Eclipse of the Soul, the Sevitus version by SHaria
Summary: A chance encounter preludes the future path for Severus and Harry.
Categories: Teacher Snape > Trusted Mentor Snape Main Characters: .Snape and Harry (required), Arthur, Dumbledore, Ginny, Hagrid, Hedwig, Hermione, Luna, McGonagall, Molly, Neville, Original Character, Pomfrey, Remus, Ron, Shacklebolt, Sirius, Tonks, Voldemort
Snape Flavour: None
Genres: Angst, Drama
Media Type: None
Tags: Alternate Universe, Snape-meets-Dursleys
Takes Place: 6th summer
Warnings: Abusive Dursleys, Romance/Slash, Suicide Themes
Challenges: None
Series: None
Chapters: 40 Completed: Yes Word count: 135601 Read: 179771 Published: 31 May 2010 Updated: 21 Jul 2011
Chapter 19. Summer Surprises by SHaria
Author's Notes:
Harry's summer turns out better then he thought it would.
All rights belong to JKR and the Gang.

19. Summer Surprises

“So when’s the wedding?” Harry asked as he levitated another load books into the awaiting box. 

“Next month,” Channon stopped his packing for a moment to look at the teen. “I wish you could come; if things were only different…”

“I understand Channon — it’s too risky.” Harry looked around the nearly empty office. “Just send me a postcard from your honeymoon, will you?”

“You can count on it.”

“Wow, Jamaica,” Harry resumed levitating the last few books from off the top shelf. “I can’t even imagine going somewhere like Jamaica.”

“Me too, I can hardly wait.”

“That’s the last of them.” Harry hopped off the table where he’d been sitting. “What’s next?”

“How about you start packing the Dark Detectors?”

“Sure.”

He walked over and began wrapping up the collection of delicate instruments in the special padded cloth bags. “Defense class just won’t be the same without you.”

“I wish I could stay and teach next year, but…”

“You have your job,” Harry finished the sentence as he fiddled with one of the detectors. “I don’t know what Unmentionables do, but it must be important.”

Channon just nodded. They both knew he wasn’t allowed to discuss the details of his work.

“Do you know who’s taking over for you?” asked Harry.

“I believe Dumbledore is still trying to find a replacement.”

Harry finished wrapping the last of the detectors and placed it in the box along with the others. “Well, I guess that’s it.”

“Looks like.”

Harry stood there, not knowing what to do. Channon was leaving first thing in the morning and they both knew that this was ‘Good bye’.

Channon walked over to the teen. “It was an honor to teach you this year Harry. You’re so gifted with magic and you learn so quickly.”

“That’s because you’re a good teacher.”

“Thank you.” Channon tipped his head, “But I think there’s a bit more to it than that.” 

“You taught me so much,” Harry continued as he looked anywhere but at Channon, trying to not let his emotions get the best of him.

Then Channon placed a hand on each one of Harry’s shoulders. “Listen to me; I want you to know that I admire you. And it’s not because you’re ‘The Chosen One’ or the ‘Boy Who Lived,’ it’s because of the kind of person you are and the way you deal with your peers.”

Harry looked down, embarrassed.

“I think of you not as a student … but as a friend.”

“Now that you’re not my teacher, could we be that?”

“What … friends?”

“Yeah, you know … write to each other and keep in touch.”

“Harry, we already are friends, and you damn well better write to me — I’m counting on it.” 

Someone cleared their voice and both men turned to see Hermione standing in the doorway.

“Harry, it’s ten o’clock,” she said softly.

“Okay.” He turned back and looked at Channon.

“Come here you.” Channon wrapped Harry in a big hug and whispered in his ear, “Take care of yourself.”

“I’ll try,” said Harry as he struggled to hold his emotions in check. “Good bye Channon.”

They broke apart and Harry walked quickly out of the office. Hermione gave Channon a little wave then turned and ran down the stairs after her upset friend.

~~~~~SH~~~~~

The carriages lined up in front of Hogwarts the next morning to shuttle the students down to Hogsmeade Station. The air was filled with noise and raucous as all the suitcases and belongings were sorted and loaded.

“Bye Harry,” called Dean and Seamus.

“Bye you guys,” Harry called back. “Have a great summer!”

“Bye Harry!”

He turned to see Ginny, Luna and Neville waving from a nearby carriage. “Bye you guys, have a great summer!”

Neville whispered something in Luna’s ear and then ran over to Harry.

“Listen, I just wanted to say…” he looked around awkwardly. “Well, I know you have to stay here and all, but I hope it won’t be too boring.”

“Don’t worry about me, I’ll find something to do.”

“I’ll send you some postcards,” offered Neville.

“From where? Where are you going?”

“Gran wants to travel this summer. I’m not sure where, she’s doing all the planning and…”

“Neville!” called Luna. "Hurry up, the carriage is leaving!”

“Guess I better go. Bye Harry!” he called back as he ran and jumped into the carriage.

“Well mate, I guess this is it,” said Ron as he and Hermione walked over to join their friend.

“Only for one month. You’re all coming for my birthday, remember?” returned Harry.

“I know, but … it seems like such a long time from now.”

“Ron, it will be here before you know it,” interjected Hermione just before she turned to Harry. “Give me a hug.”

He wrapped his arms around her and they hugged for a long while. Then she kissed Harry on the cheek and whispered in his ear, “If you need anything, just owl me and I’ll come.”

“Thanks Mione, but I think I’ll be okay.” He squeezed her then stepped away. “It sounds like Dumbledore and Snape have a lot planned for me this summer.”

“Don’t let them work you too hard, mate.”

“All right now,” Hagrid’s voice boomed over the surrounding noise. “Time ter git a goin.”

“Bye Ron, bye Mione.”

“Bye Harry, take care of yourself,” Hermione called back as they got into the last carriage.

“Here comes th’ Headmast’r Harry, he’ll be a takin yer back inter da castle.”

“Right, Hagrid. Thanks for staying with me.”

Dumbledore joined Harry and the two of them watched as Hagrid followed the last carriage down the road. A wave of sadness washed over Harry as it turned the corner and disappeared out of view.

“I guess that’s it,” he said forlornly.

Dumbledore looked about and smiled broadly. “Well my boy, are you ready for your summer to begin?”

“I suppose so,” Harry sighed.

“Splendid. Then follow me; I have a surprise for you.”

The Headmaster began walking briskly back toward the castle.

“A surprise? For me?”

“Yes. I thought it might be nice,” he turned to make sure that Harry had caught up with him, “for you to have a change of scenery this summer.”

“But I thought I was staying here?”

“You are indeed.”

They entered the castle and crossed the entry hall.

“That is why I have arranged a suite of rooms for you to occupy over the next two months.”

“A suite of rooms?”Harry asked incredulously.

“Yes,” Dumbledore confirmed. They started up the flight of stairs, “They’re located here on the second floor and are used primarily for visiting dignitaries.  I’ve had the elves bring your belongings down already.”

They walked to the end of a short hallway. “Here we are.”

Dumbledore stopped next to the full length portrait of a formidable looking witch standing in a woodland setting. She turned to face the stunned young man.

“Harry, I would like to introduce you to Diana Merrythought, Diana…this is Harry Potter.”

“Hallo Ma’am.” 

“Well, hello Harry. It’s nice to finally meet you.”

“Diana was a teacher here at Hogwarts the same time as I,” interjected Dumbledore. “She taught Defense.”

“Really” Harry turned back, surprised.

“I did indeed young man,” commented the woman in the portrait.

“I asked Diana if she would guard your suite of rooms.”

“Thank you, Sir” Harry said in earnest.

”Now,” Dumbledore continued, “you must choose a password.”

“Oh.” Harry looked around and bit his lip. “Um, how about … Skiving Snackboxes.”

“Splendid choice. But remember, you must change your password daily.”

“All right.”

“After you …” Dumbledore held out his hand and stepped back allowing Harry to move in closer to the portrait of Diana and offer the password.

“Skiving Snackboxes.”

The portrait swung open and Harry stepped into the room but he stopped immediately, shocked at the sight that greeted him.

The modest sized centrally located sitting room was painted in a light cream color with a fireplace on the far wall, banked by French doors which led out to a balcony.

“Your bedroom is here to the right.” Dumbledore had to squeeze in behind Harry who was still staring aghast at the beautiful sitting room.

“Harry?” Dumbledore called from the bedroom doorway.

“Sir?”

“The bedroom … would you like to see it?”

“Oh, yes Sir.” Harry hurried over and a repeat performance of what had just happened in the sitting room played out.

“This is beautiful sir.”

“I thought you might like it.”

Harry walked in and ran his hand along the burgundy silk bedspread covering a spacious four-poster bed.

“Your washroom is here off the bedroom. Now, let me show you the kitchen.”

“There’s a kitchen?” Harry asked as he followed the Headmaster across to the opposite side of the sitting room.

“Just a small one Harry, in case you want to prepare a little something.”

Harry looked around the small but well appointed kitchen.

“We will be having meals in the Great Hall, but you are free to eat here if you’d prefer. This is your vacation.”

“Thanks Sir, but who’s ‘we’?”

“Professor Flitwick and Professor Sprout and myself.”

“Oh,” Harry said a little disappointed. “I thought Professor Snape was going to train me this summer.”

“He will indeed, but first he is taking a short vacation.

“Oh,” Harry nodded.

“Now, there is much we need to discuss. I believe the elves left us refreshments on the balcony.”

Harry had to once again make an effort to keep up with the Headmaster as he strode out of the kitchen, across the sitting room and out the French doors.

Harry couldn’t believe his eyes when he stepped out onto the balcony and walked to the railing. They were situated on the east side of the castle, giving Harry a completely different view from what he usually saw from Gryffindor Tower.

There was a small table and two chairs on the balcony; the Headmaster had already taken a seat and was happily sipping from a tall glass of lemonade.

“Sir, thank you. This is all so beautiful.”

“You are welcome my boy.” Dumbledore set down his glass. “You’ve had quite a difficult time of it this year, and even though you must stay here within the wards, I very much want for you to have a relaxing and enjoyable vacation.

“I really appreciate that Sir. Thank you.”

“Now Harry, a few matters. First, we still need to keep an eye on you, just to be on the safe side.”

Harry sagged. “I understand.”

“It will be different however, in that the house elves will be your guards.”

“The house elves?”

“Yes. With the students gone, the elves will have quite a bit of time on their hands.”

“So I have to wait and make sure one of them…”

“No, no my boy. You can come and go as you like. You won’t even know they are watching you.”

“Oh. Okay.”

“Secondly, your training.” Dumbledore pulled a thin book out from his pocket and handed it to Harry.

He looked at the title and read it out loud, “Intelligences and Their Applications.” Harry got an expression on his face as though he’d just eaten a vomit flavored Bertie Botts Bean.

“Now Harry, do not distress. I agree the text is rather dry, but thankfully you only need to familiarize yourself with one specific area.” He tapped the book. “I have marked the specific chapter on which we will be concentrating.”

Harry noted the glowing blue pages and turned to them. “Strategy and Tactics,” he read the title then looked to Dumbledore. “What’s that?”

"That is what you will be learning this summer. Now, you only need to familiarize yourself with the terms involved. You and I will discuss the theory behind each, and then when Professor Snape returns, he will work with you in their practical application."

Harry turned to the table of contents and silently read all the chapter titles: Tactical Intelligence, Strategic Intelligence, Military Intelligence, Security Intelligence.

“Professor Snape knows all of this stuff?” he asked as he flipped through the many pages.

“He not only knows this stuff, as you call it, he uses this knowledge to survive.”

“You mean his pretending to be a Death Eater?”

“Severus is a spy, Harry. What he does is very dangerous; there are few individuals who could successfully pull it off.”

“Wow.” Harry looked out toward the Forbidden Forest. “I guess I never thought about everything that went into being a spy.”

They were silent for a moment.

“Sir, can I tell you something?”

“Of course.”

Harry set the book on the table. “Up until this year, I always thought Professor Snape was just a git.” He cringed and looked over to the Headmaster. “Sorry Sir.”

“That’s all right Harry, please continue.”

“But now I realize he has to do that as part of his…” Harry searched for the word.

“Façade, I believe is the word for which you are searching.”

Harry nodded his head.

“Severus is a unique and complicated individual,” Dumbledore continued, “There is much more to him than that façade.”

Harry smiled curiously and gave Dumbledore a sideways glance. “He has a funny side.”

“Most people miss it.”

“Yeah, at first I thought he was being mean but really it’s just … what do you call it?”

“A dry sense of humor,” Dumbledore filled in.

“Yeah, that’s it.” Harry gave a tiny chuckle.

“I am pleased that you and Severus have been able to put your differences behind you.” Dumbledore took a deep breath. “And now, back to your lessons. I thought we might hold our training sessions in the evening, just after supper. This will enable you to enjoy your days as you wish.”

“That sounds great.”

“We’ll start tomorrow evening. Do you have any questions?”

“Is it all right if I go down to the pitch?”

“Harry, you can go wherever you want, whenever you want. Provided you stay within the wards. And stay away from the Forbidden Forest.”

“Of course Sir.”

“I am certain that with over one hundred elves keeping an eye on you, you will be quite safe.”

“Is Dobby here this summer?”

Harry jumped as the little elf immediately appeared. “Harry Potter, Dobby is here!”

“See what I mean?” chuckled Dumbledore. “That will be all Dobby.”

His ears sagged disappointedly as he disappeared.

The Headmaster stood to leave. “I will let you get settled in.”

“Thanks again Sir,” Harry held out his hands and looked around the balcony, “for everything.”

Dumbledore paused and placed his hand on Harry’s shoulder. “You are most welcome. Now, try to relax and enjoy your summer.

“I will Sir. Thank you.”

~~~~~SH~~~~~

Harry spent the remainder of the morning getting to know his new lodgings. The couch was roomy and comfortable, the bed felt like a cloud, his bathroom had a large tub and shower and a window which looked out into the tops of some nearby trees, and the elves had filled the icebox with all kinds of yummy foods.

He fixed himself a sandwich and ate it out on his balcony as he started reading the chapter on Strategy and Tactics. Dumbledore was right — it was dry reading.

After lunch, Harry grabbed his broom, walked back out to the balcony and flew off down to the pitch. He hadn’t been there since the Quidditch final and it felt great to fly around and not worry about two guards always having to be by his side.

The afternoon grew quite warm so Harry took off his shirt and tucked it into his back pocket. He decided to fly over to the lake. When he got to its edge, he hovered in place for a minute as he kicked off his sneakers, then he flew out over the water and skimmed his toes along the surface.

“Woo hoo!” he called out. He felt so free. No worries, no guards, no homework— he was just having fun.

His escapades escalated as he attempted entire loops over the water and by the time he headed back up to the castle, he was soaked from head to toe and thoroughly happy. 

He took his time flying back, lazily looping all around the turrets and towers. He even stopped momentarily outside the Headmaster’s tower, tapping on the window and waving 'Hello' to Dumbledore.

Then Harry flew down to Hagrid’s hut but Hagrid wasn’t there, so he returned to his suite to clean up for dinner.

Harry took a long hot bath and then crawled into bed, naked.

He could never do this in the dorm with all his dorm-mates present. The silk sheets felt cool and slippery.

“Dobby.”

Of course Dobby instantly appeared. “Yes, Harry Potter?”

“I have a rule I want to make.”

Dobby’s ears perked upward.

“I don’t want you guys standing here in my bedroom. You can stand outside the door and make sure no one comes in, but when I’m in here I want some privacy. Okay?”

“Yes Harry Potter, Dobby will tell the others.” He smiled then disappeared.

Harry slid back down under the sheets and smiled as he started to please himself.

He thought about how wonderful it felt to drag his feet through the water. Then he closed his eyes and remembered his dream and the mysterious stranger — and how nice it had felt to kiss him.

It didn’t take long for Harry to finish. This was the first time since term started that he’d been able to do this lying down. He usually had to do it in the shower while trying very hard to be quiet.

He lay there, totally spent and blissfully happy. “I think this is gonna be a great summer.”

~~~~~SH~~~~~

Harry slept soundly that night and had a nice lie in the next morning. He again spent the day flying but this time he brought his book along with him to read down at the far end of the lake.

When he finished the chapter, he set the book aside and stared out across the water as words and phrases from the text swam in his thoughts. Threat Environment, vulnerability can be reduced but never eliminated, opportunity based on timing and knowledge of the target …

Dumbledore had explained the text as ‘dry reading’ but Harry could identify with every word, almost as if it had been written about him.

He had to get away, from these words and from the stifling feeling growing inside him.  

Harry quickly peeled off all his clothes, ran into the water and started to swim. He swam and he swam, leaving that book and all its unsettling words far behind him.

He finally climbed up on one of the boulders to rest and catch his breath. As he sat there, he stared down into the water and recalled a conversation he hadn’t even realized he’d heard.

It had taken place the night of his attempted kidnapping. He’d fallen asleep but awoke at the sound of familiar voices.

Harry needs to take on more responsibility in his own protection, Channon had said.

But he hasn’t reached majority yet, returned Albus.

He’s old enough to understand and he’s more than capable. Look what happened this afternoon. You can’t follow his every move Albus. He has to learn how to watch out for himself, countered Channon.

Harry kicked at the water. Channon was right, he thought to himself. I’m not a kid anymore and Dumbledore won’t always be there to protect me. I have to learn this stuff and I’m not going to let it freak me out.

~~~~~SH~~~~~

Dumbledore looked over at Harry’s empty plate. “Are you finished?”

“Yes Sir.”

“Splendid. Then let us adjourn for your first lesson.”

“Good night Professors,” Harry said as he and Dumbledore stood up to exit the Great Hall.

“Good night, Harry,” returned both Professors Sprout and Flitwick.

Just outside the doors, Harry turned to head toward the staircase but Dumbledore gently took a hold of the young man’s arm.

“It’s such a pleasant evening, I thought we might conduct your lesson outside.”

“Oh, that sounds great Sir.”

They walked across the entry hall and out the front doors.

“Why don’t we head towards our…” Dumbledore looked left and right, “oh, let’s go to the right.”

Harry chuckled at the Headmaster’s quirkiness.

“Were you able to fit any reading into your day?”

“I finished the chapter, Sir.”

“You did?” Dumbledore asked with surprise. “Splendid Harry, and what did you learn?”

“Well, I learned that when a risk exists…,” he turned to look at the Headmaster, “and I’m the risk … right?”

“That you are, my boy.”

“Anyway, when a risk exists, that’s when you need to use Security Intelligence.”

“Correct. Please continue.”

“And to have risk, you need …” Harry looked up at the peachy sky as he tried to remember the components, “vulnerability, impact and threat.”

“And what are the influencing factors for threat?”

“Intent, opportunity and capability.”

“I’m impressed, Harry. I hope you didn’t spend all day studying.”

“No Sir, not all day. I flew around some.”

“That’s good. Remember, this is your vacation.”

“Yes Sir.”

“Let’s see if we can apply these theories to your own situation.” Dumbledore paused to smell a Wisteria flower as they passed under a massive arbor which was completely engulfed by the vigorous vine.

“Now if you will, think about the three attacks upon you this past year.” Dumbledore gently placed his hand on Harry’s shoulder. “Or would that be too distressing?”

“Oh no Sir, I’m okay. But thanks for asking.” Harry considered the attack on the train, the incident with the chocolate eggs, and the attack in the locker room.

“With regards to threat, would you say the intent was the same in all three instances?”

Harry walked in silence as he compared the three attacks. “I don’t think it was.” He brushed the leaves of a large English Laurel hedge as they walked past it, “Goyle was mad about his father and just wanted to get back at me, but the other two … well, they were trying to kidnap me to take me to Voldemort.”

"And what about opportunity?"

"That's just it Sir,” Harry stopped and looked down at the ground. “They always seem to know where to find me.”

Dumbledore placed a supportive arm behind Harry. “I’m afraid you've hit the nail on the proverbial head." 

Harry didn’t respond.  

"You’re attackers all had opportunity, one of the components of threat. With the many people coming and going from the castle, this component is our ‘Achilles Heel’ so to speak in our efforts to protect you.”

Harry took a deep breath and pursed his lips as if he were about to whistle, but instead he let the air out slowly. He’d felt fine at the beginning of the conversation, but talking about these attacks had left him feeling a bit anxious.

Harry’s silent measures did not go unnoticed.

“I think that’s enough for our first lesson and may I say how extremely pleased with all that you’ve accomplished. And if you are willing, I have planned a little surprise.”

“Really?” Harry was grateful for the respite, “Another surprise?”

“Yes, it’s just over here.” They walked a little further and then ascended a short stone staircase that led to a small courtyard.

Harry stopped in his tracks and stared at the beautifully set table. “But we just had dinner,” was all he could manage to say.

“This isn’t dinner Harry, this is dessert!” Dumbledore steered Harry over to the small table set with creamy yellow linens and a crystal vase filled with apricot colored roses situated in the center. There was a small decanter of Spanish port, a plate of aged Stilton cheese, freshly sliced Macintosh apples and two bowls of mixed berry cobbler. 

“Have a seat, my boy.”

“Thank you, Sir.”

Dumbledore filled the two petite glasses with the port and placed one in front of Harry, who in turn stared at the small object, not knowing quite what to do.

“Are you sure this is okay, Sir?”

“Is what okay? asked Dumbledore as he cut off a chunk of cheese and placed it on a slice of apple.

“This is alcohol, right?”

“Oh Harry, you’ll hurt its feelings if you call it simply 'alcohol'.”

“Excuse me Sir, I don’t follow.”

“This,” the Headmaster picked up the small crystal goblet and nodded for Harry to do the same, “is a very old Tawny Port.” He leaned over and clinked his glass against Harry’s.

“To your good health, Harry.”

~~~~~SH~~~~~

A continent away, Severus Snape slipped through the cool waters of his lap pool. He reached the far end, turned and headed back enjoying the feel of the water as it licked against his skin.

When he reached the other end, he stood up and looked slowly around the patio. He’d been doing this all day; looking around and wondering to himself what was out of place. Something was missing.

He sighed then climbed out of the pool and ascended the stone steps which led to his private terrace. There, beside the sunken soaking pool was a bottle of Primotivo, and beside it stood a crystal goblet already filled.

Severus was annoyed with Giano for assuming, but damn it if the house elf hadn’t been correct.

He walked over, stepped down into the pool and sank languidly into the hot water. He reached for the goblet and sipped a mouthful of the rich red wine as he stared out across the valley below.

Severus loved coming back the villa. This was the home of his childhood, his beloved roses, and his state of the art laboratory. This place was where he belonged and even though he rarely spent time here, when he did return to the villa it was a respite were he could relax and isolate himself from the intensity of his life as a spy for the Order.

The villa had always fulfilled his every want — until now. Now he felt an emptiness he hadn’t felt in a very long time.

His childhood and teen years had been difficult for him; his parents would always argue and Severus never could seem to fit in with his peers. So he had isolated himself with work and later with duty.

But now they weren’t working and the dark shadows of the valley below seemed to echo the emptiness within him.

The memory of Harry’s love and protection that Severus had secretly guarded all these many months and which he’d hoped would be enough — was now somehow lacking.

He looked around once again and finally surrendered to the fact that he did indeed know what was missing from his beautiful home — what was missing from his life.

It was love, and damn it if this wasn’t all Harry’s fault.

~~~~~SH~~~~~ 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 
The End.
End Notes:
Thanks for reading. Please review. SHaria


This story archived at http://www.potionsandsnitches.org/fanfiction/viewstory.php?sid=2170