Eclipse of the Soul, the Sevitus version by SHaria
Summary: A chance encounter preludes the future path for Severus and Harry.
Categories: Teacher Snape > Trusted Mentor Snape Main Characters: .Snape and Harry (required), Arthur, Dumbledore, Ginny, Hagrid, Hedwig, Hermione, Luna, McGonagall, Molly, Neville, Original Character, Pomfrey, Remus, Ron, Shacklebolt, Sirius, Tonks, Voldemort
Snape Flavour: None
Genres: Angst, Drama
Media Type: None
Tags: Alternate Universe, Snape-meets-Dursleys
Takes Place: 6th summer
Warnings: Abusive Dursleys, Romance/Slash, Suicide Themes
Challenges: None
Series: None
Chapters: 40 Completed: Yes Word count: 135601 Read: 179771 Published: 31 May 2010 Updated: 21 Jul 2011
Chapter 31 by SHaria
Author's Notes:
Sorry for the delay in posting but it took longer to update my other story then I thought it would. Here is chapter 31. I had hoped to get all the way to Sev and Harry's Chirstmas, but that's gonna take another chapter. Hope you enjoy this one. The majority of this chapter was beta'd by the fabulous Steppenwolf.

 

All eyes lighted upon Severus and watched as he crossed the Headmaster's office.

 

"Minister," Severus acknowledged Scrimgeour then nodded to the others assembled before he reached the tea cart and surveyed the selection. "The Healer has finished his assessment."

 

"And?" asked Dumbledore.

 

Ceylon sounded good this afternoon, "The children are all fine." He added a squeeze of lemon to the tea now housed in a damask cup and turned to face those select members of the Ministry and Order who had gathered to discuss the unbelievable events of the previous day. "What were the reports from the other houses?"  

 

"All clear," reported Minerva.

 

Severus took a seat next to her. "And Priestly?" He asked with a cool tone. Even though he knew the wizard was as much a victim as Harry, he was still livid with the man.  

 

"We were just about to get to that," replied Scrimgeour. "Kingsley, would you please read the latest report?"

 

"Yes Minister." The ebony wizard removed the parchment from his leather portfolio and took a moment to scan the document. "The Healers from St. Mungos state that Solomon is still obtunded and will need further treatments before he can be interrogated."

 

"That's it?" sputtered Gawain Robards, Head of the Auror department.

 

"Yes," confirmed Kingsley.

 

"But has he spoken?" Robards pressed. "Did he at least say who did this to him?"

 

"What part of the word ‘obtunded' don't you understand," replied Moody in a gruff voice.

 

"Please Allister," Remus chastised softly and then turned his attention back to Kingsley. "Do they offer an estimate as to how long it will take to remove the curse?"

 

Shacklebolt looked over the document once again. "The curse has already been removed." He shook his head as he continued to stare at the bad news. "Apparently, whoever cast the curse was rather inept. There is some residual damage ..." He looked up and met the gazes of everyone who was listening intently. "He will heal, but it is going to take time."

 

"Dear me," sympathized Minerva.

 

Robards stood up and began to pace about the room. "All right then ... Priestly can't tell us anything, and you say that everyone else here at the castle has been cleared?"

 

"Yes Gawain," Dumbledore confirmed. "All of the children and staff members have been checked. No one else is cursed."

 

"Then can someone please!" he yelled, "tell me how one of my top Aurors, working at Hogwarts, was Imperiused?"

 

~~~~~SH~~~~~

 

Ron and Hermione barely managed to get off the staircase before it started to swing away in the opposite direction from the Hospital Wing. As they turned down the corridor, they saw the Auror whom had been assigned by the Ministry to protect Harry until the investigation was completed.

 

They slowed their pace as they approached the imposing official standing in front of the doors and staring down at them with a Spartan expression. "No one may enter without a pass," he barked.

 

"But we were told it was okay for Harry to have visitors now," Hermione pleaded.

 

"No pass - no entry."

 

"But ..." she was about to continue her entreaty when the doors opened and out stepped Madame Pomfrey.

 

"It's all right young man," she handed an official looking note to the guard. "I just received word that the investigation is now complete."

 

The guard read the note, "Very well, they may enter. But it says here I am to remain at my post to provide security as you see fit."

 

"That will be fine," Madame Pomfrey patted his arm then turned to the anxious Gryffindors. "I think there's someone who would very much like to see you two."

 

~~~~~SH~~~~~

 

"Outposts? What outpost?" asked Robards.

 

"The outpost used to travel to and from the Fastness," replied Severus.

 

"What in Merlin's name are you talking about Snape?"

 

"I detailed all of this information in my report." Severus looked questioningly to Dumbledore, "You did pass it on, didn't you?"

 

"He did," interjected Scrimgeour. "I simply haven't finished my review. Your report is in a safe in my office."

 

"That's all well and fine Minister," snapped the exasperated Auror. "But considering what has happened, don't you think the time has come to share this information with the rest of us?"

 

Scrimgeour opened his mouth to speak but Severus interceded, "Perhaps it would be best if I simply relay the details of what I have observed."

 

"Thank you Snape," agreed the Minister, "that probably would be best."

 

Severus sighed and set down his cup then began the lengthy description of the protocol involved in traveling to and from the Dark Lord's new headquarters.

 

He explained that now, when responding to the call of the Dark Mark, he is led to a shack where he must supply a password to the guard on duty. He in turn is then handed a Portkey which transports him to the reception room at the Fastness.

 

"The Fastness?" Robards leaned forward in his chair. "What Fastness?"

 

Snape looked to Dumbledore then to the Minister. They both nodded their heads for him to proceed.

 

He drew a deep breath, "Of what I have seen, the Fastness is situated a top a large outcropping of rock. Around this outcropping runs a powerful river that cuts through a dense forest."

 

"Do you have any idea where this forest is located?" asked Minerva.

 

He shook his head. "The potions laboratory is situated on the east side of the second level. There is one window from which I can view a short stretch of the river. Straight across, all I can see are trees." 

 

"Can you tell what kind of trees they are?" Arthur offered excitedly. "Perhaps that might help determine the location."

 

His obvious suggestion was greeted with a cold black stare.

 

"I suppose you already thought of that," Arthur responded softly.

 

"Pinus sylvestris and Picea abies," Severus replied in a flat voice.

 

"Unfortunately," Dumbledore chimed in lightly to diffuse the tension, "those two genus and species account for the majority of trees in the forests of Northern Europe."

 

"Please continue," redirected Shacklebolt.

 

Severus went on to explain that guards were positioned throughout the building itself and that one was only allowed access to the specific area needed to accomplish their task, etc. Once completed, one was to leave - immediately.

 

He then addressed Dumbledore, "Do you still have that scaled drawing I gave to you?" 

 

"It's in my desk."

 

"Perhaps if you conjured duplicates and passed them around to the others."

 

"Good idea."

 

"A scaled drawing of what?" asked Moody as Dumbledore proceeded to his desk.

 

"Of the Fastness."

 

"Really?" Arthur's eyes brightened as his copy came floating to him. He grabbed it and began to inspect the drawing, as did everyone else.

 

 "But there's hardly anything here!" Robards criticized as he stared at his copy.

 

"Yes, it is incomplete; I am only allowed access to the hallways and corridors I must travel through to reach the laboratory."

 

"What is this large room, here on the first floor?" asked Moody as he tipped his head and looked at the map with his whirling artificial eye.

 

"It's the chamber where the Dark Lord holds assemblies. Leading south is the hallway to the reception room. Here," Severus pointed to the large central staircase, "is the stairway that accesses the upper floors."

 

"How many levels are there?" asked Tonks.

 

"I am only allowed access to the second level, specifically, the east wing of the second level. But from my observation, there are only three levels."

 

"That's it?" Robards asked, his voice a little too loud. "All you can offer is this incomplete drawing and talk of shacks, rivers and trees?"

 

Severus donned his expressionless mask and leveled an unreadable glare at the brazen Auror.

 

"I'd like to see you try to and do as much!" snapped Molly. She held a dear spot in her heart for Severus ever since he had come to Arthur's rescue two years previous to straighten out the calamity with the Dursleys.

 

"Gawain, that's enough," Dumbledore chastised. "Molly, please calm down." He paused a moment as the intensity of the moment diffused. "I understand that we are all on edge, but to attack each other serves no purpose!"

 

"Severus," Remus spoke the name as gently as possible, never-the-less, the spy stiffened in response. "Might you have an opinion with regards to the shack?"

 

Severus could barely stand having the werewolf speak to him. Though it had been many years, he still harbored resentment for the teenage prank that had nearly cost him his life. But of every question and request posed thus-far, this was the first truly insightful comment he'd heard.

 

"It is my perception," Severus answered as he pointedly did not look at Remus, "that there are many of these outposts. And depending upon where the Death Eater is summoned from, determines which outpost he Apparates to."  

 

Some members gasped at what his statement implied.

 

"So there's one near Hogwarts," surmised Robards.

 

Severus stared coldly at the Auror and nodded.

 

"Which means there are always Death Eaters in the vicinity?" Asked Minerva.

 

Severus' expression softened as he glanced to her and nodded his confirmation.

 

"And that's where Harry would have been taken, if it hadn't been for the wards," Molly trembled at the thought.

 

So did Severus.

 

~~~~~SH~~~~~

 

"Stop being a dolt and let me help you," Ron admonished as he watched his best friend limp back from the bathroom.

 

"No, I can do it myself," retorted Harry, frustrated by the fact that he was in the infirmary - again; he was determined to walk back to his bed under his own power.

 

"Well, at least let me help get you back into bed."

 

The injured young wizard didn't have much of an option in that department, what with his arm still bound and him being so sore that he could barely move.

 

The day had been a complete blur due to the strong potion Madame Pomfrey had given him that morning immediately after his breakfast and right before she started to repair the torn muscles, tendons and ligaments surrounding his recently mended collarbone.

 

He had slept through the entire painful process and well into the afternoon and had only recently awoke to find Hermione and Ron there at his bedside.

 

Harry plopped his head down on the pillow, exhausted from his excursion to the bathroom. "God I hate being messed up."

 

Hermione pulled the covers over him, "Did Madame Pomfrey say how long you'll have to stay in here?"

 

"Just a couple of days," he said through a sigh. "At least I'm not missing any classes ..." Harry stopped midsentence as he just realized something. "Wait a minute - what day is it?"

 

"It's Saturday Harry," Hermione stated matter-of-factly, "yesterday was Friday."

 

He smirked at her. "That's not what I meant. Why are you two still here? You should be on the Hogwarts Express, halfway to London by now."

 

"We all had to stay and get checked out," said Ron as he stretched out his long legs and put his feet up on the bed. "You know ... to make sure none of us had been Imperiused."

 

"And? What did they find?"

 

"Nothing," Hermione answered as she scanned the stack of papers she held. "Everyone is fine."

 

"Well, that's good I guess." He glanced over, "What's all of that?"

 

"She looked up and beamed, "This is my application to Oxford. I have to submit it by the beginning of the year."

 

Harry's eyes grew wide, "Oxford? I didn't know you were planning on going there."

 

"Yes, their magical division has a fabulous Ancient Runes program. I'm so excited."

 

"And," chimed Ron, "since we're all going to be in London going to school, maybe we can share a flat."

 

Harry felt as though a train had barreled on by and left him standing on the platform. "I've been so busy with my training, I hadn't thought about where I'd stay during Auror training."

 

He gasped, "Wait a minute ... when do we have to get our applications in?"

 

"Not until June. We have plenty of time."

 

Just then they heard the Infirmary doors open followed by the sound of familiar voices.

 

"Is that your Mum and Dad?" asked Harry

 

"Yep, they're here for some meeting. They probably just want to see how you're doing."

 

"Harry dear!" Mrs. Weasley extolled as she came into view from around the privacy screen.

 

"Hi Mrs.Weasley," Harry tried to sound enthusiastic but he his voice sounded thin.  

 

She gave him a gentle hug and kissed him on his forehead. "How are you feeling?"

 

"Fine," he lied.

 

"Severus told us of your plans for Christmas." She leaned close and spoke softly to him, "You know I would have liked to have taken care of you ..."

 

"It sounds like you're gonna have a full house."

 

 "Oh Harry," she sighed with regret.

 

"Don't worry Mrs. Weasley, I'll be fine," he said softly.

 

Tears filled her eyes as she brushed back his fringe. "Are you certain?"

 

He smiled and nodded. "Severus will take good care of me."

 

"You're hogging him all to yourself!" Mr. Weasley declared from the foot of the bed.

 

Molly inquired about his injuries and what treatments Madame Pomfrey had performed. Where did he hurt? She had to check his bandages -

 

"Mum! Give the poor man a break," Ron came to his friend's defense.

 

"Here Dear," Arthur summoned a chair for her. "Why don't you sit down then we can all have a nice chat."

 

"So how did the meeting go, Dad?"

 

Mr. Weasley leaned back in his chair, "You know I can't reveal any details, but there was an interesting topic that came up after the meeting."

 

"What was that, Mr. Wesley?" asked Hermione.

 

"The subject of your new Defense instructor."

 

Harry's eyes grew wide with excitement, "Is Channon coming back?"

 

"No, no. It isn't Channon, but I believe you'll be pleased when you hear who it is."

 

The three teens stared expectantly at Mr. Weasley as he smiled and tapped his fingers on his knees.

 

"Arthur, stop toying with them and tell them who it is," Mrs. Weasley reprimanded him.

 

"Oh, very well." He waited just a moment longer to prolong their anticipation. "You're new Defense instructor is going to be ... Remus Lupin!"

 

It was a good thing Harry was lying down, otherwise he would have fallen over.

 

Hermione and Ron sounded their happiness and approval over the news.

 

"Oh, this is wonderful," proclaimed Hermione. "I love Professor Lupin."

 

"Yeah," added Ron. "He's the best!"

 

"Harry dear," asked Mrs. Weasley worriedly, "what's wrong? All the color has drained from your face."

 

Harry's breathing had picked up and the room felt like it was spinning. "Uh, I just feel a little dizzy. Must be that potion from this morning."

 

"Arthur, go get Poppy."

 

"No, I'm fine." Harry put his hand to his to his head in an attempt to stop the spinning.

 

"Here dear, drink some water." Mrs. Weasley held the water glass to his lips.

 

He took a few sips then closed his eyes. "I guess it's just been a long day."

 

"But you slept through most of it," Ron's objection earned him glares from his mother and Hermione.

 

Arthur returned moments later with the Mediwitch who then promptly suggested that it was time for everyone to leave so that Harry could get some rest.

 

"Well mate, I guess this is it," Ron said as he stood up to leave. "Have a great trip and good luck with Snape."

 

"Professor Snape!" Mr. Weasley corrected his son.

 

"Sorry Dad. Professor Snape," Ron said as he rolled his eyes.

 

"Come on everyone, let's get a move on."

 

The group of visitors gathered their things, said their Good Byes and wished Harry a Happy Christmas.

 

He listened to their voices soften as they made their way down the length of the ward and when the door clicked closed, he sighed.

 

"You need to rest now if you hope to Portkey to Italy tomorrow," Madame Pomfrey chided the teen as she waved her wand over him.

 

"Portkey?"

 

"Well of course; how else do you expect to get there?"

 

"I thought we'd Apparate."

 

"Over that distance? Merlin's sake no."

 

"Oh."

 

"I can understand if you're anxious about Port-keying, considering what you've just been through."

 

"I'm not anxious," he said defensively though even just the thought of a Portkey had his heart racing.

 

Madame Pomfrey watched him wipe a bead of sweat from his brow. "Of course you're not," she placated then held out a vial of Dreamless Sleep.

 

What am I gonna do? Harry thought as he stared at the purple draught. I can't tell Severus that I'm afraid to Portkey and besides, I really want to go to the villa.

 

"Just drink it. Perhaps things will seem better in the morning."

 

"Okay," he sighed, not knowing what else to do.

 

~~~~~SH~~~~~

 

The unfamiliar chirrup of a small bird nudged Harry from his deep sleep.

 

He nestled beneath sheets that felt exceptionally soft. In fact whatever he was lying on was so comfortable, it felt as though he was floating on a cloud.

 

He stayed like that for quite a while, drifting along in his sleepy haze, listening to the bird and feeling the softness of the cool sheets until a warm breeze brushed across his face.

 

Huh?

 

There it was again.

 

But it's freezing cold outside.

 

The song of another bird joined the one that he'd been listening to and it caused Harry come fully awake.

 

He sat up and was greeted by an unexpected sight.

 

There, across from the massive bed he was lying on was a set of French doors that led to some sort of courtyard. They were open and beyond them he could see all kinds of beautiful and unfamiliar plants.

 

Some had large glossy green leaves; others had purple flowers and were climbing up the sides of walls, there were some that had orange flowers- the shape of which reminded him of a bird's head, perched atop tall stalks.

 

Harry went to pull back the covers but stopped when Severus appeared in the doorway.

 

"I thought I heard a noise," he said easily.

 

"Sev! What is this place? Where are we?"

 

"Relax Harry. This is my villa. You're in Tuscany."

 

 ~~~~~SH~~~~~

The End.
End Notes:
Please take a moment to share your thoughts. Next chapter: Christmas In Tuscany. Hugs, SHaria


This story archived at http://www.potionsandsnitches.org/fanfiction/viewstory.php?sid=2170