Life's Best Laid Plans by missyanne
Summary: When the great granddaughter of Aberforth Dumbledore moves to Britain to be close to her fiancé, and is hired to teach Magical History at Hogwarts, Severus Snape and Lucy O'Conner discover that sometimes fate (or six-year-old Harry) has a way of throwing a wrench into life's best laid plans.
Categories: Parental Snape > Guardian Snape, Parental Snape > Biological Father Snape Main Characters: .Snape and Harry (required), Dumbledore, Arthur, Molly, Original Character, Other, Remus, Sirius
Snape Flavour: None
Genres: Drama, Family
Media Type: None
Tags: Adoption, Child fic
Takes Place: 0 - Pre Hogwarts (before Harry is 11)
Warnings: Romance/Het
Challenges: None
Series: None
Chapters: 42 Completed: Yes Word count: 200456 Read: 219921 Published: 30 May 2010 Updated: 25 Mar 2011
Story Notes:

Preface: It is nearly five years after Voldemort's first downfall and the summer before Severus begins his third year teaching at Hogwarts. The year before, Severus discovered that Lily had named him Harry's second godfather, and he has now had custody of Harry for nearly a year. They are adjusting well, and wouldn't change a thing.

As the story unfolds, the circumstances of how Harry and Severus became a family will come to light.

All Recognisable characters and scenarios are the property J.K. Rowling. Lucy, Kenneth and the O'Conners are mine

1. Harry's Crush by missyanne

2. Lucy's Woes by missyanne

3. Kids Do the Darndest Things by missyanne

4. Oh, What Problems the Collywobbles Can Bring by missyanne

5. The Fact's of Life by missyanne

6. The Ravings of a Dung Beetle by missyanne

7. I Fell Out of Love by missyanne

8. Advice from Severus by missyanne

9. Like it Had Been the Most Natural Thing in the World by missyanne

10. An Unimaginable Bastard by missyanne

11. Dating Advice from Fred and George by missyanne

12. Games and Obsessions by missyanne

13. Meet the O'Conners (or Pig in a Pen) by missyanne

14. 'Witchcraft' by missyanne

15. Severus and Lucy by missyanne

16. Changes by missyanne

17. October 31st by missyanne

18. The Spell Book by missyanne

19. The Serious Guy by missyanne

20. One Fine Day Goes to Hell by missyanne

21. "...too" by missyanne

22. At Spinner's End by missyanne

23. An Innocent Man by missyanne

24. Revelations by missyanne

25. Harry Makes a Proposal by missyanne

26. Happier Than Any Fairy Tale, Sweeter Than Any Dream by missyanne

27. Sticks and Stones May Break My Bones But Words Are Far More Hurtful by missyanne

28. Finding Lucy, Losing Harry by missyanne

29. Thank you, Aberforth and Alf by missyanne

30. The Greatest Magic by missyanne

31. Know Thy Enemy by missyanne

32. Failed Quest by missyanne

33. A Night Out by missyanne

34. Christmas in Charleston by missyanne

35. Revenge by missyanne

36. The Rook Takes the Queen by missyanne

37. Grief... and a Letter from Lily by missyanne

38. Life Begins Again by missyanne

39. A Time to Live and a Time to Die by missyanne

40. The Pain of Healing by missyanne

41. Marry Me by missyanne

42. Epilogue by missyanne

Harry's Crush by missyanne

***15 June 1986***

"Daaadyyy…Wake up!" whined little Harry, as he tried to shake his daddy out of his sleep. He was small for his age. Years of neglect at the hands of his Aunt Petunia and her grotesquely obese husband had left the nearly six year old child looking closer to four. It took quite an effort to crawl up on his daddy's huge four poster bed.

Severus reluctantly opened one eye and focused in on the alarm clock. Merlin! It's not even six! he groaned to himself. He turned over to see the normally tiny face of his godson looming large before him. "Harry…go back to bed," said Severus wearily as he buried his face back into his pillow. "We don't need to be up this early."

"But Daddy, I can't wait."

"You are going to have to Harry," Severus said into his pillow. "Your appointment is not until eleven o'clock."

During the past few months, Molly Weasley had been taking care of Harry during the day whilst Severus taught school. She had noticed that Harry's vision was becoming increasingly myopic. A cursed affliction passed down by that cursed James Potter. Severus was taking Harry to be fitted for glasses today. Harry was excited because now he would be able to 'see good', as the child so aptly put it, and be rid of the headaches that had plagued him over the last few months.

Severus turned his head back and opened his eyes to look at Harry. It was obvious that the child was too excited to go back to bed now. Severus had planned to wake Harry around eight o'clock, but by the time he would manage to get the child settled down again, it would be time to wake him right back up. Severus consigned himself to an early start.

"Would you fetch my dressing gown please, Harry," Severus managed to say through his yawn.

"Okay, Daddy," grinned the jubilant nearly six year old as he climbed down from Severus' high bed.

Severus was finally getting used to being called 'Daddy'. Harry had called him by that title ever since the day Severus had swept him away from Lily's horrible Muggle relatives. Severus had tried to explain that he was only Harry's godfather-not his father, but never having a father he could remember, Harry's mind could not discern the difference. So much to Severus' chagrin at the time, he remained 'Daddy.'

Severus swung his legs around the side of bed and stretched out another yawn ran his fingers through his ebony hair. He rubbed his hand across his chin, contemplating the morning growth on his face as Harry's little legs ran to bring his indigo dressing gown.

"Thank you, Harry," said Severus as he slipped on his housecoat. He bent down and picked up his little boy.

"What do you think, Harry," he said as he held Harry in his left arm and rubbed his chin with his right hand. "Should Daddy grow a beard?" He was heading downstairs to the small kitchen to make breakfast.

"Like Uncle Albus?" Harry asked dubiously.

"I should say not," Severus answered scandalised and wishing the Headmaster had not insisted that Harry call him by the fictitious moniker. "I should think markedly shorter and considerably more trim."

Harry tiny hand reached out and rubbed Severus' face up and down against the grain of the hairs, his little face fixed in serious contemplation then pressed his cheek against Severus'. "Nope…too scratchy." Harry proclaimed as he shook his head.

"Really?" So much for that idea. Severus was asking about a beard for its aesthetic merits. Being considerably younger than his colleagues and less than a decade older than some of his students, he thought that a beard might make him appear older and garner a little more respect from his peers. It could be quite irksome working alongside former teachers. Severus was not considering his 'hug-ability'. Apparently, Harry had different priorities.

Severus put Harry down as they approached the kitchen and Harry scrambled into his chair at the table. "We're still going to get ice cream after I get my glasses, aren't we Daddy?" Harry asked eagerly.

"Only if you behave…"Severus said sternly as he began to boil the water for porridge, "Rudely awakening your godfather at 5:45 in the morning does not bode well for your chances."

"I'll be good…I promise," Harry said in all seriousness. Severus knew the child was sincere as he did not wish to risk his chance of receiving a new broom for his birthday. He kept giving Severus 'subtle' hints about how urgently he needed one.

After they had eaten breakfast, Severus helped Harry brush his teeth and dress for the day. He decided that getting an early start would not be so bad after all. Instead of going to Flourish and Blott's and the apothecary place his orders for the new school term after Harry's visit to the optician, they would make those stops early, visit Fortescue's and back home to Spinner's End before two.

Who knows? Perhaps Severus could trick Harry into a nap this afternoon whilst he worked on his latest potion's project.

***14 June 1986***

"Pawpaw…She's positively beautiful."

Aberforth was kneeling down next to a pretty golden haired young woman. Her slightly American Southern accent was not thick, but rather a tad soft and deep. She was sitting crossed legged in the grassy field, unconcerned about ruining her skirt as she smiled widely. She was cradling Aberforth's newest acquisition, a kid born into his herd only the night before.

The young witch was Lucy O'Conner, Aberforth's great granddaughter. She and her mother, Esther, were probably the only two of Aberforth's relations that did not think him completely barmy for his love of goats.

Aberforth was happy to see Lucy, as he always was. She was moving to Britain permanently.

Lucy's father is a Potion's Master at an American wizarding university in Ohio. Despite his blindness, he was one of the world's most respected. Her mother, Aberforth's grandaughter, Esther, was a Medi-witch at the wizard's hospital 'Our Lady of the Seven Seas' in Charleston, South Carolina where the family resides.

It was fortunate that Esther had insisted to her husband, Richard that their five children should get to know their Scottish relatives. So every other summer Esther and her husband would fly their children the Muggle way from the States to Edinburgh to see Aberforth and his wife, Ella. The visits had become even more welcome after Ella died ten years before.

Lucy had just finished her American Doctorate degrees in Magical History and Magical Artefact Recognition and Preservation and had already written three books on the subjects. Lucy was a historian in every sense of the word. She was only twenty-five.

She had just been offered her first tenure at the university where she had been an assistant professor, when her fiancé, Kenneth Musgrave, the British Attaché to the United States for the Department of International Magical Cooperation, had insisted that they set up housekeeping in the Isles.

The wedding was planned for the following summer on the Salisbury Plain. Lucy's great uncle Albus had insisted upon picking up the tab, much to her great-grandfather's irritation.

For the past three months, Lucy had been residing at the lonely house her fiancé had established for them in Sheffield. Missing her constantly travelling betrothed and missing the academic life even more, Lucy had accepted her uncle's offer to teach at Hogwarts' and replace their current, literally dead, History professor.

Aberforth looked at Lucy's turquoise eyes that were so much like his Ellie's. "Aye," said Aberforth."She'll make a fine addition. Sure to have fine kids of her own some day."

Lucy had noticed that the nanny kept eyeing her suspiciously, so she let the baby out of her lap and it trotted off to suckle from its mother. "Here's your young 'un back." She arose and dusted herself off. "No harm done, little mother."

Aberforth and Lucy walked back to the Hog's Head Tavern. "Are you sure you can't stay for supper, child?" Aberforth inquired.

"I'm sorry, Pawpaw, but Kenneth will be home tonight," Lucy said apologetically. "I see so little of him anymore. I simply can't understand why he insisted on living in England. He's in the States far more often than he is here." Aberforth attempted to hide his disappointment, but she took notice nonetheless, stood on her toes and pecked him on the cheek. "I'll be residing in the castle soon. I promise to visit every weekend."

"Don't make promises you don't know you can keep, Little Lucy." Aberforth admonished. "You don't know what kind of a slave driver my brother can be. You may not have the opportunity to visit every weekend."

"Well, Pawpaw, I do promise to try."

"I can accept that. Do you think you can manage to drag your future husband over tomorrow night for supper?"

Stopping outside of the tavern door, Lucy turned and said to her grandfather before Disapparating, "I won't give him a choice. I have to go to Diagon Alley tomorrow to place my orders for texts and pick up my learner materials. How about Kenneth and I show up afterwards for tea?"

"That will do," Aberforth said gruffly. "Until tomorrow afternoon then." He leaned over and embraced his granddaughter.

"See you tomorrow Pawpaw." She stepped back from the embrace and Disapparated back to Sheffield, leaving Aberforth to his goats.

***15 June 1986***

Severus sood at the counter, waiting to pay for for Harry's new glasses. He had made a point to get Harry a rectangular frame rather than those ridiculous circular lenses that made James Potter's face appear rather like a raccoon. As far as Severus was concerned, the less Harry looked like his biological father, the better.

The child was absolutely ecstatic. Severus could tell that the boy was looking at the world clearly for probably the first time in his life.


Eager to look at the clouds, Harry's head tilted skyward as he walked out of the shop without his godfather. He collided into a passing couple and fell smack on his bum.

"Watch where you are going, boy!" A stern silvery blond man with short hair and a moustache barked.

"Kenneth!" Bit back a pretty lady with straw coloured hair to the mean blond man. "Sweetheart, are you alright?" the pretty lady asked Harry with a strange accent.

She knelt down and righted Harry to his feet and dusted him off. "Where's your mama and daddy?" she asked as she looked around.

The tall man was looking at Harry as if he had done something really bad.

But Harry couldn't stop staring at the pretty lady. She had long gold hair and deep blue eyes. They were shaped almost like Uncle Albus' but only greener, which Harry thought was prettier. He wondered if she was angel.

Harry suddenly lost the ability to speak and couldn't answer the lady. He ran back into the shop and grabbed onto his daddy's leg. His daddy patted his head, but never looked down as he continued to speak to the clerk.

The lady saw that Harry had obviously found his father. She turned at her escort and looked like she was upset with him. "Really Kenneth, was there any call speak to him that way? He's a little boy, not a dung beetle."

Harry looked up from where his face was buried in the cloth of Severus' frockcoat. He watched as the pretty lady and the mean man walked into the bookstore.

"Well Harry, are you ready for some ice cream?" His daddy looked down at Harry and asked.

Harry looked to the bookstore. He wanted to see the pretty lady again before she disappeared forever, and that particular desire was overcoming his fear of the mean man and his need for ice cream.

"Can we go back to the bookstore instead, Daddy?"


Severus was perplexed as he stared at his godson. The boy was choosing books over treats? It wasn't as if Severus hadn't already bought Harry several new tomes whilst in the store earlier that morning. But Severus had to admit he would prefer to give another book as a treat for Harry than the sugary ice cream.

Picking Harry up so they would not be separated as they crossed the crowded street, Severus said "Who are you and what have you done with my godson?"

Harry giggled as if Severus really didn't know who he was. "It's me, Daddy… I am Harry," he said insistently.

Severus 'harrumphed' and made way to Flourish and Blott's.

Severus entered the store and held tight to Harry as he navigated his way through the shop. He couldn't understand why the shop was so busy until he realised that it was the first day of book buy-backs for Hogwarts' students. For the life of him, Severus could not understand why anyone would want to sell back their old text books. Why would anyone ever want to rid themselves of knowledge?

He was heading towards the children's section when he heard someone call his name.

"Professor Snape…Professor Snape…this is one of your new colleagues now, darling,"

Severus turned to see the sales wizard addressing a petite, dark blond witch. At least Severus hoped the clerk was addressing the witch. It could turn into an awkward situation if the clerk addressed him as 'darling.'

Standing next to her was a tall roguish looking wizard. He was every bit as blond as a Malfoy, but his jaw was squared rather than angular. He had a moustache, steel blue eyes and his robes where tailored within an inch of their lives which did not really seem to suite him. He looked rather like an Old Mississippi riverboat gambler. The fact that his eyes seemed to look at every man around him with suspicion reinforced the image.

Severus approached the group with Harry still in his arms and noticed that Harry couldn't stop staring at the witch. He would have to talk to Harry later about staring at people, though he could hardly blame the boy. She was rather easy on the eyes. But still, staring was rude and Severus would have to have a word with Harry about politeness.

"Professor Snape…I'd like to introduce Professor O'Conner. She'll be taking the History position at Hogwarts' this fall," the sales wizard told him.

"Professor O'Conner," Severus nodded his head formally. It was about time they replaced Old Binns. One would think the only history that had taken place over the last three hundred years were goblin rebellions.

"Professor Snape... and it's Dr. O'Conner, actually, " she said as she extended her hand to Severus.

Severus gave a customary bow as she said easily, "I look forward to working with you…and please, call me Lucy." She then gestured to her escort who stood at least a foot taller than her. "Professor Snape, this is my fiancé, Kenneth Musgrave."

Severus took note of her obvious regional American accent and was about to introduce Harry and ask where she hailed from when Kenneth shoved his hand towards Severus.

"It is a pleasure to meet you, Professor," said Kenneth with a smile that did not match his eyes. Severus shook the offered hand and noticed that this Musgrave fellow's grip was squeezing hard enough as if to try and break Severus' fingers. Severus returned his grip in kind.

"The pleasure is mine," he said to Lucy more than her fiance. Kenneth broke the handshake first. "You may call me Severus…and this…" Severus turned his hip to face Harry forward, "…is Harry."

Lucy's face lit up as her companion looked rather annoyed.

"Harry…" she said as she extended her hand once more, "I'm so happy to finally meet you properly…I'm sure we'll become great friends."

Severus was wondering where Harry had met this new witch, but he was distracted from asking the question because Harry had suddenly become shy and had buried his face in Severus' shoulder.

"Harry… say 'Hello' to Professor O'Conner and Mr. Musgrave," Severus prompted.

Harry turned his head just enough to peak out at the pretty witch. "Hullo," he squeaked out before he hid his face again.

Severus spoke up for him. "I must apologise…the child isn't normally this shy."

"That's quite alright," Lucy assured. "I'm sure he'll be quite the charmer once the cat gives him back his tongue."

Severus looked at his blushing godson in bewilderment. He could feel the grin form across the child's face as it pressed against his shoulder.

What had gotten into the boy?

The End.
Lucy's Woes by missyanne
Author's Notes:
Lucy will feature predominately in this chapter. I feel it important that you, the reader, get to know her early on. Severus and Harry featured are in this chapter too, but it is mostly dedicated to Lucy. I want you to know her character and motivations and that she is, in fact, very human. She too, like everyone else, has her flaws.

***3 August 1986…11:22 a.m. ***

Lucy sat at the long staff table at Hogwarts with the rest of her new colleagues, desperately trying to give her full attention to Albus' talk of the budget for the upcoming term and the proposed direction of curriculum.

Albus sat at the head of the long teak conference table. On either side of him sat the Heads of Houses, Professors Minerva McGonagall and Pomona Sprout to his right and Professor's Filius Flitwick and Severus to the left. Being the most junior member of the staff, Lucy sat at the farthest right end of the table.

Severus looked down the table to her and gave her a genial nod in acknowledgement of the 'Thank You' note she had sent him for inviting her to Harry's sixth birthday party. She gave a wan smile in return. She was not in the best of humours today.

The fact that Hagrid, the one member of the Hogwarts' staff she actually knew, practically crushed her ribs when he saw Lucy earlier that day after he found out she was going to teach at Hogwarts', did not help matters. Hagrid had not been able to attend Harry's party and missed seeing Lucy there.

As a child, Lucy had only visited the occasional summer. Other than Uncle Albus and the odious Mr. Filch (He truly was odious, for he always smelled of moth balls and stale cat-urine. She was absolutely terrified of the man when she was a child.) Hagrid was the only staff member that resided at Hogwarts year long. Though Lucy knew them by their reputations, she had never actually met the other professor's of Hogwarts and she found them to be rather intimidating. She supposed it was because of their ages.

Lucy was glad her contribution to the day's meeting was over. The senior staff seemed duly impressed with her plans for Hogwarts History Program. The aging Muggle Studies professor, Professor Myers, was crying "Where have you been all my life," because Lucy thought it imperative that to truly understand the history of the wizarding world, students must be aware of the events in Muggle history that affected events in the wizarding world. At least she had made a decent first impression. That was one worry off her mind.

She was planning outings at both wizarding and muggle historic sites and museum trips as well. Reading about history on dry pages was one thing, but to reach out and touch it was a totally different experience. Lucy found it disgraceful that very few Hogwarts students had opted to sit their History N.E.W.T.s over the past decade. She was rather disapointed that she only had five N.E.W.T. students this year. She hoped to change that.

Lucy had made a concession though. When the subjects of the Goblin Rebellions or Hogwarts' History would inevitably arise, she would defer to the old ghost, Professor Binns. The spirit had seemed somewhat at a loss when he learned his services were no longer required and Lucy did take some pity on him, but even more importantly, she did not want to have to deal with a disgruntled ghost in the middle of her lectures.

Lucy schooled her face in a look of sincere interest at what Uncle Albus was saying, and tried not to think on the events of the last few days. It was hard to keep an involved appearance. Uncle Albus himself had a role to play in that. There was no mistaking, she loved Uncle Albus, but wizard had always dressed like Merlin on acid. Normally, she would comment to her Uncle Albus of his taste…or rather, lack of taste…in clothing, but it was not in her to do so today.

Through the pain of having to look upon Uncle Albus' fuchsia and gold robes and her bruised ribs, Lucy had come to question many of her decisions since coming to Britain. She hoped she wouldn't come to regret her decision to teach at Hogwarts as well.

Of one thing Lucy was certain...she would not be renewing her Hogwarts' contract the next year.

She wondered if her old university would offer her tenure back.

***30 July 1986***

"Pardon me?" Lucy wondered if she had heard Kenneth correctly.

"I said I forbid you to go!" he reiterated through his irritation.

She had.

At six foot three, Kenneth stood well over a foot taller than Lucy, but she wasn't about to let that intimidate her as she jabbed her finger into his chest and her other hand fixed on her hip. "Look here…The only person to ever forbid me to do anything was my daddy…and you ain't him, Mister, " she tended to slip into southern colloquialisms and a few very colourful idioms when she was really pissed off.

Kenneth usually found her quite adorable when her ire was up. But today she was bloody serious. Lucy seemed to be argumentative with him as of late. Kenneth was sure there was some guilty reason for it.

She was never this way when they were in the States, and he did not like this new side to his witch. Where was the proper, witty witch that had once only had eyes for him? He was not about to let his fiancé cavort with strange witches and wizards whilst out of his presence if he could help it.

That's why he had bought this out of the way cottage. He definitely was put out when he found out she signed a contract to teach at Hogwarts this year. He the very notion was an offence to him. Certainly she would not take on the ceremonial duties of a diplomat's wife until they were married, but why did she insist upon working in the meantime?

"I am soon to be your husband." Kenneth pointed out.

"And your point being?" she said in warning. Letting Kenneth know that he dare not go down the path he was foolishly about to take. ''I have no idea who pissed in your Wheaties, Kenneth…but I am tired of your attitude towards my colleagues and I'm tired of being cloistered away like a nun or having you stuck to my hip every time I need to go to market…next thing I know, you're going to insist on following me to the WC every time I have to take a piss!"

"Lucy, you're exaggerating." Kenneth said gently as he placed both hands on her shoulders. He smiled down at her as he inwardly wondered what the hell were 'Wheaties'. "I'm only trying to protect you, Darling."

She stepped back from his touch. Kenneth's eye's narrowed at her. She knew he was simply being patronising. "I don't see how attending a six year old boy's birthday party will be detrimental to my health and well being," Lucy said acidly.

"Because he will be there."


"He who? Severus?" They had already had a fight about her colleague before and it was getting old…fast. Kenneth did not approve of the first name familiarity, but then again, she was on a first name basis with most of the staff by now. "He's Harry's godfather. Of course he will be there. Most of the staff will be there… Why do you have a problem with the man? You don't even know him." Lucy said, irritated.

Kenneth attempted to reason, "He was a Death Eater."

He was a spy," Lucy countered. As a historian, she was fully aware of the Trail of Severus Snape and his role in Voldemort's War.

She was also aware of who Harry was before anyone had told her. She caught a quick glimpse of the infamous scar once the child finally mustered up the courage to look up from his godfather's shoulder and speak to her. A six year old child named Harry with a lightning shaped scar on his forehead. It didn't take a genius to figure that one out.

"I don't like the way he looks at you," Kenneth spat.

Lucy was trying to wrap her brain around her fiancé's logic, or rather, lack thereof. "Looks at me how…with both eyes?"

"I see the way he looks at you. I saw they way that shopkeeper was looking at you too. He called you 'darling.' It was indecent… and with me standing right there no less," he said almost accusingly.

Not only was this argument getting old, it was getting ridiculous.

"THAT'S IT!" Lucy literally put her foot down. "I don't know when you became so damned delusional, but it's obvious you have." She had a rushing noise in her head, she was so angry. "I don't care how other men look at me. I'm a grown witch Kenneth. Even if another man were trying to seduce me…I think I'm quite capable of resisting his manly swagger," she added sarcastically.

"But would you?"

Her blood froze.

*SMACK*

She struck him hard across the face. "How dare you!" she spat. "It is not that you don't trust him…you don't trust me. You actually think I did something to purposely to illicit these imaginary responses from men? Do you think I'm some sort of a…a…" she couldn't even finish the sentence.

Tears began to well in Lucy's eyes. Whether they were from anger or sadness, she did not know, but his lack of response spoke volumes.

"I don't want you working at that school with him there," he finally said as he rubbed the sting on his face. The words came out as an order. She could tell that he was tempted to strike back. But she was the niece of Albus Dumbledore, the most influential and powerful wizard in generations. If he so much as found a mark on Lucy, Kenneth knew there would be hell to pay.

"Then you, Mister…have a problem… I'm going to Pawpaw's," Lucy announced through her held back tears right before she Disapparated with no further preamble.


Kenneth looked at the spot his lovely Lucy had just been and his gut clinched with regret. He hated to make her cry, but he knew that women were childish creatures, incapable of resisting a man should he be persistent enough. Maybe if he hadn't come across so cross. Why couldn't she see he was only trying to protect her from herself? And he was sure that Snape character would try to get his hooks into Lucy. What red-blooded man wouldn't? Whaen Snape invited Lucy to the brat's birthday party, Kenneth knew what the wizard had on his mind.

Kenneth walked over to the mantle and picked up their engagement photo. It had only been a few months ago. They were both laughing as they gazed at one another. That had been such a happy day.

His lovely Lucy with a smile sunnier than her hair, and her dancing blue eyes.

Anger welled up inside him. She was heading to Hogwarts, and he was due back in Washington D.C. the next day and he had to leave soon if he was going to make the necessary Floo connections through Iceland and Greenland to get across the Atlantic.

She was there... he was there...and Kenneth was powerless to do anything about it.

He looked at the laughing photograph again. It was mocking him. He let his finger brush against Lucy's face one last time and hurled picture against the wall. As the frame shattered and the shards of glass rang out as the showered the floor.

He growled at himself. He knew he should have put up those damn Anti-Disapparation wards.


"Darlin'…It's going to turn out alright." Aberforth tried to console his inconsolable granddaughter.

Lucy was in one of the upper bedchambers at The Hog's Head Tavern, crying a jag into a pillow. She rose up and flung herself into her grandfather's waiting embrace. "I don't understand it Pawpaw," she sniffed. Her accent was heavier through her tears. "He's like a completely different man…I've never done…I mean I've never given him reason to think that I…"

She was crying because she wanted her Kenneth back. When had he changed and why? She had loved the man, or at least loved the man she thought he was. Now, she wondered if it was all a dream.

"I know child…I know," her Pawpaw said reassuringly as he stroked her hair and rocked her gently in his arms. It almost felt as if she were five again instead of twenty five.

Aberforth didn't show it to Lucy, but he was absolutely livid. That Musgrave son of a bitch had better hope he never finds his way in front of Aberforth's wand. He might only be a tavern keeper, but he was a fair and powerful hand at hexes. He had to be with the dodgy lot that costomed his establishment. How dare that fop accuse his granddaughter of being a wanton woman?

Lucy let herself get lost in the warm comfort of her Pawpaw's embrace. She was trying to recall if there were any signs of this obsessive possessiveness in Kenneth when they were still in the States. Kenneth was simply seeing things that just weren't there.

She had met him at the premier party for the publication of her latest monograph on the evolution of magic and the introduction of Illuminated Manuscripts. It had been just over a year ago.

Lucy would be lying to herself if she said she wasn't taken aback by his startlingly handsome looks and his aristocratic English accent. He had obviously read her book and had a decent, if novice, grasp on the subject.

Of course she accepted when he asked to escort her to the consulate picnic. I hindsight, he did seem as though attached to her by a Sticking Hex. At the time, she thought him merely attentive.

He was intelligent, witty, charming, and laughed easily. But even more important, he made her laugh. A man that could make her laugh…ahhh…that's where her heart would melt. Lucy had a… complex, sense of humour. Not many people could understand some of the situations she would find funny or ironic. Kenneth had picked up on that side of her and seemed to appreciate it.

Lucy was so thrilled to have met Kenneth; she couldn't wait to tell her best friend, Christopher. Chris had been her friend since she was twelve. He was a Squib. Lucy's younger brother, Allen, was also a Squib and she had met Chris at a Squib support group for families.

A new hurt filled Lucy, Chris was like a brother to her and she had always been able to pour her heart and soul out to him. She missed him terribly and knew she would never see him again. She wanted to talk to him now.

Six months previous, he and his partner had a sail boat accident in Charleston Harbor. Their bodies had washed up on a sandbar off Fort Sumter Island. It still didn't make sense to Lucy. Chris was a capable seaman and the day had been fine. How his sloop managed to capsize was still a mystery.

Kenneth had been very sympathetic for her loss, which was more reassuring than the man could know. Kenneth and Chris really hadn't approved very much of each other. The fact that Kenneth had been supportive during her ordeal only proved that his love for her took precedence over his dislike for Chris.

It wasn't too long after that when Kenneth had proposed. Of course now in hindsight, it had been foolish to accept only a few months after meeting him, but the man seemed so perfect, the circumstances made it difficult to refuse and she did not wish to suffer the 'what ifs' if she had.

Yes…it was obvious to Lucy now that Kenneth had seen her as merely a prize to be had. And once he had her, he did everything he could to make sure no one else would posses her.

Aberforth handed Lucy a handkerchief and she wiped her nose. As if he could understand her thoughts he said "Sometimes, you think you know a fellow."

***3 Aug 1986…3:36 p.m.***

"Daddy…can I go outside and fly on my broom?" It was too quiet in the classroom. Severus and Harry had moved back to Hogwarts two days before the boy's birthday and the only diversion the child had since was his birthday party. To the boy's credit, he was quietly reading and colouring at the desk as Severus prepared medicinal potions for the upcoming term.

"It is 'May I go outside,' Harry," Severus corrected. He noticed that Harry was shaking his right foot in an effort to expel his pent up six year old energy. He had to admit, the child had been exceedingly patient. Severus decided that rather than have a six year old dancing around like a Whirling Dervish tonight, he should let him go outside and play for a while.

Unfortunately, Severus did not have time to supervise Harry in his flying today. He was at a critical point with the burn salve and he could not leave it unattended. He supposed he should have let Harry remain at the Weasley's until tea time, but he did not want to stop in the middle of what he was doing to pick the boy before supper and he did not wish to impose on the Weasley's any more than he already had.

"Harry, why don't we ask Mitzy to take you to the courtyard and you can play with your new top?" Severus suggested. Dr. O'Conner...Lucy... had given Harry a marvellous magical whip-top for his birthday.

Though it wasn't his broom, Harry perked up at the suggestion. "Wicked!" he proclaimed as he hopped out of his chair. He had wanted to try out the toy Dr. O'Conner had given him, but Severus would not allow him to play with it in the confines of their quarters.

"Mitzy!" Severus called and a little floppy eared house elf wearing one of Hogwarts' traditional blue and silver tea towels appeared.

"Yes, Potion's Master, Sir?" The Headmaster had insisted that the house elves no longer address the staff as 'Master' or 'Mistress', only 'Sir' or 'Ma'am'.

Severus instructed the elf to retrieve Harry's toy, escort him to the courtyard and generally make sure the boy did not get lost and stayed out of mischief. He knew that Harry was perfectly capable of playing by himself in the garden at home, but Hogwarts was too large and there were parts of the castle that no child should wander into alone.

New toy in hand, Harry made a start to run out of the classroom.

"Harry. No running inside," Severus admonished.

Harry stooped in his tracks "Sorry, Daddy," the boy answered, not actually sounding apologetic, only annoyed that he was caught.

Severus raised his eyebrows in irritation. "Mind your cheek, Harry…and mind Mitzy… just remember to be back by five so you can wash before supper," Severus instructed.

"I will, Daddy," Harry smiled and scurried off with the house elf hopping along beside him.

Watching his godson go off to play, Severus grunted to himself because he knew the boy would probably be running by the time he ascended the stairs out of the dungeon.

Severus bent over his cauldron and grudgingly continued with his work. He was regretting not being able to attend Harry himself. Sometimes, felt he was doing a piss-poor job at being a godfather to Lily's son.

Why must I be stuck in the lab today? Severus' stance shot up as he realised what he was just thinking.

He actually wanted to be somewhere else other than his lab? It shook him how much his priorities had changed over the course of a year. Did he really want to go outside and watch Harry play?

Severus was astonished over how one needy little boy, could so thoroughly wheedle his way into Severus' life…and heart, in so little time.

Severus plunged back into his work with renewed vigour. He may be able to finish the burn salve in time to spend a few minutes out of doors with Harry. Perhaps he would take an afternoon off sometime soon and teach Harry how to fly that new broom of his.


Harry was having a grand time playing as Mitzy sat on the edge of a retainer wall watching him. The little boy was so full of energy even this non-participatory act was exhausting to the she-elf.

Harry thought the new toy was brilliant. After all, Dr. O'Conner had given it to him. Harry was sure from the first time he saw her that she was a nice lady, and he was right.

Dr. O'Conner had given him a magical whip-top. It was even better than the toy snitch Professor McGonagall gave him.

Tied to the long, primary blue wooden stick was a length of leather cord, this was the whip. Harry would wrap the cord around a red mushroom cap shaped top. He would then pull back and sling the whip. The top would fly off into the air and remain suspended as it spun, zipped, and spiralled forth a kaleidoscope of colour. Harry could then run about and catch the top.

Harry couldn't understand why his Muggle relatives hated magic so much. Surely, Dudley never had toys this wonderful.

It took Harry a couple of tries before he got the hang of slinging the top, but once he did, there was no stopping him.

Now that he had his new glasses, he could really see the tiny top. He had already caught it four times.

Harry was being very careful not to play close to the windows like Mitzy told him. So his little heart sank when his top disappeared into an open classroom window.

"Uh...Ohhh," Harry said to himself.

"Little Harry, Sir…," Mitzy squeaked. "I tolds you nots to play close to the windows."

"I wasn't!" Harry defended. "It flew in by itself!"

Harry counted the number of windows from the courtyard entrance to the open window in hope of finding the classroom his top flew into and ran back into the building.

Mitzy panicked as she cried out, "Little Harry Sir…You's godfather says no running insides!" and she ran off after him.


"I really don't see the purpose behind all of these maps?" a chill, ethereal voice queried.

"Of course I'm going to need maps in the classroom," Lucy said through her irritation at the interfering ghost. She was still sore from Hagrid's 'hug' and she was in no mood to deal Professor Binns' criticisms of her classroom changes now.

"This is a History class…There is no place for geography lessons here," the ghost chided.

Lucy had her back to the apparition, trying to decide where to levitate her giant world globe. "How are the children supposed to have a sense of history if they do not have a sense of place?" she countered.

Lucy was sure Binns was about to argue that he had been teaching for over three hundred years and knew better. She turned around to confront him when a colourful object zipped into her class room and through the old spirits head.

The look of offence on Binns' face was priceless, as the magical object seemed obsessed with him and kept zipping in and out of his translucent head.

Lucy couldn't help herself as she burst out laughing at the poor ghost's expense. The colourful lights that kept reflecting off his ectoplasmic form were quite pretty.

"Well…I never!" Binns bellowed as he disappeared through the classroom wall.

"Sorry, Professor!" Lucy called out to the wall through her hysterics. She figured at least she paid for that little piece of bad Karma with the pain shooting through her side, but it was worth it. It was the first time she laughed in days.

Lucy managed to gain her composure when she heard the patter of little feet out in the corridor.

She flicked her wand and stopped the whirling object and plucked it from mid-air.

Recognising the object, the feet in the hallway could only belong to one person.

"It's in here, Harry!" she beckoned.


Harry peaked into the only open door in the hallway and smiled. "Hi, Professor," he said sheepishly.

Pretty Dr. O'Conner stood there with a great smile on her face and her right arm around her middle, and holding something clutch in her fist. Her face was flushed like she had just been laughing.

"Come in, Harry," she said. "I found your top." She extended the hand she had wrapped around her waist and in it was the little red mushroom cap top.

Seeing from her demeanour that he wasn't in trouble Harry entered the room with a nervous Mitzy in tow. She took a chair at one of the back desks and settled herself in.

"I'm sorry Professor," Harry said, "I tried to keep it away from the windows."

"That's alright, Harry…no harm done," she assured him. "And please…call me Miss Lucy. In fact you are just in time…I could use some sound advice."

Harry suddenly felt very important. No grown up had ever asked him to call them by their name before. And nobody had ever asked him for advice before, except Daddy about a scratchy old beard. This sounded a lot more important than that.

"What can I do?" Harry said thoughtfully as he laid his whip and top on a nearby desktop.

"You can help me decide where to put my globe," she said.

Harry didn't know how he missed that thing. It was gigantic. Harry bet he could stand up inside it if it was hallow. It was also probably the neatest thing he had ever seen. It looked just like those pictures of earth his daddy said were taken from outer space. There were even clouds moving about.


"Wicked" Harry said under his breath. He could see Miss Lucy smile at him. Harry moved a little closer to get a better look. His eyes were practically as wide as the frames of his glasses.

"Yes it is Harry," Lucy was heartened by Harry's fascination with the globe. She walked over to the globe and knelt down next to Harry. "This is a very special, very magical globe, Harry."

Harry looked up at her in wonder, "Really?"

"Yes…really." Lucy replied. "With this globe, you can see the present and the past," she explained. "All I have to do is ask a place, date, and time and it will show exactly what was taking place on the Earth exactly then. Would you like to see?"

Speechless, Harry nodded his head. "Step back then," she took Harry's hand and stepped back from the globe.

"How about something simple," she said "Let's say…Hogwarts, right now," Lucy suggested.

"But we're at Hogwarts right now," Harry said dejectedly.

"Ahh…but Harry…you've never seen Hogwarts like this," she said mysteriously, "Watch." Lucy raised her wand and pointed it at the globe as she said, "Hogwarts' School of Witchcraft and Wizardry…presently."

Harry held his breath as the globe slowly turned and stopped when Scotland was facing them. Slowly, the features on the globe vanished and the face of it turned as clear as glass. Inside, a three dimensional image was taking form. It was an overview of Hogwarts' castle and the surrounding environs.

"Wow…" Harry breathed. "Is that how birds look at the world?"

"I'd like to think so, " Lucy admitted. She couldn't help but to gaze at Harry in his wonder. It was moments like this that made her love teaching.

"What's Hagrid doing?" he said, suddenly excited now that he noticed that he could see people moving.

"It looks like he's out at the hippogriff paddock with Professor Kettleburn," Lucy said. "That's why he couldn't make it to your party Harry. There was a baby hippogriff born on your birthday…He said they named it Buckbea…"


"Harry, there you are," Severus Snape was looming in the classroom door way, arms folded, and feeling very put out. "I told you to be back by five."

"I'm sorry, Daddy," Harry said forlornly. He then launched into the story of how his top strayed into Miss Lucy's room and how she asked for help and the magic globe and 'everything.'

Severus looked as though he was out of breath as Harry finished and Lucy looked at him apologetically. "I do apologise, Severus. If I had known Harry's dinner curfew was coming up I would have escorted him to your quarters," she said "As it is…I don't even have my clock up, so Harry couldn't have known what time it was."

Harry looked up at Lucy gratefully.

"That is all well and good…," said Severus a little softer, "But what happened to Mitzy?"

"There she is." Harry pointed to a little desk in the corner, where a tired little house elf laid her head upon the desktop, blissfully asleep.

"MITZY!" bellowed Severus and everybody jumped at once. Severus observed how Lucy grimaced at the sudden movement.

The house elf was fully awake and woefully contrite. "I's sorry Potion's Master, Sir…Mitzy is a bad elf…Mitzy will punish herself…"

"Silence…You will not punish yourself, but we will discuss this matter with the Headmaster later," Severus said ominously. "Now back to the kitchen with you."

The little elf looked as if she would rather punish herself than speak with the Headmaster. But she swore not to punish herself and she popped away.

Severus noticed that Harry was leaning a little into Lucy's robes, not hiding, but definitely looking for protection. Lucy looked down at Harry with a slightly sad look in her eyes then looked accusingly at Severus.

Severus cursed his temper. Although he usually manages to keep it in check around Harry, he let it out when he thought Harry's safety could have been jeopardised. Even so, after an entire year away from his Muggle relatives Harry still cowered at loud voices. Severus still needed to learn to keep his tone in check.

"Harry…I am not angry with you," Severus said gently this time.

Harry answered softly, "I know…I was just afraid Mitzy would hurt herself…She didn't let me do anything bad. I was with Miss Lucy."

"I won't let her hurt herself," Severus assured him. "But she mustn't fall asleep in her duties like that if she does not wish to be presented with clothes…she will be wise to remember that…Now come Harry…it's time to get ready for supper," Severus said as he held out his hand for Harry. He idly wondered how Harry and Lucy managed to be on a first name basis.

"Thank you Miss Lucy for watching me," Harry said as he took Severus' hand.

"Oh…Wait Daddy…We can't go yet!" Harry announced suddenly, pulling so Severus would not leave.

Severus raised his eyebrows and Lucy asked, "Why, Harry, Whatever is the matter?"

"We haven't finished with your globe yet," Harry reminded.

Severus looked at Lucy curiously.

"Harry was going to tell me the best place to put my globe." Lucy explained. "Do you mind if he helps me with it tomorrow, Severus?"

Severus thought if she was willing, this would be a good idea. If Lucy could watch Harry in the morning, he could possibly finish his brewing in time to take Harry flying in the afternoon. "If you are agreeable to it…I don't have a problem with it…I could pick up Harry before lunch."

"Lovely," Lucy said.

"Harry, may I have a hug before you go?" she knelt down with her arms open.

Harry went over and gave Lucy a tight hug and she hitched, "Watch it there tiger," Lucy said breathlessly.

"Harry, sit down for a moment," Severus instructed. "Lucy, are you in pain?"

"It's just some bruised ribs," Lucy said casually. "Hagrid hadn't seen me in nearly five years and he was a bit over zealous with his greeting"

"If you do not mind…I'd like to check your ribs," Severus offered, "I assure you I have no ignoble intentions. My previous carrier has made me a rather fair hand at simple healing, and as the school matron is not yet here..."

"I would definitely sleep better if I wasn't so sore," she admitted.

Severus gestured to the spot in front of him and said, "Come… stand before me. " He kept himself between Lucy and Harry. Although the exam was fully clothed and he would only be touching Lucy's ribs…Severus thought there should be some sense of decorum maintained.

Lucy stood tall before Severus. Well... as tall as five foot one could stand.

Severus reached his hands out to feel her ribs and he stopped. "I'm going to gently squeeze you ribs to feel for any fractures. This may be…uncomfortable," he warned.

"I'm not made of glass," Lucy assured with a raise of her eyebrow.

Severus raised an eyebrow at her retort and gently placed his hands around Lucy's rib cage just under her breasts. He was close enough to her that he could smell a vague fragrance of citrus and lemongrass.

Lucy took a deep intake of breath as he touched her, but Severus wasn't sure if it was from the pain.

Try that he might to ignore it; he felt a tingle of electricity rush through his body as well.

Severus cleared his voice, "You know Hagrid?" he said nervously, looking for a distraction from the intimacy of the touch.

"Are you kidding…He's one of Pawpaw's best customers," Lucy laughed nervously.

"Paw…Paw?"


Harry watched the interaction between his daddy and Miss Lucy. His six year old sensibilities could not articulate it, but somehow he saw something…he didn't know what…but…something.

He looked as his daddy was doing something to see where Miss Lucy was hurt, and Harry listened as they talked to each other.

Harry liked how Daddy and Miss Lucy looked together. He liked how they talked together.

Harry started to develop a plan.

The End.
Kids Do the Darndest Things by missyanne
Author's Notes:
Severus reveals how he gained guardianship of Harry and how he overcame Lily's Blood Wards.

***3 Aug, 1986 8:00 p.m.***

Harry marched in to the sitting room to present himself for inspection before bed. His pyjamas were stuck to his skin with dampness and he left a trail of watery footprints leading from the bathroom to Severus' chair.

"Did you even go near a towel?" Severus asked exasperated as he cast a drying spell over Harry.

"I used a towel," Harry insisted.

"Where you still in the bath?" Severus momentarily removed Harry's glasses and checked behind the boy's ears for any signs of tuber growth. Satisfied that the child at least managed to wash himself adequately (apparently he still hadn't managed the drying part on his own), Severus wiped off Harry's glasses before putting them back on his face.

Harry shook his head, "Of course not, Daddy…you're being silly."

Severus looked affronted. He had been called many things in his lifetime, most of which could not be repeated in front of a six year old child, but Severus could never recall being referred to as 'silly'.

"Continue to call me offensive names and I might forget about tonight's story," Severus warned.

"I didn't call you names," Harry said, ignoring the threat as he went to find a book from the shelf. He padded back over to Severus, with book in hand. "This one," he proclaimed.

Severus feigned an annoyed look and took the book from Harry, "I shouldn't be reading to cheeky little boys," but once he saw which book Harry picked, he would have read it to the child even if he had been angry.

Harry had picked one of the gifts Severus had given him for his birthday, Now We Are Six, by A.A. Milne. Severus was impressed.

Harry was quite the cunning little manipulator. Of course, Severus would never deny him this book. If Harry wasn't sorted into Slytherin when it was his time to start Hogwarts', then the Sorting Hat would need an appointment with a hatter.

Without even asking, Harry climbed up into Severus' lap and settled himself in. Severus looked down and raised an eyebrow at the boy leaning back against his chest and said, "Are we quite comfortable?"

Harry looked up at his daddy and said, "Uh huh…how about you?"

Severus had a little quirk of a smile as he closed his eyes and slightly shook his head.

Despite the fact that he was now a teacher, Severus never liked children much. It was one of life's little ironies that this child, out of all the children in the world, had managed to melt Severus' once ice cold heart. "I am comfortable as well…shall we begin?"

Harry nodded his head and Severus begun, "When I was one, I had just begun…When I was two, I was nearly new…"

"Daddy…," interrupted Harry. "She's really nice…isn't she?"

It took Severus a moment to realise who Harry was talking about. "Who? Miss Lucy…she seems to be, Harry," Severus said, trying to keep his tone uninterested and he returned to the poem. "When I was three, I was hardly me…When I…"

"That was awful nice of you to fix her, Daddy."

"You simply say 'nice' or even 'very nice'…but never 'awful nice', Harry. It is an oxymoron." Severus corrected.

"Okay…It was very nice of you to fix her, Daddy," Harry amended. He looked a bit confused at the word 'oxymoron', but readily shaked it off. "I bet she likes you now," he said confidently.

Severus practically choked on air as he laid the book in his lap. "Harry…I know what you are trying to do…," Severus coughed out, "But you need to get such thoughts out of that scheming little brain of yours right now," Severus warned. "Miss Lucy is betrothed."

"What's 'betrothed'?" Harry asked worriedly as he looked up at Severus.

"That means that she has plans to marry someone."

"Who? Who's she going to marry?"

"You've met her fiancé, Harry…Miss Lucy is going to marry Mr. Musgrave."

"THAT WANKER!" Harry cried, scandalously. He quickly covered his mouth because he knew he just said a bad word.

"Harry Potter! Where did you learn such language?" Severus had his suspicions that Harry learned the word from the incorrigible Weasley twins, and although Severus couldn't help but agree with Harry's assessment of his colleague's choice of mate, Severus could not let the foul language go unnoticed.

Harry whispered, "I don't know?" he kept his hands busy by playing with a stray thread on his pyjama sleeve. Harry knew he shouldn't use such offensive language. But it was obvious he was trying to reason as to what such an agreeable person as Miss Lucy would see in a odious person such as Kenneth Musgrave.

"I gather that I do," Severus said ominously. "And I shall talk to Mrs. Weasley before you go back to The Burrow…Next time I hear you use that sort of language, Harry, you will find that dirty little mouths get washed out with soap…Do I make myself clear, young man?"

Harry nodded contritely, "Yes Sir…But I still don't think Mr. Musgrave is a very nice man."

Inwardly, Severus agreed, but he said, "Be that as it may…I'm sure Miss Lucy knows Mr. Musgrave better than you do…You will keep your opinions to yourself. Do you understand me?"

"Yes Sir."

"Good," Severus said in finality as he picked Harry up and stood him on the floor. "Now…it's getting late and we shall start the poem again tomorrow night," Severus announced as he arose from his chair. "If you are going to spend the morning with the aforementioned Miss Lucy…you need to get to bed." Severus patted Harry on his bum and Harry made way to his bed chamber.

"I'm sorry about saying the bad word, Daddy," Harry said as he looked back to see his daddy following him. "Are you still going to take me out on my broom tomorrow?"

"I will if I manage to finish my brewing and you manage to behave for Miss Lucy," Severus said as he watched Harry enter his room and climb into bed.

"I promise to be good…And I promise not to say anything about Mr. Musgrave," Harry stressed.

Severus removed Harry's glasses and placed them on the nightstand. He then tucked Harry's blanket around his shoulders, leaned over and gave him a gentle kiss on the forehead. "See that you remember that," Severus Noxed the lights and a small globe on Harry's night stand began to glow. Forming within the mist of the globe was the smiling face of Harry's mother, Lily. She would watch over Harry at night, making sure that the nightmares stayed at bay.

"Good night, Harry," he began to shut the door part way.

"Good night, Daddy," said Harry as he stared into the face of Lily...thinking.

***4 August 1986***

Severus approached the History classroom with Harry in hand and he heard familiar voices.

"I must say…I find that rather unexpected."

"Really? You sound a little disappointed, Uncle Albus…I'm not surprised at all…You must admit…it takes quite a bit of ambition to achieve two Doctorate degrees by the age of twenty-five."

Severus and Harry entered the classroom just in time to see Albus Dumbledore take the Sorting Hat off of Lucy's head.

Severus cleared his throat to make their presence known.

Albus turned around and enlightened Severus. "Ah Severus, my boy…How fortuitous that you should arrive at this time…It seems that the Sorting Hat has deemed that Lucy would make a worthy Slytherin."

"It would seem that you're my boss now, Severus," Lucy smiled impishly, seemingly proud of herself that she had irked her Uncle Albus.

Severus was stunned. He had forgotten that Lucy had never attended Hogwarts, of course she would have to be sorted. But Slytherin? That had even surprised Severus.

Harry didn't seem to find it surprising at all. He ran up to Lucy and she leaned over from where she was sitting to receive his congratulations. "Slytherin's the best!" Harry practically sang out "Slytherin has snakes!" Harry said, "Do you like snakes, Miss Lucy?"

"Why Harry, I happen to like snakes very much."

***4 August, 1986, 2:18 p.m.***

Lucy sat on a bench facing the Quidditch Pitch. She had promised Harry that after lunch she would come out and watch him fly.

Presently, Harry and Severus were flying about on their separate brooms. Harry was wearing a little cloak that billowed as he flew. Severus had divested himself of his usual constricting attire and was wearing only a waistcoat over his white linen shirt with his black pants.

Apparently, Severus was giving Harry some last minute instruction before he let the child on his own. Granted, they were only ten feet off the ground, but she could still see apprehension in Severus' face.

Severus landed not five yards from her. He was still looking up at Harry. "Slow down, boy…or you won't set your backside to broom again until you are thirty!"

Lucy scoffed, "I don't think he's going any faster than ten miles an hour, Severus," Lucy observed. "Besides, with that Sticking Charm you cast five minutes ago, I don't think the child's going anywhere."

Severus scoffed back, mostly at himself for being called out. He was also mildly impressed with the witch's power of observation. That charm had been silent and wandless.

Severus had walked over and sat down on the bench with her, making sure to keep a respectable distance. "I don't think I've ever seen someone take to a broom more naturally," Severus admitted. "As much as it makes me happy to see him do so well, I hate to think that he inherited something else from his father besides that mop on his head."

"I take it that you were no fan of James Potter, then," Lucy observed.

Severus gave her a sideways glance that said that she hit the nail on the head.

"If you don't mind my asking, how did you manage to become Harry's godfather," Lucy asked. She was watching Harry practicing his figure eights, as he waved at Severus and Lucy.

"Both hands on your broom, Harry!" Severus called out. Without taking his eyes off his godson, he continued the conversation. "His mother, Lily. We were childhood friends…I was unaware that she had even named me as a godfather until last year."

Lucy had caught an inference. 'A godfather', "I take it there was at least one other godparent named."

Severus momentarily froze, but immediately regained his composure. "Your assumption would be correct…his imbecile of a father had actually named Sirius Black as Harry's primary guardian should anything happen to he and Lily."

Lucy gasped, "Sirius Black! You must be kidding me. Where was Harry until last year?"

"With Lily's even more pathetic Muggle sister," Severus said bitterly. "You have noticed Harry is small for his age."

"Yes…but so am I for that matter."

Severus gave a wry smile. "Unfortunately, Harry's stature is due to nearly four years of neglect at the hands of his muggle relatives," he explained. "They barely fed the child, berated him, and treated him like a house elf. The only room they had even afforded the child was a boot cupboard under the stairs."

"Dear Merlin," Lucy said under her breath. "Have they been reported?"

"No," Severus said with a note of resentment. "Lily's sacrifice to save Harry cast an extraordinarily powerful blood ward. As long as Harry is allowed board at a home in which Lily's blood resides, he cannot be touched by any of the Dark Lord's followers that mean to harm him," Severus explained. "Apparently, Albus believes that we need to keep all options open if I can no longer take care of Harry."

"That sounds like Uncle Albus," said Lucy, "Always justifying the means as long as he achieves his desired outcome."

"I wouldn't be too harsh on Albus," Severus said. "As soon as he saw the opportunity, he removed Harry from the situation."

"Are you related to Lily Potter?"

"In a matter of speaking…She was my Blood Sister…Five more minutes Harry!" Severus announced.

"Your Blood Sister?"

Severus gave a quirky little smile as he recalled, "We were nine…and best friends. She had read about the Blood Brother ritual in a book…Huckleberry Finn or Tom Sawyer, I believe.I remember pointing out to her that she was a girl and she couldn't possibly be my brother. She insisted it didn't matter and kept pressing…After a while, I thought it to be a good idea as well," he said wistfully. "We were nine…how were we to know that we created a truly magical bond."

"Kids do the darnedest things… How did Uncle Albus find out?"

"I told him," Severus said matter-of-factly. "I'm not even sure how the topic made it into conversation, but once Albus knew, he informed me that Lily had named me as a godfather."

"Uncle Albus never bothered to inform you before then?" Lucy asked, barely masking outrage.

"It would not have done any good," Severus pointed out. "If I had not been bonded to Lily by blood, Harry would still be with those awful people…As it was, I had no desire to take on the mantle of fatherhood at the time."

Lucy seemed to find that last statement a little hard to believe. "But you're so good with Harry," she commented. "It's obvious he loves you so."

Severus nervously cleared his throat. "Well…yes…Albus had convinced me to at least meet the child. When I had…I was appalled. Harry did not even have clothes to call his own. He was given the castoffs of his overly obese cousin…I couldn't possibly leave Lily's child there…As it was, the boy had initially mistaken me for his father…coming to rescue him after all that time."

Severus could remember how his heart clinched the first time Harry called him 'Daddy'. If Severus had played his cards differently, perhaps the words would have rang true.

Severus could tell that the witch had sensed he had not told her everything and he was grateful that she had the sensitivity not to pry.

It was almost time for Harry to land. Severus got up and picked up his broom. He was going to guide Harry's landing. Before he took off, he turned to Lucy and asked, "Would you care to join us for tea?"

She shook her head as she arose, "Another time perhaps, I'm having tea with Pawpaw this afternoon."

"I bid you good day, then…and thank you for looking after Harry this morning," Severus said as he straddled his broom.

"Anytime Severus," she waved as she watched him fly off next to Harry.

"Can't I stay up a little longer, Daddy? Please," Harry pleaded.

"No, It is time for tea…and if you stay up too much longer, you're sure to regret it in the morning…Now Harry, to land you need to gently point your broom dow…"

"Oh look, Daddy…an owl!" Harry said excitedly as he pointed behind Severus.

Severus turned and sure enough, a tawny barn owl had landed at the castle entrance in front of Lucy. She had removed a post from its extended foot.

Even from a distance, Severus could see her face fall when she opened the letter. Lucy ran into the castle and out of sight.

The End.
End Notes:
As stated within the chapter, "Now We Are Six" and the story passages used in this chapter, are the property of A.A.Milne.
Oh, What Problems the Collywobbles Can Bring by missyanne
Author's Notes:
Term begins…and Lucy's life is about to become complicated. How will it affect Harry and Severus?

***29 August 1986***

It was unusually quiet in the kitchen at The Burrow. Molly had sent her entire brood outside to be supervised by her eldest children, Bill and Charlie. She wished to be alone with her house guest.

"Here you are dear," Molly passed a red transfer teacup to her young guest.

Lucy reached for the cup; her hand trembled slightly as she took a sip. "Thank you Mrs. Weasley. The tea's lovely," she said as she put the cup back on its saucer and held them both her hands in her lap. "It was very kind of you to invite me." Lucy began to stir her tea, and focused on the swirling liquid.

"You're welcome," said Mrs. Weasley as she took a seat at the table and turned herself towards Lucy, "And please call me Molly," she said as she reached out and patted Lucy's arm. "It must be lonely being so far from home and your man gone for weeks at a time."

"I do miss my family," Lucy admitted, still not looking up from her tea.

Molly looked at the young woman who sat across from her. She had invited Lucy to the Burrow at Severus' suggestion. Molly had not seen her since Harry's birthday party, but according to Severus, the child had taken a fancy to the young lady.

Apparently, Lucy had been in a sort of depression for the last three weeks. Her normally open and gregarious nature had become withdrawn and quiet. Since Lucy would not open up to her colleagues or even her uncle or grandfather, Severus thought it might be wise to adopt a different approach… the 'Mother Figure.'

"But what of your fiancé… Kevin is it?"

Lucy shook her head and released a long sigh as she laid her tea cup on the table. "Kenneth," she corrected. Lucy attention was drawn to the ruckus of children playing out in the garden.

"You know…" began Molly, "Sometimes it helps to talk these things out," she said as she tilted her head, trying to get Lucy to make some sort of eye contact.


Lucy turned and looked at the red headed matron. Molly was about the same age as Lucy's older sister, Theresa. Lucy had suddenly felt the urge for some sisterly advice.

"Well…Molly…" she began hesitantly, "I don't know how to feel…" she turned her head away again, watching the happy children outside.

"'How to feel?' You mean about Kenneth?" Molly inquired.

Lucy nodded, "Yes…He's supposed to be home next week and I…," Lucy couldn't wrap her brain around how she was feeling, because she couldn't understand it."

Molly's eyes indicated she knew exactly what Lucy was thinking, but could not say. "Are you having second thoughts, dear?"

Lucy was grateful that Molly had figured it out on her own. Lucy only nodded the acknowledgment because she could not bring herself to say the words.

"Perhaps it would help if you started at the beginning," Molly suggested.

Lucy took another sip of her tea. Still looking out at the children she said, "It started the night before Harry's birthday party…We had a huge fight."

Molly offered Lucy a scone, "Whatever about…if you don't mind my asking."

Lucy accepted the scone, but left it untouched on the plate. "Harry's party…he did not want me to go…"

Lucy hashed out the details of the fight and how unreasonably jealous Kenneth had been.

"Kenneth has been owling me ever since he reached the States. He wants me to forgive him," explained Lucy.

"Do you forgive him?"

"I don't know if it will matter…I keep telling myself that all couples fight from time to time…but I cannot shake this feeling…"

Molly put down her tea cup and looked at Lucy seriously, "It sounds to me as if your instincts are trying to tell you something…What does your heart tell you, Lucy?"

Lucy knew the answer to that…It was simply hard to admit it. "Well…first of all…he has never really apologised to me…in his letters he simply say that he wishes that I wouldn't be so upset and that I need to understand how he feels...what he is going through."

"How do you think he feels?" Molly asked.

"I think he thinks he loves me…but he does not trust me. He sounds jealous in his letters when he thinks that I have talked to anyone, even my own family."

Molly frowned, "Lucy…your Kenneth sounds like an obsessive man and obsessive men can be dangerous." Molly said worriedly.

Lucy shook her head. "He has never given any indication before that he…"

"But you said yourself that you are having some bad feelings about the man," Molly reminded her. "Your instincts are trying to tell you something that your heart is finding hard to accept."

Lucy sighed again. It was hard coming to terms with the truth of her relationship with Kenneth. She was having epiphanies about her feelings that she had not wanted to acknowledge before, but somehow she felt safe to confess her guilt to Molly without worry of judgment. "The hardest thing for me to face is in some ways Kenneth may be right…not to trust me I mean."

"Why…what have you done, dear?"

"I haven't done anything, " Lucy scoffed, "But how I feel…I've been happier this last month Kenneth has been gone than I have since I first came to Britain. I don't want him to come back," Lucy guiltily admitted.

"And why is that?"

"Because I feel free…I can visit my family…I've made new friends…I'm getting ready to start a job doing what I love…I don't want Kenneth to ruin that for me."

"Then my dear…I think it is obvious what you need to do next."

Lucy put down the scone she just took a bite of and took her last sip of tea.

"Dump the Jerk!" she exclaimed with a new found confidence.

"Precisely," Molly encouraged. "But let me give you a word of advice…do it in a letter, dear."

"That is a little cold, don't you think?"

"Trust me on this Lucy…do not tell him in person," warned Molly. "And whatever you do…do not meet this man alone outside the safety and protection of Hogwarts."

***2 September 1986 ~7:30 a.m.***

Severus looked glanced down the table at his new colleague, feeling both amused and empathetic… the latter being a novel sensation for him.

He was pleased to see that the talk with Molly Weasley had improved the woman's spirits. Severus kept telling himself he was tiring of Harry's bellyaching about how sad Miss Lucy had been lately.

To appease Harry, Severus had confided in Aberforth, Albus and even Minerva, over Harry's concern for Lucy's melancholy. At one point Severus had tried to get Lucy to open up to him. When Severus was finally at his wits end…he thought of Mrs. Weasley.

Whatever the Weasley matriarch had said, it seemed to have worked. Lucy had been in better spirits since her return from The Burrow. But Severus could not but be slightly agitated with Molly. No matter how much he pressed, she would not divulge the topic of her conversation with Lucy. He casually suggested to Harry to make inquiries when he spent the day at The Burrow today.

However, Lucy's demeanour had changed once again, but this time the cause was no mystery. Severus suffered from the same affliction two years ago…'First Dayitus'.

Yes…this morning Lucy's alabaster skin had changed to a lovely shade of chartreuse.

Severus remembered how he too, thought breakfast his had looked and smelled like a Polyjuice Potion gone bad on his first day of teaching.

Before they adjourned for lessons, he would offer her something to ease her collywobbles.

Just then, Lucy suddenly bolted up from her seat next to Albus, and dashed out the staff entrance.

"Lucy?" said Albus as he arose from his seat concerned. The rest of the staff was staring at the doorway Lucy had just exited.

Severus wiped his mouth and laid his napkin on the plate. He arose and placed a hand on Albus' shoulder as he walked past. "I'll see to her, Albus…I'm pretty sure I know what is is the matter."

Severus left out the same way Lucy had, only to find himself shadowed by Albus.

"Go back to your breakfast, Albus. It is only first day nerves…I'll give her something for them," Severus said irritably.

"Lucy is a seasoned professional, Severus…she has taught since she received her first Bachelor's at eighteen. There is no reason for her to be this nervous."

The men approached the women's staff lavatory and Albus entered without hesitation. Severus hesitated outside the door, taken aback with the old man's boldness. What if the poor woman was…indisposed?

Suddenly the door partway opened and a lavender robed hand grabbed Severus arm and pulled him in.

Severus composed himself. Honestly? What was it about extreme old age that allowed one to throw all propriety into the rubbish bin?

Severus was about to launch a volley of insults at his employer when he noticed the reason he was in the ladies room.

Lucy was leaning over the washbasin, rinsing out her mouth and spitting out the water.

"I don't suppose one of you gentlemen have a mint tucked in your robes, do you?" she asked as she splashed her face with cool water.

Albus immediately obliged. "Do you need something from Severus or Madam Pomfrey?"

Lucy popped the mint then took out her wand and conjured a dry flannel from mid-air.

She shook her head "I'll be fine…" she said as she dried her face, "I think I may have eaten something off a couple of days ago."

"What makes you believe that?" Severus asked, looking decidedly uncomfortable standing in the middle of the ladies loo.

"It's comes and goes…ever since yesterday."

"I think a trip to Madam Pomfrey is definitely in order, young lady…I don't wish to be on the receiving side of my brother's wrath should you become ill under my care," admonished Albus.

"If it continues, I'll see her during my lunch break… Now if you gentlemen will excuse me…I'm not about to miss my first day of classes." She Vanished her towel and pushed her way past the invading men and into the corridor.

Severus and Albus looked at each other with raised eyebrows and followed the irritable witch out.

"Lucy." Severus called out.

Lucy stopped and waited impatiently for the men to catch up. "If you don't mind I can give you something for the nausea until you see Madam Pomfrey," Severus offered.

"I can tough it out," she said. "If I am sick…I'd rather not mask the symptoms."

"You may not be able to teach your lessons without it," Severus reasoned.

"Severus is right, child," said Albus, "Take something now and go see Poppy this afternoon…save an old man some worry."

Lucy released a long drawn out breath and stuck out her hands and wiggled her fingers. "Give me another mint," Albus gave her the entire tin. "Alright…I'll take Severus' potion and go see the nurse this afternoon," she grudgingly agreed.

***2 August 1986-4:30 p.m.***

"But I feel perfectly fine, Severus."

"That could be from the effects of the potion," Severus countered Lucy's protest. "Were you not the one this morning who argued about masking symptoms?"

Lucy arose from the chair behind her classroom desk and began to cast the spells to clean her blackboard and tidy her classroom. "Shouldn't you be picking up Harry right now?" she said, trying to change the subject.

"I've already contacted Molly…I told her I'd pick up Harry after I saw you to Poppy. Now unless you intend to have me keep my son waiting all night…I suggest you get your arse down to the hospital now."

If looks could kill, Severus would be on the slab. "That's pretty low, you know," she said. Severus knew her soft spot for Harry and was not ashamed to exploit it.

"Flattery will get you nowhere," said Severus with a mock bow. "Now, after you," he gestured to the door.

"Flattery will get you nowhere," Lucy mocked in a nasal voice as she marched out the door and down to see Poppy.

Severus chuckled as he followed her out. He could definitely identify with the witch. He too, was irritable when suffering from the collywobbles.


Lucy came out from behind the screen fastening the top buttons of her robes. "Will you tell Jack-ass over there that I'm perfectly healthy," Lucy pointed an accusing finger at Severus who was sitting on a bed opposite her.

Poppy looked at Severus and said in all seriousness, "Jack-ass...she is perfectly healthy."

Severus crossed his arms and looked defiantly at the two women before him. "I have done nothing to warrant such abuse…Now if she is perfectly healthy…why hasn't she been able to hold her food down?"

"Let me rephrase that," said Poppy. "There's nothing wrong with her that another seven and a half months will not remedy."

Severus' eyes widened with disbelief.

Lucy plopped down on the closest bed. "You've got to be shitting me."

This definitely wasn't the collywobbles.

The End.
The Fact's of Life by missyanne
Author's Notes:
A short extension of chapter 4.

***2 September 1986-5:23 p.m. ***

"I take it this was not planned?" said Poppy at Lucy's off colour exclamation.

Lucy did not dignify the obvious with an answer, but she did mutter to herself, "I don't understand how this happened?"

Severus arose. His continence was blank. "Lucy…I am sure by now you realise how…"

"Cut the B.S., Severus…of course I know how. It just doesn't make sense."

Poppy left the room, realising she was about to listen in on a very personal conversation.

"Do you need me to call Poppy back to explain the details…You do realise that there are potions out there to prevent this sort of thing from happening?" Severus could not understand why he felt disappointed in Lucy…he just…did.

"Spare me the lecture, Severus. Of course I'm aware of the potions." Lucy began to pace and chew her fingernails. "It just so happens that I am highly allergic to Queen Anne's Lace. Kenneth was supposed to be taking a male contraceptive potion."

Severus could see her problem. Queen Anne's Lace was the main active ingredient in all female contraceptive potions.

The woman would have had to trust her partner to be responsible enough for the both of them. However, there was another alternative other than negligence or outright malice on Musgrave's part.

"Is it possible that Musgrave put his hands on a poorly prepared batch?"

"No!" she said emphatically, "My father supplied him with his potion…It's virtually impossible that there was a problem with it."

Her father? A Potion's Master? "Your father isn't The Richard O'Conner is he?"

Lucy looked at Severus and rolled her eyes. "Next time I see him I'll ask for some identification…of course he's The Richard O'Conner! Just like the man to have his brain on potions rather than the matter at hand. If you're a good boy I'll introduce you some day."

Severus brushed off her snark and stated the only other explanation. "It is obvious that there was nothing wrong with his potions…so either Musgrave is a complete moron, or it was his intention to do this."

Lucy stopped in her tracks. "I'm inclined to believe it was both."

Severus nodded and he walked over and stood before Lucy and looked into her eyes with a rare compassion. "How this happened is all but a moot point…The real question is what do you intend to do now?"

Lucy clutched her abdomen protectively. She was looking at the floor and studying her feet, perhaps contemplating that in a few short months, she would no longer be able to see them again. "Well…terminating is out of the question. So I suppose that I need to inform Uncle Albus that he'll need a new History teacher after the holidays."

"There is nothing to prevent you from teaching, Lucy." Severus was trying hard to subdue the panic that welled up inside his chest, his disappointment was forgotten. "What of the father?"

"I'll have to tell Kenneth of course, but Severus…I broke up with him and I have no intention of taking him back for the baby's sake."

"Then are you sure it is wise to tell him?" Severus questioned.

"No…but it is within his rights to know…How would you feel if you found out years later that you had a child that was kept secret from you?"

Severus had to give into her on that point. If only Lily had let Severus know years ago that Harry was his godson, the boy would have never had suffered at the hands of the Dursleys.

"I suppose you do have a point," he contended. "But there is still no need for you to leave. I am a single parent as well…it can be done."

Lucy shook her head. "No Severus…Harry is six years old. He's at that stage where he needs to separate off a bit and socialise with children his own age…I will be contending with a newborn," Lucy explained. "I am not about to pawn my baby off to a house elf or a hedge-witch baby sitter…I've always wanted to have a child of my own someday. Granted not so soon nor under these circumstances…The point is I can't do this alone. I need to go back home to my mother."

Severus reached out and ran his fingers through Lucy's long gold hair. He tilted he face towards him and said, "Lucy…do what you feel you must…but I promise you, no matter what you decide, you will not be alone. You have friends."

Severus did not know it, but that was exactly what Lucy needed to hear.

Severus brushed away a treacherous tear that escaped from Lucy's eye. To his surprise, she flung herself at him and embraced him. "Severus…I'm scared."

Slowly, Severus allowed his arms to encircle Lucy. He pulled her tight against his chest and leaned his face into her hair. "I know Lucy…I know."

And he let her cry into his chest until there were no tears left in her.

***2 September 1986~9:07 p.m. ***

"I apologise for imposing upon you like this." said Severus quietly, sitting in one of the Weasley's armchairs as he held the lightly snoring form of his godson in his arms.

"It's no problem at all Severus. Harry's a good boy," Molly said with an edge of concern in her voice. "I just can't help but be worried for the poor girl… her difficulties are just beginning."

"You say the father is a diplomat?" queried Arthur Weasley from his armchair. He had been listening in on the conversation between the Potion's Master and his wife.

Severus took a sip from his glass of brandy Arthur had given him earlier. "Magical Attaché."

"Your friend needs to tread lightly then," Arthur gravely informed. "From his position, Musgrave can cause her grief from either side of the pond…and from what Molly has told me about what Lucy has said, this man could possibly cause some problems for you and Harry as well."

"My claim to Harry is more than on paper," said Severus picking up on Arthur's insinuation. "Harry and I are connected through Lily's blood. No one can take him from me." He held a little tighter to Harry without realising it.

Harry stirred and mumbled. "Go back to sleep, Harry," Severus whispered softly in the boy's ear. Severus could just barely make out the word 'Daddy' before Harry settled back down, dozing quietly again.

"My concern is how Harry will take the news that she will be leaving. He has become quite attached to Lucy." Severus voiced wavered a little. His heart sank a little at the thought of giving Harry the news.

"I'm sure he will not be the only one to miss her," Molly said knowingly.

Severus cleared his throat. "Of course Albus and Aberforth will be heartbroken. Aberforth has yet to see one of his great-great grandchildren," he said quickly.

"Of course that's it," Molly agreed. But she gave a humorous look at Severus.

Severus suddenly felt that this conversation was about to turn into a direction that he did not want to go. "I think it is time for me to get Harry back home." He carefully arose from the chair, his arms full of sleeping little boy.

"Oh Severus…before you leave…," Molly grabbed Harry's glasses from the side table and handed them to Severus. He pocketed them in his frockcoat. "And one more thing…," she flicked her wand and a thin book floated out from the top of the book shelf. "You may find this handy." She handed the book to Severus.

He took the book and raised his eyes brows practically forming question marks. The title read Where Do Babies Come From?.

"Severus…I have seven children myself," explained Molly. "Trust me when I tell you that the question will come up…This book explains things in terms that wee ones will understand."

Arthur came over and patted Severus on the back, making no effort to hide his amusement over the look of terror that crossed Severus' face. "I just gave Charlie the revised addition," said Arthur. "You think it's going to be tough now…"

"Your words of encouragement overwhelm me," said Severus, dryly.

Molly took the book from Severus, shrank it and placed it in his front pocket and patted his chest. "Floo me if you have any questions," Molly offered.

"I do understand how these things happen, you know."

"Understanding them and explaining them to a six year old boy are two totally different animals," Molly said as she offered Severus the jar of Floo powder.

"Until tomorrow morning," Severus inclined his head as he announced his leave. He did not wish to continue with this conversation. He grabbed a handful of Floo powder and called for his chamber at Hogwarts.

***2 September 1986~7:47p.m. ***

"Would you like some tea, dearheart?"

Lucy gave a soft chuckle. "Why do Brits think tea fixes everything?"

"Because it does," insisted Aberforth as he poured out.

"Muggles say the same thing about duct tape."

"Duck Tape?"

"Never mind…just pour the tea Pawpaw." Lucy said, resigned.

Aberforth gave her the cup. "Well I suppose this is a right fine mess…Do you know what you're goin' to do?"

Lucy shrugged, "Go home I suppose…I make enough from my book royalties that I can stay at home until the baby is old enough then I can return to teaching."

"You can do that here," Aberforth said. "If you need help, you have me or Albus…even your friend that Snape fellow."

"I appreciate it Pawpaw…what I guess what it comes down to is... I just want Mama," she sighed.

"Have you written her yet?"

"Not yet…," admitted Lucy."I do not know how to tell her."

Aberforth sat down in the chair next to her and took her hand. "You tell her the truth. I know my Esther…she will be there for you…you two are so much alike."

"I'm afraid she and Daddy are going to be disappointed in me," Lucy said, fixing her gaze at a cobweb in the corner.

"I promise you they won't be, love." Aberforth assured her. "I'm not. You're a grown and successful witch. You have nothin' to be ashamed of. If you choose to be a single mother…that's your own affair."

Lucy laughed dryly. "Well it's not as if I have much choice concerning the latter, do I…not many wizards out there my age who would be attracted to a nerdy, temperamental, bookworm with a baby in tow."

"You may find yourself surprised at what a wizard finds attractive."

The End.
End Notes:
I'm sure there's probably a book called "Where do Babies Come From?" out there somewhere. But I am not aware of it.
The Ravings of a Dung Beetle by missyanne
Author's Notes:
A little it of what is actually going on inside the head of Kenneth Musgrave. And Severus gives Harry 'The Talk.'

***3 September 1996~Washington D.C.***

"DAMN HER!" his fury echoed through the room.

Kenneth had read the letter five times. His chambers at the consulate were in a state of ruin from his unchecked anger. The standing mirror was cracked, vases and statues were in shards. Even one of the posts on the large four poster bed was snapped in two like a matchstick.

Looking at the letter one last time, his face contorted with rage as her crumbled the parchment and threw it into the fireplace. He immediately cast an Incendio and stood and watched the perfidious document slowly burn to a cinder. As he did so, his senses returned to him.

So much for curbing Lucy's independent nature. Kenneth had hoped by isolating her from friends and family, she would come to depend upon him more. Perhaps if she were occupied with a family of her own, she would give up her fantasy of retaining her academic career and settle into her role as dutiful wife and mother. That plan had backfired into his face. Hopefully, when he returned to the U.K. he could bring Lucy to her senses and make her see the error of her ways.

He closed his eyes and let out a long drawn out breath, cursing the assignment he was on, but even more so the man he was about to go meet.

"An elf, please," Kenneth called out in mid-air.

Straight away a house elf dressed in white trousers and a short white coat popped into existence. In the States, house elves were free and paid for their work. They were still as discreet, loyal and hard working as their counterparts on the other side of the Atlantic, but one must remember to make requests and not demands of them.

"What is it that Hank can do for you?" The little elf asked in a strangely American accent. He did not even give a second glance to the carnage around him.

"Hank, I would appreciate it if you would make my chambers right again whilst I am out," Kenneth requested as he casually admired his high-end, Italian, black pin-striped business suit in the cracked mirror. Wizards and witches in the U.S. made it a point to blend in with Muggles.

Hank looked about as if he saw the room for the first time. His already saucer like eyes widened with surprise but he only said, "All will by right when you return Mr. Musgrave."

"Thank you, Hank," Kenneth said easily as he picked up his leather attaché case and went out the door. He was heading to his official Disapparation point, and a small university town in south eastern Ohio.


 

"Well…I can't say I'm not disappointed to hear that Luxemburg won out over London," said a medium built man with greying dark brown hair. He wore sunglasses, even on a overcast day such as it was, and he tapped a white cane before him. He strode along the side walk confidently. Dr. Richard O'Conner stood almost as tall as Kenneth.

Presently, he was leading Kenneth to a small outdoor café on the university campus. Every now and again Richard was addressed with a, "Good afternoon, Dr. O'Conner," and once they were stopped by an upper level undergraduate student who wanted to make an appointment to discuss his senior potion's project.

When they reached the café, they took a small out of the way bistro table and ordered their lunch.

"I lobbied hard for London…" Kenneth lied, "…but the Chairs of the Symposium thought Luxemburg a more central location," that part was true.

"That's understood," said Richard, "However the U.K. has more sufferers of Lycanthropy per-capita than anywhere else in the world."

Richard O'Conner's research team had just made a breakthrough in the improvement of Wolfsbane Potion.

Damocles Belby's potion allowed the sufferer to become docile during the phase of the full moon and lose their craving for human flesh. Richard and his team of graduate students had developed a formula that would allow the victim of the disease to retain their human faculties during the entire time of transformation. The buzz of excitement through the Potion's and Lycanthropic communities could be heard around the world. It was a giant step towards a cure. Richard O'Conner was assured the Order of Merlin First Class.

A waiter came out and served the two men their drinks. "One o'clock, Dr. O'Conner," the waiter said.

Richard easily reached out and took his glass, "Thank you, Will."

He took a sip from his lager and said, "I suppose Esther and I can take a week off early to visit her in Scotland…Esther would enjoy seeing old Abe again too…I for one would like to meet that young man Albus got his hooks into for his Potion's Master…Severus Snape…I've kept up on his work on pain potions. His potion to combat the effects of the Cruciatus shows real promise…could have made all the difference in the world to the likes of people like the Longbottoms."

Kenneth was grateful his future father-in-law could not see the scowl that formed on his face. As far as Kenneth was concerned, Snape had better hope that potion worked as well as Richard claimed it did. Here Kenneth was, 4000 miles from home, and that son of a bitch still dogged at his heals.

"I'm sorry Lucy could not make it with me this time around," Kenneth said, changing the subject. "I tried to convince her to come, but she said she was too involved with her preparations for the upcoming term."

"Are you alright, Ken?" Richard inquired. "You sound a little tense all of a sudden…Lucy's alright, isn't she?"

Kenneth damned Richards heightened senses. He took a sip of his wine so to get a chance to steady his voice. "Yes…she's fine…I simply miss her."

Richard nodded his understanding, "As do her mother and I…but Lucy was always headstrong like her mother, and the only thing she ever loved more that learning was teaching and ancient manuscripts."

"How did you do it?" Kenneth asked suddenly.

"Do what?" Richard's head tilted with curiosity.

"Rein in Esther's impetuous nature."

Richard shook his head, "I didn't…Kenneth if you haven't noticed by now…Lucy can give a mule lessons on stubbornness. For the sake of you both…don't try to force her into something she can't in good conscious agree to…You'll come to regret it."

Just then their lunch had arrived. Kenneth found he had no appetite.


Back at the consulate, Kenneth's chambers were once again intact. He was pacing back and forth in front of his Floo, wondering what he was going to do about Lucy.

He still wanted her. Kenneth was accustomed to getting what he wanted and he was determined that was not about to change now.

One thing Kenneth was certain of. Everything had changed the day Lucy ran into that Snape bastard…or was it the Potter brat?

Kenneth thought that the only reason Lucy associated with Snape was to get to endear herself to someone as famous as the young Harry Potter. What history fanatic wouldn't?

Severus Snape on the other hand was slippery enough to take advantage of that situation. Kenneth knew that was exactly what Snape had done. It was exactly what Kenneth would have done.

Kenneth had made his decision. When he returned home he would see Lucy at Hogwarts and try to convince her to see reason. If she would not…he would see that the two instigators of his misery would rue the day they ever laid eyes on Lucy O'Conner…and as for Lucy…she may come to regret a great many things.

No one rejected Kenneth Musgrave.

***4 September 1986~Scotland~7:48 p.m.***

It was story time again in the Snape household. Once again, Harry was snuggled securely in his daddy's lap. But this time there was a noticeable difference.

Severus' usual pale continence was now even paler than the Bloody Baron's. Yes…the book Molly had loaned him was simple enough for a child Harry's age. The book used many descriptive euphemisms. Severus just hadn't expected it to be so…accurate.

He had no idea how the Weasley's had managed to read this book to their entire brood without the children becoming emotionally damaged for life or Molly and Arthur emerging certifiably insane. Severus was sure he was going to need several years of counselling after this night.

Harry looked up at his daddy. "Yuck," he commented.

Severus shook his brain back into reality and took a sip of water to soothe is dry throat. "Is there anything you don't understand, Harry," Severus asked painfully.

"I understand it," said Harry. He seemed to grasp the part about mummies' and daddies fitting together like puzzle pieces to make a baby. "It sounds a little icky to me."

Severus hoped it would sound 'icky' to Harry for quite a while. "Well…when you're grown up…you are likely to think differently," Severus said nervously.

"Well grownups are just weird," Harry said assuredly.

"Harry…I couldn't agree with you more."

"Does that mean Miss Lucy loves Mr. Musgrave?" Harry asked with a hint of fear.

"I'm sure she did when they made the baby, Harry," Severus explained, "But I don't think she does anymore," he honestly elaborated.

"I kind of feel sorry for the baby," Harry said sadly.

Severus looked curiously into Harry's eyes. "Why is that?"

Harry said knowingly, "Because it's sad not to have a daddy."

Severus pulled Harry up to him and gave him a reassuring hug. "Yes...yes it is Harry."

Harry sniffed and pulled back out of the hug. He had both hands on Severus' shoulders and looked him straight in the eyes and said, "It's sad not to have a mummy too."

Severus' eyes nearly popped from their sockets at that statement. He sprang out of the chair with Harry. The book tumbled to the floor.

"Time for bed!" Severus said abruptly.

"But I'm not tired," Harry protested.

"Yes you are," Severus hoped.

He really needed a stiff drink right about now.

The End.
I Fell Out of Love by missyanne
Author's Notes:
The aftermath of 'The Talk.'

And Lucy comes face to face with Kenneth. Is she too hard on him...or not hard enough?

***5 September 1986***

Severus and Harry stepped out of the Burrow, greeted by a smiling Molly and her youngest son Ron.

Severus put Harry down and Ron game and grabbed him by the hand and ran off pulling Harry behind him. "Harry! You have to come and see! Dad's going to put up a Quidditch pitch tomorrow!"

Harry managed to turn and wave with his free had before being dragged out of the house, "Bye, Daddy," was all he had time to say before disappearing out the back door and into the garden with his red-headed friend.

Severus waved him out the door more than he had waved goodbye. He pinched the bridge of his nose and closed his eyes, trying to desperately nurse the headache throbbing behind his temples. With his other hand he took the shrunken book from the inner pocket of his teaching robes and handed it to Molly.

"Here…take it back…I never want to see that infernal thing again?"

"I take it you read him the book then, Severus?" Molly said as she spelled the book to full size and it levitated back to its proper place on the top shelf.

Severus nodded, "I thought we were past the discussion last night," he lamented. "I was taking a sip from my morning coffee when Harry asked me over his breakfast 'Do babies come out of mummies the same way they go in?'" Severus rubbed his still burning nose. "Needless to say my initial response was not entirely dignified…though Harry found it entertaining...He asked me to 'do it again'."

Molly put her hand over her mouth to stifle her giggle. "I'm sorry to hear that, Severus," she said sounding more amused than sympathetic.


Severus was only five minutes late when he arrived for breakfast. The entire staff was already seated, Minerva to Albus' right and Lucy at his left. She was lazily slicing a banana into her morning porridge. The potion Poppy gave her for morning sickness had been effective.

Albus was quick to notice Severus' haggard condition. "Severus my boy…your eyes are completely bloodshot…have you been drinking?"

Severus plopped himself in an empty chair next to Lucy, the staff had picked up that the two take nearly all of their meals together.

He was too tired and irritable to answer Albus without jeopardising his employment…Lucy came to his rescue. Apparently, she felt a guilty for Severus' present state.

"Uncle Albus…that's a terrible assumption to make," she said as she added cream to her porridge. "Your eyes are glazed…have you been eating doughnuts?"

Giggles and snickers arose up and down the staff table.

Severus finally spoke up as he dolloped marmalade onto his scone, "Try using the words 'penis' and 'vagina' in a conversation with a six year old boy at six-thirty in the morning, and see how well you fare coming out the other side."

"Oh…then you had 'the Talk' with young Harry, did you Severus?" piqued Professor Flitwick. "Bully for you for having the courage while the boy is still young." The majority of the staff was still not aware of Lucy's pregnancy and intended resignation.

Severus took a drink from his second cup of coffee. Lucky for him it managed to stay down his throat rather than come out his nose once again. He certainly did not feel courageous.

"From the look on your face, Severus, I take it you did not intend to have this conversation so soon?" observed Minerva.

Severus shook his head, "The boy had questions."

Lucy covered her mouth with her napkin and started to choke on a piece of banana.

Severus slapped her hard on the back and dislodged the offending fruit.

"Are you alright my dear?" Albus leaned over and whispered.

She nodded, "Fine, Uncle Albus…Thank you, Severus," she muttered into her glass of water before she took a deep drink.

Once the drama was over, the conversation went back to Harry's biology lesson.

Minerva commented, "Better you should tell him at six than thirty-six."

"Thirty-six may have been preferable," Severus mumbled.

"And just how old are you, Severus?" inquired Albus with a twinkle in his eyes.

"Twenty-six," Severus replied dryly. He had a sinking feeling he was about to become the butt of one of the Headmaster's bad jokes.

A smirk quivered across Albus' lips. "Perhaps we should arrange a sit down between you and Arthur Weasley in ten years time."

With the exception of Severus and Lucy, the entire staff table erupted in laughter. The entire student body looked up from below, wondering what the big joke was.

Severus had been harassed enough by Harry's questions that morning that he was beyond caring that Albus and the staff found his misery amusing.

Lucy on the other hand, had no hesitation over putting Albus Dumbledore in his place.

"Oww!" Albus said as he jumped a little in his chair and rubbed his smarting thigh.

He looked over questioningly at Lucy who was holding up the fork she just jabbed him with.

"Behave yourself, Uncle Albus."

***7 September 1986***

Aberforth stood behind his bar drying out the same flagon for the last twenty minutes. There were only three people in his pub at the moment. Hagrid was sitting at the bar enjoying a bowl of stew the size of a medium cauldron and his third pint of the day.

In a dark corner sat a blonde couple whose pressed and scrubbed appearance looked out of place in Aberforth's establishment. These two, Aberforth was not about to take his eyes off of.

"LUCY, YOU CAN'T DO THIS TO ME!" the man flung his chair back as he erupted.

Lucy jumped up from her own chair, her wand at the ready…refusing to show fear.

Before Kenneth realised it, he had Aberforth's wand embedded in his cheek from behind and a half giant scowling over him.

"If you want to leave with your face attached…I suggest you leave in peace now, Musgrave," Aberforth hissed.

"It's okay, Pawpaw." Lucy said calmly, putting out her hand to lower his wand. "Kenneth promises to be a good boy...," her eyes narrowed as she looked at her former lover, "Don't you Kenneth?" Her smile was unnaturally wide and her voice, sickeningly cloy. The warning was unmistakable.

Kenneth nodded contritely and picked up his chair and slowly sat back down, his eyes sifting between Aberforth and Lucy.

"Just see that you remain civil," Aberforth warned. He completely lowered his wand hand, but did not put it away. "Hagrid and I are right here if you need us, love," he said more gently to his granddaughter.

"I'll be fine, Pawpaw," she assured as she sat back down. "Now…where were we before you decided to throw a hissy-fit…Oh…yes…I want you to leave me and the baby alone."

"Lucy…please…I promise…I'll make things right again between us," he was pleading.

"No, Kenneth," she said firmly. "I don't care what you say...you're not going to persuade me otherwise."

"But Lucy…it's my child too…I want the chance to be a father…I swear I'll take good care of the both of you. You will want for nothing…"

"…But a life!" she finished the sentence. "Kenneth…your idea of keeping me happy is keeping me barefoot and pregnant for the next ten years."

"Darling…you have always wanted a family," Kenneth tried to reason.

"You know I wanted to wait! And DON'T call me 'Darling'."

"But Lucy…I am the father…aren't I?" he asked suspiciously.

"That is precisely the kind of thing that put you in this position," Kenneth knew damn well he was the father; he was only trying to hurt Lucy because she was hurting him.

But like it or not, Lucy thought Kenneth did have some rights as the father. "Look…" she said in real sympathy… "I need you to stay away during my pregnancy…"

"But…"

"Just shut up and listen to me," she said irritably. "I need you to stay away during my pregnancy…the stress you bring…I can't handle it right now…" She closed her eyes and concentrated on slowing her breathing. "But after the baby is born... if you manage to remain civil, we'll discuss some form of visitation or even joint custody," Lucy said more calmly.

"I do not wish to be a 'weekend dad'," Kenneth said bitterly.

"Well that's all well and good… but for the time being you're going to have to be happy with what you get."

"Are you angry with me because you became pregnant? Is this what this is about?" he asked hotly.

"I became pregnant because I trusted you," she bit back. "However, I had made my decision to call off the engagement before I even found out. I'm not going to marry you just because you knocked me up. It would never work out."

"Kenneth things were already bad enough…," she could hardly go on with this conversation. Lucy was shaking her head in disbelief over what Kenneth had done. He had denied nothing. "I had to trust you to do right by me…And I did trust you because I loved you…but I don't trust you anymore." Her voice began to quiver from her anger over Kenneth's betrayal. "I don't love you anymore."

Kenneth stood up and leaned against the table for support…the words at dug deep he was teetering between heartbreak and murderous rage. "Did you fall in love with someone else?"

She stood up and bravely faced him though her eyes were sad. "No Kenneth…but I fell out of love with you."


Lucy was trudging back up the hill to Hogwarts with Hagrid as her guardi…erm…companion.

"Are ya sure to be alrigh' there, Lucy?" Hagrid stopped when she did to catch a breath.

"You know…I'm really beginning to tire of that question," she said aloud to herself. Lucy's petite size had always made her seem more fragile than what she was. Now that she was pregnant and the news of it revealed at last night's staff meeting…she knew she was going to hear a lot more of it. Why did everyone think she was made of glass?

She was grateful that Hagrid had not picked up her ire. After all…he was only concerned. "I'm sorry Hagrid…I'm quite alright…just a little emotionally exhausted."

"I canna' say I blame ya'," Hagrid said kindly. "Tha' Musgrave fellow seems a righ' bit dodgy ta me…How'd he ever become a diplomat?"

"He knows exactly what to say, when to say it, and whom to say it to," Lucy said bitterly. She felt like a complete fool.

Hagrid looked down and smiled at Lucy. "Don' go beatin' yourself over things ya canna' change," Hagrid said. "It'll all be righ' as rain in the end, you'll see."

Lucy smiled up at her old friend. She couldn't help it. Hagrid had always been able to make Lucy smile because she had never known anyone to be as true and genuinely kind as the half giant.

"Hagrid?" she asked slyly, "You don't happen to have any rock cakes do you?" She always though Hagrid's rock cakes were under-appreciated. All one had to do was soak them in tea for five minutes and they were absolutely divine.

"There's a lassie tha' knows a good thing," his chest puffed out appreciatively. "Jus' made some this morning…I take it you'll be wantin' tea then."

"As long as you let me play mother," Lucy had to stop again. She and Hagrid stared at each other as they tried to stifle their laughs at her unintended pun. But try as they might, they could not hold it in.

Because of Hagrid's booming laughter, Lucy thought for sure they could be everywhere between Hogwarts and Hogsmead, which only made her laugh harder.

She wasn't even laughing at her stupid joke anymore. She was laughing because she felt she could. It was cleansing.

Lucy felt like she had finally rid herself of the ten ton dragon that had latched itself onto her. When their laughter had finally died down, Lucy closed her eyes and took a long deep breath. She could feel the sun kiss her cheek and she smiled to The Maker. It had been too long since she had felt this happy…this free.

The End.
Advice from Severus by missyanne
Author's Notes:
Some things never change, such as an interfering Albus. And Severus gives Lucy some advice from a man's perspective.

***10 September. 1986***

Lucy had been summoned to Uncle Albus' office. She did not know the reason why she had been summoned after a full day of classes, but the reason could not be good. As she approached the door to Uncle Albus' office, she could hear raised voices from the other side side of the heavy English-oak door.

Pawpaw? She wondered at the recognised voice. This could not be good. Things never were when her Pawpaw and Uncle Albus were in the same room together.

"You weren't there Albus…If you could have seen the look in his eyes…"

"I'm sure it could not have been as bad as all of that."

"I'm tellin' you right now…if anything happens…,if he does anythin' to hurt that child…"

"It will be his blood."

"Funny…I was going to say the same thing about you."

Lucy quickly knocked on the door to make her presence known. The silence was immediate. "Come in, Lucy."

Lucy slowly entered and peered around the door. "Umm…Pawpaw…Uncle Albus…is everything alright in here?"

The two men standing before her couldn't be more different. Uncle Albus in midnight blue robes trimmed with silver moons and stars. His beard had hair were white as driven snow and reached his waist.

His younger brother was in stark contrast. A full three inches shorter than his brother, wearing worn blue and green tartans with his matching kilt, his hair and beard were grey, rather than white and they were not nearly as neat as his brothers, nor as long.

Lucy often wondered if Uncle Albus magically charmed the colour of his hair. Being compared to Merlin does have its advantages.

The only physical feature that could distinguish the two centenarians as kin were their intense blue eyes.

"Only a simple difference of opinion," Albus said as he waved Lucy in. "Your grandfather was just leaving." Albus looked intently at his brother over his half-moon glasses.

Albus made to leave but said, "This conversation isn't over, Albus," he turned and pointed a warning at his older brother. "Mark what I said."

Albus slowly nodded his head. The usual gleam in his eyes was gone.

As Aberforth passed Lucy, he stopped to give her a peck on the cheek. "Let me know if you need anythin', Love," he gave Albus one last glare. "I'm only a Floo call away," then he left.

Lucy turned her attention to her great uncle. "What was all that about, Uncle Albus?" she said suspiciously.

"Please…sit, child." Albus indicated to a chair before his desk. He sat himself in his own behind it. "Would you care for some tea?" A silver tea service appeared and Albus began to pour out before Lucy could answer.

"Not particularly…but I would care for some answers," she said, trying to hide her irritation.

Albus looked a little disappointed that she did not accept the tea. But he merely put the once offered cup in front of himself and prepared it to his liking. "Pity…it's a lovely tea…but to the matter at hand…I received a rather pitiful letter from your young man."

Lucy shifted in her chair. Her turquoise eyes narrowed and turned stony. "He is no longer my young man. I assume he wrote as much?"

Albus nodded gravely. "I am aware that the two of you have had your difficulties," said Albus before he blew on his tea. "But don't you think it is a little cruel to deny him access to his child?"

"I am not denying him access to the baby," Lucy defended, "Only to me during my pregnancy."

Albus put down his tea cup and looked at Lucy seriously. "Lucy, Kenneth wrote to me to try to get you to reconsider…and I must say I do sympathise with him."

"I can't say that I don't completely," admitted Lucy. She then informed Albus of the change that had come over Kenneth since there coming to Britain.

Albus nodded his hard in understanding and said, "I can understand your disappointment…and even your change of heart concerning the marriage…but why deny him the chance to bond with the child during this time?" Albus asked.

"Because of what happened to Terri," Lucy said starring sadly into her lap.

"Theresa? What happened to Theresa?" Albus inclined his head in concern.

"You don't remember, do you?" her tone was matter of fact. "It has been sixteen years."

"Are you referring to her elopement?" asked Albus. "It only lasted a couple of months…did it not?"

"Yes it did. Terri did not tell me the whole story until I was old enough to understand," Lucy almost whispered. She was willing herself to hold back the tears at the memory of her older sister's ordeal. "I suppose that is why the warning bells went off when Kenneth began to change. But I was only nine when everything happened to Terri. Only right before Kenneth came home did I make the connection."

"What happened?"

"Well…you know the part where Terri eloped with Matt against Daddy and Mama's wishes." Lucy steeled herself and said, "I think I might take that tea now."

Albus poured out a cup and handed it to his trembling niece. Whatever had happened to his elder niece had obviously been very disturbing.

Lucy took the cup gratefully and sipped it without adding any sugar or cream. "I remember I really liked Matt," she said suddenly. "He was Terri's beau from school…very sweet…very funny. I remember being excited for her when she told me she was going to marry him the night she snuck out of the house." Lucy flinched at the feeling of guilt that was trying to sneak up on her. "Mama and Daddy were so upset. She was only seventeen…and Mama didn't like Matt. Come to think about it…Mama wasn't too keen on Kenneth either," Lucy mused. "For the first couple of weeks Terri wrote me…she was very happy. Then the letters suddenly stopped."

Lucy noticed her uncle looked pale as he asked, "Why was that?"

"Terri told me that she found out later that he did not take her letters to post…she said the overall change was so slow she never saw the warning signs…sort of like putting a live frog in a cauldron full of cold water…," Lucy explained. "You slowly turn up the heat and they don't jump out because they don't realise their being boiled alive."

"How bad did things get?"

"Bad…Terri said at first he isolated her from friends and family…then he would question her every time she would go somewhere without him…even the store. After that…did she have anyone over while he was at work? Then he actually accused her of sleeping around while he was gone…he called her horrid names."

"Why in heavens name did he do that?" Albus asked…shocked.

"Who can figure out the madness of a madman?" Lucy answered. "But Terri became pregnant…I remember, she had finally managed to get an owl out to Mama... Mama told her to come home…but Terri thought that having a baby would change Matt."

Uncle Albus looked confused, "I did not realise Theresa had another child."

"She doesn't," Lucy spat bitterly. "Let me finish."

Albus' face grew stern, "Did he ever strike her?"

"According to Terri…no," Lucy admitted. "But she said he did not need to…Before Terri married Matt, she was outspoken, vivacious, and independent…when she finally came home…Merlin…she had such a nervous breakdown after her last argument with Matt that she was fetal. She cried for hours…nonstop."

Try as she might to keep them at bay, Lucy's treacherous tears finally broke through. "Two days after she came home…she went into labour…the Healers said the baby had a heart attack in vitro…Terri was four months pregnant."

Albus leaned back in his chair, his fingers steepled against his chin in deep contemplation. For a moment Lucy thought he might understand her reluctance to around her argumentative ex.

"Lucy…I understand what you must be thinking. But Theresa and her ex were little more than children."

Lucy stood up. She was angry now. "I can't believe you're still supporting Kenneth…after everything I just told you."  The tears were hot against her cheek.

"Kenneth is not your sister's ex-husband, Lucy. Does he deserve to suffer for another man's sins?"

Lucy's face was turning red with anger. Her wand hand began to twitch. "I need to get out of here," she turned and abruptly left Albus' office. Her small body had mustered enough strength, that the slamming of the door echoed down the spiral staircase and the portraits shook on Albus' walls.

When Lucy reached the bottom of the spiral staircase she had to stop and calm herself. She damned her quick temper.

She needed to talk to someone. By now Pawpaw was back at Hogsmead. She was in no emotional shape to Apparate and she did not want to take the time to walk that far. She could Floo, but the sensation was almost as bad as Apparition.

Which left only one sympathetic ear…


Severus was sitting at the small desk in his sitting room, grading his first round of third year essays. He was lamenting why wizards did not send younger children to primary school. With the exception of wealthy families who could afford tutors, it was almost always the Muggleborns that had the better grasp of English grammar. Most of the papers were absolutely ghastly.

He had dipped his quill at just the right angle to pick up a liberal amount of red ink when he was startled by an urgent pounding on his chamber door.

He sighed and cursed to himself. It would be time to pick up Harry soon and he had hoped to get through these last three essays.

Severus wondered who it could possibly be. Most people rang the buzzer. When he opened the door he was startled. Lucy had only been to his private chambers once before. She had used the Floo connection the day she went to see Molly Weasley. He wondered what was so urgent that it could not wait until morning.

"Lucy…Come in," he stepped aside as he watched an angry little witch march into his chamber. She reminded him of himself after a meeting with Albus.

"Thank you, Severus…,"she said with as much civility as she could muster, "I really need to talk to a friend."

Severus froze in shock. He did not understand why the words had startled him. The feeling was mutual, but it had been over a decade since anyone had called him 'friend' and meant it. Yes…Albus used the term, but he only used it to be patronising. Nobody had used the word as a sincere endearment in reference to Severus since Lily.

"Sit down, Lucy," Severus indicated to his worn sofa. "May I get you anything?"

"Just water, thank you."

Severus went to the kitchen, as he reached for two glasses from the cupboard. Lucy turned on the couch to face the kitchen. "Severus…has my Uncle Albus always been such an interfering old bastard?"

Severus was grateful his back was turned. He nearly broke out in full blown laughter. "It seems to be a rather disagreeable habit of his."

He composed himself as he filled a pitcher of water. When he had schooled his features he walked over to the sofa, pitcher and glasses in hand.

Sitting down next to Lucy, he poured her a glass and handed it to her. He was surprised at how at ease he felt around the witch. "Tell me…what did the interfering old bastard do this time?"

Lucy gave a weary smile and regaled the entire story how Kenneth had written an appeal to Albus, and how Albus had agreed to run interference for the man. Severus listened patiently until Lucy had finished.

"Would you be angry with me if I suggested a compromise?" Severus asked.

Lucy just shook her downward cast head. She looked too emotionally spent to argue.

"Lucy…I can see both points," Lucy lifted her head to say something but Severus raised a hand and said. "I only ask you to listen…and as your friend I will support you in whatever you decide."

Lucy consigned herself to keeping her mouth shut for once. After all, she came to him for advice,

"I find your reason for wanting to keep Kenneth away perfectly valid considering what happened to your sister…tensions between yourself and Kenneth were becoming volatile and that is a stress you can ill afford. However…Albus is right that you cannot make assumptions based upon another man's actions."

"What do you suggest I do?"

"Continue what you have been doing," Severus said sensibly. "But allow him to come to your check-ups…keep him informed…however, do not see him alone…have your grandfather or I present when he is with you."

Lucy chuckled wryly, "Oh…Kenneth will love that!"

"He will have to get used to it." Severus slowly took her hand and looked her in the eyes "Lucy…speaking as a man…I believe that a father has every bit as much right to a child as the mother…but as a friend…I believe you know more of what Kenneth is capable of than anyone…trust your instincts…because when it comes right down to it, whilst you are carrying this child…you are ultimately responsible for its safety. Do not let Albus or anyone else, convince you otherwise."

Lucy reached out and hugged Severus around the neck. "I don't know what I'd do without you, Severus…you're a great friend."

Severus could feel his face heat up as he blushed. "You would simply wait until morning to see your 'Pawpaw'," he said as he pulled from her embrace.

"You are probably right…but Pawpaw wouldn't be as much fun. He doesn't blush as easily."

Severus grimaced, but he couldn't help but blush again as he arose from the sofa and offered Lucy a hand up. "I am over a half hour late to pick-up Harry," he said. "To pay for your insult you shall accompany me to pick him up…he might not be as upset when you come through the Floo."

Lucy took his hand, arose from the sofa, and gave him a genuine smile. Already, she was feeling much better as she said, "It is the least I can do for you."

The End.
Like it Had Been the Most Natural Thing in the World by missyanne
Author's Notes:
Severus and Lucy come to truly appreciate their friendship. But Harry has more in mind than friendship for his daddy and Miss Lucy.

***13 September, 1986***

"Daddy, can we invite Miss Lucy?"

"May we invite, Miss Lucy?" Severus corrected.

"I asked you first," Harry responded. He was hanging over the back side of the sofa, facing his daddy who was in the chamber's small kitchen.

Severus looked over at his godson. He was taking Harry out by the lake to play and was readying a picnic lunch.

"Don't be cheeky, Harry… I'm sure Miss Lucy has already made her plans for the day. We can ask her next time…and sit on the sofa properly," he scolded.

Harry turned around and plopped his bum down defiantly, his arms crossed in indignation. How was daddy going to find a mummy if he didn't talk to girls?

His daddy was the only daddy he knew that didn't come with a mummy. Ron had a daddy and mummy, Dudley had a daddy and mummy, even that blonde kid he met in Diagon Alley last spring…Draco Something…had a daddy and mummy. Harry was sure all daddies needed a mummy to help them. It wasn't right that his daddy had to be alone, and he was sure Daddy fancied Miss Lucy. Harry thought she would make a very good mummy to help Daddy, and she was very nice. But how could she get to know how great Daddy was if Daddy didn't talk to her more. Besides, now that Miss Lucy was going to have a baby, it would kinda be like having a little brother or sister. Ever since he had come to know the Weasleys, Harry thought it would be nice to have one of his own. But nooo…Daddy just wouldn't cooperate.

But Harry had made one wrong assumption. Though his daddy did not talk to girls, he did talk quite a bit to one particular woman.


Severus' lips thinned as he spied his cross little godson. Harry had his arms crossed over his chest and kept turning his head to glare back at Severus through his rectangular frames. "Harry, if you insist upon pouting, you may do so in your room. I will not tolerate such insolence."

"I don't mean to be insolent, Daddy," Harry puffed insolently. "I just thought Miss Lucy might be lonely. She's all by herself in a different country and she has no family or friends or anything."

"Harry… you know the Headmaster is her uncle and her grandfather lives in the village, and we are her friends along with the Weasley's," Severus reminded him.

"Well, since we are her friends, it would be nice to invite her. She can always say no if she doesn't want to come. "

Harry had Severus on that one. The child's reasoning was sound.

...And it was not as if Severus had no interest in inviting Lucy.

Severus found Lucy to be an interesting enigma. At first glance, she seemed all at once delicate and demure…but then get to know her, and underneath lay an inner fire and subtle yet rapier wit. She may be irritable at times and loose with the occasional explicative, but Severus found that part of her charm.

Oh…Severus was not in love with the witch but he found it both enthralling and disturbing that he had allowed himself to become so close so quickly. Perhaps it was because Lucy was the first adult he did not have to prove himself to. Though Lucy was not aware of all of his sins, she was more aware of his background than most, at least from a Historian's perspective… which is none too flattering, yet she did not judge him. Due to her lack of prejudice, Severus had unconsciously allowed himself to become as open with her as he had been with Lily. It was strange how Lucy had become so close so quickly…like it had been the most natural thing in the world.

And then again, the woman was carrying another man's child and propriety should be observed. Not that it really mattered to Severus in the grand scheme of things, but it might matter to Lucy. What if Musgrave managed to change her mind again?

Severus chose not to pursue any interest he may have in Lucy despite the fact that she had professed that she would never again involve herself with Kenneth Musgrave. Severus told himself that if he involved himself further with the witch and she were to have a change of heart, Harry would be devastated.

"Daddy?"

"Hmm?" Severus was snapped out of his musings.

"Can…I mean…may we invite Miss Lucy?"

Severus thought about it. It might be nice to have some adult conversation whilst Harry played off his energy. "We shall ask, Harry. But if Miss Lucy says 'no' you will not bother her any further…and no sulking or you shall spend the rest of the day staring at the walls of your bedroom. Do I make myself clear?"

"Great!" Harry jumped up from off the sofa and ran over and gave his daddy a quick hug around the middle. "I can bring my broom again…right?


"Damn it…Sorry, Thor." Lucy jumped from her couch as she spilt her coffee all across the side table and the papers she had just been grading. Her pet had been on her lap while she was going over homework and had scampered off to hide amongst her houseplants. "Stupid decaf," she muttered, taking her wand and cleaning the mess before her.

The buzzing of the door alarm had startled her. No one had bothered to darken her chamber doorstep since the day after she moved in.

She glanced around the room. It was as presentable as it was going to be. Her favourite plant was sitting right in the middle of the floor where the sunlight was streaming in through the window and she still had several stacks of books in the corner that she had not gotten around to shelving. She really needed to get those shelved before Thor started snacking on anymore of them. She had various houseplants huddled together in another corner, waiting for a permanent home. How long had she been here? A month and a half?

Next she scanned down at what she was wearing and shrugged. She was in her beige lounge slacks and a brown spaghetti strapped chemise style top. Whoever was at the door was going to have to get over her disorganised abode and her lack of professional attire. She was in her home and she had every right to be comfortable.

The buzzer went off once more and Lucy took off her reading glasses and put them on the side table then answered the door. She was greeted with a pleasant surprise. "Severus …Harry…Please, do come in." Severus was carrying a picnic basket…Harry, his little broom.

Before her guests even had a chance to cross her threshold, a grey and white flash of lightning made for the exit. "Whoa there, Thor," Lucy flicked her wand and the little fur ball froze mid-flight. She bent over and scooped up the would-be escape artist and dutifully reanimated it.

Harry was the first to notice exactly what Miss Lucy's naughty pet was, "A bunny!"

As Severus and Harry finally entered Lucy's sitting room. Severus looked so…comfortable? Casual? Rather than his usual black body armour, he was sporting only a waistcoat over his white linen shirt with black trousers. His long black, 'potion hair', as she called it, was actually combed back out of his face. It reminded Lucy of her daddy's hair when he was younger. She liked this more roguish look on Severus. It suited him.


Severus eyed the miniature ball of fluff she was holding. "You have a rabbit named 'Thor'?" his cheeks flushed just slightly. It was obvious that they had disturbed Lucy whilst she had been relaxing. She was in her lounging clothes and barefooted. Her hair fell down her shoulders in ringlets, as if she hadn't taken the time to brush it out yet.

It wasn't as if Lucy's attire had been revealing, but the fabric delicately hugged her curves. There was only the slightest amount of cleavage showing from atop her blouse, but just enough that Severus could defiantly appreciate the effect.

Lucy noticed Severus' subtle admiration. She too, blushed and quickly gestured for Severus and Harry to have a seat on the sofa. Severus obliged and placed the picnic basket at his feet. Harry was on his toes in front of Lucy, trying to get a better look at the bunny rabbit.

"Yes. I have a bunny rabbit named 'Thor'," Lucy said defensively. Without Harry even having to ask, she knelt down so he could pet it. "She was a gift from an old friend of mine." Chris had given her the miniature Dutch rabbit for her birthday two years ago. It was an inside joke about how every magician needed a rabbit to pull out of the hat.

"She?" Harry giggled. "You named a girl bunny 'Thor?' You're funny, Miss Lucy… May I play with her?"

"I'm sorry, Harry, but she is not used to playing with children." Lucy walked over to the door that led to her bedroom, put Thor down and closed the door behind her. "So…Severus…What brings you and Harry to my humble lodgings?"

Before Severus could get a word out, Harry chimed in, "A picnic! Would you like to come on a picnic with us?"

"Harry! It is not polite to burst out in such a manner, especially when you have not been addressed," Severus admonished. "But Harry is correct. We would be happy if you would join us."

"Well…I do have essays to grade…"

"Please, Miss Lucy?" Harry urged. "You can grade papers outside too…and fresh air is good for you. Daddy always says so."

Lucy thought about it. She had had been feeling a bit run down. Perhaps the fresh air and sunshine would do her good. "Far be it for me to question the infinite wisdom of Daddies," Lucy said, winking at Severus. "Give me a moment to change."

Lucy ducked into her bedroom to change. Harry turned his attention to the rest of the room and spotted a terra cotta flower pot under a glass dome. It was sitting in the sunlight. In it was the strangest plant he had ever seen. "What is that, Daddy?" Harry asked quietly. The plant looked like it might eat one of his fingers if he were to touch it.

Severus arose from the sofa to see what had captured Harry's attention now. Separated from the other house plants stuck in a corner an under a glass dome clouded with condensation, was a Venus flytrap.

Severus knelt down next to Harry and explained to him about the unusual carnivorous plant. It was exceedingly difficult to cultivate healthy specimens such as this one. Severus told Harry that potion quality plants are hard to come by and that they are used in various disease elixirs.

"It really eats insects?" Harry said in a disgusted, but yet admiring tone.

"Yes, she does," said Lucy's voice from behind them. She had emerged wearing a sage green tunic with long bell sleeves, a long brown skirt and sandals. Her hair was done in two long braids. "…And get your mind out of the gutter, Severus Snape."

Severus stood up and stared. He did not think she was a Legilimens. Was she referring to his thoughts when he and Harry arrived?

"I can tell you're lusting over Henrietta," she accused as she picked up a box containing flubber worms from off a sideboard table.

"Who's Henrietta?" Harry asked, looking around the room for another animal. He did not know what 'lusting' meant, but it did not sound nice.

Lucy lifted up the dome of the plant and spooned a flubber worm on to the eagerly awaiting, fleshy pink hinged leaf. "This is Henrietta." Lucy said and looked suspiciously at Severus. "And if you think you're going to use her in your potions…you can just think again, Mister."

"I wouldn't dream of it," Severus said dismissively.

"Liar."

Severus gave a soft snort of amusement as Harry watched in morbid curiosity as the leaf slowly closing over the unsuspecting flubber worm.

"Let me see if I understand this correctly. You have a female rabbit named 'Thor' and a Venus flytrap named Henrietta?" Severus inquired.

Lucy nodded, "I once had Bull Mastiff named 'Sweetums' but I he died last year.."

Severus twitched his nose as he tried to wrap his head around what she had said…A male Bull Mastiff named 'Sweetums.' "Lucy, do your child a favour."

"Hmm…what?" she said as she put the dome back over Henrietta.

"Let Kenneth name the child."


"Will you two get away from that window…someone will see you."

"Don't be such a wet blanket, Pomona." Minerva said irritably. "Why don't you join in on our little wager?"

The elder three Heads of House were having their traditional Saturday luncheon. When Severus had been unexpectedly offered his Head position last year they had made a conscious effort to invite him to their little get-together, but he had continued to refuse. He had excused himself by saying that his responsibilities to his new charge had made it impossible.

The other three heads had even gone so far as to invite Harry along, but Severus still resisted. Pomona had finally come to the conclusion that it must feel awkward for the young man to now be colleagues on equal footing with the very same witches and wizards who where his own professors only a few years prior. Pomona was the next youngest of the group and she was over thirty years his senior. How could Severus possibly find the company of such a bunch of old fogies inviting, she reasoned?

Filius was standing in the window ledge "I'll wager ten Galleons they will be serious inside a month," he said confidently.

"You're only kidding yourself, Filius. The lad will never get over his obsession with Lily Potter enough to ever get close to another woman." Minerva took a sip of tea as she spied over Filius' shoulder to gaze down at the scene by the lake. "Severus simply found someone close to his age to socialise with. It does not make them romantically involved."

It was a perfect early fall day. Quidditch tryouts were underway at the pitch and most of the student body had congregated to watch. Other students were scattered around studying under trees or chatting. Some Muggle-borns had started a pick-up game of something called 'football.'

Off by themselves on an obscured bit of shoreline along the lake were Severus, Lucy and little Harry. It looked as though Lucy was rolling up a parchment and laying it in a stack behind her. The remnants of a picnic were spread out to one side. Severus and Harry were by the lake shore. Severus was leaning over and speaking into Harry's ear, apparently teaching him how to skip stones.

"Ah…you forget, my dear Minerva…Aurora Sinistra started last year. I find her to be an alluring witch, yet I do not believe our young Severus has spoken more than two complete sentences to her since she arrived."

Pomona agreed with Filius. "And since when has Severus willingly socialised with anyone since Lily Evans?"

"I still say Severus won't make a move," Minerva said as if she were being ganged up upon. "He may have be over Harry being the son of James Potter, but I don't think he's willing to 'play dad' again to another man's child."

"I still say it's a sucker bet," Filius said. "It's obvious that Severus is smitten and I think dear Lucy may reciprocate in kind."

Minerva walked away from the window and over to the table to pour another cup of tea. "What makes you think that Lucy has any feelings for Severus beyond friendship? He is nothing like her former fiancé."

Filius turned to face Minerva, "My point exactly."


Lucy rolled up the final parchment. She could understand why Severus found grading so tedious, if she saw another misused 'their', 'there', or 'they're', she was going to scream. Ad this use of contractions in formal papers had to stop. She was also going to have to spend some time teaching her students how to write an essay and cite their sources. Over half of the students had simply regurgitated the text…some of them verbatim.

She took her reading glasses of and rubbed between her eyes. She may only be twenty-five, but the glasses had been a result of a misspent youth reading books under the covers by nothing more than a dim Lumos light.

She looked up at the wizard and his godson before her. She wondered if Kenneth would be as caring a father. She could only hope.

Perhaps Uncle Albus was right. Maybe she was projecting Matt's shortcomings on Kenneth. It still did not mean she would feel any easier around the man, but she was willing to let bygones be bygones and at least be friendly to Kenneth if he would stop trying to control every aspect of her life.

It was obvious that Kenneth did not trust her, perhaps he never had. Lucy's parents had taught her that trust was Love's foundation, and she believed it as Dogma. If Kenneth did not trust her, how could he have ever truly loved her? That little paradox made Lucy question Kenneth's motivations and as a result, she lost trust in him.

In a way, Lucy blamed herself. It was her new found friendship that brought her to that epiphany.

Lucy had never been in a serious relationship before Kenneth. As an academic prodigy, she had been accepted into university at the tender age of fourteen. She had been somewhat bossy and opinionated and her sense of humour often went over the heads of her peers. Too much of a bookworm to foster the interest of any boy her own age and much too young to be involved with the young men in school, she had been somewhat of a loner. Chris was the only boy her age that did not find her intimidating, but there was never a chance for anything beyond friendship. Chris' romantic interests did not include the opposite sex. At the time she thought it a pity. Chris was more than a friend, he was also her first crush.

By the time Lucy finished her first degree…she was too involved with teaching and private research to become entangled in a romantic attachment.

Kenneth had come along at a turning point in Lucy's life. She had decided to slow down after her last book and focus solely on teaching. For the first time in her adult life, Lucy had the time to be social.

When Kenneth had made his interests known, Lucy did not know how to act. Now that she thought about it…she had never given Kenneth her full opinion on anything. She tried to be what she thought a good girlfriend ought to be.

Lucy wanted to please Kenneth, so she would say things that she thought Kenneth would want to hear. She did not lie, she was just overly careful of what she said and how she said it.

On those rare times she did state her opinion or became upset, Kenneth would simply patronise her…so she learned to keep her opinion to herself.

It occurred to Lucy, that Kenneth never saw the real her until after they moved to England. Kenneth would be gone for so long, Lucy's unintentional act would drop and Kenneth had unexpectedly come home to the real Lucy. He found out that his once quiet and eager to please girl was actually an opinionated woman who had a stubborn streak.

In retrospect, Lucy realised she had done just as much wrong to Kenneth as he had done to her, perhaps even more so. Perhaps her relationship with Kenneth was doomed from the start. Even if he had not been the jerk that he became, they would both have ended up unhappy.

It was her friendship with Severus that made Lucy realise this. The comfortable and uninhibited way she felt around him, she should have felt around Kenneth. Lucy was not afraid to speak her mind around Severus from the beginning because when they met, she had nothing to lose.

She was not afraid that if she disagreed or even argued with the man, he would take offence and end their friendship. If she were to be honest with herself, she had not been this close to anyone since Chris. It was strange how Severus had become so close so quickly…like it had been the most natural thing in the world.

Lucy sat up on her knees and was reaching for a banana when two familiar shadows darkened the blanket. "We see you've finished your grading," Severus said as Lucy patted the blanket.

"Have a seat…I'm sure we can rustle up a snack."

"Are there any biscuits left?" Harry asked as he rummaged through the basket.

"No more biscuits, Harry. You may have a piece of fruit," Severus told him.

"But I don't want fruit," Harry moaned in protest.

"If you have another biscuit now, then you shall have no pudding after supper."

"Don't worry, Harry. I know exactly how you feel," Lucy told him.

"You do?"

"Yes…I do. There are a lot of things I would give my wand hand for right now…I'm really missing my mama's cooking."

"What kind of things did she make you?" Harry asked before taking a bite from an apple.

Lucy counted on her fingers and said dreamily, "Well there's her Brunswick stew…she-crab cakes…oh but most of all I'd give anything for Mama's shrimp and grits and sweet tea?"

Harry's face squinched in disgust. "What's a grit?"

Lucy sighed, "'Grits,' Harry. It's plural…and what they are is manna from heaven."


Severus poured himself a glass of the American style lemonade that Lucy had made. "I take it you are having cravings."

"That…and I'm missing my folks a bit," Lucy admitted.

Severus made a mental note to write Madam O'Conner. "Have you asked the house-elves? I'm sure they would be more than willing to accommodate."

Lucy snorted. "They asked the same question Harry did…It was all I could do to keep the poor little things from smashing their heads against the wall."

The next hour or so was spent in companionable conversation about where Lucy grew up on the Ashley River. Severus chose not to speak about his unfortunate childhood in front of Harry. The subject then completely changed to the upcoming trip to the Callanish Stones the fourth and fifth years where taking in two weeks.

By the time Harry had fallen asleep with his head in Severus' lap, the conversation had turned to Kenneth's visit.

"Poppy is giving me a check-up Wednesday after classes. Apparently, Kenneth is joining Uncle Albus for tea before the appointment."

Severus' brow furrowed as he absently stroked his sleeping godson's hair. "Lucy, I cannot help but wonder if you should be seeing someone more adept at obstetrics than a school matron?"

"Actually, Poppy is more than qualified." Lucy assured him. "She was a mid-wife before she came to work at Hogwarts."

That had put Severus' mind a little more at ease. "Are you sure you do not wish me to accompany you?"

"It's not that I do not want you there, Severus…I just think it would be a bit awkward right now…but Uncle Albus will be there. I think if Pawpaw were to come he'd hex Kenneth into oblivion."

Severus was a little disappointed. Lucy would receive her official due date. He would have liked to have been there for her, but Kenneth was the father. It was his place to be there.

"Severus…may I ask something of you…something very personal?" Lucy's voice wavered a bit.

Severus looked at her worriedly, "Ask."

"I know I intend to go back to the States…and I know we've only known each other for about three months. But honestly…you're one of the best friends I've ever had…and I don't know how I'm going to break this to Kenneth…Oh Hell! I'm rambling! Would you consider being the baby's godfather?" She finally managed.

In the wizarding world two godparents could be named. Usually a godfather and a godmother, but on rare occasions there may be two godmothers or two godfathers named. Both parent's had the right to make their own choice and then it was discussed which godparent would be the primary. If something happened to the primary godparent, the secondary one would step in. Severus had been named Harry's secondary godfather. For the life of him, he could not understand Lily's motivation behind that decision. But he was eternally grateful.

Severus knew Lucy would have a fight on her hands over her choice, but to Severus there could be only one answer. "I would be honoured.

The End.
An Unimaginable Bastard by missyanne
Author's Notes:
Kenneth attempts the unimaginable.

***17 September, 1986-2:45 p.m. ***

Kenneth stood before his standing mirror, approving of the reflection before him. He was wearing his new midnight blue robes, tailored to perfectly fit his musculature. It was a colour that Lucy had always said favoured his eyes. His short blonde hair was quaffed and his smile was genuine.

He could not believe his luck that Albus Dumbledore had spoken on his behalf to Lucy. By feigning a desire to bond with the baby, he had managed to keep Lucy from completely slipping out of his life.

Kenneth had been truly outraged when Lucy wanted him gone. The whole point behind impregnating her was to reinforce her dependence upon him, but that obviously had backfired. Other than siring an heir and keeping Lucy occupied, Kenneth was rather apathetic about children. It would be Lucy's duty to raise them. If children kept her happy and at home…all the better.

Kenneth picked up his little insurance policy from off the side table. He had made a side trip to a discrete apothecary in Diagon Alley that morning. He felt little regret Amortentia would induce a miscarriage within forty-eight hours. It was an exceptionally potent potion but the abortive affects would be gone inside of a week and Lucy would become hopelessly obsessed with nothing and nobody but Kenneth for months. By then they would be married and hopefully another child on the way. He would take measures to assure she would never leave him again.

Obviously, she would be distraught over loosing the baby. But Kenneth would give Lucy the appropriate amount of sympathy and assure her there would always be more children…and he would see to it that there were more children. Besides, he was not one-hundred percent sure that the child was his. Next time, there would be no question.

He would need to make sure that he administered the potion after the Medi-witch examined Lucy. Kenneth could not risk the potion detected in Lucy's system during the examination and Lucy was so early into her pregnancy that a sudden miscarriage would scarcely raise an eyebrow.

Kenneth found his calm centre and focused on raising his Occlumency shields. It was an art he was fair at and was necessary to keep his opposition from second guessing him, one of his more hidden talents. He found it quite useful in negotiations. He had already made arrangements for the following year to learn Legilimency from a Master in the United States.

Kenneth wished for Lucy's sake that she would have seen reason before now. It was exceedingly bad form to resort to such measures, but Kenneth would have it no other way. She was going to forget all about her career. She was going to forget all about her American family and by Merlin; she was going to forget all about that son of a bitch, Snape. Come what may, Kenneth was determined that Lucy was coming home with him tonight.

*** 3:30 p.m. ***

Severus had just finished his last lesson of the day and found Aberforth Dumbledore awaiting him in his office.

"How did you get in here?" Severus said irritably. He was sure he had locked his office door.

"You don't think Albus is the only Dumbledore that knows that little trick…do you?" he smirked. "I have the address you requested."

Severus walked around to his chair behind his desk, taking the piece of parchment the old wizard offered him as he passed. "You could have sent this via owl-post…why deliver it personally?"

"I think you know why. I want to be there for Lucy and it is obvious to me that you do too," he said pointing to the parchment.

Aberforth had become acquainted with Severus the first year the young man came to teach at Hogwarts. Severus had become a regular fixture at the Hog's Head on weekends until he took over care of Harry Potter.

They were becoming reacquainted as Lucy had brought Severus and Harry along for tea twice since she moved into the castle and he and Harry had visited on their own this past Sunday when Severus came to inquire about some information. Aberforth had been out back with his goats and could not retrieve the information at the time.

That was the very bit of information that brought the goatherd to Severus' office now. He only now had the opportunity to bring it to Severus. Severus would take that information to Muggle London and use it the very next afternoon during his lunch break.

Severus shook his head. "Lucy has made it clear that our presence would make an awkward situation even more so. As much as I wish to do otherwise, I intend to respect her decision in favour of the 'jack-ass'."

"Come on boy…where's your sense of adventure?" Aberforth goaded. "We still have time to sneak into Pomfrey's office. At least we can hear the news first hand…What do you say?" He leaned forward in his chair and awaited an answer from the younger wizard.

Severus also leaned forward and lowered his voice, "Do you think Madam Pomfrey will rat us out?" He wasn't due to pick up Harry until between 5:30 and 6:00… plenty of time.

Aberforth grinned, "I'll bribe her with a year's supply of my medicinal soaps if I have to. She'll let us stay."

Severus pushed himself away from the desk and arose from his chair. "What are we waiting for, old man…we have just enough time to get ourselves down there before the jack ass."

Aberforth got up and followed Severus out of his office. "Which jack-ass are you referin'to, Albus or Kenneth?


Lucy was standing before the full length mirror she had transfigured from one of her office chairs. She stood profile with a throw pillow tucked under her robes. She sighed and bit her lip. This was not helping at all. She just looked like a witch with a pillow tucked under her robes. She took the pillow out and tossed it across the office.

She was glad to be alone. Binns had decided to go visit the library when he saw how moody Lucy was.

Lucy stood profile again and cupped her tender breasts in an effort to see how her bust would improve. If only that effect would remain permanent, she lamented.

She then rubbed her hands about her lower belly. She had not begun to show, but her uterus was defiantly hardening. It was hard to believe that right at this very moment a new life was growing inside her. The irony did not escape her that as angry as she was for Kenneth purposely impregnating her, she was eagerly looking forward to this baby.

Deciding that she needed to sit down now, Lucy transfigured the mirror back into a chair and plopped into it as she blew out a heavy breath. She knew Kenneth was in Uncle Albus' office right now having tea.

She should have been giddy with anticipation today, but instead she was as nervous as a Niffler in a room full of Kneazles. She knew it was right to have Kenneth with her, but it did not mean she was happy about it.

Lucy drew out her wand and Summoned the post she had received from home. It took over a week for owl posts to get across the Atlantic as they would have to fly from Iceland to Greenland and over, or go south and cross the Azores. Either way, it was a frustratingly long time to wait for a letter.

Lucy was misty eyed as she read it. Mama and Daddy were angry at what Kenneth had done. Especially Daddy. But she felt that in between the lines, they were disappointed with her too.

Mama and Daddy were not fools. They had encouraged their children to come to them with their problems at an early age. In fact, Lucy and Terri had been just as comfortable talking about girl problems with Daddy as they had been with Mama. So last year when Lucy had decided that she would become intimate with Kenneth, she would trust no one but Daddy to brew Kenneth's contraceptive and anti-STD potions.

Daddy had gone over with Kenneth the importance of him taking the potion responsibly. Lucy was depending upon Kenneth to do so. If for any reason Kenneth needed to stop taking the potion, he needed to tell Lucy. Kenneth had made a promise to do just that.

Lucy could not believe that her parents would be coming to visit the following month on the way to Daddy's Potions Symposium. Mama was going to help her shop for maternity robes and they would all discuss Lucy's plans for the future. Daddy also wanted to have a serious 'discussion' with Kenneth.

Lucy was a little worried for Kenneth. Daddy may be blind, but he was deadly accurate with his wand. He could make out an individual's breath from over fifty feet away and zap a fly mid-flight.

Lucy Vanished her parent's letter to her rooms, got up and steeled herself for the inevitable meeting with Kenneth.

Perhaps it wouldn't be too bad. After all…he did seem enthusiastic at the prospect of becoming a father. Lucy scoffed at herself. Of course he was excited about becoming a father. He had purposely impregnated her…had he not?

***4:25 p.m. ***

"Can you hear them?"

"If you shut up I'll cast a spell so we can hear what Madam Pomfrey is saying," Severus said tetchily. "And if you hold still, I'll do us one better."

Severus waved his wand over himself and Aberforth so they could be Disillusioned. That way they could crack the door open and see as well. He flicked is wand and Poppy's voice was amplified so the older wizard could hear the conversation better. He had cast the spell just in time. "…which would make you due April 7th, but you could deliver sometime between the last week of March and second week of April."

Severus let the door creak open. His heart froze as he saw Kenneth reach out and take Lucy's hand as she sat on the side of the hospital bed. He was relieved to see Lucy coolly take her hand back and put it in her lap. Severus was startled as he felt Aberforth pat him on the back.

"And how are mother and child?" Albus said as he smiled. He walked over from where he was standing on the other side of the bed. He bent over Lucy and she turned her cheek up as a placed a gentle kiss upon it.

Severus could tell Aberforth was agitated behind him.

Poppy gave a wide smile, "They are both perfectly healthy. Lucy, I will give you a list of do's and don'ts and a suggested diet. Take care of yourself and follow up with your check ups and I don't see any reason you cannot have a healthy pregnancy."

"Thank you, Poppy," Lucy said through her relief.

"Lucy…Kenneth…would you like to know the baby's sex?" Poppy asked.

Lucy looked up at Kenneth. He nodded his approval and Lucy gulped. "You can tell so soon?"

"Of course I can," The medi-witch announced, slightly insulted. "Unlike Muggles, we don't have to wait for the child to be large enough for pictures. We can tell by a signature the baby will emit…it is similar to an aura."

Lucy nervously shrugged, "I suppose so."

"Lie back down then," Poppy ordered.

Kenneth helped Lucy bring her feet up on the bed despite the fact she did not need the help.

"Now…" began Poppy, "As I cast the spell…if the light is gold it is a girl…if it is silver, it's a boy."

Lucy closed her eyes and held her breath.

Aberforth and Severus also held their collective breath from over at their hiding space.


Lucy felt a warm sensation envelope her womb. It was only a second later when Poppy said gently "If you want to know…open your eyes, child."

Lucy slowly opened her eyes. She clasped her hand over her mouth as her tears ran down her cheeks. "I didn't know I would be able to see her." Floating over Lucy's belly was a little golden orb. Within it was a tiny creature not much bigger than a kidney bean. It did not look much different than one either. But Lucy could make out her daughter's tiny arms and legs. Lucy was instantly in love.

"Hey, Kenneth…look what we made," she looked up at him with honest happiness. "Isn't she beautiful?"

Kenneth's only answer was weak smile.

The image disappeared as the spell phased out.

"I can't wait to tell everyone!" Lucy was practically jumping out of the bed with excitement. She arose from the bed and hugged Albus with all her might. "I'm having a girl, Uncle Albus!"

Albus embraced Lucy and merrily laughed. "I know, dear child…I saw for myself…Severus will be delighted to hear he's going to have a goddaughter."

Kenneth's eyes snapped with fury, but he deftly concealed his rage before anyone noticed.

"Oh…" It had just dawned on Lucy was Albus had said and she had not had a chance to discuss her decision with Kenneth. "Kenneth, I'm sorry. I was going to talk about this with you myself."

"There's no time like the present," Kenneth said calmly. "Shall we discuss this over tea?"

Poppy interrupted. "I have to go in my office and get that information for you, Lucy…you may stay here and talk if you like."

"Thank you, Poppy."

Poppy shooed herself away into her office to tell the two men within everything they had already heard.

Lucy turned to her ex-lover. "I must say, Kenneth, You're taking this better than I thought you would."

Kenneth gestured for her to sit and said, "You may be amazed to know that I can be magnanimous…do sit Albus. I'll pour out."

Kenneth had his back to Lucy and Albus as he poured. "Do you still take milk, Lucy?"

"Yes."

"And you, Albus?"

"Four lumps of sugar, if you please."

Kenneth turned and handed Albus his cup and then Lucy, hers.

For the rest of her life, Lucy would recall how the next twenty seconds went by in slow motion. Her fate and the fate of her child had been sealed within it.

Lucy smiled as she took the tea cup from Kenneth. She knew the conversation was about to turn to Severus, but she had the distinct feeling he was near. The manly smell of sandalwood permeated her nostrils. It really wasn't sandalwood, but the odour of the amalgamation of hundreds of different potions and the smoke of a potions lab. To Lucy, it reminded her of smoky sandalwood.

As she raised the cup to her lips, she was hit hard by a memory, nearly a decade past:

She was in her Daddy's potion's lab with Daddy and her younger brother Allen. Lucy had come home for the summer from her first year in University. Although Allen was a Squib and could not brew potions, he was still fascinated by them and had a keen theoretical understanding.

Both teens were blind folded. Daddy would often blindfold them so they could ascertain some of the more subtle properties of a brew.

Allen…you're totally off…It doesn't smell anything like coffee. It's more like dusty old parchment and…

"…honeysuckle on the vine," Lucy said almost into her cup. The 'milk' did not look right. It was pearlescent.

Lucy quickly withdrew the cup from her lips and her hand began to shake violently.

Albus placed his hand on Lucy's shaking arm. "Child…are you alright?"

"YOU UNIMAGIABLE BASTARD!" Lucy screamed as she jumped up. Her tea cup shattered on the floor. "He laced my tea with Amortentia!"


Poppy was obtaining information for Lucy as Severus congratulated Aberforth on the impending arrival of his great-great-granddaughter and Aberforth congratulated Severus on the impending arrival of his new goddaughter.

Their celebratory mood was broken by Lucy's terrified screams.

"YOU UNIMAGINABLE BASTARD! ...He laced my tea with Amortentia!"

Severus, Aberforth, and Poppy came running out of the office.

Albus had Kenneth pinned on the bed, his knee pressed into the younger man's ribcage and his wand against Kenneth's temple."

"Poppy…page Minerva…have her call the Aurors!" Albus ordered through clinched teeth.

Lucy was standing off to the side, protectively grasping tight to her belly. She was crying and shaking uncontrollably in disbelief of what Musgrave had just attempted.

Severus came around at placed a hand on her shoulder. She immediately threw herself into him and cried all the harder as he protected her in his embrace.

"I knew it…I knew it!" Kenneth spat has he struggled to raise his head from the bed. "DEATH EATER'S WHORE!" Kenneth dropped his head back down and began to sob. He continued to mumble about how she would pay...how they would all pay.

Poppy tenderly led Lucy and Severus into her office. "Come, Lucy…I need to make sure everything's alright." She would fire-call Minerva from her office.

"I warned you…Look at what he nearly did to Lucy," Aberforth growled. He looked as though he would feed Musgrave to the Dementors, himself.

"Now is not the time for 'I told you so', brother." Albus cast Kenneth into a body bind and arose from the bed. "The Aurors will come and he will go to Azkaban to await trial for attempting to kill the baby…Go to Lucy. She needs you."

Aberforth once again scanned Kenneth's prone form. He hocked back as much mucus as he could and spat in the young man's face. Phlegm streaked down the blonde wizard's cheek. "That is for Lucy."

Aberforth left the room to go and comfort his grandchild.

The End.
Dating Advice from Fred and George by missyanne
Author's Notes:
Just like the title said and a few thoughts from Molly on Severus and Harry.

***September 17, 1986-5:16 p.m. ***

"Well…How am I supposed to get them to kiss?" Harry huffed.

A gnome stuck its potato head out of its hole. Harry dove for it, but the little blighter was too quick and he was rewarded with a mouthful of dirt. With his grubby hands he tried to wipe the dirt from his tongue. He loved de-gnoming the garden with the Weasley boys. It was one of the funnest things in the world to do.

***5:18 p.m. ***

Molly Weasley was watching the children from the kitchen window. Fred…or was it George…was trying to teach Harry some of the finer points of de-gnoming the garden. Harry had leapt out at a gnome too soon and had bit the dust…literally. Ron had managed to trap one under a bucket. Percy and George…or was it Fred… were 'discussing' the best way to the keep the blighter from escaping. As long as the 'discussion' did not look as though it would erode into fisticuffs, she would allow them to work out the problem on their own.

Molly had been criticised by some friends for the practice of having the children fling the gnomes from the garden. They pointed out that it was pointless. Gnomes were too resilient and would always find their way back. But Molly adamantly refused to use Gnome-icide. As much of a bane to her vegetable garden they were, she did not have the heart to kill them.

Her trio had been distracted when Fred…or was it George…called them over to Harry. That momentary diversion was all the gnome under the bucket needed to make good its escape. Molly could not help but laugh at the escapades. Percy went running after the fugitive and Ron and George…or was it Fred…went to what their brother wanted. Ginny…who had been sitting under the oak tree petting her cat, decided to go help Percy in his quest.

She would have to call Harry in soon. Severus would be there to pick him up before long and the child was filthy. Forget trying to simply Vanish the dirt. She was going to have to Scurgify the child before presenting him to his godfather.

Molly could not but marvel in the change that had come over Harry the past year. Never had she seen a child that had been so starved for a parent's affection. Albus had recommended to Severus to have Molly watch over Harry whilst he taught during the day. The first day Severus had left Harry alone with her, the child sat stoically in front of the Floo his entire stay. No matter how much she had tried to coax him, no matter how much the children tried to invite them into their play, Harry would not budge. She had to physically bring him to the table for lunch, and he went directly back to his spot after barely eating enough to feed a bird.

Severus had been astonished how quickly and without question Harry had become attached him. Severus was not even certain he could handle his new-found guardianship…before meeting Harry; he proclaimed he did not desire it. However, upon finding Lily's son bedded inside a broom closet, Severus could not leave the boy behind. His indignation of being coerced into raising the 'spawn of Potter' had quickly turned into indignation for how 'Lily's child' was being so cruelly treated.

To see the laughing, playing child now in comparison to a year and a half ago…well there is no comparison. When Severus first found Harry, the child was about the size of a three year old toddler though he was nearly five when Albus and Severus had taken him from the Dursley's. Harry had been overworked, underfed and unloved. It was certain that if Harry had remained under the care of his Muggle relatives the neglect would have eventually escalated into violent abuse.

According to Severus…it was as if Harry knew that there was someone out there that would someday rescue him. Harry thought that perhaps his relatives had lied and at least one of his parents was still out there, trying to find him. Severus had come to Harry as an answer to a small child's prayer. Severus had delicately explained to Harry that his parents James and Lily were indeed gone and that he, Severus, was 'merely' his godfather. Still, although little Harry claimed to understand that his real mummy and daddy were gone, he still equated the word 'godfather' to 'father' and 'father' to 'daddy'. Severus had confided in Molly that he would do everything he could to be deserving of the moniker.

Molly felt some small bit of pride that she had something to do with Harry and Severus being united, and a bit of guilt that all of Severus' questions as to why Lily had named him godfather could not be answered.

Molly had received a letter from Lily soon after the Potters had gone into hiding. It was the last letter she had received from the woman she had come to regard as a younger sister. They were both members of the Order and along with Alice Longbottom, were pregnant at the same time. The women had bonded immediately.

The letter Lily sent Molly was full of regret in regards to an old friend named Severus Snape. Lily had not gone into details with Molly but asked a favour of her. Attached to the post were two more letters, one to be given to the Magical Bureau of Vital Statistics and the other was to go to Severus. Lily had told Molly what to do with them and about the contents of the one to the bureau. That particular post was to be taken and given to the bureau on the occasion that something happened to James and Lily but not until after Severus had been proven in court that he was indeed a spy and had turned to the side of Light. The latter request had been at the insistace of James. She told Molly that she believed that she had been sorely mistaken about her old friend and had named him as Harry's second godfather. Lily never told her what was in the correspondence to Severus, and it seems that no one would ever know.

Upon returning from Albus Dumbledore for advice after Severus had been exonerated from Death Eater activities and it had been revealed that he had indeed been a valuable spy for the Light, Molly found that the second letter that she had left in her desk drawer had turned up missing. The entire familyplowwed through the Burrow in an effort to find it. It would not come to Molly and Arthur's summons. It was gone. Molly had hope that the letter had somehow been charmed to go to its intended recipient, but she might never know. Perhaps it had and Severus chose to remain closed lip about it. It was just like him. She could only hope. But if the letter was gone forever….

It was out of habit that Molly turned to Albus for advice before taking Lily's letter to the Ministry. But Albus had said there was no way Severus could obtain custody of Harry. There were strong Blood Wards centred on Lily's sister. Harry would be safe from this enemies nowhere else. It would do no good to have hopes shattered and hearts broken.

It was in a reminiscing tea Albus had with Severus that changed everything. Severus had regaled the Blood Brother/Sister ritual between him and Lily as children and Albus had jumped at the opportunity to take Harry out of the unloving home. Severus had been reluctant, thinking himself unworthy and unqualified to take on the responsibility, not to mention Albus was actually suggesting that he, Severus Snape, raise James Potter's 'brat.'

It had taken nearly a week for Severus to be talked into at least meeting Harry. The rest was history.

Molly had her reservations about Severus Snape at first. Bill's stories of the new Potion's professor and his surly disposition and his acerbic tongue had her concerned. If Harry Potter's Muggle relatives had been as bad as Albus Dumbledore had asserted, wasn't he taking little Harry out of the cauldron and into the fire?

It was not long before Molly's concerns were put to rest. Severus at first seemed every bit as ill-tempered as Bill had described. But Molly could tell there was more to the wizard than met the eye. She likened Severus to that kind of sweet that was hard and sour on the outside, but once you broke through, he was rather soft and sweet in the centre. Merlin forbid, Severus ever found out that's how Molly equated him.

Even Bill has commented that 'fatherhood' has tempered the man's temperament. Last spring, Severus had even taken the time to teach her younger children some simple potions on a Saturday afternoon. He had taught them a harmless potion that would turn their hair blue for a day and one that would make everything they ate taste like marmalade.

Instant hero worship on the part of the twins.

It took Ron and Percy a little more time to come around and Ginny still thought the dour man a bit scary, but she would come around in time as well. Bill and Charlie now considered him amongst their favourite professors and Arthur openly calls him 'a friend'.

In fact, Molly has begun to think of Severus like a younger brother, much in the same way she had thought of Lily as a younger sister.

Harry is no longer the unloved little boy, starved for any affection he can get. He has grown confident in the knowledge that Severus is a parent who loves him and will not neglect or abuse him. He was starting to forget what his life was with the Dursleys. She knew that when this past spring Harry had wanted to join in on the de-gnoming with her children. Severus had been weary to have Harry participate in household chores considering the child's past. But Harry had decided on his own to join in on the task.

Because of Harry, Severus had found it safe to let himself feel. Harry and Severus had saved each other.

Molly had found her reflecting disturbed by the sound of tiny scampering feet. Scabbers had joined her in the kitchen window sill. He was standing on his back legs looking out, obviously waiting for Percy to come in and feed him.

"Scabbers…shoo," Molly said gently as she nudged him from the window. "You know better than to climb up here." Scabbers scuttled down to the floor and Molly tossed him a piece of sliced carrot. "There- tuck into that until Percy comes in to feed you proper."

The rat sniffed the offered food, grabbed it between its incisors and ran up the stairs. No sooner than that had happened, her Floo had come to life. Molly walked into her sitting room, knife and carrot still in hand. "Severus…you're a few minutes early…come…step through," she said as she walked back into her kitchen.

Severus gracefully stepped through. He turned his head as he noticed Percy's pet rat scurry up the stairs. He brought his attention back to Molly. "I know I'm a few minutes early, Molly. I understand if Harry isn't ready yet." He followed her in the kitchen and spied Harry in the garden happily playing with the children. He seemed heartened to watch the children play.

Molly put down her chore. "Just give me a moment, Severus. I'll have Harry cleaned up for you."

"That's quite alright, Molly. Let him have a few more minutes."

"You look like it's been one of those days," Molly observed.

"You have no idea," Severus said as he blew out a breath. He spent the next fifteen minutes recounting Lucy's examination and what Kenneth had tried to do.

***5:18 p.m. ***

Fred had told Harry that to get Miss Lucy to fancy his daddy; they (his daddy and Miss Lucy) were going to have to kiss. He and George had overheard Bill talking to Charlie about kissing girls one night... And Bill was a right smart bloke.

"Oy, Fred…what's got your knickers in a twist?" asked George as he approached, Ron hot on his heels.

Fred hitched his thumb towards Harry. "Got any suggestions on how Harry can get his dad and Miss Lucy to kiss?"

Ron scowled his face in a disgusted look. "Why would Harry's dad want to kiss a girl?"

Fred rolled his eyes, "Because, Harry's dad doesn't fancy a bloke…he fancies Miss Lucy."

"Maybe, he could give her a potion." George suggested enthusiastically, "He's brilliant with those."

Harry thought about it then shook his head, "I don't think Daddy would do that…It would be like cheating, besides I don't think he knows he's supposed to kiss her," Harry said sagely, as if he were now more savvy about boy/girl relationships at the ripe old age of six than his own daddy.

Fred and George suddenly had an epiphany that stemmed from that same ease-dropped conversation of Bill and Charlie's. "They need to be alone. They need to go on a date," they chimed in at once.

"What's a date?" Harry and Ron asked at the same time.

"That's when a bloke asks a girl he fancies…"
"…to go someplace alone with him."
"Like taking her to dinner…"
"…and then he would at least have to kiss her goodnight." Apparently, Fred and George had heard all they needed to know about going out with girls in that ten minute, overheard conversation.

Harry looked all at once excited and then disappointed. "How is that going to happen? He won't leave me to go out on a date. Not after that house elf fell asleep. The only time he lets me away from him is when I'm here."

"Then ask him if you can stay with us one night," Ron suggested. "Maybe he might get lonely and ask her out and then he can kiss her," he said as if it were the most obvious thing in the world.

Fred and George patted their little brother on the back for his ingenious insight. "We may be proud…"
"…to call you 'Weasley' yet, little brother."

***5:33p.m. ***

"Oh my, Severus," Molly exclaimed as she put her hands over her mouth in disbelief. "How could a man attempt to do something like that to his own child?"

Severus was having trouble with that very notion himself. He loved Harry as his very own, and always would, but what he would not give to have a child with a woman he loved. Some men did not realise how blessed they were. Musgrave was a fool, but more than that, he had proven himself a monster.

"It only goes to show how complacent we have become after the War." Severus remarked gravely. "It is a reminder that there a wizards still amongst us that can give the Dark Lord lessons in evil."

"How is Lucy after this ordeal?"

Severus was studying his sleeve, removing an imaginary piece of lint in an attempt not to look at Molly in the face and reveal his own feelings. "She is doing as well as can be expected. A man who had professed to love her, tried to enslave her, kill their child, then called her a whore," he swallowed hard after that. He should not have been so demonstrative towards Lucy in front of the man. Severus felt more than a little guilt for causing the woman pain.

"Poor child," Molly lamented. "She doesn't need to be alone. Perhaps I can pay her a visit and sit with her after supper."

"She is not alone. Aberforth is staying with her this evening." Severus would tell her the story behind that, but that was another jar of flubber worms to open and there was no time.

Suffice it to say, that after the Aurors had asked their questions and left with Musgrave, it was all Severus could do to keep the Dumbledore brother's from duelling in the hospital. He had to remind them that a very upset Lucy was in Poppy's office and could hear everything they were saying. Actually, that was a lie on Severus' part. He had cast a Muffliato spell so Lucy wouldn't be upset by the goings on outside the office door. But Albus and Aberforth need not know that.

The Ministry Potions Master that came along with the Aurors and confirmed what Severus' nose had already told him to be true. Kenneth had indeed tried to slip Lucy Amortentia. Severus caught the familiar smell of warm grass on a hot summer's day and also something new, lemongrass and citrus. He quickly pushed to the back of his mind the ramifications of that.

Molly arose from her chair then walked over and patted Severus on the hand. "Severus, if there is anything I can do for either of you, you will let me know…yes?" Molly looked up and out the window and realised it was getting late. "Oh my…I need to get my own scrubbed and fed." She hurried over to the back door and called the children in from the garden.

Severus arose from his chair. "Thank you for bending your ear, Molly. But I believe everything will turn out fine in the end. Aberforth will take good care of his granddaughter."

Molly did not have a chance to answer, as a thunderous heard came stampeding through her back door. The twins stopped to formally shake Severus' hand before they headed upstairs after their brothers and sister. Severus sombrely obliged.

A very dirty Harry stopped right before Severus and grinned. "I was helping de-gnome the garden," he said proudly.

"Sorry about that, Severus," Molly said. "I meant to have him cleaned up before you arrived."

Severus pursed his lips and pointed his wand at Harry. The dirt began to disappear as if it were being sucked into a vacuum. However, it did nothing to rid the smell of sweaty little boy. "It seems to me as if you were digging gnome holes, rather than try to rid the garden of them," Severus commented. "You will need a shower before supper, young man."

"Can't I take a bath instead?" Harry moaned as Severus led him to the Floo.

"No you may not. You will only succeed in creating mud." Severus turned and faced Molly. "Thank you again, Molly…for everything."

Molly smiled and waved them off. "There is no need for thanks, Severus…you know it is always my pleasure."

At that, Severus picked up his smelly child, and in a rush of green flame, Flooed home.

***6:30 p.m. ***

Lucy was sure Pawpaw thought she was asleep. No charm or potion could get her to sleep right now, though her body felt numb, her mind was in too much turmoil.

Pawpaw had finally left her alone in her room and went to her small kitchen to make himself something to eat.

It was just as well, Lucy was not in the mood for company.

Confusion...anger...guilt...All negative emotions that just bombarded her at once.

What could Kenneth have possibly been thinking? Did he really think that she would or could ever forgive him for such a heinous act? That she could ever forget her child?

Lucy closed her eyes tighter and concentrated on steadying her breathing as she protectively put her hands on her womb.

She was contemplating how she was going to manage to attend Kenneth's trial without throwing an AK at the man. Perhaps she could plead temporary insanity or justifiable homicide. Did they have such a defence in Britain?

Lucy let out a heavy sigh. She turned over and buried her face in her pillow to keep from screaming. She should have followed her first instinct to quit Kenneth and be done of him.

It would have been preferable to go through life as the bitch that would not let her child know its father. Now what was Lucy going to tell her daughter about Kenneth? How to explain that the child's father went to Azkaban for trying to kill her before she was even born?

Could Lucy ever reveal the truth to her? Lucy hated to lie, but she knew in the end she would. She would never place that burden on her girl.

Why couldn't the answers be simple? Why couldn't life be simple? Lucy didn't think she was a bad person. Why were bad things happening to her? Being a single mother was not how Lucy had envisioned her life. This was not part of her plan.

Lucy lifted her head from her pillow, turned on her side and wiped away a stray tear. She was getting angry now. She was loathing herself for wallowing in her own self pity. Honestly, things could be a lot worse and she was made of sterner stuff than this.

She had already decided at one point she would be a single mother and it wasn't as if had no recourse. Lucy would simply go back to her original plan. Go home where family would be close at hand to help and live off her book royalties until her daughter was old enough to attend school, and then Lucy could go back to teaching. Lucy could make a very good life for her and her daughter.

And it's not as if she would be alone either. Not only was there Mama and Daddy. She would also come back and visit Scotland where she always had Pawpaw, Uncle Albus, Hagrid…and Severus.

Lucy's chest clinched as she thought of him. Why did she ask him to be her child's godfather? The man had enough on his plate without the added burden of her child.

Severus Snape was the guardian of none other than Harry Potter. Being as close as she was to the two, it was hard to see Harry as anything other than a rambunctious little boy. After all, that is exactly what he is. But reality was cruel. As ridiculous as it was, the poor child was heralded as the saviour of the wizarding world.

Severus had enough on his hands protecting his own child. She had no right to ask him to encumber himself in her messed up life.

As much as Lucy wished desperately for things to be different as far as Severus was concerned, she would go home to the States so he could concentrate on living his life and raising his son.

For some reason, Lucy began to cry again. She yearned to speak to Severus, but dared not ask for him.

***8:46 p.m. ***

Kenneth was being led out of Processing into the dark bowels of Azkaban prison to await his trial.

Azkaban was not only considered Hell for its use of Dementors. There was no distinction made between those awaiting trial, petty criminals, and cold hearted murderers. All were thrown into the same general population.

So a street urchin, pick-pocket could be thrown into a cell right next to one of You-Know-Who's Death Eaters. The only difference was time served.

Kenneth was now being guided to his new home by his guard-A Dementor.

The cursed wraith need not have sucked out Kenneth's soul. Its very proximity was enough to evoke visions of lurid scenarios of Lucy and Snape as they laughed together at Kenneth's pain.

Kenneth could not help but notice the drooling, filth encrusted, near comatose inhabitants of the cells. He shook down to his core with the realisation that he was staring at his own fate.

He and his grim companion were nearly at the end of the corridor when Kenneth noticed a strange prisoner in the cell that was next to the one that would be his own.

A great, black dog.

Since when did Azkaban become a dog prison?

The End.
Games and Obsessions by missyanne
Author's Notes:
POV bounces around in this chapter. I wrote it long ago before I learned to use persective. I put it horizontale rule bars to indicate POV change, but I could not come up with a way to fix it without re-writing the entire chapter.

***25 September, 1986***

In the days following the incident with Kenneth, Lucy slowly came around to herself again. Kenneth was safely ensconced in Azkaban awaiting trial. She had not received word yet as to when the trail would be, but she hoped it would be soon. Once she had given testimony, she was determined to wash her hands of him and never look back. Lucy would make a life for herself and her daughter far from the murderous bastard.

At present she was finishing up with her morning classes. Miss Tonks, a sweet little Hufflepuff third year with wildly pink hair had stayed behind to ask for some pointers on how to study for their first exam coming up in a week.

"You mean you're only going to ask one question?"

"Yes dear. It will be from one of these three that I have given you." Lucy leaned over the girls shoulder, pointing to the questions on the parchment. "Your answer will be an essay. You have a whole week to study these questions and practice how you will answer them."

Miss Tonks nodded, but still seemed a little unsure. "I'm not very good at writing essays."

Lucy smiled her understanding. "Don't worry yourself too much over it. This is only the first exam and it does not hold as much weight as the others. If you prepare, you'll do just fine. "

"Okay," Miss Tonks sounded unconvinced.

"If you have a question, come see me. I'll be happy to point you in the right direction."

Miss Tonks brightened up at that. Her hair had miraculously flashed a brighter shade of pink. "Thank you, Dr. O'Conner," at that, the girl scooped up her books and skipped out of the classroom.

Lucy gave a wan smile and cleaned up her classroom before she went to lunch.

She had never taught young children before and was wondering if she may need to change some techniques. Sometimes it was hard to remember that most children are not as gifted as she was at their age. She was afraid that perhaps she may be giving too much homework. By the end of term, her fifth years will have done about eight hundred pages of reading in addition to their research projects.

Lucy was used to teaching undergraduate students. Before that she taught high school. If she had accepted the tenured position back at the university in the States, she would have been directing graduate students for the first time.

She decided she would wait for the results from her first exams to see if any changes were necessary. If she had to, she would adjust. As much as she wanted her students to learn, she did not want to burn out their little brains.

The one universal truth about teaching was, it is always a learning experience.

She warded her office door and went to lunch. She needed to finish her lunch quickly if she and Severus were going to make their 'date' in the staff room.


Severus was already at the Head table when Lucy finally made her way into the Great Hall. The other professors were leaning their heads towards one another, deep in speculation.

Today was Thursday. Last week, in an effort to get Lucy's mind off of her problems, Severus challenged her to a game of wizard's chess during their free period. He had not expected her to be quite so good. They did not finish that day, so the board was left in the staff room. They had not finished on Tuesday either. Tuesday was the other day they shared a free period. Today would be the third day of the match.

Lucy approached her chair and looked around at her colleagues in their hushed conversations before sitting down.

"So what are the odds?" she asked nonchalantly as she took her seat.

"Even," Severus said slightly chagrined. He had hoped that at least he was given a slight advantage.

Albus looked over from his chair. "I'll have you know Severus, Lucy learned to play from my brother when she was only six. He is the only person to ever best me in the game."

Filius was the punter for this game. When he overheard Albus, he squeaked and immediately changed the odds, "Five to four in favour of Lucy."

Severus almost choked on his onion soup when he heard that.

Students stared up as they wondered what was going on at the Head table. The staff was clamouring around Professor Flitwick to change their bets.


Lucy smirked while Severus groused. Then suddenly a familiar aroma caught her attention. Severus noticed and he too forgot the doings of the other professors. Albus was grinning knowingly, though his smile did not meet his eyes. It had not since the incident the previous week.

"That couldn't possibly be…" she said staring at the silver tureen in the middle if the table. Lucy lifted the lid and was surprised to see tiny spiced shrimp sitting atop a mound of creamy white grits.

"Did Pawpaw write to Mama for the recipe?" she turned and asked Albus.

"Not to my knowledge," said Albus as he began to take a bite of his banger.

"Did you?" Lucy asked as she began to eagerly fill her plate.

"I did not."

She stopped what she was doing. That left only one other person. "Severus, you wrote my mama about my cravings, didn't you."

He didn't look in her eyes but instead at what he considered to be the smelly mess she was pilling on her plate. He was beginning lose his appetite. He turned his attention back to his soup. "I may have had a brief correspondence with her over the matter," he mumbled into his spoon.

Lucy took a bite of the sweet and spicy shrimp along with a spot of the creamy grits. Her eyes rolled back with pleasure. After she swallowed she said "Ah…Heaven…I could kiss you for this Severus Snape."

Severus' cheeks flushed for a brief moment. He shifted nervously. "Not after eating that you won't." Under any other circumstances, he may have been tempted to take her up on that offer.


As far as chess games are concerned, this one was hardly exciting. Neither Severus nor Lucy had managed to gain control of the centre. That first day, it had taken fourteen moves before she managed to capture Severus' first pawn. She had a sneaking suspicion that the only reason she had managed that was because Severus just wanted to see something come off the board.

It was now three days into the game and the only thing that had been accomplished was Lucy had three of Severus' pawns and he had one of her pawns and a bishop. They had both castled their kings, realising that this battle wasn't going to be over anytime soon.


There were a few other professors in the staff room, including Filius, who had a vested interest in the outcome of the game. For the most part, the game was ignored, people only gathering around the table if it looked like something exciting was going to happen. In reality, the only excitement in the game was the wagers that were set on it.

Filius had another vested interest, but not in the chess game. He also kept an eye on the players. He only had two more weeks left in his little wager with Minerva and he was getting frustrated. Couldn't these two just admit their attraction and get on with it? Honestly, these two young people danced around their feelings like they danced their pieces around the chess board, either one afraid to make the first bold move in fear that it may be the wrong one. Well, at least they were chatting with each other over the game board.


"Do you have enough chaperons for your excursion Saturday?" Severus asked a he was contemplating Lucy contemplating her next move. She had a habit of twitching her nose when she was immersed deep in her thoughts. He found it rather endearing.

"Hmm…yes. Professors Myers, Sinestra, and…oh what's the new Runes' professors name?

"Babbling."

"Yes, Babbling. They will be coming along as well as some parents. They all want to tie the trip in with their curriculum. Why? Did you wish to come along?" She finally moved one of her knights, hoping that Severus would accept her sacrifice, thus opening himself up for attack by her queen.

"Not unless one can use a monolith in a potion. Know of any?" Severus did not take her bait. He calmly moved one of his pawns in such a manner that if she dared to move her queen into position, his free rook would snatch her away.

"Damn," Lucy muttered under her breath. She leaned back in her chair to consider her next move. She knew the game was about to change

They were distracted as an eagle owl flew thought the window. It was carrying two posts. They watched it gracefully fly in and land on the table next to the chess board. It hopped over to Lucy had held up a talon. Seeing that this owl belonged to the post office in Hogsmead, Lucy took a couple of sickles from a pocket in her robe and put them in a leather pouch attached to the owl's leg. The owl turned and glided back out the window.

Severus looked at Lucy with interest. "You seem to be popular this afternoon."

Lucy opened the first letter and smiled broadly. "It's from Mama. Not only will she and Daddy be here next weekend, they're bringing Allen and Alf."

Severus raised an eyebrow at the strange name. "Who is Alf?" He had only heard of three brothers, Allen, Richard Jr., and Daniel.

"Well to be quite honest, I don't know his real name. He is Daddy's Alfa patient, the first volunteer to try the potion. When it was an obvious success with him, Daddy was given permission to expand clinical trials. I suppose he is going to give patient testimony at the symposium."

Severus recalled reading about the miraculous success surrounding Dr. O' Conner's Alpha patient. He had to admit, as much as he still harboured a fear of werewolves, he was intrigued to see the results of Dr. O'Conner's work first hand.

"Wonderful!" Lucy exclaimed. "Allen is taking a hiatus from school this year to assist Daddy, but he has been accepted into Graduate School at MIT next year!"

"I thought your younger brother was a Squib. How much assistance can he be?"

"You would be surprised. He may not be able to create magical potions, but he knows the theory behind them. And he is absolutely genius with mundane potions. He has been fascinated with Daddy's work as long as I can remember and Daddy always encouraged him to pursue the knowledge. He is going to study to become a bio-chemist...If we are lucky, he'll bring his guitar"

"Your brother plays?"

Lucy nodded. "Twelve string. The O'Conners come from southern Ohio. My grandfather was a Muggle and absolutely amazing with is guitar." Lucy recalled fondly. "He tried to teach all of his kids and grandkids. I could never pick it up, but Allen took to it like a duck to water."

Lucy was so excited about seeing her little brother, she almost forgot about her second letter. "Are you going to open that one?" Severus pointed out.

"Oh…thank you." She opened up the second letter and a curious look came across her face.

"What is it? Not bad news, I hope." Severus said. If Kenneth managed to get released because of his Ministry connections, there would be Hell to pay.

"No…the British Museum of Magical History wants to see some of my reproduction work."

"What kind of reproductions?"

"Ancient Manuscripts. My second doctorate was with artefact recognition and preservation. I studied old manuscripts and learned how they were created. I reproduced some carpet pages and manuscripts from the Book of Kells and the Book of Kildare. They are quite magnificent if I do say so myself. Apparently the manuscript curator at the museum wants to look them over."

"I wonder why?"

"I suppose I'll find out when I meet with him. He is coming here on Monday," Lucy said as she folded the letter and put it back into its envelope.

The clock in the staff room chimed. It was quarter until two and time for the last afternoon class. As it was a double class on Tuesdays and Thursdays, it would last until four o'clock.

Staff began to shuffle out of the room. Severus and Lucy were amongst the last to leave as Severus cast a charm over their game so it could not be disturbed. Filius was the only other person left. "Filius…If you don't wish to be late, you shoud make haste," Severus reminded him.

"I'll be fine. Just need to finish this one paper," he said, feigning as if he was grading.

"Severus…would you and Harry like to come up and see my work this evening," Lucy asked. "I'll throw in dinner."

"As long as you're not serving shrimp and grits," he held the door open for Lucy to pass and followed her out as she laughed.


Filius rolled up the parchment that he had been blankly staring at for the past forty five minutes and grinned. Perhaps he would win that wager with Minerva after all.

***7:27 p.m. ***

Harry was laying on his belly in Miss Lucy's chamber. He and his daddy had just had a brilliant dinner with her. Something called Chicken Parmesan. For pudding they had something called Shoo-fly pie. Miss Lucy said it was a recipe from her Grandma O'Conner who grew up in Pencil-vania. Wherever that was. Harry thought Shoo-fly pie looked and tasted an awful lot like Treacle Tart, which was good, but he thought the name was very funny.

He had a piece of alfalfa grass stuck between his teeth wiggling it about. Harry was trying to coax Thor out from behind the plants she was hiding behind. The bunny had managed to get close to him once, but Harry moved too quickly as he reached out to pet her and she bolted away again.

Harry gave up on Thor and turned on his side. He propped himself up on one arm and watched his daddy. Miss Lucy had gone into her study to get something and Daddy was looking at some strange little statues she had displayed on the shelves. Harry wished his Daddy had followed her into the study. Then they would be alone and maybe get this whole kissing business done.

Miss Lucy came out of her study with a flat rectangular wooden box with all kinds strange and beautiful carvings on it. She went over and sat on the sofa and placed it on the coffee table along with a pair of white gloves. She then asked Harry and his daddy to join her.

"Severus…Harry, have a seat." She patted a spot on the sofa beside her.


Severus turned from where he was admiring a votive statue. He had been thinking a lot of Lucy as of late. Tonight he could not help but to notice how pretty Lucy looked in her brown and chiffon over gold silk. The way her hair cascaded over her shoulder was stunning. Her eyes were dancing with excitement and the prospect of divulging her life's passion.

Yes, Lucy loved to teach. It was evident in the way she was always there to answer her student's questions and she took pride as if their accomplishments were her own. Lucy had told him the only stupid question is the one left unasked. Perhaps he might consider that approach.

But Lucy admitted that her true obsession was with artefacts and writings. "Tangible links to the past," she had called them. Lucy described the thrill of touching something that another soul had touched thousands of years before. It was the only way one could reach back into the past and touch their ancestors. That was why she loved history so much.

Severus had never been much on history. To him it had always been places and dates and old dead men. But he had never looked at it in the way Lucy had. Perhaps it had something to do with having a close family and taking pride in its accomplishments. Severus had to admit, he had not been so blessed. He really didn't care a rot about his family's dark past, either side of it, but he could definitely understand passion in ones work.

It had been slow in coming and he did not know when he had finally made up his mind, but Severus had come to a conscience decision to pursue Lucy. He was not sure how he was going to go about doing it, but he needed to convince her to stay in the country and he did not know whether or not to make his intentions known. If he told her and she still decided to leave, how would he handle it? If he did not tell her, would she leave never knowing how he felt?

Lucy was kind, intelligent, and witty...and Harry absolutely adored her. Severus found that he could not imagine a day without seeing her.

She may be prone to outbursts of anger from time to time, but then again so was Severus. Every so often she had chastised him over how he spoke to his students, but she took it as a lack of teaching experience. After all, he had no formal training as she had, and had only been a 'father' to a small boy for over a year. Severus had actually managed to curb his temper since that first year. If she had seen his outbursts before then, she may not have been so magnanimous in her assessment of him.

But just like he found himself not wanting to disappoint Harry, neither did he wish to disappoint Lucy. He wanted to live up to her expectations.

The question was would Lucy return his affections? After all she has just ended a rather nasty relationship. He could hardly blame her if she were reluctant to try again.

But sometimes, he swore he saw something in her eyes... something that had always eluded him with Lily. So Severus was determined to take things as slow as he needed to in order for Lucy to know that she could trust him with her heart.

Harry had already picked himself up off the floor and was leaning against Lucy's knee, curious about what she had to show. Severus went to the sofa. He hitched his slacks and sat down next to her.

"Harry…why don't you sit on your daddy's lap," Lucy suggested.

Severus lifted up Harry and plopped him on his lap. The child made himself comfortable and waited patiently for Lucy to open the box.

Lucy first cast a spell of the coffee table to make it free of contaminates and then put on a pair of white gloves.

Severus looked at her hands. They were tiny for a grown woman. The whole of her hand could fit quite easily in the palm of his own.

She slid off of the couch and sat on her knees in front of the coffee table and gently lifted the ornate cover off of the box. She removed the top layer of acid free parchment that protected her delicate work. She gently lifted the top vellum page out. Lucy held the edges gingerly between the palms of her hands and gently placed it on the table for Severus ad Harry to see.

Severus gave an audible gasp. "Lucy…you made this?"

"Wow," breathed Harry.

Lucy smiled demurely at their approval "Yes," agreed Lucy. "It took me five years to recreate these eight pages."

The page before them was practically translucent. The intricate geometric designs were both bold and delicate at the same time, the blues, golds, greens, and reds strikingly vivid.

"How come it took so long?" asked Harry. It was almost his entire lifetime.

"Well, it took me over a year to discover the pigments and learn the quill strokes. And of course I had to obtain high enough quality photographs to work from, because obviously I could not have more than one day's access to the originals," she looked down lovingly at her handiwork.

"This is quill work?" Severus was astonished.

"Yes…these types of manuscripts are all done by quill. Since the type of quills needed are no longer made, I had to make them myself."

"Lucy…this is miraculous work. How close are they to the originals?"

She gave a naughty little chuckle. "Close enough that one can't tell the difference without an age charm or they would have to be intimately familiar with the quill stokes. They are practically perfect."

"Do you suppose the museum wants to display them?"

"It would be an honour." Lucy said but wouldn't dare to hope. "I doubt it though. These are based after Muggle works."

"However did you ever find time to do something like this?"

"Severus…this is the type of thing I used to do with my spare time when I left home to study."

"This was your idea of fun?"

"When I was alone…yes it was."

It boggled Severus' mind the amount of dedication Lucy need to complete this work. And he thought himself obsessive when it came to potions.

Severus wondered if she missed it. He found that at times, he missed his private potions experimenting. But he now knew that was the time he was lacking something in his life and he needed the obsession to fill the void. Raising Harry had quelled the obsession for the most part. But sometimes he really did miss that freedom.

The next couple of hours, Lucy spent going over the pages of manuscript with Severus. Harry had fallen asleep and Severus placed him on the sofa and he took a place on the floor next to Lucy. Thor had come out of her hiding place and tucked herself into the bend of Lucy's knees and fell asleep.

Severus had lost interest in the artwork itself long ago, but instead hung on Lucy's every word as she went into minute detail behind every stroke.

She sounded as though she were telling a love story. In one very real sense, she was.

The End.
Meet the O'Conners (or Pig in a Pen) by missyanne
Author's Notes:
Lucy's faimily comes for a brief visit...And who is this mysterious Alf?

***26, September, 1986***

Harry was sitting in his bath. The bubbles were almost gone, but he had not even bothered to wash yet. He wasn't in a good mood. He had fallen asleep last night at Miss Lucy's and he didn't know if Daddy had kissed her yet. It was enough to drive his six year old brain to distraction. He splashed the few remaining bubbles in frustration.

"Harry…what are you doing?" Severus put his head around the bathroom door. His lips pursed with annoyance when he noticed Harry's hair was barely wet. "Harry, have you even picked up the flannel?"

Harry saw his daddy come in and figured he better start washing himself before Daddy came in and did it for him. "Um…yes sir," he said as he hurriedly began to wash his face.

But it was too late. His daddy had already removed his frockcoat and began rolling up his sleeves. He knelt down next to the tub and grabbed the bottle of no-tear shampoo that was sitting on the edge. Harry decided he better duck his head under the water before his daddy did.

Harry squinched his eyes tight. He didn't buy that 'no-tears' guff about the shampoo, and his daddy would add a lot.


"Honestly, Harry…you're turning into a prune. You're old enough to do this yourself. Why must you insist on dawdling?"

Severus had to stop for a moment. Somehow, a memory of his mother saying the same thing had sprung to mind. "Merlin…I sound like my mother," he muttered.

"I was wondering something."

"What were you wondering?" Severus inquired as he lathered Harry's head.

"Did you kiss Miss Lucy last night?"

Severus was abashed. "Harry Potter! What an impertinent question."

"Well did you?"

Severus continued to lather Harry's head. He could hardly believe the boys cheek. "Rinse, Harry," he finally said.

Harry pinched his nose and obliged, but when he came back up he asked again. "Did you?"

"Not that it is any of your business, but of course not."

"Why not?" Harry asked as he began washing his limbs with the soap and flannel. "Don't you fancy her?"

"Of cour…where did you come up with these notions?" Severus shook his head. He almost said too much.

"Well, Fred and George said when a bloke fancies a girl, he should kiss her."

"Of course they would," Severus said dryly as he took towel from the rack and placed it over his knees. "Harry, a gentleman does not go around kissing every girl they fancy."

Harry arose from the tub, dripping wet in his nakedness."Do you fancy more than one girl?"

Severus reached for his wand he had set aside with his coat and emptied the tub. "No. I don't fancy more than one girl." he said irritably. He put his wand back down, then began rubbing Harry's head dry.

"Then you only fancy Miss Lucy."

Severus sighed and wrapped the towel around his boy then marched him into his bedroom. The child was too perceptive for Severus' own good. "Harry, do you have a point?"

"I think you should kiss her."

Well, if that wasn't straight and to the point, Severus didn't know what was.

***2 October, 1986***

The week had been a whirlwind. At least it was for Lucy. Saturday had been her outing to the Callanish Stone with the third through fifth years. The day had gone relatively well until a fifth year Gryffindor boy and his girlfriend had gone off on their own into the burial chamber to make out. Lucy hated having to give them detention. Not because she felt any sympathy for them, but it cut into her time helping Pawpaw get ready for the family visit.

She had spent most of her free time after classes in Hogsmead in order to help Pawpaw prepare the living quarters for their family's arrival. They opened up every window, chased out every cobweb and scrubbed the living quarters and guest rooms of the Hog's Head from pillar to post.

Lucy found herself taking more breaks than she would have cared for. But between having to frequently pee and just being plain old tired, she needed them. Being as small as she was, her pregnancy would be obvious soon. She was only now approaching the end of her first trimester, but Lucy was afraid she was going to look as though she swallowed a Quaffle before too long.

The one thing this past week had ensured, she was going to have to make a decision soon about what she intended to do with her life. Kenneth's trial was set for November 19th. She figured that was a long time to wait, but he could rot as far as she cared.

Zebadiah Wodworth's offer had her intrigued. He was the manuscript curator for the British Museum of Magical History. He had been awed by Lucy's reproductions, her skill and her dedication to detail. What he had offered her was no less than the chance of a lifetime. It would definitely mean staying in the Isles. The responsibility was unphantomable. The work would take years, possibly decades to complete. It was an offer she could not take lightly and it had to be carefully considered.

Had she not been expecting a child, she would have accepted on the spot. After all, she had no illusions that a chance like this would ever come her way again, but she could not put her full effort into it for a couple more years. At least not until the baby was weaned.

"Are you alright there, girl?" Aberforth asked as he came in the bedroom with an armful of fresh linens.

"Just getting tired…are you sure you don't want me to at least take Mama and Daddy. After you put up Allen and Alf too, you won't have any room for paying guests." She arose from the chair she was sitting in to help Pawpaw tuck in sheets.

"Well, it's not as though I have them beating my door down to stay overnight, now is it?"

"Speaking of guests, you'll need to go down and help Cora soon." It wasn't that the Hogs Head would exactly have a dinner crowd. It was just that crowd became dodgier as the evening progressed and it would not do to have a single barmaid working alone.

Aberforth looked around the room and approved. "I think I'm ready for my company. Will you be alright getting back to Hogwarts? I can ask Ol' Jack to see you back."

"I'll be fine Pawpaw…it's still early. I'll make it back before sundown." Lucy had taken to walking lately. Apparating or taking the Floo was disorienting enough in the best of circumstances. She found it was exponentially worse when one was pregnant.

Aberforth followed her down the stairs. "Just keep your wand handy…I don't like the idea of you walking alone at night."

Lucy leaned over and kissed her Pawpaw on the cheek. "Pawpaw, I've been walking this route every evening. I'll be fine."

Lucy was true to her word. She made it back to the gates just before sunset. She could see off in the distance one of the Quidditch teams practicing. There were students still outside enjoying the crisp autumn air that had finally made its appearance and she drew her heavy cloak closer around her. The leaves on the trees would hit their peak colours in another week or two.

She was in half a mind to see if Severus and Harry were over at the Quidditch practice. The child usually managed to drag Severus out for an hour or so in the evenings.

Lucy stopped and sat on a stone wall and thought better of it. Not only was she very tired, she didn't want to encroach on Severus' private time with his son. That is how she saw Harry…as Severus' son. Technically, Severus only had guardianship of Harry, but Lucy was thinking that the man really ought to adopt the boy out-right. She had seen parents and children bonded by blood who would never be so close.

Lucy felt her womb. She still was not noticeably pregnant, but she could tell she would be soon. She thought that although the baby's father was a piece of…work, she would definitely be surrounded by love. Lucy would be a fiercely loving and protective mother, and her family would always be right there for them.

Which brought Lucy back to her conundrum. What to do about Wodworth's offer? She really wanted to accept it, but that would mean being an ocean away from her parents and siblings. Yes she had Pawpaw, Uncle Albus, and even Severus. But Pawpaw and Uncle Albus were not exactly spring chickens and Severus had his own responsibilities with Harry.

Deep down, a part of Lucy hoped that perhaps Severus would…but she would dash the thought out of her head before it could fully form. She would not give herself the opportunity to dream. Not that one.

***3 October, 1986***

The owl had come that afternoon. They were there, at the Hog's Head.

Lucy was heading back down, this time, with Severus, Harry and Albus. The only time Albus would visit the Hog's Head was when Esther visited with family.

High up on the hill, they could hear it...the music. It was obvious that Allen had not only brought his guitar. "I do believe your father brought his banjo," Albus commented. "Harry…Severus, you're in for a real treat."

Lucy's father was born and raised in blue grass country. Close enough that Ohio, Kentucky and West Virginia could have a spitting contest across the Ohio River.

Lucy could hardly keep herself from running down the hill. But she was holding Harry's hand along with Severus and conceded that his little legs would never keep up.

"If your brother is on the guitar and your father the banjo, who's playing the violin?" Severus asked.

"Severus…that is no violin," Lucy admonished. "That is a fiddle, and it most likely belongs to Alf." Alf had once confided that he wanted to be a concert violinist but he couldn't because once he began missing concerts during the full moon his 'fury little problem' would become obvious.

"What's a fiddle?" asked Harry.

"A fiddle is a fast talking violin," Lucy proudly told Harry.

Harry continued to inquirer. "Is there a difference between a fiddle and a violin?"

Lucy laughed, "Only about three thousand dollars."


When the group was finally in sight of Aberforth's pub, the 'Foggy Mountain Breakdown' had ended and Lucy heard her Daddy break out singing 'Mountain Dew'. What had astonished them all was the crowd that had gathered at the Hog's Head. The Three Broomsticks had to be deserted. It looked like every person in the village was at Aberforth's door tonight. Lucy had to usher everyone through the back because it was standing room only at the front.

"Do you see them?" Severus said as he scanned the crowd. He picked up Harry so he wouldn't lose him. Severus was looking for Aberforth. At least he would recognise him. He spotted who he assumed to be the famous Dr. Richard O'Conner, An unassuming gentleman with salt and pepper hair. He was wearing dark glasses and playing a banjo like a mad hatter. Could that really be the Potion Master's Potion Master?

Most of the pub had been cleared of tables as people were laughing and dancing.

Well my Uncle Nort, he was sawed off and short
measured 'bout five foot two
but he felt like a giant when he got him a pint
of that good ol' mountain dew…

Severus noticed the rest of the make shift band. A young man with Lucy's hair colour and eyes playing a twelve string guitar, he had at least a foot and maybe seven stone on his older sister. A local had joined in with his bodhrán. Severus could not see the 'fiddle player' very well. He could only see sandy hair, yet he seemed somehow very familiar.

"There's Mama!" Lucy shouted. Severus watched as Lucy pushed her way through the crowd. A stout, yet very pretty older witch was helping Aberforth serve drinks to his unexpected crowd. She made her tray disappear at the sight of Lucy.

She could be Lucy if Lucy were twenty years older and bore five children. Considering Mrs. O'Conner was at least thirty years older than Lucy, Severus figured Lucy had nothing to worry about as far as aging was concerned.


"There's a lot of people in here, Daddy," Harry had to yell in his daddy's ear.

There were almost a hundred people gathered in and around the little pub to listen to the foreigners play. Harry was staring in wide wonder. He and his daddy had come to visit Mr. Dumbledore few times, but Harry never saw this many people here. There were even other little kids with their parents. It was like a big neighbourhood party.


Severus jerked his head at Harry, yelling directly into his ear. He nodded in agreement with Harry.

Severus could not hear the joyous reunion between mother and daughter, but he could see it. It was a tearful embrace, but a happy one. He could see Mrs. O'Conner tuck a stray strand of hair behind her youngest daughter's ear as she said something and kissed her on the cheek. Aberforth came over and spoke into Mrs. O'Conner's ear. Lucy's mother looked like she was about to protest something, but Aberforth was pointing at the only empty booth. It had obviously been warded and was awaiting Lucy's arrival. Aberforth was insistent and ushered his granddaughter and great-granddaughter over and he went back to work. Lucy nodded. Mrs. O'Conner then pointed to the players and motioned for Lucy to sit down.

Before she did so, Lucy looked about and spotted Severus, Harry and Albus. She said something to her mother and gestured for her companions to join them.

"Come along, Severus. I want to ask Esther and Lucy for a dance before Richard and Allen stop playing," Albus goaded as he lightly pushed Severus through the crowd.

The trio jostled their way to the booth. It was a large one shaped like a horseshoe. Lucy and Mrs. O'Conner's back were to them. Severus stopped at the table and Albus tapped his niece on the shoulder.

Mrs. O'Conner turned around. "Uncle Al!" she arose and hugged Albus.

Lucy was sitting on the opposite side of her mother. She reached out and touched her mother's arm. "Mama…You haven't met Severus and his godson Harry." She had to speak loudly so her mother could hear over the pub noise.

Mrs. O'Conner took Severus' free hand and clasped it between hers. "Severus…It is so good to finally meet you. From what Lucy tells me you received my replies." Her Carolinian accent was slightly stronger than Lucy's. Severus thought it was charmingly lyrical.

"Yes…thank you Mrs. O'Conner." Severus had to lean forward in order to be heard. "The house elves were able to follow your instructions after a couple of false starts. How much do I owe you for shipping the grits?"

"Not a cent. And please, call me Esther. You're among friends," she offered the opposite side of the booth. "Harry, would you care for some pumpkin juice?"

Harry looked at his daddy. His daddy said it was okay and Harry answered back "Yes…thank you, Miss Esther."

Severus and Harry slid into the booth and Esther said, "You have a sweet boy, Severus."

Before Severus could answer Albus asked Esther "My dear, would you care for a dance?"

Right about that time, the song had changed to 'Uncle Pen'. Esther offered up her hands. "What are you waiting for?" Then Albus whirled her around the room and they were lost in a sea of dancing.

Severus and Lucy leaned into the table so they could hear each other talk. "You did not mention your father played as well." Severus almost had to yell over the din.

"I told you that my grandpa taught his kids and grandkids, Daddy qualifies as the former."

Aberforth stopped by the table and sat a glass of water and goat's milk in front of Lucy. "I know you're not terribly fond a goat's milk, but it's good for you," he said to Lucy. Lucy groused, but dutifully drank the milk. "Will you be having ale, Severus?"

"Just one and a pumpkin juice for Harry." Aberforth went to get their order. Severus looked across the room and saw Esther say a quick word to her husband during the instrumental interlude. Dr. O'Conner was bending his ear to his wife yet never missed a cord. It was then that Severus had a good look at the violinist for the first time, "Merlin's Bollocks!"

"Daddy!" Harry snickered.


"Severus…You look like you've seen a ghost." Severus' profanity took her by surprise. He rarely swore and never in front of Harry.

"I have…the violinist…"

"Alf…you know Alf?"

"Lupin…Remus Lupin."

Lucy looked taken aback. She thought Alf had been bitten as a child. Now she wondered if he was born a werewolf, or perhaps one of his parents was a seer.

"You're kidding right? Remus Lupin? What an apropos name. Are you friends?"

"Hardly."

"Oh." Lucy did not press for details.

Remus Lupin was in a world of his own. If he had been playing any faster, his violin would probably begin to smoke from the friction of bow to string.

The music stopped and Dr. O'Conner shouted over the crowd. "Where's my little Lucy?"

The customers took advantage of the break to get their drinks. Aberforth's two barmaids and part time bartender were swamped.

Lucy got up and made her way through the crowd. "Here I am, Daddy." The reunion was every bit as touching as it was with her mother. After the initial embrace, Dr. O'Conner took his daughter's face in his hands. Lucy stood still as his sensitive fingers brushed across her brow, her nose, then lingered across the watery smile on her lips.

"There's my pretty girl," he whispered before he kissed her cheek.

"Hey, don't your little brother get a hug?" Allen's accent was every bit as thick as his mother's. Upon hearing him speak for the first time, a stranger may not realise he held an IQ of 155.

Lucy's 'little' brother stood up to his whole six foot three and engulfed his 'big' sister with his embrace. "Hey…I have to pee enough without you squeezing it out of me."

Allen eyes were filled with concern for his sister. "How are you doin', Big Sister." he looked at Lucy's slightly thickened waistline. "Do you need me to kick anybody's ass for you?"

"I'm fine, Little Brother. And I'm perfectly capable of kicking 'somebody's ass' should the need arise."

Lucy and Allen had resorted to calling each other 'Little Brother' and 'Big Sister' ever since Allen hit his growth spurt. The irony of the little brother being twice the size of his big sister had not escaped them. In fact, not only was Allen the youngest, he was the largest of all the O'Conner siblings.

Lucy then looked over to Remus. "Alf…I think I brought an old 'friend' of yours."

"Who?" Remus asked. His eyes scoured the room until he spotted Esther sitting with the headmaster and…"Severus Snape?" he swallowed hard when he saw the little doppelganger of James Potter sitting next to Severus.

Before Lucy could answer, her father asked "Severus Snape? I want to meet that boy."

"Hold on there, Papa. We can't go off talking potions without playing one for Lucy," Allen reminded their father.

Lucy grinned slyly. "I'm in the mood for a 'love song'. How fast can you saw that fiddle, Alf?"

Remus grinned right back, "In half if need be."

"Don't worry, Big Sister. Remy can keep up. What do you want to hear?"

"Ohh…'Pig in a Pen'," she said in an 'innocent' sugary voice.

"I hope you can keep up, Remy." Dr. O'Conner said as he pretended to fan off his clawhammer banjo.

"You two just worry about yourselves, Doc," Remus said as he took his resin from his case.

"How 'bout you Jack?" Lucy asked the quite, gruff man seated behind her family. He was one of Pawpaw's regulars and never said much. He simply grunted and nodded.

"He'll know what to do once we get started. Now go fetch your partner, Big Sister," Allen laughed as he picked up his prized Gibson.

The musicians began to ready their instruments for the challenge Lucy had set forth. Customers gathered around in anticipation of what the Americans had to offer next.

When Lucy got back to the table, her mother and Severus were in deep conversation. Harry was up on his knees looking over the back of the booth at the goings on.

"Lucy…I believe it is your turn," Albus said as he arose from the booth.

"I think you can keep up Uncle Albus."

Just then, the break neck rhythm of the banjo, guitar, and fiddle filled the air. It took a few bars before the Jack could keep in time with his bodhrán. Allen's high tenor voice broke in and Albus had Lucy spinning around the floor.

I got a pig at home in a pen
and corn to feed him on,
all I need's a pretty little girl
to feed him when I'm gone…

"Don't that make you wanna just go out and kiss a girl?" Allen shouted.

Albus and Lucy were swirling around the floor with about ten other couples. Lucy was laughing and thoroughly enjoying herself. Remus was indeed keeping up with her father and brother.

After their second time around the floor, Albus noticed Severus tapping his foot in time. He also noticed Harry looking anxious. Uncle Albus could almost see what Harry was planning. As they swept past the booth, Albus grabbed Severus' by the arm as Harry simultaneously pushed him from the booth.

Goin' up a mountain top
to sow a little cane
raise a barrel of sorghum
Little Liza Jane…

I got a pig at home in a pen
and corn to feed him on,
all I need's a pretty little girl
to feed him when I'm gone…

Severus had suddenly found himself with his arms around Lucy. Lucy looked just as stunned to find herself suddenly with a new dance partner. The miraculous part was they never missed a step. Lucy threw her head back and laughed, her face flushed with excitement.  Her hair was whipping through the air and her turquoise eyes were snapping. Severus couldn't help but to smile. He had never seen her so happy.

Yonder comes that gal o' mine
how do ya think I know,
Know her by that gingham gown
hangin' down so low…

I got a pig at home in a pen
and corn to feed him on,
all I need's a pretty little girl
to feed him when I'm gone…

The musicians were playing so fast, one could almost see the smoke rise from their instruments. Some of the dancers had already quit. The pace was too exhausting. But Lucy was dancing fuelled by the adrenaline of being with her family and being in the arms of the man she lo…highly esteemed.

Something caught Lucy's attention. She tapped Severus' shoulder and pointed that he should look behind him. Harry had found himself a little dancing partner, a little girl about his age with brown hair and pink ribbons. They were more like trying to keep from stepping on each other's toes than actually dancing, but they were having fun nonetheless.

Both of Severus' eyebrows rose at once. He was afraid he was going to have a little girl chaser on his hands. As he and Lucy spun around the floor, they kept craning their necks to watch Harry's escapades.

Dark clouds arising
surely a sign of rain
Put your grey bonnet on
little Liza Jane…

I got a pig at home in a pen
and corn to feed him on,
all I need's a pretty little girl
to feed him when I'm gone…


 

Remus Lupin had been watching the couple as he played. If he wasn't seeing it for himself he wouldn't believe it. Was that laughing, carefree man dancing with a pretty girl really Severus Snape?

Remus recalled that Lily had mentioned that Severus learned to dance one summer because she wanted to enter a dance contest at a summer fair. Remus thought she had lied to make Severus look better in the eyes of the Marauders.

When the hell did he change from the brooding and bitter teen that Remus had known. Even before his estrangement with Lily, Severus Snape had never been so…well…normal? The man he saw now was confident and happy. When did this happen?

From the looks of it, Severus was taking care of little Harry. The inconceivable part was that Harry looked like he was happy with Severus. In fact, there was Harry, out on the floor with his own little dance partner.

Oh, how Harry looked like James. Remus wondered if there was an earthquake registering in Godric's Hallow right now. James must be rolling in his grave.

Bake them biscuits, Baby
Bake um' good n brown
when you get those biscuits baked
we're Alabamy bound…

I got a pig at home in a pen
and corn to feed him on,
all I need's a pretty little girl
to feed him when I'm gone…


 

Allen finally finished the final verse and stuck the final cord. The pub erupted with thunderous cheering and applause.

Lucy put her two pinky fingers between her teeth and blew whistles. Severus was clapping for the musicians as well. They were both breathing heavily from the exertion. Lucy briefly pressed her head against Severus' arm, as if needing the temporary support. She tapped his chest twice and said, "Wow Severus…wow."

Severus offered Lucy his arm. She took it and he escorted her back to the table.

They stopped short when they saw Harry lean forward and kiss his dance partner on the cheek. The little girl's jaw dropped as she clasped her cheeks. She ran off to hide in the protection of her mummy's robes.

Severus and Lucy looked at each other, trying to stifle their laughter.

When they arrived at the table, Harry looked put out. "Why did she run away?"

Severus patted Harry on the bum so he would move. "I told you a gentleman does not go around kissing every girl he fancies."

Albus was sitting on one end with Esther on the other side of him. Harry had scooted around the booth all the way over to her other side. "Sit next to me Miss Lucy." Lucy slid in next to Harry and Severus had to sit close beside her.

Severus had a feeling that this was planned between the headmaster and a certain little boy, just like his hijacking. Not that Severus minded in the least. He was actually proud of Harry and the little Slytherin he was becoming.

The musicians had packed up their instruments. Dr. O'Conner had Vanished his and Allen's instruments to their respective rooms. Remus took care of his own. Dr. O'Conner and Allen came to the table. Dr. O'Conner had his hand lightly on his son's arm. Remus had disappeared.

Lucy made the formal introductions. "Daddy…Allen, I'd like you to meet my friend and colleague, Severus Snape and his godson, Harry."

Dr. O'Conner put his hand out to Severus as naturally as if he had seen Severus with his eyes. He had heard the younger man's breathing from beside his daughter. He could also detect the faint sent of potions that emitted from him. "Severus Snape…I've been waiting to meet you for quite a while." Dr. O'Conner's voice did not have the soft, lyrical quality of his wife's and childern's. But rather, it was somewhat nasal, indicating he originaly hailed from a different region in their country than his wife.

Severus stood and returned Dr. O'Conner's firm handshake. He swallowed hard. What had Lucy written about him to her parents? What interest would a world renowned Potion's Master have in a mere boarding school teacher? "Dr. O'Conner. I am honoured."

Lucy gave Severus a playful swat on his back. "Oh Severus, cut the formality. It's only Daddy."

Severus looked down at Lucy. Now the lump in his throat was so big he couldn't swallow. He wasn't meeting the great Richard O'Conner. He was meeting Lucy's father. Severus' tension level went up tenfold.

For the first time since Severus could remember, he felt the need to loosen the top button of his shirt in public. He was hotter now than he was when he was dancing.

"Sir," was all Severus could manage the second time out.

"Darling, why don't ya'll sit down?" Esther suggested. She saw that Severus was overly nervous and took pity on the young man.

"Don't worry boy. I don't bite. And the name is Richard," he said good naturedly as he patted Severus on the shoulder. "I hear your little one sitting between Lucy and Esther," he said as everyone filled into the booth.

"Yes, Sir," Harry piped up.

"I see that you enjoyed the music, Harry," Allen commented.

"Yes sir. I liked the song about the pig."

Richard threw back a hardily "That was Lucy's favourite when she was little…she used to beg my dad 'Play the 'piggy song' grandpa, play the 'piggy song'."

Lucy gritted her teeth in ebarasment. "Daddy…must you?"

Harry giggled.

"Richard…where did young Remus fly off too?" Albus inquired.

"He went up to his room. Actually, I'm surprised he stayed up this long. The full moon is next week. He started taking the potion this morning."

"Are you referring to the fatigue?" Severus normally would not have cared about Remus Lupin's personal well-being. However, the man was part of a ground-breaking experiment, and Severus wanted to learn all he could from the genius behind it. He was willing to overlook old animosities for the sake of discovery.


Mrs. O'Conner rolled her eyes. The men had already started into a detailed discussion. It wasn't that Mrs. O'Conner hadn't any interest in the topic herself, but her concerns were set more on her daughter.

"Lucy why don't we go upstairs and discuss some things in private," Esther suggested.


Albus got up from his end of the booth and let the ladies out. Severus watched the two women ascend the stairs while Harry settled in on his lap. He was glad for Lucy that her parents were here, especially Esther. Sometimes, a girl just needed her mum.


Esther followed Lucy into their chamber. As soon as she shut the door, Lucy turned around and flung herself into her mother's arms. "I'm sorry Mama…I'm so sorry…," she shuddered as she cried into her mama's shoulder.

Esther stroked her youngest daughter's hair. She was rocking Lucy as she held her. "Oh, Baby…Don't be sorry. You have nothing to be sorry for."

Lucy lifted her head and wiped the tears away with the side of her hand. "Yes I do mama." she nodded. "I fell for some sweet talking man and let him drag me 4000 miles away from home. Then I go and shame you and Daddy by getting pregnant before I'm married and worst of all, the man I once loved turns out to be some sort of…sociopath."

"Lucy…sit down," her mother said gently.

Lucy sat on the couch in front of the fireplace, looking very much like the penitent child she felt she was.

Esther sat down next to her child. Lucy scooted closer and put her head on her mother's shoulder. "Lucy…I want you to listen to me," Esther began. "Your father and I have always been very proud of you, and we still are."

"But Mama…"

"I said listen," Esther softly admonished. "No one can fault you for following your fiancé. My mama did the very same thing. She followed my daddy back to Charleston. As much as parents don't like to think about it, our babies grow up and move on to lives of their own. And there is no shame in your being pregnant…not on your part. The shame is Kenneth's for deceiving you and trying…" Esther pulled Lucy closer to her. "He didn't hurt you…did he, Baby?"

"No Mama…at least not physically."

"From what I understand you had some help coping with the emotional hurt as well?"

Lucy nodded. "Yes, I had Pawpaw and Se…"

"Severus," Esther finished. "I believe that young man cares a great deal for you."

"He's my friend."

"Your…best friend?"

"I suppose."

"You more than suppose…A wizard doesn't send a letter 4000 miles overnight for recipes if he doesn't feel more than friendship."

Lucy looked up at her mother. "He sent it overnight?"

"Yes, while you were up talking to your daddy, he told me it took the house elves nearly a week to perfect the grits."

Lucy chuckled at that. She still couldn't make grits. When she made them, they came out more like construction mortar. But she couldn't think about the art and science of grit making right now. She needed to stop her mother from her train of thought. "Mama…I think I know what you're trying to say, but please don't. I'm already regretting asking Severus to be the godfather."

'Why ever for?"

"He is raising Harry Potter. Raising any child is hard enough, but as time passes, the scrutiny and pressure he will come under is bound to build. He doesn't need my mixed up life to complicate things. Let's face it Mama…I'm damaged goods."

Esther's soft expression changed to one of anger. "Lucile Mary O'Conner! Don't you dare think like that! You are an intelligent, beautiful young woman with her whole life ahead of her. You deserve to be happy. Besides, I think it is up to Severus to decide what he needs and doesn't need…isn't it?"

Lucy sniffed, "But Mama, what if everything goes wrong again?"

Esther closed her eyes and gently kissed Lucy on the forehead. "Well baby…that's the thing about Love. It's the one thing in the world that's worth risking everything for, because once you find it…the mistakes of the past become just that…the past. And you do love him…don't you?"

This time Lucy closed her eyes, looking for the strength within to admit the truth. "Yes Mama…I think I do."

***4, October, 1986***

Four men were sitting in Severus' office stuffing their faces with sandwiches. It had been an exciting day and they were taking a well deserved break. Allen had come up with the idea of incorporating Severus' pain potion into the improved Wolfsbane potion. At the moment, it was impossible because there was no way to stabilise the asphodel when the willow was added. Willow had to be added at a certain temperature ant that temperature was too high for the asphodel to keep its potency. They had tried a couple of experiments, but they had failed. But that was to be expected. Failure was part of the learning process.

Remus was ecstatic over the idea. There was one drawback with keeping ones human faculties during The Change. One tended to remember the pain of transformation. The pain was similar to the Cruciatus curse. If that pain could be alleviated….

But right now it was only a theory on paper, but one both Potion Masters promised to work on. Richard and Severus had both agreed that if a breakthrough were made, they would publish jointly.

It was an agreeable way to spend the day whilst the ladies went shopping for Lucy's maternity clothes. They had taken Harry with them.

Although the truce between Severus and Remus was a bit awkward, they did manage to keep civil tongues in their heads.

Severus had managed to regale his story of how he came to be Harry's guardian, and Remus enlightened him on how he came upon the O'Conners.

"Albus sent you to Ohio?" Severus asked.

"Yes…he heard that Doc was interviewing candidates for the potions initial trial." Remus said, then took a bite of sandwich.

Severus tried to be non chalant with his next question. "How did you meet Lucy?"

Remus took a swig of ale to wash down his food then swallowed. "We were waiting in Doc's reception area. I had no idea she was the professor's daughter and she had no idea I was a potential patient."

"Yes, Remy was a little heartbroken to find that out," said Allen. "I think he kind of took to her, but we couldn't maintain objectivity if a patient was dating the researcher's daughter," he kidded. "We didn't start hangin' out until after the study was done."

"It was not like that at all," Remus protested. "Besides, I think between teaching and her research, she had no time for socialising…I actually only saw her maybe three or four times after that."

Dr. O'Conner had been listening quietly to the conversation. His question hit Severus like a punch in the gut. "Severus…What are your intentions with my Lucy?"

Remus and Allen both stopped chewing their food and stared at Severus, waiting for his answer.

Severus put down the drink he had in his hand. He stood up tall and straight and answered, "Honourable, Sir."

Dr. O'Conner grinned, "That's all I need to know," and took a bite from his sandwich.

***7 October, 1986***

No matter how much Lucy tried to deny it, the end was near. The shattering of stone was still ringing in her ears.

"Honestly Severus, an unprovoked attack on the clergy." Severus' black knight had just pulverized Lucy's white bishop.

"He was in my way." Between Severus' queen and rook, it was only a matter of time before Lucy's king was cornered.

"Well, it still can't be good for your soul."

"I'll take my chances."

Lucy's eyes scanned the board. Depending upon where she moved her rook, she had three or five moves left before Severus captured her king. She was done for.

Rather than prolong the pain, she laid down her king.

"I bow down to your superior stratagem," Lucy said as she arose from her chair.

"No…," cried Filius from the corner. He was out seventy-five Galleons.

"I didn't tell you to bet on me. Pawpaw may have taught me to play chess, that does not mean I ever beat him or Uncle Albus."

Lucy went over to Severus' side, bent over and gave him a peck on the cheek. "There is your victory prize."

Severus looked up at her and raised an eyebrow. "What do you say to raising the stakes and going best two out of three?"

Lucy crossed her arms. "What did you have in mind?"

"If you win, I owe you dinner and dancing…If I win, you accompany me to dinner and dancing."

"Best two out of three…the baby will be attending Hogwarts by then," Lucy smirked. "Why don't you just cut the crap and ask me out?"

Severus stood up and looked into her eyes. "Would you like to join me for dinner and dancing this Friday night?"

Lucy caught her breath as she stared back at him. "I'd love to."

The mood was broken when Filius jumped up and squeaked "Yippee!" as he ran out of the room to find Minerva.

This time they both raised their eyebrows. They couldn't help but laugh.

The End.
End Notes:
Okay…credit where credit is due…

Foggy Mountain Breakdown… by Earl Scruggs

Mountain Dew…by Grandpa Jones

Uncle Pen…by Bill Monroe

Pig in a Pen…by Ralph and Carter Stanley
'Witchcraft' by missyanne
Author's Notes:
I need to give a little info so you know how to follow the dialogue. When you see bold italics, a certain someone is singing to another certain someone along with a recording. When you see plain italics, it is simply the recording.

Warning: Mild sexual imagery in this chapter.

***7 October, 1986- 5:22 p.m. ***

Severus warded his classroom for the night and strode to his private chambers. He need to Floo over to the Weasley's and pick up Harry.

He was of two minds. He was ecstatic that Lucy had actually accepted his request for a private evening, and he was nervous as hell because Lucy had actually accepted his request for a private evening.

Now What? Severus hadn't really been thinking when he asked Lucy out. The question had simply left his lips.

What was he going to do with Harry? Severus had not even thought about acquiring a baby-sitter and he did not want to simply assume Molly would do it. He would need to ask.

Severus supposed that Aberforth might be so inclined, but Severus did not relish the idea of Harry being amongst the Hog's Head's regular Friday night patrons. Severus supposed if worse came to worse he could always ask Filius. Oh yes, Severus had become aware of the wager between the Heads of Gryffindor and Ravenclaw. If Filius intended to win that wager, he would watch Harry if it came right down to it.

Severus went into his chamber and removed his teaching robes. He sat down by the chair next to the fire so he could gather his thoughts.

He had only been on one official date in his entire life, and that had been as a teenager when he and Lily decided that they might as well try. It had been terrifically awkward for them both. Neither one of them knew what to say to one another. As much as Severus would have liked to have moved beyond the boundaries of mere friendship, it was obvious that Lily had not returned his affections in kind.

Over the years Severus had a couple of very casual relationships with other witches, but they were nothing more than a physical release.

Lucy was different from them all.

Lucy was the first time Severus had sought a meaningful relationship with an adult witch as it was the first time Severus had desired such a relationship. And undertaking a relationship with Lucy was going to be different from anything he had done before. Lucy and Severus were both adults with lives of their own that could not be easily dismissed.

Simply going on a date with Lucy was a step that Severus could not take lightly. There were more than their lives and feelings at stake. Their children must also be taken into consideration.

Lucy was pregnant with another man's child, the irony of which had not escaped Severus. If things progressed with Lucy as Severus hoped they might, he had to face the realisation that he would be father to yet another child he had not sired. But strange enough, that did not concern or upset Severus in the least. If he wanted to be with Lucy, he had to accept her child, in the same way that Lucy had to accept Harry if she wished to be with Severus. There were no grounds for compromise on that point for either of them. It was something that they both silently understood.

But these musings did nothing to bring closer to his problems at hand. Where Harry would stay that night and where would Severus take Lucy?

This evening Molly had invited Severus and Harry to stay for supper. As Lucy was dining with her family one last time before they left for Luxemburg, Severus was obliged to accept rather than see the empty chair next to his at the head table again.


 

After supper Harry had gone upstairs with the Weasley children to play whilst the adults talked.

"Of course we'll be delighted to have Harry this weekend," said Molly as she knitted. "The children have been on to me about it for over a week now."

"Have they?" Severus said with an air of suspicion.

"Yes."

"Severus, where do you plan to take Lucy?" Arthur asked.

Severus tried to hide his embarrassment. "To be honest, I have no idea. I was hoping to take her dinner and dancing."

Molly plopped her knitting on her lap. "Mystics…You simply must take her to Mystics."

Arthur noted the confused look on the younger man's face. "Mystics is a wizarding dance club in London," Arthur explained. "Very posh…,incredibly romantic. I would take Molly there on occasion when we young."

Of course the money Arthur made would have gone much further without nine mouths to feed, Severus thought. But despite the scarcity, the Weasley household was by far the richest Severus could think of.

"I shall see about reservations," Severus said as he began to arise from his chair.

Arthur arose from his chair as well, "Before you leave Severus, join me out in my shed for a moment."

"I'll get Harry ready," Molly offered.

Severus followed Arthur into the garden and out to his aluminium work shed. The light from Arthur's wand provided the only illumination on the chilly overcast night.

When they entered the shed, Arthur passed his hand over a wall panel and light flooded his work area.

To most, it would look like a Muggle junk yard. To Arthur, it was his treasure trove. Severus was curious as to what Arthur could possibly want to show him in here.

Arthur went over to the far wall and pulled a brown case down from a shelf and wiped the dust off. He then scanned a shelf that seemed to be holding some form of files. When Arthur found what he was looking for, Severus could tell it was a vinyl album cover.

"Do you intend to invite Lucy to your quarters after you return?" Arthur asked casually.

Severus crossed his arms. He really hadn't thought about how they would end the evening. "What are you suggesting?"

"I'm not suggesting that you intend any impropriety," Arthur said in his defence. "You are both adults and what you do or don't do is your business. I was only suggesting a way to end the evening on a memorable note…as it were." Arthur put the album in Severus' hand. "Do you know what this is?"

"It is a record album. And I assume that is a turntable."

"Good, then I suppose I don't have to explain how to use them."

Severus gave Arthur an odd look. "I suggest this one," Arthur said as he pointed to number four.

Arthur chuckled at Severus' befuddlement as he picked up the turntable and they walked out of the shed. "Trust me Severus; I know a thing or two about romance. Why do you think I have seven children?"

***8 October, 1986***

Severus stopped and took a breath before he knocked on Minerva's office door. He had made an appointment with her that morning. Severus couldn't believe he was doing this. But Arthur was right, Severus wanted to make what he was hoping would be the first of many such evenings memorable, and he wanted some practice.

Severus had one hand tucked behind his robe and knocked on her door.

"Come in," Minerva said curtly. When Severus entered she looked up from her work. "Severus…to what do I owe this little visit."

Severus stepped forward and cleared his throat. "I have need of a witch with your particular…talent."

"Oh?" Minerva's curiosity was aroused. Although she was not well adept in potions, she could think of none that required transfigured ingredients.

Severus produced the album from behind his back. "I assume you have your old gramophone?"


Severus had already left as Minerva warded her classroom for the night.

She leaned her back against the cool stone and gave a heavy sigh. Perhaps she could back out of that bet with Filius.

One thing was certain. Severus had finally moved past Lily Evans. Minerva shook her head in disbelief and made her way to her private chambers. She needed a cold shower.

If Severus' dance moves were any indication, Lucy did not stand a chance. Severus could have seduced Minerva if he had tried.

***10 October, 1986-6:54 a.m. ***

Lucy was giving her family one final hug before the international portkey whisked them away to Luxemburg. As much as she wanted to be there with her father, she could not take the time off.

Even with her mother taking a prolonged leave of absence from her work when the baby was born to help out Lucy, Lucy would have to take her own leave of absence come spring. Unlike her mother, who had been at her job long enough to have accumulated personal time, Lucy did not have that luxury.

After a long heart to heart with her parents, Lucy had decided to stay at Hogwarts. She had told her parents about the opportunity that Wodsworth had offered her. Richard and Esther had agreed that Lucy could not let this chance of a lifetime slip away from her.

"Daddy, I'm sorry I can't be there," Lucy said as she pulled out of her father's embrace.

"I know you'll be there in spirit," Richard said as he ran his hands across his daughter's face one more time. "We'll be back for the baby's born," he assured her.

Lucy was next engulfed by her little brother. "Are you sure you don't want me to go to Azkaban and pulverize that m*ther f*cker for you, Big Sister?"

Lucy patted Allen on his broad shoulders. "That's quite alright, Little Brother. You would not find too much satisfaction in it after Kenneth's been exposed to the Dementors."

"Wanna bet."

This time Lucy turned to Remus. "Alf…I suppose I don't need to say goodbye to you."

"I'll see you next week Lucy," Remus said happily. Aberforth had offered him a job bartending, along with room and board. Now that the potion trials were done, Remus needed to get back into life. The O'Conner's had offered him a place, but Remus had decided that they had already done so much; he would not make himself a burden.

Lucy and her mother said goodbye last. "We'll see you again before you know it, Baby."

"I know, Mama."

Esther kissed Lucy on the cheek. "You're doing the right thing by staying, Lucy. You'd be regretting it the rest of your life if you did not," Esther was not only referring to Wodworth's offer. "Grandpa…you take care of my little girl."

Aberforth had said his goodbyes to the men and came over to his granddaughter. "Aye…I promise that," he said as he gave Esther a kiss on the forehead. "You lot better be for grabbin' that bottle. It's almost seven."

Aberforth and Lucy wrapped an arm around each other. There was on last chorus of goodbyes as the portkey activated and their family vanished in a vortex.

Lucy brushed back a stray tear. "I swear, I have been too damn emotional these last few months."

Aberforth walked with her back up to the school. "Well…it's not that surprisin'. You've had a difficult summer, as I recall. And my Ella was a regular waterworks when she was pregnant with your grandmother."

They walked to the gate in companionable silence until Aberforth said. "I understand young Severus finally has the courage to court you."

"I don't know if I would actually call it courting, Pawpaw…It's only one date."

"Of course it is."

Lucy could tell that Aberforth was simply being patronising. "However…if you should be so inclined," he continued, "I think you'll find yourself much happier than you ever would have been with Kenneth."

***6:15 p.m.***

For the first time in his life, Severus actually admired the refection that had looked back at him in the mirror.

He had never really had enough self esteem to actually care about his appearance until a year ago. When his application for Harry's guardianship was up for review last year, Severus had found it in his best interest to actually look presentable.

But he still had never given too much thought to whether or not he was attractive to someone else other than Lily.

Tonight, Severus cared a great deal.

When he had tied off his shoulder length black hair, he noticed that he had actually grown into his features. He would never be a pretty-boy like Lucius Malfoy or even Musgrave. Severus' countenance was more hardened. But it was by no means unattractive.

It was hard to know who was more excited about this night, Severus or Harry. Harry had actually come home just because he insisted on 'helping' his daddy get ready.

Harry was sitting on the edge of Severus' four poster bed, watching his godfather get ready whilst waiting for Mrs. Weasley to arrive and take him again for the evening.

"You look real nice," Harry said to his Daddy.

Severus turned his head from the mirror from where he was adjusting his black bowtie. "Do you really think so?"

"Uh-huh. I bet Miss Lucy will think so too."

"I hope so," Severus mumbled under his breath as he turned back to the mirror. After mucking around with his tie for another five minutes, he rolled his eyes back when he remembered there was actually a bloody spell for this.

"Are you going to kiss her tonight?"

Severus chucked in disbelief at Harry's audacity. "If I do, you will be the third to know."

Just then the Floo came to life in the sitting room. "That would be Mrs. Weasley, Harry. Please tell her to step through, I will be out momentarily."

"Okay" Harry said as he popped off the tall bed and went out to greet Molly.

Severus looked at himself in the full length mirror and straightened his lapel. His tuxedo did indeed fit his lean frame very well. He barely recognised the man before him. He turned on his heal and picked up a potion bottle from the table and put it in the inside pocket of his tuxedo jacket. He had brewed it to help Lucy's nausea from Apparating.

He took a cleansing breath to calm his nerves, the first of many he was sure he would take that night. Severus draped his formal silk cape over his arm, then shut the door to his bedchamber door and went to say goodnight to Harry before meeting his date.


It had never occurred to Severus how long the walk was from the dungeon to Lucy's chambers on the other side of the school. They were halfway up the west tower. The walk really wasn't all that far, it just seemed to be, as many students were still about and the double takes they had given the dour potion's master was rather unnerving.

Once he reached the west tower he was away from the unwanted scrutiny of students and peers. He decided to take the spiral stairs two at a time. Upon arriving at Lucy's door, Severus took a moment to compose himself, then knocked.


Lucy was biting her nails as she paced back and forth in front of her fireplace. She couldn't understand why she was so damn nervous. She was only waiting on Severus. Why did she feel like a teenager waiting on her prom date?

A knock on the door brought her out of her revere. Before she opened the door, she made sure that Thor was warded off in the kitchen to prevent any escape attempts.

Seeing that all was secure, Lucy steadied herself as she place her and on the doorknob. When she decided she could breathe again, she opened the door.

What greeted her took her breath away. "Severus…my…but you do look dashing this evening," he honestly did.

She stepped aside to let him in.

When she closed the door, he took her hand and kissed it. "You look lovely yourself," he said as his dark eyes glanced up at her.

Lucy swallowed hard. She hated to pull away from his touch, but she had to. "I only need to get my cloak and we can go."

 

Severus admired Lucy as she went to retrieve her cloak. She was indeed lovely this evening.

She was dressed in black. The shimmering silk blouse came down diagonally across her chest, exposing her left shoulder. The sleeve on her right arm was long and shear. Small rhinestones were interwoven into the chiffon fabric.

She wore a flowing pair of slacks of the same colour, draped with the same chiffon panels. It gave the illusion as if she were wearing a gown.

Her belly was only now beginning to show the faintest sign that she was pregnant. He golden hair cascaded across her bare shoulder in soft waves.

She was beautiful indeed

Lucy fastened her blood red velvet cloak around her neck and Severus extended his arm. "Shall we?"

She took his arm and as they left she said, "I wonder what the gossip is going to be tomorrow?"

"Who cares?" Severus said honestly.

By the time Severus and Lucy descended the tower, their initial nervousness was gone and they were engaged in easy conversation.

Neither paid heed to the hushed whispers or cared about the curious stares that followed them out of the castle.

***11:44p.m. ***

Two smiling figures popped into existence outside the school gates. Their arms were wrapped around one another.

Severus' bow tie was hanging loose around his collar. "Did the potion help?" he asked Lucy.

The gates opened before them and he escorted Lucy inside. "Actually, I tolerated it even better than before I was pregnant. I detected a tad more ginger in that potion."

"Fewer harmful side effects."

The night was chill and Severus pulled Lucy closer to his side as they walked on. The moon was waxing and shined hazily through the feathering clouds.

They stopped when they came to the castle's great doors. Severus cleared his throat "Would you care to join me for a drink before we retire?"

"That would be nice. I can have one glass of wine." Lucy said as the mammoth oak doors creaked open and allowed them back into the school.

The halls of the school were now empty of students. This time, the only eyes that followed them belonged to the few portraits that were still awake. Only the occasional wall sconce illuminated the dimly lit corridors all the way down to Severus' chambers.

Severus was nervous again. Dinner and dancing at the Mystic was everything Arthur Weasley said it would be. Severus hoped he wouldn't say or do something to muck up what had otherwise been a perfect evening.

The conversation had been as personal as Severus had ever dared have with anyone. Over the months, he had come to learn a great deal about Lucy's past and family, but Severus had been vague about his own.

He had recalled his sad and abusive childhood, his feelings for Lily Evans, and how he had turned to the Death Eaters for acceptance when his only friend had seemingly given up on him. Severus admitted to being a cold, unfeeling, bastard…until Harry changed everything.

"Had you known me then, you may not have liked my very much," he confessed.

"You're probably right," Lucy admitted.

The conversation easily moved from one topic to another. Lucy had told Severus of her plans to stay and accept Wodworth's offer. Severus' heart leapt at the news.

Of course the topic of Harry eventually came up.


"Why don't you adopt him, Severus?"

He shook his head. "It was hard enough to obtain legal guardianship. If it weren't for my blood bond to Lily, I doubt the Wizengamot would have agreed to it, despite having proved myself."

It was true. Lucy doubted any wizard court would allow a former Death Eater to adopt a child. But Severus had proven that he had changed. I did not seem fare. If Petunia Dursley was so inclined she could take Harry back at any…"Severus…you said your father was a Muggle?"

"Yes," he said, and then sipped his wine. "Why do you ask?"

"So that means you attended Muggle primary school, correct?"

Severus looked confused, "Of course."

"Well. That means you are in the Muggle records. You also own a home in a Muggle neighbourhood."

This time he just gave her a curious look.

"Severus, you are in the Muggle's records, as is Harry and his Muggle guardians," She sighed when she realised Severus still did not get it. "Go through the Muggle courts, Severus. Under the radar of the Ministry. Convince Mrs. Dursley to back your request. If you are his legal parent in the Muggle world, the Ministry cannot contest it here in the wizarding one."

Severus had to admit, it was tempting. He would research the idea.

It was getting late and the conversation had died down. Severus was no longer wearing his tuxedo jacket and Lucy had her bare feet curled up on his couch, leaning on his strong arm. His face rested in the top of her head.

"Would you like to dance?" Severus asked suddenly.

Lucy looked around the room. "A little crowded in here for dancing, isn't it?"

Severus stood up and offered Lucy a hand. He took his wand out and vanished all of the furniture from sight. "Wondrous thing, magic." Only the wall sconces emitted a faint glow in the room.

Severus pulled Lucy close to him. A descending string arpeggio filled the air as Severus spun Lucy into the middle of the room. He began to sing along with the music. At first, staring off into space, then his obsidian eyes locked with turquoise as they slowly swayed to the music.

Those fingers in my hair
that sly come-hither stare,
that strips my conscience bare,
It's witchcraft…

And I've got no defence for it.
The heat is too intense for it.
What good would common sense for it do…

Severus spun Lucy around again.

'Cause it's witchcraft...
wicked witch-craft…
And although I know it's strictly taboo…

When you arouse the need in me,
my heart says 'yes indeed' in me.
Proceed with what you're leading me to…

Severus ran his hand down her bare arm and lifted Lucy's face to his and they continued to sway once more.

It's such an ancient pitch,
but one I wouldn't switch,
'cause there's no nicer witch than you…

Severus had leaned over as if to kiss Lucy, but just as his lips brushed hers, he swept her away to the sound of the brass.

Lucy hand forgotten how to breathe , as Severus held her close and she followed his lead, she felt as if she were literally being swept off her feet.

This time when the vocals started again, Severus was too caught up in Lucy to sing along. Their whole worlds were in the other's eyes. The music had cast its spell.

'Cause it's witchcraft.
That crazy witchcraft.
And although I know it's strictly taboo…

When you arouse the need in me,
my heart says 'yes indeed' in me.
Proceed with what you're leading me to…

It's such an ancient pitch,
but one that I'd never switch

'cause there's no nicer witch than you…

Severus had begun to sing softly in Lucy's ear, but never finished the line. Instead his lips had found hers,  and he kissed her, soft and deep.

Their hearts were racing so fast, it was as though they had completely stopped beating.

The music had abruptly stopped and all at once the spell seemed to be broken. The desire that had been in Lucy's eyes changed to something akin to fear.

"Lucy?" Severus gave a puzzled look. He noticed that something had gone wrong.

She backed away from Severus. "I have to go," she quickly grabbed her cloak from the foyer and fled out the door, leaving it open.

"Lucy!" Severus called after her. By the time he reached the door, she had fled into the darkness. All Severus could hear was the echoes of her hurried foot falls.


 

Severus' chambers were back to normal. He paced back and forth in front of the fire place with an untouched tumbler of fire whiskey in his hands.

What had gone wrong? He wasn't mistaken. Not this time. Lucy had desired him every bit as much as he did her.

Why did she run away? There was a part of Severus, the old Severus that wanted nothing more than to get drunk and forget this night ever happened. To wallow in his despair and admit he would never be good enough for any woman.

But something else rose above his self pity. Anger.

How dare she? How dare she deny them both the chance to be happy? Especially when it was obvious that she felt every bit as strongly as Severus did!

That was it. Severus was going to go to her quarters and tell her no more games. He couldn't stand to simply be friends any longer. She needed to make up her mind once and for all.


Lucy had already changed into pyjama top and panties. She was lying on her couch, kicking and screaming into her pillow.

Lucy ran off because she knew that kiss would not just end there, and for a moment, the mistakes of her past flooded in on her.

She had come to her senses and the horror of the realisation of what she had done. She flung her pillow across the room in frustration.

She wanted that moment every bit as much as Severus did. She ached at the thought that she would have been in his arms right now and what they would have been doing.

Lucy snapped up and swung her feet over the front of her couch.

Damn it. She wasn't going to lose him. She arose and headed to her room to go change when a swift knock on her chamber door halted her.

Who was it at this time of night?

She hadn't even thought about her attire when she swung open her door to tell whoever was there to sod-off.

The shock on her face when she was confronted by Severus was in equal measure to his, being as Lucy was almost nude.

For what seemed like an eternity, they stood and said nothing.

Lucy abruptly grabbed Severus by the front of his shirt and pulled him into her chamber. The door slammed behind them and Lucy threw herself into him.

This time their kisses were not so soft, but rather fuelled by a desire they could no longer deny.

"Severus…I'm sorr…"

"Don't," he said before smothering her lips with his once again.

His hand found its way underneath her top, caressing her bare skin. He eagerly pulled her closer.

Lucy moaned as she could feel his arousal pressed against her. The sensation heightened her own.

Severus' lips left Lucy's and made their way down her neck.

Somehow, Severus had Lucy pressed up against the door of her bedchamber. He let one hand leave her body only long enough for him to open the door to allow them both to slip inside.

The End.
End Notes:
Hm…Hm…Let's leave them to their privacy, shall we?

'Witchcraft' is sung by none-other than Frank Sinatra.

If you really want to envision the dance, Google it and take a listen. *sigh*
Severus and Lucy by missyanne
Author's Notes:
Warning:This chapter contains mild to moderate sexual imagery.You have been advised.

***11 October, 1986-9:17 a.m. ***

Severus slowly opened his eyes. For a split second, he was unsure of the foreign surroundings. Then a smile grew across his face at the remembrance of the night before. It was the first time he had ever awakened with a woman by his side. It was a sensation that Severus thought he could definitely get used to. He shifted his body to face the direction of the unfamiliar distribution of weight in the bed.

There she was... still sleeping. It had not been a dream.

Lucy was on her side, facing him. Her bare arms were wrapped tight around one pillow whilst her face was half buried in another. Her golden hair was plastered across her alabaster skin. Severus gave a slight chuckle when he noticed she was drooling into her pillow. On the half of her face Severus could see, he could tell she was smiling as she dreamed.

Had he done that?

He couldn't help but to stare at the angelic creature with whom he was now sharing a bed. He was glad she was still asleep, for he could feel the heat flush across his face at the memory of the night before.

Severus could not even remember opening the door to her bedchamber, but he knew he must have. By the time they had come to their senses, Lucy was standing on her knees atop the bed; Severus was leaning over her, kissing her as if he would die otherwise. The moment they realised where they were and what was about to happen, they stopped and simultaneously asked the same question.

"Are you certain?"

The next kiss had left no doubt in either of them. At first, the act had been quite awkward as Severus was fearful of hurting Lucy or the baby. He was quite willing to let Lucy direct the course of their love-making and before long… passion took over for the rest of the night, until they fell into each other's arms in one final cry of ecstasy.

When Severus opened his eyes, he was sure he was waking from an impossible dream.

But now as he lay in bed bare-chested and propping his head up in his hand, Severus couldn't help but marvel at the wonder of it all.

Lucy.

Did this funny, intelligent, and beautiful witch really love him in the same way he loved her? Severus had to admit it, without meaning to, he had fallen in love.

It was a miracle how love came into his life...unasked and unearned.

Thinking back over the past year and a half, it was as if Severus were being given a second chance at redemption he felt he really didn't deserve. The night before, he confessed everything to Lucy, yet she did not recoil from him.

The abuse of his father... the neglect of his mother... his humiliation at the hands of the Marauders...his willing recruitment into the Voldemort's ranks.

For over a year after that fateful day he called Lily that horrible name, Severus had desperately tried to get Lily to forgive him. When it was clear that she had chosen Potter, the catalyst for that disaster, over forgiving him... in a bid for acceptance, Severus turned to those who had been trying to collect him for three years... the Death Eaters.

Severus took the Mark only a week after he became of age. It took less than a month to regret that decision, but unfortunately there was no going back. It was no coincidence the Dark Lord had targeted the young for recruitment.

It was a fortunate happenstance that the Dark Lord was more interested in Severus' skills as a potioneer than in his ability to wreak bloodshed. At least he never had physical blood on his hands. But that did not mean that Severus still had did not nightmares over his part in the Dark Lord's endeavours. Just because Severus never saw the first hand results of his handiwork, did not mean that he did not bare the guilt and shame for what he had created.

That fateful night, when he interviewed for the position of Defence Against the Dark Arts instructor, at the Dark Lord's behest, Severus had no intention of revealing the conversation he had heard between the headmaster and Sybil Trelawney. He thought it was all claptrap anyway. But the Dark Lord never trusted any of his Death Eaters and never sent them alone.

Mulciber had accompanied him to ensure that Severus would not suddenly have a change of heart and appeal to Dumbledore's assistance. He had been watching Severus from the shadows.

Severus thought that was a futile move. He would have simply asked for Dumbledore's help after he received the post.

So when Severus overheard the prophecy made by the wannabe mystic, he had no choice but to reveal it to the Dark Lord or else Mulciber would inform the Dark Lord that Severus was withholding information. In which case, Severus would have been a dead man.

Once Severus discovered that the Dark Lord had intended to act on this information and who the intended target was, at risk to his life, he sought out Albus Dumbledore. That night, Severus became a spy for the Light and swore upon his life to do anything to protect Lily and her family.

It was still a mystery to Severus, and everyone else, why Lily had named him a godfather to her son. But at some point she had obviously forgiven Severus for the sins of his youth. Somewhere, deep inside, Severus had felt this, but refused to dwell on the possibility. He felt it was too late to go back. As far as Severus was aware, Lily believed Severus was a Death Eater. What possessed her to name him godfather?

It was no small irony that Sirius Black, Potter's trusted best friend, had been the traitor and that Severus, the former Death Eater, had actually been the one to protect Potter's progeny with his life. How could Lily have known?

For the first time ever, Severus was willing to put the past were it belonged…in the past. Chances are he would never know why Lily chose him. Now, it did not seem to matter. Harry was his son, every bit as much as he had been Lily's and Potter's. Severus was determined to give Harry a better childhood than his own.

Severus had become a father, and a five year old, mop-headed miracle had magically vanished away years of heartache and bitterness. That miracle had led to the one that now lay beside him. Could Severus dare dream of others? Perhaps a wi…

Severus put that thought out of his head and dwelled upon the words Lucy said last night.

Adopt Harry.

It was possible. Severus was just as much a Muggle citizen as he was wizard. Harry was also in the Muggle records, as he had been 'raised' by horsey faced Petunia and her whale of a husband for four years.

If Severus adopted Harry through the Muggle courts, it was true; it had to be recognised by the wizarding community, just as if Harry had been born to him.

Severus gave an uncharacteristic sigh. When had his life become so blessed? More importantly why?

He gazed at his other blessing. She too, was carrying the child of another man. It was especially obvious to him last night. Strange, how he was not put off by the thought of her carrying Musgrave's child? But then again, Musgrave had given up all rights to fatherhood when he tried to kill the child and enslave Lucy.

Why Amortentia was even legal, was beyond Severus. The callousness of Musgrave's attempt was astonishing. Severus wondered if the man had once been a Death Eater.

To Severus, that baby was a part of Lucy, just as Harry was a part of Lily. Once again, Severus was named godfather. And once again, Severus was willing to be more. He would love and protect Lucy's daughter as his own, if she would let him.

He gingerly reached across to move a strand of hair from Lucy's mouth. The gesture was enough to awaken Lucy from her slumber. One eye slowly opened and she gave her new lover a sleepy smile.


Lucy smiled. It hadn't been a dream.

The memories of the night before had filled her dreams. His touch... his voice... his scent... the feeling of him inside her. Severus made her feel like a woman in ways she never dreamed of.

She awakened to the sight of Severus smiling down at her. For the first time in far too long, she felt content with her life. She had almost forgotten what it felt like.

But then again, she had never really felt like this. She must have been some kind of idiot. How could she have ever mistaken the little-girl infatuation she once had for Kenneth as love? It was so thin and shallow in comparison to what she felt for this man now beside her.

Looking back, Kenneth had been set on perceptions. He was very sensitive about how others viewed him as well as Lucy. Kenneth had an urgent need to turn Lucy into his idea of the perfect wife and mate. Lucy had come to resent him because of it.

She had definitely resented the move to Great Britain. She resented him getting her pregnant without consulting her. She resented his attempts to manipulate her.

Funny…,now she was thankful for his failed attempts to control her. Lucy was very much looking forward to meeting the little girl that was growing inside her now. She wanted to be a mother.

She was thankful for Kenneth taking her away from home. If he hadn't, she would have never met Severus.

Severus.

It had not been Lucy's intention to fall in love with her friend, even after her split from Kenneth. In all honesty, she had not believed herself worthy of Severus Snape. Yet by some miracle, Severus not only did not pass judgment on her past mistakes or carrying the child of another man, he loved her despite of it all.

The man had been through so much. She had sensed a quiet strength in him from the very first moment they met. Lucy was aware of Severus' past mistakes, but until last night, she had no real notion of how deeply his past still haunted him, how unsure he was of himself.

But the demons of Severus' past served as testament to how good of a man he truley was. By some miracle, he had risen above the heartbreak and bitterness to find the power to love again.

That little miracle was a green eyed, raven haired imp.

Like Severus, Lucy was at a loss to understand why Lily would have named him godfather at that particular time. Perhaps, she had perceived something in their blood connection.

Whatever the case, Lucy was grateful for the deed. It was in that deed that redeemed Lily in her eyes. How could she have abandoned Severus so readily? Everybody says things they regret in the heat of the moment at some point on their lives, usually more than once. But obviously Lily had eventually seen her error.

In her heart, Lucy said a prayer of thanks to Lily and hoped the woman heard it wherever her spirit now resided.

Lucy knew that Severus would have remained lost without Harry. That darling boy.

Lucy had been serious in her suggestion that Severus adopt the child. Severus could not love that child anymore if Harry were of his own seed.

That boy was a miracle in more ways than one. He had somehow miraculously saved the wizarding world. He had somehow miraculously saved Severus. And in a way, he had miraculously saved Lucy too by bringing her close to Severus.

Lucy loved that child. She would protect Harry every bit as much as she would protect her own, every bit as much as Severus would protect him, every bit as much as Severus would protect her child.

Lucy need not wonder how she came from the depths of despair to the pinnacle of happiness. Her answer lay right beside her.

"G'mornin," she mumbled as she reached for Severus' hand.

"Good morning," he whispered back, as he took her small hand and kissed it.

Lucy's face was still half buried in her pillow when Severus leaned over and kissed her forehead. "Did you know that you drool?" he said playfully into her ear.

"Did you know that you snore?" she answered back sleepily. It was a lie.

"I do not snore," said Severus, slightly taken aback.

Lucy yawned and stretched then propped herself up the same way Severus had done himself. "How do you know? You cannot hear yourself in your sleep."

"I'm certain if I snored, Harry would have mentioned the fact long ago," Severus countered as he moved Lucy's tousled hair from her shoulder.

Lucy took the pillow she had once been hugging and tossed it at Severus. He caught it before it could hit its mark. "Well I couldn't just let you get away with that drooling remark," she said. She leaned over and gave Severus a peck on his hooked nose. "I don't know about you, but I'm famished."

"There won't be much left in the Great Hall by now," Severus said as he watched Lucy swing her legs to the side of the bed and sit up. She was covering her front with the sheet, but he back was left completely exposed. She heard Severus' breath hitch. Lucy turned her head and gave a knowing smile.

Severus moved across he bed towards her and slipped his had under the sheet. Lucy craned her neck back as she allowed Severus' kisses to slowly move down to her shoulders. Severus guided her back into bed and they both realised that they were hungry for something more than breakfast.


An hour and a half later, Severus appeared from Lucy's shower, wearing a housecoat he had a house elf bring him, along with fresh robes. He forgot to ask for toiletries and he had to resort to using Lucy's.

Lucy was also in a housecoat, sitting at her small dining table in front of the kitchenette. There was a covered platter in the middle, a bowl of fruit, as well as a pot of coffee.

Lucy was busy writing. Her rabbit was sitting on her lap as Lucy absentmindedly fed her a piece of banana. Severus walked over and gave Lucy a small kiss under her exposed ear. She turned her head and kissed him on the lips. "I could definitely get used to this," she sighed. "You smell purty." She could smell the lemongrass and citrus soap that Pawpaw made for her.

Severus smiled "I shall endeavour not to stand too close to my other colleagues today," he looked curiously down at her copperplate handwriting.

"What are you working on?" he asked.

"A list of materials and supplies I will need to begin Wodworth's project…Sit down. I've been waiting for you." Lucy picked up Thor from her lap and put the bunny at her food bowl in the kitchen along with what was left of her banana. She then returned to the table.

Severus took a chair opposite Lucy. When she sat back down she took out her wand and Vanished her writing.

Severus removed he tray from the serving platter. There were crepes and bacon along with the fresh cut fruit. Severus was thankful not to find grits. "What supplies do you need?" he casually asked.

"Oh…cochineal, woad, lampblack, carbon, verdigris…as well as some others. As much as I would like to get a hold of some lead and sulfate of arsenic, I don't dare handle those with the baby, even using protective measures. I will also need the primary flight feathers from a swan to make the quills I need… Most of my other supplies are in good shape. Can you recommend a reputable apothecary?"

"I can provide you with much of what you need," Severus said as he loaded a plate and passed it to Lucy.

"I appreciate that Severus, but I will require more than you can practically provide. I would deplete your stores," she said as she took the offered plate. "Besides, the British Museum will be paying the expenses."

"There are a couple apothecaries that I highly recommend. You can get what you need at Slug and Jigger's in Diagon Alley. Mr. Cline in Knockturn Alley will not deal with you without an introduction and since you do not require anything rare or of dubious nature, there is no need to venture there."

Severus continued as he put fresh strawberries atop his crepes. "I gather Wodworth has you working with an illuminated manuscript, but thus far, you have neglected to mention which one or what you will be doing with it."

Lucy gave a sly grin. "I haven't neglected a thing," she said cutting into her crêpe. "I'm not at liberty to divulge the details right now. But I promise to let you know as soon as Uncle Albus sets up the extra security measures."

Severus took a sip of coffee and put down his cup, "If it is such a secret, should you be telling me at all?"

Lucy swallowed her bacon, then dabbed her mouth with her napkin. "Actually…I could tell you but I want it to be a surprise. For security reasons I have to let two others know where my scriptorium is located, in case something was to happen to me. Of course Uncle Albus will need to know, as the manuscript will be housed here. And you are not only my personal choice… but also the most logical."

Now Severus was really curious. "The most logical?"

Lucy eyes twinkled, much like her uncle's. "You'll understand when you see the manuscript."

Severus gave her a curious look but their breakfast conversation soon drifted to Harry. Severus brought up his desire to speak to Petunia and seek out a Muggle barrister. "That is marvellous, Severus! If you need to take some personal time off, let me know. I can take over your lessons for a time."

"I'm touched by your offer, but what of your own lessons."

"That's the beauty of having a resident ghost…built in substitute. Professor Binns cannot fool me. I have caught him listening in on classes and perusing my books. I have no doubt that he would be willing take over for a while if the need should arise."

The breakfast dishes cleared themselves and Lucy and Severus got up to go and change. Before they went back into Lucy's bedchamber, she stopped. Lucy turned to Severus and ran her fingers along the edge of his house coat. She looked a little nervous. "Severus? Will Harry be alright with this…with us?"

Severus gave a thin smile as he brushed a strand of Lucy's hair behind her ear. "It just so happens, Harry has been trying to convince me to kiss you for a week. He actually made me promise to tell him if I kissed you."

"Excuse me?" Lucy choked out in her mirth.

"Yes, it seems that the Weasley twins put him under the impression that you would come to 'like me' should I kiss you."

Lucy tapped her chin in contemplation. "So that's how it works… I think I need to test this theory." She wrapped her arms around Severus' neck and pulled his face down to hers and gave him another deep kiss.

When she pulled away, with her most cloying Scarlett O'Hara impression, she went into a soliloquy. "Why… Professor Snape, Suh… Ah realise that five minutes ago, I did not know you from Adam. But now that we have kissed thusly…Mah little 'ol heart would just shrivel up and diah, should you evah spurn mah affections."

Severus looked at Lucy as she batted her eyelashes ridiculously and gave him a syrupy smile.

Severus tried to stifle his laugh but couldn't. He gave Lucy a peck on her forehead. "What am I going to do with you?"

"Oh…I can think of a couple of things," she teased as she ran her fingers down his chest, "But no time for that now," She sighed as she tapped Severus' chest and turned towards her room. "I really do need to get to Diagon Alley and I suppose you should be picking up Harry soon."

"Harry is spending the day with the Weasley's. I am not expected until tea." Severus said as he followed Lucy.

Lucy perused through her wardrobe. "Then would you care to accompany me?" She asked as she picked out her clothes.

Severus was sitting on the edge of Lucy's bed, pulling up the trousers the house elf had laid out for him. "I do need to replenish my supply of asphodel."

Lucy turned towards Severus, clutching the dress she had chosen. "Asphodel? Do you mean to brew Alf's potion for him when he returns?"

Severus stood up and faced Lucy as he buttoned his white linen shirt. "Your father went over the formula with me for that express purpose."

Lucy just stared at Severus for a moment. Severus had told her that Alf…Remus… had been one of the infamous Marauders, albeit not as malicious as the others. No wonder Severus gave him the cold shoulder last week. This gesture was magnanimous of him indeed. Lucy walked over to where Severus stood and raised on her toes to give him a soft kiss. "You never cease to amaze me, Severus Snape."

***4:14 p.m. ***

Severus and Lucy stepped out of the Floo and into the Weasley's sitting room. It had been an interesting trip to Diagon Alley.

In Slug and Jigger's they had come across none other than Lucius Malfoy. It was Malfoy who approach Lucy as she spoke to Mr. Jigger over the quality of kermes she required.

Malfoy had recognised Lucy from the Consulate Christmas party the year before. He somehow knew that Kenneth had been imprisoned but not the reasons why. The fact that he knew at all was surprising. The Consulate, as well as Albus, had worked hard to keep Kenneth's arrest under the radar of the media. The Consulate did not want the public relations nightmare and Albus did not wish to cause Lucy any more stress than she was already under.

Lucius had offered his condolences to Lucy, especially since she was obviously expecting the man's child.

Needless to say, Malfoy was confused when it was apparent that Lucy was not distressed over Kenneth Musgrave's arrest and the look on his face was positively gob-smacked when Severus Snape offered his arm to Lucy and escorted her from the shop.

Severus told her it was best to avoid Lucius Malfoy if at all possible. Severus knew for a fact that the man was a former Death Eater and that Malfoy's loyalties were questionable at best. Lucius Malfoy's vast amount of money had kept his associations hush-hush. Few were aware if his dubious past.

For some reason, that news had not surprised Lucy. She had only met the man once before, but felt he was slimier than a dissected flobber worm.

Lucy's shopping was done for now and when she and Severus returned to Hogwarts, they enjoyed some brief alone time in Severus' bed before they Flooed over to pick up Harry.

When Severus and Lucy stepped out of the Floo, the children were outside playing Gobstones. Arthur Weasley was in his favourite chair reading the Muggle London Times. Molly was sitting on the couch, catching up on her sewing. They both looked up as the couple stepped from their fireplace.

"Severus…Lucy." greeted Molly as she put down her sewing. "Did you enjoy Mystics?"

"It was lovely, Molly. Thank you," Lucy said as she took one of Molly's hands and gave her a kiss on the cheek in greeting.

Arthur arose from his chair and Severus stepped over to him. "I have something that belongs to you." Severus indicated what he meant by tapping his pocket where Arthur's shrunken turntable and album now resided.

"Lucy…I'm stealing Severus away for a moment if you don't mind." Severus followed Arthur out the kitchen door and into the garden. Harry looked up from where he was playing with the children.

"Daddy!" Harry cried. Severus knelt down and scooped up Harry as the little boy ran into his arms.

"Did you behave yourself for Mr. and Mrs. Weasley?" Severus asked, picking Harry up.

"Uh-huh," nodded Harry enthusiastically. "Did you kiss Miss Lucy?"

Severus tousled Harry's already muffed-up hair "You…are incorrigible." Severus put Harry back down. "Go say goodbye to your friends and then run along inside. Miss Lucy is inside waiting for you."

"Okay!" Harry shouted. He ran over to say his farewells to the Weasley children.

Severus and Arthur continued out to the shed. "So Severus…Did you kiss Miss Lucy?" Arthur asked.

The only answer he received was Severus clearing his throat.

Arthur let out a hearty laugh and slapped Severus on the back. "Bully for you, Severus…Bully for you."

Ten minutes later, Severus and Arthur came back into the house.

Arthur paused for a second to admonish the twins for splashing Percy as they washed their hands at the kitchen sink.

In the sitting room, Molly and Lucy were sitting on the sofa. Harry was perched atop Lucy's lap and Ginny was in Molly's. Ron was sitting cross-legged on the floor, chatting with Harry.

The women turned their heads to see their men come into the house. Severus leaned over and gave Lucy a kiss. "Are we ready?"

The reaction among the children was priceless. Percy rolled his eyes as Fred and George gave each other high-fives. Ginny was silent, her mouth was agape like a codfish. Ron scrunched his face and exclaimed "Eww!"

And Harry..."It's about time!"

None of the children understood why the adults suddenly broke out in laughter.

The End.
Changes by missyanne
Author's Notes:
Since I'm going through the Muggle courts, I was going to try to follow the British Adoption Laws of that time. However, after extensive research, I could not find any useful information pertaining adoption laws in the U.K. before 1989. So basically, I have to make things up.

As this is purely a work of fiction set in an Alternate Universe, it should not be too big of a deal. So please don't send reviews saying that I have the Law all wrong.

That's right folks. I'm the Law around these here parts…which makes life a heck of a lot easier for me…the author…and Severus too for that matter.

***A special 'Thank You' to tambrathegreat.

She has kindly offered to Beta this story for me. She has a remarkable gift of prose that, in my opinion, will help this story reach its potential. She contributed some great ideas to this chapter. Any mistakes found are purely my own. Thank you, Tambra.

If you haven't checked out her stories, you really need to. They are AWESOME!

*** 27 October, 1986***

"Do you need a Calming Draught?" Lucy asked as she adjusted Severus' tie.

Severus held his head up for Lucy. He stood as straight as a ramrod. "Do I look nervous?"

"Not at all, you look about as calm as a Niffler in a room full of Kneazles…There you go," Lucy said as she gave his tie a pat, "Dressed to impress."

They stood behind the desk in Severus' office. Severus pulled at his collar as if Lucy tied noose around his neck.

Albus had granted Severus some personal time to begin the preliminaries for Harry's formal adoption. He had also taken the liberty of finding an advocate in Scotland and a solicitor in England who happened to be Squibs with reputations for being discrete. Albus made a good point that the court would order Severus' residence and employment record examined. Severus would have an exceedingly hard time explaining Hogwarts to a Muggle and Squibs would know how to make certain information appear…normal, at least to the Muggle barrister.

Lucy smacked Severus' fidgeting hand. "Will you stop that?"Lucy received his raised eyebrow in response and she pursed her lips in irritation, "Merlin Severus…It can't be that constricting. It's not as if you don't wear enough clothing to make a tortoise claustrophobic in the first place."

Severus was wearing a charcoal grey business suit and his hair was once again pulled back. It wasn't that the clothes were uncomfortable. They were simply unfamiliar; at least that's what he told himself. But to Lucy, Severus simply mumbled, "The material makes my neck itch."

Severus was getting ready to meet his Advocate in Inverness. He had a ten o'clock appointment. During the meeting, Severus was to explain the circumstances of his guardianship of Harry, and collect the papers that Petunia needed to sign for his English Solicitor. He looked like he was going to take a walk to the gallows rather than meet with an adoption specialist.

Sensing Severus' anxiety, Lucy stood on her toes and planted a kiss on his cheek. "Everything will be fine." she told him. "Just remember to breathe every once in a while."

Severus gave a little nod then cast his gaze out to his empty classroom. "Are you sure you don't mind?"

"It's a little late to go back now, if I did. Don't worry… I promise not to blow up your classroom while you're away."

"And what of your own classroom?" Severus really did feel guilty for pulling Lucy away from her own duties. But not only was she the most qualified to fill in for him, she did have her own qualified replacement. The guilt he felt was somewhat ridiculous, but there it was, always a part of him when he thought he was shirking his own duties.

"I'm pretty sure Professor Binns won't blow up my classroom either," Lucy said seriously. "Now get going," she urged as Lucy practically shoved Severus out of his office.

The bell sounded, indicating that students had ten minutes to get to class. Severus bent over to give Lucy a quick kiss. "Thank you. You're an Angel."

"Yes…I know." Lucy winked as the fifth year Gryffindor and Slytherin students began to file in. "Do you have everything?" she asked.

"Yes."

Lucy handed Severus his black trench coat that was hanging on the coat tree just inside the door. "Here…Now shoo."

Severus took one look back as Lucy waved him out the door and past his students. He was getting curious glances from most of them. It was not everyday a Hogwarts Professor was seen in Muggle attire.

Someone whispered "Good Luck, Professor." Severus turned and Bill Weasley gave him a knowing nod.

Severus was a few yards down the corridor when he heard Lucy call the class to order. "Now that everyone has settled down…If you think that your Potion Master's absence gives you an excuse to slack off today…I highly advise you to think again…"

Severus smirked, and Lucy's speech trailed off. He slipped on his overcoat and ascended the staircase to the main floor of the castle.


He was nearly to the main entrance of the castle when a voice called out to him.

"Professor Snape…Professor Snape, Sir!"

Severus spun around. A tall red-headed boy was running towards him.

"Why have you left class, Mr. Weasley?"

Bill bent over and put his hands on his knees. He needed a moment to catch his breath. "Sorry Sir," he panted. "Miss Lu…I mean… Dr. O'Conner said you forgot this." Bill took a small object out of his robe pocket and handed it to his Professor.

Severus took the object, clearly annoyed with his own forgetfulness. "Thank you, Mr. Weasley…and extend my gratitude to Dr. O'Conner."

Severus had forgotten his attaché case. Within it were his employment records, proof of residence, proof of income, professional and personal recommendations, Petunia Dursley's affidavit of her willingness to release her custodial and parental rights of Harry over to Severus, as well as his copy of the Potter's will.

Nothing of any major importance, Severus berated himself.

"Run along back to class Mr. Weasley. I do not wish to return, only to find that my top student has fallen behind in his lessons."

Bill gave Severus a crooked smile, "Yes Sir," he said, before running back in the direction of the dungeons.

When Severus finally stepped into the cool autumn morning, he breathed deeply. He really needed to calm himself before he attempted to Apparate to Inverness. He would be splinched for certain.

Severus shoved his cold hands into the pockets of his overcoat only to discover something in both pockets. In one pocket, was a pair of leather gloves, in the other, a phial of Calming Draught.

Severus scoffed. If it wasn't for Lucy, he was sure he would have left his own head in the office this morning.

***12:17 p.m. ***

"Well, Mr. Snape…I'm sorry…Professor Snape. You seem to have everything in order here." his advocated pronounced in a heavy Scottish brogue. "It is especially advantageous that the child's late parents wished the child's guardianship be passed to you should Sirius Black become unable to carry out that responsibility. "

The advocate, Mr. Auchmuty, was a tall, thin man with shocking white hair that was neatly trimmed.

"Once I am able to interview the boy and inspect his environs, I should be able to expedite the process on my end should all go well." the man said in a rather pleasant baritone. It was a tone, Severus thought, that was assumed to lend an air of trusting calm.

Severus shifted his weight in the chair he had taken in front of Auchmuty's desk. "How long should it take?"

"After I make my inspection, I can fax over my recommendations to Mr. Singh in Manchester the next day. From there it is up to Mr. Singh and how quickly his Barrister can bring the matter before the court…Manchester is your primary residence?" Auchmuty scanned Severus' application through his reading glasses.

"Yes Sir. I inherited the house after my father's death."

Mr. Auchmuty straitened the stack of papers by giving the edges a smart tap on the desk. "Good, then it should be no problem for Mr. Singh to inspect the home at his convenience….Now, Professor Snape, if you would, tell me why you wish for this adoption to take place." he asked, giving an intrusive gaze to Severus. "Your guardianship of Harry Potter is secure in the Wizarding world. No one can dispute your rights. Why is this important to you that you become his parent?"

Severus very much wished he could take at belt off of that Calming Draught right now, or perhaps a swig of strong single malt. Opening up about his feeling for Harry to Lucy was one thing, confessing his feelings to a complete stranger was quite another. But if he wanted to do this, he needed to buck up and pour out his emotions as if he were a Hufflepuff.

"It is true, no one can take Harry from me in the Wizarding world and it is highly unlikely that Petunia Dursley will demand Harry back. But I seek out this adoption for Harry's sense of stability as well as my own piece of mind," Severus began.

"I could not love that boy anymore if he were my biological son," Severus confessed. "By adopting him, he will never need question that love. Also, I would sleep better myself knowing that if something were to happen to me, Harry would be my undisputed heir. I wish to insure that he would go to the people whom I trust to take care of him. I have no desire to see him thrust back to the Dursley's…or even worse…become a ward of the Ministry."

Mister Auchmuty smiled. He heard what he wanted to hear…that the man loved the child as his own. But he still had another personal question to ask.

"You say that you desire young Mr. Potter to be your heir. You are still a young man, Professor. There is still the possibility of you fathering your own children some day. Do you foresee a conflict with this?"

"None," Severus had thought of that very possibility recently. Harry would still be his eldest child should that dream ever become a reality.

"Good…if you have no objections, I would very much like to see Mr. Potter now," he announced as he laid the papers on his desk.

Severus hid his surprise. "I have no objections. It is simply unexpected."

"Mr. Singh will need to inspect…What is it called? Oh yes…The Burrow…as it is located in Devon," Auchmuty said as he picked up the phone to call for a taxi. "However, I need to interview Mr. Potter myself and there is no time like the present."

"There is no need to call a taxi, Mr. Auchmuty. I can Apparate us to the school gates," Severus offered as he arose from his chair.

Auchmuty shook his head and waved for Severus to sit back down. After he put the headset back into the cradle, he explained. "I used to side-along with my mother all the time. I hated it…never got used to the sensation. Macaulay's Pub is a Wizarding establishment a short distance from here. We can have lunch and then you can escort me through the Floo from there. It is not quite so…disorienting."

***2:25 p.m. ***

Mr. Auchmuty now sat quietly upon the sofa in Severus' sitting room along with Albus Dumbledore. They were sipping tea while waiting for Severus to return from the Burrow with Harry. Auchmuty had been quite satisfied with what he had seen thus far. He knew that Snape had not been expecting a visit so soon, so he was confident that there had been nothing staged for his benefit.

The quarters Snape shared with the boy at Hogwarts were comfortable and tidy. Harry's room contained a number of toys and books that were appropriate for a child his age. He had a comfortable bed and decent clothing. On the side table next to the child's bed was an orb with an image of his mother floating within. Inside the drawer, a family photo album of the Potter's, containing various photos of an infant Harry with both of his biological parents.

Bathtub toys were scattered in the bathroom tub. In the front room, there was a self dedicated to more children's book and pictures of a happy father and son set amongst them. Another photo of Severus and the boy sat upon what was obviously Snape's desk.

In the kitchen, Harry's artwork adorned the walls and cabinetry, some with magical creatures or depictions of friends. However most were of Harry and Snape labelled 'Daddy' and 'Me'. As the months progressed, the handwriting became more legible, lines became straighter and letters began to face the right direction.

The most resent artwork contained a new subject. Along with Harry and Snape, a blonde woman was now featured prominently. She was often shown holding hand with Harry, Snape or both. Under each depiction was the name 'Miss Lucy'. Auchmuty wondered who this woman was. Harry was obviously fond of her. She was always shown with Snape. Was there a 'Mrs. Snape' somewhere in the future?

Auchmuty was currently thumbing through a book he had picked up off of the side table. Snape was obviously in the middle of reading The House on Pooh Corner with Harry.

It was apparent that a very happy and exceptionally well loved child lived here.

The silence was broken when Albus suddenly said. "Ah…I believe they are here."

Just as suddenly, the Floo came alive with green flame and Severus stepped out with Harry in his arms.

"Good Afternoon, Harry," Albus greeted as Severus put Harry down.

"Hi, Uncle Albus," Harry said in return. Upon seeing the strange man in the room, Harry instinctively moved closer to his Daddy and grabbed his hand.

Severus looked down at his boy, who was valiantly trying to put on a brave face. "Harry, this is Mr. Auchmuty. He is here to meet you."

Harry's eyes grew large behind the rims of his glasses. He drew himself closer to his daddy and looked up at him questioningly.

"It's okay, Harry," Severus reassured him. "Mr. Auchmuty is here to help us."

Harry turned back to Mr. Auchmuty and blinked. He hesitantly put out his hand. "It is a pleasure to meet you, Mr. Auchmuty," he introduced himself the way his daddy had taught him to.

Auchmuty knelt to Harry's level and shook his hand. "Likewise, Harry. I have talked quite a bit with your godfather. Do you think it will be alright if I talk with you for a bit?"

Severus really did not want to leave Harry alone for this conversation. Not because he was afraid of what Harry would say, but he did not want Harry to feel anxious without him there.

Perhaps if Harry could still see him?

"Harry, why don't you sit here with Albus and talk to Mr. Auchmuty whilst I make some hot chocolate?"

Mr. Auchmuty sat on the sofa while Albus took the adjacent chair. Harry did not feel like sitting down. If he sat down, he could not see Daddy in the kitchen, so instead, he opted to lean against Uncle Albus' knee.

Auchmuty picked up his attached case and took out his legal pad. "You don't mind if I write while we talk, do you Harry?"

"Nuh-uh," Harry replied as his fingers traced across Albus' knee, going over the zodiac signs that were embedded in the dark blue water silk. His eyes occasionally glanced up to ensure his Daddy had not gone anywhere. Albus rubbed Harry's back to reassure him.

"Thank you, Harry," Mr. Auchmuty said as he put his attaché case back down. "How long have you been living with your godfather, Harry?"

"Ever since I was little," Harry replied.

Albus and Mister. Auchmuty both smiled. "Harry came to live with Severus about a week before his fifth birthday." Albus elaborated.

"Thank you… Do you like living with your godfather?"

A broad smile came across Harry's face. "Very much. Daddy loves me."

"I notice you love him very much too, Harry," Mr. Auchmuty commented as he wrote on his pad. "Why do you call your godfather 'Daddy'?"

"Because…when they used to lock me in my cupboard…I would ask my Mummy and Daddy in Heaven to send someone to save me and take me away." Harry's voice wobbled a bit as he thought back to that time. The child obviously did not like talking about his past. "And one day…Uncle Albus came with Daddy. They said he was my godfather. I figured Mummy and Daddy asked God to send me a new daddy to help me."

Auchmuty had to stop. He stared at Harry for a moment. "Harry, did the Dursley's lock you in a cupboard for punishment?

Harry shook his head "No Sir…that's where I lived." Harry sniffed and wiped his nose with his shirt sleeve. "They didn't love me. Daddy loves me."

Severus was coming from the kitchen carrying a tray with a chocolate pot and mugs. As soon as he saw Harry's tears, he quickly put the tray down on his desk and rushed over to his son.

Albus was leaning over, whispering some calming words to Harry.

Harry looked up as he saw Severus come to him and Severus picked him up. Harry laid his head on Severus' shoulder, finding comfort in his father's strength. "Can you avoid the topic of his unfortunate relatives, Mr. Auchmuty? You have barely begun and Harry is already upset."

"I apologise, Professor. That was not my intention," Auchmuty said honestly. "Unfortunately, we will have to revisit the matter at another time. But for now…let's talk about happier things, shall we?"

"May Severus stay with Harry, Mr. Auchmuty?" Albus asked. Harry clung tightly to Severus. His arms looped around and fingers laced tightly behind his guardian's neck. It was apparent he wasn't letting his daddy go anywhere.

"It is not customary. But I've had to make exceptions before. So long as you are silent and do not try to influence Harry's answers, I have no objection that you stay," Auchmuty said to Severus.

Severus took the opposite chair from Albus and settled Harry into his lap. Harry had obviously become more at ease as he leaned his head against his daddy's chest and relaxed his hold a bit .

Albus got up to pour out the forgotten hot chocolate. He passed cups to everyone in the room.

When Mr. Auchmuty sensed that Harry was ready, he resumed his questioning. "Let's try again, Harry, shall we. Tell me how you and your godfather spend time together."

Harry immediately became more animated. Harry was more than happy to tell Mr. Auchmuty how great his daddy was.


It was after 4:00 before Auchmuty finished questioning Harry. After Auchmuty had diverted the subject away from the Dursley's, Harry was more than happy to talk about his daddy, the Weasleys, and Miss Lucy. Severus was grateful when Mr. Auchmuty finally said he found out what he needed. Harry had become so energised; there was no telling how long the child could continue.

Severus was exhausted. He had spent his entire day with the advocate, and he still had to floo the Squib back to Inverness. Albus would have done it, but he was called away by Filch.

The final potions class would be concluding momentarily, so Severus decided to drop of Harry with Lucy until he returned.

As Severus approached his classroom with Harry and Mr. Auchmuty, he could here Lucy's voice admonishing a student. He stopped to listen.

"…Mr. Flint, I do not care what your problem is with Mr. Adams…you do not go about sabotaging another student's potions. You have no idea what havoc you could have created."

"But Dr. O'Conner, he…"

"I don't want excuses Mr. Flint. Did you or did you not toss Billywig wings into Mr, Adams' boil cure potion?"

"Yes Ma'am," a voice mumbled.

"Do you know what kind of reaction that could have caused had I not Vanished the potion?"

"No Ma'am."

"I didn't think so…By Wednesday afternoon you will give me two rolls of parchment on the use of Billywigs and the types of reactions they can cause if used incorrectly… If not, you may look forward to a week's worth of detention with Mr. Filtch. In addition you have deprived Slytherin of five points."

"Five points!" the first year protested. "You're a Snake too…you can't…"

"Would you care to make it ten points and the addition of detention?"

"No Ma'am." Flint became contrite once again.

"You may leave, Mr. Flint."

The dark haired boy came flying out of the room and nearly ran into a very surly Potion's Master.

"Pr...Professor Snape Sir." The boy stammered.

Severus was still in his Muggle attire. Even so…he still looked as intimidating as ever. "Mr. Flint…You will return to your room directly after supper and remain there until I come to speak to you. Do I make myself clear?"

"Yes Sir."

Severus waved the boy off and Mr. Flint walked off as quickly as he could before he got in anymore trouble.

"I apologise, Mr.uchmuty," Severus said before entering the room.

"No need," the man waved off Severus' concern. "You are responsible for the children in your House. I would expect nothing less."

Severus entered the classroom with Harry holding his hand and Mr.Auchmuty behind him. "Five points?" he said with a raised brow.

Lucy looked up from the desk from where she was gathering her things. She smiled broadly. "What? Not enough? Should I have made it ten?"

"Billywig wings would not have caused an adverse reaction to a Boil Cure potion," Severus told her.

"You and I know that, but young Mr.Flint does not," Lucy said in her own defence. "Better that he learns his lesson this way. Next time, he may actually blow up your classroom."

"Did you really take away five points Miss Lucy?" Harry asked with a note of scandal in his voice. He let go of Severus' so he could give Lucy her hug.

Lucy ran her fingers through his messy hair. "Why Harry…even you know better than to throw something into a cauldron without knowing what it will do."

"Lucy" Severus interjected, "May I impose upon you to watch Harry whilst escort Mr.Auchmuty back to Inverness?"

"Severus…you know it's no imposition…and you forget your manners. Mr.Auchmuty…I'm Lucy O'Conner," she extended her hand with a bright smile.

Auchmuty reached out and shook Lucy's offered hand. "A pleasure, Dr. O'Conner. Harry speaks highly of you," he noticed the young woman's pregnancy. He would make sure to ask Severus about his relationship with Dr. O'Conner and her child.

"Harry is a little flatterer," she said. "I have plans to see Pawpaw. Do you mind if I bring Harry along?" she asked Severus.

"I will see you there," Severus told her. Remus Lupin would be there, and Severus had a favour to ask of him.


Severus had arrived later than he wished at the Boar's Head. Mr.Auchmuty had asked about his relationship with Lucy and Severus found himself explaining the circumstances that led to him becoming romantically involved with a witch expecting another man's child. Mr.Auchmuty said it would probably be of no consequence, but he needed to know, just in case the matter was raised.

They had enjoyed supper at the pub. It was a little known fact that Aberforth served one of the best steak and kidney pies around.

Harry was now at the bar with Hagrid. The half-giant had brought in his newly acquired boarhound puppy to show off to Aberforth. Of course now Harry was being entertained as the puppy tried to chew on Hagrid's shirt sleeve.

Monday nights were slow. There were only two other patrons in the bar, both of them only interested in keeping to themselves.

Lucy had informed Severus that Wodworth would arrive with the manuscript on Saturday, but he was off in his own world.

"Sweetheart…are you alright? You look exhausted," Lucy said as she reached across the table for Severus' hand.

Severus wearily nodded. "It has been a long day," he admitted. "Tomorrow I need to go to Surrey to get Petunia to sign the papers. Then I have an afternoon appointment with Mr.Singh."

However, that was not all that was on his mind.

Aberforth had arrived at the table with Severus' wine and Lucy's tea. "Boy… Lucy's right-you look done in. Can't you wait a day or two to get those papers signed?"

"No. I have a feeling that I need to expedite this as soon as possible. The longer this drags out, the more likely it will leak to the media," Severus said. "Having guardianship of Harry is one thing. But there are many who would consider his adoption as a personal affront to the Potter's…There could be a backlash."

"He does have a point, Pawpaw. There are those out there who are more concerned with the myth the name 'Potter' represents than the happiness of one little boy."

The three looked over to the bar where Harry was giggling. Hagrid's puppy was aggressively licking his ears.

"Aberforth…is Lupin around?" Severus asked, never taking his eyes off his laughing boy.

"Aye…He's in the cellar fetchin'a barrel…I'll let him know you wish to speak to him." Aberforth then left Severus and Lucy to themselves."

Lucy looked at Severus curiously. "Why do you need to speak to Alf suddenly…You usually avoid him if you can."

"I would think you would encourage my actively trying to speak to Lupin."

"Oh… no complaints from me," Lucy told him. "I was just curious if you were having a change of heart."

Severus took a sip of his wine. "I have no desire to become chummy with Remus Lupin," Severus admitted. "I'm asking a favour on behalf of Harry."

Lucy did not have time to ask Severus to elaborate as Lupin approached the table. He looked strong and healthy. It would be Saturday before he would begin to feel the initial affects of the approaching full moon.

"Hello Lucy…Severus. You wished to see me?" Remus gave Severus a quizzical look. Severus had never actively sought him out for a personal conversation before.

Once upon a time, Severus would have answered that query with an insult, but he needed Lupin for Harry's sake. "I'm sure you realise what Friday is," Severus said.

Remus wrapped his arms around himself protectively. He did not want to think about the devastation his once best friend had created. He simply nodded.

"Last Halloween, Harry wanted to see his parents resting place," Severus explained. "Seeing that he was old enough to ask…he was old enough to go."

Severus had taken Harry to the churchyard that night. Before they entered the gates however, they had gone into the church and lit two candles in memory of Lily and James.

Remus looked at Severus unbelieving. "You didn't tell him about…"

"Of course I told him some things," Severus said irritably. "I could not have him believe those lies his relatives spewed out about Li...his parents. He deserves to know that they died saving him and not in a drunken car crash as Petunia said they had." He was trying to hold down his voice so others would not hear.

"I did not go into details. Harry isn't old enough to understand most of them," Severus continued. "However, as much as I can regale Harry with my memories of Lily…I have no favourable memories of James Potter as I am sure you are aware…I am asking you to fill that void."

Remus dropped his hands to his side. He stood dumbstruck. Remus turned to Lucy. "What did you do to him?"

Lucy scoffed and shook her head. "Don't look at me. This is the man I've always known." She smiled at Severus. She knew deep down, how hard it was for him to ask this of Alf.

*** 27 October, 1986-6:55p.m.-Azkaban Prison***

His head darted back and forth, yellow eyes fixed on a movement. Everything looked so large…so clear. A rat scurried along the back wall. It would make the perfect meal.

The great black rook spread his ebony wings, readying himself to swoop down on his prey. He launched himself off of the ledge. But something had gone horribly wrong.

"OOOFF!" The man smacked and landed spread eagle against the stone floor. A hoarse laugh came from the other side of the wall.

"You need to learn to walk before you can fly, my friend."

Kenneth stayed on the floor and rubbed the back of his head in an effort to ease the pain. "I thought I could hold it this time."

"You only managed to transform for the first time two days ago. It may take weeks before you can hold your form at will." Black told him. It had taken him and the Marauders a couple of years to learn their Animagus skills. But their magic had not fully developed and they had no one with experience to teach them. They had been extremely lucky that they had not caused themselves permanent damage.

Kenneth was the first neighbour Sirius Black had since he was thrown into Azkaban. Kenneth had seen Sirius in his Animagus form that first day. When Sirius told him that the transformation helped ease the effects the Dementors had on the psyche, Kenneth had been intrigued. He had worked up the courage to ask Black to teach him the skill. Kenneth had not been a diplomat for nothing. He was sure that Black would happily oblige, if only for the chance of having some human contact.

Kenneth was right. Black happily obliged.

After all, Kenneth had led Black to believe that they had much in common. They believed they had been accused of crimes they did not commit-and the both had an ingrained hatred for one Severus Snape.

The End.
End Notes:
"The House on Pooh Corner," was written bt A.A. Milne.
October 31st by missyanne

***31 October, 1986-9:04 p.m. ***

Harry was lying on the Severus' sofa asleep, with his head in Lucy's lap. He was clutching the photograph album that contained pictures of Lily and James.

Lucy was looked down at Harry's angelic face and noticed that his glasses were in danger of being bent and a little spot of drool marred the photo album. She gently lifted Harry's head and carefully removed his glasses and the photo album, then set them on the side table. Taking her wand, she summoned Harry's blanket from his room and tucked it around the sleeping boy.

It had been a very long day for Harry and Severus. Today had been Severus' last day of leave until he received word from his attorneys about the court date for Harry's adoption hearing.

Severus took advantage of the rare free day and spent it entirely with Harry. Once again, they had gone to Godric's Hollow to pay respect to Harry's parents. They had visited the church and the memorial statue in the town square, but Severus had purposely avoided the remains of the Potter home.

Harry had fallen asleep not long ago, listening to Remus Lupin tell his memories of James and Lily Potter. After Harry had fallen asleep, Severus escorted Alf to his private lab to ensure that he had his necessary potions for the coming full moon, leaving Lucy to watch over the sleeping child.

After she tucked the blanket around Harry, Lucy bent over and gave him a kiss on the cheek. Harry shifted, wrapped his arms the best he could around Lucy's expanding waist, and settled back into his slumber.

Unbeknownst to Lucy, she had been the subject of a very intense conversation that afternoon.

***2:30 p.m. ***

Severus watched Harry as the little boy stood pensively over the grave of his parents. Severus and Harry had each laid a single peace lily on the graves of each of the Potter's.

There were roses already setting on the grave in front of the tombstone when they had both arrived. Severus was fairly certain that Lupin had already come and gone.

Severus was concerned for Harry. This time last year, the child had been overly gregarious at his parent's graveside. Harry couldn't stop asking questions, many of which Severus had been unable to answer because he either did not know the answer or thought Harry was too young to fully understand the details.

But this year, Harry was quiet… he had been over the last couple of days. Harry's mood was a bleak as the cold, damp day had been.

This was more than sombreness over his parent's graves. Severus had seen this look on Harry before. The child had a question to ask and did not know how to do so.

There was a stone memorial bench nearby. Severus cast a warming spell upon it and bid Harry to sit. Harry shuffled over and sat next to his daddy, his face was forlorn.

Severus thought that perhaps he had made a mistake by bringing Harry. He had discussed the matter of how to spend this Halloween with Molly and Arthur. They had told Severus to let Harry decide how to commemorate the day.

When Severus had asked Harry how he wanted to spend the day, Harry had expressed his wish to spend it as they had done the previous year. However, now Severus was wondering if he had made the right decision.

Severus took Harry's chin and gently turned the boy's face towards him "Harry…Do you wish to go home? We don't have to be here if you do not wish to be."

Harry cast down his eyes in a deliberate effort not to look at his daddy. "No…it's not that. I wanted to come."

"Harry…Look at me," Severus instructed him. "What is troubling you? Have I not told you that you can talk to me about anything?"

"Yes, Sir," Harry nodded as he reluctantly turned his eyes towards Severus.

Now Severus was really concerned. Harry had called him 'Sir' rather than 'Daddy'. Something was seriously troubling Harry.

"Harry…I want you to tell me why you are so uneasy." Severus handed Harry a clean handkerchief from his pocket. From the way the boy was beginning to sniffle, he would need it soon.

Harry took the handkerchief from Severus, but once again had focused his eyes elsewhere. This time Harry was staring at his dangling feet. "If I tell you…you might think I'm bad."

That was the last statement he thought he would hear from the boy. Severus looked at Harry. He was slightly taken aback. "Harry…what have you done to make me think you were bad?" Severus did not believe for a moment that Harry had done something he would construe as 'bad'.

Harry shrugged. "Nothing, I guess," he said quietly as his eyes slowly turned back to his parent's grave.

Severus followed Harry's gaze. Whatever was bothering Harry, it definitely concerned the boy's parents. He could tell that Harry was trying to keep from crying.

"Harry…," Severus said as he took the forgotten handkerchief from Harry's hand and wiped the child's runny nose. "Please tell me what is wrong."

Harry's chest began to heave as if he were about to panic, then his fears rushed out of him. "Do you think Mummy and Daddy would be sad if I asked for a new mummy?"

Severus' face paled slightly as he knew what Harry was thinking. It wasn't as if Severus hadn't been wondering the same things himself, but he did not want to bring up names or make promises he may not be able to keep, so Severus decided it would be best to approach the subject with generalities.

"Harry…do you think that it makes your parents sad that I am your new daddy? Did you not ask them for me?"

"Yes...,"Harry said with alarm, "…I mean…no…I mean…I asked them for you…but they chose you for my new daddy a long, long time ago."

Severus couldn't help but to feel a little scepticism. He knew that Lily had wanted him as Harry's guardian, but Severus was certain it must have taken Lily quite a bit of arm twisting to get Potter to sign on the dotted line for the final will.

"I mean…" Harry continued quietly. "They didn't choose a new mummy for me. What if they don't want me to have one?"

The epiphany hit Severus like a rogue Bludger. Harry was in the middle of an internal struggle. On one hand, was his loyalty to the parents that had loved him as an infant and had given their lives to save his, yet Harry had none of his own memories of them. On the other, was Harry's very real need and desire to have a 'real' mother and father who would be there to love him and guide him every day.

As far as Harry was concerned, he had a daddy. But Harry had seen how Mrs. Weasley was with her own children. Although Molly has always been there to lavish her maternal affections on Harry… to Harry, it was not the same. He wanted his own mummy every bit as much as he wanted his own daddy. But Harry had become afraid that wanting a new mummy made him disloyal Lily.

At first, Harry had thought a helper for his daddy would be enough, but the more he thought about it, Harry wanted a mummy too.

It was apparent, that just as Severus' feelings for Lucy had developed beyond the bounds of friendship…so had Harry's.

Severus picked Harry up and placed his son on his lap. "Harry…I want you to listen to me very closely." Harry wrapped his arms around his daddy's neck and laid his head on his daddy's chest, as if he were literally following Severus' instructions. "I cannot make any promises that you will have a new mummy," Severus said as he pressed his cheek to the top of Harry's head. "But I can assure you, that your parents will be very happy should you find one…as long as she loves you as much as we do."


When Severus and Harry arrived back at Hogwarts latter that afternoon, they had run across Charlie Weasley and his friends practicing their flying. The Weasley boy asked Severus if Harry could join them and promised that they would watch the little boy carefully. Charlie agreed that if Harry wanted to go inside, that he would personally escort Harry to Severus.

Harry had seemed keen to join the older children. Seeing that Harry's melancholic mood was somewhat lifted at the thought of flying…Severus agreed. Typical Potter, thought Severus. However, it would be a welcome diversion for Harry and Severus had needed to debrief Lucy on the progress of his students this past week.

Severus summoned Harry's broom and as Harry eagerly ran to the Pitch, Charlie admitted to Severus, "Mum owled us and said it might be nice to help keep Harry from dwelling too much on…you know."

Upon arriving in his office, Lucy had mentioned to Severus that this was the first time he had let Harry play without adult supervision since the incident with Mitzy back in August. Severus had almost turned back around to retrieve Harry, but Lucy stopped him, reminding Severus that they were in a magically secure school and that Harry would be alright playing in the company of older children, not to mention, Madam Hooch was close at hand to the Quidditch Pitch where the children would be flying.

That was not what had made Severus rethink his decision to let Harry play. Severus felt conflicted. He did not want Harry wallowing in depression, but he did not want to make light of the significance of this day in Harry's life either.

Severus suddenly felt as if he had pawned Harry off for the sake of getting a little work done.

"But should I let him play…today of all days?"

"Severus…Molly is right…let Harry play if he wants to. You've done so much to ensure that Harry does not forget Lily and James…and he hasn't. You have even invited a childhood nemesis into your home this evening so Harry can learn more about his father," Lucy reminded him.

Lucy walked over to Severus and wrapped her arms around his waist and leaned against him, "I know this is a hard day for the both of you, Severus…but I don't think Lily and James Potter would object to Harry having a little fun today. I know if it were me in Lily's place…all that would matter is Harry's happiness."

Severus embraced Lucy and rested his chin atop her head. He couldn't help but wonder if Lily and Potter were trying to tell him something.

***9:06 p.m. ***

Lucy turned her head in surprise when she heard the outer chamber door open.

"Why didn't you simply Floo from the lab?" she asked Severus as he began to unbutton his frock coat.

"Harry was asleep before we left…the door is much quieter," Severus said quietly hanging his coat on peg in the foyer.

"I take it Alf has what he needs?" Lucy asked in reference to the Wolfsbane potion and pain relievers Severus had brewed for her friend.

"Yes…He will begin to feel affects of approaching full moon tomorrow." It would be Sunday night before Remus would begin to transform, but he would feel the ill effects as early as the day before and as late as the day after the full moon waned. Aberforth would Ward Remus into isolation at night and see to it that his needs were attended to during the day.

Although the new potions Remus Lupin was taking eased the effects of his lycanthropy, the approaching lunar phase would always be distressing to him. And even though Dr. O'Conner's potion allowed Remus to keep his human faculties, Remus insisted upon being isolated as a precautionary measure during his transformation.

Severus walked around to the front of the sofa and knelt down before Lucy and Harry. Lucy was lovingly stroking Harry's hair. "He's had a long day," she whispered softly.

"Yes…he has," Severus agreed with a weary nod.

Lucy noticed the fatigued etched on Severus' face. With her free hand , she reached across and placed her hand on Severus' cheek. "It looks like Harry isn't the only one who's had a long day." She knew it had been a long, emotionally charged week for Severus.

Severus held her hand to him. He turned his face into her hand and kissed her palm lightly as he closed his eyes.

"Come on…let's put your son to bed." Lucy reluctantly withdrew her hand from Severus and positioned herself so she could set Harry upright.

Severus arose and tenderly took Harry from Lucy, bundle of blanket and all.

Harry raised his sleepy head when he felt something had changed, "Where's Miss Lucy?" he asked so quietly, he could barely be heard.

"She's right here," Severus reassured him gently. "Go back to sleep, Harry."

Harry lifted is head a little more in search of Lucy, his eyes half-lidded and heavy. Only when Harry saw that Lucy was indeed, standing just beside his daddy and smiling at him, did he snuggle back down into his blanket.

Severus looked over his shoulder at Lucy and raised an eyebrow. Lucy shook her head in wonderment. "Well if that doesn't make a gal feel loved…I don't know what does."

Lucy preceded Severus into Harry's room. She went over to his bureau and pulled out a pair of pyjamas while Severus situated Harry in his bed.

Lucy approached the bed and handed Severus Harry's pyjamas. She sat on the edge of the bed and removed Harry's shoes while Severus began to expertly change Harry into his pyjama top. Harry was like a rag doll in his hands.

"You're a fair hand at this," Lucy commented as she arose from the bed so Severus could continue to change Harry.

"I'm well practiced by now," Severus said as he removed Harry's trousers.

When Harry was finally changed, Severus tucked the boy in and gave him a soft kiss on the cheek.

As Lucy leaned over with her hand on her belly, to give Harry her kiss 'good night', Severus could not help but notice the faint glow coming from the orb on Harry's night stand. Severus conceded that he was near exhaustion. For a moment, it looked as if Lily's smile had been that much brighter.

When Lucy had said her 'good night' to Harry, Severus put an arm around her waist and escorted out of the room. He left the door open a crack.

They continued to talk outside of Harry's door. "That's a wonderful thing you did by inviting Alf over this evening," Lucy said. "I know it wasn't easy for you."

"At least he had the good grace to exclude Potter's more…nefarious exploits," Severus said uneasily. It was for selfish reasons why Severus did not want Harry to be privy to Potter's more notorious pranks. Severus did not care if Harry learned that his father was a prankster. But Severus did not wish for Harry to learn that he, Severus, had been the target of some of James Potter's cruellest acts.

James Potter would always be a bullying toe rag to Severus. But Severus did not wish to see Harry disappointed in his father, or even worse, wonder what had been so wrong with Severus that his father had found him contemptible. No…Severus believed that revealing Potter's darker side would open up questions from Harry that Severus was either unable or unwilling to answer.

Lucy stood on her toes and gave Severus a kiss. "I have to go…Wodworth will be here tomorrow morning with the manuscript," she said sadly. Although her home was only one step away through the Floo, Lucy felt as if she were ripping herself away from where she belonged.

Lucy made towards the Floo, but stopped when she felt Severus' hand on her arm.

"Don't go," he said faintly.

"Severus? Do you think it wise when Harry is…"

"No…It's not that," Severus interrupted. "I just…want you to stay." Severus could not articulate his need, but it was beyond anything physical. It simply did not feel right for Lucy to leave.

Severus leaned over and kissed Lucy again. When he pulled away his heart was gladdened at Lucy's smile. "Come…I think I have a pyjama top you can lay claim to." he said, holding her hand and leading her to his room.

"Ah…start bestowing me with gifts and you'll never be rid of me," Lucy teased as they entered Severus' bedchamber.

Severus turned and drew Lucy close to him. As he closed the door, he whispered silkily into her ear, "I don't intend to ever be rid of you."

***31 October, 1986-6:26 p.m.-Azkaban Prison***

Sirius Black sat on the floor with his back against the cold stone wall. He could hear the scratching of talon to rock in the neighbouring cell. He had never seen Musgrave's Animagus form, but Sirius was sure it was some sort of large bird.

Sirius had been in near isolation for as long as he had been in Azkaban. His closest neighbour had been across the corridor until he died some years back. Crouch was his name. The only reason Sirius remembered the name, because the man was the son of the bastard who threw Sirius into this hellhole.

Sirius had not found this troubling at first….the isolation that is. In fact, it had been welcome. At least he did not have to contend with the likes of his insane cousin, Bellatrix. She was on a separate corridor and Sirius could still hear her maniacal screaming on occasion. On the once monthly visits from Narcissa, those screams would die down.

The first time Sirius, sitting in a dark corner of his cell, saw Narcissa Malfoy walk down the halls of Azkaban to visit her deranged sister, the irony had not escaped him how a murderous psychopath like Bellatrix Lestrange had the support of her family, but he…Sirius Black, an innocent man… had not warranted a single visit from any of his friends or colleagues. After all of these years no one had come to his defence, not even Remus.

Sirius had come to the conclusion that the Death Eaters had still managed to take over the Ministry after Voldemort's downfall.

Perhaps Bellatrix was still here because she was too unstable. Sirius had no way of knowing. No news filtered into his cell. Even those prisoners who were within talking range never spoke to Sirius.

It made sense to Sirius. How else could Sirius' own imprisonment be justified? He had never even been given a trial. Perhaps that was why he never had any visitors. Maybe he was made to disappear and nobody knew where he was.

And how else could the likes of Severus Snape be teaching children as Musgrave had told him? For whatever reason, Lily had always defended the prat, but Sirius was convinced that Snivellus Snape had turned Death Eater.

Sirius sympathised with his new neighbour… poor blighter.

Not only had his woman had been Confunded by the greasy bastard, Snape had managed to plant evidence on Musgrave, framing the man for attempting to kill his own child.

Sirius had always thought that Snape was capable of depravity …but really…How sick could a man get?

There was another point that Sirius could relate with Musgrave, being powerless to care for your own child.

Harry would have been his had Sirius had not ended up in Azkaban. He wondered about the child every day. Had Harry been successfully hidden from Wormtail and his cohorts? Was Harry even alive?

Of all Sirius' regrets in life, his greatest one was his failure to James and Lily. He had failed to look after their son, the only task they had ever charged him with.

Sirius desperately wished that wherever Harry may be, the boy was well taken care of and happy. From his position, that was all Sirius could do for the boy. It was a point of which he was so ashamed, he had not even broached the subject of Harry with his new friend.

Sirius' ruminations were interrupted when he heard the unmistakable sound of bone being transfigured and then the obligatory moan of pain that always followed an inexperienced Animagus transformation.

"I think you managed more than five minutes that time, Musgrave."

"I still cannot fly yet," Sirius heard the man pant.

"Don't waste your magic on trying to fly right now," Sirius advised. "Just concentrate on keeping your form as long as you can. That way when the Dementors come about, you'll have less exposure to them."

Sirius heard Musgrave sigh in acquiescence, then the sound of approaching footsteps caught his attention. "Heads up, Musgrave. Someone's coming…human."

Sirius slipped back into the dark corner of his cell…unwilling to be seen. Kenneth was sitting on the opposite side of the wall from Black. He could now hear footsteps coming towards the cell. Kenneth pushed himself up from the floor and gingerly brought himself to his feet.


Standing in front of his was an old family friend he had not seen in nearly a year. "Lucius," Kenneth said with as much dignity as he could muster. He knew he was crusted with filth and smelled twice as bad as he looked, but there was nothing to be done for it.

"I would say it is good to see you, old chap," Lucius began haughtily. "But under the circumstances…"

"Lucius," Kenneth said again, this time with more urgency. "How did you know I was here?"

"Narcissa said she saw you during her last visit with Bella," Lucius informed him. "Had I known, I would have been by sooner. Do you need a Solicitor?"

It had not left Kenneth's notice that Lucius had not even asked why he was incarcerated. Lucius and Kenneth had grown up together. Had their situations been reversed, Kenneth would have offered Lucius the same.

Their father's had been best friends. Although Kenneth had never attended Hogwarts… as he was educated by private tutors, the two had spent many summer vacations together as children. They had intended to take their grand tours together but that idea had been squelched when Lucius had decided to join his Dark Lord when he became of age.

Lucius had spoken highly of The Dark Lord and Kenneth had been intrigued. He had even intended upon taking the Dark Mark himself when he finished university in the States.

Like Kenneth, his father had been a diplomat. The elder Mr. Musgrave had insisted that Kenneth have an international education. However, by the time Kenneth had finished his graduate degree, the Dark Lord had been vanquished and Kenneth had never taken the Mark.

Kenneth may have been intrigued by the Dark Lord, but he had not been loyal as Lucius had been. Kenneth was more interested in power and influence than blood lines. And Kenneth was keenly aware of the power and influence the Dark Lord was amassing amongst the purebloods of England, the only wizards who truly mattered in the powered and moneyed elite.

Of course Kenneth had no real misgivings about Severus Snape being a former Death Eater. He had only been using that argument to dissuade Lucy from associating with the bastard.

"My Solicitor has been in contact…thank you Lucius."

"I ran into your pretty Dr. O'Conner in Diagon Alley the other week," Lucius said with a casual sneer.

Kenneth felt sick in his stomach. Whether it came from his lustrous fervent desire to see her to finally submit to him or from intense hatred of her traitorous defection to Snape, he was not sure.

Kenneth walked over and sat on his thin cot. He told Lucius his version of the events that landed him in Azkaban.

"How is she?" Kenneth finally asked.

"Obviously with child," Lucius admitted. "Is it truly yours?"

"Of course it is!" Kenneth spat out.

Lucius brushed off his sleeve with the back of his hand. The dirt was not imaginary. Even the very air in Azkaban seemed to be saturated with filth.

Lucius sighed, "Well…what you have told me does explain some things."

"Explain things…explains what?" Kenneth demanded.

"Simply the fact that your Lucy seems to be quite happy despite your unfortunate circumstances, and why she left my presence on the arm of one, Severus Snape."

Kenneth's face contorted with rage. "NNNO!" he bellowed as he slammed his fists against the unforgiving wall. He did not even feel the outer metacarpal bone in his right hand break.

"I am truly sorry to be the bearer of such distressing news," Lucius said with affected boredom, though his eyes glinted with some deeper emotion at Kenneth's outburst.

Kenneth's face was tight with a rage he could barely contain. "Don't be," he said through his gritted teeth. "Thank you for telling me the truth, my friend." His voice was shaking as his surge of adrenalin ebbed away.

"Sincerely, Kenneth…I am sorry," Lucius said, this time his sympathy was apparent. "It's not enough that Snape has laid his hands on the Potter child…now he is laying claim to yours."

"WHAT! I'LL KILL HIM! HARRY IS MINE!" The voice from the next cell was so enraged, it was almost feral.

Lucius jumped away from the bars as if drawing back in fear and Kenneth had snapped out of his reverie. He had never heard Black like this. This was the voice of a man capable of murder.


When Lucius Malfoy had shown up at Musgrave's cell, Sirius had originally wondered if he had misjudged Musgrave. Sirius did not know for certain if Malfoy had been a Death Eater, but the man had for certain been sympathetic to You-Know-Who's cause and the family connection through Bellatrix was undeniable, however, the conversation between the men had not indicated anything suspicious and with the mention of Snape having custody of Harry, Sirius forgot all else.


Kenneth had not purposefully intended to keep Sirius Black in the dark about Harry. To Kenneth, Harry Potter was nothing more than an insufferable brat. Kenneth had no qualms about using the child if it meant having his revenge against Snape, but otherwise he was an insignificant kid. Kenneth's overpowering obsession with Lucy had made him blind to how important a person Harry Potter really was.

Over the past month or so Kenneth had been in prison, Black had told him about how it was really some chap named Peter Pettigrew who had betrayed the Potters. Kenneth did not actually believe the story-after all, all of the inmates in Azkaban were innocent. However, it was obvious that Black had come to believe his own fabrication.

But Kenneth was aware of one incontrovertible fact; Sirius Black was indeed a close friend of the Potter's. It was entirely possible he was the child's godfather as Black had just now confided in him.

Oh…what fruit that could bear if word ever leaked out.

Kenneth wouldn't lose sleep if something had happened to Harry. He wanted Snape dead and Lucy punished. If the child had to suffer to meet those ends…so be it.

Sirius Black had not yet realised the potential his skill had. To be undetected by the Dementors…If it had been Kenneth, he would have escaped long ago.

Kenneth was ecstatic when he discovered he had taken the form of a rook. Not only could he fly out of his prison when he became strong enough, the bloody birds were so common he could hide indefinitely.

But now Kenneth was nursing his newly broken hand. A broken bone in the hand meant a broken bone somewhere in his wing. It would take time for it to heal without the benefit of magic and the Ministry would not waist the expense of Skele-grow on prisoners.

Kenneth listened to the incessant pacing in the next cell. Black was still in a murderous rage. Perhaps if Kenneth played his cards right…he could use that excessive emotion to his advantage.

Kenneth went over to the front of his cell at the location closest to Black's. He held a bar with his good hand while trying to wave his rapidly swelling hand in a bid for Black's attention. It had not worked, so he tried for Sirius' attention again without being too loud. "Black! Black…We need to talk."

The End.
The Spell Book by missyanne
Author's Notes:
Warning:Moderately explicit sexual imagery.

***1 November, 1986-6:32a.m. ***

It was far too early to get up as far as Lucy was concerned. One of the perks of teaching was sleeping in on the weekends… at least when research did not dominate her life.

Lucy felt the butterflies in her stomach. She was altogether giddy with anticipation and terrified at the enormous responsibility she was about to take on. Her life would change today. Wodworth would deliver the manuscript. It could take decades to complete and she would become the world's foremost authority on the subject. Her brain was having a difficult time processing it all.

Like it or not, Lucy needed to get up and meet her life's work. But at the moment, that proved to be a difficult problem, because right at this particular time, Lucy was lying on her side and Severus had his legs and arms wrapped around her, using Lucy as a literal body pillow.

Lucy looked down at the mass of silky black hair that rested on her flannel covered breasts and scoffed. Severus really did not snore. She watched as his hair moved in rhythm with his light breathing. Who would have thunk with a proboscis such has his? It really did defy all scientific and magical reasoning.

Lucy noticed that the duvet cover had fallen to the floor. It probably happened sometime during the night as their intertwined bodies provided all the warmth they needed.

It was really hard to tell were Lucy ended and Severus began as she was wearing the matching top to his green plaid pyjama bottoms.

Merlin…she hated to do it, having Severus wrapped around her was like being wrapped in bliss, but she had to do it. Not only was it time for her to get up, she really had to pee.

"Severus…" she whispered with urgency as she poked his shoulder. "Severus…I need to get up."

The only response she had was Severus shifting himself lower. His cheek lay atop her belly and his arms were firmly around her waist.

This was not good. Lucy wasn't sure she could stand the pressure on her bladder.

"Severus," Lucy said even more firmly and giving him determined shake. "If you don't get up, I won't be held responsible for what happens."

This time Severus did wake up. He turned his sleepy head to Lucy. "Hmm…Good morning," he said dreamily. He began to put his head back down on Lucy's abdomen when he felt something wiggle beneath Lucy's belly.

Severus scrambled back in wide-eyed surprise and Lucy grabbed her belly and squealed. "Oh!"

They both stared at each other in amazement for a time. Together they grinned widely at the realisation of what just happened.

"She moved," Severus said through his laughter.

"Yeah," Lucy said, nodding enthusiastically staring at Severus with deranged happiness.

The urgency in her bladder had eased as the baby was no longer sitting directly on top of it.

Severus scooted back over to Lucy and placed a hand on either side of her belly. He sat on his knees and stared in wonderment. Together he and Lucy had experienced this first sign of a new life. He rubbed a hand across Lucy's stomach. His eyes glanced up at Lucy. "Do you think she heard me?"

Another little kick.

"I would take that as a 'yes'," she couldn't control the joyous tears that began to stream down her face.

Severus laid his head down on Lucy's belly again. His smile refused to fade as he breathed in time with the rising and falling of Lucy's stomach. He had just made a truly magical connection with the little spirit that dwelled within. The child's first quickening was prompted by the sound of Severus' voice.

***8:23 a.m. ***

Professor Thaddeus Wodworth was inspecting Lucy's custom designed scriptorium with Albus Dumbledore as his tour guide.

Wodworth was a short, stout wizard. His unnaturally black hair was in stark contrast to his greying van-dyke beard. The man had the most perfect Oxford accent. He sported a stereotypical brown tweed Muggle suit under is woollen tan travelling cloak. He might as well have had a sign on his back that read 'Egg Head'.

Standing together, Thaddeus Wodworth and Albus Dumbledore looked like the product of a time turner expedition gone wrong. Albus looked like he stepped out of the Middle Ages; Wodworth looked like he stepped out of a Sir Arthur Conan Doyle novel (only with really bad hair).

The chamber was not small, but neither was it overly large. It was sixteen by twenty square feet and the ceilings were twenty feet high. The light eliminated the room came from wall sconces and a lamp that floated unsupported directly over Lucy's work table. There were no open flames but rather it was a magical light that emitted from the lamp and sconces.

Lucy used a powerful charm of her own devising that kept the room at a constant temperature and humidity. In the week she and Albus had spent setting up the room, it took her nearly two days to permanently set the charm into the walls, floor and ceiling.

On one wall there was a long cabinet that looked like card catalogue drawers that one would find in a library. But rather than references to books, within the wooden drawers were blocks of raw pigment. Each drawer was carefully labelled as to what was held within.

Along the adjoining wall as a shelf that held various wooden boxes. Within these were swan feathers, sand, quill knives, styluses, sharpening tools (when done correctly, sharpening by hand was far superior to anything done by magic), and a variety of preservation agents.

The largest wall held a bookshelf that reached from floor to ceiling and ran the length of the room. It contained Lucy's research material. In that twenty by twenty foot shelf was every known book on Hogwarts and its founders, as well as the known English and European history of the time and every known significant contemporary witch and wizard. Professor Binns was floating among the top selves, looking for a specific tome.

The fourth wall was bare stone with the exception of a heavy Gothic style oak door. The door was situated directly in the middle of the wall with two sconces on either side.

In the middle of the room was a long crescent shaped table. Lucy's work chair was set inside the crescent, on what would be her left, was a pestle but no mortar. There was also a small paint brush and the specialized quills Lucy had custom made for the job. On the right, was a journal, writing quills and ink. In the middle of the table, perched on a raised podium as if awaiting destiny, sat an ancient book with a tarnished silver cover.

The security in the room was tight; it was so tight, that only Albus Dumbledore knew for sure where the chamber was located within the castle. There were no windows that allowed in natural light. The only door in the room led to a small antechamber that contained a Floo, the only way in or out of the room. In that antechamber were also two other doors, a modern cylindrical door led to a photographic dark room, and an older oaken door led that to the loo.

The only access to the Floo was through Lucy's private chamber and the only two other people who would be recognized to come through that Floo and into the scriptorium without Lucy's express permission were Albus Dumbledore and Severus Snape.

Albus and Severus were given this security privilege because Albus, as Headmaster, had to establish the security Wards and Severus, as the Head of Slytherin House, had a vested interest in what Lucy was attempting to do. The only reason they had been given access was so if something were to happen to Lucy, the manuscript and her research would not be lost forever.

"I must say… I am impressed with what you have done here, Dr O'Conner," Wodworth said with an authoritative air. "I can see why you came so highly recommended," pointing out Lucy's attention to detail and the fact that even though her work had not even begun, Lucy had made a potentially significant discovery.

There were less than a dozen people in the world, magical or Muggle, who could do the type of work Lucy was about to undertake. According to Wodworth. whenever the museum asked other institutions for recommendations for a specialist, one name came up over and over; Dr Lucile O'Conner. While she worked on her dissertation under the late, great Dr Roger Harington, she developed many of the preservation spells that were just now starting to become standard among document preservationists. Not only that, her reproductions from the Book of Kells were hardly distinguishable from the originals.

Unlike others who were merely art historians and preservationist, Lucy was also a research historian. Not only could she restore and preserve the manuscript she was charged with, she was one of only two or three people in the world who was competent enough on the subject to possibly decipher the secrets held within. Lucy trained and specialised in multiple historical disciplines and she could do alone work that usually involved entire teams.

Wodworth could scarcely hide the fact that he was beside himself when Lucy agreed to take on the project. The museum would save a fortune paying only one witch instead of a team. Granted, Lucy would receive a substantial salary for her work, but it was still only half of what the museum would pay for a team of three or four. Wodworth seemed to be patient when Lucy explained exactly what needed to be done and how long it would take. It may take more time to have the work done, but it would be well worth the wait to have it done right and at less expense.

Wodworth pulled out his pocket watch, indicating he would have to leave soon, "Where is Professor Snape I wonder?" he said without attempting to hide irritation. "I should hope to meet him before I have to away"

Lucy and Professor Binns looked over their shoulders. The ghost had found the book he had been looking for and together he and Lucy were pouring over the castle's architectural layout.

"I believe he has taken young Harry down to the gamekeepers hut," Albus said unaffected. "He should be here shortly. Severus does know his way down, doesn't he, my dear?" Albus asked Lucy.

"Yes…I gave him instructions at breakfast."

Wodworth's attitude changed at the mention of Harry's name. "Ah…Yes. He is the guardian of Harry Potter, isn't he?" He sounded like a teenager about to meet a rock star, "I don't see why he could not have just brought the child along? I'm sure we could have found something to entertain the boy." He was looking around as if Harry and Severus would just simply step out of the stone walls. Wodworth's desire to have a close-up look at The-Boy-Who-Lived could not have been any more glaring.

Lucy snapped her book shut. "Professor…you don't mean to say it would be appropriate to have a child…any child…playing around a one-thousand year old manuscript?" she said tersely. Lucy really didn't believe that Harry would misbehave, but she could not stand to see people treat Harry as if he were an object to be put on display.

Wodworth averted his eyes to the drawers that lined the walls and thumbed over the labels in a vain attempt to hide his embarrassment. His blatant hero worship of a six year old boy was unbecoming of a man in his position. "Yes…perhaps you are right, Doctor," Wodworth said, trying to recover his dignity.

"I should be off," Wodworth sniffed. "I do suppose I can meet Professor Snape some other time." There was a disappointment in his tone, but not from missing his chance to see Severus.

Lucy walked to her work and laid down her book. "I will be in contact after I have finished the first three pages or if I discover anything else of significance." Her tone was cordial, but short indicating she was ready for the man to leave. She inwardly thanked the Lord above that she did not have to work closely with Wodworth. Lucy had no use for Heroes or Hero Worshipers.

The fact that the baby was once again on the move did nothing to help her mood. She really wanted to sit down.


After Albus escorted Wodworth out, Lucy sat down for a few minutes, then got up and began to gather what she would need to start her work.

Today, she would only be taking detailed photographs of the Carpet page and the first two Illuminated pages. It was actually more delicate work than what it sounded as the pages were vulnerable to any changes in light or temperature.

Not only would these photos serve as 'before' pictures, Lucy would refer to them as she learned to replicate the script before she even attempted to touch the originals. She did not wish to expose the original manuscript any more than was absolutely necessary.

"Do you require any assistance, My Dear?" Professor Binns' ethereal voice inquired.

"No…thank you, Professor," Lucy said in genuine gratitude as continued to collect her equipment.

The ghostly professor nodded in recognition. "Then I shall leave you to your task," he said. "You should be proud of yourself, Young Lady. This is a proud day for Hogwarts."

Lucy looked at the old ghost who had been nothing but critical of her since she stepped into the castle. She could not help but blush. "You are far too kind in your praise, Professor."

"Not at all," Binns said with rarely shown affection, "And please…the name is Cuthbert," at that, he floated out of the room and left Lucy standing with a gob-smacked expression on her face.

After a few seconds, Lucy shook her head regained her senses. She then continued with her work.

Lucy was putting on her reading glasses when she heard the Floo in the antechamber come to life. It could only be one of two people.

There was a rap on the door.

"Come in Severus," Lucy said as she slipped on her white, acid free gloves. As Uncle Albus was escorting Wodworth out of Hogwarts, the process of elimination told Lucy who was at her door.

The door slowly opened and Severus poked his head in the door before he hesitantly stepped in. "I hope I'm not disturbing you," Severus' eyes calmly examined the room.

He was not an historian, but Severus appreciated the pursuit of knowledge. At least he would know where to find Lucy should she disappear for hours on end. Severus could happily spends days locked away in this room himself.

"Not at all," Lucy said with a smile that was reminiscent of a child unwrapping a favourite toy on Christmas morning. "Did you meet Wodworth?" Lucy's smile faded with a hint of distaste.

"Yes," Severus intoned, echoing Lucy's bête-noir. "He seems keen upon meeting Harry."

"I find it amazing how otherwise intelligent people find themselves acting like complete jerk-wads when it comes to that name."

Severus gave an undignified snort when he heard Lucy refer to her new boss as a 'jerk-wad', but the change in mood invited a change in subject.

"How are you feeling?" Severus asked as he came around to Lucy's side of the table. He thought that perhaps the baby's new movements would somehow exhaust Lucy.

"Oh…I'm fine," she said cheerfully as she embraced Severus. Lucy wasn't tired, she was sore. "She's quieted down some since this morning. But I have to admit…It feels a little weird when she decides she wants a change in scenery." Lucy was rubbing her increasingly sore belly. The new movement would take some getting used to and Lucy was afraid she was going to be permanently black and blue before the baby was born.

She looked up at Severus, her child like grin was back on her face. "Would you like to see my little secret?"

Severus' curiosity had to be satiated. For weeks now, Lucy has talked about little more than the Wodworth project and Severus was finally getting to see what all of her excitement was all about.

Lucy took off her right glove and grabbed Severus' hand, "Come," she indicated towards the table with a flick of her head. "Come and see."

Lucy led Severus over to the raised rostrum in the middle of her work table.

Severus stared at the tarnished silver book that lay atop if it. The book was approximately sixteen inches long, twelve inches wide and about eight inches thick. Severus could tell without even opening he cover that the pages within were worn and fragile. On the metallic cover of the book, Severus recognised the jewel encrusted insignia of Hogwarts, but with a striking difference. The coat of arms contained all of the House crests, but the green quadrant which housed the House emblem of Slytherin was twice as large as all of the others.

"Lucy? What is this?" Severus was almost afraid to ask, as if the sound of his voice could damage the delicate pages within. He noticed Lucy was slipping her glove back on.

"This Severus," Lucy said admiringly as she dared to touch the silver cover "Is the Spell Book of Salazar Slytherin."

She couldn't take her eyes off of it. She was almost afraid if she did, the book would be gone and it all would be nothing but a cruel dream.

"You mean to tell me…" Severus began is disbelief.

"These pages were penned by the hand of Salazar Slytherin himself," Lucy said breathlessly. Her mind could hardly grasp the reality that the pigment from her quill, would bond with that of one of the most influential and powerful Wizards who ever lived. "It will be my job to restore the pages and to study, decipher, and record the information inside."

Taking her gloved hand, Lucy carefully lifted the cover to reveal the ornate carpet page. Ironically, green was not the dominate colour but rather it was red.

The colours were very faded and the picture was done in the two dimensional style of all art of the Middle Ages, but it was obviously a representation of the original Hogwarts. The vellum it was printed on was so worn; Severus thought the slightest breeze would cause the parchment to disintegrate into dust.

"Isn't it exquisite?" Lucy whispered reverently.

Actually, it looked like an old worn out book to Severus, but its importance and rarity did not fail to escape him by any means. Lucy was about to become a very important witch.

"Lucy…I'm at a loss for words." Lucy looked up at him. Her eyes were glistening with excitement. "Do you realise that you will become the definitive authority on Salazar Slytherin?"

"Oh yes," Lucy said as she inhaled deeply. "It is a bit overwhelming actually."

"Do you think you can do it?"

"Oh…I can do it," Lucy said in a tone that left no room for doubt. "My Doctorial advisor, Doctor Harrington, was the best in this field and I worked alongside him on two very similar projects, though granted, nothing of this significance."

Severus instinctively took a step back as Lucy took her camera and began to snap pictures of the Carpet page in situ.

After she had done this, she began to utter a string of Latin and waved her wand over the parchment. A fine mist of blue light emitted from her wand. It fell over the page and dissipated into seeming nothingness.

Severus held his breath as Lucy chanted another string of complicated spells and the first page arose ever so slightly from the second. She pointed her wand between the small gap between the pages and repeated the misting spell.

He found it fascinating the care and concentration she gave her work. Severus wondered if that was how he looked when he was in the middle of one of his more complicated brews. The look on Lucy's face certainly mirrored his emotions when he was drawn into his art.

Lucy explained that this process was to protect the pigment and impede it from coming off the vellum. She had to repeat the spell on the second page so keep as little pigment as possible from being displaced during page removal.

When Lucy had finished this process, she walked around the tables and slowly levitated the carpet page to a flat surface. A soft anti-UV light shone through the bottom of the parchment. When Lucy was satisfied that the page was safe, she gestured for Severus to come and look.

"Look at this, Severus," Lucy said, now in purely academic mode. "I believe that this page already tells us something…here."

Severus stood next to Lucy and looked down at the illustration to which she pointed. "This is obviously Hogwarts," Lucy indicated to the drawing of the castle. "Notice the towers and the lower levels."

Severus pointed to different parts of the castle and the people placed within it. He was careful not to touch the page. "These represent the founders and their Houses," he correctly noted.

In one tower stood a man with red hair and a sword, in the other, a beautiful raven haired woman wearing a tiara. In a lower level of the castle was a portly woman with red hair, holding a golden cup and in the dungeon was a thin, balding man with a long, thin black beard.

"Yes," Lucy concurred. "What is important about these is that they are the only images we have of the Founders that we know were made during their lifetimes. So we can be fairly certain that these are accurate portrayals."

"But this is even more fascinating," Lucy pointed to the waving blue lines directly under the castle. "This represents the Black Lake." There was no depth to the illustration so it looked as though Hogwarts was floating directly on top of the lake, but what was beneath the lake was what really caught Lucy's eye.

"Is this a cave?" Severus asked, referring to an open space below the lake with a depiction of an impossibly large snake.

Lucy shook her head. "I don't think so, Severus," she said firmly. "I believe this may be documented evidence from a primary source, indicating that the Chamber of Secrets is no myth."

***2:24 p.m. ***

Lucy had been working practically non-stop all day. Earlier that afternoon, at Severus' insistence she agreed to have a table set up in the antechamber were she could indulge in a quick lunch.

Severus had taken that time to go down to Hagrid's hut and retrieve Harry. However, Harry was reluctant to leave because the Half-Giant was teaching him how to make rock cakes. Harry wanted to bring some to Miss Lucy because Hagrid had told him Miss Lucy was fond of rock cakes.

Severus had told Harry that they mustn't intrude any longer on the game keeper's time, but Hagrid had insisted that it was no intrusion and that he would be more than happy to watch over 'Young 'Arry' the rest of the afternoon.

After a bit of consideration, and thinking he really should make Hagrid clean up the flour-encrusted boy, Severus had decided that it would most likely be the last time he could indulge himself watching Lucy's fascinating work. So he told Hagrid that he would pick up Harry before tea. Severus then headed back up to the castle. He was unaware of the great, black Irish wolfhound that watched him from the nearby Forbidden Forest.


Lucy was felling better now. When Severus returned, he had thought to bring a mild potion that would dull the discomfort of the baby's movements.

Lucy and Severus were now working together to develop her new photographs. She clicked the photo enlarger, dodged and burned the paper and handed it to Severus for development. Magical cameras had the advantage of instantly developing film, but it was still up to the photographer process the pictures. Lucy would not trust the dodging and burning process to anyone else, as she knew exactly the effect she was trying to achieve.

Severus had talked her into allowing him to handle chemical process of the photo development. Some of the ingredients in the developer and fixer potions have never been tested on pregnant women and their unborn children. It was unlikely that the baby would be harmed by Lucy's mishandling of the potions, but they had both decided that it was better to err on the side of caution.

The last photograph quickly went through its development process and floated into the drying cabinet at the other side of the room. The red glow of the darkroom lights were still on and Severus watched Lucy as she prepared her equipment for storage. He was still looking at her when he banished the photographic potions. He stopped and stared at her.

"What?" Lucy turned to ask. She had felt Severus dark eyes gazing at her.

"Have I ever told you how very pretty you are?" he asked softly.

Lucy bit her bottom lip and averted her eyes. In fact, Severus had never said anything like that to her before. Kenneth had often commented that she was beautiful, but he was always patronising with his praise and it had come to mean very little to Lucy. But somehow simply being called 'pretty' and the way Severus had looked at her when he said it, made Lucy's heart jump.

Lucy turned her back to him and smiled to herself as she continued to pack her camera. "You ought to be careful of what you say Severus. Flattery will get you everywhere."

Severus walked over to where Lucy was at the work bench. He turned with his back to the bench so he could face her. He was smiling as he manipulated his head in an effort to make Lucy give him eye contact. "You also have the most hypnotic blue eyes I have ever seen," he said cheekily.

Lucy set her elbow on the workspace. She propped up her head and laughed at Severus in disbelief. "You know, you're simply incorrigible."

Severus chuckled and bent over to whisper into her ear. "You know, my darling…that we are in the most private heart of the castle. We could scream each other's names to the gods, and no one would ever hear us."

Lucy could feel the rumbling in Severus' chest as he spoke to her. She slowly stood upright and faced him, and gazing into his eyes in the surreal amber glow of the room. She could feel herself starting to give into him. She welcomed the sensation.

In the time it took their hearts to beat, they were locked in a passionate embrace. They had not made love since that first night and the desire to express their need for one another had finally reached its apex.

Severus took his wand out and banished everything from the work bench before he dropped it uncharacteristically to the floor. He lifted Lucy on top of the bench as his hand found its way up her skirt and deftly removed her knickers. While he was thus occupied, her fingers danced down the front of this chest, releasing the many buttons of his frock-coat as they did. He took his hands off of Lucy only long enough to remove his coat and linen shirt.

His body was on fire as Lucy ran her hands along his lean lower abdomen then caressed him between his legs.

Severus had miraculously somehow, if one could call such fumblings miracles, managed to remove his coat and shirt and through the muddled haze of passion he had relieved Lucy of her blouse and brassiere as well.

Lucy pulled Severus close to her and moaned as once again began to kiss him hungrily and she continued to stroke him through the bulging fabric over his trousers. "Why Professor Snape…you naughty, naughty boy," she panted in his ear.

Lucy suddenly felt Severus' lips on hers when he growled under his breath, "Flattery will get you everywhere."

Lucy backed farther on to the work table, and Severus hoisted himself up to join her. She laid back on the counter's cold hard surface. Severus put his left hand under her head and supported himself over Lucy by locking his arm pressing his fist into the counter top.

Severus was working on removing Lucy's skirt, her only remaining article of clothing, and Lucy had removed Severus' belt and undone his fly. She had him nearly free of his ever tightening trousers when…

"Severus?" Albus called from the Floo in the other room. "Severus, are you there?"

"Damn!" Severus and Lucy said in unison. Severus' chin dropped to his chest and Lucy plopped her head on his hand.

Lucy outstretched her hand from under Severus' body and summoned her wand from off the floor. Once the instrument flew into her waiting palm, she cast a charm she had learned in college for just such situations that allowed Albus to hear them without opening the door. Severus had not moved from his position over Lucy. "What is it old man?" he said irritably. "Lucy and I are in the middle of something…important."

Lucy had to stifle her laugh against Severus' shoulder as he looked at her with a raised eyebrow and shrugged. What else could he say? ... 'I'm about to shag your great niece on top of the darkroom table, sod off for half an hour'?

"Could it wait Uncle Albus? We really are at a critical stage here?" Lucy said with as much dignity as one could muster when they were laying with their bare breasted tits up in a compromising position and their 105 year old uncle was practically on the other side of the door.

Severus kissed Lucy on her nose, as if to applaud her efforts.

"I'm afraid it cannot. Severus I need you in my office post-haste."

Severus blew his hair out of his face to cover up his sigh. "Give us a moment to clean up down here and I'll be right there."

"I will see you shortly."

Lucy and Severus both rolled their eyes as they heard the slight tinge of amusement in Albus' voice.

Severus looked down regretfully at Lucy's nearly naked body. She looked so lovely with her blonde tresses fanned across the table. "You know…sometimes I truly loathe your great-uncle."

Severus reluctantly moved from his position over Lucy. He held his trousers closed with one hand as he slid over the side of the table.

Lucy continued to lay there and stared at the ceiling. She gave a long suffering sigh and said "Yep…he tends to cause that reaction in people."

She tilted her head to see Severus offering her a hand up. He had slipped his shirt on but had yet to button it. Lucy took his hand and Severus reached around and brought her legs over the side of the table. "Could you hand me my clothes please."

Severus gathered Lucy's effects and gave her a gentle kiss as he handed them to her. "I apologise for the interruption. It was not my intention to be a tease."

Lucy slipped on her bra and turned her back to Severus. "Would you please?" As Severus fastened her bra she said with a playful air, "Oh…don't worry about that Professor Snape. I will demand reckoning when you least expect it."


Severus' robes swept behind him as he ascended the spiral staircase to the Headmaster's office. Whatever this important meeting was, Severus hoped it would be over quickly. It was almost time for him to escort Harry back from the Hagrid's Hut, and then Lucy was to meet them at the Head table for supper.

Whatever Albus' reason was for calling him away from Lucy had better be damned good. Severus was in a foul mood that was fuelled by frustration…in more ways than one.

Severus was caught off guard as Albus' office door opened before he had a chance to announce himself. His heart nearly dropped from his chest at the sight of the new Minister of Magic, Cornelius Fudge sitting in front of Albus' desk. He was flanked on either side by Aurors. One of them Severus recognised as Alastor Moody. Severus scowled at the wizard. Mad-Eye Moody had done his damndest to have Severus thrown into Azkaban. There was definitely no love lost between the two.

Why were they here? Severus had a sinking feeling that they had found out about his bid to adopt Harry through the Muggle courts. Severus would see the lot of them rot in hell before they tried to stop him.

Albus stood up from behind his desk and gestured to Severus. "Please, sit down, Professor Snape."

At hearing the grave formality in Albus' tone, Severus thought to himself that this could not be good.

"I would rather stand if you don't mind," Severus said brusquely. "What is the meaning of this?" he indicated to the Ministry presence.

Fudge shifted rather uncomfortably in his chair. The Aurors remained still with the exception of Moody's ever-watchful and disturbing eye.

"I 'm afraid I have some alarming news, Severus," he raised his hand before Severus could voice any questions, "Before you become overwrought, …Harry is safe with Minerva as we speak."

Severus' face furrowed with confusion. He decided that perhaps it would be best to sit down. "With Minerva? Has something happened to Hagrid?"

Albus leaned into his desk and set his eyes on the Minister. They were not twinkling. "I think it would be appropriate for Minister Fudge to tell you himself."

Severus cast his black eyes to the stout, overly nervous wizard sitting in the chair next to him. Cornelius Fudge looked like he would bolt if a butterfly landed on his chair.

"Yes…well…" he began anxiously clearing his throat. "Sometime between nine o'clock last night and seven o'clock this morning, Sirius Black escaped from Azkaban."

The End.
End Notes:
I really must thank my beta, tambrathegreat, once again. She caught some HUGE errors in this chapter. That's what happens when you proof-read your own work at one o'clock in the morning. And you folks really need to check out her wonderful new story, 'You Can't Always Get What You Want'.

Please remember to review. That's the only payment Fanfic writers receive.
The Serious Guy by missyanne

***1 November, 5:17 p.m. ***

The Minister and his lackeys had finally left and Severus could let his guard fall in front of Albus.

Albus had sent for some single malt.  No doubt, he figured Severus could really use a stiff belt of liquid encouragement about now. Albus stood in front of his desk and poured two fingers into the cut crystal tumbler. He walked over to where Severus was sitting and offered his young friend the glass.

Severus' elbows rested on his knees and both of his hands covered his emotionally drained face. When he sensed Albus standing before him, Severus dragged his hands half-way down his face. His ebony eyes looked up at his old mentor. Seeing the offered whiskey glass, Severus sat up and leaned back in his chair. He accepted the glass from Albus. "What am I to do Albus?" he asked wearily. "Every instinct in me tells me to take Harry and leave, but I cannot condemn him to a life on the run."

Albus sat on the corner of his desk, and poured himself some of the same amber liquid. "It would do you no good if you did decide on that course of action," Albus concurred gravely. "If Sirius Black was desperate enough to attempt a break out from Azkaban and intelligent enough to succeed, then he will track you and Harry down no matter where you run."

Albus took a sip of whiskey and smacked his lips together before continuing, "You are safe here. The wards at Spinners End and the Burrow are strong. Black does not know where your home is located and has no reason to connect him to the Weasleys. It only stands to reason that Black will attempt to come here and no man can get beyond these walls if they are warded out."

"Yes…," Severus said ominously as he stared into his whisky glass. "They make the same claims about escaping from Azkaban." Severus sat his unfinished glass down on the side table. "Forgive me if I don't share your confidence."

"There is nothing to forgive." Albus said solemnly. "Tomorrow, I will call a meeting of the Heads so we can discuss appropriate security measures."

Fudge had insisted upon allowing Dementors to patrol the school, but Albus was equally against their presence. No Dementors. There was a pregnant professor at the school, and she could under no circumstances be exposed to Dementors. If Lucy were to become overexposed, she could give birth to something that was little more than an Inferi.

"Has anyone bothered to question Lupin?" Severus snapped. The question was legitimate. Remus Lupin and Sirius Black were like brothers in their youth. Lupin may know where Black may try to hide out. However, the old animosities that Severus had just barely begun to come to terms with were beginning to once again rear their ugly heads again. Severus could not help but to feel bitter and suspicious.

"Not yet." Albus told him, completely ignoring Severus' readily apparent ire towards his former schoolmate. "According to Aberforth, Remus was only awake for a couple of hours this morning after he transformed back into his human self. Remus is too deeply into his sleep. He cannot be awakened. We must wait until after the end of the current lunar cycle until we can question him on what knowledge he might have of Black's old haunts."

Severus arose and walked over to the window in Albus' office. Looking outside, Severus noted with some small sense of irony that the day looked as dreary as he felt right now. Fudge had not given an explanation as to why Black had suddenly snapped. The only information Severus received from the inept Minister and his minions was that the other prisoners on the corridor heard Black screaming for Harry's blood, but when the guards had arrived to check on the disturbance, Black had calmed down and was left to himself. By headcount the next morning Black was gone, and no one knew how it happened.

Moody had addressed Albus and told the Headmaster that Black's neighbour had a visitor at the time of the incident. Moody said they could not reveal the identity of the visitor or the prisoner at that time because the investigation was still ongoing.

It sounded like Thestral shite to Severus. Severus saw the look in Moody's good eye. The Auror was still angry that he had not managed to throw Severus in Azkaban after the fall of Voldemort. Severus could tell that Moody took a perverse pleasure in telling him that it was his, Severus' blood; Black was calling for, not Harry's. That was fine with Severus. It was better that Black focused his energies on him, his former nemesis, and not on Harry.

The question in Severus' mind was, how did Black find out his connection to Harry? The Ministry was keeping that hush too.

As Severus looked out across the Black Lake, he noticed the large a barn owl approach. It grasped what appeared to be a news paper in its talons. Severus stepped aside as the window opened to allow the owl entry. Severus had correctly surmised that the Daily Prophet was sending out a special edition, from which he could see the scowling face of Sirius Black plastered across the front page, but Severus had no desire read the article.

The wind that entered along with the owl was biting cold, but Severus was oblivious to it. It was only the first of November, but if it became much colder, Hogwarts could expect an early snow this year.

The owl had not even made it back out the window when Albus suddenly asked, "Where is Lucy?'

Severus snapped out of his reverie to see Albus reading the paper. "By now she should be in the Great Hall awaiting me and Harry… Why?" Severus strode over to Albus' desk and the Headmaster handed him the paper.

Severus quickly scanned the article and cursed under his breath. "Damn it."

"Exactly," Albus concurred. "We need to get to Lucy before she sees this article."

Severus tossed the paper on Albus' desk and the two wizards exited through the conference room that was off to the left and hurried through another door that led into the staff corridor.

The wizards had only just left the conference room, when they heard Lucy's voice bellow from the Great Hall. They couldn't help but to hear Lucy. Severus was sure Kenneth could hear her in Azkaban.

"THAT SON OF A BITCH!"

Albus froze in his tracks. "Oh dear…I think we're too late."

Severus' face contorted with frustration. "Shite!" he exclaimed and ran the rest of the way down the corridor in order to catch Lucy.

As Severus rounded the door that led to the Head table he noted that. Pomona, Aurora and Andrew Myers, the Muggle studies professor, were all out of their seats ready to rein in any chaos Lucy's outburst may have caused among the students, but instead, the Great Hall was silent.

Severus scanned his eyes until he caught sight of Lucy. She was marching towards the main entrance to the hall in a colossal rage. The heads of the students turned as their gazes followed the angry, diminutive witch. A flaming orange winter cloak materialised around Lucy as she exited the hall.

Severus did not have the time to be impressed by Lucy's potent display of rage induced magic. He had to catch her before she did something foolish.

Severus quickly took the steps down from the dias to the student floor and swept past the House tables. An unidentified student yelled "Be careful, Professor. She's in a right state!" as Severus exited the hall, he could hear the murmur of the students begin again.


Severus took the steps at the entrance of the castle three at a time. To his eyes, the world looked dead. The grass was now dead and brown, the leaves had long since fallen off of the trees, and the dark shadows of passing clouds could be seen between the bare branches, the full moon would occasionally limn the clouds in a ghostly silver.

The wind was whipping about him cold and sharp. The only students who had bothered to venture out were the members Gryffindor Quidditch team who were practicing for their first game with Slytherin following weekend.

Damn.

Lucy was already halfway down the path to the Disapparation point. Her flaming cloak was the only bit of colour that seemed to defy the dismal dusk.

Severus picked up his pace and called out to her. "Lucy!"

He was not sure if Lucy was ignoring him, or simply could not hear over the wind. "LUCY!" Severus called even louder. Now he was at an outright run to catch up with her.

Lucy had not paid attention Severus' approach. When he was finally beside her he reached out and grabbed Lucy's arm and spun her around to face him.

"What, Severus?" In her misplaced anger, she spat at him. Her hand had a white-knuckle grip on her wand. Wherever Lucy was going…she meant business.

Lucy's lack of surprise to see him had confirmed to Severus, that she had indeed heard him call. But Severus let that small detail pass for now.

"Where in the Hell do you think you're going?" he said, breathing heavily and doing a poor job keeping his own anger in check.

"Your son needs you, Severus!" Lucy said with a hint of warning as tried to free herself from Severus' his grasp. "I'm going to Azkaban! That Bastard is going to beg for death by the time I'm through with him!"

With a jerk of her shoulders, Lucy broke free from Severus, but he managed to wrap an arm around her midsection and held her back.

"Azkaban! Are you daft, woman? What the Hell has gotten into that brain of yours?"

"Let me go, Severus! Didn't you see the Prophet? It was Kenneth. Kenneth told Black about you and Harry." Severus could feel the rise and fall of Lucy's breathing quicken as she desperately tried to keep from crying.

Severus had only scanned part of the article in his haste. Some upstart reporter named Rita Skeeter had managed to sneak into Azkaban and interview Black's neighbour. Of course it had to be Musgrave. From what Severus had quickly read, Musgrave had indeed spoken to Black. Musgrave would have never had known Black was also Harry's godfather, if he had not heard it from Black's own mouth.

Lucy, however, had read the entire article.

Kenneth Musgrave had told the reporter that he believed Black was truly mad. Black claimed that Harry Potter was his godson, and that he, Black, had been imprisoned without a trail and his godson was given over to a real Death Eater.

Musgrave claimed he had fallen asleep at some point during Black's ramblings and Black had escaped at some point after that.

It was obvious that Black was raving. Of course he would not have been convicted and sent to Azkaban without a trial. Bartemius Crouch had made an impressive public display announcing how the evidence against Black had been overwhelming and how the emergency session of the Wizengamot had found Black guilty by a unanimous decision.

Albus had not been there for Black's trial. He had been called away when his niece, Lucy's grandmother, had died from a prolonged illness in the United States. She had died only two days after Voldemort's downfall. Albus had made it back to London just in time for Severus' hearing.

Whoever this Skeeter woman was, she had concluded that Black's guilt over betraying the Potter's had sent him over the deep end and that it was quite possible he was looking for Harry right now. Black's deranged mind may believe he is saving Harry Potter from his former Death Eater guardian, Severus Snape. But would Black snap again and try to kill Harry if he ever laid his hands on the child?

It was an irresponsible article written with a sensational slant with the intent of instilling panic in the wizarding community.

Lucy had been surprised that nothing was mentioned about why Kenneth was imprisoned. Lucy doubted the Skeetter woman even asked. It was obvious she was only intent upon digging up as much dirt on Sirius Black and Harry Potter as she could, and not giving a wit about the trustworthiness of her source.

"Yes, I saw the story in the Prophet." Severus told her. "But I can't allow you to run off half cocked to Azkaban."

"Don't go telling me what you will and will not let me do, Severus Snape," Lucy said darkly as she still tried to struggle her way past Severus. She did not want to hex the man she loved, but she would do it if she had to. "I'm a big girl, Severus…I don't need you to…"

Severus had had enough. Lucy was blinded with anger and she had to come to her senses. He spun her around, held her by the shoulders and stared directly into her eyes. "Then stop acting like an angry child and think about what you are doing!" he said to her abrasively. "Do you really intend to march your arse into Azkaban and expose your unborn child to Dementors?"

That had sunk in.

Lucy's face palled as she realised what she was about to do. Her anger was now replaced with frustration and guilt.

"Oh my God…You're right. I can't go to Azkaban," Lucy said thickly. She stood there for a moment as she thought about what she had almost done, tears welled in her eyes.

Lucy wiped a tear from her face with the palm of her shaking hand. "What the hell was I thinking?" Her tone was full of despair. "But, Severus …what I'm I going to do? He sent that…that monster after…after Harry…After a baby."

Lucy turned her head away in shame as she continued to wipe away tears. She blamed herself for bringing this horror down on Severus and Harry. She felt it was her responsibility to right it.

Severus gently pulled Lucy's hand away from her face and gave her a clean handkerchief from his pocket. "What you will do is stay here and help me to keep watch over Harry." Severus said as calmly as he could. "I have no doubt you could handle yourself in Azkaban and I am touched by your protectiveness of Harry, but I won't let you risk your child for mere revenge."

Her lips were pursed in frustration, Lucy nodded gave a weak nod in defeated concession. Severus may be right, but it didn't help her feeling of helplessness. In her entire life, she never thought she was capable of hating someone…but right now…she truly hated Kenneth Musgrave.

She turned from Severus and walked back in the direction of the castle. Severus watched as she stopped. Her cloak billowed around her in the wind and he could see her shoulders tense and her wand hand shake. In a flash Lucy whipped out her wand and let her frustration go.

"Argh!" The small holly bush that was once setting along the side of the path was now in ashes.

Severus noticed she had scarred a stray dog from where it had been seeking refuge from the wind behind a tree about twenty yards off. It ran off in the direction of the Whomping Willow. It was probably one of Hagrid's new acquisitions.

Lucy composed herself and spoke to no one in particular, "You know…my old college roommate, Michelle Louviere is Voodoo Queen in New Orleans," Lucy pondered. "She makes these exquisite anatomically correct Voodoo Dolls…A man doesn't actually need his testicles in Azkaban…does he?"

Severus was silent as he watched the witch he loved make her way back to the castle. He stood there for a moment, balled his fists tight and shoved them in his pocket in a gargantuan effort to keep from cupping his groin protectively.

Severus wished that Lucy could go to Azkaban. Musgrave would get no less than he deserved. Severus secretly hoped that if he didn't get his hands on Sirius Black, Lucy would. He had just become keenly aware that Hell hath no fury like Lucille O'Conner when she is really pissed off.


Sirius Black had retreated back to the Shrieking Shack. It had laid on about two more centimetres of dust since he was last there, but it was still less filthy than Azkaban. At least the memories he was haunted with here were happier than the ones he was tormented with in Azkaban.

Sirius had been hoping to sneak inside the castle and sniff out Harry and possibly nick a wand off an unsuspecting first year. A first year losing a wand would not be looked upon with suspicion and Sirius needed a wand. At the moment, he could only perform a few wandless spells. He would need a wand before he even attempted to confront Snape. At least he could Disapparate. But Sirius would give anything to perform a warming spell right now. He could make a fire in the hearth the Muggle way, but the smoke from the chimney would draw attention. He needed to at least get Harry before he Disapparated to safety.

Sirius could not believe his luck when he spotted the boy by the gamekeeper's hut. His heart ached when he saw how much his godson resembled James.

Harry looked happy and hale. But Sirius knew the boy was in mortal peril in Snape's hands. At first, Sirius could not think of a logical reason Snape would want to raise Harry Potter, then it hit him.

Power.

Snape was jockeying for power. It also made sense as to why he went after Musgrave's fiancé. She was a Dumbledore, if not in name, she was in blood. Snape was trying to ingrain himself into a powerful family. And if Snape could rally the Death Eaters around him by being the wizard to raise and influence the child who defeated Lord Voldemort…well it was clear to Sirius that Snape would try to raise Harry to be a dark wizard, and he would set up himself or Harry as a new Dark Lord.

Once upon a time…Sirius would have thought the entire scenario was ludicrous. But Dumbledore was still alive and allowed him to rot in Azkaban for five years. Something had to have happened to the old man's senses. It wouldn't surprise Sirius one bit to discover that Dumbledore was either dark or daft. Why else would he give Harry to Snape?

The only thing Sirius knew was that he had to get Harry away from Snape, and kill Snape if he had the chance. No doubt Snivellus had to do quite a bit of power brokering to get his hands on Harry. He would not let go of the boy easily.

Sirius was thankful he met Musgrave when he did. Why hadn't it occurred to him to use his Animagus form to escape before now? He wished he could have brought Musgrave along with him. Sirius' task would have been far easier to pull off with two wizards. Unfortunately, it would be a while before Musgrave could hold his form long enough to fly.

Musgrave had been worried that the small broken bone in his hand would equate to a broken wing, but Sirius told him that it was not necessarily the case. Small bones tended to morph with larger bones during the transfiguration. It was the large bones that would take most of the stress. Musgrave's ulna would become the main bone in his wing structure. A small hairline fracture in his metacarpal should not affect much-if anything.

Sirius encouraged Musgrave to continue practicing. If Musgrave makes made good his escape, he was to go to a pre-determined place and leave word of his whereabouts. Sirius would go once a month to see if Musgrave leaves a message and make contact from there.

Sirius had told Musgrave to claim that he, Sirius, had gone mad. Musgrave would be questioned, and to have him question Sirius' sanity, would divert suspicion away from Musgrave.

Too bad the weather had been so dismal tonight. Sirius had finally seen Musgrave's Lucy. Sirius heard Snivellus call out to her, but the wind had cut off the rest of their conversation. Sirius could not see her face because it had been cloaked, but he couldn't help but notice her fiery temper.

Sirius was attempting to get himself closer so he could hear their conversation, but when she had incinerated the very holly tree he had intended to hide behind, Sirius thought better of getting too close to her.

Musgrave had told him that Lucy had been a sweet, unassuming, and demure witch. To Sirius, Lucy seemed cross, hotheaded, and impudent. It must be Snape's negative influence, Sirius supposed.

Sirius took the dust encrusted blanket from the bed and attempted to shake it out. The cloud of dust only managed to settle back onto the bed and give Sirius a sneezing fit.

He began to turn down his grimy bed when he stopped. He remembered how he, James, and Peter would have to chain Remus to this very bed during the full moon.

Tonight was a full moon. Although Sirius still harboured resentment towards his old friend for never visiting him, he could not help but wonder how Remus was faring. Sirius had no way to know Remus' circumstances. Sirius did not even know if his old friend was still alive. Wherever Remus Lupin was tonight, Sirius hoped he was safe and well looked after.

And Peter. There was another who Sirius needed to make sure he dispatched.

Sirius had to stop thinking. There was too much to consider… such as how was he going to manage take out his vendettas whilst on the run with a six year old child? Sirius resolved he would think about that after he got Harry back. Once Harry was safe, he could then think about how he would make the world right again.

***5:42 p.m. ***

Severus stepped through the Fat Lady's portrait and into the Gryffindor common room. Albus had given Severus the password so he could retrieve Harry from Minerva.

The common room was uncannily quiet and the reason became abundantly clear when Severus saw who sat in the wingback chair closest to the fire place. Minerva McGonagall was still there watching over Harry as he played Gob-stones with some of the older children.

Minerva had no way of entertaining a small child in her quarters, so she opted to bring Harry to the common room where he could find diversion with the other children. At least he knew the Weasley boys. However, with Black on the loose, she refused to leave the child without adult supervision. So she graded papers as the children quietly played.

To the first years, seeing Harry Potter was still somewhat of a novelty and they tended to hold back on the outskirts of the room or on the stairs. The older children had become used to the Boy-Who-Lived, living and playing amongst them at Hogwarts. To them, Harry had become an ordinary little kid.

Even seeing Professor Snape, the sternest Professor to grace the Halls of Hogwarts since Minerva McGonagall, casually walk into the Gryffindor common room had not shocked most of the students.

In his first year teaching, Severus Snape had been on the fast track of earning himself the dubious title of the Greasy Bat of the Dungeon. Snape had been beyond strict; he was blatantly cruel to nearly all but a few favoured students. However, after he had become the guardian of Harry Potter, the students noticed a slow change in the Professor's usually sour demeanour.

This year the change was even more evident. Snape was no longer biting and unfair. Oh…make no mistake about it…he ran his classroom with an iron glove hand and put up with nothing. He could still make a Seventh year N.E.W.T. student wet their pants if he really wanted to.

But at least now he would wait until after a lesson to really lay into a student, rather than humiliating them in front of the entire class. And now instead of giving outright zeros for mucking up a potion, he gave detentions with a chance to re-brew. A student would take an automatic fifteen point loss in their grade, but a low grade was better than no grade at all.

To the older student's the reasons for the change in their professor it was no big mystery. The first was fatherhood, the second was a girlfriend. It was no secret that Professor Snape and Dr. O'Conner were a hot item.

Unknown to the staff at Hogwarts, there were two betting pools going about the sixth and seventh year students. The first concerned whether or not Professor Snape was actually the father of Dr. O'Conner's baby, and the second was how long it would be before Dr. O'Conner sported a ring from their Potions Master.

Harry had his back to Severus, but he noticed when everybody's attention had switched from the game to what was going on behind him.

In his usual manner, Harry jumped up and yelled, "Daddy!" as ran over and hugged Severus' leg.

Severus' lips pursed with embarrassment at Harry's unabashed show of affection in front of the entire Gryffindor House.

Try though Severus might, he could not seem to instil the concept of decorum into Harry. The child still insisted upon calling him 'Daddy' in front of the student body, no matter how much Severus insisted that 'Godfather' or even 'Father' was more appropriate.

Without thinking how doting he looked, Severus instinctively picked up Harry and settled the boy on his hip.

"Severus." Minerva said as she arose from her the chair and put down her grading. "What have you…?"

Severus shook his head and put a silencing finger to his lips. "Albus is calling a meeting of the Heads in the morning." he informed her. "So..." Severus said, turning his attention to Harry. "I take it you behaved for Professor McGonagall?"

Harry rolled his eyes in exasperation, "Why do you always ask that? I'm always good." Harry said, affronted by his daddy even questioning his behaviour.

Severus managed to keep his scoff in check, but Minerva had not. "He was fine, Severus," she said good- humouredly before turning a firm gaze over the rim of her glasses to her lions. "I only wished all of our students were half so well behaved."

Severus matched her gaze as he looked around the room at the students, as if they dared to try and corrupt his innocent son. The students scrambled in an effort to find something to do that seemed 'innocent'.

Severus took his leave of Minerva and stepped out of the portrait hole and headed towards the dungeon. When they were in the corridor, Severus set Harry down to walk on his own, but still took hold the boy's hand. Harry had grown some and he tended to become heavy, quickly.

Severus was making sure to keep pace with Harry's short legs. Harry looked up at him when he noticed they weren't heading towards the Great Hall. "I thought we were having dinner with Miss Lucy?"

"We were," Severus said as he looked down at Harry. "But she has had an upsetting day and has retired to her rooms for the evening." That had been a sore spot with Severus. He did not believe that Lucy should be alone tonight, but she was being stubborn. Severus could not convince her that Black's escape was not somehow her fault.

"Is she upset about that serious prisoner guy?"

Severus stopped in his tracks. Harry pulled at his arm because he had not realised his daddy had stopped so suddenly. Severus' brow furrowed with fear and confusion. "What? Where did you hear that?"

Harry shrugged, "Just some kids. Everybody seems to be afraid of some guy because he's serious."

If the topic hadn't been so…well… serious, Severus would have laughed at Harry's childish interpretation of the whole situation.

Harry noticed his daddy's concern, but didn't understand it. "I don't know why everybody is so scared," he said innocently. "You're serious and you're not scary at all."

The End.
End Notes:
Thanks once again to the World's best Beta...Tambra. Please remember to leave a review. Not only do I enjoy reading them, I really do draw inspiration from them.
One Fine Day Goes to Hell by missyanne

***6 November, 1986 ***

It was Thursday afternoon and Severus would normally spend his lunch with Lucy, as was their custom on Tuesdays and Thursdays. He had stopped by her office to ask one more time if she would join them, but she had made appointments with two of her students who asked for help in locating some primary resource materials. She intended on having a working lunch after the children left. Lucy had brought her photographs of the spell book and calligraphy tools in order to practice matching Salazar Slytherin's script.

"Severus, as I much as I would love to see you pitching a ball to the children," Lucy could barely maintain a straight face. "I simply have too much on my plate today."

Lucy couldn't believe that Severus was going to teach the children how to play Cricket, of all things. She relentlessly teased him about 'going jock', whatever the hell that meant. Severus was certain it was some type of Yank insult.

"It's not 'pitching'," Severus said with a bit of self righteous annoyance. "It is referred to as 'bowling', and you're trying to divert the subject again. You need to get out and get some fresh air," he said with a bit more emphasis.

Severus was more than a bit worried about Lucy. Over the last few days she had been buried so deeply in her feelings of guilt, he was afraid it was taking a toll upon her health. Lucy had taken on pallor, and Severus doubted it was from lack of sunlight. Her next checkup was approaching soon and Severus would make sure to voice his concerns to Poppy.

Lucy still believed Black's escape was her fault, in some warped-convoluted fashion. Severus kept telling her that she was in no way to blame for either Musgrave's or Black's actions, but the witch was being hard on herself. The fact that it looked like Black may not have made good his escape had gone a long way towards bringing Lucy back to her good humour, but she still looked a bit haggard. Today was the first time Severus had even seen Lucy smile since Black's escape, and Severus did not wish to ruin it by divulging his lingering concerns.

Lucy stuck her tongue out at him in response. "You now, if you keep doing stuff like this, your reputation as the 'Big, Bad, Scary Potions Master' will be ripped to shreds before you know it." Lucy reached into her desk drawer to pull out her reading glasses she knew she would need soon.

Severus smiled thinly as he spun her around in her chair to face him as he leaned over her. "I'm not falling for it, Lucy. You should join us for lunch outside after you finish here… and I do not do 'stuff'," he said the last a bit defensively.

Lucy gave him a peck on the cheek, then patted his face patronisingly in the spot she kissed him. "Of course you don't, Darling"

He was about to tell her if she continued to be cheeky he would bend her over his knee, when there was a soft *ahem* coming from the direction of the office door.

"If you haven't convinced her by now, Severus, I don't think there is much hope for it" Molly said jovially. Severus immediately looked over Lucy's shoulder and pursed his lips in irritation. Lucy turned her chair around only to face Molly Weasley standing at the door with a brood of grinning children trying to jostle their way into position to see what was happening.

Harry made his way to the front of the pack and wondered over to Lucy's desk. "You are going to come out with us, aren't you? Daddy's going to teach us how to play Cricket!"

Lucy sighed. She really couldn't join them all for lunch.

Severus then asked her to join himself and Harry for dinner in their quarters. He watched as her eyes could no longer hold their smile. She was trying to hide something from him but even with her best efforts at subterfuge, she wasn't fooling Severus. Something was not right with Lucy and he intended to watch her like a hawk.

***12:24 p.m. ***

Severus couldn't believe he had agreed to this madness, but 'the natives were restless', as it where.

With the revelation that Sirius Black had escaped from Azkaban, Hogwarts was in a lockdown of sorts. With the exception of those who were of age, all students were on a strict schedule. All excursions off Hogwarts grounds were canceled indefinitely, including Hogsmeade visits and any outings Lucy had planned for her classes. Security simply could not be guaranteed. Also, all students had to be inside the castle walls no later than sunset, as dusk came early this time of year, it put a severe damper on Quidditch practices, a matter in which Severus had to emphasize to his team that he would tolerate no bending of the rules.

It was also decided that for now, Harry would remain at Hogwarts or Spinner's End, as the protection Wards were strongest at those locations.

Unfortunately, this was a logistical nightmare for Molly. Albus had provided ample space to accommodate that many young children in an unused corridor of the castle. But Flooing back and forth between the Burrow and Hogwarts everyday was harrowing, even for an experienced Mother Hen like Molly Weasley. Severus would have preferred his own home to Hogwarts, but it was far too small to accommodate six young children for the majority of the day.

Lucy had suggested a temporary alternative, one in which neither Severus nor Harry was entirely thrilled about, though their reasons differed.

Lucy had recommended that Severus ask Alf to watch over Harry at either his home or at Hogwarts. Alf usually only worked the weekends for Pawpaw in the pub, and he was trustworthy as well as available.

As much as Severus was working through his outward hostility towards Remus Lupin, he still wasn't sure if he could trust the Werewolf around Harry, and not necessarily because of his Lycanthropy, which was under adequate control. Truth be told, Severus wasn't sure he wanted Lupin's influence on Harry. He was concerned that Lupin may try to shape Harry into another James Potter, and therein lie insanity.

But even more importantly, Severus wondered if Lupin still was devoted to Sirius Black. Severus wasn't concerned that Lupin was in secret service to the Death Eaters, the Werewolf was an unfailingly loyal lapdog to James Potter and would have died rather than betray him, but did Lupin truly believe Black was guilty? He may consider his old friend incapable of betraying his friends and killing over a dozen Muggles. If Black found his way back to his old stomping grounds, Lupin, who had an annoying habit of always assuming the best in people's nature, may inadvertently let the murderer too close to Harry so the bastard might have a chance to explain himself.

No… Severus would need some serious convincing before he left Harry alone with Remus Lupin.

Harry said he would miss playing with the Weasley's too much, a point in which Severus and Lucy saw as a valid one. But at the moment, it was a moot point. Remus Lupin was still unavailable, so even if Severus agreed to Lucy's proposal (which he wouldn't), there was no guarantee that Lupin would take the job, though Severus doubted seriously that Remus Lupin would not jump at the opportunity to help James Potter's son in his magical education.

Severus was kicking himself in concern to Lupin. Even though Severus was concerned about Lupin introducing Harry to Black, he was probably borrowing trouble. Nearly a week after Black had escaped, Lupin had yet to hear news of it and it was Severus' fault. Severus had given Remus some phials of the pain reliever for combating Cruciatus pain. It was meant to help Lupin recover from the pain of his violent transformations faster.

It had worked.

Unfortunately, in combination with Dr. O'Conner's improved Wolfsbane formulation, Severus' potion had succeeded in rendering Lupin all but comatose during his human phase. At this juncture, two days into the waning moon, Lupin was still recovering. That was a finding Severus needed to inform Dr. O'Conner of. The problem was, for the past two days, Lupin was still incoherent…not an altogether bad thing, though Severus would never dare say that to Lucy, but it was impossible to discern what he may know about Black's whereabouts.

Thus far, there had been no sightings of Sirius Black since an old Bloomogganner claimed to have spotted him along the coast of Peterhead sometime early on the morning of November first. That sighting had remained unconfirmed. Severus had personally hoped the idiot had managed to drown himself in his escape attempt.

But such assumptions could not be made and the staff could not afford to let down their guard as of yet. The safety of the students was first priority. So Albus had declared lunch to be a picnic so the children may have a chance for some fresh air before curfew. The entire school was out of doors for lunch, taking advantage of the fine weather.

Between the horrible weather of the past week and the fear of an escaped murderer keeping everybody inside, Hogwarts now suffered an epidemic of Cabin Fever. Pranks had been flying down the corridors at an alarming rate, and if it kept up too much longer, the once hallowed halls of Hogwarts were going to end up coming down around their ears (asses' ears in the case of Stanley Shunpike, one of Severus' second year Snakes).

Severus hadn't seen so many unnatural shades hair, skin, and eyes, not to mention the diverse and frightening amount of animal appendages the students had inexplicably sprouted, since the days of the Marauders. Something had to be done before poor Madam Pomfrey, along with the rest of the staff, ended up in St. Mungo's with a case of magical exhaustion or student induced lunacy… whichever came first.

After Albus had turned down Severus' half hopeful suggestion that they expel the entire student body and start over from scratch, the Potions Master was ready to take Harry and Lucy, and leave the damned place to the little demons. Let Albus could clean up the bloody mess.

Fortunately, it now appeared as if the entire population of the school was taking their lunch al fresco that afternoon and for the first time in days-Black bedamned- the school had seemingly found a sense of relative normalcy. The air was still chill, but the sun and student spirits were high, so the day seemed warmer than it actually was.

And of course Hogwarts new pseudo-day school class, as it were, was eager to get out and enjoy the day just as much as everyone else. Severus, however, was not ready to let Harry outside and out of his sight yet. As a result of some pointed suggestions from the oldest Weasleys in the group, Severus had joined Molly and her six young charges along with his godson.

Severus did not mind watching over the children, but he couldn't believe the Weasley kits had managed to get him to agree to this. Why couldn't he have kept his big mouth shut?

Severus used to catch Test Matches on the telly when he was young. Yes, Severus may have known the rules to Cricket, but he never actually played the bloody game before. The closest he ever came to a game was placing wagers for his dad with the local punter.

As Severus strode out of the castle behind Molly and the children he wondered to himself, why couldn't the children settle on proper wizarding game? Now Severus could play a wicked game of Gobstones. His mum had been captain of the Hogwart's Gobstone team and had taught her son well. Not only that, it could be played inside and away from curious onlookers and vicious murderers. Unfortunately, Severus had to resign himself to the fact; the whole point for his presence was to allow the children to play outside.

Arthur Weasley had managed to get his hands on a Muggle Cricket set, and now the children expected him, Severus Snape, Former Death Eater, Feared Potion's Master, and all around Snarky Git, to teach them how to play bloody Cricket! Severus may have managed to stave off the Twins and young Ronald, but once Harry had begun to whinge along with the rest of the Weasley clan, Severus had to acquiesce or he would never hear the end of it at home.

The children had become especially excited to hear that the game was played on a pitch and there was a player known as the keeper.

"Just Like in Quidditch!" was the exclamation from the horde.

"You have to teach us…"
"…now, Professor Snape, please." The red-headed doppelgangers had begged.


The grounds around the castle were dotted with students. Heads turned as they noticed the professor following behind a gang of ankle bitters. Seeing Professor Snape interact with Harry Potter had become a common and mundane occurrence around Hogwarts, but it was mostly limited to him watching Harry play, or at most skipping stones across the Black Lake with the young boy.

Snape taking charge of a pack of little monsters bordered on bizarre. Few students regarded Severus Snape as an evil git who lorded over the dungeons, waiting for unsuspecting firsties to inadvertently wander into his lair so he might waylay them with the most unimaginably cruel detentions ever doled out at Hogwarts…well...not anymore... much. But he was still snarky and unpleasant to almost everyone and favoured his Slytherins with unrepentant conspicuousness.

The only people, who actually seemed to like the dour Potions Master on a personal level, were the Headmaster, Harry Potter, the goat man who ran the Hog's Head, and Dr. O'Conner. Everybody knew the Headmaster had to at least he pretend he liked Professor Snape, Harry was too young to know better, the goat man was plain barmy, and no one had any idea as to why Dr. O'Conner liked Professor Snape.

But now here was Snape, not only with Harry Potter, but also with what looked like none other than the younger siblings of one of the Gryffindor Prefects and the Quidditch team's Seeker. People were waiting for the inevitable earthquake that would result from the entire planet flipping on its axis.

"I think we're going to have to go almost all the way to Hagrid's hut before we can find a place to play!" Harry had called back to the crowd.


Since the Weasley tribe was on Harry's home ground now, and he knew all about Hogwarts, they allowed the younger boy to lead the way. Ron was happily trotting along beside Harry. The twins were behind the two younger boys, carrying a blue canvas equipment bag between them. Alongside the twins, Percy was holding on to Ginny's hand, and the adults, Molly and Severus, followed behind the lot of them. There was a large picnic hamper floating in front of Severus.

Severus had decided that the group had gone far enough, "Stop right there, Harry!"

The group was about one hundred meters from the side of Hagrid's hut. Severus did not want chance breaking any windows. Even though they were going to be closer to the older children than Harry would have liked, Severus thought having to deal with a crowd of students was preferable to having the children playing too close to the Forbidden Forest.

Severus let the hamper settle under a Rowan tree then went to help the boys unpack the equipment bag.

The leaves had long since fallen, but as the sun helped to take the chill out of the air. Neither he nor Molly bothered to erect a shaded shelter.

Whilst Molly unpacked the hamper, she reminded the Potions Professor gently, "Severus…the children need to eat first."

The concern of the older children taking an interest in their activities had been a valid one as Bill Weasley snuck up behind his mother; a few of his Gryffindor friends were standing back, curious as to what was going on.

"Hey Mum," Bill reached around Molly and grabbed an apple from out of the hamper. He asked as he crunched into his apple…"Is that the Grasshopper game Dad wrote us about?"

"It is… But I think Severus informed us that it's called Cricket. Where's Charlie? Has he eaten?" she asked as she continued to unpack.

Bill rolled his eyes. "He decided to get some broom time in whilst he could. You know Quidditch fanatics. Mum, do you think we can give this Gr- Cricket a go?" he said, indicating his friends lurking behind him. They were wary of getting too close with Professor Snape nearby. Bill had yet to convince them that Snape would not dock points from Gryffindor for breathing the same air as they.

Molly leaned over and gave her oldest son a pat on the shoulder. "Not this time dear. Let the little ones have their fun." Bill squirmed uncomfortably under Molly's coddling and gave her a look that begged her not to act quite so motherly in front of his mates.

"Hey…We're not little!" Ron called out as the children descended on the picnic blanket like Nifflers on gold.

***1:34 p.m. ***

Lucy was sat at her desk, her elbow was cocked on top of the smooth surface and her head leaned into her left hand. In her other hand, she was idly twirling a long swan's flight feather upright in a jar of hot sand. She was tempering the shaft of the feather so to shape and notch her quill. She wasn't doing a very good job of it.

She exhaled a long suffering sigh…an honest one.

It took quite a bit out of her to put on a good game face for Severus. He had enough to worry about taking care of Harry. Lucy did not want him fretting over her as well. Truthfully, she did not need to work on her research now. The effort would be wasted if she did. But she did not think she had the energy for a picnic today.

Lucy had not been sleeping well lately. In fact, if she were to admit the truth, she had turned into somewhat of an insomniac. She had been worrying about Sirius Black and his intentions towards Harry and Severus, thinking that if anything were to happen to either one of them, she would never forgive herself. Lucy had been unable to suppress the horrific images of Black, and what he would do if he should get his hands on the men she loved so dearly.

She considered taking her concerns to Alf once he recovered, then thought better of it. Alf had never once mentioned Sirius Black during his time in the States. The betrayal of his former best friend was obviously and understandably a sensitive subject.

It was a shame that Dreamless Sleep potion was off limits to her now that she was in her second trimester. In an effort to rid herself of consequent guilt-ridden nightmares, Lucy had taken to holing herself up in her scriptorium at night, eschewing the comfort that Severus might offer. It just seemed a little hypocritical to her to use him that way when she was the cause of his current straights. The time away from him and Harry had not done any good as far as her research was concerned. Her brain was too fuzzy to retain any information.

Lucy's eyes had become heavy with sleep when she was nearly startled out of her chair as her Floo came to life.

"Lucy…" Aberforth called out urgently. "Have you seen Severus or Albus? They're not in their offices."

"Severus went outside with Harry and the Weasley children…I have no clue where Uncle Albus went." Lucy knew if her great grandfather was actively seeking his brother, then something terrible had happened. "Step through Pawpaw."

The Floo roared and Lucy arose from her chair. She shook herself out of her stupour as Aberforth stepped through. Lucy was taken by surprise again when Alf stepped out directly after her grandfather.

"Alf…You're awake."

"No time." Remus said as he gave his friend a quick kiss in greeting on her cheek. "I have to speak to Albus and Severus."

Lucy looked between the two men. Something was wrong. Very wrong. She hadn't seen Pawpaw this agitated since her grandmother had taken ill, and Alf was so upset, he looked as though he was about to turn his wand on himself.

As much as Lucy wanted to ask questions, at the moment it was more important to find Severus. "This way." Lucy quickly led the men out of her classroom and into the corridor.

The halls of the school were nearly empty with the exception of a few sixth and seventh year students. Almost everyone else had been back in class for nearly a half an hour.

"Where is everyone?" Remus asked as he looked about the halls.

"Class," Lucy said simply as she headed down the stairwell. Her classroom was close to one of the outer courtyards, but she knew if Severus and the children were going to play something that needed an expanse of space, they would be on the main grounds.

"I don't suppose either of you men are going to let me in on this little mystery?-Damn these moving staircases!" Lucy exclaimed as they were forced to wait for the staircase to stop moving before they could be on their way. She turned towards Aberforth and Remus and looked at them, conveying her impatience with a lifted brow and a tapping foot.

Remus and Aberforth looked at each other and then at Lucy. They both looked as if they knew she would find out whatever their news was, but neither wanted to tell her. After seconds of hesitation, Remus appeared resigned to the fact that it was his news to tell. "Sirius Black is an unregistered Animagus…"

Lucy's impatient twitches stopped and she went paler than she already was. Severus wasn't the only one who had seen the black stray that had so suddenly shown up last weekend. "Holy shit…He's a great black dog, isn't he?"

The look on Alf's face was all the affirmation Lucy needed. When the stairs finally settled into place, Lucy ran out of the castle as fast as her short legs would carry her, Remus and Aberforth followed her quickly.


It did not take long to find Severus, Molly and the children. The students had long since cleared out and gone back to classes, leaving the younger children to have the grounds to themselves. Severus was over talking to Molly while the children were cleaning up their makeshift pitch.

It looked as though Harry was supposed to gather up the second wicket, but something had caught the young boy's attention and he was wandering off towards a nearby tree line. Lucy's heart nearly stopped when she spotted a figure of a huge black dog, wallowing happily in the grass.

Remus pushed his way past Lucy with his wand drawn and pointed determinedly ahead of him.

"SEVERUS!" he shouted, "Get Harry away from that dog!"

Severus' and Molly's heads craned away from the picnic basket as Aberforth and Lupin ran at full speed toward the dog with their wands drawn. Lucy had stopped just long enough to send out two Patronus messengers, one flew off into the sky as the other flew into the castle.

The kids looked up to see who was shouting. Even Harry stopped in his tracks and turned around. He turned back to see what could have been so wrong with the nice dog, but the dog had taken off and was now heading directly into the Forbidden Forest.

Lucy watched as Harry turned around again, only to have his daddy snatch him up into his arms and run back up towards their picnic area. It was evident that he could see on his daddy's face that he was in trouble for wondering off.

"I'm sorry, Daddy. I didn't mean to…" Lucy could hear the fear in the little boy's voice as she drew near.

"Not now, Harry," Severus snapped as Lupin and Aberforth ran past them in a futile effort to catch up with Black.

Lucy was gratified that Severus had not even waited for Lupin to explain why it was so imperative to keep Harry away from the dog, not that Severus would allow Harry to wander close to a strange animal. It was evident that Severus, however, knew their shouted commands had more to do with Harry trying to pet a stray dog.

Severus was a brilliant man by all rights. With the sudden appearance of Lupin, it did not take a genius to realise that the black dog that had been wondering the school grounds since Saturday was indeed Sirius Black.

Molly had her brood gathered protectively around her by the time Severus had reached her. Harry had been apologising since ever Severus had picked him up. "We'll talk about this later, Harry," Severus said firmly, as he left Harry in Molly's capable hands.

Lucy had finally made it down to where everyone was gathered. She was still gasping for breath and clasping her chest when she said, "I sent messages to Minerva and Uncle Albus." Lucy had no sooner made the statement when Professors Flitwick and Kettleburn came around from the far side of the castle with Hagrid.

Severus gave her a quick look of concern then hastened to his colleagues to inform them that Black had escaped into the forest, and that Aberforth and Lupin were in pursuit. They had received word from Minerva that Black was in on the grounds. Minerva had done her job as Deputy headmistress and alerted the staff to Black's presence on the grounds.

Professor Kettleburn and Hagrid joined Lupin and Aberforth in the Dark Forest to help with the search efforts.

Filius returned to the castle to help with getting the students back to their houses. It was a sad fact that now Black had made it onto the grounds, the school would remain in lockdown until he was caught. The only way students would be able to step out of doors, would be in one of the three small interior courtyards. The Cabin Fever was about to become a plague, Lucy thought.

At least the children had a chance to enjoy one fine day before everything went to hell.

As Molly ushered the children back to the castle she took noticed that Lucy was not with them and turned to see where she had gone. Lucy had not even made it to the castle steps.

"Lucy, are you alright?" she called out in her concern. Molly could see Severus running up behind the young witch.

Lucy nodded weakly and waved to Molly to continue, "Get the children inside. I just need to speak to Severus."

Molly seemed to accept that Lucy would follow shortly and so she complied. Lucy held onto her consciousness until they entered the building before her knees gave way and she collapsed onto the grass. Blackness enveloped her as she finally gave into her faint.

The End.
End Notes:
A huge THANK YOU to my BETA, Tambra. POV was in this chapter was really giving me fits and it would have been a complete mess without her.

Please leave a review. I worked so hard on this chapter *sob*
"...too" by missyanne

***6 November, 1986-2:00 p.m. ***

The great doors that led to the hospital wing swung open, seemingly of their own accord. They hit hard against the stone walls and the subsequent 'Bang' echoed through the corridors.

"Poppy!" Severus cried out in desperation. As much as he tried to maintain control over his fear, his rising panic was evident in the sound of his voice. Lucy's breathing was shallow and Severus could barely feel her faint pulse.

From the moment he reached Lucy as she lay on the cold ground just below the castle steps, Lucy had been fading in and out of consciousness, her weak voice claiming in protest that she was fine.

Poppy immediately came from her office upon hearing the hospital doors fly open. She and Travis Hornsby, her seventh year N.E.W.T. intern student, were in the process of taking inventory in of her potions when in order to give Severus a list of what needed replenishing after the past weeks rash of pranks.

"Hornsby-Contact Professor McGonagall and inform her Professor Snape has delivered Dr. O'Conner to the Hospital."

The red headed Hufflepuff quickly slipped back into Pomfrey's office to Floo call the Deputy Head Mistress.

Poppy hurriedly directed Severus to the nearest bed where he laid Lucy down with delicate care. He lay a calloused and potion stained hand on Lucy's forehead. Concern was unashamedly etched on his countenance as he worriedly fixed his gaze on Lucy's pallid face and graying lips.

Her skin was cold and sticky with perspiration and her gold tresses, now darkened with sweat, clung to the side of her cheeks, making her appearance all the more ashen. Though Lucy now lay quietly, it was apparent she was not in peaceful repose. Severus could see her eyes dart under her dark lids, as if struggling through some silent, internal pain.

"Severus-You need to step back," the Matron ordered somewhat harshly, more concerned for her patient's well being than Severus' emotional turmoil.

Severus took an unsteady step backwards as Poppy cast the appropriate spells to ensure Lucy received enough oxygen to her brain. The rise and fall of Lucy's chest became steady, and the color began to return to her lips. .

Madam Pomfrey was too immersed in her job of saving Lucy and her baby, and Severus was too overcome with anxiety to notice Hornsby usher Minerva into the room. Severus only took notice when Minerva had placed her hands on her younger colleague's shoulders and guided him over to a chair on the opposite side of the room.

Hornsby slipped in beside his mentor. "Is there anything I can do to help, Madam?"

"Yes, Mr. Hornsby," Poppy replied as she lay her hand over Lucy's distended belly, checking for signs of fetal movement. "Help me position Dr. O'Conner on her side. Her blood pressure is only fifty-seven over thirty-six. We need to turn her."

Still swept up in his personal nightmare, Severus took no heed of the quick glances Poppy's intern cut in his direction as he placed pillows behind Lucy's back so as to keep her in position. If Severus had seen the young man's face, he would have noticed an ill-hidden look of astonishment, as if the boy realised for the first time that his austere Potions Professor was, indeed, human after all.

Severus felt as if his legs were made of water and he found himself suddenly sitting in a chair to the side of the sceme, with his elbows on his knees and head hanging low between his shoulders. It was a pose he had perfected as a student trying to escape notice. He barely acknowledged that Minerva had informed him that Albus had been at the Ministry since before lunch, and that he was due back shortly. She kept a reassuring hand on Severus' shoulder, but upon hearing Lucy's vital signs, Minerva had to force him to stay seated. Lucy's blood pressure was so low, she was practically comatose.

Time lost meaning to Severus as he watched Poppy work her magic on Lucy. He had been unaware of all else going around him. He was so numb inside that he had not noticed Minerva's comforting touch had been replaced by Aberforth's and that Minerva was bringing Albus and the search party up to date on what had happened to Lucy. Severus was too busy trying to suppress the images of having to tell Harry that they had lost their beloved Lucy. He felt as though he had been sitting in his chair for hours, when in fact, it was only a few minutes later that Poppy had announced that both Lucy and the baby were now stabilised and both were expected to recover.

Severus looked over his shoulder when Aberforth patted him on the back. "Come Severus, Let's go see our girl." The old man gripped Severus under his right arm and helped him to his feet.

The young Intern placed two chairs beside Lucy's bed before Madam Pomfrey had dismissed him for the day. Hornsby took one last look at the Potions Master before he made his exit.

Severus took the seat directly in front of Lucy and took one of her small hands. He wanted to be there for her when she woke up. He extended his arm and placed his left hand on Lucy's growing belly, hoping the gesture would let the child know that she too was loved and cared for. He could feel the baby flutter under his rough hand. It had done more to still his aching heart than any reassuring diagnosis Poppy could have given.

Aberforth sat next to Severus and began rubbing his great-granddaughter's arm. He looked to the Matron as she recorded her findings on Lucy's chart. "What happened to Lucy?" he asked as he looked at Lucy with care etched on his face.

Poppy hung Lucy's chart at the end of the bed and quietly said, "She has a severe case of hypotension coupled with extreme physical and magical exhaustion."

"She cast two Patronus charms simultaneously not ten minutes before she collapsed," Severus said softly as he smoothed Lucy's hair off her face.

"It is of no wonder," Poppy said placing her hand over her heart in shock. "In the shape she is in, Dr. O'Conner must have used her last physical reserves to perform that spell. She risked her magic with such a feat." Poppy's expression clouded in concern and then she collected herself and continued in a more professional manner. "I can easily keep her hypotension under control with a simple potion; however, she is in desperate need of recuperative sleep, for both her physical and magical well being."

Severus and Aberforth kept their solemn watch at Lucy's side, drawing strength from the other's silent companionship and grateful to one another that they need not express maudlin platitudes to express their mutual worry.


As Severus sat at near Lucy, Aberforth smiled as he recognised something in the young man, almost as if gazing into a mirror into the past. Not that Severus Snape physically resembled a youthful Aberforth.

No…the recognition came from Severus eyes. Not their colour, but rather the depth of emotion that radiated from within. Aberforth recognised that feeling. It was the same feeling he felt for his dear, long past Ellie. Aberforth hoped his granddaughter realised what a fortunate young woman she is.


Whilst Severus and Aberforth continued to keep their vigil over Lucy, Albus stood back, closer to Poppy's office and informed the others of his business at the Ministry.

Albus too, was intensely worried for his niece as he continued to steal glances in Lucy's direction. She may have saved more than Harry's life this day by immediately informing himself and Minerva of Sirius Black's presence on the school grounds. That she produced two Patronuses was a wonder. In addition, she had the forethought to charm her Patronus so only the intended receiver could hear the message. That deed in itself, had prevented a wide spread panic throughout the school.

Wondrous magic indeed. Lucy had always produced her most powerful magic in the height of her emotions. Albus doubted she could repeat the same again.

"You mean to tell me he won't send Aurors?" Filius squeaked in disbelief.

"Minister Fudge insists that since I declined his initial offer to have Dementors patrol the school for Black, then I obviously feel that school wards are adequate to keep Black at bay. He claims it is an unnecessary expense," Albus said with uncharacteristic heat.

"But surely now that Sirius Black has actually set foot on Hogwarts grounds, he will grant your request for additional security," Remus said with a hint of guilt in his voice. "I feel horrible about this, Headmaster. Had I thought there was any possibility of his escape, I would have informed the Ministry that… Sirius was an Animagus long ago."

"Other than Wards to prevent Apparition and Disappariton, the only deterrent for escaping the island is fear of being captured, and thereby consequently sentenced to the Dementor's Kiss. It is not your fault that the Ministry did not take into account that an individual may actually be warped enough in his mind to risk his soul in the search for revenge," Albus said sadly. He too felt he had a guilty hand in the Black affair. He should have listened to young Severus all of those years ago, when the boy claimed that Black's attempt to lead him into a fully formed Werewolf was the act of a deranged individual and not a mere schoolboy prank. Perhaps the Potters would still be alive today had Albus listened.

"As for my request for additional security, unfortunately Minister Fudge will only grant my request if I agree to the Dementors… and that I will not do. Lucy is not my only concern in this matter. I have a school full of children to consider."

"But why? Why insist upon Dementors?" Filius inquired.

"I believe it is a ploy," Albus explained bitterly. "The Ministry is anxious to find any reason to take over Harry's guardianship. Sending the Azkaban guards to Hogwarts will cause an outcry amongst the wizarding world. People will claim that Harry Potter is too dangerous to reside alongside with other wizards and witches, especially children. Existing laws may not allow the Ministry to take Harry from Severus for the time being, but the Minister has insinuated that laws can be changed."

Remus' jaw dropped in disbelief. "They wouldn't d…"

"If given the chance, they may," Albus injected before Remus could finish his thought.

"Then what will you tell the Board of Governors?" Minerva asked. Her face was tight with frustration and worry. "They will hear of this latest lockdown. Once they find out Black was here, they will demand that something be done."

"We tell no one of Black," Albus said simply. "If the Ministry were to find out, I do not believe I could persuade them to keep the Dementors out this time. We keep this to ourselves and tell the students and the governors that the lockdown is a precautionary measure until Black is caught."

Remus frowned. He crossed his arms defensively over his chest and was shaking his head in disagreement with the Headmaster. "It may do you no good."

Albus raised a snowy eyebrow. "Oh…explain," he said curiously.

Remus dropped his arms and stuffed his hands into his pockets. "There are at least seven secret passage ways that lead into the castle, possibly more." Albus noticed Remus' focused gaze on Lucy.

Apparently she had awakened but was obviously very weak. Madam Pomfrey handed a potion phial to Severus who was leaning over, speaking softly too Lucy. Albus could tell that Remus too, yearned to check on his friend, but alas, this was Severus' and Aberforth's time.

Remus quickly redirected his attention when Minerva tried for a second time to obtain an answer from him.

"I said… how do you know of these passages, Mr. Lupin?" Minerva said to Remus as if he were still one of her cubs.

Remus flushed as his former professors stared at him, waiting for an answer. He placed his fist over his mouth and nervously cleared his throat. "We created a map," he placed his hand back into his pocket to hide his twitching fingers. "James, Peter, myself…and Sirius. It shows the entire school…everything…and everybody."

"Everybody?" Professor Flitwick said with mounting interest. "How do you mean?"

"The map was charmed to reveal where every person in the school is located at any given time. We managed to get away with far more…excursions…than we were ever punished for. Sorry Professor," he said the last to Minerva repentantly.

"We will discuss detention with Filtch later Mr. Lupin," Professor McGonagall said curtly.

"Yes," Albus broke in. "This map could prove quite useful."

"Well…" Remus said as if fishing for the right thing to say. "Sirius claimed he lost the map sometime late in our seventh year. He…"

Albus raised his hand and stopped Remus in the middle of his explanation. "Then I'm afraid we need to remove Harry from this castle at once. Minerva, where is Harry now?"

"He is still with Molly and the children in the west wing."

Albus directed his senior professors. "Minerva, please see to it that the Weasley's return safely to the Burrow. Filius please retrieve Harry and escort him to Severus…and make haste." He then turned to Remus and said urgently. "Professor Sprout is going about the castle ensuring that the Wards are still in place. Find her and Mr. Filtch. Show them the tunnels and make sure they are secure."

With a determined look, Remus gave the Headmaster a quick nod of affirmation. He afforded one last glance in Lucy's direction before proceeding to his assigned task. As he exited the hospital wing, he cast a quick Point Me spell to guide him to Professor Sprout, and he hasted on his way.

Albus looked over where his younger brother and his Potions Master as they talked quietly to Lucy, reassuring Lucy as well as one another.

Albus felt the sting of jealousy. What was it? Eighty…Ninety years since his last civil conversation with Aberforth. And here in the space of a few short months, Aberforth had begun to bond with Severus.

His younger brother resided less than five miles from Hogwarts, and yet he had gone years at a time without seeing him. During those summer visits that brought Esther and her family from the United States to see Aberforth, Esther would at least spare a couple of days to see her Uncle Albus. Until Lucy arrived this past summer, it was the only connection to family Albus had. He hadn't realised how much he missed his brother.

The Headmaster absorbed the touching scene before him into his mind, then mentally steeled himself for the unpleasant task and inevitable firestorm that he was about to ignite.

He had to inform Severus that Harry needed to return to the Dursley's.


Severus held Lucy's tiny hand in his, tracing the outline of her small fingers with his own long, rough index finger. His left hand still lay protectively over her abdomen. He began to give into his own emotional exhaustion as his chin began to sink into his chest. Severus suddenly came to attention at the sound of a soft, barely audible moan.

"Mmm…The baby?" Lucy had only managed to lift her eyelids to slits. She tried to move her right hand towards her belly, but the effort proved too great. When Severus noticed, he tenderly took Lucy's hand and placed it over the baby, resting his own atop hers.

"She is unharmed," Severus said in whisper reassurance as he leaned in.

"Harry?" she asked, as she attempted to lift her head and failed. "Is he sa…"

"Shh…" Severus said, smoothing his free hand over her brow in a soothing gesture. "He is safe. What do you remember?" That Lucy could not remember Molly shepherding the children into the castle was concerning. She had not lost consciousness until after the children were safe inside.

Lucy held on to Severus' hand, though she shielded her eyes from the light in the crook of her arm. Her mumbled answer made no sense to Severus "You…witchcraft…egrets."

Severus slowly sat upright in his chair. He wasn't sure that he had heard Lucy correctly. He looked over to Aberforth, wondering if he could offer clarification to Lucy's ramblings.

"I'm not sure what she is trying to say." Aberforth admitted. "But I do happen to know that her Patronus is a snowy egret."

Another moan from Lucy brought Severus' attention back to her. He took his left hand and moved a lank strand of hair from her face. "Are you in pain?"

"Mmm, hmm."

"Headache?"

"Mmm."

Before Severus could ask Aberforth to retrieve the required potions from his personal stores, the vigilant Matron was handing him a phial. "It will ease her headache and help her sleep," she responded to his unasked question.

Severus glared at Poppy suspiciously and raised a questioning brow.

Poppy's lips thinned in annoyance. "It's only as mild pain reliever and a low dose Sleeping Draught, Severus," she said tartly. "It won't harm her or the child. Remember who the mediwitch is, if you will."

Severus groused as he grudgingly accepted the potion. He popped open the phial and brought it up to his nose to check the odour. He then inspected the potion's colour.

Satisfied that Poppy would not inadvertently poison Lucy, Severus gave her a nod in gratitude, then once again leaned over Lucy "Lucy…take this it will help."

Lucy tried to comply, but she did not have the strength to hold up her head. Severus handed off the potion bottle to Aberforth as he gingerly helped raise her into a better position. Aberforth gave the potion back to Severus, and he put the phial to Lucy's lips.

Lucy grimaced at the foul taste. Aberforth arose from his chair and quickly stepped over to the side table on the other side of Lucy's bed. He poured a glass of water from the waiting glass decanter and handed it to Severus.

Once Lucy had taken enough water to rid the disgusting taste from her mouth, she gave a tiny nod. Severus gave the nearly full water glass back to Lucy's grandfather, and then eased her head back to her pillow.

"Better?" Severus asked as he once again grasped Lucy's hand and held them between his own.

"M'Yes," Lucy answered sleepily. Severus' face looked slightly surprised as Lucy withdrew her hand from his, but instead of bringing it to rest beside her; she reached out to him. Her hand dropped slightly as she lacked energy.

Severus lowered his head, sensing Lucy's need to know that she was not dreaming. She once again raised her hand and touched Severus' face. Her fingers followed the worry lines under his obsidian eyes, her thumb traced down the shape of his hooked nose. Severus placed his hand over hers, never wanting it to leave him.

He gazed into Lucy's eyes. They were drowsy, but the spark had returned to them. She gazed back into Severus' eyes and whispered as softly as a warm breeze. "I love you too, Severus." Then she drifted off into peaceful slumber.

Severus pressed his lips into her palm, squeezing his eyes shut in an effort to keep from shedding his joyous tears. His heart soared.

The End.
At Spinner's End by missyanne
Author's Notes:
What will Severus do when Albus tells him he can no longer keep Harry?

***6 November, 1986-4:23 p.m. ***

Aberforth had finally convinced Severus that he could now leave Lucy's side long enough to receive Lucy's prognosis from Poppy. Severus stood to with his arms crossed over his chest, listening intently to what Lucy's midwife had to say. Aberforth stood next to Severus, absently patting the younger wizard on his shoulder. Albus was with them, standing slightly aside and looking exceedingly uncomfortable, as if his presence was an intrusion.

"She needs bed rest," Poppy said firmly. "Natural sleep is preferable. You will need to see that her lessons are covered for the next week, Headmaster."

Severus looked back over his shoulder at Lucy. Poppy said she was doing well, had he missed something? "A week? Why so long?"

"I don't know if you've ever cast a Patronus, Professor Snape," Poppy said almost accusingly, "But casting one charm can be draining on a healthy witch or wizard. By casting two, Dr. O'Conner injured herself magically and can't just go about her merry way. Had I simply needed to treat hypotension and insomnia, I assure you, she would be back in her classroom by Monday."

Severus struggled to no take offence at the Madam Pomfrey's statement, but it was hard not to.

It was mostly speculation amongst the general public, but it a fact nonetheless, Death Eater's could not cast a Patronus Charm, and it was not because of lack of trying on the part of many. It had to do with taking on the Dark Mark. Severus did not know the magic behind it, but he was all too aware of the Dark Lord's motivation for stripping his minions of the power to caste the charm. In one word… control.

There were many myths as to the way the Dark Lord punished turncoats, from the use of Unforgivables to sexual deviancy. But the truth was, the Dark Lord's favourite punishment for traitors was to feed them to Dementors, and the Dark Lord could not risk a traitor defending him or herself.

It was the fate that befell Regulus Black. Severus had not known Black's crime nor witnessed the actual Kiss, but he had seen the horrifying results. It was only after the poor boy had become a soulless shell that the Dark Lord had killed his body…and then cursed it into an Inferius. That was an image that still haunted Severus to this day.

The common witch and wizard did not know the Dark Lord had at one time managed to gain the loyalty of Dementors. He had promised them Muggle souls in exchange for their allegiance. Many Muggle victims of Dementors still lay in hospitals; suffering unexplained catatonia... many, many more were Inferi.

It is said that to every rule there is an exception. Fortunately for Severus, he became the exception to the rule.

Severus had only seen is original Patronus form once before he accepted the Dark Mark. He had cast it in his N.E.W.T. DADA lesson in his seventh year. Severus remembers the form fondly. It was a fox. He distinctly remembered the memory he used to conjure it-when he first met Lily that long ago day in the neighbourhood playground.

He also recalled how devastated he was when he realised he could no longer cast the faintest wisp of his Patronus after he had taken the Mark. It was if he had lost a piece of himself.

It wasn't until after he had given Albus the information that put Lily and her family into hiding that fear and desperation had led him to attempt casting a Patronus once again. It was to his ultimate surprise to find it had changed to a doe. A deer…a female deer!

Severus was of two minds on this. First, he was elated that he could once again cast a Patronus, and instinctively, he knew that it represented Lily. However happy he was about the ability's reappearance, he knew acknowledged that his male pride would never allow him to brag about it…to anyone.

He remembered too, the innocent memory that produced that Patronus-the day Lily talked him into the Blood Brother ritual.

Something else of significance happened that day. The excruciating pain that accompanied a Summoning from the Dark Lord had ceased. Severus remembered that Summoning well. The usual burn had turned into nothing more than an irritating twitch. Once again, instinct or a higher power had told him that he had been freed him from his self imposed slavery.

Of course Severus could do nothing more than rely on conjecture, but perhaps the innocent blood oath was the reason why Lily's Blood Wards were able to keep out other Death Eaters whilst Severus could still protect Harry. He could not imagine that his blood connection with Lily was enough. He did wonder what if he were still loyal to the Dark Lord. Would the blood connection alone render the Wards useless?

"It may astonish you to hear this, Madam," Severus said smugly. "But I too, can produce a Patronus." As much as Severus would like to put the presumptuous Matron in her place, he had more important things to do than defend his pride.

Severus turned to Albus and inclined his head to excuse himself. "If you will pardon me Headmaster, I need to collect Harry and pack. Before we leave, I will give you a copy of my class syllabi." Severus then turned to Aberforth. "Aberforth, would you be so kind as to accompany me. You can access Lucy's quarters through my Floo. I was hoping you could pack some of Lucy's things and collect her rabbit whilst I ready Harry."

Aberforth unquestioningly agreed and had taken one step forward to leave with Severus when Albus interrupted. "Severus? I agree that Harry is no longer safe in the castle, but why…?"

Severus paused to explain himself. Of course Albus would need to understand why Severus was taking Lucy with him. "If Black was set upon Harry by Musgrave, it stands to reason he may have sent Black after Lucy as well. She is defenceless in her present condition and you do not have the extra staff to post a guard. Until she can defend herself again, Spinners End is the safest place for her, and Harry."

Severus turned on his heel to continue on his way, when Albus words stopped him in his tracks. "I am sorry but I believe that you misunderstand me, Severus." Severus and Aberforth both turned to meet Albus, both each man offering the wizard headmaster a dangerous glare. They recognised the tone in Albus' voice and did not like what they were hearing. "I was going to ask why you needed to pack."

"Because, Harry is too young to stay home alone," Severus said chillingly as he took a step closer to his employer, indicating that he readying himself for a fight that from which he was not about to back down from. "I know this is short notice to inform you that I will be taking an indefinite leave of absence, but under the circumstances…"

"Severus," the Headmaster lowered his head and said gravely. "We must resign ourselves to the possibility that it may be quite some time before Black is captured and you do not have the means to care for Harry for an indeterminate time. Loathe as I am to say it, I believe, at least for the time being-that Harry should return to the Dur…"

"Do not go further with that statement, Albus," Severus growled a quiet warning between is gritted teeth. As the vein in the temple of his head began to visibly pulse, he moved to take his wand from his sleeve when Aberforth placed a retraining hand on him. However, Severus ignored the elder wizard, pointed his wand towards Lucy and uttered, "Muffliato."

Once he knew that he would not disturb Lucy's sleep, Severus lashed out at his employer. "You are suffering from dementia, Old Man, if you think for an instant that I would send Harry back to those detestable Muggles!"

"I do not relish the notion of having to send Harry back to his relatives, Severus, but you cannot take care of Harry alone and surely you see the Wards surrounding the Burrow are inadequate since Sirius Black was somehow capable of breaching the school barriers. It would be selfish and irresponsible to ask and Molly and Arthur to continue to care for Harry," Albus reasoned. "I know Petunia is not the...ideal...caretaker for Harry, but Lily's blood protection is Harry's last and best defence."

"Then why not allow Severus to care for Harry?" Aberforth's said, his chest heaving with anger. "The Blood Wards are every bit as strong with him, and you would only be confusin' the child by shuffling' him around from pillar to post!"

"I'm not about to pack him off because juggling child care with my career is inconvenient. Harry is not an inconvenience. He is a child, Albus. My child!" Severus emphasised by pounding this point with a quick, sharp jab at his own chest. "And I will not give Harry back to Dursley's 'tender mercies','" Severus spat out. He turned away from the Headmaster before his anger caused him to do something he would regret.

"Severus…," Albus said in a tone meant to placate his irate Potions Master. "This time, we will keep a better watch of Harry. I promise that I will not allow them to treat Harry…"

Severus spun around and pointed an accusing finger at Albus. "Do not waste my time on promises you cannot keep, Albus. You don't have the resources to keep a spy in the house, and watching from the outside would be useless. Forget it, Old Man. As I stated before, I will find a way to take care of Harry-and Lucy!"

Albus was about to continue his argument when Severus watched his salvation walk into the room with Professor Sprout.

"Lupin! I am in need of a favour!" Severus shouted out and startled the man. Severus remembered the suggestion Lucy had made, and Lupin had shown where his loyalties lie-with Harry.

After explaining the predicament he was in to the former Marauder, Remus agreed without hesitation. "Of course I'll help Severus. Lily was my friend too," he said understandingly. "And Lucy is my friend."

Severus fixed his face with a clearly triumphant expression as he cast his attention back to his employer. The Headmaster raised his hands in a gesture of capitulation. "It is a sound alternative Severus," Albus admitted. "Please remember, my boy that I am not your enemy. I only wish to see Harry safe."

"At least there is something we can both agree upon," Severus sighed through his relief.

***7 November, 1986 ***

Lucy groaned softly. Her eyes adjusted to the haze of light streaming from a small gap in between chocolate brown drapes. The primal comfort she was experiencing between the warm cotton sheets and the feeling that she had finally had a restful sleep surpassed the confusion of waking up in a strange place.

She closed her eyes again and sighed. Lucy grabbed her pillow and shifted from her left side to her right. As she settled into a comfortable position, she had the overwhelming sensation of being watched. She reluctantly opened her eyes. A sleepy smile spread on Lucy's face when she was welcomed back into life by a pair of curious and vivid emerald eyes behind a pair of heavy rectangular frames.

"Hi, Miss Lucy." Little Harry had been leaning against the tall four poster bed, his arms folded atop the mattress. His chin was resting on his arms and his almond-shaped eyes were examining Lucy.

"Hi, Sweetie," Lucy replied, her own eyes showning an answering a smile. She slowly worked herself into an upright position and straightened a thin, red woollen blanket over her lap. She looked about as she took stock of the unfamiliar surroundings in which she found herself.

The room was small and plain. The four poster queen size bed she currently occupied, took up the majority of the space in the room. The rest of the space seemed to be eaten up by an overly large clothing armoire standing in the right corner of the room. There were two small tables on either side of the bed; books occupied the table on the right, and a small reading lamp on the left. Progressing further to the left was the wall with the only window in the room. There was a door off in the left corner facing the bed. The walls were light beige and held no paintings or photographs. The only personal item seen in the room was a small photograph of Harry and Severus beside the reading lamp. Other than that one decoration, the room was completely utilitarian and almost sterile in its military cleanliness.

Lucy could tell by how high the sun shone through the drapery fabric, that it must be sometime in the early afternoon. She noticed she was wearing a pair of very comfortable men's flannel pyjamas.

"Where are we, Harry?" Lucy asked curiously as she stretched her legs under the blanket. Mentally, she felt more aware than she had in a week. Physically, she felt like she had been run down by a rampaging Peruvian Vipertooth.

"You're at our house," Harry said proudly. "Daddy said he needed me to take care of you and Thor when he's at Hogwarts. Oh-do you want something to drink?" he asked, suddenly remembering his manners.

"A glass of water would be nice…," and before she could ask her next question, Harry had scampered from the room. Lucy surmised he must have only have gone as far as the bathroom sink. She could hear the tap running from behind the wall.

Upon Harry's return, Lucy knew Severus wasn't home when she noticed Harry's the boy's feet. Harry was running about in his stocking feet in the mid-afternoon, something Severus would never allow.

Harry shuffled into the room, carefully holding a nearly brimming glass of water between both hands. As he placed it on the side table, Lucy asked, "Harry, who's here with us?"

"Mr. Lupin is helping me take care of you."

"And Mr. Lupin asked you to let him know if Miss Lucy were to awaken," a tenor voice said from the doorway. Alf stood there leaning on the door jam with his arms crossed in a show of mock irritation.

Lucy looked up and gave a tired smile as Harry turned to Alf. "I'm sorry, but Ms. Lucy was thirsty," he turned his attention back to Lucy, looking at her expectantly.

Lucy picked up the glass of water from the table and took a sip. "I just woke up, Alf, and Harry is being the perfect little host." The water was tepid, but she did not care. All she wanted was to get rid of her cotton mouth and the taste of ass that came from not being able to brush her teeth for a couple days.

She licked her dry lips and put the glass back down. She knew her hair must look like a rat's nest exploded on the top of her head, but there was nothing to be done for right now.

"Thank you, Harry," she said sweetly.

"You're, welcome," Harry said with an emphatic nodded of his head and then gave Alf a cheeky 'I told you so' look.

Alf and Lucy could not but smile at Harry's determination to take his job seriously.

"So, why are we in Manchester?" Lucy asked Alf with a bit more seriousness.

"Well, 'Hello' to you too, Girly Girl," Alf said in mock offence. He walked into the room and took a seat at the foot of the bed. "It seems you have been neglecting yourself as of late," he chided. "And as Hogwarts is not as secure as we once believed and you are in no condition to use your magic at the moment, it was decided that the best place to keep you and Harry safe from Black would be in Severus' home."

Lucy looked at Alf in shock. Did he just mention Sirius Black in front of Harry? She was about to ask Alf an artfully phrased question when Harry answered her question for her. "Daddy told me all about Sirius Black," he said as he rubbed his bum.

Evidently, Severus had found the occasion of Harry ambling off to follow a stray dog, offence enough to warrant a spanking. Lucy did not usually approve of corporal punishment, but Harry knew well and good that he was to never wander away from his caregivers. Severus must have been beside himself with terror as he watched Black attempt to lure Harry away. Lucy could not condemn a smack on the rear in this case.

But how much did he tell Harry?

Alf apparently noticed the concern on Lucy's face. He took the opportunity to explain what was said. "Severus told Harry that Black had killed a great many Muggles and had escaped from prison," he then gave Harry a lifted brow as he added, "He also told Harry that some wizards could change into animals at will, and that the dog was actually Sirius Black."

"Uh-huh," Harry told Lucy emphatically. "And I had to promise to never, ever…" Harry paused and scrunched his forehead, as if to remember his daddy's exact words. "'Blindly run off and approach a strange animal under any sir…come…circumstances-like a careless dunderhead'."

Harry said the last of the sentence with a sharp, hair-flopping nod and stood straighter, his chest pushed up proudly because he had learned his lesson and could repeat it.

Lucy wanted to laugh, but she instead rubbed the bridge of her nose. She felt a dull aching throb radiating from behind her eyes.

"Do you have a headache?" Alf questioned.

"Yes," Lucy said a bit irritably, wishing she wasn't such an invalid.

Alf patted her on a leg and arose from the side of the bed. "Madam Pomfrey said that might be the case. You're going to have to take potions to control low blood pressure for the rest of your pregnancy."

Lucy gave a sullen nod to convey her understanding. Her sister, Terri, had to deal with hypotension during her pregnancies. Lucy had too much going on to be able to take away time from her work. What would her new employer think?

"I'll fix you a light lunch and bring you your potion," Alf told her.

"Thank you, Alf," Lucy said, making a concerted effort not to bite her friend's head off this time.

She took another sip of her water and she turned her attention to Harry. The little boy was giving her a curious look through his black spectacles. The child had a way of lightening her spirits with his mere presence. "If you don't mind, I'd like Harry to keep me company."

Alf gave a wide, knowing grin. "Of course," he said, and then left for the kitchen.

Harry was still staring intently at Lucy when he finally asked, "How come you got so sick?"

Lucy chuckled despite her headache. "I believe the question would be, 'Why are you sick?'"

"Then why are you sick?" Harry repeated the question. Lucy could hear the real concern in the boy's query.

Lucy pressed her finger against an acupressure point above her eye, trying to ease the oncoming ache and giving herself time to think of an honest answer that the child would understand. "Well…I suppose Harry… I was feeling bad about some things that happened and I wanted to change but couldn't. I just worried so much, that I made myself sick." Lucy hoped it would be enough for now. She didn't think her brain could handle too many questions as of yet.

"Do you have 'grets?" Harry asked innocently.

Lucy gave him a perplexed gaze. Had the child seen her Patronus? She vaguely remembered conjuring the egrets at the memory of hers and Severus' dance the first night they were together. But what did a Patronus have to do with falling ill?

"What do you mean, Harry?"

"Well-when Daddy first came to get me, he was real grumpy," he said with an earnest expression on his face. Lucy could almost see Harry's brain try to wrap itself around his memories. "And he would get grumpy real easy sometimes, but I think it was because he had 'grets."

Lucy reached over the side of the bed to lift Harry next to her. "Do you mean 'regrets', Sweetheart?" she had a feeling this may be a long conversation. It took quite a bit of her strength to lift the child, but Lucy wanted to make Harry comfortable.

"Yeah- regrets," he giggled as he crossed his legs to settle himself in. "I think maybe your regrets made you sick like Daddy's regrets made him grumpy."

Lucy could tell Harry was considering her. She felt a bit concerned. What would a six year old child know of regret?

"Harry, what makes you think your daddy has regrets?"

Harry shrugged his boney little shoulders, he seemed a little sadder, but still confident. He gave a little sigh as he continued with his story. "The first time we went to see my mummy and daddy that went to Heaven, I asked how they died."

"And what did your daddy tell you?" Lucy asked gently.

"Well, I'll tell you, but it might make you sad."

"I'm okay, Harry. I promise." Lucy took Harry's tiny hand in hers. She wondered if Harry wanted to tell the story for his own benefit and she would allow him the opportunity to do so.

"Okay," Harry said almost cautiously. "Daddy told me that my mummy and daddy found out a bad wizard was after them and they took me and hid. But then Daddy said that they trusted someone to keep the secret of where we were, but that man told the bad wizard and the bad wizard found us and he killed my mummy and daddy." Harry gave a little sniff and as he wiped his nose with his sleeve.

Lucy's heart sank as Harry told his story. However, she could not help but admonish Harry as he wiped snot on his sleeve. "Harry!"

She scanned to tables both the tables next to the bed, wishing she had her wand to transfigure a handkerchief. She opened up a side drawer and thankfully found an old a yellowing box of tissues. Lucy took the box and handed a couple of tissues to the leaking child. Lucy was about to tell Harry he needn't finish his story, but he continued on after he wiped is nose, this time with the tissue.

"I asked Daddy who told my mummy and daddy that a bad wizard was after them and Daddy got quiet. He just said it was just some other wizard and I asked him how that wizard knew. Daddy said that the wizard who warned Mummy and Daddy was very stupid when he was young. He said the wizard was a lonely boy and had lost his only friend. Then other wizards came and told him they would be his friends if he followed some powerful wizard. The powerful wizard told the boy what he wanted to hear so the boy followed him."

Lucy could tell Harry was beginning to ramble as he desperately tried to recall every detail of that conversation with Severus, but the boy only paused long enough to wipe his dripping nose.

"Daddy said it was too late for the boy then. He found out that the wizard was very bad, but he couldn't get away. He said one day, the boy overheard Uncle Albus talking to a witch about a good wizard who would beat the bad wizard. Another follower of bad wizard was about, and the boy was afraid that if he didn't tell the bad wizard what he heard, he would get in bad trouble. But one day, the boy found out that the bad wizard thought that he was talking about my mummy and daddy and he told Uncle Albus and Uncle Albus hid us. He said the boy…regretted…ever saying anything to that bad wizard and wished he would have been brave enough to be punished instead. He didn't mean for anything bad to happen to my mummy and daddy… But you know what?"

"What?" Lucy said in a hushed voice. Severus had told the child a much sanitized version of the truth, but it was the truth nonetheless. The most astonishing thing was that Harry seemed to remember every word of it.

Harry looked around, as if making sure no one else could hear his secret. "I think Daddy was that sad boy. I think he was the one who told the bad wizard what was said to Uncle Albus."

Lucy was awestruck. How had Harry figured that out? But Lucy only said, "Why do you think that?"

"Because," Harry said between his incessant sniffles. "Daddy was so sad when he told me. He tried to hide it, but I could tell he was crying. That's the only time I ever saw Daddy cry."

Lucy was at a loss for words. She wondered at a child's heart. Harry had just admitted that he knew Severus was the one who had given Tom Riddle the information that led the beast to the Potter's, but the child so obviously had forgiven Severus for his grievous sins. Once again, before she could ask her questions, Harry continued on.

"Sometimes, I think we all do things we don't mean to do. Daddy didn't mean to do anything to hurt my mummy and daddy. He was scared and it just happened and even though he wanted to, he couldn't change what happened. I think he felt so bad about it; he didn't think he deserved to be happy. That's why he was so grumpy. But when he began to take care of me and protect me, it was a way for him to make up for the bad thing he did."

"Harry," Lucy said in wonderment, "I think you're the wisest six-year-old I've ever met."

Harry gave her a sheepish smile. "It's the same thing for you, I think," Harry continued with his reasoning. "You shouldn't make yourself sick over something you can't change. Instead you should do like Daddy, and try to make things as right as you can now."

Lucy took a couple of tissues out of the box that was now in her lap and wiped her own traitorous nose. She held open her arms and said, "Come here, Sweetie."

Harry scrambled up the bed and nestled his way into Lucy's arms the lay his head on her bosom. Lucy kissed the top of Harry's head, and then let her own rest atop his.

After a couple of minutes of giving each other silent comfort, Harry put his hand on Lucy's belly and caste his eyes up to her.

"Miss Lucy?"

"Yes, Harry?"

"I was thinking."

"You do quite a bit of that, don't you?" Lucy chuckled.

"Uh-huh," Harry readily agreed. "I was thinking, this is the first time you're going to be a mummy-right?"

"Yes it is," Lucy answered, wondering where this line of questioning was going.

"Well, I figured, if this is the first time for you to be a mummy, you might want some practice."

Lucy caught her breath and looked down at the sweet face that was looking so expectantly into hers. She took her hand and instinctively tried to straighten Harry's stubborn mop of hair.

"I might," she coyly admitted. "Do you know anyone who would be willing to help me?"

"Me!" Harry eagerly offered himself as he scrambled to sit on his knees. "I can help you. You can practice on me if you want to!"

Lucy took Harry's face into her hands and wiggled her nose against his. "There is no one I would want to help me more."

Harry threw himself into Lucy's motherly embrace.

Lucy too, swore in her heart to take care of Harry as her own, and make up for the bad thing she did.

***6:30 p.m. ***

If anyone else in the wizarding world were to come across the scene in this particular sitting room in Spinner's End, they would swear that they had been Confunded.

As one bespectacled little black haired boy, hopped around the room on his hands and knees after a rabbit, three fully grown wizards sat on the floor with their shirt sleeves rolled up, playing a cutthroat game of Gobstones. The emerald drapes that hung over the glass French doors that led to the back garden were drawn open to allow in the autumn sunlight.

Severus had intended to teach Harry stratagem in the game, but now Lucy's rabbit had begun to respond to Harry's overtures to play, the boy had no interest in Gobstones. Aberforth and Remus tried to help Severus persuade Harry that learning the ins and outs of the game was a worthwhile endeavour, but it only led to the three 'adults' regressing back into their own childhoods.

Severus was truly ruthless at the game. The men were playing Jack Stones. Aberforth had already conceded this round, knowing a suicide mission when he saw one. Remus Lupin wasn't quite as adept at recognising a lost cause. To be frank, Remus Lupin couldn't recognise much of anything at the moment, as Severus' consistent and deadly aim had nearly blinded the sandy haired werewolf. Severus had to silently admit to himself, he was having fun.

Perhaps it was the Blood Wards that now centred around the small house, but since he Severus moved Harry in nearly eighteen months ago, the place had begun to feel more like an actual home than it ever had. Severus was grateful for Remus' intervention that allowed him to set up his household in Manchester again.

For this one evening, Lupin would be sleeping on the couch and Severus would be sleeping on a transfigured bed in his room. Severus needed an early start the next day, as he was moving more of his and Harry's personal effects from their quarters at Hogwarts back into their home. There was no telling how long Black would be free.

When Severus stepped out of the Floo after he had finished his school day, he had with him Harry's broom and a few personal posts for Lucy that had been delivered to the school. He found Lucy lying in bed reading one of his old potions manuals. Harry was lying on the floor, drawing a picture of Thor.

Severus had been glad to see her awake, even if she still looked very drawn. Lucy had told him that she was awaiting his return before she napped.

Severus gave Lucy her posts, the contents of both went far to ease Lucy's disposition. The first post, (which upon hearing the contents, Severus was thankful he was in the witch's good graces) was from Lucy's friend in New Orleans, telling Lucy she would have her voodoo doll after the next full moon. He couldn't believe that Lucy had actually ordered the doll. Severus privately thought that Musgrave had better hold onto his bollocks for dear life.

The second post also pertained to Musgrave and had astonished Lucy and Severus alike. Musgrave's trial had been cancelled. Ostensibly, he confessed to his crime in exchange for a reduced sentence. He would serve eighteen months as opposed to the three to five years he would have faced if found guilty of attempted infanticide. Lucy would have rather seen the bastard fed to Dementors, but she was gladdened that at least this drama had come to a close.

That had been over two hours ago. Severus had taken Harry downstairs so Lucy could rest once again.

Severus was leaning in with his favourite Lutz, ready to knock Lupin's Taw into next week, when he heard the floorboards above their heads groan. Every man in the room stopped what they were doing and lifted their heads towards the ceiling. Severus dropped his Gobstone in his shirt pocket and easily arose from the floor. He excused himself to his guests and ascended the stairs to check on Lucy.

Upon reaching the landing, he noticed the light escaping under the door of the lavatory and into the dark corridor. He heard the pan flush and the water began to run in the wash basin as he approached the door.

He tapped twice on the door. "Lucy, are you…"

Lucy opened the door wide. She stood before Severus with his overly large blue housecoat wrapped around her. "I'm fine," she said with a huff. "It's getting to where a girl can't tinkle without some guy wanting to hold her hand." Severus stepped aside and raised an eyebrow as Lucy moved past him and stalked into his room.

Lucy plopped herself down on the foot of Severus' bed. Her arms were folded across her chest and she was clearly pouting.

Severus stood before her with his own arms crossed, "It was a legitimate question, Lucy. And I assure you, I had no intention of coming up here to hold your hand whilst you 'tinkled'." The twitching in the corner of his mouth gave away that he was not as irritated as he may have sounded.

He took pity on his forlorn witch and took a seat next to Lucy on the bed. "I was under the impression that you were relieved that Musgrave had confessed and saved you from having to endure the rigors of a trial."

Lucy snorted though her weariness and placed Severus' hand on her flannel covered thigh. "I'm sorry, Darling. I didn't mean to snap. I know it's only been twenty-four hours, but can you believe that I'm already sick and tired of feeling sick and tired?"

Severus edged himself closer to Lucy until their sides were pressed against one another. He then planted a kiss on the top of her head. "Trust me, My Love, if I was in your situation and my hormones were flitting about like a snitch in a cyclone, my deportment would not be half so agreeable as yours."

Lucy chortled and allowed herself to slowly fall into Severus and she settled her head in his lap then rested her hands on her womb. "You know what I would give my wand hand for right now, Severus?" Lucy said as she heavily exhaled.

Severus did not ask, but only rested his hands in Lucy's. He knew Lucy would answer her own question.

"A bath. What I wouldn't give for a long, hot, bubble bath right now," Lucy said dreamily.

"Unfortunately, I don't have a bathtub in this house," Severus said as he began to rub Lucy's belly with one hand as the other vainly attempted to smooth out her matted hair. "I'm afraid the best I have to offer you is a shower."

Lucy gave a resigned sigh. "I suppose that will have to do. I couldn't take a bubble bath even if you did."


After making sure that Lucy had everything she needed for her ablutions, Severus rejoined the others belowstairs. He and Lupin recommenced their game whilst Aberforth made himself at home, and was at present, in the kitchen preparing supper.

Harry was quietly observing Severus and Lupin engage in their latest battle. He sat cross-legged in the floor petting Lucy's rabbit which was contently lying in the boy's lap and munching on a piece of broccoli. Harry now had the official duty of keeping the bunny occupied, as it had already hopped off with the jack stone twice.

"Augh! Damn it, Severus!" Remus cried out as he attempted to wipe the stinging goo from his eyes. "Must you always go for the eyes?"

"Oooh, Mr. Lupin. You're not supposed to be saying those kind of words," Harry admonished.

"Yes-we must watch our language, Lupin." Severus said with a superior smirk. "And is it my fault that your mind is as slow as a tortoise stomping through peanut butter? If you don't want an eyeful of slime, simply move."

Remus picked up his own stone tossed it into the air and caught it. His expression was calculating as he continued to do so. He caught the stone once more and wrapped his fingers tight around it. He looked as if he were about to smash the glop filled stone into Severus forehead when Lucy's softly accented voice sounded from above."There's something I'd pay good Galleons to see-full contact Gobstones."

Severus and Remus immediately arose from the floor their faces flushed with embarrassment; realising for the first time how juvenile they actually looked.

Aberforth stood in the kitchen doorway with a potholder in his hands, smiling up at his great granddaughter holding onto the stair rail halfway down the steep flight of stairs. Lucy was wearing a comfortable looking pair of beige lounge slacks that emphasised her protruding belly and an old green jumper she had confiscated from Severus. Her freshly washed hair clung damply to her shoulders.

Severus was already meeting her and offered his arm so she could steady her descent. "Pawpaw? Is that roast beef and Yorkshire pudding I smell? It's not even Sunday," she commented as she took Severus' arm.

"Aye."Aberforth's eyes twinkled over his glasses. "What better way to celebrate a gathering of family and friends."


It was getting late. Everyone was allowing Aberforth's fine supper to digest and once again, all were gathered on the floor, the men engrossed in their Gobstones and Harry and Lucy playing with Thor.

The drapes were still open. Thor was sniffing along the edge of the French doors, when she suddenly stood up on her haunches, her ears were erect and scanning for the source of an unknown sound. The bunny stared into the inky blackness beyond. Lucy moved to pick up her rabbit, aware that something outside had startled the animal. But before Lucy could reach her pet, the bunny took off in a grey flash.

"Hey! Where's she going?" Harry said in alarm as he launched himself in an effort to catch the evasive rabbit.

Thor ran right through the game being played on the floor, causing the stones to eject their smelly liquid and pelting everyone in the immediate vicinity. The grimacing men stared casting cleansing spells on themselves.

"Sorry fellas," Lucy apologised sheepishly. "Most likely she spotted a stoat. Could one of you lift this sofa for me?"

Aberforth and Remus arose to help Lucy catch her bunny. Severus was still wiping goop out of his eyes. They narrowed dangerously, as he too began to stare into the dark garden. It was a quiet sound, but he heard something that was no stoat.

"Lucy, I think it's time for Harry to go to bed," he said softly. Severus turned slightly away from the window, but kept his sharp well-developed peripheral vision on the black target he finally spotted.

"Aww, Daddy-It's Friday. Can't I stay up late?" Harry protested.

"Not tonight," Severus said firmly. Aberforth was placing a trembling Thor into Lucy's arms as Remus lowered the sofa back to the floor.

The adults heard the sudden dark change in Severus' voice and looked up. They too, knew there had to be something in the garden hunting something other than rabbit.

Aberforth gave Lucy a transfigured towel she then used to wrap around the trembling animal. "Harry, why don't you come upstairs with me and help me make a warm bed for Thor?," Lucy deftly suggested. "A scare like this could make her sick."

Seeing that Miss Lucy and Thor so obviously needed his help, Harry willingly complied as it was a more grown up task as opposed to going to bed. He led the procession up the stairs as Lucy carefully carried the bunny and her grandfather followed behind, his wand in his hand and hidden in the folds of his kilt.

Severus gave Remus a complicit look. "I think it is time we all retire for the evening," Severus said as he drew the drapes closed.

Severus could see Remus' keen hearing had picked up the same noise that he had. The wolf answered following Severus' lead,"I appreciate your hospitality Severus. I'll be back first thing tomorrow morning."

Continuing with their deception, Severus walked to the Floo and grabbed a handful of Floo powder. He silently indicated to Remus to pick up a throw pillow from the sofa. Showing more intelligence than Severus thought the werewolf had previously possessed, Remus yelled, "Hog's Head!" as Severus tossed the powder into the Floo. The green flames glowed in the room and there was the familiar 'Whoosh' of transport, as Remus tossed in the pillow.

Severus immediately Noxed the house lights.

Severus put a silencing finger to his lips and pointed to Remus to keep down. Severus' heart was pounding in a rush he hadn't felt since he actively began spying for Dumbledore's Order. He was doing an excellent job in keeping his own rising terror in check.

With the absence of indoor lights, Severus could clearly see his garden as he peered out from the edge of his drapes. He felt Lupin's sudden presence behind him, impressed by the man's stealth and grateful for the backup. They could see the form of a large black dog, plastered against the outside wall, close to the French doors and but far enough away to let them two know that the mutt was trying to keep itself in the hidden in the shadows.

Severus did not have the luxury of questioning how Black had managed to breach their final keep.

Steeling himself for action, Severus spun in his spot and in an instant was outside and behind Black.

The dog turned around, startled and thrown off guard. Severus pointed his was wand and uttered a hasty spell and the filthy, emaciated dog was now knelt at his feet in the form of a filthy emaciated man. Before Black could react, Severus grabbed him by the back of his collar and violently threw him against the house.

The murder that flashed in Severus' eyes was every bit as real as the terror in Black's as Severus had Black pinned and his wand pressed hard into the felon's temple. The curse was ready to cross Severus' lips.

"Don't do it, Severus," Remus said determinately as he marched towards the two wizards.

Severus never took his eyes off Black, whose eyes had a momentary spark of hope. "Unless, you want to share Black's fate-you need to shut up!" Severus gritted through his teeth.

Remus was now standing right next to Severus. He jabbed his wand under Black's chin, forcing the wizard to raise his head. Sirius was now truly horrified as he watched his old friends brown eyes turn yellow with rage.

"Harry and Lucy need you too much for you to risk Azkaban with a Killing Curse," Remus growled.

"Let me do it."

The deadly grin on Remus' face as he starred into Black's eyes could have struck fear into the Dark Lord himself.

The End.
An Innocent Man by missyanne
Author's Notes:
What Sirius is thinking, from his own Point of View.

***7 November, 1986-8:47 p.m. ***

Staring into the crazed yellow eyes of the man he once called friend, Sirius knew he was in big trouble. Remus' wand was shoved so far up under Sirius' gullet that it was close to causing a gag reflex.

Not that Sirius could blame the wizard, he understood exactly how Remus felt. Sirius knew that if he ever caught up with Wormtail, he would make sure the rat would bloody pay for his betrayal of James and Lily. For that very reason, Sirius had never been more frightened than what he was at that moment.

"Re…mus," Sirius barely managed to choke out. Sirius' head was forced up into an unnatural position and the wand was hindering his ability to speak.

"Re…musss, It wasn't me," he managed a desperate, guttural cry.

"Bullshite!" Remus spat, more determined than ever. His face contorted almost painfully as he uttered, "Avada Kadav…"

"STOP!" Snape shouted as he put a restraining hand over Remus' wand hand. Severus kept his own wand fixed on Sirius' head. "Lupin, if you cast an Unforgivable it will still be your head, Black or no."

Sirius could breathe again, but just barely. He had just been one syllable away from death, and irony of all ironies, it was Snivellus who saved his life. Over the past few days Sirius' world had turned upside down from everything he had ever known. Snape saving him from the wand of the man he once called 'brother' was almost more than his brain could process.

The pressure from Remus' wand slackened slightly, but the wand was still planted firmly enough that an attempt to escape would be suicide, especially since Snape still had his wand squarely targeted on Sirius' temple. Snape was a yard away, but Sirius was no fool. Although James had been a faster wand than Snape in their formative years, the darker wizard was lighting fast and deadly accurate as a teen. Age and experience had undoubtedly honed his skills.

Sirius knew the only way he was going to come out of this night alive, would be to reason with the two incensed wizards before him.

If he failed, he was a dead man.

"I swear to you, Remus," Sirius pleaded."It was Peter-Peter was the Secret Keeper."

"You lie," said Remus in a deep, feral growl. His nose was practically touching Sirius' as he glared into his former friends eyes.

"You were all known associates of the Potter's and therefore targets of the Death Eater's," Snape said in even yet even more dangerous voice. "I find it hard to believe that even Potter would be so imbecilic as to trust the life of his family to the weakest link in his little band of scuttlers."

Sirius had no idea what the hell a 'scuttler' was, but he was pretty sure from the way Snape sneered as he uttered the word, it was derogatory and referred to the Marauders.

But now wasn't the time for posturing or defending the actions of the dead. He had to convince Remus of the truth.

"It's the truth. We didn't think anyone would suspect Peter. He wanted a chance to do something important," Sirius said desperately, his eyes darted back and forth between the two angry wizards for any sign that one of them may believe him. "Remus…It was Peter. He betrayed James and Lily…he killed all those Muggles."

"Yes…," Remus said mockingly through his gritted teeth. "How convenient that no one has seen him in over five years. Where the hell did he go if you didn't kill him?"

"I don't know," Sirius admitted through his frustration. "He turned into his Animangus and fled into the sewer. For all I know, he's still down there, probably trying to play king rat!" he said vehemently.

Remus a jabbed is wand harder into Sirius' craw ready to mutter a curse. To his surprise, Snape stayed his old enemy's hand once again. Sirius knew better than to think it was from any sense of mercy on the dark wizard's part. Snivellus wanted answers, and by Merlin, Sirius was going to give them to him.

"Why did this not come out in the trial?" Snape asked sceptically. "If you are innocent, why did you not offer up your memories to the Wizengamot?"

"What trial?" Sirius finally had a chance to spit out his own indignation. "I had no trial!" He began to laugh at the absurdity of it all.

Remus and Snape both lowered their wands ever so slightly, looking at each other in stunned disbelief and then back again at Sirius.

As Sirius' brief bout of hysteria began to ebb, his eyes pleaded for someone to believe him.

"Move," Snape said abruptly to Remus and took his place standing before Sirius. Snape's long fingers pinched the sides of Sirius' face and forced the escaped felon to stare at him. Sirius couldn't help but to become transfixed on the fathomless black tunnels that were Snape's eyes. He could smell the faint trace of port and on Snape's breath that he had consumed with the evening pudding, mixed with Sirius' own fetid inhalations. Snape's deep baritone uttered, "Legilimens."

Sirius' psyche was all at once awash in a flood of memory. Despite his mental protest, he was unable to prevent the invasion. The memories kept flying into his vision, faster than he could control. In fact, he had no control. The flashes of memory stopped when Snape came upon what he was looking for.

The day James Potter chose his Secret Keeper.

When Snape broke the connection, the expression on his countenance as he stared back at Sirius was one of both bewilderment and horror.

"Severus?" Remus asked hesitantly as he stepped forward. "What did you see?"

Sirius gazed back at Snape, wondering if his nemesis would tell the truth.

"Black speaks the truth," Snape said in awed disbelief. "He is innocent."

Until that moment, Sirius hadn't realised how much his body was running off of pure adrenaline. A rush of relief overtook him. Somebody finally believed him.

Sirius' back slid down the rough brick surface of Snape's home. He then collapsed to his knees and gratefully wept to the heavens.


Sirius was still trying sort out everything that had happened. He couldn't say that Snape and Remus had been exactly kind to him. But at least he was clean for the first time since he could remember. It was all he could do to remember his manners as he devoured the cold roast beef sandwich at Snape's kitchen table. A fire had been started in the sitting room hearth, and the unfamiliar sensation of warmth began to permeate his body. Sirius exhaled an unconscious sigh of comfort.

Snape had not allowed Sirius to enter his home in the filth encrusted shape the escapee was in. So, Snape retrieved a new bar of soap and Remus cast a warming spell on the water from the garden hose. It was still a cold shower in the chill night air, but with the addition of soap, Sirius had to admit it was much more satisfying and effective than a dip in the fishy-smelling lake.

Snape had even managed to scrounge up some old clothes. They looked to be of some outdated Muggle fashion that Snape hadn't worn since his summers away from Hogwarts when they were students. The faded denim jeans were obviously too small for Snape now, but in Sirius' emaciated state, they would do. Sirius groaned at the threadbare Slytherin jumper Snape threw at him with a self righteous smirk. His was completely mortified when Snape presented him with a pair of decade old, greying underpants. Payback was a bitch, but Sirius took the clothing-begrudgingly. At least they were whole and clean.

As Sirius gulped down the last of his sandwich and tea and looked up at the two wizards. Remus was leaning against the green faux marble linoleum counter and Snape had his back against the faded marigold coloured kitchen wall. Both men had their arms crossed over their chests and neither looked happy.

Both Sirius' plate and cup abruptly vanished from view. Snape indicated with a scowl and a flick of his head that he wanted Sirius to move into the sitting room.


Sirius sat on the new chocolate brown fabric sofa in front of Snape's Floo. He noticed that despite the outdated decor in the small house, the furniture was new and the place was clean. Even the over-abundance of books that lined the walls from floor to ceiling were free of dust.

It also did not go beyond Sirius' notice that there were no Dark tomes anywhere in sight. It had gone that much further to confirm what Sirius had come to suspect since the day before. Musgrave had lied to him over the conditions in which Harry was being raised. The day before, Sirius had watched the entire scene. From the moment Harry had exited the castle with Snape and the Weasley's in tow, until Remus and the barkeep from the Hog's Head chased him into the Dark Forest.

Harry looked to be an exceedingly happy and healthy boy. Snape had actually removed his cloak and rolled up his shirtsleeves so he could teach a flock of young children, most of whom came from a family of blood traitors, a Muggle game. Sirius saw nothing to indicate any Dark doings.

And he was with the Weasleys...of all families.

Sirius had only met Arthur Weasley's wife, Molly, once at an Order New Years Eve party. Arthur had been a mole inside the Ministry. His wife stayed home and raised their rather substantial family. They had a son just a few months older than Harry and had announced that night that they were expecting their seventh child. From the looks of things, they had the daughter they so desperately wanted.

Sirius did not know the Weasley's as well as James and Lily had, but he did know one thing. Arthur Weasley was an ardent Muggle sympathiser and had despised the Dark Arts every bit as much as James had. He would never allow his family to associate with a Death Eater, or anyone else who would pose a Dark threat to his family.

Upon noticing the people of the village and the students in the school, nobody had seemed to be scared or oppressed, as Sirius would have expected should the Death Eaters had managed to take over the Ministry.

Life looked to be normal, or at least what Sirius had imagined to be normal. In all honesty, Sirius could not remember a time that the world had not been under the threat of You-Know-Who. But the world looked to be as the world as they had all imagined a world without You-Know-Who to be. A world James and Lily had fought and died for.

Sirius was seriously confused. If everything was so perfect, why had he been thrown in prison without a trial?

He decided that the best way to find out would be from the inside. Years of hating the man had left Sirius with his suspicions. But for some odd reason, Lily had began to fervently defend Snape after she and James had gone into hiding with Harry, and from the looks of things, her defence of the git may have been justified. Sirius was still not fully convinced.

So Sirius made a hasty change in his plan. Rather than simply tear out Snape's throat and run off with Harry, he decided to try and ingratiate himself to the boy. Perhaps Snape would not be adverse to the child having a dog. Once Sirius had managed to get inside, he could see the truth for himself.

Oh, Sirius still had every intention of eventually taking Harry if he ever managed to become acquitted or if Snape was indeed harming the child. After all, he was Harry's real godfather. It was Sirius' job to ensure that Harry was safe, healthy, and happy...not Snape's. Sirius had no intention upon letting James down in the duty his best friend had bestowed upon him.

Yesterday, Sirius had finally managed to capture Harry's attention. He was only trying to get the child to play, in hope that Harry would make mention of the 'nice doggy' to his guardian. It may have taken a while, but even if Sirius had to lick Snape' boots, he was going to get into their home.

Leave it to Moony to coming running and blow his cover...and when had Remus and Snape become friends? Sirius couldn't return to the Shrieking Shack now. That's the first place Moony would send the hounds. Sirius had already tried his bachelor flat in Soho earlier in the week. It was being watched by Aurors, so that was out.

Once Sirius a had managed to distance himself far enough away from his pursuers to transfigure himself and Disapparate to a cave outside of town that he had chosen as an alternative hiding place, he stopped to think. He was obviously not going to get back into Hogwarts.

The only other place Snape would take Harry would be his own home. The only problem was Sirius had no idea where Snape could possibly live. Sirius did, however, remember where Lily had lived. The Marauders had visited her home on many occasions after they left Hogwarts. Lily had her own flat in Manchester. On one fine summer day, James and Sirius had come to visit without Peter and Remus. Remus had been recovering after one of his transformations and Peter...well...Sirius couldn't remember where Peter had been. Lily had taken new her fiancé and his best friend to see where she was raised and introduced them to her parents. Lily had written home about James, but the Evans' had yet to meet him. She had given them a tour of the neighbourhood and the playground she had once frequented. She had even showed them the childhood home of one Severus Snape.

Sirius had not hoped that Snape still lived there. In fact, the last Sirius had heard, Snape had taken a rundown flat above an apothecary in Knockturn Alley whilst he apprenticed for his Potions Mastery. But he gambled that perhaps Snape's father was still alive. According to Lily, Mr. Snape had been alive at the time she had pointed out the dilapidated two up and two down.

Sirius thought that if he managed to make himself presentable, he could get some information from Snape's father.

Imagine Sirius' surprise, when he could feel the unmistakable aura of magic around the recently renovated house. A wizard lived there. Could Snape have possibly reclaimed his childhood home?

The semi-detached house sat at the end of a cul-de-sac named Spinner's End. It was the last in a series of row houses. When Sirius investigated around the side of the building, he noticed the garden was walled. There was row housing on the opposite side of the way, but on the right and to the back of Snape's home, there was nothing but woods. Unfortunately, the trees were nearly bare, but there were enough bushes about to afford adequate cover if needed. It was a living wood. Sirius could smell the hart, rabbit, and foxes that frequented the area. At least there was game to hunt.

Sirius sniffed around the red brick garden wall. At the far back corner there was one brick that had crumbled and afforded Sirius a view into the garden. The view was partially obstructed from holly bushes that lined the back wall, but he could see well enough. In the middle of the yard was a large, bare birch tree with a Muggle tire hanging by a rope from the largest branch. He could see that the draperies that covered the French doors were drawn. The place looked deserted, as if the residents had left for an extended holiday.

Sirius took stock of the layout of the yard. Once he was sure he could Apparate without landing himself inside the tree, he transfigured himself back into human form and Disappirated into the garden. As he breached the barrier of the property, he thought he might have felt a strange tingling sensation, but thought nothing more of it once he materialised whole.

Sirius had stopped and took a moment looked around. He had not seen it through the bushes whilst he was peering through the hole in the garden wall, but along the left side of the back wall was a greenhouse that took up nearly an entire quarter of the garden. He walked over to the glass building and tried to enter, but it was magically locked. It would probably only take a simple Alohomora to open it, but that proved problematic without a wand.

He looked behind the holly bush that lined the other half of the back wall. There was just enough space between the bush and the wall to offer him cover if needed in a pinch. The sun was beginning to set when Sirius made his way to the obscured window and peered into a small gap in the drapes. It was much too dark inside for Sirius to see anything. Suddenly, the familiar 'Whoosh' of a Floo coming to life startled him. Miraculously, he heard Snape and Albus Dumbledore speaking earnestly to one another. Sirius Disappirated to the other side of the wall before he was discovered and decided to try his luck the next day.

Sirius returned before sunrise and quickly transformed into his Animagus and hid behind the holly bush. He was stunned to actually see Harry. His heart ached at the sight of James' boy. It took every ounce of control Sirius had not to run into the house and take Harry right out from under Snape's hooked nose.

He observed everything that happened in the sitting room that day. Sirius watched Snape fix a breakfast that morning, the smell of fresh eggs and kippers wafted into the garden and for a moment Sirius was afraid the grumbling that stirred in the pit of his stomach may be audible to the inhabitants of the house. The hare that he caught the day before was long since digested. Sirius noticed when Remus arrived by Floo, Snape left for work, and Remus happily taught lessons to Harry at the dining room table. In the early afternoon Harry had vanished to an unknown portion of the house and had not returned to the sitting room until Snape had returned late in the day.

So much, for being Harry's pet dog. The child had a rabbit, and honestly, it looked quite plump and tasty. Sirius snapped himself out of his baser, feral instincts. In fact, he wondered if he was in some alternate reality.

Snape had been sitting on the floor playing Gobstones with Remus and the Hog's Head proprietor. The scene was too domestic. It was obviously a gathering of close friends and family. There was no hint of anything insidious or Dark. Even from his position, Sirius could tell that Snape was patient with and fond of Harry.

Sirius was surprised once again when Snape got up from the floor and escorted none other than Musgrave's Lucy into view. Funny...she did not look Confunded.

The sun had set by the time the gathering had eaten supper and continued with their diversions. Under the cover of darkness, Sirius thought he would try getting closer to the house so he might hear, as well as see what was happening. When he heard a snap under one of his paws, without thinking he looked down to see what it was he stepped on. He did not see the rabbit give warning and bolt from sight. By the time Sirius could audibly discern what was going on in the residence, Snape had announced Harry's bedtime.


Severus stood before the Floo with one hand outstretched to the mantle and the other nursing his ever increasing headache. He didn't know what compelled him to feed the damn mutt and offer him clean clothes, but his charitable mood was quickly vanishing with each resounding 'thump' in his temple. Remus was standing along a side wall, managing to practically blend in with the books and the shadows. The werewolf looked as confused as Severus felt.

"How did you do it, Black?" Severus' sharp inquiry seemed to snap the mangy mutt out of his stupor. "How did you find this house and why are you here?"

He did not bother to ask Black how he breached the Wards. It was obvious that the mongrel meant no harm to Harry. That did not mean, however, that the cretin was not beyond kidnapping the boy. Severus could see memories, not read minds. He needed to find out what Black was up to.

When Severus entered Black's mind, he was only looking for proof of guilt or innocence in his role in the Potter' deaths. He wasn't looking for any details in Black's escape. A decision in which Severus now regretted. Now he was forced to actually play twenty questions. His headache, induced by his own emotional responses, would not allow another trip down Memory Lane with Black of all people.

Severus had seen the exchange where Potter and Black had asked Pettigrew to be the Secret Keeper and the later confrontation between the two former friends that led to the Muggle massacre. Severus also witnessed the grim circumstances where Black was thrown into prison...without the benefit of a trial. Nowhere in Black's mind did Severus find one personal memory of the Dark Lord. The one point in which Severus found himself envious of Black.

"Lily," Black said simply as he nervously ran his hand through his tangled dark hair. "I knew I would be warded out of Hogwarts. I was going to try to find out where you lived from your father."

Severus stiffened slightly at the mention of the abusive lout, but quickly slammed those memories away.

"My father is dead," Severus said impassively, not bothering to ask when Lily had betrayed that particular trust. He then startled the men in the room with a sudden outburst as he turned and pointed an accusing finger at his uninvited 'guest'. "Why where you looking for my home? What do you want?"

"Harry!" Sirius barked as he bolted up from the sofa. He inexplicably shot backwards right back into the seat and briefly struggled against a Sticking Charm. Severus glanced over at Remus just in time to see the wizard slip his wand back into his robes. Despite the fact that it had just been revealed that Black was indeed innocent, Lupin did not look very happy with his old friend.

When Black realised his efforts against Lupin's rather effective Sticking Charm was fruitless, he once again directed his venom towards Severus. "He's my godson," he spat with one more good effort to jerk away from the cushions for effect. "What the hell are you doing with my godson?"

Severus leaned into Black's personal space and told him bluntly. "I just so happens, that Lily was not the imbecile her husband was," Severus smirked as Black shot him an ineffective look that was meant to kill. "She took advantage of her right to name a secondary godfather. She named me, her oldest friend, probably in knowing that you were too reckless and irresponsible to be up to the task."

"Now you lie!" Black accused. "Lily would never trust her son to a Death Eater! Everybody knows you were involved in Dark Magic up to that crooked nose of yours!"

Severus scowled and grabbed Black by the collar of the thin jumper. He managed to yank out several of the S.O.B.'s chest hairs in the process and the subsequent yelp from Black brought a grim smile to Severus' face.

This time, it was Remus who prevented the violence from escalating when he abruptly interrupted the exchange as he stepped forward out of the shadows. "He was a spy, Sirius." Severus and his intended victim both directed their attention to the man they had nearly forgotten was in the room. "It was Severus' information that touched off Dumbledore to the fact that You-Know-Who was after Harry. Perhaps Dumbledore told Lily. And truth be told, Severus is a wonderful father to Harry. If you care a whit about the boy, you won't interfere."

Severus and Black both looked at Remus in disbelief. In all honesty, Severus hadn't believed that Lupin would continue to defend him after the werewolf found out his old friend was innocent. That one statement had won Remus Lupin the rare honour and title of 'friend' in Severus' world.

"Yes..." Black said bitterly. "Where was Dumbledore when it came time to defend my innocence? He is the Chief Warlock of the Wizengamot for Merlin's sake."

"He was in the States at my grandmother's funeral."

The stern feminine voice directed everyones attention once again to the staircase.

"Lucy? What are you doing...?"

"Harry is asleep, Severus. Pawpaw is watching him," Lucy said as he slowly descended the stairs with one had on the railing and the other setting protectively on her belly. Her eyes were narrowed and she kept a suspiscious glare fixed on Black. "I have a few questions to ask your 'house guest'." Her tone was even, but one could detect that the acid in the last two words.

Severus let go of his grip on Black and met Lucy at the foot of the stairs. He put a gentle hand around her bicep, as if he were going to lead back up the stairs. "What are you doing down here?" he asked in a voice low enough not to be heard by the others. "You don't have your wand and..."

Lucy cut him a look that warned him not to patronise her. "I'm not a child," she said in her own low and dangerous tone, but her eyes immediately softened and she exhaled a sigh when she must had realised she sounded harsher than she intended. "I'll be okay," Lucy promised and smiled, her blue eyes pleading for him to understand. She brushed a soft finger across his worried brow. "There are some things I have to know, Severus, and I trust that you won't let anything happen to me."

Lucy stood on her toes and gave Severus a soft kiss on his lips, oblivious to the witnesses in the room. He did not like the fact that she was unarmed, or that he knew she would eventually end up angry and upset. But he did acknowledge Lucy's need to know Musgrave's hand in this debacle. Severus exhaled his own sigh of resignation and nodded to Lucy his understanding.

Severus put his arm around Lucy's waist and escorted her to the sitting area. Remus stood behind the chair that was furthest from Black and pulled it in an angle to allow Lucy easier access in the small space. Lucy ignored the offered chair and instead took the seat closet to Black.

Severus watched as she sat down gracefully, her small form neat and composed, whilst she silently assessed Black with stony blue eyes. She was the epitome of control, showing no fear and no sign of what she might be thinking.

The house was completely dark with the exception of the fire light from the hearth. It was a tenebrous illumination and Severus marvelled at the way Lucy glowed in the wan light and at her quiet strength in the face of a man she still had yet to be convinced wasn't mass murder. Vermeer himself could not have portrayed her any lovelier. Severus hadn't thought that it would be possible to love Lucy more than he had already, but he most definitely did. Everything and everyone else was bathed in shadow and at that very moment, Lucy was the brightest light in his world.

The End.
Revelations by missyanne

***7 November, 1986-11:03 p.m. ***

"Tell me Mr. Black," Lucy began evenly, her soft and low American regional accent slightly more pronounced. Her voice was as stoic as gaze she set on Black. "What did Kenneth tell you?"

Severus was not fooled. He knew underneath her seemingly placid facade, Lucy was livid. If she was anything like himself she was at her most dangerous.

Lucy's demeanour indicated that she would tolerate nothing less than Black's forthrightness in the matter.

Black was clearly awkward in Lucy's presence and the reason became obvious. Black had not been this close to a woman in years and whether consciously or unconsciously, his body was reacting to Lucy's close proximity. Lupin's Sticking Charm had made matters worse as the mongrel did not have the ability to cross his legs.

Although it was impossible for her not to be aware Black's emerging erection as he vainly attempted nonchalance, Lucy had the grace not to indicate that she noticed his shame. She simply sat there, regally composed, awaiting his answer to her question.

Severus, on the other hand, was not so magnanimous towards Black's indignity. He began to seethe as he brusquely pushed Lupin's hand of the back of the upholstered Queen Anne chair he had offered Lucy and wadded up the afghan that had been draped over it. Severus lobbed it at Black.

Remus coughed uncomfortably into his fist as both Lucy and Black looked up at Severus. The amused gleam her eyes gave to Severus was the only indication Lucy gave that something was amiss.

Black gave Severus an uncharacteristic look of gratitude as he took the wadded up blanket and hastily spread it across his lap, "I...I'm sorry," he stuttered his apology to Lucy. "I'm so embaras..."

"I assure you, your hard on does not interest me, Mr. Black," Lucy said flatly as turned her attention back to the prisoner.

Black palled at Lucy's blunt pronouncement. Remus' cough nearly turned into a choking fit and although he was thrown off by Lucy's frankness in the presence of other men, Severus couldn't help but to smirk. Apparently her retort was enough to deflate Black's...ego...as he seemed to settle himself after Lucy's comment.

Severus gave Remus a quick slap on the back and Remus nodded his gratitude through his mirthful tears. Severus walked over and stood behind Lucy's chair then placed is hand on her shoulder. The fragrance of his sandalwood soap and Harry's baby shampoo wafted from her skin and hair.

Lucy reached back with her own hand and held his to her, indicating that Severus was the only man with permission to touch her.

"As I was saying..." Lucy was impassive as she gained Black's hesitant eye contact again. "Kenneth? Did he tell you about Harry and Severus?"

Severus was taken aback by her first question to Black. He truthfully thought she would ask about Musgrave's excuse for his incarceration and what he had said about her, but rather, her first question concerned himself and Harry. As if she could feel what he was thinking, Lucy gave Severus' hand a slight squeeze.

Now that Black had found a semblance of dignity, he was capable of answering Lucy's question without too much trepidation. "Not initially," he admitted. "Lucius Malfoy mentioned it in passing. My cousin's husband was not even aware I was in the next cell."

"I see," Lucy said evenly. "And what exactly did your 'cousin's husband' say to Kenneth?"

Black looked even more uncomfortable, as if assessing whether or not his answer would end up getting him cursed. But the look Severus gave coupled with that of Lupin's, Black knew in no uncertain terms, that not answering would definitely warrant a curse.

Black cast is eyes down before he answered Lucy. "Malfoy said that it wasn't enough that Sniv...Snape had to claim Harry, but now he claimed Kenneth's child as well."

"Sirius," Everybody looked over to Remus Lupin as he circled the chair he had been standing behind the entire time and took a seat. "What exactly did Kenneth Musgrave tell you about Severus and Lucy?" he asked as he leaned forward, resting his elbows on his knees. He held is gaze fixed on his old friend. His quiet intensity matched Lucy's.

Black's hard gulping swallow was the only audible sound in the room before he finally answered. "That Snape had manipulated his way into Harry's guardianship in a bid for power," the first finger was met by his thumb, and then a second as he said, "He had framed Kenneth for attempted infanticide, and that he had Confunded Lu…erm…you, in order to have you and ingratiate his way into the Dumbledore family."

Lucy looked up at Severus at the same time he cast his gaze down to her. She turned back to the mutt.

"Do I look Confunded to you, Mr. Black?" Lucy asked irritably, breaking her composure breaking for the first time.

"Nah... Uh...No," Black reluctantly admitted with a slight shake of his head. "May I ask a personal question of you...Lu...Miss...?"

"Dr. O'Conner will do. You may ask, but an answer depends upon the nature of the question."

Black nodded in agreement and carefully asked, "Your baby, Dr. O'Conner? Who is the father?" his eyes quickly glanced up suspiciously to Severus.

Severus scowled at Black for his impertinence, but Lucy was un-fazed. "If you speak of who sired my child, I assure you-it was Kenneth, Mr. Black. As for who her father is," Lucy looked up and gave Severus a slight smile and closed her eyes. She looked as though she were trying to find the right words. When she finally opened her eyes and turned to Black and said "Severus is her godfather."

Black still looked sceptical. "Why would Kenneth try to kill his own child?"

Severus could feel Lucy's shoulders tense with pent up frustration and unconsciously tried to massage away her tension, "Because he is a control freak and a manipulative bastard," Lucy tried to say causally.

Black scoffed, and then retorted cynically."And Severus Snape isn't?"

Lucy's patience was now beginning to run as thin as her pursed lips. "I will have you know Mr. Black," Lucy said vehemently. "that it was Kenneth who poured that tea laced with Amortentia and I was the one to discover it." Black's eyes snapped up. It was obviously the first he had heard of this. "Uncle Albus found the potion phial on him and even Legilimized him. It was all Kenneth-all the time, Mr. Black. Severus wasn't even in the room."

"It just so happens," Severus interjected. "That an affidavit arrived from the Ministry today. Musgrave confessed."

Black's jaw dropped as the realisation slowly dawned on him and he was forced to see the truth. "So he did lie to me."

Lucy's lips quirked in irritation, "Imagine that," she said dryly.

"Have you even bothered to read the Prophet?" Severus asked heatedly. "The world thinks you are after Harry."

Sirius looked bewildered. "I am after Harry. Why the surprise?"

"Not to protect him, you great git," Remus snapped. "To kill him. Everybody is convinced you are out to kill Harry!"

"What!" Black shouted as he struggled to release himself from Remus' spell. In his struggle, the blanket had unceremoniously fell to the floor. Lucy flinched slightly at the sudden outburst, but still managed to hold her composure. "Damn it, Remus! Do you mind? I'm not going to hurt anybody!"

Remus looked to Severus and gave a questioning glance. Severus cast his eyes down to Lucy, who was in too close of a proximity to Black for Severus' liking, and gave a subtle shake of his head.

"Not yet," Remus said sternly. "Not until we're sure you can hold your temper."

"Since when did you become Snivellus' lap dog, Moony?" Black snapped spitefully with a jerk of his head in Severus' direction. "I never thought of you as someone who could so easily take it up the a..."

Remus' posture stiffened at Black's insult and Lucy squeezed Severus' hand even tighter. He knew she getting ready to knock the shite out of Black in defence of her friend if the bastard didn't back off.

"If you wish to leave this house in one piece, Mr. Black, I highly recommend that you hold-your-tongue," Lucy's eyes nailed Black with a stone cold glare. Lucy's voice was so chilling, that even Severus' spine crawled.

"Look, lady...I don't know if your boyfriend there has told you everything about himself," Black pointed to Severus. "But he was Dark as they came! Tell us, Snivellus, how many innocent people did you rape and kill before you miraculously 'saw the light'?"

Black was a bigger fool than Severus had originally taken him for. Severus had already drawn his wand. Lupin did not even bother to stop him. But before a curse could cross his lips, the crackle of ozone filled the room. Severus slowly lowered his wand and he, and every other wizard in the room looked around for the source of the wild magic.

The source became apparent as the sound of a hard connected blow and crack of bone reverberated from the walls.

"Oww! "Morgana's frigid tits!" Black screamed out as he grabbed his face in agony. Blood was pouring out from between his fingers.

Severus' attention was suddenly drawn to Lucy. She sat rigid, her hands were clasped so tightly around the arms of his chair, he thought for a moment she might crack the mahogany with her own strength.

Severus rounded the chair and was on his knees in front of Lucy before Remus managed to leave his chair. "Lucy...Darling...can you hear me?"

He knew what her problem was. She did not have her wand and ironically in her weakened state, she was unable to control the emotionally charged accidental magic. He suspected she had withdrawn as she was desperately trying desperately to rein her magic in. As impressive as the display looked, it was in actuality a very weak example of what could happen if a full grown and powerful magus lost control.

Severus shuddered to think what could have happened if Lucy's magic had been fully intact. Then again, probably nothing, as she would have had the strength to keep that magic from escaping.

Severus was just about to have Remus summon Poppy when Lucy finally became coherent. "Whoa...," she said breathlessly. "I suppose it's a good thing I only wanted to punch him in the nose."

"Lucy, are you sure you are alright?" The relief in his voice was evident as he brushed aside one of her golden bangs so he could have a good look into her eyes. Other than exhaustion, Lucy looked normal.

"Mm hmm," she nodded wearily.

"Wha...? Wha's goig on? Eh see alight?" Black frantically asked through his broken nose. Despite the fact that she just shattered his proboscis, he sounded concerned for the pregnant Lucy and guilty that he may have been the cause of her condition.

Severus was too busy checking over Lucy to pay any heed to the dog, but he heard Remus bite out, "She's suffering from Magical Exhaustion, Sirius. She shouldn't be exerting herself."

"She hab Madical Egsalbshon?" he tried to exclaim in disbelief. "Ib hay tube see wha see like whem see is perky! You knowb, she obiously isn' Confummed," Black shouted to Severus through his increasingly swollen nose. "Sees perfek for you, Sname. Goob bluck tube you boaf."

Severus still had his back to the wizards when Remus muttered, "For Merlin's sake... Episkey!"

"Oww! Fu- erm hell!" Black exclaimed for the second time in five minutes. Severus heard the springs on the sofa squeak as Black attempted to jump. "Can't you give a man fair warning, Remus?"

Severus blocked out the rest of the conversation and focused his attention on Lucy. She was a bit listless, but otherwise seemed unharmed.

He was angry with himself for not adhering to his instincts. He should have physically carried Lucy right back up the stairs and dealt with the subsequent temper tantrum later.

"Lucy, do think you can walk?" Severus asked cautiously, offering both hands to his drowsy witch.

"Of course I can," Lucy mummbled and dropped her head sluggishly.

She took Severus' rough hands and attempted to stand only to find that her legs betrayed her. Severus caught her as she collapsed but Lucy weakly insisted , "I promise I can do this, Severus."

Severus rolled his eyes at Lucy's hopeless attempt to assert her independence. "Obstinacy, thy name is Lucille," he sighed to himself as he swept his witch off her feet and into his arms.

"Severus? What are you doing?" she asked in confusion as she looked around, as she appeared though she was trying to understand why her feet were no longer on the floor.

"Taking you to bed," he said simply as he ascended the narrow staircase, leaving the captured prisoner behind and in the trusted hands of Remus Lupin.

Lucy looked at him and uttered "Oh?" She put her arms around Severus' neck and sleepily said into his shoulder, "I'd love to but not tonight, Sweetheart. I really do have a headache."


Severus changed Lucy into her favourite night shirt and informed Aberforth what happened to Lucy and with Sirius Black in his sitting room.

The elder wizard assured Severus that he would keep a close watch over his charges and would cast a minor Ward on the upper landing, just in case.

"As much as I hate to say it, boy, you need to contact Albus right away," Aberforth advised. "Something needs to be done with him. You can't keep an escaped felon in your home."

Severus put his hand to his chin and gave a contemplative nod. "I have no intention to," he said in agreement. His mind, however, was on other matters.

He was thinking that he needed to get in contact with his barrister, Mr. Singh. Albus would see to it that Black would be acquitted, as should be. But Severus also knew that Black would do everything he could to get his hands on Harry. Severus hated to play hardball on this, but he was not about to give up his boy. He had already started the clandestine adoption process and though it may be dirty pool, Severus would keep his intentions secret from Black.

He was roused from his musings when he noticed Aberforth looking over the landing and into the sitting room below.

"Severus, you better get down there, son."

Severus looked over his elder's shoulder to see Remus and Black in a heated debate.

"You fool...Do you know what you may have done?"

"Of course I do, Moony. Why do you think I'm telling you now? And will you take off this damned Sticking Charm!"

"What's this?" Severus demanded as he whisked down the narrow staircase. "What new terror have you brought upon us now, you mangy cur?"

Remus had his arms crossed and was pacing in front of the sofa like a caged wolf. "Oh...you've really done it this time, Padfoot."

"I only taught him as a means to diminish the effect of the Dementors. I didn't know it could be used for escape until I actually did it myself!"

"What the hell has Musgrave to do with your escape, Black?" Severus scowled dangerously from behind him.

Remus stopped his pacing and tossed his hands in to the air in frustration. "Genius over there went and taught Kenneth Musgrave the subtle art and exact science of Animagus Transfiguration. Guess how 'Genius' escaped?"

"The Dementors took no heed of a dog strolling out of the prison," Severus glared at the back of Black's dark head. "I don't suppose you know what form Musgrave takes?"

"No," Black shamefully admitted. "I've never seen it. All I know that he has taken the form of some kind of bird...Snape, look...I'm sorry for what I said earlier, truly. I didn't mean to ..."

"Save it, mutt," Severus said under his breath as he quickly strode over to his Floo.

It was already after midnight. Had they really been interrogating Black for over three hours? Aberforth was right. It was past time to have Albus involved. Severus grabbed a bit of the glittering green powder from the receptacle on the mantel and tossed it into the Floo. The amber flames immediately changed to green, now causing an eerie emerald glow throughout the dark room.

Severus hitched up his trouser legs and knelt before the hearth. He plunged his head into the cool jade flames and bellowed, "Albus Dumbledore's Chambers,-Hogwarts!"


Albus Dumbledore now sat in the same chair Lucy had occupied only thirty minutes before.

He was garbed in blue robes that were so dark; he practically resembled a disembodied head floating about the room. Severus was sitting stoically in the opposite arm chair. Remus still chose to stand, once again hidden amongst Severus' books.

"Sirius," Albus said sadly. "I cannot apologise to you enough for not checking in on you. Events happened during a very difficult time for my family, and I trusted Mr. Crouch's word. I assure you, there will be a full investigation and I will see personally to your full acquittal. Crouch will have much to answer for."

With the presence of Albus Dumbledore assuring Black would not do anything rash, the wizard had finally been released from Lupin's overly effective Sticking Charm. Though Black's anxiety was palpable in the presence of the Headmaster, he at least seemed more comfortable. His legs were now crossed and he was capable of turning his back on Severus' cold eyes.

"And what about Harry?" Black asked. "I was named is primary godfather," he pointedly reminded. "If I hadn't been wrongfully tossed into prison, I would have him right now."

Severus was about to burn Black with his answer, but a raised hand from Albus stayed his tongue. "That is not necessarily the case, my boy," Albus said as he shook his head in disagreement. "Lily cast powerful Blood Wards to protect Harry from Voldemort's followers. They are only effective when Harry can make his home with someone of her own blood. As Mrs. Dursley-Lily's sister, Petunia is...inadequate...in the role of Harry's guardian, Severus is the only alternative."

"Wait... are you telling me Snape and Lily were related?" Sirius palled. He could see his claim over Harry slipping away and for a brief moment, Severus took pity. Everybody knew that blood took precedence over an ephemeral claim to kinship such as godparent in the eyes of the law. Severus was fully aware, however, if Black ever knew the conditions in which he acquired his blood ties with Lily, he could contest Severus' claim in front of the Wizengamot. The Blood Wards had to be kept secret from the Ministry and the general public, just in case some idiot tried to devise a counter-charm.

"In a matter of speaking, yes," Albus unhesitantly hedged. "Rest assured that, Harry is in good hands with Severus. Once matters are settled legally, perhaps the two of you can come to some sort of arrangement regarding the child," Albus suggested magnanimously, this time, his eyes gleaming over his half moon glasses to Severus.

Black did not look assured in the least. Point of fact, Severus thought the prison-gaunt wizard look as though he would sick up.

"Remus?" Albus asked over his shoulder.

"Yes, Albus?"

"Would you be so kind as to deliver see that Sirius to is safely ensconced at Grimmauld Place?"

"I'm not about to hide under my mother's robes!" Black said heatedly. "She wouldn't have me, anyway."

"Walburga died last year, Sirius," Remus said unsympathetically as he stepped out from the shadows.

The only emotional response Black gave was to blink, "Oh?" Severus was interested to note that he was reminded of his own reaction when his father passed.

"Yes," Albus concurred, "And the hold she had on your inheritance as Orion's heir has been lifted. You now have full access to the house and your family vaults, seeing as the Goblins of Gringott's only care that you possess the keys. They are rather like Switzerland in that regard," he said the last, mostly to himself.

"Father's Wards about the house are powerful," Black conceded. He still looked as though the idea of returning to his childhood home as distasteful.

"You must be sure to remain there. It is imperative that you remain unseen," Albus said sternly. "At least until I can have a trial set."

"I still have to go through a trial?"

"It is only a formality," Albus reassured. "But I'm afraid it is a necessary one nonetheless." he said as he arose. "And Severus, I am leaving for Azkaban from here to assure that Mr. Musgrave remains where he belongs."

Severus arose from his chair and nodded his head in gratitude and relief. He said, "Thank you, Albus,"

"I'm afraid I shall have to Legilimize the young man," Albus said regretfully. "The proper Wards around his cell cannot be constructed without knowing exactly what form he takes."

That explained why Black could simply stroll out the doors whilst other Animagi remained safely incarcerated.

"Now then," Albus said with finality and thus closing the subject. "Where is Lucy, Severus? I should like to check on her before I away."

"Up the stairs and to the end of the corridor," Severus said. "Your brother is caring for her," he warned.

Albus gave a wan smile. "Then for the sake of domestic harmony, I shall keep my visit brief."

***10 November, 1986 ***

Severus sat at his desk. He really should be trying to catch up on his backlog of grading. Unfortunately his mind was not on the fourth year research essays regarding the properties of Bezoars. At the moment, Severus found himself drawing out crude architectural plans.

The weekend had been a whirlwind for Severus and not much of a respite from his work week. It was originally planned for Remus to stay Friday evening on the sofa so Severus would have a chance to move over his and Harry's belongings, but much to the chagrin of Severus and Lupin, that was not the case.

Keeping Black in his proper place was going to prove problematic. The mutt kept insisting upon meeting Harry. Remus warned Severus that it may be prudent to erect anti-Apparition wards around his home and to make sure that his Floo denied access from Grimmauld Place. Severus still had no idea what he was going to tell Harry about Sirius Black and unless Black showed some responsibility and restraint, once Severus' parental rights were secure, he was earnestly contemplating naming Remus Lupin as Harry's godfather.

Lupin had confided in Severus that he felt resentful he was charged with seeing to Black. Remus was still angry with Potter and Black for naming Peter Pettigrew as their Secret Keeper. No one knew for sure how long Pettigrew had been the Dark Lord's spy, but the rat was always the most cowardly and vulnerable of their motley crew. Even if Pettigrew hadn't turned coat, Potter and Black would have sentenced the man they called friend to death. How could they not consider that Pettigrew would not be suspect to the Death Eaters?

It seems that Severus was not the only one who perceived Black as a coward and Potter a fool.

Severus had come to find that he found a kindred spirit in Remus Lupin, each keenly feeling the pain over the loss of dear friends and a deep rooted resentment of Sirius Black. Now that Severus and Remus knew the truth as to who actually betrayed their friends, they promised each other that if they ever came across Pettigrew, there would be no negotiating. He was a dead rat.

Strangely enough, Severus was more sympathetic to Black's plight than Remus was. Severus knew what it was like to be labelled as a pariah. He knew the guilt of losing his best friend to a fleeting lapse in judgment and a moment of fear. Severus even understood Black's need to take care of Harry and carry out his greatest promise to his friends.

And Severus had to honest with himself, he had been forgiven of much more heinous crimes than Black had ever committed. He could not in good conscience hold Black's error in judgment over his head for too long.

But unless Black took his head out of his arse and accepted that his perceptions on reality were skewed and that Harry was in the best place he could possibly be, Black would burn his bridges irrevocably.

It wasn't until mid-afternoon on Saturday when Remus could arrive at Severus' home and the werewolf was obviously tired. Lupin had to make the trip to Gringott's in Black's stead and make sure that he had food and the basic necessities at hand. The old house elf would see to Black from there. According to Lupin, the wizened elf was happy to have someone to serve after being without his mistress for over a year. Much to Black's ire, the elf had welcomed him back as a martyred hero for sacrificing his freedom to the Dark Lord's cause and ridding the world of filthy Muggles and blood traitors- a comment that had earned the elf a quick kick from Black. Severus thought that was foolish on Black's part. It was akin to suicide to turn a bound servant against its master.

Lucy had actually slept most of the weekend and surprisingly stayed in bed whilst she was awake. Poppy had checked in and informed Lucy that another outburst like the previous nights could permanently cost Lucy her magic.

Lucy did not lack for much in her incapacitated state. Harry was eager to attend her every need... as many needs as a six year old could practically attend to. He would happily crawl up next to her in bed and read his 'newest favourite' story, The Velveteen Rabbit. Harry would even bring Thor into bed with them to listen to his storytelling.

Aberforth and Albus had stopped in everyday to visit their granddaughter and niece. Severus wondered what they could have said to each other on Friday night. It was the first time he hadn't seen the brothers at each other throats after five minutes in the same room together.

Severus asked Lucy what she required from her home or office. He brought her the spell book photographs, her calligraphy supplies, some music she had requested and daily classroom progress reports from Binns. At least she would have some diversion during the week as she began to recover.

Now with Black out of his hair for the moment and the knowledge that Harry and Lucy were no longer in mortal danger, Severus set his mind on other things.

Having so many people in and out of his home over the weekend made Severus realise that it was much too small. He had spent a good portion of the miniscule inheritance he had received from his grandmother Prince to renovate his humble abode when he agreed to take over Harry's guardianship. He knew if he tried to sell the old house now, he would not get half of what it was actually worth. The neighbourhood was simply too far gone.

But there was another alternative. The house that was attached to his had been vacant since before his father had died. The previous owners had lost it to bankruptcy and the bank had yet to find a buyer after all these years. Severus was sure he could acquire the additional property at a relative steal. With the added room, he could add a study and additional bedrooms, expand the sitting room, perhaps even a Master bedroom with an en suite. He could knock out the dividing garden wall and provide a space more suitable for children to run and play.

The purchase and renovation of the house would take up what was left of his inheritance, but Severus felt that an investment in his home would be well worth it. Who knows? Someday it may accommodate a growing family.

A slight, distinctive knock on his office door interrupted Severus' happy musings. Severus recognised the knock. Leave it to Albus Dumbledore!

"Enter, Albus," Severus grumbled as he rolled up the amateur plans and put them in the top drawer of his desk.

"Taking a working lunch I see," said Albus, with his gift for stating what was patently obvious. Severus noted with some irritation that the Headmaster was eyeing Severus' forgotten, half eaten cheese and pickle sandwich with a proprietary air.

Not really wishing to have a lengthy conversation with his employer, Severus picked up the sandwich and took a bite, despite the fact the plain white bread and cheddar cheese had long since dried out.

"Hmm...mmm, yes," he nodded his head in mid-chew. He wiped his mouth with his serviette and said, "As you can see I have a great deal of grading to attend to, Albus," indicating the cascading pile of rolled up essays. "I trust this won't take long."

"Not at all, my boy," Albus answered, setting himself in the chair across from Severus' desk. Before he sat completely down, his eyes lit up at the site of pickled onions setting on the side of Severus' plate.

"Are those Aberforth's?"

"Hmm? Oh...Yes. Help yourself," Severus gestured absentmindedly as he pretended to pursue over Mr. Tremlett's illegible essay. The Hufflepuff was never going to make anything of himself if he didn't get that bloody guitar out of his arse and put his nose into his books. What was the name of that nauseating group he and his band of little miscreants were trying to form? 'The Weird Sisters', or some rubbish.

Albus plucked a pearl onion of Severus' plate and tossed it into his mouth before sitting down. "I miss these," he said nostalgically as he chewed. "Mother's recipe, you know."

Severus could no longer hide his impatience. He purposefully placed the parchment to the table and said archly, "Oh, do just get on with it. Surely you did not come to reminisce over root vegetables, Albus."

He slid the plate over to the Headmaster. Severus had already lost his appetite.

"I just simply thought I would give you an update on Sirius Black's revelations."

Severus leaned back in his chair and looked up at the ceiling. He really did need to get rid of some cobwebs. Then again, they did add to his projected persona. But he simply rolled his shoulders theatrically and lamented, "I could have gone the rest of my life without hearing that name again."

"I do understand, Severus." Albus replied, and if it were possible, Severus thought he could hear the man twinkle. "So do you want wish to hear the 'bad news' or the 'not quite as bad news' first?"

Severus was still studying his ceiling when he rolled his eyes. "Please, Headmaster, get on with it."

"First-the 'not so bad'," Albus said as he finished chewing the second onion, "I have acquired a copy of Mr. Black's trial transcripts. It appears that not one the four Wizengamot members that are listed as attending have any memory of doing so."

Severus sat forward once again, giving his undivided attention to Albus. "The trial transcripts are falsified?"

"Complete fiction," Albus said soberly. "I have ordered an investigation through Internal Affairs and have filed on Sirius' behalf that his sentence be immediately overturned. He can still be charged with the crime, only this time he would receive a fair trial. It would be advantageous if we could produce Pettigrew, but with the Ministry foul up the Wizengamot is likely to believe Sirius, especially if he offers up his memories."

Severus was relieved to hear this news. He may never be friends with Black, but Severus had no desire to see an innocent man handed over to the Dementors.

"And the bad news?"

"I was unable to gain access to Mr. Musgrave," Albus said gravely. "I informed the Warden of their prisoner's new found talent and he assured me that they would have a Ministry Auror capable of Legillimancy look into the matter, however, Musgrave is on suicide watch and is restricted from any visitation."

"Suicide watch?" Severus said incredulously. "He hardly seems the type."

"Imprisonment can change a man. Though I must say, it does sound suspicious considering he allegedly confessed and thereby assured his sentence."

Severus did not like the sound of the implication."Allegedly?"

"My boy, after recent events, I find it difficult to take any claim of the Ministry at face value anymore."

The End.
Harry Makes a Proposal by missyanne

***11 November, 1986 ***

The Heads of House were all sitting in the conference room waiting for Albus to arrive and go over the midterm budget before they could call it a day. Severus was desperate to get home and Albus had yet to arrive to his own meeting. Severus had missed his lunch and he did not like the air of conspiracy that seemed to hover about his fellow professors.

At the moment he was both hungry and surly. He had to contact Molly Weasley during his lunch break to see if she would be might agreeable to watch Harry for the rest of week.

Lupin had received an owl from the Director of the London Wizarding Philharmonic. When Lupin discovered the new Ukrainian conductor, Gregory Cheburko, had a granddaughter that suffered from Lycanthropy, he took a chance and asked for an audition. He told no one of this because he was certain of disappointment. Much to Lupin's surprise, his chance paid off. In two weeks he would audition for the recently open chair of Third Violin. It was not much time to prepare his repertoire and Lupin needed every moment available to practice. If he received the post, it would be the first time in Remus' adult life that he acquired employment on his own merit and not on the charity of friends.

Severus was leery about leaving Lucy on her own. She was stronger and capable of simple spells, but Flooing or Apparating was still out of the question for another few days. Lucy was willing to watch Harry, but if something were to happen to the boy, she would not have the capability to spirit him away for help.

Severus could kick himself in retrospect. He brought Lucy into his home to protect, but instead, he made her into a virtual prisoner. Not that Lucy complained. She insisted that she was used to holing herself up for weeks on end with her research. She was simply anxious to get back to her students and scriptorium.

But there was one happy outcome to this. Upon hearing that Harry would once again be joining their brood, young Ronald subsequently beg...requested that Harry sleep over. Molly had left the decision to Severus. Severus had not foreseen a problem. Harry had been confined to Spinner's End for nearly a week and deception had to be maintained in regards to Black. Bringing Harry back to Hogwarts was out of the question for the time being. As a result, Severus agreed to bring Harry to the Burrow after supper if Harry was so inclined.

That would mean a night alone with Lucy.

Severus was rousted out of his musings when he heard a tiny, attention-getting, "Ahem," Filius was rocking back and forth on his feet whilst hiding something behind his back. Minerva and Pomona both towered behind him. Try though they might to conceal their mischievous natures from their faces, their eyes hid nothing.

"What is this?" Severus cautiously eyed his fellow Heads of House and the brown paper package Filius had just presented him with. "My birthday isn't for another two months yet," he said referring to the tradition of the Heads to go in on a single birthday gift for their colleague.

"We are aware of that Severus," Pomona giggled with almost giddy anticipation. "This is something we thought you could use now rather than later."

"Yes," Minerva concurred and then she added, as if deflecting blame, "Besides...It was Filius' idea,"

"Well, everybody always thinks of the mother at this time, nobody ever takes into consideration what the fa...Well-just open it Severus," the half Goblin squeaked impatiently after scowling at Minerva.

Severus raised an eyebrow and cast a suspicious eye at his colleagues. He wasn't sure he wanted to know what was under the innocuous plan brown paper wrapping. Severus did not put it past Minerva and Filius to present him with something of a dubious or erotic nature. Pomona would just go along with the prank because she was too timid to voice her opposition. Minerva may be strict and unyielding to her students, but the old bird still had the Gryffindor proclivity for pulling the occasional practical joke and involving as many people in on the fun as she could.

Severus gingerly opened the package under the anxious gaze of his elder Heads. He moved his head as far back as he could, halfway expecting Wartcap powder to explode in his face.

When the wrapping was finally laid open across his lap and his gift revealed, Severus didn't whether to feel touched or horrified.

"Pregnancy and Childbirth: A Guide for the Expectant Father," Severus said, slightly confused. Surely they did not believe the rumours that he... His confusion swiftly changed to irritation at the thought.

"We know you're not the biological father, Severus," Pomona quickly said, sensing Severus' mood. She rushed over to pat the younger professor on his hand to placate him.

"But it is no secret to anyone who Lucy's partner is in her pregnancy," Minerva further explained. "And you are, after all, the child's godfather."

"But I...," as his ire abated, he was at a loss for words.

"Severus," Filius interjected. "Please accept this gift in the sentiment in which it is intended. Merlin only knows I wish I had such a book when Agatha was expecting my first boy, Hephaestus."

"If you ever need advice or just an ear to bend, Severus; remember we have all been through this before," Pomona reminded him as she looked to the other witch and wizard in the room.

"Twelve times," Filius beamed proudly as he continued to bounce on the soles of his feet.

Severus nearly choked on air at the very idea of siring twelve children. Lucy would have him gelded at the mere suggestion

Severus nearly forgot that Filius had actually been a contemporary of Aberforth's at Hogwarts. His youngest daughter, Felicity, was on the school Gobstones team with Severus' mother. Felicity Black nee' Flitwick married into a branch of the Black family that had been long since disinherited by the Most Ancient and Noble blah, blah, blah, so on, and so forth, and et cetera, ad nauseum.

"Yes, if there's anyone who could give you direction on where to find picked herring and cassava melons at three o'clock in the morning, it's Filius," Pomona teased as she looked at her diminutive colleague.

Severus' thought pickled herring at three a.m. sounded like a reasonable request. Over the weekend Lucy had mentioned a craving for butter pecan ice cream. Not even Fortescue had such a concoction. Perhaps it was time for another plea to Mrs. O'Conner.

Curiosity overcame Severus and he slowly cracked opened the new hard- covered tome. His eyes scanned the index. "I'm at a loss...I don't know what to say."

"'Thank you' is generally the customary reply," Minerva said curtly, though her eyes smiled and the corner of her mouth twitched.

"Thank yo..."

Suddenly the door opened from the Headmaster's entrance and the three conspirators quickly found their respective seats.

"I apologise for my tardiness, but there was a crisis down in the laundry," Albus explained without elaboration. "Needless to say, dung bombs are now on Argus' list of contraband."


Severus stepped through his Floo and was greeted by music. Remus sat in the armchair, plucking his violin, bringing a soft, vaguely familiar pizzicato tune out of the instrument. Harry was laying belly down on the sofa, knees bent, legs crossed, and feet in the air. His chin would have been resting in his fists, but Harry was so enraptured by what Remus was doing, the boy's head bobbed up and down ever so slightly, keeping pace with Remus' dexterous fingers. Lucy's rabbit was curled up, sleeping next to Harry.

Severus remembered the book his was carrying and tucked it beneath is robes only just in time as Harry and Remus acknowledged his presence.

"Hi, Daddy," Harry greeted as sprang from the sofa. Thor jumped down hopped under the couch. Severus reached down and drew Harry to him as the boy looked up and explained, "Mr. Lupin was playing the "Tea Dance."

Severus eyebrows raised in unison. "Tchaikovsky?"

"Yes," Remus said matter-of-factly as he leaned over the side of the chair and carefully placed his grandfather's old instrument into its case. "The Philharmonic will be performing The Nutcracker at Christmas. I don't hope to get a position so quickly, but one never knows. With any luck, I will join in time for the Messiah rehearsals and the Easter performance," He smiled as he clicked the case shut and placed it on his lap.

Severus inclined his head, he was duly impressed.

Severus suddenly exclaimed in irritation, "What is it, Harry?" The little boy was insistently pulling on the leg of his trousers.

Harry was unfazed at Severus' outburst and asked hopefully, "Do I get to go to the Weasley's tonight?"

"Not if you keep pulling on my trousers like a teething Crup," Severus cautioned. He gently extracted himself from Harry's grip and looked down on his son. "Now go upstairs and shower, Harry. I will help you pack and we'll leave directly after supper."

Harry's face was beaming at the thought of seeing his little friends again. He began to run for the stairs but abruptly came to a halt when Severus called out, "Walk, Harry."

"Yes, sir," Harry said respectfully. He grabbed hold of the banister at ascended the stairs at a pace more acceptable to Severus, though he could hear the boy's pace pick up at the top of the landing.

Severus removed his teaching cloak and placed his book face down on an end table. He then turned towards the coat tree in the corner. As he passed the arch that led to the kitchen, he could see Lucy's back. She held a large mixing blow, humming the 'Tea Dance' as she happily mixed. Severus inwardly smiled but inquired about a different subject as he hung his cloak on the tree. "Any news concerning Black?"

"Yes. He has contacted his family barrister," Remus said indifferently. He was standing behind Severus, his hand resting on the violin case tucked under his opposite arm. "He has said nothing of his intentions towards Harry and I don't like it. Have you decided what you're going to tell him?"

Severus gave a heavy sigh and put his fingers to his temple. He did not want to think about what he would tell Harry, but he had to tell the child something.

"In all honesty...no. But I suppose I should say something soon," he conceded as he turned to escort Remus to the Floo.

"The sooner the better, Severus," Remus advised. "You don't want Harry hearing about this from anyone else but yourself," he pointed his finger to Severus' chest.

A horrible thought struck Severus. Molly and Arthur were aware of the situation with Black. Did the children know anything? Though Severus doubted either Molly or Arthur would say a word to the children about Sirius Black, Severus did not doubt that the walls of the Burrow had ears-seven pairs of them. "I think, perhaps, there is no time like the present."

Severus took the box of Floo powder from the mantle and offered it to Remus.

"I want to thank you for understanding, Severus," Remus said as he took a handful of Floo powder. "I hate to leave you like this, but this chance means everything to me."

Severus inclined his head as he struggled with the need to express his gratitude to his former enemy. He said, a little more harshly than he intended, "It is I, who should be thanking you...Remus-for everything."


Lucy felt stronger than she had in many days and the care package her mama had sent her went far to improve her spirits. So much so, she decided to prepare dinner that evening.

Lucy had her hair in double braids and was sporting yet another jumper she had 'borrowed' from Severus. She was proud of herself. Not only had Lucy finished her backlog of grading, she even managed to work on the manuscript writing.

But Lucy still couldn't help but to feel a little ill at ease. Yes, she could not stand Kenneth Musgrave, and even went as far as to order that voodoo doll from Michelle, but she didn't want Kenneth to kill himself.

If it had only been Lucy, after Kenneth tried to slip her the Amortentia, she would have simply told him to go do something anatomically impossible to himself and washed her hands of the bastard. But he knowingly tried to kill the baby. Lucy could never forgive that trespass for as long as she lived. She honestly did not want him dead; she just wanted to know that justice was served on her baby's behalf.

Lucy supposed she was the cause of Kenneth's angst and she felt guilty. Oh...she didn't feel guilty about being the cause of Kenneth's angst, she felt guilty because she didn't feel guilty about being the cause of Kenneth's angst. As far as Lucy was concerned, Kenneth brought about his own troubles. But part of her wondered if she was too hard on Kenneth and the other part said "No" and "Hell, no!"

Lucy bent down and reached for a cast iron skillet from Severus' lower cupboard; when she felt a familiar arm wrap around her waist and saw Severus' long, calloused fingers enclose around her hands and the handle of the skillet.

"Allow me," he whispered in her ear and placed the heavy skillet on the counter. The dark, velvet voice gave her goose flesh down her back and brought a knowing smile to her face. Lucy turned around with her back to the counter. Severus was fingering one of her braids. He did not say anything to her. He simply gave her one of his broad smiles that he had reserved only for her, then leaned over and gave her a gentle kiss.

"It smells wonderful," he finally said as he looked over to see what was in the stock pot on the stove. "What is it?"

"Oh...," Lucy exclaimed as she hurriedly rushed to the pot and turned down the fire. "Vegetable beef soup. Mama's recipe. It's cold outside and I thought it would be a good night for it," she elaborated. Lucy then pointed to the mixing bowl. "And that is going to be corn bread."

Severus came up behind her again. He wrapped both arms around waist this time and rested both hands on her belly, gently rubbing his hands over the life growing within. Lucy leaned back into Severus, thinking she could happily become lost in the sheer manliness of him. She had become so lost in the moment she hadn't caught what Severus had said.

"Oh...I'm sorry. What did you say?" She reluctantly left his embrace. The corn bread batter had risen and she needed to pour it into the skillet.

"I was asking how long until supper?" he said a bit sombrely as he walked over and leaned his back against the counter. "If there is time, I would like to discuss Black with Harry before we eat."

Severus craned his neck as Lucy poured the course yellow batter into the pan. Lucy lifted her eyes and gave him a cheeky grin. "Trust me...if I tell you what's in it, your arteries will harden from the ungodly knowledge."

Severus guffawed at the remark, and then Lucy answered his question. "It's another thirty minutes until dinner. Will that be enough time?"

He gave her a peck on the cheek and said, "Plenty," and placed the heavy batter laden skillet in the oven.

If it had been anyone else, they may not have noticed the ever-so-slight quiver in Severus' voice. It did not, however, escape Lucy. She asked as he closed the oven door, "Severus? Will you be alright?"

"I will be," It was a terse answer, but Lucy knew he was telling the truth. She was well aware that Severus would rather wrestle an Acromantula with his bare hands than tell Harry about his other godfather. But she was proud at the way Severus faced his fears head on. It was not in him to evade his responsibility, no matter how distasteful he found the task.

"Severus? Would you like...?"

"I will be fine, my dear," Severus said solemnly and kissed her again. "I love you."

Lucy stood awestruck. A smile slowly grew across her face as Severus words set in. She had known for quite some time that Severus loved her, but this was the first time he had declared it. What had prompted it? It had never occurred to her that hearing those three little words would feel so good.


By the time Severus entered Harry's room, the child was already half dressed. He managed to put on his trousers but they were not, as of yet, snapped. At the moment, Harry was fighting to get into his jumper. His arms were akimbo over his head, his damp, jet back hair poking through the hole in the top.

"Is there a little boy hiding in there?" Severus had to smile at the boy's struggle. There was an incoherent mumble coming from somewhere beneath the fabric. Severus had already made his way over to help the struggling child. Once he reached Harry, he released the child from his battle with the garment with one swift pull. "Ah...there you are, Harry."

"Whew," Harry exclaimed in relief. "Thank you, Daddy. I thought I'd never get out of there."

With a snap of his hand, Severus straightened the jumper, and then cast a drying charm. "If you would do as I tell you and completely dry yourself before you dress, you would not find yourself in these predicaments, Harry."

Harry raised his arms in the air and Severus slipped the jumper over the boy's head. "But jumpers are hard...," Harry mumbled as the jumper slid over his head, "to do by yourself," he finished as he straightened the waistband.

"You will find dressing yourself easier as you get older," Severus sat on the edge of Harry's bed and patted the mattress for Harry to join him. "In the meantime, there is no shame in asking for help when you need it."

Harry climbed up next to Severus, "Is something wrong, Daddy?" Harry's brow furrowed as he looked at Severus.

"No there is nothing wrong, Harry. I simply have some important things I need to tell you," Severus said gently.

Harry did not say anything, but simply gazed at Severus expectantly with Lily's vivid emerald eyes beneath heavy black lashes.

Severus took a deep breath. He did not know any other way to start than to just dive in. Severus only hoped he would not drown. "Harry, do you recall me telling you about Sirius Black?"

Harry's eyes widened slightly and he unconsciously put a hand on his bum. "I promise. I haven't gone near any stray animals."

"You're not in trouble, Harry," Severus assured as he pulled the boy close. "But, do you recall what I told you he had done?"

Harry nodded his head in all severity, yet he seemed to remain unafraid. "He killed all those Muggles."

Severus coughed nervously. "It seems that the Ministry was mistaken. Sirius Black did not kill those Muggles. It was another man. A man named, Peter Pettigrew."

Harry sat there for a moment. The look on the child's face was intense as he processed this new information. "You mean, he went to prison for something he didn't do?"

"I'm afraid so."

Harry's face soured as he exclaimed, "That's awful!"

"It most certainly is," Severus nodded in sombre agreement. "But I'm afraid there is more, Harry."

Severus could see a mask of confusion on Harry, but the child still remained silent and hung on Severus' every word. Severus felt as if his chest were about to cave in on his heart with what he had to say next. "Harry...Sirius Black was... a very close friend of your father's."

"He was?' Harry said with a slight bit of excitement, but then he elaborated soberly, "My daddy would have been very sad that his friend was in prison for something he didn't do."

"Yes. He would have been," Severus shook his head ever so slightly, trying to clear his thoughts. He could not seem to form the words.

Harry's expression turned to concern and he placed his small hand into Severus'. Severus was awed that the entire of Harry's hand was smaller than half his palm. "Daddy...is something wrong?"

"No, Harry," Severus said through a watery smile. "But you should know that Sirius Black was your father's best friend… and was also named your godfather."

For the first time in the entire conversation, Harry looked scared and his next question tore Severus' heart out. Harry trembled as he asked, "You're not going to let him take me away, are you?"

"Oh Harry!" Severus gathered his son into his arms and held him tight. "I will never let anyone take you from me," he pressed his cheek atop Harry's head and gently stroked his dark hair. "You are my boy, and we will always be a family," Severus pulled Harry away from him and positioned himself so he was looking the child directly in the eyes. "You do understand me? Don't you Harry?"

Seeing the first sign of a snotty nose on the boy, Severus took a handkerchief from the breast pocket of his frockcoat and handed it to Harry.

Harry blew loudly into the cloth, and then wiped his reddening nose. Harry nodded to Severus and sniffed. "You promise?"

"I promise," Severus said has he brushed an errant strand of hair from the front of Harry's glasses. His thumb inadvertently moved across Harry's scar, and Severus had to suppress a shudder. "Even If I have to take you where no one else can find us."

"But what about Miss Lucy?" Harry asked in near panic. "She's like family. We can't leave her behind."

"Harry...We are not runni..."

Then the thought hit Severus like a thunderbolt from Heaven. "Harry? Would you like me to ask Miss Lucy to be your new mummy?" He remembered Lucy's smile after he told her that he loved her. Severus did not know what had prompted him to say it, only that it seemed natural. Having her for his wife also seemed natural. It was time for him to ask.

Harry's lit up like sunshine. "Yes!" he shouted without hesitation and threw himself into Severus' embrace. "Please. That means when the baby is born, I'll have a little sister. We'll be a real family."

Severus extracted Harry from his waist and sat his son on his lap. "We are a real family," Severus reminded him. "And just remember, this all depends upon if Miss Lucy is agreeable to be my wife."

"Oh, she'll agree," Harry nodded his head with the certainty of youth. "She likes you a lot."

Severus chuckled. "Be that as it may, we must not make assumptions, Harry. I have yet to ask her."

Harry hopped down from Severus' lap and pulled at Severus' arm. "Well let's go ask her."

"Harry, I can't just barge into the kitchen and ask her to marry me!" Severus tried to explain.

Harry huffed and planted his hands on his hips as he asked sternly, "Why not?"

"Because these things take planning. I don't even have a ring."

"You don't need a ring to ask a question. And you can give her one for Christmas," Harry attempted to reason with Severus.

"Why don't I ask her at Christmas?" Severus countered.

Harry looked like he couldn't believe Severus couldn't see the obvious. "Because it may be too late. What if she gets away?"

Severus shook his head, attempting to close the subject. "No, Harry. It is just not done that way."

Uh oh. Severus did not like that little furrowed brow. It was much like Severus' own, when he had made up his mind about..., "Harry! Where do you think you're going?"

It was too late. Those little legs had already made it halfway down the stairs. Severus' heart stopped when Harry called out, "Miss Lucy? Will you marry Daddy?"

*CRASH*

The shattering sound of terra cotta hitting linoleum echoed throughout the house.

The End.
Happier Than Any Fairy Tale, Sweeter Than Any Dream by missyanne
Author's Notes:
Warning: This chapter contains adult situations and brief moderate to slighty explicit sexual imagery.

This cannot be good.

Severus rushed down the stairs. Harry was still glued to the stair halfway down. He too had been startled by the crash where Lucy had dropped the dinnerware.

"Harry!" Severus whispered sternly. "Back upstairs-Now!" He put his hand on the boy's shoulder and turned him to go back up the steps.

"But, Dadd…"

"Now, Harry." Harry dragged his feet and looked back at Severus insolently, but he complied nonetheless.

Severus could see Lucy in the kitchen, standing in in profile to him and seemingly staring into oblivion. She gave no indication of what she could be thinking, or that she was even aware of his presence.

Harry had let the Kneazle out of the bag, and Severus did not intend to back out now. After all, he intended to propose, he had only hoped for a scenario a bit more romantic than a six-year old child screaming out his intentions like a banshee on a bender. But that was the thing about life. It often conflicted with one's best laid plans.

It was times like this, when old habits wanted to rear their ugly heads. It took every bit of Severus' formable courage to keep from running away. If he were to ever to see a boggart, it would take the form of those he dared to love rejecting him. In Severus' past experience, love was to be feared above all else. It took a small child to prove those notions bogus.

Until five minutes ago, Severus was absolutely certain that Lucy would agree to marry him if he asked. Now, seeing Lucy standing frozen in his kitchen, doubt began to creep in.

What if she said no? They have only known each other…what? Five…six…months? To Severus, it seemed like a lifetime and he could not imagine the rest of his life without Lucy. For the second time that day, he reached deep within to find the courage to say something.

"Lucy?"

Lucy blinked and turned towards the tentative call of her name. "Severus," she shook her head slightly, as if she were recovering from a Stupefy.

Severus hesitantly moved towards the kitchen but stopped halfway when his feet seemed to have lost the capability to move. He said timidly, "Lucy, I want to apologise for Harry's outburst. It was not my intention to..."

"No," Lucy quickly interrupted. "That's quite alright. I understand," she added as took out her wand and spelled the broken dishes whole once again. "Children sometimes have wild notions."

What was that her heard voice...disappointment? She had turned her back to him and laid the dishes on the counter. Severus saw her hand move towards her face in a gesture of wiping something away. He heard her sniff away a tear.

Sensing what could be his last opportunity, Severus decided to risk it all. "No. Please...Lucy. You do not understand." Lucy still had her back to him and her head hung low. "It was not my intention...I had hoped to at least have a ring before I..."

Lucy turned to face him. Her hands were still grabbing onto the counter for support, her chest was heaving as if she were trying to grasp for air and her blue eyes were watery. "Before you what?"

Severus slowly entered the kitchen, stopped and stood before Lucy. He was transfixed by those watery turquoise eyes. He shyly took her left hand and bent down on one knee.

"Lucy," he hesitated for a moment to still his shaking voice. "You are the love of my life. And neither my life nor my family would be complete without you by my side." Severus paused for a moment, wondering to himself if this was all real. The words finally rushed from his lips, refusing to be contained any longer. "Would you give me the eternal joy of being my wife?"

Time stopped for Severus and so did his breathing. It seemed like an eternity as he anxiously awaited her answer. In reality, she had reacted instantaneously.

Lucy clasped her right hand over her mouth. Unashamed, she allowed the tears to run down her face as she nodded. "Yes, Severus! Oh, Yes!"

Severus arose as quickly as his knees would allow and embraced Lucy. He took a second once again to look into her eyes before he became lost in her kiss.

***7:29 p.m. ***

Lucy sat alone at Spinner's End in the Queen Anne wingback before the fire. She was anxiously awaiting Severus' return from the Weasley's wondering how he and Harry would break the news. She would have liked to accompany them, but it would still be another couple of days before she would be strong enough for magical travel. She berated herself for trying something as stupid as producing two Patronuses when she had perhaps eight hours sleep in three days. What had she been thinking? Oh, yes...Black.

She snapped the book shut that she had been trying to read, sighed and leaned back into the chair. She just couldn't concentrate on ancient Alba right now.

Lucy hugged herself as she thought back on the proposal. Severus' proposal had come out of nowhere. When Harry had ran downstairs bellowing out a marriage proposal so loud that God's own mama could hear it, she had become elated and then dejected inside of a single breath. She had nearly gone into shock.

Lucy honestly hadn't expected a proposal from Severus so soon. Obviously, he had been talking the possibility over with Harry, but who brought up the topic...Severus or Harry? After all, Severus had only just declared his love for her. Did Harry over hear the conversation and then come to his own conclusions? She did not want Severus to feel committed to following through with Harry' proposal simply out of a sense of honour. But when Lucy saw the emotion that welled in Severus' dark eyes, she knew his proposal was genuine and she immediately followed her heart and said 'yes'.

She chuckled a bit as she thought of the mess she must have looked like. Her hair in pig tails, she had been cooking over a hot stove, she wore Severus' old sweater with the sleeves rolled up to her elbows, and she had been crying—and a terrified, but Severus on bended knee on the kitchen floor was the most romantic image she had ever seen in her life.

Sitting alone while Severus was with Harry at the Weasley's, Lucy also had time to reflect on how different it had been from Kenneth's proposal less than a year earlier. She had been overwhelmed then too, but for a different reason. Yes, Lucy had loved Kenneth then, but had he not proposed in front of half of the British Ministry and American Department of Magical Affairs, she was not sure she would have accepted so quickly.

Kenneth had proposed at the consulate Christmas ball, the same one in which she had been introduced to Lucius and Narcissa Malfoy. At the time, it had seemed as an attempt to be romantic on Kenneth's behalf. He had looked rather dashing in his black tuxedo and white bow tie. Lucy could have been mistaken for a member of the Muggle royal family in her off the shoulder, silver empire cut gown with an overlay of faux pearls and rhinestones and a diamond tiara in her honey blond hair. They really did look like a fairy tale couple.

In fact, he had stopped dancing in with her right in the middle of the "Sleeping Beauty Waltz" and slipped the overly large marquise-cut diamond on her finger before he even asked her to marry him. Kenneth had not knelt down as Severus had done. Rather, he towered over Lucy, staring at her with his ice blue eyes. Every soul in the ballroom stopped and awaited her answer with baited breath.

Though Lucy may have looked the part, she had not felt like a fairy tale princess. She had felt the pressure to answer his proposal affirmatively when she was not sure if she was ready, but she thought it would only be a matter of time before she was, so why put off the inevitable? And to say 'no' at the time would have caused a scandal that she did not want either of them to face.

How could any woman say 'I need time to think' when a marriage proposal is given in front of nearly four hundred witches and wizards? It was as awkward as those Muggle proposals at baseball and football games-the ones plastered all over the scoreboards in front of tens of thousands of people. Yes, the gesture seems romantic at first glance, but what girl can say 'I need time to think', when all of those eyes are focused on you and eagerly awaiting a happily ever after.

As ashamed as Lucy was to admit it now, she had not regretted her answer until this past summer. Kenneth had been attentive, intelligent, and witty...and she had loved him. It wasn't until he had whisked her away to England and away from her family that he began to show his true colours. Lucy's fairy tale had quickly turned into a cautionary tale.

Kenneth had cloistered her away, like a prized Snidgit and he only brought her out to show her off. She vividly remembered their first argument, two weeks after they moved to the house near Sheffield. When they first arrived in England, Kenneth had kept her busy. He took her with him almost everywhere. They explored the nearby village of Wortley together and he had given her a tour of London. Admittedly, it had been among her happiest memories with Kenneth. But on a day he needed to speak to the American Ambassador in London about his upcoming trip back to the States, Lucy had felt rather lonely and decided to visit with Pawpaw. She intended to be home before Kenneth arrived and left a message on the mantle telling him where she would be in case he came home early.

She came home a full two hours before Kenneth was scheduled to be there. Pawpaw had invited them to supper and she was going to fire-call Kenneth's secretary to ask if he would be agreeable to going. Instead, sitting on the davenport was an image that chilled her after she stepped through the fire. Kenneth's face was crimson with rage. Kenneth told her he had come home looking for her after she had not answered his fire-call. Lucy pointed out the note she left, but he said he there was no answer at the Hog's Head when he called. Lucy explained that she and Pawpaw were out with the goats, she asked why he didn't just step through.

In retrospect, Kenneth's answer should have been her first clue that something was seriously wrong. It was the first time that Lucy had ever been afraid of a man. He gave her a cold gaze. He grabbed her forearm and jerked her close to him. She remembered his teeth gritting as he said, "I have no idea who you were with or what you were doing. Never, be anywhere where I cannot immediately find you."

Lucy had convinced herself that he hadn't thrown her into the davenport when he let her go, but instead, she simply fell. She also rationalised that Kenneth had merely been sick with worry that something awful could have happened to her, that was why he insisted on knowing where she was and what she was doing at all times.

The next six months in England had been very lonely. Kenneth was away more than he was home and called her at all hours of the day and night. Some nights she barely had much sleep for all of his incessant fire-calling. One day, as Lucy was getting ready to head out to the market in Wortley, there was a knock at the back door. Lucy was surprised to find the young witch who worked at the market for her parents at the front door. Kenneth was paying to have groceries delivered to the house so Lucy would not have to 'inconvenience' herself by having to go shopping.

Pawpaw and Uncle Albus had visited when they could, but the visits were few and far between. After a while, Lucy could no longer stand the isolation. When she had finally had enough, she chose to act first and ask forgiveness later when she accepted the post Uncle Albus offered.

Kenneth never forgave her. Instead her chose to distrust her. He did not realise or care that she was withering away inside. Kenneth wanted her for himself and it did not matter to him who he hurt to keep Lucy only for him...even if it meant hurting Lucy herself. Instead of keeping Lucy, he had only managed to drive her away.

The Floo roared to life, Lucy quickly opened her eyes and sighed in relief, she would not have to relive the old fights now. She put her book down on the table and smiled as her future husband stepped gracefully out of the Floo.

Severus' normally austere countenance morphed into a broad smile as he set his eyes on Lucy. She was practically giddy as she rushed over to Severus. Lucy threw her arms around his neck fervently accepted his eager kisses. There were no words exchanged between them. Mere words could not express what she felt at that moment. She loved Severus for many reasons, not the least of which was how much he loved her for who and what she was, not for who and what he thought she should be. In Severus' arms, she had long forgotten what her life had been and could have been. Right now, she was thankful to the Maker for what her life was and the promise of what it would be.

Lucy pulled away from Severus. She laughed when she saw the slight confusion on his face. She grabbed Severus' hands and walked backwards towards the staircase, dragging him along. He caught on to her not so subtle hint and followed. When she reached the stairs, she held onto the railing with one hand and held her belly with the other and began to run up the stairs. Lucy stopped halfway up. She turned around and looked down at Severus. He was still at the bottom of the flight. Lucy beckoned him with a crooked finger. He gave her a randy grin just before he bounded up the stairs after her.

Lucy tried to outrun him, but she didn't make it to the top of the landing before Severus caught her. His large hands cradled her buttocks as he easily lifted her off the floor. Lucy wrapped her arms around his neck and her legs around his waist. She was lavishing his neck with kisses as he carried her down the hall. He paused only long enough to kick open the bedroom door.

Lucy found a man who encouraged her and appreciated her mind. Severus did not intend to make her his 'little woman.' Here was a man who was brilliant, romantic, and caring, he loved her for whom and what she was and did not hold the sins of her past against her. Snow White and Sleeping Beauty could keep their respective Prince Charmings. Lucy had the only man she needed. She had Severus.

***9:38 p.m.***

Severus and Lucy were lying in bed, in front of the fireplace. Since they had the entire house to themselves, Severus had decided in his romantic fervour, to bring the bed into the sitting room and in front of the fireplace. He promised Lucy when he remodelled the house, he would see to it that they had a fireplace in the bedroom.

Severus was sitting up, his back leaning against a pile as pillows. Lucy had her head on his shoulders and her tiny hands resting on his bare chest. There was a third body in bed with them as Thor had hopped up on the bed and was acting as a fuzzy foot warmer between Severus' and Lucy's feet. Lucy told Severus not to worry. The bunny would move on if it felt it had been kicked about too much.

Once again, Lucy was clad in his pyjama top. Severus rested his own head atop Lucy's. He breathed deeply, basking in the scent of her freshly washed hair. Severus noticed a change in Lucy's breathing pattern as she gave a heavy, satisfied sigh, indicating that she was beginning to fall asleep even as she was still in the midst of her afterglow. Although he supposed he should be falling asleep as well, he could not. His mind was still reeling.

He was wondering if he were actually in the middle of a very lovely dream. Surely, life couldn't be this good...could it? Severus closed his eyes. As his hand rubbed against her cotton-clad arm, he could still recall how silky her bare flesh felt beneath his. He could still envision her beautiful naked body, her belly swollen with burgeoning new life. The taste of her sweet, hard nipples on still lingered on his tongue, as did the feel of her soft breasts on his lips as the warm water cascaded over them in the shower. He could still feel himself inside her, her body reacting to his increasingly passionate thrusts. The echo of her cries of ecstasy still resonated in his brain. He touched his ear. His earlobe still had a slight sting where she had nibbled it whilst breathily panting his name. It had been no dream. His dreams had never been so sweet.

It was getting late. Nearly two hours of making love had taken its toll, especially on Lucy. They had decided to go downstairs and talk of some serious plans.

Musgrave would be out of prison in a mere eighteen months, if the man did not kill himself first. He needed to know that Lucy was getting on with her life. She and Severus had decided together that although she should to tell Musgrave of the engagement at some point, telling him now was probably not the best course of action, considering the man's emotional volatility. Severus couldn't help but scoff at the irony. He doubted Musgrave would be so compassionate.

They had also decided to adopt each other's children. This was a decision they had come to not only because of their own emotional attachments, but mostly for the sake of Harry and Felicity. If something happened to Severus or Lucy, the remaining family would not be broken up.

Severus put his hand over the baby resting inside Lucy and smiled to himself. Together, they had decided on the child's name only a half-hour ago. Felicity Imogene Snape. Felicity was the middle name of Aberforth's daughter, Mary. Imogene was the name of Severus' Nana Snape, the only stable adult figure he had in his early childhood.

When Musgrave confessed to attempting to kill his unborn child, he had forfeited all legal parental rights. This left Severus free to become the child's father without having to seek out Musgrave's permission. As far as Severus was concerned, the child was now his. The child was a part of the woman he loved, just as Harry was a part of Lily. He would never hold his children's paternity against them.

Unfortunately, Black might prove to be problematic. The former Marauder was having a hard enough time accepting the fact that Severus' blood ties to Lily trumped Potter's wish that Black be the one to raise Harry. If Severus thought that Harry would be better off or happier with Black, Severus would reluctantly cede custody.

However, it would be cruel to tear Harry away from the only place he had ever called home. Severus thought that perhaps somewhere up in the heavens, even James Potter had to admit that Severus was doing a good job at raising Harry. Right now Severus and Lucy were Harry's best hope of a whole, stable, and loving family. Severus and Lucy both loved the child too much to deny him that. They would not turn Harry against Black, nor deny Black the opportunity to be an integral part in his godson's life, but they would never give up Harry. Severus had already made plans to visit Black at Grimmauld Place this coming weekend to discuss Harry.

Harry.

Harry was so excited about the upcoming marriage; he bounded up the stairs of the Burrow, screaming to the top of his lungs, "Hey Guys! It worked!"

Severus scoffed. He wasn't exactly sure what "It" was, but was fairly certain that he would have never had the daring to act upon his attraction to Lucy without Harry's encouragement. Even without Harry, Severus would have fallen in love with Lucy, only he would have been too afraid of rejection to pursue her. He shuddered when he thought about the pathetic and lonely existence he was destined for before Harry had entered his life.

Severus had dreamed of Lily every night when he was young. He imagined them living in a far off countryside home, he a famous Potion's Master and Healer, she his loving wife raising their growing family. He couldn't understand why she ever wanted to do something as silly as becoming an Auror.

A horrific epiphany hit Severus. Just as Musgrave tried to coerce Lucy into being his idea of a perfect wife and mother, Severus had started down that same path with Lily.

Severus was suddenly reminded of something Lily had told him a very long time ago. At the time, Severus thought she was daft.

I think, if there is anything in the world that is worth the risk of breaking your heart over again and again...it's true love. When you finally find true love, it's worth all of the past pain.

What was she trying to tell him? Did she know his feelings for her and that she did not return them? Was she trying to tell Severus she wasn't who he hoped she was?

As much as Severus loved Lily then, he didn't think anything was worth suffering pain and humiliation. He thought his own feelings had been justified when his dreams of a life with Lily faded away when she tossed aside years of friendship for his a mistake, and with what he thought was the final blow to his heart, Lily chose James Potter, a bully, over her once best friend. Severus had truly felt unlovable and alone. If Lily Evans, the one person who knew Severus better than anyone else in the world, thought a bullying toe-rag like James Potter was a better man than he, then how could anyone find him worthy of love? In Severus' downward emotional spiral had plunged him into a living nightmare, when in his need to find acceptance, he became easy prey for the Dark Lord.

Severus found out something from Lucy today. Old Slughorn had tried to retire for the first time in the early seventies. Lucy's father had been offered the Potion's Master position, but he turned it down because of Allen. Squibs are not the outcasts of wizarding society in the United States as they are in Europe. Dr. O'Conner knew that his son would be afforded more opportunities in the States, so he turned down the post, and Slughorn waited another ten years before he retired.

How different would his life have been if he met Lucy when they were still in school? Would Severus have still obsessed over Lily, never giving Lucy the time of day? Or would Lucy have eventually caught his eye and prevented him from going down his Dark path? Severus was inclined to think the latter.

Severus suffered greatly during those years, but Lily had been proven right. The pain of the past had melted away. Severus found love with a woman he had no desire to change. He couldn't imagine Lucy being anything other than she already was and he would do anything to support her in her own dreams. Here was an intelligent, beautiful, and kind woman who loved him for who he was and despite what he had been. Other's can waist away their lives wallowing in the sorrow of dreams that might have been. Severus had the only woman he needed. He had Lucy

***10:17p.m.***

Severus had laid Lucy's head down on her pillow. He loved the closeness of her cuddling, but she had finally drifted off, and let's face it...the woman drooled in her sleep. He told himself that he was saving Lucy the embarrassment of finding she had left a pool of slobber on his shoulder, not that the found the thought of it disgusting. He also wiggled his feet against the fur-ball at the foot of the bed. Thor took the hint and hopped down to the floor, disappearing somewhere under the bed.

Still unable to sleep, Severus picked up the tome his colleagues had given him that afternoon. Flipping through the index, he found a couple of topics that piqued his interest.

Keeping his fingers between the pages to mark his spot, Severus closed the cover of the book and examined it closely. Making up his mind that he did not wish to field any uncomfortable questions, Severus took his wand and transfigured the book to resemble a potions journal.

He had only been reading for fifteen minutes before he had the distinct feeling he was being watched. Severus peered over the top of his 'journal' to see Lucy starring at him. She was still clutching her pillow. She had not been asleep long enough to drool on it.

Lucy asked with an almost childlike curiosity, "Whatcha readin'?"

Severus cleared his throat almost too quickly. "Hem...an old article about Oblivious Unction. Nothing of any real interest." Severus put a marker in his place and laid the 'journal' on the side table as nonchalantly as he could. "I apologise if I awoke you."

Lucy sat up and turned to fluff her pillow and put it behind her back. "Not at all," apparently Lucy's catnap had given her renewed vigour. She sat up next to Severus, with her hands primly held in her lap. Lucy almost looked like the picture of innocence...almost. She cut her eyes at Severus even as she was unsuccessful in keeping the grin off her face. "I don't believe you."

Before he realised what happened, Lucy leapt out from the covers and straddled Severus her hands pressed against his shoulders. "What makes you think I'm lying?" Severus kept his gaze on Lucy, resisting the urge to look at the book and thus give her more reason to believe he had something to hide.

Unfortunately, Severus had just been out-Slytherined. She distracted him by adjusting her position on his lap with a curious little grind of her hips and his body began to respond. Without taking her eyes off Severus, Lucy quickly reached over and snatched the 'journal' from the side table.

Severus tried to snatch it back, but Lucy was too fast and hid it behind her back and out of his reach.

"This 'journal', Professor Snape," Lucy began haughtily, knowing it drove him wild whenever she called him "Professor Snape." She made the term sound so naughty, and Severus loved it. She ran a finger down the spine of the book, sensually stroking the gold leaf letters as she noted,"...is too thick to be a periodical. And I noticed as you folded the pages back, which I know you would never do with one of your precious Potions books, and I do believe, that the font is too large and pedestrian to be an academic tome. You have transfigured a book."

Severus leaned his head back and covered his face with his hands. He chuckled to himself because he couldn't believe he was just caught red handed.

"Let's see what Professor Snape has to hide," Lucy playfully goaded. Still keeping herself rather provocative position astride Severus, she turned to keep the book out of his reach as she read. Her messy hair fell in long ringlets down her back, slightly brushing Severus' thigh. Even through the fabric of his pyjama bottoms, he could feel it. He knew Lucy must feel his growing erection between her legs, he could definitely feel the heat from in between hers, but she was doing a better job of keeping her libido under control than Severus was.

Of course, the damnable minx would read from the page Severus had marked for further reading.

"My, my, my...," she said tapping a finger against her lip. "doesn't this look interesting... 'perineum massage'." Lucy gave Severus a sly look then turned the page. "Oh and get this: 'Producing multiple orgasms in the expectant mother is physically and mentally beneficial to both mother and baby.'" Lucy shut the pages and clutched the 'journal' to her chest. She leaned over to Severus. "Professor Snape, I like this book."

Severus had enough. "Let's test these theories, shall we, Dr. O'Conner?" He finally snatched the 'journal' from Lucy and tossed it over his shoulder. He heard it 'flop' somewhere on the floor behind him.

"I like how you think, Professor Snape."

Lucy giggled as Severus started kissing her neck. He wrapped his arms around her and laid her down. It did not take long before Severus proved to Lucy what a fast learner he was

The End.
Sticks and Stones May Break My Bones But Words Are Far More Hurtful by missyanne

***15 November 1986***

It was the first snow of the season, much earlier than was usual, and Lucy was grateful Severus would be gone for the bulk of the afternoon. The house at Spinner's End was as raucous as it had ever been. How could it not be, with four high-strung little boys running about the place?

Molly had asked if Lucy could watch Ron and the twins. How could Lucy not agree after all Molly and Arthur had done for Severus? Lucy was now fully recovered from the Patronus fiasco; she saw no reason why she could not oblige. After all, she and Severus were already talking of the possibility having two more children. Lucy figured she could use the practice.

Apparently, young Percy had lost his familiar sometime Wednesday afternoon. In the course of scouring the gardens around the Burrow, Percy's literally stumbled upon a rather deep Gnome hole. Now, not only was Percy's rat gone, but he also had a torn Achilles' Tendon for his trouble.

Unfortunately, for the boy, torn ligaments were not as easily healed as broken bones.

Molly and Arthur needed to take Percy back to St. Mungo's for a follow up and their usual back-up babysitter; Molly's Aunt Muriel, wasn't available. They took little Ginny with them because Severus' home would be crowded enough with four rambunctious boys and it most certainly wasn't toddler-proofed.

Alf had accompanied Severus to Grimmauld Place. They were about to give Sirius Black the news that the adoption had gone through. Lucy was surprised late Thursday morning when Severus came running through the house shouting out her name...

"Lucy...Lucy!"

Lucy opened the door to the WC. She was still drying her hands. "Severus...I'm up here." Lucy heard Severus bound up the stairs, he was taking two or three at a time. She Vanished the towel out of her hands just as Severus came running towards her. He had a post in his hands. It looked like a Muggle post. Something of importance had happened. It wasn't even lunchtime at Hogwarts. She had never seen him like this. He looked...ecstatic.

"Severus? What's going on?"

Severus had been running so fast, he almost ran past her. He grabbed her shoulders and nearly spun her in place.

"He's mine, Lucy. Harry's mine!"

"What?" Lucy took the letter from Severus' shaking hand. It was official and from the Muggle courts. Mister Singh had been as good as his word; he managed to get Severus' case pushed through quickly.

"I go with Harry tomorrow and to sign the papers before the magistrate. I was hoping you and Arthur Weasley would sign as witnesses."

She looked up at Severus to see that his eyes were shining with unshed tears of joy. With the letter still in her hand she reached up and pulled Severus' flushed face to her and gave him a quick kiss. "Of course I'll sign! I'm so happy for you both, Severus," she said joyously.

Lucy then looked to the stairs, as if looking beyond to the Floo, "Severus, aren't you supposed to be in class?"

Severus put his arm around her waist and he led her down the stairs. "I dismissed my remaining morning lessons," Severus explained. "The special delivery owl flew into my classroom right in the middle of my third year Slytherins and Gryffindors. Not even I could get the dunderheads to pay attention after that."

"Ha!" Lucy tossed back her head and scoffed. "Did you even try?"

"No," Severus unashamedly admitted. "But I had to tell you."

They were now standing before the Floo. Severus turned and took both of Lucy's hands in his. He looked at the Floo and then at Lucy. "Do you think you can travel?"

"I think so," Lucy answered. "You want to tell Harry," it wasn't a question.

Severus smiled as he turned and pointed his wand towards the bedroom upstairs and summoned Lucy's cloak. Lucy knew him so well. She could see in his eyes that she was right.

Lucy turned so Severus could put her cloak over her shoulders then turned back to face Severus, "Come on, Daddy. Let's go tell your son the good news."

Harry was now officially Severus' son. The Ministry could not touch Harry, Sirius Black could not touch Harry, and for that matter neither could Uncle Albus. Harry now had a father that would make certain the boy would have a normal life. Whoever Severus' lawyer solicitor was, he was good. The news of the adoption had yet to make it to the media. It would only be a matter of time though. Even the rankest amateur journalist from the Prophet scoured the Muggle newspapers for sensational stories. Severus had decided and Lucy had concurred that tomorrow, Severus and Uncle Albus would place a series of even stronger wards around the house to ensure any journalists or curious onlookers would not find the home.

Harry was being the happy and normal boy he was by entertaining his friends in his home. The boys had just finished lunch. She bundled the children appropriately for the weather and allowed them an hour to go outside to play in the snow and burn off some of their seemingly relentless engery. It was just cold enough for snow to stick to the ground, but and it was falling steadily and so there was plenty of snow to make a decent snowman.

The children had only been outside for about ten minutes. She would check on them as soon as she was finished setting up their indoor fun for the afternoon. Severus had told her that Fred and George were particularly fond of Potions and a simple potion experiment might prove to be an effective diversion for Molly's two most mischievous children. She was in the kitchen, preparing the ingredients for a little potion experiment that would enable the children to make random animal noises. The twins were a bit put out that Severus would not be personally teaching them the potion, but Lucy promised he would be home before the potion wore off. They would have the opportunity to show off to the Professor then.

The way those two boys practically hero worshiped Severus, Lucy wouldn't be surprised at all to find the twins in Slytherin House come two years time. If those two did end up in the House of the Snake, Severus was going to have his hands full.

From what Severus had told her, there was a low probability that a Weasley would end up anywhere but Gryffindor. The family legacy was too strong and even if they did overcome generations of Gryffindor genetics, the Prewitts and Weasleys were considered 'Blood Traitors.' There would, no doubt be major battles in and out of the school if the status quo was not maintained.

Not that Lucy believed that legacy hog wash, or that Slytherin House was a bastion for the pure-blooded. From what Lucy had read thus far in the Slytherin manuscript, there was very little mention of blood purity. That fact added with the current Head of House being Half-Blood, just reinforced her doubt. If Slytherin was the pure blood fanatic that legend had made him out to be, he would not have allowed his House to be 'polluted' with Muggle blood. Reality did not coincide with the myth.

It was likely that Harry would enter the Snake Den two years later. Ronald would join Harry that year. Lucy had Ronald pegged for Gryffindor or Hufflepuff, Ginny would no doubt be a Lion. Percy was the real mystery to Lucy. He had the Gryffindor legacy behind him, but the boy had brains enough for Ravenclaw and ambition enough for Slytherin. Only time would tell.

Lucy was torn out of her musings when the sound of happy laughter that had been drifting in from the outside ceased. She dropped the empty phial she was cleaning and her blood froze.

That's a child screaming!

"Harry!"

She rushed from the kitchen just as Ron frantically ran through the back door. "Miss Lucy! Fred killed Harry!"

The only consolation Lucy had was she knew that was not true. She could still hear Harry's painful wails and as the twins were crouched down next to the smaller boy, trying to calm him. As she approached, one of the twins, probably Fred was apologising, "I'm sorry, Harry. I didn't know."

Lucy ran out into the snow-covered garden. Harry was curled into a ball, grasping his face and sobbing uncontrollably.

Dear God, is that blood?

Lucy held her belly to maintain her balance as she knelt down next to Harry. She could see the blood oozing from between his fingers where he was protectively covering his right eye; the once pure snow was stained with an alarming amount of crimson droplets.

To the credit of the Weasley boys, they stepped back to give Lucy space to minister to Harry. Fred's face was as white as the falling snow at what he had done. George was trying to console his other half. Ron was standing between them, watching, his little face etched with a mixture of horror and morbidly gleeful curiosity.

Keeping her main focus on her distressed child, Lucy gently tried to remove Harry's blood soaked hands from his face. She was too worried about Harry to think what Severus would say when he came home.

Lucy was panicking inside. She wanted nothing more than to wave her wand and make it all go away, but not even magic was that simple. She needed to calm herself, or she would never be any good to Harry. She thought back to when she was a little girl and all of the hurts her mama had made right. What would Mama say and do when Lucy or her brothers or sister were hurt or in pain?

"Harry," Lucy managed to say with only a slight shake of her voice, despite the fact her heart was dying inside. By the sound of Harry's wails, he was obviously in a lot of pain. "Move your hands, baby. Mama needs to see."

Harry's vocal cries seemed to cease immediately, but his little body was still twitching with pent up sobs. He let Lucy move his hands. Lucy audibly gasped when she saw the bloody mess beneath. She wanted to scream in horror. Harry's sweet little face was covered in blood. But she just kept reminding herself she needed to remain calm for Harry's sake.

The right lens in Harry's glasses was smashed. The damage was such that a simple Reparo would not be sufficient to mend the lens. She gingerly removed the boy's glasses so she could better assess the damage to his face. Though Harry's face looked like he had been seriously injured, upon closer inspection, the wounds looked to be superficial, but nonetheless painful. There was a deep of a gash at the outside corner of his eye that would require mending. She could take care of those wounds herself. He mother was a medi-witch after all, and with three brothers, Lucy had learned quite a few first aid spells over the years. But she needed to make sure Harry had no glass in his eyes. If that was the case, it would beyond her basic skills and require a trip to the hospital.

"What happened?" she asked the twins without taking her eyes off Harry.

"We were having a snowball fight," said a scared voice that belonged to either Fred or George. "When Fred scooped up his snow, he didn't feel the rock through his gloves," George volunteered after a minute moment of panicked silence.

Indeed, lying on the ground beside Harry was a naked stone about the size of a quarter, small enough not to be felt through thick gloves when mixed with snow, yet large enough to cause serious damage if hurled at a high enough velocity.

Lucy looked into Harry's watery eyes. His pupils looked normal, thank God, she decided it was safe to move him indoors. They all needed to get out of the cold. Lucy said firmly, "Boys, I need you to go inside and sit quietly at the dining table while I check on Harry."

She would not punish the boys. It was, after all, an accident. But she would sit them all down give them a safety lecture. Lucy felt very much like a bad mother at the moment. She would not condemn small boys for having a snowball fight, but she should have told then to beware of any spots with shallow snow. She should have stayed outside with them and watched them like a hawk.

As she put a lightening charm on Harry so she could carry him into the house, she finally wondered to herself what Severus would say. She was a teacher for Merlin's sake; she should be capable of caring for four children without landing her fiancé's son into St. Mungo's.

Lucy reached for Harry and the scared child flung himself around her and encircled his arms around her neck before she had the chance to lift him. Luckily, she had already applied the lightening charm, or his momentum would have knocked her over. He was softly crying as he nuzzled the unhurt side of his face agents against her neck.

She lifted Harry from the ground, staggering only slightly from her altered centre of balance. Lucy reminded herself that she would need to cast a drying spell on the lot of them when they entered the house.

Molly's boys led the procession into the house, and Lucy stifled the hysterical thought that Harry should be lying on a shield with his knights leading the way.

Once inside, the Weasley boys obediently sat at the dining table, uncharacteristically quiet and contrite. Lucy placed her sniffling and snuffling charge gently on the sofa.

First things first, Lucy needed to check for glass in Harry's eyes but she had to calm the boy down. She summoned some supplies she thought she might need from Severus' medicinal stores, Calming Draught, pain reliever, Murtlap wraps, and clean cloths. She checked the potion label to make sure she was giving Harry the correct potion and dosage.

"Baby, drink this for Mama." Lucy still did not realise she was using the moniker. The only thing she focused on was Harry and how thankful she was he complied so readily. His cries almost immediately gave way to soft hiccups then she administered the pain potion and Scourgified the wound. Fresh blood dripped from the gash at the corner of Harry's eye and she gently held a cloth just below the wound to keep the blood in check. She did not want to put pressure directly on the wound until she was sure it was free from debris.

Now she that Harry was breathing calmly and his face was clean, she could get on to the business of checking his eye for glass. "I need everybody to remain still and quiet," Lucy announced. "I am going to make the room dark so I can check Harry's eyes."

"Is it gonna hurt?" The tiny inquiry was the first words out of Harry since he was hurt.

"Not this one, Harry," Lucy assured as she brushed a tear plastered bang away from Harry's eyes. "I'm just going to make your eyes glow in the dark so I can see them better." She heard the three boys at the table mutter 'Wicked.' Harry still looked very scarred, but the comment from the Weasley audience seemed to bring out some of his bravado. He sat up straighter with a little determined line between his brows.

Lucy was worried about the injured eye. It was beginning to swell.

Lucy took her wand, made a swirling motion over her head, and uttered, "Nox Maxima."

There was a chorus of gasps and 'whoa's as the room went as black as pitch. It seemed as if the sun had gone out because what little natural sunlight there was that day was no longer entering through the windows.

Another quick incantation and Harry's eyes began glowing a phosphorescent blue.

"Wow!"

"Boys, don't move from that table," Lucy warned. "Your eyes will not adjust."

"My eyes feel weird." Harry whimpered.

"That's normal, Harry. Do they hurt any worse?"

"Uh uh, but my head hurts."

Lucy sighed in relief as there were no signs of glass in Harry's eyes and his orbital sockets were free of blood. Guiding her wand along Harry's temple, she noticed that the gash was deep. There was a piece of glass imbedded in the wound. That was obviously where the major part of Harry's bleeding had originated. She would need the lights on so she could guide her hands properly to remove the glass.

"Alright boys, everybody close your eyes...eyes closed?" If she suddenly flashed the children's eyes with light after being immersed in such total darkness, she would be treating the whole lot for headaches.

The three chorused, "Yes, ma'am."

Lucy waved her wand and with another incantation, the lights were back on, and the dim autumn sunlight was streaming in the windows once again.

The children blinked as their eyes readjusted to the light.

"That was a brilliant spell, Miss Lucy!"

"Thank you, Ron," she needed to keep the other boys quietly occupied while she continued to work on Harry. Her nerves would not be able to stand Gobstones or Exploding Snap. "Boys, I think Professor Snape has some Muggle board games on that bottom shelf," Lucy pointed to one of Severus' over stuffed bookcases on the other side of the room. "Why don't you pick out something to play while I fix up Harry?" The three red heads ran over to the book self and after a quick deliberation, they decided upon Chinese checkers.

Once Lucy removed the glass from Harry's face, it was a matter of a stitching charm and some Murtlap Essence.

Harry was now leaning against her; the wraps with Murtlap Essence were plastered over the gash on his eye. She also gave him a mild children's pain potion for his headache. His tears had stopped long ago, but it seemed as if he still needed a bit of assurance that he was indeed all right. The brothers had invited Harry over to play with them, but he was not ready to leave Lucy's side. Lucy attributed it to the pain potion making Harry drowsy.

She let out an audible sigh. Severus was going to have to take Harry back to Diagon Alley for new glasses, but at least the boy had no permanent damage done.

As if Harry had read Lucy's mind he quietly asked, "Mummy, is Daddy going to be angry that I broke my glasses?"

Lucy gasped. Mummy. Harry just called her 'Mummy.' Where did that suddenly come from? She had forgotten that in the midst of her own fear, she had referred to herself as 'Mama' without thinking. Lucy only debated for half a second if she should correct Harry, and then thought better of it. 'Mummy' felt right.

"No Harry, it wasn't your fault," she said as she gingerly removed Harry's wrap to see how his wound was healing. It looked good, but it would still need a couple of hours under the wrap to ensure there was no scar.

"Is he going to be angry at Fred?"

"No Harry. It was an accident, but you must be more careful when you're out playing in the snow." She kissed Harry on his forehead, just above his scar. "Would you like to join your friends now?"

"No, I can't see good without my glasses anyway."

"'Well,' Harry. You can't see 'well'. Here..." Lucy summoned a throw pillow from the nearest chair and placed it on her lap. "Why don't you take a nap before Daddy gets home?" She was hoping that Severus would be home soon.

Harry was settling down in on the sofa, ready to but put is head on Lucy's lap, when a nervous and contrite Fred Weasley hesitantly approached. "Harry...I'm really sorry, mate. I didn't know I picked up that rock. I didn't mean to hurt you."

Harry gave his friend a little smile, he sounded content and answered, "That's okay Fred. My mum fixed me up."

Lucy felt her face get warm at Harry's words and Fred gave Harry a knowing grin. "Your mama should be here soon," Lucy told the young ginger as she adjusted the patch over Harry's eye. "Why don't you boys gather your things then you can continue your game while you wait."

"Are you going to tell Mum and Dad?" Ron asked curiously.

George flashed Ron a look that said he would get his once they were back on their home turf. Fred went pale with fear.

"I'll tell them because they will ask what happened to Harry." She reached out with her free hand and took Fred's chin so she could look him in the eye. "But I promise to tell them that it was an accident and you apologised on your own. Okay?"

A look of relief washed over the boy's face as he gave her a little nod.

"Good. Now go get ready for your folks."

***6:18p.m. ***

Severus was overdue. The Weasley's had long since picked up their children and it was well past teatime. She did not know if this was a good sign or a bad sign as to what was happening with Black. Severus probably would not be in the best of moods when he returned but at least Harry was no worse for wear.

She had already had Harry fed, washed and in his pyjamas. He was sporting a new Murtlap patch and his eye was nearly completely healed. Severus never missed supper with her and Harry. Where could he be? Lucy would love to fire-call Grimmauld Place, but the place was warded against intrusion. Alf had escorted Severus and Black had been expecting them both. Lucy was worried and a little bit put off. Why hadn't Severus at least called? Didn't he realise she would be worried? She would not be able to go to sleep until he came home and she had a busy day ahead of her tomorrow. Lucy was going back to Hogwarts to get ready for her first class since she was injured. She decided if Severus wasn't home soon, she would give Uncle Albus a fire-call.

She and Harry were in the kitchen preparing a bowl of vegetables for Thor when Lucy saw the reflection of a spout of green flame on the backsplash. She sighed in relief that Severus was home, but her relief was short lived.

Severus had uncharacteristically stumbled out of the Floo with another wizard attached to his coatail. "Black you imbecile! You could have killed us both!"

Severus had hit the floor along with Black. Lucy instinctively turned around and picked up Harry, holding to her body protectively. She stayed behind the obscurring wall of the kitchen and listened for any sign that Severus might need help.

Harry had buried his head into Lucy's neck and gave a soft whimper. After all of this time, the boy still could not stand to be around people who yelled and the sound of Severus' raised voice must have terrified the boy. As she was trying to decide how to protect Harry if worse came to worse and she would have to enter the fray, the Floo roared again and she heard Alf's voice. "I tried to stop him Severus, but he was too quick."

"I want to see my godson!" Black explained as he extracted himself from atop Severus.

"That little stunt of yours nearly splinched us! We had agreed upon Dumbledore's office tomorrow afternoon, Black!" Severus said bitterly as he took Alf's offered hand and arose from the floor. "I told you I need time to explain to Harry."

"I don't give a shite about what my solicitor said, Snape! I haven't seen my godson in five years and not you or any bloody..."

"Ahem!"

At the sound of Lucy's interruption, the bickering between the wizards ceased and all eyes were turned towards Lucy.

"Gentlemen...," Lucy said sternly, yet evenly enough to keep from upsetting Harry any further. "Please, mind your language and your tones. Little pictures have big ears..."

Severus went to Lucy to check on his distressed son, and Alf physically grabbed Black around the chest to keep him from interfering. Severus reached out to Harry, and Lucy attempted to give the child to his father, but she and Severus both froze as Harry tightened his grip around her neck and refused to let go.

Lucy shifted Harry's weight with one arm supporting the boy's bum and her other hand cradling his head, rocked in place and cooed softly in Harry's ear. She looked to Severus to apologise but was rendered silent by the look on his face. She could swear it was a mixture of hurt and anger.

Harry shifted his head to look at his daddy, and Severus spotted the Murtlap wrap.

"What happened?" he asked under his breath sotto voce, his tone coldly furious even as he did not raise his voice. Lucy looked at him in shock. Severus had never spoken to her like that before. He most certainly had never looked at her that way. It seemed as if his eyes were boring into her and his heavy breathing indicated he was trying very hard to keep his temper under control.

"The boys were playing in the yard," Lucy said almost too defensively. "Fred Weasley had..."

"Is this your idea of taking good care of Harry, Snape?" Black accused as he pointed a hand in Lucy's direction. "How can I be sure that she didn't...?"

"That's enough, Sirius!" Alf warned under his breath. "Lucy has done nothing to hurt Harry and you're scarring the boy."

Lucy noticed that Black's face immediately softened and he actually apologised. "I'm sorry, Lu...Dr. O'Conner. I haven't been thinking straight lately and I certainly did not intend to scare Harry." Black gave a nervous little cough, "Sorry."

Lucy looked at Severus, he was still looking at Lucy and Harry but his face was expressionless. Why wasn't he outraged on her behalf? Alf had come to Lucy's defence before Black could finish his statement.

"Snape? Do you mind if I meet Harry?" Black's words were strained, but Lucy could tell the man was trying to make an attempt at civility for Harry's sake.

Severus remained silent, with his back to Black. Lucy gave Severus a questioning look, to which Severus nodded his reluctant approval.

Lucy then brought Harry's face up to meet hers. "Harry? Would you like to meet your godfather?" she gently asked."

Harry looked at Black and then back to Lucy, "He's not going to yell at me, is he?"

Severus and Black both stiffened at the comment. Lucy thought bitterly that they had both better feel guilty for the little scene they caused in front of the boy.

"No, he won't." Lucy promised as she gave a warning glance to Black.

Harry looked at his godfather. He looked as though he were contemplating the dejected looking man. Lucy thought at least Black looked better than he had that first night and he no longer smelled of rotten garbage and wet dog. He was still pale and gaunt, but he had pulled his unruly hair, which was longer than Severus', back into an untidy ponytail. Lucy could tell that he had once been a very handsome man, and probably would be again once he had a few more regular meals and a lot less stress.

After a moment of consideration, Harry looked to his daddy for permission. Remaining silent, Severus once again, only nodded his approval. Lucy gingerly removed Harry's Murtlap patch and breathed a sigh relief to find the wound completely healed. She gently put Harry down and turned him to face Black, who was now sitting in an uncomfortable hunched posture in the wingback chair facing them. Alf took his usual position along the wall as the silent observer who only intervened if he deemed it necessary. Harry looked up to his Daddy and Mummy for reassurance. Seeing that Severus was not going to be much help in the matter, Lucy knelt down to Harry's level and softly said into his ear, "Only if you want to, Baby."

Lucy watched as Harry nodded and determinably plucked up his courage and slowly made his way over to his awaiting godfather.

Black looked terrified. Lucy knew he was nervous because he had blown Harry's first impression of him and everything was riding on this meeting. When Harry stopped in front of Black, Lucy noticed a tear streak down Black's cheek, glistening in the soft light of the fire.

Black gazed at Harry in awe. "You look just like your father...only your eyes are Lily's" He reached out to touch Harry's face but hesitated a when Harry stiffened slightly. When Harry noticed that Black did not intend to hurt him, he relaxed and allowed Black to touch him.

"I know, Daddy told me." Harry looked happily over to Severus. "I even have pictures."

"You do?" Black said in happy surprise.

"Yeah, maybe I can show you sometime. But it's almost bedtime so I can't show you tonight."

"Are you happy with, Sniv...your da-daddy?" Black managed choke out as he looked over Harry's shoulder to a still stoic Severus.

Harry looked over his shoulder and flashed a broad smile at Severus. "Daddy's the best!" The corner of Severus mouth twitched at Harry's adulation. It was the closest reaction he had to an emotional response since Lucy first tried to explain Harry's accident. "He and Mummy take real good care of me. Look...Mummy fixed my eye!"

Lucy blushed with embarrassment, as Black looked slightly confused. Alf put his hand over his mouth to hide his obvious smile. Lucy thought for a split second, she might have seen a flash of something cross Severus' eyes, but it was gone before she was certain of what it was. His face was blank again. She wished he would say something. Thus far, the meeting was going as well as could be hoped. Why was he still angry?

Something happened. Lucy had obviously missed an exchange between Harry and Black as they were now embraced. Black was happily crying a jag into Harry's shoulder.

Lucy glanced over to Severus; his facade was grim and stoic. Lucy had a sinking feeling that she was seeing the 'Old Severus' she had oft heard about for the very first time.

***9:12p.m. ***

Lucy heard Severus' heavy, purposeful steps following her down the stairs. They had just put Harry to bed. Severus had put on a convincing show for Harry after Black had left, but Lucy could see behind his eyes he was seething. Something still had him upset and for the life of her, she could not figure out what it was.

Harry was fine. It couldn't have been that. Severus wanted Lucy to adopt Harry, so it couldn't be Harry calling her 'Mummy'. He should be ecstatic about that...though Severus had yet to comment upon it. Once Black was able to behave himself, the meeting between he and Harry had gone rather well...So...So what was wrong with Severus?

When they reached the bottom of the stairs, she turned to face Severus. He stood as still as a statue as his eyes bore into her once again.

"What happened?"

"Harry already told you all about it," Lucy said, a bit confused that Severus would ask the question again. "The children were having a snowball fight. There was a stone in Fred's snowball. It was an accident. If you're worried about replacing Harry's glasses, Severus, I would be hap..."

Lucy jumped when Severus bellowed, "I don't give a damn about Harry's glasses, Lucy. Where the hell were you?"

"I was in the kitchen getting a project together. The children had only been in the yar...garden... a warded garden, mind you, for maybe fifteen minutes. It's not as though I let them play in the street!"

Lucy and Severus simultaneously cast spells to keep their raised voices from waking Harry. They looked back to one another, both clearly irritated.

"No, but you left four small children to their own devices!"

"Their own dev...? Severus, that doesn't make any sense. The children play outside on their own at the Burrow all the time!"

"That's not the point, Lucy! Harry was hurt when I came home!"

"You are wrong, Mister Man," Lucy said pointedly. "Harry was perfectly fine when you came home. I'm the one who had to face a hurt and panicked child!"

"A situation, I might add, which would not have happened if you would have been monitoring the children properly." Severus spat.

"There is no way to know that, Severus! Had you been there, it probably would have happened right under your nose."

"And what about my nose?"

Now Lucy was really getting irritated. "Damn it, Severus. Now you're just being ridiculous."

"I am not being ridiculous," Severus said defensively. "Lucy, how do you think I feel coming home-with Black in tow, only to find my son had been hurt?"

Lucy's blood froze. "What? What do you mean by that?"

Severus threw his hands up in the air and said in exasperation, "Forget it, Lucy...I've had enough arguing today to last a lifetime...You wouldn't understand."

"What wouldn't I understand, Severus?" Lucy queried icily, her eyes locked on her irate fiancé.

Severus did not answer her, instead he bounded up the stairs and she heard the door to the bedroom door shut a little more forcefully than necessary.

Lucy plopped down on the sofa, feeling weary and dejected. My son. What happened to their family?

Lucy looked towards the top of the stairs, not bothering to wipe away the treacherous tear that ran down her cheek. Did he think that she would not understand how it felt to see her own child hurt? Was she not to be the parent to Harry that Severus was? Lucy felt her heart clutch so tightly, she wondered if she would stop breathing.

Just when Lucy thought Severus could not hurt her anymore than he already had, he stomped back down the stairs. He was in Muggle clothing, black denim jeans, a rust coloured button down shirt, and a brown leather jacket. He had his hair pulled back in a ponytail. Lucy might have thought the look was quite becoming, if she didn't know that he was heading out the door.

"Where are you going?" she asked, trying to hide the panic that was welling in her heart.

"I need to get out," he said dispassionately as he opened the seldom-used front door. "Don't wait up."

Lucy's world collapsed upon her as Severus slammed the door shut on his way out. She cried for nearly an hour clutching her unborn child protectively... and Severus had still not returned. She determinedly made up her mind as to what she would do next. If Severus could not stand to be around her, she most definitely was not going to impose her presence upon him. After all, this was his home; Harry was his son, why should he be forced to leave?

Wiping the tears from her eyes with her shirtsleeve, she slowly ascended the stairs. She hated to wake him, but Lucy desperately needed to talk to the boy whom she still held hope would one day be her son too. She needed to let him know that no matter what happened, she was not abandoning him.

Lucy had no idea what the consequences of her next action would be, but she knew in the state of mind she was in, she could not sleep in the same bed with Severus tonight.

***11:32p.m. ***

Severus sat alone, hidden amongst the shadows of the walled steps that led up to the north porch of the t'owd church. He found something strangely comforting and familure in its skyward-reaching, Gothic architecture. He vaugely remembered the couple times he had attened services there with his nana as a small boy.

After he left the house, Severus walked aimlessly and before long he found himself on the cobbled stone streets of Potato Warf. He wasn't far from the river. Did he want to stroll by the old shipping wharves? He hadn't been down by the river since he was a teenager. Deciding he did not need to add to melancholy by reliving his depressing adolescence, nor offend his olfactory senses with the odour of ship petrol and stagnant waist, Severus decided for a change of venue, and for no other reason than a simple whim, he Apparated on to an alleyway in Victoria Street.

The night was overcast and there was neither moonlight nor starlight, however, the yellow streetlamps reflected an eerie amber glow off the snow-covered knoll before him.

He berated himself for unleashing his temper on Lucy. Normally, Severus would not have gone on about a minor accident, but today of all days..., why did it have to happen today?

In reality, Severus was angry with himself, and he felt himself revert to his nasty habit of taking out his self-loathing on the people he loved. It was how he lost Lily and Severus was damned if he was going to lose Lucy in the same fashion. The night had already turned pear-shaped and Severus had to leave before he said something he might truly regret.

The meeting that day with Black was not as bad as Severus expected it to be...it was infinitely worse. When Severus broke the news that he had adopted Harry, the altercation with Black had almost come to fisticuffs, only Remus' intervention had prevented physical blows. Severus had expected that much.

Unsurprisingly, Black had threatened Severus' life and manhood. Severus had remained in control of his emotions, even as he recognised an imminent explosion of temper building in him, something in which Severus had also expected. When his usual intimidation had not worked on Severus, Black the former prisoner, closed off his Floo, set Anti-Disapparition Wards and kept Severus and Remus virtual prisoners in his grim home until the Black family solicitor arrived two hours later. It took another four and a half hours before the ancient wizard could convince Black that Severus' adoption of Harry was legal and ironclad. The only way Black might possibly contest Harry's adoption, was if there were any signs of abuse in the household.

Black had reluctantly admitted defeat. With the solicitor still at hand, Severus had promised Black he would see to it that he could meet Harry in Dumbledore's office the next day. Black had agreed to the terms, but reneged as Severus tossed down the Floo powder. He felt another presence grab the back of his robes and it took all of Severus' formidable skill to maintain his concentration and prevent them both from being killed.

For Severus, the situation turned from bad to worse when he arrived home to find a Murtlap patch plastered over Harry's eye. It was just the type of legal fodder Black would be looking for. If it had been anyone else in the room, Severus' anger would have died with Lucy's simple explanation, but this was Black...of all people!

Why was it, that after all of these years, Severus still felt he had something to prove to Sirius Black? He wanted to prove to the cur that he, Severus Snape, had survived Black's unremitting schoolyard bullying and had come out the better man, but instead Black's worst fears had seemed to be validated.

Without thinking, Severus scooped up a patch of snow and flung it at a young conifer standing in the knoll. His anger dispersed like so many snowflakes that splattered over the branches and fell in a shimmering cascade to the ground.

An epiphany came to him. Severus' anger had nothing to do with Harry being hurt whilst in Lucy's care. Lucy was right; it was nothing more than an accident and Severus could not have handled the situation any better himself. Severus should have thanked her and defended her when Black had insinuated that she had... Severus could not even complete the thought...he was too ashamed. He had accused Lucy of neglect and worse, all because he thought he looked bad in front of Black. How had he allowed himself to lose control?

Severus had only just remembered...he had hidden himself behind his Occlumency during the entire episode of Black's interaction with Harry. He did not wish for Black to see his jealousy. Somewhere deep down, Severus was frightened to the core that Harry would somehow prefer Black over him. It was all Severus could do to keep from snatching Harry away as he willingly embraced his godfather.

Dear Merlin! Harry had called Lucy "Mummy!" dawned his self-deprecating chagrin...and that statement he made about "my son"... He meant nothing by it, only that Black would have seen Harry's injury as somehow Severus' fault. Lucy must be crushed! It was the event that should have solidified them as a family, and not only had not it not even registered in Severus' brain; his words sounded as if he found Lucy unworthy to be Harry's mother!

Severus held his head in shame and wept. He knew he had hurt Lucy and he had no idea as to how he would make it up to her…or, even if he could.

Severus quickly composed himself after spotting two leather clad and dog collared young lovers who had hoped to take advantage of the mild night and the secluded spot. If they circled the church and came back, they would find the spot abandoned. Severus needed to get back to Lucy. True...he had no inkling as to what he would say to her, but he knew "I'm sorry" would be the place to start.

***16 November, 1986-12:11 a.m.***

Severus Apparated into the woods just behind his home so the resounding crack would not reverberate throughout the Muggle neighbourhood. The snow crunched under his feet as he made his way to the front of the house. The door clicked open and for a brief moment, Severus had thought Lucy had gone to bed as he entered to his dark sitting room. The sound of soft breathing coming from the direction of the sofa told him he had been mistaken.

"Lucy?"

"Severus. Good...you're home." He could not see her, but from the uncharacteristically cold tone of her voice, Severus knew something was wrong...very wrong.

Severus stood in the doorway as Lucy came into the faint light that invaded from outside. She had her heavy winter cloak draped over her arm. She stopped long enough to sling her cloak over her shoulders and soldiered her way past Severus and out the door. He turned to her in confusion as she opened the wrought iron gate to the front garden and snapped it shut behind her.

With a feeling of dread, and déjà vu, he asked, "Where are you going?"

She turned to face him. Her eyes were distant. She said in the same clipped tones he had used on her only hours before, "I need to get out," sounding aloof and far off. "Don't wait up."

Severus' world collapsed upon him as the *crack* of her Disapparation echoed in the dark night.

The End.
End Notes:
"t'owd church" is the Mancunian vernacular for the Manchester Cathedral.
Finding Lucy, Losing Harry by missyanne

***16 November 1986-7:17 a.m. ***

Severus was still in bed. He had failed to close his eyes once during the long night. Normally, he would have started his morning routine over an hour ago. He had not even bothered to awaken Harry, rationalising that his son would still be sleepy from his emotional day. Severus was so exhausted that his entire body protested at the mere idea of stumbling out of bed.

He had no desire to leave his bed. Lucy's citrusy scent still lingered in the sheets and he wanted nothing more than to let her ethereal presence enfold him. Without thinking, Severus would turn to put his arm around his Lucy, only to find she was not there and his heart would break anew at each occurrence.

Lucy never came home. Severus was certain that she was at Hogwarts or the Hog's Head, but that knowledge did nothing to ease his worry. Would she ever come back? He would say and do anything, short of giving up Harry, if she would just come home. It did not even matter to him that he looked a fool to the neighbours after she Apparated as the house lights snapped on one by one in the industrial neighbourhood and worried eyes peered through the stealthily opened drapes, looking for whose car might have misfired.

Severus just wanted his Lucy back.

If she would only come back, he could explain. He should have explained last night rather than run off on her. It would not have been easy for him to explain himself...explain that whenever Black was about, Severus felt the need to fight...to fight for his dignity, to fight for his honour... to fight for his right to happiness. It was a fight Severus had been engaging in with Black since he was eleven years old.

It disgusted Severus that he could still find his anger provoked from his childhood rival and shamed him that he took that anger out on the one person who would have understood. Lucy would have understood, he was sure of it, and he should have spoken to her, rather than give into his childhood bogymen. If he had, Severus would have been holding her this morning rather than grasping at ghosts.

He let his temper get the best of him, and he had pushed her away... just like Lily.

Severus' body was just about to give in to his fatigue by sliding into a fitful doze when the sound of tiny footfalls going down his stairs forced him to face his bleak day...like it or not. He groaned as his body objected to his movements and he placed his bare feet on the cold, wood floor. Severus dug his slippers from beneath the bed with his foot as he reached for his dressing gown hanging over the end of his bed. Knowing that since he felt like death warmed over, he probably looked it too, he made a point to avoid the mirror as he left his room. It was good thing he had stopped frequenting the local pub after he gained custody of Harry, or Severus was quite certain he'd have a few more sins, and a throbbing head, to add to his regrets that morning.

Severus held the banister for support as he unsteadily made his way down the stairs. He stopped at the bottom of the landing when he heard the refrigerator door snap open and saw a light illuminate the dim kitchen. Severus rushed over to help Harry with whatever it was he was trying to fix himself. Severus added neglectful parent to his burgeoning list of faults. He had chosen to sleep in and now his six-year-old son was trying to fix himself breakfast. He might as well hand Harry over to Black now and at least avoid a trip to Azkaban for child neglect. He stopped at the kitchen door, when in his confusion; he noticed what the child was hefting onto the kitchen table.

Kale? Was the boy attempting to make a salad for breakfast?

Severus' brow rose in amazement as Harry dragged one of the chairs from the kitchen table over to the sink. The boy clambered on the rungs and then onto the seat. He asked in a soft tone, so as not to frighten the boy and cause him to fall, "Harry, what do you think you are doing?"

"I have to wash the vegetables," he replied, explaining the obvious to Severus. "Mummy asked me to take care of Thor while she was gone."

Severus nearly choked on his own Adam's apple. He joined Harry at the sink. A box of blueberries awaited Harry on the counter. Severus, conjured a waterproof apron around his son, and picked the boy up so he would have easier access to the running water. "Mummy told you she was leaving? Did she tell you where she was going?"

He breathed an internal sigh of relief. If Lucy left her precious rabbit, she had no intention of being gone for long.

Harry looked at Severus as if his daddy had gone daft. "Of course she did. She went to Hogwarts. You already know that."

Severus helped Harry down from the chair and the boy scuttled to the kitchen table to put down the berries. He came back to Severus and handed him a large, leafy, greenish-purple head of kale.

Severus' chest tightened as he realised his little boy was growing up. Harry was intent upon taking on the responsibly Lucy had given him, and Severus couldn't have been any prouder of Harry's determination. Severus' heart mourned for the passing of his little boy, and celebrated the arrival of his little man at the same time.

Harry continued to explain to Severus, "Mummy said she might be gone a couple of days and if I take good care of Thor she might let me keep her."

Severus' hands stopped as he was washing the rabbit's kale. What did that mean? Was Lucy simply deciding what her next move would be before she left him? Was she coming back only to gather her things and be gone forever? How would he face her at school? Severus felt like such a tosser. For once, he thought he might actually have found happiness with a woman who loved him, and he could not even hold on to her for a week. He shook his head slightly to bring himself out of his depressed torpor and sniffed before he had a chance to shed the tears that had been gathering all morning. "Harry, did you leave enough berries for your porridge or are you feeding them all to the rabbit?"

***8:14 a.m. ***

"Severus, are you there?"

"Come through, Albus."

Severus was turned away from the Floo, his hands behind his back, and starring out the garden door at the bright day which was so contrary to his state of mind. It was still cold enough that most of the snow that fell the previous day was still on the ground, but by midday most of it would melt off, with only small patches left in the shade to indicate it had ever snowed at all.

Harry was upstairs in his room, playing quietly with Lucy's rabbit. As much as Severus wanted to find Lucy, he had to take Harry to Diagon Alley to be fitted for new glasses after the Headmaster left.

On the coffee table, awaiting Albus was a box containing three stands of hair, one belonging to Severus, one Harry and the other to Lucy. They would be needed as Albus and Severus established new wards about the property.

Severus heard the rush of magic emit from his Floo and the soft rustle of robes as the Headmaster stepped out of the hearth.

"Have you read the morning Prophet, Severus?"

Severus turned his head slightly to Albus' direction. The Headmaster's question had not registered at first. "Hmm...No, Albus." He finally turned and gestured for the old wizard to take a chair. "Why, has the news of the adoption finally leaked to the press?"

"No, thankfully, it has not," said Albus with a happy grin and his trademark twinkling eyes as he lowered himself into one of Severus' chairs. "There is more sensational news at the moment." This piqued Severus' interest as he sat at the end of his sofa closest to the Headmaster. "Late last night, Arthur Weasley caught an intruder on his property digging beneath one of the trees in his orchard. Imagine his surprise to find that the intruder was none other than Peter Pettigrew."

Severus could not hide his shock from the news. His brain was a rush with a thousand questions. "Pettigrew! He's still alive? What would he ever want with the Weasley's? How... ? Where...?"

Albus held up a hand to cease Severus' questioning. "Has Harry ever made mention of young Percy's rat?"

For a split second, Severus was confused, "Scabbers?" It was then the realisation hit him. "That imbecile has been disguised as a child's familiar all these years?" Severus felt the same horror and disgust clinch his gut that Molly and Arthur must have felt at the moment of discovery. A grown man...hiding amongst children... The thought was too disgusting to contemplate.

Severus felt a rush of worry for young Percy. How would the child react to the news? Molly and Arthur could not hide the news from the boy forever. Severus felt sickened at the implications. Many children slept with their familiars. Almost all would think nothing of dressing or undressing before them. And he was certain that some even bathed with them. Severus wanted to crush the rat's neck, for sins both past and present.

The discovery of such perfidy might require counselling for Percy for some time to come.

Severus hoped this was not the case. He had rarely seen the rat himself, as it would always run and hide whenever Severus arrived at the Burrow...he now knew why. However, whenever Harry made mention of the older boy's familiar, it was to comment upon how boring it was and that it constantly slept and refused to play.

"Yes," Albus concurred sadly then asked, "Where is Lucy? I should like to tell you both the details together so I needn't repeat myself."

"Is she not at Hogwarts?" Severus asked with a bit more visible alarm than he intended. He then cleared his throat to compose himself. "She is supposed to be readying her lessons for tomorrow."

"No doubt she is having breakfast with Aberforth," Albus said unconcerned. "You can fill her in on the details if you see her before me."


When Albus left, Severus took Harry and Flooed to his quarters at Hogwarts. He first checked to see if Lucy was in her quarters or her scriptorium, as the only unimpeded access he had to her chambers was from the Floo in his quarters. He and Harry had startled a house elf that Albus had assigned to care for Lucy's plants, most especially her prized Venus flytrap, Henrietta. The elf had been adamant that Lucy had not come back and furthermore, Severus knew this to be true. Lucy's wards had not been touched.

By that time, Severus had become increasingly more panicked and decidedly more agitated. He did not have much longer before Harry's appointment and he was anxious to find Lucy. It was possible that she spent the evening at the Hog's Head, not wishing to make her late night arrival known to Albus.

Unfortunately, Harry was already beginning to ask questions and Severus could not be certain that there would be no scene when he suddenly showed up at Aberforth's doorstep. Taking Harry to the Burrow was out of the question, as the household was most certainly in the midst of a Ministry investigation. Albus would know that something was amiss if Severus asked a Lucy's whereabouts once again. Severus did not trust his colleagues not to ask questions, and as a result, he once again trusted Harry to Hagrid's care whilst he made a hasty visit to Hogsmeade. Much to Severus' indignation, Lucy had not been to the Hog's Head either, and now Aberforth and Remus were involved.

***1:33 p.m. ***

Severus sat quietly in a chair in an out of the way corner of the exam room whilst the Healer tested Harry's eyes. Upon their entrance to Diagon Alley, Severus had been distracted by , the whispered conversations about the capture of the traitorous Peter Pettigrew and the exoneration of the wrongly-convicted Sirius Black. There was also talk of an investigation of Bartemius Crouch and his possible arrest for falsifying court documents.

The Prophet had not given any of the details. Only stating that Arthur Weasley had captured Peter Pettigrew when the fugitive trespassed onto his property, and that under the influence of Veritaserum, he confessed to exposing the Potter's hiding place to You-Know-Who. Sirius Black was never involved in the treachery and was not a Death Eater. Albus had been successful ensuring none of the more sordid or revealing details made it to public knowledge. How Albus managed such a feat Severus did not know and was almost certain he never wished to.

But unlike the general public, Severus knew quite a bit more. Pettigrew had managed to breach the Weasley's familial wards because he had been given access. As a beloved familiy pet, he was considered a member of the family.

It was nearly a forgotten fact that Peter Pettigrew had secured employment with the Ministry under Arthur Weasley in the Misuse of Muggle Artefacts office. He had only procured the position three weeks before his false death. He knew hiding in the home of a highly respected Muggle sympathiser such as Arthur Weasley would be a perfect disguise.

Upon his hire, he was invited to dinner at the Burrow as was custom for Arthur to do for his new employees. Apparently, Peter Pettigrew was not the complete idiot that he portrayed himself to be. He had managed to keep himself hidden in the intervening years. It was likely he would have remained incognito indefinitely if Black had not managed to escape and flush him out of hiding.

Pettigrew did not remain a rat during his entire stay with the Weasley's. At one point early in his sojourn, he slipped out whist the rest of the household slept and stole a wand from a Knockturn Alley vagrant. He brought it back with him to the Burrow and buried it in a wooden box under a tree in the Weasley orchard. Over the years, the rat managed to pilfer the occasional stray Knut, Galleon, or Sickle-no mean feat, given the family's lack of solvency- all of which, he hoarded away in his little box until such time he may need to escape. By the time the moment had arrived, Pettigrew had accrued a tidy little sum of money. Pettigrew was caught when he returned to the Burrow in an attempt to retrieve his booty and make good his escape.

Arthur went against protocol and opened the box before the Aurors arrived. Molly recognised a letter addressed to Severus from Lily. It had been amongst letters Lily had sent to her regarding Severus being named Harry's godfather...the one that had mysteriously disappeared. It looked as though someone had tried to open it, as evidenced by crumpled folds the size of a man's fingers and indentations in the shape of a rodent's incisors, but the letter was obviously charmed to be opened only by the intended reader.

Arthur gave the letter to Albus, who in turn gave it to Severus. At present, it was in his shirt pocket, unopened. Funny, it was not very long ago when Severus would have thrown himself into isolation, ripped opened the letter, and dwelled for days on end over Lily's final words to him. True, Severus was curious as to what was in the letter-perhaps it contained the answers as to why Lily chose him as Harry's godfather- but the reasons were now immaterial to him. After he and Albus set the new wards about his home, it was time for Severus to bring Harry to the optometrist and he'd had no time to fire-call Aberforth to see if Lucy was there.

Despite the wizarding world being abuzz with the latest Death Eater scandal, or even the letter from Lily left unopened in his pocket, Severus dwelt little upon any of it. He just wanted the bloody Optical Healer to do her job so he could get to Hogsmeade and find Lucy.

After Harry was fitted for his glasses, Severus would go to Aberforth's. Perhaps Lucy would have been in contact with her grandfather by then. Severus had no illusions that their next meeting would not be tense, and he did not wish for Harry to witness any potential fireworks. Surly, Lucy would at least be back at Hogwarts by that time.

Severus shifted in his chair as he impatiently waited for the Healer to transfigure Harry's new glasses. Perhaps, perhaps, perhaps! Damn it! Why did she have to leave! If she had only given him five minutes to explain, he wouldn't be sitting here ready to crawling out of his bloody skin whilst waiting for...

"There we are, Harry," the Healer chirped happily, making Severus wish he could vomit. The old wizard that had originally fitted Harry had retired since the past summer. "Good as new. I simply cannot believe that I am fitting glasses for Har..."

"They are new, Madam," Severus answered sardonically as he arose to take Harry from the exam chair. He despised people who hero-worshipped his son as if the boy was Merlin reincarnated. "And I do believe Harry should be the judge of how 'adequate' the glasses are."

Harry looked up at Severus with his familiar spectacled face, his little brow creased with confusion at his daddy's ire with the witch. "They work great, Daddy. She did a good job."

"Yes, Mr. Snape," the witch replied tersely. "I cast additional anti-breakage spells, so if an incident such as yesterday's happens again, the lens will not shatter. Might I suggest in a few years, fitting your son with Kerat-Lenses, they fit directly on the eye and will only need replacing once every two years."

She smartly tore of the perforated sheet he would need to sign out Harry and handed it Severus.

Severus snatched the forms out of the witch's hand. "It is 'Professor Snape,'"


Severus was thankful he purchased additional insurance for Harry's new glasses. Unlike in the Muggle world, Wizarding specialists required private payment. Severus debated if the next time Harry's prescription needed renewal, whether he should just take the boy to a local Muggle doctor in Manchester. Harry would certainly be less recognisable in that circumstance.

As Severus walked down Diagon Alley, hand in hand with Harry, he swore he could feel strange eyes following them. It was mid-November, and students had long since gone back to school, and the Christmas shoppers have not yet descended en masse. Since the Alley was not as busy as it was when Severus last brought Harry, neither boy nor father enjoyed the anonymity that came from being swallowed in a swirling sea of humanity.

Logic dictated to Severus that he was probably paranoid, as there were few public photographs of either he or Harry. Severus and Albus had done a relatively good job of keeping Harry from the prying eyes of the paparazzi and Severus was considered too un-photogenic to be a real target for the sharks with film. It was unlikely that anyone notice Harry's scar unless they were staring directly at his forehead, due to the boy's constant insistence that it remained covered by his fringe.

What was it that Lucy had once said to him when he had burned a hole in the top layer of his coat sleeve during a Potion demonstration and the damage was resistant to magical repair? Severus had sworne under his breath about the incident nearly the entire lunch hour when Lucy had finally had enough of his grousing and said, "Honestly, Severus. If anybody gets close enough to notice, slap them."

Severus gave a crooked smile as he thought of the memory. He wished he could have slapped the Optical Healer, but that would have led to a nasty scene involving Aurors, and the witch did have to get close enough examine Harry's eyes.

Severus had originally intended upon doing a little early Christmas shopping that day, but now he was wondering if it would be pre-mature.

Although the early winter weather that plagued Manchester had not seen its way to London, the air was still cold and damp as it had rained the day before rather than snowed. It was a chore to avoid the lingering puddles that were still spattered about the alley and Severus decided once again to carry Harry rather than have to deal with cold, wet feet and a set of sniffles later.

Rather than take Harry to lunch at the Cauldron, where Tom and his clientele had an ugly habit of fawning over Harry, Severus opted to lunch at a small, unassuming yet more expensive bistro tucked away in a branched offshoot of the Alley that catered to a more discerning cliental. At least the patrons would have the grace not to overtly stare in the direction of Severus and Harry, thus ensuring that neither of them would be bothered with impertinent questions of the type asked by gossiping harpies and brownnosing arse-kissers.

As soon as he had Harry fed, he would ask Hagrid to take care of Harry once again. Severus needed to find Lucy without the added distraction of his son's presence. He decided to use the excuse that he needed to move their effects back to the school now that the 'threat' of Black was gone. He would simply take 'breaks' from time-to-time and drop in on Lucy's office.

***9:35 p.m.***

So much for finding Lucy today, Severus thought to himself as he scowled into his cup of camomile. He had put Harry to bed just over an hour ago and of course, the child would rip out Severus' heart by asking when Mummy would be coming home.

Apparently, Lucy had returned to Hogwarts early that afternoon. Many of his colleagues mentioned visiting Lucy in her office and welcoming her back and to congratulate her personally on the engagement. Severus had already run that gauntlet. Albus had let that Kneazle of the basket days ago. One of his seventh year Slytherins had won a betting pool by correctly predicting that Severus would propose, and Lucy would accept, before the month of November was out. By the time Severus had arrived at Lucy's office again, Professor Binns had informed him that Lucy had grown weary of the constant interruption, and moved her work to the seclusion of her scriptorium.

Severus debated on whether or not he should disturb Lucy in her sanctum sanctorum. He decided against doing so in the belief that he would only raise her ire even more. Severus decided his best course of action would be to wait for Lucy to calm down and seek him out when she was ready. Regardless of how difficult the waiting was.

Severus remained in an enforced state of calm even as the hours crept by. Finally, he gave up any pretence of patience and paced the small parlour of his rooms. Dammit! Where was she?

He faced another night without her and now he was angry again. He needed to get some sleep before lessons began in the morning, as it had been two days since he had any. Exhaustion had not helped his mood at all.

She was avoiding him. How in Merlin's bloody hell was he supposed to apologise and make things right if she avoided him? Were all women so bloody unreasonable?

It was like Lily all over again.

***16 November, 1986-11:25 a.m.***

Drawing her hands down and then back up her face, Lucy reluctantly awoke to the world. It was very late when she Apparated to the gates of Hogwarts. She almost entered the gates when she remembered that the wards would alert Uncle Albus to her late arrival. She did not wish to be bombarded with uncomfortable questions that she had no intention of answering. Lucy briefly considered imposing on Pawpaw, but it was Saturday night, he and Remus would still have their hands full, and honestly, Lucy just wanted to be alone.

She almost decided to Apparate back ho...to Severus', when she remembered Mama's friend Rosie. Mama had visited her while she was here in October, but Lucy had not seen the widowed innkeeper since she was sixteen, the year things really started heating up in Voldemort's War and Lucy had not returned to Scotland until she was twenty. Lucy was never as close to Rosie as her mother had been during their visits and she honestly did not think to drop in on her. Maybe because they weren't so well-acquainted, Rosie might not ask too many questions.

Lucy thought with a wash of guilt that all she really needed from the woman was a room for the night.

"Damn it!" Lucy cursed under her breath when she noticed how high the sun was out the window. It had to be at least late morning if not early afternoon and Lucy had hoped to be back at Hogwarts hours ago. She had missed the checkout time and would have to pay for another day, but that did not matter to Lucy.

It was very late...or was it very early, when Lucy had finally drifted off to sleep, and though she would cut out her tongue before she admitted it to a soul, the bed's in Rosie's inn were much more comfortable than Pawpaw's.

She was obviously more exhausted from the previous night's events than she had originally thought. Lucy groaned as she stretched. After digging out her toothbrush and a change of clothes from the trunk she had restored to size, Lucy shuffled her way to the mirror and filled the chipped, blue, transfer-wear porcelain washbasin with warm water. Unlike Pawpaw's inn, Lucy did not have access to private bathing facilities, so she decided upon a simple sponge bath and a cleansing charm in her room over waiting in line for the no doubt filthy communal shower down the corridor. She could have cast a Disinfecting charm, but the very thought of taking a shower after a stranger was enough to make Lucy want to take another shower.

After her ablutions, Lucy stared out the window. The day was still chilly, but it had warmed up enough that the previous day's snow was beginning to melt.

Sighing to herself, and wondering what Severus and Harry were up to, she wished that she could go back in time and prevent Fred from hurling that damned stone so that all of this would have never happened. Lucy then left the privacy of her room to go downstairs and see what Rosie had to offer for a late breakfast before she returned to the castle.


Lucy sat at a corner table, barely touching something that vaguely resembled quiche. Rosie...Madam Rosmerta as the locals called her, joined Lucy. They had become lost in the conversation of what Lucy had been doing with herself over the years and also the day's news of the capture of Peter Pettigrew and the impending exoneration of Sirius Black.

Lucy soon came to realise that Rosmerta was quite Sirius Black fan. She had been fond of the Marauders, especially Sirius, while they attended Hogwarts. Rosie found him handsome and roguish. Lucy would have liked to have told her that she found him to be a pain in the ass, but that would reveal that she had knowledge of the fugitive's whereabouts.

Careful not to expose too many details, before she realised it, Lucy found herself opening up to Rosie about her fight with Severus. After Rosie's reaction, Lucy did not think she liked Rosie too much anymore.

"Good riddance to bad rubbish."

Lucy nearly choked on her tea to keep from spitting it in Rosie's face."Pardon me?"

"Bah! I'm surprised. You're a right smart young lady. Can't see how you'd involve yourself with a Death Eater." Rosie said as she poured out her own cup. "I remember that Snape boy back in the day. Surly lad he was, always stalking about after poor Lily Evans. Couldn't get through that great brain of his that she fancied James Potter. How could she not? Potter was handsome, popular, and had a great deal of money to boot. A homely, churlish bloke like Snape had no chance. Should have left well enough alone. You'd be better off with the likes of Sirius Black or even young Remus. I've seen him about the village. I understand you two are already acquainted," Rosie said with a hopeful lilt.

Lucy set down with a *clank* of china on china. "Rosie, I am quite aware of Severus' past. It is something that he takes no pride in, but I think I know better than you, that Severus Snape, is indeed, a very good man. And I should hope that Lily Potter was not so shallow as to be attracted to looks, popularity, and money. She obviously saw something redeeming in Severus. After all, she did name him as Harry's godfather."

"Calm yourself, lass," Rosie's 'mothering' was making Lucy nauseous. "I don't claim to know why she did such a daft thing, but I tell you, the man is not right, I don't care what the Prophet says." Rosie said defensively. "You may think you know Snape, but I tell you, a Nundu doesn't change its spots, remember, you have your own wee bairn to consider."

Lucy abruptly pushed her chair away from the table. She stood up and hastily opened the drawstring of her carpet bag. "I assure you, Madam Rosemerta, I have nothing but the best interest of my children in mind." Lucy fumbled in her bag and smacked ten Galleons on the table, more than enough to pay for her room and board for one night. "I need to go home."

Rosmerta's brow lifted as Lucy marched herself up the stairs.

How could Lucy have been so callous? She walked out before she gave Severus a chance to explain himself. It was quite possible she misunderstood him. Severus never actually said Lucy wasn't worthy of being Harry's mother.

She was already wracked in her own guilt over Harry's injury and had no doubt projected the negative emotion onto Severus.

Severus at least deserved the chance to explain...and she had her own apologies to make. She could not run away every time an argument went south. She had more than herself, or even Severus to consider. She had to consider the children. Plus, she loved Severus. That hadn't changed for a second. It was obvious in the way she defended him against Rosie. Furthermore, she knew beyond a shadow of a doubt that Severus loved her. Surely, there was nothing they could not work out.


Lucy took the Floo back to Spinner's End only to find it empty. Of course...Harry's glasses.

Still needing to fulfil her obligations to her students, Lucy reluctantly Flooed back to the school. After all, Severus already knew of her plans to work at school today and she assured Harry that was where she would be.

She had been there for just over an hour and managed to get nothing done. The endless string of well- wishers, both students and staff, welcoming her back was beginning to play on her nerves. Not to mention, if Severus were to come, he would never want to risk personal matters reaching the ears of others.

After that mosquito, Trelawney, had actually shown up to announce that Lucy was expecting fraternal twins, Lucy had put up with all that her nerves could stand. She stood up and announced, "Cuthbert, if Severus should stop by, please let him know I am in my scriptorium."

Lucy did manage to complete her work in silence, but her agitation grew by the minute. Where was Severus? Cuthbert had floated in and informed her that he had seen Severus and he had let her fiancé know her of whereabouts. Why hadn't Severus shown up? Was he still angry with her over Harry? Was he avoiding her? Did he think he had nothing to apologise for...just like Kenneth?

Lucy went through her nightly routine and for the first time in a week and a half, climbed into her own bed.

It felt strange and unfamiliar. It would be another very long and lonely night.

***21 November, 1986***

It had been a very strange few days for Harry. Mummy and Daddy were trying to hide that they were fighting. Either Mummy or Daddy would come and have lunch with him at Hagrid's hut, but never together. Something was going on at the Weasley's and Harry would not go back until tomorrow. Mr. Lupin had something he had to do, so he couldn't watch Harry this week and Daddy did not want Harry at Mr. Dumbledore's without him or Mummy because of all the strangers that came by. Harry was glad he was going back to the Weasley's again. Hagrid was fun, and Harry was allowed to play with his puppy, Fang, whenever he wanted, but most of the time Harry just followed Hagrid around the castle, watching him trim hedges or muck out the hippogriff paddock. Harry didn't mind so much, but the hippogriffs were awfully smelly. Sometimes Harry found a little snake to talk to, but for the most part, he was pretty bored.

At night, they all had dinner together in the Great Hall, just like they used to, and Mummy and Daddy talked to him a lot, but they did not talk to each other. Whenever Harry asked Mummy how long it would be until she came home, she would just say maybe in a couple of days and look at Daddy funny. She always looked so sad. Daddy looked sad too.

Harry knew why Mummy didn't come home. It was because she and Daddy were angry with each other. This made Harry sad, because Mummy and Daddy were sad without each other. Harry was sure they would make up if they only talked to each other. The problem was, they did not talk.

An idea suddenly came to Harry. Mummy and Daddy were angry with each other, but they still loved Harry. What if something happened...something that made them have to talk to each other? Oh...Harry wouldn't hurt himself or make himself sick...that would be stupid. But what if Harry were to...?

Harry looked up from where he was drawing in the dirt with a stick, just in time to see Hagrid throw a big pile of hay and hippogriff poop on Professor Kettleburn, who walked up at just the wrong time. Harry laughed hard, but Professor Kettleburn was yelling at Hagrid now.

Harry did not like it when people yelled, so he decided to go play in Hagrid's garden instead, as it was not far from the hippogriff and Hagrid could still see him.

When Harry walked the short distance to the garden, he stopped and looked to the thick stand of trees beyond. Harry took one last glance behind him. Professor Kettleburn was still yelling at Hagrid and they did not notice Harry walk off.

Harry knew he wasn't allowed in the Forbidden forest...at all. But if he just went in a little way and hid behind a tree...soon Daddy and Mummy would come. They would help each other find Harry and they wouldn't be angry with each other anymore.

Harry took a big breath and gathered up all his determination. It was a scary forest... but he was only going in a little ways.

The End.
Thank you, Aberforth and Alf by missyanne

***21 November, 1986-4:58 p.m. ***

Just as Harry crossed over the tree line, he heard Hagrid's panicked voice carry down the hill. "Where is 'ee? 'Ee was jus right there?"

Harry hid behind the biggest tree he could quickly find. He peeked his head from around the huge trunk in time to see Hagrid running towards his hut whilst Professor Kettleburn stumped as fast as he could back up to the castle.

Harry breathed a sigh of relief. Just as Professor Kettleburn began to make his way up to the castle, the Professor ran into Charlie, who was heading down to the Hippogriff paddock. Magical Creatures was Charlie's favourite subject and Harry had forgotten he was coming down to help Hagrid and the Professor after tea. Harry was going to miss talking to Charlie, but what he was doing was too important.

Harry saw the Professor say something to Charlie with an alarmed wave of his hand, and Charlie started running back up to the school. Good...maybe Daddy and Mummy would be there soon to find him. He was quite far into the forest, but he could still see Hagrid's hut and could even hear people if they spoke loud enough and boy, did Hagrid speak loud enough when he came back out of his hut after seeing Harry wasn't inside.

"HARRY...Where are ye lad?"

Harry saw Hagrid and Professor Kettleburn come towards the edge of the forest and he quickly ducked back behind his tree. They looked very worried, and Harry hated fooling them, but it wouldn't do to have Hagrid find him before Mummy and Daddy did.

Harry thought perhaps he could go just a little farther into the forest. Hagrid and the Professor were still talking urgently, but Harry knew they would come into the forest soon. Now was the time to sneak off and find a better hiding place.

***5:10 p.m. ***

Hanging from the top rung of the ladder in the student potion storage cupboard, Severus scowled to himself as he placed another expired phial of Boil Cure Potion into the box floating next to him. He really ought to have done this before term began, but at the moment it was busy work and it was a way to keep from going insane until Lucy arrived.

Enough was enough. After speaking to Aberforth the day before, Severus finally decided it was time to swallow his pride and ask Lucy to come home. It was getting rather ridiculous, actually. Severus could tell from the look in Lucy's eyes that she wanted to come home just as much as he wanted her there. But after the first couple days of cold shoulders on behalf of both of them, two simple words such as, 'I'm sorry' became increasingly harder to say.

After the length of time they stayed apart, Severus simply did not know where to start with the apologies, and had little faith in their efficacy to begin with. Where did one start to mend the breach between them?

After thinking about Aberforth's advice and failing to find sleep, Severus sat down at the small writing desk in his quarters and put quill to parchment. He wrote two missives to Lucy. The first was a simple request to meet him in his office after tea. The second was a poem.

Severus loved poetry, but he was rather inept when it came to creating his own, so he scoured his personal library for over two hours. He searched from Shakespeare to Cummings and failed to find words that moved him. He finally came across two poems by Neruda that brought him to tears. It was not the poems in their entirety, but only select stanzas. Rather than choosing one poem over the other, or including stanzas which he deemed inappropriate, Severus decided to take the only stanzas that spoke to him, and arranged them to say what his heart truly felt.

Apparently, Lucy received the package that Severus sent to her via house elf. Lucy wrote back saying she would meet him at 5:15. If all went well, Severus and Lucy would bring Harry home from Hagrid's around six o'clock—as a family.

Severus thought he could never thank Aberfor...Abe, enough.

***20 November, 1986-1:14 p.m. ***

"Here lad...drink this. Look as though you could use a Gillie."

Aberforth stood across the dusty bar from Severus and slid a tumbler with a finger of amber liquid towards the younger man. As much as Severus felt obliged to take the offering, without even lifting his head, Severus slid the lowball glass back to Lucy's grandfather.

"I'm sorry, Aberforth. I must return to the castle soon. I still have lessons to teach." Severus was not even certain how or why he had come to the Hog's Head after checking in on Harry. He had not stayed long enough to take his lunch with his son, but rather, in his melancholy, chose to go for a stroll for the rest of his break. How he ended up at Aberforth's doorstep, remained somewhat hazy. Severus now wished he had chosen to take his lunch with Harry and Hagrid. Severus wryly thought he would much rather tolerate Lucy's shrimp and grits than gag down Aberforth's onions and oatmeal.

As usual, the place was practically empty on the weekday afternoon. Aberforth only had a reasonable afternoon clientele on the weekends, when kalied wizards would rent one of his upper rooms to sleep off a bender.

"One won't do you aharm...and don't you think it's about time you called me 'Abe'? We're to be family soon, after all."

Severus scoffed and decided he needed the firewhiskey after all. The glass made a scraping noise across the worm-eaten wood as Severus slid the glass back towards himself. "It will be rather difficult to take our wedding vows if Lucy refuses to ever speak to me again. Just this morning, she chose to avoid me by refusing to take breakfast in the Great Hall."

Severus downed the firewhiskey in one belt, taking comfort in the slow burn as the liquor made its way down his gullet. If it wasn't for the fact that he had to return to Hogwarts within the hour, he would have readily indulged in another... or three.

Aberforth took the empty lowball and a cup of hot tea magically appeared in its place. "Now you can't be knowin' that. As I understand it, you've been as stubborn as an ass on that point yourself." There was no accusation in the old wizard's remark, only a wry statement of fact.

Severus was about to take a sip from the tea when he set it back down on its saucer a little too forcibly. The hot tea sloshed onto Severus' fingers, but he only swore to himself irritably before he said, "I admit...I was wrong to walk out on Lucy that night, but how the hell am I supposed to apologise if she keeps avoiding me as if I had Dragon Pox?"

Aberforth flicked his wand towards the back room behind the bar and Severus could see through the open door where the few dishes he had left from morning breakfast began to wash themselves. He then placed his bony arm on the table and leaned towards Severus. "Now tell me true, lad. How much of an effort had you made to seek her out?"

"How can you say I haven't sought her out?" Severus said defensively. "Wasn't I here this Sunday past, looking for her so I could apologise. She is the one who chose to hide in her damned scriptorium. She was already in a snit. Disturbing her privacy would have made matters worse."

"Can't be any worse than it is now, can it?"

Severus rolled his eyes and avoided Aberforth's gaze as he thought of several ways it could be worse.

Aberforth continued on unaffected. "According to the other half of this little dirdum, tis' you who have been doing the avoidin'."

Severus scoffed and looked at Aberforth in disbelief. "Me? She was the one who..."

Aberforth held up his hands in defence, "Now I didn't say Lucy isn't wrong. You both made mistakes, and hopefully she'll do her part to fix this mess too. It doesn't matter who takes the first step, as long as one of you does, because the longer you wait, the harder the fixin' will be."

"I'm willing to take that step, Aberforth," Severus dully admitted, "However, if she continues to avoid me, it may prove problematic."

"I don't think she's avoidin' you, son. Don't you think that maybe like you, she just don't know what to say?"

Severus reflected on Aberforth's words. True—more than once Severus caught Lucy staring at him. He would actually catch his breath when he thought he saw his own longing reflecting back at him in her sea-blue eyes. Then she would quickly avert her gaze, and Severus would think he simply imagined the entire exchange.

Severus bowed his head dejectedly, "How can I be certain she is no longer angry with me."

"Ach...There you go misunderstandin' again. I didn't say that. For all you know, she could still be...now what is that turn of phrase she uses...ah...'angrier than a wet hen.' But in all honesty, I think she is more hurt, than angry."

Severus' melancholy only deepened. The thought that he had hurt Lucy was far more upsetting than making her angry.

As if the old man had read his mind, Aberforth's bony hand reached out to Severus', which was lying flat atop the bar, and patted it in understanding. "I know—tis' hard to think we hurt those we love, but like it or not, tis' somethin' we all do from time to time." When Severus did not answer, but only stared forlornly into his tea, Aberforth continued, "If you're ever goin' to get her back, lad, you need to stop yammerin' and do somethin' about it."

Severus' gaze shot up to the old wizard. What was he supposed to 'do?'

The older man read Severus' uncharacteristically open expression, "First—you need to get past your stubborn pride and overcome your irrational fears."

Irrational? There was nothing irrational about fearing he could lose Lucy forever due to his hot temper. He had already lost Lily for that very reason, all those years ago. Severus opened his mouth to say something, but Aberforth was talking too fast for Severus to get a word in edgewise.

"Trust me—I know how you feel. You don't honestly think Ella and I went through over eighty years of marriage without a nary a fight, do you? This is all new to you and Lucy—that's all. It's your first fight—and there will be others, the two of you just need to learn how to fight the right way. Do that and the two of you will have a long and happy life together, just as Ella and me did."

Severus was now more confused than ever. "You mean to tell me, if Lucy and I are going to be happy, we must learn to fight?"

"I said you must fight the right way," Aberforth emphasised, "Which means you can't go runnin' away from your wife every time an argument goes south. You have to see your problems through...together," Aberforth said pointedly. "Remember—you will be promisin' for better or for worse. Don't go stompin' out the door without letting her know that you will be home. Don't hide the feelings that truly matter from your wife. Continue to do things of that sort, then one day, she might not let you back in."

Severus swallowed the last of his tea his brows drawn down pensively. As he put down his cup and thought on Lucy's grandfather's words, for the first time since Lucy Disaparated from his garden gate, Severus honestly believed that he and Lucy could overcome their problems. Severus knew they only needed to talk the matter through, but until that moment he no idea how to approach the matter. Yes, Lucy had not handled the situation any more admirably than he had; however, it was his wounded pride that ignited the conflagration in the beginning. It was for Severus to forego his pride and make the initial apology.

As far as Severus was concerned, at this point, he was not concerned if Lucy apologised or not, as long as she came back to him. Ever since she left, Severus had felt as if he were seperted from an important part of his body, unable to connect with everyone and everything around him. At the moment, Harry was his one purpose that kept him grounded at all. He needed Lucy to end his discombobulation.

It wasn't just Severus that needed Lucy, Harry did as well. Severus was running out of excuses as to why Lucy had yet to come home and the boy's sadness was every bit as palpable as his own. Harry wanted his mummy. Severus knew that his hot words had pushed her away before Lucy had a chance to explore her new role in his or the boy's life.

It was time to end this madness.

Severus arose from his chair and took out his money pouch to pay for the whiskey and tea, and Aberforth raised his hand in protest. "Your Galleons are no good here, Severus. What makes you think I'd charge my own great-grandson?"

Aberforth's blue eyes twinkled from over his half-moon glasses as he looked at Severus. It was the only trait of the old wizard's to give away that he was of any relation to the Hogwarts' Headmaster. But Aberforth's similar expression was neither irritating nor patronising, rather, it was warm and genuine. For the first time in as long as he could remember, Severus truly felt as if he were part of a greater whole...a member of a true family.

Severus gave the elder wizard a nod of thanks and then did something he had only done in the presence of Harry and Lucy...he smiled. "Thank you, Aberfor...Abe for... everything."

Aberforth rewarded Severus with one of his own rare smiles, "That is what family is for."

Severus made way to the tavern door and stepped aside to allow a new patron through. As he began to close the door behind him, Aberforth called out. "Oh Severus...there is one exception to that 'make your feelings known' rule."

Severus did not ask for elaboration, but simply turned and raised an eyebrow in curiosity.

"If she ever asks you if her new robes make her look fat, the customary answer is, 'Of course not, darling. You look as lovely as ever.'" Aberforth had such a cheeky grin on his face as to make the Cheshire cat proud.

Severus stifled his 'guffaw' as the new patron slapped his hand on the bar and shouted, "Sage advice, if there ever be any! Gimme a pint of your finest ale, 'keep!"

***21 November, 1986-5:14 p.m. ***

Lucy hesitated and knocked on the open door to the storage room before she tentatively put her head around the corner. "Severus?"

He was atop a ladder, incongruously in his frockcoat as he put old potions into a wooden box floating beside him. She caught her breath at the sight of him. She had missed him desperately over the past few days. She had not realised even in the short time they had known each other just exactly how much he had come to mean to her. She had come to realise as she sat alone in her scriptorium at night, carefully analysing ancient pigment and text she knew her life would be empty without him. Her talk with Alf, the morning before, made her realise how pig-headed she had been.

***20 November, 1986-7:42 a.m. ***

Pawpaw had gone through the extra effort to make a traditional fry-up for Lucy that morning. In all honesty, she had no appetite, however for the sake of her baby, she forced herself to eat her breakfast. She wasn't suffering from morning sickness. She had no need for those potions for three weeks now, but she could no longer sit beside Harry and Severus and pretend that nothing was wrong. She had already been a blubbering mess throughout most of her pregnancy, but today Lucy felt so miserable, she was certain she would break down in front of the entire Great Hall if she had to endure another silent breakfast with Severus.

Lucy loved Harry with all of her heart, but there is only so much stimulating conversation one can engage in with a six year old. She sat at the table with her barely touched breakfast before her read the Prophet for no other reason than to have something to hide behind.

She read that Sirius Black's family fortune had been restored and that the Ministry had paid him an undisclosed amount in reparations. Currently, he had resumed his residence in his bachelor flat in Soho, and was very popular amongst the young witches that looked upon him as a tragic hero. Lucy was glad to see that an innocent man had his life back, but the unabashed hero worship made her want to vomit.

"Are you two still not talking?"

Lucy looked up from the table in surprise to find Alf standing over her. He was dressed in a rather stylish set of slate-grey casual business robes. He had his violin case with him. Lucy had nearly forgotten that this was the morning of his audition. Although Alf had initially refused, Severus had insisted upon paying him for watching over her and Harry during her convalescence. Severus had explained that it was his intention to pay Alf from the beginning and if he hoped to ever watch over Harry again, Alf would take the money.

She sniffed, then took her napkin and dried her eyes. She hadn't realised she had even been crying. Lucy said nothing as Alf set his instrument on the floor, and with the scrape of wood against stone, pulled out the chair across from Lucy and joined her at the table.

"Oh...did you want something before you leave for London?" Pawpaw was out feeding his goats and Lucy felt the responsibility to play hostess in his absence. Pawpaw had only three other guests that morning. Two had already left and one was still upstairs asleep. Lucy also hoped to divert Alf's attention away from her problem by changing the subject. "Lovely suit. Did you buy it for the audition?"

Alf waved off the offer. "That's quite alright. I know where the kitchen is and I don't think I could hold anything down today if I tried," he said offhandedly. "Nice try, by the way."

"Pardon me?" Lucy said as unaffectedly as she could before taking a too big of a bite of tomato. She tried, but failed, to keep from grimacing as she chewed. Everything tasted off. Even Pawpaw's normally lovely and silk-like eggs had tasted like sawdust. She swallowed it down hard and took a deep swig of orange juice before she choked out her retort. "Alf...I have no idea what you are talking about."

Alf said sardonically, "Of course you don't, Lucy. Why don't you just talk to him?"

Lucy put down her fork a bit forcibly. She could no longer pretend she did not understand Alf and the pain the subject brought her was apparent in her voice. "Because he doesn't want to talk to me Alf. Obviously he does believe I am to blame for what happened to Harry."

Alf shook his head to the contrary, "I don't believe that at all. I think he's just feeling guilty about what he has done to you and doesn't know what to say."

"Severus has never been at a loss for words, Alf."

"Neither have you, yet here you are, alone, having your breakfast in your grandfather's pub instead of the Great Hall because you are too frightened to face Severus."

"I am not afraid to see Severus," Lucy irritably denied, then after another moment her indignation deflated. "I just don't know what to say to him anymore. Sometimes, I think I can see his apology in his eyes," she said with a gusty sigh, "and then it's gone, and I think I must have imagined it all."

Alf reached across the table and took both of Lucy's hands before he said sympathetically, "Lucy, if you're having so much trouble coming up with the right words, how do you think Severus must feel? This is not the first time he took his temper out on someone he loved because of Sirius." He pulled his hands away from Lucy and said regretfully,"You, no doubt, know what happened the last time."

"He thinks he's going to lose me like he did Lily," she mumbled the realisation mostly to herself.

Remus nodded in agreement, "And you refusing to speak to him must only be reinforcing that thought. Lucy, I've known...or at least, thought I have known, Severus since we were children. He has changed in many ways—for the better, mind you- however, the one thing that has not changed is his pride. He is the first to berate himself when he knows he is wrong, and the man who came here Sunday frantically looking for you was ashamed of himself for what he had said and done."

Lucy turned her face away from Alf, and wiped a stay tear away with her fingers. "He's not the only one who is ashamed." She took a deep breath to compose herself and said, "I should have never have left, Alf. What I did was worse than what Lily had ever done. I not only ran out on Severus, I ran out on Harry as well."

Alf choked back his own grief before he said, "Take it from someone who was there, Lucy. Lily Potter had her own regrets over Severus and she took them to her grave." As if shaking off the maudlin thought, he said only somewhat more brightly, "You, however, are older—thus, presumably, wiser—and you have the opportunity to make amends."

"I don't know what to say to him, Alf. Where do I begin?"

"What do you want to say to him?"

"That I'm sorry I ran out on him and Harry, and that I should have given him the chance to explain before making assumptions."

Alf raised his hands as if she had just stated the obvious. "Well, there you go then. That seems as good a thing to say as any." He arose from the table and picked up his violin case. Lucy arose from her chair as, and reached up to wrap her arms around his neck. He leaned his head down far enough so she could plant a kiss on his cheek.

Lucy smiled up at him, feeling optimistic for the first time that week. "Thank you, Alf. You're a great friend to the both of us."

Lucy allowed him to extract himself from her embrace. He was blushing when he said, "I couldn't be otherwise...It was your family who gave me a second chance at a life, and though Severus will never admit it, he gave me the chance to redeem myself to him, for that alone, I am eternally grateful." Alf's brow furrowed as he thought on what he just said. "Please don't tell Severus I said that."

Lucy jokingly looked around, as if they were being spied upon and she whispered, "Your secret is safe with me. Oh...I almost forgot. Daddy and Mama want me to invite you to join us in Charleston for Christmas. Do say you'll come."

"Not this year, poppet. I do love Charleston, but I haven't spent Christmas with my family in years and I'm joining my parents and sister on the Isle of Wight this year."

"It sounds lovely, I'll be sure to send your regrets to Daddy and Mama."

Lucy walked along with Alf to the tavern door. "Good luck with your audition. I just know you will be brilliant.

"Thank you, love." Alf turned to her and put a hand on her shoulder. "Talk to Severus...I promise you everything will be fine. He loves you very much."

Lucy nodded her head, "I'll write him tonight and ask to meet tomorrow evening. I have quiz papers to finish grading tonight that my students are expecting tomorrow. I know everything will be fine," she said with as much confidence as she could muster.

***21 November, 1986-5:15 p.m. ***

Lucy had been in the middle of writing her letter to Severus, when she received the package from him the night before. First was a letter was very similar to the one she had been writing, asking to meet the following day. Lucy could gather from the request what Severus' state of mind was, but in the small box, she found her answer...and Severus left no room for uncertainty.

Within the cardboard box, she found a small cylindrical box made of birch. Burnt into the wood was a simple inscription... 'SSL'.The middle 'S' was twice again as large as the outer letters. When she slid off the top, inside was a curved potion's phial, the type typically used for Veritserum, but it contained no potion, instead, she noticed a tiny parchment rolled within. Lucy removed the stopper and turned the phial on end to remove the tiny parchment. It was sealed with green wax and the seal of the Head of Slytherin House. The seal was so small that Lucy could barely discern the details.

Lucy wondered how she was going to possibly read the parchment, even with her glasses on. She did not have to wonder long, because when she broke the seal, she jumped back as the parchment grew to the size of standard stationary. When Lucy read the words, scrawled out in Severus' nearly illegible handwriting, she cried for nearly an hour:

I can write the saddest verses tonight
To think that I do not have her. To feel that I have lost her.

To hear the immense night, more immense without her.
And the verse that falls onto my soul like dew onto grass.

What difference does it make if my love could not keep her.
The night is full of stars, and she is not with me.

That is all. In the distance someone sings. In the distance.
My soul is not at peace with having lost her.

As if to bring her closer, my gaze searches for her.
My heart searches for her, and she is not with me.

Lucy, I love you...

I love you without knowing how, or when
or from where,
I love you directly without problems or pride:
I love you like this because I do not know any other way
to love.
Except in this form, where there is no I nor you.
so close, that your hand upon my chest is mine,
so close, that you close your eyes with my dreams.

~S
Lucy, although the words are not wholly mine, please know that the sentiment is.

As she stood in the doorway and waited for Severus to acknowledge her presence, she chuckled internally that the scholar in Severus had even thought to acknowledge Pablo Neruda for the prose. But none of that mattered. Severus still loved her and she would go home with him tonight.

He turned and looked down from his perch, the stress of the last few days, etched firmly in the creases beside his mouth and in the line between his brows. His relief at seeing her was written on his face and evident in his voice when he said, "Lucy...you came."

She watched as his lithe form descended the ladder and thought she could never get enough of seeing his body in motion. Before she realised, he was standing before Lucy, looking down at her. He was breathing heavily but Lucy did not know if it was from physical exertion or simple nervousness. She felt a flush of heat rush over her from the nearness of him.

Lucy opened her mouth to say something, but Severus spoke first. "Lucy...I need to tell you I'm ..."

"Professor Snape! Professor Snape!"

Severus looked past Lucy and she turned around to see Charlie Weasley gasping for breath as he leaned over and supported himself against one of the lab tables.

Lucy hurried over to the boy, whose milky skin had taken on the blotchy red of all gingers after exertion. He looked as if he would perish from heat despite the fact that it was chilly outside.

"Charlie," Lucy said forgetting formality, "Take a breath and tell us what is the matter."

Charlie kept shaking his head, gasping for breath as he tried to form is words.

Severus' questioning gaze sought Lucy's telegraphing his own sense of urgency. He seemed to be asking, Was someone, injured? In the hospital? Was Poppy in need of a special potion?

When Charlie did finally answer, Lucy and Severus found themselves thrust in the midst of a new nightmare.

"It's Harry...Harry is gone."

The End.
End Notes:
The poetry excerpts above were extracted and translated from: 'Puedo escribir los versos más tistes' from "Veinte Poemas de Amor y Canción Desesperada" and 'No te amo como si fueras rosa' from "Cien Sonetos de Amor," by Pablo Neruda.
The Greatest Magic by missyanne

***21 November, 1986-5:17 p.m. ***

Einstein was right—time truly was relative. If not, why was it that during life's most joyous occasions, time was fleeting and in the midst of our living Hell, it seemed to stop all together? Severus wasn't too sure that his heart could take much more. Just as he was about to emerge from one nightmare, he was thrown into another.

In what had only been a couple of minutes, but which felt like forever, Charlie had recovered from his sprint up to the castle and down to the dungeons—a feat only possible with youth, related Irwin Kettleburn's version of the events that led up to Harry's disappearance, and bolted out of Severus' classroom door to inform the Headmaster of what had happened without Severus having to prompt him.

Severus had not yet apologised to Lucy, but at the moment, it was the furthest thing from either of their minds. They had to find their son and time was of the essence. It would be another night of near-freezing temperatures and this time of year it would be completely dark by the time they reached Hagrid's hut.

Severus took Lucy by the arm and attempted to hurry out the door. He was caught off guard when she refused to accompany him.

"Go, Severus," she said urgently. "I'll only slow you down."

"Don't be ridicu..."

"Severus, there's no time—just GO!" This time Lucy practically shoved him out the door. He hated to leave her, but she was right—he would be faster without her.

Damn those Anti-Apparition Wards.

He turned to her with a sudden thought and said, "Lucy—my broom is above my mantle. Take it, and meet me there!"

He could barely make out her 'thank you' as she turned and hurried towards his office and he sped down the corridor to and up to the grounds in order to find their son.

If one could call it fortunate, Severus was almost one hundred percent certain where Harry had gone. No one could Apparate or Disapparate from the grounds, so kidnapping was unlikely. Harry did not have time to wander down to the Black Lake or back up to the castle unseen, and even Kettleburn had enough sense to notice if a Hebridean Black came swooping out of the sky—which led to the only logical conclusion—Harry had wandered into the Forbidden Forest.


*Foosh*

Lucy stepped out of the green flames in Severus' Floo just long enough to snatch his broom from its mount from above the mantle. She did not take the time to dwell upon the fact that this was the first time she had stepped into his quarters since before the incident that disabled her. With Severus' broom in hand, she grabbed a handful of Floo powder from the box, stepped back into the hearth, threw down the sparkling powder and cried out, "Lucille O'Conner's office!"

Upon stepping out from the Floo in her office, Lucy ran out of her classroom and down the short corridor that led to the interior courtyard.

Despite the early hour, night had settled heavily about the castle. The sky was overcast and the only illumination was coming from the interior lights of the castle.

Lucy had to steel her nerves before she mounted the broom. She hated flying. Whenever her family flew across the Atlantic on Muggle airplanes, her daddy always had to give her a Calming Draught before the flight. She learned how to fly on a broom as part of her compulsory education, but she still hated the sensation of not having her feet planted on terra firma. Her friend Chris had often repeated the cliché that there was less of a chance of dying in a plane crash than in a car crash and Lucy always countered that argument by saying that she would much rather take her chances in a car, because she did not have 30,000 feet in which to contemplate her death.

The darkness only increased her anxiety. Lucy did not have the nerve or the skill to fly with one hand and hold out a wand light before her with the other.

She overcame her otherwise petrifying fear by reminding herself that Harry needed her. She paused only long enough to consider using her globe to determine where Harry might have gone, but quickly decided that it would take too long. She would need an exact time and there was only one logical place Harry could be—the Forbidden Forest.


As soon as Harry was out of sight and earshot of Hagrid's hut, he decided that hiding in the forest was not such a good idea after all. It was dark...very dark. It was so dark, Harry couldn't tell if he was still on the path or not. He tried to turn around and go back to the edge of the forest, but the trip back seemed to be a whole lot longer than the trip in. Harry even tried to call for help a couple of times only to find that his voice had failed him. Perhaps it was for the best. His daddy had told him that some very dangerous creatures lived inside the forest that could hurt little boys. If he started yelling, he might attract one of them.

It was also getting very cold and suddenly even his heavy wool jumper did not seem to be warm enough. Before the light had completely failed him, Harry was able to see puffs of his own breath in little silver clouds. Normally he would have thought them amazing, but now he only wanted to be warm and away from those fascinating little clouds. More than anything in the world, Harry hoped his daddy and mummy would find him...soon. The forest was so very big and he was so very little. He just wanted to go home.

All Harry could think to do was to continue to walk on until he found somebody or someone—preferably a human someone- found him. The forest was quiet, so quiet that it made the trip even scarier. The only sound Harry had for company was his own footsteps crunching the dead leaves on the forest floor. Sometimes he would walk slowly, so to make as little sound as possible, as he'd read the wild Indians used to do in America. Other times, he would start running because he was certain he heard something following him, hiding in the trees behind him. One time Harry was sure he heard something following him and he ran so quickly he had not seen the big tree root sticking up above the ground. He tripped over it and the momentum sent him tumbling down a nearby hill.

Luckily, Harry was not hurt too badly. He was scratched up, his wrist was swollen from trying to break his fall and he had torn a knee in his trousers and both sleeves of his jumper, but otherwise, he was no worse for wear. He would not allow himself the comfort of tears. He was a big boy, and tears were for babies.

Harry thought he managed to get away from whatever had been following him but before long, he was certain he heard the oddly muffled clip-clopping of footsteps behind him again. He did not know what it was, but he was fairly certain it was not a 'who.' Whatever was behind him, sounded as though it had more than two legs. He thought with a sudden panicky jolt of awareness that there may even be more than one creature.

Fear over came Harry and once again and he began to run as fast as he could. He ran as fast as his short legs could carry him. The sound of his own hurried breathing as he ran filled his hearing, his attention was occupied solely by his in-out, in-out breaths.

Harry did not know how far or for how long he had run. He looked over his shoulder and ducked behind a solid mass of black vines. Harry leaned back against the solid wall and sighed as he allowed himself a chance to relax, if only for a little bit.

He felt something squirm behind his back. It couldn't be a snake, as he did not hear one speak. Besides—snakes were asleep this time of year. Harry scrambled away from the bush and backed up into a stone, about the size of a Quaffle, sticking up out of the ground. He was looking up and down the solid wall of vines to see what could have squirmed behind his back.

In his distraction, Harry never noticed the subtle movement beneath the forest litter. He did not see the tentacle-like vine emerge to snake its way around his calf. It wasn't until the Devil's Snare was certain its victim had no chance of escape, did its tentacle suddenly constrict and began to attempt to drag its prey home.

"Wha...wha...ARRRHHH!" Harry screamed at the top of his lungs. The plant was going to eat him! He wrapped his arms around the stone and hung on for dear life. He began scream, "GET OFF ME—GET OFF ME!" as he frantically kicked at the vine with his free leg. Suddenly, a second tentacle snapped out from the bush, no longer intent on subterfuge. It wrapped itself around both of Harry's legs and yanked twice as hard.

Harry was growing exhausted from his fight and this new assault was more than his body could take. He lost his grip on the rock and clawed at the dirt and refuge to find any purchase, in a desperate attempt to keep from being dragged in, and found none. He could see his fingers leave tracks in the forest floor like claw marks. With everything his little body had left in him, Harry gave one final high-pitched scream—"DADDYYYYYY!"


Severus' nerves were on fire with frustration. It had taken entirely too long to organise the search parties. By the time Charlie Weasley had informed Severus and Lucy that Harry was missing, his son had been gone for nearly twenty minutes. It took nearly another ten to span the excruciating distance between the dungeons and Hargid's hut.

Due to the half-giant's ban on magic, his home could not be connected to the Floo Network. Hagrid always used the Floo in Albus' office for school business. Thus, Severus and the staff had to make its way down to the forest the old-fashioned way—by foot.

Ironically, upon his arrival to Hagrid's, Severus discovered because she had travelled by broom, Lucy was the first to reach the scene of Harry's disappearance. Severus had to hunt her down. She wasted no time and had already cast a Point Me charm. She was attempting to make her way into the forest when Severus and the rest of the staff arrived.

Hagrid had started a large bonfire between the front of his house and the edge of the forest. If Harry was close by, he could see the beacon through the forest growth. It also acted as a beacon for the adults making their way from the castle.

Severus could understand Lucy's need to do something, but in all honesty, Merlin forbid, something was to happen to Harry, he would need her more than ever, and if something were to happen to both of the people he loved, Severus knew he'd probably turn his wand on himself.

"Severus, please. I can't just sit here and do nothing while Harry is..."

"Lucy—please stay here. If Harry wanders back this way he will need you."

Lucy pleaded, "I'm a powerful witch, Severus. I can be of more help in the search."

"I have no doubt of it, Lucy," Severus concurred, "But if something were to happen to you in the forest, we may not get you to Poppy in time. And honestly, worrying about you and the baby out in the forest will be too distracting."

Lucy nodded her head in reluctant agreement. She grudgingly had to admit that she was in no condition to trudge around the forest, and all efforts needed to be focused on Harry.

Before he left into the forest with Hagrid, Severus pulled Lucy to him and kissed her. "I will find our son, Lucy."

The search parties used the general direction from Lucy's Point Me spell and spread out in a line. Aberforth had arrived and was keeping Lucy company at Hagrid's. Severus was paired with Hagrid as the half-giant, who was shedding copious amounts of tears, felt responsible for what had happened and he was the most familiar with the forest.

Severus did feel bitterly angry towards the gamekeeper and Kettleburn, however it was not the time for accusations and Hagrid was indeed, the most familiar with the forest.

They had already managed to pick up on Harry's trail about one hundred yards in. The air was filled with the voices of his colleagues calling out to his son.

"Look here, Pr'fessor."

Hagrid was behind a large Scotch pine. Severus knelt down and cast the light from his wand into the gloom behind the tree. In the partially exposed soil was a definite imprint of a small child's trainer. Severus was impressed at the gamekeeper's ability to notice such minuet details in the near pitch-darkness. He wondered if there had ever been anyone as intimately familiar with the dark forest as his companion.

Severus arose and scanned the surrounding area. The bright-bluish light emitting from his wand swept over the ground. He muttered an oath as he realised that had they been conducting the search by light of day, the gamekeeper would have found Harry's trail almost immediately.

After moments of near fruitless searching in which Severus despaired of ever seeing his son alive, Hagrid was once again able to spot something. "There, Pr'fessor."

Severus too spotted the path where the forest floor had been disturbed. "Can you tell if anything was chasing him?" From the long desistance between the foot falls, it was apparent that Harry had been running.

"Don' look teh be, sir."

Severus and Hagrid continued to follow the trail for quite a way. It looked as though that Harry may have tried to double back at some point but the prints took them east, rather than south. His prints never came back to the main trail. Severus cast another Point Me, charm, and blood suddenly froze, as off in the far distance, he heard Harry's faint, yet blood-curdling scream. "Daddyyy!"

Severus' eyes darted up to Hagrid's in panic. "This way! We may be faster if I carry yeh, Pr' fessor."

Severus was caught off-guard as Hagrid suddenly swept him up and nearly tossed him onto his back. Severus was about to protest to the indignity, but thought better of it as the ground shook with Hagrid's ground-eating, thunderous strides. Hagrid was correct, Severus would have never have been able to keep up with the half-giant at a full run. He could only trust that Hagrid knew where he was going, as Severus was hanging onto his mouldy, mole-skin coat for dear life with both hands.

Hagrid came to a sudden stop. Severus heard Hagrid utter a frightened, "Oh-no."

Sensing that Hagrid was not going anywhere and not knowing where they where or what had the gamekeeper so upset, Severus jumped down from his back.

Severus was more frightened than he had ever been in his life as he was unsure as to what he would see as he slowly came around to Hagrid's side. Severus cast his wand and uttered, "Lumos Maxima," and it seemed the entire forest lit up before them.

They were high atop a hill and it was obvious that someone had fallen down it recently. However that was now the least of Severus' concerns. Off in the distance, he could hear the child's frightened screams and see the shrivelling and smoking plant in his wand light as the mass of Devil's Snare combusted.

"Harry—HARRY!"

Keeping his wand pointed in the direction of the demon vine, Severus threw caution aside and jumped down the hill. He turned to his side and slid down the leaf covered slope. When he came to the bottom, Hagrid was already there waiting to help him up.

Severus threw off Hagrid's aid and, he bounded off the forest floor and ran towards the tangle of the noxious weed with his wand held out in front of him as he frantically incanted, "Lumos Maxima—LUMOS MAXIMALUMOS MAXIMA!"

The white light was so intense that Severus had to avert his own eyes and cease the spell after realising that he might blind Harry if he were entangled somewhere within the plant. He dropped to his knees in the middle of his dead run and slid to a stop in front over the carnivorous vine.

Severus had killed it. The plant was still smoking from the force of Severus' spell and its once fibrous vines were now nothing but ashen hulls. He called out to his son as the carnage before him turned to dust in his hands, "Harry...Harry..."

His panic escalated when he was about half way through destroying the remnants of the Devil's Snare in his search. Entangled amongst what was once a rather thick tentacle was a piece of cloth torn from a child's trouser. But where was Harry? He should be there...even if it was just his bod...

Severus renewed his search in earnest as Hagrid went around the burnt out vine to investigate the opposite side for any sign of the child. Almost immediately he said, "Ee's not here,Pr'fessor."

Severus immediately stopped his search, but before he could ask the gamekeeper if he was certain, Hagrid answered his question by elaborating, "Som'in else got to 'im first."

"What?" There were few scenarios that Severus could imagine worse than the one he was in now. There was a rumour of an Acromantula's lair somewhere deep within the forest. Had one of them spotted Harry struggling with the Devil's Snare and saw him as easy prey? A smaller one would have become prey to the plant itself, however, had the beast been large enough, it could have easily overpowered the vine.

For the first time since they stumbled across the gorge, Severus had hope that Harry was still alive. Hagrid was pointing to the ground and Severus' heart sank when he realised he was looking at a Centaur's arrows.

There were at least a dozen charred arrows scattered across the forest floor, many were still warm from the flames that had only recently died out. The ground was too moist to allow the flames to live for long. Unshod hoof prints left by no less than two Centaurs were all about the area.

Severus thought he might sick up. There was a narrow swath of black soil through the leaf litter and what looked to be claw marks deep in the soil where Harry had attempted to escape capture. His six-year old son had obviously fought for his life in this very spot and Severus had not been there to save him.

Hagrid was pointing somewhere in the distance off to the southwest. "It looks as though their trail goes off in this direction."

Just as Severus pointed his wand-light to follow the trail, off in the far distance a point of brilliant white light was growing larger by the second. Even from this distance, Severus was able to recognise the Headmaster's Patronus.

The silvery expression of Albus' fiery bird stopped and hovered before Severus. The Headmaster's voice arose from the ghostly form, "He has been found safe. Follow my Phoenix. We will be waiting."

Just at that moment, a fiery bust of red sparks erupted high above the trees. It was the signal to the rest of the search party, relaying the information that Harry had been found. The source of the display came from the same direction that the Centaurs had gone.

Without a word, Severus chased after the Headmaster's retreating Patronus as if his life depended on it...because it did.


After running for nearly fifteen minutes with no clue as to where he was going and trusting only the Phoenix would lead him in the right direction, Severus stopped when he spotted a gathering of Centaurs and wizards at the top of a sloping rise.

There were two Centaurs, the first, with fiery red hair and chestnut body, looked to be about Severus' age. Strapped across his shoulder was an empty quiver and a bow. The Palomino with silver blond hair, was a bit younger, perhaps a young adult just out of his adolescence.

They were in an intense conversation with Albus and Pomona.

For the first time in hours, Severus felt he could breathe again. He actually wondered if he had been holding his breath during the entire search for Harry. But now, there was his son—encrusted in leaves, dirt, sweat, and even possibly blood, clinging to Albus' robes and sobbing into the Headmaster's once-white beard. Pomona was 'tutting' over the boy, trying to get him to look up so she could wipe his face with a cold flannel she had conjured.

"Harry!"

Harry turned his head when heard his father's cry. His arms reached out for Severus as if he were still in need of saving.

Albus passed the little boy into Severus' arms. Severus ran his hands through Harry's hair and across his arms and legs, trying to assure himself that his son was still in one piece. Between Harry's tears and Severus' kisses on the boy's dirty cheek, Severus managed to choke out between his own pent up tears. "Whatever possessed you to do such a foolish thing?" he asked with a little jostle to the boy's clinging body and then he pulled Harry tight to him again. He felt as if he would never let him go.

Severus was too relieved at the moment to be angry, but he knew he would be once the initial shock wore off.

Harry lifted his head from Severus' shoulder and sniffed, "Am I in very bad trouble?"

Severus brushed a strand of Harry's fringe away from a cut on the child's forehead. "What do you think?"

Harry muttered a weak, "Uh-oh," then buried his head back under his daddy's chin.

"'Uh-oh,' indeed."


Severus could not have thanked the Centaurs enough, especially the young one, Firenze. It was he who chose to look after the wandering 'man-foal.' The chestnut—Ronan, needed to thank his lucky stars that the stars were in proper alignment or whatever claptrap he believed that made him decide that was prudent to help Harry.

Apparently they had been following the child almost from the time he had entered the forest. Centaurs did not usually involve themselves in the affairs of wizards, however, for some reason that was logical only to the Centaurs, they believed Harry to be a special case.

They thought 'the man-colt' may have had a special purpose for wandering into the forest alone. They had never seen one so young in the forest, perhaps it was a sort of rite of passage that most young ones undertook before they arrived at Hogwarts. It was only when Harry had literally stumbled into the gorge and into the Devil's Snare that they decided to intervene and shot their flaming arrows at the plant to entice it to let go of the boy.

Had Harry continued to stray further, he would have come across the lair of Aragog and Mosag, a mating pair of Acromantulas. According to Hagrid, the adults may not have harmed Harry—a notion that Severus would never lay wager on—however, there would have been no rescue from their children.

Firenze personally carried a rather frightened and battered Harry out of the gorge. Albus and Pomona were following their own Point Me spell, when they happened upon Harry and the Centaurs.

Severus began to relax further as the party approached the edge of the forest. Through the trees, the bon fire in front of Hagrid's was still burning as a bright beacon on that cold autumn night, and before long, Severus could see Lucy, anxiously pacing to and fro and biting her nails down to the quick, as she was prone to do when she was exceedingly nervous. The other search teams had already found their way back and were gathered in small groups, talking amongst themselves.

Aberforth, Remus, and Minerva watched Lucy warily from Hagrid's doorstep. Apparently, Lucy had not been happy about being left out of the search party and the three haggard souls looked as though they had been on the receiving end of her short fuse.

"Here we are. Home at last," announced Albus as the finally made their way past the tree line.

Lucy stopped her pacing at once at looked up. The tension etched on her face instantly melted away into relief as she saw Severus emerge from the forest with Harry.

Harry looked up from Severus' shoulder and began to cry again as he saw Lucy run towards them. As Harry reached out for his mummy, Severus put the boy down.

Lucy went to her knees, reaching out for Harry, and Harry ran straight into her welcoming arms. Just as Severus had done, she began to apply kisses to Harry's grubby little face and checked him over to insure that he was all there.

"I'm sorry, Mummy. I didn't mean to get lost," Harry cried into her hair.

Lucy pulled Harry forward, held his face between her hands, and looked into his eyes. "You didn't mean to get...," she pulled him back into her embrace, "Oh—you naughty little boy," she cried between her exasperated sobs, "You have no idea how worried we were."

Severus approached his son and his future wife, and knelt down in the grass with them. He embraced and kissed them both, not caring in the least that nearly every adult at Hogwarts was witness to tender reunion before them.


Poppy and Albus had long since left. The matron had determined that Harry had miraculously come out of the Forbidden Forest with little more than a few bumps and scrapes...and one huge case of fright and remorse.

Lucy had seen to it that Harry had taken his bath and readied him for bed, whilst Severus staved off the parade of concerned colleagues that darkened his chamber door for the next hour.

Bill Weasley had taken advantage of his position of prefect, and along with his younger brother Charlie came knocking on Severus' chamber door—after curfew, to inquire about the their little friend. Despite his annoyance and his lecture to the elder Weasley brother about taking advantage of authority, Severus had conveniently forgotten to deduct the Gryffindors House points.

It was nearly eleven o'clock when Severus and Lucy had finally found some peace and quiet for themselves and Harry had finally fallen asleep. However, the conversation was not pleasant.

"You do realise we will have to punish him. We can't sweep this under the rug." Lucy said without prelude.

Severus paced in front of the fireplace his arms folded protectively across his chest. Lucy sat on the couch, indulging herself with a half-glass of red wine to calm her nerves. This was not a topic Severus wanted to broach, however, Lucy was right. This infraction could not pass unnoticed.

"I'm at a loss for what to do," he admitted. "Harry has never acted out in such a grand way before."

"Be that as it may, I'm afraid as the years pass, we are going to see acts of rebellion to make this look like...if you will forgive the pun—child's play," Lucy said.

Harry had confessed to them earlier that his entire motive or running away into the forest, was some type of elaborate scheme to reunite Severus and Lucy. Unfortunately, if the boy only waited another forty-five minutes he could have saved himself—and the entire staff of Hogwarts—the trouble.

Severus looked at Lucy and gave a gusty sigh. He was tired and sore, and he was in no mood to deal with any more turmoil tonight. As if reading his mind, Lucy arose from the sofa and said, "Why don't you take a hot bath and relax before bed. We can talk about this tomorrow."

Severus touched her sweat-matted hair with the tips of his fingers. "Does this mean that you will stay?"

"Only if you take a bath." Lucy cast her eyes downward and gave an amused snort. "You are rather smelly."

Severus took Lucy by complete surprise when he pulled her tight against him and started rubbing his grimy body against her. She could not help but to laugh despite her protest. "Hey! Stop that, you...you...man!"

Some of the dirt and sweat that was attached to his dark clothing was now smeared across the front of her beige top. Severus kissed her on her nose and cheekily replied, "I was last time I checked the equipment." Knowing when to make a strategic retreat, Severus quickly bolted down the corridor and into the bathroom, narrowly avoiding her Stinging Hex as he shut the door behind him.


Lucy slowly opened the bathroom door without knocking. In one arm, she carried a pair of pyjamas, two bathrobes, and two large, thick bath towels. She intended to take a shower after Severus finished his bath. She kept the door open to listen for the sound of a distressed six-year-old.

At first she was confused. Severus was nowhere to be seen. Then she heard the water slosh from within the large claw-foot tub and Severus emerged, still sitting, and wiping the water from his eyes.

"I envy you," she lamented as she put his effects on top of the closed commode. "I can't wait until I can take a long soak in a hot bath again."

She noticed that the shampoo caddy was still hanging on the shower head. She took it, went around the tub and crouched down behind Severus. He leaned his head back to look at her. He gave a small hopeful smile and said, "There is plenty of room for two."

"No can do," Lucy said as she poured the amber shampoo into her hand, then began to lather Severus' head. "I enjoy my baths too much. I'm afraid I'll linger longer than what is safe for the baby."

"Just has well," Severus said with a disappointed sigh. "The mind is willing, but my body is kaput."

There was a comfortable silence while Lucy washed Severus' hair. When she was finished, he fully submerged himself under the water to rinse. He seemed to be under the water for longer than what was necessary. Lucy smiled in understanding. She loved the sensation of being completely immersed in water. It was easy to lose oneself in thought—or lack of it—when all one could hear was their own muffled heartbeat. She wondered if that was how a baby felt within the womb. Perhaps it was a deep-rooted, instinctive comfort.

When Severus emerged again, he leaned over to the side of the tub, crossing his arms across the lip of the porcelain. "Lucy—I never did apologise to you properly for..."

Lucy placed a finger over his lip and shushed him. When she removed her finger, she gave him a soft kiss on the lips where her finger had been. "I know, Severus. But I was wrong too...perhaps more so. I never should have run out on you before you had the chance to expla..."

"Daddy? Mummy?"

Lucy turned and Severus craned his head over her shoulder. Harry had awakened from a nightmare and had wandered into the hallway looking for Severus and Lucy. He was sleepily rubbing the tears from his eyes with a twisting fist.

Lucy turned back to Severus and quietly said, "I'll get him."

She arose from where she was kneeling next to the tub. Once across the threshold, she closed the bathroom door behind her so Severus could dress in privacy and knelt down before Harry.

"Sweetheart—what's the matter?"

"A big plant tried to eat me."

Lucy gathered up the scared little boy into her arms and rocked him where she sat. "Oh, baby—that mean ol' plant can't get you anymore. Daddy killed it."

Harry extracted himself just a bit and looked at his as if to be sure she was telling the truth. He hiccupped then sniffled. "He did?"

"Yes, he did."

Lucy and Harry looked up to see Severus standing over them. He had just tied off his bathrobe and he held his arms out for Harry.

Harry toddled over to his daddy and Severus lifted him to his hip. With his free hand he helped Lucy up from the floor. "The shower is yours," he said to her as she arose. "I'll take care of him. I left you the top."

Lucy stood on her toes and gave Severus a small kiss on the lips, then kissed Harry's cheek. "Thank you. I won't be long."

Fifteen minutes later, Lucy entered Severus' bedroom. She was clad in Severus' pyjama top, which came down almost to her knees and she was drying her hair with the bath towel. She came face to face with the dearest thing she had ever seen in her life.

Harry was fast asleep cradled in Severus' arm. However, Severus had fallen asleep too. It had obviously not been an accident, because Severus had pulled the sheets and coverlet over them. She smiled at the sight.

Lucy picked her wand up from the side table and walked over to Severus' large mirror over his dresser. With a quick spell, she detangled and braided her hair into two braids.

When she finished, she Noxed the house lights and quietly made her way to the bed. She carefully lifted the sheets, and soon joined her little family in quiet slumber.


When one considered what Severus Snape and his little family had just been through, it was a truly miraculous thing that all had slept well this night. The warm comfort of a family's love kept the demons and nightmares at bay.

Lovers did not fret over pushing each other away. Parents did not lament over losing their child. And a little boy did not dream of being gobbled up by a vicious plant.

Instead—as if by magic—such nightmares vanished that night. The family slept together soundly—warm and secure in the knowledge that they had each other.

Which only went to prove one thing...Love truly was the greatest magic of all.

The End.
End Notes:
Thank you once again, Tambra. She really helped me polish this chapter, especially the scene with Harry in the forest.
Know Thy Enemy by missyanne

***22 November, 1986-9:33 a.m. ***

The little boy looked even smaller and more than a little petulant as he sat with his eyes downcast and lower lip thrust out. He was keeping his focus on the grey bunny he held in his lap, stroking her silky pelt for comfort. His legs were so short, only his feet protruded over the seat of Severus' oversized recliner.

Lucy sat erect on the sofa, her eyes warily darting to and fro between Severus and Harry.

Severus though he must look like a caged animal the way he continued to pace before them. He most certainly felt like a caged animal. He was angry and heartbroken. Harry had never so blatantly disobeyed the rules and this was the first time Severus had ever felt any real anger for anything the boy had done and he was having a difficult time keeping that anger in check.

Earlier that morning, Severus and his family had taken their breakfast, along with the rest of the school, in the great hall. It was a quiet breakfast as Harry knew that now all the drama had passed, he would soon be punished. Severus and Lucy remained silent because they knew the unpleasant task of punishing Harry lie ahead.

Upon their return to Severus' chambers, he had ordered Harry into his room, whilst he spoke of the boy's fate with Lucy.

Severus decided to forgo a spanking as he was simply too angry. Lucy readily agreed as she did not generally approve of corporal punishment.

As a result, they decided to revoke privileges, the first of which—unsurprisingly—had evoked Harry's immediate protest.

"No Quidditch! But I already missed the Slytherin/Gryffindor game!"

"That includes attending practices—which goes without saying, as for the next week; you will go directly to bed after supper."

"But, Daddy..."

"No 'but, Daddy' to me, young man!" Severus winched when he noticed Harry's jump slightly in his seat at Severus' raised voice. He said in a slightly more moderate tone, "Consider yourself fortunate, that the Quidditch ban is only until the end of term and not the rest of the year." First Harry had the nerve to run off into the Forbidden Forest and now the boy was insolent enough to question his punishment? Severus had never tolerated insolence from any child and he most certainly was not going to start now.

Although Lucy too, was clearly disappointed with Harry, she at least, had years of experience dealing with her young nieces and nephews and managed to keep her tone with Harry even. "You do understand why your daddy and I are so upset, don't you Harry?"

Harry wiped his nose with the handkerchief Severus had already provided and gave a little nod. "Yes ma'am," he sniffed and wiped his nose again. "But I was only trying to help."

"Help?" Severus repeated in an exasperated huff. "This new Gryiffindorish behaviour of jumping head first where angels fear to tread without thinking will stop this instant."

Harry leaned forward slightly in his chair as he took offence to Severus' assessment. "I'm not a Lion. I'm a Snake!"

"Continue to pull stunts as you did yesterday, and I'm sure the Sorting Hat will be inclined to disagree."

Harry crossed his arms and abruptly sat back into the chair. If the topic of discussion had not been so serious, Severus would have found such a display from the small boy almost comical. It actually heartened him to know that Harry was so intent upon joining Slytherin House and that he took any suggestion to the contrary as a personal offence. However, if Harry was to ever hope to enter Severus' House, he would need to know how to choose which battles were worth fighting and how to go about winning them. Now was not the time for defiance.

"If you insist upon pouting, I'm sure we can find valid reasons for you to do so."

Severus felt is temper began to rise again and it was obvious that Lucy noticed as well. "Severus—please?" She gestured for Severus to sit next to her on the sofa. "Sit down, darling. I believe we're getting off subject."

Lucy's voice and mannerisms may have been soft for Harry's sake, but Severus immediately composed himself when he noticed her unmistakeable, 'sit down and calm yourself before I hex your arse to the sofa,' look.

He closed his eyes briefly and released a cleansing breath before he gave her a nearly imperceptible nod of compliance. Severus hitched up is trousers at the knees as he cautiou...slowly, sat next to his witch. Severus truly did need to calm himself. He almost forgot he was addressing a six-year old child who lacked better judgement...not a rebellious sixteen-year old.

As he looked over at Harry, the boy's head was now hanging low; he was whispering nonsensical words into Lucy's rabbit's ears that apparently only the lapin could understand.

Severus was suddenly reminded of how very small his child was. The urge to punish his son at all had inexplicably vanished and he was flooded with guilt over how harsh he had been towards Harry. Rather than risk inflicting anymore damage to his son's delicate psyche, Severus chose to shut-up and allow Lucy to direct the remainder of the discussion.

In a firm yet gentle voice that left no room for refusal, Lucy said, "Harry, look at us."

Harry barely raised his head as his sad, bloodshot gaze focused on Lucy, drifted over to Severus, and then back to Lucy as she began to speak. "Harry...your daddy and I are touched that you wanted us to get back together." Without taking her gaze from Harry, her hand reached back for Severus'. Severus took her small hand in his and gave a soft squeeze.

"However, you know what you did was totally unacceptable. How many times have you been told the Forbidden Forest is off-limits since you came to Hogwarts?" she queried.

Harry twitched under her scrutiny. He meekly replied, "Lots."

"Exactly—you knew perfectly well, you were forbidden to go into that forest for any reason."

"I was only going for a little way. I got lost on accident."

Severus noticed Harry attempting to avert his gaze back to the rabbit, but Lucy would have none of it. She gently took Harry's chin in her hand and turned his face up to her.

"No, Harry—what happened was no accident. You wandered into that forest of your own free will when you know you should not have. Had you stayed where you were supposed to, you would not have gotten lost and you would have never been caught by that Devil's Snare. Many people were out in the forest searching for you last night. Even for grown-ups, it is a dangerous place. Someone could have been hurt looking for you."

Severus noticed a new look in Harry's eyes as he looked up to Lucy. Harry sniffed as a single tear slowly made its way down his cheek. The child was beginning to understand that actions inevitably led to consequences. It was a hard lesson for the boy to learn, but unfortunately a necessary one, even at his tender age. Severus had to admit to himself, Lucy's gentle admonishment had been much more effective than his ranting.

Harry loosened his hold on Thor and the rabbit hopped down to the floor. Harry did not need to reach out for Lucy, as she gathered him up to him into her lap and settled back down on the sofa. He wrapped his arms around her neck and wept remorseful tears into her hair. "I'm sorry. I didn't want anyone to get hurt. I just wanted you to come home."

Lucy placed a hand on the back of Harry's head and gently rocked him whilst she allowed him to have his cry-out. From the look she gave Severus, he could tell she was feeling just as guilty as he was. He felt that this was now the time for him and Lucy to give their own apologies.

He held out his arms and Lucy passed the child to him. Severus positioned Harry on his lap and reminded the leaking boy to use his handkerchief instead of his shirt sleeve.

Harry wiped his nose and then waded the cloth which he then held between both hands he had dutifully placed on his lap. Harry perched on Severus' leg, facing away from him his face turned towards Lucy. Harry was hesitant to ask his next question as evidenced by the twisting of his fingers in the cloth. "A...are you still very angry with me, daddy?"

Severus switched Harry to his left knee so the boy would face both of his parents. "No Harry, I'm not angry with you any longer." He gave his son a small kiss on his sticky, tear-stained cheek. "I believe you have learned your lesson, but I'm afraid you still must face your punishment."

Harry nodded his acceptance and said so quietly as to barely be heard, "I know. I'm sorry."

"We know, Harry, and there is no need for you to apologise again, however...," Severus gave a nervous glance to Lucy. She did not look any more confident about approaching the subject than he did, but a slight upward tilt in her chin, gave him the courage he needed to continue. "Mummy and I need to apologise to you."

Harry looked taken aback at this. "You do?"

Lucy reached over Severus' lap to place her hand on Harry's knee. "Yes, we do, baby. Mummy and Daddy should have never allowed our fight to go on as long as it did. We're sorry that we hurt you."

"But why did you fight? Don't you love each other?"

Severus gave a tiny gesture to Lucy, encouraging her to move in closer, when she did, he wrapped his free arm around her. "Of course we do, Harry. Daddy and Mummy love each other very much." Severus looked over to Lucy and saw the truth of that statement reflecting back up to him in her eyes. "But why we argued is no longer important." He looked back to Harry and said, "However, what you do need to understand is that all mummies and daddies disagree from time to time, but that does not mean that they love each other any less and it certainly has no bearing on how much they will always love their children."

"But why did you go?" Harry his question directly towards Lucy. She had told Severus earlier that she knew the question would come. All at once, she seemed to take their shared guilt unto herself and was at a loss for words. "Harry I'm so sorry, sweetheart. I never meant to be away from home for so long."

Lucy was still trying to find words when Severus suddenly admitted, "Harry, Mummy left that night because Daddy said and did some things that hurt her feelings." The surprise at Severus' admission was apparent from the shocked look on Lucy's face. Harry had narrowed his green eyes at Severus, as if Severus had dared to do something to hurt the boy's mummy.

This time it was Lucy who stepped in. "But he didn't mean to, Harry. I just misunderstood Daddy."

Harry looked over to Severus and asked in an almost critical tone, "Did you tell Mummy you were sorry?"

Severus leaned back a bit, as if trying to escape Harry's accusation. He felt like laughing, but was almost scared to. Lucy on the other hand, stifled a chuckle at how the little boy was so readily willing to defend her from anybody, including Severus. "Yes he did, baby. And I apologised to him too. I should have never had ran away and not give Daddy a chance to explain." She looked over to Severus and said, "I promise never to do that again."

With Harry still on his knee, Severus leaned over and gave Lucy a quick kiss on the lips. It was his thanks to her that she had accepted his apology, and had even given one in return. Severus did not think he needed any reassurance from Lucy, but apparently he had, because her promise not to leave in the middle of their next fight —and yes, there would be others- seemed to have lifted and invisible weight from him. He still felt he owed her an explanation of his behaviour and a promise that he too, would never get up and leave again, but would save that conversation for when they were alone. She knew his meaning when he simply looked into her deep turquoise eyes and said softly, "So do I."

"So you still love each other...even though you made each other angry?"

Both Severus and Lucy turned their attention back to Harry and Lucy said, "Yes we do. And we still love you. Even when you do things that make us angry."

Severus picked up Harry and readjusted his son on his knee so he would almost completely face Severus. "Which brings us back to the topic at hand," Severus said seriously. "I want you to listen very closely to what I have to say, Harry, because I never want you to forget it."

Harry said earnestly and with his full attention on Severus, "Yes, sir."

"Grown-ups do not set rules simply to frustrate children," Severus said without preamble. "We set rules to keep our children safe."

Harry nodded his understanding and Severus continued, "Just remember, Harry, listen to your mother and I and always do as we say. Do these, and no harm shall come to you."

***29 November, 1986-10:30 a.m.***

"Wow," Lucy's voice echoed off the grey, filth-encrusted wall paper as she drew her finger across the banister, revealing a bright swirl of brown wood beneath thick dust. "I think the addition will be all the room we need."

It had been a long week for Severus, in addition to his regular duties, he had to find time to brew Remus' Wolfsbane Potion for the upcoming full moon and meet with the estate agent after the bank had accepted his offer for the house.

He even spent one of his lunch hours at the house as he awaited a man from the telephone company to re-install a Muggle telephone in the house. Lucy's parents owned one and discussing wedding plans over the telephone would be much more convenient than international owl posts. Lucy had to teach Severus to use a touch-tone telephone to her great amusement, as he listened to the tones to discern a melody. Severus had not used a telephone in years, and that had been a rotary dial. That first phone call was made to Lucy's parents and Lucy was so happy, she cried most of the night.

Severus and Lucy were descending the staircase in his newly acquired property. The day before, Severus had closed the sale to the abandoned house that was attached to his own. The property had not been lived in for over half a decade and due to its condition and its location, the bank failed to sell the property, even at auction. As a result, Severus had managed to buy the house at less than one-third of what a house with comparable space would sell at. Unfortunately, the repairs would cost as much—if not more—than the cost of the property.

The house set up mirrored his own, sans the double French doors that led to the back garden. That had been Severus' addition with the last renovation. This house still had the older design with a single, windowless back door that led from the kitchen. The house was also in a deplorable state of disrepair.

The wallpaper was peeling, many of the cupboard and cabinet doors were barely attached to their hinges, and the place absolutely reeked of moulded carpeting and rat urine. Severus had to open every window and door in the house and allow it to air-out for several hours before he allowed Lucy to cross its threshold. As a result, it was now, just as cold inside as it was out.

Severus had been unsure if Lucy would be receptive to his vision of the dilapidated house's potential. However, much to his internal joy, she was every bit as energised about the idea as he was. Lucy was already talking of wall colours, drapery patterns, and the type of granite she wanted for the new kitchen countertops.

Lucy offered to help pay for the cost of renovations, an offer which Severus initially declined out of old-fashioned pride. However Lucy did point out that it would be their home. After all, if she and Severus had not become involved, she was going to have to purchase a home by summer. She had won the argument when she said airily that she would simply put that money into the renovations.

Severus had told her that he intended for the newly remodelled home to be his wedding gift to her. She countered that the newly decorated home would be her wedding gift to him. After some internal debate, Severus had agreed. If it gave her joy to redecorate the house—so be it—he would let her do so.

"If we remove the staircase, I do believe it will open up a surprising amount of living space," Severus said almost to himself. "We can set up a sizable joint office downstairs and I can finally remove my books from the additional room upstairs. We can use that space to expand the existing bedrooms."

In addition to Severus' and Harry's bedrooms, there was another small room that Severus' mother once used as a sewing room. Severus had utilised it for a small potion's lab until Harry moved in. He then used the room as a depository for his darker tomes and warded it from curious imps disguised as little boys. He had to shrink as many books as he could (unfortunately many were resistant to the spell), and still the door nearly buckled from its burden.

In their new office, Severus would add several new shelves for his—and now Lucy's—expansive personal libraries. Now that he thought about, perhaps just one additional house wasn't enough?

As if struck by inspiration, she hurried over to front door. "You know, Severus, we can leave the divider wall between the houses up in the font garden, and I can use this entire space to plant a small flower and herb garden just outside our office windows." As Lucy opened the front door she was caught off-guard by a surprise guest.

"Oh!" she exclaimed, clutching her heart. "Mr. Black, you startled me."

Black was no longer gaunt and not quite as pale, but despite the expensive clothing and new haircut, the man's eyes were still haunted by whatever demons Azkaban had exposed him to.

Apparently, the Ministry had paid Black well, as Black had denied his family fortune out of principal. He certainly did not look as if he were in want of money. The man wore cordovan dragon's hide boots, tailored chocolate brown denim trousers, a blood-red silk, turtle-neck jumper and a black twill sports jacket.

According to Remus, the only part of his inheritance Black did accept was his parent's home at Grimmauld Place, in which he intended to refurbish, practice his curse-breaking skills, and sell at next-to-nothing to the first Muggle born to make an offer.

Lucy was not the only one caught by surprise. Black obviously was not expecting the door to be opened so abruptly. "I...I'm sorry , there was no answer next door." He was pointing in the direction of the occupied potion of the house. He seemed a bit confused as to why he would find Lucy and Severus in the empty dwelling. "I was getting ready to leave when I heard your voices through the window."

"What are you doing here, Black?" Severus asked irritably as he stepped over to the door. Must this particular Marauder always interrupt his life? Severus cursed himself for not erecting any wards as of yet.

"Actually, I came to extend an invitation," Black was craning his head around Lucy's shoulder. "Where's Harry?"

"He's attending a birthday party at the Burrow," Lucy said. "Today is their son—Bill's—birthday. They always invite Harry to their family events."

Severus had been concerned that most of the party attendees would be teenagers, but Arthur had assured him that they had some games planned for the younger children too and that Bill considered Harry almost as a little brother and did not mind having Harry at his party in the least.

Technically, today was the last day of Harry's house confinement. Even during the week, when he spent time at the Burrow whilst Severus and Lucy taught, he was not allowed outside. However, it was not Bill's birthday that prompted Harry's early reprieve from his punishment. It was the fact that the party gave Severus and Lucy the perfect opportunity to begin Christmas shopping that afternoon.

Black's response to Lucy was half disbelief and half cheek. "You don't mean to say that Snape actually willingly allows Harry to associate with Gryffindors, do you?"

Severus ushered Lucy and Black outside and drawled, "Let us continue this next door." There was no heat in the un-renovated house and Lucy had already been exposed to the dust and mould longer than Severus deemed safe.

The trio stepped through the overgrown front garden and Black stepped aside and held open the rusted gate for Lucy. Severus did not like how Black's eyes followed her out the gate. Black continued to hold the gate as Severus passed, his eyes still on Lucy as she passed through the neighbouring gate.

Severus said through gritted teeth, "Continue to leer at my fiancé, Black, and I shall hex your eyes right out of their sockets."

Black was obviously embarrassed and said quietly, "Oh...sorry, Snape. I find myself staring at women quite a bit these days. I didn't even realise."

"Be that as it may, Lucy is not one of your little groupies and if you repeat your 'performance' from that first night, you will find yourself neutered. Do I make myself clear?"

"Don't worry, Snape. I know not to swim in forbidden water."

Severus and Black had thought they were keeping their conversation low enough not to be heard by a certain witch. They stood corrected as they approached Severus' front door only to by stopped by a very annoyed Lucy.

"You know boys, Lucy has been right here the entire time."

Both wizards tensed when confronted by Lucy's glare. Severus and Black cleared their throats both muttered a contrite, "Sorry."

Lucy let Black pass into the house first. Much to his credit, Black made a concerted effort to look anywhere but at Lucy.

As Severus entered his home, he gave Lucy an apologetic kiss on the cheek...in response to which, and to Severus' mortification, she reached around pinched his arse.

Severus instinctively grabbed his bum and mouthed a silent, "Ouch," to Lucy. Lucy gave him a smug smirk. Thankfully, Black's attention was occupied by the back garden and he had missed the entire exchange.

"Please sit down, 'gentlemen,'. If you can manage to keep your wands tucked away for five minutes, I'll make some tea."

When Black turned from the window, he looked about as chastised as Severus felt. Severus offered him one of the wing-back chairs and he asked with unhidden sarcasm, "To what do we owe the pleasure, Black?"

"Boxing Day," Black said matter-of-factually as he sat down. "I am inviting your family to my home for Boxing Day. I realise that you already must have plans for Chris..."

Severus was already shaking his head. "We will be in America and will not return until after the New Year."

Severus wasn't sure whether he should feel relieved or wary when Black voiced no protest. "Pity—I was afraid of something like that," Black said mostly to himself. In a suddenly more optimistic tone he said, "Well, life is all about how we handle Plan 'B,' isn't it? How about an early Christmas then? As you know, Remus has been accepted into the Philharmonic. He won't be performing until spring, but we can still celebrate."

"I'm not quite sure that I am following you."

The rattle of porcelain indicated that Lucy was emerging from the kitchen with the tea tray. Severus arose and met Lucy at the kitchen, taking the tray from her hands.

Severus was slightly impressed that Black had remembered his manners and arose and gave a slight bow as Lucy took her place on the sofa. When Severus placed the tea tray on the table, both men sat down.

As Lucy poured out and handed Black his cup she said, "Help yourself to milk and sugar, Mr. Black. What was this I heard about an early Christmas?"

Black leaned towards the table and added two teaspoons of sugar to his Earl Grey. "Let me start over, if I may?"

Severus and Lucy exchanged confused looks as Black leaned back into his chair, stirred his tea, and continued , "I've been doing quite a bit of thinking since my last...erm...visit," Black said nervously. "And it occurred to me, Snape, that we don't know each other."

"Black, what the bloody hell are you barking about? We've known each other since we were eleven."

"No, no, no," Black waved dismissively. "We don't really know anything about each other...personally, I mean."

Severus did not care to skip down the happy road this bloody conversation would lead. "What do you want to know, Black— my favourite colour? I'll give you three guesses. The first two won't count."

"Don't be ridiculous, Snape. Everyone knows your favourite colour is pink."

Lucy snorted. The result of which only made her want to laugh, a feat that was near impossible considering she had already taken a sip of her tea. She was trying to stifle her laugh, but instead, choked on the liquid. Severus had to slap her on the back. "Honestly, woman. Do try not to wet yourself."

That comment had only succeeded in making Lucy laugh harder. When Lucy was finally composed herself and able to breathe again, she put her hand to her chest and chortled through her tears, "I'm sorry, darling. But you did walk right into that one."

As Lucy continued to chuckle, Black had pointed out, "See—the Severus Snape I know would have hexed her with boils for laughing at him. Since when did you develop a sense of humour?"

"Who said that I had one?"

Lucy blurted out, "Me!" And her hand shot up like an over-eager student attempting to show off before the class.

Now Black joined in with his barking laugh. Severus stared at Lucy. If he did not know better, he would swear she was minced. He gave Lucy an, 'enough already,' look and she abruptly stopped laughing, but her amusement still gleamed in her eyes. She put down her tea and arose from the sofa. Lucy pointed up the staircase and boldly said, "I think I'll go pee now."

Black exploded in laughter again and even Severus had to put his fist over his mouth to hold back his chortle.

Both men rose as Lucy excused herself. Lucy turned to Severus and gave him a soft kiss. Before she could leave he whispered in her ear, "Revenge will be mine, my dear." To which she whispered into his, "And I expect it will be sweet, my lover."

Lucy then faced Black and he accepted her extended hand. "Mr. Black, I do believe for the first time ever, I can honestly say, it's been a pleasure."

Black bent over Lucy's hand, but did not kiss it. "Dr. O'Conner, I can honestly say that is the finest compliment I've had in years."

"I'll leave you gentlemen to your business, then. Severus, I'll be upstairs if you need me."

Severus watched as Lucy ascended the stairs...to ensure that she made it up safely...he told himself. "You're a lucky wizard Severus Snape." Severus was not certain if it was he or Black who had said it.


"I simply had the revelation. Were I in your position, I wouldn't trust me either."

Black had taken the last half-hour from Severus' life, explaining his epiphany as to why Severus did not trust Black with Harry.

"After-all, to you, I'm simply the childhood bully who was accused of murdering your best friend and had recently escaped from prison."

"And it took you how long to figure this out exactly?" Severus asked dryly.

"Let's face it, Snape. I didn't have very good reasons for trusting you either. I've been falsely imprisoned for five years. You were deeper into the Dark Arts than anyone else during our years at Hogwarts, and last I had heard, you were still obsessed with Lily and a suspected Death Eater."

"I can see your point." Severus gruffly admitted as he sipped his fresh cup of tea. He was reminded that Lily's letter still lay unopened in his valet box on his dresser. Severus had been reluctant to open it. He had already made peace with his past with Lily. He did not wish to take a chance on reopening old wounds that may leave scars.

"Thank you." Black said as he leaned back into his chair, looking as though he had just relieved himself from a heavy burden. "It was a bitter pill to swallow to know that Harry was yours." Black reluctantly confessed. "It was even harder to accept that he obviously loves you so...and that you obviously love him. I had seriously considered contesting the adoption, but Remus is right. James and Lily would be very happy with how well you are taking care of Harry. You're providing him with the family I never can. It would be infinitely selfish of me to take that away from him."

Severus kept his eyes focused on his black tea as he slowly put his cup back into the saucer. He was unsure how to answer Black.

Black admitted, "It's apparent to me that there is more to you than what I originally believed. You believed in my innocence before anyone else. And I assure you that I am not as big of a son-of-a-bitch as you think."

"I suppose that is meant to be reassuring," Severus said a little doubtfully.

"It's more reassuring than you think. Snape, I'm not naive. I know you have your demons to contend with. I would also be lying if I didn't say I think I deserved to go to Azkaban."

That statement had caught Severus off guard. "How do you mean?"

Whatever Black's sin was, it was a source of shame, as he no longer capable of looking Severus in the eyes. "I should not have allowed Peter to be Secret Keeper in my stead. For almost two years Peter had groused over how Dumbledore didn't believe he was powerful enough to do anything of real importance for the Order. It was true. Peter was always pants at duelling. But he had threatened that if he wasn't given an important assignment soon, he would leave the Order and we needed very wand we could get at our disposal. James and I tried to convince him that there were no unimportant assignments, but Peter wouldn't have it."

Black smiled sullenly at the next memory. "When the time came for James and Lily to go into hiding, Dumbledore suggested that I be the Secret Keeper. James thought that it would be an opportunity to give Peter his wish to do something of real importance. After all, no one would suspect Peter of being a Secret Keeper and the position did not require any great feats of magic. It only required that one keep their mouth shut. By allowing Peter to become Secret Keeper, James and I signed his and Lily's death warrants. I deserved every day I served in Azkaban, if James had survived, he would have deserved to have gone too. "

Severus was bitterly reminded of his own guilt. Before he was aware of what he was saying, he was confessing his own sins. By this time, neither wizard felt like drinking tea. They only felt the inexplicable need to make peace with their shared past. "At least your crime was done in the name of friendship...not out of cowardice."

Black said nothing, which came as a mild shock to Severus. It would have been the perfect opportunity for his schoolboy nemesis to make a biting remark. Severus would see how willing he was to make peace after Severus confessed his sins.

"You were right about me, you know." Severus gulped in the air before he continued." I willingly took the Dark Mark with every intention of following the Dark Lord when I became of age."

Black was either giving Severus a look of intense hatred or his undivided attention...perhaps both. Severus continued despite the silent scrutiny.

"It did not take long to realise my mistake. However, the Dark Lord does not accept... resignations. I had hoped my opportunity for escape would come when the Dark Lord ordered me to apply for the DADA position. I would appeal to Dumbledore for help."

"Isn't there a rumour that the position is cursed?"

"Who do you think cursed it? If I had taken the post, he would have lifted the curse in order to have his spy in position."

"What happened? Did Dumbledore suspect you?"

Severus related his whole sordid tale from divulging Trelawney's prophecy to the Dark Lord to seeking Dumbledore's protection for Lily and her family. Black listened intently never taking his fathomless grey eyes from Severus.

"As you can see—if I had not feared the Dark Lord's retribution I would have never revealed that prophecy and Lily and Potter would still be alive today. I cannot tell you how frightened I was when I finally turned to Dumbledore. I was certain I was facing death...either at his hands or the Dark Lord's. But it did not matter as long as she was safe...for all the good that did."

When Severus finished his tale, Black looked as drained as Severus felt. "If there were no fear—there would be no heroes." Black said sagely. But Severus did not care to be likened to heroes. "And if you had not revealed that prophecy...I doubt any of us would be alive today."

"Easily said... much harder to believe."

"But you do believe it, don't you?"

Severus had been at peace with his past for some time now. He solemnly answered with the truth, "Yes I do. But the truth of it does not ease the pain."

There was pain etched on Black's face, pain in which Severus was intimately familiar with, "Then what does?" Black's eyes pleaded to know an answer.

"Forgiveness...and purpose," Severus said reflectively. "One might say that I found my purpose before I found forgiveness. Harry...and now Lucy are my purpose. I had to forgive myself before I could accept forgiveness from others."

"It must have been difficult...forgiving yourself, I mean."

"It was the hardest thing I ever had to do in my life." Severus admitted for the first time ever. "Take it from a man who was well on his way to walking down the wrong path. Emotional self flagellation will only lead to a lifetime of bitterness and ruination."

The wizards sat in pensive silence, both pondering the confessions and unexpected wisdom of the other. It was the first civilised conversation Severus had ever had with Sirius Black. They had spent over an hour speaking about some very personal topics and both men still had all their limbs. Severus saw that as a very encouraging sign.

After a period of uncomfortable silence Severus had enough. "So Black, what the hell does any of this have to do with an early Christmas?"

The unexpected sound of Severus' voice snapped Black from his reverie. "Oh! I was thinking, since you can't come over for Boxing Day, I would treat everyone to a night out. A philharmonic concert, dinner, and then some presents for Harry. I figure since you really don't know me very well, perhaps that's why you're not too keen to have me alone with Harry. So I figured, why not take everyone? I get to see Harry before Christmas and you are secure in the knowledge that I'm not going to run off to Romania with him."

Severus raised both eyebrows, impressed with the fact that Black had so displayed such a sensitivity. "It seems reasonable to me. What performance did you have in mind?"

"When are you leaving for America?"

"The twenty-second."

"Then let's make it the twentieth. It will give you some time to relax after the last day of term and you will still have the next day to pack?"

"Are you certain Remus did not put you under the Imperius?"

Black laughed lightly, "I don't have the sudden urge to jump off the Tower Bridge into the Thames, so I'm fairly certain."

Black arose from his chair "I must ask you if I might speak to Dr. O'Conner before I leave. I'm afraid it is important.

Severus arose from the sofa. Black jumped when Severus abruptly called out, "Lucy!"

Black grimaced and put a finger in his ear, as if to stop the ringing.

Lucy leaned over the top railing and called back, "Severus. How's a woman supposed to make her list and check it twice if you interrupt her like that?"

"If you can spare a moment, Mother Christmas, Black would like to have a word with you."

"Oh?" Lucy said curiously. "My favourite colour is buttercup yellow. But if I wear it, it bleaches me out. I might as well throw on an Invisibility Cloak."

Black seemed to find it unexpected and amusing that Severus and Lucy could just so readily yell out their conversations to one another like banshees from across their home. He shook his head in disbelief and said, "I'll keep that in mind. But I'm afraid this involves a rather unpleasant topic. Your ex-fiancé...have you heard from him, Dr. O'Conner?"

Lucy's eyes narrowed as she looked down from above. "I can't say that I have, Mr. Black," she said soberly as she descended the stairs, one hand on the railing, and the other on her belly to keep her balance. "I sent him an owl two days ago, informing him of the wedding. If he replies, it should be any day. Why do you ask?" Severus offered his hand to Lucy and she joined him at the foot of the stairs.

"Something doesn't seem right to me," Black explained. "Last week, I sent a letter to Musgrave in Azkaban...essentially asking what his plans were for Severus. The more I thought about it...the more I think he was ambivalent as to whether Harry was hurt in my hunt for you."

Lucy asked, "What did he say?"

Black shrugged and stuck his hands in his jean pockets. "Nothing. The post was returned stating that Kenneth was still under suicide watch and could not receive posts."

Lucy's brow creased in confusion. "That doesn't make any sense. It's been three weeks. Shouldn't they transfer him to St. Mungo's security ward?"

"Not only that," Black continued, "They usually encourage inmates under suicide watch to read their posts. Packages are sent through security screens, but special owls deliver posts to the prison, and letters usually go directly to the recipient."

Severus suggested, "Perhaps they put a ban on your posts. You are after all, an escapee."

"I thought along those same lines myself," said Black. "Then it occurred to that they said posts—not my posts. The only other reason I can think for Kenneth not to receive his mail...is that he is not there to receive it."

Lucy shook her head, not believing what she was hearing. "No. Kenneth has no next of kin. Although he is in prison for trying to kill the baby, I'm still the mother of his child and his intended victim. If he succeeded in killing himself...or died in some other fashion...I would have been notified."

Black looked as if his stomach had turned. "I don't think he's dead."

Black did not need to elaborate any further. Severus knew exactly what he was trying to say. "Escape."

Lucy turned to Severus. She was unable to hide the fear in her eyes as she put a hand protectively over the baby. "But they told Uncle Albus that they would send somebody in to find out his Animagus. What about the wards?"

Black said regrettably, "It's possible that he escaped before then."

Severus pulled Lucy close against his side and asked, "How can we find out? Along with his lawyer, Lucy is the only person they cannot deny access to Musgrave. But she cannot go anywhere near the island."

Black said slyly, "There is one way we can find out, Snape. What are your plans for midnight on the first?"

The End.
End Notes:
Thank you, once again to my wonderful beta, Tambra.

And thank you to all of you who are reading my little yarn, especially those who have taken the time to review. It means a lot.

~Missyann
Failed Quest by missyanne

***30 November, 1986-6:37 p.m. ***

Severus descended the stairs cut directly out of the jet volcanic rock in a swirl of black that blended so well with his surroundings, at first glance his pale face could have been mistaken for a spectre. The sounds his footfalls echoed forebodingly off the black stone.

After his own two week incarceration whilst awaiting the Albus Dumbledore to speak on his behalf five years ago, Severus had never intended to set foot on the hell island again. However, only a fool counted on absolutes.

The stone staircase led from the prison proper, to the boat landing carved beneath the ancient rock, where no Dementor was allowed to enter. The dock was within a cave smoky, volcanic glass that had formed from an aeons-old lava tube that had been further eroded by the relentless wind and tides that pummelled mercilessly at the island.

Severus reached into the pocket of his travelling cloak and took out a bar of chocolate; he broke off a piece and ate it. The magical flood of warmth and optimism washed over him that always accompanied the consumption of the sweet.

Severus attempted to shrug off the lingering effects of the Dementors; their presence was still evident in the air of unadulterated misery that seemed to permeate the very rock. Still, it was infinitely better than spending anymore time in the prison than what was absolutely necessary.

Below, along with the boat docks were the offices of the human administrators of the island as well as the holding cells for those under suicide watch. Nearly everyone who had ever been imprisoned in Azkaban knew where they were located, since it was common knowledge that nearly everyone imprisoned in Azkaban had contemplated taking their own life at one time or another. It was one of the side effects of perpetual Dementor exposure.

Severus was suspicious of Musgrave's placement in the secured area. As Lucy had already mentioned, if Musgrave had been intent to harm himself, he would now be in the Mind Healers Ward at St. Mungo's. Her observation coupled with Black's suspicions, made Severus decide to take matters into his own hands. He would see personally if Musgrave was still in his cell.

"I was under the impression that bats had excellent hearing, Snape," Black had said. "Not even Dumbledore is allowed to observe Musgrave. Do you think you're going to just waltz in and have tea and crumpets with the man?"

Severus had replied darkly
, "I did not say I was going to visit Musgrave. All I require is his cell number."

Ascertaining Musgrave's cell number was easy enough. Black's cell number had been three-nineteen. Thus Musgrave's was three-twenty-one. All Severus needed to do, was speak to the prisoner in cell three-twenty-two.

As he descended out of the prison, Severus reflected upon the distasteful conversation he just had, and what—if anything—he had learned from it. Distasteful was an apt description. It took all of Severus' formidable self control to keep from throwing an Unforgivable on his 'old friend' and Severus felt the need to wash his own mouth out with soap after the shite he just spewed out.

And Black...that bloody cur had some answering to do. Forget hexing the bastard's eyes out. Severus was ready to burn them out the Muggle way—with a hot poker. It was of no wonder why his eyes remained fixated on Lucy.

A scalding hot shower to wash away the filth Severus felt crawling under his skin was also in order. And much to his frustration, he was no closer to knowing the truth.

***4:54 p.m. ***

Unsurprisingly when Severus arrived at Azkaban and simply asked to see the prisoner cell three-twenty-two, he was allowed access without question. He was not concerned as to how he would get answers from a stranger. That little guarantee he had brought along with him in his left robe pocket. He did not care in the least how ethically dubious his methods were as long as he obtained his objective.

Severus ate an entire bar of chocolate before passing the Dementors that guarded the area. Once inside the cell-block Severus continued alone to his destination, marginally unaffected by the wraiths.

Severus stopped at cell three-nineteen. It was completely empty. After the investigation of Black's escape, not even the wash basin and toilet had remained on the walls. A cold chill ran down Severus' spine as he thought of an innocent man spending five interminable years in the dank eight-by-eight foot hell-hole. He had come ever so close to sharing Black's fate. However, Severus knew he himself was not innocent.

Any who thought that his betrayal of Lily had been his first and only offence would find themselves horrifyingly mistaken. After all, he had been a Death Eater for three years before it occurred to him to approach Dumbledore. Severus' hands and soul were far from clean. Despite what he had told Black, there were some things for which he could not and would not ever forgive himself. Severus would not dwell upon those mistakes, but he would give everything within himself to atone for them.

Severus was not one of the Dark Lord's foot soldiers that terrorized Muggle and wizard villages alike up and down the British country side. No—the Dark Lord did not want his young, prized potioneer to risk injury or capture. Instead, he turned Severus into a reluctant Mengele.

The potions Severus created for the Dark Lord had to be tested... and the Death Eaters provided an ample supply test subjects. The Dark Lord himself watched over Severus as he administered the potions to the hapless prisoners. The Dark Lord enjoyed watching the chilling results of Severus' labours and would often order 'improvements' to be made.

Severus had only voiced his ethical concerns about using unwilling human test subjects once—once. It was early in his service and he had recognised the girl from Hogwarts. She was the younger sister of Lily's friend, Mary MacDonald.

Severus remembered the Dark Lord's lazy incantation of 'Imperio.' He remembered waking up in the cell of his would-be test subject, naked...spent and covered in blood that was not his own.

She had been a Muggleborn girl with dark brown hair. She couldn't have been more than fifteen. She too, was nude—but she lay cold, unmoving...dead. Her body had been viciously abused...her face beaten into a bloody mass.

The memory of the deed was buried so far into Severus' mind, that he doubted if even Albus could resurrect it. He knew that he had been used as a rapist and murderer. At the time, with the knowledge of what he had done fresh on his conscience, Severus had vomited until the bile had left his stomach and continued to dry heave until he passed out.

It never occurred to him that in a very real sense, he had been raped too. He would never rationalise nor excuse the act.

It was for that very reason that Severus delved headlong into the art of Occlumency. He had read on the subject before and had realised that he had a natural talent for it. However he discovered that by mastering Occlumency, he could strengthen his will and become not only resistant to the Dark Lord's mind games, but to the Imperius Curse itself.

Severus may have sought his position as the Dark Lord's servant...but he would never again lose control over his mind and body if he could at all help it.

He knew he was trapped. He wanted out but it was too late. He had willingly given himself over as a slave to a deceptively charismatic demon lord. The only thing Severus could think to do was survive...one day at a time, until he could think of a way to wreak his revenge.

As much as Severus had wanted to do otherwise, he never sabotaged the effectiveness of one of his potions. To do so would incur the Dark Lord's wrath...again and he certainly had no desire to imic the effects of an Imperius and having to act in such a horrifying way. The Dark Lord had warned Severus that if he was not happy with his position, he could find other tasks that Severus might find more 'pleasurable.'

Severus knew that Dark Lord's idea of pleasure, and he certainly did not want to be the recipient of that particular honour.

Severus could not risk another Cassandra MacDonald. And until he had mastered Occlumency, he needed to be careful.

What Severus had managed to do—behind the Dark Lord's back—was to create antidotes for most of his potions. For far too many, such attempts were fruitless because death would be immediate. But for a few, Severus managed to go back and administer antidotes to his victims along with a rather powerful Draught of Living Death. Under the guise of ridding the bodies, Severus would administer the antidote to his Draught, Obliviate the poor souls of the memory of their captivity and torture and release them into the woods or moors on the outskirts of towns and villages to fend for themselves. They would wake up confused and their survival was not assured, but at least they were alive. Severus regretted that he did not have the courage to do more.

Severus had considered turning his wand on himself several times, but the Dark Lord would only find another potioneer...perhaps one who would have no mercy, so Severus suffered and soldiered on...performing his monstrous tasks for his master whilst at the same time trying to save what victims he could.

These were the deeds that plagued Severus for so long, even before his betrayal of Lily and her family. Only Albus was privy to the details of Severus' service to the Dark Lord. When Severus had turned spy, the Headmaster had informed him that he would be forced to continue his potions work for the Dark Lord in order to deflect suspicion. It was a bitter pill for Severus to swallow, but the Headmaster had been correct. To be effective to the Order and protect Lily, Severus had to remain effective to the Dark Lord.

When Severus was brought to Azkaban to await trial, he had neither wanted nor asked for Dumbledore's help. Black had already been 'tried' and convicted. Severus knew he would be next. Severus did not wish to spend the rest of his life in Azkaban, but he thought it was the least he deserved for his sins.

Albus' testimony was almost not enough to save Severus. Severus had been spared Azkaban by one vote. Unbeknownst to Severus, it was his own virtue, not Albus' testimony that saved him.

During the visualization of Severus' Pensieved memories, an Undersecretary recognised her five year old nephew. He had been missing after her sister's home had come under the attack of Death Eaters. Her sister and brother-in-law were killed and the worse was suspected for the boy as he had been missing for nearly two years.

When the child came to Severus...he couldn't do it. He could not bring himself to test the effects of Acromantula venom on a five-year old child. Instead, Severus slipped the child the Draught of Living Death. He thanked every benevolent god and spirit he could recall that he had not poisoned the child and explained to the Dark Lord that the boy had died before he could conduct the experiment. Severus then Apparated the boy to a small orphanage in Normandy.

Upon finding her nephew alive in France, the Undersecretary cast the deciding vote that granted Severus his freedom.

Severus was not certain he could divulge this aspect of his past to Lucy. He knew she must at least have some suspicions. She knew he was the Dark Lord's potioneer and his work was another aspect of his past he had to come to terms with when he took in Harry. Lucy knew full well that it was not beatification potions that Severus had brewed for the Dark Lord.

Severus knew the reason these dark and painful memories surfaced was the close proximity of the Dementors. He dug the bar of chocolate back out of his pocket desperately took a bite. Once the warmth began to flood over him, Severus slammed the memories of those dark times deep under his Occlumency shields where they usually resided. Otherwise, he could not deal with his guilt and unadulterated despair.

Once composed, he was again able to focus upon his task.

Severus did not need to step over to the neighbouring cell to know that it was no longer occupied. However, he did linger long enough to notice that it had received the same treatment as Black's. It was completely bare.

When Severus finally arrived at cell three-twenty-two, he fought the compulsion to cover his nose and mouth. He literally nearly fell backwards as the stench of sweat, stale urine, and faeces hit him like a Dragon's tail.

His curiosity as to what poor wretch lay within the malodorous cell did not last long—nor did his compassion once he heard the voice of the skeletal apparition that dwelled within.

"Who's there?" rasped a cautious voice. "Snape, is that you?"

The voice may have been strained from of lack of use, yet although it had been over five years since he had last heard it, Severus would recognise the voice anywhere.

"Anthony," Severus answered simply, as if he had expected to find his old school-mate and fellow Death Eater, Anthony Mulciber, rotting away in the cell.

Mucliber ran forward and grabbed his prison bars. Severus' first instinct had been to jump back, however his composure never broke and he stood his ground. Mulciber's brown eyes looked almost as black as Severus' as his pupils were nearly fully dilated from trying to pull in what mean light existed. Mucliber grounded out, "I've heard some strange tales about you Severus. Some very strange tales, indeed. Is it true, Severus? Are you raising the Potter boy to be the next Dark Lord? "

Severus' first instinct was to relieve Mulciber of his front teeth. He had obviously overheard many of the conversations that had taken place between Black and Musgrave. However, if Severus was going to have any chance of obtaining any information regarding Musgrave, he would have to play along. It was an occupational hazard of spying—suffering through distasteful...and sometimes despicable acts as if you were made of stone. Unfortunately, it was a necessary evil that must be done in the name of the greater good.

Severus kept his answers ambiguous, implying that he had secret intentions but never giving any details. If he had told an elaborate fiction to Mulciber of how he was raising the vanquisher of the most powerful wizard ever known to be a dark wizard in his own right, he would be exposing himself before he had the power to make a play...a move that would only make him out as a braggart and not a calculating manipulator. By insinuating that he had gone against Dumbledore and had managed by his own manipulations to gain power over the child that defeated the Dark Lord, Mulciber would perceive Severus as a cunning and powerful visionary, worthy of respect.

Mucliber rasped out a dark laugh. "I'm no idiot, Severus. The only way you could insure that would be if you had blood ties to boy. I always knew you still carried a torch for that ginger Mudblood. What happened? Did you impress her with your 'masculine charm' and finally manage to make a cuckold out of Potter?"

"If I had, do you think for a moment I would divulge the sordid details to you?"

"Not at all. You were never one to share your chits, Severus. But I'm not at all surprised to find out the Potter whelp is your bastard. You once said you'd get that Mudblood back. Bet Potter is rolling right now." There was a dirty gleam in Mulciber's eyes. He would be fantasising about those 'sordid details' tonight.

"Why aren't you here with us, Severus? You didn't plead Imperiuslike Malfoy, did you? Ruddy coward...I wish I would have thought about it myself." Mulciber's chest convulsed with his cackle as he laughed at his own hypocrisy.

Severus turned sideways and took a silver flask out of the upper left pocket of his cloak. His intention was to give Mulciber the impression that he was trying to hide something, whilst at the same time allowing the Death Eater to see exactly what he was doing.

Severus easily lied, "Nothing quite so elaborate, I am afraid. A simple lack of evidence and an overly mawkish headmaster who did not wish to see the 'wrongly accused' imprisoned." Severus unscrewed the top of the flask and said as he put it to his lips, "And I would see myself damned to Hell before I professed undying loyalty to a 'Dark Lord' who was bested by an infant."

As Severus placed the flask to his lips, Mulciber's eyes grew wide with curiosity and he licked his lips with a feral desperation. The Death Eater had forgotten his former line of questioning. "What do you have there, Severus? Why don't you share with an old friend? "

Severus had made rather convincing display of a man making a difficult decision. He 'grudgingly' passed the flask to Mulciber. "Here," Severus said smoothly. "It's chocolate with a bit of...something special."

"Ahhh, you always were one of the good ones, Severus," Mucliber said appreciatively as he gratefully took the offered flask. He took a hard swig from the flask, and Severus noticed the quick constriction then dilatation of Mulciber's pupils. The Veritasirum was taking affect. "Rum...that's mighty thoughtful of you." Mulciber had noticed the spice of Jamaican Rum Severus had added. The drinker would feel the immediate effect of the rum over that of truth potion.

The combination of chocolate and alcohol was having its effect. A placid look grew across Mulciber's face as his back slid down the stone wall and he sat on the floor. Severus found Mulciber's waxy pallor and yellow, toothy grin disturbing. But the effect of the chocolate, rum, and the potion would not last forever and the time for small talk was over.

Without further delay, Severus went into his questioning. "I have actually come to see the gentleman across the corridor. Any ideas as to why he is no longer there?"

Mulciber kept his back against the hard stone. He turned his eyes up to Severus and calmly said, "From what I heard, you finally lost your affinity for red-heads. If you're here to rub salt in the chap's wounds, you're too late. Poor bastard killed himself weeks ago."

This, Severus did not expect to hear. "Are you certain? Did you see the body?"

"Didn't need to. When the lights went dark the night after Black escaped, the sod cried like a baby for hours...swearing his vengeance on you and his woman. All the while, he was ripping at something. I heard some movement and then he was suddenly silent. I couldn't see anything." Of course Mulciber would be blind to what was happening in other cells. The cells were spelled so those on the inside could not see others on the inside, thus isolating the prisoners further. "I figure that was when he did it. When the prison went black. That sort of thing happens around here all the time. Once he was quiet, I fell asleep. I woke up the next morning with the guards searching his cell. They must have already removed the body, but one of them was holding the noose that he made from the mattress cording."

Severus took the information in. It was sketchy at best. Why would the Ministry not tell Lucy that Musgrave had killed himself? Who had claimed the body? The prison administration would answer none of these questions for Severus. It was doubtful that they would give Lucy an honest answer.

He would have to follow through with Black's plan. If nothing came of it, they would have to assume that Musgrave was dead. However, there was something he needed to be certain of before he left. "Did you overhear Black and Musgrave talk about Animagus transformation? If so, have you used it to your advantage?" There was no point in asking him if he ever saw Musgrave transform since he could not see into the cell.

Mulciber frowned in disappointment. "Oh yes, I overheard them. But there's nothing I can do about it. My magic is too far gone for something that advanced...trust me...I tried."

"Do you know how Sirius Black escaped?"

"No," Mulciber answered with a shake of his head and a happy smile. "I missed that bit of excitement for a bit of my own. I had a two day conjugal visit with my wife. The first one since I've been here. I didn't return to my cell until the morning after he escaped."

Severus mused, "So you weren't here when Lucius came for his little visit."

"Lucius soiled himself by coming here? I wish I would have been here. I would have thrown a great turd at him. He was my Secret Keeper. Son of a bitch gave away my hide-out."

That little bit of information confirmed a suspicion of Severus'. Malfoy bought his way out of Azkaban. There was no way he could have been under an Imperius and remember that he was a Secret Keeper. After the Dark lord's downfall, Lucius had not been questioned for weeks and Anthony was arrested soon after. Whilst one would remember waking from the curse, memories of what one did whilst under the curse vanished after only a few hours. The Ministry would have been wise to this.

Severus casually took his watch out of his pocket and checked the time. "As much as I would love to stay and chit-chat with you, Anthony, I really must leave."

Mulciber bolted up from the floor and grabbed the prison bars. His face was pressed into the gaps. "Don't leave just yet, Severus," he said desperately. "You know...you haven't told me about your latest conquest. Is she really all Musgrave claims she is? He thought her fanny was platinum the way he went on about fu…"

The sound of skull clashing against metal echoed off the prison walls.

Severus had reached beyond the bars, grabbed Mulciber by the collar, and smashed his head into the unforgiving iron.

Mulciber was bleeding from a cut on his forehead, but Severus did not let go. He was seething.
Severus growled, "You have your conjugal visits. Find release in your own wife, for you can't soil mine with your perverted fantasies."

Severus threw Mulciber back into the darkness of his cell. He stormed out of the block, looking very much as if his very presence would give a Dementor pause.


Severus swept into the Administration offices that were hewn into the obsidian rock wall. His anger was lingering close to the surface.

The interior offices were a stark contrast to the outside. The walls were a harsh white. The intention was to counteract the overall gloom and darkness around the prison. In actuality, the colour choice was just as mundane and almost as depressing as perpetual blackness.

The attendant sat behind the tall counter with his pointed nose buried in the latest edition of the Prophet. He looked as though he should have retired over a decade ago. The old man never bothered to look up as Severus approached. He simply took one hand and plunged it into an unseen drawer and unceremoniously smacked Severus wand against the hard countertop.

"Your wand, sir," said the thin, dull voice. The guard then arose and turned to go refill his mug of hot chocolate.

Severus wordlessly reached out for his wand then briefly hesitated as the old guard swore under his breath. "Damn it all to hell. If I find out who's been dipping into my bloody chocolate ration again, I'll..."

Severus pocketed his wand and cursed himself for not thinking of the obvious sooner.

"Pardon me, si..."

"What the bloody hell do you want?" the guard snapped.

"Information," Severus said smoothly as he removed the last two bars of Swiss chocolate from his pocket along with his silver flask. "I assure you, you will find what's inside extremely...satisfying," he smirked as he placed the chocolate bars and flask atop the counter.

The old man looked at the chocolate like a cat ready to pounce on a rat. "Wha...What information might you be after, son?" It was amazing how something as innocuous as chocolate could alter tone of a conversation.

Severus picked up the flask from the table and handed it to the old guard. "You may wish to ascertain if it is worth your while."

The old man eyed the flask, then Severus with suspicion. Severus simply nodded his encouragement to the guard.

His need to relieve the despair overcame his sense of caution and the old man drank deeply. The relief washed over his wrinkled face. "I've known men to kill for stuff like this here," he practically sighed.

"What do you want to know?"

Severus had a feeling he would have managed the truth out of the man without the aid of Veritasirum. It was clear that the human workers on the island were not above taking bribes. "Prisoner three-twenty-one? Is he down here in isolation?"

The guard contemplated, "Twenty-one...twenty-one...That would have been Musgrave, I think. On Black's cell block, if I'm not mistaken."

Severus was impressed with the old man's recall. But then again, every guard would have been familiar with Black's cell number. It was entirely plausible they would be familiar with his neighbours as well.

"Yes, Kenneth Musgrave. Is he here?"

The guard finished off the hot chocolate and attempted to give the flask back to Severus. Severus indicated with a wave of his hand for the guard to keep it and the old man gave him a toothless grin of appreciation as he put his new treasure in the pocket of his baggy work-issued trousers.

"Musgrave's gone, son." The wizened guard said matter-of-factually. "He escaped the night after Sirius Black."

***1 December, 1986 -3:35 a.m. ***

Severus made his way back up to the castle with beetled brown and barely contained fury from the Apparition point. Thankfully, although the sky threatened, it had not yet begun to snow.

The night had ended in near disaster thanks to Black. Severus blamed his decision to believe Black's plan would actually yield a favourable result, on temporary insanity.

Lucy did not want him to go, but Severus and his bloody male pride chose not to listen.

Severus placed his hands on her slim shoulders leaned over and gave Lucy a small kiss. "I simply cannot rest until I have exhausted all possibilities."

"I refuse to live my life in fear because Kenneth may or may not be out there, Severus." Lucy had her concerns, but he had remained adamant on his decision. "He escaped a month ago. If he was going to come after me, I'm sure he would have done so by now. You've already endured Azkaban for me today and you have classes in the morning. You don't need to do this tonight."

"Yes I do, Lucy. If he's alive, this could be our only chance to capture him."

Severus simply could not verbalise his own fears. This was personal and Severus was perfectly capable of taking care of Musgrave one his own. He just needed to find the son-of -a-bitch. Chances are the man wouldn't even have a wand and his magic would be weak. It was actually at bit of an unfair fight, but Severus did not care. It would be the end of him if something happened to Lucy or Harry at the hands of Musgrave, especially if he could have prevented it.

Black and Musgrave made a pact before they escaped. They had come to the conclusion that there was safety in numbers. They had made the assumption that by the time Musgrave was ready to make good his escape, Black would have managed to secure a safe house. Their problem would be communication. Thus, it was decided that starting at midnight on the first of every month for next three months, Black would wait for three hours at a predetermined location. If Musgrave had escaped, he would meet Black and from there they would decide their next course of action. After three months, Black was to assume that Musgrave was either unable to master his transformation or died in his escape attempt.

According to Black, if Musgrave was alive, he would have met Black tonight. Severus followed along and watch in the darkness hidden under a Disillusionment spell.

Attempting to capture Musgrave was fraught with danger, the least of which was from Musgrave himself. He would not prove a challenge against two armed wizards. The rub lay in what to do with Musgrave if they manage to capture him. The Ministry went through pains to insure that the escape of what they considered to be a low-risk prisoner, be kept quiet. They had more to lose if Musgrave was captured than not.

If Severus and Black turned Musgrave directly over to the authorities, the might find themselves in prison on trumped up charges , just to keep the story quiet.

According to the guard that Severus spoke to, Musgrave's infraction was considered a crime of passion and he was not considered a danger to the community as a whole. The Ministry was more afraid of what would happen to their jobs if it were discovered by the general public that a second break-out had occurred in as many days, than what might happen to one witch if her ex-lover knocked on her door.

When Severus informed Albus of what he had discovered, he could feel the magic ripple off the Headmaster from the old wizard's un-checked anger.

"If you catch him, bring him to me, Severus. It is too dangerous for you to approach the Ministry yourself. Although you used Veritasirum, the guard may only be repeating rumours...the truth as he knows it. I need proof if I am to make an accusation serious enough to place high level officials in Azkaban. If what the old guard says is true—that is exactly where I will see Fudge. Even if Kenneth died in prison, the prison administration and the Ministry have much to answer for."

It should not have surprised Severus that the greatest danger came from Black himself. If Severus had known where Black was going to take him, he would have seen the plan as the suicide mission that it had nearly turned into.

"Snape...Snape." Black called out as he ran to catch up with Severus' long hurried strides. "I'm sorry. How was I supposed to know that the bloody Prince of Wales lived there?"

Severus spun around and pointed his finger at Black. "Everybody knows the Prince and Princess of Wales lives at Kensington Palace, Black. As soon as you landed us along the Long Water, I knew it was a bad idea."

"I've been in prison for five years, Snape."

Severus rolled his eyes and continued his march towards the castle. "They've lived there longer than that, Black. Read a damned history book once in a while...and why are you still following me?" he asked in exasperation.

"I'm trying to explain..."

"You've explained enough. You wanted to give it another half an hour. Next time, stick with the plan." Severus sighed and shook his head as he opened the smaller single entry door that was imbedded within the grand main doors of the castle. "I just want to get some sleep before my lessons in the morn..." Severus looked at his pocket watch and wearily corrected himself. "Five and a half hours. You may use my Floo to get home."

Black mumbled under his breath as he followed Severus into the castle. "It's not my fault the Prince chose to live in a bloody park."

What had ever possessed Black and Musgrave to meet at the statue of Peter Pan in Kensington Gardens was beyond Severus. Yes—the park was closed to the public at night and Muggle London would be the perfect place to become lost forever, but the heir to the Crown and his family lived almost close enough to have to draw their drapes for privacy. Security would no doubt be patrolling adjacent park.

The three hours ticked by at a snail's pace, but Severus remained hidden in the brush under his Disillusionment Charm. Black remained in his Animagus form, lying so still along the base of the statue, one would of had to be practically on top of him to know that he was there.

One's senses were immediately struck with the smell of bird dung from the countless ducks and geese that found refuge in the man-made lake in the heart of London. The water fowl lined the bank as they slept peacefully with their heads tucked under wings.

The only other sign of life was a rookery that found refuge atop one of the nearby bare Rowan trees. Severus eyed the birds suspiciously, but nothing seemed out of the ordinary. Although rooks were uncommon in London, they were not unheard of in the green spaces. They too, seemed to be uninterested in the sleeping dog below.

Time came to a standstill and Musgrave had yet to make an appearance.

At ten minutes to three, Black transfigured back into his human form in order to talk to Severus and communicate his desire to give Musgrave another half-hour. This act had disturbed the rookery. The cacophony of sound that broke the still and silence of the park drew the attention of patrolling guards.

Severus swore. Severus was still concealed under the spell but the Muggles had spotted Black and started to run towards their direction yelling at Black not to move.

Black made to Disapparate until Severus reminded him to stop and not to run. If Black used magic in front of Muggles...royal detail no less...there would be hell to pay. Dressed from head to toe in black, Black did not exactly look like the picture of innocence at three in the morning.

Most Muggle constables were unarmed, but if these men were part of a royal detail, they were likely carrying fire-arms. A precisely placed bullet was every bit as lethal as any spell. Dead, after all, was dead. How one arrived there was totally incidental.

Black looked absolutely terrified as one guard began to ruthlessly handcuff him as the other barked out questions so quickly, Black scarcely had time to answer one before he was inundated with the next.

Without revealing himself, Severus cast a precisely placed and particularly powerful Body-Binder Curse that paralysed all three men. He released Black from the curse and literally pulled him by the ear into the cover of the trees.

"Get your arse back to Hogwarts." Severus snapped. "I'll be right behind you."

Severus only lingered long enough behind the camouflage of the brush to release the Muggles from the curse and Obliviatethe entire incident. But before he released his curse and Disapparated, Severus thought he heard the tell-tale 'pop' of Apparationoff in the distance. Had they narrowly missed Musgrave or was it a car back-firing? After sixty seconds, there was no sign of an approach by man or beast, Severus passed it off as the latter.

Musgrave may not have shown up that night, but it proved nothing to Severus. Even if he did not show up in the subsequent two months, there was no definitive evidence to explain what might have happened to Musgrave. Lucy was right—they could not live their lives in fear, but that did not get rid of the irritating knot in Severus' gut. The same feeling that told Severus that they had not seen the last of the Dark Lord, told him that they have not seen the last of Kenneth Musgrave.


Yellow eyes followed the wizards the entire length of the pass that led up to the castle from the safety high atop a Scotch pine. His fear was realised—Black had betrayed him too.

Musgrave had joined the parliament at Kensington two days prior to await Blacks arrival. By living as a bird for the past month, it had been easier for him to live in the wild. He did not require as much food and since his stay in Azkaban his body was adapted for living out-of-doors. Kenneth was ready to find Lucy and resume his life as a human again.

When Black had escaped, the lack of human contact amongst the Dementors was more than he could stand. Kenneth had many demons and they made a point to haunt him quickly when there was nothing else to keep him occupied. He had considered taking his life the next night. Kenneth had even constructed a noose.

But those same nightmares of his Lucy in the arms and bed of another man...the ones that nearly led to a pointless suicide, instead spurred him to action. He would not give Lucy and Snape the satisfaction of laughing over his corpse.

Despite the fact he had not yet learned to fly, Kenneth transformed into a rook and just as Black had done, he simply walked unnoticed out of the prison past non-human and human guards. He hid amongst the rock cliffs for two weeks, feeding on the eggs and hatchlings of the rare Azkaban Gannets that bred year long on south slope of the magical island.

Once he was capable of fight, his avian instincts had attuned themselves to Magnetic North. From there it was a simple matter to find Scotland, which lay to the southwest.

Kenneth had considered going straight to Hogwarts, but avoided the obvious places the Ministry, or anyone else would haunt him...Hogwarts, his home in Sheffield, and Malfoy Manor.

Kenneth slowly made his way to London, only changing to his human form twice on days that were warm enough that he could remain hidden in the forests.

It had been his intention to meet up with Black straight away, but perched on high with the rest of his new parliament, something seemed off when the great black dog arrived. Kenneth could not see that something was off, but he could hear it...an unnatural rustling in the brush that was not caused by the wind.

He decided to wait until the last possible minute before making his presence known to Black. It was a decision that may have saved his life.

For some unknown reason, Black had changed back to his human form...catching the attention of the night patrols.

Kenneth was ready to ambush the Muggles to afford Black his escape. One could only imagine his surprise when a curse had hit the three men from out of nowhere. Kenneth would be caught completely off-guard when he discovered that Sirius Black's saviour was none other than Severus Snape.

Kenneth heard Snape's cry to meet at Hogwarts. Kenneth flew off and landed on the far side of the Italian Garden. He Apparated to the far side of Hogsmeade and caught up with Black and Snape just as they entered the castle grounds. They were too busy squabbling with one another to notice his approach.

It was obvious to Kenneth that Black had failed him. If Kenneth was going to exact his revenge, he would have to do it alone. Unfortunately, he would have to bide his time. Snape was obviously on high alert and would notice anything out of the ordinary. Kenneth had waited this long...he could be patient. Snape would let his guard down...eventually.

The End.
End Notes:
Sorry for taking so long. So much has happened in the last two weeks, it would take a chapter of it's own to tell it. So I won't burden you with the details.

Thanks, as always, to my aptly named beta, tambrathegreat.

Please remember...reviews-es feed the muses.

~Missyann
A Night Out by missyanne

***20 December, 1986***

"What's taking Mummy so long?" Harry asked as he preceded Severus into his small bedroom.

"It takes women a bit longer to get ready with all their poof and paint and accoutrements." Lucy had began her preperations over three hours before they did, and she still was not ready.

"I heard that," said Lucy's disembodied voice from across the hall.

All had been quiet in the nearly three weeks since they had learned of Musgrave's escape and Severus still refused to let down his guard. Every day, he would escort Lucy to her classroom after breakfast, meet her at lunch and escort her to the Great Hall and back and at the end of the day, she would Floo back to their quarters from her office, because frankly, by the end of the day she was too tired to walk halfway across the castle.

They spent most of their free time together unless Lucy was in her office or scriptorium. At those times, Severus insisted that Lucy keep the Voodoo doll, which had finally arrived from her old flat mate, with her just in case.

Severus swallowed hard when he realised that the primitive looking doll was anatomically correct. Lucy had snickered when she saw Severus' reaction to the phallus that resembled a third leg and two tiny red puff-balls (for lack of a better description) to represent Musgrave's bollocks. "Kenneth could only wish in his wildest dreams that the proportions were accurate," Lucy laughingly commented.

Lucy had groused that Severus was being an overprotective mother hen, and that she always carried her wand with her, but she complied nonetheless. Severus knew that she only did it to keep from hearing him harp on about the matter but he did not care as long as she kept that doll with her when she was alone.

From what Severus had read on the subject, there was no wand protection or counter wand magic that could protect against a curse cast via Voodoo doll and the more protection Lucy had against an attack from Musgrave was all the better. When Lucy decided to take Harry Christmas shopping earlier that week, Severus decided they needed a more protection in London than a four inch doll.

Lupin had 'coincidentally' bumped into Lucy and Harry in Diagon Alley and joined them in their shopping. Severus was aware that Lucy and Harry would be shopping for him, so protecting them personally was out. Remus and Aberforth where the only others who Severus would trust with the task. Aberforth had a business to run, but Remus was more than willing to accompany Lucy and Harry on their errands. Severus hated the subterfuge, but it did not matter as long as his family was safe.

Now that the term had finally come to an end, they only had one more obligation to meet before they left for the United States—an evening with Sirius Black.

Severus was actually surprised to find out about the whole formality of the evening. Being that this was the last night of the Season, the formality could hardly be avoided. Yes...The Nutcracker is a children's ballet, but Severus wished that Black would have chosen the less formal afternoon matinee. Not to mention, he had no doubt that Black would supply Harry with sweets when they returned to Black's flat after the performance where Harry would unwrap his gifts from his godfather.

Severus lamented that he and Lucy were in for a long night with a six year old child who would be bouncing off the walls well into the wee hours of the morning, between his sugar rush and the excitement over his new toys.

Perhaps this invitation tonight was not an overture for reconciliation from Black. Perhaps it was Black's elaborate plot for revenge.

Severus half turned towards his room and raised an eyebrow. Harry giggled as he dragged the round wooden stool that normally resided in the corner, to the front of a tall standing mirror.

Harry had managed his trousers and shirt by himself, but Severus was going to have to help the boy finish readying for the evening and the boy stood on the chair to await Severus' help with his tie and waistcoat.

With the exception of his dinner jacket and his cloak, Severus was already in his evening attire. He was helping his son into an identical ensemble.

"Do we have to wear this, Daddy?" Harry whined as he stretched his neck up for his daddy. He was desperately trying not to squirm as Severus fastened the top button of the stiff, high collar.

"I'm afraid so, Harry. Tuxedos are what are commonly referred to as a 'necessary evil'...Keep your chin up, Harry," he calmly said as Harry's head turned to watch his Daddy pick up the black silk tie from the burrow. Harry immediately complied as Severus began to tie a bow under the upturned chin.

"Not that I don't agree with you," Severus continued. "I am under the belief that whoever designed these monstrosities had a rather lucrative career as a professional torturer before they stumbled into fashion design."

"Severus, you wear a waistcoat and cravat every day under a heavy frockcoat. How can dress robes possibly be more uncomfortable?" Lucy's dry tone brought a small smile to Severus' lips as she entered the doorway, stockings in hand.

Harry giggled again, this time at Lucy's honest assessment of Severus. The little boy's giggles abruptly stopped when Severus favoured him with a mock scowl that was closer to a smirk, but the mirth never left Harry's eyes.

Severus honestly could not explain why he found dress robes to be far more uncomfortable than his own conservative attire. Perhaps it was the idea that he was effectively being 'forced' to wear a tuxedo. It was his moral obligation to complain on behalf of men everywhere.

"Why do we have to wear them?"

"Because we are attending a ballet and not a Stones concert. Ballets tend to be overly stuffy and one is expected to wear attire that is suitably uncomfortable for the occasion."

"What's a Stones concert?"

Severus glanced down at his son and gave a rather undignified snort.

From across the hall, Severus heard Lucy amused voice call out again, "Severus, I've seen your album collection and I happen to know you enjoy classical music just as much as you do The Stones. Stop giving Harry the wrong ideas."

Severus scowled. He would like to say that, yes—he did enjoy classical music, but he did not enjoy seeing grown men and women prancing about on stage as if they had a wand stuck up their arse. Taking the osmotic verbal skills of his present company into consideration, Severus thought he best keep that bit of commentary to himself.

He did, however, lean over and whisper into Harry's ear, "And people compare me to a bat. I think your mummy could hear a mouse eat cheese on the far end of the castle."

Harry whispered conspiratorially back into Severus' ear, "I think it's a mummy thing. Mrs. Weasley can hear us way downstairs—even when we're in Ron's room."

The corner of Severus' mouth twitched as he looked down at Harry and attempted to keep from laughing outright. He was still trying to hold back his smile as he folded Harry's stiff collar around his bow tie.

Harry's eyes glanced at his open door, and then he quickly turned his head, making Severus lose his grasp on the boys' collar. Severus was about to admonish Harry for squirming but the words fell short on his lips when he saw Harry's eyes widen and his son whispered a reverent, "Wow."

Severus turned, and only one word came to mind when he drank in the vision in the doorway...Wow.

A faint blush came to Lucy's cheeks as if she could read Severus' mind.

She wore a black satin strapless evening dress that flowed just below her knees. Severus could not help but to notice how her low black pumps accentuated the subtle shape of her silken legs. Over her dress she wore an opera coat with attached sleeves that also came to her knees. It was made from a black opaque fabric that sparkled from the interwoven silver lamè. The overall effect looked as if she wore gossamer veils made of the night sky.

Her honey coloured hair was pulled back and in a complicated pattern of braids that were held in a black net snood at the nape of her neck. A becoming arrangement that showed her lovely neck, a part of her that Severus particularly enjoyed, to great effect.

Noticing how she favoured her grandmother's triple string pearl necklace and matching dangling single pearl earrings over the diamonds that Musgrave given her last year made Severus smile inside. It had put a fear to rest. On her wrist was a pearl bracelet with one pearl replaced by a sphere of equal size, festooned with tiny diamonds.

When she walked over to Severus to straighten his tie he noticed Lucy had even done something different to her finger nails. Lucy usually cut them very short so they would not interfere with her quill work. More often than not, they were stained with whatever pigment she happened to use on her manuscripts that evening. Tonight they were longer by a half a centimetre. She had not painted them but they were buffed to the point that they shone like glass.

Severus debated whether or not to give her the ring that he bought her now, as she left her hands free of any adornment. He longed to see his ring on her finger.

"I take it from your dazed reactions that it was worth all the poof, paint, and accoutrements?"

When she finished adjusting his tie, Severus bent over a placed a kiss on her soft cheek. "You look lovely tonight, my dear."

She looked up him in feigned offence. "Tonight?"

"You look lovely all the time, Mummy," Harry chimed in. "It's just you look a different kind of lovely tonight."

Severus was proud of Harry's diplomatic answer. As he summoned his dinner jacket and cloak from his room whilst Lucy finished getting Harry ready, he said as much. "That was a very Slytherin answer Harry, and a very true observation."

Lucy smiled as she fastened Harry's cloak around his neck, "From the way your daddy is sticking his chest out like a rooster in a hen house, I think safe to say you just made him very proud, Harry."

Severus hadn't been aware that he was being so demonstrative, but he could not help himself. He was proud of his son and of Lucy. He did have a handsome family. Harry was emulating Severus more and more everyday and the woman who was his wife in every way but name was intelligent and beautiful and for reasons still completely mysterious to Severus, she loved him beyond measure.

The love and respect Lucy and Harry had for him shone in their eyes and practically radiated out of their pores every day. Any fool could see and feel it...even Severus.

His dreams of such a life for himself had once died. He still did not believe he was worthy of such blessings, but he would dedicate the rest of his life to try to live up to such pulchritude.

***9:53 p.m.***

All in all, the night wasn't the unmitigated disaster that Severus was certain it would be. Severus wasn't sure if that made matters better or worse. At this very moment, Black was the floor with Harry, both having long ago shed their waistcoats and ties, playing a game that involved dice and duelling dragons. Harry seemed to be having the time of his life with his godfather, to Severus' dismay.

All of the roaring and the flashing lights from the magical flames, however, was giving Severus a searing headache. It would not have been quite so bad if Black had limited Harry's gifts to the animated colouring books and the full collector's edition of The Tales of Beedle the Bard. Severus was somewhat relieved that Black had thought to gift at least one book.

Black declared that he had five years of Christmases to make up for. He had festooned his new flat with wreaths, garnet and gold candles, and the largest and most elaborate Christmas tree he could find. He had already given Harry a table top Quidditch set, a working replica of the Hogwarts Express that was charmed to enlarge so a child could actually ride it, and there was still one box unopened.

The evening would not be half so tedious if Black wouldn't insist that Harry 'try' each new toy as soon as the boy ripped it out of its packaging.

Severus was certain he did not want to know what was in that red and gold wrapped box, as something was shaking and snarling in its efforts to release itself. The box was nearly the size of Harry. The smallest and most elaborately wrapped package looked as if it might be another book. Black had declared that gift to be 'special' and therefore, to be opened last.

Severus was also quietly thankful that they would be far from Britain come Christmas morning. The mournful wails of children were bound to be heard up and the countryside as Severus had no doubt that Black had bought out the whole of Honeydukes for Harry and there would be no sweets to be had.

Severus expected Harry to be bouncing off the walls when they returned home, despite the fact that he had to play the ogre and limit Harry to one lolly despite vehement protests from both Harry and Black. Lucy finally stepped in and admonished Black when Severus had to warn Harry of the consequences of not listening to his parents. "Mr. Black, are you trying to get Harry in trouble?"

Severus and Lucy would be lucky to get the child to sleep before Christmas.

From the moment they Portkeyed to the restaurant were Black and Remus met them for supper before the ballet, Severus was ready to get the bloody night over with. There had only been one bright spot to their restaurant experience.

***5:28p.m.***

The Portkey that Black had provided deposited Severus and his family outside one of the most exclusive restaurants in Wizarding London, a place he was certain would not be entirely welcoming to children.

At least for that night, he was proven wrong on two points. Because the school term had ended and it was the last night of the ballet, there were quite a few children from elite wizarding families amongst the clientele. That had gone to alleviating Severus' fears, somewhat. But Lucy had to keep him from walking out the door, despite her own anger, when the maitre'd came to escort them to their table.

Severus vaguely recognised the man from his days as a student. The supercilious host did not immediately recognise Severus...but he recognised the name on the reservations list.

Severus held Harry. Lucy stood next to him with a hand resting on his free arm. He leaned to the host standing at the podium and said in a low tone so not to be over heard by the other patrons, "Snape, party of three...Sirius Black is expecting us."

Unfortunately, the man was up on the current news of the day, because by the way his professional persona instantly slipped and he put his hands over his mouth to keep from screaming like some deranged sycophant, he had recognised the name an its significance. He went from being pompous to outlandish in the course of a single breath.

"Severus Snape...I ca...I thought Siri...Mr. Black was only playing one of his practical jokes!" His eyes immediately cut to the boy in Severus' arms who was favouring him in turn with a curious look. "Then this must be Harry Potter!" He slapped his hands over his mouth as if he couldn't believe his own words.

Severus drew Harry closer to him when all at once it became dead silent throughout the restaurant as all eyes locked on Severus and his family. Damn, he should have thought to ask Black to put the reservation in Lucy's name.

Severus could feel Lucy tense from her anger, yet she pressed her hand tighter into his arm to keep him from storming out the door and making a bigger scene that was sure to create a sensational write-up for the Prophet the next day. "If you can please restrain from urinating on yourself with joy for the time being, Sir," Lucy hissed. "Could you quietly lead us to our party?"

The man finally remembered himself and at least resumed a thin facade of nonchalance. "Yes...," he managed with only a slight tremor in his voice. "I do apologise. But please let me add that this is a proud moment for Chez Enchanteur. Forgive me for being a bit...overwhelmed."

Severus would have rolled his eyes at the absurdity of it all, but as the maitre'd finally led them to the private dining room that Black thankfully had enough brains to request, he could hear the not-so-whispered conversations as they made their way to the back of the restaurant.

"...I can't believe it. It's really Harry Potter..."

"...Death Eater...Potter's must be rolling in their graves..."

"...a spy, Mum...professor is great with Harry..."

"...his wife?"

"...did not realise he was married...lovely girl..."

Severus nearly drew his wand when a cinnamon coloured hand touched his sleeve.

"Professor Snape, Sir?"

Severus' scowl instantly dropped when he was greeted by the confident smile of his former Quidditch captain, Gwenog Jones.

"Miss Jones, this is a pleasant surprise," he said honestly. Other than the Weasley boys, Miss Jones was the only other student Severus had ever trusted with Harry's safety. Harry was heartbroken when she left Hogwarts the previous June.

"Gwen!" Harry squirmed for Severus to release him. Severus let his boy down and Harry took her hand.

"It's good to see you too, Imp," she said cheerfully. "I know you miss me?" She walked hand and hand with Harry along with Severus and Lucy to their private room.

Miss Jones' dark eyes reflected genuine warmth for her former Head of House and deep affection for his adopted son. "You and Harry both look well, Professor."

"As do you...Oh, pardon my rudeness. Miss Jones, my fiancé, Dr. Lucile O'Conner."

Lucy extended her and Miss Jones shook it with her free one. Miss Jones gave him a quick quizzical glance concerning Lucy's obvious condition, but she had the tact not to ask that which was none of her business. "It's lovely to meet you Miss Jones. Didn't I just read in the Prophet that you've been recruited into the Holyhead Harpies?"

"Naturally," Jones said as if there were no other alternative. "And congratulations to you both, Dr. O'Conner. You be good to the professor. The girls in our year always thought whoever managed to snatch him would be one damn lucky girl."

Severus could feel his face warm as he wondered exactly how often he was the topic of adolescent female conversation. He certainly could not imagine any favourable comments, even from his own House.

"I couldn't agree with you more, Miss Jones..."

"Please, call me Gwen."

Lucy reciprocated Miss Jones' request for familiarity. His former student gave him a nervous glance, perhaps wondering if she had overstepped her bounds. Severus favoured Jones with the slightest of nods, indicating his approval. It wasn't as if Lucy needed Severus' approval for whom she chose to befriend, however it was apparent that Miss Jones sought the approval of her former Head of House.

They had already reached the door of the private dining room as the women chatted on and were out of earshot of most of the restaurant patrons. However, the maitre'd was being a bit too patient for Severus' liking and was paying far too close attention to their conversation.

Severus interrupted and offered, "Miss Jones, would you care to join our party?"

"Please, Gwen," Harry pleaded. He had been hanging on every word of their conversation. "You can explain to Mummy all about Quidditch. She might be more interested if a girl told her."

Damn it! The meddlesome maitre'd looked as if he were about to drool from that pronouncement. Severus had no doubt that news of his relationship, erroneous or otherwise, would be plastered on the front page of the Prophet in the morning.

Miss Jones, smiled brightly at Harry then looked at Lucy. She obviously wanted to ask more but had far better manners than the maitre'd. "I'm sorry, Professor, but my parents are waiting for me."

"Severus... perhaps we can invite Miss Jo...Gwen... to the house for dinner after the Holidays?"

Lucy had obviously taken an instant liking to Miss Jones. Severus had no illusions that the reason being was because the girl thought so highly of him and Harry.

"Please, Daddy."

"Don't beg, Harry," Severus gently admonished before he added, "Of course, I would be delighted if Miss Jones could join us one evening."

"I'll send you a list of dates I'm available, then send me an owl." Jones looked down at Harry and gave him a wink. "It was good to see you again, Imp. It was wonderful to meet you Dr. O'C...Lucy... and congratulations again to you both," She pointedly indicated Lucy's belly with her eyes before she walked off.

Dinner had been relatively uneventful. Though loathe he was to admit it, Severus did feel a bit...uncertain of himself by the end of the meal.

After the toast to Remus for his success, Black had focused most of his attention on Harry for the remainder of the evening.

They sat together at a round, elegantly set table with enough silver service to refinance Gringott's should the bank ever lose its solvency. Harry sat between Severus and Black. At first, Harry's head and shoulders were barely above the table's edge as the obstinate child adamantly refused a booster chair offered by the maitre'd. (He was a 'big boy', after all) Instead, Severus levitated Harry's chair to the table as he would often do at home. Harry found levitation much more acceptable because it was 'just like flying.' Lucy sat to Severus' left and Remus between her and Black.

Lucy and Remus had attempted to include Severus in their in-depth discussions about the upcoming ballet, but after they received a half dozen disinterested grunts from Severus in answer to their queries, the friends knew a lost cause when they saw one and for the moment, left Severus to his brooding.

Initially, it struck Severus as a bit out of character and ironic that Black had chosen such a posh establishment. Frankly, Severus had not seen Black as the foie gras/escargot type and he had to hide his utter amazement as Black effortlessly played host. Severus could only assume Black was speaking flawless French from the reaction of the waiter and the sommelier, as he asked about the Chef's amuse-bouche. From where did Black develop such a sense of savoir- faire? Severus was certain that if Black really chose to do so, Black could rival Lucius in that department.

As Black encouraged Harry to try the tapenade, it occurred to Severus that Black would feel at ease surrounded by the trappings of wealth. After all, though Black despised his family's politics and bigoted thinking, he would be accustomed to a privileged lifestyle. Growing up as the scion of the Black family he would have been rigorously tutored in his youth of the strictures that are part of elite convention.

Even after Black broke his familial ties, the Potters were also an old family tied to old money. Even in his self-imposed familial exile, Black would have been taken part in a privileged existence. A sizable inheritance from a rebellious uncle only helped to ensure that Black could maintain his lifestyle-at least until he landed himself in Azkaban.

Severus was aware of pure-blood etiquette. Between Lily, who had often read aloud her mind-numbing Jane Austin novels and a mother who wished to pass on a semblance of her once aristocratic life to her only son, Severus too, knew the difference between a salad fork and a fish fork.

But Severus had never taken to such niceties. Such social minutiae were frivolous. Before the arrival of Harry, Severus was content with living with only the barest if necessities...or so he told himself.

But a nagging voice reminded Severus that if all had been as it should have been, and Lily and Potter had lived to see the end of the war, Harry would most likely be accustomed to dress robes, bow ties, fine food, expensive toys, and children's ballets. Such was the world of his father, and James Potter would have seen to it that Harry was moulded in his image in more ways than their visage.

Harry's play circles would have included the children of politically and socially powerful families like the Longbottoms and Macmillians. For the first time in quite a while, Severus felt inadequate to the task of raising Harry. Black had the means to provide Harry with luxuries Severus could only dream to. Would Potter be happy with the way Severus was raising his son?

Severus and Lucy were by no means impoverished and the children would never be in want of adequate food, clothing, and shelter. But neither would they have the means to afford the best of everything for Harry in a manner in which Potter and Lily could have, and would have done.

But Severus would provide the best he could to Harry, as he would for all of his children. As cliché as it would sound to the ears of others, Harry would never be in want of love. There was not enough gold in Gringott's to put a value on Severus' love for his adopted son.

Lucy gave Severus' arm a gentle squeeze, but it was enough to make him feel as if he were violently stirred from his musings. "Severus, stop it," she leaned to him and whispered gently into his ear, as if she could hear his mental self-flagellation.

He exhaled softly and looked into Lucy's eyes and seeing an understanding that he had not experienced with many before she came along. She said softly, "Let them have their time, Severus. You will still be Daddy when we get home."


The ballet had been a near disaster. Fortunately, they had box seats with a charm that kept their conversations private, courtesy once again of Black's late uncle, or else the entire fiasco would have ended up in the morning Prophet.

Harry was too excited to stay seated in one place and he often ran up the balcony railing rather than listen to Black and Remus try to explain the story. Severus had to finally put his foot down at Harry's antics and plopped the child in his lap in order to keep him from jumping onstage and joining the fight between the Nutcracker and the Mouse King.

It wasn't until the second act that Severus had noticed a change in Harry. The child became still and enraptured by the music and dance, but there was...something. Harry's forehead had furrowed in deep concentration, as if he noticed something for the first time and his gaze was absolutely fixed upon the Prince. If Severus did not know better, he would say that the boy was nauseated.

Severus wasn't the only adult to notice a change in Harry. "Harry. Are you alright?" Black leaned forward and asked.

"I'm okay," Harry replied, yet sounding to the contrary. "I was just wondering about the dancer."

"What did you want to know, Harry?" Lupin helpfully asked. "I can tell you almost anything you want about this ballet."

"Doesn't that hurt?"

"What hurts? His jumps? No, Harry. He practices a l..."

"No, not that," Harry said irritably. "That!" Harry clarified what he meant by pointing directly at the male leads...manhood. Before Severus could put a restraining hand over Harry's words, he managed to blurt out, "Just look at him. His trousers are too tight. You can even see his bol... Hey!"

Severus startled Harry into not finishing his words as he clasped a hand over Harry's eyes.

"Black!" Severus barked as turned and glared at their host as if the cur had dared to corrupt his son with ballet. "Care to explain?" Severus had already had that talk with Harry once and didn't think he could bare to have that discussion again until Harry was...oh...say...fifty?

Black looked as if he were ready to bolt out the door and Remus had flushed to such a shade of red, he was nearly camouflaged against the brothel red seats. Lucy was doing an appalling job at hiding her mirth. She had her hands covering her own mouth and she was shaking violently with pent up laughter and her blue eyes were beginning to water.

Black held up hands in hope that Severus would not hex an unarmed man. "I'm sorry, Snape. But I have no knowledge of men's dance apparel." Black looked to Remus.

Though he looked scared witless, Remus replied in all earnestness, "Don't look at me. I've never been backstage. Especially with the male dancers."

Harry piqued in, still not sure what all the fuss was about. "Daddy, I can't see."

Lucy admonished Severus in her amusement, "Severus, let Harry go."

She said to all of the men, "Cowards," then held out her arms for Harry. "Come here, baby." Severus let go of Harry and his son shot him a glare in what Lucy had euphemistically called, 'The Stink-Eye,' before he walked over to Lucy. She grunted as she picked him up and placed him on her knee.

"First Harry, it is not nice to point at another person's..." Lucy looked to each of the men and grinned, "...bits..., especially in polite company. That said, my friend Chris was a dancer and he told me about something he had to wear called a dance belt..."

Severus noticed that he was not the only man who kept his legs crossed as Lucy nonchalantly explained how a men's dance belt functioned and Harry calmly listened as if she were explaining how to don his socks.

Later Lucy would explain, "Severus, my parents explained the human body and the birds and bees as easily as explaining...well... the birds and bees. It is best to explain the simple things to him now when he is uninhibited. He will only find talking about the human body awkward and embarrassing if we do."

Severus was grateful that Lucy had been up to the task of explaining the naughty bits. He thought he might let the incident be a precedent.

***11:51 p.m.***

Despite Severus' fears, Harry had finally run out of steam.

It was almost midnight when all the gifts had been exchanged and Harry had fallen asleep leaning back against Severus' chest, clutching the photo album that Black and Remus had assembled for Harry in one hand and a stuffed, purring Gryffindor lion tucked under his opposite arm.

The album was essentially a baby portfolio filled with Harry's infant photographs, almost every photo featured either Lily, Potter, or both, lovingly doting over their precious child. Harry had especially wanted to share this particular treasure with his daddy.

Severus gently slid the album from his sleeping son's grasp and passed it to Lucy for safe keeping. "Black, Remus...this... was a kind gesture. Thank you."

He could not help but feel a pang of regret when he looked over the photos of a happy and cherubic Harry with his son and Lucy. He had missed so much of Harry's life. Had Severus known of his unusual connection with Lily's son, no doubt Albus would have seen Harry with Severus the very night of Lily's and Potter's tragic death, or had he come to his senses years ago, as a godfather he may have had a role in the infant Harry's life. Severus could not help but to envy Black and Remus.

Black had one hand on the back of his cordovan suede sofa, nursing a glass of red wine. "We knew you have few baby pictures of Harry. It's important that Harry have them. Besides, we kept the ones of Harry with us."

Remus added, "And these portraits you had made are priceless."

Lucy had commissioned a magical charcoal rendering of Harry sitting in the floor at Spinner's End, holding Lucy's rabbit and trying to entice it to eat a carrot. It was originally created exclusively for Remus, but once Black entered into the scene, she had a copy created for Harry's godfather as well. Harry had painted the frames with images of his favourite things—snitches, brooms, and bunny rabbits. And Severus charmed the figures to move. Black had already put his in a place of honour atop his mantle.

Remus gifted Severus and Lucy with season tickets to the Philharmonic. They were not box seats, but they were good seats nonetheless. Severus was aware that despite the discount Remus had received, the tickets must have cost him dearly. It obviously meant a great deal to Remus that Severus and Lucy attend his concerts.

Black had given them a bottle of fine wine. Severus thought it would be nice to enjoy on their honeymoon. Black had offered to take Harry for the two week holiday Severus and Lucy were planning for after the wedding. Arrangements had already been made for Harry to spend that time with his new grandparents, but as long as Black continued to prove himself as trustworthy, Severus could not see why something couldn't be arranged for the mutt come summertime.

Severus slowly arose, keeping Harry and his new toy close so not to awaken the boy. Lucy and Remus were collecting toys and shrinking them to fit into a tote.

Black came around from the back of his sofa and faced Severus. "I'd shake your hand, Snape, but you are otherwise occupied."

Black put his hand gently to Harry's forehead and brushed back the boy's sweaty fringe. Harry stirred slightly, as if by instinct, when Blacks thumb scarcely grazed his scar. Black jerkily pulled back his hand, and Harry settled again. He said tightly, "I have to thank you Snape for giving me this time with Harry. I haven't had a Christmas since James and Lily..." the words seemed to have caught in Black's throat. Severus wasn't certain he could bear to hear them himself.

"If Harry were awake, I assure you he would thank you. It was all a new experience for him and I can tell he enjoyed himself."

"What are you doing for Christmas, Mr. Black?" Oh no. The night may not have been total chaos, but one Christmas with Black was enough for Severus. He would like to say he would but his foot down if Lucy invited Black to Charleston, but he couldn't. It was her home after all. She could invite whom she bloody well pleased.

"Lucy, I'm certain Black has made his own arrangements for the Holidays." Severus was certain of no such thing. But he was certain that Black was not coming with them...if he could at all help it. Once again, Remus came to his rescue.

"Sirius is joining me with my family in France," Remus told Lucy. "We're spending Boxing Day with the Weasleys and New Years with Aberforth."

Remus had confided in Severus that he and Black had not managed to totally repair their friendship yet, though they were trying. Black was in need of friends, and whilst Remus still felt resentful over what Black and Potter had done, his heart was too noble to completely cast Black to the wayside.

Lucy expressed her thanks that the men were spending some time with her grandfather during the Holidays. She was going to suggest that if Black had no plans, that he might want to pop in on Aberforth Christmas day. She had practically begged Aberforth to come spend Christmas with his family, but the old wizard had remained stubborn. He would not leave Britain. Lucy thought perhaps he refused to leave her grandmother's grave, but Aberforth had mysteriously implied that he had other plans and they would spend next Christmas together.

"Thank you, Alf," Lucy said only slightly assured. "I can't help but feel a bit guilty about leaving him. But I had promised that I would come home this Christmas before I even moved to England."

"Don't worry, Lucy. We'll make sure Abe doesn't spend the Holiday alone. And it's not as if the old man isn't capable of making up his own mind."

Black interjected, "Besides, you can't deny Harry a Christmas with his new extended family. Not even I can compete with that."

If only Black knew how nervous Harry had been about meeting these new aunts, uncles, and cousins. Harry's experience with his own extended family had left him understandably anxious. That fear was put at least partially to rest when Lucy reminded Harry that he had already met her brother Allen and he would be one of Harry's new uncles and he was very nice. Harry had agreed, and supposed if the rest of his uncles and aunts were like Allen, that would be okay.

But even more concerning to Harry was Father Christmas. "Does he even go to America?" Severus assured Harry that he had personally written to Father Christmas to let him know that Harry would be in Charleston for Christmas, and to deliver his presents to the Ashley House.

Remus had been the first to go home. Black placed a hand on Severus' arm as he carried Harry to join Lucy in the Floo. "Snape...I..."

"Yes?" Severus' reaction had come out sharper than he intended. "I apologise. I did not mean to snap. It has simply been a long night."

"I understand," there was a hint of melancholy in Black's tone. "It has been a long night and you have a long day tomorrow. It can wait."

Severus nodded and stepped into the Floo with Lucy, who had been very patient in Severus' opinion. Severus put his free arm around her. Seeing Black standing alone in the opulence of his new flat, Severus couldn't understand why he ever felt envious of the wizard. For the first time in his life, Severus truly felt sympathy for Black and the life that he had lost. Though Black had his money and the material trappings that came with it, he had precious little else.

It was Severus who had the things that truly mattered, a family, home, and friends. It was more likely than not, Black was jealous of Severus. Once upon a time, when Severus was a lesser man, he would have revelled in that irony and thrown it back into Black's face. But now, the only thing Severus could think to say was, "Happy Christmas," and he meant it.

Lucy said sincerely, "Merry Christmas, Mr. Black," as she took the offered Floo powder from Black.

Black stepped back and raised his hand in a half wave "Happy Christmas."


The dark room flashed green and with his free hand, Severus escorted Lucy out of the Floo at Spinner's End. They were leaving from the Manchester home the following afternoon because in an unprecedented show of fraternal solidarity, Albus and Aberforth would have a special Christmas surprise awaiting Harry when they returned from the States.

Severus needed to allow them access to the house while he was away. He would take care of the spells with Albus, whilst Lucy and Harry were delivering Thor to Aberforth's care. They decided to keep the gift secret from Lucy as well. Just knowing that her Pawpaw and uncle had acted together would be a Christmas present in itself, as far as she was concerned.

Lucy lit the low light on a nearby floor lamp and Severus made his way to the stairs.

She walked over to the small writing table in the corner where a envelope marked from the Ministry lay. It was addressed to Lucy. "It looks like the owls already know we're here. It must have come through the Floo," she said quietly.

"I'll put Harry to bed and be right down."

Ten minutes later, Severus came back down to find Lucy sitting in the chair in front of the desk. Her head hung low, one hand rested on her belly, the other clutched tightly to the crumpled parchment. "If something smells funny it's this letter. It's nothing but bullshit."

Severus knew the letter's subject. "Musgrave."

Lucy nodded wearily, but her lips were pursed tight in an effort to keep her anger in check. Rather than say anything, Lucy simply handed the abused missive to Severus. He unfolded it, already angry for his fiancé before he silently read the words:

Dr. O'Conner,

In light of the fact you are carrying the child of Kenneth Musgrave, a.k.a. Prisoner 321, and are therefore considered the representative of Next-of –Kin, we are obligated to inform you of the release of said prisoner.

As you have previously been made aware, Mr. Musgrave has an extreme sensitivity to Dementor exposure in which every known remedy has failed to adequately treat. The Ministry has reviewed his case and due to the fact his offence is in fact victimless, for reasons humanitarian, his sentence is hereby commuted.

If Mr. Musgrave should once again threaten you or your child, he will be returned to Azkaban to serve the entirety of his sentence.

If you have any queries, please feel free to owl me.

Sincerely,
Anton J. Dorken
Warden, Azkaban Prison

Lucy was right—it was bullshit. Musgrave had escaped, and since too many questions were being asked, the Ministry had covered their arses.

"Uncle Albus' inquiry last week was probably the final straw," Lucy said knowingly. "They can't say he killed himself. If he came knocking on my door tomorrow, heads would roll and they know it. Well...at least we know for sure. Kenneth is out there somewhere."

There was no definitive proof of Musgrave's escape. Severus' use of Veritasirum to obtain the truth was illegal and enough to land him into Musgrave's empty cell. The Ministry had managed to tie up their loose ends and present them to Lucy in a neat little Christmas bow.

Severus wanted to tear the letter into so many pieces and burn it, but they may need it for evidence later. Ironically, Lucy would be safer if Musgrave knew he was a free man. He would be more likely to come out of hiding to take advantage of his resources. If Musgrave knew is accounts were released and he could contact his friends like Malfoy with no fear of reprisal, he would be far easier to track. But as it was Musgrave was on the run, dangerous, and the Ministry had washed their hands of him.

Severus' heart raced as quickly as his mind. How much had Black inadvertently told Musgrave? Severus had once thought his home untraceable. Black had proven him wrong.

Lily's Blood Wards may protect them all from the Dark Lord and his minions. However, Musgrave was neither the Dark Lord nor a Death Eater and at the moment he was a far greater threat.

Severus tossed the crumpled missive on the desk and rushed to the Floo.

"What are you doing?"

"I'm doing something I should have done long ago. I'm contacting Albus and your grandfather. This house is going under a Fidelius—tonight!"

The End.
End Notes:
Thanks go out to my awesome beta, tambrathegreat, for her help and encouragement.

Please remember to review. Writers put so much into their stories and your reviews keep us going. Not to mention it took six atempts before this boody chapter posted! If there are any mistakes its because I became flabbergasted.

TTFN
~Missyann
Christmas in Charleston by missyanne

***22 December, 1986***

Harry's face was scrunched with worry as Lucy handed Thor to Pawpaw.

"Just remember, she likes alfalfa, not Timothy-hay. And she likes to be scratched between her ears."

Harry demonstrated how Thor liked to be stroked on the soft fur between her ears. The bunny protested momentarily, and then settled itself into Pawpaw's arms.

"Aye, I notice how gently she likes to be stroked. I'll be certain to remember." While he continued to scratch Thor behind her ears, Lucy's grandfather indicated with a tilt of his head to the mantle below the portrait of Aunt Ariana, and a familiar set of scrolls. "You left those last week. You might like them back." He put the rabbit down to roam free and acclimate itself to his private rooms. Almost by habit, Harry went to the floor to play with Thor one last time before they left.

"Thank you, Pawpaw. We would have been pulling our hair out trying to find those." The previous Saturday, the family had supper with Pawpaw. Lucy and Severus had shown him the plans for the house. They intended to show them to Lucy's oldest brother, Richard, who was a well regarded magical contractor in the States. Richard had a few contacts in the Isles and Lucy and Severus were hoping he could recommend one.

Lucy took the plans off the mantle under the watchful gaze of her teenaged great-aunt, Ariana. Pawpaw said she rarely spoke, and then only to him. Lucy often wondered why Aunt Ariana wouldn't speak to Uncle Albus, but Mama had long ago mentioned that it was a sensitive subject between the two brothers and whole truth of the matter remained a closely guarded secret.

"Well, I don't know of any use I can have with them." If Lucy didn't know better, she would swear her Pawpaw's voice had an almost—guilty—edge to it. She passed it off as her imagination. It's not as if Pawpaw had anything to be guilty about. "Oh," he quickly added as he went to his roll top desk and took something out of the top drawer. "Be sure to give this to your mother and this one to Arthur and Molly. They're charmed so only they can open them."

Pawpaw handed her two sealed envelopes. No doubt they contained the location of Severus' house, as Pawpaw was now the Secret Keeper. Lucy tucked the envelopes into the pocket of her heavy winter cloak. She gave her great-grandfather a kiss on the cheek and said, "Thank you. Pawpaw, are you sure you don't want to come home with us?"

"But I am home, darlin'." Aberforth said with certainty. "I promise, I won't be pinin' over Christmas and I'll be here when you get back. Don't worry, it will still be Christmastide when you return, we can exchange gifts proper then."

Lucy blew out a heavy sigh, realising that this was a battle she would not win.

"Plus, you three need to get far from here and find some peace until the madness from that article settles down."

Pawpaw was referring to the write-up in the Prophet. No doubt the inside source that confirmed that Severus Snape was now trying to erase all memory of the Potter's by finding a replacement for the sainted Lily, was none other than the ridiculous maitre'd from the night before.

Hogwarts would prove to be the safest haven for the Snape's outside of their home. Amongst the student body, the relationship between their professors was old news and would scarcely raise an eyebrow. However until the Holidays were over, to remain in Britain would be to remain virtual prisoners in their own home.

Severus and Lucy had decided that they would release a formal engagement announcement to the Daily Prophet in hope of alleviating the most lurid speculations, and Albus promised to field any questions reporters might have. With any luck, the worst of the initial rumour mongering would be over by the time they returned. But undoubtedly their lives would be under the scrutiny of a microscope from now on.

If Lucy weren't bound by contract to the British museum for at least the next five years, she would suggest moving to the States. Daddy had already mentioned that the university was looking to expand the Potions and Herbology College. He had already mentioned to Severus he merely needed to submit a resume, and a position would be assured.

While making breakfast (and before Harry rolled out of bed) Lucy half-jokingly remarked that the Prophet was about to make them very rich as her book sales would take off as fast Hippogriff with its ass on fire. People would not care that they were scholarly monographs. It would serve any fanatics right if they couldn't understand three quarters of what Lucy had written about.

As much as she would like to visit more with her great-grandfather, it would be time for them to leave for Charleston soon and they still had to make one more quick stop at The Burrow. "I'll hold you to that, Pawpaw. Harry, say goodbye to Thor and Pawpaw. It's time to go."

Harry got up from the floor and ran over to Aberforth, surprising the old wizard by giving him a bear-hug around his waist. "Thank you for taking care of Thor, Pawpaw."

Lucy's great-grandfather leaned over and patted Harry on the back, pressed his bearded cheek against the top of Harry's head and smiled. "Now there's the best Christmas present I can have, right there."

Aberforth had explained that Harry was now his eighth great-great-grandchild, and the first he had ever met, making Harry a very special little boy. Harry had mentioned that he never had a grandpa before, and Pawpaw was the first one he had met. Lucy's grandfather reminded Harry that he had already met Lucy's parents, but Harry said that didn't count, because his mummy and daddy weren't engaged yet. Ever since, Harry had followed Lucy's example and began to call Aberforth 'Pawpaw,' much to the old wizard's delight.

Harry pulled out of Pawpaw's embrace and picked up a large box in a metallic red wrapping and a hand-knitted Christmas stocking from the coffee table. Lucy had previously enchanted the package with a Feather-light Charm so they could carry it. Lucy gave her grandfather one last hug. "I love you, Pawpaw, Merry Christmas."

Lucy pulled Harry close to her as they entered the Floo and Harry handed Lucy the larger package. "Merry Christmas, Pawpaw," Harry said happily, copying Lucy's Americanism.

As Aberforth nodded and said, "And to you." Lucy saw her great-grandfather's blue eyes glint with moisture and a beatific smile cross his features, before she and Harry were whisked away in a flash of green flame.

*** 3:26 p.m. ***

"Lucy...We have to activate the Portkey in less than five minutes!"

"I'm coming," she called back as she raced down the stairs as fast as she could with one hand on the railing and the other over the baby. Damn her bladder! "I'm sorry, but this one we can blame on the baby."

She and Harry had run late from getting back from the Burrow. They had dropped off their Christmas gift for the family. Harry had made the last minute decision, with some not-so-subtle prompting from Severus and Lucy, to share the absurd amount of candy he received from his godfather the night before, with his friends. For the entire Weasley clan, they had bought a wooden game box that opened up rather like a Chinese puzzle that contained fifteen Muggle games. The whole family would love the games and Arthur was certain fascinated with the puzzle box.

Lucy and Harry returned with three squishy packages, wrapped in slightly faded paper, perhaps recycled from the previous year, and a promise that they would not open their presents until Christmas morning. Molly also replaced the sweets from Honeydukes with a basket of homemade goodies of her own.

Knowing that there were going to be enough candy and cookies at home to last until Easter, Lucy put the gift basket in the kitchen an spelled it to keep until they came home. She did, however, manage to knick a couple of scones slathered with pumpkin butter while she rushed around with last minute preparations. Molly must have known that Lucy's cravings were kicking at her almost as hard as the baby.

As much as Lucy could have scarfed down the entire basket, she reluctantly restrained herself to only two of the fluffy confections. Her worst fears had come to pass, and then some. At twenty-five weeks, Lucy thought she looked as though she swallowed two Quaffles. If she tried hard enough, she might recall the last time she saw her feet, but it wasn't worth the heartache and headache it took to try.

Three nights ago, she cried in Severus' arms, complaining of how fat and ugly she had become. As always, Severus had said exactly the right thing. "If you're fat, then I'm morbidly obese. And frankly, I don't care if you become fatter than Churchill, you will always be beautiful to me." After she blubbered for another ten minutes, Severus applied the stretch-mark salve to her belly that Pawpaw had made for her, then gave her a back massage.

And he wondered why she loved him so much.

Lucy couldn't wait to get home to see her family, but admittedly, it would not be too much of a vacation. Along with the usual Christmas festivities, Lucy and Mama would be shopping for her wedding dress. That would prove quite interesting, considering they had no clue as to what Lucy's size would be, come July 19th.

Not to mention dresses for the brides maids needed to be chosen, along with tuxedos (Severus and Harry were just going to love that), cake, catering, entertainment for the reception, and photography. Just thinking about it all was enough to make Lucy nauseous and no amount of Severus' or Daddy's potions could take that sick away.

That was the drawback of having a big family. Every occasion turned into a huge event. If it wasn't for the fact that Daddy was so looking forward to escorting Lucy down the aisle, she was ready to consider a quick elopement. This was her second wedding planned inside a year, and damn it, Lucy was tired of wedding talk. She just wanted to be married to Severus and get on with their life.

Fortunately, the venue was already chosen. Lucy's Muggle grandfather had been a priest for the oldest Episcopal Church in Charleston. Her brother, Danny, had followed in their grandfather's footsteps and had become fully ordained the year before. He only knew of about a dozen other ordained wizards, and one witch, in the entire Anglican Communion.

Mama and Daddy had been married in the old church, along with all of her siblings, with the obvious exception of Allen. Lucy and Severus would simply be continuing a family tradition. Being the sister of a priest had certainly made it far easier to reserve the church on such quick notice, and Danny offered to officiate the wedding.

At first, Lucy had been concerned, because in all honesty, she had not known where Severus' spiritual convictions lay. If she were honest with herself, sometimes she questioned her own. But as it turned out, much to Lucy's surprise, Severus' early upbringing had been much like her own...baptised at birth (his due to the adamant insistence of his deeply devout Muggle grandmother), but never confirmed into the Church of England.

Lucy's parents had left that intensely personal decision to each of their children. Mama had been disappointed at first when Lucy chose not to become a full member of the Church, but Lucy had her reasons. She kept those reasons between her and her god, and she was quite sure God understood.

Severus had stopped attending services at the age of seven, when his grandmother died. Though his father was technically a full member of the Church, Tobias was a true agnostic, along with Severus' mother. It wasn't as if Severus actually lost interest in going, his parents simply considered religion waste of time. Severus thought little of his religious training and simply considered it as a part of his long nearly-forgotten early childhood. Like Lucy, he was neither deeply religious nor fully agnostic. However, he was certain that wherever his nana was in the afterlife, she would be happy to know he was having a church wedding and he, himself, had no objections with the decision –as long as they were legally married and Lucy was happy.

Her insides where turning. In less than five minutes she would be home—or at least at the International Portkey Terminal in Mount Pleasant.

"Here I am," Lucy called out. Severus was standing in the middle of the living room with Harry tucked in one arm. They were all dressed in Muggle attire, as was custom in the majority of the United States. Lucy held the satchel that contained their shrunken luggage. "Do you have the Portkey?"

"Right here," Severus impatiently waved the postcard with a picture of Fort Sumter in the harbour. "If you don't hurry, it will leave without us."

Severus was exaggerating, but she knew his meaning. The Portkey would go nowhere without the spell being cast; however, they would be cutting their reservation time for arrival close.

Severus held out the postcard to Lucy and she grabbed an edge with two fingers. "Grab on to an edge, Harry," Severus instructed curtly.

Harry did as he was told and Lucy offered her apology...of sorts. "I'm sorry to keep you waiting, but Portkey travel is uncomfortable enough without a Quaffle sitting on your bladder."

Severus half rolled his eyes, and snorted. He chose not to say anything, probably to avoid a senseless argument on the first day of their vacation. Lucy wished she knew a spell that could squeeze his bladder to half the size of a snitch then perhaps he would know what she was going through. But she did not want to argue either, and he was still stressed from last night and the casting of the Fidilius. So this time she decided, 'less said—soonest mended.'

Severus irritation seemed to melt and his demeanour softened. "Do you remember the incantation, Harry?"

Harry nodded excitedly and looked to Severus, then Lucy for assurance, then shouted, "Portus!"

***22 December, 1986-1:02 a.m. ~The Ashley House, Charleston, South Carolina, U.S.A. ***

A gangway magically extended out from the water taxi to low, wooden boat landing. Lucy held Harry's hand as they stepped out. Severus was paying the old Captain Marion. The old wizard had been navigating the waters around Charleston since before Lucy's mama was a born.

The International Portkey Terminal was located in Mt. Pleasant, just north of Patriot's Point on the Cooper River. As much as Lucy would have loved to have given Severus and Harry the driving tour of Charleston, she had a real phobia when it came to crossing the old Grace. The bridge had been obsolete long before Lucy was even born. The dilapidated cantilever bridge had no shoulders on the road and it was essentially a straight drop from the road lane to the depths of the Cooper River. Had she driven, Severus would have to pry her fingers off of the steering wheel after the crossing.

Lucy instead, opted for Captain Marion's water taxi. As an added bonus, they had the best view of the city and Battery Park as they rounded the Charleston Peninsula and entered the mouth of the venerable Ashley. Harry had been enthralled as Lucy regaled the city's old ghost stories, especially those of the great Yorktown, permanently moored in the harbour.

From the corner of her eye, Lucy noticed Severus down one of his potions. He had looked slightly puce before he had done so. She wondered if he had ever been on a boat other than the one that ushered him to Hogwarts for the first time.

The farther they went up the Ashley, the faster Lucy's heart raced as the familiar sights and smells of home invaded her senses. The palmettoes that lined the shores of the harbour gave way to the tall cypress trees that stood sentinel along the banks of the river.

Although it was atypically warm for December, there was no sweet smell of flowers because it was winter. Of course, the scattered conifers kept their green foliage, adding to the loamy, earthy aroma of the blackwater which let her know that she was indeed home.

After reaching their destination, Severus shook hands with Captain Marion, stepped off the boat and joined Lucy and Harry on the small landing. He looked up past the thick flora to the Georgian, native-clay brick house that lay about seventy five yards from the embankment.

"You live here?" Severus asked with carefully veiled awe. The house looked like a film-set plantation house, because in actuality, it was, right down to the double porches that wrapped around three sides of the house.

Lucy cheekily corrected, "No. My parents and brother live here. I live with you."

Harry asked impulsively, "Are they rich?"

"No, this house has been in the family for only four generations. Mama's granddaddy was a lawyer and bought this house at auction sometime around the turn of the century," Lucy explained as they began to walk up a lane lined with bare willow trees. She continued to hold Harry's hand with her left hand as she swung the satchel that contained their luggage to and fro with the other. "The taxes and upkeep of this property are paid for by a trust set up by my great-granddaddy Price. My folks are by no means poor, but they couldn't make the expenses of a house like this on their salaries alone."

"I thought Pawpaw was your mummy's granddad. When did he buy this house?" Harry asked curiously.

"Mummy is referring to your grandmother's other grandfather, Harry." Severus explained. "Most people have two grandmothers and grandfathers."

"Why don't I?"

"Because my parents died some time ago."

Harry nodded his head in understanding. Lucy inwardly marvelled at Harry and how keenly observant he was of the slightest of details. He was never hesitant to ask questions of things he did not understand and understood readily once something was explained to him. In many ways, Harry reminded her of herself when she was his age. Perhaps that is why they bonded as quickly and as closely as they did.

They continued up the path as Lucy pointed out the spot along a small peninsula that jutted out into the river where sweetgrass reclaimed the old rice paddies. Indigo still grew wild in some places.

Lucy did not know much about the land's sad past before her great-grandfather bought the property, only that it had changed hands twice between the end of the Civil War and 1900. She had too many happy memories from her own childhood. She was afraid if she delved into its shameful history, it would sully those innocent memories. As much as she abhorred the idea that the property once held other humans in bondage, she could not change that she was born and raised in the house, nor change the fact that she grew up here-happily. That past was long ago and the guilty family was not hers. But sometimes...just sometimes...the very notion that such a beautiful place hid such an ugly past made her feel guilty for loving the place so.

As they approached the portico, the front door opened and the large frame of Lucy's younger brother filled in the open doorway.

"Big sister!" Allen cried and hurriedly stomped his way down the front steps. Lucy was afraid he would crush her in one of his customary bear hugs, but as she held her arms out to him, he stopped directly in front of her and smiled. "You look beautiful," he said reverently before he embraced her.

Lucy snorted as she hugged her brother. "I look like I swallowed a beach ball." She could tell by the way Allen trembled slightly that he was almost to the verge of tears and he drew himself out of the embrace before he could shed any.

"Severus, Harry, it's real good to see ya'll again," Allen said cheerfully as he enthusiastically shook Severus' hand. "You couldn't have timed it better. Mama and Pop just got back from services."

Harry tugged at Allen's sleeve. "You're my uncle now."

Allen grinned at Lucy and Severus, and then knelt down to Harry. With an impertinent wink he said, "I know. And as your uncle, it is my job to spoil you rottener than a fat house cat, then give you back to your folks when I'm done."

"I wouldn't do that if I were you, little brother," Lucy said slyly. "You don't want me and Severus to 'thank you' later when you have a few of your own."

Before either Severus or Allen could reply, Lucy's heart jumped at the sound of her mama's voice.

"Are ya'll coming in, or are you camping outside tonight!"

Lucy's mama stood on the porch, her blue eyes shone with eager anticipation.

Lucy exclaimed softly to herself, "Mama." She shoved to satchel into a startled Severus' arms and said, "Hold this."

She ran to the steps and into her mother's outstretched arms. Lucy buried her face into her mother's almond scented hair and squeezed her eyes tight to hold back the tears. Her heart clinched tight as the sudden realisation of how much she missed home overwhelmed her.

***24 December, 1986***

Mummy and Daddy knelt down on the floor and tucked Harry into his sleeping bag.

Mummy kissed him on the forehead, but not on his scar. Harry didn't like people to touch his scar and Mummy knew it. Daddy said, "The sooner you go to sleep, the sooner Father Christmas will arrive."

His mummy asked, "Are you comfortable enough, Harry? Do you need another pillow?"

Harry nodded. "I'm fine." He was just a little bit scared, but not too scared. After all, his cousins were all in sleeping bags too, with their mummies and daddies kissing them goodnight. Harry was a big boy. If they could sleep in the library and not be scared, so could he.

For the first couple of nights they were at Grandma and Grandpa's, he had slept in Uncle Daniel's old room, but now his cousins and aunts were all here, the grownups slept in their old bedrooms and the kids slept together in the library.

It wasn't all bad. In fact, part of it was kind of fun, because before bedtime, Grandpa told them the story, T'was the Night Before Christmas. Grandma cast a spell so they could all see the story happening in the air. It was really neat because the people in the story sort of looked liked ghosts and everybody glowed and you could see through them. Harry had seen lots of magic since he came to live with his daddy, but he was sure that story was the most magical thing he had ever seen.

The first two days they were there, Harry got a chance to help Grandpa, Daddy and Uncle Allen in the basement potions lab. But it was mostly Harry and Grandpa as Daddy, Mummy, and Grandma were making plans for the wedding. Grandpa would tell Harry what he needed, and Harry would get it for him. Grandpa said Harry's job was very important and he called Harry his 'seeing-eye kid.' Uncle Allen said that made Harry very special because that is what Grandpa used to call him when he was little.

His cousins had only come earlier that day and they were only staying for one night because they could all go home by Floo. Harry found out he had seven cousins. Aunt Terri was Mummy's big sister and she had four children; Frank, Charlotte, Lizzie, and Lisa. Frank was the oldest. He was eleven. He had brown hair like Aunt Terri and was a bit bossy because he was the biggest, but he was not as mean as Dudley had been. Harry reckoned there had never been a kid meaner than Dudley. Charlotte and Lizzie and Lisa were eight. They were triplets. Harry found out that meant they were born at the same time, like Fred and George. But unlike Fred and George they didn't look the same.

Charlotte and Lisa had blonde hair like Mummy and Lizzie had black hair like their daddy, Uncle Jimmy. Uncle Richard and Aunt Karen had two sons, Ricky, who was five, and Mikey, who was three. They both had sandy hair. Even though Ricky was younger than Harry, he was bigger than him, but Harry was still faster. Way in Grandma and Grandpa's back garden was a little river that branched off from the big river. There was a small white footbridge that went across it. Harry beat everybody but Frank in a race to that bridge and back earlier in the afternoon.

Uncle Danny and Aunt Nicole's baby, Brian was the littlest. He wasn't even a year old. Even Mummy had met him for the first time today. It was Brian's first Christmas. Harry felt a bit sorry for Mikey and Brian. They were too little to camp out with the big kids and had to sleep in their Mummy and Daddy's rooms.

What Harry had liked most about his cousins, is that they did not know who he was. At home, everybody treated him so strange. They were too nice to him before the even knew him and they always stared at his scar. Ricky had asked how Harry got his scar and Lisa told him it was rude to ask such things and the subject was dropped. Harry was sure he would tell them someday, but right now, he did not want to ruin a happy time with such a sad story.

More than anything else, Harry's cousins were fascinated with his strange accent. Though, truth be told, Harry thought it was they who had the strange accents. They were also a bit jealous because Harry actually knew their great-great-grandfather when they had only heard tales of Pawpaw and his goats.

After they returned from an afternoon Christmas service at Grandma and Grandpa's church, they decorated the tree and it would stay up for twelve days.

Harry had lots of fun with his cousins today. They helped decorate the big Christmas tree in the sitting room. Grandma and Grandpa gave each of their children's families a special bobble for the tree. Each had been of a different colour and on one side they read, 'Charleston-1986.' One the other side was the family name with everybody's first names. Harry, Mummy and Daddy's bobble was silver with green lettering. On the other side it read, 'Snape-Severus, Lucy, and Harry.' Grandpa said that they could take the ornament home with them and put it on their own tree next year, if they didn't come back to Charleston, that is. Harry hoped they would come back to Charleston.

Last year had been Harry's first real Christmas, but this year felt even more special. Last year, it was just Harry and his daddy, but this year, they part of a whole new family. A family that would always be theirs.

They had a simple supper of soup and sandwiches, because Grandma, Mummy, the aunts and even Uncle Allen were busy making special preparations for Christmas dinner. Grandpa helped the children make cookies and popcorn balls. They had to make a lot because they need to make sure there was enough left for Father Christmas. Harry's cousins called him Santa Claus. Daddy helped the other uncles put up the rest of the decorations.

With all of the wonderful smell of food and Christmas pine and the bright lights, candles, and holly. Harry thought Grandma and Grandpa's house had to be prettiest place in the world. It was even prettier than Hogwarts. No wonder Mummy liked it so.

Shortly before bedtime, Daddy had taken Mummy outside on the porch to be alone. Harry knew why. He was going to give Mummy her special present. Harry knew what it was because he found it. Daddy was going to give Mummy her 'n'gagement' ring.

Harry went to a jewellery shop with Daddy in Muggle London not long before school let out. Harry had picked out a broach for his mummy that had the white face of a lady. Daddy said it was called a 'cameo.' But while Daddy was talking to the sales lady about diamond rings, Harry spotted a different ring. Without knowing why, Harry knew it was special, as there was no other ring like it. The ring was silver coloured, but instead of a diamond in the middle, it had a dark pearl. Harry thought the pearl looked dark green, but the sales lady said it was a 'natural black pearl.' On either side of the pearl was three small diamonds. Daddy liked it right away. He said the ring was 'beautiful, simple, and rare,' just like Mummy. Harry had agreed. After talking to the sales lady for a long time and signing some papers, Daddy got the ring.

His Daddy and Mummy did not seem to notice that everyone was peeking at them from behind the curtains. And if the kiss Mummy gave Daddy was any indication, she really liked the ring.

As Harry was closing his eyes for the night, he reflected on how special the day had been, and it wasn't even Christmas yet. It felt good to be a part of such a big family.

Although Harry would not recognise the feeling at the tender age of six, somewhere deep down, he knew that this Christmas would remain one of his most special.

***25 December, 1986***

Severus just entered the library to wake the children just as Frank began to shake Harry out of his sleep.

"Harry, wake up!"

Harry shot up out of his sleeping bag from a dead sleep, as if he had missed out on Christmas. "Whazzit! I'm up!" Harry's hands scrambled around the floor in search of his glasses. "Where're my glasses?"

"They are right here," said Severus as took the small glasses from the pocket of his housecoat. "You gave them to me last night so that you wouldn't roll over and break them. Remember?"

Harry wasn't the only child to run to Severus. He was suddenly greeted with a chorus of "Uncle Severus!" and bombarded with what seemed to be a thousand questions from all directions.

"Did he come?"
"Are there lots of presents?"
"Is there one shaped like a Cleansweep?"
"How full are the stocki...?"

"Just one moment," Severus had to shout over the throng. The room became instantly silent. "I know I may be new here, but Grandma did tell me the rules. Breakfast first."

Severus knew Esther had a wonderful breakfast awaiting them in the dining room and normally the children would probably make a run for it like ravenous hounds.

Severus frog-stepped the lot of them out of the library and into a large washroom with two sinks.

He had only intended to give Harry his glasses. How was it he suddenly had charge five children, four of which he only just met, yet had the gall to call him 'Uncle Severus?'

Then it dawned on him. He was 'Uncle Severus.' He supposed he would be labelled the 'mean uncle' as he was forcing them to wash and eat breakfast before they opened presents. It wasn't fare really. It was Esther's rule. With the exception of Harry, Severus didn't care if the lot of them passed out from hunger in favour of opening a few gifts.

Though Severus must admit, a 'few' gifts was definitely an inadequate description. There were five families in the house at present and one could barely step into the sitting room for the amount of gifts. Some years ago, Severus had spent a Christmas with Lucius Malfoy. That was the only other time in Severus' life he had ever seen so many packages assembled in one place.

Severus had to admit to himself, he was enjoying his holiday and his new in-laws had been as pleasant as the mild weather. Even Teresa's husband, James (of all names), who seemed to have as much in common with Severus as a chimney sweep to an Oxford scholar, found common ground in their love of chess. True, James could not tell the difference between monkshood and aconite, but neither could Severus tell the difference between a V-8 and a Slant-6 engine.

Severus did enjoy the company of his new family as they chatted over breakfast, but if it wasn't for Harry, Severus truly wouldn't have much interest in the rest of the celebration.

He already received his Christmas—the smile on Lucy's face when he put his ring on her finger. Severus needed no other gift for himself. He would be paying on credit for that ring for quite some time, but once he saw it, nothing else would compare. True, it wasn't a diamond, but no diamond called out to him. They all seemed so ordinary and Lucy was anything but ordinary. He had been afraid that Lucy would not realise the sentiment behind the black pearl, but he should have realised that she would know straight away.

As they ate and talked, Severus and Lucy held hands under the table. He felt reassured by this, and did not feel quite so socially awkward around these strangers in whom he now called 'family.'

The more time Severus spent with Lucy's family...his family, the more he could see how Lucy was a product of her upbringing. Richard and Esther had only set two expectations for their children. 'Do what you love' and 'put your heart into it.' Richard said he wouldn't have cared if one of his children became a street sweeper. As long as long as they took pride in their work, he would take pride in them. The couple had recognised the special talents and interests in each of their children and encouraged them to pursue their dreams.

Lucy had been especially hard on them. She had been an exceptional child with a near photographic memory. There was little that Lucy had to read or be told twice. She excelled early in academics and magic, and though they were afraid that she might be denied her childhood, they were also afraid that if they held her back, she would become restless and bored, then eventually give up trying.

Lucy's grandmother, Mary, was certain Lucy had early signs of rivalling Albus one day if she so chose. But unlike Albus, Lucy's passions were not in the pursuit of power through magic, but rather power through knowledge. Albus might be the superior magus, but Lucy had quickly proved herself the superior scholar. If, in fifty years, Lucy was in the Headmistresses chair, it would not surprise Severus. Learning and teaching what she learned was Lucy's life and gift. And it was all due to Esther and Richard and their heart wrenching decision to recognise that Lucy had to spread her wings at an early age.

Severus did not know if he would have the courage to let go of Harry if the situation should arise. If he was half as successful at raising his children as Richard and Esther were at raising theirs, Severus would feel it a job well done.


"Whoa! A real volcano! Thank you, Grandma. Thank you, Grandpa!" Harry ran over to Lucy's mama and wrapped his arms around her neck in a tight hug. He then did the same to her daddy.

"My, but you know how to hug a body," Harry's new grandma cheerfully noted. "If you think you can finish it before you go home, you and Grandpa can work on it downstairs starting tomorrow."

"I can't think of anything I'd rather do," Daddy said, "What do you say, Harry?"

"If we get it done before we go home, I can show it to Ron and Fred and George straight away."

Lucy asked curiously, "What about Percy and Ginny? Can't they see it too?"

"Of course they can see it, they..." before Harry could finish his cheek and land himself in trouble on Christmas morning Lisa ran up and grabbed him by the hand.

"Come on, Harry! Frank's gonna try out his broom. Maybe he'll let us try."

Severus got up quickly, "I think a little supervision may be in order."

Lucy grabbed his hand and yanked him back down in his seat. "Don't worry about them Severus. Terri and Richard are out there. They won't let anything happen to the children."

"There's no harm in watching the kids fly," Daddy said "Come on, Severus. You can be my eyes for a while."

Severus arose and said, "Why don't you join us, darling?"

Lucy placed on hand on the arm of the couch and the other in the small of her back as she arose. Severus noticed her struggle and help her up. "I would, but someone needs to help Mama."

"I think you need to go upstairs and rest, dear." Coming from Mama, it was more of an order than a suggestion. "I have plenty of hands to help when I need them. You men go outside. I'll see Lucy to bed."


Lucy awoke in a cold sweat not long before dinner. She cursed herself for sleeping the day away, but she had been ever so tired.

She had the strangest dream. She tried to remember the dream but all she could recall was a sense of loss followed by a feeling of comfort. No images came to mind when she tried to come closer to the core of the dream, yet her conflicting emotions remained as she rose to dress for the rest of the festivities. As uneasy as she felt over the dream, she decided not to dwell upon it. After all, it was only a dream.

***9:32 p.m.***

Christmas night was clear and chill as three generations of family enjoyed the rest of the holiday outside. The children gathered close to the river to watch the parade of gaily lit yachts slowly drift their way down the river. Daniel and Richard had already left with their families. Their young ones had become tired and restless and needed to be put to bed. Teresa and her family would leave after the boat parade. At present, Teresa, James, and Allen were down on the boat landing with the children.

Severus sat on a front porch swing with Lucy curled up with her head in his lap. Severus' attention was not on the boats or the children, or even Lucy, but rather he was engrossed...no...enchanted with his in-laws.

Richard and Esther sat in companionable silence on an identical porch swing on the opposite end of the portico. Richard had his arm wrapped around Esther, his face buried in her hair as Esther leaned into him. Severus could not remember ever seeing two people so in love. He wondered if he were to gaze into a crystal ball, would he see the same vision of himself and Lucy? Everything he felt for Lucy, he saw mirrored in Richard and Esther. Would this be a vision of their life in thirty or so years, sitting in the garden, watching their grand-children at play, proud of the legacy they were leaving to the world?'

Severus stroked Lucy's hair and looked out to the boat landing as he heard Harry's laughter chime along with that of his new cousins. Severus did not need to wait thirty years, or twenty, or one. He leaned over and kissed his sleeping Lucy on her head. If he were to die right at this very moment, he had every reason to be proud of the legacy he would leave behind.

The End.
End Notes:
Yes, I am back. Sorry it took so long between updates, but August was a very bad month for me (I pretty much was so stressed I couldn't write) and I am now busy with my college senior seminar. But the urge to write has overtaken me again and I will attempt to get you one or two chapters a month, but school must come first.

But not to worry. Chapter 35 is done will be to you as soon as my beta has cast her magic.

Speaking of betas, thank you once again to my beta, Tambra. I don't know how I ever managed without her. And thank you to all of you who have stuck with me through my endeavour. I love all ya'll. (As Lucy might say, "all ya'll" is plural for "ya'll.")

~Missyann
Revenge by missyanne

***25 December, 1986-Hogwarts School***

If it weren't for the thin vale of angelic song in the wind, Kenneth would not be aware that it was Christmas—not that he gave a damn.

He couldn't remember the last time he was so cold. But it could be worse. He could be in his human form and freeze to death. He had considered abandoning his new rookery and seeking shelter in the abandoned shack on the outskirts of the village, but as he did not have a wand, he would have to make fire to keep warm. That was out of the question. Fire produced smoke and smoke would attract attention. As a result, Kenneth kept to his Animagus form. As cold as he was, he was still more suited for survival amongst the elements, and he could keep watch for signs of Lucy and Snape unhindered practically outside their own window, as it were. That is if he knew which of the castle's hundreds of windows belonged to them.

For the time being, Kenneth was content to remain a bird. It had been so long since he had been a human; he could hardly recall what he looked like. He was certain if he were to see himself again, he would not recognise his own face. He could not recall the last time he shaved, or even showered. The closest Kenneth had come to bathing for quite some time was a quick dip of his feathers in icy cold waters. No doubt, he would reek once he returned to his old self, but he hardly cared. His body odour would be the least of Lucy's and Snape's worries once he made his way into the castle.

There were few students and a skeletal staff occupying the halls of the castle and Kenneth had seen no sign of Lucy or Snape since he arrived two days ago. Kenneth had assumed that they might have left on holiday, but nearly panicked himself with the thought that they would never return. Fortunately, earlier in the morning, as his murder descended upon the village to raid the previous night's rubbish, he thought to check in on Lucy's great-grandfather.

As Kenneth found a hiding place in the rafters of a dilapidated barn, the old man doted over his infernal goats. His even older brother came to pay visit. Funny...Lucy often mentioned how the two wizards could hardly stand the other's presence, yet there they were, amicably discussing some sort of building project they were collaborating on. From what little Kenneth could understand, it had something to do with Snape's home. Kenneth hoped to overhear a disclosed location, but no such luck. He did, however, discover another vital bit of information. Snape and Lucy would return from holiday on January 2nd. That gave Kenneth something he desperately needed—time to devise a plan.

As getting his hands on the Potter boy would prove to be near impossible and Snape was far too powerful for Kenneth to consider taking on in his current condition. That meant Lucy was Kenneth's most likely target. The rub was to get her separated from her wand. Lucy was deadly with her wand in hand, of that he had no doubt. But Kenneth could easily physically overpower her if he could manage an ambush.

He now had no delusions that Lucy would ever return to him and unfortunately for her, that left Kenneth with only one alternative.

Revenge.

***3 January, 1987-12:33 a.m.-Spinner's End***

It was good to be home again. Severus never thought he could equate that sentiment with this old place. But no longer was it an 'old place.'

When they had returned home that morning, Severus, Lucy, and Harry had initially thought they had stepped into the wrong house. If it wasn't for the fact that Lucy recognised her own furniture, they might have turned and left. Soon after they arrived, Albus and Aberforth had popped out from their hiding places along with the Weasleys, Remus, and Black. His family had been greeted with a surprise house warming party.

Severus had given Albus and Aberforth access to his home whilst he and his family were gone so the two brothers could build an elaborate play-set for Harry in the garden. Imagine the surprise when they come home to find not only Harry's new play set, but the house entirely remodelled.

Obviously Albus was not the only Dumbledore adept at trickery. Aberforth had silently Confunded Severus into leaving the plans to the house remodel at the pub. In an unprecedented show of fraternal solidarity, the brother's took it upon themselves to pool together their resources and magic to turn Severus' and Lucy's dreams into a reality. It was a combination Christmas and early wedding present. Even more astounding, due to Albus' amazing talent to manipulate Wizarding Space on a large scale, the house was actually larger than Severus and Lucy originally planned.

Severus and Lucy's combined home office was now large enough to accommodate both of their extensive book collections. That in itself was a truly powerful feat of magic in Severus' opinion.

The upper floor not only contained Harry's enlarged bedroom and their master suite with an attached nursery, but also two additional rooms for guests or additional children. Albus and Aberforth had left the nursery and two additional rooms empty. Lucy was looking forward to decorating the nursery herself and no one would take that joy from her. The use for the two spare rooms would be for Severus and Lucy to determine.

It was a bold step taken by the brothers. It was quite possible that Lucy and Severus would not have appreciated the changes made. But Albus was almost as familiar with Severus' likes and dislikes as Aberforth was certain of his granddaughter's. The remodel had taken a huge burden off of Severus' shoulders and he was especially grateful to his new family. All that was left for he and Lucy begin their new life was the wedding and the birth of the baby.

Severus turned over in bed, his arm propping his head high enough to watch Lucy sleeping. She lay on her side with her back to him, looking beautiful despite the drool that seeped into her pillow. Her belly had grown to the point that she had some difficulty sleeping on her back. Poppy had assured him that Lucy and the baby were doing quite well. Esther had conducted her own examination on her daughter and confirmed Poppy's diagnosis. Yet Severus still could not help but worry.

Lucy was a small adult. He doubted her five foot one frame weighed nine stone if she were to emerge from the Black Lake fully clothed. She was only just approaching her third trimester and Severus thought she looked as though the baby would make an appearance any day now. As of late, and much to Lucy's frustration, Severus treated more like the fragile china doll he thought she resembled. If by some miracle she managed to carry Felicity to full term, he feared the birth would be a difficult one on both mother and baby.

Severus reached around Lucy and rested his hand over the baby. He could feel her little movements coming deep from within and smiled. More often than not, Severus actually forgot that he had not fathered her. Severus had been there from the moment Lucy realised her pregnancy and he had been there for her every step of the way. He had seen every image as the child developed in Lucy's womb and he knew every nuance of the unborn child's face almost as well as he knew Lucy's and Harry's.

It was unfair that Musgrave had any claim to the little angel. He did not deserve to claim her. Yes, Felicity would be given Severus' name but she would know someday that she was not wholly his. Severus hated that. Musgrave may have provided the seed, but Severus had provided, and would continue to provide, everything else that would matter to Felicity for the entirety of her life. Severus did not want to share his roll with his daughter with Musgrave or anyone else.

Severus had not realised how tightly he was holding Lucy until she began to stir. She turned her head to face him, her eyes barely open, "Hmm? Severus?" she asked sleepily. "What's the matter, sweetheart?"

"Nothing, darling. I did not mean to wake you. Go back to sleep."

Severus realised at that moment it would never serve any purpose to keep his thoughts from Lucy. She was now wide awake and adjusted her now damp pillow so she could lean back. "Something's bothering you, I can tell. What is it?"

Severus' head was still propped as he looked up at Lucy. "I don't want her to know."

Lucy looked slightly confused. "Who to know what?"

"Felicity," Severus clarified as he adjusted his own pillow and joined Lucy against the headboard. "I don't want Felicity ever to know about Musgrave. I want my name on her birth record."

"The Ministry already knows Kenneth is..."

"No. Don't say it, Lucy. I am her father. We can claim that our relationship started earlier and there was a mistake in paternity. Musgrave doesn't deserve any claim to her."

Lucy was obviously concerned over this. "Severus, it's not that I give a damn about what this would do to my personal reputation, but you are talking about falsifying the official record."

"Do you honestly believe the Ministry will care who is listed as father and the bureaucrats won't know one record from the next, so there will be no investigation. Poppy will be filling out the papers. She only believes that Musgrave is the father because you told her as much. If we tell her otherwise, she will believe our story. Musgrave deserves no part in our little girl's life and I won't have her questioning my love for her simply because I had no part in her conception."

Lucy's face softened at Severus' declaration, yet she was still sceptical. "I totally agree with you, Severus. But what if Kenneth doesn't feel that way? I know he has lost his paternal rights, but what if he comes around in the future looking for her? What will we tell her?"

"That he lies," Severus stated adamantly. "We tell her I am her father, I have always been her father and always will be, and it will be the truth." The only flaw Severus found in his logic was if a medical situation arose, but that would be an obstacle to address if it ever crossed their path.

Severus knew he was being jealous and selfish, but he did not care. His heart had claimed Lucy's daughter just as fiercely as it had claimed Lucy and there would be hell to pay to anyone who threatened that claim.

Lucy leaned over and took Severus' face into her hands, then gently kissed his lips. "I love you so much, Severus Tobias," she said as she warmly smiled. "You are the best husband and father a woman could hope for."

***7 January, 1987***

For once, Lucy was thankful for Severus' impatience with his students. It was only the second day of the second term, and Severus had already assigned detention to two of his students. It would not be the first time Hufflepuffs paid for their loyalty to their House mates and it certainly would not be the last.

Two of Severus' O.W.L. students had made the unforgivable offence of walking in ten minutes late to Severus' lecture. They attempted to excuse themselves by claiming one of their second year mates had misplaced her wand and they had been held up in the search.

Predictably, Severus was hardly sympathetic. He caustically asked why, as fifth year students, had they not cast a simple Accio and summon the wand rather than conduct a fruitless and time consuming manual search.

The teens admitted that in their panic, such an obvious course of action had not occurred to them. They meekly told Severus that if their House mate had not found her wand by the time they returned to the common room, they would try the spell.

Unfortunately for the two, confession of ignorance had done nothing to ellicit Severus' sympathy. They would spend their evening pulverising the eyes of dart frogs for the school's stores.

In the meantime, Lucy would pick up Harry from the Weasley's and make a special trip to Diagon Alley. Severus' birthday was the coming Friday. Lucy had a custom Potion Encyclopaedia made for him. It was ready and she and Harry would go together to pick it up this evening. The cover was green hand-dyed leather with sliver leaf and Severus' full name embossed on the cover. The book binder promised it would be one of a kind and quite exquisite.

Although Lucy had tried to talk them out of it, the staff was planning a 'small' party for Severus at the Hog's Head, Friday night. At least she had talked Minerva into telling Severus what they had planned. Lucy wasn't certain if Severus wanted a party at all, but the last thing he would appreciate was to be surprised with one.

She walked down the flight of stairs and into the dark dungeon corridor that led to Severus' classroom. She rarely came this direction. Though they lived in the dungeon and she often visited Severus in his office, she normally used the inter-school Floo system. But she had just finished meeting with Albus and the Board of Governors in order to attempt to reinstate her class outings now that Sirius Black no longer posed a threat to the students. She chose to walk to the dungeons to give herself some time to think.

Severus had been opposed to Lucy supervising any outings off castle grounds and he would not be happy that the governors had approved her request. She had to assure Severus that she would take necessary precautions.

There had still been no word of Kenneth and Lucy had to admit, she was a bit scared. But she could not let her life be dictated by 'what ifs.' If she remained cloistered away from the greater world, then Kenneth would still be controlling her life and she would not give him that power.

She had learned a bit of interesting information. Lucius Malfoy had not heard from Kenneth. He had pulled Lucy aside and asked her to have Kenneth contact him should she hear from her ex-fiancé. Lucy had no desire to hear from her ex, but she assured Mr. Malfoy she would pass on the message on the off chance she spoke to Kenneth.

A part of her was concerned. What had happened to Kenneth? She did not wish to see him, but neither did she want to see him hurt. It had been over two months since the last time anyone had seen Kenneth alive and the more time passed, the likelier it was he had met a sticky end.

She hoped that it wasn't the case. Hopefully, he had chosen to forget her and start a new life for himself elsewhere. The hope of that happening was slim, but slim hope was better than no hope at all. She shuddered to think that he had died alone on the ocean or had silently fallen prey to some beast in a far off forest. Lucy had fallen out of love with Kenneth long ago, but she could not help but to still care what happened to him.

She slowly opened the door to Severus' classroom. His charges had yet to arrive and he was taking a working super at his desk up on the dais. He did not see Lucy enter.

"Good. You're eating."

Severus wiped his mouth with his serviette. He had not been surprised by Lucy's arrival. He asked with a small frown on his face, "Did they approve your request?"

"Yes they did." Severus did not seem thrilled at the answer, but she knew he had not expected otherwise. "The budget had already been approved last term. Now that the students are no longer in danger, there is no reason not to return to the original plans."

Severus arose from his desk and went to Lucy where she was now seated at one of the student works desks. He calmly voiced his own concern. "How about you, Lucy? What of the danger to you?"

"Severus, it's been over two months. Neither Sirius Black nor Lucius Malfoy have heard from him and they were the closest he had to friends. I don't think I have anything to worry about from Kenneth anymore, but I promise to take every precaution nonetheless." Lucy thought if she kept telling herself there was nothing to worry about, she would come to believe it.

"Do you have the doll?"

Damn it. She had left it in her desk.

Severus must have noticed a guilty chagrin on her face.

"Just promise to take it with you when you and Harry pick up my birthday present."

"How did you kn..."

"Don't worry," Severus said in amusement. "I don't know what it is. But what other reason would you have to take Harry to Diagon Alley so soon after Christmas?"

"I suppose I've been caught." Lucy arose and lifted her head to meet Severus' eyes. "Anything you want me to bring back while I'm there?"

"Nothing you can purchase in the presence of a six year old boy," Severus answered with a suggestive quirking of his eyebrows.

"Perhaps I should let you go shopping." Lucy stood on her toes so she could reach Severus' lips with hers...just in time to hear adolescent tittering at the door.

Lucy and Severus quickly regained their composure, but there was no arguing that the two fifth year Hufflepuffs had just caught their Potion's and History professors in an intimate moment. Severus was the first to find his voice.

"Mister Ramsey, Miss McGillicutty. If you do not wish to make personal donations to my Potion stores, I suggest you put your eyes back into your heads—now!"

The teens sobered hastily, "Yes, Sir!"

"I believe you know what to do."

Mr. Ramsey and Miss McGillicutty scrambled over to the work bench where several buckets of slimy dead frogs awaited them before they could acquire anymore of the Potion professor's wrath.

"I should be picking up Harry now," Lucy said, still feeling the slight prickle on her skin from her embarassment.

Severus turned back to Lucy as if the incident never happened. "I'll be home by nine-thirty," he said then planted a quick peck on Lucy's cheek before he swept back to his desk.

Before Lucy left the room, she glanced over to see two heads hurriedly turn their attention to their unpleasant task.

One thing was certain. The gossip mill would be in Hufflepuff would be running full steam tonight.


Lucy was as bad as Severus' Hufflepuff detainees. She had been so flustered over being caught kissing Severus by his students, she neglected to use his Floo to get to her office.

Although it was only five o'clock, with the exception of the sconce lighting, the entire castle was cloaked in darkness. Not only had she left that blasted voodoo doll that Severus insisted that she carry, she had forgotten the claim ticket for Severus' gift. She was running late, but she still had plenty of time to pick up Harry then make it to the bookbinder before he closed shop at six-thirty.

The corridors around the Great Hall and library were still abuzz with student activity, but the halls that lead to that lead to the classrooms were eerily quiet.

With a simple wave of her hand, the door to her locked classroom recognised her magic and admitted her entrance.

There was enough moonlight streaming through the windows to allow her to continue to her office without bringing up the lights.

"Cuthbert?" She called out. It was too quiet. Lately the old ghost had taken to haunting the library and offering his unsolicited help to students with their homework. Oddly enough, the classroom seemed to feel even more haunted without the phantom's familiar lingering presence.

As she entered her dark office, there was a definite chill in the air. When had she opened the small window behind her desk?

Lucy walked the open expanse of floor to close the window, when her office door slammed shut behind her, leaving her in near total darkness as her only window did not face the moon.

It had only just dawned on her that her office lights did not automatically come up when she entered. She supposed the old spells must be fading. When Cuthbert had inhabited this office, he had no use for such spells after he died. As a result, many of the offices imbedded convenience spells had been not been updated and were now unreliable.

Lucy was about to pull her wand from her robe to cast a Lumos, when a pungent, sickly sweet odour accosted her. She moved to put her hand over her mouth in an attempt to keep from vomiting, when to her horror, she realised she was unable to talk or move.

"Tut, tut, tut...now we mustn't have any of your wand waving, my dear."

Lucy's heart froze. She knew that voice.

She couldn't see him, but she could feel the heat of his stale breath on her neck...and she was at his mercy. She prayed that he had mercy left in him.

"Hello darling," Kenneth whispered seductively into her ear. "Did you miss me?"

The End.
End Notes:
I'm glad ya'll can't see me. Because if looks could kill, I know I'd be a dead woman.

Thank you again, Tambra (Please, don't hate me too much).

~Missyann
The Rook Takes the Queen by missyanne
Author's Notes:
This chapter may be disturbing to some readers, as it was definitely disturbing for this author. This chapter includes sexually explicit language and scenes of violence against a woman, including sexual molestation and attempted rape.

If you feel, this chapter may be too disturbing, you may wish to skip it. The next chapter will go over most of what happened to Lucy without the graphic detail. But this is a scene that cannot be sanitised or glossed over. Reader discretion is advised.

***7 January, 1987-5:12 p.m. ***

He found her. He had her at his mercy. Now, what to do with her?

Finding her had consumed his every waking and sleeping moment for these past three months. A number of different scenarios had paraded through his psyche since she rejected him; every one had left her begging.

Begging to be taken back… begging for more…begging for mercy…begging for death.

The only question was, now that he had her, what entreaties did he want her to plead? Kenneth was certain of one thing, he had suffered too long and come too far to leave without satisfaction…and he would get it tonight.

He had located Lucy's classroom and office only three days previously. Kenneth had been spying through the myriad amount windows throughout the castle in an effort to find any sign of Lucy or Snape. He had come across Lucy just off a small interior courtyard. Other rooks and ravens had occupied the trees directly outside of Lucy's room, making easy work for Kenneth to remain inconspicuous.

Lucy had been alone most of that first afternoon as she prepared for her upcoming lessons and Kenneth regretted the missed opportunity. He was fully aware that he was no match for Lucy in his state and before he could act, he needed a wand—and he needed to separate Lucy from her own.

Even if he had his own wand, loathe though he was to admit, Lucy was quite capable of out-duelling him. His only chance to subdue her was to disarm her, and to do that he had to catch her off guard. That was no easy feat with Snape or Dumbledore lurking about. To approach Lucy face to face was foolhardy. To come face to face with Snape or the Headmaster was suicidal.

The opportunity Kenneth needed presented itself to him only early this very morning. A few students had taken advantage of the newly fallen snow and indulged in a pre-breakfast snowball fight. One of the younger children had left her wand lying barely visible sticking out from a snow bank. After the children vanished inside the castle, Kenneth moved quickly to snatch the wand and flew off before the girl had a chance to realise it was missing.

Just out of sight of the heart of the interior courtyard and behind the wall directly behind Lucy's office was a small nook that may have once been part of a long forgotten overgrown flower garden.

The snow had banked up against the castle wall, providing Kenneth with a well concealed hiding place for his stolen prize. A small, round stained glass window that entered into Lucy's office was just above. It was the only window and possible access into her office from the outside.

Kenneth had only to wait, unsure of the time it would take for Lucy to return, but he could afford to be patient. He had a wand, an excellent hiding spot, and he had Lucy in his sights. It was only a matter of time before her lessons would end and she would be alone.

Kenneth had been disappointed as students lingered behind to speak to Lucy after her final lesson of the day and she had escorted one of the upper year teenage boys out of her class without going back to her office. It seemed as if Lucy had no intention of returning. Kenneth decided then, that it was actually the perfect opportunity.

The students were just beginning to return to their Houses and as cold as it was outside, it was unlikely that any students would venture into the courtyard this evening. The low overcast clouds slowly moved across the rising half- moon and hastened the waning daylight in the Highlands. Kenneth slipped behind the tall castle wall without fear of exposure.

Once certain he would not be seen, Kenneth implemented his plan. He had intended to quickly transform back to his human form, use the purloined wand to open Lucy's office window, make use of his avian form once again, fly into the window with the wand and find a place to hide himself until morning. He had not considered what it would like to be human once again.

Upon transforming, Kenneth crashed to his knees, his human legs unused to supporting his mass. He almost panicked, wondering if it would take time to adjust to being human again, just as it had taken time to adjust to being avian.

His human body felt alien to him. His body trembled as he outstretched his arm and leaned in to the solid stone wall for support. It was strange...the feeling of wholeness. A single hot tear streaked down his filth encrusted cheek.

Skin.

How long had it been since he had felt his own human skin? It was dirty and rough and peeling along the bridge of his nose, but it was his own. His grimy had traced the stinging tear down his cheek, and Kenneth felt the rough mat of several months' growth of facial hair. When his hand came across his beard and under his nose, he was appalled at the odour.

He was uncertain how to feel. He was all at once become elated and terrified. The sensations that rushed through his body were almost too intense to process. A very real part of Kenneth wanted to change back into a rook and never have to deal with such consciousness again. Then again...his revenge...and possibly carnal bliss lay only a window sill away.

His mind and body were flooded with memories...memories of Lucy's dewy soft skin and her gently fragranced hair... how their bodies fit so easily together. His body reacted to the memory. He wanted her, but when the time came, could he take her? He wasn't concerned if he would suddenly have second thoughts and leave her to her life. He only hoped that he would have the physical strength to do what he had set out to do.

Kenneth was under no delusions. If he was to exact his revenge, he had better do it right the first time, for there would be no second.

He had briefly considered outright kidnapping, but it simply was not practical. He thought he might perhaps Imperius Lucy into following him, but that opened up a whole new set of problems. At the moment he was unsure what he would do, only that before he left and spent the rest of his life in hiding, Lucy would sorely regret shunning him in favour of Snape.

He knew he would be a hunted man for the rest of his natural life. But honestly... what did it matter when he was already a hunted man? At least he would know that Lucy, and by extension, Snape, had finally been punished for their sins. Together, Lucy and Snape had ruined his life. It was only fitting that Kenneth returned the favour.

Kenneth had no intention of running forever. As intimidating as the thought of remaining human was, he wanted his humanity back, or something similar to humanity. Once he left the shell of what was once Lucy behind, he would steal the identity of an unsuspecting Muggle, Apparate to Southampton and Confund the captain of an outbound merchant ship heading to South Africa or Australia into giving him employment. From there Kenneth hoped to find a small gold or diamond claim somewhere in the wilderness and never be heard from again.

He began to shiver from the cold and it was enough to snap him back to reality and focus on the task at hand. His tattered prison garb was mean protection against the biting winter wind.

Kenneth withdrew his wand from its hiding with a shaking hand and pointed it at Lucy's window. Surprisingly enough, a simple Alohomora was all it took to open it. It was a small window...barely large enough for a young child to pass through.

He morphed back into a rook, more than a bit confused and concerned that he found the form felt more comforting and safe than his human one. As he flew up to the open window with his wand in his taloned foot, Kenneth was more determined than ever to exact retribution. Not only had Lucy emasculated him, it was also her fault he was slowly losing his humanity.

Entering the office was a bit of a shock. It was warm and the feeling was even more alien than his human body. Assuming he would be alone until morning, Kenneth left the window so the temperature of the room would moderate.

Thus far, fortune had smiled upon Kenneth. There had been no alarm on the tiny window, but he did not intend on pushing his luck. He cast a spell that would disrupt the lighting should anyone enter the office unexpectedly, then cast a Lumos and assessed Lucy's office.

The window, now open much like a port side window on a ship, was along the wall just left of the hearth. Although it allowed for some slight air circulation, it did little to add light.

With the exception of the stone walls and the fact that the space was practically windowless, it was almost exactly like her old office at the university. The monographs and texts she used for her lessons lined the walls to the side and opposite her desk.

Lucy's desk, her prized reproduction of the original Resolute desk, sat proudly before the hearth, taking up nearly a full third of the open space in the office. Kenneth sat on its corner and ran his hand along the smooth mahogany.

He remembered when Lucy bought the desk. She purchased it with her first royalty check from her last book. As proud as she had been, she was upset that she had to settle for mahogany rather than English oak. With a wicked grin, Kenneth remembered how they celebrated the desk. Perhaps he would repeat the performance with Lucy later on.

Kenneth continued to look about the office. Atop the mantle was small rectangular porcelain box. It was cream coloured, with hand painted roses and gold scrolling. He had given her that box on her last birthday. He opened it. She still stored her Floo powder within. Deciding that she had no use of anything of sentimental value from him, he callously tossed the fragile box out the window. Besides, it wouldn't do to have Lucy get her hands on her Floo powder.

He decided to change back into a rook in order to discern if there was any place to hide amongst the broken crevices in the wall. He was investigating a rather promising gap between the hearth and the wall when he heard footsteps approach the office from the outside classroom. He remained low to the floor, his small black form easily hidden by the shadows.

His tiny heart was racing fast enough to beat itself out of his chest. It was Lucy...and she was alone. There was no sign of Snape or any students and Kenneth had decided to take his chance.

Now here he was. He had transformed silently in the dark and had managed to catch Lucy off guard with a barely whispered Petrificus Totalus.

"Hello darling, did you miss me?" he whispered into her ear as he breathed in the scent of her. Even heavy with the burden of a child, he desired her. He felt his erection rising. He no longer had any doubts of what he was capable of...soon Lucy would have no doubts either...


Dear God no!

 

How had this happened? Kenneth was there...right now...and she was incapable of defending herself.

With the exception of Severus, no one knew where she was, and Severus was supervising detention. He would not be home for hours. Neither would he expect her to be home anytime soon.

Lucy's only hope was that Molly would call Severus when she was late to pick up Harry. But that could take another hour. By then it could be too late.

She could not even move her eyes to plead with Kenneth. Whatever happened, she could not let him hurt the baby. Every inch of her tried to scream as Kenneth's open hand caressed her thigh as he probed into her pocket to take her wand.

"You won't have need for this, dear Lucy," Kenneth lazily drawled as he reached around her and mockingly held her wand in front of her face.

He dropped her wand to the floor placed his hand around her neck. Her wand bounced twice with a soft *tink* of wood on stone. Petrified in place as she was, Lucy was unable to see what happened next, but she heard a distinct snap as Kenneth kept one hand around her neck as the other pointed his wand directly at her abdomen. He had drove down with his full weight on her wand.

Lucy wanted to cry out, but the only thing Lucy think to do was try to remain calm. She was not naive. She knew before it was over, Kenneth intended to rape her. And unless he released her from his spell, she had no way to prevent him from doing so.

Already he began to run his hand down from the nape of her neck. His hand was slowly making its way to her breast. Inside she was trembling. She was alone, wandless...helpless...and Kenneth would continue to have his way with her.

Kenneth pressed against her from behind. Against her lower back she felt his erection grow harder with each passing second.

"As easy as it would be to take you as you are, my dear," Kenneth grunted as he forcibly yanked one of her arms behind her back, "I'm afraid it just wouldn't be very fun."

If she could scream out in pain, she would. Still under the Body Bind Curse, he forced her other arm behind her back. Her motion was limited, and he could not quite bring her wrists together. She felt a rope wrap its way around her wrists.

Once Kenneth seemed to be happy with the security of his knots, he walked around in front of Lucy. Her eyes had adjusted to the dim light and she saw him for the first time. She could hardly believe her eyes. This filth matted, emaciated...creature was Kenneth.

As her eyes were just as petrified as the rest of her body, she could not track him and Kenneth had to kneel slightly before her so she could see his hateful face. His once immaculate silver blond hair was closer to a brownish grey with dirt and grime and was matted to his head. Replacing his severely trimmed moustache was a bedraggled beard. His teeth were stained yellow. His skin was peeling...no... sloughing...off of his face in reddened patches.

His striped prison uniform was threadbare, tattered, soiled, and stank of mould and unwashed man.

Kenneth slid his hand under her skirt and began to run it along her bare thigh. "I'm going to release you from the curse, Lucy," he slowly stood up as his hand reached her crotch, and he deftly slipped his fingers under her panties and began to finger her labia. He kept the wand pointed at the baby. He spoke his words directly into her partially opened lips. "If you scream, or attempt anything else equally foolhardy, I will kill it. Do you understand?"

She understood him perfectly. Kenneth referred to Felicity as "it." He did not even see the child he fathered as human. She also understood if the opportunity rose, she would have to kill Kenneth. Any pity or charitable feelings she once had for him were gone. After his last statement, she could kill him where he stood and sleep peacefully at night.

Kenneth clumsily removed her maternity panties, and they fell around her ankles. Lucy's skirts still offered her modesty, but she still felt shamefully exposed nonetheless.

He released the spell and Lucy exhaled a gusty sigh of air as if she had been unable to breath for the last ten minutes. She attempted to step away from Kenneth but collapsed to her knees when she became entangled in the underwear.

Kenneth arose to his full height and moved towards her. "Now that's much better for what I had in mind."

Lucy fell back on her ass and scrambled backwards, her hands still tied behind her back. "Kenneth," her voiced trembled. "Why are you doing this?" She continued to back away from Kenneth until her back came in contact with the stone wall.

Kenneth silkily replied, "I am simply taking back that which is mine."

Lucy tried to move sideways as Kenneth knelt down on the floor beside her. He pinned her to the wall with his outstretched arms and swung his legs around to straddle her. She had not seen what he had done with his wand and he kept her in position by brute force.

"You do recall, it was I to whom you so willingly gave your flower," he said in a tone that might have been seductive without their history. He then pushed against her, forcibly kissing her.

Lucy struggled with her whole body. Her legs were pinned under his weight and her screams were muffled from his probing tongue. He was trying to grind his erection into despite their clothing, but the position with her against the wall made his advances awkward at best. Lucy managed to throw him off balance, but it only made her position more precarious as she fell to her side. Once free from his stifling kiss, she pleaded through her tears, "Kenneth, please don't do this. You don't have to do this."

Kenneth sneered. Mercy was obviously something he would not consider, "What's the matter, Lucy? Has dear Severus turned you off to sex? You used to have such a wanton little cunny. I thought pregnant women were supposed to be especially horny."

He tried to force himself on top of her, but she managed to squirm her way a bit farther from his attention. "Kenneth, you don't understand," she tried not to sound as if she was begging, but she was doing a poor job of it. She had to get away; she could feel the baby protest from the stress. "You don't have to do this. The Ministry pardoned you. Please, Kenneth...I won't tell anybody you were here...just go away and leave us alone...I promise, I..."

"Do you honestly take me for such a fool, Lucy?" Kenneth scoffed. "The Ministry is not about to pardon an escapee from Azkaban."

Without warning, Kenneth lunged for her. Lucy screamed in terror and managed to turn just in time to keep him from landing directly on the baby. It was an awkward dance on the floor as he clawed and ripped at her blouse and she continued to scream out tried to kick at him to keep him off her.

Kenneth backhanded her hard across the jaw, "Bitch, you're making it harder than this has to be!"

Lucy continued her fight despite the searing pain throbbing through her face. She was afraid it would be a losing battle as she did not know how much longer she could fight before the baby was in serious distress.

Suddenly, Lucy felt the knot in her bindings slack. Using all the strength she could muster, Lucy freed her hands and shoved Kenneth off of her. From her position behind her desk, she was closer to the Floo than the door and she made a run for the mantle. She was nearly overwhelmed by panic when she realised her Floo powder was gone.

She heard the contents from atop her desk hit the floor and before Lucy could make a run for the door, she was grabbed from behind and Kenneth slammed her into her desk, forcing her to bend over the side.

Sharp pains shot through her belly. Kenneth had her trapped underneath his full weight and the baby was beginning to protest in earnest from the abuse.

Kenneth had managed to pin her left arm under her body. Her right arm was useless as all she could do was flail it behind her. Despite her kicking and manoeuvring about, Kenneth was able to force her skirt up around her waist, fully exposing her.

"I don't see what your problem is, Lucy," Kenneth panted through the exertion as he caressed her naked buttocks with his hand. "It's not as if we haven't done this before."

She felt Kenneth wiggle behind he and realised he was undoing his trousers as she continued to scream in vain. She did not have much time.

Her head was almost hanging over the back of her desk when she remembered the doll inside. She waved her free hand across the front of the top drawer and it popped open. She blindly searched for the doll thought all the clutter. It was a Herculean task as she still thrashed about to keep Kenneth from entering her.

Lucy could feel his naked penis pressed against her thigh. She was in pain and exhausted from the fight. She would not be able to hold him off much longer. Just when she thought hope was lost, she found the doll in the corner of the drawer, along with the jagged chicken thigh bone Michele sent with it.

Lucy stopped fighting just long enough to aim true and Kenneth took advantage of the opportunity to spread her legs, but before he could drive himself into her, Lucy drove the chicken bone home.

"ARRGH! WHAT THE FUCK!" Kenneth rolled off of her and fell hard to the floor, proactively cupping his now limp penis and testicles.

Miraculously, Lucy's aim was true. She nailed the doll right through its little puffy red balls. She hurriedly slid off the desk and made a run for the door.

She almost made it to freedom.

Just has she reached for the door handle, her portal to freedom turned into a solid wall of stone.

"NOOO!" She slapped her hands against the wall. The door was gone and so was the Floo powder. Her wand lay on the floor snapped in two. But being trapped with Kenneth was the least of her problems. She grabbed her belly as another sharp pain coursed through her side. She had to get to Poppy before something happened to the baby.

Lucy heard Kenneth gasp from behind her, "What... what did you do to me?"

Lucy turned quickly, keeping her back against the wall. Apparently, when he fell to the floor, he landed close to where he laid his wand. He had pulled his trousers back up and was pointing his wand directly at Lucy even as his other hand held fast to Lucy's desk for support.

Though he was in obvious pain, he let go of the desk and took a shaky step towards Lucy. "Answer me you stupid bint! What did you DO TO ME!"

Looking around for anything she could use as a weapon, Lucy grabbed a book from her wall shelf and lobbed it at Kenneth.

"Stay away from me!"

Kenneth swatted the book away with his wand like he would a fly and though he had to hobble, he continued to advance on Lucy.

"Reverse the curse, Lucy!"

"NO!" Lucy screamed as she threw another book at him. She then attempted to dart for her desk. She needed that doll again and she wouldn't make the same mistake twice. This time she would aim for the heart.

She was only two steps from her desk when her books began to cascade from the shelves, pummelling her in her back.

She was knocked to the floor, landing on her stomach with her full weight, pain ripping through her midsection. She rolled on her side, cradling the baby inside her. Something was wrong...she was afraid to even articulate it in her brain.

Lucy saw Kenneth's feet approach and she managed to turn herself just in time, to protect the baby, but Kenneth still managed to kick her in the kidneys.

It was something he immediately regretted, because she heard him cry out in pain from the effort.

She rolled over to face him, to plead for mercy, but the words froze on her lips. Instead, Kenneth stood unsteadily over her, his wand pointed at the baby while his other hand held his groin protectively. His stare was as cold as a Dementor's kiss.

"I've had enough of this," he gasped through his pain and frustration. "It ends here."

"KENNETH, NO!"

"CRUCIO!"

***6:45 p.m.***

Severus was grading holiday homework whilst his detainees busied themselves with their second bucket of frogs. One more and he would release them. He had no intention of keeping them past nine o'clock. He only wanted to instil the fear of Snape in them.

Had they not interrupted Severus and Lucy when they had, he would have released them after the second bucket. But unfortunately for the Badgers, Severus was not feeling magnanimous.

Lucy had been correct. She could not live her life in fear, but it was too soon to assume Musgrave would leave her alone.

Perhaps he could convince Albus and the board of a legitimate reason for a potion's class to go on a history outing.

"Severus?"

The voice emanating from his office startled him out of his grading. The two teens who had been busily plucking frogs eyes stopped, and looked around for the owner of the disembodied voice.

"Back to work, unless you intend to spend the night here."

Without a word, Ramsey and McGillicutty went straight back to their task.

Severus knew who was in his Floo, but what would Molly want with him this time of night? If there was a problem with Harry today, Lucy would tell Severus when he arrived home. Both of Molly's sons were exemplary students. He could see no problem there.

"Severus?" Molly called out again. There was definitely a note of concern in her voice.

"I'm here, Molly," Severus answered before he reached the Floo. "Is there a problem?"

"I'm not, certain," said Molly uneasily. "However, Harry is insistent that something is wrong."

"Harry? Isn't Harry with Lucy?"

Harry's shrill voice echoed from somewhere behind Molly. "Mummy never came, Daddy! Something's wrong. Mummy would never leave me without saying something."

"Harry, dear. I'm sure your mummy is just running late." Molly said reassuringly to Harry whilst at the same time, looking to Severus for reassurance.

Alarm bells went off in Severus' head. Harry was right. Lucy would never leave him without letting Molly know what was keeping her.

Keeping his voice steady so not to scare Harry any more than he already was, Severus said, "I'm certain she just stopped by Aberforth's and lost track of time. Molly, do you mind...?"

"Not at all," Molly cut in. "I'm about to feed my lot. Harry's more than welcome to join us."

"Thank you, Molly. I apologise for the intrusion."

"Not at all. I'm certain your right and Lucy will be here any moment."

Severus quickly said good bye and Floo called Albus. After discerning that Lucy was not with him, Severus called home whilst Albus called his brother.

There was no answer from Lucy in his Floo-call home and he was very nearly ready to panic. Where the hell was Lucy? Severus was about to try her office when he remembered he had detainees in his classroom.

Severus stepped into the classroom and with a wave of his wand, the frog buckets were empty, much to the surprise and elation of Ramsey and McGillicutty.

Without explanation, Severus abruptly said, "Leave," and turned back into his office, leaving the stunned teens sitting at their workbench with their mouths agape.

As soon as he turned back into his office, Albus and Aberforth stepped out of his Floo without introduction.

"Have you found her?" Aberforth asked anxiously.

"No, I was just about to check her office."

The elder wizards stepped aside and Severus once again cast his Floo powder. He stuck his head into the green flames. "Lu...," he turned to Aberforth and Albus and said in near panic, "Something is wrong in Lucy's office."

Severus stepped through the fireplace and for a fraction of a second, the flames flashed an eerie green glow on a scene of chaos before the room went dark again.

When Aberforth and Albus stepped through, there was enough light for Severus to make out a human form sprawled across the floor on the far side of Lucy's desk.

"Lucy!" Severus cried out nearly tripping over rumpled books and an upturned chair as he rushed to kneel by her side. Before Albus brought up the lights, Severus knew he was kneeling in a pool of blood. Not only could he feel the warmth of it seep through the knees of his trousers...he could smell it.

When the light came up, it was Aberforth who exclaimed under his breath, "Dear god."

Then brilliant white light illuminated the room where Albus had cast a Patronus. Severus stopped less than a second to think why Albus would cast one.

Severus was shaking as he tenderly put Lucy's head in his lap and checked for a pulse in her neck. "Lucy," he choked through his horror and grief.

Lucy moaned weakly in response. He thanked every benevolent deity he could think of that she was still alive.

She was unrecognisable. Her face was bruised black and purple from a severe beating. Her eyes were swollen shut and caked in sticky half-dried blood. Her right arm looked as though it had been broken several times, possibly in a vain attempt to protect the baby.
Severus' heart sank.

The baby!

Below her waist, Lucy was saturated in blood. Unless Poppy managed to do something quickly, there was no hope for the baby.

"Severus," she quietly whimpered.

"I'm here, Darling. " He was trying not to cry for Lucy's sake, but he could feel the hot sting of his tears welling in his eyes.

"Ken...Ken...Cr...Cruc..."

"That bastard cast a Crucio on her," Aberforth choked bitterly as he cast a simple diagnostic spell over Lucy. Now was not the time to wonder how the old barkeep had learned such a spell.

Severus had not even noticed Aberforth kneeling beside Lucy, gingerly taking hold of his great-granddaughter's bloodstained hand. For the first time ever, Severus thought he looked every bit of his one-hundred plus years.

As much as every fibre of his being want to hunt down that son-of-a-bitch, Musgrave, Lucy needed him, not to mention Harry when he found out what happened to his mummy.

"Ugh..." Lucy moaned weakly, "Severus...the baby...not time."

Severus caught Lucy's meaning. She was going into premature labour.

With Lucy's head cradled in his lap, he turned to the Headmaster. "Albus, where the hell is Poppy? If something isn't done she'll deliver the baby right here on the floor."

A visibly shaken Albus, knelt down next to his brother, placing his aged hand on his younger brother's shoulder. A blanket appeared out of nothingness and gently wrapped itself around Lucy in a belated attempt to keep her from going into shock. "Lucy's Floo powder is missing. I had to send a Patronus. It should have reached Poppy almost immediately. I don't know what's taking her so long."

Severus made to caress Lucy's face in an effort to keep her calm, but she jumped at his touch. The cuts and contusions on her face where more painful than she was letting on.

How did Musgrave do it? It was obviously a well thought out ambush. He looked about the room, trying to discern how Musgrave would have gained entry without Lucy's knowledge. Did Musgrave access a Floo from another office? Doubtful- but not impossible...

A high-pitched wail coming from Lucy brought him out of thoughts of 'how.' Severus had to focus on 'now.'

Aberforth put his hand on Lucy's belly. "The bairn is coming, like it or not. If Poppy doesn't show soon, we'll have to deliver it ourselves."

"No..." Lucy pleaded. "No...It's too soon...Severus, don't let them..."she begged through her tears. She grabbed Severus' right hand with hers and squeezed until he thought he lost all circulation.

"ARRRGH!" Lucy suddenly threw her head back, her face a picture of agony as she tried to fight a contraction.

Severus felt helpless. He could not stop the inevitable...and where the hell was the blasted mediwitch...

Before he finished cursing Lucy's midwife, Poppy stepped out of the Floo, directly followed by a severe looking dark wizard in a lab coat.

"I'm sorry I wasn't here sooner," Poppy apologised as she shooed away Albus and Aberforth. "I had to summon Healer Swansea. He's a specialist in neonatal trauma."

Aberforth and Albus stood off to the side, unable to lend any practical help. Albus was a fair hand at potions and healing most minor injuries, but this was far beyond his scope of expertise. All he could do was hold on to his grieving brother, offering him comfort whist seeking the same from Aberforth.

Poppy and Healer Swansea took up positions on either side of Lucy. Healer Swansea passed his wand over the baby, casting a series of long and complicated spells. When he was done he looked at Lucy and Severus with something akin to pity. He then looked to Poppy and gave a slight shake of his head.

"Lucy," Healer Swansea said in a deep voice meant to soothe her, or perhaps convince her, "I'm going to need you to push."

"The baby?" Severus asked, doing a poor job of keeping his panic in check.

"No..." Lucy protested, at the same time desperately trying to fight off the inevitable. "Please...stop them."

Poppy was fighting back her own tears, knowing there was nothing to be done to grant Lucy's fervent wish. "Lucy, I'm sorry. There is nothing to be done. We need you to push."

"Lucy darling," Severus pleaded. "You must do as the healer says. Please, push." There was no stopping his own tears. He had already lost his daughter and he was perilously close to losing Lucy too.

Lucy let out a scream fraught with such pain and anguish, Severus thought he would die from the hearing of it. "NooOOO...UUGGHH!"

"She's crowning," the healer said urgently to Poppy. "A couple more and we're there, Lucy. Just hold on, Lucy."

Lucy buried her face into Severus' chest and wept piteously. "I can't...I can't..."

"Lucy, yes you can-and you must," Severus insisted. "I'm here with you, Lucy. I promise I won't let go. I have your hand and I promise I'll never let go."

Lucy was losing her battle with the inescapable reality that she had lost Felicity. Her energy was draining quickly and Severus was afraid she would not have the strength to make it through the delivery.

Lucy struggled through the final push and collapsed one more time into Severus' arms. She was too weak to cry.

Severus had to turn away as Healer Swansea placed Felicity's battered and lifeless little body into the blanket in Poppy's outstretched arms.

Poppy was crying openly, as they all were...that is everyone with the exception of Lucy. Severus looked down at Lucy, trying to find words that would comfort her, but he couldn't think of any.

Lucy weakly turned her head up to him and he cradled it on his strong hand for support. She was looking into his eyes with a sadness he could scarcely bare.

She was attempting to raise her hand in an effort to touch his face. Knowing that she was too weak, Severus brought her tiny hand to his face and held it there. He needed to feel her touch as much as she needed his. Her lips moved, trying to form words that she did not have the strength to articulate. He was in his own world with Lucy, unaware of all that was said and done around them.

Severus was about to tell her to sleep when Lucy suddenly twice gasped for air, her eyes open wide looking somewhere beyond.

"Lucy?"

Looking into her eyes, he watched as her light faded away. Through trembling tears he called her again, "Lucy?"

Lucy's eyes shut as her head fell back and her arm dropped to her side.

"Lucy?" Severus continued to cry as he patted Lucy's face in an attempt to revive her. "Lucy, wake up!"

Lucy didn't wake up.

"Lucy, no!"

Immeasurable grief gripped Severus' heart like a vice. He sat there alone on the floor with his Lucy. His body shook violently he clutched Lucy's limp body to his and pitifully wept into her blood soaked hair.

The End.
End Notes:
I know...I really hate me too. I just ask you all not to give up hope.

Thank you Tambra for betaing this chapter, I know it was hard for you.

~Missyann
Grief... and a Letter from Lily by missyanne

***8 January, 1987 ***

Severus awoke in the dark. He knew from the babble of hushed voices amongst the shadows that he was not alone; however, he was very confused. He could feel that he was wearing pyjamas and that someone had slipped him Dreamless Sleep. He had yet to open his eyes but from the smell of antiseptic and fresh linen, he could tell he was in the hospital wing. Why was he here…?

Startled out of his stupor, Severus' body jolted up from where he had been lying. "Lucy!" he cried out as the grief gripped him anew.

Anguish washed over him in full force as he remembered that Lucy and the baby were dead. She had died in his arms. Lucy was gone and he and Harry where alone once again.

"Harry!" Severus gasped. Where was Harry? He needed to find him…to protect him. That bastard, Musgrave, could have his son right now. Severus threw his blankets off of him. He tried to rise from his bed, but found himself being held down by several pairs of determined hands.

"Severus…calm down! Harry is safe! Lucy is still alive!"

Lupin? What was Remus Lupin doing here? He wasn't there. He didn't know.

"No! Lucy... she died! I wish it had been me!"

Albus was the next voice he recognized. "No, Severus. Lucy is alive. You would not let her go and I had to stun you so the Healer could mend her wounds. Do you hear me, Severus? She is alive."

"Lucy's alive?" As relief flooded through him, the world was coming back into focus again and Severus finally recognized those around him. Albus, Remus, and Arthur had been holding him back. An unfamiliar Healer stood behind them with a calming draught in hand. He broadened his search past them, trying to find Lucy.

As if hearing his thoughts Arthur said, "Lucy is right behind you, Severus, in the bed next to you."

Severus turned and looked directly behind him. There she was, shrouded in a blue mist of life supporting spells. Her superficial wounds seemed to be on the mend, as her facial swelling and lacerations had healed enough to where she was recognisable. It was hard to discern the colour of the marks due to the obscuring mist, but it was obvious the wounds were fading.

He looked around. It took a moment for him to realise where they were. They were in the private portion of the hospital wing, one that was hidden from view with various charms. It was rarely used, as was evidenced by the clutter of discarded medical contraptions and spare boxes of supplies, but Albus explained that Poppy had a couple of student patients in the main ward. It would have been far too upsetting for them to see their history teacher in her present state.

Aberforth arose from the chair next to her bed, where he had been holding her hand and keeping vigil. "Aye, it took quite a stunner to separate you from her," Aberforth sounded as weary as he looked. "Poppy and the Healer managed to...," he swallowed hard, "stabilize her afterwards though.."

Severus was hardly listening to Aberforth. His eyes remained fixed on the rising and falling of Lucy's chest. She was breathing, but not on her own.

"Why is Lucy here? Shouldn't she be at St. Mungo's?"

"Lucy's condition is too unstable at the moment to move her. After Poppy and Healer Swansea managed a life support spell for Lucy, I took the liberty of securing a specialist," Albus began to explain. "Healer Bardley expended a great deal of magic to bring Lucy to this point and she is currently resting herself. Meanwhile, her very able assistant is monitoring Lucy."

Over in a far corner of the ward sat a young man, diligently scribbling notes whilst peering into a purple diagnostic orb.

Severus nodded. He would thank Albus privately latter. Albus must have brought his considerable influence to bear to secure a private specialist for his niece.

"Lucy's left kidney was lacerated," Aberforth said sadly. "The healer has administered potions in hope of repairing it. In the meantime she is under a dialysis spell. If her kidney does not heal by tomorrow afternoon, they may have to risk moving her to the hospital to remove it."

Severus swallowed over the thick wad of pain in his throat, "Would that account for her coma?"

Albus said with a grave expression drawing his aged featured down, "I'm afraid not. She has a subdural haemotoma- some swelling of her brain. It appears that after she was subjected to the Cruciatus, Musgrave beat her viciously. The spells are helping, but honestly, it is a race against time as to whether she is strong enough to give the spells a chance to work. She is far from being out of the woods"

Suddenly a floodgate of tears opened up. They were tears of relief, tinged with fear at the uncertainty of his fiancée's predicament. Lucy was alive, but she was unstable. He could still lose her and Severus did not think he had the strength to withstand the emotional roller-coaster.

Musgrave was going to pay. A Dementor's kiss was not enough for the fucking coward and Aveda Kedavra was too quick and painless. He had beaten Lucy to a bloody mess after he had tortured her and the baby. What else did that bastard do...?"

Severus was almost too afraid to ask. "Did he...he...?"

"No, Severus," Remus said as he rested his hand on Severus' shoulder. "Frankly, we don't know why, because the Aurors say that everything points to a sexual assault, but he did not...ra...rape her."

Severus looked over at Lucy to reassure himself that she was still breathing. He wasn't complaining, but why sexual assault and no rape? What had stopped Musgrave? He was attempting to steady his breath as several scenarios of what he would do to Musgrave when he got hold of the son of a bitch played out in his mind.

He rose unsteadily from his bed, every joint and muscle protesting the effort. His friends reached for Severus to help him to his feet, but Severus waved them off. He sat down in the chair previously occupied by Aberforth and took Lucy's hand. It felt almost too warm. Perhaps it was because he felt chilled to the bone. What would he do without Lucy? What would he say to Ha...?

"Where is Harry?" Severus asked in sudden concern. Had he been left with the Weasley's with no explanation?

"Harry is in your quarters with Mr. Black," Arthur explained. "He and Minerva came over and explained everything to Harry."

Severus' eyes widened with concern, "What did they tell him?" He demanded.

Arthur put a reassuring hand on Severus' very weary shoulder, "Don't fret yourself Severus. They only told Harry that Lucy had been hurt and that you were here taking care of her. He did not want to frighten Harry too much."

"Harry is too intuitive to accept such a simplistic explanation," Severus said shaking his head. "He will know there is more to it and insist upon seeing Lucy himself."

"He already has," said Remus in agreement. "Sirius had to ward your front door. Harry nearly bolted out the door when they came through the Floo."

"I should speak to him," Severus said tiredly. He wasn't ready for this. "If something was to happen and the truth was kept from him, Harry would never forgive me. Remus do you mind terribly bringing him...?"

"It's one o'clock in the morning, Severus," Remus interjected. "He fell asleep a couple of hours ago, poor tyke. Perhaps you should wait until morning."

One o'clock in the morning? How long had he been out?

"What of the O'Conner's?" Severus asked, realising her family had to be told.

Remus said, "I've taken care of that personally. They should be arriving by emergency Portkey sometime later this morning."

Severus nodded his gratitude to his friend. He wasn't looking forward to the meeting. He had failed them. He failed to keep their daughter safe. What could he possibly say to them? 'Sorry' certainly wasn't enough.

Severus wiped away a stray tear as he looked over Lucy's prone body. He put his hand on her belly...her now flat belly which only a few hours ago carried a precious life.

Severus swallowed hard before he asked, "What have they done with Felicity?"

"She is in stasis in the office," Albus said solemnly. "Lucy had to be attended to first. They will examine Felicity in the morning. I would not allow the Aurors to take her until you decided if you wanted to see her or not."

Albus was certainly utilising his authority as Chief Warlock. After what happened to Lucy, Fudge's worst fears were about to come true. Fudge would do anything to accommodate Albus Dumbledore now. Severus knew, however, that in the end, all the kowtowing in the world wouldn't save Fudge's fat arse.

As difficult as it was, Severus decided he had to see Felicity, for Lucy never would.

Severus took Lucy's hand in his and bent over and kissed it, then stroked her brow. He said to her, hoping she would hear his voice, "I'll be right back, Darling."

Severus arose once more. "Do you want someone to come with you?" Severus did not know who asked.

"No thank you," he said to no one and everyone. "I prefer to be alone."


Severus stepped into Poppy's dark, deserted office and closed the door behind him. He knew he was alone, yet had the distinct feeling that he was not. The air felt heavy and cold and the hair stood on the back of his neck, almost as if one of the castle ghosts had entered the room.

The lights came up on their own and Severus' eyes had to adjust to the sudden change. What he saw lying on a specimen table caused him to hurriedly shut his eyes again. He shuddered back his tears from the shock.

This time steeling his nerves, Severus slowly opened his eyes again. Lying alone, in stark contrast to the black granite table, was a small white swaddled bundle. It was so very small.

Severus took in a fortifying breath and without knowing how; he stood next to the table. He extended his hand, not realising it was shaking until he saw it just above the linen. He closed his fist, unsure if it was the right thing to do. But he had to see her. Just to know that she had been real.

Carefully, Severus undid the soft linen that wrapped around Felicity's face. He let out a gusty exhalation, unaware that he had been holding his breath.

She was so small...smaller than a child's doll...and so beautiful. Just like her mother. Already she had a crown of fuzzy white blond hair much like her f...his...Musgrave's. She had yet to gain her baby fat, and her skin was thinner than parchment, but everything else, her nose, her little chin, where all Lucy. Just as Lucy was the image of her mother, Felicity would have equally favoured Lucy.

Her little eyes had not yet opened. Severus would never know if she had Lucy's striking turquoise eyes.

Gently, Severus picked her up. She was so cold. She was small enough to cradle in one of his long fingered hands and couldn't have weighed a kilogram. Gingerly, he unwrapped her a little more. With his pinkie, he lifted her tiny hand and counted her fingers. He then unwrapped her tiny feet. She had all her fingers and toes, she was perfect.

Severus' grief was raw again and he wept bitterly for his tiny angel who had her life ripped away from her before she had a chance to live.

"I'm so sorry, poppet," Severus choked as he cried, "Daddy should have been there to protect you...I'm so sorry."

After an indeterminable time, he gave her a small kiss on the forehead, heartened that Felicity would at least know her father's kiss before she was committed to the earth. Severus then tenderly wrapped her back in her linen, more as if he were protecting her from the cold than wrapping her in a shroud.

He wished he had something to transfigure into a pillow before laying her back on the hard stone. But this wasn't his office and he had no right to confiscate anything of Poppy's.

As Severus backed away from the table, someone nervously cleared their throat behind him. Severus turned to rebuke the intrusion, only to see Lupin.

"I apologise, Severus, but Harry awoke in the middle of the night. Sirius says he's asking for you."

Severus sniffed then nodded, "Tell him to bring Harry to me."

Remus nodded then wiped the tears from his face with the heel of his hand. "Oh, I have something for you," he shakily said and pulled out something wrapped in a handkerchief from his robe pocket and offered it to Severus. "The Aurors just left. They found this during the investigation."

Severus took the offered object and unwrapped it. It was the voodoo doll. That damned voodoo doll that Lucy returned to her office for. There was a bone skewered through the bollocks. Severus now knew why Musgrave did not follow through with the rape. From what he had read, the bone could only be removed by the curse caster. Wherever Musgrave was, he was is agony. Good!

"How did you get it?" Severus breathed heavily, attempting to keep his anger in check. "Wouldn't the Aurors want to take this as evidence?"

Remus coughed guiltily. "Well...I...uh...told them that it was nothing. Only a curious artefact Lucy's friend had given her. I told them she had it for years," he was scratching his head and cutting his eyes towards Severus, looking worried at what his reaction might be.

"You know what this is?"

"Of course I do," Remus replied. "Lucy showed it to me weeks ago."

Severus looked down at the doll. Desperately wishing that he could remove the bone and strike a lethal blow. It was impossible, but he could do the next best thing.

He held the doll out at arm's length in his open palm. His obsidian eyes bore into the primitive doll, channelling every ounce of his hatred for Musgrave into it. Through gritted teeth, Severus said, "This is for Lucy and Felicity—Incendio!"

Severus and Remus watched as the bundle of burlap bust into black ashes. The curse was now permanent—not even Lucy could remove it when she...if she... no, Severus would not give into despair... when she woke. Musgrave could try to run. But he wouldn't run far. It didn't matter how far he would go, Severus would hunt him down. Musgrave thought he was in pain now? It was nothing compared to what Severus would do to him. Musgrave would receive the ever-so-tender mercies that he had earned with the night's work.

"Severus?" Remus asked in concern, "Are you alright?"

He wanted to tell Remus that he was alright or it was none of Remus' concern, but he couldn't. Severus' whole body began to shake where he stood, "No," he admitted openly and covered his face to hide his tears. He had failed them and now Severus' world was collapsing in on him and he felt utterly helpless. He couldn't even keep his composure in front of his one-time enemy.

Without hesitation Remus grabbed Severus and pulled him into an embrace. Severus did not push him away, but instead wept on his friend's shoulder.

"What am I going to do, Remus? I'm lost without her."

"You aren't alone in this," Remus said through his own tears. "You have your friends and family. And Harry needs you more than ever. I don't know what will happen, Severus, but I promise you this...we will find that son-of-a-bitch."

Severus awkwardly pulled out of the embrace and nodded, accepting Remus' words because he simply had no other choice but to believe them.

***2:02 a.m. ***

With the exception of the mediwizard who continued to watch Lucy's vital signs and administer the occasional potion, Severus now sat alone with Lucy. Aberforth, Albus and Remus had left to prepare a suite of rooms for Lucy's parents and two of her brothers, Allen and Daniel. Aberforth would also be staying in the castle. He and his brother had come a long way. All three wizards were not needed to make these preparations, but Severus sincerely felt the need to be alone with Lucy, and his friends instinctively obliged him.

Lucy's brother Richard and sister Teresa were still in the process of making arrangements to come over. Teresa was a stay at home wife with several children and Richard's wife was attending an out of town business convention. They had to wait until their spouse's schedules allowed them to travel long term.

Albus had told Severus that Filius would take over Severus' fourth year through N.E.W.T. lessons and his first through third year lessons would be taken over by Severus' two best seventh year independent study students for the time being.

Cuthbert would sadly take over Lucy's lessons for the rest of term. Even if she were to awaken by the weekend, her physical and mental recovery would take far longer.

Before Albus and Aberforth parted, they had the grim discussion of what to do for Felicity. "My grandparents are buried in an ancestral graveyard in Suffolk. Before she died, my grandmother had procured the plots next to her for me. I wish to have Felicity laid next to my grandmother."

"But, Severus...surely you would rather keep..."

"No Albus. Felicity is a Snape. She will be laid to rest with my family."

"Daddy!"

Harry's shrilly frantic cry snapped Severus out of his musings.

Severus turned from where he had continued his vigil with Lucy. A pyjama clad Harry wiggled his way out of Black's arms and ran towards Severus, his bare feet slapping loudly on the wooden floors. Severus stepped just out of the private room, and closed the door just enough so Harry could not see inside. He needed to prepare Harry for what he would see before he took the boy to see Lucy.

Severus knelt bended knee to the floor and held out his arms to his anxious son, "Harry!" Normally he would have admonished the six year old for being up at this ungodly hour and for running about without even slippers on his feet, but under the circumstances, he understood.

Black, on the other hand, thought Severus would blame him for the child's late night excursion. "I'm sorry Snape, but he woke up from a rather fitful dream," Black began to explain, "I should have put up more than a locking ward on your chambers because the little cub managed to break them in a fit of accidental magic. He was halfway down the dungeon corridor before I managed to catch him."

Severus looked down in shock at his boy, who in turn, looked as though he was fighting sleep with every fibre of his being. But Severus could not let the infraction go. "Henry James Potter-Snape! What do you think you were doing running away from your Uncle Sirius like that? You know bet..."

"But I want Mummy!" Harry sniffed as he rubbed his already blood-shot eyes. "He said she got hurt...but she's okay. If she's okay, why isn't she home?"

Severus' annoyance melted away. Of course Harry would recognise a half-truth when he heard one. Harry was his boy, after all. Severus wrapped up the scared child in his embrace and explained, "Your Uncle Sirius was going to bring you in the morning, Harry." Severus felt as if he were choking on unshed tears as he turned Harry to face him. "Son, I want you to listen closely," he said as he let the boy wriggle into a more comfortable position as he attempted to muster the last reserves of his own courage. "Mummy was hurt very badly today. She is better than what she was, but she is still very, very sick. She is asleep right now, and may sleep for long time while she continues to heal."

"How'd she get hurt? Did she fall? Uncle Sirius wouldn't tell me." Harry looked back at Black accusingly. Black shifted uncomfortably under his godson's baleful glare.

Severus couldn't blame Black. How was he going to explain that Lucy had been nearly beaten to death by a man who once claimed to love her?

Severus swallowed hard. He hung his head, unable to look the boy in the eyes. "No, Harry. It was that bast- erm... Mr. Musgrave. He...he...hurt Mummy...very badly."

Harry's little face turned red. He began to tremble with anger. "Why? Why would he hurt Mummy? Mummy never hurt anybody," Harry began to cry. "I thought you said it was wrong for a boy to hurt a girl." Apparently Harry still remembered the lesson from when he first came to live with Severus. Harry had smacked Ginny Weasley when she tried to snatch his favourite stuffed dragon, the first toy he had ever owned.

"It is wrong, Harry...very wrong."

"What about my sister? Did he hurt Felicity too?" From the tears that continued to stream down Harry's face and the near terrified look in his eyes, Severus could tell that Harry was afraid to know the answer. Severus was afraid to tell him...but what else could he do?

Severus nodded his head tightly. "Harry...the healers did everything they could for Felicity, but she was hurt too badly...I'm afraid she d..."

"NO!" Harry began to pummel Severus' chest with his little fists. "I HATE HIM! I HATE HIM! I HATE HIM!"

"Harry...Harry, stop it!" Severus said he tried to catch Harry's fists. Even though the child was only six years old, there was a great deal of rage packed behind those little fists. Black came over and knelt down behind Harry in an attempt to help Severus calm him.

"Harry...kiddo...It will be alright."

Harry buried his face into Severus' shoulder. "No it won't," he cried. "He killed my little sister. And Mummy will be so sad when she wakes up."

Unlike Black, Severus wouldn't tell Harry things would be alright, for he couldn't believe it himself. All Severus could do was rock his grieving son in his arms. Besides, Harry was right. Musgrave had murdered his sister, and when...if...no when damn it... Lucy woke, Felicity would be long since buried. Together, they would have to deal with the raw grief of Felicity's death anew. They would have to shift from healing Lucy physically to healing Lucy emotionally. It would be a long, hard road ahead for them all, but they would face it as a family.

Severus would explain all of this to Harry later, but for now, he would simply allow his son to cry.

"I want Mummy," Harry continued to cry on Severus' shoulder.

Severus closed his eyes and clung tight to Harry, "I know son. I want Mummy too."

***3:39 a.m. ***

Severus resumed his position next to Lucy, this time with an emotionally drained little boy softly snoring in his arms.

Black sat next to him, with his elbows to his knees and his head hung low. Black's dark hair masked his face, much in the same way Severus' would hide behind his own curtain of hair. There was much on the mind of his former schoolboy nemesis than the current situation.

"...I don't expect you to forgive me, Snape," Black said dejectedly. "For what I did then or for...this..." he continued as he sadly cast his eyes up to Lucy. "It's my fault. I gave Kenneth what he needed to escape. Hell, I encouraged him. If you want to have me thrown back into Azkaban, I will go without complaint. This time, I deserve it."

Severus just spent the last hour listening to Black's confession of guilt of every wrong he had cast upon Severus. In all honesty, if Black had made these confessions only two days ago, Severus would have whole-heartedly offered forgiveness. Tonight, however, he didn't give a flying hippogriff. Once upon a time, he would have thrown Black out on his arse and told him to a find a priest, but Severus could understand Black's feelings of guilt and the need to give those he had wronged the chance for retribution. Severus had been down that road himself.

Severus simply was so flooded with poisonous emotions that he was beginning to feel numb. He would go insane if he allowed himself to feel everything that was inside of him.

Severus could only nod. "The old Severus Snape would have blamed this on you, Black, and would have gladly stood and watched as you received the Kiss. But this..." Severus shifted Harry in his lap and put his hand on Lucy's forehead. He began to stroke her hair.

Severus wanted to say more, but the words wouldn't come. Severus would have liked to have told Black that it was not his doing. That after five years of false imprisonment, one could hardly blame him for latching on to his first human contact. Severus even felt that he should be thanking Black for warning them of Musgrave's escape. But Severus was too tired and worn to give such absolution. The words seemed to spin around in his head, an queasy cocktail of strong emotions and fatigue.

"Snape...I never thanked you."

Severus eyes snapped up to Black. He kept one arm wrapped around Harry and his other hand on Lucy. He asked with more than a bit if suspicion, "Thank me? Thank me for what?"

"For saving my life," Black said without hesitation.

"Saving your life? When did I ever...?"

Black let out a soft, snuffling snort, "That first night...when Remus almost AK'd my arse."

"Oh," Severus said quietly. He was too lost in sorrow and too anaesthetised by lack of sleep to truly appreciate the sentiment or find the irony in the situation. It had been Black that had sent Severus after the werewolf in that ill-conceived prank.

Black seemed a bit disappointed that Severus did not give him much of a response, but nodded his head as if he understood. He rose from his chair and patted Severus on the shoulder. Black then put a gentle hand on Harry's cheek and looked down lovingly at his godson. "Believe it or not Snape, after all these years, I can finally see what she saw in you."

Black then reached out, took Lucy's hand, and kissed it. "You need to come back to your Prince Charming, Sleeping Beauty."

Black turned and began to walk silently from the room. He was almost to the door when Severus remembered himself, "Black," Severus said wearily, "Thank you for watching Harry."

Turning back, Sirius gave a wan smile, "There is nothing to thank me for. After all, he is my godson." Black stood and stared at Severus for another moment. "You know, sometimes I can't help but wonder what things would have been like if James and I hadn't been such arseholes. I think...I think we could have all been good friends."

Black was turning to make his leave again, when Severus called him back. "Black."

"Yes, Snape."

"Find him."

"Kenneth?"

Severus nodded. "Find him and bring him to me. I can't leave Lucy and Harry right now and I don't trust the Ministry to catch a cold, much less Musgrave. If I wait until Lucy is out of danger to do it myself, he may be too far gone to ever find him."

Black gave Severus a determined look, his lips pursed grimly. "You want him dead or alive?"

Severus did not even need to consider his answer. "Alive...But I don't give a damn how you do it. Just keep it quiet."

"Consider it done," Black smirked, and he swept out of the room in a very good impersonation of Severus Snape.


"Is there anything I can get you, Professor? Would you care for some Dreamless Sleep?" The mediwizard asked Severus as he put a pillow under Lucy's back so to position her on her side. This saddened Severus. He knew it was to prevent Lucy from acquiring bedsores.

"No, thank you," Severus said numbly. "I'll summon a house elf to bring Harry and myself some things from my quarters."

The mediwizard summoned a phial, nonetheless, and placed it on a nearby nightstand. "Just in case you change your mind," he offered. "You truly ought to get some sleep. She is stable, and you will be useless to your boy if you end up back in the hospital next to her."

Severus nodded and the mediwizard looked at him doubtfully before he went back to his position to monitor Lucy's vital signs. Severus decided he would take the potion after he summoned a house elf to bring a change of robes for himself and Harry and some toiletries. Severus had no intention of leaving Lucy's side.

"What is its Mitzy can do for Potion's Master, sir?" the wrinkled elf asked sadly as she sniffed and looked over at Lucy. Word must have passed to the house elves about Lucy's assault.

Severus dictated a list of what he would require for the next few days. He was barely listening to Mitzy as he widened the hospital bed that he had previously occupied and gently laid Harry down.

He was watching his son sleep, the living legacy of his once best friend, when he was suddenly stuck by something Black had said.

... after all these years, I can finally see what she saw in you.

Black wasn't speaking of Lucy. He had referred to Lily.

"Professor...Professor?"

"Hmm?" Severus hadn't heard the elf's question.

"Mitzy is asking if there be anything else."

Severus stood his full height and looked over to Lucy. "Yes...there is a valet box on my dresser. Inside is a letter. Bring it to me."

"Yes, sir," and with a pop! the elf was gone.

Severus took his place next to Lucy. He took her hand between his and kissed her pearl engagement ring. Lucy had been curious about that letter for some time now. Severus had no idea as to why he needed to read it now...but something seemed to whisper in his ear that now was the time.

Ten minutes later, Mitzy returned with two satchels and one well-worn envelope.

After she was gone, Severus sat, one hand clutching the letter, the other Lucy's hand.

"Well, darling," Severus said nervously. "I have it. I suppose you think I should read it now."

Severus could almost hear Lucy say "No, I expect you to hold it up to your head like Carnac the Magnificent."

Severus gave a soft chuckle and took one last look at the letter. Lily would always be his first love, but Lucy...Lucy was the love of his life. Did he truly need to know what was in the letter?

Something again nagged at him. If he did not read it he would always wonder. He would never have the closure he still needed from Lily. He wasn't certain he would find it if he read the letter, but he needed to know.

Severus quirked an eyebrow to Lucy. "Well, here we go. You can't say you didn't ask for it."

Severus carefully opened the envelope. It opened without effort for its intended recipient.

As he knew he would never keep secrets from Lucy, Severus decided to share it with her. His sombre baritone seemed to echo in the chamber as he read aloud.

28 October, 1981
Dearest Sev,

Hello, old friend. I find that my hand is shaking as I begin to write you. If truth were to be told, I hope this letter never finds you. Everything I have to say in this letter, I hope to one day say to you in person. But should this letter find you it, can only mean one thing—James and I are dead and by some miracle our son, Harry, has managed to survive. And you...you my best friend and blood-brother, have proven all the naysayers, including my beloved husband, wrong. We have been in hiding for a week now. You-Know-Who has targeted us for death. Tonight, we have finished our final Will and Testament.

I know no other way to tell you this but to be blunt, so here it is. Sev, today James and I have named you as our son's secondary godfather. It is a prerogative that I insisted upon. I know you will not like to hear this part, but Sirius Black is Harry's primary godfather at birth. Our first choice was Remus Lupin. But unfortunately, due to certain facts I am unable to disclose, Remus is unable to take custody of Harry should something happen to James and I.

I'm sure you are asking yourself in that dry way of yours why I do this. The reasons I chose you would be enough to write a book, but suffice it to say, I know you're not what people believe you to be and I know that you still care for me, just as I still care for you.

You are probably wondering how I got James to sign off on this. To be honest, so am I. I think it may have been the Headmaster who changed James' mind. James and I were arguing where your loyalties lie the day before yesterday, when Professor Dumbledore came to check in on us. Dumbledore took James into the kitchen and had a few words with him in private. I have no idea what the Headmaster said to James, but whatever it was, it worked. James never disclosed the conversation to me (I'll wheedle it out of him later). But after Dumbledore left, he was willing to consent to my wishes on the stipulation that you must prove before the Wizengamot that you were an ally for the side of Light. Personally, I think it a bit extreme...but if Albus Dumbledore trusts you, then I know you have nothing to hide.

I admit, I know this is a burden you may not wish to bear, and frankly, I would not blame you if you were to refuse. I know I hurt you Severus. I know I should have listened to you that night. We were best friends for six years and I promised long ago that I would always be there for you. Yet I cast it all aside because of one mistake. I'm a poor excuse for a friend and blood-sister. As late as it is in coming, I am so sorry for my mistakes with you.

Sev, brother of my heart, know that through all the heartache and pain, I never stopped loving you. For two years, I thought about approaching you, asking for reconciliation. I missed you, Sev. I still do. But in all honesty, it took me a while to deal with my own anger over what you had said…after all, we were still children, and can you honestly say that we were rational teenagers? Is there such an animal? Unfortunately by the time I came to my senses, I thought it was too late. You had stopped trying to apologise, and I was quite certain that you could never forgive me.

Then something happened that I never intended and frankly thought was quite impossible. I fell in love with James Potter. Believe it or not, the toe-rag grew up. I will not go into details of how we came to be, but Sev, please be happy for me. James has been a wonderful husband and a loving father. He goes out of his way to make me happy and keep us safe and I cannot imagine my life without him. If things were different, I believe in time the two of you would have made good friends.

Sev, I'm asking you now...no begging you, to forgive me for all that I've done. I know I don't deserve it, but if I ever meant anything to you, please do this for the sake of my son.
I know we cannot hide forever, that somehow You-Know –Who will find us, and James and I will not survive this war. I do not think Sirius can keep Harry safe on his own. He is too reckless and jumps blindly where angels fear to tread. If he survives this war it will be a miracle.

Harry will need someone to protect him when others cannot. Someone who is stable and will put him his needs above all else. I know you are the one for this, Sev, because that is what you did for me. More than anyone else, I know your capacity to love. When I look back on my life, and everyone I've ever known, I can think of no one I can trust more with this task than you.

I know I'm asking a lot from you when I have no right...to take care of my boy and to essentially make amends with Sirius Black should he survive. I'm begging you, Sev, to look beyond the past and the fact that Harry is James' son. See Harry as the son of your friend...your sister. Harry is a good boy. He is smart and sensitive and loves easily. I know if you take the chance, you will come to love him as do.

Before I end this letter I have one wish...no...another request. Don't close your heart Severus Snape, not because of me. It is my sincere desire that you find a soul mate, someone who will love you and make you happy the way you deserve to be loved. And Sev, you do deserve to be loved. You deserve someone who understands you. I know she is out there for you, Sev, and whoever she is, she will be one damn lucky girl.

Allow yourself to be happy, Sev. Be happy and live your life well.

Always,
Lily

...and please, watch my baby.

I am Lily, he answered in his heart, knowing that somewhere, Lily heard him. Severus was taking care of Harry the best he knew how, but his happiness, his love, lay still and clinging to life in the bed next to him.

Lily's letter had inspired as many questions as it had answered, but Severus couldn't dwell on them right now. All of his energy was now focused on Lucy.

With one hand, he covered his eyes, in an attempt to hold back his tears once more. Blindly, with his free hand, he reached out and found Lucy's cool hand. Lucy did not respond to his touch and his body shook with renewed grief.

"Lily," Severus said prayerfully as he looked up to the heavens, "I know you can hear me. We need her, Lily. Please, I beg of you, find her... and bring her back to me...and to Harry."

The End.
End Notes:
I honestly have to thank Tambra for her help on this chapter and for answering my call for help so quickly. I don't know how she does it, but I think she can read minds, because she so easily finds the words I struggle for.

A/N: Please forgive any mispellings and such. My regular computer is in the computer hospital and this one does not support Word, so editing as been a pain in the tuckus.

I am also in the midst of my senior seminar paper, so it will be sometime in mid to late November before I can update again. I'm sorry, but Dr. Grady just won't accept updating my fanfiction as an excuse for a late paper. (Some people are just a sick-in-the-mud!)

~Missyann
Life Begins Again by missyanne

***11 January, 1987***

The day was glaringly bright.

Too bright and sunny for a funeral. Though the biting cold more than made up for it. The bare yew trees that were dotted between the headstones in varying states of decay gave a sense of surrealism against the glassy blue sky.

Daniel stood at the head of the small grave dressed in the vestments of his office. He was having difficulty delivering the eulogy. Severus and Harry stood together. Harry held two small bouquets of flowers, Severus held three. They were surrounded by a small gathering of family and friends.

The booming bass of Lucy's brother's voice was unexpectedly soft. It trembled slightly as he recited the Anglican Rites. "Merciful Father, whose wisdom is beyond understanding. Deal graciously with Lucille, Severus, and Harry in their grief. Surround them with your love, that they be not overwhelmed by their loss…"

Severus tuned out of his brother-in-law's eulogy as Harry buried his head into Severus' thigh. Severus looked down at him from where they stood next to the grave and put his hand on Harry's shoulder. He drew his son closer in an effort to extend a little of his strength to Harry…and perhaps draw a little from the child himself.

Immediately surrounding Severus and Harry were Aberforth, Albus, Richard, Theresa, and Richard Jr.. Allen was at Spinner's End, helping to prepare the house for Lucy's return whilst Esther discussed Lucy's long term care with the Healer. She would be coming home to continue her healing…for however long it would take. Lucy had begun to breathe on her own Friday. Out of the birthday gifts Severus had been given that day, it was the only one that meant anything to him.

The Healer had announced that it was now a matter of time and up to Lucy's willingness to survive. There was no determining how long Lucy would remain in her coma. With the exception of Esther, the extended family would have to return to the States the following Sunday whether Lucy woke or not. Esther had taken a leave of absence from her job at the hospital in Charleston to come to England to tend her daughter.

Thus, Lucy would have continuous professional care, and Severus was relieved to know that Lucy would be cared for by the one person in the world who held her as dear as he did. Severus could only pray that Lucy would awaken soon. Primarily, because he did not know how long he could keep his sanity, secondly, because Esther could only leave her job and family for six weeks. If Lucy wasn't awake by then, Severus would have to hire a private mediwitch, a prospect that did not please him at all. He would rather Lucy's care be in the hands of someone he knew and trusted than some uncaring professional.

Richard had been the most aloof of Lucy's relatives ever since they arrived. He claimed that he did not place blame on Severus for what had happened to his daughter, but Severus had his doubts. Richard had barely spoken a full sentence to Severus over the past two days.

Remus and Sirius…Severus fought the urge to grimace at his own mental use of his former enemy's name…stood just to the opposite side of Severus and Harry. Remus, in customary Gryffindor form wore his heart on his sleeve, and Severus could hear his soft sniffles. From the corner of his eye, Severus could just see Sirius. Black held himself with his head held high, his shoulders back, looking uncharacteristically stoic and determined. He knew that if he could see them, the look in his eyes would be enough to bring a shiver down Severus' spine. In all their years of rivalry Severus had never seen such a look Black's face, the same look he had worn with great frequency since Lucy had been taken. He was thankful that even Black had not hated him that much during their formative years. If the mutt had, perhaps Severus would have developed more than a healthy fear of the wizard.

Daniel's words broke into Severus' thoughts again, "Oh God, whose beloved Son took children into his arms and blessed them. Give us grace to entrust Felicity to your never failing care and love, and bring us all too your heavenly kingdom, through Jesus Christ our Lord, who lives and reigns with you and the Holy Spirit, one God, forever and ever, Amen."

From habit ingrained almost as hard as a Pavlov reaction instilled in his childhood, Severus repeated "Amen," and crossed himself just as Lucy's family had-including Aberforth much to Severus' astonishment. Harry's red eyes had looked up at Severus through his glasses and messy fringe, and belatedly repeated the sign, though not knowing why.

The service over, Severus stepped forward towards the small coffin, gently urging Harry along. Severus knelt down on one knee and whispered into Harry's ear, "Go ahead, son."

Harry sniffed and nodded; his eyes fixed on the coffin and laid his two bouquets of white daises and forget-me-nots atop it. One bouquet was from Harry, the other from Lucy. Severus gently placed his flowers and rose heavily, his usual grace supplanted by the bone-deep weariness of mourning. He took Harry by the hand and placed his other bouquets on the graves of his grandmother and mother. Severus and Harry then stood together as family and friends filed by to pay their respects and offer well wishes and support for Lucy.

Remus and Sirius stopped. Sirius looked gravely at Severus and said, "I start now. Remus will join me when he can." Severus simply nodded in response. There needed to be no elaboration. Sirius would begin his hunt for the bastard, Musgrave.

Remus explained though he had no need to. "I have rehearsals three nights a week. Other than that, I will be with Sirius and keep you informed of any developments."

Severus did not watch as they walked away, he simply continued to numbly shake hands with people whose grave countenanced faces blended together after the first few paid their respects. In the distance, he heard the familiar, pop! of Disapparation.

Sirius and Remus had officially begun their hunt. Severus and Harry would go home to his mother-in-law and their own Sleeping Beauty.

***2:37 p.m. ***

Severus stepped out of the Floo in his sitting room at Spinners End. Allen was carrying a tray food up the stairs. He stopped and looked back when he heard the Floo come to life. "We just got her settled in," he said with a fatigued grating of his voice at the end of the statement. "I'm just bring'n somthin' up to Mama."

Just as Severus put Harry down, the boy shouted, "Mummy's home!"

The little boy pounded up the stairs, his shoes clattering noisily until he reached the thin carpet covering the steps.

"Harry!" Severus said tightly, trying not to raise his voice. "What are the rules about running in the house?"

"But Daddy…Mummy…"

"Is just upstairs and will be there when we get there!" Severus snapped. Harry looked immediately crestfallen; obviously uncertain as to what he had said or done to make Severus react so. He did not mean to take his frustration and fatigue out on Harry. Severus was just as anxious to see Lucy as Harry was and it wasn't Harry's running in the house that bothered him. Severus' nerves just couldn't stand the noise at that particular moment.

It was the reason he had declined his colleagues offer to hold a luncheon. It was enough that the O'Conners and the Dumbledores were coming over for dinner and to visit Lucy later that evening.

Severus pinched the bridge of his nose and breathed deeply in an effort to collect himself, "I apologise, Harry. I simply have a headache and need some quiet right now."

"I'm sorry too, Daddy," Harry said in sincere apology. "I'll be quiet."

"Where's Papa?" Allen asked awkwardly, changing the subject. Richard would be staying in the same guest room as Esther and he had not followed after Severus through the Floo.

"He stopped by the pub with your grandfather."

"Come on, squirt," Allen said with an easy smile to Harry as he continued his way up the stairs. "You can help me talk Grandma into eatin' somethin'. She hasn't eaten at all today."

"Would you like me to Floo for your father?" Severus suggested wearily. "Certainly he could…"

"No. It's not certain." Allen replied with a bit of dry humour. "If the situation were reversed I'd say you were right, Mama could make Papa eat. But when Mama gets focused on somethin' she forgets all else. She can get downright ornery sometimes. And in all honesty, Severus, I think it might be best to leave Papa be for now. He's not exactly takin' this well," Allen said sadly. "He had approved of Lucy and Ken's engagement when Mama had not. I think he's feelin' a bit guilty."

Severus could certainly relate to his future father-in-law's feelings of guilt. If it hadn't been for Harry, Severus was certain that he would have drowned himself in a bottle of firewhiskey days ago. He could certainly use a drink or ten right about now.

They walked down the long corridor that led to the master suite at the far end of the house. Severus had yet to become accustomed to his house being so large. He wondered once more exactly how many children did Aberforth and Albus expect him and Lucy to have.

The smell of flowers wafted down the corridor. They had been arriving from students and parents since that first horrible night. Once the word of the attack made the paper, the amount of flowers sent to Lucy rose exponentially. No longer was she the witch vying to replace Lily Potter. She was now the victim of a horrible mistake made by the Ministry, a Dumbledore and beloved by Harry Potter.

The outrage over the early release of a violent prisoner was bad enough, but the pictures of a crying and heartbroken six-year-old Harry Potter that had mysteriously made their way to the Prophet, was more than the Minister's fragile career could stand. There were cries for his resignation and rumours abounded that there would be an announcement soon. The details given in the articles were incomplete, only that Lucy had been Musgrave's former fiancé, not that he was the father of her lost child.

Kenneth Musgrave was now the most wanted man in Britain. The speculation was that he was a raven Animagus. The Aurors had found a black feather outside the window of Lucy's wall that contained a magical human signature. Hexes were flying at poor innocent birds from everywhere on the isle. Thankfully, other than a nasty shock, the hexes were relatively harmless on the non-magical birds. It was a good thing, otherwise one of the most common birds in Britain would be near extinction. The Department of the Care of Magical Creatures had extended its authority to protect the Tower Ravens.

Harry opened the door for Allen. The room rivalled Pomona's flower hot-house. Esther was sitting at the edge of the king-sized four posted bed. Lucy was dressed in her favourite nightshirt of Severus'. Esther had set her up in a seemingly more comfortable position. A hard lump came up into Severus' throat. Lucy looked as though her head were simply leaning against her pillow, sleeping peacefully. She looked as if she would wake at any moment. Perhaps he should have let Harry run like a stampeding Abraxon through the house... and maybe he would invite the Weasley children as well if Harry's racket did nothing. Surely the noise from the ensuing chaos would rouse some response from her.

Esther was braiding Lucy's hair whilst she spoke to her unresponsive daughter. "I must say, Baby Girl, you will find braids far more comfortable to sleep in than..."

Allen attempted to sound cheerful, but there was a hint of apprehension in his voice when he said, "Mama... Harry and I brought you somethin' for lunch."

Esther looked up and gave a weary smile, "Just set it there," she said uninterested in the food, indicating the side table on the opposite side of the bed- the table that closest to her was full of medicinal and nutritive potions for Lucy.

"Mama, you haven't eaten anything since last night."

Esther finished tying a bow at the end of Lucy's braid and said, "I'm fine, Allen. I'll eat when I'm ready."

Severus removed his outer cloak and laid it over the empty chair in front of Lucy's vanity table. "Esther, I know I'm not one to be lecturing you, but Allen is correct. Your magic will be of no good to Lucy if you don't maintain your energy." Though they looked simple, the charms it took to spell potions into an unconscious patient were highly specialised and Severus had no clue as to how to perform them himself. Lucy needed her mother's expertise if Lucy were to continue her recovery at home.

"I promise to eat later, boys," Esther assured, as she brushed her hand against Lucy's cheek and looked at her lovingly, "I'm simply not hungry at the moment."

"Mama, if you wait until you're hungry, you'll starve yourself to death."

Esther gave her youngest son a look that was intended to put him in his place. Harry came up and stood next to her, leaning against the bed and taking Lucy's hand. "Grandma, you were talking to Mummy. Can she hear you?"

Esther scooted over and made room for Harry to join her on the edge of the bed. "It's believed that the catatonic can sometimes hear what goes on about them," she said as Harry climbed up on the bed beside her and once again took Lucy's hand. "If she can hear us, it will give her all the more motivation to come back to us if we talk to her."

"Can I read to her?" Harry looked up to Severus hopefully. "Instead of you and Mummy reading to me before bedtime, I can read to her and she'll know all the new words I learned. Please, may I, Daddy?"

Severus sighed gustily and looked to his future mother-in-law. "Would it be too much of a bother to you?"

"Not at all," Esther warmly smiled to Harry. "In fact, I think Lucy would enjoy it very much."

Severus suggested, "Harry-why don't you go change into your play clothes and feed your rabbit. You may then bring a book back with you. You can read to Mummy a bit before tea."

"Brilliant!" Harry hopped down from the tall bed and began to run out the door. Severus no sooner opened his mouth to admonish Harry for running in the house again when the boy apparently remembered on his own and slowed himself to a quick walk. "Sorry, Daddy," he said, not sounding apologetic at all. Harry called back to Esther whilst exiting the room, "You better be eating when I get back, Grandma."

Severus lifted his brow at his son's impertinence. Esther chuckled deeply. Severus' heart nearly sank, for it was eerily similar to Lucy's laugh. "I suppose I can't ignore that ultimatum." With a wave of her wand, a small table and chair appeared next to Severus, and the food tray floated around the bed and settled itself gently on the table.

"Mother, I do apologise for Harry's cheek," Esther had insisted over the holidays that Severus call her "Mama," as her other children had. Severus could not bring himself to use the colloquialism, thus he and Esther had agreed to, 'Mother.' "It seems that I must have another discussion with him about respecting his elders."

"It's quite alright, Severus." Esther said as she took her chair at the small table. "Ya'll are right. I can't neglect myself. I suppose it just took a baby to set me straight."

"Now that you're taken care of, I think I'll go lay down for awhile myself." Allen said. His face was drawn. Severus could tell that the young man was weary from trying to get his mother to care for herself whilst consumed by his own worry for his sister.

"I'll let you know when everyone arrives for supper," Severus informed Allen.

Allen's shoulders sagged perceptibly as he said, "Thanks, Severus.'"

He closed the door quietly behind himself as he left, leaving Severus and Esther alone with Lucy.

Severus pulled up a chair between the bed and Esther's table. "Would you care to join me?" Esther asked. "I can conjure something for you if you like."

"No thank you," Severus said as he sat down and hitched his trousers at their knees. "Mother, I can't thank you enough. It means more than I can say to have Lucy at home rather than the hospital," he sighed.

"She's my baby, Severus. There's nothing to thank me for."

Severus understood. There was nothing he wouldn't do for Harry, no matter how old the boy was. Harry would always be his child.

Severus looked down at his feet. "I'm afraid Rich...Father, may find me somewhat more culpable than yourself," he said. Every fibre of his core ached.

Esther put down her soup spoon. The look on her face suggested she was annoyed, but her tone was sympathetic. "Severus, we've already said, we don't blame you for what happened."

"I know what you said. However, it's obvious to me that Father feels differently. He has barely spoken to me since your arrival and he did not return after the funeral."

Esther sighed. She arose and walked over to Severus and knelt down to look him in the eye. He looked into her eyes for a brief moment, then lowered his gaze. Her turquoise eyes were too much like Lucy's.

"Severus, it is not you that Richard is angry with, it is me."

Severus looked over to his sleeping Lucy, mostly to avoid his mother-in-law's gaze. "You?" he scoffed in disbelief. How could anyone be angry with an angel of mercy such as Esther?

"Yes, he's upset with me."

"If staying here is going to come between you and Richard, I can find another way to..."

Esther shook her head, "No- my staying here to care for Lucy has nothing to do with it, Severus," she said with a breathy sigh. "Richard believes that Lucy should come home to Charleston with us."

Severus' eyes snapped up. "Pardon?"

"Not to worry, Lucy isn't going anywhere," Esther said determinedly. "Richard believes that as you and Lucy are not yet married, she belongs home with us. I told him that it was a mere technicality. Lucy's heart is here with you and with Harry. This is where she would want to be."

Severus fought a wave of panic as a traitorous voice in his head whispered that Richard was right. As Severus had not yet married Lucy, it was within her family's every right to take her away from him.

Apparently, like her daughter, Esther seemed to read his mind. "Severus, Lucy is not going anywhere," she repeated with emphasis. "She belongs with you. I'm as sure of it I was that she did not belong with...him."

Severus nodded tightly, "Thank you, Mother."

Esther smiled and stood up. She then walked back over to her table, "None required, Severus," she exhaled gustily, "I suppose I had better at least make the pretence of eating before Harry comes back."

Severus couldn't help but to smile inwardly. Esther would never hear the end of it from Harry if she didn't eat. Severus discovered long ago that there was nothing so dreadful as disappointing a child.

He mulled over Esther's words as she picked at her food. Severus did not want to be the source of contention between his in-laws. "Is there anything I can say or do to assure Father?"

"No Severus," Esther said regrettably. "He'll come around. Lucy is his youngest daughter, and will therefore always be his little girl. It will just take him a little time."

"But there is one thing you can do for me," Esther said, apparently changing the subject from her obstinate husband.

"Name it."

"Please, stop calling me 'mother,'" Esther practically pleaded. "It's just too...oh...I don't know..."

"Stuffy?" Severus quirked his eyebrow in amusement. He knew Esther well enough to know that she was trying not to sound insulting.

Esther chuckled in amusement before she took a bite of her sandwich. "You said it. It didn't."

Severus looked away because he was having trouble keeping from rolling his eyes. "I just don't think I can accustom myself to calling you 'mama.'"

Esther looked slightly annoyed. "Then how about 'mom?'"

"I'm British. We don't have 'moms' here." Severus said, affronted. "What would you say to a compromise and I call you 'mum?'"

Esther then smiled broadly and Severus felt his heart lurch once again as he saw her resemblance to Lucy in that expression.

"Then mum's the word," Esther laughed gaily at her horrible pun and Severus could not help but to smile. It felt good to be light-hearted, if only for a moment. He only wished that Lucy was awake to share the moment.

***1 February, 1987***

Daddy had put a small table in the room with Mummy so Harry could stay during the day.

Harry practiced his calligraphy writing, tongue stuck firmly between his teeth in concentration as he made the downward stroke of the letter he had chosen to work on that day. Mummy had given him a brilliant set of quills and nibs for Christmas and Harry wanted to show her how good his writing was when she woke up.

Daddy was helping Grandma with Mummy's potions and Grandma was teaching Daddy some new spells. Harry sat quietly drawing his letter while the adults took care of Mummy.

It seemed like forever since Mummy had been hurt. Daddy had stayed home from work, because he did not want to be away from Mummy. Harry knew how Daddy felt. Harry didn't want to go to the Weasley's either. Most days, Harry stayed home with Daddy and Grandma, but he went to the Weasley's sometimes because Daddy thought he needed to play with his friends. Harry would rather spend his days at home. What if Mummy woke up and he wasn't there?

Uncle Albus and Pawpaw Aberforth came every day and sometimes Mrs. Weasley would stop by with Ron, Fred and George, on weekends when Mr. Weasley was home. Then they would go outside and play on the new play set Harry got for Christmas.

She would always bring food with her so it would be, "one less worry" for Grandma and Daddy. Grandpa called to talk to Grandma and Daddy on the weekends. He called on the Muggle telephone in Daddy's office every Saturday afternoon. But most days, they just spent their time with Mummy. Harry would read to Mummy from Beedle the Bard, or quietly play on the floor with Thor. Daddy would read her some kind of mushy poetry from some guy named Pablo and Grandma would tell her everything that was happening at Grandpa's. They would always sit and talk to Mummy and sometimes Harry would imagine her talking back.

Sometimes the Healers would come. This was the saddest time for Harry because they would always say that there was no change in Mummy. It always made Daddy and Grandma sad too. Harry would sometimes wish that the Healer would never come back.

Harry tried to act happy for Daddy and Grandma, and even Mummy- just in case she was listening. Harry could never remember being so sad. Sometimes, he wondered if this was how he felt when his first mummy died. He thought that he probably felt even sadder than he did now, but no matter how he tried he couldn't remember. The only thing Harry could recall when he tried to think back that far was a bright green light and the sound of a woman screaming his name. Harry didn't even know if it was real and that made him a little sad sometimes.

Harry loved his Mummy and Daddy...more than anything...but he would give up anything (except Mummy and Daddy) to have a real memory of his first Mummy and Daddy...even a sad one. But then he thought, maybe that's why he didn't remember. Perhaps, sometimes...when something was too sad, people forgot. That was the other reason Harry tried to be happy. He did not want to become so sad, that he would forget his new Mummy. Harry didn't think he could stand to forget another Mummy.

Daddy and Grandma tried to act happy too, at least when Harry was around, but it didn't work.

Harry had heard Grandma trying to talk Daddy into going back to work, but Daddy would hear nothing of it. He wouldn't leave Mummy. Mummy would wake up any day now. She had to.

Harry was just about to show Daddy and Grandma how well he could write the letter "R" in calligraphy. He could now write the letter's "S," "A," "E," "Y," "H," and now "R". He could now spell his name and was trying to learn the letters for Daddy's. He'd had the hardest time with the letter "S" because it was so curvy. But he knew Mummy would be so proud of him when she woke up, because he had learned to write them all by himself.

Harry looked up into the air suddenly when he heard Uncle Remus' voice call out all around the room, "Severus? Are you there?" He sounded really excited.

Daddy looked at Mummy, and then to Grandma. She asked with a little, odd quaver to her voice, "You don't think they found Ke...?" .

"I'm not certain." Daddy replied. He had a strange look on his face. Harry wasn't sure if Daddy was anxious or excited. Maybe he was both. "I'll be right back," he said quickly then darted out the door.

Harry looked at Grandma, knowing his eyes were wide with fear and wishing he was more like Daddy. "What was that about? Did Uncle Sirius and Uncle Remus find Mr. Musgrave?"

"It's nothing for you to worry yourself about," Grandma said a bit too cheerfully. "Why don't you show me what you've been working on? She came to Harry's table a conjured a small chair. Grandma was short for a grown-up, just like Mummy, and she fit almost perfectly into the almost kid-sized chair. Harry liked having Grandma around, but he desperately missed Mummy. He really wished she would hurry and wake up.

Harry had showed Grandma how good he could make his letter "R" when Daddy rushed back into the room. Daddy looked as meaner that Harry had ever seen him with his hair flying about his head and his lips held in a thin line, his eyes burning blackly, even though they were squinched almost shut. It was kind of scary. Harry was glad he never did anything to make his daddy look that angry. He even looked meaner than the time Harry had run away into the Forbidden Forest. The door to his wardrobe flew open and a travelling cloak zinged over Harry's head and into Daddy's outstretched hand. Daddy threw it on with a swirl of dark fabric. "I must go. I may be gone for a couple of hours, so have lunch without me... and possibly supper."

Grandma practically hopped out of her chair and said to Daddy, "Did they find..."

"Yes, I'll tell you everything as soon as I have more details. Harry, you be good and listen to Grandma whilst I'm gone."

Daddy rushed back out of the room and Grandma called out, "Severus...be careful!"

Harry thought Grandma sounded a little scared but Harry knew there was no need to be scared for Daddy. Daddy was one of the most powerful wizards Harry ever saw and Daddy was going to take care of Mr. Musgrave, but good. If anybody should be scared, it was Mr. Musgrave. Daddy was going to really wallop him.

***4:47 p.m.***

Daddy had been gone for quite some time now. They had lunch a long time ago and Grandma was downstairs in the kitchen making dinner. Harry wanted Daddy home, but he wasn't worried. Daddy must really be taking care of Mr. Musgrave. A naughty part of Harry wished that he was there to see it. Never in his life, had Harry wanted to hurt someone—not even Dudley (well...not too much), but he really wanted to hurt Mr. Musgrave for what he did to Mummy and Felicity.

Harry had his copy of Beedle the Bard and climbed up into the bed next to his Mummy. She still looked like she was just sleeping. She always looked like she was sleeping, and sometimes Harry would take a nap right next to her, pretending while he cuddled close, that she was holding him.

***5: 33 p.m.***

Harry didn't know for how long he had slept. He didn't mean to fall asleep, but sometimes that happened when he read, especially since Mummy was so quiet.

He would still be asleep, but he felt something. Someone had removed his glasses and there was a soft hand caressing his cheek. If he didn't know better, he would swear it felt like...

"Mummy?"

Harry hesitantly opened his eyes. He held his breath and wished a desperate wish. When his eyes were fully opened, Mummy's face was so close that she wasn't blurry.

Harry could hardly breathe. Mummy's pretty blue eyes were open. She had been crying and she was looking straight at Harry. Harry began to cry too.

Mummy then said softly with a watery smile, "Hi, baby."

Harry cried, "Mummy!" He flung his arms around his mummy's neck. Mummy rested her arm around him and this time she held him for real. Mummy was too weak to hold him tight, but it was the most wonderful hug Harry ever had in his life. Harry continued to cry as his mummy held him to his chest.

"Hush baby," she whispered through her tears. "I already promised you, I would never leave you again."

The End.
End Notes:
A special thanks to my Beta, Tambrathegreat. She lent some lovely nuances that really helped bring this chapter to life.

The words spoken by Lucy's brother come directly from the Episcopal Book of Common Prayer. The Episcopal Church is the American branch of the Anglican Communion. Crossing oneself, though usually attributed to Catholics, is also practiced by many Anglicans.

I'm sorry I haven't had much time to answer reviews, but school has me swamped. Thank you to all of you who have left your lovely reviews and encouragement.

Next time...Kenneth's fate (Bruhahahaha!)

TTFN
~Missyann
A Time to Live and a Time to Die by missyanne
Author's Notes:
Language warning.

***Somewhere Beyond***

Wispy dark grey clouds floated across the silver overcast sky to the west. To the east-darkness. Lucy looked about her. She stood on the old plank boat landing. Snowy white egrets waded their way through the brackish low water. Spanish moss draped a spidery vale through the old cypress and oak trees. The camellias and magnolias were in full bloom. Silhouetted in the distance, was the Georgian mansion in which she grew up in.

Lucy was home.

She raised her white shift around her ankles and she gleefully ran in her bare feet across the wooden planks and into the muddy banks of the river. She stopped momentarily when it occurred to her that she had made no sound. The pounding of her feet on wood should have echoed across the river. The egrets continued to feed, as if she weren't there.

It was uncanny. There were no sounds at all. It seemed for all the world to be springtime, yet there was no croaking song of bullfrogs...no bellowing of alligators longing for a mate. And there was something else...the happiness she had felt at the sight of her childhood home had been fleeting-and now was replaced by something Lucy couldn't name, but it was definitely uncomfortable. She felt as if something were tugging at her heart from two directions.

Lucy looked about her and called out, "Hello!"

Nothing- not even an echo.

Well, she thought nonplussed, at least she had heard her own voice.

However, the sound fell flat. It did not echo off the trees as it should have. The only answer to her call was dead silence. A chill ran up her spine, as if a rabbit had just run across her grave.

There were no smells either. No flowery, sweet fragrance of honey suckle in evening bloom. No earthy, loamy scent of blackwater and cypress.

It made no sense. It was if she had stepped into a mirror image of life. It was all so strange and surreal. It looked like home, yet did not feel like home. Something was wrong...something was missing...Lucy felt as though she had lost something...she felt...detached.

Lucy decided to walk the gravel path towards the house. Perhaps someone was home who could give her some insight into what was happening. Something nagged at her insides, telling her that the house would be empty too- devoid of life, just as the rest of the world seemed to be. If it wasn't for the persistent ache in her heart that seemed to intensify with every passing step, Lucy would have doubted her own existence.

Lucy approached the front portico of the house, when her heart leapt. She thought she might have heard something from around the back of the house-laughter...childish laughter. It ceased immediately, and Lucy was certain she had only imagined it, but something within her compelled her to investigate nonetheless.

Slowly, Lucy took guarded steps as she came along the side of the house. When the back yard and the and the adjacent creek and foot bridge came into view-Lucy saw her...a little girl with golden blond hair, two years old at most. The age was wrong, but Lucy knew that little spirit. She knew it as surely as she knew Harry's.

"Felicity!" she cried out.

The child failed to acknowledge Lucy, but instead, continued to run, giggling with childish glee and toddling towards a figure waiting at the footbridge with outstretched arms.

"Felicity! Baby, stay away from the water!"

Lucy's daughter continued to ignore her pleas. Lucy started to run towards her, but she had to stop when the pain in her heart intensified to the point where she nearly fell to her knees. But Lucy had to ignore the pain. She needed to reach her baby.

Lucy was about to call out to Felicity again, when the figure awaiting at the bridge-an elderly woman, swept up Felicity into her arms with an ease that seemed unnatural for a woman her age. "There's my Sevy's girl," the old woman exulted with a now familiar Mancunian accent. She gave Lucy's baby a kiss on the cheek and Felicity returned the kiss in kind with a sloppy baby kiss planted on the elder woman's wrinkled face. "We've been waiting for you for quite some time now."

Lucy stood and stewed in a fit of jealousy. Who did that old-woman think she was? That was Lucy's baby. Those were Lucy's sloppy kisses. Lucy was just about to protest when recognition hit her. That aquiline nose...those endless black eyes... "Imogene?" It was Severus' beloved Nana Snape.

As if her eyes were only just coming into focus, Lucy began to vaguely see others gathered on the bridge. Some, she recognised as members of her own family-her own grandparents...and Mamaw Ellie, Papaw's wife...but none of them stepped forward to welcome Lucy.

It quickly dawned on her that all of these souls standing on the bridge were dead. That could only mean...

Lucy turned to Nana Snape, the only person she had heard speak. "A-am I dead?"

Imogene Snape rested Felicity on her hip and old-woman and infant looked into Lucy's eyes with a wisdom Lucy could scarcely fathom. "That remains to be seen, dear."

"But Felicity..." Lucy reached out for her child, but Severus' grandmother stepped out of her reach as Felicity buried her face in the old-woman's shoulder, as if afraid she would be taken.

"Felicity cannot go with you, my dear."

A young short man with dirty blond hair and an accent that reminded Lucy of home suddenly stepped forward. It was her friend Chris. Next to him stood two people Lucy would have recognised straight away, even if she had never seen the photographs. She had trouble combing out that rat's nest of raven hair every morning...and she would recognise those almond-shaped emerald eyes anywhere.

Why where the Potter's there? For that matter why was Nana Snape? If Lucy was dead...why wasn't her family coming forward? Lucy wanted to see them all.

As if answering her unasked question, James Potter spoke first. "They're afraid if they come forward, you will be too tempted to cross over."

Lily Potter took her husband's arm and looked at Lucy pleadingly. "And you must go back, Lucy."

"No!" As soon as Lucy said it, she collapsed to her knees. No one stepped from the bridge to help her. She felt as if her heart were being rendered in two. She could no longer stand it. Lucy felt as if she were going to die...if she wasn't dead already.

"Please...my baby...she needs me."

"No she doesn't, love," Chris said ever so gently. "Not right now."

"Give her back to me!" Lucy cried out in anger, frustration, and pain. "She's mine! I want her back!"

Lucy couldn't stand it as they all, including her own baby as she clung to Severus' nana, looked at her in pity. "Lucy, she can't," James Potter said in a way a only parent who has been torn from their child could understand. "It is not her time."

"Of course it's not her time to die. She hasn't even been bor..."

"No Lucy, you don't understand," Lily Potter said sympathetically. "It is not her time to live-and she never will if you don't go back. Not to mention, you are needed by others."

Lucy clutched at her heart as a new wave of pain engulfed her entire body. It was pain born of unmitigated grief, fear of uncertainty, and a sense of abandonment. "Severus...Harry..."

The Potter's looked grief stricken themselves. Lucy was too far gone in pain to notice Lily Potter look up beseechingly to her husband. He gave a quick nod and Lily stepped off of the bridge. When she did, she was surrounded by a green ethereal glow. She knelt down in front of the grieving Lucy whose heart was being torn in two.

Lucy felt a touch like a cool breeze on the side of her cheek, and looked up to see those familiar green eyes pleading with her. Lily was touching her cheek. "Lucy, please...I understand...I understand your reluctance to leave your baby behind...but you must. It is not your time to die just as it is not her time to live. Lucy, the pain you feel belongs to those you have left behind. It will never go away if you don't go back. Not until your loved ones find you again."

Lucy swallowed back the pain enough to ask, "Why...why don't you fe..."

"Because it was our time to die, Lucy," Lily explained sadly. "If you stay here, it means you have given up and turned your back on the gift of life you were given. You will suffer a suicide's fate- destined to feel the pain and grief of those you have left behind until it is their time to die."

"Can I take it from them?" Lucy would gladly die if it meant that Harry and Severus would no longer have to feel such agony. She would bear it for eternity if she had to, but her mother's instinct did not want to leave her daughter either. Hell could not be any worse than this.

"No Lucy...you cannot take away their pain...only feel it-and go through time knowing that you are the cause of it."

"But what of, Felicity? I can't leave her here alone."

"But she's not alone. James and I will take care of her. We all will." Lily said as she smiled and looked back to her husband. Felicity reached out her arms from Nana Snape, She grinned widely and her little hands grasped the air for James until he took her in his arms and they both smiled to Lucy and Lily. Lily turned back to Lucy, her smile bright, "See. We promise to take care of her and love her as our own until it is her time to go back to you...Just as you and Severus love our Harry."

That eased Lucy's worry somewhat. Lucy loved Harry as if she bore him herself. If the Potter's would love Felicity with such intensity, Lucy had nothing to fear for her daughter.

Lily was right. Lucy had to go back. She couldn't leave Harry and Severus alone. Not now. Not like this.

Lucy tersely nodded her agreement, still wishing as hard as ever that she could bring her baby back. Lily offered Lucy a hand up, and Lucy willingly took it. Lucy did not feel Lily's flesh as much as she felt her energy course through her body and give her a renewed strength.

Lucy's pain had eased somewhat. It was no longer unbearable, but it was still there, she needed to go back to the people she loved, but there was something else she needed as well.

As Lily began to walk back to the bridge, Lucy stepped forward and asked hesitantly, "May I...may I hold my baby...just this once?"

Chris held out his hand to Lily and drew his fellow spirit back beyond the unseen veil.

This time, it was James Potter who stepped out with Felicity in his arms. This time, the child's face lit up with recognition for her mummy at leaned forward in a desperate attempt to get to Lucy. Lucy gathered her child into her arms, all the while James Potter kept a protective hand on Felicity.

"She is not strong enough to make the crossover on her own again."

Lucy did not hear James' explanation. She was lost in the feeling of unconditional love flowing from her child's spirit. Lucy could feel Felicity's open mouth slobbery baby kiss on her cheek. It felt altogether like eternity and then again, all-to-soon when Lucy's time with Felicity had passed. It wrenched Lucy's heart to give her child back to James Potter, but Harry and Severus needed her, and to Lucy's sadness, at this time Felicity did not. Without question, Lucy had to return to them, and without question, leaving Felicity behind was the hardest thing she ever had to do. Her heart felt stuck in her throat as she accepted the truth of it all.

"Take care of her," Lucy asked though her quiet tears as she unwillingly passed her girl back to James.

"We will Lucy," James smiled back. "Every bit as much as you take care of Harry. I'd ask you to tell Severus that Lily and I are both eternally grateful for everything he has done for our son, but we'll tell him ourselves when it's his time."

Lucy watched with a heavy heart as James Potter crossed back across the threshold of the bridge with Felicity. Nobody waved goodbye. They only stood silently and watched as Lucy turned away and made her way back to the river landing. Already the pain and desperation that she had felt earlier was beginning to ease as she chose to continue to live the life she was meant to.

Before rounding the side of the house and away from the view of the bridge, Lucy decided she had to have once last look at Felicity before she was gone. Lucy turned and looked back. This time Felicity was waiving to her, a broad and happy smile across her angelic face. She would always recognize that happy spirit.

It had not occurred to Lucy-nor would it ever-that the child no longer had wavy blond hair. Rather, the little girl's hair now framed her in a raven curtain, her aquiline nose gave her a Romanesque continence, with eyes as blue-green as turquoise.


How did she get here? Where was she? Was she anywhere?

Lucy remembered nothing. Lucy could see nothing.

The world was white, as if she were in the midst of a raging blizzard and she suffered from snow blindness. She could not feel her body. She felt weightless...suspended...as if she were completely immersed in a warm bath. She could hear them sometimes. Disembodied voices speaking to her. She could not understand the conversations or what they were trying to say to her...but the voices and the people were real. Lucy knew that much.

At first Lucy could not remember their names...the Babel speakers. She only knew that if she could find them...the voices would lead her back to where she needed to be. Lucy focused in on the voices...trying to understand...making them all that mattered...not as if there were anything else to focus on in the vast nothingness.

Then came recognition. Recognition that came from the womb.

Mama?

Her Mama was there. Then other voices...her family...Pawpaw?...her friends...Alf?...her soul mate...Severus!...her son...Harry!

She knew them all, and they drew her back to them. Mama's idle conversations...Severus' poetry...and Harry's fairy tales...and always, always the plea that Lucy return to them. Lucy was determined to return.

Then one day, it happened. She could feel her body again. A small warm body pressed against her. A soft chuffing snore. Slowly Lucy opened her eyes. She could not see very well as her eyes adjusted to the harsh new light.

Harry. Harry had fallen asleep while reading to her. His glasses lay crookedly on his cherubic face and the book he had been reading from was sandwiched beneath his cheek and the bed.

Gingerly, Lucy turned herself over. Slower still, she reached out and removed Harry's glasses. The effort was Herculean but see couldn't let Harry lose yet another pair. It was not Lucy's intention to awaken Harry, but perhaps he had not been far enough into his nap to be fully asleep.

Sleepy little emerald eyes were staring at her from behind a black lunatic fringe. Lucy weakly smiled at her awakening angel.

"Hi, baby."

***5:33 p.m. ***

Most of the evening had been an elaborate game of cat and mouse...Severus of course being the cat.

Earlier that day, Remus had come with the news that Musgrave had been located. It had come as no surprise to Severus to find that the son-of-a-bitch had been hiding right under their noses the entire time.

The Aurors had looked from Wick to Plymouth and from Norwich to the Isle of Man and found no trace of Musgrave...nor would they. The week before Severus had been informed by the Ministry, that although Kenneth Musgrave was still a wanted man it was believed that he had somehow escaped the United Kingdom. The International Floo and Portkey authorities had been notified as well as Muggle airports and shipping authorities and thus far, Musgrave had not turned up, but such was the efficiency in the Ministry. Severus was glad he had the sense and the wherewithal to start his own search.

Severus had known better, and so had the remaining Marauders. Black and Lupin had kept their search quiet...yet localised. The duo had hunted the Forbidden Forest...at great personal risk, Severus had to admit. Severus would have expected that Black would recount the tale of how he and Lupin had escaped the denizens of the forest with much flourish and more Gryffindor bravado than was rightfully sane; however, Black was taking his mission with more seriousness that Severus previously thought the Marauder to possess.

How the hell a mating pair of Acromantulas had made their way to Northern Scotland from Borneo was beyond Severus, but he had his suspicions. Creatures native to a tropical climate could not gain a foothold in cold habitat such as the Scottish Highlands without help. Severus was going to have to speak with the gamekeeper later about his choice in pets. He would also have to speak to Albus who could then confer with the Centaurs on how to rid the forest of them. Even as deep inside the forest as Black and Lupin claimed the monsters were, at least a half-dozen children served detention every year for wandering inside the forest. There was a great chance that tragedy might not be able to be avoided with children being the foolhardy dunderheads that they were, especially with the monsters so close to a school was too high. And to think-Harry could have stumbled across them...

Black and Lupin had also spent time scouring the village and the surrounding countryside for Musgrave. They would have gone as far as the closest mixed metropolis, Inverness, but the city was one of the first saturated by Aurors. They did not want to tip off the Ministry to their private investigation. Severus, as well as Black and Lupin weren't set on exacting justice. They were out to exact revenge. As far as they were concerned, Musgrave would never see the inside of a courtroom.

They knew perfectly well that Musgrave couldn't have gone far; as Lucy had managed to critically wound him. But Severus, Lupin and Black had known that Severus had made the curse permanent. It was a bit of information they had kept to themselves in case there were legal ramifications for Severus.

As it was, Musgrave had been hiding under their noses all along... or to be more precise... right under Hagrid's nose. Apparently, the half-giant had found a wounded rook lying close to death by the old footbridge that led out of the castle, the day after Lucy's assault. Afraid that the helpless bird would soon find itself prey to Mrs. Norris, the gentle half-giant took the animal home to nurse it back to health.

Hagrid had only been privy to the reports published in the Prophet. As far as the gamekeeper was aware, Musgrave had escaped into England and he was not aware of the fugitive's injury. Of the hundreds of rooks, ravens, and crows that inhabited the Hogwarts' grounds, what were the chances that one injured bird was actually Kenneth Musgrave?

Unfortunately, no matter what the gamekeeper did, the bird did not seem to be healing properly. It had begun to eat and had appeared stronger, but Hagrid couldn't understand why it still seemed to be in so much pain. Hagrid intended to take the bird to Kettleburn, in hopes that the magical creatures "specialist" had some answers, however, Irvin had a run-in with particularly nasty Horklump and was currently at St. Mungo's to hopefully have three of his left fingers reattached. As a result, Hagrid had intended to take his injured charge to Aberforth to see what insight his fellow animal lover might employ. Much to Hagrid's surprise, the bird had protested in its cage on the way to the Hog's Head. At some point, (rooks being magnificently intelligent birds) the avian managed to escape its cage. The last sight Hagrid saw of it, the bird had scarcely managed to fly onto the top of a bare sycamore tree on the outskirts of the Dark Forest.

Hagrid had decided that if the bird deemed itself well enough, he would leave it to itself and its fate and the gamekeeper decided to continue his sojourn to the pub-empty bird cage in hand.

As fate would have it, Hagrid told his tale to Aberforth over several pints just as Lupin and Black had been enjoying a tucker. The two men overheard everything.

Black asked Hagrid for a look at the empty cage, and as he suspected, indigo black feathers were matted at the bottom along with semi-dried droppings. Black, the former Auror, had cast the charm that detected the signature of an Animangus. Black directed Lupin to alert Severus, whilst he and Hagird made their way to the Forbidden Forest, the last known sighting of Musgrave.

It took them nearly five hours to track down Musgrave in the heavily thicketted forest. Finally, in a small clearing, they had caught sight of a murder of ravens atop a bare rowan tree. It was Lupin's keen eyes that caught sight of the single, lame bird that did not belong. Once Severus noticed Musgrave's distinctive yellow beak, he wondered how he could have missed it.

Lupin cast the spell that brought Musgrave back to his human form. From that point, Musgrave's day had definitely gone pear-shaped.

The former diplomat had apparently forgotten the art of diplomacy, because every time he opened his mouth, Musgrave only gave Severus another reason to shut it with his fist. Musgrave's fatal mistake was to call Lucy a slut and then gloat over how he had simply taken away from his former fiancé that in which he had gave her. Severus was certain the wizard must be suicidal or mad...or perhaps both. Either way, if Musgrave had a death wish, Severus at that point was more than happy to oblige the bastard.

Despite the cold, Severus had divested himself of his cloak and frockcoat and his formerly pristine white linen shirt was now encrusted with dirt and blood-the blood being a mixture of dried and fresh. None of it belonged to Severus.

As ready as Severus had been to do in the weak and defenceless wizard, that rage had been satiated after several blows. He did not think he could go home and face Lucy and Harry knowing that he had murdered a defenceless wizard.

Damn, his conscience could really annoy him sometimes.

Severus wasn't certain where they were in the forest any more. For a while, he could hear Black and Lupin, following behind, occasionally their Lumos light would cut through the forest's inky blackness. But suddenly the forest had grown eerily quiet and the only light cast was from the waxing moon that sporadically cast a dappled silvery light from the forest canopy stripped bare of foliage.

Panting for his exertion, Severus sneered as Musgrave challenged him once again using his foul lips to form Lucy's name. He manfully resisted the urge to punch the man once more. Musgrave smiled a toothless and bloody grin at Severus, and peered at his attacker through a slit of one of his bruised and swollen eyes. Musgrave spat at Severus. A mix of putrid blood and sputum spattered across Severus' face.

Musgrave rasped in defiance, "Are you done yet, Snape? Beat me to death if you want. Your whore remains a vegetable."

Severus' face contorted with murderous rage, "As you wish."

Wrath surged through Severus' body and out through his arm as he made to backhand Musgrave one last time. Despite his injuries, Musgrave proved to be faster than Severus anticipated as the animagus managed to dodge Severus' blow and attempted to duck behind a nearby tree. Through the pitch blackness, neither wizard had been aware they were so precariously close to the edge of a ravine.

Musgrave seemed to be swallowed by the darkness as Severus heard the wizard's body tumble haphazardly down the ravine, dislodging loose dirt and rocks as he fell. Severus hoped Musgrave would hit a boulder on the way down and save Severus the trouble of having to finish the job. Unfortunately that was not the case as Severus heard Musgrave's body give a graceless plunk when it hit bottom and Musgrave emitted a weak moan. Severus' adrenaline was beginning to fade and it was getting late. He'd had his fun. It was now time to end the entire fiasco. As much as he hated to, he had decided that he would turn Musgrave over to the Aurors, where the Dementor's Kiss awaited him. It was poetic justice that Severus would be able to then return home to Harry and Lucy, hearth and home.

Severus peered over the edge of the inky black crevice to contemplate his next move when he heard the soft hiss of conversation. Severus, after listening for a moment became aware that there was more than one voice, and that those voices most definitely did not belong to Black and Lupin. The cadence was off, and the few words Severus could distinguish were uttered with a strange, lilting accent. Whatever had joined Musgrave below was definitely not human. The moon was waxing, so there was no danger of werewolves roaming about. Though Severus could not make out most of the muffled conversation, it was undeniably speech and not animal sounds he was listening to. Severus' guess was a couple of disgruntled Centaurs. He allowed himself a small, bitter smile contemplating the thought that Musgrave was going to wake up to an unpleasant surprise.

Severus heard Musgrave moan again, apparently awakened by whatever it was that joined him in the hollow.

"Snape, is that you?" A quivering note of horror crept into Musgrave's final word.

Musgrave's bravado was gone now. The intelligible voices and the disjointed movement had immediately ceased. Severus smirked in satisfaction knowing that Musgrave was probably losing control of his bladder in fear.

Severus supposed he ought to go down into the ravine and save Musgrave from the bogart. He was tempted just to leave the man down there to rot, but Severus did not want to take a chance that Musgrave would recover enough to escape again. As was the mantra of any decent Slytherin, Severus decided caution was the better part of valour and cast a Lumos. The sight that met Severus' eyes would have been enough to make the staunchest Gryffindor run in terror. He felt himself quiver at the sight that greeted him.

The forest floor teemed with young Acromantulas. Severus assumed the beasts were also hungry as their fangs dripped venom that fell with a hiss to the dead leaf-litter on the forest floor, their eight eyes glinted evilly as he swept his unsteady wand to get a better idea of their numbers.

Despite the horror of what was about to take place Severus remained momentarily frozen in place...captured by a combination of morbid curiosity and utter horror. Between the pummelling Severus delivered to him and his tumble down the rocky ravine, Musgrave's eyes swollen shut and he was unable to see his gruesome fate approach. Despite the distance, Severus could still discern the look of terror on the pulpy mess that was once Musgrave's handsome if vapid face.

"Snape...I know you're out there! You have to help me man! Help me!"

Crablike, Musgrave attempted to blindly back away from his aggressors. Severus never answered Musgrave...the creatures were attempting to find their bearings, apparently sensitive to the light emitted by his wand, but if he shouted out, they could very well hone in on Severus.

Severus looked to the right then to the left, looking for a way to get down into the gully to reach Musgrave safely, but could find none and he wasn't about to risk his life for Musgrave's, for a single wizard to go into the ravine alone was suicide. There were only so many hexes that he could cast in quick succession, and once he cast the first hex, he would lose the advantage. He had other spells that would have been effective, but those spells would require that he extinguish his Lumos.

If he hadn't lost Black and Lupin along the way, it might have been possible to save Musgrave, but as it was, Severus would have to douse his wand to cast the necessary spells in what little moonlight glanced down on the scene. For the moment, the only thing Severus could do was keep is Lumos shining on the scene below and hope that he could keep the nocturnal creatures disoriented whilst he waited on the arrival of Black and Lupin.

Unfortunately, Severus did not have enough time to suss out his other options as what seemed like an eternity from the time Musgrave fell into the ravine until the time he met his death was in actuality, less than sixty seconds. Death came to Musgrave from the darkness behind him, but alas, none too quickly, if he could tell by the slowing convulsions of the man's body as the Acromantulas swaddled him in silk. Severus swallowed back his bile as he Noxed the light. The horrific sounds of Musgrave's final, muffled, grunts filled the forest as at least a dozen adolescent Acromantulas descended upon him and claimed their prize.


What happened next happened so abruptly, that Severus nearly lost control of his bodily functions. He had turned away from the carnage, intending to use the sparse moonlight to light his way back until his wand light was no longer a hindrance to the nocturnal arachnids dispatching Musgrave at that very moment. By the time Severus was ten paces away, the gruesome noises of Lucy's former fiancé had fallen silent. Before he was eleven paces away, Severus' world had literally turned upside-down.

Severus felt the tug at his navel as he was forcibly slammed to the ground and dragged forward at a frightening speed. With his mouth crammed with dirt, leaf-litter and half-frozen snow, Severus was hoisted upside-down, several metres in the air.

Simultaneously and before Severus could register what happening to him, a flash of bluish-green light whizzed past Severus' head. His curtain of hair obscured his vision, but he caught a glimpse of the unknown spell's target. He thought he must have imagined what seemed to be a spider the size of a lorry, flying and then tumbling sickeningly back into the hollow below. As the gigantic spider flew backwards, a silvery opaque protective wall grew up from the ground until it overtook the forest canopy. Severus was unable to discern how far it extended in either direction as he was unceremoniously chunked to the ice-cold forest floor. He was once again spitting out dirt, leaves, and only God knew what else when he saw a hand extended out in front of him.

"You oughtn't to have taken off so quickly. A couple more seconds, and you would have been spider fodder along with Musgrave."

Severus took the offered hand he knew to be Black's. As Severus rose then began to dust himself off, he noticed from the corner of his eye that Remus stood with his wand extended, reinforcing his protective shield so they would have enough time to get a safe distance away from the hollow.

"Was it entirely necessary for you to use that spell?" Severus asked Black in exasperation as he tossed his head to flip his hair from his face. It was the second time a Marauder had caught Severus off-guard with his own spell. As grateful as he was to be alive, Severus still found it galling.

"Sorry, Snape," Black answered smugly. "In the heat of the moment, it was all I could think of. When that...thing came over the rise... it was all I could do to keep from pissing myself, much less think of a dignified way of pulling you from its reach."

Severus was about to snap back a retort when Lupin interrupted urgently, "Gentlemen...I suggest we take this elsewhere."

Severus looked to the werewolf and could see the sweat pouring from his brow in contrast to the vapour emitting from his panting breath. The spell was taking its toll on his friend.

And Lupin was right. Acromantulas were notoriously opportunistic. Although the attention of the majority was now focused on Musgrave and the injured adult...female judging from the quick glimpse Severus got from its shape and size...There was no telling how long it would take for one to notice the presence of the three wizards, or how long Lupin's ward would hold strong.

Severus reached his hand out and lowered Lupin's wand. "That's enough, Remus. They have their meal," Severus said even as Lupin blanched squeamishly, "We have time, but Black is correct, we should make haste."

The trio hurriedly made their way through the forest in tense silence. As they reached the halfway point Remus looked back over his shoulder and said, "I think we're safe now."

The palpable tension broke and Black slapped Severus on the shoulder and said, "I suppose it was fortunate you ran across those Acromantulas, Snape. If the Aurors come around you can honestly say that Musgrave's blood is not on your hands..."

Severus arched his brow and raised his bloody and bruised hands and splayed them for Black to see.

Black looked rather sheepish when he said, "Um...I was speaking figuratively, of course."

Severus remained silent. He knew he ought to feel some guilt over his hand in Musgrave's death, but he could not. He would have saved Musgrave if it was possible, but if truth be told, he had done the man a favour by not saving him, for the Dementor's Kiss was a far more horrific fate. Moreover, the fact that Musgrave could no longer harm his family had lifted a weight from Severus as well.

There weren't words enough for Severus to thank Black and Lupin for all they had done for his family. Very few in Severus' life had earned his loyalty. Remus had done so when he had defended Harry and Severus both from a perceived threat from Black. Sirius earned his loyalty today. It would have been all too easy for Black to allow Severus to die tonight. Lucy's guardianship and adoption of Harry were not yet official and Black would have been granted custody of Harry with little question. Black had proven himself to be a better man than Severus ever thought him capable of being.

Severus would forever remember this evening, if only for the gobsmacked expressions on his companions faces when casually he said, "Remus, Sirius, I don't know about the two of you, but I'm anxious to try Mother's Brunswick Stew that Lucy is always raving about. What say we clean ourselves up and you join us for supper?"


As soon as Severus and his companions Apparated to his back garden, Severus knew something had happened. He was thankful that he and his companions had at least had the forethought to cast cleaning charms on themselves before returning to Spinner's End, otherwise they would have to dodge some awkward questions. Through the French glass doors he could see the throng of people in his sitting room. Severus' heart jumped in his throat as a hundred scenarios, both good and bad, flashed through his brain.

He rushed into his house with Remus and Sirius hot on his heels.

"Daddy!" Harry shouted with a joyous smile as he jumped off of Molly's lap and into Severus' arms. Severus clung to Harry, glad to smell the little boy funk of his son, even as he made a cursory nod to Molly, Arthur, Minerva and Albus. Something drastic must have happened if the Weasley's called upon the venerable Aunt Muriel to watch their children. The only people missing were Aberforth and Esther. Severus knew exactly where they were and he let Harry down to the floor and then turned to the stairs without asking what had happened.

"Severus, wait." Albus called to him. "You need to know what has transpired first."

"Harry, let's go in the kitchen and have a nice hot chocolate, shall we?" Molly said sweetly as she hastily ushered Harry into the kitchen, so the adults could speak openly.

"But we already had hot chocolate. I want to see Mummy..."

Severus did not want Harry to go either, but apparently there were things to which a six-year-old need not be privy. "Go with Aunt Molly, Harry. I will send for you shortly." Severus said as he attempted to quash his burgeoning hope. Albus must always have his say no matter how anxious Severus was to see Lucy with his own eyes.

Once Harry was safely out of ear shot, Severus turned to Albus, "What has happened? Is she...she...," he couldn't say the words for fear his hopes would be dashed.

"Yes-she is awake and she is lucid. Esther and Aberforth are upstairs with Poppy and the Healer."

"I must go to her." Severus said as he once again began up the stairs. He was beginning to regret his day's excursion. He should have been there for Lucy when she awoke. Did she awaken alone? He would never forgive himself if she had.

"Of course you must, Severus. But there are some things you need be aware of first," Arthur interjected.

Severus looked impatiently at the wizards and witch before him, "Things...what things?"

"She doesn't remember, Severus." Minerva elaborated. "She doesn't remember anything after leaving your classroom that day."

Severus' heart sank. If she did not remember the attack, then she... with a creeping sense of anxiety he said, "She does not remember losing the baby."

Albus answered as he smoothed his beard, a thing he did when he was particularly discommoded, "I'm afraid not. Harry was with her when she awoke. Esther sent me her Patronus as soon as she found Lucy awake. Accor..."

"Why did not Esther send me a Patronus?"

"Because you had concerns elsewhere, when distraction could have proved fatal," Albus said evenly, "As I was saying, according to Esther it took a few minutes before Lucy realised something was wrong and began asking about the baby. When Lucy began to ask questions, Esther sent Harry from the room, which was fortunate. Lucy is obviously... distraught and has been asking for you."

Severus was so tense that he felt as if the crease in his brow had somehow etched a line into his skull. He should have been here. Lucy was asking for him and he wasn't there for her. Instead, he was out traipsing about the Dark Forest, wreaking out his petty revenge. Nothing was as important as being there for Lucy and Harry and Severus had failed at his most important duty. The thought of it made him want to retch.

But he was here now, and Lucy needed him. He and Harry had nearly a month to come to terms with the loss of Felicity, now Lucy would have to face that raw grief and she had done so without him initially.

From behind him, Severus felt two strong hands on his shoulders, "Go on, Severus," said Bla...Sirius' voice gently. "She needs you. Remus and I will stay if you like and take care of Harry, or if... you need anything... else."

There was a time when Severus would have thought such a notion ludicrous beyond all reason. But somehow, as solid as Severus as been all of his life, he now felt the need for some sort of reinforcement. Severus was always keenly aware of the need for allies, but he never saw the actual need for friends before now. If he was going to be strong for Lucy, Severus knew he was going to have to lean on his friends for support. He silently nodded his acceptance of Sirius' offer then went up the stairs to see his Lucy once again.


Severus opened the door the squeak of the hinge sounding as tentative as he felt. He hated being unsure of a situation. Upon approaching the door, he knew someone had cast a silencing charm as there was complete silence as he made his way down the upstairs corridor. It was not a good sign.

As he cautiously entered the room, he could see the Healer speaking with Poppy near the front window. Aberforth stood gravely behind Esther with one hand on his granddaughter's shoulder. Esther sat in her usual chair next to the bed, placing a cold cloth on her daughter's brow and whispering words of comfort to her distraught little girl.

Severus swallowed hard at the sight of Lucy. She sat upright in bed, her head facing away from her mother. She almost looked as though she were still in a coma, if it wasn't for the fact that Severus could see her body shaking with despair.

Severus took another hesitant step into the room and quietly said, "Lucy?"

Lucy slowly turned her head to meet Severus' gaze. Her normally sweet voice was cracked and strained from disuse and bitter tears, "Severus...you're back."

Weak though it was, the sound of Lucy saying his name for the first time in a month was sweeter than a siren's song, but the look in her eyes was enough to crush his heart. Her beautiful blue eyes were red and puffy from previously shed tears. Misery radiated from her person, a type that Severus so keenly recognised...the pain, confusion, and guilt over the loss of Felicity. Only Severus knew that for Lucy, the pain and loss was exponentially more acute.

Esther vacated from the chair as Severus rushed to the bedside. Severus ignored the chair and instead sat on the edge of the bed. Lucy's pretty face contorted from her pain. "Oh, Severus, she's gone...he...he...," Lucy could not finish statement that Musgrave had taken her baby. She began to sob once more and Severus leaned down and embraced her slight body. He felt nothing but her quivering body and heard nothing but her bitter weeping.

The only thing he could think to say was, "He's gone, Lucy. He can't harm you ever again." His words did not seem to help Lucy. She only cried in his arms harder.

As much as he wished he could, Severus could never bring Felicity back to Lucy. The only comfort he could give her was the warmth of his body and the promise that he would walk with her through every step of her living Hell, until she emerged again on the other side, whole and happy again.

The End.
End Notes:
Sorry about the delay on this chapter.

Special Thanks to my wonderful beta, Tambrathegreat for her help and brilliant contributions to this chapter.

I hope you all had a wonderful holiday and New Year...and oh...Happy Birthday Tambra and Severus!

Please R&R

~Missyann
The Pain of Healing by missyanne

***2 March, 1987***

"Severus…Severus lad…I do believe your mind is elsewhere at the moment."

Severus sighed heavily as he out down the parchment containing his student's progress over the past two months. All seemed to be in order. Filius Flitwick was more than a master of charms; he was quite possibly one of the most organised wizards Severus had ever come across. Filius had managed both Severus' and his own O.W.L. and N.E.W.T. level students whilst delegating the lower level classes to a few of the more promising seventh formers. All seemed to be in order, but in honesty, Severus' eyes had not moved past his list of first years.

It was his first day back since Lucy's attack. As reluctant as he was to return without Lucy being fully recovered, he had no choice in the matter. His leave was spent and he had a family to support. Esther had returned home two weeks previous as her leave had also been spent. His colleagues had sacrificed their time and talents over these past few months in order for Severus to care for his fiancé. Severus wasn't about to exploit their generosity any further. Now that Lucy was capable of walking again, albeit with aid, it was time for him to resume his responsibilities to his students and colleagues. At least Lucy had reached the point in her physical rehabilitation that she was now capable of walking with an aide of a cane.

Severus had arranged for her subsequent therapies to be scheduled on Tuesday and Thursday afternoons when he could take time off during his extended lunch periods on those days, and again on Saturdays. He refused to let her go through the harrowing exercises alone. Severus had moved his family back to Hogwarts so he could be closer to her in case of an emergency. Lucy intended to resume her work on the Slytherin manuscript, but for various reasons, Severus doubted her heart would be in it. Aberforth, Lupin, and Black had also offered to stop by their quarters and keep Lucy from going stir-crazy. Severus hoped their combined efforts would be enough.

What was vexing Severus at the moment was not so much Lucy's physical condition as her mental one. As much as he needed to begin work again, he still wondered if he were doing the right thing. Lucy still remembered nothing of her attack or of losing Felicity. She had not cried since the night of her awakening and that worried Severus to no end. She refused to even speak of it. And her new behaviour when it came to Harry gave Severus cause to worry.

It was obvious to Severus that Lucy had not yet come to terms with the loss of their child. He could only pray that when she did, he would be home to help her. He had grieved over the loss of Felicity with Harry and his family and friends...but Severus still felt the need to grieve with Lucy. He berated himself for selfishly feeling that Lucy was denying him his need to move beyond.

"Severus?"

Once again, the Charm's Master's squeaky voice cut through Severus' musings. "Oh...I do apologise, Filius," Severus said languidly as he cast a warming spell over is now cold morning coffee. "What were you saying about the progress of my fourth years?"

Filius' grey eyes remained fixed on Severus as the younger man drank his coffee. "I was saying that they appear to be ready to begin work on the Mandrake Draught, but I was not willing to put that responsibility of teaching it in the hands of a student...even one as talented as Ms Alderton. But I do believe your worries are not set on the proper procedure of handling mandrakes in a potion's lab, am I correct?"

Severus laid his coffee cup down with a hard thud. Thankfully he had already drained the bitter brew or it would have sloshed all over his Himalayan sized mountain of paper work. Severus first inclination was to tell his diminutive colleague to mind his own damn business. As much as he respected his one-time professor and now peer, he had no desire to speak of personal matters with him, so Severus opted to ignore his question all together.

"No doubt she hasn't been herself as of late. Considering what she has been through, it is of no surprise. From what you and Albus have told me and the rest of the staff, Lucy seems to be doing remarkably well under the circumstances."

"Perhaps too well," Severus mused aloud. He was horrified with himself that he had fallen into Filius' trap. He immediately changed the subject. "I'm sorry. My personal problems are of no consequence. Now back to the fourth ye..."

"Severus, you have nothing to apologise for. I have been in your position and understand exactly what you are going through."

Severus' eyes gazed up from the parchment he had once again feigned to read. He could not keep the words from coming of their own volition. "I was not aware that you lost a child, Filius." It was common knowledge that Filius Flitwick had enough children to start his own football club, but from what Severus understood, all if the little wizard's massive brood was still healthy and hale.

"Nor would you, as it was well before your time...1914, to be exact."

Severus face was drawn in horror when he heard the date. He could see it in Filius' eyes. "Castilian Sortilege Influenza," Severus said gravely as Filius nodded his assent.

The affliction had burned a path across Europe and Northern Africa, and then crossed the Pond over to the U. S. and Canada completely decimating some small wizarding communities the world over beginning around the time of the First World War. A cure was not devised until 1916. The curing potion was the creation of an American Wizard. It was later discovered, however, much to the horrific shock of some and the perverse pleasure of others, that the disease was not eradicated, but rather, it mutated to affect only Muggles. Amongst Muggles, it gained infamy Spanish Influenza. The irony was not lost on the wizarding world that the Muggles had unintentionally named the scourge after the very country the original strain had reared its ugly head. The Muggle strain had begun in the United States with the 'cure.'

"Fiona had contracted it when she was seven months pregnant with our first son," Filius continued sadly. "He was born seven weeks early, as well as having contracted the flu from Fiona...He survived for two hours. Fiona eventually recovered from the sickness...it took much longer for her to recover from her feelings of guilt over what had happened."

Despite the near seventy-plus years that had passed since the loss of his first born, Severus could still see raw pain shadowed behind Filius' eyes. Severus had to close his own eyes to shelter himself from Filius' grief and draw back his own tears. Apparently...time did not heal all wounds. Doing a poor job in steadying his voice, Severus quietly asked, "I don't understand. Why would your wife blame herself? No one knew how to prevent the illness in those early years."

"The pain of survivors guilt it practically unbearable when it is your own child who dies. It is hard enough for us fathers, but when tragedy strikes when the child is still in the womb...I must admit...I don't know how Fiona did not die from a broken heart."

A cold chill ran up Severus' spine with the memory from all those months ago. Lucy had come to him, uncertain if she should even tell Musgrave of her pregnancy. 'Trust your instincts...whilst you are carrying the child...you are ultimately responsible for its safety.' He had said those very words to Lucy and encouraged her to compromise with her former lover. In the end, Musgrave had his way. The guilt should be Severus' burden to bear —not Lucy's. But no…that wasn't right either. The person who bore the sole guilt over Felicity's death was now gone. He had become nothing more than arachnid excrement long ago.

What worried Severus, was Lucy's apparent apathy. Though he found it dismaying, Severus could understand why she refused to speak of what happened but her lack of tears, her apprehension, and her unpredictable moods…that he found disturbing.

Severus couldn't bring himself to ask the question that was perched on his dry lips. Instead, he focused question on Filius' wife. "Did…did she require a Mind Healer?"

"No," Filius said with a sad knowledge. "We managed to work through it together. It just took some time and a great deal of patience. Severus, people deal with grief differently. Do not be surprised that when the shock of your girl's death finally hits Lucy…well, let's just say things can get pretty bad. Just be there for her, because it is then that she will need you more than ever."

Severus felt as if he had swallowed his Adam's apple. His own feelings of guilt were almost overwhelming and he felt rather small in front of Filius, because frankly, Severus thought he wasn't being helpful to Lucy at all. In fact he felt just the opposite especially after the other night. He and Lucy had their first fight in months. This time it had been over Harry and Severus could kick himself for the decision he had made. He had done what he had thought best for Lucy and Harry, but now, he questioned his own wisdom.

The argument had begun when Severus mentioned that Harry would be returning to the Weasley's later in the week.

"Why are you taking Harry from me? Were you even going to discuss this with me before you sent him away?"

The accusation had broadsided Severus. "Lucy, no one is taking Harry away from you, and I'm discussing this with you now. You know going to the Burrow is more than a play date for Harry. Molly is also his teacher and it's time he returned to formal lessons."

Lucy's chest was heaving and her turquoise eyes bore into him. "I'm a teacher, Severus. I can teach our son!"

"I'm quite aware of that, Lucy," Severus tried to sound magnanimous, but he knew he was going to fail miserably. "But you are still undergoing therapy. You still tire easily. Do you honestly think you can take care of a six-year old boy?"

Severus knew immediately that he had said the wrong thing. "Are you suggesting I am incapable of caring for my own son, Severus?" He had to step back and rethink his approach. At least that was the excuse he gave himself. The cold glare Lucy was giving him at the moment literally ran a chill up his spine. Though she was still recovering physically from her month long coma, there was nothing wrong with her magic and he could feel it roll off her in waves.

"Lucy, I'm not saying that at all," Severus said carefully. "But you yourself said Harry was at the age he needed to make friends and explore his independence."

Lucy's jaw opened as if she were to refute Severus' argument, but the raw magic she was emitting had ceased as quickly as it began. Lucy abruptly closed her jaw tight, and then her face dropped as she nodded in an admission of defeat.


Lucy said little else to Severus that night. When they retired to bed that evening, however, she had apparently forgiven him, though she was still melancholy. Lucy settled her body close to his. She kept her back to him and said nothing, yet she drew his arm around her and clutched to him as if he were her very lifeline.

 

Now that he thought about it. Lucy had been especially clinging lately, in particular when it came to Harry. Lucy had scarcely let the child out of her sight. The first thing she did every morning upon wakening was enter Harry's room and sit beside his bed —watching and waiting for the boy to wake up. She tucked Harry into bed every night and read to him until he fell asleep. On more than one occasion, Severus had to carry Lucy into their own bed after she had fallen asleep in the rocking chair she had placed next to Harry's bed. On the nights Lucy didn't fall asleep and Severus had coaxed her into coming to bed, Lucy placed enough wards around Harry's room to rival Gringott's.

Harry was always happy to spend his days with his mummy and Lucy taught him his reading, writing and maths. If Harry ever left the same room she was in, Lucy would make her excuses and follow him into the next room. Her behaviour ranged from doting to dotty and her eyes never left Harry.

Originally, during Lucy's difficult physical therapy, Severus was reluctant to allow Harry to stay in the same room. But Harry and Lucy both protested and against his better judgement Severus agreed to allow Harry to stay for one. Harry encouraged Lucy and when Severus noticed the boy faced Lucy's treatments bravely and Lucy responded positively to the child's presence, Severus continued to allow Harry to attend Lucy's therapy sessions.

In all honesty, Severus was beginning to find this new behaviour of Lucy's worrying…bordering on disturbing. But it had occurred to him that Lucy was being overprotective. She had lost one child and she would not lose another. Lucy was like a she-dragon protecting her surviving fledgling.

And she was afraid…no…filled with terror.

The day she discovered her pregnancy, Lucy had told Severus that she was afraid —and she was, but it was nothing like this. That was simply uncertainty of what the future would hold. It was a fear that every man and woman faced at some point in their life and Lucy had faced it head on. But this…this new fear…It was if Lucy had become afraid of some imagined Muggle bogey-man and that bogey-man was out for Harry. Lucy was fully aware of the fact, if not the details, that Musgrave was dead. She knew that the bastard no longer posed a threat to Harry or herself, yet she was more afraid now of shadows than she ever was of Musgrave.

Severus was at a loss for what to do. He had to return to work. But Lucy's new obsessing over Harry wasn't healthy, for her or for Harry. And if Lucy ever lashed out over an imagined threat to their son…well…it wouldn't be healthy for the person on the receiving end of that curse either.

Harry needed to return to a normal routine and if Lucy were in her rational mind Severus knew she would agree with him on that point. But Lucy wasn't in her rational mind and Severus prayed he had done the right thing.

***6 March, 1987***

The silence was deafening. Lucy sat rocking in the chair in Harry's room stroking her bunny's…Harry's bunny's silken, silver-grey fur surrounding herself with the sights and smells…anything that could remind her of the boy. She had already fallen asleep once since Pawpaw and Alf left after lunch.

Lucy had never felt so alone. She knew she shouldn't. She hardly lived alone, yet even when she did, Lucy never felt so empty and lost as she did right now. Logically, Lucy knew Severus was right. It was time for Harry to resume his formal studies. But damn it…she was more than capable of teaching their son. Yes, Kenneth was no longer a threat, but what of other threats?

At the random thought of Kenneth, Lucy's hands tightened around Thor, and the bunny hopped to the floor in protest. Afraid that thoughts of her ex would send her mind down a path she was not ready to tread, she pushed him to the back of her head and refocused on matters she could face —Death Eaters.

One more than one occasion, Severus had told her that there were still Death Eaters at large. As warded as the Burrow was, it wasn't impenetrable. Just look what happened with that Pettigrew jerk. Molly had her hands full with her own five children at home, she couldn't possibly watch Harry all the time. Lucy was in a much more enviable position to watch over Harry. It wasn't fair and at times like this, when all she had was her over-active imagination and a rabbit for company, she could not help but resent Severus. She was accustomed to having the child with her all the time, now she just felt lost.

Not long before her company arrived, Lucy placed a fire call to Molly, just to insure herself that Harry was indeed doing well. Considering that she normally would have made three fire calls by this time, Lucy thought she was doing much better. Severus would be quite proud of her…if he had known, that is. Molly had taken sympathy with Lucy and her situation, so she kept Lucy's mid-day calls to Harry to herself.

Lucy was well aware she was acting paranoid, but for the life of her, she did not know how to stop. Two nights ago, after they had put Harry to sleep, Severus asked if she wanted to speak to a Mind Healer. At first, she had been appalled that Severus would even consider asking such a question. For some reason, she had felt betrayed. But as always, Severus' logic was flawless and his arguments well defended, and Lucy was in no state of mind to refute him. She promised him she would think about it.

As much as her desire to check in on Harry nearly set her body on fire, she refrained from doing so. She was going to prove to herself that she had nothing to be afraid of by Harry returning to Molly's. She was going to get through this. Severus was afraid she was developing a co-dependent relationship to a six-year old child and frankly, so was Lucy. Lucy was the parent and it wasn't fair to Harry. But Lucy was afraid to let go and even more afraid that she didn't know why.

She sighed heavily and reached over for her cane that was propped against Harry's nightstand. Putting her weight in the cane she shakily arose from the chair and paused to look for a moment. Being raised by Severus obviously was reflected in the boy's room. Stuffed animals and books were neatly in place on their shelves, but peaking from under Harry's bed was a filthy pair of jeans.

Lucy took out her wand and the offensive clothing flew out from under the bed and into her hands. They reeked of garden soil and little boy sweat. She had come to love that smell. Harry and the Weasley children had been outside chasing garden gnomes again. Devon must be looking at an early spring this year. It had been so long since Lucy had been outside, she had not even been aware that the seasons were changing again. Reluctantly, Lucy banished her boy's jeans to the House Elves for cleaning. She was sorely tempted to keep them, then thought better of it. Severus wouldn't understand, but then again, neither did Lucy.

She supposed it was time to start on her research again, but her heart was lost to it. Her heart seemed to be lost to so many things lately. Slowly, Lucy walked to the door. She turned once more to look at Harry's room. She wiped away a stray tear with the back of her hand and berated herself for her over sentimentality. Harry would be home in a couple hours. It wasn't as if he were gone forever like….

Lucy almost did it again. She slammed the treacherous thought to the back of her mind and slammed the bedroom door just as hard and tightly. She couldn't stand to think about that. She wouldn't think about it. Lucy could barely survive the afternoon thinking about Harry being a Floo away. How would she ever survive if she thought about her.

***9:36 p.m.***

"When the grounds were deserted once more, there wriggled from a whole between the roots of the tree stump a stout and whiskery old rabbit with a wand clamped between her teeth. Babbity hopped out of the grounds and far away, and ever after a golden statue of a washerwoman stood upon the tree stump, and no witch or wizard was ever persecuted in the kingdom again." Lucy carefully closed the gilded story book that had been a gift from Harry's godfather. Harry sat up in bed listening carefully to the story along with Thor. He never looked so dear.

She sat on the edge of the bed with Severus next to her. "Let me see your rabbit, Harry," Severus said gently as he arose. "It's time for sleep."

As Severus leaned over and kissed Harry on the fore head the boy handed him his bunny. "Can't I have just one more story, Daddy?" Harry pleaded. "The Three Brothers?"

Lucy watched as Severus gracefully put the animal in its cage. "Harry, it's time for bed and your godfather will be here early in the morning. Besides, you already know the story by heart."

Lucy's heart raced. Apparently, while she was in her coma, Severus and Sirius had come to an arrangement that Black could take Harry one weekend day every month. The day had been planned since before Lucy awoke. She had several weeks to prepare for the day, but she wasn't ready. True, she had physical therapy tomorrow, but that had never been reason to send Harry away. But what did it matter? No matter what Severus told her to the contrary, she wasn't Harry's mother yet. It was of little difference what Lucy thought. The last word would lie with Severus.

She had to keep from giggling at the look on Harry's face. "Well, I know them all by heart." Though Severus had his back to Harry, Lucy knew he could practically hear Harry's eyes roll to the back of his head.

"Harry, cheek will not convince me, otherwise." Severus' silken voice lost its sternness in the edge of humour that crept in. Only she and Harry knew Severus well enough to recognise it.

"Please, Daddy."

Lucy parroted their son. "Yes, please, Daddy?" She had spent so little time with Harry this week. She felt cheated. Lately, she always felt cheated.

Severus feigned a long suffering sigh. "Well, I don't suppose I can fight you both off, now can I?"

Lucy smiled despite herself. The muscle movement felt strange, yet familiar. It was a small victory, but a victory nonetheless.

It felt good when Severus sat down next to her again and put his arm around her as opened the book once again and read to their son.


Harry had finally fallen asleep. Severus had stayed with her as Lucy rocked quietly in her chair, watching over Harry and patently waiting for him to enter the Land of Nod. Severus kept his hand around her waist as he quietly closed the door behind them. Lucy reached for her wand to cast her additional wards, when Severus gently lowered her hand and said softly. "Lucy, he will be fine. I promise you."

Lucy nodded spiritlessly and Severus whispered in her ear, "Come, darling…we have a long day tomorrow."

Lucy's hips were still very stiff, and she leaned on Severus as they began to cross the hall. Halfway between Harry's room and theirs, Lucy stopped. "I know it's getting late, but I think I'd like to shower tonight instead of in the morning."

"Would you rather try a bath? You're strong enough to sit up on your own. It might help your joints. I can help you if you like."

"That sounds marvellous," Lucy admitted.

Severus led her into the bathroom and conjured a chair for her to sit in as he drew the hot bath water. She could smell the fragrance miltonia orchids waft through the air as he added her favourite bubble bath. It had been a Valentine's Day gift from Severus.

Lucy removed her outer robes easily enough, but her hips wouldn't cooperate as she tried to wiggle out of her skirt. "Damn it," she exclaimed under her breath in frustration.

"Here, let me help," Severus said right after he finished casting a warming charm on her bath water.

He knelt down on the floor directly in front of her. Lucy leaned over and wrapped her arms around Severus' neck for support and he lifted up her bum just enough to pull her skirts and panties below her hips.

"I hate this," Lucy muttered.

"I thought you enjoyed it when I undressed you," Severus said good humouredly as he easily lifted a naked Lucy out of the chair and carried her to the claw-foot tub.

Lucy didn't know how to respond. It was more probable than not that Severus was only initiating innocent banter, but so often in the past that innocent banter led straight to the bed. Not that Lucy ever complained or wanted it to change, but in her current condition she didn't exactly feel sexy.

Severus did not seem offended at her lack of response and tenderly placed her in the tub. Lucy let her body relax as the warm water engulfed her weary bones. She hadn't even realised how tired she had been.

Severus thoughtfully put her loofa, soap, and shampoo within reach on the tall, round, tri-legged table next to the tub. He leaned over and kissed her lightly on her closed eyelid. "I'll get your pyjamas and bath robe." He kept the bathroom door cracked as he left Lucy to soak alone.

The water was deliciously warm and the steamy air was subtly floral. Lucy leaned back her head and lazily rested her arms over the sides of the porcelain tub. She could kiss Severus for this suggestion. Lucy couldn't remember the last time she had felt so wholly relaxed. Severus certainly knew how to cast a spell on a woman. She could lie like this until she pickled.

The water was deep and relating on her sore joints. Lucy gingerly began to lift her leg against its gentle resistance. It had never occurred to her that a hot bath could perfectly supplement her rigorous physical therapies. Her right leg broke the surface of the water and she gasped in horror. Good Lord! When was the last time she shaved her legs! He legs were as harry as a yeti's! She would have to do something about that tonight.

Her fur-covered legs notwithstanding, Lucy took began to take a particular fascination in her toes. She had nice toes. It had been ever so long since she had actually seen them. She supposed that now her figure had returned, she could actually notice her body again. When she was pregnant she hadn't b…

No! Oh, No!

Lucy's gasped loudly as her heart clinched. This wasn't right! She shouldn't even be in a bathtub, much less enjoying a hot bath! She should be fat! Fat and pregnant…and her she was enjoying the fact that her tummy was flat again. She was horrible! A horrible excuse for a human being who didn't deserve to be a mother!

She had to failed protect Felicity. How could she ever expect she could protect Harry?

Here she was enjoying a hot bath when her baby was dea…

Lucy's face began to burn as she desperately tried to choke back her pent up tears. Over the past few weeks she had refused to speak of Felicity. Lucy hadn't even given herself permission to think about her baby. Her poor girl! Her poor girl died and Lucy had refused to even remember her!

Lucy drew up her knees, in spite of her aching hips. She was powerless to stop the stinging tears as they won the struggle for escape. Lucy felt he insides tighten. She lurched her upper torso over the far side of the tub and violently sicked up.

After empting her insides on the bathroom floor, Lucy slowly sank back into the now tepid water and curled herself into a foetal position. Memories flashed across her mind like a myriad of gothic nightmares and her soft feeble whimpers gave way to sharp desperate sobs.

She hugged herself protectively around her abdomen, but it no longer mattered. It was too late. Felicity was gone, her womb was empty and there was nothing for Lucy to protect.


Severus decided to make a fire call whilst Lucy bathed.

"Black, I appreciate your understanding on this."

"Not to worry, Snape," Black answered through the emerald flames. "She's been through a lot."

Severus still felt he had to explain himself to Harry's godfather. Severus hated the idea of going back on a promise. Even to Black. "She was already upset about Harry returning to the Weasley's this week and I never really discussed our arrangement with her. When we were tucking Harry in, I could see that it upset her. I'm simply not accustomed to involving someone else in my decisions when it comes to Harry."

Black waved off Severus' explanation "Nah…you're right. You're not a single parent anymore. She's Harry's mum now. She should have a say. Oh…Snape," Black said as if remembering something. "Abe and I are planning a surprise party for Remus next week. Do you think…Hey…what's that?"

Severus attention was immediately drawn to the sound drifting down the hall. He knew what it was. He hadn't realised she had reached that point yet.

Severus said urgently to Black "I have to go." He saw the flash of understanding cross Black's face before he abruptly cut the connection.

Severus rushed down the hall to the bathroom. His panic rose when he heard Lucy's high pitched keening. Severus had never heard such cries come from her. Not even that first night.

He threw open the door. The first thing that accosted his sense was the rancid smell of vomit. His first thought was that Lucy was sick, but there was no illnesses going around the school, and his instinct ruled sickness out. Severus knew exactly what was wrong with Lucy. He had become equally overwhelmed when Lily was killed.

For a moment, he could only stop and stare. The sight before him broke his heart too much for him to move.

Lucy was still in her bath. Her face was plastered against the side of the tub. She laid on her side, doubled over in the water. She was too far gone in her emotional nightmare to even realise Severus was there.

He rushed to her and knelt on the cold tiled floor. He put his palm gently on her forehead. "Lucy?" he asked tentatively. "Darling, I'm here."

Lucy didn't answer or seem to give any indication that she had heard him. Thus, he was startled when she suddenly flung her arms around his neck, splashing water across his chest soaking through his linen shirt. Severus was taken aback by her strength. She nearly pulled her into the tub along with her.

Severus didn't even bother to roll up his cuffs as he reached into the water and lifted Lucy out. She continued to cry uncontrollably as Severus settled himself on the bathroom floor and cradled her trembling naked body to him. He pressed his cheek to her wet hair and kissed her on the head.

"It's alright, Lucy…cry."

As heart wrenching as her tears were, Severus was somewhat relieved. Lucy had finally accepted Felicity's loss. Now she had some hope.

***21 March, 1987***

The past weeks had been difficult. Lucy would find herself crying at the most inopportune times, but the times had become less and less frequent as the days passed. Severus and Harry had been her foundation.

Gradually, she was beginning to accept that the blame for Felicity's death did not rest on her shoulders. It was Kenneth. In the end it was Kenneth.

Harry was still going to the Burrow during the week and Lucy found that easier to accept too. Harry came home to her and Severus every evening. Lucy had to admit, he did well under Molly's tutelage. Harry was excited to tell his parents everything he had learned and the games he had played. Their son would be more than ready for Hogwarts when it came his time to be sorted.

Lucy still had to undergo therapy, both physical and emotional, but she was healing. Chances were she would be healed before the end of term. With any luck, she would be able to resume her classes by mid-April. She would be there to see her students through their final exams.

Meanwhile, she decided to resume her research work in earnest. Her journals were in her office at Hogwarts and she needed to review them before tackling the original Slytherin manuscript once again.

Today was a Hogsmeade weekend and the first warm day of spring to boot. Quidditch wouldn't resume for two more weeks, thus the majority of older students were visiting the village today. Today, the Snape family would indulge in a picnic by the lake, but first Lucy would retrieve her journal. Harry and Severus were bringing their brooms along and she would enjoy the quiet time reading under the tree while father and son took to the air.

Severus had the brooms shrunken and tucked away in a pocket while the picnic basket floated along behind them. Lucy still depended on a cane and this was the farthest she had walked since the incident. Between her need to stop and rest and being stopped by excited students expressing their relief that she was getting better, it was a slow trip from dungeons to her classroom.

When they finally reached her classroom, Lucy became more apprehensive. Her apprehension had eased at the sight of a friendly face.

"Lucy child, how wonderful it is to see you again."

Professor Binns floated through the front desk and up the aisle to greet her.

Lucy greeted the spirit warmly. "It's wonderful to see you again too, Cuthbert."

"Ah…young Harry," Cuthbert said kindly. "Is that a picnic basket I see behind your father?"

"Uh huh," Harry said then remembered himself as he looked up at Severus' raised eyebrow. "Uhh…I mean, yes sir," he added quickly. "Daddy and I are going flying today."

Lucy had to smile as she saw the corner of Severus' mouth quirk up in what passed for a smile with her fiancé.

"It is a beautiful day for flying," Cuthbert said in agreement with the boy.

"Cuthbert, I need to get a journal from my office. Do you mind?"

"Lucy, it is your office and your classroom. You're free to come and go as you wish."

"Mummy, can I look at your globe?"

Severus answered Harry's question when he said, "Harry, you won't have time. We will only be a couple of minutes. Just stay here with Professor Binns. Mum and I will be right back."

Harry looked a little put out but he did as he was told, else he knew that Severus wouldn't take him flying later that afternoon.

"Lucy…Severus…I just wanted to say I'm sorry for…"

"No, Cuthbert…it's not your fault. You couldn't have known. None of us could," Lucy said to the contrite ghost.

Cuthbert Binns nodded his head, but still looked as though he believed he could have prevented the tragedy. Honestly, there was nothing he could have done. Once Lucy's door had closed, the ghost and former teacher would have been denied access to the office without being invited from within.

Lucy and Severus made their way through the classroom and to her office. Lucy was grateful to Severus. She could feel her anxiety rising in her chest as the door to her office loomed ominously before her. Severus had offered to retrieve her journal himself, but it was locked in her desk and it would only open to her magical signature.

Lucy leaned on Severus harder than she needed to by the time they approached her office door.

Severus leaned over and whispered softly into her ear, "Are you okay? We can do this another day if you aren't ready."

Lucy pushed away her rising fear and said determinedly, "I can do this."

Severus kept one arm around her waist as he reached out with his free hand and slowly opened the door.

Lucy hadn't realised that she had closed her eyes, but a simple change in the air told that her office was open.

She knew Severus was waiting for her to make the first move. Why was she so scared? It was only a room. It was filled with her things and there was nothing inside that could harm her. Lucy exhaled sharply and opened her eyes.

Her office looked exactly how she remembered it. Not a book or parchment out of place. Upon first glance, the only thing that seemed to be missing was the porcelain box Kenneth had given her. All things considered, she could care less that the box was gone. She wanted nothing of his. But she did have an uneasy feeling that there was significance to the missing box.

"Let's get this over with," Lucy finally said. She went directly to her desk as fast as her injured hip would allow and looked neither right nor left, but kept to the task at hand. She wanted to look away, but couldn't.

Her memory of the attack had opened up like the gates of Boulder Dam. Memories of her violent near-rape began to flood her vision. She could see herself pinned by Kenneth. Her skirts lifted and her body exposed…Kenneth molesting her with his filthy hands.

Once she rounded her desk, she quickly and purposely waved her hand in front of the correct drawer. She snatched her journal and slammed the drawer shut. Lucy moved surprisingly quickly for being lame. Severus stepped towards her and offered his hand so he could escort her out of her office. She never wanted to see the room again.

At that very thought, Lucy stopped abruptly. He was doing it to her. He was winning. From beyond the grave, Kenneth was still ruining her life.

Lucy's chest began to heave as her fear turned to anger. Kenneth's intention had been to keep her from her new family. If she continued on the path she was taking, he would succeed. He had already taken her daughter and her sense of security. Lucy refused to let him take the rest of her family. Kenneth would never take anything from her again. This time she would do the taking. She was taking her life back.

Lucy turned towards her precious Resolute replica. She had paid over $10,000 for that single piece of furniture. Once upon a time, it had been the symbol of her success, the start of a life of her own. Now when she looked at it, all she could see was her vulnerability and helplessness.

As she stood, frozen by the memory of the attack, she could clearly see Kenneth removing his trousers, getting ready to violate her. Lucy knew what would happen in the following moments. She wouldn't let it happen again.

"Lucy?"

She heard Severus call apprehensively to her, but she could not respond. Her hand shook as she felt it tighten around the handle of her wand. Several things happened at once as she swiftly drew her wand and shouted, "Reducto!"

At the same time she shouted her curse, and her desk exploded into millions of tiny splinters, Severus shouted, "Protego!" and pulled Lucy down, shielding her with his own body.

After the first initial violent explosion, the remains of her desk fell harmlessly around them like a strange snow.

Once it seemed all was safe, they cautiously stood up from their protective positions and surveyed the carnage. Together they stood stunned at what Lucy had done. When Severus whistled and exclaimed under his breath, "Shite," Lucy couldn't help but chuckle.

"Lucy? Are you okay, sweetheart?"

"Severus, for the first time in as long as I can remember, I can honestly say yes."

Though Severus may not have known why she had destroyed the desk, he seemed to understand that it was something she needed to do.

"Wow! What happened in here?"

Lucy and Severus both turned to see Harry and Cuthbert standing in the office doorway.

"Lucy, Severus…are you two alright?" If it were possible for the blood to drain out of a ghost's face, it had done so with Cuthbert.

"Oh, we're fine," Severus said, his voice laced with a mix of nervousness and humour. "Lucy's desk exploded, that's all."

The ghost looked understandably confused while Harry exclaimed in awe, "Whoa…cool." Ah….yes…as if it were a common occurrence for desks to explode of their own volition every day and Harry's mum and dad were lucky enough to see happen for real.

"Why don't you go enjoy your picnic? I'll summon a house elf to clean up here," Cuthbert offered.

"That won't be necessary," Lucy said airily, and with another wave of her wand she vanished the remnants of the desk, and by extension, Kenneth himself. Much to Severus' credit, he did not duck this time when Lucy brandished her wand.

Lucy, Severus, and Harry said their good day's to Cuthbert and headed outside.

Once they reached the open castle doors, with Severus' and Lucy's permission Harry ran ahead. Lucy looked up to the sky and smiled when a warm breeze kissed her cool cheek. Severus linked his arm to her and gave her one of his rare open smiles. "It is good to see you happy again."

"I do feel happy, Severus." Lucy said wistfully. She knew that she would still have her bad days and that in the foreseeable future, the bad days would outnumber the good. But today was a good day. She had been assaulted by the memory of her attack, she fought back and won.

It was a good day.

The End.
End Notes:
Sorry for the delay, folks. It's been a really crazy month.

We're approaching the home stretch, peeps. It's hard to believe! Yes...there will be a wedding!

The exerpt of Harry's betime story came directly out of "Babbity Rabbity and the Cackling Stump" from The Tales of Beedle the Bard, by J. K. Rowling.

Thanks agian to my beta Tambrathegreat. Hope you feel better soon.

TTFN
~Missyann
Marry Me by missyanne

  

***17 April, 1987***

It was a picture perfect spring evening as Severus strolled his way down to Hogsmeade Village. The snowy winter nights had given way to rainy spring days. However, on this day, the rains had stopped and Severus could hear the song of the Crossbill's as he passed the hedgerows that bordered the few cottages that dotted the main road to the village. The high clouds were bright crimson limned in silver against a sapphire-blue sky that would soon give way to indigo. Yes, it was beautiful evening, and Severus was actually in the mood to enjoy it. It scarcely occurred to him anymore that only three short years ago, he would have never allowed himself to indulge his sensibilities in such a manner. That time seemed far away... a different lifetime ago. Indeed, it was. How close he had come to condemning himself to a life of lonely and bitter solitude?

The day was beautiful because life was finally good again. Lucy was healing faster than expected, and to Severus' delight in more ways than one. The old Lucy had finally returned. The melancholy that hung about her like a cold mist had been lifted. Ever since that afternoon her memory returned and she destroyed her precious Resolute replica, she began a slow turn around. No longer was she maniacally overprotective of Harry. She finally managed to leave their quarters of her own accord, taking the initiative to work on her research or taking time to visit the Slytherin common room and help organize study sessions. Severus' panicked O.W.L. and N.E.W.T. students had especially come to appreciate her presence. But despite these changes, there always seemed to be a dark cloud that lingered over her head…until April 7th…Felicity's due date.

Severus had dreaded the coming of that day. He had no inkling as to how it would affect Lucy. She had stunned him when the night before, she declared that she would visit Felicity's grave alone. Severus couldn't keep his mind on his lessons that day. More than one first year cauldron turned into a molten mess. Lucy would never discuss what happened that day, but Severus' fears were unfounded. When Lucy left that day for the graveyard, a part of her was missing, when she returned, all of her had returned. Severus could see in her eyes contentment that only came with closure.

This evening, when Severus returned to his quarters after lessons had ended, he found a note from Lucy on the kitchen table. She had picked Harry up from the Weasley's but had been called to the Hog's Head by her grandfather. She assured Severus that nothing was amiss and that Aberforth insisted on serving supper in his private quarters later that night.

Severus entered the run-down pub. Even on a Friday evening, it still failed to draw much of a crowd. He had to stop a moment and take in the scene. Aberforth's new red-headed barmaid, Bonnie, was serving drinks to a trio of rather rough looking wizards in the far corner. She looked as though she was only a year or two out of Hogwarts, but Severus was certain she had been home-schooled. He would have remembered that fiery mane. Hagrid was in his usual Friday night spot at the end of the bar, accompanied by his gangly boar hound, which had not quite grown into his long, spindly legs. There were perhaps another half- dozen faceless patrons scatted about the pub. Lucy, Harry, and Aberforth were nowhere to be seen.

Severus noticed only a shadow of movement behind the bar, as Hagrid's hulking wall of a body was blocking his view. At first, Snape had assumed the barkeep to be Remus, until the wizard stepped into view.

"Black?" Severus asked evenly, hiding his surprise.

"Hi, Snape," Black said jovially. Apparently he had joined Hagrid in a couple of pints.

"I wasn't aware you had need of work. Where's Remus?" He asked as his eyes casually scanned the room. "For that matter, where is my family?"

"Of course I don't need the work," Sirius said with an indignant huff. "Remus is in London, rehearsing for his performance next week. Abe needed an extra pair of hands tonight so I thought I'd help out. He's out in the barn with Lucy and Harry, kidding,"

Severus simply blinked at the Gryffindor and said flatly, "Honestly, Black, if you don't know where they are, just say so. There's no need to jest."

Black just stared blankly at Severus in mild confusion for a split second until Hagrid's booming laughter began to bounce of the walls of the pub. The half-giant slapped down his massive hand on the bar, causing his flagon of ale to jump and spill half of its contents over the stained wood of the bar. Hagrid's outburst caught the attention of the rest of the patrons who began to laugh without knowing why, in spite of themselves. "Tha's funny, Pr'fessor!" he cried through his mirthful tears.

Black looked about the pub, unsure of what had just happened. "What? What did I miss?"

Severus tutted and said in mock lament, "Ah, Gryffindors. So keen to toss out the Hippogriff dung, yet so quick to step into another's."

Sirius' eyes grew in disbelief. "Did you just make a joke?" Then the still very confused Black turned to the still chuckling Hagrid for confirmation. "Did he just make a joke?"

"Not a very good one," the gamekeeper admitted happily. "But you should see the look on yer face."

Still looking as if his conception of reality had just come crashing down around him. He leaned over the bar towards Severus and asked again in a voice that had to be at least an octave higher than what he was accustomed to speaking, "Did you really just tell a joke?"

Severus could feel a smirk form its way in the corner of his mouth. He reached over the bar gave Sirius a single pat on the shoulder in sympathy and grasping it for a brief second. "Don't think on it too long, Black. You're liable to hurt something."

Severus let go of the still dazed Gryffindor and strode to the back door that led out to Aberforth's barn. He could still feel Black's mystified gaze on him and Severus smiled to himself thinking how still terribly easy and satisfying it was to get the better of Sirius Black.


Severus slowly slid open the barn door and walked into the grooming alley strewn with old hay. It was a small barn with a run-in on the left and two small stalls on the right. It smelled of hay, both fresh and moulding, oats, dung and blood. He could hear a soft feminine voice chanting Latin floating from the far stall. As he walked past the first stall he noticed two very pregnant does tranquilly chewing on their evening fodder, unconcerned over the drama playing out in the stall next door.

Though it was spring, the evening air still had a bit of a chill and Severus drew his cloak around him to keep in the warmth, but the scene laid out before him was enough to warm any man's heart…if he didn't run out of the barn to toss his lunch first, that was.

One of Aberforth's nannies was apparently in distress. Normally, Aberforth preferred to let nature take its course when one of his animals was giving birth, but apparently something had happened that required his intervention.

The distressed mother was lying on her side, her head facing Severus. Aberforth, Lucy and Harry were all sitting upon the barn floor, arrayed around goat. Lucy was at the goat's head, chanting a string of Latin charms intended to calm the animal without stopping the contractions. She had once explained to Severus that Aberforth had taught her the incantation when she only twelve. That had been the first time she had helped her great-grandfather kidding. Harry was positioned between Lucy and Aberforth, his eyes wide with rapt fascination, awe and curiosity. He was holding a clean towel, ready to hand it to Aberforth at the old wizard's request. Aberforth was at the end of she-goat, his hand wrist deep where Severus was certain no woman or goat ever wanted a hand inserted.

Harry was the first to notice Severus' presence and put a shushing finger to his lips. "Come sit next to me, Daddy," he whispered as he patted the ground next to him. "We're helping Pawpaw. Minnie's going to have a baby."

Lucy looked up at Severus and cast a quick smile before returning her attention to the task at hand, all the while continuing her chanting whilst simultaneously working her wand and her free hand to and fro over the nanny goat's head. To this day, her smile still made Severus' heart leap and he had to catch his breath. She looked quite pretty sitting on the floor of the barn, with her braids askew and locks of honey-wheat hair in her face.

Severus removed his cloak despite the chill and hung it over the gate of the stall. He gingerly stepped behind Lucy, between her and the barn wall, and made his way beside Harry. Hitching up his trousers, he knelt down next to his young son and joined him on the barn floor.

Aberforth never looked up from is charge, but simply continued to mumbled nonsensical words of encouragement. "That's it, darlin'... Yer almost there."

"Minnie's baby was coming out the wrong way," Harry explained in a hush voice. "The baby's feet were like this," Harry held up the palms of his hands as if he were cupping them to catch water, "instead of like this," he then turned his small hands over, as if to imitate a rabbit.

So the kid was breach. Severus inwardly wondered if there was a less invasive way to help with the birthing process, but like his brother and his granddaughter, Aberforth answered his unasked question. Severus decided that it was some sort of quasi-annoying Dumbledore trait. "Unfortunately a charm doesn't work in a situation like this. One must be able to feel the head or risk breaking the bairn's neck. Ah! Here we are. Lucy, stop the incantation…Harry, come here, quickly now."

Lucy stopped her chanting and backed away, allowing Aberforth and nature to do the rest. Harry scooted across the straw floor and handed the towel to Aberforth. Aberforth put the towel next to him and said, "Let me see your hands."

Harry complied and Aberforth cast a quick spell to sanitize the boy's hands. The old wizard looked Harry in the eyes and asked seriously, "Are you ready?"

Harry nodded enthusiastically, but his nervousness was evident in his voice when he answered, "Yes, sir."

"Come on then." For the first time, Severus could see the similarity between the Dumbledore brothers as Aberforth's eyes twinkled above his half-rim glasses.

Lucy had made her way next to Severus and slipped her arm around the crux of his elbow. Her face was glowing with excitement as she watched Harry and Aberforth. He could see a single tear in her eye and asked, "Are you all right?"

Lucy nodded and said. "Of course I am. I'm just remembering the first time Pawpaw let me help pull a kid."

Severus felt his heart drop in panic. He had no objection of Harry being a casual observer in the birth, but to physically help…what if he inadvertently did something to harm the kid or the doe? The animal was breathing heavily and steadily. She no longer seemed to be in any real distress.

It was obvious that Aberforth and Lucy had no such fears. Harry was sat on the ground with his legs spread directly behind the doe. He was leaning forward with his small hands around the emerging newborn's legs. Aberforth knelt directly beside the boy, his aged and sure hands over Harry's young and trembling ones.

"Okay Harry," Aberforth said with authority. "When she pushes again, we pull slowly but firmly, understand?"

Harry's eyes were wide with a mix of fear and determination. The boy could only nod his understanding.

Severus held his breath as Aberforth said, "Here we go, Harry…Pull!"

Harry grunted as he began to pull, but Aberforthhad shown he had strengthfor a man of his age that startled Severus. Witha firm yank, he had pulled the kid (with Harry's help, of course) and had quickly stood up, holding the new-born animal upside down to allow the amniotic fluid to drain from its lungs. Severus was astonished at exactly how small the baby goat was. It had to weigh far less than a stone.

"It is tiny, isn't it?" Lucy whispered in his ear.

Severus looked over to his fiancé. He could only shake his head and smirk. He was an Occlumens for Merlin's sake, but he was obviously an open book to her.

Lucy leaned her head on Severus' shoulder and together they watch as Harry experienced his first new life.

Both Harry and Aberforth were shedding tears as the set the new goat next to its mother. The kid took to its mother's teat eagerly as the doe began to clean the rest of the placental gore from her baby. Harry's expression turned from delight to disgust.

"Eww!" Harry exclaimed as he looked up to Aberforth. "Why does she do that?"

"She's just givin' him a bath, Harry," Aberforth patently explained. "It is also how she bonds with her baby."

Harry turned back to the doe and her suckling kid, obviously contemplating what Aberforth had told him. "Do real mummies do that?"

Severus gave an undignified snort and asked, "Excuse me, Harry?"

"I mean people mummies? Do they do that too?"

The three adults broke out in laughter. Poor Lucy was doubled, almost literally beside herself with giggles. Severus wasn't certain who he was laughing at more, Harry or Lucy. Harry just stood there, waiting patiently for an answer and not quite getting what had the grow-ups in such a tither.

Aberforth and Severus were the first to compose themselves and when Lucy finally came up for air she wiped a mirthful tear from her eye and said, "I should certainly hope not." Her composure began to crack once again as she was taken with new fit of the giggles.

Severus held out his arms to his smiling son and Harry ran over to sit in his lap. Lucy had once again come to her senses and managed to sit up again, stroking her hand lovingly through Harry's ever unruly hair. Aberforth had set is attention back on his goats, logging the vital statistics of his newest acquisition in an old leather-bound ledger.

"Did you see what I did?" Harry sang happily as he looked back at the goats. "I helped him to be born."

"You certainly did," Severus agreed. "And your mummy and I couldn't be prouder."


It was late. After several extra-powerful cleansing charms they had sat down for a quiet supper in Aberforth's private rooms. Severus wondered if Aberforth would give Lucy his recipe for Shepard's pie. Lucy was quite accomplished when it came to Southern American cooking, but she had yet to duplicate her grandfather's Shepard's pie.

Though it had long since turned dark, Severus and Lucy had decided to walk back up to the castle with Harry. The boy was still far too excited over the evening's events and they hoped the walk would give the excitable child a chance to burn off his excess energy before bedtime.

Lucy still walked with the help of a cane, but Severus could tell by how steady she had become on her feet, that she would be shedding it soon. The walk to the castle was at a slow pace but the sky was black as onyx and full of silvery stars. One could almost follow the hazy path of the Milky Way back home to Hogwarts. The sky was so different here…much more vast that the skies of Manchester had seen in over two-hundred years. The Industrial Revolution had deprived her of such majesty.

Halfway up the path, Harry had begun to tire some and Severus hoisted small boy atop his shoulders. As pleasant as the walk was, Lucy had been uncharacteristically quiet. The starlight highlighted the contemplative look on her face.

"A Knut for your thoughts," Severus said quietly. He held onto Harry's dangling feet, which were wrapped around his neck with one hand, and he held his other out for Lucy to grab hold.

"Daddy, is that the Plough?" Harry suddenly asked excitedly from over Severus' head.

Severus craned his head up to see where his son was pointing. "Very good, Harry. And what larger constellation is the Plough a part of?"

"Umm…the Great Bear?"

"Well done, Harry," Lucy answered encouragingly. "It has another name too. Do you know what it is?"

"No. What is it?"

Lucy was about to answer when Severus suggested, "Why don't you look it up in your encyclopaedia tomorrow?"

They had approached the gates of the school, and as slight as Harry was, his weight was beginning to bear down on Severus' shoulders. "Harry, you're getting too big, son…ready?"

"Ready, Daddy."

Harry giggled as Severus bent forward and flipped him over the top of his head. It had been quite some time since Severus had carried Harry on his shoulders, but it had been the way he had dismounted the boy since Harry was five. Harry landed on his feet; however, it took a second for him to steady himself. "Whoa…that was fun."

"Harry, why don't you run along up to the castle." Severus felt Lucy hitch at the suggestion, but she said nothing. It was her old fear rearing its head, but there was really nothing to fear here. It was a straight line to the castle door and there was nothing to obstruct Severus' view of Harry. He really wanted Harry to wear himself out before it was time for bed.

Harry looked as though he wanted to stay underfoot, sensing that Severus had something to say to Lucy and not wanting to be left out. But Harry's little-boy energy had to vent itself one last time, so Harry obliged and ran ahead. Severus turned to Lucy, only to realise she was no longer beside him.

He looked about and saw that she had stopped about ten yards back. She was gazing at him with a strange yet contented look on her face.

"Lucy?"

"Marry me, Severus."

If there had been a breeze, it would have blown Severus away. For a moment her could only stand a stare, not certain why Lucy had suddenly asked such a silly question. When he finally found his tongue again, he said, "I was under the impression we had already established that."

Lucy began to walk towards him, leaning on her cane more heavily than she did at the beginning of their walk. "No, Severus," Lucy said with a hint of excitement. "I mean right now. Marry me right now. The light was still on at the Vicar's house. Let's Apparate down right now and knock on the door."

Lucy was standing directly in front of him, gazing up at him. He looked down at her and smiled as he moved a stray hair from in front of her eyes. He looked back down to the village. It was a terribly romantic notion. But rather than articulate his answer Severus pulled Lucy into him and kissed her deeply there beneath the starry night. They were in full view of any Gryffindor or Ravenclaw who happened to be looking out a tower window, but Severus didn't care in the least. Let the school talk. Let the whole world talk…Lucy was his.

They were still in the throes of their kiss when Harry's small voice shouted out from the castle entrance, "Hey…why don't you two get a room!"

Their kiss was broken by their stifled laughs. Severus leaned down and pressed his forehead to Lucy's—still trying to keep from laughing aloud. "I realise he is fond of Bill and Charlie, but we have got to keep him away from the Gryffindor common room."

***19 June, 1987~ Charleston, South Carolina***

Severus and Lucy did not get married that spring night in April. Once they had come to their senses, they realized that it would not be fair to her family. Some people say that one marries the person and not the family, but that aphorism made no sense to Severus. From his observations the strongest marriages were those that had the support of the extended families and Severus had no desire to get off on the foot by denying his father-in-law the chance to walk his youngest daughter down the aisle.

When Lucy was in the midst of her coma, it had seemed prudent to postpone the wedding date as the Healers did not know when she would awaken or how long her recovery would take. Lucy was upset that they had lost St. Michael's but her parents had offered an alternative that meant they did not have to change the wedding date. Despite the fact that they would no longer be having a church wedding, Lucy and Severus still acquiesced to Esther's wish for a Christian ceremony. It mattered little to Severus and Lucy whether they were married before a priest or magistrate, so it was a little concession to make Lucy's mother happy.

Today was more than Severus and Lucy's wedding day. Once they were married, Lucy's adoption of Harry would be official. After he and Lucy exchanged their vows, there would be an additional ceremony commemorating their coming together as a family. Harry said they were all getting married together as a family. In a way, the boy was right.

Severus stood in his brother-in-laws bedroom at the Ashley House and looked out as the wedding planners set up the white chairs in the back garden for the nearly two-hundred guests. Who knew that between him and Lucy, they had so much friends and family…granted most of them were on Lucy's side. Never in is life had Severus imagined himself to be a part of something so big.

It was a gorgeous summer day. The sky was clear blue, the dogwoods, magnolias, and Japanese cherry blossoms were all magically in bloom. The Spanish moss draped the oak and cypress trees in a gossamer veil. It was expected to rain later in the afternoon, but by then the reception would be moved to the front veranda and the cool rain would offer a welcome respite from the heat of the day.

Today he would become a part of a wizarding family that was amongst the most well respected on either side of the ocean. His father-in-law would be receiving the Order-of-Merlin First Class in August for his work on his improved Wolfsbane potion and at home he was about to become the great-great-nephew of the venerable Albus Dumbledore. As intimidating as living up to the expectations of such a family would be to any wizard, Severus had more nerve-wracking concerns on his mind…such as what would Lucy think of his new beard and moustache when she walked down the aisle?

Severus had been contemplating the change for quite some time. Remus and Black had finally talked him into it the night before, pointing out that a new life as a married man would be the perfect occasion for such a change. Even Harry liked the change after Black cast the hair growth charm on Severus' face. Unfortunately, Black's spell had been a bit too enthusiastic. When his facial hair finally decided to stop growing, Severus had a beard to rival Hagrid's.

Thankfully, James, Lucy's brother-in-law, had mentioned that Theresa was quite talented when it came to trimming his beard. Not knowing what else to do, Severus reluctantly agreed. Fortunately, James was right. Theresa had done a marvellous job despite her irritation. She claimed that she did not want her little sister to walk down the aisle to find herself standing in front of a scruffy-faced troll.

When she was done, even Theresa seemed to marvel at her own handiwork. Severus almost hexed Black when he let out a wolf-whistle. Severus had to admit, the beard seemed to fill out his hollow cheek bones and hide his pale pallor. Theresa said the beard accentuated his mysterious, black eyes. Severus was thankful for the beard then because he could feel his face warm with embarrassment.

He mused at his new reflection in the window, as well as those of his groomsmen as they readied themselves. With his new face and his hair pulled back, he could almost pass for handsome. He was lean in his white linen shirt and smoke grey trousers. He looked rather dashing, much like a Flamenco dancer…or at least he hoped Lucy would think so. It was an early afternoon wedding at home and he and Lucy had decided to forgo the formality of jackets or waistcoats. It was a good thing. It was Mid-June in Charleston, South Carolina, and the temperature would reach thirty-two centigrade before the end of the ceremony.

Severus was also keenly aware that Lucy was downstairs in the library with her ladies-in-waiting fussing over her. He closed his eyes and took a deep cleansing breath. He knew a woman's wedding day was when she was her most beautiful, but Severus could not imagine her any more beautiful than she already was. He hoped he would remember to breathe and not stand there, frozen like a love-stuck teenager, too transfixed by the very sight of her.

He turned away from the window to see Black helping Harry with his braces and Remus reading over what Severus could only assume was his toast. How could everyone be so calm? He had lived with Lucy for over seven months now. Why a simple technicality like getting married made Severus as nervous as a niffler amongst kneezles was beyond him.

Severus suddenly panicked as he watched Remus go over his toast for the umpteenth time. He couldn't remember is vows! The entire enormity of the day came crashing down around Severus and he felt his insides turn upside-down and he had to make a mad dash for the loo. As he shut the bathroom door behind him, over the heaving of his stomach, Severus could hear Black say to Remus, "It's not even ten. You owe me ten Galleons."

"What a shame. I was certain he would at least make it to noon."


Lucy had been shaking the entire morning as Mama, Teresa, and Karen dressed and fussed over her for what was the biggest day of her life. She sat in a chair before a large standing mirror that had been brought down from Mama and Daddy's room. At the moment she was practically naked, clad only on her strapless white corset, panties, garter belt and lace stockings. Terri and Karen were fixing her make-up while her mama readied her wedding dress and veil.

Mama was taking particular care with the veil. The white Irish lace confection had been passed down the generations since the time of Mawmaw Eleanor's grandmother. Only the veil's magic had protected it from the ravages of time. Every woman in her family who wore the veil had been blessed with a long and happy marriage. There were only two exceptions of women not wearing the veil in living memory and both marriages had ended sadly, Terri's disastrous first marriage being the latest example. The veil may not have been in Lucy's taste, but she wasn't about to take any chances.

Lucy wondered how Severus did it. He always managed to keep his composure. Surely he was handling the day better than she was. In two short hours she would be Mrs Severus Snape. After today, she would also officially be Harry's mother. God forbid if anything should ever happen to Severus, no one could take Harry away and break-up the family.

After much discussion over the pros and cons of keeping her maiden name for professional reasons, Lucy had announced to Severus that she would take on his name. Her title would officially be Dr Lucille Snape. It was also how the students would discern between herself and Severus. He would remain Professor Snape and she would be Dr Snape. It may prove to be confusing at first, but it would not be the first time in Hogwarts history that a married couple taught at the school…or even two wizards with the same name taught at the same time. The students and staff would adjust and everyone was already accustomed to calling Lucy by her professional title of 'Doctor.'

"Lucy," Terri said in exasperation. "You can't keep crying like this. If this mascara is to stay on, your eyes have to be dry when I apply it. Do you want to go to your man looking like a raccoon?"

"I can't help it," Lucy confessed as she dabbed carefully under her eyes with a handkerchief. "I just can't believe this day is finally here. It doesn't seem real." Her eyes were already turning red. She didn't want to go for blood-shot. The reversal spell could sting and tended to dry the eyes out completely and when it wore off, the eyes tended to be even worse.

"Here," Karen said as she dug through her handbag and pulled out a dark brown tube. "It's the Muggle waterproof stuff. The wizarding brand makes my eyes poof up. It will last through the ceremony well enough."

After another forty-five minutes of her sister and sister-in-law's primping and pulling, Lucy's hair and make-up was finally done. Terri had kept Lucy's make-up light and simple. Rather than making Lucy unrecognizable, she simply looked like a perfected version of herself. Karen had piled Lucy's hair in a loose bun, with wispy curls subtly framing her cheekbones. A wreath of tiny orange blossoms and baby's breath was woven into a crown around her bun. She really felt pretty. She hoped Severus would think she was too.

"Are you ready, baby girl?" Lucy's mama asked softly. She seemed almost as nervous as Lucy.

"Yes, Mama," Lucy said anxiously. As nervous as she was, she was never more ready for anything in her life.

Lucy stepped atop a small stool and raised her arms in the air. She was thankful she had shed her cane over a month ago. The only thing she intended to lean on as she walked to Severus was her daddy's arm.

With her wand, Lucy's mama raised dress over her daughter's head and it gracefully draped itself around Lucy's body. It was a simple, white, strapless affair that extenuated her natural waistline and trailed back into a sweeping train. It was reminiscent of an ancient Grecian stola. Mama and Terri attached her veil to the orange blossom tiara and Karen gave Lucy her matching bouquet.

Lucy caught her breath at the sight of herself in the mirror.

"You're beautiful, sweetheart," Mama said through held back tears.

"Yes you are, Lucy," Terri said in agreement. "But just wait until you get an eyeful of your mister."


Severus was ready to jump out of his skin as the final notes of the prelude to Bach's Cello Suite Number One disappeared and the soft strains of Air on the G String quietly built on the wind. He stood before Lucy's brother, Daniel, along with Harry, Remus Lupin, and Sirius Black below a flowered arch before a white foot bridge. Harry was Severus' best man. As excited Harry was to see Lucy in her wedding dress, the child was a rock compared to his father, and Severus fed off that strength else he would lose his feet.

Lucy's sister, her sister-in-law, and her old college friend, Michelle, stood opposite. Black had brought the Weasley's with him in order to represent Severus as family. Much of the Hogwarts faculty and staff also came as friends, with the exception of Albus, who sat next to his brother on the bride's side. It was the first time the brothers had been seen together at a function in almost a century and was sure to make the front page of the Daily Prophet…and yes—the Prophet had already asked for and been denied an exclusive of the wedding. The fact that the bride and groom were now the adoptive parents of Harry Potter would not go unnoticed. Though they had been denied the exclusive, Lucy and Severus had promised some official wedding photos in hopes of keeping the hounds at bay.

But Severus thought on none of this at the moment. His world was focused on the dream wrapped in a warm breeze that was walking towards him on a carpet of white orchid petals on her father's arm. Lucy's smile broadened as their eyes met. Amongst so many people, there was no one else but one another.

Daniel's voice needed no amplification as it called out, "Who gives this woman to this man in Holy Matrimony?"

Richard squeezed Lucy's arm and he nearly choked on the words. "Her mother and I do." He lifted Lucy's veil and gave his little girl a gentle kiss on the cheek, before Esther came up to lead him back to his seat.

Lucy took Severus' hand. She had been shaking just as much as Severus but when their hands met, the shaking had stopped. They gave each other soft smiles and together they confidently turned to face Daniel.

"Dearly beloved, we have come together in the presence of God to witness and bless the joining together of this man and this woman in Holy Matrimony. The bond and covenant of marriage was established by God in creation, and our Lord Jesus Christ adorned this manner of life by his presence and first miracle at a wedding in Cana of Galilee…"

The words became lost to Severus as the only sound he could hear was that of his own breathing and the only thing he could see was his bride. It wasn't until Daniel had finally announced, "Severus and Lucy have chosen their own vows," that Severus returned to reality.

Severus' fear of forgetting his vows was gone; the words came as naturally as breathing and they were the greatest truth he would ever speak. "I, Severus Tobias Snape, in the name of the spirit of God that resides within us all, by the life that courses within my blood and the love that resides within my heart, take you, Lucille Mary O'Conner, to my hand, my heart, and my spirit, to be my beloved wife. To desire you and be desired by you, to possess you, and be possessed by you, without sin or shame, for naught can exist in the purity of my love for you. I promise to love you wholly and completely without restraint, in sickness and in health, in plenty and in poverty, in life and beyond, where we shall meet, remember, and love again. I shall not seek to change you in any way. I shall respect you, your beliefs, your people, and your ways as I respect myself."

Severus looked down upon Lucy, lost in her turquoise eyes. As she gazed back at him, he could feel the love he had for her returned. It was hard to believe that one person could hold so much love and passion for him. As she spoke her vows, her voice never wavered. "I, Lucille Mary O'Conner, in the name of the spirit of God that resides within us all, by the life that courses within my blood and the love that resides within my heart, take you, Severus Tobias Snape, to my hand, my heart, and my spirit, to be my beloved husband. To desire you and be desired by you, to possess you, and be possessed by you, without sin or shame, for naught can exist in the purity of my love for you. I promise to love you wholly and completely without restraint, in sickness and in health, in plenty and in poverty, in life and beyond, where we shall meet, remember, and love again. I shall not seek to change you in any way. I shall respect you, your beliefs, your people, and your ways as I respect myself."

After the exchanging of simple gold rings, the pronouncement as Severus and Lucy as man and their first kiss as man and wife, Sirius escorted Harry up to the dais and the child stood between Severus and Lucy, taking the hand of each.

"Beloved friends and family," Daniel announced. "Today we celebrate more than the union of a husband and wife, but also the union of a family. I bid you join with Severus, Lucy, and Harry in their happiness and to witness the inauguration of this new relationship."

Holding his prayer book Daniel looked to Severus and Lucy. "Severus Tobias, Lucille Mary…do you take this child as your own?

Together they answered, "We do."

Daniel then knelt down to face Harry. His bass voice asked gently, "Henry James…Do you take this woman as your mother?"

Harry happily said as he smiled up at Lucy and she smiled back to him, "I do."

"And Harry," Daniel asked as he nodded towards Severus. "Do you take this man as your father?"

Harry beamed up at Severus and his heart swelled with pride for his son when Harry said once again, "I do."

After the reciting of another prayer, Daniel gave his final benediction. "Almighty God, giver of life and love, bless Severus and Lucy. Grant them wisdom and devotion in the ordering of their common life, that each may be to the other a strength in need, a counsellor in perplexity, a comfort in sorrow, and a companion in joy. And so knit their wills together in your will and their spirits in your Spirit, that this family may live together in love and peace all the days of their life; through Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen."

Daniel then gestured to Severus, Lucy, and Harry to turn and face their family and friends. "Beloved…I present to you the Snape family. Whom God has brought so together here today, may no one rend asunder!"

The congregation stood at once with a thunderous applause for the new family. Together, the Snapes would go forth and face the world, confidant in the knowledge that whatever life had planned…they would never have to face it alone.

The End.
End Notes:
I can't believe it. I'm choking up right now. With the exception of the epilogue, this little story has come to an end. I hope you enjoyed this trip as much as I did.

Credit where credit is due. Most of the wedding and the adoption ceremony was taken directly out of "The Book of Common Prayer." The exception was Severus' and Lucy's vows, which are taken from Pagan vows. I just thought them beautiful.

And huge extra-big, worlds most sugar-coated thanks to my Beta, Tambrathegreat. Without her help, this story would not have been what it had become. Thank you,Tambra. You kept on me and made me a better writer.

Until the epilouge...

~Missyann
Epilogue by missyanne

***18 May, 1989***

Severus' seventh year double potions class was finishing their clean-up and it was almost time for lunch. He was famished. Today the elves were serving bangers and mash and he really was looking forward to tucking in. At home, Lucy had the family pretty much restricted to her own diet and damn it, as much as Severus touted the virtues of vegetables as much as the next responsible parent, there was only so much rabbit food a man could take.

Thursday afternoons he was usually in a fairly good mood and today was no different. Unlike the lower level classes that consisted of pre-pubescent dunderheads who were either daydreaming or attempting to sabotage their rival House's potions, his N.E.W.T level students were actually in his class because the either wanted or needed to be. The classes were relatively small, consisting of a mix of all Houses. The students were eager to learn the finer arts of his discipline and were serious behind their cauldrons. Every now and again, Severus would even run across a student with a serious passion for the craft. It was these students who made teaching a worthwhile endeavour.

His students were just beginning to settle back down to their work benches and Severus was getting ready to announce their next assignment when his classroom door burst open, the oak door slamming against the stone wall. Every student nearly jumped from their seats. A few who were moderately adept at defence actually had their wands drawn.

The disturbance had not been enough to cause Severus to raise his wand, but it went far to raise his temper. "Mr Wood! You better have a good explanation for this disruption, mister, or you'll find yourself in cleaning lavatories with Mr Filch until the end of term!"

The second-year Gryffindor held-tight to the door knob, bent over and trying to catch his breath. He finally managed to pant, "It's…It's Dr Snape, sir….It's time!"

That was a indeed an adequate explanation. Severus had completely forgotten this was the period Lucy had her second year Gryffindor/Ravenclaws. Had he remembered, he would have put two and two together as soon as the boy burst into his class.

The thought no sooner cleared his head when reality hit. It was time! He knew it would be soon…but he wasn't expecting it right now. Suddenly the air seemed to leave the room and the walls began to spin as his students broke out in thunderous applause and shouts of adulation. As Severus grabbed the corner of the desk to keep from hitting the floor he felt a strong hand suddenly come to his aid. "Sir…are you going to be alright? Do you need a Calming Draught?"

"No. I'll be fine Mr Weasley." Severus said as he righted himself and straightened his robes as he recovered his dignity. Lucy needed him to have all of his faculties right now. "Class dismissed," Severus announced. The room emptied quickly with shouts of congratulations. If word hadn't already spread throughout the school, it would in the next ten minutes. Severus quickly turned to the Head Boy, who was still standing beside him, "Bill…I need you to…"

"Just give me the password to your office and I'll go get him."

"Thank you," Severus said gratefully. He gave the red-headed young man who was practically a godson to him, his password and headed out the door.

Before he made it to the corridor Bill Weasley called out to him, "Oh…Uncle Severus!"

Severus stopped and turned to Bill just as the boy smiled and said, "Congratulations."


"Ungghh!"

"You're doing wonderful, darling. You're almost there…Just a couple more."

"That's easy for you to say." Lucy panted as she leaned towards her mother.

Esther had come from the States to assist in the birth of her latest grandchild, just as she had assisted in the birth of her eldest daughter's children. She and Severus were supporting Lucy on either side of the birthing chair. Lucy allowed herself to sit back and relax for a moment before the next set of contractions hit. She was clad only in a simple white shift that was gathered up above her belly now. It clung to Lucy with her exhaustive sweat. Her hair was pulled back into two long braids and her bangs were plastered on her face. She was beautiful.

"Poppy tell me again, why pain killers are such a bad idea?" Lucy asked, looking down at her mid-wife.

Poppy was knelt in front of Lucy, with her hand on Lucy's abdomen to feel for contractions and her stethoscope in her ear, monitoring the baby's heartbeat. "You're doing fine, Lucy," Poppy assured her. "We've already discussed the side-affects…Oh….here we go again."

"Let me and Severus hold you up, baby," Esther urgently advised Lucy. "You just push, Lucy…Push!"

"Ahh…Ahh...AHHH!"

It was all Severus could do to keep from withdrawing his hand. If Lucy squeezed any harder, she would break it. He marvelled at his mother-in-law who wasn't even flinching under the pain. Severus came to the conclusion that any man who questioned the physical strength of women, never witnessed a natural birth.

"Almost there Lucy. Just one more push."

Severus hadn't thought it possible, but Lucy tightened her grip on his and her mother's hands. With one last herculean effort, she leaned forward and pushed with all her strength. Severus was startled when she called out his name, "Severuuusss!"

"I'm here, darling!"

Just as Lucy leaned back into the chair and laid her head against him, the brief silence was broken with a mighty cry. Still holding Lucy's hand, Severus looked up and Lucy weakly lifted her head from his shoulder.

"You have a little girl," Poppy announced through her joyful tears.

Severus couldn't move. All he could do is stair at the gore-covered bundle protesting in Poppy's hands. They had a girl! A girl!

Esther gave Lucy a kiss on the cheek as she arose to help Poopy clean and swaddle the baby. He placed his hand on Lucy's cheek, gazing at her watery eyes with his own, "You did it Lucy…we have a girl."

Lucy pressed her lips to his palm and said, "I couldn't have done it without you."

Severus swallowed hard and nodded, "And you only threatened my manhood once."

Lucy choked back her laughter and Severus leaned over and kissed her.

"Severus?"

Severus and Lucy looked up to see Esther gazing lovingly and the small pink bundle in her arms. "Would you like to introduce Lucy to your daughter?"

His daughter.

Severus took a sharp breath that he was certain he would never exhale. He turned to Lucy and hesitated, simply because he was unsure as to what to do. Lucy encouraged him to go with a gesture of her chin. Poppy helped Lucy into bed as Esther carefully handed Severus his daughter.

"Watch her head."

Severus was finally able to breathe again when is daughter was finally safe in his arms. He held her as if she was the most precious and fragile jewel in the world, because she was. Before he straightened up, Esther stood on her toes, and planted a kiss on his cheek, "Thank you, son."

Esther went off to make the announcement to the gathering of friends and family waiting outside the hospital and Severus finally had a chance to look at the life he helped to create. The first thing he noticed was her thin feathery-soft raven hair…she had his hair. Her tiny, perfect hands and fingernails were a miracle of nature. He was expecting a little replica of Lucy, only to find himself looking at his mirror image. Was he really such a beautiful baby? She had his long nose…definitely a trait he had never thought of as beautiful before, but on his girl…it was perfection. The one striking feature she had inherited from Lucy was those exquisite turquoise eyes. His girl looked up and studied him too…his eyes and his beard perhaps. He could almost see an old wisdom behind those new eyes. Her tiny lips softly puckered as if she were blowing him tiny kisses. He leaned over and gave his child her first kiss ever. "Welcome to the world, my Imogene."

***17 June, 1989***

The house at Spinner's End had never seen so many people between its walls at once. He had to keep the entrance door open to accommodate the overflow of people. It was a reception following Imogene's christening and the house was bursting at the seams with life.

The ceremony had taken place at the house, with Lucy's brother Daniel once again administering the rights. Naturally Lucy's parents had made the special trip over. Her younger brother, Allen was already staying the summer before he began graduate school the following term at MIT.

Albus and Aberforth were of course there to celebrate the newest addition to their bloodline. It was a special day for Aberforth. It was his first time attending the christening of one of his now ever-increasing number of great-great grandchildren.

The entire Weasley family had shown. The younger children had taken their energy to the back garden along with some children of a few Hogwarts staff members almost all of which had arrived.

And of course Sirius Black and Remus Lupin were there. How could Remus not be, for next to Imogene…he was the Person of the Hour.

Harry sat to the right of Remus on the sofa. To the newly appointed godfather's left, his companion, Gwenog Jones held fast to his arm, and leaned over Remus' shoulder to have a better look at his new god-daughter. Black stood behind the sofa, with his hands upon the shoulders of both his own god son and his best friend. If Black looked any prouder, Severus was certain he would explode.

Remus seemed to be choking on his happiness when he said, "Severus…I don't know how to thank you and Lucy enough for this…I don't…"

Severus quickly interrupted. "It seems the least Lucy and I could do."

"You will be a wonderful godfather, Alf," Lucy added as she knelt before Remus and gently put a hand on the baby's forehead. "You've been like family to the O'Conner's for years. It's just seems right to make it official."

"And you've been…a good friend as well," Severus added hastily. "I had to agree with Lucy. I can think of no one more deserving."

It was fortunate for Severus that Remus was sitting down with his arms full of baby. The man looked as if he would bound up and embrace Severus at any moment. Severus agreeing to Remus Lupin being the godfather of his child said more than any words as to how far Severus had come to making peace with his past.

It took quite of bit of calling in of favours on Albus' part…and Severus suspected some greasing of palms as well, for Remus' lycanthropy to be conveniently overlooked by the Ministry.

"She looks like me and Dad," Harry astutely observed, "except she's a lot prettier."

Severus raised his eyebrow at that. Though Harry was begotten of James Potter, he was every bit as much Severus' son as Imogene was his daughter. But now that Severus thought about it, the boy with his jet-black hair and mannerisms that mimic his own, Harry did seem to resemble Severus more as the years passed.

"Harry, you and your father are both very good looking." Lucy chided good naturedly.

"But we're not pretty, Mum. Men aren't pretty…only girls are."

"Men?" Sirius chuckled. "No need to rush into anything, kiddo."

"Well I am almost nine," Harry defended, "and I'll be getting my Hogwarts letter in only two years."

Two years, Severus mused.

Was it really so little time? Today Severus was the father of two children. It had only been a little less than two years since Severus married Lucy. Two years before that, he had taken in Harry. And two years before that…he had been a lonely and bitter man. A friendless outcast. What monumental changes two short years could make.

Today was a new beginning for his family and the future promised many more new beginnings. Severus could not help but to reflect on the toast Albus gave in honour his younger brother earlier that day…

It is ironic that through the years it is I who has been lauded for the greatness of my accomplishments when the blood of our fore-father's lives through you and your generations. It is no secret that the most powerful magic finds its strength in love. The love that flows through this house and through the hearts of our kin and kind today is because of you, my brother, and is testament all you have accomplished in your life. You are the patriarch of four generations. I cannot conceive of anything greater one man can give to the world?

Severus watched Remus finally give Imogene to Lucy to be fed. Lucy lovingly adjusted Imogene's blanket and Severus listened as Harry boasted how he was going to teach his little sister how to play Quidditch. It then occurred him that he too could possibly one day be a patriarch. The very notion was daunting… the whole idea of a family's pride resting on his shoulders.

Though Severus found it all very humbling and frankly terrifying, he looked forward to what the future had to offer and actually believed he had something important to offer in return. Long ago, he made a promise to do everything within his power to live up to the potential Harry and Lucy saw in him and he strove every day to fulfil that promise. It is a promise he would also make to Imogene.

In Severus' short twenty-nine years on this Earth, he learned many hard lessons…more than many men three times his age. The most important of which, life has more than one plan for us— and it was up to each person as to which path they follow. A person could choose to live their life in bitter resentment…stuck in a dark past, yet fearful of change with no hope for the bright future. Or…they could choose to move forward and clear the way before them…gaining strength by learning from their mistakes and living in joy from new experiences.

Severus had changed his path the day he found Harry. His new path of self-discovery made him realize that even a former Death Eater could find redemption and forgiveness... and was capable of love and worthy of being loved. Eventually that path had led to Lucy and now his daughter.

Severus was no longer doomed to walk his path alone. Perhaps out of all the lessons he could teach his children and grandchildren…his was the most important lesson of all.

The End.
End Notes:
Whew! Well there you go folks. It is DONE! *tear*

Please, let me know what you think and to all of those who have been quietly following along, now is the time to be heard.

Thank you... all of you... who have walked with me through this tale and all of its ups and downs. And especially thank you, Tambra. You know the reasons, and I couldn't adequately express them here if I tried.

Yes, there is a sequel currently in the works. Keep your eyes open for, "Harry Potter-Snape and the Spell Book of Salazar Slytherin."

TTFN
~Missyann


This story archived at http://www.potionsandsnitches.org/fanfiction/viewstory.php?sid=2169