Eclipse of the Soul, the Sevitus version by SHaria
Summary: A chance encounter preludes the future path for Severus and Harry.
Categories: Teacher Snape > Trusted Mentor Snape Main Characters: .Snape and Harry (required), Arthur, Dumbledore, Ginny, Hagrid, Hedwig, Hermione, Luna, McGonagall, Molly, Neville, Original Character, Pomfrey, Remus, Ron, Shacklebolt, Sirius, Tonks, Voldemort
Snape Flavour: None
Genres: Angst, Drama
Media Type: None
Tags: Alternate Universe, Snape-meets-Dursleys
Takes Place: 6th summer
Warnings: Abusive Dursleys, Romance/Slash, Suicide Themes
Challenges: None
Series: None
Chapters: 40 Completed: Yes Word count: 135601 Read: 179798 Published: 31 May 2010 Updated: 21 Jul 2011
Chapter 14. A Wintry Season by SHaria
Author's Notes:
Sorry for the delay in posting. I was busy finishing the other version of this story elsewhere (36 chapters). Happily, this took place yesterday on Harry Potter's (and JKR's) birthday. Happy 30th Birthday, Harry!

Warning! This chapter contains some profanity.

14. A Wintry Season

 

 

Harry pressed himself flat against an enormous old Cypress tree and erected yet another Shield charm, but not before a Blasting Curse exploded nearby, sending a small stone flying and clipping him on the back of his head.

 

He’d already performed all the curses and hexes that had been assigned for this end of term maneuver, all he needed to do now was to make his way back to the starting point.

 

Dropping his Shield Charm, Harry silently incanted “Geminio.” All of a sudden, a dozen Harrys appeared and began running in all directions.

 

While all of these Harrys were being hit with assorted jinxes and hexes the real Harry cast a Disillusionment Charm upon himself and ran pell-mell toward a rocky outcropping.

 

When he reached the designated ‘safety zone’ he leaned against one of the smooth boulders, slid to the ground and uttered wearily, “Finite.”

 

Dumbledore, who’d been watching the operation from this vantage spot, actually jumped at Harry's sudden appearance.

 

“There you are. Well done, my boy, well done,” the old wizard said with a smile.

 

Channon came running over, “Harry that was brilliant, using the Gemino Curse!”

 

Harry was totally out of breath but he managed a small 'Thanks' to both men.

 

While the majority of students had been in Hogsmeade relaxing and doing some Christmas shopping, Harry had spent over an hour in a secluded grove just north of the castle executing a Defense Against the Dark Arts test designed specifically for him. He’d had to make his way across the grove using an arsenal of assigned spells, hexes and curses all whilst battling off both professors Jackson and Snape.

 

Harry sat leaning against the boulder, listening to Dumbledore and Jackson as they discussed some of the highlights of the exercise when he saw Snape approach.

 

The two dark haired wizards silently regarded each other for a few moments before Severus offered the smallest of smiles and finally nodded his head in approval.

 

Harry didn’t understand why, but Snape’s approval had become very important to him. Seeing his professor nod his head, Harry finally breathed a sigh of relief and leaned his head back against the cold stone.

 

Severus noted the blood running down the back of Harry’s neck. “You’re injured”

 

Dumbledore and Jackson ceased their conversation to look at Harry who in turn had begun examining his hands and legs.

 

During the exercise, Harry had needed to dive behind countless trees and rocks for cover and had been sprayed numerous times with shards of wood and bits of stone. He’d received so many little cuts and bruises, he wasn’t certain to which one Snape was referring.

 

Severus moved over to where Harry sat and knelt down on one knee. “Let me take a look,” he said as he gently placed a hand on Harry’s shoulder, encouraging him to lean forward.

 

Severus carefully parted the hair and inspected the wound. “Perhaps you should have Madame Pomfrey heal this.”

 

“Oh no Sir, couldn’t you do it?” asked Harry. “It’s just a cut, right?”

 

Severus looked to Dumbledore who nodded his consent.

 

He healed the wound then helped the teen get to his feet.

 

“Now that you have mastered these spells,” said the Headmaster. “Professor Jackson and I wish to discuss with you the next level of your training. Why don’t you get cleaned up and then come to my office in say … two hours?”

 

“Come on Harry,” Channon called over, “I’ll walk you back to the castle.”

 

“Severus would you mind staying a moment?” asked Dumbledore. “There is something I need to discuss with you.”

 

“Of course Headmaster.”

 

Channon and Harry started back toward the castle as Severus moved to stand closer to Dumbledore. After taking only a few steps Harry chanced a glance back and saw that the two wizards were watching him.

 

~~~~~SH~~~~~

 

Gryffindor Tower was practically empty as most of the students were still in Hogsmeade.

 

Harry walked up the stairs and headed straight for the showers.

 

He washed away the grime and tended to his wounds then stood for a long time under the spray, hoping that the hot water would chase away the residual cold lingering in his bones from his afternoon out in the winter temperatures.

 

Toweling off, he felt totally exhausted and decided to try and catch a short kip before heading up to the Headmaster’s office.

 

With only a towel wrapped around his waist Harry shuffled down the hallway to his dorm room but stopped in his tracks when he saw the tie hanging on the doorknob.  

 

“Oh no.”

 

He let out a huff and debated what to do. Normally he’d just go hang out in the common room, but he was standing there stark naked except for the towel. The clothes he’d worn that afternoon were a mess and besides which — he was really tired and needed a nap, damn it.

 

He knocked soundly on the door. “Listen, whoever’s in there, I’m coming in.”

 

“Hold up!” Ron called out, “didn’t you see the tie?”

 

“Of course I saw the tie but I’m freezing out here.”

 

Harry heard muffled voices. “Ron, I’m serious. I’m opening this door in three seconds. One, two…”

 

It sounded like someone fell on the floor, then after only a couple of seconds — the door opened and there stood Ron. From his disheveled appearance, it was easy to guess what he’d been up to.

 

“Harry…what’s the idea?”

 

“What do you mean — what’s the idea? This is my room too.”

 

A noise caused him to look over just in time to see Hermione kneeling on Ron’s bed, franticly trying to button up her blouse.

 

“Oh for God’s sake,” he said under his breath.

 

“Harry, listen…” pleaded Ron.

 

Harry gave up and just walked in to the room — towel and all. “Never mind, it’s all right. You two don’t think I already know? I’ve known about you for weeks.”

 

“Oh Harry,” Hermione’s voice at first sounded sympathetic, but it quickly turned to a squeal. “Oh Harry!”

 

He had walked to the other side of his bed and turned away from her, then dropped his towel and pulled on a pair of sweats. “Sorry Mione, but I’m freezing!” Then he pulled last year’s Christmas jumper from Mrs. Weasley over his head.

 

Hermione, still on her knees, stared at Harry in disbelief. “What in Merlin’s name happened to you? You’re covered with bruises and cuts.”

 

“Oh.” He thought she had squealed because of the towel. “It’s nothing,” he responded as he pulled back the covers and crawled onto his bed. “They’re just from my exam this afternoon.”

 

“Oh yeah, how did it go?” asked Ron.

 

“Fine.” Harry said in a huff as he placed his glasses on the night-table.

 

“No, come on tell us … how did it go?”

 

Ron and Hermione were a blur but Harry stared pointedly at them anyway. “It went fine. I got through all the spells and made it to the safety spot. But now I just need to warm up and close my eyes for a bit before I meet with the Headmaster.”

 

“You’re meeting with Dumbledore? Why, what’s going on?” asked Ron.

 

“Ron!” Harry yelled, “Will you please just give me a break?”

 

“Come on Ron,” Hermione pulled gently at his arm. “Harry is tired. We can talk to him later.”

 

Ron’s hurt was evident in his expression as he and Hermione sulked out of the room, closing the door behind them.

 

Harry watched his two friends leave and then continued to stare at the door after it had closed. He didn’t know why, but these days he felt like an outsider — like he just didn’t fit in anymore.

 

“Dobby,” he called out quietly.

 

The house elf immediately appeared. “Yes, Harry Potter. Dobby is here.”

 

Harry managed a little smile at the elf’s enthusiasm. “Dobby, would you wake me up in about forty-five minutes? I’m really tired and I have to be somewhere in an hour.”

 

“Yes, Harry Potter. Dobby will wait here and wake Harry Potter.”

 

“Thanks, Dobby.”

 

Harry dropped down under the covers and fell asleep after only a few moments.

 

Dobby felt very sad because lately his favorite human had been very unhappy.

 

He tip toed up to the head of the bed and pulled the covers a little further up over Harry’s shoulders. Then he sat down and waited quietly while Harry Potter slept.

 

~~~~~SH~~~~~

 

The first snows of the season swirled as the students climbed into the waiting carriages.

 

“Have a Happy Christmas,” Hermione wished Harry, giving him a hug. “I wish you could go to the Burrow.”

 

“It’s okay, Hermione. It’s not like this is the first time I’ve had to stay here for Christmas.”

 

She started to pull away but Harry held onto her and whispered in her ear. “Listen, I’m sorry I’ve been an ass lately.”

 

She tightened her grasp on him. “You don’t need to apologize. You have every right to be angry.”

 

They stood there for a while holding onto each other until Ron stepped close and placed a hand on Harry’s back. “Hey mate, I could stay here with you and…”

 

“No Ron, you go be with your family. I’ll be okay, really. Professor Jackson is staying and we’re going to work on some new stuff.”

 

“All right,” Hagrid’s voice cut through the air, “We’r needin to keep a move on. In’tuh the carriages with ya now.”

 

“Well, have a Happy Christmas,” Harry called out as Ron and Hermione climbed into the carriage then he stood and watched as it rolled away toward the front gates.

 

~~~~~SH~~~~~

 

The weather turned bitterly cold the week before Christmas. Channon worked relentlessly with Harry on his new assignment — wandless spells, everyday from sun-up until well into the night.

 

It was the day before Christmas and the two men were just walking back toward the castle after their morning run.

 

“So you’re leaving this afternoon?”

 

A look of contentment crossed his professor’s face. “Yeah.”

 

Channon placed a gentle hand on Harry’s back, “I have some news, Harry “I hope it’s good news.” 

“It is,” he smiled. “I’m, well ... I’m engaged.”

 

Harry actually stopped in his tracks. “You’re engaged?”

 

“Yes.”

 

“You’re getting married?”

 

“That’s generally what it means … yes,” he said, chuckling.

 

“Then what in God’s name are you doing here? Why aren’t you with her?  Her … right?”

 

“Yes, she’s a her.” Channon gave Harry a push and they resumed walking toward the castle. “To answer your first question, I’m here because I believe strongly in this assignment.”

 

Harry answered sheepishly, “You mean, training me?”

 

“Yes, training you is important and necessary for the survival of everyone, both Muggle and magical people. I have Mariah’s complete support in this.”

 

“Mariah. That’s her name?”

 

“Yes.”

 

“And that’s where you’re going for Christmas?”

 

Channon bumped his shoulder against Harry’s. “Yeah. I’m sorry if…”

 

“Oh no, Channon. Really, I’m happy for you.”

 

~~~~~SH~~~~~

 

Harry awoke on Christmas morning to an empty dorm room.

 

He sat up in bed and rubbed the sleep from his eyes. As usual, there was a small pile of presents at the foot of the bed. When he put on his glasses however, he realized that it really couldn’t be considered a pile as there was only one present and two letters.

 

Feeling a bit disappointed, he bit his lips and unwrapped the present, a book on rare defensive spells from Channon. Then he reached for the smallest letter.

 

It turned out to be a card from Remus, wishing Harry a Happy Christmas and saying that he wished he could come and visit but that he was busy on an assignment for the Order.

 

Tossing it aside, he then reached over and picked up the larger envelope. There was a slight bulge in the middle. When he opened the envelope, out fell an amulet strung upon a silver chain.

 

He’d never seen anything like it and he picked up the amulet to study it more closely. Then he unfolded the parchment and read the note.

 

Harry,

This is a powerful amulet, charmed with the ability to protect its wearer.

Wear it in good health,

S. S.

 

Harry couldn’t believe his eyes. He stared at the letter from Snape and ran his fingers over the initials. Then set down the note and slipped the necklace over his head. For some reason, he suddenly didn’t feel quite so alone.

 

Knowing there was a special Christmas breakfast being served in the Great Hall for the few individuals whom had stayed over; Harry got dressed and headed down the stairs. The sight that greeted him from the common room however, stopped him in his tracks.

 

There, standing before a huge decorated Christmas tree laden with presents beneath its boughs was the entire Weasley family, Hermione and Hagrid.

 

“Happy Christmas, Harry!” they all called out to him.

 

Everyone took a turn hugging him. Molly and Arthur had waited so that they were the last to reach Harry. When they did, Molly wrapped the stunned teen in her arms.

 

“You didn’t think we would let you be alone on Christmas, now did you?” she whispered in his ear.

 

Arthur placed one arm behind Harry’s back and one behind Molly’s. “We told you last summer son, you are a part of this family.”

 

Harry had vowed, that last time he’d seen Anthony, he would never cry again. But his determination was quickly beginning to fail him. He tucked his face at the base of Mrs. Weasley’s neck and spoke in a shaky voice, “Thank you for caring about me.”

 

“Oh dear,” she patted his back, “how many time do we have to tell you? We don’t just care about you … we love you.”

 

~~~~~SH~~~~~

 

“Bye Mom,” Neville leaned forward and gave his mother a peck on her cheek.  He stood up and stared down at the expressionless face.

 

“Gran, I’m going to go say good-bye to Dad, then I’ll meet you at the nurse’s desk.

 

“Very well,” the stern old witch answered. She and Neville had come to St. Mungo’s this Christmas day to pay a visit to his mother and father.

 

Alice was wearing the scarlet colored scarf her mother in law had brought as a Christmas present. Augusta knew the staff wouldn’t let her daughter in law keep the scarf, but had brought it anyway, thinking it might add a cheery touch.

 

Their visit completed, Augusta and her grandson left the hospital and only had to wait a moment out in the bitter cold for the Knight Bus to arrive.

 

Mrs. Longbottom took a seat in the front while Neville went to sit in the rear. These visits always left him feeling empty and depressed. Sitting alone at the back of the bus, he stared out the window and thought how just once, he wished he could experience a truly happy Christmas.

 

“Come along, Neville. Don’t dawdle.”

 

“Sorry, Gran.”

 

They walked up the long pathway and entered the front door to the Victorian mansion.

 

“I caught a chill being out in that cold,” she said. “Go and see if the elves have tea ready for us.
 

 

“Yes, Gran.”

 

Neville had barely taken one step when he heard his grandmother call out, “What are you doing here? How dare you step foot in my home!”

 

Turning, Neville reached for his wand but he was quickly grabbed by Mulciber.

 

“Shut it, you old bitch,” Bellatrix shouted back.  Then she quickly cast a Langlock jinx and Petrificus Totalus upon the matronly witch.

 

Dolohov swiftly levitated Augusta before she fell over and then positioned her on one of the couches.

 

“Gran!” Neville called out.

 

“Be quiet, you idiot boy,” snarled Bellatrix. “We aren’t going to hurt the old bat.”

 

Neville struggled to free himself but was quickly bound by thin cords that had shot out of Bellatrix’s wand.

 

“Let me go! Let me go!” he continued to struggle against his bonds.

 

“Bella, get on with it!” yelled Mulciber, “I’ve had it with this kid!”

 

Lestrange stepped close to Neville. Then with a gleam in her eye she raised and pointed her wand at the struggling teen. “Imperio,” she crooned softly.

 

Neville stopped his struggles and the expression on his face relaxed as he fell into the blissful daze of the curse.

 

She stepped even closer now and toyed with her captive as she ran her wand along his cheek and jaw. “We have a job for you to do my pudgy, little friend.”

 

Neville stared blankly at his tormentor.

 

“You are going to deliver Harry Potter to us.”

 

“I can’t. He’s safe inside Hogwarts.”

 

“I realize that you imbecile. That is why you must convince him to step outside the wards. Once he’s clear of the them, we can take him.”

 

“Harry is smart. He won’t do it.”

 

“Well you’d better find a way of getting him to leave of his own accord, because if you don’t do it, we will kill you grandmother.”

 

Neville was no match for the powerful curse. “All right, I’ll do it. I’ll find some way to get Harry to leave Hogwarts.” 

The End.
End Notes:
Hang in there folks. I promise things will start to look up for Harry. We just haven't gotten there yet.
Thanks for reading. SHaria


This story archived at http://www.potionsandsnitches.org/fanfiction/viewstory.php?sid=2170