March Out of the Darkness by Lady Lanera
Summary: Plagued by the events from last June, Severus Snape starts his new position as Headmaster of Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry. Not all are glad about his new job, though. One such person is seventh-year Harry Potter who comes to Hogwarts for one specific reason, to kill Severus Snape. However, things don't necessarily go the way young Harry planned. 2010 Challenge Fest entry. Response to the Headmaster Snape Challenge by Jan_AQ.
Categories: Snape Equal Status to Harry > Comrades Snape and Harry Main Characters: .Snape and Harry (required), Ginny, Sinistra
Snape Flavour: None
Genres: General
Media Type: None
Tags: None
Takes Place: 9 - Post Epilogue (middle aged Harry)
Warnings: Profanity, Violence
Prompts: Headmaster Snape
Challenges: Headmaster Snape
Series: Dark Light
Chapters: 19 Completed: Yes Word count: 25224 Read: 88252 Published: 11 Jul 2010 Updated: 11 Jul 2010
Lovely Luna by Lady Lanera

Harry's first night in the Ravenclaw dormitory met without incident. He had seen Luna, and she had seen him. However, she only smiled that knowing smile of hers before walking to her dorm. This morning, however, was the first time they spoke. He had been sitting on the couch when she walked up behind him and sat down.

"Your name is Perseus, isn't it?" Luna said softly as she glanced at him.

"Yes," Harry replied curtly.

"Hmm…a rather fitting name, I suppose," she responded with her eyes twinkling.

"How do you figure?"

"Perseus killed the Gorgon Medusa, a person who had snakes for hair. He did it with only a sword, a shield that protected him, and a cap that made him invisible. It just sounds like something familiar to me, I suppose."

"You were friends with that Potter kid, weren't you?"

"Oh, yes, I still am. Even though, he isn't here this term. You see, he's trying to defeat his own Medusa with only a wand, protection placed on him by his mother, and Invisibility cloak. I do wish him good luck, but then again…he isn't here to hear it."

Harry chuckled before glancing at the ground. That instantly gave away that she knew he was. He then sighed and looked back at her. She was just as lovely and strange as the first time he met her.

"So what's your name?"

"Luna Lovegood, but most people just call me Luna."

"Well, it's nice to meet you, Luna."

"Oh, yes, and you too, Perseus. I always do love to meet new people." Luna then stood up. "Would you like to accompany me to breakfast, Perseus? It is rather interesting at breakfast these days." She only gave him a sad smile before walking towards the door. Harry quickly followed after.

"Why do you say that?" he asked. He didn't get a response until they were in the Great Hall.

"Well, the professors just hate your uncle as do the rest of the students," Luna said sitting.

"I see," Harry responded quietly. "What are your thoughts, Luna?"

"I believe the Headmaster had a reason for what he did, and I believe that we will learn it by the end of the year. Headmaster Dumbledore was always wise and told Harry and us daily that he trusted Professor Snape." She then sighed before glancing towards the empty chair. "I do feel bad for the Headmaster, though. It must be terribly lonely up there to know that you are hated by all."

"Yeah," Harry said. He then glanced at Luna. "So who are the professors?" he asked motioning with his head. He already had the pleasure of meeting Amycus, but not the other.

"Oh, well, they're part of His followers. The woman is Professor Alecto Carrow. She took the Muggle Studies post, which is now compulsory for us. It is rather strange that they'd do that, but perhaps we will learn something new." Luna then glanced towards the burly wizard. "And that's Professor Amycus Carrow, her brother. He teaches Defense." She then went through the line of professors, but Harry knew that was just for show.

Harry's old Head of House, Professor Minerva McGonagall looked as strict as she always did. She wore her long crimson robes with the large pin of Gryffindor attached to her outer robes. Her hair was in a tight bun, and her eyes darted between the tables as if searching for something…or someone.

Professor Pomona Sprout, Head of Hufflepuff, was rather sullen while she silently picked at her food. The witch looked like she had lost a bit of weight over the summer vacation also. Harry could definitely relate with that.

Professor Horace Slughorn, Head of Slytherin, looked the most unsettled of all the Heads of Houses. He wore his emerald robes, but he kept brushing his hand on them as if to brush away lint or something. Harry also noticed that Slughorn kept rubbing his arm and glancing towards the other end of the staff table towards Professor Sinistra. Harry chalked his actions up to remorse or guilt, but of what he couldn't be sure.

Professor Septima Vector, the Arithmancy professor, paid the least attention of all professors. With her light-brown hair tied back into a ponytail, she quietly ate her breakfast. She didn't look around or spoke to anyone. She focused entirely on her breakfast.

Harry's eyes quickly darted over to Professor Sinistra. The marks to her face still were there. However, the swelling had come down at least. She, however, sat next to Amycus Carrow, which Harry guessed wasn't by her choice. A part of Harry wished she would just hex Carrow to oblivion.

Harry then moved down the line at the other professors before noticing that Hagrid wasn't there. He remembered the half-giant reiterating at Dumbledore's funeral that he'd be there. Where was Hagrid now, though? He was just about to ask Luna when the door to the Great Hall opened. He instantly felt relief wash over him as Hagrid walked towards the staff table. The only staff member missing was Snape, but Harry could definitely understand why Snape wasn't there.

"So what's your first class, Perseus?" Luna asked quietly.

"Oh, um…Transfigurations," Harry responded quickly.

"That's a fun class," Luna replied before returning to her breakfast.

"Yeah," Harry muttered as he grabbed an apple.

"Hey, Luna, have a good summer?"

Harry's stomach clenched at the sound of the voice of an angel. In fact, the angel was his own ex-girlfriend, Ginny Weasley. He glanced at the young Gryffindor, but said nothing. This entire year would be torture having to be away from her, but so close.

"It was well, yes, thank you," answered Luna. "And yours, Ginny?"

"Could have been better," Ginny replied before sitting next to Luna. She glanced towards Harry, but paid no other attention to him. "Still haven't heard from Harry," she quietly admitted. "I'm getting worried, Luna. What if…?"

"I'm sure you'll have a letter by the end of today, Ginny," Luna said with a look at Harry.

"Um…sorry to interrupt, but I need to talk to my sister and her friend alone," Ron Weasley spoke as he walked up behind Harry. Harry nearly jumped at the sound of his best friend's voice. He then glanced at his spoon and caught Hermione's reflection next to Ron. His heart panged at the sight.

"As you wish," Harry replied before getting up from the table. He caught Hermione's look at him, but neither he nor Hermione said anything to one another. He then left to go to his first class.

The End.


This story archived at http://www.potionsandsnitches.org/fanfiction/viewstory.php?sid=2203