Eclipse of the Soul, the Sevitus version by SHaria
Summary: A chance encounter preludes the future path for Severus and Harry.
Categories: Teacher Snape > Trusted Mentor Snape Main Characters: .Snape and Harry (required), Arthur, Dumbledore, Ginny, Hagrid, Hedwig, Hermione, Luna, McGonagall, Molly, Neville, Original Character, Pomfrey, Remus, Ron, Shacklebolt, Sirius, Tonks, Voldemort
Snape Flavour: None
Genres: Angst, Drama
Media Type: None
Tags: Alternate Universe, Snape-meets-Dursleys
Takes Place: 6th summer
Warnings: Abusive Dursleys, Romance/Slash, Suicide Themes
Challenges: None
Series: None
Chapters: 40 Completed: Yes Word count: 135601 Read: 179804 Published: 31 May 2010 Updated: 21 Jul 2011
Chapter 21. Birthday Gifts by SHaria
Author's Notes:
It's my birthday today but you guys get the gift: Here is chapter 21. Harry learns a lot, reaches his majority and both he and Severus take a big step forward.
Warning: a little bit of profanity.

21. Birthday Gifts

 

 

Harry rounded the corner of the seventh floor corridor and paused at the sight of Snape standing in front of the Room of Requirement. “Am I late, Sir?”

“Not at all; I simply came early to prepare the room for your practical.”

As Harry approached at a quickened pace, Severus became aware of that feeling he would sometimes experience when around the teen: the feeling he’d come to realize meant that Harry was nervous.

“Are you nervous?”

“No, Sir,” he lied.

Deciding to let the issue pass, Snape moved on to their lesson, “Very well then … This evening we will begin to implement the tactics and strategies discussed in the text. The skills will be presented in a manner that will enable you to build upon each one previously learned.”

“Thank you,” Harry said a tad too quickly. Despite everything he’d read about strategy and tactics — he was nervous, and he was having a difficult time hiding the fact.

“Tonight’s practical involves ascertaining hazards and possible foes when entering a new environment. Your task is to choose an optimal strategic position and to take the appropriate actions that will safeguard yourself against attack.”

Harry’s eyes grew wide. “You mean like the mock battle exercise I had last semester?”

Up went Snape’s eyebrow, “The ‘mock battle’ as you call it, was an example of an obvious attack and defense. In these scenarios your attacker and your countermeasures will be more covert.”

“Yes Sir.”

“If any spell is successfully cast upon you, it will result in only a mild Stinging hex. In like manner, if you touch a Portkey, you will only feel a minor sting. These measures are in place only to make you aware of the fact that you were not successful in a particular encounter.”

“Okay.” Harry may have said ‘okay’ but his nervousness escalated now that he realized there were going to be faux enemies and Portkeys awaiting him. Then he remembered who he was standing in front of and that Snape was an expert.

“Sir, before we begin— if you were to give me any advice, what would it be?”

The request took Severus off guard, and he appreciated the fact that the young wizard had the presence of mind to ask him. “I would advise you to remain dispassionate. Try to operate from an objective point of view.”

Harry looked nervously toward the door.

Severus didn’t plan to do this, it just sort of happened, but he reached over and put his hand on Harry’s shoulder. “It will be all right. Even if you make a mistake, you will not be hurt. You need only use defensive spells, but if you do feel pressured to take offensive measures…”

“I’ll just use a Stinging hex.” He took a quick breath and blew it out, “I’m ready, Sir.”

Severus let go and they both turned to face the Room of Requirement.

~~~~~SH~~~~~

When the doors opened, they stepped into what appeared to be a tavern, complete with a bar and bartender, several rickety small wooden tables and a scattering of patrons all of whom looked up from their drinks when the two wizards entered the room.

Harry looked around in amazement. He had no idea the Room of Requirement could do something like this. It was as if they’d been transported to an entirely different place.

“Sir, how did you do this?”

Severus leaned over and whispered, “It’s called magic.”

Harry smirked at the quip and was about to press the matter, but Snape continued.

“Instead of talking to me, what should you be doing at this very moment?”

Thoroughly rebuffed, Harry turned back to scan the room and ascertain the most strategic place to sit; he then pointed to the little table over on the left. Snape nodded his approval.

They walked over, sat down at the small round table and positioned themselves so that they both faced the room.

“Did you two come in here for the hell of it, or are you going to order some drinks?” barked the bartender from behind the bar.

Harry turned to Snape. “Sir, who are these people? Are they real?”

The look he received told him he’d just gone off target — again.

Harry cleared his throat and tried sitting a bit taller in his chair. “Butterbeer,” he called across the room.

“Scotch,” ordered Snape. Then he asked softly, “What is your impression of the patrons seated at the other tables?”

“They all look a bit dodgy, all except for that old woman over there.”

Severus flicked a glance at the woman wearing a tattered pink tweed jacket, her badly dyed hair stuck out from under a hat that had seen better days.

“Why would you assume that?  For all you know she could be a Death Eater under the influence of Pollyjuice Potion.”

Their drinks arrived and Harry started to reach for his mug of Butterbeer — but stopped. He instead reached into his pocket and pulled out the Sneakoscope Ron had given him back in third year. When he held it near the drink, it lit up and began whirling around in a circle.

Aghast, Harry looked to Snape who in turn was staring in like manner at the juvenile Dark Detector. None the less, he nodded his approval and then incanted ‘Evanesco’.

The Portkey disappeared. “We’ll have another,” Snape called over to the bartender.

The ‘safe’ Butterbeer arrived and as the two men drank, Snape quizzed Harry on his assessment of the room, its patrons, their positioning, the means of entry and exit, and so on.

As they were finishing their drinks, the woman in the pink tweed jacket got up from where she’d been sitting and started to walk toward the door.

Harry watched her every step, just waiting for her to pull a wand on him. When she placed her hand on the knob, he was hit in his left midsection by a Stinging Hex.

Hissing from the pain, he turned quickly in response and called out, “Expelliarmus.”

Just as the bartender’s wand flew into the air, Harry was hit again by another Stinging Hex, but this time it came from his right and slamed solidly into his shoulder.

Grimacing, he turned back toward the door and this time he wordlessly incanted Expelliarmus while at the same time, he threw up a strong Shield Charm around himself and Snape.

Harry kept his sights on the pink clad witch and the bartender as he waited for someone else to mount an attack — but no one did.

Severus called out, “That will be all for today.”

At his words, the tavern disappeared as well as the bartender and patrons, everyone except the witch in the pink tweed jacket who after a few moments casually waved her hand in an arcing motion to remove the glamour, and there stood none other than Albus Dumbledore.

“You can drop the shield now Harry,” Severus suggested calmly.

Amazed, Harry did so then proceeded to rub his sore shoulder and stared from Snape to Dumbledore, who was walking toward them with a big smile on his face.

“Well done my boy, well done!” He waited for Harry to drop his shield then sat down and joined them at the little table; he conjured two shot glasses and then pulled out a silver flask from a pocket in his rose colored robe.

Dumbledore poured a tiny bit of the amber liquid into one of the glasses and offered it to Harry. He then poured a glass for himself and freshened Severus’s drink.

“So Severus, what do you think of Harry’s performance this evening?” asked Dumbledore.

“I think we should ask him,” Severus responded and they both turned to look at the still-shocked young wizard.

Trying to regroup, Harry took a tiny sip of the Scotch which burned his throat when he swallowed, but at this point— he didn’t care. “I guess I failed.”

“You did no such thing!” countered Dumbledore.

“But I got hit — twice!”

“And what did you learn from that?” asked Snape.

Harry thought a moment then drew in a sudden breath as he realized what Snape and Dumbledore had done.

“You two did that misdirection tactic thing… didn’t you,” he leveled accusingly.

“That we did,” responded Dumbledore with a wink, “and I believe I made for a very effective distraction. Did you like the tweed jacket?”

Harry stared dumbfounded.

“You see,” interjected Snape, “how these strategic theories can be put into play?”

“I do now … and I fell for it.” Harry held up his hand as Dumbledore was about to placate him once again. “It’s okay Sir, I learned something from this practical," then he turned to look at Snape, "and I won’t fall for it again.”

Snape raised his glass to Harry then took a small sip of his scotch.

~~~~~SH~~~~

The next day the two wizards went all around Hogwarts, visiting the places Harry would typically go during a school day: the Great Hall, the Quidditch Pitch and changing room, along the hallways and in the classrooms. They discussed the strategic advantages and disadvantages of each spot and how the teen could best position himself to ensure his safety.

For the following practical, Snape and Harry were back at the Room of Requirement, only this time the room had transformed itself into a recreation of Knockturn Alley. They stood in a shadowy alcove. It was dark and a heavy mist filled the air, covering the cobblestones and buildings with wet.  “For your practical tonight,” Snape spoke softly, “you are to make your way down the alley.”“All right.” Harry shivered from the cold and he could see his warm breath as it hit the chilly night air.  

“You are to proceed alone. I will watch your progress from a vantage point two blocks away.

His announcement took Harry by surprise.“Do you feel you ready for this, or would you prefer I stay by your side?” asked Snape coolly.

It was obvious from the tone of Snape’s voice that he was challenging Harry. And even though the thought of a Knockturn Alley with awaiting foes behind every door was intimidating, there was no way he was about to ask for help now.

“No Sir. Thank you, but I want to give it a try.”

“Very well then, I will see you shortly.” Snape partly opened the old wooden door he was standing in front of, “Good luck.” Then he turned and slipped out of sight.

Fuck! Harry tensed, pressed himself flat against the wet stone wall and pulled out his wand. Calm down, Potter and for God’s sake don’t freak out and have a surge!

He cast a Shield charm around himself then took a couple of deep breaths to chase off his nerves. Okay now, all of this is meant to intimidate you, so don’t let it.

He leaned forward, peered down the Alley and tried to come up with a quick plan of action. Think, he told himself. Think of what you’ve learned.

It took a few moments but he finally came up with a plan. Pulling himself up straight, he carefully cast both a Geminio and then a Disillusionment charm upon himself and then stepped out into the alley.

As the real Harry blended into the stone of the walls and the road, the fake Harry began to walk down Knockturn Alley.

Staying close to the buildings, Harry’s image followed him down the alley and sure enough after only a matter of moments; a dark clad figure appeared from a dark doorway and leveled a Stinging hex at the Harry image who continued on his way, completely unfazed by the assault.In turn, the real Harry shot his own Stinging hex to the foe who then fell back into the doorway.

It worked! Harry thought in relief.He and his image continued down the alley with the attack scenario playing out every thirty feet or so.

As they neared the end of the second block, another attacker appeared and cast a hex upon the fake Harry. But this time, when the real Harry countered, a different foe appeared and cast a number of Stinging hexes in the general vicinity where Harry’s hex had originated.

He was hit on his cheek. The pain was extraordinary, causing him to lose his balance and fall over a pile of crates. Landing face first, he heard the sharp crack of his nose as it broke.

It was all Harry could do not to pass out from the compounded pain of both injuries. He struggled to his feet and tried as best he could just to get to the end of the block, leaving the fake Harry to saunter along and be hit time and time again by Stinging hexes.

When he reached the end, Harry fell back against one of the buildings and slid down to sit upon the wet cobblestones. He ended the Geminio spell but kept the Disillusionment in place.

After a few silent moments, Snape emerged from a dark alcove and stepped hesitantly out into full view. “Harry?” His call was greeted by silence. “Harry?” His voice was more intent this time, “Where are you?”

When Harry dropped the spell, Severus turned and looked down at the young wizard sitting upon the ground with blood covering his face and hand.

“I take it you caused the mishap with the pile of crates?”

Not daring to nod his head or try to speak; Harry instead raised his index finger in acknowledgement.

Severus walked over and knelt down. “Let me see.”

Harry lowered his hand to reveal his now crooked, bloody nose.“Would you like me to fix it, or would you prefer Madame Pomfrey?”

Harry’s green eyes grew wide and he pointed directly to Snape.

“All right, then… Hold still, this might sting.” Severus aimed his wand, “Episkey.”

“Owwwwwww!” Harry grimaced and tried to move away.

“Just a moment,” Severus placed his hand gently upon Harry’s chest and then cast, “Tergeo,” to sop up all the blood.“I suggest you sit still for a moment.”

“I don’t think I could do much else.” He closed his eyes and leaned his head back against the wall of the building. “I guess I failed.”

Severus wasn’t surprised at the young man’s assessment. “Why are you always so hard on yourself? I thought your choice of tactics was rather clever.”

“How can you say that? Look where I wound up.”

Snape held his hands slightly out to his sides. “Is this or is this not the end of the alley?”

The teen glanced around. “I suppose it is,” he said in a quiet voice.

“You did succeed, Harry. Granted, a bit worse for the ware … but you did succeed.”

Then Severus indulged a very rare smile which put Harry at ease and gave him a sense of reassurance he’d never known before.

~~~~~SH~~~~~

All that week, Severus recreated several places that were familiar to him, places that would provide unique situations for his protégé to practice his new skills.

Harry was amazed to learn that Snape was so well traveled and that he knew so much about all these different places. Of all the places they visited that week, and even though he wouldn't know this fact for a long time — his favorite place turned out to be one of Severus's favorites. 

It was the Pontevecchio in Florence, Italy, and Severus had planned this outing as part of a birthday gift for Harry.

By the time the doors opened and the two wizards walked out onto the ancient bridge, the sun had already begun to set.

Harry had never seen anything like the Pontevecchio, what with its many stores lining both sides of the bridge.

They began to walk along the expanse, stopping in each shop to examine the wares being offered for sale. It was all so fascinating, Harry wished he could just relax and enjoy the adventure, but he knew he had to stay on his guard.

It took almost two hours to cross the bridge, during which time there were five attempted attacks. Harry succeeded in defending himself each time using only Shield charms and Expelliarmus. He was tired by the time they reached the other end yet pleased with his success, but not more so than his professor.

Severus had realized over the week just how much effort Harry had put into learning the principles of Strategy and Tactics. And he was also slowly succumbing to the fact that this young man had somehow wormed his way into a corner of his heart.

“You did very well tonight.”

“Thank you, Sir,” Harry sighed.

“Would you care for some dinner?”

The emerald eyes grew wide, “What … here?”

“Yes … here,” answered Severus.

“Truth is Sir, I’d love to relax and just enjoy this place. I’ve never seen anything like it.”

Severus smiled. “Then let’s go eat.”

They took an outside table at a little tratoria on the far end of the bridge. Severus ordered for both of them as Harry relaxed and enjoyed listening to his professor speak Italian.

“I didn’t know you spoke Italian, Sir.”

“I spent my summers in Italy, when I was a child.”

“Here? In Florence?”

Severus got a faraway look on his face, “A little further north, but still in Tuscany.”

As they dined on pasta, Harry and Severus finally had a chance to relax and talk about their mutual interests, Severus’s travels, and how one went about performing daily tasks and basically living life without the use of magic.

Before they knew it, it was almost midnight. Soon Harry would turn seventeen and reach his majority.

Severus placed a small box upon the table. “I know it’s a bit premature but, Happy Birthday.”

Surprised, Harry looked from the small box then over to his professor.

Severus thought this might be his undoing, but he was determined to say it. “I want you to know how very pleased I am with your accomplishments this past week, and...” He drew a fortifying breath, “I enjoyed our time together.”   

Harry couldn’t believe what he’d just heard. “Sir, I don’t know what to say.”

Severus misinterperated Harry's words. “I apologize Harry, I suppose…”

“No Sir, what I meant was — Thank you. Thank you for taking me to all these places and for taking the time to teach me and advise me about strategy.”

The moment was still and quiet as Severus relaxed his guard. “You’re welcome.”

A silent moment ensued. “Are you going to open your present?”

“Oh yeah,” Harry smiled as he reached for the gift.

Inside the little box was an odd, silver — thing. “What is it, Sir?”

“That, Harry, is a Dark Detector. A tasteful and discreet Dark Detector.”

Harry chuckled, “I guess the Sneakoscope is a bit much.”

“A bit,” added Severus. He looked at Harry’s face basked in the light from the full moon. “There is something else I’d like to say.”

“Yes, Sir?”

“It’s more of a request actually.”

Harry couldn’t think what Snape might want or need from him. “What Sir? Did I do something wrong?”

“No, not at all.” Severus blew out a long, slow breath. “Last semester, I could never quite understand the ease between you and Professor Jackson.”

“We were friends, we still are,” Harry said the words easily.

“I’d appreciate if …” he stopped. Severus had wanted to say that he hoped Harry might consider him a friend, but he couldn’t manage to say the words.

“What Sir?”

“I know we’ve had our history, but if you ever need …” he tipped his head then continued, “someone to turn to …” Severus looked down, feeling uncomfortably vulnerable.

Harry had seen this side of Snape only a couple times before, and each time had been under extreme circumstances. But tonight Snape had knowingly reached out and placed himself in a vulnerable position.

“Thank you Sir. That means a lot.”

“Well, I suppose we should be getting back.” Severus started to end the replication.

“No wait Sir! Could we please just walk back across the bridge without any attacks?”

Severus smiled, “All right Harry. It’s your birthday.”

They got up and strolled back across the bridge and when they reached the other end, the clock in the Palazzo Vecchio began to chime. When it chimed twelve times Harry stopped and smiled quietly to himself.

“Happy Birthday, Harry.”  Severus had barely said the words when the smile on Harry’s face vanished and was replaced with a curious expression.

“What is it?”

“I don’t know. I feel …” Then Harry realized what was about to happen. “Oh no.” His breaths started coming faster and faster. “Get back, Sir. Get back!”

“Why? What’s wrong?”

Harry’s curious expression grew into a look of terror. “Get away from me! It’s happening again! Hurry!”

Severus realized what Harry was referring to and he backed away then called out, “That is all for today!”

The recreation ended and the two wizards were left standing in the middle of the large, now empty room.

Harry began to tremble and a rumbling noise could be heard as the entire castle began to shake.

Then all of a sudden, Harry’s body stiffened and he arched backwards. Severus watched helplessly as Harry’s entire body was engulfed in a blinding white light. But instead of this energy shooting out in all directions, it seemed to be enveloping the young man.

Snape moved as close as he could and even though the episode lasted only seconds, to him it felt like an eternity.

Slowly the rumbling quieted and the light energy began to draw itself inside of Harry until it was completely gone and all was quiet and still.

Severus approached cautiously. “Harry?”

Miraculously, he was still standing; his body was now relaxed and he opened his eyes.

“Can you hear me?” Severus reached out and tentatively touched Harry’s shoulder.

He was terribly pale and he seemed to be in a daze. Then he began to look around the room as if he were seeing everything for the first time.

Severus stepped even closer and now placed a hand on each shoulder. “Are you all right?” he spoke softly.  

Harry’s gaze drifted back and he looked up into the ebony eyes of his professor. Then he lifted his hand and pressed it gently against Severus’s chest — right over his heart.

For Severus, it was as if time had stopped. Harry was touching him as no one ever had, and he thought he might collapse from the sheer gentleness of the touch.

At that very moment, Severus wanted nothing more than to embrace Harry and hold onto him as the son he’d never had. But all of a sudden — Harry began to stagger. His gaze intensified and it was if was looking straight into Snape’s very soul.

“Sev…” Harry whispered just as his eyes closed and he collapsed in Severus’s arms.

~~~~~SH~~~~~

The End.
End Notes:
Okay, now it's my turn for a gift: please leave a review and share your thoughts regarding the latest developments.
Hugs, SHaria


This story archived at http://www.potionsandsnitches.org/fanfiction/viewstory.php?sid=2170