Life's Best Laid Plans by missyanne
Summary: When the great granddaughter of Aberforth Dumbledore moves to Britain to be close to her fiancé, and is hired to teach Magical History at Hogwarts, Severus Snape and Lucy O'Conner discover that sometimes fate (or six-year-old Harry) has a way of throwing a wrench into life's best laid plans.
Categories: Parental Snape > Guardian Snape, Parental Snape > Biological Father Snape Main Characters: .Snape and Harry (required), Dumbledore, Arthur, Molly, Original Character, Other, Remus, Sirius
Snape Flavour: None
Genres: Drama, Family
Media Type: None
Tags: Adoption, Child fic
Takes Place: 0 - Pre Hogwarts (before Harry is 11)
Warnings: Romance/Het
Challenges: None
Series: None
Chapters: 42 Completed: Yes Word count: 200456 Read: 219947 Published: 30 May 2010 Updated: 25 Mar 2011
At Spinner's End by missyanne
Author's Notes:
What will Severus do when Albus tells him he can no longer keep Harry?

***6 November, 1986-4:23 p.m. ***

Aberforth had finally convinced Severus that he could now leave Lucy's side long enough to receive Lucy's prognosis from Poppy. Severus stood to with his arms crossed over his chest, listening intently to what Lucy's midwife had to say. Aberforth stood next to Severus, absently patting the younger wizard on his shoulder. Albus was with them, standing slightly aside and looking exceedingly uncomfortable, as if his presence was an intrusion.

"She needs bed rest," Poppy said firmly. "Natural sleep is preferable. You will need to see that her lessons are covered for the next week, Headmaster."

Severus looked back over his shoulder at Lucy. Poppy said she was doing well, had he missed something? "A week? Why so long?"

"I don't know if you've ever cast a Patronus, Professor Snape," Poppy said almost accusingly, "But casting one charm can be draining on a healthy witch or wizard. By casting two, Dr. O'Conner injured herself magically and can't just go about her merry way. Had I simply needed to treat hypotension and insomnia, I assure you, she would be back in her classroom by Monday."

Severus struggled to no take offence at the Madam Pomfrey's statement, but it was hard not to.

It was mostly speculation amongst the general public, but it a fact nonetheless, Death Eater's could not cast a Patronus Charm, and it was not because of lack of trying on the part of many. It had to do with taking on the Dark Mark. Severus did not know the magic behind it, but he was all too aware of the Dark Lord's motivation for stripping his minions of the power to caste the charm. In one word… control.

There were many myths as to the way the Dark Lord punished turncoats, from the use of Unforgivables to sexual deviancy. But the truth was, the Dark Lord's favourite punishment for traitors was to feed them to Dementors, and the Dark Lord could not risk a traitor defending him or herself.

It was the fate that befell Regulus Black. Severus had not known Black's crime nor witnessed the actual Kiss, but he had seen the horrifying results. It was only after the poor boy had become a soulless shell that the Dark Lord had killed his body…and then cursed it into an Inferius. That was an image that still haunted Severus to this day.

The common witch and wizard did not know the Dark Lord had at one time managed to gain the loyalty of Dementors. He had promised them Muggle souls in exchange for their allegiance. Many Muggle victims of Dementors still lay in hospitals; suffering unexplained catatonia... many, many more were Inferi.

It is said that to every rule there is an exception. Fortunately for Severus, he became the exception to the rule.

Severus had only seen is original Patronus form once before he accepted the Dark Mark. He had cast it in his N.E.W.T. DADA lesson in his seventh year. Severus remembers the form fondly. It was a fox. He distinctly remembered the memory he used to conjure it-when he first met Lily that long ago day in the neighbourhood playground.

He also recalled how devastated he was when he realised he could no longer cast the faintest wisp of his Patronus after he had taken the Mark. It was if he had lost a piece of himself.

It wasn't until after he had given Albus the information that put Lily and her family into hiding that fear and desperation had led him to attempt casting a Patronus once again. It was to his ultimate surprise to find it had changed to a doe. A deer…a female deer!

Severus was of two minds on this. First, he was elated that he could once again cast a Patronus, and instinctively, he knew that it represented Lily. However happy he was about the ability's reappearance, he knew acknowledged that his male pride would never allow him to brag about it…to anyone.

He remembered too, the innocent memory that produced that Patronus-the day Lily talked him into the Blood Brother ritual.

Something else of significance happened that day. The excruciating pain that accompanied a Summoning from the Dark Lord had ceased. Severus remembered that Summoning well. The usual burn had turned into nothing more than an irritating twitch. Once again, instinct or a higher power had told him that he had been freed him from his self imposed slavery.

Of course Severus could do nothing more than rely on conjecture, but perhaps the innocent blood oath was the reason why Lily's Blood Wards were able to keep out other Death Eaters whilst Severus could still protect Harry. He could not imagine that his blood connection with Lily was enough. He did wonder what if he were still loyal to the Dark Lord. Would the blood connection alone render the Wards useless?

"It may astonish you to hear this, Madam," Severus said smugly. "But I too, can produce a Patronus." As much as Severus would like to put the presumptuous Matron in her place, he had more important things to do than defend his pride.

Severus turned to Albus and inclined his head to excuse himself. "If you will pardon me Headmaster, I need to collect Harry and pack. Before we leave, I will give you a copy of my class syllabi." Severus then turned to Aberforth. "Aberforth, would you be so kind as to accompany me. You can access Lucy's quarters through my Floo. I was hoping you could pack some of Lucy's things and collect her rabbit whilst I ready Harry."

Aberforth unquestioningly agreed and had taken one step forward to leave with Severus when Albus interrupted. "Severus? I agree that Harry is no longer safe in the castle, but why…?"

Severus paused to explain himself. Of course Albus would need to understand why Severus was taking Lucy with him. "If Black was set upon Harry by Musgrave, it stands to reason he may have sent Black after Lucy as well. She is defenceless in her present condition and you do not have the extra staff to post a guard. Until she can defend herself again, Spinners End is the safest place for her, and Harry."

Severus turned on his heel to continue on his way, when Albus words stopped him in his tracks. "I am sorry but I believe that you misunderstand me, Severus." Severus and Aberforth both turned to meet Albus, both each man offering the wizard headmaster a dangerous glare. They recognised the tone in Albus' voice and did not like what they were hearing. "I was going to ask why you needed to pack."

"Because, Harry is too young to stay home alone," Severus said chillingly as he took a step closer to his employer, indicating that he readying himself for a fight that from which he was not about to back down from. "I know this is short notice to inform you that I will be taking an indefinite leave of absence, but under the circumstances…"

"Severus," the Headmaster lowered his head and said gravely. "We must resign ourselves to the possibility that it may be quite some time before Black is captured and you do not have the means to care for Harry for an indeterminate time. Loathe as I am to say it, I believe, at least for the time being-that Harry should return to the Dur…"

"Do not go further with that statement, Albus," Severus growled a quiet warning between is gritted teeth. As the vein in the temple of his head began to visibly pulse, he moved to take his wand from his sleeve when Aberforth placed a retraining hand on him. However, Severus ignored the elder wizard, pointed his wand towards Lucy and uttered, "Muffliato."

Once he knew that he would not disturb Lucy's sleep, Severus lashed out at his employer. "You are suffering from dementia, Old Man, if you think for an instant that I would send Harry back to those detestable Muggles!"

"I do not relish the notion of having to send Harry back to his relatives, Severus, but you cannot take care of Harry alone and surely you see the Wards surrounding the Burrow are inadequate since Sirius Black was somehow capable of breaching the school barriers. It would be selfish and irresponsible to ask and Molly and Arthur to continue to care for Harry," Albus reasoned. "I know Petunia is not the...ideal...caretaker for Harry, but Lily's blood protection is Harry's last and best defence."

"Then why not allow Severus to care for Harry?" Aberforth's said, his chest heaving with anger. "The Blood Wards are every bit as strong with him, and you would only be confusin' the child by shuffling' him around from pillar to post!"

"I'm not about to pack him off because juggling child care with my career is inconvenient. Harry is not an inconvenience. He is a child, Albus. My child!" Severus emphasised by pounding this point with a quick, sharp jab at his own chest. "And I will not give Harry back to Dursley's 'tender mercies','" Severus spat out. He turned away from the Headmaster before his anger caused him to do something he would regret.

"Severus…," Albus said in a tone meant to placate his irate Potions Master. "This time, we will keep a better watch of Harry. I promise that I will not allow them to treat Harry…"

Severus spun around and pointed an accusing finger at Albus. "Do not waste my time on promises you cannot keep, Albus. You don't have the resources to keep a spy in the house, and watching from the outside would be useless. Forget it, Old Man. As I stated before, I will find a way to take care of Harry-and Lucy!"

Albus was about to continue his argument when Severus watched his salvation walk into the room with Professor Sprout.

"Lupin! I am in need of a favour!" Severus shouted out and startled the man. Severus remembered the suggestion Lucy had made, and Lupin had shown where his loyalties lie-with Harry.

After explaining the predicament he was in to the former Marauder, Remus agreed without hesitation. "Of course I'll help Severus. Lily was my friend too," he said understandingly. "And Lucy is my friend."

Severus fixed his face with a clearly triumphant expression as he cast his attention back to his employer. The Headmaster raised his hands in a gesture of capitulation. "It is a sound alternative Severus," Albus admitted. "Please remember, my boy that I am not your enemy. I only wish to see Harry safe."

"At least there is something we can both agree upon," Severus sighed through his relief.

***7 November, 1986 ***

Lucy groaned softly. Her eyes adjusted to the haze of light streaming from a small gap in between chocolate brown drapes. The primal comfort she was experiencing between the warm cotton sheets and the feeling that she had finally had a restful sleep surpassed the confusion of waking up in a strange place.

She closed her eyes again and sighed. Lucy grabbed her pillow and shifted from her left side to her right. As she settled into a comfortable position, she had the overwhelming sensation of being watched. She reluctantly opened her eyes. A sleepy smile spread on Lucy's face when she was welcomed back into life by a pair of curious and vivid emerald eyes behind a pair of heavy rectangular frames.

"Hi, Miss Lucy." Little Harry had been leaning against the tall four poster bed, his arms folded atop the mattress. His chin was resting on his arms and his almond-shaped eyes were examining Lucy.

"Hi, Sweetie," Lucy replied, her own eyes showning an answering a smile. She slowly worked herself into an upright position and straightened a thin, red woollen blanket over her lap. She looked about as she took stock of the unfamiliar surroundings in which she found herself.

The room was small and plain. The four poster queen size bed she currently occupied, took up the majority of the space in the room. The rest of the space seemed to be eaten up by an overly large clothing armoire standing in the right corner of the room. There were two small tables on either side of the bed; books occupied the table on the right, and a small reading lamp on the left. Progressing further to the left was the wall with the only window in the room. There was a door off in the left corner facing the bed. The walls were light beige and held no paintings or photographs. The only personal item seen in the room was a small photograph of Harry and Severus beside the reading lamp. Other than that one decoration, the room was completely utilitarian and almost sterile in its military cleanliness.

Lucy could tell by how high the sun shone through the drapery fabric, that it must be sometime in the early afternoon. She noticed she was wearing a pair of very comfortable men's flannel pyjamas.

"Where are we, Harry?" Lucy asked curiously as she stretched her legs under the blanket. Mentally, she felt more aware than she had in a week. Physically, she felt like she had been run down by a rampaging Peruvian Vipertooth.

"You're at our house," Harry said proudly. "Daddy said he needed me to take care of you and Thor when he's at Hogwarts. Oh-do you want something to drink?" he asked, suddenly remembering his manners.

"A glass of water would be nice…," and before she could ask her next question, Harry had scampered from the room. Lucy surmised he must have only have gone as far as the bathroom sink. She could hear the tap running from behind the wall.

Upon Harry's return, Lucy knew Severus wasn't home when she noticed Harry's the boy's feet. Harry was running about in his stocking feet in the mid-afternoon, something Severus would never allow.

Harry shuffled into the room, carefully holding a nearly brimming glass of water between both hands. As he placed it on the side table, Lucy asked, "Harry, who's here with us?"

"Mr. Lupin is helping me take care of you."

"And Mr. Lupin asked you to let him know if Miss Lucy were to awaken," a tenor voice said from the doorway. Alf stood there leaning on the door jam with his arms crossed in a show of mock irritation.

Lucy looked up and gave a tired smile as Harry turned to Alf. "I'm sorry, but Ms. Lucy was thirsty," he turned his attention back to Lucy, looking at her expectantly.

Lucy picked up the glass of water from the table and took a sip. "I just woke up, Alf, and Harry is being the perfect little host." The water was tepid, but she did not care. All she wanted was to get rid of her cotton mouth and the taste of ass that came from not being able to brush her teeth for a couple days.

She licked her dry lips and put the glass back down. She knew her hair must look like a rat's nest exploded on the top of her head, but there was nothing to be done for right now.

"Thank you, Harry," she said sweetly.

"You're, welcome," Harry said with an emphatic nodded of his head and then gave Alf a cheeky 'I told you so' look.

Alf and Lucy could not but smile at Harry's determination to take his job seriously.

"So, why are we in Manchester?" Lucy asked Alf with a bit more seriousness.

"Well, 'Hello' to you too, Girly Girl," Alf said in mock offence. He walked into the room and took a seat at the foot of the bed. "It seems you have been neglecting yourself as of late," he chided. "And as Hogwarts is not as secure as we once believed and you are in no condition to use your magic at the moment, it was decided that the best place to keep you and Harry safe from Black would be in Severus' home."

Lucy looked at Alf in shock. Did he just mention Sirius Black in front of Harry? She was about to ask Alf an artfully phrased question when Harry answered her question for her. "Daddy told me all about Sirius Black," he said as he rubbed his bum.

Evidently, Severus had found the occasion of Harry ambling off to follow a stray dog, offence enough to warrant a spanking. Lucy did not usually approve of corporal punishment, but Harry knew well and good that he was to never wander away from his caregivers. Severus must have been beside himself with terror as he watched Black attempt to lure Harry away. Lucy could not condemn a smack on the rear in this case.

But how much did he tell Harry?

Alf apparently noticed the concern on Lucy's face. He took the opportunity to explain what was said. "Severus told Harry that Black had killed a great many Muggles and had escaped from prison," he then gave Harry a lifted brow as he added, "He also told Harry that some wizards could change into animals at will, and that the dog was actually Sirius Black."

"Uh-huh," Harry told Lucy emphatically. "And I had to promise to never, ever…" Harry paused and scrunched his forehead, as if to remember his daddy's exact words. "'Blindly run off and approach a strange animal under any sir…come…circumstances-like a careless dunderhead'."

Harry said the last of the sentence with a sharp, hair-flopping nod and stood straighter, his chest pushed up proudly because he had learned his lesson and could repeat it.

Lucy wanted to laugh, but she instead rubbed the bridge of her nose. She felt a dull aching throb radiating from behind her eyes.

"Do you have a headache?" Alf questioned.

"Yes," Lucy said a bit irritably, wishing she wasn't such an invalid.

Alf patted her on a leg and arose from the side of the bed. "Madam Pomfrey said that might be the case. You're going to have to take potions to control low blood pressure for the rest of your pregnancy."

Lucy gave a sullen nod to convey her understanding. Her sister, Terri, had to deal with hypotension during her pregnancies. Lucy had too much going on to be able to take away time from her work. What would her new employer think?

"I'll fix you a light lunch and bring you your potion," Alf told her.

"Thank you, Alf," Lucy said, making a concerted effort not to bite her friend's head off this time.

She took another sip of her water and she turned her attention to Harry. The little boy was giving her a curious look through his black spectacles. The child had a way of lightening her spirits with his mere presence. "If you don't mind, I'd like Harry to keep me company."

Alf gave a wide, knowing grin. "Of course," he said, and then left for the kitchen.

Harry was still staring intently at Lucy when he finally asked, "How come you got so sick?"

Lucy chuckled despite her headache. "I believe the question would be, 'Why are you sick?'"

"Then why are you sick?" Harry repeated the question. Lucy could hear the real concern in the boy's query.

Lucy pressed her finger against an acupressure point above her eye, trying to ease the oncoming ache and giving herself time to think of an honest answer that the child would understand. "Well…I suppose Harry… I was feeling bad about some things that happened and I wanted to change but couldn't. I just worried so much, that I made myself sick." Lucy hoped it would be enough for now. She didn't think her brain could handle too many questions as of yet.

"Do you have 'grets?" Harry asked innocently.

Lucy gave him a perplexed gaze. Had the child seen her Patronus? She vaguely remembered conjuring the egrets at the memory of hers and Severus' dance the first night they were together. But what did a Patronus have to do with falling ill?

"What do you mean, Harry?"

"Well-when Daddy first came to get me, he was real grumpy," he said with an earnest expression on his face. Lucy could almost see Harry's brain try to wrap itself around his memories. "And he would get grumpy real easy sometimes, but I think it was because he had 'grets."

Lucy reached over the side of the bed to lift Harry next to her. "Do you mean 'regrets', Sweetheart?" she had a feeling this may be a long conversation. It took quite a bit of her strength to lift the child, but Lucy wanted to make Harry comfortable.

"Yeah- regrets," he giggled as he crossed his legs to settle himself in. "I think maybe your regrets made you sick like Daddy's regrets made him grumpy."

Lucy could tell Harry was considering her. She felt a bit concerned. What would a six year old child know of regret?

"Harry, what makes you think your daddy has regrets?"

Harry shrugged his boney little shoulders, he seemed a little sadder, but still confident. He gave a little sigh as he continued with his story. "The first time we went to see my mummy and daddy that went to Heaven, I asked how they died."

"And what did your daddy tell you?" Lucy asked gently.

"Well, I'll tell you, but it might make you sad."

"I'm okay, Harry. I promise." Lucy took Harry's tiny hand in hers. She wondered if Harry wanted to tell the story for his own benefit and she would allow him the opportunity to do so.

"Okay," Harry said almost cautiously. "Daddy told me that my mummy and daddy found out a bad wizard was after them and they took me and hid. But then Daddy said that they trusted someone to keep the secret of where we were, but that man told the bad wizard and the bad wizard found us and he killed my mummy and daddy." Harry gave a little sniff and as he wiped his nose with his sleeve.

Lucy's heart sank as Harry told his story. However, she could not help but admonish Harry as he wiped snot on his sleeve. "Harry!"

She scanned to tables both the tables next to the bed, wishing she had her wand to transfigure a handkerchief. She opened up a side drawer and thankfully found an old a yellowing box of tissues. Lucy took the box and handed a couple of tissues to the leaking child. Lucy was about to tell Harry he needn't finish his story, but he continued on after he wiped is nose, this time with the tissue.

"I asked Daddy who told my mummy and daddy that a bad wizard was after them and Daddy got quiet. He just said it was just some other wizard and I asked him how that wizard knew. Daddy said that the wizard who warned Mummy and Daddy was very stupid when he was young. He said the wizard was a lonely boy and had lost his only friend. Then other wizards came and told him they would be his friends if he followed some powerful wizard. The powerful wizard told the boy what he wanted to hear so the boy followed him."

Lucy could tell Harry was beginning to ramble as he desperately tried to recall every detail of that conversation with Severus, but the boy only paused long enough to wipe his dripping nose.

"Daddy said it was too late for the boy then. He found out that the wizard was very bad, but he couldn't get away. He said one day, the boy overheard Uncle Albus talking to a witch about a good wizard who would beat the bad wizard. Another follower of bad wizard was about, and the boy was afraid that if he didn't tell the bad wizard what he heard, he would get in bad trouble. But one day, the boy found out that the bad wizard thought that he was talking about my mummy and daddy and he told Uncle Albus and Uncle Albus hid us. He said the boy…regretted…ever saying anything to that bad wizard and wished he would have been brave enough to be punished instead. He didn't mean for anything bad to happen to my mummy and daddy… But you know what?"

"What?" Lucy said in a hushed voice. Severus had told the child a much sanitized version of the truth, but it was the truth nonetheless. The most astonishing thing was that Harry seemed to remember every word of it.

Harry looked around, as if making sure no one else could hear his secret. "I think Daddy was that sad boy. I think he was the one who told the bad wizard what was said to Uncle Albus."

Lucy was awestruck. How had Harry figured that out? But Lucy only said, "Why do you think that?"

"Because," Harry said between his incessant sniffles. "Daddy was so sad when he told me. He tried to hide it, but I could tell he was crying. That's the only time I ever saw Daddy cry."

Lucy was at a loss for words. She wondered at a child's heart. Harry had just admitted that he knew Severus was the one who had given Tom Riddle the information that led the beast to the Potter's, but the child so obviously had forgiven Severus for his grievous sins. Once again, before she could ask her questions, Harry continued on.

"Sometimes, I think we all do things we don't mean to do. Daddy didn't mean to do anything to hurt my mummy and daddy. He was scared and it just happened and even though he wanted to, he couldn't change what happened. I think he felt so bad about it; he didn't think he deserved to be happy. That's why he was so grumpy. But when he began to take care of me and protect me, it was a way for him to make up for the bad thing he did."

"Harry," Lucy said in wonderment, "I think you're the wisest six-year-old I've ever met."

Harry gave her a sheepish smile. "It's the same thing for you, I think," Harry continued with his reasoning. "You shouldn't make yourself sick over something you can't change. Instead you should do like Daddy, and try to make things as right as you can now."

Lucy took a couple of tissues out of the box that was now in her lap and wiped her own traitorous nose. She held open her arms and said, "Come here, Sweetie."

Harry scrambled up the bed and nestled his way into Lucy's arms the lay his head on her bosom. Lucy kissed the top of Harry's head, and then let her own rest atop his.

After a couple of minutes of giving each other silent comfort, Harry put his hand on Lucy's belly and caste his eyes up to her.

"Miss Lucy?"

"Yes, Harry?"

"I was thinking."

"You do quite a bit of that, don't you?" Lucy chuckled.

"Uh-huh," Harry readily agreed. "I was thinking, this is the first time you're going to be a mummy-right?"

"Yes it is," Lucy answered, wondering where this line of questioning was going.

"Well, I figured, if this is the first time for you to be a mummy, you might want some practice."

Lucy caught her breath and looked down at the sweet face that was looking so expectantly into hers. She took her hand and instinctively tried to straighten Harry's stubborn mop of hair.

"I might," she coyly admitted. "Do you know anyone who would be willing to help me?"

"Me!" Harry eagerly offered himself as he scrambled to sit on his knees. "I can help you. You can practice on me if you want to!"

Lucy took Harry's face into her hands and wiggled her nose against his. "There is no one I would want to help me more."

Harry threw himself into Lucy's motherly embrace.

Lucy too, swore in her heart to take care of Harry as her own, and make up for the bad thing she did.

***6:30 p.m. ***

If anyone else in the wizarding world were to come across the scene in this particular sitting room in Spinner's End, they would swear that they had been Confunded.

As one bespectacled little black haired boy, hopped around the room on his hands and knees after a rabbit, three fully grown wizards sat on the floor with their shirt sleeves rolled up, playing a cutthroat game of Gobstones. The emerald drapes that hung over the glass French doors that led to the back garden were drawn open to allow in the autumn sunlight.

Severus had intended to teach Harry stratagem in the game, but now Lucy's rabbit had begun to respond to Harry's overtures to play, the boy had no interest in Gobstones. Aberforth and Remus tried to help Severus persuade Harry that learning the ins and outs of the game was a worthwhile endeavour, but it only led to the three 'adults' regressing back into their own childhoods.

Severus was truly ruthless at the game. The men were playing Jack Stones. Aberforth had already conceded this round, knowing a suicide mission when he saw one. Remus Lupin wasn't quite as adept at recognising a lost cause. To be frank, Remus Lupin couldn't recognise much of anything at the moment, as Severus' consistent and deadly aim had nearly blinded the sandy haired werewolf. Severus had to silently admit to himself, he was having fun.

Perhaps it was the Blood Wards that now centred around the small house, but since he Severus moved Harry in nearly eighteen months ago, the place had begun to feel more like an actual home than it ever had. Severus was grateful for Remus' intervention that allowed him to set up his household in Manchester again.

For this one evening, Lupin would be sleeping on the couch and Severus would be sleeping on a transfigured bed in his room. Severus needed an early start the next day, as he was moving more of his and Harry's personal effects from their quarters at Hogwarts back into their home. There was no telling how long Black would be free.

When Severus stepped out of the Floo after he had finished his school day, he had with him Harry's broom and a few personal posts for Lucy that had been delivered to the school. He found Lucy lying in bed reading one of his old potions manuals. Harry was lying on the floor, drawing a picture of Thor.

Severus had been glad to see her awake, even if she still looked very drawn. Lucy had told him that she was awaiting his return before she napped.

Severus gave Lucy her posts, the contents of both went far to ease Lucy's disposition. The first post, (which upon hearing the contents, Severus was thankful he was in the witch's good graces) was from Lucy's friend in New Orleans, telling Lucy she would have her voodoo doll after the next full moon. He couldn't believe that Lucy had actually ordered the doll. Severus privately thought that Musgrave had better hold onto his bollocks for dear life.

The second post also pertained to Musgrave and had astonished Lucy and Severus alike. Musgrave's trial had been cancelled. Ostensibly, he confessed to his crime in exchange for a reduced sentence. He would serve eighteen months as opposed to the three to five years he would have faced if found guilty of attempted infanticide. Lucy would have rather seen the bastard fed to Dementors, but she was gladdened that at least this drama had come to a close.

That had been over two hours ago. Severus had taken Harry downstairs so Lucy could rest once again.

Severus was leaning in with his favourite Lutz, ready to knock Lupin's Taw into next week, when he heard the floorboards above their heads groan. Every man in the room stopped what they were doing and lifted their heads towards the ceiling. Severus dropped his Gobstone in his shirt pocket and easily arose from the floor. He excused himself to his guests and ascended the stairs to check on Lucy.

Upon reaching the landing, he noticed the light escaping under the door of the lavatory and into the dark corridor. He heard the pan flush and the water began to run in the wash basin as he approached the door.

He tapped twice on the door. "Lucy, are you…"

Lucy opened the door wide. She stood before Severus with his overly large blue housecoat wrapped around her. "I'm fine," she said with a huff. "It's getting to where a girl can't tinkle without some guy wanting to hold her hand." Severus stepped aside and raised an eyebrow as Lucy moved past him and stalked into his room.

Lucy plopped herself down on the foot of Severus' bed. Her arms were folded across her chest and she was clearly pouting.

Severus stood before her with his own arms crossed, "It was a legitimate question, Lucy. And I assure you, I had no intention of coming up here to hold your hand whilst you 'tinkled'." The twitching in the corner of his mouth gave away that he was not as irritated as he may have sounded.

He took pity on his forlorn witch and took a seat next to Lucy on the bed. "I was under the impression that you were relieved that Musgrave had confessed and saved you from having to endure the rigors of a trial."

Lucy snorted though her weariness and placed Severus' hand on her flannel covered thigh. "I'm sorry, Darling. I didn't mean to snap. I know it's only been twenty-four hours, but can you believe that I'm already sick and tired of feeling sick and tired?"

Severus edged himself closer to Lucy until their sides were pressed against one another. He then planted a kiss on the top of her head. "Trust me, My Love, if I was in your situation and my hormones were flitting about like a snitch in a cyclone, my deportment would not be half so agreeable as yours."

Lucy chortled and allowed herself to slowly fall into Severus and she settled her head in his lap then rested her hands on her womb. "You know what I would give my wand hand for right now, Severus?" Lucy said as she heavily exhaled.

Severus did not ask, but only rested his hands in Lucy's. He knew Lucy would answer her own question.

"A bath. What I wouldn't give for a long, hot, bubble bath right now," Lucy said dreamily.

"Unfortunately, I don't have a bathtub in this house," Severus said as he began to rub Lucy's belly with one hand as the other vainly attempted to smooth out her matted hair. "I'm afraid the best I have to offer you is a shower."

Lucy gave a resigned sigh. "I suppose that will have to do. I couldn't take a bubble bath even if you did."


After making sure that Lucy had everything she needed for her ablutions, Severus rejoined the others belowstairs. He and Lupin recommenced their game whilst Aberforth made himself at home, and was at present, in the kitchen preparing supper.

Harry was quietly observing Severus and Lupin engage in their latest battle. He sat cross-legged in the floor petting Lucy's rabbit which was contently lying in the boy's lap and munching on a piece of broccoli. Harry now had the official duty of keeping the bunny occupied, as it had already hopped off with the jack stone twice.

"Augh! Damn it, Severus!" Remus cried out as he attempted to wipe the stinging goo from his eyes. "Must you always go for the eyes?"

"Oooh, Mr. Lupin. You're not supposed to be saying those kind of words," Harry admonished.

"Yes-we must watch our language, Lupin." Severus said with a superior smirk. "And is it my fault that your mind is as slow as a tortoise stomping through peanut butter? If you don't want an eyeful of slime, simply move."

Remus picked up his own stone tossed it into the air and caught it. His expression was calculating as he continued to do so. He caught the stone once more and wrapped his fingers tight around it. He looked as if he were about to smash the glop filled stone into Severus forehead when Lucy's softly accented voice sounded from above."There's something I'd pay good Galleons to see-full contact Gobstones."

Severus and Remus immediately arose from the floor their faces flushed with embarrassment; realising for the first time how juvenile they actually looked.

Aberforth stood in the kitchen doorway with a potholder in his hands, smiling up at his great granddaughter holding onto the stair rail halfway down the steep flight of stairs. Lucy was wearing a comfortable looking pair of beige lounge slacks that emphasised her protruding belly and an old green jumper she had confiscated from Severus. Her freshly washed hair clung damply to her shoulders.

Severus was already meeting her and offered his arm so she could steady her descent. "Pawpaw? Is that roast beef and Yorkshire pudding I smell? It's not even Sunday," she commented as she took Severus' arm.

"Aye."Aberforth's eyes twinkled over his glasses. "What better way to celebrate a gathering of family and friends."


It was getting late. Everyone was allowing Aberforth's fine supper to digest and once again, all were gathered on the floor, the men engrossed in their Gobstones and Harry and Lucy playing with Thor.

The drapes were still open. Thor was sniffing along the edge of the French doors, when she suddenly stood up on her haunches, her ears were erect and scanning for the source of an unknown sound. The bunny stared into the inky blackness beyond. Lucy moved to pick up her rabbit, aware that something outside had startled the animal. But before Lucy could reach her pet, the bunny took off in a grey flash.

"Hey! Where's she going?" Harry said in alarm as he launched himself in an effort to catch the evasive rabbit.

Thor ran right through the game being played on the floor, causing the stones to eject their smelly liquid and pelting everyone in the immediate vicinity. The grimacing men stared casting cleansing spells on themselves.

"Sorry fellas," Lucy apologised sheepishly. "Most likely she spotted a stoat. Could one of you lift this sofa for me?"

Aberforth and Remus arose to help Lucy catch her bunny. Severus was still wiping goop out of his eyes. They narrowed dangerously, as he too began to stare into the dark garden. It was a quiet sound, but he heard something that was no stoat.

"Lucy, I think it's time for Harry to go to bed," he said softly. Severus turned slightly away from the window, but kept his sharp well-developed peripheral vision on the black target he finally spotted.

"Aww, Daddy-It's Friday. Can't I stay up late?" Harry protested.

"Not tonight," Severus said firmly. Aberforth was placing a trembling Thor into Lucy's arms as Remus lowered the sofa back to the floor.

The adults heard the sudden dark change in Severus' voice and looked up. They too, knew there had to be something in the garden hunting something other than rabbit.

Aberforth gave Lucy a transfigured towel she then used to wrap around the trembling animal. "Harry, why don't you come upstairs with me and help me make a warm bed for Thor?," Lucy deftly suggested. "A scare like this could make her sick."

Seeing that Miss Lucy and Thor so obviously needed his help, Harry willingly complied as it was a more grown up task as opposed to going to bed. He led the procession up the stairs as Lucy carefully carried the bunny and her grandfather followed behind, his wand in his hand and hidden in the folds of his kilt.

Severus gave Remus a complicit look. "I think it is time we all retire for the evening," Severus said as he drew the drapes closed.

Severus could see Remus' keen hearing had picked up the same noise that he had. The wolf answered following Severus' lead,"I appreciate your hospitality Severus. I'll be back first thing tomorrow morning."

Continuing with their deception, Severus walked to the Floo and grabbed a handful of Floo powder. He silently indicated to Remus to pick up a throw pillow from the sofa. Showing more intelligence than Severus thought the werewolf had previously possessed, Remus yelled, "Hog's Head!" as Severus tossed the powder into the Floo. The green flames glowed in the room and there was the familiar 'Whoosh' of transport, as Remus tossed in the pillow.

Severus immediately Noxed the house lights.

Severus put a silencing finger to his lips and pointed to Remus to keep down. Severus' heart was pounding in a rush he hadn't felt since he actively began spying for Dumbledore's Order. He was doing an excellent job in keeping his own rising terror in check.

With the absence of indoor lights, Severus could clearly see his garden as he peered out from the edge of his drapes. He felt Lupin's sudden presence behind him, impressed by the man's stealth and grateful for the backup. They could see the form of a large black dog, plastered against the outside wall, close to the French doors and but far enough away to let them two know that the mutt was trying to keep itself in the hidden in the shadows.

Severus did not have the luxury of questioning how Black had managed to breach their final keep.

Steeling himself for action, Severus spun in his spot and in an instant was outside and behind Black.

The dog turned around, startled and thrown off guard. Severus pointed his was wand and uttered a hasty spell and the filthy, emaciated dog was now knelt at his feet in the form of a filthy emaciated man. Before Black could react, Severus grabbed him by the back of his collar and violently threw him against the house.

The murder that flashed in Severus' eyes was every bit as real as the terror in Black's as Severus had Black pinned and his wand pressed hard into the felon's temple. The curse was ready to cross Severus' lips.

"Don't do it, Severus," Remus said determinately as he marched towards the two wizards.

Severus never took his eyes off Black, whose eyes had a momentary spark of hope. "Unless, you want to share Black's fate-you need to shut up!" Severus gritted through his teeth.

Remus was now standing right next to Severus. He jabbed his wand under Black's chin, forcing the wizard to raise his head. Sirius was now truly horrified as he watched his old friends brown eyes turn yellow with rage.

"Harry and Lucy need you too much for you to risk Azkaban with a Killing Curse," Remus growled.

"Let me do it."

The deadly grin on Remus' face as he starred into Black's eyes could have struck fear into the Dark Lord himself.

The End.


This story archived at http://www.potionsandsnitches.org/fanfiction/viewstory.php?sid=2169