Perception is Everything by Kendra James
Summary: When Severus Snape is left in charge of Hogwarts over the Christmas break, he is less than pleased to discover Harry will be one of his charges. Events force him to face that Mr. Potter may not be quite what he has assumed all these years.
Categories: Master Snape > Apprentice Harry, Parental Snape > Guardian Snape Main Characters: .Snape and Harry (required)
Snape Flavour: None
Genres: Hurt/Comfort
Media Type: None
Tags: None
Takes Place: 6th summer
Warnings: Abusive Dursleys
Challenges: None
Series: None
Chapters: 28 Completed: No Word count: 96964 Read: 159131 Published: 18 Jul 2010 Updated: 30 Sep 2010
Chapter 18 by Kendra James
 

)O(

 

Harry sat on the floor of the shower room with his head buried in his arms and let the hot water cascade over him. He couldn't believe how exhausted he felt. He had slept all day and now couldn't wait to get back into bed. It was close to seven in the evening and he wondered how long he would have to stay up before his room mates let him sleep again.

 

He didn't want everyone to worry and he knew his behaviour was scaring his friends. Part of him just couldn't face everyone after breaking down so spectacularly in the common room the previous evening. Another part of him was so genuinely tired that he wanted to just lie on the shower room floor and close his eyes.

 

His head jerked up as he heard the room door squeak open and Dean walked in.

 

'Sorry to bother you mate but Professor Lupin is here.'

 

Harry scrambled to his feet and hurriedly reached for a bath towel, automatically wrapping it around his waist to cover his modesty.

 

'That's OK Dean, I will be out in a minute.'

 

Harry reached over to the chair where he had draped his pyjamas and robe.

 

'No rush mate, I think...,' Deans voice faltered and then there was a shocked. 'Harry!'

 

Harry whipped around and froze as he saw Dean stood shell shocked behind him and Remus statue like in the doorway.

 

'What..?'

 

Shit! My back!

 

In his scramble for clothes, Harry had forgotten to hide his back from Dean who was now eyeing him with a shocked and somewhat tearful expression.

 

'Did...did you-know-who do that?' his room mate whispered fearfully.

 

Remus cleared his throat and regaining his composure turned to the other boy.

'Thank you for your help Mr Thomas. I can take it from here.'

 

Dean nodded and left the room hurriedly, throwing one last worried glance in Harry's direction. Remus and Harry stood regarding each other for a moment and Harry was grateful for the man's calmness and the lack of immediate questions.

 

Remus however, couldn't have spoken if he had wanted to. It was one thing to hear from Albus and Poppy about the injuries Harry had received; it was quite another to see it for himself. Remus hadn't thought it was possible to be that thin and still survive and considering his own frail condition that was saying something.

 

He cleared his throat again and gave Harry a gentle smile.

'You pop your pyjamas on Harry and then come and join me downstairs. Professor Snape and I would like to talk to you about something and thought my office would be the best place for it.'

 

Harry paused, still standing in the middle of the bathroom with his clothes in his hand.

 

'Am I in trouble for skipping classes?' he asked quietly and Remus shook his head with a sad smile.

 

'No Harry, you're not in any trouble and I'm sorry for barging in like this. It wasn't my intention to disturb your privacy but you had been in here so long that I was starting to get worried.'

 

Harry blushed. 'I won't be a minute sir.'

 

Remus smiled again and moved to leave. 'Don't forget to put some socks and slippers on Harry. The castle is cold in the evenings.'

 

Harry hurriedly dressed, putting on his dressing gown and his thickest winter socks before going down to join Remus in the common room. There was a sudden hush as he entered the room which quickly turned into overly cheerful chatter as all his house mates made a point of not staring. Not for the first time, Harry found himself very grateful he had been sorted into Gryffindor.

 

He followed Professor Lupin out of the portrait hole and up a flight of stairs to the defence classroom and the small office that overlooked it, trying very hard to contain his nerves. He really, really didn't want to see Professor Snape; not after making such an idiot of himself the night before.

 

The small office was lit by just a few candles and the roaring fire in the herth. A table was set with sandwiches, biscuits and a jug of mulled apple juice and Harry automatically headed for the fireside. He deliberately avoided looking at the man sat in the chair beside Remus's desk, hoping he wasn't being too rude.

 

Remus hung his cloak on the back of the door and pushed it closed to keep the warmth in.

 

'Take the seat nearest the fire Harry and we will have something warm to drink whilst we talk.'

 

Harry sat in the low armchair and glanced quickly at Snape who was watching him with an inscrutable look on his face. He almost looked sad, Harry thought fleetingly before taking an unusual level of interest in the rug beneath his own feet.

 

'How are you feeling Harry?' Snape asked quietly. 'You look rather pale this evening.'

 

Harry shrugged. 'I'm just tired sir. I slept all day.'

 

'Yes well, that's perfectly understandable,' Remus murmured as he came to sit beside Harry and complete the triangle between the three of them. 'you have had to deal with a great deal this last few weeks. These things do tend to catch up with us eventually.'

 

Harry looked at Remus's drawn face, the shadows much more pronounced in the soft light. 'Are you all right sir? I mean with...tomorrow.'

 

The next day was the full moon and it's approach was clearly taking it's toll on the older man.

 

'I'm always a little tired in the lead up to the transformation but it's nothing to worry about and anyway Harry, as skilful as that deflection was; I believe Severus was enquiring about your health?'

 

Harry blushed and looked down again. 'I'm all right,' he mumbled.

 

There was a moments quiet as the two Professors watched the young man before them trying valiantly to disappear into his dressing gown and then Severus broke the tension by leaning forward to pour three goblets of hot apple juice.

 

'This is a special blend of Professor Sprouts,' he explained. She makes a few bottles for all the staff at the start of every term. I believe it has all the ingredients of a calming draught, except it is not magically blended; something like a muggle herbal tea with added spices. I believe she thinks it will stop us bludgeoning any of the students whilst we all settle back into the stresses of teaching again.'

 

Harry smiled at that and glanced up at the potions master who had a light smirk on his face.

 

'Well you haven't killed any of us yet sir,' he said softly and Remus chuckled.

 

'Thank you Severus,' Remus cradled his own goblet between his hands and blew on it to take off a bit of the heat as Harry reached tentatively for his.

Severus waited for the boy to take a few sips of his and lean back a little in his chair before he started the explanations.

 

'I know you are very tired Harry so we won't keep you too long but Professor Lupin and I believe we may have found a solution to your guardianship that will please all of us.' He paused and noted the instant tension in Harry's shoulders, pleased to see that the boy was able to hold his gaze after his initial nervousness.

 

Harry looked questioningly between the two of them and tried not too bite his lip.

He didn't want to talk about this with the two people he couldn't have. That just seemed cruel. Anticipating the awkward conversation that was likely to follow, Harry jumped in first.

 

'I'm sorry about last night sir. It was really stupid of me to suggest what I did. It was selfish of me and I know you wouldn't want...I mean I know your other duties are too important and I should never...'

 

'Harry!,' Severus held up a hand to halt him and this time Harry did bite his lip, feeling an instant taste of blood flood his mouth. He took a nervous gulp of his apple juice and looked away.

 

'Harry, as things stand, my past with the dark lord would likely mean that any application of this nature would not be looked on favourable by the ministry.'

 

'I understand sir, I'm sorry.' Harry said quietly, brushing impatiently at his cheeks that were inexplicable wet.

 

He was bloody crying! Again!

 

Harry almost growled in anger at his own lack of control and Severus huffed with impatience.

 

'You foolish child; if you just stop apologizing long enough to let me finish then you hear that we think we have found a way around that.'

 

Harry's head snapped up to look at his clearly annoyed Professor. What did that mean? A way around what?

 

Remus laid his hand on Harry's arm and picked up the conversation.

 

'You may be aware that many students start an apprenticeship once they leave Hogwarts and go on to do Mastery level qualifications in their chosen fields.'

 

Harry nodded.

 

'What you might not be so aware of is that is previous times, it was not unusual for students to take on an apprenticeship whilst still in school. This has not been done at Hogwarts for more than sixty years, mainly because it is a system that can be open to abuse.'

 

Harry frowned, his face puzzled and Severus explained further.

 

'The apprentice is magically bound to his Master for a minimum of three years and cannot be released until the Master says he is proficient in his chosen field or seven years has passed; whichever comes first. Some Masters have used the system to basically gain themselves a free servant for seven years. The tradition was halted at Hogwarts because it tended to be students from poorer families that took up apprenticeships as a way of paying their school fees. They often had no families to advocate a fair deal for them.'

 

Harry snorted. 'That sounds like me. Knowing my luck if they brought this back I would end up bound to Filch.'

 

Remus laughed and squeezed Harry's arm and even Snape gave a small hiss of air that might have been a laugh.

 

'Well Harry,' Remus continued gently. 'It is an apprenticeship that we are suggesting for you.'

 

Harry's eyes widened in alarm. 'With who?'

 

There was a pause and then Remus answered. 'With us; I mean with both of us. A joint apprenticeship in Defence Against the Dark Arts and Potions. It would be a Mastery course that would continue for two years after your NEWTS, so for three years in total.'

 

Harry sat shell shocked in his seat, his drink forgotten.

'Are you serious? You could do that, I mean how? What about your sp...I mean your other duties,' he aimed at Snape, and your illness?' At Remus. 'What about the Ministry? Would they let..,' he trailed off as Remus squeezed his arm and Snape snorted in amusement.

 

The potions master watched Harry, seeing the gauntlet of emotions that crossed the boys face; Hope and fear equally mixed.

 

'In answer to some of those many questions Potter; the ministry have been seeking to pressure the headmaster into reinstating apprenticeships at Hogwarts for years, so whilst they may try and interfere, it is unlikely they could actually stop it if this is the way you wanted to go. As Professor Lupin and I would have joint responsibility for you then his condition would not pose a problem. Your Mastery would be in Defense with the potions component actually quite minimum. We would focus on those potions skills that complement Defense; in particular your ability to attune which has lots of other applications.'

 

He paused and took a sip of his drink, wondering if Harry realized he had bitten through his lip. Severus resisted the urge to pull the boy into his arms and try and soothe the worry away. He really wasn't ready to make himself that vulnerable in front of the wolf yet. He waited until he thought everything he had said so far had sunken in and then continued, his voice dropping to a soft murmur.

 

'And as for my other duties, they would stop.'

 

Harry's shocked gaze flew to his. 'But sir! That's important...I can't expect you...'

 

'Harry!' Severus caught the boys chin in his long fingers and held his gaze.

 

'You are a sixteen year old young man who needs some support and guidance in his life right now. You are just as important as any other demand on my time and...well; to put it simply, you made a request of me last night and I found myself wanting to grant it.'

 

He let go of Harry's chin and Harry let his head drop onto his chest and closed his eyes. His throat closed off with emotion and he felt his shoulders starting to shake. Remus moved quietly to his side and let his arm rest across Harry's shoulders; his warmth seeping through the dressing gown, offering more comfort than any words.

 

'Severus would be your primary guardian Harry,' he said softly. 'He would take the parental role and make any decisions regarding your wider education and welfare whilst I would have the primary teaching role. Of course you would have to stop us killing one another which will be probably be your hardest responsibility.'

 

Harry chocked on a laugh and accepted the hanky that Remus pressed into his hand; wiping his face furiously. He glanced at Remus with a small smile.

 

'Sirius would be apoplectic at the thought of Professor Snape as my 'parent''

 

'Wouldn't he just,' said the potions professor with a definite smirk on his face and Harry laughed outright then.

 

'Should I be worried about your ulterior motives Sir?' He said shyly and the man's smirk increased.

 

'I'm a Slytherin Potter! You should always be concerned about ulterior motives.' His smile faded and he added seriously. 'This is a big commitment on your part Harry. You wouldn't be able to enter the Auror programme or any other commitment until the apprenticeship contract releases you and I am not an easy man to live with. No one would blame you if you wanted to just wait out the next seven months until you are seventeen and then strike out on your own.'

 

'Won't the ministry try and get control of me again?' Harry asked nervously worrying his lip again. Severus winced as a small trail of blood ran down the boys chin and he absently wiped at it with the hanky.

 

Remus rubbed his back gently. 'They probably would but Professor Dumbledore would do everything he could to keep them at bay. The main danger would be the first few months of the summer holidays but as Lucius Malfoy is no longer in the picture then things are not as hazardous as they were a year ago.'

 

Harry nodded and leant back into the man's embrace, turning a tear stained face to Snape.

'I would like to do this Sir. I mean if, if you are really sure?'

 

Severus nodded gravely. 'I'm completely sure Harry, as is Professor Lupin. Neither of us would have offered if we hadn't considered this carefully. Our commitment to you extends beyond the walls of this school. Even if my staff position here changed or the Dark Arts curse strikes again,' he threw a wry smile at Remus. '...then the apprenticeship still stands.'

 

Harry sniffed tearfully,completely overwhelmed and the Professors next words tipped him over the edge.

 

'You should realize Harry, that we are choosing an apprenticeship because there is no way either of us could legally adopt you. If there was, I know I speak for both of us when I say we would probably be fighting over you right now. You have been alone for far too long.'

 

Harry buried his face in his hands and sobbed whilst Remus murmured words of comfort in his ear, his own face wet with tears.

 

Remus locked gaze with his colleague and gave a grateful nod which Severus returned, albeit rather curtly. They sat in silence for a while whilst Harry composed himself and allowed Remus to quietly heal his lip.

 

The two Professors explained some of the other practicalities and Harry nodded numbly, not taking any of it in. Remus pressed a few sandwiches into his hands which he ate without noticing and it was only as he finished the second goblet of hot apple that he realised they were keeping him talking to make sure he ate.

 

He gave the empty plate in front of him a wry smile and Snape, realizing that they had been rumbled called a halt to the evening.

 

'I think we have probably filled that Gryffindor head of yours with enough information for one evening. Why don't I walk you back down to your common room whilst Professor Lupin lets the headmaster know you approve our little plot.'

 

They walked silently back to the portrait hole, Harry's head spinning with everything that was about to happen. He paused in front of the fat lady and glanced worriedly at his professor.

 

'Won't it hurt sir,' he asked quietly, giving Snape's covered left arm a significant look.

 

Severus almost wept at the thought that the boy was worrying about his dark mark, a mark he had voluntarily taken and a pain he more than deserved. He worked hard to keep his voice level and detached as he answered.

 

'I have taken steps to ensure that any discomfort is minimal when he calls. This day was always inevitable Harry and I am glad that it is for such a positive reason that I am leaving that part of my life behind. I had not expected such an end.'

 

Harry winced at the nonchalant tone and the words his Professor spoke. The man had expected to die, he realised; To be exposed as a spy and killed. The last remaining doubts fled away and Harry gave the man a warm smile.

 

'I'm glad Sir; truly glad that you don't have to do that any more.'

 

Severus nodded. 'You should know before you go to sleep that Professor McGonagall has arranged for you to go the Weasley's home tomorrow. I believe you are to remain there for the rest of the week to rest and recover. We should not have pushed you into full classes so soon and yet hiding in bed will not help you either. I shall expect you at breakfast in the morning.'

 

'Yes Sir.' Harry flushed as he remembered a similar promise to his head of house the night before. He certainly hadn't made it to breakfast this morning.

 

He mumbled the password and the portrait swung open.

 

'Good night Sir,' he said before clamouring through and Severus waited until the door had swung firmly closed before answered so softly, the fat lady thought she might have misheard.

 

'Good night child; sleep well.'

 

)O(

 

To be continued...


This story archived at http://www.potionsandsnitches.org/fanfiction/viewstory.php?sid=2218