Life's Best Laid Plans by missyanne
Summary: When the great granddaughter of Aberforth Dumbledore moves to Britain to be close to her fiancé, and is hired to teach Magical History at Hogwarts, Severus Snape and Lucy O'Conner discover that sometimes fate (or six-year-old Harry) has a way of throwing a wrench into life's best laid plans.
Categories: Parental Snape > Guardian Snape, Parental Snape > Biological Father Snape Main Characters: .Snape and Harry (required), Dumbledore, Arthur, Molly, Original Character, Other, Remus, Sirius
Snape Flavour: None
Genres: Drama, Family
Media Type: None
Tags: Adoption, Child fic
Takes Place: 0 - Pre Hogwarts (before Harry is 11)
Warnings: Romance/Het
Challenges: None
Series: None
Chapters: 42 Completed: Yes Word count: 200456 Read: 219929 Published: 30 May 2010 Updated: 25 Mar 2011
Sticks and Stones May Break My Bones But Words Are Far More Hurtful by missyanne

***15 November 1986***

It was the first snow of the season, much earlier than was usual, and Lucy was grateful Severus would be gone for the bulk of the afternoon. The house at Spinner's End was as raucous as it had ever been. How could it not be, with four high-strung little boys running about the place?

Molly had asked if Lucy could watch Ron and the twins. How could Lucy not agree after all Molly and Arthur had done for Severus? Lucy was now fully recovered from the Patronus fiasco; she saw no reason why she could not oblige. After all, she and Severus were already talking of the possibility having two more children. Lucy figured she could use the practice.

Apparently, young Percy had lost his familiar sometime Wednesday afternoon. In the course of scouring the gardens around the Burrow, Percy's literally stumbled upon a rather deep Gnome hole. Now, not only was Percy's rat gone, but he also had a torn Achilles' Tendon for his trouble.

Unfortunately, for the boy, torn ligaments were not as easily healed as broken bones.

Molly and Arthur needed to take Percy back to St. Mungo's for a follow up and their usual back-up babysitter; Molly's Aunt Muriel, wasn't available. They took little Ginny with them because Severus' home would be crowded enough with four rambunctious boys and it most certainly wasn't toddler-proofed.

Alf had accompanied Severus to Grimmauld Place. They were about to give Sirius Black the news that the adoption had gone through. Lucy was surprised late Thursday morning when Severus came running through the house shouting out her name...

"Lucy...Lucy!"

Lucy opened the door to the WC. She was still drying her hands. "Severus...I'm up here." Lucy heard Severus bound up the stairs, he was taking two or three at a time. She Vanished the towel out of her hands just as Severus came running towards her. He had a post in his hands. It looked like a Muggle post. Something of importance had happened. It wasn't even lunchtime at Hogwarts. She had never seen him like this. He looked...ecstatic.

"Severus? What's going on?"

Severus had been running so fast, he almost ran past her. He grabbed her shoulders and nearly spun her in place.

"He's mine, Lucy. Harry's mine!"

"What?" Lucy took the letter from Severus' shaking hand. It was official and from the Muggle courts. Mister Singh had been as good as his word; he managed to get Severus' case pushed through quickly.

"I go with Harry tomorrow and to sign the papers before the magistrate. I was hoping you and Arthur Weasley would sign as witnesses."

She looked up at Severus to see that his eyes were shining with unshed tears of joy. With the letter still in her hand she reached up and pulled Severus' flushed face to her and gave him a quick kiss. "Of course I'll sign! I'm so happy for you both, Severus," she said joyously.

Lucy then looked to the stairs, as if looking beyond to the Floo, "Severus, aren't you supposed to be in class?"

Severus put his arm around her waist and he led her down the stairs. "I dismissed my remaining morning lessons," Severus explained. "The special delivery owl flew into my classroom right in the middle of my third year Slytherins and Gryffindors. Not even I could get the dunderheads to pay attention after that."

"Ha!" Lucy tossed back her head and scoffed. "Did you even try?"

"No," Severus unashamedly admitted. "But I had to tell you."

They were now standing before the Floo. Severus turned and took both of Lucy's hands in his. He looked at the Floo and then at Lucy. "Do you think you can travel?"

"I think so," Lucy answered. "You want to tell Harry," it wasn't a question.

Severus smiled as he turned and pointed his wand towards the bedroom upstairs and summoned Lucy's cloak. Lucy knew him so well. She could see in his eyes that she was right.

Lucy turned so Severus could put her cloak over her shoulders then turned back to face Severus, "Come on, Daddy. Let's go tell your son the good news."

Harry was now officially Severus' son. The Ministry could not touch Harry, Sirius Black could not touch Harry, and for that matter neither could Uncle Albus. Harry now had a father that would make certain the boy would have a normal life. Whoever Severus' lawyer solicitor was, he was good. The news of the adoption had yet to make it to the media. It would only be a matter of time though. Even the rankest amateur journalist from the Prophet scoured the Muggle newspapers for sensational stories. Severus had decided and Lucy had concurred that tomorrow, Severus and Uncle Albus would place a series of even stronger wards around the house to ensure any journalists or curious onlookers would not find the home.

Harry was being the happy and normal boy he was by entertaining his friends in his home. The boys had just finished lunch. She bundled the children appropriately for the weather and allowed them an hour to go outside to play in the snow and burn off some of their seemingly relentless engery. It was just cold enough for snow to stick to the ground, but and it was falling steadily and so there was plenty of snow to make a decent snowman.

The children had only been outside for about ten minutes. She would check on them as soon as she was finished setting up their indoor fun for the afternoon. Severus had told her that Fred and George were particularly fond of Potions and a simple potion experiment might prove to be an effective diversion for Molly's two most mischievous children. She was in the kitchen, preparing the ingredients for a little potion experiment that would enable the children to make random animal noises. The twins were a bit put out that Severus would not be personally teaching them the potion, but Lucy promised he would be home before the potion wore off. They would have the opportunity to show off to the Professor then.

The way those two boys practically hero worshiped Severus, Lucy wouldn't be surprised at all to find the twins in Slytherin House come two years time. If those two did end up in the House of the Snake, Severus was going to have his hands full.

From what Severus had told her, there was a low probability that a Weasley would end up anywhere but Gryffindor. The family legacy was too strong and even if they did overcome generations of Gryffindor genetics, the Prewitts and Weasleys were considered 'Blood Traitors.' There would, no doubt be major battles in and out of the school if the status quo was not maintained.

Not that Lucy believed that legacy hog wash, or that Slytherin House was a bastion for the pure-blooded. From what Lucy had read thus far in the Slytherin manuscript, there was very little mention of blood purity. That fact added with the current Head of House being Half-Blood, just reinforced her doubt. If Slytherin was the pure blood fanatic that legend had made him out to be, he would not have allowed his House to be 'polluted' with Muggle blood. Reality did not coincide with the myth.

It was likely that Harry would enter the Snake Den two years later. Ronald would join Harry that year. Lucy had Ronald pegged for Gryffindor or Hufflepuff, Ginny would no doubt be a Lion. Percy was the real mystery to Lucy. He had the Gryffindor legacy behind him, but the boy had brains enough for Ravenclaw and ambition enough for Slytherin. Only time would tell.

Lucy was torn out of her musings when the sound of happy laughter that had been drifting in from the outside ceased. She dropped the empty phial she was cleaning and her blood froze.

That's a child screaming!

"Harry!"

She rushed from the kitchen just as Ron frantically ran through the back door. "Miss Lucy! Fred killed Harry!"

The only consolation Lucy had was she knew that was not true. She could still hear Harry's painful wails and as the twins were crouched down next to the smaller boy, trying to calm him. As she approached, one of the twins, probably Fred was apologising, "I'm sorry, Harry. I didn't know."

Lucy ran out into the snow-covered garden. Harry was curled into a ball, grasping his face and sobbing uncontrollably.

Dear God, is that blood?

Lucy held her belly to maintain her balance as she knelt down next to Harry. She could see the blood oozing from between his fingers where he was protectively covering his right eye; the once pure snow was stained with an alarming amount of crimson droplets.

To the credit of the Weasley boys, they stepped back to give Lucy space to minister to Harry. Fred's face was as white as the falling snow at what he had done. George was trying to console his other half. Ron was standing between them, watching, his little face etched with a mixture of horror and morbidly gleeful curiosity.

Keeping her main focus on her distressed child, Lucy gently tried to remove Harry's blood soaked hands from his face. She was too worried about Harry to think what Severus would say when he came home.

Lucy was panicking inside. She wanted nothing more than to wave her wand and make it all go away, but not even magic was that simple. She needed to calm herself, or she would never be any good to Harry. She thought back to when she was a little girl and all of the hurts her mama had made right. What would Mama say and do when Lucy or her brothers or sister were hurt or in pain?

"Harry," Lucy managed to say with only a slight shake of her voice, despite the fact her heart was dying inside. By the sound of Harry's wails, he was obviously in a lot of pain. "Move your hands, baby. Mama needs to see."

Harry's vocal cries seemed to cease immediately, but his little body was still twitching with pent up sobs. He let Lucy move his hands. Lucy audibly gasped when she saw the bloody mess beneath. She wanted to scream in horror. Harry's sweet little face was covered in blood. But she just kept reminding herself she needed to remain calm for Harry's sake.

The right lens in Harry's glasses was smashed. The damage was such that a simple Reparo would not be sufficient to mend the lens. She gingerly removed the boy's glasses so she could better assess the damage to his face. Though Harry's face looked like he had been seriously injured, upon closer inspection, the wounds looked to be superficial, but nonetheless painful. There was a deep of a gash at the outside corner of his eye that would require mending. She could take care of those wounds herself. He mother was a medi-witch after all, and with three brothers, Lucy had learned quite a few first aid spells over the years. But she needed to make sure Harry had no glass in his eyes. If that was the case, it would beyond her basic skills and require a trip to the hospital.

"What happened?" she asked the twins without taking her eyes off Harry.

"We were having a snowball fight," said a scared voice that belonged to either Fred or George. "When Fred scooped up his snow, he didn't feel the rock through his gloves," George volunteered after a minute moment of panicked silence.

Indeed, lying on the ground beside Harry was a naked stone about the size of a quarter, small enough not to be felt through thick gloves when mixed with snow, yet large enough to cause serious damage if hurled at a high enough velocity.

Lucy looked into Harry's watery eyes. His pupils looked normal, thank God, she decided it was safe to move him indoors. They all needed to get out of the cold. Lucy said firmly, "Boys, I need you to go inside and sit quietly at the dining table while I check on Harry."

She would not punish the boys. It was, after all, an accident. But she would sit them all down give them a safety lecture. Lucy felt very much like a bad mother at the moment. She would not condemn small boys for having a snowball fight, but she should have told then to beware of any spots with shallow snow. She should have stayed outside with them and watched them like a hawk.

As she put a lightening charm on Harry so she could carry him into the house, she finally wondered to herself what Severus would say. She was a teacher for Merlin's sake; she should be capable of caring for four children without landing her fiancé's son into St. Mungo's.

Lucy reached for Harry and the scared child flung himself around her and encircled his arms around her neck before she had the chance to lift him. Luckily, she had already applied the lightening charm, or his momentum would have knocked her over. He was softly crying as he nuzzled the unhurt side of his face agents against her neck.

She lifted Harry from the ground, staggering only slightly from her altered centre of balance. Lucy reminded herself that she would need to cast a drying spell on the lot of them when they entered the house.

Molly's boys led the procession into the house, and Lucy stifled the hysterical thought that Harry should be lying on a shield with his knights leading the way.

Once inside, the Weasley boys obediently sat at the dining table, uncharacteristically quiet and contrite. Lucy placed her sniffling and snuffling charge gently on the sofa.

First things first, Lucy needed to check for glass in Harry's eyes but she had to calm the boy down. She summoned some supplies she thought she might need from Severus' medicinal stores, Calming Draught, pain reliever, Murtlap wraps, and clean cloths. She checked the potion label to make sure she was giving Harry the correct potion and dosage.

"Baby, drink this for Mama." Lucy still did not realise she was using the moniker. The only thing she focused on was Harry and how thankful she was he complied so readily. His cries almost immediately gave way to soft hiccups then she administered the pain potion and Scourgified the wound. Fresh blood dripped from the gash at the corner of Harry's eye and she gently held a cloth just below the wound to keep the blood in check. She did not want to put pressure directly on the wound until she was sure it was free from debris.

Now she that Harry was breathing calmly and his face was clean, she could get on to the business of checking his eye for glass. "I need everybody to remain still and quiet," Lucy announced. "I am going to make the room dark so I can check Harry's eyes."

"Is it gonna hurt?" The tiny inquiry was the first words out of Harry since he was hurt.

"Not this one, Harry," Lucy assured as she brushed a tear plastered bang away from Harry's eyes. "I'm just going to make your eyes glow in the dark so I can see them better." She heard the three boys at the table mutter 'Wicked.' Harry still looked very scarred, but the comment from the Weasley audience seemed to bring out some of his bravado. He sat up straighter with a little determined line between his brows.

Lucy was worried about the injured eye. It was beginning to swell.

Lucy took her wand, made a swirling motion over her head, and uttered, "Nox Maxima."

There was a chorus of gasps and 'whoa's as the room went as black as pitch. It seemed as if the sun had gone out because what little natural sunlight there was that day was no longer entering through the windows.

Another quick incantation and Harry's eyes began glowing a phosphorescent blue.

"Wow!"

"Boys, don't move from that table," Lucy warned. "Your eyes will not adjust."

"My eyes feel weird." Harry whimpered.

"That's normal, Harry. Do they hurt any worse?"

"Uh uh, but my head hurts."

Lucy sighed in relief as there were no signs of glass in Harry's eyes and his orbital sockets were free of blood. Guiding her wand along Harry's temple, she noticed that the gash was deep. There was a piece of glass imbedded in the wound. That was obviously where the major part of Harry's bleeding had originated. She would need the lights on so she could guide her hands properly to remove the glass.

"Alright boys, everybody close your eyes...eyes closed?" If she suddenly flashed the children's eyes with light after being immersed in such total darkness, she would be treating the whole lot for headaches.

The three chorused, "Yes, ma'am."

Lucy waved her wand and with another incantation, the lights were back on, and the dim autumn sunlight was streaming in the windows once again.

The children blinked as their eyes readjusted to the light.

"That was a brilliant spell, Miss Lucy!"

"Thank you, Ron," she needed to keep the other boys quietly occupied while she continued to work on Harry. Her nerves would not be able to stand Gobstones or Exploding Snap. "Boys, I think Professor Snape has some Muggle board games on that bottom shelf," Lucy pointed to one of Severus' over stuffed bookcases on the other side of the room. "Why don't you pick out something to play while I fix up Harry?" The three red heads ran over to the book self and after a quick deliberation, they decided upon Chinese checkers.

Once Lucy removed the glass from Harry's face, it was a matter of a stitching charm and some Murtlap Essence.

Harry was now leaning against her; the wraps with Murtlap Essence were plastered over the gash on his eye. She also gave him a mild children's pain potion for his headache. His tears had stopped long ago, but it seemed as if he still needed a bit of assurance that he was indeed all right. The brothers had invited Harry over to play with them, but he was not ready to leave Lucy's side. Lucy attributed it to the pain potion making Harry drowsy.

She let out an audible sigh. Severus was going to have to take Harry back to Diagon Alley for new glasses, but at least the boy had no permanent damage done.

As if Harry had read Lucy's mind he quietly asked, "Mummy, is Daddy going to be angry that I broke my glasses?"

Lucy gasped. Mummy. Harry just called her 'Mummy.' Where did that suddenly come from? She had forgotten that in the midst of her own fear, she had referred to herself as 'Mama' without thinking. Lucy only debated for half a second if she should correct Harry, and then thought better of it. 'Mummy' felt right.

"No Harry, it wasn't your fault," she said as she gingerly removed Harry's wrap to see how his wound was healing. It looked good, but it would still need a couple of hours under the wrap to ensure there was no scar.

"Is he going to be angry at Fred?"

"No Harry. It was an accident, but you must be more careful when you're out playing in the snow." She kissed Harry on his forehead, just above his scar. "Would you like to join your friends now?"

"No, I can't see good without my glasses anyway."

"'Well,' Harry. You can't see 'well'. Here..." Lucy summoned a throw pillow from the nearest chair and placed it on her lap. "Why don't you take a nap before Daddy gets home?" She was hoping that Severus would be home soon.

Harry was settling down in on the sofa, ready to but put is head on Lucy's lap, when a nervous and contrite Fred Weasley hesitantly approached. "Harry...I'm really sorry, mate. I didn't know I picked up that rock. I didn't mean to hurt you."

Harry gave his friend a little smile, he sounded content and answered, "That's okay Fred. My mum fixed me up."

Lucy felt her face get warm at Harry's words and Fred gave Harry a knowing grin. "Your mama should be here soon," Lucy told the young ginger as she adjusted the patch over Harry's eye. "Why don't you boys gather your things then you can continue your game while you wait."

"Are you going to tell Mum and Dad?" Ron asked curiously.

George flashed Ron a look that said he would get his once they were back on their home turf. Fred went pale with fear.

"I'll tell them because they will ask what happened to Harry." She reached out with her free hand and took Fred's chin so she could look him in the eye. "But I promise to tell them that it was an accident and you apologised on your own. Okay?"

A look of relief washed over the boy's face as he gave her a little nod.

"Good. Now go get ready for your folks."

***6:18p.m. ***

Severus was overdue. The Weasley's had long since picked up their children and it was well past teatime. She did not know if this was a good sign or a bad sign as to what was happening with Black. Severus probably would not be in the best of moods when he returned but at least Harry was no worse for wear.

She had already had Harry fed, washed and in his pyjamas. He was sporting a new Murtlap patch and his eye was nearly completely healed. Severus never missed supper with her and Harry. Where could he be? Lucy would love to fire-call Grimmauld Place, but the place was warded against intrusion. Alf had escorted Severus and Black had been expecting them both. Lucy was worried and a little bit put off. Why hadn't Severus at least called? Didn't he realise she would be worried? She would not be able to go to sleep until he came home and she had a busy day ahead of her tomorrow. Lucy was going back to Hogwarts to get ready for her first class since she was injured. She decided if Severus wasn't home soon, she would give Uncle Albus a fire-call.

She and Harry were in the kitchen preparing a bowl of vegetables for Thor when Lucy saw the reflection of a spout of green flame on the backsplash. She sighed in relief that Severus was home, but her relief was short lived.

Severus had uncharacteristically stumbled out of the Floo with another wizard attached to his coatail. "Black you imbecile! You could have killed us both!"

Severus had hit the floor along with Black. Lucy instinctively turned around and picked up Harry, holding to her body protectively. She stayed behind the obscurring wall of the kitchen and listened for any sign that Severus might need help.

Harry had buried his head into Lucy's neck and gave a soft whimper. After all of this time, the boy still could not stand to be around people who yelled and the sound of Severus' raised voice must have terrified the boy. As she was trying to decide how to protect Harry if worse came to worse and she would have to enter the fray, the Floo roared again and she heard Alf's voice. "I tried to stop him Severus, but he was too quick."

"I want to see my godson!" Black explained as he extracted himself from atop Severus.

"That little stunt of yours nearly splinched us! We had agreed upon Dumbledore's office tomorrow afternoon, Black!" Severus said bitterly as he took Alf's offered hand and arose from the floor. "I told you I need time to explain to Harry."

"I don't give a shite about what my solicitor said, Snape! I haven't seen my godson in five years and not you or any bloody..."

"Ahem!"

At the sound of Lucy's interruption, the bickering between the wizards ceased and all eyes were turned towards Lucy.

"Gentlemen...," Lucy said sternly, yet evenly enough to keep from upsetting Harry any further. "Please, mind your language and your tones. Little pictures have big ears..."

Severus went to Lucy to check on his distressed son, and Alf physically grabbed Black around the chest to keep him from interfering. Severus reached out to Harry, and Lucy attempted to give the child to his father, but she and Severus both froze as Harry tightened his grip around her neck and refused to let go.

Lucy shifted Harry's weight with one arm supporting the boy's bum and her other hand cradling his head, rocked in place and cooed softly in Harry's ear. She looked to Severus to apologise but was rendered silent by the look on his face. She could swear it was a mixture of hurt and anger.

Harry shifted his head to look at his daddy, and Severus spotted the Murtlap wrap.

"What happened?" he asked under his breath sotto voce, his tone coldly furious even as he did not raise his voice. Lucy looked at him in shock. Severus had never spoken to her like that before. He most certainly had never looked at her that way. It seemed as if his eyes were boring into her and his heavy breathing indicated he was trying very hard to keep his temper under control.

"The boys were playing in the yard," Lucy said almost too defensively. "Fred Weasley had..."

"Is this your idea of taking good care of Harry, Snape?" Black accused as he pointed a hand in Lucy's direction. "How can I be sure that she didn't...?"

"That's enough, Sirius!" Alf warned under his breath. "Lucy has done nothing to hurt Harry and you're scarring the boy."

Lucy noticed that Black's face immediately softened and he actually apologised. "I'm sorry, Lu...Dr. O'Conner. I haven't been thinking straight lately and I certainly did not intend to scare Harry." Black gave a nervous little cough, "Sorry."

Lucy looked at Severus, he was still looking at Lucy and Harry but his face was expressionless. Why wasn't he outraged on her behalf? Alf had come to Lucy's defence before Black could finish his statement.

"Snape? Do you mind if I meet Harry?" Black's words were strained, but Lucy could tell the man was trying to make an attempt at civility for Harry's sake.

Severus remained silent, with his back to Black. Lucy gave Severus a questioning look, to which Severus nodded his reluctant approval.

Lucy then brought Harry's face up to meet hers. "Harry? Would you like to meet your godfather?" she gently asked."

Harry looked at Black and then back to Lucy, "He's not going to yell at me, is he?"

Severus and Black both stiffened at the comment. Lucy thought bitterly that they had both better feel guilty for the little scene they caused in front of the boy.

"No, he won't." Lucy promised as she gave a warning glance to Black.

Harry looked at his godfather. He looked as though he were contemplating the dejected looking man. Lucy thought at least Black looked better than he had that first night and he no longer smelled of rotten garbage and wet dog. He was still pale and gaunt, but he had pulled his unruly hair, which was longer than Severus', back into an untidy ponytail. Lucy could tell that he had once been a very handsome man, and probably would be again once he had a few more regular meals and a lot less stress.

After a moment of consideration, Harry looked to his daddy for permission. Remaining silent, Severus once again, only nodded his approval. Lucy gingerly removed Harry's Murtlap patch and breathed a sigh relief to find the wound completely healed. She gently put Harry down and turned him to face Black, who was now sitting in an uncomfortable hunched posture in the wingback chair facing them. Alf took his usual position along the wall as the silent observer who only intervened if he deemed it necessary. Harry looked up to his Daddy and Mummy for reassurance. Seeing that Severus was not going to be much help in the matter, Lucy knelt down to Harry's level and softly said into his ear, "Only if you want to, Baby."

Lucy watched as Harry nodded and determinably plucked up his courage and slowly made his way over to his awaiting godfather.

Black looked terrified. Lucy knew he was nervous because he had blown Harry's first impression of him and everything was riding on this meeting. When Harry stopped in front of Black, Lucy noticed a tear streak down Black's cheek, glistening in the soft light of the fire.

Black gazed at Harry in awe. "You look just like your father...only your eyes are Lily's" He reached out to touch Harry's face but hesitated a when Harry stiffened slightly. When Harry noticed that Black did not intend to hurt him, he relaxed and allowed Black to touch him.

"I know, Daddy told me." Harry looked happily over to Severus. "I even have pictures."

"You do?" Black said in happy surprise.

"Yeah, maybe I can show you sometime. But it's almost bedtime so I can't show you tonight."

"Are you happy with, Sniv...your da-daddy?" Black managed choke out as he looked over Harry's shoulder to a still stoic Severus.

Harry looked over his shoulder and flashed a broad smile at Severus. "Daddy's the best!" The corner of Severus mouth twitched at Harry's adulation. It was the closest reaction he had to an emotional response since Lucy first tried to explain Harry's accident. "He and Mummy take real good care of me. Look...Mummy fixed my eye!"

Lucy blushed with embarrassment, as Black looked slightly confused. Alf put his hand over his mouth to hide his obvious smile. Lucy thought for a split second, she might have seen a flash of something cross Severus' eyes, but it was gone before she was certain of what it was. His face was blank again. She wished he would say something. Thus far, the meeting was going as well as could be hoped. Why was he still angry?

Something happened. Lucy had obviously missed an exchange between Harry and Black as they were now embraced. Black was happily crying a jag into Harry's shoulder.

Lucy glanced over to Severus; his facade was grim and stoic. Lucy had a sinking feeling that she was seeing the 'Old Severus' she had oft heard about for the very first time.

***9:12p.m. ***

Lucy heard Severus' heavy, purposeful steps following her down the stairs. They had just put Harry to bed. Severus had put on a convincing show for Harry after Black had left, but Lucy could see behind his eyes he was seething. Something still had him upset and for the life of her, she could not figure out what it was.

Harry was fine. It couldn't have been that. Severus wanted Lucy to adopt Harry, so it couldn't be Harry calling her 'Mummy'. He should be ecstatic about that...though Severus had yet to comment upon it. Once Black was able to behave himself, the meeting between he and Harry had gone rather well...So...So what was wrong with Severus?

When they reached the bottom of the stairs, she turned to face Severus. He stood as still as a statue as his eyes bore into her once again.

"What happened?"

"Harry already told you all about it," Lucy said, a bit confused that Severus would ask the question again. "The children were having a snowball fight. There was a stone in Fred's snowball. It was an accident. If you're worried about replacing Harry's glasses, Severus, I would be hap..."

Lucy jumped when Severus bellowed, "I don't give a damn about Harry's glasses, Lucy. Where the hell were you?"

"I was in the kitchen getting a project together. The children had only been in the yar...garden... a warded garden, mind you, for maybe fifteen minutes. It's not as though I let them play in the street!"

Lucy and Severus simultaneously cast spells to keep their raised voices from waking Harry. They looked back to one another, both clearly irritated.

"No, but you left four small children to their own devices!"

"Their own dev...? Severus, that doesn't make any sense. The children play outside on their own at the Burrow all the time!"

"That's not the point, Lucy! Harry was hurt when I came home!"

"You are wrong, Mister Man," Lucy said pointedly. "Harry was perfectly fine when you came home. I'm the one who had to face a hurt and panicked child!"

"A situation, I might add, which would not have happened if you would have been monitoring the children properly." Severus spat.

"There is no way to know that, Severus! Had you been there, it probably would have happened right under your nose."

"And what about my nose?"

Now Lucy was really getting irritated. "Damn it, Severus. Now you're just being ridiculous."

"I am not being ridiculous," Severus said defensively. "Lucy, how do you think I feel coming home-with Black in tow, only to find my son had been hurt?"

Lucy's blood froze. "What? What do you mean by that?"

Severus threw his hands up in the air and said in exasperation, "Forget it, Lucy...I've had enough arguing today to last a lifetime...You wouldn't understand."

"What wouldn't I understand, Severus?" Lucy queried icily, her eyes locked on her irate fiancé.

Severus did not answer her, instead he bounded up the stairs and she heard the door to the bedroom door shut a little more forcefully than necessary.

Lucy plopped down on the sofa, feeling weary and dejected. My son. What happened to their family?

Lucy looked towards the top of the stairs, not bothering to wipe away the treacherous tear that ran down her cheek. Did he think that she would not understand how it felt to see her own child hurt? Was she not to be the parent to Harry that Severus was? Lucy felt her heart clutch so tightly, she wondered if she would stop breathing.

Just when Lucy thought Severus could not hurt her anymore than he already had, he stomped back down the stairs. He was in Muggle clothing, black denim jeans, a rust coloured button down shirt, and a brown leather jacket. He had his hair pulled back in a ponytail. Lucy might have thought the look was quite becoming, if she didn't know that he was heading out the door.

"Where are you going?" she asked, trying to hide the panic that was welling in her heart.

"I need to get out," he said dispassionately as he opened the seldom-used front door. "Don't wait up."

Lucy's world collapsed upon her as Severus slammed the door shut on his way out. She cried for nearly an hour clutching her unborn child protectively... and Severus had still not returned. She determinedly made up her mind as to what she would do next. If Severus could not stand to be around her, she most definitely was not going to impose her presence upon him. After all, this was his home; Harry was his son, why should he be forced to leave?

Wiping the tears from her eyes with her shirtsleeve, she slowly ascended the stairs. She hated to wake him, but Lucy desperately needed to talk to the boy whom she still held hope would one day be her son too. She needed to let him know that no matter what happened, she was not abandoning him.

Lucy had no idea what the consequences of her next action would be, but she knew in the state of mind she was in, she could not sleep in the same bed with Severus tonight.

***11:32p.m. ***

Severus sat alone, hidden amongst the shadows of the walled steps that led up to the north porch of the t'owd church. He found something strangely comforting and familure in its skyward-reaching, Gothic architecture. He vaugely remembered the couple times he had attened services there with his nana as a small boy.

After he left the house, Severus walked aimlessly and before long he found himself on the cobbled stone streets of Potato Warf. He wasn't far from the river. Did he want to stroll by the old shipping wharves? He hadn't been down by the river since he was a teenager. Deciding he did not need to add to melancholy by reliving his depressing adolescence, nor offend his olfactory senses with the odour of ship petrol and stagnant waist, Severus decided for a change of venue, and for no other reason than a simple whim, he Apparated on to an alleyway in Victoria Street.

The night was overcast and there was neither moonlight nor starlight, however, the yellow streetlamps reflected an eerie amber glow off the snow-covered knoll before him.

He berated himself for unleashing his temper on Lucy. Normally, Severus would not have gone on about a minor accident, but today of all days..., why did it have to happen today?

In reality, Severus was angry with himself, and he felt himself revert to his nasty habit of taking out his self-loathing on the people he loved. It was how he lost Lily and Severus was damned if he was going to lose Lucy in the same fashion. The night had already turned pear-shaped and Severus had to leave before he said something he might truly regret.

The meeting that day with Black was not as bad as Severus expected it to be...it was infinitely worse. When Severus broke the news that he had adopted Harry, the altercation with Black had almost come to fisticuffs, only Remus' intervention had prevented physical blows. Severus had expected that much.

Unsurprisingly, Black had threatened Severus' life and manhood. Severus had remained in control of his emotions, even as he recognised an imminent explosion of temper building in him, something in which Severus had also expected. When his usual intimidation had not worked on Severus, Black the former prisoner, closed off his Floo, set Anti-Disapparition Wards and kept Severus and Remus virtual prisoners in his grim home until the Black family solicitor arrived two hours later. It took another four and a half hours before the ancient wizard could convince Black that Severus' adoption of Harry was legal and ironclad. The only way Black might possibly contest Harry's adoption, was if there were any signs of abuse in the household.

Black had reluctantly admitted defeat. With the solicitor still at hand, Severus had promised Black he would see to it that he could meet Harry in Dumbledore's office the next day. Black had agreed to the terms, but reneged as Severus tossed down the Floo powder. He felt another presence grab the back of his robes and it took all of Severus' formidable skill to maintain his concentration and prevent them both from being killed.

For Severus, the situation turned from bad to worse when he arrived home to find a Murtlap patch plastered over Harry's eye. It was just the type of legal fodder Black would be looking for. If it had been anyone else in the room, Severus' anger would have died with Lucy's simple explanation, but this was Black...of all people!

Why was it, that after all of these years, Severus still felt he had something to prove to Sirius Black? He wanted to prove to the cur that he, Severus Snape, had survived Black's unremitting schoolyard bullying and had come out the better man, but instead Black's worst fears had seemed to be validated.

Without thinking, Severus scooped up a patch of snow and flung it at a young conifer standing in the knoll. His anger dispersed like so many snowflakes that splattered over the branches and fell in a shimmering cascade to the ground.

An epiphany came to him. Severus' anger had nothing to do with Harry being hurt whilst in Lucy's care. Lucy was right; it was nothing more than an accident and Severus could not have handled the situation any better himself. Severus should have thanked her and defended her when Black had insinuated that she had... Severus could not even complete the thought...he was too ashamed. He had accused Lucy of neglect and worse, all because he thought he looked bad in front of Black. How had he allowed himself to lose control?

Severus had only just remembered...he had hidden himself behind his Occlumency during the entire episode of Black's interaction with Harry. He did not wish for Black to see his jealousy. Somewhere deep down, Severus was frightened to the core that Harry would somehow prefer Black over him. It was all Severus could do to keep from snatching Harry away as he willingly embraced his godfather.

Dear Merlin! Harry had called Lucy "Mummy!" dawned his self-deprecating chagrin...and that statement he made about "my son"... He meant nothing by it, only that Black would have seen Harry's injury as somehow Severus' fault. Lucy must be crushed! It was the event that should have solidified them as a family, and not only had not it not even registered in Severus' brain; his words sounded as if he found Lucy unworthy to be Harry's mother!

Severus held his head in shame and wept. He knew he had hurt Lucy and he had no idea as to how he would make it up to her…or, even if he could.

Severus quickly composed himself after spotting two leather clad and dog collared young lovers who had hoped to take advantage of the mild night and the secluded spot. If they circled the church and came back, they would find the spot abandoned. Severus needed to get back to Lucy. True...he had no inkling as to what he would say to her, but he knew "I'm sorry" would be the place to start.

***16 November, 1986-12:11 a.m.***

Severus Apparated into the woods just behind his home so the resounding crack would not reverberate throughout the Muggle neighbourhood. The snow crunched under his feet as he made his way to the front of the house. The door clicked open and for a brief moment, Severus had thought Lucy had gone to bed as he entered to his dark sitting room. The sound of soft breathing coming from the direction of the sofa told him he had been mistaken.

"Lucy?"

"Severus. Good...you're home." He could not see her, but from the uncharacteristically cold tone of her voice, Severus knew something was wrong...very wrong.

Severus stood in the doorway as Lucy came into the faint light that invaded from outside. She had her heavy winter cloak draped over her arm. She stopped long enough to sling her cloak over her shoulders and soldiered her way past Severus and out the door. He turned to her in confusion as she opened the wrought iron gate to the front garden and snapped it shut behind her.

With a feeling of dread, and déjà vu, he asked, "Where are you going?"

She turned to face him. Her eyes were distant. She said in the same clipped tones he had used on her only hours before, "I need to get out," sounding aloof and far off. "Don't wait up."

Severus' world collapsed upon him as the *crack* of her Disapparation echoed in the dark night.

The End.
End Notes:
"t'owd church" is the Mancunian vernacular for the Manchester Cathedral.


This story archived at http://www.potionsandsnitches.org/fanfiction/viewstory.php?sid=2169