Perception is Everything by Kendra James
Summary: When Severus Snape is left in charge of Hogwarts over the Christmas break, he is less than pleased to discover Harry will be one of his charges. Events force him to face that Mr. Potter may not be quite what he has assumed all these years.
Categories: Master Snape > Apprentice Harry, Parental Snape > Guardian Snape Main Characters: .Snape and Harry (required)
Snape Flavour: None
Genres: Hurt/Comfort
Media Type: None
Tags: None
Takes Place: 6th summer
Warnings: Abusive Dursleys
Challenges: None
Series: None
Chapters: 28 Completed: No Word count: 96964 Read: 159146 Published: 18 Jul 2010 Updated: 30 Sep 2010
Chapter 20 by Kendra James
 

Chapter 20

 

)O(

 

Severus found it extremely hard to concentrate as he stalked around his sixth year class. The empty seat where Harry should have been left a knot in his stomach that made no earthly sense.

 

Despite knowing exactly where the boy was, he felt as if Harry was missing and therefore in danger. He found himself worrying about the wards at The Burrow and convincing himself that he and Albus had cast them wrongly.

 

He imagined death eaters sweeping down on the Weasleys' as he uselessly sat at his office desk. He worried if the boy had eaten breakfast; he worried if he was still sleeping. What if the sleeping was a symptom of something else? What if the chest infection came back?

 

By the time lunch time came, Severus has worked himself up into a a frenzy. He threw himself down into his normal chair at the staff table with a bad tempered scowl. Albus glanced at his potions master in concern.

 

'Are you all right Severus?'

 

'Sending him to The Burrow was a mistake,' the younger man stated bluntly and the headmaster smiled gently.

 

'Having you been worrying all day?'

 

Severus scowled and grabbed a bread roll. 'I am not worrying! I am simply analysing the situation from a better distance. We have sent a depressed boy away from his friends and school and left him in a property with poor defences. It was a mistake.'

 

Albus lay a comforting hand on his professors arm. Causing Severus to glare at him.

'Harry needs rest and quiet Severus. You will be seeing him this evening. Please try not to worry.'

 

Severus huffed and focused on the soup that had appeared in front on him, trying to ignore the anxious knot in his stomach. Albus was right; in a few hours he could see for himself that everything was as it should be. If he still had concerns then he always bring Harry home with him that evening.

Home, he thought with a slight shock. He was already thinking in terms of bringing the boy home. As he the child was his..

 

He took a deep gulp of his pumpkin juice. Thinks were changing so fast.

 

Albus touched the man's shoulder lightly as he stood to leave, allowing a little of his magic to flow into his colleague and calm him.

 

'Don't forget we have a head of house meeting this afternoon.'

 

Severus nodded, not meeting the headmasters piercing gaze or acknowledging the flood of warmth that was working its way through his body. It always annoyed him when the man used magic on him like that; as if he was an infant in need of a pacifier. He knew Albus never took action like that against any of the other staff.

 

He sighed heavily and stalked back to his office, feeling a little better, if still on edge.

 

)O(

 

Albus looked over his spectacles at his head of houses and gave them his best glare. He could still be a scary figure when he wanted to be.

 

'I want this to stop now. Is that understood?'

 

Minerva snorted heavily. 'Albus, I think they have got very lightly considering. That whole family should be in Azkaban. A few pranks is hardly retribution for what Harry has suffered all these years.'

 

Albus's look darkened. 'The man is in a mental hospital, heavily sedated. He has lost his family, his home and his business. Petunia is currently living in poverty; estranged from her son and being pursued by an infatuated poltergeist. You have had your revenge. I want this to stop.'

 

Severus smirked. 'Peeves is acting on his own initiative now headmaster. I believe he has fallen in love.'

 

There was a chorus of sniggers in the office which quickly faded away at the headmasters angry glare.

 

'...and how far would you allow this to go Severus? Sexual assault? Rape? Murder?'

 

Severus sighed and rubbed his nose. 'To my understanding, all Peeves has done is chase her around with flowers and try and get in bed for a cuddle a few times.'

 

'I helped him with a poem yesterday?' Flickwick added.

 

'I have been helping him write songs,' Minerva said quietly, looking swiftly away as the headmasters gaze fell on her.

 

Albus sighed heavily. He knew his staff were mainly harmless, but he could easily see this escalating out of control.

 

'No-one wants to see Harry get some justice more than I do, but what form that takes should be his decision, not ours. You must understand that you are not the only people who are angry. If the rest of the order were to hear of this campaign; things would escalate very quickly.'

 

Professor Flitwick poured himself a black tea and climbed onto the seat beside the headmaster.

 

'I heard that they did not take things well. I didn't realise that Harry was so close to the order members.'

 

Albus shook his head; his expression grave.

 

'Poppy and I talked to them the same day we informed the staff here. We went thought the medical scans in more detail though as Harry's general health has wider security implications for the order.' He paused and relaxed back in his chair as the heads listened soberly.

 

'Harry spent some time at the order headquarters the summer before last. Tonks and Moody have grown rather fond of the boy and he of course has a very strong relationship with the Weasley family. I think everyone was particularly upset that they have been guarding that house for the last two years, without a clue what was going on behind the front door.'

 

Poppy took up the thread of the conversation. 'Alastor Moody went bananas. He was cursing and swearing. We took some pictures of the injuries on Harry's back and Alastor was beyond angry.'

 

'How was Molly?' Minerva asked quietly and Albus sighed. 'She sat very quietly thought out the whole thing. It was Arthur who was the most distressed. I can tell you all in confidence that Arthur has been a little unsure about Harry's character over the years. He found the boys tendency to secrecy and running in half cocked a

little worrying. He was very upset to realise the reasons behind those character traits and of course he has discarded some of his older children's concerns over the years.'

 

'What concerns?' Minerva asked sharply, still feeling her own blindness on this subject rather acutely.

 

'I'm sure you all remember the flying car incident in Harry's second year?'

 

There were murmurs of agreement and Severus frowned. He could remember the blistering verbal attack he had launched at the boy that night.

 

'Well, apparently the twins and young Ron rescued Harry from the Dursleys' in that car and they reported to his parents that Harry had been starved, fed through a cat flap once a day and that there were bars on his bedroom window.'

 

Popoma buried her face in her hands at this and Minerva hissed sharply.

 

'Molly and Arthur discarded the boys testimony as an exaggerated account, designed to get them out of trouble. With what we know now...,' he trailed off and smoothed his beard sadly.

 

'Anyway, Arthur went tearing off to get his cloak, fully intent on flooing to Surrey and hexing the Dursleys' into oblivion. He was sobbing the whole time.' Poppy shook her head sadly. 'Alastor was going to go and help. Thankfully Remus and Kingsley calmed them all down and got Arthur drunk on half a bottle of Whiskey.'

 

Flitwick snorted. 'I would have thought Remus would have been first in the queue for a good Dursley bashing.'

 

Albus smiled fondly at the thought of his latest addition to the staff. 'Remus, despite appearances, has the physical strength of a wolf. He has learnt by necessity not to act in temper. That of course is no reflection of his true feelings on the matter.'

 

He looked down at the long list of things they had on the list and decided to move things along before the mood dropped any further.

 

'Anyway; no more attacks on the Dursleys'. Harry can decide what he wants to do about charges when he comes of age in the summer. In the mean time steps are being taken to formalize a guardianship for him which you will all be hearing about at next weeks staff meeting. Harry himself is resting with the Weasley family just now and will hopefully return to the school at the weekend. I believe you have all volunteered to help him with his studies this week?'

 

Their was a collection of nods and agreement.

 

'Excellent, then. Next on the agenda...'

 

)O(

 

Harry had had a much better day. He had slept until ten when Molly had woken him up with a steaming plate of bacon and eggs. He had then sat the kitchen table still in his pyjamas and done some of his homework. He was pleased to discover that he was more ahead with his reading than he had realised.

 

The first two classes worth of work he had been able to skip and go straight to the homework essays which he had finished quickly. He had then had a shower and had curled up in the window seat in Percy's room with his transfiguration textbook.

Molly had shaken him awake an hour later and forced a plate of sandwiches on him. He still felt so weary, it was annoying.

 

Another two hours of work and it was time for dinner. Harry came down the stairs to find Professor Snape was already sat at the table. He blushed and looked down at his feet, unsure of how to act in front of his soon to be Master. That was a strange thought.

 

'Oh there you are dear. Grab a seat. Professor Snape has come a little early so that he can join us for dinner.'

 

Despite her hospitality, Harry could detect a slight nervousness in her voice and realised that he had never seen Snape voluntarily socializing with anyone in the order. Molly would never have seen him being anything but his normal snarky self.

 

Harry hid a smile and went to sit near his Professor, who was giving him a very appraising head to toe examination.

 

'How are you Harry?' Severus asked quietly, unaware of the sharp look Molly gave him.

 

'Better,' Harry mumbled. 'A bit embarrassed about all this actually.'

 

Sensing Molly about to go into a motherly overdrive as she reassured the boy, Severus smoothly got in there first.

 

'I can understand that, it has been a difficult few days for you. Did you manage to get some of your school work done today?'

 

Harry smiled. 'I got all of yesterdays work done and one of today's classes. I'm not sure about a couple of the wand movements for my charms class though.'

 

Severus gave a curt nod. 'We can go through those after dinner. I have also brought all of the ingredients for today's potion assignment so if Molly doesn't mind supervising you tomorrow then you can give it a go. I have also brought some papers for you to sign for your apprenticeship.'

 

Harry eyed the large pile of parchment with wide eyes.

 

'Would that be it then. If I sign it's all done.'

 

Severus rose an eyebrow. 'Did you expect dancing naked under the moon and a blood ritual?'

 

'Severus!' Molly hissed, about to launch into a tirade which fell away as Harry burst out laughing. After a moments pause, Severus laughed too as Harry have an involuntary shudder.

 

'I could have done without that mental image sir'

 

Arthur came to join them and Molly served the dinner, her lips pursed into a determined smile that looked rather forced.

 

Harry helped himself to a small potion and then was forced to sit back with a sigh and watch as Snape added extra potions of veg and potatoes to Harry's plate.

 

'I'm really not that hungry sir.'

 

'There is no point in me continuing to brew a nutrient potion for you if you are not eating enough at meals. I do realise you are trying,' Severus reassured gently. '...but it will be necessary for you to push yourself a little if you are ever to reach a healthy weight. You should also know that Madam Pomfrey has restricted you from flying until you have gained another seven pounds.'

 

Harry's eyes widened in horror. 'That's a whole half a stone! I've already put loads of weight back on since the summer and I've been flying fine.'

 

Severus looked at him sternly. 'We can discuss this after dinner Harry as well as the other expectations I will have of you when you start your apprenticeship.'

 

The temperature in the room cooled considerably as Molly and Arthur stared resolutely at their plates and the conversation tailed off. It was clear that they didn't completely approve of this new plan.

 

Harry picked at his food but did manage to eat two thirds of it before he gave his professor a pleading look. Snape inclined his head slightly and Harry pushed his cutlery together with a relieved sigh.

 

Severus watched as the boy settled himself on the couch near the fire, pleased to see that Harry felt comfortable here and did look more relaxed than he had over the last few weeks.

 

Molly and Arthur left them alone whilst they went to clear the evening dishes and prepare for the next work whilst Harry unpacked all of his school work.

 

Severus spent an hour going over the charms spells that Harry was struggling with and looking through the work the boy had already completed. He helped Harry plan his work load for the following day and then settled on the coach beside the boy with the apprenticeship paperwork in his hand.

 

'So how does this work sir?'

 

'Firstly, are you still completely sure about this Harry. It can't be undone once the magical component is completed.'

 

Harry smiled shyly and nodded, looking down into his lap and Severus felt his stomach clench. Why on earth the child would want to be bound to him was beyond his understanding. He didn't like his own company most of the time.

 

'Well then, lets go through this paperwork.'

 

Severus talked through all the legal aspects and how the parental side of the contract would work. Snape would have control of the classes Harry took, his extra curricula activities and all disciplinary matters. When Harry read the point about house affiliation his head snapped up in alarm.

 

'I won't be in Gryffindor any more?'

 

Severus smirked. Trust the brat to skip over the discipline bit without pause but have a heart attack at the thought of leaving the lions den.

 

'Traditionally you would have a room off my own quarters as apprentices often did menial household chores for their masters.' Severus paused and watched with amusement as Harry paled and looked down at the papers in alarm.

 

'Don't panic Harry; I am not looking for another house elf. You will have a room in my quarters which you may use if you wish but the headmaster agrees that in this case it would benefit you to maintain ties with your house. Your robes will no longer have a Gryffindor crest but you may continue to stay in the tower so long as your house mates agree.'

 

Harry looked up. 'They have to approve me staying there!'

 

'Um, a public vote I believe. Don't work Potter; I'm sure the-boy-who-lived won't have any problem there.'

 

Harry grimaced and Severus chuckled. The child was really far too easy to wind up.

 

Once they had worked through the paperwork. Harry took his quill and signed each page, watching with a lump in his throat as Snape then added his signature beside each of Harry's.

 

Arthur Weasley signed the last page as a witness and Severus put them all away in his battered briefcase.

 

'Remus will sign his portion of the papers when he is up and about tomorrow and then once you have returned to Hogwarts the headmaster will perform the actual bond.'

 

'Will I feel it sir?'

 

Severus accepted the mug of coffee that Arthur offered him and nodded briefly.

 

'Yes, we all will. There is a physical sensation not unlike receiving a minor burn and I should warn you that you will have a mark on your right wrist that identifies you as an indented apprentice.

 

Harry shuddered. 'Like being a slave,' he said flatly and Severus laid his hand on the boys back in comfort.

 

'Unfortunately, yes. That was the original idea of this kind of magic but we don't live in those days any longer. The mark should look like a thin band on your wrist and may have a symbol on the front.'

 

'A symbol?'

 

'Um,' Severus sipped his coffee elegantly. 'It is normally either a small flame or cauldron for a potions apprentice and a staff for a defence training. The staff looks like a thin line. It may be you have a combination of both. The bonding spell will read each of our intentions and form the symbol and bond accordingly.'

 

Harry nodded and relaxed back against the sofa with a sigh. He glanced sideways at his professor who was staring into the flames with a thoughtful expression on his face.

 

'Thank you for doing this sir. I really do appreciate it.'

 

Harry paused a moment and then taking a chance, leant his head against the professors shoulder.

 

Feeling his throat grow tight, Severus slipped his arm around the boy and pulled him into his side.

 

'Things will get better now Harry. I promise you. I'm not saying it will be easy but no-one is going to hurt you like that again and I will do my best to ensure that your last years at school are better than the previous ones have been.'

 

Harry took a deep breath and let the remaining tension slip away from his back and shoulders as he relaxed into the professors arms. How often had he wished and hoped for this? An adult to hold him and tell him things would be all right. It was amazing to think that Snape of all people, had been the one to hear that wish.

 

Molly came through to the lounge at her husband silent beckoning from the door. The sight before her had her holding one hand to her mouth, the other pressed over her pounding heart.

 

Dear Harry who had resisted all of her attempts at physical affection and run away every time she had sought to comfort him, was curled up on the sofa, leaning against Severus of all people. The feared potions professor had an arm round the boy, his hand absently carding Harry's hair and the two of them were chatting amicably, Harry's school books and assignments scattered around them.

 

Molly withdrew quietly into the kitchen and exchanged a tearful smile with her husband.

 

'I think we were wrong about this Molly. Have you ever seen him make himself vulnerable like that?'

 

Molly chuckled. 'Which one of them are you talking about?' and Arthur smiled and drew his wife into his arms.

 

'I know how much you love the boy Molly, but I think maybe Severus is able to help in a way we can't.'

 

Molly nodded against her husbands shoulder.

'You don't still think badly of Harry, do you?'

 

Arthur's arms tightened around her. 'To be honest dear; I'm deeply ashamed I ever did. Especially knowing what we know now. I can't bear the thought that the boy has stayed with us so often and been hiding injuries the whole time.'

 

Molly leant back with a smile. 'I can't see him hiding anything from Severus.'

 

Arthur chuckled. 'No dear, neither can I.'

 

)O(

 

To be continued...


This story archived at http://www.potionsandsnitches.org/fanfiction/viewstory.php?sid=2218