Perception is Everything by Kendra James
Summary: When Severus Snape is left in charge of Hogwarts over the Christmas break, he is less than pleased to discover Harry will be one of his charges. Events force him to face that Mr. Potter may not be quite what he has assumed all these years.
Categories: Master Snape > Apprentice Harry, Parental Snape > Guardian Snape Main Characters: .Snape and Harry (required)
Snape Flavour: None
Genres: Hurt/Comfort
Media Type: None
Tags: None
Takes Place: 6th summer
Warnings: Abusive Dursleys
Challenges: None
Series: None
Chapters: 28 Completed: No Word count: 96964 Read: 159175 Published: 18 Jul 2010 Updated: 30 Sep 2010
Chapter 7 by Kendra James
 

Chapter Seven

 

Severus paused outside the entrance to the Hufflepuff common room to catch his breath and wipe his face. He was still feeling a little shaky although the rest had helped enormously. It was just past one thirty so he was in plenty of time and he was surprised to realize that he was feeling a little nervous.

 

He had attended staff dinners on previous years but often made an excuse of a previous engagement and left the castle for the day. He really wasn't a big fan of holiday traditions; they just reminded him of all the things he didn't have.

 

He pushed the portrait open and strode in with his normal scowl firmly in place which changed to surprise as he took in the changes to the room.

 

All of the chairs and sofa's had arranged themselves around the edges of the room and a wide dining table had appeared in the centre, set with five places. Dozens of red candles hovered in the air above the table and the fire was roaring so loudly it was echoing off the stone walls.

 

Most startling was the tree in the corner that was now so large it reached all the way to the fifty foot ceiling. Its top branch with a star on was pressed against the roof and slightly bent over.

 

Severus nodded a greeting to the three Hufflepuffs who were sat near the fire and looked back to the tree.

 

'I do not remember that tree being quite so....,' words failed him at this point.

 

'Isn't it great!' Emma enthused, bounding over to his side. 'Harry did it. He wanted to practice an engorgement charm that the 6th years are covering next term so he went around the castle this morning practising on the trees.'

 

Severus looked back at the tree thoughtfully. Engorgement charms were particularly difficult to do and were rarely as tidy as this. He circled the tree, noting how equal the sides were and how all of the ornaments and baubles had also grown in proportion.

 

'It's good isn't it sir?' Morgan added. 'I can never enlarge things more than twice their size but it only took Harry a few attempts.'

 

The professor nodded. 'Where is Potter?'

 

The head boy answered quietly. 'Harry went back to his house for a rest after breakfast. I don't think he slept very well last night. He said he'd be back in time for dinner.'

 

Severus nodded and accepted the glass of butterbeer that Baxter offered him and took a seat near the fire. He watched as Shaklebolt (was it Morgan, he couldn't remember) worked his way through a small fire of presents on the floor, the boys face lighting up in delight.

 

Had Potter received a similar pile of presents, Severus found himself wondering.

If anyone had asked him a week ago his answer would have been immediate. The boy would be spoilt rotten with a pile of expensive gifts from his family and fans. Now he didn't know what to think. Even watching Harry interact with the other students last night had been eye opening.

 

There had been no hero worship from his peers and more noticeably, Potter hadn't seemed to expect it. The boy had been quiet but engaged; taking part in the laughter and games but not dominating. Severus frowned. How had he managed to miss what all of his colleagues had seen so clearly? A good student with a troubled home life.

 

He wondered about the reaction Potter had had last night when he had been called. The boy had clearly felt the call in his scar and Severus winced at the thought that he might still be having visions of Voldermort. Yet another thing they would have to tall about.

 

Harry appeared just before dinner was served, still looking tired and pale but cheerful. There was an abundance of laughter and teasing about sleepy heads as they all settled at the table; Severus taking the seat at the head. The professor sat quietly, happy to listen to the children chattering and throwing in the occasional comment.

 

His ears pricked up as he heard Emma question Harry about his presents. Potter grinned as he finished a mouthful of roast turkey and launched into a description.

 

'I got a book from Hermoine, chocolates and a joke box from Ron; Ron's mum sent me a jumper and cake and Hagrid a wooden flute.'

 

'What about your family Harry?' Eric asked and Severus saw the boy carefully arrange a neutral expression on his face.

 

'Oh, they don't usually send presents here. I expect they will wait until I go home.'

 

'That's nice,' Eric smiled. 'It's like spreading Christmas out a bit that way, isn't it?'

 

Harry nodded non committally and took another large mouthful of food whilst Severus scowled into his dinner.

 

Bloody muggles; they couldn't even take the time to get a present for the child. What had Albus been thinking placing Potter with such poor guardians? He would be having serious words with that man.

 

The few presents Potter had received was also irritating him. Four friends and a friends mother; surely the average sixteen year old received more than that? The boy seemed to be more than happy with his haul though. That alone was depressing. He had just watched that annoying Hufflepuff open about fifty presents.

 

Severus tuned back into the conversation and listened to the teenagers as they discussed the last Quidditch game, move by move. He watched as the three friends shamelessly picked apart Potters performance on the pitch whilst said Seeker smiled good naturedly. In the end it was Severus who rescued the boy.

 

'Remind me who caught the snitch in that game?' He asked dryly.

 

Potter turned to him with a mock innocent expression.

 

'Why professor I'm not sure I recall; oh wait. I remember now, I believe it was me!' He turned back to his peers with a grin and they all laughed.

 

Severus noticed the head boy flash an approving look his way before answering Potter directly.

 

'Fair enough Harry, you did of course win the game for Gryffindor so we shouldn't be too hard on you.'

 

Harry inclined his head graciously at the concession. 'Why thank you kind sir; I will of course take your critique of my performance on board.'

 

Emma sniggered. 'Can we have another few practices over the rest of the break Harry, I want to learn that roll you did.'

 

'Erm,' Harry smiled bashfully. 'I'm not sure that roll was particularly deliberate,' he admitted to more laughter from the others.

 

Severus found himself smiling at the interaction. Despite the annoyances in the classroom, there really were some great kids in this school. What's more, he admitted to himself; he was actually enjoying this Christmas.

 

Severus tried to get the image of the headmaster smiling knowingly at him, out of his head.

 

)O(

 

That evening found Severus Snape sat at his kitchen table nursing a brandy and a head full of confusing thoughts. Today had been...surprising.

 

He had experienced more human contact in the last twenty four house than he had since school when Lily...well when Lily had been around. He wondered what Lily would say if she were here now.

 

He felt shame flush through him. She would probably punch him on the nose for the way he had treated her son for the last six years.

 

I'll make it up to him Lily, he promised silently to the empty kitchen and took another sip of his drink.

 

A tapping at the window alerted him to the owl waiting patiently on the windowsill. Severus let the bird bird in and pulled off the heavy letter she was carrying. That makes eleven he thought with a satisfied smile. The ball was rolling nicely.

 

It had been relatively easy to pull the school records and make a list of all the students who had served detention with Umbridge. He had then separated out the lists to the four houses. There were only eight Syltherin students who had been effected and Severus had chosen five who he knew were from pureblood families that held influence in the ministry or wizard media.

 

He had written a very carefully worded letter to the five parents.

 

Nothing to worry about but he had concerns about the detentions they had served. Could they have a discreet chat with their son/daughter and make sure nothing untoward had happened? Nothing official of course; he was only writing as a concerned head of house.

 

He made a point of emphasizing that the woman had been employed and sent to Hogwarts by the ministry, not the school. He knew that the moment the students confided in their parents that a blood quill had been used; all hell would let loose. Most pureblood families would understand the true nature of such a device.

 

Within twelve hours he had received outraged owls from all five sets of parents. He had immediately replied, feigning shock and outrage;-

 

I share in your anger; will completely support any action against the ministry; no the headmaster does not know yet but will be equally angry when he find outs.

 

The second wave of letters had included grandparents and influential friends of the five families. All Severus had to do now was stand back and watch the fallout. With a bit of luck that bloody women would be in Azkaban by the spring.

 

The whole thing had been a carefully stepped dance in politics and Severus knew that Albus was unlikely to completely escape the scandal this would cause. He felt a little guilty about that but not enough to stop the action he had taken.

 

Whilst not completely honest, he had not lied either and he knew the headmaster would genuinely be furious when he found out what had happened.

 

A quick count had shown that Potter had served thirty seven detentions with the bitch. No wonder the scar on his hand was so pronounced.

 

Minerva and Poppy were also likely to be explosive in their rage and a perverse side of him wanted to invite Umbridge to tea; lock her in a room with the two witches and then tell them.

 

Now that would be a good way to start the New Year, he thought with a sly grin; although Filch would not be happy with the clean up operation afterwards.

 

Severus snorted into his brandy in amusement and opened the latest letter.

 

His grin widened as he read it through. The first contact from the press; perfect!

They seemed to be approaching the story from the angle he had hoped for, taking Umbridge's actions as directly targeting pureblood families.

 

Of course, nothing could be further from the truth but this way it would upset the right people and protect Potter from any unnecessary attention. With a bit of luck his name would not even come up.

 

He added the letter to the others and downed the last drop of brandy before grabbing a cloak and striding out into the corridor.

 

It was time to find Peeves and add the last special element of this little revenge attack.

 

)O(

 

To be continued...
End Notes:
You get two chapters today. Reviews are always appreciated, particularly if you tell me what you like / would prefer to see.


This story archived at http://www.potionsandsnitches.org/fanfiction/viewstory.php?sid=2218