March Out of the Darkness by Lady Lanera
Summary: Plagued by the events from last June, Severus Snape starts his new position as Headmaster of Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry. Not all are glad about his new job, though. One such person is seventh-year Harry Potter who comes to Hogwarts for one specific reason, to kill Severus Snape. However, things don't necessarily go the way young Harry planned. 2010 Challenge Fest entry. Response to the Headmaster Snape Challenge by Jan_AQ.
Categories: Snape Equal Status to Harry > Comrades Snape and Harry Main Characters: .Snape and Harry (required), Ginny, Sinistra
Snape Flavour: None
Genres: General
Media Type: None
Tags: None
Takes Place: 9 - Post Epilogue (middle aged Harry)
Warnings: Profanity, Violence
Prompts: Headmaster Snape
Challenges: Headmaster Snape
Series: Dark Light
Chapters: 19 Completed: Yes Word count: 25224 Read: 88206 Published: 11 Jul 2010 Updated: 11 Jul 2010
Mysteries and Owls by Lady Lanera
You're Snape's kid, aren't you?" Amycus Carrow grunted as he swaggered up to Harry.

"No, sir," Harry forced himself to reply politely. "I am his nephew, Perseus Hadean Prince."

"Ah, you look just like he did, you know, except those eyes…"

Harry felt uneasy suddenly under the man's scrutiny. However, Harry held his ground. When Carrow moved away, Harry nearly breathed a sigh of relief. That had been too close.

"All you little brats need to learn defense this year. Guess what, though, losers?" Carrow sneered. "I ain't teaching that crap to you. You all are learning some Dark Arts 'cause there is a war going on, you know." Carrow then chuckled loudly before spitting on the floor. "For my first demonstration, I've asked my lovely assistant. Oh, lovely assistant, where are you?"

Harry's blood boiled when he saw Professor Sinistra. He knew she wasn't willingly participating. She couldn't have been willingly. His eyes then noticed the glassines in her eyes. That bastard is controlling her, Harry growled in his head. I have to tell Snape. Harry then stood up, which was entirely the wrong thing to do.

"What's wrong, Prince? Oh, oh, wait…you want a try first, don't you? Yeah, I bet you do. Just like your uncle, you are, Prince," Carrow drawled. "All right, come up here then."

Harry felt sick to his stomach instantly. However, he slowly walked to the front of the classroom. He felt his classmates' eyes on him. Many of them were glaring, but some were staring at him horrified. Harry, on the other hand, was staring at Professor Sinistra.

"All right, so we're all gonna learn a particularly nasty curse today. Raise your wand, Prince." Harry did as he told and raised his newly altered wand that appeared to be ebony. "When I give you the signal, say the word 'Valron,' understood?" Harry nodded curtly. "All right, Prince, go ahead, give the little—Oh, come to see what we're doing, are we, Headmaster?"

"Something like that," responded Snape in a soft voice as he walked into the room. His dark eyes glanced around before coming to rest on Harry. "What spell are you teaching the class?"

"Valron," Carrow replied stupidly with a grin.

"Perhaps you did not hear me last night, Professor," Snape said darkly.

"Yeah, well, there's a war going on, Headmaster."

"And teaching a spell such as that to a bunch of seventeen-year-olds is truly a waste of time. However, if you are that insistent on teaching the class that particular spell, perhaps I should use it on you." Carrow started frantically to try to speak, but Snape had already casted the spell nonverbally. The DADA professor withered in agony on the floor before finally coming to a rest in a heap of bloody clothes. Snape then glanced at the class of frightened Ravenclaws before glancing at Sinistra. "Don't you have a lesson to be preparing for, Professor Sinistra?" It didn't take long before she started to blink rapidly and finally stare at him.

"I…yes," Professor Sinistra replied glancing towards Carrow. "Yes, of course, Headmaster," she said before walking silently out of the class.

Snape then glanced down at the bloody heap that once was Amycus Carrow. He scoffed softly before addressing the class. "Since it appears that your professor is incapacitated, perhaps it would be best if you returned to your common rooms." The students quickly filed out, including Harry.

"It doesn't make any sense," Hermione mumbled as she and Ron walked next to Harry.

Harry's curiosity instantly took over so he followed them as best as he could. However, he noticed as the crowds thinned that it was starting to become rather noticeable. He would have to come up with a plan soon.

"Thank you for offering to walk me to my next class, Perseus," a soft voice said to his right. Harry glanced at the person and smiled at Luna. Leave it to her to come and provide him with just the right excuse at just the right time.

"Anytime, Luna," Harry responded politely. She only inclined her head and continued to walk.

"I would think that it makes perfect sense, though, Hermione," Luna said speaking to the Gryffindor couple. She smiled pleasantly at Ron and Hermione. "I know you weren't talking to me, but the Wrackspurts said that I should interject for them."

"It's all right, Luna," Hermione responded while glancing at Harry. "Who's your friend?"

"Perseus Prince," Harry quickly replied. He instantly caught the flash of anger in his best friend's face before she shook her head and looked away. "Guess I deserve that," Harry muttered to himself loud enough for her to hear. When her eyes darted back to him, he laughed awkwardly. "You dislike me because of him, don't you?"

"It's, well, I'm sorry, but if you were here last year, you would understand."

"I don't believe I need to have been here last year to understand how everyone believes that he killed your previous headmaster." Harry then sighed. "If he did kill him, then I bet there was a reason. I mean, I won't claim to be naïve and state that he hasn't killed before, but the way he and the other wizard spoke, well, it just doesn't seem to make sense that he'd kill Dumbledore."

"No offense, but your uncle is a git," Ron said.

"None taken," Harry responded with a laugh. "I secretly think the same thing from time to time."

"So why'd you come here for your last year?"

"My parents died, and Snape's my godfather so he thought it best if I went here instead of Durmstrang." Harry then sighed heavily. He desperately wanted to tell them that he was actually Harry, but he knew he couldn't if Snape and he were to have any chance in defeating Voldemort. Harry still wasn't absolutely convinced that Snape was on his side, but he was willing to trust Snape up to a point.

"Mr. Prince, a word?" Alecto Carrow said as she walked up behind the group of students.

"Of course, ma'am," Harry replied before breaking off from the group. He quietly fell into step with the Muggle Studies professor as she led him down a deserted corridor. After about a few minutes, they finally stopped. He couldn't hear any sounds of any other students.

"Am I to understand that you are Perseus Prince, Snape's godchild and nephew?"

"Yes, ma'am, I am." Harry didn't like her insinuations, but he remained quiet. However, as soon as he finished responding, Alecto snatched a hold of Harry's collar of his robes before shoving him against the wall.

"Don't you dare tell me that lie," she snarled. "I know who you are."

"Ma'am, I don't know what you're talking about. I am Perseus," Harry reiterated fiercely.

"Well, we'll just have to see about that, won't we, Mr. Prince? Detention, tonight, report to the Defense classroom at seven," Alecto sneered with an ugly smirk on her face. "If you really are who you say you are, then there shouldn't be any problems tonight." Her dark eyes then lit up with sick amusement. "Until tonight, Mr. Prince," she drawled before walking away.

As soon as she was out of his eyesight, Harry shivered. He knew for a fact that if he went to that detention that he wouldn't come out alive. He chewed the bottom of his lip as he did his best to ignore his instinct of running to the Gryffindor Tower to his friends. However, he knew that wouldn't help any of them. His running to them would only put them in danger. Therefore, Harry sighed heavily and walked towards the Ravenclaw common rooms. After all, he had letters to write.

About five minutes later, Harry walked into the empty Ravenclaw boys' dormitory. He headed straight to his bed and pulled out a spare bit of parchment and a quill. Quietly, he wrote his first letter, which he addressed to Hermione and Ron.

Hermione and Ron:

Wish you both were with me out here, but I'm sure it's a lot safer at Hogwarts then where I am. I've found several of the things I was looking for. I just have a few left before the end. I know it's been awhile since I last wrote, but I didn't want you two to talk me out of it. He gave me a mission, and I have to be the one to complete it. It's been great to know you both, and I definitely wish I were there with you guys. Sometimes in fact it feels like you both are here with me.

The other day I ran into some Bowtruckles. It reminded me of that day by the lake where we were all skipping stones until the Mermen threw a rock back at us. Do you guys remember that day? I guess I'm getting rather sentimental on you both so I'll stop before we're all blubbering like Hufflepuffs. Well, you know that I'd love to hear how things are going at Hogwarts so I'll be waiting for that news.

I haven't learned of any news on our front. I've tried but it's all quiet where I am. Haven't actually ran into any trouble or anything either, which is rather nice. I had some bad weather the other day, though. Kind of wished I had Madam Pomfrey around. It's funny what you miss when you're out on your own. I mean, who would have thought I'd miss hexing Malfoy in the corridors and having Snape nearly blowing a gasket every time I got out of trouble? I can't wait until all this is over and we're back together, guys. Until then, Harry.

Harry snorted as he reread his letter. It was definitely rambling and didn't necessarily make a bit of sense, but it was what Harry felt like he needed to say. He had informed them that he was still searching for the Horcruxes and that he was still alive. There wasn't that much more he could add in that letter. He had thought about adding something about how he had left the Dursleys, but felt like it would be a moot point. They would have had realized that by now.

Ginny,

I definitely wish I were with you instead of out here. There are days where I think to myself that I should just give up and just head to Hogwarts to be with you. I miss your smile and your laugh. It's especially hard when I'm flying because I'm thinking about our last night together last year. Do you remember that night, Ginny? It was the perfect end to a perfect night. I wish there was a way we could go back to that night and just stay there forever.

Tell me what's going on at Hogwarts, though. I haven't heard anything in months. Granted, it's not as if I'm really trying, though. How's Quidditch, especially the team, I mean?

Love, HP

Harry then wrote a few quick letters to Neville and to Luna, who was mostly for show. There wasn't anything important in the letters. It was mostly rambling again, but Harry believed it was the thought that counted. He then sighed before he sealed the letters in their envelopes. He stuffed the letters into his pockets before glancing out the opened window. He smirked softly and walked over to it. When he saw the familiar snowy white owl perched, he laughed and gently stroked her.

"Hey, girl, guess he told you to come up here, didn't he?" Harry whispered. "I need you to deliver these letters this evening, but I need you to tell Pig and the other owls to give their owners' responses to the black owl in the Owlery. Got it, girl?"

When Hedwig hooted in response, Harry laughed. He then reached into his pocket and tied the letters around Hedwig's feet before feeding her a few owl treats. She then flew off to deliver the letters.

The End.


This story archived at http://www.potionsandsnitches.org/fanfiction/viewstory.php?sid=2203