Perception is Everything by Kendra James
Summary: When Severus Snape is left in charge of Hogwarts over the Christmas break, he is less than pleased to discover Harry will be one of his charges. Events force him to face that Mr. Potter may not be quite what he has assumed all these years.
Categories: Master Snape > Apprentice Harry, Parental Snape > Guardian Snape Main Characters: .Snape and Harry (required)
Snape Flavour: None
Genres: Hurt/Comfort
Media Type: None
Tags: None
Takes Place: 6th summer
Warnings: Abusive Dursleys
Challenges: None
Series: None
Chapters: 28 Completed: No Word count: 96964 Read: 159166 Published: 18 Jul 2010 Updated: 30 Sep 2010
Chapter 23 by Kendra James
 

)O(

 

The great hall was buzzing that evening as the students piled in for their evening meal. The next morning was the first Quidditch game of the season and all of the previous terms training would be put to the test. The Ravenclaw v Slytherin game was highly anticipated; particularly as Slytherin had been forced to train an entirely new team with their rapidly dwindling house membership.

 

When the headmaster stood to make an announcement, there was little attention paid at first with the majority of the school assuming he would be doing his usual pre first game call for fair play but the sudden tension at the Gryffindor table quickly grabbed the rest of the students attention.

 

'Before we start our evening meal, I would like to give a few notices and tell you about an exciting development here at Hogwarts.' A hush descended rapidly over the hall whilst the lions smiled knowingly at each other. 'As you know, tomorrow marks the start of the Quidditch season and I expect all teams to conduct themselves with honour and fair play. I know many of you have trained hard through the winter and we all look forward to seeing the results of that hard work. Additionally, I would like to tell you that Hogwarts has decided to restart the ancient tradition of apprenticeships.'

 

A flurry of excited whispers broke out as the students processed this information and it took a rather pointed cough from Professor McGonagall to quieten the hall again.

 

'From next September,' the headmaster continued. 'There will be the opportunity to apprentice in Herbology, Divination, Potions, Defence Against the Dark Arts and Magical Healing. Whilst normally available for students who have taken their NEWT's, for those who are willing to work additionally hard there may be the opportunity to start an apprenticeship from sixth year onwards.'

 

Albus smiled as half of the hall automatically looked at Hermione Granger. He would be amazed if she wasn't knocking on his door tomorrow morning seeking the extra work.

 

'I should warn you that these positions are likely to be highly fought for and not only from current Hogwarts students. We are honoured to have seven Masters amongst our current teaching staff and this unusual circumstance has precipitated us renewing the apprentice tradition. I expect there will be many applications from students who have studied in other schools as well as our own. You will have to have shown a particular aptitude in your chosen subject to be considered for this honour.'

 

He looked around at the bright eyes in his sixth and seventh years, seeing the excitement reflected there and remembered his own time in school and the anxious wondering about his future and what he would do.

 

'I am also very pleased to announce that Hogwarts had already begun it's first apprenticeship. It will come as no surprise to any of you I'm sure that Harry Potter has recently bonded to Professor Lupin to apprentice in Defence Against the Dark Arts. In these troubled times we all wish him well as he seeks to develop his skills.' He paused to allow the whispered comments to die down, pleased to see the nods and smiles in the hall before he continued with the more controversial part of the tale.

 

'Mr Potter also has the ability to attune to magical energies, so he will study a side course in Potions. As the more experienced member of staff Professor Snape has kindly consented to hold the senior Master role within Mr Potters apprenticeship. Harry will be bound to both Professor Snape and Professor Lupin for at least three years and possible as long as seven. A rather serious commitment, I'm sure you all agree.'

 

He peered seriously over the top of his glasses at the now silent students. 'I trust that any of you considering such a commitment will think long and hard before applying. We all wish Mr Potter and his Masters well; now tuck in everyone.'

 

He clapped his hands and sat gracefully as the tables filled with food, glancing sideways at his Potions Master who had sat beside him for the evenings announcement.

 

Severus resisted the urge to smirk as he watched all the worried glances thrown his way from the student body. The Hufflepuff table in particular looked horrified and he wondered how they would behave with Harry from now on. Harry's own house seemed torn. If he wasn't mistaken there was a lack of the usual venom in the looks he was receiving from them. Many of those in Harry's year just looked worried which is as he expected and he was glad to see it.

 

Severus's own house were huddled together in small groups whispering away and he was grateful to the headmaster for mentioning Harry's attunement skills. His snakes always did extra reading in potions and would know exactly what that meant. He suspected any jealously was being overridden at the excitement of having such a rare gift in the current student body.

 

Minerva filled Severus's mug along with her own and turned to him with a smile.

'That seemed to go well Severus. No horrified screams or fainting.'

 

Severus turned to her and rose a sardonic eyebrow.

'Was there fainting and screaming in the house of lions last night?'

 

She snickered and shook her head. 'No although Colin Creevey did start crying. After hearing about Harry's ill family, I think he thought handing the boy over to you was the last nail in poor Harry's coffin.'

 

Severus chuckled and glanced at Colin. 'I will try and resist the urge to yell at Potter in front of your cubs, as tempting as it may be.'

 

Minerva patted his arm lightly. 'I hear Harry woke this evening. Have you had the chance to explain the marks?' Her voice was uncharacteristically soft and Severus inclined his head lightly.

 

'Yes, Lupin and I explained the bond marks and what we believe has happened. He took it well. I believe he was...pleased.'

 

There was a moments silence as the older woman blinked rapidly and cleared her throat before patting his arm once more and taking a big gulp of her hot drink.

 

It was several minutes before either if them glanced at each other again at which point Minerva added. 'I am very sorry to have lost Harry's guardianship so soon after finally getting my hands on the boy but I can't think of a better person than you to help Harry through what is coming. Congratulations Severus.'

 

'Thank you, ' he said quietly. 'It will be hard to act as though he is just my apprentice when he already feels...so much more.'

 

'I'm sure that won't be a problem Severus,' the woman said sternly. 'I have no doubt that if you had a son in the school you would treat him no differently in class,' she paused. 'Unless he was a Gryffindor of course.'

 

Severus chocked on his coffee. 'Well of course it goes without saying; if he was a lion I would have to punish him relentlessly.'

 

'...but not so for Harry.' Her words were so quiet he barely heard them.

 

'No... not for Harry; at least not any more. I regret that...,' he tailed off. There really were no words to describe his regret in regards to Harry.

 

'Eat your dinner Severus,' Minerva said bluntly. 'Worrying about the past never did any good and you need to look after yourself, especially when you are in constant pain.' She gave a pointed look at his left arm and Severus inwardly cursed as he picked up his fork and started on his meal.

 

He thought he had managed to hide the effects of the constant burning in his dark mark but it was clear his colleagues had not been fooled. In fact their reaction to him since the Christmas break was highly confusing. He had never felt so welcome in the staff room.

 

He was aware that Albus had told the rest of the staff about his unique role for The Order. Now that he was no longer an active spy, that story could be made public and he knew that had had an impact on his colleagues views. They all understood now why he had been so biased in awarding points but he wondered if it was his new found friendship with Harry that had really turned things around.

It was odd having Flitwick constantly popping by the dungeons to see how he was. Outside of emergency's he didn't think a single staff member had stepped foot in the dungeons for years. Now he couldn't get rid of them! They were popping by for 'tea', to borrow books; to check if he was OK and to ask his opinion on the more vulnerable children in their care.

 

Whilst a part of him loved the fact that for once he finally felt like he belonged; another part of him couldn't help but imagine setting his doorbell with the nastiest hex he could think of. That would keep the buggers away!

 

With a groan he realised how much worse it was going to be once Harry was a regular guest in his offices. Then he would have to deal with the boys fan club as well.

 

Scowling heavily, he stabbed his fork into a potato whilst the student body watched him nervously. By the time he had finished his meal he felt a lot more cheerful; mainly because Colin Creevey had started crying again. Reminded of all the opportunities the apprenticeship would give him to ruffle the house of lions, he put particular effort into his exit from the hall; sure to give his robes extra bounce. He suspected Harry would be getting lots of sympathetic visitors tonight.

 

)O(

 

Harry slept late on the Saturday morning; only waking when Remus arrived in the hospital wing with a late breakfast for them both. After a quick shower and check up from Madam Pomfrey he enjoyed a plate of croissants and honey with his defence tutor and listening with interest as Remus outlined his new schedule.

 

With a reduced course load, Harry would now have more free time during the day, but would be much busier in the evenings with three extra tutorials a week. Two would be with Remus and one with his new father. He would also be expected to hold extra duties with Remus and be a sort of assistant to him at times.

 

'We will need to work out the exact details Harry. I'm not sure what would be the best way to assist me. I would rather not have you marking essays as I don't think that will be particularly helpful in increasing your own skills.'

 

Harry shuffled nervously in his seat. 'Actually, I was thinking about that and I have an idea if you don't mind?'

 

Remus smiled warmly at his young charge. 'Please do Harry; this is your apprenticeship after all.'

 

Harry took a gulp of his pumpkin juice and swallowed nervously.

 

'Well, I know that you have been running lots of extra classes to try and catch everyone up on the terms work we have missed and...well sir, if you don;t mind me saying so; you seem really tired.'

Remus laughed. 'I think that's a fair comment. I fell asleep in my pudding at dinner the other night. Not the best look for a professor I admit. Harry, what's this Sir business? You know you can call me Remus now?'

 

Harry nodded and flushed. 'Yes S...Remus. Well anyway, lots of people have been asking me about a starting the DA again and Neville and I thought a general interhouse study group might be a better idea. Severus said he would sponsor us.'

 

'Yes, I have heard about this. I think it's a great idea. Were you still planning to teach defence?'

 

'Well,' Harry sipped his juice again. 'I was thinking that I could use some of the free sessions in my schedule to do practical defence classes with the younger years. It would mean that you could just cover the theory and then I could do the practical bits. Then you wouldn't have to have so many classes on your timetable; at least...until we are all caught up?'

 

Remus rubbed his chin thoughtfully. 'That could work although it will make your schedule rather full Harry. Do you think you could manage a whole class of students on your own?'

 

Harry nodded. 'The DA was almost a full class although Hermione helped a lot. I would be alright with the younger years I think. Maybe years 1 to 3. That would be three classes less on your timetable and if we include a defence section in the study group then you could drop the three Friday revision sessions.'

 

Remus let out a long breath and rubbed his face tiredly.

 

'Harry, this would be great if it works. I have sixteen classes a week at the moment. This would drop that to ten. How would you manage the revision section.'

 

Harry frowned, thinking it through. 'Well if we keep it to one big study group then we could use the room of requirements and ask it for a separate defence area. I could get the DA to help with that so we can keep people in small groups and I'm sure Professor Snape would help a bit too. He wanted to come along for the first term to make sure we didn't kill each other. I would need some help with the higher years though. I'm pretty ahead in defence when it comes to casting but I don't think my technique and theory is very good. I don't want to teach people bad habits and I don't think the seventh years would want to be taught by someone younger than them.'

 

'When that someone is you Harry, I wouldn't be so sure.' Remus said fondly. 'How about if I come every second week to do an advanced practical session for the sixth and seventh years? You were planning on a Sunday evening weren't you?'

 

Harry nodded.

 

'OK then, so we are talking about you taking over three classes a week and then holding a defence study group on a Sundays. Does that feel manageable?'

 

Harry nodded and grinned in excitement. He had been really worried about Remus and anything that allowed the older man to sleep a bit more was a great idea as far as Harry was concerned. He reached for a second croissant and enthusiastically smothered it in honey, excited about all the changes in his life.

 

'Will I have extra duties with Severus as well?'

 

Remus frowned whilst he thought through everything he had discussed with the other man.

 

'Well, you won't be expected to assist in the same way. The two evening classes you have with him will essentially be extra lessons that focus on your attunement skills and anything that complements the defence training. He may very well have extra things that he wants you to do but it shouldn't be any extra time on your timetable. I expect he will have you in a assistant role in your normal sixth year class though.'

 

Harry worried his lip thoughtfully, wondering about how the rest of the school were taking his new status and how different it may be with his classmates. He knew from the previous evenings discussion that everyone thought his family were too sick to look after him and that he was still carrying injuries from the department of mysteries. Only a handful knew about what his uncle had done to him.

 

'What are you thinking about? You look worried.'

 

Harry shrugged. 'I'm just hoping I'm not going to get stared at all over again. The whole school probably knows I lost it in the common room.'

 

Remus lay a comforting hand on Harry's arm.

 

'They all know you have been a bit unwell but that's perfectly understandable when so much has been going on at home. With the Slytherin house somewhat reduced things seem to be a little gentler around here. I think you will be surprised at the amount of support you receive.'

 

Harry frowned as he thought about Slytherin. 'Why hasn't Malfoy and his goons come back to school? Have they taken the mark already?'

 

Remus sighed sadly. 'Quite the opposite actually. You know that Lucius Malfoy and Crabbe and Goyles fathers were all killed?'

 

Harry nodded soberly.

 

'That has left their families in a rather precarious position. Many of them have fled the country to avoid Voldemorts wrath and some are missing. Theodore Knott is the only one who stayed and he was killed in an altercation last weekend. We don't know all the details yet.' Remus paused heavily and ran his hand through his hair. 'I believe the reality of the war has hit home for a lot of people these last few months. Nacissa Malfoy was hoping Severus would take responsibility for Draco but that wasn't possible whilst he was still spying.'

 

Harry glanced up curiously. 'Why Severus?'

 

'He's Draco's godfather, Harry.'

 

Harry's eyes widened in surprise. 'I didn't know that! Would Draco even accept that now that everyone knows that Professor Snape is on our side?'

 

Remus shrugged. 'I know that Draco refused point blank to take the mark, even before Lucius was killed. He may not exactly be light but he certainly isn't a death eater either. Voldemort told Nacissa that he would spare her life if she handed over Draco for a mission of some sort. Instead she fled the country with him but I think she feels he would be safer here.'

 

Harry snorted. 'He certainly couldn't stay in Slytherin!'

 

Remus smiled in agreement. 'No, hence Nacissa's request to Severus to take him under his wing. However this is all a mute point now; Severus has other duties.'

 

Remus ruffled Harry's hair, making it clear what, or rather who those other duties were and Harry blushed, reminded again of his new status in Severus's life.

 

They finished the rest of breakfast quietly and then Remus walked Harry back to the tower for the first time in a fortnight. He gave his new mentor a quick hug at the portrait hole and climbed in, relieved to find the room reasonably quiet.

 

It wasn't until he was unpacking his bag in his empty dorm that he remembered the game. Of course it was quiet; there was a Quidditch game going on! Harry piled on several more layers, his scarf and hat and then ran back down to the great doors.

 

He could hear the cheers the moment he stepped out into the cold air and he hurried to the Gryffindor stand, the excitement growing in his belly. He climbed the steep stairs and slipped through the crush looking for his friends. Ron's hair provided a nice landmark and he found Ron, Hermione and Neville half hanging over the banister as they yelled encouragement at the Ravenclaw team.

 

As expected, Hermione saw him first and he found himself with an arm full of excited Gryffindor.

 

'Harry!'

 

He hugged her back tightly and then slid in between his friends at the railings.

Ron stared at him apprehensively, his expression full of nervousness and was that a touch of fear?

'Are you all right mate?' the redhead asked seriously and Harry grinned.

 

'I'm fine Ron; great even. Your mum and dad were brilliant; you are so lucky.'

 

Ron blushed happily and gave Harry's slight figure an appraising look.

'You do look better Harry. I'm sorry I was...well, so useless.'

 

Harry frowned. 'What are you talking about?'

 

To his shock, his friends eyes filled with tears. 'You've been going through hell and I didn't know what to say or do. When I saw you so upset in the common room and then you just disappeared for two weeks...,' he scrubbed his eyes furiously. 'I thought something awful had happened and the adults were hiding it from us. Mum wouldn't let me come home to visit and we thought you might be sick again, like Christmas...I'm just...sorry.'

 

Harry grabbed his friend and hugged him tightly, touched beyond measure at Ron's words. He had never seen the boy cry before and realised just how scared he had been at the thought of losing Ron's friendship. The two teenagers laughed and then leant back against the railings. Hermione slipped her arm through his and leant her head against his shoulder happily.

 

Neville grinned at him over Hermione's head and then turned back to the game with enthusiasm. The game was furiously competitive and rapidly turning nasty when the Slytherin seeker suddenly shot up over one of the stands and returned moments later with the snitch held triumphantly in his outstretched hand.

 

This resulted in a draw which caused widespread groans from all the stands. The seeker looked confused which drew a few sniggers. He evidently hadn't realised that Ravenclaw had collected so many points or he might have held back on catching the tiny little gold ball.

 

The four friends sat chatting as the stands slowly emptied; Harry getting lots of pats on the back from his housemates and encouraging welcomes.

 

'Good to see you Potter.'

 

'Welcome back Harry.'

 

'You look much better.'

 

Harry nodded and smiled; sighing in relief when the crowds had mostly gone and it was just the four of them. Neville turned to face them with a wry smile.

 

'Are you really bound to Professor Snape?'

 

'Yeah Harry, how on earth did you end up in an apprenticeship?' Ron asked incredulously.

Harry grinned and moved back to sit on one of the benches before launching into his tale. He told them about the changes with his guardianship and the concerns about ministry interference. He explained about his slowly changing relationship with Severus and how his potions lesson over Christmas had uncovered the attunement skills. When he showed them the bond mark on his wrist and what they had meant, Hermione had sniffed loudly and given him a tight hug.

 

Neville paled a bit at that and asked quietly. 'Does this mean that Professor S..Snape is your dad now?'

 

Harry shrugged shyly. 'Kind of...I mean legally he is my Master and I am his apprentice but the magic decided something different. Remus said that the magic read our intentions and how we all really feel about each other. Whatever it means, at least the Ministry can't try and palm me off on some favoured pureblood family now.'

 

Hermione worried her lip thoughtfully. 'I will have to go the library and check but I'm sure that if a magic bond designates you in that way then it as valid as an adoption. I don't think anyone would be able to take you away from Professor Snape now.'

 

Ron and Harry exchanged a smile as they saw a familiar gleam in Hermione's eyes. They suspected they wouldn't be getting her out of the library for at least a week.

 

'There's one bit of this that I might need your help with?' Harry said seriously and launched into the plans for the Sunday evening study group. Neville quickly pulled out a folder from his bag and Harry could see that he had written a detailed plan for the headmaster. He scribbled away as Harry explained the Defence section he had agreed with Professor Lupin and Hermione was soon making notes too. Within minutes, Ron had agreed to talk to all of the old DA members and make up a rota so that at least three of them were available each week to help.

 

Hermione took on the task of approaching each of the professors in the school to ask if they would be willing to be available twice a term and create the rota for that.

 

'Eric Baxter has already said he will create some posters for all of the common rooms and talk to all the first years to encourage them to come.' Neville grinned happily as he reported this and Harry was reminded how much Neville had benefited from the DA the year before.

 

Ron shifted nervously. 'So we are going to have Slytherins in this group then?'

 

'Of course Ron,' Hermione said sharply. 'This is for all of the school.'

 

'Actually,' Harry said quietly. 'I think having as many Slytherins as possible is the main point of this whole thing. They look a little...well, lost just now.'

 

Neville nodded quietly. 'So when do we take this to the headmaster Harry?'

 

Harry smiled slyly. 'I think it's ready now, but I think that you should take it Neville.'

 

'M...Me?'

 

Harry nodded. 'Yes, I think this should be your project with us as your helpers. I know Eric will help you in any way he can and he said if we get the study group approved then he will petition to have it made part of the responsibility for the head boy and girl in the future so the group will continue after we have all left school.'

 

Hermione grinned and giggled whilst Ron thumped a dumbstruck Neville on the back. 'That's a wicked idea. You'd be brilliant mate.'

 

Neville looked back and forth between the three of them and then smiled nervously.

 

'What about all the stuff I don't know? I'm not a teacher like you Harry.'

 

Harry snorted. 'I don't agree with that Neville; you're brilliant at Herbology and really good at explaining things. I don't think I would have passed last year without you.'

 

Neville blushed and looked at his feet.

 

'Besides Neville, no-one's expecting you, or any of us to do all the teaching. It's a study group. The idea is that we all help each other, with the Professors visiting to help with the really tricky stuff. The only bit that you might teach in is Defence and I will be overseeing that as part of my new role.'

 

Neville straightened a bit in his seat and then nodded happily.

'OK then. I will go see Professor Dumbledore then.'

 

'You need Severus to sign it off first,' Harry reminded him, glancing at the incredulous looks he was getting from his friends. 'What! What did I say?'

 

'Severus!?' Ron exclaimed with a snort. 'I can't believe you just called Snape that.'

 

'Yeah, well...he's my dad now, although you can't tell anyone about that bit,' he added urgently. 'Not yet at least. Moldyshorts is already pretty pissed at him as it is; we don't want to make it any worse.'

 

'I will go and see Severus then,' Neville said earning another chuckle from Ron.

 

'I would be careful not to call him that mate; he'll be pickling you for next years potions ingredients before you can say Quidditch!' Ron added with a laugh.

 

Harry smiled happily at his friends who were watching him with a mixture of amusement and concern.

 

'What?' he asked with a laugh.

 

'You're shivering mate. I think we should get you back inside or Madam Pomfrey will be stringing us up by something painful.'

 

'Or Severus will get us,' Neville added cheekily as they all stood and made their way from the now deserted stands.

 

'Oh Merlin,' Ron exclaimed. 'He's not going to get all protective and paternal is he? Because that would just be disturbing.'

 

'Yeah, like your mum, but with greasy hair,' Neville laughed whilst Hermione hit him with her bag.

 

'Neville! That's rude.'

 

Harry and Ron chuckled before both shuddering at the mental image of a Mrs Weasley / Professor Snape hybrid stalking the corridors.

 

'Well that's my nightmares sorted for the rest of the term,' Ron muttered.

 

Stood in the bracing wind on the astronomy tower, Remus watched the four lanky teenagers trudging through the snow to the castle; their voices easily carrying up to his hiding place.

 

He smiled softly at their gentle teasing of Harry's new relationship with the Potions Master; relieved to see Harry's friends were taking it all in their stride.

 

Despite his still slight frame and pale colour, Harry looked more relaxed that Remus had ever seen him. He felt a little of the tense worry that had plagued him the last month drain away. James and Lily's boy finally looked as though he was healing.

 

What's more, after fifteen years of being forced to watch helplessly from the sidelines, Remus could at last do something to help. It was more than he had dreamt was possible.

 

He pulled his cloak tightly around him and happily headed down the steep curved stairs. If he was not mistaken the children would all be headed for the great hall for the traditional post match pancakes and butterbeer.

 

Remus wondered how Severus would react if he swung by the dungeons and encouraged his colleague to join in the fun? Well he could only try he thought with a smile. They were bound to each other and Harry after all. After that small miracle, Severus eating pancakes on a Saturday afternoon didn't seem so far fetched.

 

)O(

To be continued...
End Notes:
Apologies for issues with the formatting on previous chapters. I do preview but it often loses the spacing between preview and publish. Very frustating.


This story archived at http://www.potionsandsnitches.org/fanfiction/viewstory.php?sid=2218