March Out of the Darkness by Lady Lanera
Summary: Plagued by the events from last June, Severus Snape starts his new position as Headmaster of Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry. Not all are glad about his new job, though. One such person is seventh-year Harry Potter who comes to Hogwarts for one specific reason, to kill Severus Snape. However, things don't necessarily go the way young Harry planned. 2010 Challenge Fest entry. Response to the Headmaster Snape Challenge by Jan_AQ.
Categories: Snape Equal Status to Harry > Comrades Snape and Harry Main Characters: .Snape and Harry (required), Ginny, Sinistra
Snape Flavour: None
Genres: General
Media Type: None
Tags: None
Takes Place: 9 - Post Epilogue (middle aged Harry)
Warnings: Profanity, Violence
Prompts: Headmaster Snape
Challenges: Headmaster Snape
Series: Dark Light
Chapters: 19 Completed: Yes Word count: 25224 Read: 88214 Published: 11 Jul 2010 Updated: 11 Jul 2010
Still Taking Orders by Lady Lanera

A lanky, hook-nosed pale man drew in a shaky breath as he paced the large office of his former mentor. The man's black robes hung loosely about his body. He had lost a tremendous amount of weight since June…since that night on the Astronomy Tower…since he took the life of the man whom he loved like a father. He shook his head angrily before glancing at the large grandfather clock. He didn't have time to waste reminiscing about that. He pushed his emotions back and became the cold unfeeling man that he always acted to be.

It wouldn't be long now before the students arrived. The man wouldn't delude himself into thinking that there wouldn't be controversy concerning his rise to power. In fact, several of the staff had threatened to quit, but for some reason or another stuck around. Well, that was all except the Muggle Studies professor, but she unfortunately met an untimely fate. He could still hear his former coworker's screams as she begged and pleaded for her life before she succumbed to her death.

The man's stomach lurched again. There was a storm brewing underneath his barriers, and he knew it wouldn't be long before he broke down. For the sake of the school, he needed to hold on just a little longer, though. He inhaled again breathing in the fresh air in attempts to calm himself.

A few seconds later, the man heard a soft pop next to him. His dark unfeeling eyes glanced towards the small pathetic creature. He motioned for the house elf to speak. He nearly groaned when the house elf squeaked in fright. The creatures acted as if he was to kill them at any moment. Looking back on it now, he guessed he could understand why they would think that. He had killed Dumbledore, their former master and Headmaster of Hogwarts.

"Headmaster Snape, sir, Harry Potter has come to Hogwarts, sir," the small creature reported.

Severus Snape felt himself tremble slightly at the words. He could only imagine how badly the boy wanted to kill him, which he didn't blame Harry in the slightest. He would do the same if he had been Harry and watched his professor murder a man that he cared for deeply. However, Snape knew he had to repair their relationship. All of the Wizarding World depended on them working together if they were to have a fighting chance against Voldemort.

"I see," Snape replied quietly. "As soon as the boy enters the castle, bring him to me." The house elf nodded slowly before snapping back out of the Headmaster's office. Snape then glanced at the portrait where Albus Dumbledore sat staring at him. "I take it you wish me not to inform the boy of your ingenious plan?" he asked sarcastically.

"What do you believe, Severus?" Dumbledore responded with a raised eyebrow.

"And if the boy kills me, then what, Albus?"

"You give him more credit than he deserves, Severus. I do not believe he has the heart to kill you. At least not yet," Dumbledore added.

"Wonderful," Snape drawled before sighing. He roughly rubbed his face as he groaned. "You wish me to make him a killer."

"No, my boy, I wish you to make him a survivor."

"You do realize that your staff hates me?"

"But they follow you, my boy."

"Only because they believe I will kill them or the students otherwise," Snape retorted.

"There is no need to be uneasy."

"Says a man who's dead and still giving me orders," Snape growled.

"Remember your promise to me, Severus."

"I remember it quite clearly, Albus," Snape snapped. "I won't allow any harm to come to them. However, it seems that I am conveniently left out of that promise."

"Do not mistake me for not caring about you. I do. However, I also trust you, and you know it."

"No, what I know is that you love to use me to your advantage."

"Ah, touché, Severus," the portrait Dumbledore replied. He then sighed. "You have left them in the pensieve?" Snape nodded once. "Excellent, Severus, it shall work beautifully then."

"Oh, yes, but of course sharing my memories like that with a boy who can't keep his nose out of things would make you happy." Snape then whirled around angrily. "I'm done talking to you, Albus."

"Do try not to hex Harry, Severus, no matter what he does." A loud groan resounded then.

The End.


This story archived at http://www.potionsandsnitches.org/fanfiction/viewstory.php?sid=2203