Life's Best Laid Plans by missyanne
Summary: When the great granddaughter of Aberforth Dumbledore moves to Britain to be close to her fiancé, and is hired to teach Magical History at Hogwarts, Severus Snape and Lucy O'Conner discover that sometimes fate (or six-year-old Harry) has a way of throwing a wrench into life's best laid plans.
Categories: Parental Snape > Guardian Snape, Parental Snape > Biological Father Snape Main Characters: .Snape and Harry (required), Dumbledore, Arthur, Molly, Original Character, Other, Remus, Sirius
Snape Flavour: None
Genres: Drama, Family
Media Type: None
Tags: Adoption, Child fic
Takes Place: 0 - Pre Hogwarts (before Harry is 11)
Warnings: Romance/Het
Challenges: None
Series: None
Chapters: 42 Completed: Yes Word count: 200456 Read: 219918 Published: 30 May 2010 Updated: 25 Mar 2011
The Fact's of Life by missyanne
Author's Notes:
A short extension of chapter 4.

***2 September 1986-5:23 p.m. ***

"I take it this was not planned?" said Poppy at Lucy's off colour exclamation.

Lucy did not dignify the obvious with an answer, but she did mutter to herself, "I don't understand how this happened?"

Severus arose. His continence was blank. "Lucy…I am sure by now you realise how…"

"Cut the B.S., Severus…of course I know how. It just doesn't make sense."

Poppy left the room, realising she was about to listen in on a very personal conversation.

"Do you need me to call Poppy back to explain the details…You do realise that there are potions out there to prevent this sort of thing from happening?" Severus could not understand why he felt disappointed in Lucy…he just…did.

"Spare me the lecture, Severus. Of course I'm aware of the potions." Lucy began to pace and chew her fingernails. "It just so happens that I am highly allergic to Queen Anne's Lace. Kenneth was supposed to be taking a male contraceptive potion."

Severus could see her problem. Queen Anne's Lace was the main active ingredient in all female contraceptive potions.

The woman would have had to trust her partner to be responsible enough for the both of them. However, there was another alternative other than negligence or outright malice on Musgrave's part.

"Is it possible that Musgrave put his hands on a poorly prepared batch?"

"No!" she said emphatically, "My father supplied him with his potion…It's virtually impossible that there was a problem with it."

Her father? A Potion's Master? "Your father isn't The Richard O'Conner is he?"

Lucy looked at Severus and rolled her eyes. "Next time I see him I'll ask for some identification…of course he's The Richard O'Conner! Just like the man to have his brain on potions rather than the matter at hand. If you're a good boy I'll introduce you some day."

Severus brushed off her snark and stated the only other explanation. "It is obvious that there was nothing wrong with his potions…so either Musgrave is a complete moron, or it was his intention to do this."

Lucy stopped in her tracks. "I'm inclined to believe it was both."

Severus nodded and he walked over and stood before Lucy and looked into her eyes with a rare compassion. "How this happened is all but a moot point…The real question is what do you intend to do now?"

Lucy clutched her abdomen protectively. She was looking at the floor and studying her feet, perhaps contemplating that in a few short months, she would no longer be able to see them again. "Well…terminating is out of the question. So I suppose that I need to inform Uncle Albus that he'll need a new History teacher after the holidays."

"There is nothing to prevent you from teaching, Lucy." Severus was trying hard to subdue the panic that welled up inside his chest, his disappointment was forgotten. "What of the father?"

"I'll have to tell Kenneth of course, but Severus…I broke up with him and I have no intention of taking him back for the baby's sake."

"Then are you sure it is wise to tell him?" Severus questioned.

"No…but it is within his rights to know…How would you feel if you found out years later that you had a child that was kept secret from you?"

Severus had to give into her on that point. If only Lily had let Severus know years ago that Harry was his godson, the boy would have never had suffered at the hands of the Dursleys.

"I suppose you do have a point," he contended. "But there is still no need for you to leave. I am a single parent as well…it can be done."

Lucy shook her head. "No Severus…Harry is six years old. He's at that stage where he needs to separate off a bit and socialise with children his own age…I will be contending with a newborn," Lucy explained. "I am not about to pawn my baby off to a house elf or a hedge-witch baby sitter…I've always wanted to have a child of my own someday. Granted not so soon nor under these circumstances…The point is I can't do this alone. I need to go back home to my mother."

Severus reached out and ran his fingers through Lucy's long gold hair. He tilted he face towards him and said, "Lucy…do what you feel you must…but I promise you, no matter what you decide, you will not be alone. You have friends."

Severus did not know it, but that was exactly what Lucy needed to hear.

Severus brushed away a treacherous tear that escaped from Lucy's eye. To his surprise, she flung herself at him and embraced him. "Severus…I'm scared."

Slowly, Severus allowed his arms to encircle Lucy. He pulled her tight against his chest and leaned his face into her hair. "I know Lucy…I know."

And he let her cry into his chest until there were no tears left in her.

***2 September 1986~9:07 p.m. ***

"I apologise for imposing upon you like this." said Severus quietly, sitting in one of the Weasley's armchairs as he held the lightly snoring form of his godson in his arms.

"It's no problem at all Severus. Harry's a good boy," Molly said with an edge of concern in her voice. "I just can't help but be worried for the poor girl… her difficulties are just beginning."

"You say the father is a diplomat?" queried Arthur Weasley from his armchair. He had been listening in on the conversation between the Potion's Master and his wife.

Severus took a sip from his glass of brandy Arthur had given him earlier. "Magical Attaché."

"Your friend needs to tread lightly then," Arthur gravely informed. "From his position, Musgrave can cause her grief from either side of the pond…and from what Molly has told me about what Lucy has said, this man could possibly cause some problems for you and Harry as well."

"My claim to Harry is more than on paper," said Severus picking up on Arthur's insinuation. "Harry and I are connected through Lily's blood. No one can take him from me." He held a little tighter to Harry without realising it.

Harry stirred and mumbled. "Go back to sleep, Harry," Severus whispered softly in the boy's ear. Severus could just barely make out the word 'Daddy' before Harry settled back down, dozing quietly again.

"My concern is how Harry will take the news that she will be leaving. He has become quite attached to Lucy." Severus voiced wavered a little. His heart sank a little at the thought of giving Harry the news.

"I'm sure he will not be the only one to miss her," Molly said knowingly.

Severus cleared his throat. "Of course Albus and Aberforth will be heartbroken. Aberforth has yet to see one of his great-great grandchildren," he said quickly.

"Of course that's it," Molly agreed. But she gave a humorous look at Severus.

Severus suddenly felt that this conversation was about to turn into a direction that he did not want to go. "I think it is time for me to get Harry back home." He carefully arose from the chair, his arms full of sleeping little boy.

"Oh Severus…before you leave…," Molly grabbed Harry's glasses from the side table and handed them to Severus. He pocketed them in his frockcoat. "And one more thing…," she flicked her wand and a thin book floated out from the top of the book shelf. "You may find this handy." She handed the book to Severus.

He took the book and raised his eyes brows practically forming question marks. The title read Where Do Babies Come From?.

"Severus…I have seven children myself," explained Molly. "Trust me when I tell you that the question will come up…This book explains things in terms that wee ones will understand."

Arthur came over and patted Severus on the back, making no effort to hide his amusement over the look of terror that crossed Severus' face. "I just gave Charlie the revised addition," said Arthur. "You think it's going to be tough now…"

"Your words of encouragement overwhelm me," said Severus, dryly.

Molly took the book from Severus, shrank it and placed it in his front pocket and patted his chest. "Floo me if you have any questions," Molly offered.

"I do understand how these things happen, you know."

"Understanding them and explaining them to a six year old boy are two totally different animals," Molly said as she offered Severus the jar of Floo powder.

"Until tomorrow morning," Severus inclined his head as he announced his leave. He did not wish to continue with this conversation. He grabbed a handful of Floo powder and called for his chamber at Hogwarts.

***2 September 1986~7:47p.m. ***

"Would you like some tea, dearheart?"

Lucy gave a soft chuckle. "Why do Brits think tea fixes everything?"

"Because it does," insisted Aberforth as he poured out.

"Muggles say the same thing about duct tape."

"Duck Tape?"

"Never mind…just pour the tea Pawpaw." Lucy said, resigned.

Aberforth gave her the cup. "Well I suppose this is a right fine mess…Do you know what you're goin' to do?"

Lucy shrugged, "Go home I suppose…I make enough from my book royalties that I can stay at home until the baby is old enough then I can return to teaching."

"You can do that here," Aberforth said. "If you need help, you have me or Albus…even your friend that Snape fellow."

"I appreciate it Pawpaw…what I guess what it comes down to is... I just want Mama," she sighed.

"Have you written her yet?"

"Not yet…," admitted Lucy."I do not know how to tell her."

Aberforth sat down in the chair next to her and took her hand. "You tell her the truth. I know my Esther…she will be there for you…you two are so much alike."

"I'm afraid she and Daddy are going to be disappointed in me," Lucy said, fixing her gaze at a cobweb in the corner.

"I promise you they won't be, love." Aberforth assured her. "I'm not. You're a grown and successful witch. You have nothin' to be ashamed of. If you choose to be a single mother…that's your own affair."

Lucy laughed dryly. "Well it's not as if I have much choice concerning the latter, do I…not many wizards out there my age who would be attracted to a nerdy, temperamental, bookworm with a baby in tow."

"You may find yourself surprised at what a wizard finds attractive."

The End.
End Notes:
I'm sure there's probably a book called "Where do Babies Come From?" out there somewhere. But I am not aware of it.


This story archived at http://www.potionsandsnitches.org/fanfiction/viewstory.php?sid=2169