Perception is Everything by Kendra James
Summary: When Severus Snape is left in charge of Hogwarts over the Christmas break, he is less than pleased to discover Harry will be one of his charges. Events force him to face that Mr. Potter may not be quite what he has assumed all these years.
Categories: Master Snape > Apprentice Harry, Parental Snape > Guardian Snape Main Characters: .Snape and Harry (required)
Snape Flavour: None
Genres: Hurt/Comfort
Media Type: None
Tags: None
Takes Place: 6th summer
Warnings: Abusive Dursleys
Challenges: None
Series: None
Chapters: 28 Completed: No Word count: 96964 Read: 159176 Published: 18 Jul 2010 Updated: 30 Sep 2010
Chapter 16 by Kendra James
Author's Notes:
I think the alert may not have gone out for previous chapter so make sure you have read Chapter 15 before this one! Enjoy
 

)O(

 

Harry ran down the dungeon corridor, his robe flying behind him. It was five past seven and he was already late for his appointment with Snape. Even though this was an invitation to tea and not a detention, Harry couldn't shake the normal feeling of nervousness.

 

He skidded to a halt outside the door to Snape's quarters and took a deep breath, straightening his robes and attempting to flatten down his hair. His quiet knock was immediately answered as the fierce looking man opened the door and stepped aside for him to enter.

 

'I'm sorry I'm late Professor.' Harry said breathlessly.

 

Snape waved a hand at two armchairs sat before the fire and snapped his fingers to call his house elf.

 

'That's quite all right Potter. There was no need to give yourself a heart attack to get here. It's an invitation to tea, not an inquisition.'

 

Harry collapsed into one of the armchairs as a small elf appeared and accepted Snape's order for a pot of tea and shortbread. The older man sat gracefully into the opposite chair and waved his wand to increase the flames in the fire.

 

'I must apologize for the temperature down here. I have not been in my quarters all day and I forgot to ask my elf to start the fire earlier for me. It should warm up in a few minutes.'

 

Harry nodded numbly. It really was rather cold but he was still wearing several layers in an effort to hide his weight and was rather grateful for the cool air.

 

A tray appeared with a small pop and Snape delicately poured the drinks, taking his time to give the teenager the opportunity to get his breath back. He took a few sips from his own drink before starting the conversation.

 

'How have you found the first few weeks of term?'

 

Harry groaned. 'Busy; there is so much extra Defence work. I don't know how Professor Lupin is finding time to mark it all!'

 

Severus frowned and looked down at his cup. 'Yes, he certainly has his work cut out for him. It's always difficult when you have to cram several terms classes together. Are your classmates managing to keep up with the essays.'

 

'I think so but there is not a lot of class time to do the practical stuff. That's a bit frustrating; for Professor Lupin too I think.'

'Mmm,' Severus considered the young man before him. 'It would seem a good time to reform your defence group then. I believe you focused on the practical side of your studies?'

 

Harry grimaced. 'We only did that because the toad...I mean Professor Umbridge wasn't teaching us any practical things at all. I wouldn't want Lupin to think that we feel the same about him. I mean he's brilliant! His classes are always really good.'

 

Severus bit back about a hundred werewolf related comments and forced himself to take a large gulp of tea before replying.

'I'm sure he would grateful of the help. Perhaps you should discuss it with him?'

 

'Actually sir, I wondered if I ask your help with something similar?'

 

Severus put down his cup and gave his least threatening look, a least he hoped it was. 'Go on.'

 

'Well sir. We were thinking of starting a study group on Sunday evenings that would be open to all the houses. That is Neville and I, and Eric Baxter. We thought we could let people make requests for things they would like to revise and we could ask the relevant teacher to come, or maybe a student from a higher year who could help.'

 

Severus felt his interest rise. So that was what the kids had been plotting at dinner that had got the castle herself all worked up.

 

'That sounds an interesting idea Harry. How is it I can help?'

 

'Well,' Harry paused. 'We would really like a teacher to sponsor it and maybe be there for the first few sessions, in case there are any problems. It would be really good if all four houses were represented but we were a bit nervous about house rivalry. I was wondering if you would be our sponsor sir?'

 

Severus was rarely surprised but he found himself speechless. The students in this school made a point of spending as little time as possible in his presence and he had certainly never been voluntarily asked to attend extra curricular activities before.

 

Harry watched nervously as his Professor considered his response. It was rather cheeky to ask the man to give up his Sunday evenings. Maybe he was trying to find a polite way to refuse.

 

'I think it is an excellent idea and would be happy to sponsor the group but if you are going to go through official channels this time then the headmaster will have to approve it. I suggest you and your co conspirators write up a proposal and bring it to me and I will sign it. You will then have to take it to the headmaster and make a formal presentation. I'm sure he will be more than happy to approve.'

 

Harry felt his stomach drop at the thought of being forced to see Dumbledore but quickly thought of a way out of it. He could write the proposal, have Snape sign it and then get Neville or Eric to take it to the headmaster; perfect!

 

Severus watched the emotions chasing across the boys face a little guiltily. It was sneaky pushing Potter to go to Albus like that and it really wasn't necessary for the proposal to be delivered in person but if it helped the boy get past this problem then it could be helpful. He resisted the urge to smirk at his clever manoeuvring, unaware he had already been outsmarted by the young man sat before him.

 

Harry smiled. 'Thank you sir, I will let the others know and we can write something up over the next week.'

 

'How are you otherwise Harry. I believe you have spoken to your friends about your situation. Have they been supportive?'

 

Harry bit his lip worriedly. 'Yeah, they've been pretty good. I think Hermione's mad at me about the glamours but she hasn't said anything. Neville had been great, I have talked to him about it more than the others.'

 

'I'm glad that you haven't been trying to manage this all alone.' Severus paused and gave the boy a keen look, trying to access how much he could cope with tonight.

 

'I do have some further news on the issue of guardianship if you feel up to talking about that now?'

 

Harry put his cup back down and sat on his hands before nodding nervously.

 

'It appears,' Severus started cautiously. 'That your Aunt and Uncle have become...unwell.'

 

Harry frowned in confusion. 'Unwell?'

 

'Yes, apparently they are both displaying symptoms of what muggles like to call 'a nervous breakdown'.'

 

Harry eyes widened in astonishment. His aunt had always been rather highly strung but he couldn't imagine his uncle ever being unwell like that. Unbidden the memory of Vernon sealing up the letterbox and dragging them halfway across the country jumped to mind and Harry rapidly reassessed that thought.

 

'Do you know what happened sir?'

 

'The muggle authorities had to intervene this week when your uncle was successful in burning the house down.'

 

'Your joking!' Harry burst out. Privet Drive was gone? That horrid, awful hell hole was no more?

Severus couldn't help the small smile that escaped as he explained.

'Apparently your uncle was convinced that the house was cursed and decided to destroy it. He has been taken into hospital and your aunt and cousin are staying with other relatives. The Ministry have revoked their guardianship of you as the Dursleys' are clearly not well enough to care for you at the moment. The advantage of this is that we do not have to file your medical report just now.'

 

Harry sat stunned, his head swimming with this new information. It had really happened, the Dursleys' were no longer his guardians.

 

'What happens now sir?'

 

'As you have no other relatives, your guardianship reverts to the school and your head of house. Professor McGonagall will have temporary responsibility for you until the end of term by which point a permanent solution will hopefully have been found. The headmaster asked me to talk to you about this and see how you felt about things? I know Minerva would be more than happy to retain the guardianship until you come of age next summer but that does not supply you with much of a family support.'

 

Harry stared into the fire, feeling strangely lost. McGonagall was his guardian; that was just weird. Did he have to ask her permission for things now? Would he still have control over his Gringotts vault? There was so much he didn't understand about magical law.

 

'Harry?' The professors quiet query interrupted his musings. 'Are you all right?'

 

'I think so. It's just I feel like a bit of baggage that's just been passed along.'

 

Severus sighed. 'This must be a very difficult situation to be in. It's not unusual for a head of house to fulfil this responsibility for a time. I myself have done it in the past.'

 

Harry looked up curiously. 'You've been a guardian for one of the students?'

 

Severus smiled wryly. He knew he didn't exactly look the part. 'Several times. It's normally only for a few weeks whilst family members are traced or the Wizarding Family Services appoint someone else. The benefit is that it means a child's schooling is not interrupted whilst all the legal things are sorted out.'

 

'What do you think will happen to me?'

 

Harry's question sounded so forlorn that Severus felt his heart clench.

'I know that the headmaster is looking into suitable candidates to take this on. Most likely someone who is either in The Order or in a position to help protect you if necessary.' He paused and took a sip of his tea. 'You should know that Molly and Arthur Weasley have already petitioned Albus to have you added to their brood.'

 

Harry bit his lip. 'They can't do that! It's not safe. I would be putting all their kids in danger.'

 

Severus sighed heavily. 'On one level, the headmaster and I agree with you. The Burrow is not the most secure of places and already too much of a target. However,' he continued seriously. 'You should also consider the fact that they care about you a great deal and know what they would be taking on. Five of their children are already of age and quite capable of defending themselves so there are two sides to the security argument. It might be worth thinking about.'

 

Harry frowned heavily. 'So will this be my decision then? Will I have to decide?' Harry didn't want to hurt anyone feelings and it seemed as though any decision would mean risk to others.

 

Severus leant forward and placed a hand on the boys arm. 'Harry, we have until the end of term to sort this out and there will likely be other options once the headmaster has spoken to a few people. I suggest you talk to Professor McGonagall and see what she has to say. It may be that a more formal arrangement with her might suit you better and once you turn seventeen you will have no legal need of a guardian. I believe Albus wants to be able to give you a few options and will likely tell you which path he recommends.'

 

Harry leant back in his chair and let out a deep sigh. All of this was proving much harder than he expected it to be.

 

'I can't believe my uncles gone bonkers. Why on earth would he think the house was cursed?'

 

Severus smiled faintly. 'I imagine Peeves dropping in unannounced would unsettle most people.'

 

Harry's eyes flew to meet his. 'Peeves! In Little Whinging?!'

 

'A poltergeist has to take his holiday somewhere,' Severus replied deadpan and Harry stared at him incredulously.

 

'You...you sent Peeves to the Dursleys'?'

 

Severus inclined his head slightly. '...and Professor Flitwick may have charmed their windows to look as if the neighbours were spying on them, and I believe Minerva was responsible for the hundreds of cats that have been peeing all over their garden and footpath.'

 

Harry gave a nervous laugh. 'You're not joking? You all really...'

 

Severus smiled gently. 'You didn't really think we were going to let them hurt you that badly and just get away with it did you?'

 

Harry had a sudden image of Professor McGonagall leading a small army of cats up Privet Drive and felt laughter bubbling up inside him. He snorted and before he knew it was doubled up in laughter; Laughter that quickly turned into sobs.

 

Seeing an imminent breakdown, Severus transfigured Harry's chair into a small couch and sat beside the boy, allowing his hand to rest gently on Harry's back.

Harry sobbed into his hands for a good ten minutes, allowing the relief to finally settle over him.

 

The Dursleys' were no longer a part of his life. Even the bloody house was gone and the blood wards along with it. He was amazed that his Professors had done that for him, had actually sent Peeves. His uncle must have had a fit.

 

When he had calmed he sent an apologetic smile at his Professor and accepted the hanky he offered; blowing his nose loudly.

 

'I think I needed that,' he whispered. 'It's been hard trying to carry on as normal.'

 

'You don't have to pretend Harry. It's perfectly all right to be upset. It is not unusual to take some time off from classes in these sorts of circumstances so if you feel you need to do that just let Professor McGonagall know.'

 

Harry sniffed and looked down at his shaky hands. 'Thanks sir. I might do that.'

 

They sat quietly for a while and Harry even managed to drink some of the tea once his limbs had stopped trembling. The fire crackled softly in the background and it crossed his mind how normal it felt to be sat here in Snape's lounge. It was all rather surreal.

 

'Are you ready for your first potions class tomorrow,' the Professor asked quietly and Harry grimaced.

 

'As ready as I'll ever be. I can't believe we have four whole hours of potions.'

 

'You will have extra potions and charms all this week. It's how we are getting around the full moon problem. Next week when your wolf friend is well again, it will be back to double defence.'

 

Harry sighed and put down his cup. 'I suppose I'd better be going. Ron's going to be wondering where I am.'

 

Severus walked the boy to the door, his hand resting on his shoulder.

'Do make sure you talk to McGonagall won't you? She knew we would be having this chat tonight so will be eager to make sure you are coping with everything.'

 

'Sir,' Harry asked uncertainly. 'Couldn't you be my guardian? I mean not just for the term but, well after too?'

 

Severus froze, completely floored by the boys request and Harry cringed in embarrassment.

 

Stupid Harry, stupid. Of course he doesn't want to be your guardian, why would he?

 

'I'm sorry sir, ' he blustered. 'I shouldn't have...'

 

'No Harry, it's fine,' Severus quickly reassured, finding his voice shaking. 'I'm honoured that you would consider me but...,'

 

He doesn't want me,

 

'...the role I play for The Order. It wouldn't be safe; not for either of us.'

 

'Of course sir, I'm sorry. I wasn't thinking. I should go.'

 

Harry practically fled from the room, running all the way back to the tower and cursing his big mouth the whole way. He had probably embarrassed Snape and made himself look like some needy ten year old.

 

Severus watched the boy hurry away from his rooms and numbly closed the door. Harry had asked him of all people; Had trusted him with his safety after everything that lay between them in the past.

 

He sat numbly, completely shell shocked. He knew his hesitation had hurt the boy but there was no way he could make this work.

 

The moment the dark lord discovered he was guardian to Harry Potter, he would be ordered to deliver the boy to his death. Refusal would mean..., Severus winced.

 

There was no way it could work.

 

He sat staring at the fire for an age, his heart racing, until with a moment of startling clarity he stood abruptly and grabbed for his floo powder.

 

'Albus Dumbledore!' he called throwing the green powder into the flames.

 

)O(

 

To be continued...


This story archived at http://www.potionsandsnitches.org/fanfiction/viewstory.php?sid=2218