Eclipse of the Soul, the Sevitus version by SHaria
Summary: A chance encounter preludes the future path for Severus and Harry.
Categories: Teacher Snape > Trusted Mentor Snape Main Characters: .Snape and Harry (required), Arthur, Dumbledore, Ginny, Hagrid, Hedwig, Hermione, Luna, McGonagall, Molly, Neville, Original Character, Pomfrey, Remus, Ron, Shacklebolt, Sirius, Tonks, Voldemort
Snape Flavour: None
Genres: Angst, Drama
Media Type: None
Tags: Alternate Universe, Snape-meets-Dursleys
Takes Place: 6th summer
Warnings: Abusive Dursleys, Romance/Slash, Suicide Themes
Challenges: None
Series: None
Chapters: 40 Completed: Yes Word count: 135601 Read: 179805 Published: 31 May 2010 Updated: 21 Jul 2011
Chapter 20. Up For The Task by SHaria
Author's Notes:
Many developments are taking place and everyone has a job to do.
Warnings: sexual situation and profanity

12. ‘Up to the Task’

 

 

Bellatrix looked out the window and watched the dance of whitecaps as they whipped their way over the endless gray sea.

 The incessant wind constantly buffeted her corner room at the Stonesay Inn as it did the entire small town of Stonesay.

Her gaze drifted to the distant line of the horizon and she wished she could be anywhere but here.

Stonesay, part of the Orkney Island chain, was the last place on earth she ever wanted to go. Not only because of the sheer boredom of the place but also because it was too near that place.

Azkaban was a place she never ever planned to visit again.

But her lord had requested this of her and for him — she would do anything. Even haul her sweet ass up to this frigid part of the world for weeks on end to gather the information needed to achieve their goal.

She turned away from the little window with its dreary vista and walked over to sit at the small vanity where she studied her reflection in the mirror, tilting her head this way and that, trying to get the light from the low northern sun to reflect off of her blond hair.

“I don’t know if I like this color on me,” she mumbled to herself.

Giving up on her hair, she applied a tad bit more eye shadow and lipstick then went back to the small window to see if he might be coming. She was bored out of her mind and hated being in the middle of nowhere with nothing to do but fuck, sleep late and drink. The one windfall was that the guard she’d been seducing was well hung and he knew how to use his equipment.

She heard a soft knock on the door.

“Monique,” the man whispered, “it’s me. Can I come in?”

 “Mais oui.”

The door opened slowly and in slipped the tall, rugged guard. His cheeks were flushed from the cold and his eyes glowed with anticipation. He walked straight to her and wrapped his arms around her.

“Oh Monique,” they began to kiss. “I missed you so much.”

“Ahhh, mi amore,” sighed Bella.

“Merlin Monique, say that again. I love it when you speak French.”

Bellatrix happily obliged, knowing just what her verbal dance of words would inspire and by the time they’d finished fucking each other over and over, it was well past midnight. At this time of the year and at this latitude, the sun still lingered above the horizon and cast an annoying ray of light when all should be dark.

She flicked her wand to lower the black shade then snuggled close to her lover, feeling every delicious inch of his skin press up next to hers.

“You look tired, Cherie.” She stroked his hair, “It is difficult at work?”

“Oh baby, if you only knew.”

“Ce qui est mal?”

“I’m sorry, I don’t understand.”

“What is … how you say ... wrong?”

“Oh, you know I’m not supposed to talk about my work.”

She kissed him then slipped her tongue along the contours of  his ear. “Poor baby.”

Bella’s assignment had been to befriend and then Imperious as many guards as she could lay her hands, or other anatomy — on. But this had been such a dreary assignment, she’d decided to spice it up a bit and give herself a challenge.  

“I suppose I could tell you,” he wavered as she continued to cloud his senses.

“They’re going to replace our entire contingent of guards next month. So it’s been hell trying to get everything ready for the switch.”

“But why is that problem, mi amore?” She kissed and slid her way down his torso.

“Well, you see … there will only be a handful of guards there for one day,” he gasped when she slipped in between his legs, “on the first of next month.”

Her antics had his head spinning. “They wouldn’t leave you to be the only one, would they?” She started in on his most sensitive part.

He growled and grabbed at the sheets. “No, don’t worry. There will be five of us. It’ll be okay.”

She got him to come then gave a little chuckle.

~~~~~SH~~~~~

Severus stood outside the doorway to his villa with his travel bags next to him. He’d locked up his laboratory and said his goodbyes, all he needed to do now was to activate the international Portkey he was holding and he’d be on his way to Hogwarts.

But one thing was stopping him.

 

He stared out across the grove of olive trees to the opposite end where the old pergola stood. This pergola, the entryway to Severus’s rose garden was the support structure for his favorite rose, the massive climber named Souvenir de Madame Leonet Vionet.

It was mid July and Madame was in her glory. Her multitude of flowers completely engulfed the pergola, creating a floating sea of apricot and peach.

Now would be the perfect time to collect a sample of the rose and bring it to Harry. After all, he had promised he would do so that night after the overdose and attempted kidnapping. He could easily walk over and pick one of the flowers, then shrink it and bring it back with him.

But the mere thought of doing this filled him with trepidation.

Severus had been going round and round his entire time at the villa, debating with his himself on the subject of love and vulnerability, and whether or not he should allow them into his life. After all, he’d survived quite well all these years without either one, why should he need them now?

Then there was his reoccurring nightmare, and he was determined to find a way to get a handle on it.

Some aspects of the dream were always the same: the mist, his being awakened by the sound of screaming and then trying to find his Mum. And now there was another consistency; Harry always seemed to turn up.

As Severus had been thinking about his new resolve and his nightmare, he’d somehow managed to cross the orchard and now found himself standing under the pergola, staring at the fattest, largest, most colorful of all Madame’s flowers. 

He raised his hand to pick it but then stopped. He lowered his hand but continued to stare at the rose.

I will not be weak!"

He turned determinately and, leaving the rose behind, walked back up to the house and activated the Portkey. 

~~~~~SH~~~~~

Careful where he stepped, lest he fall through one of the creaky floor boards, Lucius Malfoy walked methodically as he inspected the interior of a small shack located on the southern outskirts of Aberdeen. He wore his leather gloves and made certain not to touch anything.

The cabin was old and dank, and every square inch of the place was covered with a solid layer of musty dirt.

“How ever did you find this ... hovel?

“It’s perfect, don’t you think?” responded Gibbon. “Come, look outside.”

The two Death Eaters stepped outside and Gibbon waited anxiously as Malfoy had a look around. The shrubs and trees were so overgrown that it was impossible to see the building from the road.

“You’ve checked the surrounding area?”asked Malfoy.

“Of course I have. I wouldn’t have sent for you if I didn’t think it would work.”

Lucius had another look around. The shack and its remote hidden location were exactly what they needed, but Lucius had to be certain. His reputation, his very life and that of his family was dependant on his success in accomplishing his part of this mission.

“I had better check for myself. Wait here,” Lucius commanded as he Apparated away.

He Apparated all around the nearby area and saw nothing but dense growth. It was completely screened off from the distant road which led to the nearby town. Gibbon was right; this shack would indeed serve their needs quite nicely.

“So, was I right? I am, aren’t I? I told you so,” Gibbon went on when Lucius returned.

“Yes, yes this will work just fine. Clean it up, cast a ward around it and then start on your next assigned area. I’ll report back to the Dark Lord and inform him of our progress.”

~~~~~SH~~~~~

Albus scooped out a spoonful of his soft boiled egg as he casually turned the page of the Daily Prophet. He was enjoying a leisurely breakfast and half listening to the conversation taking place across the table when the sound of approaching footsteps caused him to look up from the paper.

“Why Severus, you’ve returned.” Dumbledore’s greeting sounded more like an announcement.

“Snape old man,” added Filius, “how was London?”

“You simply must come see the new crop of aconite,” Pamona appeared ready to escort him to the greenhouses that very second.

“Pamona, Filius,” Severus acknowledged them both but then turned and spoke in a hushed voice to Dumbledore, “Albus, may I speak with you privately?”

Not waiting for a response, Severus headed toward the antechamber.

“What’s the matter?” asked Dumbledore as he entered the antechamber and closed the door behind him.

“Nothing really, it’s simply that…” he grimaced back in the direction of the Great Hall.

Dumbledore chuckled. “Yes, Filius and Pamona can be a bit zealous.”

“Actually — ” he lifted his left forearm slightly.

“The Dark Mark?”

“It’s only an ache. The Dark Lord knew I was returning today and he is simply reminding me that my first priority is to see to his needs.” Severus brushed his hair back. “He’s probably running low on Restorative Potion.”

“How long do you expect to be away?”

“Only one day. Is Harry ready? Has he read the text?”

“He has indeed.”

“Good, because I don’t want to waste my time if he isn’t prepared.”

It was subtle, but the old wizard noted a harshness in the younger man’s voice. “Is something the matter?”

“Not at all,” he responded a bit too quickly.

“Are you having second thoughts about working with him?”

“I didn’t say that,” Severus answered defensively. “At any rate, I need to leave. Will you please inform Harry to meet me outside the Room of Requirement at seven o’clock tomorrow evening?”

“Of course.”

“Were you able to make the special modifications?” asked Severus.

“Yes, the castle was quite receptive,” Dumbledore answered enthusiastically. “I must say, I’d love to join you the two of you, if you could manage to fit me into one of your scenarios.”

“I’m sure I can arrange something. Now if you’ll excuse me, I really need to get going. Please give my regards to Pamona and Filius … I’ll just slip out through the rose garden.” He began walking toward the French doors.

“Are you going to see Harry?” asked Dumbledore.

Misinterpreting the Headmaster’s question, Severus turned back, “I told you —  I must be going.”

Albus watched with silent concern as he watched Severus make his way toward the rear of the room.

~~~~~SH~~~~~

Once he stepped outside, Severus leaned back against the doors and released a sigh as he stared out at the rose garden and thought about how he already missed the quiet solitude of his villa.

He started to walk down the steps but froze when Harry stood up from between two rows of rose bushes.

The young wizard startled a moment when he saw his professor standing there at the top of the stairs but then walked straight toward Snape. “Sir, you’re back!”

“What are you doing?”

Harry stopped. “What do you mean?”

Severus tried again. “What are you doing out here?”

“Oh, I’m just working on the roses.”

“You?”

“Why are you surprised? I told you I like roses,” he said defensively then added before Snape could get a word in, “I always pruned my aunt’s roses when I lived at the Dursleys'.” Harry looked back at the sea of color then added, “I missed it. So, I asked the Headmaster if I could maintain these roses during vacation.”

Severus now cast a critical eye on the rose bushes. They did seem to be thriving and were apparently pruned correctly.

“Why aren’t you using your wand?” he asked as he pointed to the pair of pruning shears Harry was holding.

“Well, you see Sir … I learned to prune roses the Muggle way.” He looked down at the simple hand tool then continued, “I tried using my wand to do a couple of prunings, but I didn’t like the way it felt, so I went back to doing it the Muggle way.”

Intrigued, Severus descended the remaining steps, “May I?” he gestured toward the shears and Harry handed them to him.

As Severus examined the odd Muggle device, the fact that he’d planned to keep his distance from the young wizard and that he would only interact with Harry with regards to curriculum seemed to slip his mind.

“I’ve read about these…'pruning shears' as you call them.” He turned the shears over and over, having never before seen a pair let alone having held one. “But I can’t imagine you’d prefer using these over using a wand.”

“You know why?”

Severus thought that he was about to delve into some practical application. “Why?”

“They’re more…” Harry stared over to the roses, “relaxing.”

Up went the eyebrows, “Pruning?”

“Pruning the Muggle way … Sir.”

The older man now inspected the shears a little more closely.

“I could show you,” Harry offered.

Severus found the idea of learning this Muggle skill curiously appealing, “Perhaps someday I will take you up on your offer,” he handed back the shears. “But right now, I must leave; I am being summoned.”The green eyes snapped up with a start.

“Don’t start again, Harry. You know that…”

“Yes Sir, I know,” Harry interrupted. “Defense comes from observations of activity,” he quoted a line from the text book he’d been reading and then leveled a knowing look at his professor. “That’s your job Sir, to observe the activity of Voldemort.”

“Don't say his name.”

“And mine is to kill him … someday.”

Even though Severus expected Harry to have gained a more insightful and informed perspective into his situation, to actually hear him speak in such a clinical manner was unexpected.  

Severus nodded his approval and the two wizards now looked at each other in a new light, not just as professor and student, but as comrades in a common goal.

“Good luck to you, Sir,” Harry offered.

“I’ll see you tomorrow evening.” He said and stepped around Harry and crossed the terrace.  

When he’d arrived at Hogwarts that morning, Severus had been resolute in his determination to not allow emotions or Harry for that matter, disrupt his life. But after only a couple of hours at the school, or more specifically — after only a few minutes in the company of one Harry Potter, Severus quickly realized that accomplishing this goal was going to be more than he’d expected.     

~~~~~SH~~~~~

The End.
End Notes:
I hope you enjoyed the chapter. Please take a moment to share your thoughts. SHaria


This story archived at http://www.potionsandsnitches.org/fanfiction/viewstory.php?sid=2170