Life's Best Laid Plans by missyanne
Summary: When the great granddaughter of Aberforth Dumbledore moves to Britain to be close to her fiancé, and is hired to teach Magical History at Hogwarts, Severus Snape and Lucy O'Conner discover that sometimes fate (or six-year-old Harry) has a way of throwing a wrench into life's best laid plans.
Categories: Parental Snape > Guardian Snape, Parental Snape > Biological Father Snape Main Characters: .Snape and Harry (required), Dumbledore, Arthur, Molly, Original Character, Other, Remus, Sirius
Snape Flavour: None
Genres: Drama, Family
Media Type: None
Tags: Adoption, Child fic
Takes Place: 0 - Pre Hogwarts (before Harry is 11)
Warnings: Romance/Het
Challenges: None
Series: None
Chapters: 42 Completed: Yes Word count: 200456 Read: 219955 Published: 30 May 2010 Updated: 25 Mar 2011
Epilogue by missyanne

***18 May, 1989***

Severus' seventh year double potions class was finishing their clean-up and it was almost time for lunch. He was famished. Today the elves were serving bangers and mash and he really was looking forward to tucking in. At home, Lucy had the family pretty much restricted to her own diet and damn it, as much as Severus touted the virtues of vegetables as much as the next responsible parent, there was only so much rabbit food a man could take.

Thursday afternoons he was usually in a fairly good mood and today was no different. Unlike the lower level classes that consisted of pre-pubescent dunderheads who were either daydreaming or attempting to sabotage their rival House's potions, his N.E.W.T level students were actually in his class because the either wanted or needed to be. The classes were relatively small, consisting of a mix of all Houses. The students were eager to learn the finer arts of his discipline and were serious behind their cauldrons. Every now and again, Severus would even run across a student with a serious passion for the craft. It was these students who made teaching a worthwhile endeavour.

His students were just beginning to settle back down to their work benches and Severus was getting ready to announce their next assignment when his classroom door burst open, the oak door slamming against the stone wall. Every student nearly jumped from their seats. A few who were moderately adept at defence actually had their wands drawn.

The disturbance had not been enough to cause Severus to raise his wand, but it went far to raise his temper. "Mr Wood! You better have a good explanation for this disruption, mister, or you'll find yourself in cleaning lavatories with Mr Filch until the end of term!"

The second-year Gryffindor held-tight to the door knob, bent over and trying to catch his breath. He finally managed to pant, "It's…It's Dr Snape, sir….It's time!"

That was a indeed an adequate explanation. Severus had completely forgotten this was the period Lucy had her second year Gryffindor/Ravenclaws. Had he remembered, he would have put two and two together as soon as the boy burst into his class.

The thought no sooner cleared his head when reality hit. It was time! He knew it would be soon…but he wasn't expecting it right now. Suddenly the air seemed to leave the room and the walls began to spin as his students broke out in thunderous applause and shouts of adulation. As Severus grabbed the corner of the desk to keep from hitting the floor he felt a strong hand suddenly come to his aid. "Sir…are you going to be alright? Do you need a Calming Draught?"

"No. I'll be fine Mr Weasley." Severus said as he righted himself and straightened his robes as he recovered his dignity. Lucy needed him to have all of his faculties right now. "Class dismissed," Severus announced. The room emptied quickly with shouts of congratulations. If word hadn't already spread throughout the school, it would in the next ten minutes. Severus quickly turned to the Head Boy, who was still standing beside him, "Bill…I need you to…"

"Just give me the password to your office and I'll go get him."

"Thank you," Severus said gratefully. He gave the red-headed young man who was practically a godson to him, his password and headed out the door.

Before he made it to the corridor Bill Weasley called out to him, "Oh…Uncle Severus!"

Severus stopped and turned to Bill just as the boy smiled and said, "Congratulations."


"Ungghh!"

"You're doing wonderful, darling. You're almost there…Just a couple more."

"That's easy for you to say." Lucy panted as she leaned towards her mother.

Esther had come from the States to assist in the birth of her latest grandchild, just as she had assisted in the birth of her eldest daughter's children. She and Severus were supporting Lucy on either side of the birthing chair. Lucy allowed herself to sit back and relax for a moment before the next set of contractions hit. She was clad only in a simple white shift that was gathered up above her belly now. It clung to Lucy with her exhaustive sweat. Her hair was pulled back into two long braids and her bangs were plastered on her face. She was beautiful.

"Poppy tell me again, why pain killers are such a bad idea?" Lucy asked, looking down at her mid-wife.

Poppy was knelt in front of Lucy, with her hand on Lucy's abdomen to feel for contractions and her stethoscope in her ear, monitoring the baby's heartbeat. "You're doing fine, Lucy," Poppy assured her. "We've already discussed the side-affects…Oh….here we go again."

"Let me and Severus hold you up, baby," Esther urgently advised Lucy. "You just push, Lucy…Push!"

"Ahh…Ahh...AHHH!"

It was all Severus could do to keep from withdrawing his hand. If Lucy squeezed any harder, she would break it. He marvelled at his mother-in-law who wasn't even flinching under the pain. Severus came to the conclusion that any man who questioned the physical strength of women, never witnessed a natural birth.

"Almost there Lucy. Just one more push."

Severus hadn't thought it possible, but Lucy tightened her grip on his and her mother's hands. With one last herculean effort, she leaned forward and pushed with all her strength. Severus was startled when she called out his name, "Severuuusss!"

"I'm here, darling!"

Just as Lucy leaned back into the chair and laid her head against him, the brief silence was broken with a mighty cry. Still holding Lucy's hand, Severus looked up and Lucy weakly lifted her head from his shoulder.

"You have a little girl," Poppy announced through her joyful tears.

Severus couldn't move. All he could do is stair at the gore-covered bundle protesting in Poppy's hands. They had a girl! A girl!

Esther gave Lucy a kiss on the cheek as she arose to help Poopy clean and swaddle the baby. He placed his hand on Lucy's cheek, gazing at her watery eyes with his own, "You did it Lucy…we have a girl."

Lucy pressed her lips to his palm and said, "I couldn't have done it without you."

Severus swallowed hard and nodded, "And you only threatened my manhood once."

Lucy choked back her laughter and Severus leaned over and kissed her.

"Severus?"

Severus and Lucy looked up to see Esther gazing lovingly and the small pink bundle in her arms. "Would you like to introduce Lucy to your daughter?"

His daughter.

Severus took a sharp breath that he was certain he would never exhale. He turned to Lucy and hesitated, simply because he was unsure as to what to do. Lucy encouraged him to go with a gesture of her chin. Poppy helped Lucy into bed as Esther carefully handed Severus his daughter.

"Watch her head."

Severus was finally able to breathe again when is daughter was finally safe in his arms. He held her as if she was the most precious and fragile jewel in the world, because she was. Before he straightened up, Esther stood on her toes, and planted a kiss on his cheek, "Thank you, son."

Esther went off to make the announcement to the gathering of friends and family waiting outside the hospital and Severus finally had a chance to look at the life he helped to create. The first thing he noticed was her thin feathery-soft raven hair…she had his hair. Her tiny, perfect hands and fingernails were a miracle of nature. He was expecting a little replica of Lucy, only to find himself looking at his mirror image. Was he really such a beautiful baby? She had his long nose…definitely a trait he had never thought of as beautiful before, but on his girl…it was perfection. The one striking feature she had inherited from Lucy was those exquisite turquoise eyes. His girl looked up and studied him too…his eyes and his beard perhaps. He could almost see an old wisdom behind those new eyes. Her tiny lips softly puckered as if she were blowing him tiny kisses. He leaned over and gave his child her first kiss ever. "Welcome to the world, my Imogene."

***17 June, 1989***

The house at Spinner's End had never seen so many people between its walls at once. He had to keep the entrance door open to accommodate the overflow of people. It was a reception following Imogene's christening and the house was bursting at the seams with life.

The ceremony had taken place at the house, with Lucy's brother Daniel once again administering the rights. Naturally Lucy's parents had made the special trip over. Her younger brother, Allen was already staying the summer before he began graduate school the following term at MIT.

Albus and Aberforth were of course there to celebrate the newest addition to their bloodline. It was a special day for Aberforth. It was his first time attending the christening of one of his now ever-increasing number of great-great grandchildren.

The entire Weasley family had shown. The younger children had taken their energy to the back garden along with some children of a few Hogwarts staff members almost all of which had arrived.

And of course Sirius Black and Remus Lupin were there. How could Remus not be, for next to Imogene…he was the Person of the Hour.

Harry sat to the right of Remus on the sofa. To the newly appointed godfather's left, his companion, Gwenog Jones held fast to his arm, and leaned over Remus' shoulder to have a better look at his new god-daughter. Black stood behind the sofa, with his hands upon the shoulders of both his own god son and his best friend. If Black looked any prouder, Severus was certain he would explode.

Remus seemed to be choking on his happiness when he said, "Severus…I don't know how to thank you and Lucy enough for this…I don't…"

Severus quickly interrupted. "It seems the least Lucy and I could do."

"You will be a wonderful godfather, Alf," Lucy added as she knelt before Remus and gently put a hand on the baby's forehead. "You've been like family to the O'Conner's for years. It's just seems right to make it official."

"And you've been…a good friend as well," Severus added hastily. "I had to agree with Lucy. I can think of no one more deserving."

It was fortunate for Severus that Remus was sitting down with his arms full of baby. The man looked as if he would bound up and embrace Severus at any moment. Severus agreeing to Remus Lupin being the godfather of his child said more than any words as to how far Severus had come to making peace with his past.

It took quite of bit of calling in of favours on Albus' part…and Severus suspected some greasing of palms as well, for Remus' lycanthropy to be conveniently overlooked by the Ministry.

"She looks like me and Dad," Harry astutely observed, "except she's a lot prettier."

Severus raised his eyebrow at that. Though Harry was begotten of James Potter, he was every bit as much Severus' son as Imogene was his daughter. But now that Severus thought about it, the boy with his jet-black hair and mannerisms that mimic his own, Harry did seem to resemble Severus more as the years passed.

"Harry, you and your father are both very good looking." Lucy chided good naturedly.

"But we're not pretty, Mum. Men aren't pretty…only girls are."

"Men?" Sirius chuckled. "No need to rush into anything, kiddo."

"Well I am almost nine," Harry defended, "and I'll be getting my Hogwarts letter in only two years."

Two years, Severus mused.

Was it really so little time? Today Severus was the father of two children. It had only been a little less than two years since Severus married Lucy. Two years before that, he had taken in Harry. And two years before that…he had been a lonely and bitter man. A friendless outcast. What monumental changes two short years could make.

Today was a new beginning for his family and the future promised many more new beginnings. Severus could not help but to reflect on the toast Albus gave in honour his younger brother earlier that day…

It is ironic that through the years it is I who has been lauded for the greatness of my accomplishments when the blood of our fore-father's lives through you and your generations. It is no secret that the most powerful magic finds its strength in love. The love that flows through this house and through the hearts of our kin and kind today is because of you, my brother, and is testament all you have accomplished in your life. You are the patriarch of four generations. I cannot conceive of anything greater one man can give to the world?

Severus watched Remus finally give Imogene to Lucy to be fed. Lucy lovingly adjusted Imogene's blanket and Severus listened as Harry boasted how he was going to teach his little sister how to play Quidditch. It then occurred him that he too could possibly one day be a patriarch. The very notion was daunting… the whole idea of a family's pride resting on his shoulders.

Though Severus found it all very humbling and frankly terrifying, he looked forward to what the future had to offer and actually believed he had something important to offer in return. Long ago, he made a promise to do everything within his power to live up to the potential Harry and Lucy saw in him and he strove every day to fulfil that promise. It is a promise he would also make to Imogene.

In Severus' short twenty-nine years on this Earth, he learned many hard lessons…more than many men three times his age. The most important of which, life has more than one plan for us— and it was up to each person as to which path they follow. A person could choose to live their life in bitter resentment…stuck in a dark past, yet fearful of change with no hope for the bright future. Or…they could choose to move forward and clear the way before them…gaining strength by learning from their mistakes and living in joy from new experiences.

Severus had changed his path the day he found Harry. His new path of self-discovery made him realize that even a former Death Eater could find redemption and forgiveness... and was capable of love and worthy of being loved. Eventually that path had led to Lucy and now his daughter.

Severus was no longer doomed to walk his path alone. Perhaps out of all the lessons he could teach his children and grandchildren…his was the most important lesson of all.

The End.
End Notes:
Whew! Well there you go folks. It is DONE! *tear*

Please, let me know what you think and to all of those who have been quietly following along, now is the time to be heard.

Thank you... all of you... who have walked with me through this tale and all of its ups and downs. And especially thank you, Tambra. You know the reasons, and I couldn't adequately express them here if I tried.

Yes, there is a sequel currently in the works. Keep your eyes open for, "Harry Potter-Snape and the Spell Book of Salazar Slytherin."

TTFN
~Missyann


This story archived at http://www.potionsandsnitches.org/fanfiction/viewstory.php?sid=2169