March Out of the Darkness by Lady Lanera
Summary: Plagued by the events from last June, Severus Snape starts his new position as Headmaster of Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry. Not all are glad about his new job, though. One such person is seventh-year Harry Potter who comes to Hogwarts for one specific reason, to kill Severus Snape. However, things don't necessarily go the way young Harry planned. 2010 Challenge Fest entry. Response to the Headmaster Snape Challenge by Jan_AQ.
Categories: Snape Equal Status to Harry > Comrades Snape and Harry Main Characters: .Snape and Harry (required), Ginny, Sinistra
Snape Flavour: None
Genres: General
Media Type: None
Tags: None
Takes Place: 9 - Post Epilogue (middle aged Harry)
Warnings: Profanity, Violence
Prompts: Headmaster Snape
Challenges: Headmaster Snape
Series: Dark Light
Chapters: 19 Completed: Yes Word count: 25224 Read: 88197 Published: 11 Jul 2010 Updated: 11 Jul 2010
Aftermath by Lady Lanera

"I don't care!" yelled a student, a few days later. "I'm getting out of here before he gets me."

"Oh, honestly, it's not as if Snape is just going to kill all of us."

"He killed the Carrows. It's just a matter of time before he gets to us next. I mean, you all heard about Sinistra. If it hadn't been for that house elf, she would have been next."

"We don't know anything, though."

"Oh, yeah, well, who else in this castle is a known Death Eater? I don't care how I do it, but I'm leaving this damn castle today." The Hufflepuff student then angrily stormed towards the Entrance Hall, which a few corridors away from where he and his friends were. The little group followed him in attempts to pull their friend back, but they met with little success. That was until they reached the Entrance Hall and found the silver wicked-looking bars covering the front doors. "We're trapped. He trapped us here. Oh god…we're going to die!"

The sunlight that had been shining in the huge windows then vanished as the heavy shutters slammed against the windows. One by one, the light darkened, and the candles in the corridors flickered on. The Hufflepuffs gulped before looking at each other. They all had the same thought. Snape was going to kill them.

"It's starting," Professor McGonagall whispered as she stood next to one of the Hufflepuffs. She couldn't believe that the time had come so quickly. She wasn't ready. She wasn't ready for any of it. She couldn't believe that Albus would ask this of her. Since the start of the term, she had followed every one of his orders that he left her. However, this last order was the hardest one she knew she'd ever have to follow. The order was simple enough. She was to protect Severus at all costs on Halloween. Sadly, she didn't know if she could follow that order. Snape had killed the man she loved. He had murdered him in cold blood in the worst way that was imaginable. She wasn't sure if she could find it in her heart to listen and follow Albus's last instruction to her. Protect a murderer, why, it was absurd to consider even. How could Albus ask this of her? She closed her eyes as she drew in a breath. She would follow his order as she had always done, hoping and praying it was the right decision.

"Go to your common rooms," the Heads of Houses ordered as they stared at the locked doors. It didn't take long before the students followed their orders. Soon only the professors remained.

"He locked us in here to die," Professor Sprout said before taking a shuddering breath.

"We don't know that, Pomona," McGonagall replied. She then sighed. "Albus left me with instructions for this day."

"He knew this would happen?" Flitwick squeaked outraged.

"I don't know, but it looks like it." She closed her eyes and drew in another deep breath. "He wished for us to trust his judgment and the faith he placed in Severus." She then glanced at her coworkers. "Albus expects—expected us to protect Severus as we would have done for him."

"That's absurd!" several of the professors yelled.

"I know, but I'm going to do it anyway. Albus asked me to do this, and I'm going to do it for him." She then released a slow breath before closing her eyes again. "I know what he is, but for some reason Albus wanted us to protect him, and I'm going to do just that." Quietly, she turned and walked away from the locked doors. She could hear the other professors trying their magic against the bars, but from the sound of disappointment, she knew the attempts failed.

"All staff and students, report to the Great Hall," the cold voice echoed through the loudspeaker.

"It's the end. He's going to kill us all."

McGonagall sighed and felt a soft smile make its way to her face. It wouldn't be long before she was with Albus again. Then she'd smack him as hard as she could for putting her through this again. She knew when she first met him that he was manipulative man, but she never knew the depths he'd go. In the back of her mind, she did wonder what his reason was for using her like this, but she knew she didn't want to know the answer ever.

Snape had killed Amycus. Every adult knew that once Hagrid brought the defense professor's body into the castle. She clearly could identify Snape's trademark curses he used on the man. McGonagall guessed that Snape hadn't killed Alecto, but she wondered if he had ordered Bellatrix to do his dirty work for him, though. Once a murderer then was always a murderer in her book.

As she walked into the Great Hall, McGonagall held her head up high. If it truly were the end, then she'd go out taking a piece of the bastard who took Albus from her. She quickly took note, though, that Snape wasn't in the Great Hall. However, the majority of the students were, and the fear was evident in their faces. She didn't blame them. She'd be scared too if she weren't so experienced.

When the huge doors to the Great Hall opened again, McGonagall felt her heart leap into her throat. She briskly walked over to her younger coworker who was limping towards them. She gently wrapped an arm around the witch's back and helped her towards a table.

"Thank you, Minerva," the younger witch said with a slight rasp.

"Rest your voice, Aurora," McGonagall replied softly before glancing at Perseus who had accompanied the Astronomy professor. "Perseus, go stand with the rest of the students over there," she said to the Ravenclaw. He nodded curtly and quietly walked over to a crowd of her Gryffindor students.

"What is this all about? Do you know?" asked Horace Slughorn, the current Head of Slytherin.

"I haven't a clue, Horace," McGonagall replied.

"Someone said that they saw Harry the other day near here," a student walking past said.

The professors instantly glanced at each other. If what the student said was true, then they were all in trouble. It wouldn't be long before Voldemort stalked in, and who knew what would happen then? Each professor discreetly touched the side of their robes where he or she kept his or her wand. When they were all certain that they had accounted for their wands, they glanced at one another. When the time was right, they'd be ready to defend Hogwarts to the death.

"He killed him, Minerva," the younger witch said softly.

"I know, Aurora. I know."

"He killed him because of me. Severus killed Amycus because of me."

McGonagall closed her eyes. She had thought Aurora was talking about Albus, but when she learned it was Amycus, she felt her grief stricken even worse. They were all hurting. They all had been hurting since Albus's death last June. This entire term had been a reminder of that event, and it was maddening to say the least. She held the younger witch in her arms and sighed. It was all for Albus.

The End.


This story archived at http://www.potionsandsnitches.org/fanfiction/viewstory.php?sid=2203