his feet.

The young Intern placed two chairs beside Lucy's bed before Madam Pomfrey had dismissed him for the day. Hornsby took one last look at the Potions Master before he made his exit.

Severus took the seat directly in front of Lucy and took one of her small hands. He wanted to be there for her when she woke up. He extended his arm and placed his left hand on Lucy's growing belly, hoping the gesture would let the child know that she too was loved and cared for. He could feel the baby flutter under his rough hand. It had done more to still his aching heart than any reassuring diagnosis Poppy could have given.

Aberforth sat next to Severus and began rubbing his great-granddaughter's arm. He looked to the Matron as she recorded her findings on Lucy's chart. "What happened to Lucy?" he asked as he looked at Lucy with care etched on his face.

Poppy hung Lucy's chart at the end of the bed and quietly said, "She has a severe case of hypotension coupled with extreme physical and magical exhaustion."

"She cast two Patronus charms simultaneously not ten minutes before she collapsed," Severus said softly as he smoothed Lucy's hair off her face.

"It is of no wonder," Poppy said placing her hand over her heart in shock. "In the shape she is in, Dr. O'Conner must have used her last physical reserves to perform that spell. She risked her magic with such a feat." Poppy's expression clouded in concern and then she collected herself and continued in a more professional manner. "I can easily keep her hypotension under control with a simple potion; however, she is in desperate need of recuperative sleep, for both her physical and magical well being."

Severus and Aberforth kept their solemn watch at Lucy's side, drawing strength from the other's silent companionship and grateful to one another that they need not express maudlin platitudes to express their mutual worry.


As Severus sat at near Lucy, Aberforth smiled as he recognised something in the young man, almost as if gazing into a mirror into the past. Not that Severus Snape physically resembled a youthful Aberforth.

No…the recognition came from Severus eyes. Not their colour, but rather the depth of emotion that radiated from within. Aberforth recognised that feeling. It was the same feeling he felt for his dear, long past Ellie. Aberforth hoped his granddaughter realised what a fortunate young woman she is.


Whilst Severus and Aberforth continued to keep their vigil over Lucy, Albus stood back, closer to Poppy's office and informed the others of his business at the Ministry.

Albus too, was intensely worried for his niece as he continued to steal glances in Lucy's direction. She may have saved more than Harry's life this day by immediately informing himself and Minerva of Sirius Black's presence on the school grounds. That she produced two Patronuses was a wonder. In addition, she had the forethought to charm her Patronus so only the intended receiver could hear the message. That deed in itself, had prevented a wide spread panic throughout the school.

Wondrous magic indeed. Lucy had always produced her most powerful magic in the height of her emotions. Albus doubted she could repeat the same again.

"You mean to tell me he won't send Aurors?" Filius squeaked in disbelief.

"Minister Fudge insists that since I declined his initial offer to have Dementors patrol the school for Black, then I obviously feel that school wards are adequate to keep Black at bay. He claims it is an unnecessary expense," Albus said with uncharacteristic heat.

"But surely now that Sirius Black has actually set foot on Hogwarts grounds, he will grant your request for additional security," Remus said with a hint of guilt in his voice. "I feel horrible about this, Headmaster. Had I thought there was any possibility of his escape, I would have informed the Ministry that… Sirius was an Animagus long ago."

"Other than Wards to prevent Apparition and Disappariton, the only deterrent for escaping the island is fear of being captured, and thereby consequently sentenced to the Dementor's Kiss. It is not your fault that the Ministry did not take into account that an individual may actually be warped enough in his mind to risk his soul in the search for revenge," Albus said sadly. He too felt he had a guilty hand in the Black affair. He should have listened to young Severus all of those years ago, when the boy claimed that Black's attempt to lead him into a fully formed Werewolf was the act of a deranged individual and not a mere schoolboy prank. Perhaps the Potters would still be alive today had Albus listened.

"As for my request for additional security, unfortunately Minister Fudge will only grant my request if I agree to the Dementors… and that I will not do. Lucy is not my only concern in this matter. I have a school full of children to consider."

"But why? Why insist upon Dementors?" Filius inquired.

"I believe it is a ploy," Albus explained bitterly. "The Ministry is anxious to find any reason to take over Harry's guardianship. Sending the Azkaban guards to Hogwarts will cause an outcry amongst the wizarding world. People will claim that Harry Potter is too dangerous to reside alongside with other wizards and witches, especially children. Existing laws may not allow the Ministry to take Harry from Severus for the time being, but the Minister has insinuated that laws can be changed."

Remus' jaw dropped in disbelief. "They wouldn't d…"

"If given the chance, they may," Albus injected before Remus could finish his thought.

"Then what will you tell the Board of Governors?" Minerva asked. Her face was tight with frustration and worry. "They will hear of this latest lockdown. Once they find out Black was here, they will demand that something be done."

"We tell no one of Black," Albus said simply. "If the Ministry were to find out, I do not believe I could persuade them to keep the Dementors out this time. We keep this to ourselves and tell the students and the governors that the lockdown is a precautionary measure until Black is caught."

Remus frowned. He crossed his arms defensively over his chest and was shaking his head in disagreement with the Headmaster. "It may do you no good."

Albus raised a snowy eyebrow. "Oh…explain," he said curiously.

Remus dropped his arms and stuffed his hands into his pockets. "There are at least seven secret passage ways that lead into the castle, possibly more." Albus noticed Remus' focused gaze on Lucy.

Apparently she had awakened but was obviously very weak. Madam Pomfrey handed a potion phial to Severus who was leaning over, speaking softly too Lucy. Albus could tell that Remus too, yearned to check on his friend, but alas, this was Severus' and Aberforth's time.

Remus quickly redirected his attention when Minerva tried for a second time to obtain an answer from him.

"I said… how do you know of these passages, Mr. Lupin?" Minerva said to Remus as if he were still one of her cubs.

Remus flushed as his former professors stared at him, waiting for an answer. He placed his fist over his mouth and nervously cleared his throat. "We created a map," he placed his hand back into his pocket to hide his twitching fingers. "James, Peter, myself…and Sirius. It shows the entire school…everything…and everybody."

"Everybody?" Professor Flitwick said with mounting interest. "How do you mean?"

"The map was charmed to reveal where every person in the school is located at any given time. We managed to get away with far more…excursions…than we were ever punished for. Sorry Professor," he said the last to Minerva repentantly.

"We will discuss detention with Filtch later Mr. Lupin," Professor McGonagall said curtly.

"Yes," Albus broke in. "This map could prove quite useful."

"Well…" Remus said as if fishing for the right thing to say. "Sirius claimed he lost the map sometime late in our seventh year. He…"

Albus raised his hand and stopped Remus in the middle of his explanation. "Then I'm afraid we need to remove Harry from this castle at once. Minerva, where is Harry now?"

"He is still with Molly and the children in the west wing."

Albus directed his senior professors. "Minerva, please see to it that the Weasley's return safely to the Burrow. Filius please retrieve Harry and escort him to Severus…and make haste." He then turned to Remus and said urgently. "Professor Sprout is going about the castle ensuring that the Wards are still in place. Find her and Mr. Filtch. Show them the tunnels and make sure they are secure."

With a determined look, Remus gave the Headmaster a quick nod of affirmation. He afforded one last glance in Lucy's direction before proceeding to his assigned task. As he exited the hospital wing, he cast a quick Point Me spell to guide him to Professor Sprout, and he hasted on his way.

Albus looked over where his younger brother and his Potions Master as they talked quietly to Lucy, reassuring Lucy as well as one another.

Albus felt the sting of jealousy. What was it? Eighty…Ninety years since his last civil conversation with Aberforth. And here in the space of a few short months, Aberforth had begun to bond with Severus.

His younger brother resided less than five miles from Hogwarts, and yet he had gone years at a time without seeing him. During those summer visits that brought Esther and her family from the United States to see Aberforth, Esther would at least spare a couple of days to see her Uncle Albus. Until Lucy arrived this past summer, it was the only connection to family Albus had. He hadn't realised how much he missed his brother.

The Headmaster absorbed the touching scene before him into his mind, then mentally steeled himself for the unpleasant task and inevitable firestorm that he was about to ignite.

He had to inform Severus that Harry needed to return to the Dursley's.


Severus held Lucy's tiny hand in his, tracing the outline of her small fingers with his own long, rough index finger. His left hand still lay protectively over her abdomen. He began to give into his own emotional exhaustion as his chin began to sink into his chest. Severus suddenly came to attention at the sound of a soft, barely audible moan.

"Mmm…The baby?" Lucy had only managed to lift her eyelids to slits. She tried to move her right hand towards her belly, but the effort proved too great. When Severus noticed, he tenderly took Lucy's hand and placed it over the baby, resting his own atop hers.

"She is unharmed," Severus said in whisper reassurance as he leaned in.

"Harry?" she asked, as she attempted to lift her head and failed. "Is he sa…"

"Shh…" Severus said, smoothing his free hand over her brow in a soothing gesture. "He is safe. What do you remember?" That Lucy could not remember Molly shepherding the children into the castle was concerning. She had not lost consciousness until after the children were safe inside.

Lucy held on to Severus' hand, though she shielded her eyes from the light in the crook of her arm. Her mumbled answer made no sense to Severus "You…witchcraft…egrets."

Severus slowly sat upright in his chair. He wasn't sure that he had heard Lucy correctly. He looked over to Aberforth, wondering if he could offer clarification to Lucy's ramblings.

"I'm not sure what she is trying to say." Aberforth admitted. "But I do happen to know that her Patronus is a snowy egret."

Another moan from Lucy brought Severus' attention back to her. He took his left hand and moved a lank strand of hair from her face. "Are you in pain?"

"Mmm, hmm."

"Headache?"

"Mmm."

Before Severus could ask Aberforth to retrieve the required potions from his personal stores, the vigilant Matron was handing him a phial. "It will ease her headache and help her sleep," she responded to his unasked question.

Severus glared at Poppy suspiciously and raised a questioning brow.

Poppy's lips thinned in annoyance. "It's only as mild pain reliever and a low dose Sleeping Draught, Severus," she said tartly. "It won't harm her or the child. Remember who the mediwitch is, if you will."

Severus groused as he grudgingly accepted the potion. He popped open the phial and brought it up to his nose to check the odour. He then inspected the potion's colour.

Satisfied that Poppy would not inadvertently poison Lucy, Severus gave her a nod in gratitude, then once again leaned over Lucy "Lucy…take this it will help."

Lucy tried to comply, but she did not have the strength to hold up her head. Severus handed off the potion bottle to Aberforth as he gingerly helped raise her into a better position. Aberforth gave the potion back to Severus, and he put the phial to Lucy's lips.

Lucy grimaced at the foul taste. Aberforth arose from his chair and quickly stepped over to the side table on the other side of Lucy's bed. He poured a glass of water from the waiting glass decanter and handed it to Severus.

Once Lucy had taken enough water to rid the disgusting taste from her mouth, she gave a tiny nod. Severus gave the nearly full water glass back to Lucy's grandfather, and then eased her head back to her pillow.

"Better?" Severus asked as he once again grasped Lucy's hand and held them between his own.

"M'Yes," Lucy answered sleepily. Severus' face looked slightly surprised as Lucy withdrew her hand from his, but instead of bringing it to rest beside her; she reached out to him. Her hand dropped slightly as she lacked energy.

Severus lowered his head, sensing Lucy's need to know that she was not dreaming. She once again raised her hand and touched Severus' face. Her fingers followed the worry lines under his obsidian eyes, her thumb traced down the shape of his hooked nose. Severus placed his hand over hers, never wanting it to leave him.

He gazed into Lucy's eyes. They were drowsy, but the spark had returned to them. She gazed back into Severus' eyes and whispered as softly as a warm breeze. "I love you too, Severus." Then she drifted off into peaceful slumber.

Severus pressed his lips into her palm, squeezing his eyes shut in an effort to keep from shedding his joyous tears. His heart soared.

The End.


This story archived at http://www.potionsandsnitches.org/fanfiction/viewstory.php?sid=2169