March Out of the Darkness by Lady Lanera
Summary: Plagued by the events from last June, Severus Snape starts his new position as Headmaster of Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry. Not all are glad about his new job, though. One such person is seventh-year Harry Potter who comes to Hogwarts for one specific reason, to kill Severus Snape. However, things don't necessarily go the way young Harry planned. 2010 Challenge Fest entry. Response to the Headmaster Snape Challenge by Jan_AQ.
Categories: Snape Equal Status to Harry > Comrades Snape and Harry Main Characters: .Snape and Harry (required), Ginny, Sinistra
Snape Flavour: None
Genres: General
Media Type: None
Tags: None
Takes Place: 9 - Post Epilogue (middle aged Harry)
Warnings: Profanity, Violence
Prompts: Headmaster Snape
Challenges: Headmaster Snape
Series: Dark Light
Chapters: 19 Completed: Yes Word count: 25224 Read: 88212 Published: 11 Jul 2010 Updated: 11 Jul 2010
Whispers in the Night by Lady Lanera

Five minutes later, Snape sighed heavily as he mulled over the news Dobby had just finished informing him. He knew that he needed to circumvent the Carrows' punishment of Harry, but he also knew he needed to start training Harry. His eyes narrowed as a plan slowly came to him. Perhaps this detention of Harry's was a blessing in disguise for them. He drew in a breath before standing up. He glanced towards Albus Dumbledore's portrait, but neither wizard said a word to each other. Instead, Snape walked out of the headmaster's office and headed to the Great Hall where he knew where everyone would be.

After the heavy doors of the Great Hall opened at his presence, Snape drew in another deep breath. His current action was similar to that of when Goliath walked into the lions' den. He instantly felt the hatred directed at him from the professors and students alike. However, he brushed past the heavy feelings and headed towards the staff table.

"Filius?" he said softly. He immediately caught the small Charms professor's glare, but Snape said nothing because he felt nothing.

"Yes, Headmaster, what is it?" Filius Flitwick replied with a forced smile.

"Inform Mister Prince that his detention with Professor Carrow has been reassigned to Hagrid." Snape caught the Heads of Houses' looks of confusion, but he only turned his attention then to Sprout. "Several of your students were scheduled for detention with the Carrows, am I correct?" The Herbology professor nodded slowly, but said nothing to him. "Then inform them also that they are to report to Hagrid this evening."

"I suppose my little lions will have to suffer, won't they?" Minerva muttered under her breath.

"As of right now, I have none of your students scheduled for detention," Snape responded calmly. "However, if the situations change, then you may redirect their detention elsewhere. Inform the Carrows if you must of my changes. Good day," Snape said before walking out of the toxic Great Hall. He could only imagine what his former co-workers were saying behind his back, but he truly didn't care. He was helping them, and they'd all learn that in the end. For now, he'd just continue to suffer in silence as he had done his entire life. Suffering was familiar and now comforting to Snape so he wouldn't have it any other way. He could deal with their whispered threats and snarled comments because he knew more than they did. He knew that his suffering was going to help them live better lives in the end, and perhaps he would even live better.

Snape walked out of the castle and headed towards Hagrid's hut. He immediately felt the fresh air against his face and had to admit that it was a rather nice feeling. He longed for fresh air. He continued down the path and felt the corner of his lip slightly curl upwards. It was too easy to forget his promise and just run as fast as he could into the Forbidden Forest, leaving them all on their own. However, he was unfortunately stronger willed than that.

Knocking loudly against the oak door, Snape stood back and waited for either the punch he'd receive or the yelling from the half-giant. When the door opened, however, Snape received neither. Hagrid only stared at him before standing off to the side to allow Snape in. After Snape settled into a chair, silence echoed around the room. It soon became too much.

"I've reassigned detentions with several of the students to you this evening," Snape said.

"Oh, have ya? Then I s'pose I should be gettin' ready for 'em then."

"You have an hour of rest before their detentions." Snape could feel the intense anger the half-giant was holding in. "I realize that you would like nothing more than to kill me, Hagrid, for last year—"

"All due respect, ya ain't got a clue," Hagrid replied tersely.

"Don't do that. Don't give me that respect," Snape responded as if he was possessed. "I deserve it! I deserve all of your anger for what I did! I know that, Hagrid!" Snape knew he was rambling like a schoolgirl, but he needed Hagrid to understand without really understanding. He needed someone other than Harry to talk to about it. Locking himself up in the Headmaster's office all the time, he knew was doing wonders for his sanity. "I don't deserve your respect. I deserve your anger and hatred for what I did last year. When this over, I will freely give myself to the Dementors, Hagrid, but until then I need your help." He instantly caught Hagrid's confusion. "I can't and won't allow any of the students to suffer from the Carrows. Hagrid, if you learn of any students assigned detentions with the Carrows, I expect you to do everything in your power to get them to go to you. I don't care how you do it, Hagrid, but don't let the Carrows anywhere near the students."

"They're part of His, though," Hagrid replied quietly with a puzzled look. "They'd kill me."

"No, Hagrid, they won't. They need all of you alive. Otherwise, parents would be removing their children left and right from the school, and He can't have that. He needs all of you there to prove that He's not that bad."

"Why the sudden change, Snape?"

"Guilt can do funny things to you, Hagrid," Snape replied softly before standing up. "And the fact that Potter has sent me a lovely letter entailing how he wishes to kill me if one hair is harmed on his girlfriend. Even I, Hagrid, know that Potter is the one who can end all this evil once and for all, and I won't allow that boy to throw away his mother's sacrifice because of me." Snape then quickly left. He didn't even allow Hagrid to get a word in before he left.

Snape had done what he needed to do. He just hoped it would be enough. He quietly walked back up to the castle and felt a chill sweep over him as he glanced up at the Astronomy Tower. He desperately pushed back the memories of that June night. He didn't want to hear or even remember that night ever again. He drew in the chilled air and sighed heavily as he felt the memories bury themselves again. He was safe once more.

Severus, why are you so quiet tonight? What's wrong? It isn't your Mark, is it? Is he calling you again? Severus, what is it? The soft voice whispered as the cool breeze blew around his face.

Ah, Severus, my boy, it will be a pleasure to teach with you this year. I must say that I am impressed at how you've done for yourself. I can still remember how brilliantly you brewed that Draught of Living Death. Tell me. What did you spend on your winnings? Another voice whispered.

Then what good are you to me, Severus? Another voice said. If you truly wish to be as weak as I thought you were. Then go…go to your filthy Mudblood, a voice hissed in the breeze. Severus Snape, Severus Snape, oh, you don't mean that morose boy from Slytherin, right? One more voice added. Coward, traitor, murderer, a series of voices in the breeze droned. He trusted you, Snape!

The End.


This story archived at http://www.potionsandsnitches.org/fanfiction/viewstory.php?sid=2203