Caring for Yin and Yang by DaughterOfAres, autumnamberleaves
Summary: A series of events leads to Severus Snape becoming the guardian of not only Harry Potter but Dudley Dursley as well. Disclaimer: I own nothing of the Harry Potter Universe. In response to Foolish Wishmaker's Challenge 'Snape's Boys'.
Categories: Parental Snape > Guardian Snape, Misc > All written in Snape's POV Main Characters: .Snape and Harry (required), Albus Severus, Dudley, James Sirius, Lily Luna
Snape Flavour: None
Genres: Family, Hurt/Comfort
Media Type: None
Tags: Snape-meets-Dursleys
Takes Place: 2nd summer, 8 - Post Hogwarts (young adult Harry)
Warnings: Abusive Dursleys
Prompts: Snape's Boys
Challenges: Snape's Boys
Series: None
Chapters: 5 Completed: No Word count: 7647 Read: 21609 Published: 13 Jul 2010 Updated: 03 Dec 2010
Chapter 3 by DaughterOfAres
Author's Notes:
Many, many, thanks to Snapeswidow for beta'ing.

Severus entered the house carrying two large brown paper bags filled with groceries, while two other bags followed him magically through the door. He had driven into the small muggle village about three kilometers down the road, bought enough groceries to last the three of them for a week, he hoped, and driven back in just over an hour.

Sitting all the bags on the kitchen table Severus began putting the groceries away. None of the wards had been set off and nothing seemed out of place downstairs, so Severus was confident the boys had obeyed him and remained in their room.

Once everything had been put away, Severus went upstairs to check on the brats. It was more then likely that though they may have stayed in their room, they were plotting some sort of mischief to get into later. Habitually, he made his way up the stairs avoiding the places that squeaked without even realizing he was doing so. He knocked quietly on the door before walking into the room.

He was quite pleased and rather surprised to see the Dursley boy sprawled out on the bottom bunk fast asleep. Craning his neck up to see the top bunk, Severus's eyes narrowed and his anger grew at not seeing Potter. Stepping back into the hall Severus looked at the bathroom door noting that it was open and Potter was not in there.

Already envisioning several different punishments for the brat, each more disgusting then the one before, Severus withdrew his wand from his sleeve and cast a quite 'Point Me' spell. Snape's forehead creased in confusion when his wand pointed towards the window.

No, not the window. The wardrobe standing next to the window.

Taking the few short strides to the oak closet he threw open the door not sure what to expect.

Potter was curled up at the bottom of the wardrobe, his knobby knees tucked up to his trembling chin, while his shaking arms were wrapped around his shins. He didn't seem aware of Snape's shadow looming over him.

"What is the meaning of this, boy?" Snape hissed in quite anger.

Harry couldn't help it: he flinched. Maybe it was Snape's tone, or the use of the word 'boy' or a dozen other small things, whatever it was Harry couldn't control it. And Severus had noticed. It was painfully hard not to. The involuntary reaction reminded Snape that the child he was menacing over was recently removed from an abusive home.

Kneeling down so he would appear less threatening Severus was about to ask what had happened, but stopped short. He hadn't been able to see it immediately, but from his kneeling position Severus could plainly see Harry's brand new black eye and still bleeding split lower lip.

"How did this happen?" Snape demanded, anger seeping into his voice.

Harry attempted to push himself further back into the wardrobe, away from Snape's harsh voice, but Severus didn't miss the quick glance Harry sent his sleeping cousin.

Standing once more Severus took the two steps to the beds where he shook the large child awake.

"Wake up Dursley!"

"Hmmm…go 'way" was the mumbled reply.

"Why is your cousin in the closest, boy?" Severus already had a good idea as to what happened, but wanted to see what the stupid muggle child would tell him.

"Cause he's a freak," Dudley managed to mumble, clearly not completely awake. "Freaky things belong in the cupboard."

Snape leaned over the child and spoke centimeters away from his ear.

"Get. Up. This. Instant. Dursley." Severus's voice was dangerously quite; it cut through the air like a sword.

Survival instincts kicking in, Dudley instantaneously sat up in bed.

"Tell me exactly what happened. And be warned, if you lie I will know and you will pay with your hide."

Dudley's mouth hung open and his chin trembled like Jell-O as he looked up at the professor. It seemed as through the very air around Snape was pulsating with electricity and if he didn't obey the terrifying man towering over him the sheer power would crush him.

"I…h-h-he…I…I mean…" Dudley stammered unintelligently.

Snape closed his eyes and forced his magic to calm down. It was not an easy task, but if he wanted to get a straight answer it was necessary.

"Let's try again, Mr. Dursley." Snape said far more calmly, but just as chillingly. "What happened between you and your cousin after I left?"

Dudley swallowed, but remained frozen. He was utterly terrified of the wizard standing close to him.

"I…I didn't want to sleep in the same room with that freak, but he refused to leave." Dudley said quietly looking everywhere except at Snape.

Snape's hand shot out and grasped the child's chin forcing him to make eye contact.

"I expect you to look at me when speaking. What happened when he refused to leave?"

Snape let go of Dudley's chin. The whale of a child still seemed too terrified to move.

"I managed to grab hold of his foot and dragged him off the top bunk. Then I shoved him in the closet."

Dudley actually sounded confused. Almost as if he didn't understand that his actions were wrong.

Severus didn't move. He hardly breathed. He suddenly didn't trust himself not to shake the boy until his teeth rattled.

"Go out into the hall and stand in the corner." Snape was surprised his teeth weren't breaking considering the force he was grinding them with.

"But…"

"NOW!" Snape yelled, and the room seemed to shudder with the sound. "And if you aren't standing with your nose in the corner when I come get you, I will hex you until you can't see straight!"

Dudley ran from the room.

Turning back to the wardrobe, Snape's anger faded slightly; apparently, his shouting and slightly out-of-control magic had frightened more then just one child. Harry was curled up even tighter then before with his head buried in his knees. He was trembling from his messy black hair all the way to his toes.

Snape had no idea what to do.

He'd figured that the boy would move out of the closet on his own with his cousin gone, but Harry didn't seem inclined to do so.

Running a hand through his hair nervously, obviously unsure as to what to do, Snape hesitantly moved towards the boy.

"Potter…"

Harry flinched again, and Severus froze for a moment. He'd never intended to make the boy that frightened. Sure he yelled and issued threats and firmly believed that a bit of fear was healthy…but never had he intend to terrify a child, even Potter, so badly that he'd flinch merely at the sound of his name.

Closing the distance, Severus continued quietly in what he hoped was a neutral tone.

"Harry, you can come out now. You cousin isn't here." Severus coaxed. "I need to heal you, so come out."

Harry looked up at Snape, clearly agitated and frightened.

Severus held his hands out, palms facing up.

"I won't hit you," he said quietly with as much patience as Hagrid shows his most dangerous animals. "I promise."

Shaking slightly, Harry hesitantly crawled out of the wardrobe keeping his eyes trained on Snape. In the light streaming through the window Snape saw the damage was worse then a black eye and split lip. More, fresh, bruises had appeared on his arms and even a large one on the side of his neck extending down to his shoulder.

"Really, Potter," Snape kept his voice quite, but he was clearly exasperated. "Trouble seems to follow you everywhere."

Not sure how to reply, or even if he should, Harry stood in front of the professor wanting to simply vanish.

Severus sighed, "Take off your shirt and trousers. If he dragged you off the top bunk you're probably covered in bruises.

Harry's head snapped up and his eyes widened. "But, Professor…"

"Potter, do not argue with me. Remove your shirt and trousers, keep your shorts on, but I need to see how bad the damage is, so I can give you the proper salves." Snape's tone was short and snappish.

Harry's trembling increased even as he began to remove his far too big shirt. Whenever he was around his uncle he knew how to behave. Vernon didn't like him to argue or talk back. The only way Harry could keep his uncle satisfied is if he immediately obeyed the man's orders. Sometimes it took a while to get out of that mindset even if his uncle wasn't around. The week since school let out had been even worse then usual. Regardless of what he did or how quickly he obeyed, especially if he threatened to use magic, his uncle would hit him.

While Harry undressed, Severus summoned his brown leather bag once more.

To be continued...
End Notes:
What do you think Snape will do to Dudley in the next chapter?


This story archived at http://www.potionsandsnitches.org/fanfiction/viewstory.php?sid=2206