Perception is Everything by Kendra James
Summary: When Severus Snape is left in charge of Hogwarts over the Christmas break, he is less than pleased to discover Harry will be one of his charges. Events force him to face that Mr. Potter may not be quite what he has assumed all these years.
Categories: Master Snape > Apprentice Harry, Parental Snape > Guardian Snape Main Characters: .Snape and Harry (required)
Snape Flavour: None
Genres: Hurt/Comfort
Media Type: None
Tags: None
Takes Place: 6th summer
Warnings: Abusive Dursleys
Challenges: None
Series: None
Chapters: 28 Completed: No Word count: 96964 Read: 159131 Published: 18 Jul 2010 Updated: 30 Sep 2010

1. Chapter 1 by Kendra James

2. Chapter 2 by Kendra James

3. Chapter 3 by Kendra James

4. Chapter 4 by Kendra James

5. Chapter 5 by Kendra James

6. Chapter 6 by Kendra James

7. Chapter 7 by Kendra James

8. Chapter 8 by Kendra James

9. Chapter 9 by Kendra James

10. Chapter 10 by Kendra James

11. Chapter 11 by Kendra James

12. Chapter 12 by Kendra James

13. Chapter 13 by Kendra James

14. Chapter 14 by Kendra James

15. Chapter 15 by Kendra James

16. Chapter 16 by Kendra James

17. Chapter 17 by Kendra James

18. Chapter 18 by Kendra James

19. Chapter 19 by Kendra James

20. Chapter 20 by Kendra James

21. Chapter 21 by Kendra James

22. Chapter 22 by Kendra James

23. Chapter 23 by Kendra James

24. Chapter 24 by Kendra James

25. Chapter 25 by Kendra James

26. Chapter 26 by Kendra James

27. Chapter 27 by Kendra James

28. Chapter 28 by Kendra James

Chapter 1 by Kendra James

Severus Snape strode down the Great Hall, his cloak billowing about his ankles. He glowered darkly at all the excited chatter around him. In a few hours all these insufferable brats would be gone for the holidays; off to do whatever nauseating things families did over the Christmas break.

He sat at the staff table, resolutely ignoring the small pile of cards sat beside his coffee cup. Every year the staff insisted on this irritating ritual and he felt his mood deepen further. He never send them back and they still would not desist in wasting their time and filling them in for him. It really was incredibly irritating.

Minerva automatically filled his coffee mug for him and he nodded silently in thanks, his irritation level dropping slightly.

"I hear you will be looking after the stragglers this year?" she asked quietly.

Severus almost growled in response. "Apparently I have that honour yes."

Just what he wanted, to baby sit a group of students over the break who didn't have the decency to go home to their loving families like the rest of their peers but instead thought it would be fun to hang around and give him a hard time. Even better, the only other staff member here this time would be Filch.

"Do you have the list Minerva?" he asked quietly.

"Yes," she pulled out a parchment from her diary. "Only four students this year. Three 7th years from Hufflepuff and one 6th from Griffindor."

He glanced at the list and winced. "Potter! Bloody brilliant."

His colleague gave him a sharp look and he slurped his coffee, ignoring her scowl.

"Severus," she hissed warningly. "Harry will be here all break without any of his friends. The last thing he needs is you giving him a difficult time. He's still struggling with the loss of his godfather."

"I know, I know," he spat at his colleague. "We mustn't upset the golden boy; mustn't let him get any less coddled than he already is."

"Severus!"

"Oh don't look at me like that Minerva," he sighed rubbing the bridge of his nose. "I'm not going to hex the boy the second your back is turned. He can always go home if he finds my presence intolerable."

"Harry never goes home for Christmas," she stated quietly and with something in her tone that caused him to glance at her curiously.

Trouble in the golden boy's family? Surely not. Severus couldn't help a small smile at the thought that maybe the brat's family were a little more immune to the boy's charms than the wizarding world seemed to be.

He watched the staff wave the little horrors off to the train later that morning and turned to face the four students waiting for him in the hallway. He noticed grimly that they seemed as pleased to be stuck with him as he was with them. There would be no cheery xmas day meal with the staff this year. He was pleased to note that the three Hufflepuff students consisted of the head boy and the two prefects and he knew they were unlikely to be any trouble; which just left Potter whose middle name was trouble.

"Right you four," he said in his most intimidating voice, noticing with annoyance that Potter raised a sardonic eyebrow at him. "I'm sure you are as delighted to be stuck here with me as I am with you. We have exactly three weeks and four days together and I have a great deal of work to do in that time. None of you are first years so I do not expect to find myself having to babysit or deal with any rule breaking. You are free to wander all public areas of the school and grounds and your curfew will be 11pm at which time I expect you to be in your dormitories. Potter, as you are the only student staying from your house you may stay in Hufflepuff if you would prefer."

Harry shuffled nervously. "Actually sir, I would prefer to stay in my own dorm if that is allowed?"

Severus raised an eyebrow at that but replied simply.

"As you wish. You may share passwords with each other if you are comfortable doing so. They will be changed before the rest of the student body returns."

The four students exchanged looks and seemed to agree to that with a nod.

"Breakfast will be served in your respective common rooms at 9am, lunch at 1pm which you may order elsewhere if you prefer. You will all dine in the hall at 5.30 each evening after which I expect one of you to report to me in my office so I can be assured that you haven't drowned yourself in the lake or done anything stupid."

He glowered at them for a moment to make sure they knew how displeased he would be if that should be the case.

"Understood? Good. Now as you are at Hogwarts you may continue to use your wands and practice magic unless one of you gives me reason to doubt that is wise. You may also use your brooms so long as you tell one of your fellow students you are doing so and report back afterwards."

Severus noticed that Potter perked up a bit at that and had to bite back the irrational desire to take the last concession back.

"The library will remain available as will the small potions lab beside my office. I suggest some of you use the time to improve in those subjects in which you are less able."

His gaze slid over Potter again and he saw the boy flush in embarrassment as the older students glanced at him curiously. Feeling somewhat cheered by that, the Potions Master stalked away, before they could bombard him with ridiculous questions.

The four looked at each other for a moment and the head boy who Harry remembered as being called Eric something spoke first.

"He seemed really cheerful about spending Christmas with us didn't he?"

They all sniggered and Eric turned to Harry.

"Harry this is Emma and Morgan, I'm not sure if you've met?"

Harry shook his head and politely shook hands with the two older students.

Emma smiled, "Except on the pitch of course." Emma was a chaser on the Hufflepuff team although Harry could only remember playing against her once.

"Our password is 'Dew Wort' this month," Emma said cheerfully. "Do come and join us in the evenings and even for breakfast if you like."

"Thanks," Harry replied. "I might do that, although I'm looking forward to a bit of peace and quiet as well. I have a tonne of homework. The Griffindor password is 'Panther.'"

They made arrangements to meet in the second floor corridor at 5.15 and walk down to dinner together and then went their separate ways; Harry quite happy to retreat to his house for a while.

He was surprised how strange it was to wander through the common room knowing there was no one there and that he had the whole place to himself for several weeks. He sat down in the large armchair before the fire and silently ran his wand over himself, removing the glamours that he had held up the whole term with a sigh of relief. It had been exhausting his magic having to keep them up permanently. If he hid up here during the day, he would only have to put them up for mealtimes which should speed up the healing process enormously.

Harry touched his left ribs gingerly. They definitely felt better now and he knew he had managed to put on about half of the weight he had lost over the summer so if he rested lots and ate lots then he might not need the charms by the time term started again.

Harry dozed for several hours by the fire and then wandered up to his dorm to dig out his homework list and arrange his books. He spent an hour writing out a study plan that Hermione would have been proud of and had a quick shower before preparing to go down to dinner.

He stood before the large mirror in the bathroom and examined the bruising around his ribs and hip and the red welts on his back. All of them had finally closed and were fading nicely and his skin colour was much better. There was an angry red mark on his cheek where his uncles belt buckle had caught him that looked like it might be a permanent scar. Harry wondered if he could fabricate a flying accident over the holiday so that he wouldn't need to keep hiding it.

Examining himself critically, he knew the weight thing was the main problem. He still looked half starved and that was after three meals a day for the whole term. Sighing he recast the glamour charms, feeling the familiar sense of tiredness settle over him as the drain on his magic began and dressed to go down and join the others.

When they walked into the Great Hall, they found a single table running down the middle and four places set in the very centre. It was an enjoyable meal and Harry chatted happily to the three students, glad of a chance to meet people outside of his house. They elected Emma to go and report to Snape that evening and Harry excused himself to go to the library and find the books he would need for his homework.

He wandered up through the ancient corridors feeling a sense of peace he hadn't had since last summer, not since he had lost Sirius. This was his home and he was able to just please himself for the next three weeks. Not even Snape could ruin that.

)O(

The next week was a pure joy for Harry. He had finished all his homework by day three and was now spending a few hours each day doing reading for next terms work. He and Emma had gone out twice to the Quidditch pitch and spent a few hours practising and passing the Quaffle back and forth to each other.

Best of all though was the fact that he had been able to truly sleep. Not having to hold the glamours in place for most of the day and night meant that he had managed to lose some of the exhaustion that had plagued him since the start of last term. He had noticed a slightly sore throat developing towards the end of the week and wondered if the fact he had finally relaxed had meant his bodies defences were down.

Harry woke on the Saturday morning feeling truly awful. His head and throat hurt and it felt like every muscle in his body had decided to revolt. He could feel his temperature rising. This presented Harry with a problem. He could skip breakfast but if he didn't turn up to lunch then someone would probably come looking for him. He hadn't seen Professor Snape once yet as the other three had taken it in turns to report in. He thought that they might be trying to protect him from Snape as the older man had been so scathing towards him that first day and Harry found this rather sweet.

Sensibly, Harry realised that he should probably go and tell the Professor he was ill but that left the problems of the glamours. He didn't want to risk them being detected and it was difficult to say you are ill if you look the picture of health. If he left them down the difference would be too startling and he didn't fancy explaining how he had apparently lost two stone of weight in a week.

In the end Harry decided to stay in bed for the morning and then drag himself down for lunch. Luckily the others were too busy chatting about an assignment they had been working on to notice how quiet he was and he was able to quietly slip away immediately afterwards. Dinner proved to be more difficult as by then Harry had started to cough and his already injured side was burning in protest.

Eric frowned at him in concern. "You're sounding a bit rough there mate. Are you coming down with something?"

Harry grimaced. He was not going to get away with this. "Yeah; just a cold."

"Shall I ask Professor Snape to look in on you? It's my turn to report in tonight."

Thinking quickly, Harry shook his head. "It's ok, I'll report in tonight. I can ask him if he has a pepper up potion or something."

Harry walked down to the dungeon wearily. He really did feel dreadful and hoped the evil git wouldn't be too hideous. He didn't think he could cope with it.

He knocked quietly on the office door, turning the handle at the curt "come in" from inside. Wandering in he was surprised to see the Professor sat back in his armchair, his feet up on the table in front of him. He was wearing muggle jeans and a dark sweater and reading a paperback and looked surprisingly human.

"Ah, Potter. I wondered if I would even see you this holidays. The Hufflepuffs let you come down by yourself did they? Or are they all waiting outside to make sure you safely make it back to your room?"

Harry tensed angrily but really didn't have the energy to fight with the man tonight so he shrugged instead. Severus watched him impassively, surprised not to get a rise out the boy.

"So is everyone accounted for?" he asked pointedly, keen to get the infuriating boy out of his office.

"Yes sir, we've just had dinner. Everyone is still in one piece, although.."

Snape's eyes narrowed. "What happened?"

"Nothing sir. It's just I'm not feeling well. I wondered if you give me anything for it?"

The professor sighed in annoyance. "You look perfectly fine to me Potter. What are the symptoms?"

Harry took a deep breath, keeping his emotions in check. Why did the man always have to be so unpleasant. It wasn't his fault Snape had such a grudge against his father.

"It's nothing really," he said wearily. "A sore throat and a headache and I've been coughing a bit."

"Sounds like a cold Potter. Do you really need a potion for a cold? I know you're used to everyone running around after you but really..."

"Never mind sir, I'm sorry I asked." He turned angrily and strode towards the door feeling the humiliation creek across his cheeks.

"Potter!"

Harry stopped at his professors sharp retort and turned to find the man had stood and was moving towards him.

"Here," he said handing over a small vial of grey fluid. "A cold draught. Come here immediately after breakfast and I will give you another one."

Harry tried to ignore the sarcastic amusement on the man's face and downed the potion in one, placing the empty vial on the table and walking straight out.

By the time he got back to his dorm he was furious. It was awful to be hated so much by someone who had authority over him. And now he had to go back in the morning and go through that rubbish all over again. Harry quickly changed into his pyjamas and climbed under the covers of his bed, shivering violently at the cold air. The potion hadn't seemed to help at all, he felt terrible.

)O(

Severus sat nursing his brandy by the fire, brooding darkly. He actually felt a little ashamed of himself. As much as he hated the boy, it had been unconscionable to use an illness against him in that way. The last thing he wanted was for students who were ill to stay away for fear of ridicule. He must make an effort to be neutral in the morning he thought as he prepared for bed.

By eleven the next morning, all thoughts of being pleasant to the brat had dissipated. He had specifically told Potter to return immediately after breakfast and the boy was nowhere to be seen. He strode through the Griffindor common room and marched up to the dormitories with a long list of unpleasant punishments and tasks already prepared in his mind. All of which evaporated at the first sign of the young man shivering in his bed.

"Dear heaven," he whispered shakily crossing quickly to Harry's bedside and laying a hand on his burning forehead. Harry was curled up on his side shaking violently, his sheets soaked through with sweat.

But what was startling the professor so thoroughly was not the obvious illness but the fact that he could see every one of Potters ribs through his thin nightshirt. He carefully lifted the shirt and stared in confusion at the yellowing bruises that ran the whole length of Harry's sides. Rolling the boy slightly, he winced at the red marks covering his back. Old marks; a belt buckle, he thought darkly. Severus had a few of those marks himself.

"Harry never goes home for Christmas."

Minerva's words echoed in his memory and he lay the shirt back down with a shaky hand.

"Damn it Potter," he growled; but he knew the anger was not aimed at the boy, nor even the one who had hurt him. This time it was all for himself.

It was a little known fact that Slytherin house had more than its fair share of abused kids coming through each year and Severus believed he had become somewhat of an expert at spotting them. But he had taught this boy for six years and had never seen, even suspected...

"You see what you expect to see Severus."

The headmaster's voice echoed in his head and Severus hissed angrily. So much for protecting Lily's child. They has all been so busy guarding against Death Eaters that they hadn't realized they were sealing the boy up in a vipers den every summer.

"Potter!"

He shook the boy's shoulder roughly and when he got no response, turned his head to lift a eyelid. Harry's eyes were rolled backwards and his breathing sounded rattly, his chest clearly congested.

After summoning his house elf to fetch supplies, the potions professor spent the next few hours stabilizing the very sick boy. He treated the chest infection and fever, including nutrient potions and healing draughts which he spelled directly into the boy's stomach. He then cast an eye over the older injuries, finding broken ribs, a partially healed wrist and skull fracture. The ribs and skull fracture he was able to fix quickly; the wrist was going to need more expert care as it had clearly started healing at a wrong angle.

He then levitated Harry above the bed, changed the sheets, and conjured a fresh set of pyjama bottoms, leaving the boys chest bare. His temperature was still elevated so he conjured a fresh sheet to cover him but left the other blankets in a pile at the bottom of the bed. He ran his wand over the boy and nodded in satisfaction. Harry was breathing properly now, his fever was back at a safe level and the shivering had stopped. Severus cleaned away the empty potion bottles and conjured over a chair beside the bed. He called his elf back.

"Could you please bring my lunch here and let the other students know that Harry is unwell and will be staying in bed today. Ask them not to visit and assure them that I am keeping an eye on him."

The elf nodded and popped away and Severus sighed and rubbed the bridge of his nose. He wandered around the room looking at the photos and posters displayed above each bed. He had never been in these dorms before having never had cause to come further than the common rooms in any house other than his own. He glanced at the cluttered desk at the bottom of Potters bed and picked absently at the papers gathered there and the detailed homework plan that was taped to the wall. He noticed with surprise that the list had been ticked off and the boy now seemed to be working on work for next term.

Severus sat at the desk in a position that would allow him to see if Potter woke up and reached for the book pile, selecting the two potion books that had been set for the next term. He glanced through seeing the pages that Potter had bookmarked and reading the notes the boy had made for himself.

Many of the pages seemed to have little yellow squares of paper stuck to them that the professor had never seen before. They pulled easily off the page and could be stuck back down. Seeing a pile of them on the desk he lifted them up and read the back – "Post-it's". Must be a muggle invention he thought absently wondering if there was anything similar in the wizarding world.

Potter's notes were quite detailed,

Revise similar potion from first year before term.

Practice stage one of this over holidays- ? Snape's lab

Look up other options for catalysts and safe combinations.

Severus glanced at the rest of the books piled on the desk and noted that a third of them had similar yellow labels sticking out of the corners. The boy was creating a job list for himself for the rest of the holiday. He felt his gut tense slightly as another preconception slowly fell apart. This was not the work desk of a lazy pupil, drifting through school on his fame and name alone.

He glanced up to the shelves above and noticed the colour coded files for each subject, another muggle method of working that looked rather sensible. A thick purple file labelled DA caught his attention. What subject was that? Feeling rather guilty, he pulled the file from the shelf and opened it. The first page was a heavy piece of parchment that practically throbbed with magic. Scrawled across the top was "Dumbledore's Army" with "Defence Association" in brackets beside it. Below were 24 names signed in quill. So this was the practice group that had caused Umbridge so much trouble last year.

He spent nearly an hour reading through the detailed notes the group had kept of each session, recognising the handwriting of Harry, the Granger girl and Ron Weasley. At the end of each session the trio had noted how everyone was doing and agreed on the pairs that would be working together on the next session, deliberately putting those who had done well on a particular exercise with those who were struggling.

It was an excellent system and allowed them to begin each new class with a review of the previous one. The group had clearly mastered some very advanced defensive spells and charms and Severus glanced back at the boy with a frown. He had to admit he had thought the whole thing was nothing more than an exercise in rebellion but Potter had clearly equipped his friends with skills that may save their lives in the times to come.

Severus ate his lunch, watching the sleeping teenager and reflected how much his impressions had shifted in the last few hours and all without a word being spoken. He wondered if it was possible to start from scratch with so much bad history between them. He thought it unlikely but at least he could make amends by ensuring those bloody muggles never got the chance to lay a hand on Potter again.

)O(

It was several hours after sundown when Harry finally came round. He opened his eyes groggily, confused to find it was dark and all the lamps in the dorm were on. A quiet movement beside him made him jump and he found himself looking in the face of his most hated Professor.

Harry hurriedly sat up, surprised when Snape leant over to place a pillow behind him.

"Take it easy Potter, you are quite unwell."

For once there was not a trace of the man's usual sarcasm and his expression was particularly grim. Harry searched his memory to work out how on earth he had found himself in his room with Snape playing nursemaid? He remembered getting into bed feeling awful and dropping his glamours and then...shit! His glamours! Harry looked down at his arms and the highly visible scars and his eyes flew up to meet Snape's who were watching him steadily.

Severus saw the fearful panic in the young man's eyes and his heart clenched painfully.

"Don't worry about any of that now Potter. Let's get you well first shall we and then we can talk."

Harry looked down, his face flushed and Severus remembered the lengths he had gone to to hide his own abuse from everyone at that age and how ashamed he had been.

"I don't want you to worry about this Potter. You've done nothing wrong and you don't have to talk about it until you're ready."

Harry looked up at his professor, confusion evident on his face.

"Why are you being so nice?" he whispered hoarsely.

Severus raised his eye brow at the question and then replied deadpan.

"Christmas cheer, it runs out at midnight on the 25th so make the most of it."

The boy smiled at that and nodded gently, relieved not to be facing an inquisition about his injuries.

Severus helped him walk through to the bathroom and freshen up and then fed him several potions before seeing him safely back in bed. As he left Harry sleeping and went to check in with his other young charges, Severus could not help the feeling that something massive had shifted in him.

He felt as if the wall he had so carefully built between himself and the rest of the world had come shattering down and was not at all sure how that had happened. It was frankly quite terrifying.

To be continued...
Chapter 2 by Kendra James

Harry slept fitfully that night; waking frequently with coughing fits. Every time he woke there was a steady hand waiting to help him sit up and a glass of ice water quickly available. By morning Harry could feel the tightness in his chest loosening and was finding it much more comfortable to breath.

He wondered guiltily if his professor had slept at all and remembered the man's words at the start of the holiday when he had declared he had lots of work to do. Harry sighed heavily. Snape was the last person he would have wanted to discover his secret, but the man had been quite decent about things last night. He hadn't mocked at all, or even been angry about the glamours.

Harry wondered nervously if it would last or if the professor would be back to his old snarky self today? The sound of a soft tread on the steps up to the dormitories interrupted his musing and Harry sat up, shoving his pillows behind his back.

He watched nervously as the professor entered the room, noting the man's damp hair and change of clothes. He had obviously come straight from the shower.

Severus eyed the boy appraisingly, trying not to look to fierce and temper his normal glare. Having practised that particular expression for so many years, it was hard to know how to arrange his features differently but the boy did not look too terrified so that had to be a good sign.

He lay a few potions vials on the bedside table and conjured the armchair over.

"You look a little better this morning. How is the breathing?"

Harry shrugged. "It doesn't hurt any more and I feel much better."

The professor handed each of the potions to Harry and poured him a cup of water before ordering tea and toast for them both.

"I have instructed your fellow students to stay away for a few days; partly to ensure they don't catch your cold and partly so that you don't have to worry about your appearance." Severus explained quietly, watching as the boys cheeks flushed.

He waited for Harry to make eye contact again and when it seemed that was not going to happen he continued anyway, hoping he was listening.

"It's very important that you don't try and recast the glamours right now. You are far from the well and the drain on your magical and physical energy could be dangerous.

"Potter, do you understand?"

Harry nodded, keeping his eyes focused on the bedspread and hoping that the the professor would consider him still to ill to start asking difficult questions. Harry was no where near ready to answer them.

They ate in silence and Harry slowly found himself relaxing again as he drank the hot, sweet tea and even managed a few half slices of toast. Once they had finished, the professor tidied the trays away and pulled a jar of ointment out of his bag.

"If you have no objections, I have a jar of anti- scarring cream that I would like to apply to your cuts."

Harry nodded his assent and watched as the man washed his hands and then knelt beside Harry's bed with the jar and a wad of cotton swabs. Harry rolled over as the man gently pushed him onto his side and moved the back of his pyjama top up to shoulder height.

Harry sighed as he felt the cool cream covering the still tender welts on his back and shoulders. It felt icy against his too hot skin and he thought vaguely that it would be nice to fill a bath with the stuff and just climb in.

"I'm afraid it's unlikely to have any effect on the older scars but you should see an improvement on anything that's less than a year old."

Harry found the enormity of the situation suddenly crashing down on him. No one had seen these scars; no one! Only Uncle Vernon and him knew what happened in that house. He wasn't even sure his Aunt really knew what happened during her weekly outings to the supermarket?

He fought against the sudden panic, he was not supposed to tell. That had always been the rule.

"I fell." he said quietly, cringing as he felt the hand applying the cool salve still for a moment.

After a pause, Severus resumed his work.

"Yes, I see that Potter," he said quietly; his voice curiously flat. "You fell repeatedly; over many years; on the same belt buckle."

Harry pulled away and wrenched his pyjama top down, pulling his knees up until he sat huddled against the headboard. He stared fiercely at a spot on the wall. He would not cry; he would not cry in front of Snape. He knew the bastard would mock him, he just knew it!

There was a moment of unbearable silence, broken by the professors quiet admission.

"I myself suffered from a similar clumsiness when I was young."

It took a moment for Snape's words to sink in and once they did Harry froze, startled green eyes flying to meet the serious grey ones that were watching him sadly.

"You...you did?"

Severus nodded. "My father," he said simply. "Although a dog chain was his tool of choice. I imagine he thought it was more humiliating and therefore decreased the possibility of me telling anyone what he had done."

Harry was speechless. His mind completely numbed by his professors words and the fact that he had told him; Harry Potter! The student he hated the most.

Bloody hell Harry; say something, he thought desperately. Don't just sit here like a complete idiot.

Before he could get his brain to work, Snape had moved from his position beside the bed and taking one last bit of the salve, lifted Harry's chin and gently covered the mark on his cheek.

He placed the pot on the bedside table and refreshed the water jug before turning and giving the shell shocked boy a faint smile.

"Get some rest Harry. I will send one of the house elves up to keep an eye on you." He paused and sighing softly added. "You don't have to tell me what happened or speak about any of this during these holidays but we will have to address things before the next summer break. You may very well choose to tell me nothing and that is fine too. I'm sure there are others you would prefer to confide in. However, I won't accept any tales about falling, walking into cupboards or whatever other things you have come up with over the years. It is important for you that you learn that what has been done to you is wrong and that you have no responsibility to cover up for whoever has hurt you. It is for that reason that I won't accept such things. Sleep well Harry, you will feel better soon."

The professor left the room, closing the door quietly behind him and Harry slid down under the covers with a sob. He didn't know why it should seem so important but all that he could think of was that Snape had called him Harry; twice! Somehow that felt better than any potion or any of the kind words the man had said.

Harry took a shuddering breath and closed his eyes. Maybe he really would feel better soon; about everything.

To be continued...
Chapter 3 by Kendra James

It was dark when Harry woke and dragged himself to the bathroom. He could not believe that he had slept solidly all day. He felt much improved and apart from a rather painful throat and headache was feeling better than he had since arriving at Privet Drive the previous summer.

He stripped his pyjamas off and climbed under the dormitories shower, turning the water on full to blast away the grimy feeling of illness from skin. Harry leant against the wall and let the water pummel him. It had been too painful to do this most of the term. He looked down at his chest which was now almost bruise free and took a deep breath in. Something else he had not been able to do.

This was shaping up to be a rather eventful holiday he thought with a smile; and Snape, well Snape had been....nice.

Harry left the shower once the water started to lose it's heat and wrapping a large towel round his waist, padded back into the dormitories to find his professor had returned.

The man looked up as he entered and gave him a worried frown. Harry knew he must still look ridiculously thin but consoled himself that at least this hadn't happened at the beginning of term when he had looked a whole lot worse.

"Thank you for sorting my ribs out sir."

The professor inclined his head in acknowledgement and lifted the scar salve from the bedside table.

"May I?"

Harry turned so that his back was facing the man and stood self consciously as Snape carefully covered every welt with salve. Firm hands turned him and applied smears of the clear liquid to marks on his shoulders and neck that had been missed the night before and the one on his cheek.

"Would it work on this sir?" Harry lifted his left hand to show the ugly raised skin that spread diagonally from wrist to index finger.

"What is this? What the hell is this?!" Snape spat angrily causing Harry to take an unconscious step backward.

'I must not tell lies' was still clearly visible between the raised scars.

"Erm... Umbridge's detentions last year," he explained nervously.

Snape's expression changed to one of absolute fury and Harry snatched his hand away.

"SHE USED A BLOOD QUILL ON A STUDENT?!" he roared and then seeing Harry's expression, closed his eyes and took a deep shaky breath before lowering his voice to a soft growl that if anything was worse.

"How many detentions did you serve with her Harry?"

"Erm, about twenty I think."

Snape winced and then his eyes still closed asked. "And was anyone else subject to this....treatment."

"Yeah, load of kids. I think it was just me for the first term because she was angry I had said Voldermort was back but probably half of Griffindor had detentions with her in the end and certainly all of the DA...erm, I mean the Defence study group we had."

Severus opened his eyes and regarded the teenager before him impassively. He had been subject to an illegal assault, by a professor in this school and was talking about it as if it was perfectly normal.

"Did you never think to inform your head of house about this punishment?"

"Well, erm." Harry was seriously confused. Why was Snape making such a big deal of this. "I think she knew, I mean she told me to just keep my head down and try not to make things worse."

"Harry," the professor said quietly. "I assure you she didn't. Professor McGonagall spent half of last year pacing the staff room, raging because one of her students had received a slap on the hand with a ruler. Blood Quills are illegal, anywhere. Even owning one can get you a hefty fine."

"You're kidding!" Harry blurted out and Severus smiled wryly.

"Have you heard of the expression 'writing a contract in blood'?" and at the boys confused expression explained. "When you write something in your own blood you are making a magical contract to comply with the wording, so to make someone write something of your choosing is a form of forced suggestion. It's considered the same as using an Imperius curse. In other words Professor Umbridge was using an unforgivable on her students."

Harry's eyes widened in shock. "Bloody hell!" he whispered.

"Indeed Potter, come here."

Harry stepped forward and allowed the professor to take his hand and apply a liberal dollop of the salve over the white lines. Severus carefully probed the wrist at the same time, pleased to see it not appear too tender.

"Madam Pomfrey will have to re break that bone and straighten it a little once she is back but we should have it all sorted before the start of term. Will you be able to sleep tonight?"

Harry nodded. "I think so. I'm still pretty tired. Thanks for looking after me professor."

Severus gave the boy a faint smile. "You are welcome. I have left some potions on the side for you to take before you sleep and will send some more up with your breakfast. The fireplace in your common room is connected to the floo so if you start feeling unwell again then just throw some powder in the fire and call me."

Harry nodded, "I will."

He watched the professor leave the room and sat down on the side of his bed, his fingers going to trace the scars on his hand. Had none of the professors known what was going on? Snape had looked absolutely furious and Harry had to confess he had assumed that this type of punishment would be Snape's kind of thing; especially when dished out to Griffindors.

Harry climbed into some fresh pyjamas and curled up in the armchair Snape had vacated, happy to see a large bowl of stew and plate of fresh bread had appeared on the table. He ate it all hungrily and even had room for one of the chocolate frogs Ron had left him as a dessert.

He then grabbed one of the potions books he had been working on and climbed back into bed, surprised to find a few pages of parchment fall out of the back. Picking them up, his eyes widened in surprise. It was his potions assignment for the holidays and it was marked! Harry read the detailed comments, pleased to see he seemed to have done well. At the bottom instead of a mark, there was a yellow post -it with his professors spidery handwriting on it.

Mr Potter,

On the whole, this is an excellent essay and would currently receive an 'Exceeds Expectations' mark. However an extra paragraph on alternative applications for the potion would raise this to an 'O' and I thought you might like the chance to make the addition.

Could you also please tell me where I can procure some of these 'post-its'? They are rather useful.

Professor Snape.

Harry laughed and placing the essay on his bedside table, settled down to read a chapter of his book before sleep. The world had turned on it's head, he thought with a snort. Maybe he should write to Fred and George and suggest they sell muggle stationary supplies. It could be a useful side line.

Harry managed about four pages before he drifted off, his face pressed into the page of the book and slept a wonderful dream and cough free night.

)O(

Severus paced the floor of his study, his anger made worse by the few hours of sleep he had in the last few days. A blood quill! That toad of a woman had used a blood quill on his students! He knew it was irrational but he was angrier about that than the marks inflicted by those blasted muggles.

Hogwarts was meant to be a safe place he thought with a snarl. For many of the students in his house it was the only safe place in their otherwise miserable lives; Potter too he added sadly, still finding that mental adjustment painful.

The large glass of brandy in his hand was slowly steadying the man's nerves and eventually he was able to sit and think more rationally. That did not however calm his anger.

If that bloody woman thought she had gotten away with this then she was in for a nasty surprise. Indulging himself in a leery snarl, he reached for a roll of parchment and a quill and began plotting.

To be continued...
End Notes:
Reviews give me warm fuzzy feelings.
Chapter 4 by Kendra James

Harry woke ridiculously early the next day to a soft tapping. Hedwig was sat peering at him through one of the tower windows and he bounded over to let her in. He lifted her to his shoulder and detached the bundle of letters from her foot. She had obviously been to the burrow as he immediately recognised Ron and Ginny's handwriting as well as one of the twins.

The owl hooted softly and nudged his ear with concern and he realized that he must look very different to her. She hadn't seen him without the glamours for a while either.

'I'm all right Hedwig. I just have a cold.'

He pulled a biscuit out of his food stash and broke a piece off for her before chucking the letters onto his desk and running through to the shower. It felt so good to have energy again.

By the time Harry emerged, dressed and hungry, a breakfast tray had appeared beside his bed with three potions on it and a small roll of parchment which he immediately unravelled.

Mr Potter,

Should you need any assistance today I will be potions lab 5. I suggest you stay in your house and I have instructed the other students to leave you in peace. I will check in on you this evening.

Professor Snape

Harry added the parchment to the mess on his desk and tucked into his breakfast, happy to have an excuse not to see anyone for a while. He wanted to get back to his studies and think about the last few days. It had been his worst nightmare that someone would find out about the Dursley's but now that it had happened he felt a strange sense of relief.

He tried not to think about the fact that he would now have to tell Dumbledore or at the very least his head of house before next summer. The fact that Professor Snape had reacted so calmly had helped a lot and made him think that maybe it wouldn't be so bad. So long as the newspapers didn't find out...Harry shuddered at that thought and decided he would not dwell on this any more today.

Instead he sat down to read through his letters and spent the morning replying to his friends and making the additions to his potions essay that the professor had suggested. Lunch appeared with a pop in the common room and Harry paused to eat before launching straight back into his study plan. Harry couldn't ever remember working this hard on his studies before but then he had never been allowed access to his text books over a holiday before either.

By the time Professor Snape appeared in the common room that evening, Harry had worked his way through every text book on the next terms list. He hadn't bothered to read in detail, just scan through looking for spells or terms that seemed difficult so he could label it and go back over more thoroughly later.

Severus walked into the room to find the boy cross legged on the floor beside the fire and surrounded by books. Every one of the books had now had been subject to the yellow label treatment, Severus noted with a wry smile.

'You've been busy,' he stated quietly.

Harry looked up nervously. Would the pleasant treatment continue now that he was feeling better, he wondered.

'Just skim reading really, so I know what to come back to.'

'I noticed that there were a few potions you wanted to practice before term in your notes?' The older man stated and at Harry's nod continued. 'I am working in lab 5 all this week on some supplies for the hospital wing so if you wanted to set up there tomorrow then I could supervise you?'

Harry felt his tension dissipate somewhat. Snape seemed to be holding the truce so he guessed he could too.

'That would be great sir, if it wouldn't distract you?'

'I'm sure I will cope,' Severus answered wryly. ' As you are in hiding so to speak, I thought you might like to join me for dinner this evening in my quarters rather than spend the entire day on your own.'

Harry's eye's widened in surprise. 'Erm..yeah, thanks. That would be nice.'

'Well, go grab a jumper then. We can take the floo from the main corridor and avoid your fellow boarders.'

Severus watched as the young man ran up the stairs to his dorm, his eyes going back to the pile of study notes on the floor. He honestly felt as if he was meeting a completely different Harry Potter. Severus remembered all of the conversations he had heard in the staff room, enthusing about Potter's talent, Potter's dedication, Potter's perfect essay mark. He had honestly thought his colleagues were completely deluded but now he wondered what on earth had been going wrong in potions?

It was clear that Harry truly was a dedicated student, but even allowing for his own misconceptions, the boy really did not ever produce anything higher that adequate in his class. Was it just not his subject? Given Harry's ambition to be an auror, that would be unfortunate. Severus decided he would put some time into finding out.

Harry appeared back in the common room, his head half out through the top of a baggy maroon jumper with a large dragon on the front.

Severus raised an eyebrow at this but the boy just grinned as he pulled the jumper over his T shirt.

'Mrs Weasley,' he said with a smile. 'She likes to knit.'

Severus pointed to the pile of letters neatly stacked on the floor. 'Do those need to go as well? I have some correspondences to send this evening so can add them to mine if you like?'

Harry grabbed the pile and followed his professor out of the common room.

)O(

They ate in the kitchen of Severus's rooms, perched on the end of a rickety pine table that was mainly covered in piles of essays, class notes and letters. Snape's quarters were not entirely what Harry had expected. The lounge and study were dark but not unwelcoming but it was clear that the kitchen was where the man spent most of his time.

'Do you have a potions lab down here as well sir?'

Snape shook his head and took a sip of his tea. 'I have a separate store cupboard down here for my private work but I use the lab behind the potions classroom. It is easier to keep an eye on those that take a while to brew if they are close to where I am teaching. What have you been been studying today?'

Harry went on to describe the charms texts he had been reading and his plan to practice some of the easier exercises before term started and revise a few he had had difficulty with last year. The professor asked questions now and then, mainly to encourage the boy to keep talking and ensure he stayed relaxed.

Once they had finished eating, he gave Harry the last of the potions he would need to take to clear his cold and handed the boy a small wooden box.

'That has a two week supply of a diet supplement I have been making for a national sports team. If you take one morning and night it should help you get your weight up before term starts. Do you have many jumpers like that one?'

Harry looked down at his Weasley jumper with a frown. 'I have a similar green one, why?'

'Because it's baggy enough to hide your figure.' The professor said quietly. 'You don't want to have to hide away for the rest of the Christmas break and I really don't want you to put your glamours back up.'

Harry nodded his understanding. He was an expert at hiding his appearance and was pretty sure he could pull it off now that the visible marks had almost gone.

'Can I move about as normal tomorrow, sir?'

Severus nodded. 'I don't see why not. It might be worth joining your fellow students at some point so they don't start panicking. Our Head Boy has been asking after you three times a day and is frankly starting to irritate me.'

Harry grinned at the professors snarl. When not directed at him, the man's humour was actually rather funny. For the first time Harry could see why the Slytherin's laughed when Snape was in full sarcastic flow in the classroom.

'Maybe I will join them for breakfast.'

'If you still want to have a go at that potion then come down for around 11. I should be ready to help you set up at that point.'

Harry nodded and got to his feet. 'I might as well walk back up to the dorms. Shall I add my letters to the pile?' Harry pointed to the large stack of addressed envelopes sat on the table and thought he saw a brief smile cross the professors face.

'Yes, just put them on the top. All those letters will be going off tonight.'

Severus walked Harry to the door of his chambers and waved away his 'Thanks for dinner sir.'

'You are welcome Potter. Try not to get lost on the way back to the tower won't you. That bloody Hufflepuff will think I've buried you in the grounds somewhere.'

Harry chuckled. 'I'll do by best sir.'

Severus watched the boy leave and then picked up the pile of envelopes and grabbed his cloak. If he got these all off tonight then he would hopefully have some replies by Christmas. Then he would have an idea of how to proceed.

If he was lucky, that annoying ghost might put in an appearance as well in the next few days. Then the fun could really begin.

To be continued...
Chapter 5 by Kendra James
 

Chapter Five

 

Harry groaned as the the liquid in his cauldron turned a sludgy grey. This was starting to get embarrassing. His potions professor, who had been standing with his arms folded across his chest gave an annoyed huff and waved his wand to banish the offending mess.

 

'Congratulations Mr Potter, you have managed to mess up a second year potion, three times in one afternoon.'

 

'I know,' Harry said miserably. 'I couldn't get this one right in second year either.'

 

'Well, if you can't manage this first stage you are never going to cope with the more advanced levels this year.' Severus sighed heavily. 'Come and have some food and then you can try again.'

 

Harry followed the man dejectedly into his office where a plate of sandwiches was waiting for them. He was feeling a right idiot and the more mistakes he made, the more annoyed Snape was getting. Maybe it was time to give up on the whole auror thing? At least then he could drop potions next year and focus on the subjects he was good at.

 

It was just that despite everything, he actually liked brewing. He liked the feeling of it. Harry loaded his plate, poured some water for himself and took the seat opposite the professor.

 

The two of them sat in silence for a while and ate, Harry feeling nervous in a way he hadn't been since the beginning of the holidays. He watched Snape glowering at him and felt a strange sense of loss. He had liked the lessoning of tension between them and had been starting to feel safe in the man's presence.

 

Harry felt his stomach drop as he realised that once term started, things would go back to normal. He would screw up his potions, Snape would be vile and worse still, the man knew all about the Dursleys.

 

His appetite rapidly vanishing, Harry put the plate back on the table, ignoring the pile of uneaten sandwiches.

 

Severus watched the play of emotions on the boys face and felt his own irritation turning to concern as Potter visibly tensed before him. By the time the boy abandoned his food, Severus was feeling a little alarmed. He hadn't seen that expression on the child's face since his last detention and Severus realised with a sinking feeling that what he had always interpreted as defiance, was more of a closing down.

 

Harry was shutting down emotionally in order to protect himself from attack. Attack from him! He looked back towards the abandoned potion room with a frown. What the hell was going wrong with the boys brewing and more importantly, how did he fix it without pushing him further into his protective shell?

 

He looked back at Potter who was sat nervously, his hands in his lap.

 

'Are you not hungry?' he asked, keeping his voice neutral.

 

Harry shook his head and the potions master tried to contain his irritation.

 

'Shall we talk about what went wrong with the potion?'

 

The boy looked up at him nervously. 'I'm sorry professor, I kept missing the right moment to add the vervain.'

 

'Did you not understand the instructions?'

 

'I did! It's just that I find it hard not to get distracted and if I lose my place I can't find it again.'

 

The professor could hear the frustration in the boys voice.

 

'Well, the instructions in your book are pretty straightforward so maybe we should look at what it is that you find so distracting?'

 

'Normally?' Harry asked in puzzlement. 'I mean in class?'

 

'No Potter, at dinner! Of course I mean in class,' he snapped and then closing his eyes, forced himself to take a deep breath. You're not helping Severus, he rebuked himself silently.

 

Harry swallowed and looked at his feet. What the hell was he doing voluntarily brewing potions with Snape during his holidays? He must be mad.

 

'Mr Potter! I believe I asked you a question?'

 

'Well...erm, Malfoy is always throwing stuff at my cauldron and trying to wind me up and..'

 

'Are you really intending to blame your atrocious lack of potions skills on your fellow classmates?'

 

Harry flushed with anger. 'You asked me what distracted me? If you don't want to hear...,' he trailed off and bit his lip trying to stop the sense of panic that was threatening to overwhelm him.

 

This man knew what Uncle Vernon had done to him; he had seen his back! Why had he trusted Snape after all that the awful things he had said over years; all the times he had humiliated him in front of the whole class?

 

Harry felt his chest constrict in panic. He couldn't breath! It felt like the walls were closing in; there was no way out.

 

Severus found the sharp retort on the tip of his tongue die, as he saw the colour drain from Harry's face and the boy double over, his hands gripping the sides of the armchair.

 

'Potter!'

 

Severus was on his feet in a second, his wand flashing through the air in a hastily cast diagnostic spell. The boy was having a panic attack;

 

Bloody hell, had he caused this?

 

He knelt beside the chair, completely at a loss as to how to calm the child.

 

'Harry! It's all right, calm down.' He laid a hand on the boys back and spoke as gently as he could. 'You're safe Harry, just try and slow your breathing. Slowly now, breath in and out.'

 

It took several minutes before the fog in Harry's brain cleared and he could actually pay attention to what was happening around him. Snape was talking softly and rubbing his back. Harry fought to get his breathing under control and follow the instructions his professor was giving him; at the same time trying to ignore the embarrassment that was now creeping in.

 

He had completely lost it in front of Snape! He was mortified. Harry had experienced several panic attacks when he was younger,mainly when he had been locked in his cupboard; but he had long ago learned to calm himself before one took hold. He closed his eyes tightly and concentrated on his breathing, in-out, in-out. Eventually the pain in his chest cleared and his ears stopped ringing.

 

Harry glanced up at Snape and winced at the fierce expression on the man's face. He looked furious. Harry leapt out of the chair and before Snape could respond had fled from the room, running back to the tower as fast as he could.

 

Severus sat where he was, knelt beside the chair for several minutes, feeling completely stunned. He had no idea what had just happened. Admittedly he had been a bit short with the boy but he had been snapping at Potter for five years and that had never brought a response like that.

 

Getting slowly to his feet, he sighed heavily. He needed to fix this but didn't know where to start. Should he let the boy calm down or follow after him to make sure he was all right?

 

'Dammit Potter,' he whispered in frustration. Things had been going so well.

 

)O(

 

Harry didn't stop running until he had reached his dorm, by which time he was seriously dizzy. He threw himself face down on the bed and let the tears fall as he lay there getting his breath back.

 

He was going to be in enormous trouble for running out like that. Probably a dozen detentions and that pathetic little meltdown had given Snape even more ammunition against him. Just brilliant Harry, well done, he thought bitterly.

 

Harry lay like that for close to an hour, tears pouring silently down his face until his eyelids slowly drifted down and he let sleep take him away.

 

He didn't hear the dorm door open or his professor slip quietly into the room and take the armchair beside his bed.

 

Severus watched as the boy slept, his cheeks flushed and his eyes still puffy from what had obviously been a significant crying fit. He wasn't sure if this was the right course of action but knew that he couldn't leave things like that between them.

 

Every interaction he had had with Potter over these holidays had questioned his judgement and treatment of the boy and today had been no exception. He found the thought of returning to their previous...hostility, intolerable.

 

It was several hours before Harry stirred and Severus watched as the teenager became aware of his surroundings and wiped his face tiredly. Severus gave a quiet cough to alert the boy of his presence and sighed as Harry almost bolted from the bed.

 

The stared at each other for a moment until his quiet, 'Sit down Potter,' brought the boy back to the present.

 

Harry climbed back onto his bed and sat against the headboard, drawing his knees up to his chest. He watched as the professor poured out two large mugs of tea and added a vial of potion to each of them.

 

'A calming draught for both of us,' he explained and Harry nodded.

 

Harry accepted the mug and cradled the warm cup against his chest nervously. What was the man doing here again and which Snape was it? The one who had looked after him so carefully this week or the other one? The one who made his life a living hell. There was an uneasy silence as they both drank their teas and Harry felt the subtle effects of the potion working through him. He drew in a shaky breath and let it out slowly, allowing the tension to drain from his shoulders at the same time.

 

Severus noted the change with approval. Maybe now they were both calm enough to continue.

 

'Are you feeling better, Harry?'

 

The boy flushed and looked down. 'Yes sir, I'm sorry...sorry I lost it like that?'

 

'You have nothing to apologise or be embarrassed about,' Severus answered quietly. 'Have you had attacks like this before?'

 

The teenager nodded. '...but not for a long time and never at Hogwarts.'

 

'Well, I imagine it feels safer here than at home?'

 

'Normally yes.' Harry mumbled.

 

'But not with me?' Snape asked so quietly that Harry barely heard him and to his shame, Harry felt tears prick at the back of his eyes. He would not cry in front of Snape; he would not. Today had been bad enough.

 

'Harry I must apologize for being so short with you this afternoon. It was not my intention to upset you.'

 

'S'ok,' Harry mumbled, embarrassed. Snape was apologizing to him! How was he supposed to respond to that?

 

'I realise that we have not had the easiest of working relationships, but I really would like to get to the bottom of what is going wrong for you in potions.' Severus paused and watched the boy carefully. He was clearly still emotionally wrought and this was a Potter he didn't know how to deal with. Defiant he was used to.

 

No, not defiant, he corrected himself; scared, All these years, scared of him.

 

'You were attempting to explain how you get distracted in class and I don't believe I allowed you to finish. Perhaps you could try again and I will attempt to temper my usual...' Severus struggled for the words.

 

The boy smiled faintly and Severus wondered just how many words the teenager had come up with silently just now.

 

Harry took a deep breath and attempted to explain.

 

'Potions is the one class where the house rivalries are...difficult,' he said tentatively. 'There is always someone trying to sabotage someone else's work or an argument going on. I just find it really difficult to concentrate and I know that you...'

 

Harry bit his lip and looked at the professor anxiously who nodded to indicate he should continue.

 

'I know that you don't like me very much, 'cause I look like my dad and all...and that makes me nervous when you come round to look at our work and I lose my place...'

 

'Is that what happened today?' Snape asked quietly and after a moments hesitation, the boy nodded.

 

Severus listened to the boy in mounting confusion. Where was the thirst to prove the evil potions master wrong, that had gotten so many pupils through potions in the past? This wasn't Longbottom sat in front of him; it was Harry Potter, who had fought Basilisks and faced the dark lord on five separate occasions.

 

'So Potter; we have established that house rivalries and your nervousness of me are not helping matters but I must confess I am finding this difficult to fully understand. You have other practical lessons with Slytherin that according to your school reports, you do well in. Do you not suffer the same distractions in those classes?'

 

'That's different!' the boy exclaimed, and Severus could hear the frustration in his voice.

 

He laid his hand on Harry's arm in an attempt to comfort.

 

'Harry, I'm not trying to catch you out. I genuinely want to help you with this. I realize the significance potions has in your career choice so if we can fix this, it will benefit both of us.' Severus sighed as the tearful boy in front of him shrugged in a defeated way.

 

'Well lets focus on today shall we? Your potion work seemed to be going well until one particular point?'

 

Harry nodded. 'The vervain. I kept missing the right point to add it.'

 

'You missed this three times so it was obviously more than the fact that I was prowling in the background. Did you not understand the instructions in your book?'

 

'Yes but, well this is what I mean about potions being different.' Harry sighed and took a deep drink of his tea, drying to stay calm so that he could explain. 'I'm fine with potions where the tempo doesn't change because it doesn't matter if I get distracted, I can just....sir?'

 

Harry paused as his professors head had shot up and the man was looking at him with startled eyes.

 

'What did you just say?' Snape snapped and Harry felt himself lean back into the headboard.

 

'I...erm...sir?'

 

'You said that the tempo changed? What did you mean by that?'

 

Harry swallowed nervously. Snape had leant forward and was now sitting on the edge of his seat, looking at him with an intenseness that was quite alarming.

 

'Well, you know sir? The rhythm of the potion, it changes midway in this one.'

 

'Where?' the professor asked quietly. 'Where does it change?'

 

Harry paused to think, Snape didn't look mad so maybe he wasn't being stupid after all. He remembered back to the disastrous first attempt this morning.

 

Erm...after the comfrey I think; yeah, you add the comfrey and stir it four times and then it simmers for a while. After about a minute the rhythm changes and everything speeds up. I was OK until then but if I got nervous at any point after that it was like I missed the wave and I couldn't catch up.'

 

There was a minute of quiet whilst Harry looked nervously at his professor. Snape was watching him wide eyed and Harry wasn't sure if the man was about to ask more questions or just yell. He wasn't expecting the slow smile that spread across the professors face or the small chuckle.

 

Severus closed his eyes and leant back in the chair with a deep sigh.

 

'Bloody hell!' he whispered through another chuckle whilst Harry watched with mounting confusion. Once he had got himself back under control Severus opened his eyes and turned to face the rather nervous looking boy.

 

'I think we have discovered the problem Potter,' he said wryly and Harry sat forward in interest.

 

'The 'tempo' you are describing is what potions master call 'attunement resonance'.'

 

'I haven't heard of that before sir.'

 

Severus laughed and ran a shaky hand through his hair. 'No Potter, you wouldn't have. It's not something that is taught to school students. It's not a term you would even hear until well into a potions masters training and that's because few wizards can do it?'

 

'Can do what?'

 

'Sense the rhythm of a potion Potter. Your little 'problem' as we shall call it, is that you are sensing something that none of your classmates are and you have been trying to brew your potions at a level more advanced that most of the potions masters in this country.'

 

Harry's eyes widened. 'You mean I'm not,...I'm not meant to be feeling for the right moment to add stuff.'

 

Snape laughed bitterly. 'No Potter, you are meant to be following the instructions and taking your best guess like everyone else in your class.'

 

'Just guess! That doesn't sound very good. I don't think I would like doing that.'

 

The professor looked at the outraged expression on Harry's face with amusement.

'..and that, Mr Potter is the frustration of every potions master who finds themselves teaching in a school or working in a busy lab. It is impossible to stay attuned when surrounded by other people. That is why the potions you brew in school are not ones that require you to be sensitive to the magical energies. It's no different than cooking really.'

 

Harry groaned and buried his head in his hands, his words muffled through his fingers.

 

'I never understood how everyone else could do it. How they could all keep mucking around and still get it right.'

 

'Few of your peers ever get it right Potter, but almost right is good enough at this level. Very few students have any sense of the subtleties of brewing.'

 

Harry sat back up, a wry smile on his face.

 

'You said that the first day,' and at Snape's questioning frown. 'My first class in first year, you said you didn't expect many of us to understand the subtle art that is potion making but for the select few that possess the predisposition you could teach us how to brew fame, bottle glory and even...'

 

'Potter!' The professor interrupted, his face blank. 'I remember that day, I gave you detention.'

 

'Yes, I remember that sir. For not paying attention,' the boy said bitterly.

 

'How do you remember.....? You were doodling on your notebook.'

 

'I was writing down what you were saying!' Harry snapped, the first sign of temper showing itself.

 

Severus sighed and leant back against the back of the chair. He had given that speech to every first year class he had ever taught but had never had a student quote it back at him before; Never mind a student he had promptly punished for actually taking notes.

 

He looked up at the boy who was scowling back at him and said quietly.

'Sorry doesn't seem to be enough somehow, does it?'

 

Harry's scowl cleared and he looked down.

 

'What happens now sir, I mean once term starts?'

 

'We could try a fresh start? Do you think you could give me that?'

 

The boy looked up hopefully and that somehow made Severus feel worse. The brat should be furious with him; not looking at him with those green eyes full of pleading as if he'd just been offered a bag of sweets.

 

Definitely Lily's child, he thought with a heavy heart. She was too forgiving as well.

 

'Well at least I know how to help you get through potions now. I can teach you an exercise that will allow you to ignore....,' Severus stopped mid sentence and groaned heavily. 'Dammit!' he swore with feeling.

 

'Professor?'

 

Snape was looking at him with such a stricken expression on his face that Harry moved cautiously to the side of the bed and lowered his legs to the floor.

 

'Sir, are you all right?'

 

'Oh Harry,' he whispered and touched the boys arm lightly. 'This gift you have, it means you are very sensitive to outside magical energies and it is almost impossible for you to block them. You will have to learn a type of redirection so that you can feel them but not be influenced.'

 

'I don't understand,' Harry questioned. Why was his professor so upset?

 

'This is a very rare skill Harry and I couldn't have known, but.....' he paused and looked straight into the boys puzzled eyes. 'There is no way you could have mastered occlumency with me last year. Not using those methods.'

 

Severus saw the shocked realization in the boys eyes and had to resist the urge to reach out to him.

 

'You mean...it wasn't my fault?' he whispered hoarsely and Severus shook his head.

 

He watched with horror as the boy seemed to crumble before him and without realising he had moved, found himself sat beside Harry, an arm around the boys shoulders. Had he traumatized him that badly with those awful lessons?

 

Harry's shoulders shook as great, heaving sobs tore through his body. He couldn't have stopped it; it wasn't his fault!

 

'I thought...,' he sobbed. 'I thought I killed him; that if I'd tried harder...'

 

Severus felt his gut tighten in anguish. The boy believed that Black had died because of him. He tightened his hold on Harry's shoulders and spoke urgently and what he hoped was gently into the boys ear.

 

'Sirius Black was a grown man who knew the risks when he left the house that day. You were caught by an elaborate trap that we all should have anticipated and prevented.' He sighed heavily. ' I know the headmaster greatly regrets not having explained his concerns to you directly and I too wish I had...acted differently. You did not kill your godfather Harry. You must believe me on this.'

 

The boys sobs increased and Severus sat quietly beside him, hoping that his words had gotten through and today's revelations had helped in some way.

 

When Harry's cries had calmed to a few sniffs, Severus moved away and returned with a wet cloth and some tissues. He let Harry clean himself up and then returned to sit in the chair, pulling it close enough that he could keep a hand on the boys arm. Eventually, the child sat up and looking much younger than his sixteen years smiled weakly at him.

 

'Thanks sir,' he whispered and Severus nodded.

 

'This had been a difficult day Harry and I apologize for that. Are you feeling calmer?'

 

'Yeah, I'm hungry,' he added with a laugh and Severus smiled wryly. 'I'm not surprised, you ran way without eating any of your lunch. Did you have breakfast with the others?'

 

Harry shook his head. 'I overslept!'

 

The professor frowned. 'If we were in term, I would take points for missing two meals in a row. Don't let it happen again.'

 

'No sir.'

 

They made eye contact and both smiled weakly.

 

'Can I try the potion again sir? Maybe tomorrow?' he asked hopefully and the professors smiled increased.

 

'I rather think you might be busy tomorrow Harry.'

 

Harry frowned.

 

'It's Christmas day, Harry! You know, presents, cake and nauseating sentimentality.'

 

Harry's eyebrows almost disappeared under his fringe. 'It's Christmas eve?!'

 

'Yes Potter, it is. Welcome to the same calender as the rest of us. I believe the Hufflepuff's have a party planned this evening in their common room in place of the normal dinner, so why don't you get yourself cleaned up and head down there? Make sure you remember a baggy jumper.'

 

Harry nodded and stood, wiping his face vigorously on a tissue.

 

'Thank you sir,' he said quietly and to Severus's surprise, the teenager leant forward and gave him an awkward hug before disappearing off into his bathroom.

 

Severus watched Harry go and walked slowly back to the dungeon, his thoughts reeling. Was it worrying that he felt a sense of loss walking away from the boy? That for once the thought of Christmas eve alone in his kitchen did not seem very appealing?

 

)O(

 

To be continued...
Chapter 6 by Kendra James
 

Chapter Six

 

Harry paused outside the entrance to the Hufflepuff common room and tugged on his sweater nervously. He hadn't seen the others for four days and knew the change in his appearance was bound to be startling. It just depended on how observant they were.

 

He uttered the password and stepped through into the cosy room. There were three large sofas arranged in a circle and a large table in the middle that seemed to be creaking under the weight of the food piled on it.

 

'Harry!' Emma saw him first and jumped up to run over and give him a quick hug.

'How are you? You look awful.'

 

Harry laughed. 'Thanks Emma, that's good to know.'

 

Eric snickered and clambered up off one of the sofas to pat Harry on the arm.

 

'Tactful as ever Emma.' He frowned at Harry. 'That must have been some cold. Are you feeling better?'

 

Harry smiled nervously. 'Much better thanks. Is it all right if I join you?'

 

'Of course you can!' Eric pulled Harry over to one of the sofas which Harry sunk into gratefully.

 

'We thought we would start Christmas early with a party tonight and Professor Snape had given us permission to have our meal in here tomorrow as well. Is that OK with you?'

 

Harry nodded. 'Yeah, that's fine. It would have been weird in the Great Hall with so few of us. Is Snape joining us for dinner tomorrow?'

 

Morgan snorted out a mouthful of hot chocolate. 'I bloody hope not! I don't fancy sitting around the fire with that overgrown bat.'

 

Harry shifted uncomfortably whilst Eric gave his house mate a playful swat around the ear. 'Don't be so disrespectful Eric, Professor Snape is not all bad.'

 

'Yeah,' Harry added awkwardly. 'He's actually been pretty decent to me this week. He sat with me all night when I was ill.'

 

Eric eyes widened at that as he poured Harry a glass of juice and handed him a plate.

'That sounds like it was more than a cold?'

 

Harry shrugged.' Yeah, it went to my chest. It was pretty hard to breath for a while and I was sort of out of it for that night. Some rest and a few potions sorted it out though.'

 

Eric watched the younger boy thoughtfully as Harry loaded his plate with roast chicken and potatoes. He really did look pretty awful and Eric wasn't surprised when Emma disappeared for a few moments, only to return with a blanket and some pillows which she insisted on tucking around Harry.

 

They all stuffed themselves silly with food and dessert before starting a rousing game of wizard war games. Each of them had a small army to command over a large world map and Harry was doing rather well until Morgan pulled a sly trick and surrounded his troops.

 

When Severus popped his head in the door at nine thirty he found all four students roaring in laughter as they watched Harry and Emma's entire battalions being wiped out by Morgans. Eric had sensibly retreated to see the outcome before making his next move.

 

The head boy smiled at the professor as he came to perch on the arm of the chair.

Severus arched an eyebrow as he looked at the board before them.

 

'Tactical error Potter?' he asked drily and Harry laughed.

 

'Yes sir; I seriously underestimated the sneakiness of one particular Hufflepuff.'

 

Morgan chuckled. 'Don't feel bad Harry, I always win.'

 

'The battle's not over yet Morgan,' Eric reminded his friend quietly.

 

Severus looked around the room with satisfaction. The students had kept the place reasonably tidy and had decorated the whole room in holly and mistletoe.

 

He noticed the blanket wrapped around Harry and the mass of pillows at his back. It was good to know they were looking out for each other, it certainly made his job easier. He placed the wooden crate he had brought with him onto the floor and waved his wand to open it and reveal 12 bottles of butter beer.

 

'A present from the headmaster,' he said simply. 'He asked me to give these to you tomorrow but seeing as you are starting the celebrations early, I thought you may appreciate these this evening?'

 

'Thanks sir.' Eric pulled out a few bottles and started passing them around and Severus took the opportunity to give Harry a long searching look. Sensing his gaze, the boy looked up and gave a small nod, indicating everything was fine.

 

Satisfied that Potter had calmed from the earlier events of the day the professor stood and moved to leave. 'Your main meal tomorrow will be delivered here at 2pm. Have a good evening.'

 

'Professor, would you not like to join us for a butter beer?' Eric asked seriously.

 

'That's very kind Baxter, but you seem to be coping without me.'

 

Harry looked up from the board with a small frown. 'You could help Emma and I salvage this game sir, if you aren't too busy.'

 

The professor paused for a moment and then nodded, sitting next to Harry on the sofa and accepting the bottle Eric passed him. He looked back at the board and frowned heavily.

 

'I'm not sure it's possible to salvage this Potter.'

 

Severus found himself relaxing back into the sofa as he listened to the students chattering and laughter. He watched idly as Morgan led the slaughter on the board. Erics troops had joined the battle now and it was chaos.

 

Potter had withdrawn his few surviving models who were now prowling around the edge of the battlefield, picking off stragglers here and there. One lone model crept around the foothills and Severus suddenly sat forward as he realised the direction Potter was guiding it.

 

With one swift move, the model launched into the battle and slew both Morgan and Emma's Generals. Both students yelled their outrage as Harry sat back with a satisfied sigh and watched Eric's troops swiftly overrun the board and finish the game.

 

Morgan chucked a pillow at Harry who laughed. 'That was a sneaky move Harry.'

 

'Kill the General and let set someone else deal with the others. That's pretty much my role in life,' Harry said quietly. The students laughed, not catching the reference but Severus gave the boy a sharp look.

 

Surely the boy had not been listening to the rubbish The Daily Prophet had been spouting this year? Why would he think the Dark Lord was his responsibility? Unless Albus had told Potter about the prophecy?

 

Severus felt his good mood evaporating. It would be just like the headmaster to tell a sixteen years old boy that he would be responsible for the fall of the most powerful dark wizard this land had ever known.

 

With what must have been the worlds most ironic timing, Severus felt his mark burst into flame and clamped a hand across his forearm with a wince. Beside him Potters hand flew to his forehead.

 

Severus stood up promptly, placing his almost empty bottle on the table.

 

'I must take my leave; I have a potion I must check on. Enjoy the rest of your evening.'

 

He exchanged a look with Harry, both of them aware of what had happened and Severus felt a strange pang as he recognised concern in the teenagers expression.

Concern for him? Severus paused in the main corridor long enough to fire call Filch and tell him he was leaving the castle and Accio his cloak.

 

He strode out towards the school gates feeling strangely disconnected from what was happening. It had been several months since he had been called and he realized with a pang that he had never felt that he was leaving something before.

 

Severus waited until he was outside of the school boundaries and took a deep breath before apparating away.

 

)O(

 

Harry wandered back to his common room feeling like someone had kicked him in the head. The immediate headache he had had when Snape had been called had lasted for several hours. He then found himself pacing his room wondering if his professor was back safely and if it would be way out of line to go and check.

 

At midnight a large group of owls swooped in through the open window, each carrying a parcel. Harry untied each gift and placed them under the tree, pleased to see Hermoine had managed to do the bit of shopping he had requested.

 

He unpacked the large box that had taken two owls to carry and found five leather notebooks; each in a different colour and a packet of multicoloured post-its. There was also a large box of Honey-dukes chocolate and Harry was pleased to see from Hermoine's receipts that he had sent her enough muggle and wizard money to cover the purchases.

 

Harry wrapped the notebooks individually with a large bar of chocolate and labelled one each for Eric, Morgan and Emma. He had saved the largest notebook for Professor Snape as it was a deep Slytherin green and added the post-its. He slipped in a catalogue for the muggle stationary store Hermione had found them in with a smile. Well the man had asked!

 

He wrapped the last present with a wry smile. I must be completely crazy, Harry thought with a sigh as he wrapped the large bar of chocolate together with a packet of cat treats and a catnip mouse. I can't believe I am wrapping a Christmas present for Filch.

 

It was about 3 am before he finally ran out of excuses for going to bed and collapsed against the pillows.

 

For all I know, Snape is back and snoring his head off and I'm lying here getting in a tiss about nothing, Harry thought before slowly dozing off.

 

Morning seemed to come far too early and Harry wandered back down to the common room, unsure as to what to do. He glanced at the breakfast tray with a sigh. He wasn't sure he could eat right now. Not until he knew if the professor was all right.

 

Making a split second decision, he grabbed the presents for Snape and Filch and pulled his jumper on before heading for the main corridor. At least this way he had an excuse for visiting.

 

)O(

 

Severus sat slumped in the armchair near the fire, his eyes closed as he let the potions working through his system do their work. Last night had not been fun and he didn't think he was ready to sleep yet.

 

The dark lord had been seriously displeased and had made a point of expressing that displeasure on every one of his inner circle. Severus had lost count of how many minutes he had been under the crucio curse but it had been enough to make every nerve sing in pain.

 

He knew from experience that the aching would last for several days. Thank heavens there were no classes to take. He would need some time to settle himself.

 

Severus thought back to what he had leant last night. It was sure to be a blow to the headmaster when he heard about Slughorn. He knew Dumbledore had been trying to recruit the old potions professor for the last year but the man had proved rather illusive.

 

At least the old bastard went down fighting, Severus thought with a snarl. When Lucius had finally tracked Slughorn down, there had been a spectacular duel and two death eaters had been killed.

 

Unfortunately, Horace Slughorn had also been killed in the crossfire and it was interesting that Voldermort had been more upset at that than the loss of two of his most faithful. Severus winced as he remembered the man's rage and the cold way he had turned on Malfoy and struck him down.

 

Lucius Malfoy was dead and Severus couldn't work out how he felt about that. His one time friend and mentor was certainly no loss to the world but somehow he couldn't bring himself to be glad.

 

A quiet knock interrupted his musing and he cursed. Please don't let there be any dramas, he thought with a snarl.

 

'Come in!' he barked; expecting Baxter with a list of inane questions about today's schedule. The door tentatively opened and to his surprise it was Potter who peeked around.

 

Severus remembered the boy grabbing for his scar last night and his eyes narrowed sharply.

 

'Are you unwell?'

 

Potter shook his head and inched further into the room.

 

'No sir, I just wanted to bring you your present.'

 

Severus stared blankly at the brightly coloured gift the boy held in his hand.

'You got me a gift?' and at the boys nod. 'Why?'

 

Harry shrugged. 'It's Christmas sir and I wanted to thank you for looking after me when I was ill.'

 

There was a moments silence and then realising he was still staring vacantly, Severus visibly pulled himself together and stood, reaching the present.

 

'Thank you Potter, that was thoughtful of you. I'm afraid I didn't return the favour. Exchanging gifts is not normally a tradition I follow.'

 

Harry watched his professor in concern. The man was as pale as he had ever seen him and Harry had not missed the way he had steadied himself against the arm of the chair as he stood.

 

'Are you all right sir?' he asked quietly

 

Severus bit back the sharp retort that sprung to his lips, stalled by the genuine worry in the teenagers expression.

 

'I've been better,' he said simply. 'But I'll live.'

 

'Can I do anything?' Harry took a step closer, seeing the line of cold sweat on Snape's forehead.

 

'No Potter,' I just need to rest. 'Thank you again for the gift.'

 

Sensing his dismissal, Harry nodded and turned away. He paused at the door and looked back.

 

'Will you be joining us for Christmas dinner sir?'

 

Severus looked up in surprise. Filch was dining with a friend in Hogsmead today and he had planned to dine alone and leave the teenagers to their celebrations.

 

'Would you like me to?' he asked, immediately embarrassed that the question had slipped past his lips.

 

'I would sir.' Harry said quietly and Severus nodded.

 

'Then I will see you at 2 'O' clock.'

 

He listened as the boys footsteps faded and then sunk back down, turning the gift over in his hands. Other than Albus, who always gave him brandy; he had not received a gift in years.

 

He opened the wrapping carefully, pulling out the smart green journal and packet of post-its with a wry smile. He fingered the parchment style paper curiously; it was much smoother and neater than anything he had seen in Diagon Alley and Severus realized the journal must also be muggle bought. The prefect size for a potions journal and just in time for the new year.

 

Feeling surprisingly touched, he placed the gift on his desk along with the catalogue and limped through to his bed chamber. If he slept for a few hours, he should be well enough to sit through dinner although he wondered wryly if the Hufflepuffs would be as keen to dine with him as Potter had been.

 

)O(

 

Harry knocked on the small wooden door that led to Filch's office with his heart in his mouth. Knowing his luck, the old bastard would give him detention for disturbing him on Christmas day.

 

The door flew open and Filch stood there glowering at him. Harry could see Mrs Norris sat on the desk watching him suspiciously.

 

'What is it?' Filch asked, his eyes narrowing on the skinning boy before him.

 

Harry held out the wrapped gift to him, with what he hoped was a winning smile.

 

'Happy Christmas, Mr Filch.'

 

The man took the gift and scowled at him. 'I suppose it's hexed then, as normal. Those blasted Weasley's put you up to this?'

 

Harry sighed. This had definitely been a bad idea.

 

'No sir, I just wanted to wish you a merry christmas. There is something for Mrs Norris in there as well.'

 

Harry turned and walked away before the man really did give him detention and he ended up spending the day scrubbing the great hall with a toothbrush.

 

Filch looked down at the present in his hand and then at the retreating back of the young man; a strange expression on his face.

 

He placed the gift on his desk and lay a crystal on the top. The large stone gave a pulse of magic and turned green and Filches dark eyes widened in surprise. The parcel was clean of magic.

 

He tore it open and found a large stash of chocolates, and some treats for Mrs Norris. She pounced on the desk and grabbed the catnip mouse before he could even look at it; retreating to her basket with a contented purr.

 

Any student told what happened next would surely have thought they were being wound up, as the stern faced caretaker burst into tears and buried his face in a dirty hanky.

 

'I always liked that Potter,' he told his cat as he blew his nose noisily. Mrs Norris paused from licking the mouse to gaze at him seriously.

 

As if reminded how untrue that particular statement was, Filch blushed and buried his face again.

 

Harry walked slowly up to his common room, his mood having taken a bit of dip. He was worried about Snape; annoyed with Filch and completely unaware he had just made a new friend.

 

)O(

 

A/N- I hope you enjoyed this latest instalment.

Reviews and thoughts gratefully received.

 

 

 

To be continued...
Chapter 7 by Kendra James
 

Chapter Seven

 

Severus paused outside the entrance to the Hufflepuff common room to catch his breath and wipe his face. He was still feeling a little shaky although the rest had helped enormously. It was just past one thirty so he was in plenty of time and he was surprised to realize that he was feeling a little nervous.

 

He had attended staff dinners on previous years but often made an excuse of a previous engagement and left the castle for the day. He really wasn't a big fan of holiday traditions; they just reminded him of all the things he didn't have.

 

He pushed the portrait open and strode in with his normal scowl firmly in place which changed to surprise as he took in the changes to the room.

 

All of the chairs and sofa's had arranged themselves around the edges of the room and a wide dining table had appeared in the centre, set with five places. Dozens of red candles hovered in the air above the table and the fire was roaring so loudly it was echoing off the stone walls.

 

Most startling was the tree in the corner that was now so large it reached all the way to the fifty foot ceiling. Its top branch with a star on was pressed against the roof and slightly bent over.

 

Severus nodded a greeting to the three Hufflepuffs who were sat near the fire and looked back to the tree.

 

'I do not remember that tree being quite so....,' words failed him at this point.

 

'Isn't it great!' Emma enthused, bounding over to his side. 'Harry did it. He wanted to practice an engorgement charm that the 6th years are covering next term so he went around the castle this morning practising on the trees.'

 

Severus looked back at the tree thoughtfully. Engorgement charms were particularly difficult to do and were rarely as tidy as this. He circled the tree, noting how equal the sides were and how all of the ornaments and baubles had also grown in proportion.

 

'It's good isn't it sir?' Morgan added. 'I can never enlarge things more than twice their size but it only took Harry a few attempts.'

 

The professor nodded. 'Where is Potter?'

 

The head boy answered quietly. 'Harry went back to his house for a rest after breakfast. I don't think he slept very well last night. He said he'd be back in time for dinner.'

 

Severus nodded and accepted the glass of butterbeer that Baxter offered him and took a seat near the fire. He watched as Shaklebolt (was it Morgan, he couldn't remember) worked his way through a small fire of presents on the floor, the boys face lighting up in delight.

 

Had Potter received a similar pile of presents, Severus found himself wondering.

If anyone had asked him a week ago his answer would have been immediate. The boy would be spoilt rotten with a pile of expensive gifts from his family and fans. Now he didn't know what to think. Even watching Harry interact with the other students last night had been eye opening.

 

There had been no hero worship from his peers and more noticeably, Potter hadn't seemed to expect it. The boy had been quiet but engaged; taking part in the laughter and games but not dominating. Severus frowned. How had he managed to miss what all of his colleagues had seen so clearly? A good student with a troubled home life.

 

He wondered about the reaction Potter had had last night when he had been called. The boy had clearly felt the call in his scar and Severus winced at the thought that he might still be having visions of Voldermort. Yet another thing they would have to tall about.

 

Harry appeared just before dinner was served, still looking tired and pale but cheerful. There was an abundance of laughter and teasing about sleepy heads as they all settled at the table; Severus taking the seat at the head. The professor sat quietly, happy to listen to the children chattering and throwing in the occasional comment.

 

His ears pricked up as he heard Emma question Harry about his presents. Potter grinned as he finished a mouthful of roast turkey and launched into a description.

 

'I got a book from Hermoine, chocolates and a joke box from Ron; Ron's mum sent me a jumper and cake and Hagrid a wooden flute.'

 

'What about your family Harry?' Eric asked and Severus saw the boy carefully arrange a neutral expression on his face.

 

'Oh, they don't usually send presents here. I expect they will wait until I go home.'

 

'That's nice,' Eric smiled. 'It's like spreading Christmas out a bit that way, isn't it?'

 

Harry nodded non committally and took another large mouthful of food whilst Severus scowled into his dinner.

 

Bloody muggles; they couldn't even take the time to get a present for the child. What had Albus been thinking placing Potter with such poor guardians? He would be having serious words with that man.

 

The few presents Potter had received was also irritating him. Four friends and a friends mother; surely the average sixteen year old received more than that? The boy seemed to be more than happy with his haul though. That alone was depressing. He had just watched that annoying Hufflepuff open about fifty presents.

 

Severus tuned back into the conversation and listened to the teenagers as they discussed the last Quidditch game, move by move. He watched as the three friends shamelessly picked apart Potters performance on the pitch whilst said Seeker smiled good naturedly. In the end it was Severus who rescued the boy.

 

'Remind me who caught the snitch in that game?' He asked dryly.

 

Potter turned to him with a mock innocent expression.

 

'Why professor I'm not sure I recall; oh wait. I remember now, I believe it was me!' He turned back to his peers with a grin and they all laughed.

 

Severus noticed the head boy flash an approving look his way before answering Potter directly.

 

'Fair enough Harry, you did of course win the game for Gryffindor so we shouldn't be too hard on you.'

 

Harry inclined his head graciously at the concession. 'Why thank you kind sir; I will of course take your critique of my performance on board.'

 

Emma sniggered. 'Can we have another few practices over the rest of the break Harry, I want to learn that roll you did.'

 

'Erm,' Harry smiled bashfully. 'I'm not sure that roll was particularly deliberate,' he admitted to more laughter from the others.

 

Severus found himself smiling at the interaction. Despite the annoyances in the classroom, there really were some great kids in this school. What's more, he admitted to himself; he was actually enjoying this Christmas.

 

Severus tried to get the image of the headmaster smiling knowingly at him, out of his head.

 

)O(

 

That evening found Severus Snape sat at his kitchen table nursing a brandy and a head full of confusing thoughts. Today had been...surprising.

 

He had experienced more human contact in the last twenty four house than he had since school when Lily...well when Lily had been around. He wondered what Lily would say if she were here now.

 

He felt shame flush through him. She would probably punch him on the nose for the way he had treated her son for the last six years.

 

I'll make it up to him Lily, he promised silently to the empty kitchen and took another sip of his drink.

 

A tapping at the window alerted him to the owl waiting patiently on the windowsill. Severus let the bird bird in and pulled off the heavy letter she was carrying. That makes eleven he thought with a satisfied smile. The ball was rolling nicely.

 

It had been relatively easy to pull the school records and make a list of all the students who had served detention with Umbridge. He had then separated out the lists to the four houses. There were only eight Syltherin students who had been effected and Severus had chosen five who he knew were from pureblood families that held influence in the ministry or wizard media.

 

He had written a very carefully worded letter to the five parents.

 

Nothing to worry about but he had concerns about the detentions they had served. Could they have a discreet chat with their son/daughter and make sure nothing untoward had happened? Nothing official of course; he was only writing as a concerned head of house.

 

He made a point of emphasizing that the woman had been employed and sent to Hogwarts by the ministry, not the school. He knew that the moment the students confided in their parents that a blood quill had been used; all hell would let loose. Most pureblood families would understand the true nature of such a device.

 

Within twelve hours he had received outraged owls from all five sets of parents. He had immediately replied, feigning shock and outrage;-

 

I share in your anger; will completely support any action against the ministry; no the headmaster does not know yet but will be equally angry when he find outs.

 

The second wave of letters had included grandparents and influential friends of the five families. All Severus had to do now was stand back and watch the fallout. With a bit of luck that bloody women would be in Azkaban by the spring.

 

The whole thing had been a carefully stepped dance in politics and Severus knew that Albus was unlikely to completely escape the scandal this would cause. He felt a little guilty about that but not enough to stop the action he had taken.

 

Whilst not completely honest, he had not lied either and he knew the headmaster would genuinely be furious when he found out what had happened.

 

A quick count had shown that Potter had served thirty seven detentions with the bitch. No wonder the scar on his hand was so pronounced.

 

Minerva and Poppy were also likely to be explosive in their rage and a perverse side of him wanted to invite Umbridge to tea; lock her in a room with the two witches and then tell them.

 

Now that would be a good way to start the New Year, he thought with a sly grin; although Filch would not be happy with the clean up operation afterwards.

 

Severus snorted into his brandy in amusement and opened the latest letter.

 

His grin widened as he read it through. The first contact from the press; perfect!

They seemed to be approaching the story from the angle he had hoped for, taking Umbridge's actions as directly targeting pureblood families.

 

Of course, nothing could be further from the truth but this way it would upset the right people and protect Potter from any unnecessary attention. With a bit of luck his name would not even come up.

 

He added the letter to the others and downed the last drop of brandy before grabbing a cloak and striding out into the corridor.

 

It was time to find Peeves and add the last special element of this little revenge attack.

 

)O(

 

To be continued...
End Notes:
You get two chapters today. Reviews are always appreciated, particularly if you tell me what you like / would prefer to see.
Chapter 8 by Kendra James
 

)O(

 

Harry spent the next three days working through his study plan and was pleased when he had managed to tick everything off his list. There were only three potions that he wanted to practice and a book on transfiguration that Hermoine had recommended left to cover.

 

He had agreed to meet the others first thing in the morning to get some flying practice in so wandered up the stairs to his dorm reasonably early. Harry climbed back into bed with a sigh. There were only eight days left of the holiday and for once Harry didn't want the term to start. He had really enjoyed this break; despite being ill and despite Snape finding out about the Dursley's.

 

Harry was also nervous about the fact that the rest of the teaching staff would be returning in a few days time.

 

Despite the fact Snape had promised him he didn't have to tell anyone until next summer, Harry knew that he would have to see Madam Pomfrey about his wrist and that would involve questions.

 

Harry pulled his blankets around him more tightly and watched the snow falling gently outside his window. He really wasn't sure what to do about that. He knew he could invent some excuse and that the mediwitch would probably not ask to many questions but he had never outright lied about his injuries before. He also thought that having this hanging over him all year might be more stressful than just getting it over with before school began again.

 

Professor Snape had agree to help him with potions again tomorrow afternoon. Maybe he could ask his advice? Harry snorted to himself under the blanket; oh how the world had changed in just a few short weeks! Here he was planning to go to Snape for advice!

 

He closed his eyes and slowly drifted off to sleep, resolved not to worry to much about anything just now.

 

)O(

 

Harry spent an enjoyable few hours flying the next morning and taught Emma loads of new moves whilst practising a few new ones himself. He made her promise not to tell anyone who had taught her in case of retribution from his team.

 

'Can't have my own house hexing me if you lead your team to victory next term, can I?' he explained.

 

After showering and changing, he ate lunch with the others and then headed down to the dungeons; still a bit nervous despite he and Snape's slightly thawed relationship. He hadn't been down here since that embarrassing panic attack and was not looking forward to this at all.

 

Harry knocked on the door to Snape's office quietly, moving in when he heard the professors answering call. Snape was sat near the fire again, a tea tray laid out on the table before him. He waved Harry over to to the armchair opposite his, in which Harry sank gratefully.

 

'I hope you didn't overdo it this morning?' Snape quietly asked as he poured tea for them both.

 

Harry accepted the cup and smiled. 'Maybe a little but we were only out there for a few hours. I think I need to start doing some physical training this term.'

 

' So long as you see Madam Pomfrey first Potter. You are not in any condition to be pushing yourself, in fact it makes me shudder to think you have been on your house team this whole year. If anyone had seen how you truly looked I can guarantee you would not have been allowed to play.'

 

Harry worried his bottom lip with his teeth. He really hoped they let him keep playing. After the toad had kept his broom all last year, it had been such a relief to be able to fly again. It was probably the only thing that had kept him sane after losing Sirius.

 

Harry noticed the potion vial sat on the tray and looked up at his professor curiously.

 

'A calming draught Potter. I thought you might want it before we try and unravel this potions mess.'

 

Harry nodded and reached for the vial, betraying his anxiety in the unquestioning act of downing it. Severus fought to keep his face neutral whilst he felt his concern growing. He had expected the teenager to refuse.

 

Harry took a deep swig of tea to get rid of the taste of the potion, and eyed his professor nervously. If he was going to ask then now would probably be best, before they started on the potion and he annoyed the man to distraction again.

 

'Erm...professor. Can I ask you something?'

 

Severus nodded to the boy, cradling his tea cup and watching as Harry swallowed nervously.

 

'You said that I wouldn't have to talk to anyone about the Durlseys yet but I know I will have to have my wrist fixed and I'm not sure how to...'

 

'I know Madam Pomfrey will not ask too many questions if you are not yet ready?'

Severus reassured, surprised that Harry was voluntarily bringing the subject up.

 

'It's just that...I wondered if it would be worse to wait...I mean I don't know how bad this is going to be..' Harry trailed off and drew in a shaky breath.

 

Severus felt his throat grow tight in sympathy. It didn't matter how many students he went through this routine with; every one was heart wrenching. Discovery of abuse was almost as bad as the original insult for a child and he felt his anger growing at the thought that yet another Hogwarts student found themselves in this position.

 

'Harry,' he said gently, aware of his renewed use of the boys first name. 'I know it's hard to believe it now but things will get better once you have spoken to someone about all this. I'm not saying it will be easy but surely knowing you won't have to go back to that place is worth it?'

 

Haunted green eyes looked up at him. 'That's just it sir. I have no where else to go. Not without putting people I care about at risk. '

 

'Maybe this is one time where you can let the adults sort things out?' Severus asked wryly. 'It will only be for one year after all. You come of age next summer.'

 

Harry sighed. 'I know it's irrational sir, but if I tell and then do get sent back there..'

 

'That will NEVER happen,' Severus snapped and Harry winced, unconsciously leaning back in his seat. Seeing the reaction, Severus closed his eyes and took a steadying breath. 'Harry, I give you my word that you never have to go back to those people again. I will not allow it.'

 

Harry slowly relaxed, hearing the frankness of the professors words and for the first time realizing it was true. He never had to go back to the Dursleys; not ever.

 

The two of them sat in silence for a while and once he had settled himself, Harry asked quietly.

 

'How does this work?...I mean, who do I need to talk to?'

 

Severus paused long enough to refill his tea and settle back in the chair. He would have to be completely honest but make sure he also didn't overwhelm the boy.

 

'Firstly, you should probably tell your head of house which is obviously Professor McGonagall. She would then arrange for you to have a formal medical exam in the hospital wing and a statement would be taken from you.'

 

He watched Harry carefully but the boy only nodded and did not seem too distressed by the thought of a statement so Severus continued.

 

'At this point the headmaster would be informed and any legal processes would be started. In your case that would mean dissolving your guardianship with the Dursleys; finding a suitable replacement until you come of age and then deciding whether or not to press legal charges.'

 

Harry's head shot up in alarm. 'No, I don't want to have to...I mean I'd rather no one else knew.'

 

Severus raised a hand to calm the boys sudden panic. 'The guardianship can be dissolved without pressing charges. Usually the threat of a criminal case is enough.'

 

Harry sighed heavily. 'Would it be possible to do this all at once?' he asked and at the questioning frown added, 'I mean...could I tell Madam Pomfrey and Professor McGonagall together.'

 

'I'm sure I could help you arrange that.'

 

Harry looked down at his hands nervously, his voice dropping to a whisper.

'...and could you be there?'

 

Severus sat in stunned silence. Potter wanted him there? For that?

 

'Would you like me to be?' he asked quietly and the boy bobbed his head.

 

'I would sir. I think I would feel...safer.'

 

Severus realised he was gripping his cup so tightly it was shaking in his hand.

Bloody hell, he thought savagely. When did I start to care this much and how could it have happened so quickly?

 

'If that is what you would prefer, then I will be there. I would advise that we do this before your classmates return if you feel ready for it?'

 

Harry nodded again, grateful for the man's even tone and the fact he seemed so calm.

 

'Thank you sir.'

 

Severus drained his tea in one and quietly placed the cup back down on the table.

 

'Shall we return to our potions chaos again then Mr Potter and see how many more ounces of my valuable ingredients you can destroy in an afternoon?'

 

Harry put his cup down and followed the professor into his lab, hiding his smile. He was beginning to recognise the man's sarcasm as an attempt to reduce tension and wondered how often that had been the intention in the classroom as well.

 

He immediately saw that the ingredients for the same healing draught had been laid out next to a small cauldron and were waiting for him. Harry sat down at the stool and opened his textbook to the right page before looking to Professor Snape for instruction.

 

'The technique I am going to teach you is very simple. Basically I want you to talk to me as you are brewing. When you are doing the more complex parts of the potions then you can describe to me your actions as if you were teaching it to me. When it is a case of simply stirring, we are going to talk about anything else that comes to mind.'

 

Harry frowned. 'How does this help?'

 

'By focusing on your environment, instead of the energies of the potion, then you will hopefully not feel so pressured to stay in attunement with those energies. It's a bit like having the radio on in the background. We are simply turning down the volume to a level where it allows you to think and talk.'

 

Harry smiled. That made sense to him.

 

'Erm...professor...'

 

'Yes Potter,' Snape snapped impatiently.

 

'This attunement thing. It doesn't mean that I'm destined to be a potions master does it? Because I really don't like that potions that much... I mean..'

 

Severus raised an eyebrow and snorted in amusement at the boys discomfort.

 

'Don't panic Potter; No, I do not think you are an undiscovered potions genius. I believe it has something to do with the way your magic works and your general sensitivity to magical energies. That said, you should continue potions as long as you can. There are many careers where you will find this skill helpful and the fact that you can attune could open other doors for you.'

 

'Really, like what?'

 

'Well, curse breaking is an obvious one. The energies of brewing are very similar to the vibrations of curses and wards.'

 

Harry's eyes widened. 'Is that why I can feel the wards of the castle?'

 

Severus fought hard to keep the sheer amazement off his face, not altogether sure he had succeeded.

 

'I would suggest that you discuss this in more detail with the headmaster when he returns. He would also be the best person to recommence your occumency lessons with. His magic works in a similar way to yours so he is also unable to use the normal means to shield himself. He has had to learn other techniques.'

 

Harry nodded as another piece of the puzzle fell into place for him.

'Is that why he didn't teach me himself last year?'

 

Severus nodded gravely. 'That and the fact that he was unsure how the Dark Lord might react if he sensed the headmasters presence through you.'

 

Harry reached for the pile of cloves that he needed as the first ingredient and Severus settled himself into a chair beside him.

 

'Right then,' Harry started. 'First I need to crush a handful of ….'

 

)O(

 

Three hours later, Harry was cheerfully filling the last of fifty vials with his completed healing draught.

 

'Well done Harry.' Severus said, genuinely pleased at the boys achievement.

 

'These, will be put to good use in the hospital wing; most likely by your house mates when they have their first Quidditch practice.'

 

'We're not that bad,' Harry said crossly, feeling the need to defend his houses accident prone tendencies.

 

Severus just raised an eyebrow, and Harry blushed knowing the professors words were probably close to the truth. Hell, he'd probably drink half these potions himself.

 

'Shall we try one of the new potions for the coming term tomorrow? I believe you had two more on your study list?'

 

Harry grinned. 'That would be great sir if I'm not taking too much of your time?'

 

'Not at all.' Severus moved away to begin tidying up the area and putting ingredients away. 'I do have another potion to finish off so if you meet me in lab 5 again, we can work on them both together. I would like to try and practice the technique silently tomorrow. It will prevent you distracting me and also help prepare you for brewing in a busy classroom again.'

 

Harry headed back to the Gryffindor tower with a relieved smile on his face. He had just mastered a potion that had defeated him for years. He knew he should be worried by the fact it had taken him this long but all he felt was relief.

 

It all made sense now and the music analogy had really helped. He had been able to tune into the potion for a while and then drown it out when it got too complicated to focus on the practical tasks.

 

He also felt a little better about the upcoming discussion about the Dursleys. Although still really nervous, the fact that he could arrange it on his terms meant he didn't feel quite so powerless now.

 

The only bit he was still dreading was the fact that he would have to talk to the headmaster. After smashing up half of the man's office at the end of the last year, Harry had been nervous and embarrassed around Dumbledore.

 

He couldn't make his mind up what would be worse; Dumbledore knowing about what had happened to him at Privet Drive and leaving him there anyway, or him not knowing and being disappointed in Harry for not confiding in him sooner.

 

Either way, Harry was hoping to avoid that conversation for as long as possible.

 

Well, Harry thought. At least I have a few more days before I have to face all that. Plenty of time for more brewing, more flying and more thinking.

 

Harry realised with surprise; that for once, he didn't feel alone with it all.

 

)O(

 

To be continued...
Chapter 9 by Kendra James
Author's Notes:
Sorry about the delay. I am in the French Alps at the moment on holiday which means lots of new chapters for you all but no way to upload them due to rather patchy internet access.
 

The village of Great Harcourt were used to the rather odd woman that lived at the end of Fox Lane. Her pretty pink cottage was just a little too pretty for their tastes and her cats were a constant plague on every garden in the village. Even the village postmaster was none too keen on the woman and he liked everyone.

 

Fortunately the old bat wasn't around too much days. In fact for almost a whole year they had hardly seen her and the village had been very hopeful that she might have moved. Sadly that had not proved to be the case and she had been sighted just before the start of summer in her bright pink dressing gown, although reportedly in a rather nervous state.

 

The last few months she seemed to have fallen back into her normal patterns, leaving the house in a smart suit every morning and returning just after tea. With little to gossip about, the old bat in the pink house had long been the main topic of discussion in the village. She seemed to have an air of self importance about her that was quite at odds with the image of the pink cat lady.

 

Today, however the village suddenly had a lot more to gossip about and the post office was full of interested listeners.

 

'Screaming I tell you,' a short stocky woman was reporting. 'Screaming her head off she was! At three in the morning. Sounded like a banshee had been let loose. Bill was just about to go next door with a hammer in case of burglars when she ran out into the garden.'

 

Her excited audience leant in eagerly. 'What was she was screaming at.'

 

'Absolutely nothing!' Bill replied. 'She was running around the garden with a rolling pin, shouting 'You're not real, your not real!' as if something was chasing her.'

 

The postmaster snickered. 'I know it's mean to laugh but I've never liked that nosy old bat. Do you think they'll lock her up if we tell the doc?'

 

The stocky woman shrugged. 'I don't know but it would be nice to get new neighbours; with less cats.'

 

Bill nodded in agreement. 'Ones that didn't run around the garden in the middle of the night as if the hounds of hell were after them. Funny about that noise though wasn't it?' he asked his wife and seeing the villagers puzzled faces added. 'We could have sworn we heard the sound of hooves.'

 

His wife shrugged. 'Probably a horse loose on the bridleway.'

 

The postmaster turned back to his letters with a grin. 'Yep,' he thought. 'There's no doubt about it; Delores Umbridge had finally gone round the twist.'

 

Half a mile away a short plumb woman who looked remarkably like a toad was sat curled up in the kitchen of her hideously pink house. Sat on the floor with her hands over her ears she tried to block out the sound of a hundred kittens hissing and spitting at the apparition stood before her.

 

Pearly white and see through, the floating cloud continued to change it's image every few seconds.

 

A small school girl with pig tails pointed at her eerily, her squeaky voice echoing through the house. 'I must pay attention in class,' she droned.

 

A tall boy in Ravenclaw robes. 'I will obey my superiors.'

 

Harry Potter, his hand pouring blood. 'I must not tell lies.'

 

An enormous centaur reared before her, his face a mask of fury.

 

With a small squeak, Delores Umbridge fell sideways in a dead faint onto the cold stone floor. As if this was a signal, the white spectre lost it's form and with a small pop disappeared back to it's home to report in.

 

)O(

 

Severus Snape looked up from his morning paper as Peeves appeared with a pop before him. The poltergeist snapped to attention and gave the potions master a smart salute.

 

'Mission accomplished Peeves?' he asked and the ghost nodded enthusiastically.

 

Severus smirked happily, imagining the scene in Great Harcourt right now.

 

'Good work Peeves. A visit twice a week for the next few months should do it. Now would you like another mission?'

 

Peeves puffed his chest out importantly. None of the professors had ever sent him on missions before and he was feeling rather proud of himself. He bobbed his head again and grinned.

 

Severus's smiled widened. 'Excellent! Have you ever heard of Little Whinging?'

 

)O(

Madam Pomfrey was feeling rather down hearted. She had only been back in the school for a few hours when Severus had come to ask if she could set up a welfare meeting for the following day.

 

She and the head of Slytherin went through this ritual every year and it never got any easier. It always meant the same thing. He had discovered another one of his little snakes was being beaten bloody by their pathetic excuse for a family.

 

She sighed heavily. It was unusual to have this so far into the school year. Severus had gotten so good at spotting the poor dears that it was normally the first years she was seeing and usually within three weeks of them starting school. She could never understand why the rest of the staff were so negative towards Slytherin House when there were obviously so many vulnerable children there.

 

A part of her always worried a little about the potions master as well. Despite his rather grim exterior, he seemed to be able to connect to these troubled children rather well and they would open up to him in a way they wouldn't to the rest of the staff.

 

That worried her enormously, as she had a sneaky suspicion that if there had been a similar teacher in school when Severus was a child, that they might very well have had one of these meetings about him.

 

Poppy sincerely hoped that she was wrong about that but the more time she spent with the man, the less hope she had that that was the case.

 

She frowned and forcibly switched into professional mode to set up the monitoring charms in her office. It was a normal protocol in the school to record any welfare discussions or meetings held so that they could be added to legal records in the future if that was required. She had a special folder for each child that would record medical exams, statements and a visual record of the room and testimony of each present.

 

Whilst it was a little formal for her liking, it had it's advantages and meant that staff were more careful in their words and didn't indulge in speculation. It just felt a bit of a rotten way to be starting the new year. She hoped it would be a review of a student they were already supporting but her instinct told her probably not.

 

Severus had looked particularly grave when he had requested this meeting; even for him.

 

)O(

 

Harry laughed as he watch Dobby putting the finishing touches to the Gryffindor common rooms decorations. This was seriously getting out of hand he thought wryly.

 

It had started off so simple. He had invited the Hufflepuffs to spend New Years Eve in the tower to thank them for their hospitality, not realizing that most of the schools staff were coming back for the celebrations. Then Professor Snape had suggested he invite the staff and before he knew if, he was hosting a New Years Eve party.

 

Dobby had of course volunteered to help and now things seemed to be snowballing.

 

'Erm Dobby, I think if we put any more glitter up we are going to send everyone blind.'

 

The elf giggled shyly. 'OK Master Harry. Shall I go and check on the food?'

 

Harry winced. He dreaded to think how many tons of food the kitchens had prepared and he nodded, watching the elf pop away with a sigh.

 

This will be fun, he reminded himself. It's a party; absolutely nothing to worry about.

It was hard to forget that tomorrow he would be meeting with Madam Pomfrey and his head of house and having to talk about things that....Harry forced that thought away and headed up to his dorm room to change.

 

Eric, Emma and Morgan would be arriving soon to help with the final preparations so he needed to be changed and ready.

 

Harry put on the new jeans and red sweater he had ordered for himself from one of the muggle catalogues Hermoine had sent. He couldn't believe that he hadn't thought of this sooner! Mail order clothes.

 

The only problem was they fitted a bit too well. Harry eyed himself critically in the mirror. He had managed to put on eight pounds over the holidays and that had helped a lot, but the slim line jeans were showing off far too clearly how thin his waist and hips were.

 

Harry considered putting the glamours back up but discounted it. He had promised Professor Snape he wouldn't and he really didn't want to go back to that constant feeling of exhaustion. He leant forward and examined the mark on his cheek. It was just a small red blotch now and might even be mistaken for a spot.

 

Anyway, he thought pragmatically. Come tomorrow, half the staff would know the truth, if not all of them. I can't keep hiding everything and maybe it wouldn't be so bad.

 

A girls voice pulled him away from the mirror as Emma shouted up the stairs.

 

'Harry! Are you up there.'

 

He bounded down with a grin to welcome the three friends, ignoring the sharp look Eric gave him. Harry's stomach clenched as he saw the look of concern on the head boys face and he looked away quickly.

'Hey guys, what do you think of the décor? There's been a crazy house elf on the loose!'

 

Morgan laughed as he looked at the glitter drenched ceiling and walls.

 

'It's certainly bright!'

 

'I really like your common room Harry. It's so cosy.' Emma added with a shy smile.

 

Harry gave them the tour of the tower and then offered them drinks which were starting to appear on the long food table Dobby had conjured at the back of the room.

 

'I've never hosted a party before,' Harry admitted and the head boy smiled sympathetically at him.

 

'I dare say you were expecting something more intimate when you first invited us, but we can help.'

 

Morgan gave him an encouraging pat on the back as the portrait hole opened and Professor McGonagall strode in, wearing a very fetching blue dress and cloak. Her white hair was loose and wavy and fell to her waist.

 

She smiled at the students.

 

'Happy New Year to you all, I hope you had a nice....' Her voice trailed off as she spotted Harry and he cringed as her smile fell, to be replaced by an expression of pure shock.

 

She crossed to his side in a second. 'Mr Potter! Are you ill?'

 

Her hand automatically flew to his forehead and he did his best to plaster a bright smile on his face.

 

'I had a nasty chest infection over the holidays Professor, but I'm much better now.'

 

She stared at him appraisingly for a few moments and then turned to the others with a weak smile.

 

'Well it's good to see all of you. The headmaster will be along in a moment. How has your Christmas?'

 

The three students launched into a tale of the holidays, including snowball fights, flying practice and the xmas eve party they had shared. In the middle of this the headmaster, Professor Flitwick, Madam Pomfrey and Professor Snape arrived and joined the discussion.

 

Harry smiled and nodded and tried not to notice the reactions of the staff to his appearance or the dark looks they were sharing with one another.

 

What he couldn't miss however was how many of those dark looks were directed at his potions professor. He watched as Professor Snape despatched himself from the group, helped himself to a large bottle of butterbeer and a glass and went to sit by the fire. Snape had his usual fierce scowl on but for once Harry could see past it.

 

Harry looked back at the rest of the teaching staff and had a horrible moment of realization. The adults saw Snape the same way the children did. They too were unable to see past the harsh, sarcastic exterior and worse still, they suspected the man was responsible for Harry's poor physical condition.

 

Scanning across the adults faces, it appeared only Madam Pomfrey was not scowling towards the lone figure; even the headmaster was giving sad, disappointed looks. What on earth did they think Snape could have done to him in under three weeks?

 

Harry huffed impatiently. There was no way he was going to let them all blame Snape for how thin he was after the man had been so kind to him.

 

Harry detached himself from the conversation he was having with Eric and picking up an empty glass walked over to the sofa Snape had exiled himself on. Harry sat down beside the professor and aware of all the adults eyes on him, wiggled his empty glass hopefully whilst giving Snape his best puppy dog look.

 

To the astonishment of everyone in the room, Snape snorted in amusement and reaching for the butter beer, proceeded to fill up the boys glass.

 

Harry sank back into the soft sofa and made a show of enjoying his drink whilst starting a random conversation about New Year Traditions.

 

'Thank you Harry,' Snape said so quietly that Harry might not have heard had he not been facing the older man when he spoke.

 

Harry bobbed his head in acknowledgement. 'I'm sorry sir; I should have worn six layers and the baggiest cloak I own. It never occurred to me that you would be held responsible for my weight loss.'

 

Severus looked at the boy beside him thoughtfully. Yet again Potter had shown a level of insight way beyond his peers and the man wondered how they could have been so at odds with one another all these years.

 

'Harry, someone once told me that we see what we expect to see, and I have played my part well over the years.'

 

Harry smiled weakly. 'Well they are all seeing something the didn't expect to see now.'

Severus glanced across the room at his colleagues who were attempting not to stare at Harry Potter and Severus Snape apparently enjoying a friendly chat by the fire and did something he hadn't done in years.

 

He laughed; loudly and heartily.

 

Beside him Harry grinned and suggested cheekily. 'Do you think we should throw a few hexes at each other in a minute, just to make sure we don't freak them out too much?'

 

'That might be a sensible idea Potter. Your head of house looks like she's about to have a stroke.'

 

Just to make the evening more surreal, the portrait hole opened and in clambered Mr Filch; Mrs Norris curled up in his arms. The caretaker had sleeked his hair down with something dark and sticky looking and was wearing a threadbare suit that clearly hadn't fitted him in many years. Mrs Norris was wearing a pink tutu and a tall spiral hat.

 

Whether it was the tension of the evening or nervousness about tomorrow, Harry wasn't sure, but the sight of the odd couple was the final straw for him.

 

He lost it; Spectacularly!

 

The short laugh turned into the longest fit of giggles Harry had had in years. Drawn by his laughter, the other students came to group around the fire.

 

Emma perched on the arm of the sofa, right beside the potions professor.

 

'What's so funny?'

 

'Yeah, sir. What's up with Harry?' Morgan asked, the giggles starting to catch him too.

 

'Brain damage,' Severus snorted into his butter beer to more laughter from the children.

 

'Ah, yes,' Eric said sagely. 'Too many bludgers to the head. I've always suspected it.'

 

Mrs Norris jumped down from Filch's arms and ran over to the group, jumping into Harry's lap where she curled up and started giving herself a bath. That started Harry off again and he laughed until tears were running down his face.

 

Beside him, the children giggled and Severus continued to snigger, adding in the odd humorous comment whenever it appeared that Harry was beginning to get control of himself.

 

'New best friend Potter?' he smirked as the cat stared up at her new human friend.

 

'Arr, Sir. That's just cruel. He had just dropped crying.' Morgan scolded.

 

'Got to get my entertainment somewhere, Shaklebolt.'

 

Across the room, Albus Dumbledore watched the scene with suspiciously moist eyes. The two boys he cared the most about were laughing in a way he had never seen before. Whatever had happened in this school over the Christmas break had clearly been momentous.

 

With the tension firmly dissipated, the New Year Party began in earnest and the adults let their hair down in style. Only Madam Pomfrey remained quiet as she watched the cosy group near the fire.

 

Harry's appearance had shocked her mightily but so had his new found rapport with Severus. The man did not bond easily she knew, but Severus had a practical lake of compassion for the most vulnerable students amongst them. It was his care of them that caused such fierce loyalty to the professor from the students in his house.

 

Now she was seeing something of that loyalty in Harry. It had not escaped her attention the way the boy had deliberately placed himself beside Severus whilst her colleagues were busy jumping to conclusions.

 

Poppy's thoughts turned to tomorrows welfare meeting and her sense of foreboding grew. She didn't think she could bear to find out they were going to discuss a boy who had been in her care for five and half years already.

 

)O(

To be continued...
Chapter 10 by Kendra James
Author's Notes:
I am having difficulty uploading new chapters on this site so apologise for the delay. You can also find this story on fan fiction net.
Chapter 10 Harry lay in bed, staring at the top of his four poster bed and thinking about the previous nights party. He couldn't remember ever having so much fun. One by one, the adults had joined them around the fire and they had ended up having a singsong. As the rest of them sang, badly; Snape had muttered disparaging comments into his drink that kept cracking all the youngsters up. As none of the staff could hear what he was saying, it created much hilarity and some annoyance. Mr Filch had hummed along, apparently not knowing any of the words. They had counted in the New Year and then loitered in the common room until it was only Harry, Eric and the charms professor left. Professor Flitwick had been very impressed with Harry's enlargement of the castles trees and awarded him full marks on the engorgement class, despite the fact he wouldn't actually be taking that class for another five weeks. It had been a lovely evening, but thinking back it had felt a bit like a last supper. Harry was aware that he had let his hair down so much because he knew what was coming today. A small clock in the corner chimed and Harry glanced at it nervously. It was now 11am and he should have gone down to breakfast an hour ago, but he really couldn't face it. Professor Snape had said last night that he would come and collect him at 2 and from there they would go to Madam Pomfrey's office. It felt like walking to an execution. Harry shook himself in irritation and jumped out of bed. Stop being so melodramatic Harry, he scolded himself. You know these people. It won't be so bad. He stepped under the shower and turned it up to full blast. There was a faculty meeting this morning for all the staff and even though Harry knew they wouldn't be talking about him, he still felt strangely vulnerable. It will all be over by tonight, he told himself, trying hard not to think about what would come next – Ron and Hermoine; his friends; his house; the inevitable leak to The Daily Prophet; the rest of the wizarding world.Harry leant his head against the cool tiles and blew the air out of his lungs in a slow controlled breath. He concentrated on letting his muscles relax as the hot water pounded against his back whilst avoiding looking at the scars that would be on public display in a few hours. You're fine Harry, you're fine; just breathe. )O( The meeting was a cheerful but quiet affair, owing to the fact that most of the staff were still a little hung over from the night before. They had covered all the changes to the curriculum; Professor Trewarley and Professor Sprout had had their annual row about timetables and Cybil had stormed out in tears. As she did this at the start of every term, even the headmaster hadn't looked up from his papers this time. They were now at the any other business part of the meeting and Severus was not looking forward to this. Initially, he had been anticipating the fun of rattling his colleagues a little but as he had looked through Umbridge's detention lists again that morning, any enjoyment had rapidly disappeared. These were his students and that cow had tortured them on school property. The headmaster turned to his potions master with a warm smile. 'Severus, you had another item for us to discuss?' 'Yes Headmaster, I am afraid this is not going to be a pleasant conversation.' Severus handed each of the head of houses a piece of the parchment before giving a copy of four lists to the headmaster and the rest of the staff. 'What is this Severus?' Minerva asked, sounding a little worried. 'You're not about to put half my house in detention again are you?' Severus grimaced. 'No Minerva, I'm not and if they didn't keep melting my cauldrons then none of them would be seeing me as regularly as they are.' The older woman flushed a little and Poppy coughed in amusement, knowing the whole room had a mental picture of Neville Longbottom in their heads. 'You do however have the right topic. You are each holding a list of all the students in your houses who served detention with Umbridge whilst she was here.' The mood instantly darkened in the room and even the headmaster lost his smile. Even mentioning that woman's name was usually enough to bring Professor Sprout out in hives. Seeing he still had everyone's attention, Severus continued. 'It came to my attention during the Christmas break that Umbridge saw fit to use some unorthodox methods of punishment during her detentions so I pulled the records and made some discreet enquiries to the students within Slytherin that were effected. Their replies were disturbing.' McGonagall bristled angrily. 'That doesn't surprise me. That awful woman used a ruler on Colin Creevy; Left an ugly mark on his knuckles, I nearly hexed her where she stood.' 'I can't believe she's working back at the Ministry.' Poppy added in annoyance. 'She won't be for long,' Severus stated quietly and his tone was enough to chill the room further. 'Severus?' the headmaster asked quietly. 'What has got you so rattled?' 'She used a Blood Quill in her detentions.' There was a moment of shocked silence and then half the room was on their feet. 'She did WHAT!?' McGonagall roared. 'Severus, are you sure?' The tiny charms professor asked in a shocked whisper and  he nodded. 'I sent a very tame letter to some of the parents asking them to check that nothing untoward had happened in their children's detentions. I put no suggestions or leading questions within the text but within an hour I had several angry replies. I'm surprised this didn't come to light sooner.' The angry comments died away as the staff realised that the room was gently shaking. 'What the...?' A second later every window in the staff room blew out and the room was filled with shrieks as everyone covered their heads and faces. Only Severus stayed upright, his eyes automatically darting to where the headmaster sat white faced with fury in his chair. His hands were gripping the armrests so tightly, Severus was surprised the wood wasn't splintering beneath his fingers. Silence fell again as one by one, all eyes fell on the headmaster. They watched in awe as Dumbledore fought to regain control of his magic, his eyes closed and his chest heaving as he took deep steadying breaths. After what felt like hours but was likely only a few minutes, Albus opened his eyes and with a wave of his hand restored the windows. 'My apologies everyone,' he said quietly. 'Is anybody hurt?' The room was filled with murmured reassurances and they all watched curiously as a very angry Dumbledore turned to Severus once more. 'That...woman..used...an...unforgivable...on...my..students?' He asked, every word spat out and Severus nodded. 'I'm afraid so Headmaster; you should know that several families are preparing legal action against the ministry and I have offered my assistance. I realise that this may also prove difficult for you...' Dumbledore waved that away. 'I don't care about that Severus. Please let me know if I can assist in any way.' 'Yes headmaster.' Severus turned back to his older colleague. 'Minerva, I believe your house was most effected by this and you should be aware that several of your students had multiple detentions with that...woman. She would set three hundred lines a time so you might want to set up medical checks for the students involved. It may be too late to prevent permanent scarring for most of them but it should still be checked.' Minerva paled noticeably as the implications sank in. 'Why didn't they tell anyone?' she whispered shakily. 'They thought we all knew, Minerva.' Severus's words brought a further heavy silence to the room until Poppy intervened. 'I can't believe the students would think we would condone that; even with the circumstances last year. Are you sure about this Severus?' Severus scowled. 'I can't speak for every student involved but Potter was under the impression that he had been told to keep his head down and not make a fuss.' 'Harry!' Minerva croaked. 'But he never...' Severus watched as realisation came across the older woman's face and she dropped her head in her hands with a groan. He wondered which conversation with the boy she was recalling. 'I seem to recall,' Flitwick said soberly. 'That Harry served a great number of detentions last year?' 'Thirty eight,' Severus stated quietly to several groans in the room. Poppy looked ready to cry and Severus frowned at her in worry. There was much worse to come today and he hoped both women would be able to be professional about it. The last thing Potter needed was them going to pieces on him. The mediwitch looked at him gravely. 'I take it Harry has a scar?' she stated angrily and he nodded. The room rattled ominously for a moment before the headmaster spoke again, his eyes closed. 'What did she make him write?' Severus paused before answering. 'I must not tell lies.' There were no further comments after that. No one could think of a single thing to say. )O( The dining hall was ominously quiet at lunch and the three Hufflepuffs exchanged nervous glances. Their teachers did not seem very happy.Severus noted Potters absence with concern. He wasn't surprised that the boy was nervous but that was two meals in a row he had missed and if there was one person who couldn't afford to be skipping meals it was Potter. As if sensing his thoughts, the charms professor turned to the head boy. 'Is Harry not joining us today?' Eric swallowed his mouthful of food and turned to his favourite teacher with a smile. 'He ordered sandwiches for his common room professor. He has one last bit of reading to do for his study list and he wanted to get it finished today.' 'That boy studies far too hard,' Emma said through a mouthful of food to general chuckles at the table and Professor Sprout nodded her head in agreement. 'He certainly does more reading than most of my students, with the exception of Miss Granger of course.' Severus picked at his food, his appetite rapidly evaporating. Now that the moment was almost here, he was beginning to regret talking the boy into this. He still had a few days of holiday left and now they were going to be dominated by those awful muggles yet again. Beside him Minerva finished her meal with a satisfied sigh. 'Severus, you said you wanted my assistance with something this afternoon?' He abandoned his dinner as a bad lot and wiping his face on a napkin turned to his older colleague. 'Yes I would. It is likely to commandeer your whole day though.' Minerva smiled. 'Of course, that's no problem. I am reasonably organised for the start of term. What can I do for you?' 'Perhaps we might discuss this in your office after lunch?' he whispered and his colleague quietly agreed. He walked up her chambers a few minutes later with a heavy heart, for once unable to summon his trademark sneer. He knew how he would react if he discovered one of his 6th years had been mistreated all this time and he hadn't spotted it. Professor McGonagall ordered coffee for them and took a seat at the small circular table in the centre of her office. Severus sat beside her and taking a deep breath launched into what would probably be the most difficult discussion he had ever had with the witch. 'I have asked Poppy to set up a welfare meeting for 2pm this afternoon. I would like to ask you to also attend.' Minerva raised her eyebrows in surprise. 'From what Poppy has told me, you always manage these cases rather well. I am happy to help of course but wouldn't this best wait until term has started when the student in question is here?' Severus paused to look his colleague in the eye before answering quietly.'It is appropriate you attend because the student is in your house and he is already at school. It's Potter, Minerva. I'm afraid some disturbing details about his home life came to light during the break.' He watched the flash of concern and confusion cross his colleagues face.'You had better explain Severus.' 'As you know he was unwell during the holidays and I had cause to check on him in his dorm. He had been wearing glamours since the summer to hide...well, injuries' 'Glamours!' Minerva sighed heavily and rubbed her face. 'The sudden weight loss is now making a bit more sense. Those bloody Muggles! I told Albus they were no good.' She gave him a sharp look as the last bit of his statement sunk in.'Injuries!? They hurt him?' Severus nodded gravely. 'He hasn't talked to me about it yet but he has asked if I could sit in on the meeting. I believe this is his story to tell but I should warn you that he has extensive scarring and this is likely to be difficult to hear.' 'Oh heavens,' the witch whispered. 'How have I not seen this?' 'You aren't the only one who has missed this Minerva.' Severus glanced at the clock. 'I promised Harry I would collect him from his common room. Shall I meet you in Poppy's office?' Minerva nodded silently and he moved to leave her. 'Severus!' He looked back at his colleague who was watching him fearfully. 'How bad is it?' she whispered. 'Honestly Minerva; the worse case I've seen.' He left quietly, leaving the older woman sat at her table in shocked silence. There really wasn't any way to make this easier for anyone, especially Potter. )O( Harry walked slowly up to the hospital wing beside Snape, his heart in his mouth. He couldn't believe he had agreed to this. The professor held the door open for him and they both padded quietly through the empty ward to the office that was tucked away in the far corner.When they entered Madam Pomfrey and Professor McGonagall were already there, both looking more serious that Harry had ever seen them. Harry carefully avoided anyone eyes and instead looked around the small room that had been laid out differently for today. A screen hid an examination bed on one side of the room and four armchairs had been arranged in a circle around a low table. A wooden box with a large crystal sat in the middle of the table and Harry realised that this must be the recording device Snape had warned him about. Severus watched as Poppy put an arm around the young man's waist and gently guided him to one of the chairs, whilst Minerva poured the boy a glass of water. He felt some of his tension dissipating. They were both the picture of professionalism. Maybe they could all get through this day after all. Once the adults were all seated, Poppy took over, explaining as gently as possible the procedure today. 'Harry, I know that Professor Snape has told you a little about what we will be doing here but I just want to go over things with you. Now, he has raised some concerns about your home life so today we are just going to talk about that a bit.' She paused to check he was listening and Harry nodded. At the side Minerva watched her young lion carefully. Harry was pale and nervous but seemed reasonably composed. Poppy continued her explanation quietly. 'Now as there are some concerns that your relatives might have hurt you, I will be starting today by doing what we call a deep scan. That will take about ten minutes and will give us an idea of your general health. Then you can tell us your story.Harry, you don't have to talk about anything you don't want to. I only ask that you don't lie or cover anything up as we will be recording this meeting. If any of us ask something you are not happy about then just say -'I'd rather not answer that,' and we will move on. Does that all sound OK?' Harry nodded again, feeling that he couldn't speak if he wanted to. He let the mediwitch lead him behind the screen and took the hospital gown that she handed him with a wry smile. He spent a ridiculous amount of time in these bloody gowns. She left him alone to change for a few minutes and then helped him up on the examination table. After muttering the spell that would begin the scan, she patted him gently on the hand. 'OK Harry, you just lie as still as you can for a while. I will be back in a few minutes.' He smiled weakly at her and closed his eyes, feeling the hum of magic run through his body, as a hovering parchment listed every illness and injury he had ever had. Harry could hear the murmured conversation through the screen as his professors set up the recording equipment and rustled papers about. He felt tears spring at the side of his eyes as he desperately wished that there was someone here other than his teachers. He didn't think he had ever missed Sirius so much, even though the rational part of him knew that his godfather would have been a nightmare in this situation. The three adults sat on the other side of the screen talking quietly and all knowing that they were finding this hard to deal with. When after twenty minutes the scan had still not finished it's work, even Severus's composure was starting to slip. He exchanged a dark look with his colleagues. They had never had a scan take this long. Poppy nipped back behind the screen to reassure her patient and gave a relieved sigh as the scan finally finished its work. She helped Harry sit up and handed him a tissue, giving him a moment to compose himself. This bit was always dreadfully upsetting for the youngsters. Having learnt to hide injuries, it was terribly frightening to suddenly have it all laid bare for everyone to see. Once she was sure he was recovered, she handed Harry a thick woolly dressing gown and conjured over some slippers. 'Put these on dear and come and join us when you are ready.' Harry took his time getting into the dressing gown and blew his nose heavily. In the mean time Poppy made four copies of the scan reports and handed one to each of her colleagues. It made for shocking and confusing ready. Apart from showing the very poor condition Harry was currently in, it also detailed the alarming number of broken bones, burns, concussions and serious cuts he had suffered over the years. In all the report was five pages long. The three shocked staff looked up as Harry stepped nervously out from behind the screen and made to sit down. Severus stood to meet him. 'Harry, before we begin; would you consent to show Madam Pomfrey and Professor McGonagall your back?' Harry paled but nodded numbly and Severus moved to stand behind the boy, gently turning him around and pulling the dressing gown down to the boys waist. 'It's OK Harry, you don't need to take anything off. I can just move your gown aside.' Severus moved to the side and carefully peeled the back of the hospital gown open, exposing Harry's back to the two women.  He was grateful that Harry was facing the other way and didn't see the reaction of his colleagues to the lattice pattern of scars that littered the boys back and shoulders. It was also sobering to be able to see every rib bone, despite the weight the boy had managed to put on. Severus carefully closed the gown and retied it before shrugging the dressing gown back up over the boys shoulders. He let his hands rest on Harry's shoulders for a moment and gave them an encouraging squeeze before leading him back to his chair. 'Thank you Harry, I know that wasn't easy for you.' he said quietly. Harry sat down shakily and reached for his water glass, aware that all of his teachers looked rather upset. That was both disturbing but also strangely comforting. They looked liked they really cared about him and he didn't know how to feel about that. The fourth copy of his scan was sat by his glass but he ignored it, not really wanting to read about his history in that way. Madam Pomfrey cleared her throat and blew her nose before continuing. 'Maybe we could start by just talking about what life has been like for you living at the Dursleys' ?' she asked gently and Harry nodded. When he spoke, he was surprised to find his voice was reasonably steady, if a little huskier than normal. 'They...erm, they don't really like magic,' he started, taking a deep breath. 'For as long as I can remember they have told me that it wasn't their choice to take me in; that it was forced on them. They used to tell me that my parents were drunks who had died in a car crash and that I was as worthless as them.' Poppy gave her friend a sharp look as a murmur of distress escaped Minerva's lips, but Harry, caught up in his memories didn't seem to notice. 'I didn't know I was a wizard but when strange things happened they used to go berserk. They would call me a freak and punish me.' Harry trailed off. 'How would they punish you, Harry?' Severus asked quietly. 'Normally, they would lock me in my cupboard and I wouldn't get any meals for a day or two.' 'Your cupboard?' Poppy asked gently. 'The cupboard under the stairs. That was my bedroom until I got my Hogwarts letter.' A faint smile crossed the boys face. 'They went ballistic when my letter was addressed to 'the cupboard under the stairs'. They thought you knew and would come sweeping down and curse them all.' Harry's face fell. 'Of course, no one ever did come.' Severus watched in concern as Minerva pressed a tissue to her mouth and the tears started to fall. Fortunately, Potter seemed oblivious to all of them. 'They didn't really hit me then. I mean I used to get the occasional slap and Aunty Petunia once hit me over the head with a frying pan because I burnt the breakfast but most punishments were more about withholding things. I wasn't allowed to go on school trips or have new things because they said I spoiled everything.' Poppy interrupted gently, 'The scan says you broke your arm when you five. Can you remember how that happened?' 'Uncle Vernon pushed me down the stairs,' Harry stated flatly. 'Why?' Poppy asked into the shocked silence and Harry shrugged. 'No reason, I guess I was just in his way.' The three adults listened in silence as Harry described the years of torment at Privet Drive and the escalating violence once he had started Hogwarts. 'It was the summer of second year that he first started using the belt,' Harry said numbly. 'I'm not sure what happened but it seemed like it changed that year. It was no longer about punishment. It seemed like he was just hitting me for fun. They had put padlocks on the door and a cat flap so they could pass food in. They locked all my school stuff away so I couldn't do my homework. That was the year I learnt how to do the glamours.' 'Why?' Professor McGonagall asked shakily. 'Why did you you hide it and not try and get help?' Harry considered the question for a while. 'I guess I was embarrassed and I didn't want to give everyone another reason to stare at me. The whole school had just got over the whole 'heir of Syltherin' thing and people were treating me normally again. I didn't want to change that, and besides, it got better.' 'It got better?' Severus questioned. 'In what way?' 'Sirius,' Harry said with a sad smile. 'The next summer I had Sirius. My aunt and uncle were terrified of him and they knew we were in contact. I didn't get hit once that year. They were still awful with food and gave me so many chores that my hands were bleeding by the end of the holidays, but it was much better than before.' Harry paused and took another sip of water.'The next summer wasn't so good. It was just after Voldemort had returned and I was having lots of nightmares and kept waking them up. I got slapped about a bit but nothing too serious. I think they were beginning to doubt that Sirius really existed.' 'What changed last summer?' Poppy asked, her heart already knowing the answer. 'I lost Sirius,' Harry chocked on his godfathers name and for the first time felt tears escape his eyes. He looked down into his lap, carefully avoiding the adults eyes.'Mr Weasley and Moody had a word with Uncle Vernon at the train station and said that they weren't happy with the way that I was being treated there. Vernon was furious. I hadn't even got two feet in the door of the house when he punched me. I don't remember that night at all,' Harry said, his voice trembling. 'He beat me unconscious and just left me in the hall. The headmaster had written them a letter telling them that my godfather had died and that they should be extra nice to me.' Harry barked out a bitter laugh and then dropped his head in his hands with a sob. Severus moved to the arm of the chair and without a thought, gathered the trembling boy into his arms. They stayed liked that for a long time whilst, Harry cried until he felt his heart would break, his hands gripping tightly to his professors arm. Severus rubbed the boys back and pressed tissues into his hands and eventually Harry quietened. 'Was the whole summer like that?' Harry nodded. 'He beat me nearly every day. They only let me out of my room to use the bathroom in the morning and at night and they blocked all my letters. There were a few points that I didn't know if I was going to survive the summer. They gave me a meal every other day.' Harry looked up at his stricken head of house, his eyes red and puffy.'I know I should have told you, but I just kept thinking that there was only one summer to go and I know how dangerous it is for anyone else to house me right now. I don't want anyone else to die because of me.' Severus's arms tightened around the distressed young man sat beside him as he heard Minerva repeat his words from the week before. 'Harry, you are sixteen years old and don't need to be worrying about things like that. Let us worry about security issues. You need to concentrate on being a teenager. That's a full time job.' Harry smiled weakly. 'OK,' he whispered.'I'll try.' Poppy gently worked her way through every major injury on the list and Harry explained how each had happened, whilst the adults got more and more angry. Through it all Severus sat on the arm of Harry's chair, his hand still resting on the boys back and Minerva saw how Harry leant into the touch. She blew her nose, extremely touched by the interaction and realising now what Poppy had been talking about all these years. This was a Severus Snape she had never met before and she was determined to make his acquaintance. It was past five when then had finished and was already dark outside the windows of the office. Harry looked exhausted and as Poppy switched off the recording device she watched him stand unsteadily with concern. Ignoring the professional voice in her head, she walked forward and pulled the boy into a hug. She felt Harry hesitate for a second and then sighed in relief as he relaxed into her arms; his head resting on her shoulder. 'If you have no objections Harry, I think you should stay in the hospital wing tonight.'She said quietly into his ear and Harry nodded, too tired to argue. 'Minerva, Could you get him settled?' Harry let his head of house lead him over to one of the beds and smiled gratefully as she transfigured his hospital gown into a pair of thick blue pyjamas. She waved her wand and brought the back of the bed up into a sitting position, before helping him under the covers and sitting on the side of the bed with him. 'Harry,' she said thickly, taking his hand in hers. 'I want to tell you how proud I am of you. I know that today must have been very hard for you and you were incredibly brave.' She paused and sniffed, looking more upset that Harry had ever seen her.'I also want to apologise to you for sending you back to those monsters every year.' Harry shook his head. 'It wasn't your fault professor. You didn't know.' 'No, but I should have,' she said sadly. 'We have all let you down very badly Harry and I promise that from here on, we'll do better.' Harry squeezed her hand and gave a small smile to Snape as he walked past, his face grave. 'Rest well Potter,' the potions master said firmly as he strode out, his robes billowing behind him. Minerva threw a wry smile at her departing colleague and turned back to Harry. 'It appears that you and Professor Snape were able to overcome some of your differences over the holiday?' Harry smiled and answered earnestly. 'He was brilliant Professor. I was really ill and he sat with me all night. He didn't even tell me off about the glamours, just made me promise that I wouldn't put them back up. And he was furious about Umbridge! I thought he was going to pop something!' Harry trailed off, realising that she might not know about that but from the way her face darkened, she obviously did. 'We were all furious about Umbridge, Harry. Did you really think that I knew about that?' Harry flushed and looked down. 'Yeah. I mean there were so many of us in detention, I didn't see how you couldn't know and when you said...' 'When I told you to keep your head down and stay out of trouble, you thought I was blaming you?' Harry nodded miserably, surprised when his professor leant forward and tucked a stray bit of hair behind his ear tenderly. 'Oh Harry. I was completely exasperated with you all last year but not because you were doing anything wrong. You just kept putting yourself in the target zone again and again. You seem to think you have to fight these battles all by yourself and nothing is further from the truth. It was not your job to convince everyone you-know-who had returned. When I saw that article in The Quibbler I nearly had a heart attack at the thought of what Umbridge might do to you in retaliation.' She squeezed his hand tightly.'I would never have let that woman hurt you. If I'd known what she was doing to the students, and the headmaster...well. I have rarely seen him as angry as he was this morning. You do realise she will go to jail for what she has done?' Harry leant back against the pillows with a sigh. Put like that, he felt rather foolish for not getting help sooner. 'Will you promise that you will come to me in future if you are trouble?' she asked gently and Harry smiled weakly. 'I'll try, but it's not easy for me to rely on others.' She smoothed his hair back from his face with a worried frown.'Given the way your family have treated you, I guess that's not surprising but I hope that, in time,we can prove that we are worthy of your trust.' Minerva smiled sadly at the teenager sat before her. As tired as he was, it made his slight frame look all the more shocking. She would not have wished that awful family on anyone and now the poor child was very much alone. 'I'm very sorry about your godfather Harry. I knew that you had met him a few times but I had no idea you had grown so close.' Harry closed his eyes against the tide of emotions that rode over him and sniffed loudly.'We used to write to each other all the time. He was brilliant and I thought once everything was over we would get to be a proper family.' 'Do you think he would have made a good guardian?' she asked seriously and Harry snorted with laughter. 'No, he would have been terrible! He was like a big kid! I would have ended up looking after him.' Harry blew his nose in his tissue. 'But I know we would have had a lot of fun and I really loved him.' Poppy came to sit beside them, a tray of potions in her hand. She took in Harry and Minerva's tear stained faces with an apologetic glance before gently interrupting. 'Harry, Professor Snape left some potions for you to take to help you relax. Do you think you could manage some dinner first?' Harry grimaced and shook his head, unsurprised when Madam Pomfrey waved her wand and summoned a nutrient potion over to join the others on the tray. He drank the potions one by one and snuggled down into the bed as an immediate wave of sleepiness settled over him. Professor McGonagall lowered the bed down flat and tucked him in. She stepped away and blew her nose loudly, not protesting when Poppy's arm settled around her waist. 'Do you think he'll be OK?' she whispered to the nurse and Poppy nodded. 'He's a very strong young man with a lot of people who care about him. I think he'll be fine. I'm only sorry it took us so long to work out what was going on.' Minerva nodded sadly. 'Me too, Poppy; me too.' )O( Severus walked down to dinner that evening with the days events swimming around his head. Potter had been remarkable. The boy had told his story with an amazing amount of dignity and maturity, only really breaking when the godmutt had come up. Severus scowled at the thought of Black. If only the irresponsible idiot had stayed where he should have been, then things might be a lot better for the boy now. He picked up the air of tension the moment he walked into the dining room. Poppy and Flitwick were talking in hushed whispers whilst the rest of the staff buzzed anxiously around them. 'What's going on?' he asked sharply and Professor Flitwick gave a little squeak. 'It's Minerva, Severus. She's gone off her trolley!' 'What happened?' 'She apparently attacked the headmaster,' Poppy said quietly and Severus raised an eyebrow knowing they both wondering the same thing. Flitwick rushed into a excited explanation. 'I was having a meeting with the headmaster about the end of term tests and she came flying in in a rage. She was screaming something about, 'I told you, I told you those bloody muggles were no good,' and then she punched him.' Severus's mouth fell open. 'She punched him,' he asked incredulously. 'Right in the nose,' the charms professor confirmed. 'Blood everywhere, and the headmaster looked too shocked to do anything. She was still hitting him when I left. I thought a quick retreat might be in order in case he blew the windows out again.' 'A sensible decision, I think,' Severus said dryly, a small smile crossing his face. Professor Sprout listened to the tale in growing horror.'My goodness! We should go make sure he's all right.' 'Not necessary.''He'll be fine.' The rest of the staff fell silent and watched in disbelief as Severus and Poppy sat casually down at the table and laid napkins over their laps. 'Pumpkin juice, Poppy?' Severus asked politely, offering to fill her cup. 'Thank you Severus and could you pass the rolls?' 'But...but....we can't do nothing,'Professor Sprout stuttered. 'She broke his nose!' 'I'm sure he deserved it,' Severus stated firmly and Poppy nodded her head. 'This soup is rather good,' she said as Severus grinned and the rest of the staff stood in shocked silence. )O(
To be continued...
Chapter 11 by Kendra James
Author's Notes:
A short chapter but made up for by three chapters today
 

Harry slept late the following day, eventually being woken by Madam Pomfrey at about 11 with a breakfast tray. He pushed himself up into a sitting position and rubbed his eyes sleepily, surprised at how exhausted he felt.

 

'I hate waking up in here,' he told her grumpily and she chuckled.

 

'You do seem to spend rather a lot of your time here don't you dear. I would like to treat your wrist this morning if that's all right with you?'

 

Harry grimaced but agreed. At least this way he would be sorted before everyone came back to school. He picked at his breakfast and thought through yesterdays events. It had been harder than he thought to face Professor McGonagall, although he was extremely grateful at the calm way the meeting had gone.

 

After eating a pitiful amount of food, he pushed his tray away and ignored Madam Pomfrey's pursed lips. Thankfully, she didn't make comment but instead handed him another vial of nutrient potion which he took without argument.

 

She sent him off for a shower and then got him to change into fresh pyjamas and hop back into bed. She elevated his arm on top of two fluffy pillows and pulled up a chair beside the bed.

 

'Right then Mr Potter. You broke two bones in your wrist and they have started to heal at a wrong angle. I am going to re break them and then cast a spell that will start them healing again. Now because this is a re break, it might take a little time.'

 

'How long do you think?' Harry asked worriedly. He really didn't want to spend the rest of his holiday in the hospital wing.

 

'The spell should only take a few hours, four at most, but I'm afraid this is going to be rather uncomfortable. You will also have to wear a splint for a week or two until the wrist is a little stronger. '

 

Harry's mood fell rapidly. So much for no one else knowing he thought with annoyance. He gave an encouraging smile to the mediwitch to show he had understood and she stood and pointed her wand at his arm with an apologetic smile.

 

'Effrego memor' she whispered and Harry hissed in pain as a pair of resounding cracks echoed through the hospital wing.

 

Stood behind a hospital screen, Severus winced as he heard the spell and Harry's sharp intake of breath.

 

Ouch, he thought with sympathy. That had to hurt!

 

He heard as Poppy spoke the long and complicated spell that would start the bones weaving back together. Severus was relieved he hadn't attempted to fix the wrist himself as he knew the witch would not have used that particular incantation unless it was strictly necessary. It meant Potter was about to have a few very unpleasant hours.

 

He waited until the witch had finished and had given Potter a few pain potions before making his presence known. The boy was as white as a ghost and sweat was beaded across his forehead. He saw the moment that Potter noticed him and the grim smile that crossed his face.

 

'Good morning Sir.'

 

'Morning Mr Potter, I see Madam Pomfrey is fixing your wrist.'

 

The boy nodded and grimaced. 'I have to wear a splint for a while.'

 

'Have you thought about what you will tell your friends?'

 

Harry shrugged. 'The truth I guess; I mean, not everyone obviously but it's probably time I stopped...well, hiding.'

 

Severus nodded, slightly alarmed by Harry's pallor.

 

'I think you will find it all a great deal easier with the support of your friends.'

 

Harry looked up at his grim faced professor and wondered if it would be rude to ask the question. As if the man had read his mind, Snape's eyebrow rose and a familiar snarl fell into place.

 

'What is running through that adolescent brain of yours Potter?'

 

'I just wondered if you ever told anyone?'

 

Severus sighed and with a flick of his wand, pulled over a chair. He sat down beside the teenager and took a moment to gather his thoughts. Had he really got close enough to the boy to divulge such personal details?

 

After a moments thought he realised that he was probably closer to Potter than any other wizard right now. Even Albus had been held at arms length all these years. What a difference three weeks had made, he thought wryly.

 

'I never told anyone whilst I was at school. There were times when members of the teaching staff were suspicious but I always denied there was a problem if asked. It was a very different world, even then. The authorities were less likely to interfere with a family, even then they did know there were problems.' He paused and looked at the boy thoughtfully. 'I think your mother knew how difficult my home life was. She occasionally encouraged me to talk to someone.'

 

Harry learnt back against the pillow and listened sadly to his professor.

 

'I'm sorry it was so bad for you professor and I'm really sorry if my dad made it worse for you. I was...not pleased when I saw that memory. It reminded me of Malfoy and his goons.'

 

Severus felt his shoulders tighten in familiar annoyance at the reminder of that particular incident.

 

'Yes, well Potter,' he drawled. 'It is probably wise if you refrain from reminding me of that particular intrusion into my private memories.'

 

Harry blushed and looked down at his arm which was now burning as if it was being held too close to a fire. 'Sorry sir,' he mumbled and his professor grunted in return.

 

Madam Pomfrey came over with a pale green bandage and with a short nod to her colleague cast a spell that caused Harry's arm to levitate a few inches above the pillow. The green bandage swiftly wrapped itself around his wrist and hand and then with a flash of light went rigid, leaving Harry's arm encased in a green cast.

 

'There you go Mr Potter, that should support the wrist for the next week or two. I suggest you stay here until you can no longer feel any heat in the bones.'

 

Harry tapped the splint and found it surprisingly solid.

'It' a bit like a muggle cast,' he said in surprise and the witch smiled.

 

'It's a very similar idea, except that it will automatically adjust to any changes in your arm, so shouldn't be hot or itchy and will stretch if your wrist or arm swells. You can also shower or bathe in it; it wont get wet.'

 

She left him and Severus then and returned to her office to write up her notes. Poppy opened Harry's medical notes with a sigh. They were already the thickest set of notes she had on any student and she had yet to add yesterdays scans and reports to the pile.

 

Poor boy, she thought sadly, listening the murmurs of Harry and Severus's conversation drifting into the office. At least he had some support now. That boy had been coping alone for far too long.

 

In the hospital wing, Severus watched as the remaining bit of colour in Harry's face fled in the face of the discomfort in his arm.

 

'How about a game of chess Potter?' he asked abruptly and the boys eyes opened in surprise.

 

'Are you sure sir. The students come back tomorrow evening. You must have better things to do with your time than babysit me?

 

Severus smirked. 'Yes, well, that may be true but I imagine some distraction might be welcome just now?'

 

Harry grimaced and nodded. 'Yes sir, it would. Thank you.'

 

Severus conjured a small table and chess set and helped Harry into a better position. They settled down in silence to play.

 

)O(

 

When Albus Dumbledore walked into the hospital wing an hour later, it was his potions professors voice he heard first. Pausing for a moment, he waved his hand over his body, becoming instantly invisible and walked quietly around the screen. His eyes were instantly drawn to the green eyed teenager tucked up in bed, his face tense in a mixture of pain and concentration.

 

He looked gravely at the elevated arm, seeing the waves of magical energy surrounding the pale green splint as the bones healed themselves. The wrist had been broken as Harry was thrown to the floor by his uncle, according to the report he had read last night. An injury that was more than five months old, had never been treated and Harry had kept a secret from everyone through a whole term of school.

 

The thought of it made Albus want to weep.

 

In the hospital pyjamas, Harry looked thinner than ever and the elderly wizard found himself filled with rage as he thought of Vernon and Petunia Dursley's deliberate neglect of this child.

 

With one last look at the boy, he silently crossed to Poppy's office and let himself in. He had been able to fix most of the damage inflicted on him by his deputy headmistress the night before but not all. He wished now that he hadn't fixed his nose so quickly. He was the one who deserved to be in pain just now, not the young boy in the bed.

 

Thank heavens for Severus, he thought gravelly. If the potions master hadn't spotted what was happening then Harry would have been returned to that place for another summer. The file suggested that the violence had escalated severely this past year and Albus found himself going cold at the thought of what another summer in the Dursleys' care might have brought.

 

To be continued...
Chapter 12 by Kendra James
 

)O(

 

Severus leant back in the armchair and watched the teenager sleeping. They had played the chess game for just over an hour before Severus had looked up and realised the boy had drifted back to sleep. Reluctant to wake him, he had stayed put, taking the time to really look at the young man.

 

The light in the hospital wing was harsh and highlighted every mark on the pale skin. Severus found himself cataloguing each line and blemish on the boys face and arms and matching them with the events that Poppy had so expertly dragged from the boy the day before.

 

Blasted, useless, pathetic, muggles, he thought savagely. He hoped Peeves was having fun. A slight smile crossed his face. That plan had been particularly inspired and he was looking forward to Peeves report.

 

He heard Poppy's office door open and a moment later a large squashy armchair in a hideous purple colour appeared beside him. He didn't look up as the headmaster quietly took the new chair and conjured a pot of tea and three mugs. Poppy soon joined them and the three staff sat in silence for a long time.

 

Eventually the headmaster turned to his dark colleague.

'Severus, are you talking to me?' he asked quietly and Severus heard the uncertainty and sadness in the older man's voice.

 

He looked at Albus's curiously flat blue eyes and grimaced.

'I can hardly judge you where Mr Potter is concerned, can I headmaster? I'm still coming to terms with my own role in all of this.'

 

Albus sighed heavily. 'You cannot blame yourself for this Severus. You were neither his head or house or guardian. You have had minimal interaction with the boy over the years and Harry chose not to confide in any of the adults here.'

 

'And I'm sure that my constant verbal assaults made trusting adults in this school almost impossible.' Severus spat bitterly.

 

There was a moments uncomfortable silence and Albus's heart ached for his younger colleague. There was no denying that Severus's behaviour towards Harry had been deplorable but he would have given anything to find a comforting word for the man just now.

 

'You have had the opportunity to meet the Harry that the rest of us have known and cared for these many years Severus so I know that things will be different between you now. You must remember though, that you saw something we didn't. It was you who uncovered this and ensured that the boy will never be hurt by those people again.'

Albus paused as Harry stirred and moved slightly in the bed, grimacing even in sleep as his bones shifted and burned.

 

'I hold responsibility for placing him there,' he continued quietly. 'I did so against the advice of people I trust and will have to live with the consequences of that, as will Harry.'

 

Severus glanced sideways at his boss and tried to hide his smirk.

'How's the nose?' he asked deadpan and the headmaster smiled.

 

'I should have known that the school grapevine would have been working hard last night. I hope Minerva was not judged too harshly by her colleagues?'

 

'I believe Flitwick's words were, she's gone off her trolley' Poppy answered with a smile. 'They will all understand once they know.'

 

Albus inclined his head at her words and the slight censure they contained. 'I noticed you did not rush to my aid Poppy. A fact I am very grateful for. I was not in the frame of mind for company last night. Is Minerva all right?'

 

Poppy smiled, her expression warming slightly. 'Yes, she's fine. She was a little upset last night and is like all of us, feeling terrible about this. She has gone to Hogsmeade today to visit a friend and will be back for the staff meeting tonight.'

 

Albus looked back at Harry who had settled again and was sleeping deeply, his face flushed.

'Should we inform the rest of the staff? I know it's normal protocol but I'm concerned that Harry doesn't feel he is in a goldfish bowl yet again.'

 

Severus watched the boy thoughtfully. 'I think the more people around him that know, the better, but I would suggest you gain his permission first. It would also be wise to inform select members of The Order of the situation.'

 

'Perhaps, you could talk to him Severus. I want to let him come to me when he is ready rather than invade his space just now. Our relationship has been on somewhat shaky ground since Sirius's death.'

 

Severus glanced sharply at the older man. Potter had not been talking to the headmaster? That was news to him. It meant the boy had been even more isolated over the last few months.

 

'I will talk to him this afternoon, once this hideous spell has finished it's torture,' he said heavily. 'Do we have a long agenda for this evenings meeting?'

 

Albus shook his head. 'We have covered most things. The legal process has already started with Delores Umbridge and we appear to have a missing Poltergeist but other than that, it should be a light evening. We still don't have a defence teacher and with Slughorn's death, I am at a loss as to where to look next. That's a problem we are not going to solve this evening. I was going to suggest drinks in my rooms afterwards before the students return tomorrow.'

 

Severus smiled. 'I know I could use a drink and I think I can take one thing off the agenda. Peeves isn't missing, he has been...reallocated.'

 

Poppy gave her colleague a sharp look and the headmaster frowned.

 

'Why do I think I'm not going to like this?' Albus said sternly.

 

Severus's lip curled in amusement and the effect was rather startling. It reminded Poppy of a rather enraged,feral animal.

 

'I take it you read the full report Poppy prepared yesterday,' he asked the older man and the headmaster nodded sadly.

 

'Then you will have read about the cupboard under the stairs?'

 

Albus and Poppy both scowled at the reminder of that particular detail.

 

'Well, I may have sent the Durlseys' a letter saying that something sad had happened to Harry and that we would be sending someone round to explain; and I may have then arranged for a new occupant for that blasted cupboard.'

 

Poppy snorted in amusement. 'You've let them believe that Harry is haunting them?' she laughed incredulously and Severus nodded with a grin.

 

Albus frowned and looked sternly over the top of his glasses. 'Now Severus, I cannot condone you running around implying that students have died to their next of kin. Even in these circumstances.'

 

Poppy couldn't help noticing that the lecture seemed rather half hearted.

 

'What if they opened the cupboard?' she asked curiously.

 

'They they would see a pearly white version of Potter lying on the floor groaning.'

 

Albus buried his face in his tea cup as he tried not to smile and Poppy snorted loudly.

'I didn't even know Peeves could take other forms?'

 

'Oh yes,' replied Severus with a grin. 'He's gotten rather good at it over the holidays 'He got lot's of practice in with Umbridge.'

 

Albus chocked on his tea and Poppy sniggered into her hand.

 

'You sent him after the toad,' she stated gleefully and her colleagues grin widened.

 

'Clip-clop, clip-clop,' Severus mimed evilly and even Albus couldn't hide his smile.

 

'Remind me never to get on your bad side, Severus,' he said evenly. 'You really do scare me sometimes.'

 

Rather pleased with that response, Severus helped himself to a ginger biscuit and topped up his cup.

 

'Have you thought about asking Lupin to return?' he suggested and both his colleagues looked at him in astonishment.

 

'Severus, I can't believe you are suggesting Remus after...well, last time.' Poppy stated frankly.

 

Severus looked at his tea and did his best to feign disinterest.

'Yes, well despite everything he was a half way decent teacher and with Lucius Malfoy out of the picture the board is unlikely to object. I can't see the Ministry likely to intervene either; not whilst their last little interference with the school is splashed all over the front page of The Prophet.'

 

Albus nodded thoughtfully.

'You would really have no objection Severus?'

 

Severus shook his head. 'I'm also aware that he and Potter grew close. It would be a good support for the boy. I dare say the wolf is much more touchy feely than I.'

 

Poppy lay a hand on her colleagues arm and answered softly.

'...and yet it was your arms in which the boy curled up and cried yesterday.'

 

Albus gave his colleague a surprised and slightly watery smile.

'I hadn't realized just how far the two of you had come these last few weeks Severus. I'm proud of you.'

 

The headmaster stood and quietly banished the purple chair.

'I will send an owl to Remus and see if he would be willing to assist us once more. May I include your blessing in the note Severus?'

 

Severus inclined his head slightly. I must be bloody mad, he thought shakily. If the wolf eats me I will only have myself to blame.

 

Poppy looked thoughtfully at the younger man beside her as the headmaster disappeared around the infirmary doors in a swish of lime green robes. There really had been an enormous shift in Severus. He had always been more protective of the students than any of the staff realised but he rarely let anyone close enough to impact on him.

 

Somehow, Harry had broken through. It was wonderful to see.

 

'Will Draco Malfoy be returning tomorrow?' she asked quietly and he shook his head, looking troubled.

 

'No, the funeral is next week and Nacissa is considering sending him to another school. I think she is hopeful that with his fathers influence removed that he may be able to forge a different path.'

 

'Would that be safe for him here? To change allegiances like that?'

 

Severus grimaced. 'Truthfully? I don't think so. There are rumours that Draco has already taken the mark. I think a new school abroad is probably a wise decision just now.'

 

'Do we know how Lucius got out of Azkaban in the first place?'

 

Severus smiled wryly. 'No, but he certainly wasn't there for more than a few weeks. Our new Minister for magic is not looking good at the moment and his influence is seriously reduced. It is all good news for us. Albus's influence is strong and more than ever he is being seen as the steady voice of reason whilst the Ministry bumble from one crisis to another. It makes it that much more difficult for The Dark Lord to gain any real power. Even if he did seriously infiltrate the Ministry, there is not enough consensus to pass new laws or make any significant changes. '

 

'So Lucius's actions have bought us a little more time.' Poppy stated quietly and her colleague nodded.

 

'We had better use it well,' he added seriously.

 

)O(

 

Harry sat on the floor of the common room, rearranging his pile of books. Most of them were to be returned to the library and a few were to go back upstairs. It had been nice using the common room as his own private study and it was going to feel strange having the place full of students again.

 

He thought back to his conversation with Snape that afternoon. He had been surprised to find the man still there when he had woken up. Snape had been reading The Daily Prophet and eating his lunch and hadn't seemed at all annoyed that Harry had fallen asleep in the middle of their game. He had saved their places so they could continue at another time.

 

Madam Pomfrey had given him a quick check-up and released him and Snape had walked him back to his common room. He had explained about the staff meeting and his discussion with the headmaster and Harry had given his permission for them to tell anyone they thought should know.

 

Snape's last words at the door to the common room had stayed with Harry all afternoon.

 

'I want you to know that my office door is always open if you need to talk about any of this Potter and the headmaster wanted to convey to you that you may visit him any time you wish. I understand that things have been strained between the two of you this year, but he is very concerned for you and extremely upset that you have been mistreated in this way.'

 

Harry had not been certain that Professor Snape would continue to be OK with him once term started again but he seemed to be saying that Harry could still go to him for help if he needed it. It made Harry feel safer knowing that there was another person on his side. It felt like Hogwarts was suddenly a different place, everything had changed.

 

He returned his books to the library and tidied his room before joining the staff and Hufflepuffs in the hall for dinner. Professor McGonagall sat next to him at dinner and gave his knee a quick squeeze before turning to talk to her colleagues about the latest book on transfiguration. He didn't know if he was imagining it but the rest of the staff seemed a little nervous with his head of house. He wondered if she had given them all a telling off about something?

 

Harry chatted to the other students, explaining his splint as an old injury that hadn't healed properly and they all immediately assumed it had something to do with Lockheart and his disastrous attempt at first aid in second year. Harry did not correct them and noticed an amused look thrown his way by Snape.

 

He went back to the Hufflepuffs common room with them after dinner and enjoyed the final evening with the four of them. This time tomorrow the school would be packed and he planned to talk to Ron and Hermoine as soon as he could.

 

Eric shared out their last bottle of butter bear and threw himself down on the sofa with a sigh.

'This has been a really great holiday,' he stated happily and Harry smiled wryly.

 

'I can honestly say my best Christmas yet,' he agreed and Emma and Morgan both arghed and ruffled his hair.

 

'You're welcome here any time you like, our honorary Hufflepuff,' Morgan said with a smile and Harry grinned.

 

'It's been great getting to know you,' Harry said seriously. 'I sometimes wish the houses weren't as separated as they are.'

 

'Maybe we should do something about that?' Emma suggested and Eric nodded thoughtfully.

 

'Yeah, lets give it some thought and meet up soon.'

 

They all agreed with a toast and as the glasses clinked Harry could have sworn he felt a slight pulse of magic rush over his fingers.

 

)O(

To be continued...
Chapter 13 by Kendra James
 

)O(

 

The staff room was deathly quiet as everyone stared at Poppy in horrified silence.

 

'Please tell me you are joking!' Professor Sprout whispered and Poppy shook her head sadly.

 

'I wish I was Pomona, Harry has extensive scarring and several badly healed injuries, some of which are years old. It is one of the worst cases Severus and I have seen.'

 

Everyone's gaze turned to Severus and Professor Flitwick asked curiously.

'It was you who uncovered this Severus?'

 

The potions professor scowled as he felt all his colleagues eyes on his, remembering their hostility to him on New Years Eve.

 

'Yes,' he asked evenly. 'Mr Potter had a serious chest infection during the holidays and whilst treating him, I discovered he was wearing glamours. Underneath,....well, you have all seen his weight. There were also open wounds on his back and several more serious injuries. The boy had been walking round all term with broken ribs and a broken wrist.'

 

Hagrid groaned and buried his head in his hands.

'I should've known, ' he bawled in anguish. 'Why did'nr he tell no one?'

 

'It is very rare for a child to disclose they are being beaten, Hagrid,' the Headmaster said quietly. 'It is usually by their behaviour and their injuries that it is spotted. Unfortunately, in this I have let Harry down very badly. I knew he was unhappy at home but I never suspected....'

 

The staff all looked hastily away as Albus blew his nose on a large hanky and wiped his eyes.

 

'We have all let Harry down Albus,' Poppy whispered. 'You must not carry this alone.'

 

The Headmaster smiled at her, for once the smile not reaching his eyes.

 

'You are more forgiving than I deserve, my dear,' he said kindly. 'Concerns have been raised to me on several occasions by those close to Harry and I choose to ignore them. There are many who have a right to be angry with me just now; not least Mr Potter.'

 

The collective attention immediately shifted to Professor McGonagall who was sat white faced, her hands folded tightly in her lap. Minerva's outburst in the Headmasters office was now making a great deal more sense and Professor Sprout patted her colleagues arm in sympathy. Minerva was well known to be protective of her little lions and would not be taking this revelation well.

 

'Will the Aunt and Uncle be facing charges Albus?' Flitwick asked, by far the calmest person in the room and the Headmaster sighed in response.

 

'Eventually, I hope so,' he said quietly. 'At the moment I am more concerned in protecting Harry from the publicity that would ensue if this went to court now. He has already had a very distressing few months. I will have to talk to him but I am hopeful that we may be able to find him a more appropriate guardian without having to lay charges.'

 

Professor Sprout gasped, her face full of outrage. 'Albus! You can't let those Muggles just get away with this. They have mistreated one of our children.'

 

Albus smiled at the protectiveness of his staff and in particular the emphasis on 'our' children whilst Severus chuckled into his coffee mug.

 

'I don't believe they are just 'getting away' with it Pomona,' Albus stated with a pointed look at his potions master.

 

Poppy's eyes widened as she saw the wicked grin that flashed between Minerva and Severus.

 

'What did you do,' she asked eagerly and Severus rose an eyebrow at her.

 

'Hardly anything,.....yet.' he stated dryly and the mood in the staff room lightened considerably.

 

'Well, if you need any help with that 'hardly anything,' please do let me know,' Flitwick stated with a distinct edge of steel in his voice and Severus inclined his head in acknowledgement.

 

'I believe I may take you up on that,' he said quietly as the headmaster cleared his throat, pointedly throwing a disapproving look their way.

 

No one in the room was fooled. The man had blown the windows out the day before when he heard their students had been subjected to a blood quill. They had no doubt what would happen to Vernon Dursley if he had been unfortunate enough to be in the same room right now.

 

'How is Harry coping?' Pomona asked, her question directed to Poppy and Minerva.

 

All of the staff knew from experience that a welfare meeting and the process of being forced to face up to the reality of an abusive background was often an awful time for a child. There was an uncomfortable silence, before Severus realised that both of the witches were too distressed to answer the question and smoothly stepped in to fill the void.

 

'Potter has been remarkable composed throughout the whole ordeal.' he stated quietly. 'He is more concerned about the security risk to any new guardian and I believe that was the main factor he considered when he decided not to disclose his injuries last term.'

 

'He was trying to protect everyone else.' Albus stated sadly.

 

'Yes; strongly influenced by the death of his godfather. I believe Mr Potter decided he wasn't willing to let anyone else risk their lives for him.' Severus broke off and glanced across at Hagrid who had started to sob loudly.

 

Professor Flitwick watched Severus thoughtfully. It was hard not to miss the change in the way his colleague was describing young Harry Potter. They were all used to Severus practically spitting the boys name.

 

Unbidden, an image of Severus and Harry sat side by side on the couch on New Years Eve, both sniggering at some quiet comment sprang to the tiny professors mind. He had not thought the severe young man capable of compassion but found himself wondering just how much he really knew about his colleague? Severus had always had the confidence of Dumbledore and Filius knew that many of the staff had been sceptical about the headmasters judgement. Yet again, it seemed as if Albus had seen something the rest of them had missed.

 

'I am glad you were here for him Severus,' Pomona said quietly to murmured agreement from the rest of the staff. 'I get the impression that this is not the first student in these circumstances that you have supported?'

 

'We see two or three Slytherin's at the start of each school year,' Poppy replied seriously and at the staffs quiet shock, Severus added.

 

'There's a reason eleven year old children are sorted into a house that typifies self reliance, personal ambition and survival instincts,' he said pointedly. 'The majority of kids in my house only truly know acceptance and safety within these walls and even then only within their house. The rest of the schools attitude towards Slytherin only serves to re enforce their belief that they are on their own.'

 

A tense silence fell and Severus was surprised and somewhat shaken by the compassion he felt directed his way. Since when did his colleagues care about his snakes?

 

'How many children like this are you currently supporting?' Filius asked, his voice so quiet it was barely audible.

 

Poppy hesitated, 'I'm not sure of exact num........'

 

'Twenty seven,' Severus interrupted smoothly, gratified to hear several of his colleagues gasp. 'Those are the ones within my house who have suffered or are under investigation for physical abuse. There are a further fourteen who are treated rather badly at home, but not to an extend that action could be taken. I meet each of them fortnightly.'

 

'But Severus,' Minerva exclaimed. 'That represents...'

 

'More than a third of Slytherin. Yes, I am aware,' he said wryly.

 

'I have three in my house.' Pomona said quietly. 'I thought that horrific enough. I had no idea Severus.'

 

Hagrid blew his nose loudly, finally composed enough to speak.

'I always wondered why yer yung Sylther'ns wer' so loyal t'yer Pr'f'sr. I understand now, what with yer lookin after so many poor wee things.'

 

Albus smiled fondly at his gamekeeper. Sometimes Hagrid was surprisingly good at stating what everyone else missed.

 

Severus, 'the protector,' was not an image many would see when they looked at the sour faced man; but that is exactly the role he had held for many years. It was ironic that Harry, who Severus had sworn a wizarding oath to protect had been the one to slip through the net.

 

Albus looked around the room at his staff and knew he would not be the only one seeking to make amends with young Harry.

 

Albus sighed heavily. He and Poppy now had a visit to Grimmauld Place to make and would have to go through this whole sad tale again. The Weasley family in particular were going to be very difficult to manage.

 

The Order members had all grown fond of Harry over the last few years and those who had been stationed to watch Privet Drive were not going to be happy that they had guarded the perimeter of that dreadful house, unaware of all the harm going on inside.

 

)O(

 

Harry paused by the doors to the great hall and took a deep, steadying breath. He had been awake since four and had sat watching the sunrise over the snowy hills for hours, trying not to get nervous about breakfast.

 

Snape had said that the staff would all be told at the meeting last night and most of The Order later the same evening. It made him cringe to think that an Order meeting had been called just so that all the important adults in his life could be told that he was too much of a wimp to defend himself against a few overweight muggles.

 

Harry debated turning around and running back to his common room. What did it matter if he skipped breakfast? If he stayed in his house until all the students arrived this evening then at least the staff would be too busy to focus on him.

 

Except, he had promised Morgan and Emma one last fly around the Quiddtich pitch and knew they wouldn't let him fly without having eaten first.

 

Harry stood in the middle of the large entrance hall, indecision evident in every line of his body, unaware of soft brown eyes watching him sadly.

 

'Harry.'

 

He spun around at the quiet voice, a surprised and delighted smile crossing his face.

 

'Remus! What are you doing here?'

 

In answer the gentle man just spread his arms wide and Harry ran into them without thought. Thin arms tightened around him and Harry found himself held firmly against the man's chest, his head resting on Remus's shoulder.

 

'I can't believe you're here,' Harry murmured happily. He hadn't seen the man since that awful night at the Ministry.

 

Remus held the boy close, his throat thick with emotion as he felt every one of Harry's ribs; even through the thick jumper that drowned his small frame. Listening to Poppy talk through Harry's injuries the night before had been the longest hour of his life and it had taken all of his control not to jump up and instantly apparate to the boys side.

 

When Albus had cornered him after the meeting and offered him his old defence position, Remus had been packed and ready to go in twenty minutes. There was no way he was letting his old friends son out of his sight. He would set the wolf on anyone who laid a hand on Harry again, or tried to separate them.

 

'How are you doing there Harry?' he asked gently and in answer Harry snuggled in closer to the man's chest.

 

'I've been better,' he whispered and felt Remus tighten his hug.

 

'I know and I'm sorry. No one should have to go through this.' Remus struggled to find the words to say, wishing more than ever that Sirius was here. He pulled back a little and laying a hand on each of the boys shoulders, gave Harry his best smile.

'You know that there are lots of people who care about you don't you? I know it might not feel like it but you are not alone.'

 

Harry gave a watery smile and looked at his feet, finding it hard to meet the man's eye. Why wasn't Remus angry at him? He had lied and covered up what was going on at home and Remus had lost the last of his friends because of Harry's stupidity. He had expected to see disappointment in the man's face. Not this quiet compassion.

 

'Does everyone know now?' Harry asked thickly, still looking at his feet.

 

The Professors grip tightened on Harry's shoulders.

'Only those that need to Harry. I would advise that you talk to your friends soon though, particularly the Weasleys. Molly was rather emotional last night and is not the best at hiding her feelings.'

 

Harry grimaced; that would mean talking to Fred and George as well although he didn't think the twins would pester him if chose not confide in them.

 

'I'm sorry Mrs Weasley was upset,' he mumbled and Remus pulled him back into a hug.

 

The boy was bloody apologizing for being beaten, he thought savagely. What the hell had those people done to make the child think it was his fault? And why hadn't anyone noticed?

 

Memories of the patronus lessons jumped into his mind and the fact that Harry had struggled to find a happy memory to use. Why hadn't he realised that wasn't normal? Why hadn't any alarm bells gone off. Remus cursed himself, those bloody muggles and every member of staff in this stupid school. They were meant to be the adults for Merlins sake, and yet Harry had had to deal with all of this alone.

 

'Don't be sorry, Harry,' he murmured softly in the boys ear. 'Molly and Arthur care for you very much. We had to force several whiskeys down Arthur's neck to stop him paying an impromptu visit to Privet Drive. Alastor Moody volunteered to go hold your uncle down for him!'

 

Harry sniggered into the werewolf's shoulder, his face pressed into the frayed wool of Remus's jumper.

 

'I'd have liked to see that,' he admitted. 'I can't imagine Mr Weasley angry.'

 

'We were all angry, Harry; but not at you.' He reassured softly.

 

 

Severus turned the corner to the entrance hall and paused as he took in the two wizards stood before him. He quietly took a step back into a small alcove and watched as Lupin comforted the boy.

 

Harry's head was resting on the man's shoulder and Lupin held him tightly, one hand firmly wrapped around the boys back, the other stroking his hair.

Severus felt strangely numb at the scene. He couldn't even summon his normal scorn for the bedraggled looking wolf who frankly looked worse than Severus had ever seen him.

 

The scrawny teenager was wearing his christmas jumper again and baggy trousers and Severus recognized the need to hide from the gaze of the teaching staff. Harry was clearly hiding as much as he possibly could and Severus was surprised and impressed that the boy had even come down for breakfast.

 

He watched as Lupin took a step back and patted the boys arm gently.

'Are you ready to get some breakfast?'

 

Harry swallowed and nodded, his face pale and Remus opened the door to the great hall for him. Severus watched them go and counted to fifty before following at a sedate pace.

 

)O(

 

To be continued...
End Notes:
A note from the real world. My original novel is available to buy on Amazon for anyone who is enjoying this. Under penname Cassandra Bellingham - 'The Prophecy of Kinnaird'
Chapter 14 by Kendra James
Author's Notes:
Hey! Where did all my reviewers go? You've all abandoned me beacuse it took so long to update haven't you? Come back! I need you guys.
 

Breakfast had not been nearly as bad as Harry as expected. The three Hufflepuffs had been so excited to see Remus again that they had almost dived on him as he entered the great hall. Harry had carefully avoided making eye contact with the rest of the teaching staff and concentrated on the conversation between Remus and his friends.

 

Professor Snape had arrived a few moments later and after quietly congratulating Remus on his new position had gone to sit alone at the far end of the table, leaving several spaces between him and the rest of the staff.

 

Harry smiled broadly at Remus, delighted to hear that he would be teaching again and after promising to pop by his office later in the day, excused himself and went to sit at the opposite end of the noisy table. Harry slid into the seat opposite Snape and quietly poured himself a cup of coffee.

 

Severus glanced up at the boy at then returned to reading his paper, his heart strangely warmed by the fact that Harry was sitting with him and not at the opposite end of the table with the wolf and his friends. He quietly offered the boy the sports pages which Harry took with a small smile, turning automatically to the weekend Quidditch scores. They both returned to their breakfast in silence whilst the rest of the staff fought bravely to keep their own conversation flowing and ignore Minerva who was crying into her cornflakes.

 

)O(

 

Harry spent an enjoyable few hours in the air on his broom, laughing as Emma practised the moves she had learnt on her house mates. He was careful not to get involved with any actual plays as he didn't want to risk his wrist whilst it was still mending. Instead, he pushed the speed on the broom as far as it would go and weaved in and out of the stands, perfecting his turns and braking.

 

After lunch, he helped Remus unpack all his books and straighten out his office; pleased when the rest of students came to help. He could see Remus was pleased too and it helpfully meant the Professor couldn't question him any more about the Dursleys.

 

Harry collapsed on his bed with a sigh and looked at the clock. It was four 'o'clock, which meant he could get a few hours sleep and then be up and ready for the rest of the students arriving. He had practised a few hundred times in his head what he would to his friends and he thought he had it almost learnt by heart. He was most worried about Ron. You could never be sure just how Ron was going to act to any given situation. Despite the tension in his gut Harry quickly drifted to sleep, waking just as the sun was setting over the great lake.

 

He showered and changed, carefully layering his clothes under his cloak to add a few much needed inches to his waist and wandered down to the great hall. Most of the teachers were already milling about and Harry knew his friends would be in the carriages by now, heading up the hill towards to castle.

 

In no time at all he was accepting hugs and 'Happy New Years' from his house mates and the hall was filling up rapidly. Harry was teased, slapped on the back and had his hair ruffled before he slid into a seat beside Ron who had given him a sharp look and a tentative smile before sitting down. Hermione sat opposite them and was quickly joined by Luna and Neville, who had apparently got together in the holidays.

 

The start of term notices were given, the feast began and finally the noise dropped to a level that allowed conversation. Harry turned nervously to his friends.

 

'So how was The Burrow,' he asked Ron, spooning a large helping of roast parsnips onto his plate.

 

Ron and Hermione exchanged a look and then Ron answered quietly. 'A bit weird to be honest mate. Christmas was great but there were so many order members coming and going it was all a bit tense. You know about Malfoy?'

 

Harry nodded. 'Yeah, I saw it in The Prophet. I heard Draco's not coming back this year.'

 

Hermione nodded, leaning forward. 'It's not just Draco. We heard on the train that Crabbe, Goyle and Nott have left too. Nott's family have all gone into hiding. Apparently, his dad was one of the death eaters that was killed the same night as Malfoy.'

 

They all glanced over at the Slytherin table that was clearly showing a few empty spaces.

 

Ron sniggered. 'Snape's not going to have any students left at the end of the year if this keeps up.'

 

'Did you hear what The Order has got planned?' Harry whispered and Ron shook his head before glancing back at Hermione.

 

'No, only...,' He looked at Harry anxiously. 'They called a meeting on New Year's Day and Fred and George were there and afterwards...well, Charlie had a word with me and said I needed to look out for you this year and be a good friend. I think the meeting was about you.'

 

Harry nodded seriously. Here goes, he thought with a sigh. 'It was Ron,' he said quietly.

 

Hermione leant forward. 'You're not in trouble are you?' she asked anxiously and Harry smiled.

 

'No, it's just, well; I'm not going back to the Dursleys'.'

 

Ron's eyes widened. 'Really? Not ever? That's brilliant!'

 

Harry grinned. 'I know.'

 

'Harry, what happened?' Hermione asked leaning over the table to lay a hand on his arm.

 

Harry realised that Luna and Neville had turned to listen and in a split second decision, decided to include them in the conversation as well.

 

'Well, you know that Ron's dad and Moody had a word with Uncle Vernon last summer at Kings Cross?'

 

The four listeners nodded avidly.

 

'Well Vernon didn't take that very well and he...well, he kind of took it out on me over the summer.'

 

'What do mean 'took it out on you'? Neville asked sharply and Harry grimaced.

 

'Well, he knocked me about a bit.'

 

Hermione's hand tightened on his arm and Ron hissed beside him.

 

'That git!' Ron exclaimed. 'Why didn't you say anything?'

 

Harry looked down at his plate and put his fork down with a sigh.

 

'I was embarrassed Ron and I thought I could hide it all.'

 

'Hide what?' Hermione asked softly and in response Harry slid up his jumper sleeve to expose the green plaster and shrugged apologetically.

 

'He hurt you,' she said quietly. 'He really hurt you.'

 

Harry nodded and stared at his plate for a few moments.

 

'Anyway; Professor Snape realised what had happened over the holidays and he's sorted it out so I don't ever have to go back.'

 

Neville swallowed nervously. 'Snape! Really?'

 

Harry looked up and nodded, giving the boy a wry smile.

 

'Neville, he was brilliant. He's been giving me potions lessons and everything. He arranged this meeting with Madam Pomfrey and Professor McGonagall and I had to talk about everything that has happened which was horrible, but he sat with me the whole time and he's been really kind..' Harry stopped and drew in a deep breath, realising he was rambling.

 

'Is that why you were wearing the glamours?' a dreaming voice interrupted and the rest of them looked over at Luna who was staring at the enchanted ceiling as if she had never seen it before.

 

'What glamours?' Ron asked, looking between Harry and Luna with confusion.

 

'The glamours Harry always wears after the summer holidays to hide how thin he is and all the bruises.' Luna answered quietly, still not looking at any of them.

 

There was a moments horrified silence which Hermione broke with a shocked 'Harry!'

 

Harry winced and smiled apologetically at her.

'I didn't mean to be dishonest with you,' he said quietly. 'I'm sorry I didn't tell you.'

 

Ron laid an arm around his shoulders. 'Mate, are you OK, I mean...bruises? What did he do to you?'

 

Harry looked up and met his friends eyes for the first time. 'I'd rather not go into it now, but it was pretty bad. He broke my ribs and wrist and...well, he has this belt..'

 

Hermione drew in a sharp intake of breath and took his hand in hers whilst Neville and Luna leant in supportively.

 

Slowly and tentatively, Harry told them about his experience of the summer and everything that had happened over the Christmas break. To his enormous relief, no one yelled or shouted and Ron's arm never left his waist. He hadn't planned to have this discussion at the dinner table but somehow it had seemed the right thing to do.

 

At the staff table, three sets of eyes were watching the conversation discreetly; with varying levels of nervousness.

 

'It seems to be going well.' Remus said quietly and beside him the potions master nodded in accent.

 

'Mmm, we'll see how well Weasley copes before rolling out the banners. The boy is notoriously unreliable.'

 

Albus moved the food around his plate in a half hearted manner. His thoughts were dark these days and he watched the five youngsters with distress. No child should be having to sit at a table with his best friends having that kind of conversation. Their heads should be full of mischief and the Quidditch season, not worrying about how to support a friend through something this horrible. Giving up on his dinner, he dropped his fork and turned to his two younger colleagues.

 

'Harry will need both of you over the coming months. He has not sought me out during any of this and I don't expect him to in the near future. I'm afraid Sirius's death still hangs between us quite heavily. I do hope you will be able to put aside your differences enough to be of use to him. It shouldn't fall on the shoulders of teenage friends to help him through.'

 

'Although, these are not exactly normal teenage friends,' Severus pointed out softly.

 

Remus glanced sideways at the man in surprise. 'No Severus, you're right. Danger and adversity forge extremely strong bonds.'

 

'Like the famous 'Marauders',' Severus hissed with a snarl and Remus inclined his head in acknowledgement.

 

'Yes actually,' he answered quietly. 'They were more like brothers to me than friends but as you found to your cost, that kind of intense relationship at such a young age can also be destructive. Fortunately, that bunch,' he indicated the five Gryffindor's. '..don't have a cruel bone in their bodies and are already more mature than we were even in adulthood. I don't doubt for a minute that they can help Harry through this.'

 

The three men watched as the friends finished their puddings and then headed for the dorms, Harry's hand firmly tucked in Hermione's.

 

Severus poured some brandy into his glass and after a moments hesitation, filled Lupid's glass as well.

 

'Good luck with your first class tomorrow,' he said evenly as he stood and pushed in his chair and then left, the glass of amber liquid clutched in his hand.

 

'Thank you Severus,' Remus answered to the retreating back, exchanging a surprised glance with the headmaster.

 

'It was really Severus that suggested me?' he asked quietly and the headmaster nodded.

 

'I believe Severus has grown rather fond of Harry over this last few weeks and has been forced to re-evaluate some of his previously held positions about Harry and perhaps Potter's in general.'

 

Remus shook his head wryly. 'I don't see how the Dursleys' actions change who Harry is? He's still the same child we've always known.'

 

'Ah yes,' the headmaster answered gravely. 'But you must understand, in cases like this, perception is everything.'

 

Remus glanced back to the potions master, whose dark robes were just swirling out of view as he headed off to settle in his young snakes and nodded thoughtfully. Things had certainly changed at Hogwarts over the last few weeks and not just for Harry and Severus.

 

The Order were going through some upheavals as well. No longer were they prepared to just follow Albus blindly into battle, believing the man somehow knew all the answers. Clearly he didn't and Harry and Sirius had paid dearly for those mistakes these last few months.

 

Remus looked at the weary man beside him and realised sadly that he was in for a rough time. Remus couldn't help but think that the older man had brought most of it on himself and he could only hope that things would start to improve now for young Harry. It seemed that Severus was firmly in Harry's camp now and that made Remus smile. It was going to be a year of changes for all of them.

 

)O(

 

To be continued...
Chapter 15 by Kendra James
 

)O(

 

The next few weeks were strange for Harry. In some ways it was just another term at Hogwarts. There was Quidditch practice and homework and someone spiked the Gryffindor tables food with a potion that made all their hair turn a horrid mustard yellow. In other ways though it was very different.

 

There were extra Defence lessons in the evenings as each year struggled to catch up with a terms works. Last term there had been no Defence teacher and the lessons had been covered by different professors but at a much slower pace than they should have been. There was also the fact that Malfoy and his goons were gone. The effect of this on the school had been profound. Mixed classes were much less tense and the rest of the Slytherin's were too busy fighting in-house to cause anyone else much trouble.

 

For Harry there was also the fact that he felt well; really well, for the first time in years. He had to visit the hospital twice a week to be checked over and finally got the cast off his wrist ten days after the start of term. He was taking a nutrient potion every morning and had managed to put on four pounds over the last few weeks. It wasn't a lot but on his skinny frame, it had made all the difference.

 

All in all, things were going well. Ron and Hermione had been great and had not asked too many questions although Ron was still acting a little weird and stiff. Harry had caught the pair having a furious row in the common room which had swiftly stopped when he entered and he suspected it had been about him.

 

A few terms ago he might have been tempted to eavesdrop but now he was just grateful to Hermione for whatever it was she was doing to keep Ron on an even keel. The only slightly awkward thing was that he hadn't spoken to Ginny yet. He knew that Hermione had spoken to the youngest Weasley the first night of term to tell her what had been going on but Harry had been strangely embarrassed to seek her out.

 

He wasn't sure why he was worried about Ginny knowing the details of his awful summer, but he was. He couldn't bear to think of Ron's little sister looking at him with pity. Fortunately, Ginny was in a new relationship with Dean Thomas and the two of them were rarely anywhere to be seen. That had left Harry feeling simultaneously relieved and upset for no particular reason. It had given Ron something to rant about though and Harry had been able to deflect any awkward questions directed his way with a casual enquiry about Dean.

 

All in all, Harry felt as though an enormous weight had been lifted off his shoulders. It was still scary not knowing what was going to happen next summer or how things were going to be different in school.

 

Because of the catch up going on in Defence Studies there had been no potions classes for the first two weeks of school and Professor Snape had been noticeably absent at mealtimes. Harry had only seen him twice since the start of term and then from a distance. He was a bit worried about classes starting again and how things would be between them. Even Remus had been too busy to really talk to him although the man's very presence in the school had calmed Harry enormously.

 

There had been a whole front page story about 'The Werewolf of Hogwarts,' in The Daily Prophet the first week of term and Harry had been worried that Remus might lose his job again. In the end, surprisingly little seemed to have happened. There was an upsurge in mail from worried parents and one or two howlers which the headmaster had banished before they could even open, but otherwise things seemed fine.

 

Remus made a point of giving Harry a smile and a wave every day and Harry knew it was his way of reminding Harry he was here for him, despite how busy and exhausted the man looked.

 

Harry and most of the school were delighted to have the very capable teacher back.

 

Meanwhile, Harry had avoided the headmaster like the plague; he didn't think he had even made eye contact with the man, although he had often felt the older wizard's eyes on him in the great hall. It was just too frightening to even go near the mountain of rage he felt whenever the man was near him. He knew he would have to deal with it at some point but for once Harry thought he needed to take things slowly.

 

)O(

 

It was with some relief that Harry found a note on his bedside table the second Sunday of term from Professor Snape. The man's continued absence had been worrying him.

 

Harry,

 

Could you please come to my office at 7pm this evening for tea. There is nothing to worry about, I only wish to see how you are coping with the new term.

 

Sincerely,

 

Professor Snape

 

Harry let out a breath he hadn't even realised he was holding. Snape still wanted to be 'friends' then. He plopped down on his bed with a sigh, his hand snaking around his pillow to hold it tightly. Pretending everything was normal day after day had been starting to take it's toll, despite how much better everything was.

 

After a quick shower and change, he wandered down to the great hall for dinner, sitting himself beside Neville at the table. Neville had been brilliant about everything. Ever since events in the Ministry the year before, Neville had radiated a quiet calm that had taken many by surprise. Harry had been too absorbed in his own grief the previous term to really notice the difference, but now he had the change was startling.

 

'How's your day been, Neville?'

 

Neville shrugged and started loading his plate.

'Not bad; I've got a tonne of homework though. I wonder if there is such a thing as a study elf?'

 

Harry snorted. 'I could do with one of those too. I'm almost caught up but these extra Defence essays are killing me.'

 

'Yeah, poor Professor Lupin looks ready to fall over.'

 

Harry glanced up at the head table and frowned when he realised the older man had actually fallen asleep at the table; his chin resting in one hand and his dinner left uneaten before him.

 

'It's only three days until the full moon. He's probably trying to mark everything before then so we don't get behind again. I hope he's OK.'

 

Neville looked back to his friend with a thoughtful expression on his face.

'How are you doing Harry? Has the first few weeks been OK?

 

Harry loaded his plate with roast veg whilst he thought how to answer. There were still empty seats on all sides and this was probably the first time he and Neville had

had privacy to really talk. Harry wanted to be honest with his friends, even if it was hard.

 

'All right,' he said tentatively. 'Things are really good but it's still all a bit scary. I don't know where I'm going to be living this summer and I'm still a bit worried about how safe it's going to be for anyone who takes over my guardianship. It really hurts to know I could have been living with Sirius if...well, you know.'

 

Neville nodded seriously. 'Has Ron been all right with you?'

 

Harry smiled at Neville's perceptiveness.'He's been...well, Ron. He's just acting as if everything is normal and has been extra cheerful. I think he's doing his best.'

 

Harry took a mouthful of food and chewed slowly, enjoying the fact he could eat a full portion now without feeling sick.

 

'How are you Neville? Did you get into trouble with your Gran over the Ministry? I forgot to ask.'

 

Neville grinned.

'Not at all,' he said, visibly straightening in his seat. 'She was really proud. She cried all over me and said how brave I had been and when she heard I had duelled Bellatrix, she bought me a new wand as a reward.'

 

Harry couldn't help the huge smile that spread across his face. Neville's Gran had always seemed a harsh woman who didn't fully appreciate her grandson. He was glad to hear things had changed.

 

'Did you get in trouble?' Neville asked and then blushed furiously as he realised what he had said. 'I mean, not with the muggles but...'

 

'It's OK Neville, I know what you mean. I think there were a lot of people who were disappointed in me for leading you all into danger like that but I didn't really get shouted at. It has been a bit difficult with the headmaster since but that's more me than him, I think.'

 

'Are you better now?' Neville asked quietly and Harry nodded.

 

'Madam Pomfrey has fixed me all up. She says I have to put 18 pounds on to be a healthy weight but I'm getting there and Professor Snape gave me this potion that helps. I'm still taking one of those every morning.'

 

Neville smiled at that and shook his head. 'It's strange how it was him that helped you after the rest of us all missed what was happening to you. I'm sorry I wasn't a better friend Harry.'

 

Harry blushed furiously, his stomach clenching in guilt. 'It's not your fault Neville. You've been a really good friend. I wasn't very honest with people and it's not like I spent a lot of time helping you out. I know things haven't been easy for you with your Gran.'

 

Neville shrugged. 'It's better now. I had a really good summer and Christmas break with her and she has even started taking me out to balls with her. I think she was always embarrassed to before.'

 

'Well, I think we will both have to work harder at being good friends this year. '

 

'Yeah, maybe we could try and study together more,' Neville suggested tentatively and Harry nodded, his eyes glancing over to the Hufflepuff table.

 

'Actually, I've been thinking that we could try and do some more stuff with the other houses. It seems really stupid that we only mix with people in our own common rooms.'

 

'Like the DA?' Neville said, his eyes lighting up and Harry winced.

 

'I'm not sure about that. It's because of the DA that you all got hurt last year. I don't know if I want that kind of responsibility again, but maybe we could still use the room of requirements and have an all house study session. I bet Hermione would help organise things.'

 

Neville frowned, chewing his lip thoughtfully. 'How about Sunday evenings? There aren't any Quidditch practices then and we might even be able to get sandwiches and stuff for those who come.'

 

Harry glanced back up at the top table. 'Do you think I should get permission this time? I mean it would be good if we could get some Slytherin's to come too but I'm a bit nervous about that.'

 

'We could ask one of the Professors to sit in the first few times to make sure it doesn't turn into a battle ground,' Neville suggested and I agree we should try and get some snakes there. With Malfoy gone, I think they might be more open to the idea.'

 

Harry grinned. 'Especially if the head boy is on board. The Slytherins's wouldn't miss a chance to get a bit closer to him.'

 

Neville glanced over. 'Eric? Do you think he would help. I don't know him very well.'

 

'We could ask after dinner. He's really nice and we talked a bit over the break about trying to get the houses to do more together.'

 

Neville nodded and sat back as all the plates and platters disappeared and were replaced by desserts and ice- cream.

 

'Harry,' he said quietly. 'There's more to this than just making friends isn't there? This is about the war and working together to overthrow Vol...Voldemort?'

 

Harry nodded. 'The hat keeps telling us we need to be united. I think it's time we started doing something about that instead of just waiting for it to happen.'

 

Neville glanced over to where Eric was sat and smiled. 'Harry, is there any rule that says we have to sit at our own house table?'

 

'I don't know,' Harry answered honestly. 'I've never heard of one.'

 

'Well, why wait until after dinner then. Half the upper years are still at Hosmeade so there are loads of empty spaces. Why not have dessert with Hufflepuff and ask Eric over chocolate?'

 

Harry grinned and the two boys stood and walked over to the other house table, ignoring the questioning looks of the Hufflepuffs as they seated themselves opposite the head boy.

 

'Hey Eric, do you mind if we join you? We wanted your thoughts on an idea we've been knocking around.'

 

After a moments hesitation, Eric smiled and welcomed the two lions, listening with interest as they explained and filled their plates with treacle tarts.

 

At the head table, Albus had been watching his exhausted defence teacher with concerned eyes when a slight ripple in the castle's magic distracted him. He closed his eyes and mentally checked the wards and protections around the grounds before focusing in on the new vibrations.

 

'Headmaster?' Albus opened his eyes and glanced sideways at his deputy and potions master who were looking at him warily. 'Is something wrong?

 

Albus smiled at them both. 'No, all is well. I felt a ripple in the castle that I can't identify but the wards are fine.'

 

There!

 

Albus closed his eyes as he felt the tingle flow through him a little stronger than before. With a flash of fire, Fawkes appeared and settled on his shoulder, a trill note of contentment escaping the familiar as he looked out over the hall.

 

'You felt it too my friend?' Fawkes trilled again, a long note of happiness that made everyone at the top table smile.

 

The Arithmancy lecturer pulled a notebook from the pocket of her robes and started scribbling furiously, her expression intense in concentration.

 

'My dear, what are you picking up?' Albus asked quietly. By now the entire staff table was listening in to the conversation as Professor Vector drew a tangle of strange lines and symbols on her pad.

 

Luna wandered in after her visit to Hosmeade, her eyes searching the hall for Neville and finding him at the wrong table. She waited for her friend who was changing her muddy shoes to catch up before deciding where to sit. A few minutes later a flushed blond haired girl ran into the room.

 

'Thanks Luna, you didn't need to wait for me. Shall we catch up again after pudding?'

 

Luna watched Neville and Harry thoughtfully. 'Why don't we have pudding together with Neville and Harry? They are sat with the Hufflepuffs.'

 

The blond girl snorted. 'You can if you want. You're Ravenclaw, they wont mind. I'm a snake. They'll probably hex me if I tried.'

 

Luna smiled gently. 'I don't think that's true but I can understand if you don't want to. I wonder what Harry's writing on that parchment? They all seem very interested in it.'

 

The two girls walked over, curiosity overriding the young Slytherin's nerves. The head boy saw the two girls hovering and exchanged a grin with Harry before standing and making some room on the bench. 'Luna, and...Leoni is it? Why don't you join us. We are talking about a project you might be interested in.'

 

At the head table Septima Vector paused and with a violent jerk, ripped off the top page from her notebook and threw it over her shoulder, where it fell to the floor. She quickly started all over again with a fresh page, her quill movements furious.

 

Albus sat with his eyes closed, his expression curious. It had been many years since he had felt just distinct vibrations running through the castles walls. She was happy, almost rejoicing. It was making him feel quite giddy.

 

'Albus, what on earth is going on,' his deputy asked crossly and Albus chuckled.

 

'I don't have a clue my dear, except that to tell you that the castle is extremely happy just now. Something has awoken in her.'

 

Fawkes trilled quietly in agreement.

 

'It's unity,' Septima stated suddenly, looking up briefly from her parchment.

 

Severus stood and moved to look over her shoulder at the intricate Sigil being created before their very eyes.

 

'Unity?'

 

She locked eyes with the headmaster. 'The whole direction of the war just changed, a massive shift, it's...it's overwhelming. I shall have to start my calculations from scratch.'

 

'Can you tell what's happening Septima? Severus asked quietly.

 

'It's exactly what that blasted hat has been nagging about for the last three years. The houses united.'

 

'My goodness,' Minerva exclaimed. 'If that could truly be achieved..well..'

 

'It would be a miracle.' Severus stated wryly, earning a slap from Septima before she returned to her drawing.

 

They all glanced up briefly as Hagrid lumbered into view. 'Sorry I'm late headmaster. A few of the third years got lost in 't village. 'ad to go searchin for 'em. Is there any puddin' left?

 

Minerva huffed impatiently as he dropped his bag with a clung that shook the whole table. Hagrid glanced up at the tables and smiled happily.

 

'Now ther's a sight yer don't see ev'ry day. All four houses at one table!'

 

Every head at the staff table snapped up to look out at the students, quickly finding the small gaggle of sixth and seventh years at the Hufflepuff table. The plates were long gone and the table was now covered with pieces of parchment as Harry and Neville wrote down all the ideas and suggestions being given.

 

Albus exchanged a significant look with his Arithmancy Professor and they both grinned happily.

 

'Well done boys,' he said quietly to himself. 'Well done indeed.'

 

)O(

 

 

To be continued...
Chapter 16 by Kendra James
Author's Notes:
I think the alert may not have gone out for previous chapter so make sure you have read Chapter 15 before this one! Enjoy
 

)O(

 

Harry ran down the dungeon corridor, his robe flying behind him. It was five past seven and he was already late for his appointment with Snape. Even though this was an invitation to tea and not a detention, Harry couldn't shake the normal feeling of nervousness.

 

He skidded to a halt outside the door to Snape's quarters and took a deep breath, straightening his robes and attempting to flatten down his hair. His quiet knock was immediately answered as the fierce looking man opened the door and stepped aside for him to enter.

 

'I'm sorry I'm late Professor.' Harry said breathlessly.

 

Snape waved a hand at two armchairs sat before the fire and snapped his fingers to call his house elf.

 

'That's quite all right Potter. There was no need to give yourself a heart attack to get here. It's an invitation to tea, not an inquisition.'

 

Harry collapsed into one of the armchairs as a small elf appeared and accepted Snape's order for a pot of tea and shortbread. The older man sat gracefully into the opposite chair and waved his wand to increase the flames in the fire.

 

'I must apologize for the temperature down here. I have not been in my quarters all day and I forgot to ask my elf to start the fire earlier for me. It should warm up in a few minutes.'

 

Harry nodded numbly. It really was rather cold but he was still wearing several layers in an effort to hide his weight and was rather grateful for the cool air.

 

A tray appeared with a small pop and Snape delicately poured the drinks, taking his time to give the teenager the opportunity to get his breath back. He took a few sips from his own drink before starting the conversation.

 

'How have you found the first few weeks of term?'

 

Harry groaned. 'Busy; there is so much extra Defence work. I don't know how Professor Lupin is finding time to mark it all!'

 

Severus frowned and looked down at his cup. 'Yes, he certainly has his work cut out for him. It's always difficult when you have to cram several terms classes together. Are your classmates managing to keep up with the essays.'

 

'I think so but there is not a lot of class time to do the practical stuff. That's a bit frustrating; for Professor Lupin too I think.'

'Mmm,' Severus considered the young man before him. 'It would seem a good time to reform your defence group then. I believe you focused on the practical side of your studies?'

 

Harry grimaced. 'We only did that because the toad...I mean Professor Umbridge wasn't teaching us any practical things at all. I wouldn't want Lupin to think that we feel the same about him. I mean he's brilliant! His classes are always really good.'

 

Severus bit back about a hundred werewolf related comments and forced himself to take a large gulp of tea before replying.

'I'm sure he would grateful of the help. Perhaps you should discuss it with him?'

 

'Actually sir, I wondered if I ask your help with something similar?'

 

Severus put down his cup and gave his least threatening look, a least he hoped it was. 'Go on.'

 

'Well sir. We were thinking of starting a study group on Sunday evenings that would be open to all the houses. That is Neville and I, and Eric Baxter. We thought we could let people make requests for things they would like to revise and we could ask the relevant teacher to come, or maybe a student from a higher year who could help.'

 

Severus felt his interest rise. So that was what the kids had been plotting at dinner that had got the castle herself all worked up.

 

'That sounds an interesting idea Harry. How is it I can help?'

 

'Well,' Harry paused. 'We would really like a teacher to sponsor it and maybe be there for the first few sessions, in case there are any problems. It would be really good if all four houses were represented but we were a bit nervous about house rivalry. I was wondering if you would be our sponsor sir?'

 

Severus was rarely surprised but he found himself speechless. The students in this school made a point of spending as little time as possible in his presence and he had certainly never been voluntarily asked to attend extra curricular activities before.

 

Harry watched nervously as his Professor considered his response. It was rather cheeky to ask the man to give up his Sunday evenings. Maybe he was trying to find a polite way to refuse.

 

'I think it is an excellent idea and would be happy to sponsor the group but if you are going to go through official channels this time then the headmaster will have to approve it. I suggest you and your co conspirators write up a proposal and bring it to me and I will sign it. You will then have to take it to the headmaster and make a formal presentation. I'm sure he will be more than happy to approve.'

 

Harry felt his stomach drop at the thought of being forced to see Dumbledore but quickly thought of a way out of it. He could write the proposal, have Snape sign it and then get Neville or Eric to take it to the headmaster; perfect!

 

Severus watched the emotions chasing across the boys face a little guiltily. It was sneaky pushing Potter to go to Albus like that and it really wasn't necessary for the proposal to be delivered in person but if it helped the boy get past this problem then it could be helpful. He resisted the urge to smirk at his clever manoeuvring, unaware he had already been outsmarted by the young man sat before him.

 

Harry smiled. 'Thank you sir, I will let the others know and we can write something up over the next week.'

 

'How are you otherwise Harry. I believe you have spoken to your friends about your situation. Have they been supportive?'

 

Harry bit his lip worriedly. 'Yeah, they've been pretty good. I think Hermione's mad at me about the glamours but she hasn't said anything. Neville had been great, I have talked to him about it more than the others.'

 

'I'm glad that you haven't been trying to manage this all alone.' Severus paused and gave the boy a keen look, trying to access how much he could cope with tonight.

 

'I do have some further news on the issue of guardianship if you feel up to talking about that now?'

 

Harry put his cup back down and sat on his hands before nodding nervously.

 

'It appears,' Severus started cautiously. 'That your Aunt and Uncle have become...unwell.'

 

Harry frowned in confusion. 'Unwell?'

 

'Yes, apparently they are both displaying symptoms of what muggles like to call 'a nervous breakdown'.'

 

Harry eyes widened in astonishment. His aunt had always been rather highly strung but he couldn't imagine his uncle ever being unwell like that. Unbidden the memory of Vernon sealing up the letterbox and dragging them halfway across the country jumped to mind and Harry rapidly reassessed that thought.

 

'Do you know what happened sir?'

 

'The muggle authorities had to intervene this week when your uncle was successful in burning the house down.'

 

'Your joking!' Harry burst out. Privet Drive was gone? That horrid, awful hell hole was no more?

Severus couldn't help the small smile that escaped as he explained.

'Apparently your uncle was convinced that the house was cursed and decided to destroy it. He has been taken into hospital and your aunt and cousin are staying with other relatives. The Ministry have revoked their guardianship of you as the Dursleys' are clearly not well enough to care for you at the moment. The advantage of this is that we do not have to file your medical report just now.'

 

Harry sat stunned, his head swimming with this new information. It had really happened, the Dursleys' were no longer his guardians.

 

'What happens now sir?'

 

'As you have no other relatives, your guardianship reverts to the school and your head of house. Professor McGonagall will have temporary responsibility for you until the end of term by which point a permanent solution will hopefully have been found. The headmaster asked me to talk to you about this and see how you felt about things? I know Minerva would be more than happy to retain the guardianship until you come of age next summer but that does not supply you with much of a family support.'

 

Harry stared into the fire, feeling strangely lost. McGonagall was his guardian; that was just weird. Did he have to ask her permission for things now? Would he still have control over his Gringotts vault? There was so much he didn't understand about magical law.

 

'Harry?' The professors quiet query interrupted his musings. 'Are you all right?'

 

'I think so. It's just I feel like a bit of baggage that's just been passed along.'

 

Severus sighed. 'This must be a very difficult situation to be in. It's not unusual for a head of house to fulfil this responsibility for a time. I myself have done it in the past.'

 

Harry looked up curiously. 'You've been a guardian for one of the students?'

 

Severus smiled wryly. He knew he didn't exactly look the part. 'Several times. It's normally only for a few weeks whilst family members are traced or the Wizarding Family Services appoint someone else. The benefit is that it means a child's schooling is not interrupted whilst all the legal things are sorted out.'

 

'What do you think will happen to me?'

 

Harry's question sounded so forlorn that Severus felt his heart clench.

'I know that the headmaster is looking into suitable candidates to take this on. Most likely someone who is either in The Order or in a position to help protect you if necessary.' He paused and took a sip of his tea. 'You should know that Molly and Arthur Weasley have already petitioned Albus to have you added to their brood.'

 

Harry bit his lip. 'They can't do that! It's not safe. I would be putting all their kids in danger.'

 

Severus sighed heavily. 'On one level, the headmaster and I agree with you. The Burrow is not the most secure of places and already too much of a target. However,' he continued seriously. 'You should also consider the fact that they care about you a great deal and know what they would be taking on. Five of their children are already of age and quite capable of defending themselves so there are two sides to the security argument. It might be worth thinking about.'

 

Harry frowned heavily. 'So will this be my decision then? Will I have to decide?' Harry didn't want to hurt anyone feelings and it seemed as though any decision would mean risk to others.

 

Severus leant forward and placed a hand on the boys arm. 'Harry, we have until the end of term to sort this out and there will likely be other options once the headmaster has spoken to a few people. I suggest you talk to Professor McGonagall and see what she has to say. It may be that a more formal arrangement with her might suit you better and once you turn seventeen you will have no legal need of a guardian. I believe Albus wants to be able to give you a few options and will likely tell you which path he recommends.'

 

Harry leant back in his chair and let out a deep sigh. All of this was proving much harder than he expected it to be.

 

'I can't believe my uncles gone bonkers. Why on earth would he think the house was cursed?'

 

Severus smiled faintly. 'I imagine Peeves dropping in unannounced would unsettle most people.'

 

Harry's eyes flew to meet his. 'Peeves! In Little Whinging?!'

 

'A poltergeist has to take his holiday somewhere,' Severus replied deadpan and Harry stared at him incredulously.

 

'You...you sent Peeves to the Dursleys'?'

 

Severus inclined his head slightly. '...and Professor Flitwick may have charmed their windows to look as if the neighbours were spying on them, and I believe Minerva was responsible for the hundreds of cats that have been peeing all over their garden and footpath.'

 

Harry gave a nervous laugh. 'You're not joking? You all really...'

 

Severus smiled gently. 'You didn't really think we were going to let them hurt you that badly and just get away with it did you?'

 

Harry had a sudden image of Professor McGonagall leading a small army of cats up Privet Drive and felt laughter bubbling up inside him. He snorted and before he knew it was doubled up in laughter; Laughter that quickly turned into sobs.

 

Seeing an imminent breakdown, Severus transfigured Harry's chair into a small couch and sat beside the boy, allowing his hand to rest gently on Harry's back.

Harry sobbed into his hands for a good ten minutes, allowing the relief to finally settle over him.

 

The Dursleys' were no longer a part of his life. Even the bloody house was gone and the blood wards along with it. He was amazed that his Professors had done that for him, had actually sent Peeves. His uncle must have had a fit.

 

When he had calmed he sent an apologetic smile at his Professor and accepted the hanky he offered; blowing his nose loudly.

 

'I think I needed that,' he whispered. 'It's been hard trying to carry on as normal.'

 

'You don't have to pretend Harry. It's perfectly all right to be upset. It is not unusual to take some time off from classes in these sorts of circumstances so if you feel you need to do that just let Professor McGonagall know.'

 

Harry sniffed and looked down at his shaky hands. 'Thanks sir. I might do that.'

 

They sat quietly for a while and Harry even managed to drink some of the tea once his limbs had stopped trembling. The fire crackled softly in the background and it crossed his mind how normal it felt to be sat here in Snape's lounge. It was all rather surreal.

 

'Are you ready for your first potions class tomorrow,' the Professor asked quietly and Harry grimaced.

 

'As ready as I'll ever be. I can't believe we have four whole hours of potions.'

 

'You will have extra potions and charms all this week. It's how we are getting around the full moon problem. Next week when your wolf friend is well again, it will be back to double defence.'

 

Harry sighed and put down his cup. 'I suppose I'd better be going. Ron's going to be wondering where I am.'

 

Severus walked the boy to the door, his hand resting on his shoulder.

'Do make sure you talk to McGonagall won't you? She knew we would be having this chat tonight so will be eager to make sure you are coping with everything.'

 

'Sir,' Harry asked uncertainly. 'Couldn't you be my guardian? I mean not just for the term but, well after too?'

 

Severus froze, completely floored by the boys request and Harry cringed in embarrassment.

 

Stupid Harry, stupid. Of course he doesn't want to be your guardian, why would he?

 

'I'm sorry sir, ' he blustered. 'I shouldn't have...'

 

'No Harry, it's fine,' Severus quickly reassured, finding his voice shaking. 'I'm honoured that you would consider me but...,'

 

He doesn't want me,

 

'...the role I play for The Order. It wouldn't be safe; not for either of us.'

 

'Of course sir, I'm sorry. I wasn't thinking. I should go.'

 

Harry practically fled from the room, running all the way back to the tower and cursing his big mouth the whole way. He had probably embarrassed Snape and made himself look like some needy ten year old.

 

Severus watched the boy hurry away from his rooms and numbly closed the door. Harry had asked him of all people; Had trusted him with his safety after everything that lay between them in the past.

 

He sat numbly, completely shell shocked. He knew his hesitation had hurt the boy but there was no way he could make this work.

 

The moment the dark lord discovered he was guardian to Harry Potter, he would be ordered to deliver the boy to his death. Refusal would mean..., Severus winced.

 

There was no way it could work.

 

He sat staring at the fire for an age, his heart racing, until with a moment of startling clarity he stood abruptly and grabbed for his floo powder.

 

'Albus Dumbledore!' he called throwing the green powder into the flames.

 

)O(

 

To be continued...
Chapter 17 by Kendra James
 

)O(

 

Harry paced his room in the Gryffindor tower, his stomach clenched in knots. He had ruined everything! He should have known better. It was stupid to ask for things, it just led to disappointment and embarrassment for everyone. Professor McGonagall would make a fine guardian, he should have been grateful and just carried on fending for himself. He had never needed anyone before so why should now be different?

 

He forced himself to relax and sit on his bed with a book, once he heard his dorm mates noisily stomping up the stairs. Ron burst through the door with Dean, laughing at something Dean had said and Harry gave them a neutral smile. Neville followed a little sedately behind and gave Harry a sharp look.

 

'How'd it go with Professor Snape?' he asked quietly, sitting on the edge of Harry's bed and Harry shrugged, keeping his eyes on his book.

 

'Fine, he was just checking in with me.'

 

Neville sat quietly for a moment and then touched Harry's knee lightly.

 

'You know where I am Harry, if you need to talk.'

 

Harry nodded and kept his eyes on the page as Neville moved away, before swiftly rising from the bed and bolting for the common room. He didn't think he could face Ron just now.

 

Fortunately, the common room was quiet with a few people using the desks to finish the last of their homework and one third year couple sat cuddling on one of the window seats. Harry sank into one of the sofas near the fire and stared broodily into the flames.

 

He didn't know how he was supposed to feel just now. Even thinking about his aunt and uncle was painful. He was glad never to be going back there but it still hurt to think that they hadn't fought for him at all. He had just been discarded as if he was of no importance. His aunt hadn't even contacted him to let him know what had happened.

 

He felt hemmed in. Professor McGonagall wanted to talk to him and so did the headmaster but he really didn't want to talk to either of them. McGonagall had been so nice in the hospital wing but he hadn't really forgiven her for sending him away last year when he had tried to ask for help.

 

Now he could add Professor Snape to the list of teachers to avoid. Harry sighed. Avoidance, that the key word really. He was avoiding his friends, his teachers and anyone who wanted to help. Just like last term. Only this time it was a different kind of injury he was hiding.

 

Maybe that's was why tonight had been so difficult. He realised that he didn't want a guardian in name only. He didn't want to have to manage alone anymore. He wanted a real family; the kind the Dursleys' should have been all along. Someone who gave a damn; who would check his homework and nag him about grades.

 

Someone who would make sure he had clothes that fit and look after him when he was ill, the way Snape had done. Harry bit his lip at that thought. How pathetic was he? The first person who had shown him any care, he had latched onto like a stray dog.

 

Harry thought about the Weasleys' and the offer they had made. If he was being honest, part of his reservation was Ron's potential reaction. Ron already had five brothers to compete with, he really didn't need 'the-boy-who-lived' added to that mix. It also seemed that Ginny had finally got over her crush on him and although he was slightly jealous of Dean, he also knew that it would never have worked with her. Living with her at The Burrow over the summer would risk complicating things again.

 

The sofa shifted slightly and Harry glanced around to see Hermione settling down beside him.

 

'Are you OK?' she asked quietly and he opened his mouth to give his normal fine response, and instead found himself unable to answer. He shook his head and bit his lip, feeling tears sting the back of his eyes.

 

Hermione laid her hand on his, looking equally upset.

'Can I do anything?'

 

He shook his head again before answering shakily. 'The Dursleys' aren't my guardians any more. Professor McGonagall is until they find someone permanent.'

 

'I'm glad you never have to go back there.' She said softly, handing him a tissue and Harry gave a weak smile.

 

'Me too. It's still hard though, knowing that...' Harry's voice broke. 'Knowing that no one wants me.' Harry gave into the sobs, allowing Hermione to pull him into a hug.

 

He was aware that she was crying too but found himself unable to say a word, instead just sobbing until he felt his chest would burst with misery. At some point he became aware of other people around him but he was past caring now. He had cried in front of Snape, embarrassed himself and now lost it in the middle of the common room. None of it really seemed to matter any more.

 

It was Professor McGonagall's voice that finally pulled him out of the storm; her no nonsense tones emptying the common room.

 

'Go on now. Off to your dorms, this isn't a side show.'

 

He heard the sound of running feet on the stairwells and slowly pulled himself out of Hermione's arms, realising that it was Neville who had been rubbing his back and that Ron was sat cross legged on the floor in front of him, one hand resting on his leg.

 

Other than that, the common room was empty; Professor McGonagall's voice still echoing from the girls stairwell where she was shepherding some wayward first years to their room.

 

'Sorry 'Mione,' he whispered and she rubbed his arm gently.

 

'It's OK Harry; honestly. I wish I could do something.' Her eyes were red and she too had a balled up tissue in her hand.

 

'You have,' he said with a shaky smile. 'Thanks.'

 

Professor McGonagall came back into the room, her normally stern face softened in the fire light.

 

'Why don't you three run along to bed now. I will send Mr Potter up shortly.'

 

Neville and Ron sent him an apologetic look before lumbering off to the stairs.

'We'll wait up for you mate,' Ron called as he disappeared from view.

 

Hermione left much more reluctantly giving his hand a final squeeze and leaving a clean tissue on the table for him. He tried to give a reassuring smile as she left but it came out as more of a grimace.

 

McGonagall sat beside him on the sofa and gave him a sympathetic look that almost had him descending into tears again.

'I know that Severus was going to talk to you this evening. Did he explain what has happened?'

 

Harry swallowed and nodded. 'Yes, ma'am. You're going to be my guardian until something else is sorted out.' His voice sounded flat even to himself.

 

She squeezed his hand gently. 'I know this must be a very difficult time for you Harry but I want you to know you can come to me with anything.'

 

Harry watched the flames jumping in the grate and wondered if it was even possible to put into words how he was feeling. It all seemed so jumbled up.

 

'You seem to be rather distressed this evening. I know your friends are very worried about you. Is it just the situation with your family or has something else happened?'

 

Harry laughed coldly. 'I don't have a family Professor, I never really did. It's just me. Everyone who cared about me is dead and I have nothing left to aim for other than kill Voldemort because apparently I'm the only one that can.'

 

Beside him the Professor gave a little gasp and Harry snorted. Typical! She didn't even know that.

 

'I see the headmaster hasn't even told you about the prophecy. If you are going to be my guardian you should probably know what you are getting involved in. I suggest you ask him.'

 

She pursed her lips in the way she did when she was angry or upset and Harry never could tell which one it was.

 

'I don't know about this prophecy and I will talk to the headmaster about that tomorrow,' she said with an edge of annoyance in her voice. '...but I strongly dispute your statement that there is no-one who cares about you. That is far from the truth.'

 

Harry looked down and took a shaky breath, wiping away the tears that were still escaping from his now rather red eyes.

 

'I know ma'am. I shouldn't be feeling sorry for myself like this. It's just been a really hard day.'

 

Her expression softened and she touched his cheek gently.

'Harry, it will get better. I promise you that. Do you need something to help you sleep?'

 

'No, I don't think so. I'm pretty tired. I'm sorry if I disturbed your evening.'

 

'Oh Harry,' she gathered him into a quick hug. 'You didn't disturb anything. I had promised Severus I would come and check on you anyway. He was rather worried about you.'

 

Harry glanced up. 'He was?'

 

She smiled and nodded gently. 'I had a meeting with the headmaster this evening and Severus flooed in to tell us he had spoken with you. He was concerned that you might have been a bit upset when you left his quarters. Did it not go well?'

 

Harry sighed. 'No, it was fine. I just said something stupid at the end, that's all.'

 

The Professor squeezed his shoulders and stood, smoothing down her robes.

'Well I'm sure whatever it was that Professor Snape understands. You had better go and reassure your friends that you are all right and I will see you in the morning. Make sure you go to breakfast now, as your new guardian I have to take an interest in these things.'

 

Harry smiled faintly at the thought of McGonagall suddenly counting his bacon rashes in the morning and allowed her to help him up off the sofa.

 

'Yes ma'am.'

 

He padded over to the stairs and then remembering something from earlier quickly turned again to catch his head of house before she left the room.

 

'Professor!' She turned and looked at him over her spectacles.

 

'Thanks for what you did with the Dursleys'. I mean with all the cats.'

 

Her expression softened and a small smile graced her lips before she answered.

 

'I don't know what you are talking about Mr Potter. You must be mistaken.'

 

Harry smiled. 'Of course not Professor, my mistake.'

 

He turned and walked slowly up the stairs, feeling a little lighter for having a good cry. Two lots in fact, in one night.

 

'I'm turning into a girl,' he muttered to himself as he went to find his friends.

 

Harry was tucked in bed within minutes of entering his dorm room after accepting hugs from both Ron and Neville who both hovered until he was changed into his pyjamas and safely pinned by his bed covers. Even Dean was fussing, placing a glass of water and some tissues on his bedside table with a nervous smile.

 

Harry closed his eyes and quickly drifted away, completely exhausted.

 

Somehow, making that request of Snape had ripped him open and all of the hurt and anger from the previous summer washed over him in an overwhelming wave. Sleep seemed to be the only escape so he took it gratefully.

 

)O(

 

When Ron shook him awake the following morning, Harry found the exhaustion had settled over him like a heavy blanket. He could barely open his eyes.

 

'I'm not going to breakfast,' he muttered; turning over and burying his head back into the pillows.

 

He heard Ron and Neville whispering in undertones and then it was blissfully quiet again and he let the heaviness carry him away. He would get up in time for potions, he thought sleepily.

 

A hand resting on his forehead woke him a short time later and he blinked sleepily at his head of house as she sat on the side of his bed.

 

''Lo Professor, am I late for class.'

 

'It's all right Harry,' she said quietly. 'Are you feeling ill?'

 

He yawned heavily. 'No, just sleepy.'

 

She smoothed the hair away from his forehead gently and he heard her quiet sigh.

'You go back to sleep Harry, I will let your Professors know that you won't be in class today.'

 

Harry closed his eyes and let himself accept her gentle touch. It really did feel impossible to wake up, as though even thinking about going to class would break him somehow.

 

He slept through the visit from Madam Pomfrey and his room mates checking on him at lunchtime. He slept through Professor McGonagalls visit after class and only woke when Neville and Ron insisted he sit up and eat the sandwiches they had brought him. He stumbled to the bathroom afterwards and then immediately crawled back under the covers, ignoring the worried looks of his friends. He couldn't face any of them just now; it was all too much.

 

)O(

 

Severus glanced at the note that the Weasley boy handed him that morning with a frown. Minerva had excused Harry from all of his classes today. He felt his gut clench in anxiety and forced his face back into a neutral expression. Had he upset the child that much? Was his refusal the tipping point for the boy or was Harry ill?

 

The potions master was particularly fierce that day and the lost house points bore testimony to his impatience. He ignored the slightly guilty sensation in his stomach as the class left, their shoulders slumped. It was Albus he was really angry at. Why couldn't the man be more helpful? There was surely a way around this whole mess?

 

Poppy and Minerva's hushed conversation in the corner of the staff room didn't help his mood any and he was just about march over and demand an explanation when the headmaster lightly touched his elbow and guided him to the other side of the room.

 

He looked at the older man's grave expression and launched in, not waiting for the usual nonsense about tea and lemon drops.

 

'What's going on with Potter?' he asked harshly and the headmaster sighed, seating himself in one of the armchairs.

 

'Harry had what can only be described as a breakdown last evening in his common room. He is currently sleeping and Poppy has recommended we leave him be for a bit.'

Severus frowned heavily. 'If we allow the boy to slip into a depression, he may have a very long journey back. Are you sure this is the right course of action?'

 

'Poppy believes so. I have no intention of allowing Harry to wallow Severus, but he is clearly overwrought just now and an outburst of this sort is probably long overdue.'

 

There was a heavy pause before Severus answered, his voice cold and edged in steel. 'About fifteen years overdue.'

 

Albus flinched and looked away and Severus felt a slight tug of shame on his conscience. The headmaster deserved to feel pain for what he had done but not to have his nose rubbed in it.

 

'There must be a way,' he whispered sharply and Albus shook his head in defeat; his shoulders slumping.

 

'I cannot foresee any circumstance where the Ministry would approve it Severus; not even with my blessing. Especially after my last misstep with the child.'

 

Severus's eyes narrowed and he asked coldly. 'And of course this has nothing to do with the loss of information if you found yourself without a pet spy?!'

 

Albus shook his head sadly. 'Severus, I would release you from that role in a heartbeat if I thought we had the slightest chance of getting a guardianship approved. The ministry are already giving me problems and seeking to have Harry placed with a pureblood family of their choice. If I make a misstep now I could end up being forced to hand the child over to into an unsafe situation.'

 

'He asked me,' Severus hissed. 'For the first time in his life he has asked for something he wants. What does it say to him if we ignore that; if I ignore that?'

 

Both men became aware of Remus, who was hovering in the background, staring into his mug of tea with a thoughtful expression. Once again Severus was struck by how awfully thin the man looked. Severus bit back the urge to snarl at the man for eavesdropping. Lupin had arrived at the headmasters office the night before and had heard much of his and the headmasters row.

 

'Do you have something useful to add Wolf or are you just enjoying the show?' he whispered fiercely

 

Remus regarded the two men calmly for a moment and then returned to staring in his mug before answering.

 

'I was thinking this over last night,' he said quietly. 'And it occurred to me that there are more than one form of guardianship. Neither of us would be considered suitable parents for Harry; you because of your history and myself because of my condition.'

 

Severus huffed with impatience but was forestalled from making a scathing comment by the headmasters hand on his arm.

 

'Go on Remus,' he encouraged.

 

'Well, it occurred to me that despite these issues we are both entrusted with the safety of the children in this school because our expertise overrides what might otherwise exclude us from such positions of responsibility.'

 

'I don't understand what you are getting at?' Severus barked but with less venom than before. Surely the wolf wasn't trying to help him get guardianship of Harry? That was not a direction in which he would expect to find support.

 

'Harry is not old enough to be considered of age and legally an adult, but he is old enough to be able to leave school and start a career or training separate from a parental influence.'

 

The headmaster shook his head. 'That is true Remus but even in cases like that, he would still be apprenticed to someone and therefore would need a Master who would be willing...' Albus trailed off and gave Remus a bright smile. 'Well done Remus. I would not have thought of that.'

 

Severus stared at his two colleagues, his thoughts reeling. 'A potions apprenticeship? Would that work?'

 

'Why wouldn't it?' Remus said earnestly. 'I know that Harry is no potions genius but you said yourself that finding he can attune is a remarkable development. Surely that alone would justify taking him on?'

 

'Could the ministry object?' He asked the headmaster; hope slowly uncurling in his belly.

 

'They would find it hard to. They have been pressuring me for years to reinstate the apprenticeship programme and if they say you are an unsuitable Master then they have to go all the way and say you are an unsuitable Professor and as you are the foremost Potions Master in Europe right now, that would just look petty.'

 

Severus grimaced. 'Harry really doesn't like potions that much,' he admitted quietly and the headmaster chuckled.

 

'Then maybe we could dilute that a little?'

 

Albus looked pointedly at Remus who shuffled uncomfortably. 'I'm assuming there was a further element to your proposal,' he said softly and Remus nodded.

 

'I was thinking of a joint apprenticeship. Defence and Potions, meaning he would be bound to both of us with you having the senior role. The apprenticeship could be focused most heavily on Defence but with you holding the reigns because of my...condition.'

 

Severus turned and walked over towards the fire, finding himself pacing as he considered the ramifications. Behind him, he could hear Remus and the headmaster explaining the proposal to Poppy and Minerva.

 

An hand on his arm brought him back to the present and he found himself eye to eye with an excited Minerva.

 

'Severus, it's perfect!' she exclaimed. 'No one could object to Harry learning more Defence and this way he gets to stay close to you and Remus. The ministry would look like complete idiots if they objected to the-boy-who-lived learning how to fight the darks arts. Do you think Harry would accept you having authority over him like this?' she asked quietly.

 

Dark eyes met hers and he answered so softly that no-one else could hear.

'He asked me last night if I could be his guardian and I said I didn't think it was possible.'

 

Minerva closed her eyes for a second and squeezed his arm tightly.

'That's what made him so upset. I wondered what had happened. He had been handling things so well.'

 

Severus turned back to his other colleagues, noting that Poppy was smiling at him with suspiciously bright eyes. He scowled darkly which made the headmaster chuckle.

 

'You would release me from my...other duties?' he asked his employer seriously and Albus nodded.

 

'Of course Severus although I am concerned about the consequences for you?'

 

Severus didn't miss the quick glance that Albus had made at his left arm and he knew that a longer conversation would have to be had about what would happen once Voldemort realised he had lost his potions master to the light.

 

'We would have to get Potters agreement to this of course,' Severus said, switching swiftly back into professional mode. The binding is usually for a minimum of three years so would last until he was nineteen. He may not like the thought of being tied to Lupin and I for that long.'

 

Severus glanced at the wolf. He was surprised that the man was supporting this at all and not attempting to keep Potter's son all for himself. To enter into a binding alliance like this, not just with Harry but also with him was a surprising move.

 

As if sensing his thoughts, the shabby professor quietly spoke into the silent room.

 

'As you said Severus, Harry has asked for this. He feels safe with you and I would do anything to keep him feeling that way. I don't ever want to miss a cry for help from him again.'

 

Severus regarded the man thoughtfully and then gave him a sharp nod.

'Shall we go speak to Harry then?'

 

They left the room together leaving three smiling and tearful colleagues behind.

 

)O(

To be continued...
End Notes:
This story was originally only meant to be about the term immediatley following the christmas holiday but I have decided to continue it for the whole of the school year. Please do review.
Chapter 18 by Kendra James
 

)O(

 

Harry sat on the floor of the shower room with his head buried in his arms and let the hot water cascade over him. He couldn't believe how exhausted he felt. He had slept all day and now couldn't wait to get back into bed. It was close to seven in the evening and he wondered how long he would have to stay up before his room mates let him sleep again.

 

He didn't want everyone to worry and he knew his behaviour was scaring his friends. Part of him just couldn't face everyone after breaking down so spectacularly in the common room the previous evening. Another part of him was so genuinely tired that he wanted to just lie on the shower room floor and close his eyes.

 

His head jerked up as he heard the room door squeak open and Dean walked in.

 

'Sorry to bother you mate but Professor Lupin is here.'

 

Harry scrambled to his feet and hurriedly reached for a bath towel, automatically wrapping it around his waist to cover his modesty.

 

'That's OK Dean, I will be out in a minute.'

 

Harry reached over to the chair where he had draped his pyjamas and robe.

 

'No rush mate, I think...,' Deans voice faltered and then there was a shocked. 'Harry!'

 

Harry whipped around and froze as he saw Dean stood shell shocked behind him and Remus statue like in the doorway.

 

'What..?'

 

Shit! My back!

 

In his scramble for clothes, Harry had forgotten to hide his back from Dean who was now eyeing him with a shocked and somewhat tearful expression.

 

'Did...did you-know-who do that?' his room mate whispered fearfully.

 

Remus cleared his throat and regaining his composure turned to the other boy.

'Thank you for your help Mr Thomas. I can take it from here.'

 

Dean nodded and left the room hurriedly, throwing one last worried glance in Harry's direction. Remus and Harry stood regarding each other for a moment and Harry was grateful for the man's calmness and the lack of immediate questions.

 

Remus however, couldn't have spoken if he had wanted to. It was one thing to hear from Albus and Poppy about the injuries Harry had received; it was quite another to see it for himself. Remus hadn't thought it was possible to be that thin and still survive and considering his own frail condition that was saying something.

 

He cleared his throat again and gave Harry a gentle smile.

'You pop your pyjamas on Harry and then come and join me downstairs. Professor Snape and I would like to talk to you about something and thought my office would be the best place for it.'

 

Harry paused, still standing in the middle of the bathroom with his clothes in his hand.

 

'Am I in trouble for skipping classes?' he asked quietly and Remus shook his head with a sad smile.

 

'No Harry, you're not in any trouble and I'm sorry for barging in like this. It wasn't my intention to disturb your privacy but you had been in here so long that I was starting to get worried.'

 

Harry blushed. 'I won't be a minute sir.'

 

Remus smiled again and moved to leave. 'Don't forget to put some socks and slippers on Harry. The castle is cold in the evenings.'

 

Harry hurriedly dressed, putting on his dressing gown and his thickest winter socks before going down to join Remus in the common room. There was a sudden hush as he entered the room which quickly turned into overly cheerful chatter as all his house mates made a point of not staring. Not for the first time, Harry found himself very grateful he had been sorted into Gryffindor.

 

He followed Professor Lupin out of the portrait hole and up a flight of stairs to the defence classroom and the small office that overlooked it, trying very hard to contain his nerves. He really, really didn't want to see Professor Snape; not after making such an idiot of himself the night before.

 

The small office was lit by just a few candles and the roaring fire in the herth. A table was set with sandwiches, biscuits and a jug of mulled apple juice and Harry automatically headed for the fireside. He deliberately avoided looking at the man sat in the chair beside Remus's desk, hoping he wasn't being too rude.

 

Remus hung his cloak on the back of the door and pushed it closed to keep the warmth in.

 

'Take the seat nearest the fire Harry and we will have something warm to drink whilst we talk.'

 

Harry sat in the low armchair and glanced quickly at Snape who was watching him with an inscrutable look on his face. He almost looked sad, Harry thought fleetingly before taking an unusual level of interest in the rug beneath his own feet.

 

'How are you feeling Harry?' Snape asked quietly. 'You look rather pale this evening.'

 

Harry shrugged. 'I'm just tired sir. I slept all day.'

 

'Yes well, that's perfectly understandable,' Remus murmured as he came to sit beside Harry and complete the triangle between the three of them. 'you have had to deal with a great deal this last few weeks. These things do tend to catch up with us eventually.'

 

Harry looked at Remus's drawn face, the shadows much more pronounced in the soft light. 'Are you all right sir? I mean with...tomorrow.'

 

The next day was the full moon and it's approach was clearly taking it's toll on the older man.

 

'I'm always a little tired in the lead up to the transformation but it's nothing to worry about and anyway Harry, as skilful as that deflection was; I believe Severus was enquiring about your health?'

 

Harry blushed and looked down again. 'I'm all right,' he mumbled.

 

There was a moments quiet as the two Professors watched the young man before them trying valiantly to disappear into his dressing gown and then Severus broke the tension by leaning forward to pour three goblets of hot apple juice.

 

'This is a special blend of Professor Sprouts,' he explained. She makes a few bottles for all the staff at the start of every term. I believe it has all the ingredients of a calming draught, except it is not magically blended; something like a muggle herbal tea with added spices. I believe she thinks it will stop us bludgeoning any of the students whilst we all settle back into the stresses of teaching again.'

 

Harry smiled at that and glanced up at the potions master who had a light smirk on his face.

 

'Well you haven't killed any of us yet sir,' he said softly and Remus chuckled.

 

'Thank you Severus,' Remus cradled his own goblet between his hands and blew on it to take off a bit of the heat as Harry reached tentatively for his.

Severus waited for the boy to take a few sips of his and lean back a little in his chair before he started the explanations.

 

'I know you are very tired Harry so we won't keep you too long but Professor Lupin and I believe we may have found a solution to your guardianship that will please all of us.' He paused and noted the instant tension in Harry's shoulders, pleased to see that the boy was able to hold his gaze after his initial nervousness.

 

Harry looked questioningly between the two of them and tried not too bite his lip.

He didn't want to talk about this with the two people he couldn't have. That just seemed cruel. Anticipating the awkward conversation that was likely to follow, Harry jumped in first.

 

'I'm sorry about last night sir. It was really stupid of me to suggest what I did. It was selfish of me and I know you wouldn't want...I mean I know your other duties are too important and I should never...'

 

'Harry!,' Severus held up a hand to halt him and this time Harry did bite his lip, feeling an instant taste of blood flood his mouth. He took a nervous gulp of his apple juice and looked away.

 

'Harry, as things stand, my past with the dark lord would likely mean that any application of this nature would not be looked on favourable by the ministry.'

 

'I understand sir, I'm sorry.' Harry said quietly, brushing impatiently at his cheeks that were inexplicable wet.

 

He was bloody crying! Again!

 

Harry almost growled in anger at his own lack of control and Severus huffed with impatience.

 

'You foolish child; if you just stop apologizing long enough to let me finish then you hear that we think we have found a way around that.'

 

Harry's head snapped up to look at his clearly annoyed Professor. What did that mean? A way around what?

 

Remus laid his hand on Harry's arm and picked up the conversation.

 

'You may be aware that many students start an apprenticeship once they leave Hogwarts and go on to do Mastery level qualifications in their chosen fields.'

 

Harry nodded.

 

'What you might not be so aware of is that is previous times, it was not unusual for students to take on an apprenticeship whilst still in school. This has not been done at Hogwarts for more than sixty years, mainly because it is a system that can be open to abuse.'

 

Harry frowned, his face puzzled and Severus explained further.

 

'The apprentice is magically bound to his Master for a minimum of three years and cannot be released until the Master says he is proficient in his chosen field or seven years has passed; whichever comes first. Some Masters have used the system to basically gain themselves a free servant for seven years. The tradition was halted at Hogwarts because it tended to be students from poorer families that took up apprenticeships as a way of paying their school fees. They often had no families to advocate a fair deal for them.'

 

Harry snorted. 'That sounds like me. Knowing my luck if they brought this back I would end up bound to Filch.'

 

Remus laughed and squeezed Harry's arm and even Snape gave a small hiss of air that might have been a laugh.

 

'Well Harry,' Remus continued gently. 'It is an apprenticeship that we are suggesting for you.'

 

Harry's eyes widened in alarm. 'With who?'

 

There was a pause and then Remus answered. 'With us; I mean with both of us. A joint apprenticeship in Defence Against the Dark Arts and Potions. It would be a Mastery course that would continue for two years after your NEWTS, so for three years in total.'

 

Harry sat shell shocked in his seat, his drink forgotten.

'Are you serious? You could do that, I mean how? What about your sp...I mean your other duties,' he aimed at Snape, and your illness?' At Remus. 'What about the Ministry? Would they let..,' he trailed off as Remus squeezed his arm and Snape snorted in amusement.

 

The potions master watched Harry, seeing the gauntlet of emotions that crossed the boys face; Hope and fear equally mixed.

 

'In answer to some of those many questions Potter; the ministry have been seeking to pressure the headmaster into reinstating apprenticeships at Hogwarts for years, so whilst they may try and interfere, it is unlikely they could actually stop it if this is the way you wanted to go. As Professor Lupin and I would have joint responsibility for you then his condition would not pose a problem. Your Mastery would be in Defense with the potions component actually quite minimum. We would focus on those potions skills that complement Defense; in particular your ability to attune which has lots of other applications.'

 

He paused and took a sip of his drink, wondering if Harry realized he had bitten through his lip. Severus resisted the urge to pull the boy into his arms and try and soothe the worry away. He really wasn't ready to make himself that vulnerable in front of the wolf yet. He waited until he thought everything he had said so far had sunken in and then continued, his voice dropping to a soft murmur.

 

'And as for my other duties, they would stop.'

 

Harry's shocked gaze flew to his. 'But sir! That's important...I can't expect you...'

 

'Harry!' Severus caught the boys chin in his long fingers and held his gaze.

 

'You are a sixteen year old young man who needs some support and guidance in his life right now. You are just as important as any other demand on my time and...well; to put it simply, you made a request of me last night and I found myself wanting to grant it.'

 

He let go of Harry's chin and Harry let his head drop onto his chest and closed his eyes. His throat closed off with emotion and he felt his shoulders starting to shake. Remus moved quietly to his side and let his arm rest across Harry's shoulders; his warmth seeping through the dressing gown, offering more comfort than any words.

 

'Severus would be your primary guardian Harry,' he said softly. 'He would take the parental role and make any decisions regarding your wider education and welfare whilst I would have the primary teaching role. Of course you would have to stop us killing one another which will be probably be your hardest responsibility.'

 

Harry chocked on a laugh and accepted the hanky that Remus pressed into his hand; wiping his face furiously. He glanced at Remus with a small smile.

 

'Sirius would be apoplectic at the thought of Professor Snape as my 'parent''

 

'Wouldn't he just,' said the potions professor with a definite smirk on his face and Harry laughed outright then.

 

'Should I be worried about your ulterior motives Sir?' He said shyly and the man's smirk increased.

 

'I'm a Slytherin Potter! You should always be concerned about ulterior motives.' His smile faded and he added seriously. 'This is a big commitment on your part Harry. You wouldn't be able to enter the Auror programme or any other commitment until the apprenticeship contract releases you and I am not an easy man to live with. No one would blame you if you wanted to just wait out the next seven months until you are seventeen and then strike out on your own.'

 

'Won't the ministry try and get control of me again?' Harry asked nervously worrying his lip again. Severus winced as a small trail of blood ran down the boys chin and he absently wiped at it with the hanky.

 

Remus rubbed his back gently. 'They probably would but Professor Dumbledore would do everything he could to keep them at bay. The main danger would be the first few months of the summer holidays but as Lucius Malfoy is no longer in the picture then things are not as hazardous as they were a year ago.'

 

Harry nodded and leant back into the man's embrace, turning a tear stained face to Snape.

'I would like to do this Sir. I mean if, if you are really sure?'

 

Severus nodded gravely. 'I'm completely sure Harry, as is Professor Lupin. Neither of us would have offered if we hadn't considered this carefully. Our commitment to you extends beyond the walls of this school. Even if my staff position here changed or the Dark Arts curse strikes again,' he threw a wry smile at Remus. '...then the apprenticeship still stands.'

 

Harry sniffed tearfully,completely overwhelmed and the Professors next words tipped him over the edge.

 

'You should realize Harry, that we are choosing an apprenticeship because there is no way either of us could legally adopt you. If there was, I know I speak for both of us when I say we would probably be fighting over you right now. You have been alone for far too long.'

 

Harry buried his face in his hands and sobbed whilst Remus murmured words of comfort in his ear, his own face wet with tears.

 

Remus locked gaze with his colleague and gave a grateful nod which Severus returned, albeit rather curtly. They sat in silence for a while whilst Harry composed himself and allowed Remus to quietly heal his lip.

 

The two Professors explained some of the other practicalities and Harry nodded numbly, not taking any of it in. Remus pressed a few sandwiches into his hands which he ate without noticing and it was only as he finished the second goblet of hot apple that he realised they were keeping him talking to make sure he ate.

 

He gave the empty plate in front of him a wry smile and Snape, realizing that they had been rumbled called a halt to the evening.

 

'I think we have probably filled that Gryffindor head of yours with enough information for one evening. Why don't I walk you back down to your common room whilst Professor Lupin lets the headmaster know you approve our little plot.'

 

They walked silently back to the portrait hole, Harry's head spinning with everything that was about to happen. He paused in front of the fat lady and glanced worriedly at his professor.

 

'Won't it hurt sir,' he asked quietly, giving Snape's covered left arm a significant look.

 

Severus almost wept at the thought that the boy was worrying about his dark mark, a mark he had voluntarily taken and a pain he more than deserved. He worked hard to keep his voice level and detached as he answered.

 

'I have taken steps to ensure that any discomfort is minimal when he calls. This day was always inevitable Harry and I am glad that it is for such a positive reason that I am leaving that part of my life behind. I had not expected such an end.'

 

Harry winced at the nonchalant tone and the words his Professor spoke. The man had expected to die, he realised; To be exposed as a spy and killed. The last remaining doubts fled away and Harry gave the man a warm smile.

 

'I'm glad Sir; truly glad that you don't have to do that any more.'

 

Severus nodded. 'You should know before you go to sleep that Professor McGonagall has arranged for you to go the Weasley's home tomorrow. I believe you are to remain there for the rest of the week to rest and recover. We should not have pushed you into full classes so soon and yet hiding in bed will not help you either. I shall expect you at breakfast in the morning.'

 

'Yes Sir.' Harry flushed as he remembered a similar promise to his head of house the night before. He certainly hadn't made it to breakfast this morning.

 

He mumbled the password and the portrait swung open.

 

'Good night Sir,' he said before clamouring through and Severus waited until the door had swung firmly closed before answered so softly, the fat lady thought she might have misheard.

 

'Good night child; sleep well.'

 

)O(

 

To be continued...
Chapter 19 by Kendra James
 

)O(

 

Harry did make it to breakfast the following morning, with a great deal of encouragement from Ron and Neville. He still found it hard to get out of bed and he could hardly believe that last nights conversation with Remus and Professor Snape had even happened.

 

Was he really going to be an apprentice? His mind swam with a million questions as he sat sleepily at the table and pushed his eggs around the plate. His house had been very discreet with him and no one was staring or commenting on his absence from class yesterday or the impressive snot machine he had become in the common room the night before.

 

Harry glanced up at the head table where his head of house and Professor Snape were conversing about something, noting that Remus wasn't at the table. He would probably be gone for the rest of the week now; either running under the moon or recovering from the after effects.

 

He looked down again quickly as he felt the headmasters gaze turning his way. Must the man keep staring at him? It was starting to get annoying.

 

There was a tap on his arm and a small first year handed him a piece of parchment which he opened discreetly.

 

Dear Mr Potter,

 

Please come to my office for ten 'o'clock this morning. You will travelling to the Burrow by floo from there. A house elf has already packed your things and a homework list for you.

 

It would be best if you did not discuss your trip or future arrangements with anyone just yet although you may of course consult with Miss Granger and Mr Weasley if you so wish.

 

Professor McGonagall

 

P.S. Please do finish your eggs Mr Potter, they are doing you no good sat on your plate.

 

Harry flushed bright red and glanced up at the stern witch who was looking over her glasses at him pointedly. He gave her a small nod and forked a pile of the scrambled eggs into his mouth. He was sure he saw a smile cross Snape's face for a moment, before the two professors continued their discussion.

 

)O(

 

Harry managed to evade his friends after breakfast and made his way to the astronomy tower, where he sat watching the snow fall until it was time to go to his head of house's office. He tried not to think about all the lessons he was going to miss and to quell his nervousness at seeing Mr and Mrs Weasley again.

 

He couldn't help remembering what Remus had said about Mr Weasley being angry at his uncle and how the rest of the order had forced several whiskeys on him to calm him down. He hoped things wouldn't be too awkward. He didn't think he could cope with it if Molly got all tearful on him.

 

There was one awkward moment when he arrived at the burrow and it looked as though Molly was going to do just that, but the moment passed; partly because Professor McGonagall had immediately insisted on taking Harry up to his room and helping him unpack. She had then explained all of his homework in great detail before leaving him to 'have a word' with Molly.

 

Harry lay down on what he had once been Percy's bed and let his eyes drift shut. Before he knew it, the light had faded to a dull orange glow and a quiet knock was waking him.

 

Harry blinked around the sunset lit room, before reaching for his glasses and smiling as the face of Arthur Weasley swam into view.

 

'Good evening Harry. Molly is just finishing off dinner if you would like to come down and join us?'

 

Harry pushed himself up and looked out of the window in confusion.

'Did I sleep all day again?'

 

'It's just gone four 'o'clock so I think you've probably slept about five hours. Long enough to be hungry anyway. You still have about half an hour before dinner so if you want to jump in the shower and get out of those school robes then there is time.'

 

He smiled gently and left Harry too it. Harry sat on the side of the bed and blinked sleepily for a few minutes. He felt rather disorientated; he hadn't expected to be whisked away from Hogwarts just a few weeks into the new term and the burrow felt strange too. It was so quiet.

 

He was used to the Weasley's home resounding with explosions and pounding feet on the stairs. Instead it was deathly silent and the deep snow outside meant that even the normal sounds of the surrounding woodland were muffled.

 

Harry emerged into the kitchen twenty minutes later, feeling more alert. His hair was still damp from the hurried shower and he looked rather ruffled in a creased T- shirt, a pair of his new jeans and a sweater that he was shrugging himself into.

 

He sat a the table beside Mr Wealsey, who was reading the evening edition of The Daily Prophet and the man glanced sideways at him before pulling his wand and absently muttering a charm. Harry felt a quick blast of warm air hit him and his hair was immediately bone dry.

 

Arthur grimaced then. 'Oh dear, sorry Harry.'

 

Harry ran an exploratory hand through his hair and laughed. It was all stuck up like a hedgehog and didn't seem likely to be laying flat any time soon.

 

'It's all right Mr Weasley; it's always like that. No one believes that I actually brush my hair and that it's normal mess is tidy for me.'

 

Molly smiled softly at him.

'James was just the same,' she murmured. 'He once got fined a days wages in the Auror department for 'looking like a wet mop,''

 

Harry smiled. 'Did you know my dad well, Mrs Weasley?'

 

Molly shook her head sadly.

 

'No, I only met him a few times but I knew Lily rather well. We used to meet in Diagon Alley once a month for coffee before things got too dangerous; Alice Longbottom too. You and Ron shared a crib once you know?'

 

Harry's eyes widened. 'You're kidding!'

 

Arthur chuckled. 'I remember that. We went to a garden party at the Longbottoms' and you and Ron must have been about four or five months old. I don't think you had met before. Your dad had already put you down in Neville's crib for a nap when Ron started getting testy. We put him down next to you and the pair of you both dropped right off to sleep cuddling each other. We had hoped to have you both grow up side by side, but then the Longbottoms' and your parents went into hiding and I don't think we ever saw them again.'

 

Harry looked down at his hands and thought for a moment how different things could have been for him and his family. Molly turned back to the stove with a soft sigh whilst Arthur tried to get a good look at the boy without being caught staring.

 

He had had to stifle his gasp when Harry had appeared at the bottom of the stairs in his new jeans. Arthur was sure he could get his hands around the boys waist if he tried. He didn't think he had ever seen a child that skinny.

 

They ate in silence that evening, but it was a comfortable silence. Arthur used his paper as an excuse not too have to pay too much attention to the boy sat beside him. He wanted Harry to feel relaxed and not as if he was on display but he also didn't trust himself not to cry if he focused too much on Harry's slight frame.

 

What those Muggles' had done was unforgivable. He didn't care if their house was gone and Dursley was in a mental hospital. It wasn't enough; the man should have to pay. Arthur took a deep breath and forced himself to stay calm.

 

Harry needed mature adults around him now; not vengeance craved teenagers. However, speaking of vengeance...

 

He smiled happily at the story on page six and pushed it across the table so Harry and Molly could see. There in moving splendour was Delores Umbridge being led away by two rather fierce looking Dementors.

 

'Seven years!' Harry exclaimed. 'She really got seven years.'

 

Molly sniffed in a disgruntled way. 'For fifty odd counts of an unforgivable curse they should have sent her down for life!'

 

Harry shuffled in his seat, his fingers automatically scratching the back of his left hand. He knew the count would have been a lot higher if the court had known about all his little interactions with the toad.

 

Harry was overwhelmed with a wave of gratitude to Snape. He knew it was his potions master who had started proceedings against Umbridge and somehow the man had managed to keep Harry completely out of it.

 

They all read the article and Molly folder the paper with a smile, handing it back to her husband. They had been beyond furious when they realised that four of their children had experienced a detention with that woman and been extremely relieved that none of them had been exposed enough to the blood quill to have a scar.

 

'Good riddance to her,' Molly stated firmly and Harry nodded with enthusiasm, rubbing his hand.

 

Arthur absently followed the movement and froze as he glimpsed a trace of very visible white lines on the boys hand.

 

'Excuse me,' he whispered; abruptly standing and fleeing the room, his face set in stone.

 

Harry glanced at Mrs Weasley with a worried frown and she smiled.

'He's often like this is the evenings. Probably had a flash of inspiration of the next muggle item to enchant.'

 

Harry snorted in amusement and returned to his unfinished pudding, missing the worried look that Molly threw towards the study door. She had seen a flash of fury on her husbands face and had to resist the urge to chase after him and see what was wrong.

 

The table had been cleared and Harry was curled up in a chair near the fire when Mr Weasley returned and joined them.

'Did Molly tell you that Professor McGonagall is stopping by for a bit this evening?' He asked the young man and Harry shook his head.

 

'No sir, is she coming to see you?'

 

Arthur smiled softly. 'I rather think she wanted to catch up with her new ward and ensure that he was settled here.'

 

Harry blushed and looked down. He wouldn't be her ward for much longer. He wondered if Ron's parents knew about the new arrangements or if it was being kept secret form the order as well?

 

'How long will I be staying here Mr Weasley?' Harry asked quietly, worried that he was inconveniencing the couple.

 

Arthur patted the boys knee and smiled as his wife came to join them, a tray of steaming mugs balanced in one of her hands.

 

'You can stay as long as you need to Harry. Until Sunday at least. I think Professor McGonagall and Madam Pomfrey were keen for you get some proper rest away from the curious eyes of your school friends. You have had a difficult few weeks.'

 

Harry grimaced. He felt a bit of an idiot going to pieces when when nothing had really happened. He had been through much worse over the years; it just seemed so weird that things seemed to have overwhelmed him now.

 

'I'm just tired,' Harry mumbled, his cheeks hot as the two elder Weasleys' regarded him fondly.

 

'I'm not surprised Harry. There is only so much the body can take before it starts shutting down on you. You just enjoy the break and try not to worry about anything for a while. You can rest as much as you need to.'

 

He nodded at Arthur's words and picked up one of the mugs of tea; mainly to have something to do with his hands. It felt so strange to be surrounded by adults focused on him. He wondered how different it would have been if he had told someone about the Dursleys' in his first year.

 

Would they have listened? Would he have ended up living here with Ron' parents or some other wizarding family? He sighed heavily, wishing for the first time that he had confided in someone back then.

 

The Gryffindor head arrived at eight and settled in an armchair beside Harry, happily accepting a hot drink from Molly and putting her feet up on a stool. She looked extremely comfortable here and Harry realised that it was likely his head of house was a regular visitor to The Burrow.

 

'How did you get on with your homework today dear?' she asked quietly and Harry blushed and looked away.

 

'Erm, I fell asleep. I will do twice as much tomorrow.' he reassured her quickly and she frowned.

 

'Just do as much as you can Harry. One of the teachers will be stopping by each evening to check in on you but I don't want you to push yourself too hard. You have been doing very well so far this term and several of the professors have said that you seem to be a bit ahead on the reading?'

 

Harry nodded. 'I worked really hard over the holidays.'

 

'Well then; there is no need to worry about a few days of missed school is there?'

 

Harry smiled gratefully and sank back into the soft chair. It was nice to be sat staring at a fire in a quiet room, rather than dealing with the rather busy common room.

 

'Severus will be coming to have a talk with you tomorrow afternoon,' she said quietly when Molly and Arthur disappeared into the kitchen for a moment. 'So you should think about any questions that you have for him about the new arrangement.'

 

Harry smiled shyly. 'Do you approve ma'am,' he asked, wondering if she was upset with him for ditching him new guardian so quickly.

 

Minerva leant over and squeezed his knee gently. 'I heartily approve Harry. I think Severus and Remus will be wonderful guardians for you and the fact that we are arranging it this way makes it much more secure for you. It'[s high time you were challenged a little more in the subjects that you are gifted in. I know Severus is very pleased that we have found a way to make this work. He was very touched that you asked him Harry.'

 

Harry looked away from her piercing gaze and smiled, his heart strangely warmed by her comments.

 

'Do Mr and Mrs Weasley know?'

 

'Not yet but Severus will explain things to them tomorrow. You know that they have applied for guardianship themselves?'

 

Harry nodded and glanced uncomfortably to the kitchen where the elder Weasleys' were putting dishes away. He hoped they wouldn't be too hurt when they found out what was happpening.

 

'The headmaster had already refused to approve their request so they know that it's not going to happen,' she added in an almost whisper and Harry nodded his understanding.

'Because of the security problems?'

 

The elder witch nodded sadly. 'It's horrible that we have to even think about these things but the truth is, the more people that have to be keyed into a properties wards, the less secure it is. I would be almost impossible to keep the wards here strong enough for more than a few weeks at a time. The headmaster and Professor Snape were here last night strengthening them and that will likely last ten days.'

 

Harry found a million questions running through his mind and decided that a study session on wards definitely needed to be added to his list.

 

Molly and Arthur returned and they all chatted together for a while, discussing Umbridge's fall from grace and the ever growing crisis at the ministry as her actions were exposed. Harry was content to lie back and listen, fascinated with the way the political system seemed to be unravelling. He almost felt sorry for the new minister; almost!

 

Harry went to bed as soon as the Professor left and curled into his duvet, feeling a lot more relaxed than he had that morning. He thought that tomorrow, he might even be able to get up at a sensible time without Ron yelling in his ear.

 

)O(

 

Severus sat staring into the fire waiting for Minerva to return. She had promised to stop by once she had returned and let him know how Harry was doing. As part of the apprenticeship plan, the three professors had agreed to meet once a week and update on how the plan was working. Severus glanced at the charmed window in his quarters, frowning at the full moon hanging in the sky.

 

For the first time he was actually nervous for the wolf, rather than nervous of him. He wanted to believe it was because he knew Harry would be upset if anything happened to Lupin but her knew that wasn't the whole truth.

 

He had actually started to feel something close to respect for his bedraggled colleague. The man had been invaluable to the order this year and had never once retaliated at Snape for all his snarky comments and complaints; not even after losing Black.

 

He glanced up at the quiet knock and smiled as Minerva came in and deposited her cloak over the back of a chair before helping herself to Severus's whiskey and settling herself on the sofa.

 

'He slept all day,' she stated quietly to his silent question and Severus rubbed his nose with a sigh.

 

'Do you think we should get a mind healer involved?'

 

Minerva considered the question for a moment and then shook her head.

'It's not unusual for this kind of reaction after a loss. It could be that it hasn't been safe for him to grieve properly for Sirius before now.'

 

Severus glanced back to the fire. 'I'm worried about depression. If the chemicals in his body shift too sharply it could impact on his magic.'

 

Minerva smiled softly at her colleague. He had come so far so quickly she thought..

 

'Give him the week Severus. If he is no better when he returns to Hogwarts then we can look at what the next steps should be. He looked a little calmer this evening; I think the break will do him all the good. Did you see The Prophet?' she asked, changing the subject and he smirked, the worried expression falling from his face.

 

'Yes, that nasty old toad won't be causing any trouble for a while. Did you know she turned up to her hearing in pyjamas?'

 

Minerva snorted. 'You're joking?'

 

Severus's smile grew rather feral. 'Albus told me at dinner. She turned up muttering about centaurs and spent the whole hearing rocking in her chair. The lawyers thought she was trying to full a past one and claim insanity.'

 

Minerva's expression became rather stern as she peered over her glasses at her younger colleague.

 

'You do realise that we need Peeves back at some point don't you?'

 

Severus raised an eyebrow at her. 'Is it my fault that he has taken a liking to Petunia Dursley?'

 

'Define liking Severus?' she asked sternly, her eyes sparkling.

 

'He has been climbing into bed with her apparently.'

 

The two colleagues stared at each other a moment and then collapsed into gales of laughter; Minerva wiping helplessly at her eyes.

 

'Peeves and Petunia; what a darling couple!'

 

Minerva wondered how long it would be before Petunia was sharing the same ward as her husband?

 

)O(

 

 

 

To be continued...
Chapter 20 by Kendra James
 

Chapter 20

 

)O(

 

Severus found it extremely hard to concentrate as he stalked around his sixth year class. The empty seat where Harry should have been left a knot in his stomach that made no earthly sense.

 

Despite knowing exactly where the boy was, he felt as if Harry was missing and therefore in danger. He found himself worrying about the wards at The Burrow and convincing himself that he and Albus had cast them wrongly.

 

He imagined death eaters sweeping down on the Weasleys' as he uselessly sat at his office desk. He worried if the boy had eaten breakfast; he worried if he was still sleeping. What if the sleeping was a symptom of something else? What if the chest infection came back?

 

By the time lunch time came, Severus has worked himself up into a a frenzy. He threw himself down into his normal chair at the staff table with a bad tempered scowl. Albus glanced at his potions master in concern.

 

'Are you all right Severus?'

 

'Sending him to The Burrow was a mistake,' the younger man stated bluntly and the headmaster smiled gently.

 

'Having you been worrying all day?'

 

Severus scowled and grabbed a bread roll. 'I am not worrying! I am simply analysing the situation from a better distance. We have sent a depressed boy away from his friends and school and left him in a property with poor defences. It was a mistake.'

 

Albus lay a comforting hand on his professors arm. Causing Severus to glare at him.

'Harry needs rest and quiet Severus. You will be seeing him this evening. Please try not to worry.'

 

Severus huffed and focused on the soup that had appeared in front on him, trying to ignore the anxious knot in his stomach. Albus was right; in a few hours he could see for himself that everything was as it should be. If he still had concerns then he always bring Harry home with him that evening.

Home, he thought with a slight shock. He was already thinking in terms of bringing the boy home. As he the child was his..

 

He took a deep gulp of his pumpkin juice. Thinks were changing so fast.

 

Albus touched the man's shoulder lightly as he stood to leave, allowing a little of his magic to flow into his colleague and calm him.

 

'Don't forget we have a head of house meeting this afternoon.'

 

Severus nodded, not meeting the headmasters piercing gaze or acknowledging the flood of warmth that was working its way through his body. It always annoyed him when the man used magic on him like that; as if he was an infant in need of a pacifier. He knew Albus never took action like that against any of the other staff.

 

He sighed heavily and stalked back to his office, feeling a little better, if still on edge.

 

)O(

 

Albus looked over his spectacles at his head of houses and gave them his best glare. He could still be a scary figure when he wanted to be.

 

'I want this to stop now. Is that understood?'

 

Minerva snorted heavily. 'Albus, I think they have got very lightly considering. That whole family should be in Azkaban. A few pranks is hardly retribution for what Harry has suffered all these years.'

 

Albus's look darkened. 'The man is in a mental hospital, heavily sedated. He has lost his family, his home and his business. Petunia is currently living in poverty; estranged from her son and being pursued by an infatuated poltergeist. You have had your revenge. I want this to stop.'

 

Severus smirked. 'Peeves is acting on his own initiative now headmaster. I believe he has fallen in love.'

 

There was a chorus of sniggers in the office which quickly faded away at the headmasters angry glare.

 

'...and how far would you allow this to go Severus? Sexual assault? Rape? Murder?'

 

Severus sighed and rubbed his nose. 'To my understanding, all Peeves has done is chase her around with flowers and try and get in bed for a cuddle a few times.'

 

'I helped him with a poem yesterday?' Flickwick added.

 

'I have been helping him write songs,' Minerva said quietly, looking swiftly away as the headmasters gaze fell on her.

 

Albus sighed heavily. He knew his staff were mainly harmless, but he could easily see this escalating out of control.

 

'No-one wants to see Harry get some justice more than I do, but what form that takes should be his decision, not ours. You must understand that you are not the only people who are angry. If the rest of the order were to hear of this campaign; things would escalate very quickly.'

 

Professor Flitwick poured himself a black tea and climbed onto the seat beside the headmaster.

 

'I heard that they did not take things well. I didn't realise that Harry was so close to the order members.'

 

Albus shook his head; his expression grave.

 

'Poppy and I talked to them the same day we informed the staff here. We went thought the medical scans in more detail though as Harry's general health has wider security implications for the order.' He paused and relaxed back in his chair as the heads listened soberly.

 

'Harry spent some time at the order headquarters the summer before last. Tonks and Moody have grown rather fond of the boy and he of course has a very strong relationship with the Weasley family. I think everyone was particularly upset that they have been guarding that house for the last two years, without a clue what was going on behind the front door.'

 

Poppy took up the thread of the conversation. 'Alastor Moody went bananas. He was cursing and swearing. We took some pictures of the injuries on Harry's back and Alastor was beyond angry.'

 

'How was Molly?' Minerva asked quietly and Albus sighed. 'She sat very quietly thought out the whole thing. It was Arthur who was the most distressed. I can tell you all in confidence that Arthur has been a little unsure about Harry's character over the years. He found the boys tendency to secrecy and running in half cocked a

little worrying. He was very upset to realise the reasons behind those character traits and of course he has discarded some of his older children's concerns over the years.'

 

'What concerns?' Minerva asked sharply, still feeling her own blindness on this subject rather acutely.

 

'I'm sure you all remember the flying car incident in Harry's second year?'

 

There were murmurs of agreement and Severus frowned. He could remember the blistering verbal attack he had launched at the boy that night.

 

'Well, apparently the twins and young Ron rescued Harry from the Dursleys' in that car and they reported to his parents that Harry had been starved, fed through a cat flap once a day and that there were bars on his bedroom window.'

 

Popoma buried her face in her hands at this and Minerva hissed sharply.

 

'Molly and Arthur discarded the boys testimony as an exaggerated account, designed to get them out of trouble. With what we know now...,' he trailed off and smoothed his beard sadly.

 

'Anyway, Arthur went tearing off to get his cloak, fully intent on flooing to Surrey and hexing the Dursleys' into oblivion. He was sobbing the whole time.' Poppy shook her head sadly. 'Alastor was going to go and help. Thankfully Remus and Kingsley calmed them all down and got Arthur drunk on half a bottle of Whiskey.'

 

Flitwick snorted. 'I would have thought Remus would have been first in the queue for a good Dursley bashing.'

 

Albus smiled fondly at the thought of his latest addition to the staff. 'Remus, despite appearances, has the physical strength of a wolf. He has learnt by necessity not to act in temper. That of course is no reflection of his true feelings on the matter.'

 

He looked down at the long list of things they had on the list and decided to move things along before the mood dropped any further.

 

'Anyway; no more attacks on the Dursleys'. Harry can decide what he wants to do about charges when he comes of age in the summer. In the mean time steps are being taken to formalize a guardianship for him which you will all be hearing about at next weeks staff meeting. Harry himself is resting with the Weasley family just now and will hopefully return to the school at the weekend. I believe you have all volunteered to help him with his studies this week?'

 

Their was a collection of nods and agreement.

 

'Excellent, then. Next on the agenda...'

 

)O(

 

Harry had had a much better day. He had slept until ten when Molly had woken him up with a steaming plate of bacon and eggs. He had then sat the kitchen table still in his pyjamas and done some of his homework. He was pleased to discover that he was more ahead with his reading than he had realised.

 

The first two classes worth of work he had been able to skip and go straight to the homework essays which he had finished quickly. He had then had a shower and had curled up in the window seat in Percy's room with his transfiguration textbook.

Molly had shaken him awake an hour later and forced a plate of sandwiches on him. He still felt so weary, it was annoying.

 

Another two hours of work and it was time for dinner. Harry came down the stairs to find Professor Snape was already sat at the table. He blushed and looked down at his feet, unsure of how to act in front of his soon to be Master. That was a strange thought.

 

'Oh there you are dear. Grab a seat. Professor Snape has come a little early so that he can join us for dinner.'

 

Despite her hospitality, Harry could detect a slight nervousness in her voice and realised that he had never seen Snape voluntarily socializing with anyone in the order. Molly would never have seen him being anything but his normal snarky self.

 

Harry hid a smile and went to sit near his Professor, who was giving him a very appraising head to toe examination.

 

'How are you Harry?' Severus asked quietly, unaware of the sharp look Molly gave him.

 

'Better,' Harry mumbled. 'A bit embarrassed about all this actually.'

 

Sensing Molly about to go into a motherly overdrive as she reassured the boy, Severus smoothly got in there first.

 

'I can understand that, it has been a difficult few days for you. Did you manage to get some of your school work done today?'

 

Harry smiled. 'I got all of yesterdays work done and one of today's classes. I'm not sure about a couple of the wand movements for my charms class though.'

 

Severus gave a curt nod. 'We can go through those after dinner. I have also brought all of the ingredients for today's potion assignment so if Molly doesn't mind supervising you tomorrow then you can give it a go. I have also brought some papers for you to sign for your apprenticeship.'

 

Harry eyed the large pile of parchment with wide eyes.

 

'Would that be it then. If I sign it's all done.'

 

Severus rose an eyebrow. 'Did you expect dancing naked under the moon and a blood ritual?'

 

'Severus!' Molly hissed, about to launch into a tirade which fell away as Harry burst out laughing. After a moments pause, Severus laughed too as Harry have an involuntary shudder.

 

'I could have done without that mental image sir'

 

Arthur came to join them and Molly served the dinner, her lips pursed into a determined smile that looked rather forced.

 

Harry helped himself to a small potion and then was forced to sit back with a sigh and watch as Snape added extra potions of veg and potatoes to Harry's plate.

 

'I'm really not that hungry sir.'

 

'There is no point in me continuing to brew a nutrient potion for you if you are not eating enough at meals. I do realise you are trying,' Severus reassured gently. '...but it will be necessary for you to push yourself a little if you are ever to reach a healthy weight. You should also know that Madam Pomfrey has restricted you from flying until you have gained another seven pounds.'

 

Harry's eyes widened in horror. 'That's a whole half a stone! I've already put loads of weight back on since the summer and I've been flying fine.'

 

Severus looked at him sternly. 'We can discuss this after dinner Harry as well as the other expectations I will have of you when you start your apprenticeship.'

 

The temperature in the room cooled considerably as Molly and Arthur stared resolutely at their plates and the conversation tailed off. It was clear that they didn't completely approve of this new plan.

 

Harry picked at his food but did manage to eat two thirds of it before he gave his professor a pleading look. Snape inclined his head slightly and Harry pushed his cutlery together with a relieved sigh.

 

Severus watched as the boy settled himself on the couch near the fire, pleased to see that Harry felt comfortable here and did look more relaxed than he had over the last few weeks.

 

Molly and Arthur left them alone whilst they went to clear the evening dishes and prepare for the next work whilst Harry unpacked all of his school work.

 

Severus spent an hour going over the charms spells that Harry was struggling with and looking through the work the boy had already completed. He helped Harry plan his work load for the following day and then settled on the coach beside the boy with the apprenticeship paperwork in his hand.

 

'So how does this work sir?'

 

'Firstly, are you still completely sure about this Harry. It can't be undone once the magical component is completed.'

 

Harry smiled shyly and nodded, looking down into his lap and Severus felt his stomach clench. Why on earth the child would want to be bound to him was beyond his understanding. He didn't like his own company most of the time.

 

'Well then, lets go through this paperwork.'

 

Severus talked through all the legal aspects and how the parental side of the contract would work. Snape would have control of the classes Harry took, his extra curricula activities and all disciplinary matters. When Harry read the point about house affiliation his head snapped up in alarm.

 

'I won't be in Gryffindor any more?'

 

Severus smirked. Trust the brat to skip over the discipline bit without pause but have a heart attack at the thought of leaving the lions den.

 

'Traditionally you would have a room off my own quarters as apprentices often did menial household chores for their masters.' Severus paused and watched with amusement as Harry paled and looked down at the papers in alarm.

 

'Don't panic Harry; I am not looking for another house elf. You will have a room in my quarters which you may use if you wish but the headmaster agrees that in this case it would benefit you to maintain ties with your house. Your robes will no longer have a Gryffindor crest but you may continue to stay in the tower so long as your house mates agree.'

 

Harry looked up. 'They have to approve me staying there!'

 

'Um, a public vote I believe. Don't work Potter; I'm sure the-boy-who-lived won't have any problem there.'

 

Harry grimaced and Severus chuckled. The child was really far too easy to wind up.

 

Once they had worked through the paperwork. Harry took his quill and signed each page, watching with a lump in his throat as Snape then added his signature beside each of Harry's.

 

Arthur Weasley signed the last page as a witness and Severus put them all away in his battered briefcase.

 

'Remus will sign his portion of the papers when he is up and about tomorrow and then once you have returned to Hogwarts the headmaster will perform the actual bond.'

 

'Will I feel it sir?'

 

Severus accepted the mug of coffee that Arthur offered him and nodded briefly.

 

'Yes, we all will. There is a physical sensation not unlike receiving a minor burn and I should warn you that you will have a mark on your right wrist that identifies you as an indented apprentice.

 

Harry shuddered. 'Like being a slave,' he said flatly and Severus laid his hand on the boys back in comfort.

 

'Unfortunately, yes. That was the original idea of this kind of magic but we don't live in those days any longer. The mark should look like a thin band on your wrist and may have a symbol on the front.'

 

'A symbol?'

 

'Um,' Severus sipped his coffee elegantly. 'It is normally either a small flame or cauldron for a potions apprentice and a staff for a defence training. The staff looks like a thin line. It may be you have a combination of both. The bonding spell will read each of our intentions and form the symbol and bond accordingly.'

 

Harry nodded and relaxed back against the sofa with a sigh. He glanced sideways at his professor who was staring into the flames with a thoughtful expression on his face.

 

'Thank you for doing this sir. I really do appreciate it.'

 

Harry paused a moment and then taking a chance, leant his head against the professors shoulder.

 

Feeling his throat grow tight, Severus slipped his arm around the boy and pulled him into his side.

 

'Things will get better now Harry. I promise you. I'm not saying it will be easy but no-one is going to hurt you like that again and I will do my best to ensure that your last years at school are better than the previous ones have been.'

 

Harry took a deep breath and let the remaining tension slip away from his back and shoulders as he relaxed into the professors arms. How often had he wished and hoped for this? An adult to hold him and tell him things would be all right. It was amazing to think that Snape of all people, had been the one to hear that wish.

 

Molly came through to the lounge at her husband silent beckoning from the door. The sight before her had her holding one hand to her mouth, the other pressed over her pounding heart.

 

Dear Harry who had resisted all of her attempts at physical affection and run away every time she had sought to comfort him, was curled up on the sofa, leaning against Severus of all people. The feared potions professor had an arm round the boy, his hand absently carding Harry's hair and the two of them were chatting amicably, Harry's school books and assignments scattered around them.

 

Molly withdrew quietly into the kitchen and exchanged a tearful smile with her husband.

 

'I think we were wrong about this Molly. Have you ever seen him make himself vulnerable like that?'

 

Molly chuckled. 'Which one of them are you talking about?' and Arthur smiled and drew his wife into his arms.

 

'I know how much you love the boy Molly, but I think maybe Severus is able to help in a way we can't.'

 

Molly nodded against her husbands shoulder.

'You don't still think badly of Harry, do you?'

 

Arthur's arms tightened around her. 'To be honest dear; I'm deeply ashamed I ever did. Especially knowing what we know now. I can't bear the thought that the boy has stayed with us so often and been hiding injuries the whole time.'

 

Molly leant back with a smile. 'I can't see him hiding anything from Severus.'

 

Arthur chuckled. 'No dear, neither can I.'

 

)O(

 

To be continued...
Chapter 21 by Kendra James
 

Chapter 21

 

)O(

 

Severus remained at the Weasleys' for the rest of the evening; staying beside Harry until the boy nodded off on his shoulder. He chatted quietly with Arthur about developments at the ministry and the order whilst Molly knitted.

 

Later he would ponder how yet again, he had found himself enjoying a social situation because of Harry. It was gone eleven when he took the floo to The Three Broomsticks and walked out in the chilly Scottish weather.

 

The walk back up to Hogwarts was interrupted when his mark unexpectedly flared to life. He hissed and grabbed his left arm whilst mentally preparing himself for what was to come. This was the first time he had been summoned since agreeing with Albus to give up his spying role. He was no longer an active death eater.

 

The trouble was Voldemort didn't know that yet.

 

He reached into his robe and took the thick black potion he had been developing exactly for this moment. The long lasting nerve block would help him to get through the next twenty four hours. After that he could only hope the steps he had planned would be enough.

 

Severus leant against a wall until the pain had dropped to a dull throb and then sent his patronus on ahead to warn Poppy; telling her it had begun and he would be there shortly.

 

)O(

 

Harry had been curled up asleep in his bed when his scar burst to life and woke him with a jolt. His thoughts immediately flew to Professor Snape. He had never asked him what would happen now. The man would be in danger once Voldemort realised that his potions master had left his side.

 

Harry was convinced that he wouldn't sleep again that night and was surprised when he awoke in the morning feeling rested and refreshed. He wondered if all of the adults encouragement to leave the 'bigger' things to them was finally sinking in?

 

He was surprised to find a letter for him on the breakfast table in Snape's handwriting. The short note warmed him in a way that he couldn't remember ever feeling before. He sat at the table smiling softly and unaware of the answering smiles on the grown Weasley's faces.

 

Harry,

 

I know you would have felt the call last night night and I didn't want you to worry.

I am safe at Hogwarts but may be in the infirmary for a few days whilst Madam Pomfrey and I take the necessary steps to block the Dark Lords call.

 

Your wolf friend is also here and fully recovered from his time of the month;

he has already signed his section of the paperwork we discussed.

 

Rest well Harry. I would like you to keep to normal school hours for the remainder of your stay at the Burrow and limit any daytime naps to 1 hour.

 

Professor Snape

 

Harry snorted in amusement, 'time of the month!' Remus would just love that. He folded the small piece of parchment away and tucked it in his jean pocket, accepting the enormous plate of bacon and eggs that Molly placed in front of him. A glance at the family clock showed him that it was just gone eight which meant he was almost back on normal time again.

 

Arthur folded his section of the paper away and tucked into his own breakfast, pleased to see Harry was eating his with enthusiasm.

 

'Did Molly tell you that the twins are home this evening Harry?'

 

Harry shook his head and swallowed the large mouthful of scrambled eggs before giving the man a smile.

 

'No Sir, have they opened the shop yet?'

 

'I believe the grand opening is next Monday. There are some renovations being made to the upstairs flat so they are coming home for the rest of the week, although I expect they will be flooing back and forth a great deal. They are looking forward to seeing you.'

 

Harry glanced back down at his plate nervously. He knew that the twins had been at the order meeting where they had discussed his medical report, which meant they had seen those horrid pictures of his back. He took a deep breath and forced himself to calm. He was not going to get all upset about that again.

 

'It's not the same in school without them; far to quiet.'

 

Molly huffed as she took the seat opposite him and buttered her toast with a little more force than strictly necessary.

 

'I don't know what they think they are doing. They should be taking their NEWTS; not messing around with exploding products.'

 

Harry and Arthur exchanged a sneaky grin before Arthur nodded gravely at his wife.

 

'It's very worrying; very worrying indeed.'

 

Harry tried not to choke on his breakfast as he studiously avoided eye contact with either adult. He hoped the twins didn't let it spill who their secret financial backer was; at least not whilst he was staying here.

 

Harry worked diligently all day on his school work and tried to avoid the pull to go back to his bed. He was recognising now that his tiredness was not purely physical. The thought of the Dursleys' or the coming apprenticeship had him wanting to curl back under the covers in the dark.

 

Instead, he went for a walk around the burrows grounds, running his hands along the properties wards and watching how they shimmered and flexed to his touch. If he concentrated he could see the multiple lines that knitted together in a large domed shape.

 

He thought he might be able to identify the thread of the headmasters magic if he spent enough time there. It had a distinct edge that he recognised from the wards at Hogwarts. Harry wondered if being able to cast and hold wards was one of the qualifying factors for being holding the head job. It would explain why all the headmasters and headmistresses had been such powerful wizards and witches.

 

Having shaken off his sleepiness in the brisk air, he returned back to the burrow's kitchen table and his Arithmancy homework. He hadn't actually elected to take that class this year but had chosen it for his private study.

 

Weirdly, he hadn't ever met the Professor who taught this, as his head of house had been supervising his study. His project on the magical energies of natural formations in nature had proved harder than he thought it would but he was getting decent marks.

 

Harry was delighted when Professor Lupin stepped out of the floo and joined them for dinner. He never knew which Professor would appear each evening and he was a little embarrassed at having caused so much extra work for them all.

 

Remus looked at little tired, but otherwise none the worse for wear following the full moon. He gave Harry a beaming smile and sat beside the boy at the table.

 

'You look busy. Do you want to go over your work before or after dinner?'

 

Harry grinned. 'Before if you don't mind. Are you ok?'

 

Remus smiled softly. 'I had a very quiet night actually. Moony went to sleep under my desk. Severus has found an adjustment that has a slight sedative in it. This is the first time I can remember not having any injuries in the morning. Where shall we start then?'

 

Harry sighed in relief that he wasn't going to get an inquisition on his health and reached for the pile of parchments he had been scrawling on all day. He continued working on his project whilst Remus read through his work, making small corrections as he went.

 

The professors smile as he tidied the pile an hour later gave Harry's mood a lift.

 

'These are all fine Harry. I've made a note of a few areas you need to read up on some more, but you have E's in all of these and an O in your defence essay. I will pass these on to the other Professors.' He ruffled Harry's hair. 'Do you have any practical work you need to practice?'

 

Harry grinned. 'Nope! It was all pretty straight forward today. Professor Snape said you signed the papers,' he added shyly and Remus smiled softly.

 

'I did Harry and the headmaster has also signed. As soon as you are back at school then we can activate the magical contract. Albus asked how you felt about doing this on Sunday evening?'

 

Harry swallowed nervously and nodded.

 

'It's normal to be nervous about something this big Harry. Are you having second thoughts?'

 

'No, it's just,' Harry unconsciously rubbed his wrist. 'I really hate the idea of being branded.'

 

Remus sighed and wrapped an arm around Harry's shoulders. 'Yeah, I know what you mean. I didn't like that bit either.'

 

Harry looked up in surprise. 'Did you have to do this too?'

 

Remus smiled. 'How else did you think I gained my Mastery? I had a defence apprenticeship with a Mage in France. I was really touchy about the brand. It didn't help that there were werewolf laws in the UK that insisted we were all numbered and the number tattooed on our wrist. I left England to avoid being tattooed and ended up with a different mark instead.'

 

'What did it look like?'

 

Remus pulled up his sleeve and showed Harry the now faded line that sat on the inside of his wrist.

 

'It was originally a red staff with a stone on the top that looked a lot like my Masters staff. There was also a thick black band around my wrist but that immediately disappeared when I was released from my apprenticeship.'

 

'Was yours for three years or seven?'

 

Remus chuckled. 'Worried we are going to keep you around for seven years just to make the tea?'

 

Harry blushed and nodded. 'A little bit. It's scary that I don't get a choice in the time line.'

 

Remus gave the boys shoulders a reassuring squeeze. 'The intention is to keep it a three years unless all three of us agree that it would benefit you to stay in the bond for longer. I imagine a lot of it will depend on your career choice at the end of it all. I knew after a few months that I wanted to be as good as my Master was at defence. I stayed in the bond for six years but my Master gave me the choice to go each year.'

 

Harry started tidying his books away whilst he thought about all Remus had said.

 

'Were you in France for the whole six years?'

 

'Longer actually,' Remus's voice sounded curiously flat. 'I left after...after your parents died and Sirius was...after I lost them all. The Ministry were passing through all of this anti werewolf legislation and there didn't seem to be anything worth staying here for. When I met Master Francois, well...it seemed an excellent opportunity to learn how to defend myself properly. I always wondered if I had known more, if I would have been more use to my friends.'

 

Remus pondering was interrupted as Harry's arm latched around his waist and the boy hugged him fiercely.

 

'It wasn't your fault Remus,' a muffled voice stated angrily and Remus let his arms settle around the boys shoulders.

 

'I know Harry, but it's hard not to think 'what if' sometimes.'

 

'Yeah, I know. I do that too sometimes.'

 

Remus's arms tightened in sympathy and he sighed sadly.

 

'I know you are still struggling with Sirius's death and maybe Cedric too.'

 

He pulled the boy over to the table again and sat him down, aware that Molly and Arthur had come into the kitchen and were beginning the meal preparations.

 

'I was already at the Ministry the night Sirius was killed. When the message came through from Severus that you had gone and might be headed to the department of mysteries, my first thought was to floo to Grimmald Place and stick Sirius in a body bind so he didn't do anything stupid. I wish every day I had followed that instinct.'

 

Harry dropped his head and wiped his face furiously at the thought that his godfather might have been saved so easily.

 

'...but then I think about the alternatives.'

 

Harry's head came up as the Professor continued. 'That would have delayed me by five minutes or so and it was I who saw which door Lucius ran through. If I hadn't seen that then it would have taken the rest of the order precious minutes to find you. Any one of you might have been killed.'

 

Harry sniffed and blew his nose loudly.

 

'If you had died that night, Sirius would never have forgiven himself. I think you were the only thing keeping him going; The thought that one day you might have a chance to be a family; and despite what happened, he was bloody useful that night. He always was the best dueller in the order and his presence likely tipped the balance in our favour.'

 

Harry swallowed as another piece of the lump in his chest broke free and floated away. It felt like just maybe the day was coming when he could talk about Sirius and not break down.

 

A discreet cough broke the sombre mood as Molly appeared at their side with a pot of tea and two chipped mugs. Harry was starting to notice just how run down the burrow was. He had always known that the Weasley family were not wealthy but now he was staying here, he was realising just how bad things were for the family. He had not seen a single piece of crockery without a crack or chip and most of the furniture was literally held together by magic.

 

He accepted the mug of tea with a smile for Molly, his thoughts shifting to the Dursleys' and just how different the two families were. He had recently found out that the Dursleys' had received a weekly allowance from the Potter vaults to pay for his keep; and that far from being a drain on them; he had probably been paying their mortgage all those years.

 

He wondered if there was a way to reimburse Molly and Arthur for the money they had paid out whilst he was staying. The fact that his professors were eating here too must be having an impact.

 

Harry made a mental note to ask Professor Snape about that when he went back to school.

 

The arrival of the twins soon put paid to any further serious discussion. The two tall men; and they were definitely men now, swept Harry up off the kitchen bench in a hug and had him roaring in laughter before they would put him back down.

 

'Merlin Harry; you're skinnier than Snape...'

 

'no wonder they sent you here..'

 

'to our esteemed mother...

 

'for a bit of fattening up.'

 

'...and speaking of fattening up!'

 

Fred pulled a small package out of his pocket and then enlarged it with a swish of his wand. Settled on the table was an enormous food hamper, full of every type of luxury food and drink Harry had ever seen in the wizarding world.

 

'One of our fellow shopkeeper gifted us this as a welcome present...'

 

'...and we thought you might make use of it Mum?'

 

Molly ooed and arghed as she pulled out each jar and packet from the hamper and tidied them away in the kitchen. She slapped both Remus's and Arthurs's hand away as they both spotted a tin of double chocolate cookies and reached for them.

 

'Dinner will only be ten minutes or so, honestly. You are worse than the boys!'

 

Both men grinned and sat back at the table as the twins laid out the cutlery and caught their parents up on all their news. The shop sounded like it was going to be great although everyone at the table winced when they described the bright orange front they had decided on. Harry wondered how that was going down with the deeply traditional shops in the alley. He smiled softly at the thought of the tri-wizard money being used to paint half of the alley orange. He hoped Cedric would approve.

 

The dinner was relaxed and happy and full of noise. It had much more of the character of a Weasley family dinner that the last few days had and Harry sighed happily. To his delight Fred and George stayed over and after sitting up late around the fire talking about joke charms with Remus, they marched Harry up to bed and insisted on tucking him in.

 

Once they had wrapped him so tightly in his sheets that he doubted he could ever get out again, Fred sat on the edge of his bed and gave him the closest thing to a serious look that Harry had ever seen on one of the twins faces.

 

'Harry, I know that you know that we know about what happened to you last summer.'

 

George sniggered at his twins clumsy wording.

'What my esteemed brother is trying to say is that...'

 

'...we are here for you...'

 

'...if you need us...'

 

'...and you are never to go through something like that again...'

 

'...without telling us...'

 

'...and we are really sorry..'

 

'...if our prank on your cousin...'

 

'...made any of it worse.'

 

Harry smiled softly.

 

'Thanks guys, I appreciate it and I'm ok now...really!' he added at their less than convinced expressions.

 

'No you're not,' Fred said quietly.

 

'...but you will be.' George added, whilst gently ruffling Harry's hair.

 

'See you at breakfast little brother.'

 

Harry closed his eyes and took a deep steadying breath as the twins quietly (for them) closed the door and headed to their own room.

 

He was so lucky, he thought with a smile. He had some great friends. After battling his sheets into something more comfortable and less likely to strangle him, he drifted to sleep with thoughts of orange shops, luxury food hampers and joke charms.

 

)O(

 

Harry spent the remainder of his week at the burrow on a similar schedule to his christmas holidays and he found himself not only keeping up with his studies but getting even further ahead with his reading. He had a feeling he would need to be if he was going to cope with the extra work his apprenticeship would likely involve.

 

He spent an hour every evening watching the wards and learning as much as he could from their patterns. Remus had left him with a book about the wards of Hogwarts and he was looking forward to observing them properly when he got back to school.

 

Arthur had sat with him one evening and explained that the land that the burrow was built on drained away the magic of the wards and the house and meant that they had to be recast and strengthened quite often. It was one of the reasons that some areas had so many stone circles, he explained. Some places just eat the magic up so you need stone to act as an anchor for the magic.

His book had some amazing diagrams of the corners stones placed around some of the old manor houses to get around this problem. Linked to the stones, rather than the ground, the wards could potentially last for ever. However, it took an exceptionally powerful wizard to cast wards that strong and the stones themselves were expensive to acquire and move into position.

 

Harry started to develop a half formed idea of gifting the family some ward stones. It could be a great way to repay their kindness and they may accept it if it meant that he could visit more often. Arthur had explained that the wards the headmaster and Snape had cast would start to degrade after a week or so and would likely fall completely within a month.

 

By the time Sunday came and he was ready to return to school, Harry had used his book and his notes on the land to draw a rough plan of where the stones should sit. It would need eleven stones to cover the whole of the burrows grounds or eight to surround the house and immediate garden. He would ask Remus's advice on how to go about making his plans a reality.

 

Harry packed away his things with a pang, realising how much he would miss the peace and quiet of the burrow. Not a description he had ever thought to apply to this particular family home.

 

Harry pulled his trunk down the stairs and smiled shyly when he saw Professor Snape waiting beside the floo connection for him. The professor had his left arm in a sling and tied tightly to his side and looked a little pale. He gave a small nod to Harry and turned to shake Arthur's hand.

 

'Thank you for this week Arthur. I'm sure it has done Harry the world of good.'

 

Harry nodded and allowed Molly to pull him in to a hug.'

 

'It's been lovely to have you dear and you do look a little more rested. You two take care of each other won't you?'

 

Harry smiled and glanced at his professor, knowing that Molly had deliberately alluded to Snape's rather pale appearance.

 

'Do you still plan to complete the magical contract this evening?' Arthur asked with interest and Severus nodded, his eyes still on the boy.

 

'Yes, so long as Harry is up to it. There is no rush but Albus did not want to file the paperwork with the ministry until the ritual was completed. There is less chance of them interfering that way.'

 

Harry felt his stomach shift nervously but with growing excitement as he realised the apprenticeship was really going to happen. He shook hands with Arthur, who also pulled him into a brief hug and allowed Snape to take his cloak off him before reaching into the floo pot.

'Say 'McGonagall's office,' Harry. I will follow you shortly.'

 

With one last smile, Harry flooed away, his eyes still on his soon to be Master.

 

)O(

 

To be continued...
Chapter 22 by Kendra James
 

)O(

 

Harry stepped out of the floo into his head of houses office and sighed as he felt the familiar magic of Hogwarts soothe him. He really did love this place. It had been easy to forget that over the last few years when half the school thought he was crazy and Umbridge was stalking his every move.

 

Now things were going much better and his christmas break had allowed him to connect with the castle once again. He looked around McGonagall's large office, surprised to find it empty and smiled at the rich red furnishings. It didn't look that much different from the Gryffindor common room really.

 

The door opened and Harry shuffled nervously as both Professor McGonagall and the headmaster came in.

 

'Welcome back Harry,' the stern witch said gently. 'Is Severus behind you?'

 

Harry fidgeted. 'He's just saying goodbye to Mr and Mrs Weasley.'

 

With a flash of green, the imposing potions master stepped into the room and lay Harry's trunk down beside the fireplace where it immediately disappeared, presumably to the Gryffindor dormitory.

 

'Did you want to do this now Albus,' he asked in surprise and the headmaster turned his gaze to Harry instead of answering straight away.

 

'Did you have any other questions or concerns about going ahead with the ritual Harry?'

 

Harry shook his head, avoiding the headmaster's gaze and giving his answer to Snape instead.

 

'No Sir. I'm sure I want to do this and have already signed the papers. I really don't like the brand part of it but I understand that it's part of the deal and not your choice.' He paused for a moment searching for the right words. 'I trust you and Professor Lupin to not make this...erm, difficult or hold on to me without my consent.'

 

Severus's expression softened and he took a step closer to the boy.

 

'Is Lupin on his way?'

 

Minerva glanced at her pocket watch. 'Yes, he should be here shortly. He has collected all of the herbs we will need and Poppy wanted to be here for you as well.' She gave Severus a stern look and he scowled.

 

'I am perfectly fine Minerva. I do not need a nurse watching over me for a simple bonding ritual.'

 

Harry watched the exchange curiously, wondering if he should be more worried than he was about the professor.

 

The arrival of Remus and the schools mediwitch stopped any further questions and Minerva moved around the room lighting the large pillar candles that floated in a large circle. Remus moved behind Harry, his hand coming to rest on the teens shoulder.

 

'Are you ready Harry?' he asked quietly. 'I realise we have somewhat ambushed you as you have just arrived back at school but I thought you may get nervous if we delayed too long.'

 

Harry noticed how all the adults eyes were watching him carefully, whilst seeming to be engaged in getting their parts of the ritual ready.

 

'I think I'm ready. Is my bit difficult?'

 

'Not at all Harry,' Remus answered kindly. 'You will be asked questions at various points and you just have to answer honestly and from the heart. Once the bonding is complete then you, me and Severus will be marked and that will signify the end of the ritual. Albus can then send all the paperwork to the ministry to make it official with them.'

 

'I think we are ready,' Minerva said softly and Remus led Harry into the centre of the room to stand beside a large circular table. The table was covered in candles and Harry recognised the parchment he had already signed weighed down by a large rock. A small brass bowl emitted a cloud of sweet smelling incense and a leather bound journal lay open to the appropriate page for the working.

 

Harry looked round at everyone as he stopped in the place Remus had indicated. He noticed that Poppy and Minerva had moved out of the circle of candles and taken a seat on a small sofa to watch. The headmaster stood before him with Remus to his left and Severus to his right making a square.

 

Both professors had removed their robes and rolled up their sleeves leaving their forearms expose and Harry winced as he caught sight of Snape's left arm. A large bloody bandage covered what Harry knew to be his dark mark and there were four nasty looking burns at each corner of the bandage.

 

Alarmed, his gaze flew to Snape's face and the man shook his head lightly.

 

'It's all right Harry. Madam Pomfrey and I have found a way to block the pain but it has required causing some damage to the nerves surrounding the mark. That's what the burn marks are. It doesn't look pretty just now I know but will improve soon.'

'Shall we?' the headmaster asked quietly and everyone's focus returned to him.

 

After a brief moment of silence the older wizard started to chant in Latin and Harry felt his breath hitch as the atmosphere abruptly changed and the air temperature appeared to drop several degrees. He had forgotten just how powerful his headmaster was.

 

He felt Remus's hand grip his arm to steady him and he nodded slightly in thanks. After several minutes the chant came to an end and Dumbledore turned his attention back to the three young men stood before him.

 

'We are gathered to forge an apprenticeship contract between Severus Tobias Snape and Harry James Potter in the Mastery of Potions; additionally a contract between Remus John Lupin and Harry James Potter in the Mastery of Defence. '

 

He smiled at the trio. 'Do all parties agree?'

 

'We do,' the two professors answered together and a heartbeat later. 'I do,' from a quiet and slightly shaky Harry.

 

'Relax Harry,' the headmaster said with a smile. 'I know it's formal but the magic is friendly here.'

 

Harry didn't really understand what that meant but he felt a little calmer all the same.

 

'Severus Tobias Snape, you will hold the senior role and pastoral responsibility for your charge. Do you accept this duty?'

 

Harry watched as Snape paused to remember his lines and then recited softly.

 

'I Severus Tobias Snape accept the apprentice Harry James Potter in bonding to me for a period of not less than three years. I vow to teach my field with all diligence and integrity and not knowingly abuse my authority in word or deed. I accept the primary pastoral role for this apprentice and all the parental responsibilities that entails. I vow to protect his safety and well being, and will support his primary Mastery in Defence however I may.'

 

The headmaster smiled and turned to Remus.

 

'Remus John Lupin, you will hold the Defence Mastery and have seniority when it comes to the apprentice's studies. Do you accept this duty?

 

'I Remus John Lupin accept the apprentice Harry James Potter in bonding to me for a period not less than three years. I vow to teach my field with all diligence and integrity and not knowingly abuse my authority in word or deed. I accept the primary teaching role for this apprentice. I further vow to submit to Severus Tobias Snape in all matters of discipline or well being for the apprentice and support the additional learning in the field of potions however I may.'

 

'That was well done boys,' Albus said softly as the energy in the room crackled and sizzled with the gathering magic. His focus shifted to Harry.

 

'Your bit is a little simpler Harry. Are you ready.'

 

Awestruck at the power of the ritual he was immersed in Harry could only nod numbly.

 

'Harry James Potter, do you enter this apprenticeship freely and without coercion?'

 

'I do,' Harry said firmly and the magic leapt adding a purple tint to the air. Dimly Harry was aware of Madam Pomfrey's gasp in the background.

 

'Do you commit to this bond until both Professors Snape and Lupin consent to release you or a period of seven years has passed?'

 

'I do.'

 

'Do you agree to submit to their leadership and guidance in your studies and to Professor Snape in all areas of discipline?'

 

Harry swallowed nervously, a mental flash of Uncle Vernon's particular brand of discipline causing his legs to start trembling. Remus shuffled in place and Harry knew the man's exceptional sense of smell would have picked up his spike of fear.

 

Harry closed his eyes and took a few deep breaths, mentally pulling up memories of Snape tending to him when he was ill and holding him during the medical exam as he cried. He felt his heart slowly calm and the fear settle.

 

His voice shaking slightly and with his eyes closed, he focused on the magic around around him and quietly spoke.

 

'I Harry James Potter agree to submit to Professor Lupin and Professor Snape in my studies and follow as best as I can their advice and guidance. I....,' he paused and swallowed heavily. '...I agree to submit to Professor Snape in matters of discipline and trust him to know what's best.'

 

Harry opened his eyes and met the headmasters piercing gaze for the first time in months; feeling a little embarrassed at his childish words in the midst of such a solemn ceremony. He was surprised to find the man beaming at him and the air around them shimmering with gold flecks.

 

'I will now complete the ceremony and the magic will read your intentions and seal the bond. You should all focus on everything you want from this apprenticeship and that will help decide the form of your marks. Please place your left hands on top of mine.'

Severus lay his hand on Albus's and gave Harry a nod who tentatively followed. Remus completed the pile, giving Harry's hand an encouraging squeeze.'

 

'I should warn you that there may be some pain during the forming of the mark but it is vital that you do not pull your hand away until the ritual is complete and the circle falls. Now please direct your thoughts gentleman.'

 

Harry closed his eyes as the headmaster began to chant in Latin again and pulled forth all of his hopes for this unexpected new chance at life. He concentrated on his strange and mixed feelings for Snape, his hopes for the skills to survive and defeat Voldemort and his positive memories of Remus teaching. Unbidden the image of curling up in Snape's arms lodged in his brain and the feeling of complete safety that had encompassed him. He remembered the way the rest of the world had felt locked out, even in the midst of the that awful medical.

 

The magic swirled around them and Harry could hear the sound of rushing wind as a slow burn started on his left wrist, the skin around it tingling. It slowly increased in intensity until he found his face screwed up with the discomfort.

 

A blast of energy flew through his body and he heard as if from a distance the hiss that escaped Snape's lips. He felt Remus's hand start in surprise above his and then the world was darkening, the edges of his vision blurring as his knees buckled beneath him. He heard a sharp 'Harry!' as he fell and then he knew no more.

 

Severus had watched in awe and then growing alarm as the magic around them had built to a level he had never experienced before. The sudden rush into the three of them had driven him to his knees and he found himself unable to assist, or even move as Harry's eyes rolled back into his head and he collapsed in Remus's arms.

 

He was aware of the gaping sense of loss as the magic dissipated and the circle dropped, all of the candles extinguishing themselves as one. He saw Poppy and Minerva rush over and knew that Albus was grasping his arm and speaking urgently to him but he couldn't hear the words. With a sigh he gave in and let the incoming darkness take him, falling unconscious to the floor beside his new apprentice.

 

)O(

 

For a moment there was real panic as the remaining adults flew to Harry and Severus's side but once Poppy had confirmed that both were stable and Albus had ascertained that the ritual had completed then the tension dropped a notch.

 

Remus sat awkwardly on the floor with the teenager draped across his lap while Poppy made the necessary arrangements to have them all transferred to the hospital wing.

 

'Are you all right Remus,' the headmaster asked quietly and the tired looking man gave a wry smile in answer.

'I'm not sure I could stand up just now but I am otherwise OK. I've never felt anything like that Albus. Do you think this is magical overload?' he asked glancing down at Harry's pale face.

 

'I'm sure that is part of it, yes. Young bodies are rarely exposed to that level of magic and this was an exceptionally powerful bonding. We may need to keep young Harry asleep for a few days whilst his core absorbs the excess.' He chuckled and added, 'I may need that myself. May I see the bond mark Remus?'

 

The younger man held out his wrist and two sets of eyebrows rose in surprise.

 

'Well that's different,' Remus said with a smile in his voice and the headmaster nodded his agreement.

 

'Indeed it is my boy, indeed it is.'

 

)O(

 

Harry drifted up from sleep with a heaviness in his limbs he had never experienced before and a strong sense of disorientation. He lay quietly for a moment, wondering why he felt so uneasy until the sound of footsteps clipping across stone floors in the distance encouraged him to open his eyes.

 

He focused blearily on the high arched ceiling and instantly recognized the hospital wing.

 

'Fuck!' he whispered hoarsely.

 

'Detention Mr Potter and don't let me hear language like that from you again.'

 

Harry jumped as his eyes flew to the right side of the bed to be confronted by Snape sat a small wooden desk, it's top covered in papers. He eyed the man warily but relaxed when he saw the amused smile on Snape's face.

 

'Sorry Sir. I really, really hate the hospital wing. Did I fu...erm mess up the ritual?'

 

'No Harry,' Snape put down the paper he had been reading and turned his chair to face his young charge.

 

'The ritual worked exactly as it should have. It was just a little more powerful than any of us were expecting. Professor Dumbledore believes that is something to do with the combination of all our magic. It is unusual to have four very powerful wizards in a circle like that.'

 

Harry coughed and attempted to sit himself up, surprised at how weak his arms felt. He barely noticed as Snape moved over to assist and pile a few extra pillows behind him. He found a water glass pressed into his hand and sipped gratefully before relaxing back against the pillow with a sigh.

'I can't believe I fainted. How embarrassing.'

 

An unidentified emotion flashed across the professors face before he smiled faintly.

 

'It wasn't exactly a faint Harry. You were overloaded with magic and it put you in a coma. You've been unconscious for five days. You've had everyone very worried.'

 

Harry's eyes widened in astonishment. 'Five days! Bloody hell, I had only just caught up with my homework.'

 

A soft chuckle drew both of their attention to the end of the bed where Remus had quietly appeared.

 

'I wouldn't worry too much about your work Harry. You have proven yourself up to the task of self directed study.' The slight man lowered himself onto the edge of Harry's bed. 'It's very good to see you awake; we were all concerned about you.'

 

'Sorry,' Harry muttered weakly, taking another sip of his water. 'Trust me to turn a simple ritual into a drama. My life is never normal.'

 

Severus's eyebrow rose as he smirked. 'Mmm, it's true that trouble seems to follow you but if it makes you feel any better, you weren't the only one to lose consciousness.'

 

'I...I wasn't?' Harry looked between the two man in confusion and Remus smiled fondly.

 

'Your esteemed potions master also spent a couple of days in dreamland and I had to be carried here. It was several hours before I could stand unaided.'

 

Harry looked at Snape who's expression clearly emphasised that any teasing or humorous comments on his collapse would not be welcome and Harry swallowed nervously.

 

'So it worked then? I'm your apprentice now.'

 

Snape nodded briefly. 'You are. Professor Lupin has been drawing up your new schedule and it will begin on Monday.'

 

'It's Friday afternoon Harry,' Remus added anticipating Harry's next question. 'You should also know that your new status was explained to Gryffindor house last night and they have unanimously voted to offer you honorary house membership so that you can remain in the tower.'

 

Snape snorted disdainfully but Harry knew better than to believe the man's mockery now. He has seen for himself how close Professor McGonagall and Snape really were.

 

'That's good,' he said with a smile. 'I had visions of having to move in with the Snakes if they decided not to let me stay.'

 

Remus laughed. 'I am sure your Seeker skills alone would have guaranteed that your house would hold on to but you also have good friends there Harry. Only Ron, Hermione and Neville know that you have been here this week. As far as the rest of the school is concerned you have away for the last two weeks staying with family.'

 

Remus paused and looked to Severus for guidance on how to proceed. Snape paused and then picked up where his colleague had left off.

 

'Professor McGonagall had been getting a lot of questions about your whereabouts and if you were OK. I believe there was some concern amongst the seventh years in your house after they saw you break down in the common room. Minerva decided that a little of the truth might be the way to dispel those concerns and stop any of the more outlandish rumours that were flying around. She explained to your house that both your aunt and uncle were unwell and that your uncle had been in hospital for a while. Unfortunately Mr Thomas was less than discreet about the injuries he saw on you and had expressed his belief that they were Voldemort induced. We saw no reason to dispel that particular rumour and gave a more detailed account of the events in the department of mysteries to your house.'

 

Remus added. 'In light of all of this then an apprenticeship will make a lot of sense to the rest of the school. In their eyes your family are no longer well enough to care for you and you have a dark lord after you. Extra defence training will surprise no one and everyone knows that my condition would prevent me having sole responsibility for a child. You may find your house a little protective of you for a while though, especially now they know you are bound to the evil Professor Snape.

 

Snape gave a rather sinister grin at that. 'I'm tempted to play to that a little, it wouldn't hurt to have your house feeling worried for you. It will keep them sharp.'

 

Harry smiled shyly. It was odd to be sat here hearing Snape talk about pretending to be mean to him rather than just being on the receiving end of the act with no warning.

 

He glanced down at his wrist and let out a small noise of surprise. A dark purple symbol was imprinted to the left of his pulse point. It looked like a runic symbol. He turned his hand over noticing immediately the lack on a band.

 

'I thought there was meant to be a manacle type of thingy?'

 

'Thingy?' Severus sneered. 'Is that your version of English Potter? I would hate to have to add remedial language classes to your rota.'

 

'A manacle Harry? Is that the way you thought of the band?' Remus asked sadly and Harry blushed, looking down, missing the look of concern exchanged between his professors.

Slightly embarrassed, Harry was distracted when Remus undid the cuff of his shirt to expose his wrist.

'It appears that the magic interpreted our intentions a little differently this time.'

 

Harry peered with interest and confusion at the older man's mark. On his wrist were two symbols in a similar style to Harry's and around his wrist was a thin, faint purple band. Snape had followed suit and Harry saw two symbols and a thick band that circled his wrist. Snape's band had an intricate pattern that looked woven into his skin and appeared to be two tone. It was quite beautiful and reminded Harry of some of the Celtic tattoos he had seen muggles wearing.

 

'It appears the magic thought that we were ones who needed to be bound to you rather than the other way around,' Snape said wryly and Harry grinned.

 

'Does this mean that you have to make my tea for the next seven years?' he asked cheekily and Remus laughed.

 

'Severus Snape, the teasmaid. I'm liking the image.'

 

'Watch it wolf. Your potions is particularly difficult to brew and easy to sabotage.'

 

Harry sniggered and focused his attention back on his water glass as Snape scowled and Remus smiled gently. The defence professor eventually cleared his throat and continued the explanation.

 

'It appears that the magic decided to focus on our roles within the bond, rather than the subjects that we will be teaching you. The symbols are a sort of Celtic shorthand. I know they look like runes but it is really just a collection of symbols that were used in ancient documents to speed up the recording of events. It's quite obscure but something I have been studying recently. It is likely something that the spell saw that in my thoughts and decided to use it. It took Albus and I a couple of days in the library to translate.'

 

'What do they mean?' Harry asked curiously.

 

Remus coughed and glanced at Severus before answering softly. He pointed to his own wrist.

 

'Well, this one means 'guide', and the other one 'teacher' and the band is a representation of my responsibility to you; and Severus's symbols...well. The top one translates as 'protector' or 'guardian' depending which translation you need and the bottom one means..' he trailed off and looked to the other man for permission.

 

Severus nodded curtly and Remus continued.

 

'...the bottom one means 'father'.'

 

Green eyes flew to black ones as Harry's thoughts raced. He had never seen Snape looking so grave or so hopefully as he watched Harry's reaction. Stunned, Harry could only nod in understanding. Father! The bond had marked Snape as his father.

 

Harry's glanced down at his own mark and fingered it lightly.

 

'...and...and this?' he asked faintly. Remus's expression softened and the compassion on his face was almost Harry's undoing.

 

'Yours means simply 'son'.' he whispered and Harry felt his eyes fill with tears and his throat thicken. He nodded again and glanced back to Snape who still watching him intently. Without conscious thought he leant forward and found the older man had done the same.

 

Face buried in Snape's shoulder he let the realisation wash over him. The ritual had marked them as father and son! Snape's arms tightened around him as he started to cry and he felt rather than saw as Remus moved quietly away. He finally had a parent; a real life living breathing father. It was overwhelming.

 

Many, many minutes later he allowed the professor to lower him down onto the pillows and tuck him in, shocked and also greatly moved to see that Snape's eye's were also red with tears.

 

'You should sleep some more Harry. I have a detention to oversee this evening so I will have to leave you for a few hours but I will be back immediately after dinner. The headmaster will be announcing to the school your apprenticeship this evening so it important that I am there. Will you be OK?'

 

Harry nodded tearfully and gave a weak smile.

'I'm more than OK. This is more...,' he swallowed nervously. '...more than I expected.'

 

'Me too,' Snape whispered hoarsely. 'I'm very honoured to call you son Harry and if I may request, you may call me Severus from now on. As an apprentice it is your right; even in class.'

 

Harry snorted in laughter. 'I can't wait to see the classes reaction to that!'

 

'Me neither. Messing with small minds is what gets me through the day.'

 

He ruffled Harry's hair and smoothed the covers. 'Go to sleep!' he commanded sternly and Harry closed his eyes with a grin, listening as his professors...no fathers footsteps echoed further away.

 

When Madam Pomfrey popped her head out of the office a few moments later to check on him, he was already fast asleep; a small smile still in place.

 

)O(

 

To be continued...
Chapter 23 by Kendra James
 

)O(

 

The great hall was buzzing that evening as the students piled in for their evening meal. The next morning was the first Quidditch game of the season and all of the previous terms training would be put to the test. The Ravenclaw v Slytherin game was highly anticipated; particularly as Slytherin had been forced to train an entirely new team with their rapidly dwindling house membership.

 

When the headmaster stood to make an announcement, there was little attention paid at first with the majority of the school assuming he would be doing his usual pre first game call for fair play but the sudden tension at the Gryffindor table quickly grabbed the rest of the students attention.

 

'Before we start our evening meal, I would like to give a few notices and tell you about an exciting development here at Hogwarts.' A hush descended rapidly over the hall whilst the lions smiled knowingly at each other. 'As you know, tomorrow marks the start of the Quidditch season and I expect all teams to conduct themselves with honour and fair play. I know many of you have trained hard through the winter and we all look forward to seeing the results of that hard work. Additionally, I would like to tell you that Hogwarts has decided to restart the ancient tradition of apprenticeships.'

 

A flurry of excited whispers broke out as the students processed this information and it took a rather pointed cough from Professor McGonagall to quieten the hall again.

 

'From next September,' the headmaster continued. 'There will be the opportunity to apprentice in Herbology, Divination, Potions, Defence Against the Dark Arts and Magical Healing. Whilst normally available for students who have taken their NEWT's, for those who are willing to work additionally hard there may be the opportunity to start an apprenticeship from sixth year onwards.'

 

Albus smiled as half of the hall automatically looked at Hermione Granger. He would be amazed if she wasn't knocking on his door tomorrow morning seeking the extra work.

 

'I should warn you that these positions are likely to be highly fought for and not only from current Hogwarts students. We are honoured to have seven Masters amongst our current teaching staff and this unusual circumstance has precipitated us renewing the apprentice tradition. I expect there will be many applications from students who have studied in other schools as well as our own. You will have to have shown a particular aptitude in your chosen subject to be considered for this honour.'

 

He looked around at the bright eyes in his sixth and seventh years, seeing the excitement reflected there and remembered his own time in school and the anxious wondering about his future and what he would do.

 

'I am also very pleased to announce that Hogwarts had already begun it's first apprenticeship. It will come as no surprise to any of you I'm sure that Harry Potter has recently bonded to Professor Lupin to apprentice in Defence Against the Dark Arts. In these troubled times we all wish him well as he seeks to develop his skills.' He paused to allow the whispered comments to die down, pleased to see the nods and smiles in the hall before he continued with the more controversial part of the tale.

 

'Mr Potter also has the ability to attune to magical energies, so he will study a side course in Potions. As the more experienced member of staff Professor Snape has kindly consented to hold the senior Master role within Mr Potters apprenticeship. Harry will be bound to both Professor Snape and Professor Lupin for at least three years and possible as long as seven. A rather serious commitment, I'm sure you all agree.'

 

He peered seriously over the top of his glasses at the now silent students. 'I trust that any of you considering such a commitment will think long and hard before applying. We all wish Mr Potter and his Masters well; now tuck in everyone.'

 

He clapped his hands and sat gracefully as the tables filled with food, glancing sideways at his Potions Master who had sat beside him for the evenings announcement.

 

Severus resisted the urge to smirk as he watched all the worried glances thrown his way from the student body. The Hufflepuff table in particular looked horrified and he wondered how they would behave with Harry from now on. Harry's own house seemed torn. If he wasn't mistaken there was a lack of the usual venom in the looks he was receiving from them. Many of those in Harry's year just looked worried which is as he expected and he was glad to see it.

 

Severus's own house were huddled together in small groups whispering away and he was grateful to the headmaster for mentioning Harry's attunement skills. His snakes always did extra reading in potions and would know exactly what that meant. He suspected any jealously was being overridden at the excitement of having such a rare gift in the current student body.

 

Minerva filled Severus's mug along with her own and turned to him with a smile.

'That seemed to go well Severus. No horrified screams or fainting.'

 

Severus turned to her and rose a sardonic eyebrow.

'Was there fainting and screaming in the house of lions last night?'

 

She snickered and shook her head. 'No although Colin Creevey did start crying. After hearing about Harry's ill family, I think he thought handing the boy over to you was the last nail in poor Harry's coffin.'

 

Severus chuckled and glanced at Colin. 'I will try and resist the urge to yell at Potter in front of your cubs, as tempting as it may be.'

 

Minerva patted his arm lightly. 'I hear Harry woke this evening. Have you had the chance to explain the marks?' Her voice was uncharacteristically soft and Severus inclined his head lightly.

 

'Yes, Lupin and I explained the bond marks and what we believe has happened. He took it well. I believe he was...pleased.'

 

There was a moments silence as the older woman blinked rapidly and cleared her throat before patting his arm once more and taking a big gulp of her hot drink.

 

It was several minutes before either if them glanced at each other again at which point Minerva added. 'I am very sorry to have lost Harry's guardianship so soon after finally getting my hands on the boy but I can't think of a better person than you to help Harry through what is coming. Congratulations Severus.'

 

'Thank you, ' he said quietly. 'It will be hard to act as though he is just my apprentice when he already feels...so much more.'

 

'I'm sure that won't be a problem Severus,' the woman said sternly. 'I have no doubt that if you had a son in the school you would treat him no differently in class,' she paused. 'Unless he was a Gryffindor of course.'

 

Severus chocked on his coffee. 'Well of course it goes without saying; if he was a lion I would have to punish him relentlessly.'

 

'...but not so for Harry.' Her words were so quiet he barely heard them.

 

'No... not for Harry; at least not any more. I regret that...,' he tailed off. There really were no words to describe his regret in regards to Harry.

 

'Eat your dinner Severus,' Minerva said bluntly. 'Worrying about the past never did any good and you need to look after yourself, especially when you are in constant pain.' She gave a pointed look at his left arm and Severus inwardly cursed as he picked up his fork and started on his meal.

 

He thought he had managed to hide the effects of the constant burning in his dark mark but it was clear his colleagues had not been fooled. In fact their reaction to him since the Christmas break was highly confusing. He had never felt so welcome in the staff room.

 

He was aware that Albus had told the rest of the staff about his unique role for The Order. Now that he was no longer an active spy, that story could be made public and he knew that had had an impact on his colleagues views. They all understood now why he had been so biased in awarding points but he wondered if it was his new found friendship with Harry that had really turned things around.

It was odd having Flitwick constantly popping by the dungeons to see how he was. Outside of emergency's he didn't think a single staff member had stepped foot in the dungeons for years. Now he couldn't get rid of them! They were popping by for 'tea', to borrow books; to check if he was OK and to ask his opinion on the more vulnerable children in their care.

 

Whilst a part of him loved the fact that for once he finally felt like he belonged; another part of him couldn't help but imagine setting his doorbell with the nastiest hex he could think of. That would keep the buggers away!

 

With a groan he realised how much worse it was going to be once Harry was a regular guest in his offices. Then he would have to deal with the boys fan club as well.

 

Scowling heavily, he stabbed his fork into a potato whilst the student body watched him nervously. By the time he had finished his meal he felt a lot more cheerful; mainly because Colin Creevey had started crying again. Reminded of all the opportunities the apprenticeship would give him to ruffle the house of lions, he put particular effort into his exit from the hall; sure to give his robes extra bounce. He suspected Harry would be getting lots of sympathetic visitors tonight.

 

)O(

 

Harry slept late on the Saturday morning; only waking when Remus arrived in the hospital wing with a late breakfast for them both. After a quick shower and check up from Madam Pomfrey he enjoyed a plate of croissants and honey with his defence tutor and listening with interest as Remus outlined his new schedule.

 

With a reduced course load, Harry would now have more free time during the day, but would be much busier in the evenings with three extra tutorials a week. Two would be with Remus and one with his new father. He would also be expected to hold extra duties with Remus and be a sort of assistant to him at times.

 

'We will need to work out the exact details Harry. I'm not sure what would be the best way to assist me. I would rather not have you marking essays as I don't think that will be particularly helpful in increasing your own skills.'

 

Harry shuffled nervously in his seat. 'Actually, I was thinking about that and I have an idea if you don't mind?'

 

Remus smiled warmly at his young charge. 'Please do Harry; this is your apprenticeship after all.'

 

Harry took a gulp of his pumpkin juice and swallowed nervously.

 

'Well, I know that you have been running lots of extra classes to try and catch everyone up on the terms work we have missed and...well sir, if you don;t mind me saying so; you seem really tired.'

Remus laughed. 'I think that's a fair comment. I fell asleep in my pudding at dinner the other night. Not the best look for a professor I admit. Harry, what's this Sir business? You know you can call me Remus now?'

 

Harry nodded and flushed. 'Yes S...Remus. Well anyway, lots of people have been asking me about a starting the DA again and Neville and I thought a general interhouse study group might be a better idea. Severus said he would sponsor us.'

 

'Yes, I have heard about this. I think it's a great idea. Were you still planning to teach defence?'

 

'Well,' Harry sipped his juice again. 'I was thinking that I could use some of the free sessions in my schedule to do practical defence classes with the younger years. It would mean that you could just cover the theory and then I could do the practical bits. Then you wouldn't have to have so many classes on your timetable; at least...until we are all caught up?'

 

Remus rubbed his chin thoughtfully. 'That could work although it will make your schedule rather full Harry. Do you think you could manage a whole class of students on your own?'

 

Harry nodded. 'The DA was almost a full class although Hermione helped a lot. I would be alright with the younger years I think. Maybe years 1 to 3. That would be three classes less on your timetable and if we include a defence section in the study group then you could drop the three Friday revision sessions.'

 

Remus let out a long breath and rubbed his face tiredly.

 

'Harry, this would be great if it works. I have sixteen classes a week at the moment. This would drop that to ten. How would you manage the revision section.'

 

Harry frowned, thinking it through. 'Well if we keep it to one big study group then we could use the room of requirements and ask it for a separate defence area. I could get the DA to help with that so we can keep people in small groups and I'm sure Professor Snape would help a bit too. He wanted to come along for the first term to make sure we didn't kill each other. I would need some help with the higher years though. I'm pretty ahead in defence when it comes to casting but I don't think my technique and theory is very good. I don't want to teach people bad habits and I don't think the seventh years would want to be taught by someone younger than them.'

 

'When that someone is you Harry, I wouldn't be so sure.' Remus said fondly. 'How about if I come every second week to do an advanced practical session for the sixth and seventh years? You were planning on a Sunday evening weren't you?'

 

Harry nodded.

 

'OK then, so we are talking about you taking over three classes a week and then holding a defence study group on a Sundays. Does that feel manageable?'

 

Harry nodded and grinned in excitement. He had been really worried about Remus and anything that allowed the older man to sleep a bit more was a great idea as far as Harry was concerned. He reached for a second croissant and enthusiastically smothered it in honey, excited about all the changes in his life.

 

'Will I have extra duties with Severus as well?'

 

Remus frowned whilst he thought through everything he had discussed with the other man.

 

'Well, you won't be expected to assist in the same way. The two evening classes you have with him will essentially be extra lessons that focus on your attunement skills and anything that complements the defence training. He may very well have extra things that he wants you to do but it shouldn't be any extra time on your timetable. I expect he will have you in a assistant role in your normal sixth year class though.'

 

Harry worried his lip thoughtfully, wondering about how the rest of the school were taking his new status and how different it may be with his classmates. He knew from the previous evenings discussion that everyone thought his family were too sick to look after him and that he was still carrying injuries from the department of mysteries. Only a handful knew about what his uncle had done to him.

 

'What are you thinking about? You look worried.'

 

Harry shrugged. 'I'm just hoping I'm not going to get stared at all over again. The whole school probably knows I lost it in the common room.'

 

Remus lay a comforting hand on Harry's arm.

 

'They all know you have been a bit unwell but that's perfectly understandable when so much has been going on at home. With the Slytherin house somewhat reduced things seem to be a little gentler around here. I think you will be surprised at the amount of support you receive.'

 

Harry frowned as he thought about Slytherin. 'Why hasn't Malfoy and his goons come back to school? Have they taken the mark already?'

 

Remus sighed sadly. 'Quite the opposite actually. You know that Lucius Malfoy and Crabbe and Goyles fathers were all killed?'

 

Harry nodded soberly.

 

'That has left their families in a rather precarious position. Many of them have fled the country to avoid Voldemorts wrath and some are missing. Theodore Knott is the only one who stayed and he was killed in an altercation last weekend. We don't know all the details yet.' Remus paused heavily and ran his hand through his hair. 'I believe the reality of the war has hit home for a lot of people these last few months. Nacissa Malfoy was hoping Severus would take responsibility for Draco but that wasn't possible whilst he was still spying.'

 

Harry glanced up curiously. 'Why Severus?'

 

'He's Draco's godfather, Harry.'

 

Harry's eyes widened in surprise. 'I didn't know that! Would Draco even accept that now that everyone knows that Professor Snape is on our side?'

 

Remus shrugged. 'I know that Draco refused point blank to take the mark, even before Lucius was killed. He may not exactly be light but he certainly isn't a death eater either. Voldemort told Nacissa that he would spare her life if she handed over Draco for a mission of some sort. Instead she fled the country with him but I think she feels he would be safer here.'

 

Harry snorted. 'He certainly couldn't stay in Slytherin!'

 

Remus smiled in agreement. 'No, hence Nacissa's request to Severus to take him under his wing. However this is all a mute point now; Severus has other duties.'

 

Remus ruffled Harry's hair, making it clear what, or rather who those other duties were and Harry blushed, reminded again of his new status in Severus's life.

 

They finished the rest of breakfast quietly and then Remus walked Harry back to the tower for the first time in a fortnight. He gave his new mentor a quick hug at the portrait hole and climbed in, relieved to find the room reasonably quiet.

 

It wasn't until he was unpacking his bag in his empty dorm that he remembered the game. Of course it was quiet; there was a Quidditch game going on! Harry piled on several more layers, his scarf and hat and then ran back down to the great doors.

 

He could hear the cheers the moment he stepped out into the cold air and he hurried to the Gryffindor stand, the excitement growing in his belly. He climbed the steep stairs and slipped through the crush looking for his friends. Ron's hair provided a nice landmark and he found Ron, Hermione and Neville half hanging over the banister as they yelled encouragement at the Ravenclaw team.

 

As expected, Hermione saw him first and he found himself with an arm full of excited Gryffindor.

 

'Harry!'

 

He hugged her back tightly and then slid in between his friends at the railings.

Ron stared at him apprehensively, his expression full of nervousness and was that a touch of fear?

'Are you all right mate?' the redhead asked seriously and Harry grinned.

 

'I'm fine Ron; great even. Your mum and dad were brilliant; you are so lucky.'

 

Ron blushed happily and gave Harry's slight figure an appraising look.

'You do look better Harry. I'm sorry I was...well, so useless.'

 

Harry frowned. 'What are you talking about?'

 

To his shock, his friends eyes filled with tears. 'You've been going through hell and I didn't know what to say or do. When I saw you so upset in the common room and then you just disappeared for two weeks...,' he scrubbed his eyes furiously. 'I thought something awful had happened and the adults were hiding it from us. Mum wouldn't let me come home to visit and we thought you might be sick again, like Christmas...I'm just...sorry.'

 

Harry grabbed his friend and hugged him tightly, touched beyond measure at Ron's words. He had never seen the boy cry before and realised just how scared he had been at the thought of losing Ron's friendship. The two teenagers laughed and then leant back against the railings. Hermione slipped her arm through his and leant her head against his shoulder happily.

 

Neville grinned at him over Hermione's head and then turned back to the game with enthusiasm. The game was furiously competitive and rapidly turning nasty when the Slytherin seeker suddenly shot up over one of the stands and returned moments later with the snitch held triumphantly in his outstretched hand.

 

This resulted in a draw which caused widespread groans from all the stands. The seeker looked confused which drew a few sniggers. He evidently hadn't realised that Ravenclaw had collected so many points or he might have held back on catching the tiny little gold ball.

 

The four friends sat chatting as the stands slowly emptied; Harry getting lots of pats on the back from his housemates and encouraging welcomes.

 

'Good to see you Potter.'

 

'Welcome back Harry.'

 

'You look much better.'

 

Harry nodded and smiled; sighing in relief when the crowds had mostly gone and it was just the four of them. Neville turned to face them with a wry smile.

 

'Are you really bound to Professor Snape?'

 

'Yeah Harry, how on earth did you end up in an apprenticeship?' Ron asked incredulously.

Harry grinned and moved back to sit on one of the benches before launching into his tale. He told them about the changes with his guardianship and the concerns about ministry interference. He explained about his slowly changing relationship with Severus and how his potions lesson over Christmas had uncovered the attunement skills. When he showed them the bond mark on his wrist and what they had meant, Hermione had sniffed loudly and given him a tight hug.

 

Neville paled a bit at that and asked quietly. 'Does this mean that Professor S..Snape is your dad now?'

 

Harry shrugged shyly. 'Kind of...I mean legally he is my Master and I am his apprentice but the magic decided something different. Remus said that the magic read our intentions and how we all really feel about each other. Whatever it means, at least the Ministry can't try and palm me off on some favoured pureblood family now.'

 

Hermione worried her lip thoughtfully. 'I will have to go the library and check but I'm sure that if a magic bond designates you in that way then it as valid as an adoption. I don't think anyone would be able to take you away from Professor Snape now.'

 

Ron and Harry exchanged a smile as they saw a familiar gleam in Hermione's eyes. They suspected they wouldn't be getting her out of the library for at least a week.

 

'There's one bit of this that I might need your help with?' Harry said seriously and launched into the plans for the Sunday evening study group. Neville quickly pulled out a folder from his bag and Harry could see that he had written a detailed plan for the headmaster. He scribbled away as Harry explained the Defence section he had agreed with Professor Lupin and Hermione was soon making notes too. Within minutes, Ron had agreed to talk to all of the old DA members and make up a rota so that at least three of them were available each week to help.

 

Hermione took on the task of approaching each of the professors in the school to ask if they would be willing to be available twice a term and create the rota for that.

 

'Eric Baxter has already said he will create some posters for all of the common rooms and talk to all the first years to encourage them to come.' Neville grinned happily as he reported this and Harry was reminded how much Neville had benefited from the DA the year before.

 

Ron shifted nervously. 'So we are going to have Slytherins in this group then?'

 

'Of course Ron,' Hermione said sharply. 'This is for all of the school.'

 

'Actually,' Harry said quietly. 'I think having as many Slytherins as possible is the main point of this whole thing. They look a little...well, lost just now.'

 

Neville nodded quietly. 'So when do we take this to the headmaster Harry?'

 

Harry smiled slyly. 'I think it's ready now, but I think that you should take it Neville.'

 

'M...Me?'

 

Harry nodded. 'Yes, I think this should be your project with us as your helpers. I know Eric will help you in any way he can and he said if we get the study group approved then he will petition to have it made part of the responsibility for the head boy and girl in the future so the group will continue after we have all left school.'

 

Hermione grinned and giggled whilst Ron thumped a dumbstruck Neville on the back. 'That's a wicked idea. You'd be brilliant mate.'

 

Neville looked back and forth between the three of them and then smiled nervously.

 

'What about all the stuff I don't know? I'm not a teacher like you Harry.'

 

Harry snorted. 'I don't agree with that Neville; you're brilliant at Herbology and really good at explaining things. I don't think I would have passed last year without you.'

 

Neville blushed and looked at his feet.

 

'Besides Neville, no-one's expecting you, or any of us to do all the teaching. It's a study group. The idea is that we all help each other, with the Professors visiting to help with the really tricky stuff. The only bit that you might teach in is Defence and I will be overseeing that as part of my new role.'

 

Neville straightened a bit in his seat and then nodded happily.

'OK then. I will go see Professor Dumbledore then.'

 

'You need Severus to sign it off first,' Harry reminded him, glancing at the incredulous looks he was getting from his friends. 'What! What did I say?'

 

'Severus!?' Ron exclaimed with a snort. 'I can't believe you just called Snape that.'

 

'Yeah, well...he's my dad now, although you can't tell anyone about that bit,' he added urgently. 'Not yet at least. Moldyshorts is already pretty pissed at him as it is; we don't want to make it any worse.'

 

'I will go and see Severus then,' Neville said earning another chuckle from Ron.

 

'I would be careful not to call him that mate; he'll be pickling you for next years potions ingredients before you can say Quidditch!' Ron added with a laugh.

 

Harry smiled happily at his friends who were watching him with a mixture of amusement and concern.

 

'What?' he asked with a laugh.

 

'You're shivering mate. I think we should get you back inside or Madam Pomfrey will be stringing us up by something painful.'

 

'Or Severus will get us,' Neville added cheekily as they all stood and made their way from the now deserted stands.

 

'Oh Merlin,' Ron exclaimed. 'He's not going to get all protective and paternal is he? Because that would just be disturbing.'

 

'Yeah, like your mum, but with greasy hair,' Neville laughed whilst Hermione hit him with her bag.

 

'Neville! That's rude.'

 

Harry and Ron chuckled before both shuddering at the mental image of a Mrs Weasley / Professor Snape hybrid stalking the corridors.

 

'Well that's my nightmares sorted for the rest of the term,' Ron muttered.

 

Stood in the bracing wind on the astronomy tower, Remus watched the four lanky teenagers trudging through the snow to the castle; their voices easily carrying up to his hiding place.

 

He smiled softly at their gentle teasing of Harry's new relationship with the Potions Master; relieved to see Harry's friends were taking it all in their stride.

 

Despite his still slight frame and pale colour, Harry looked more relaxed that Remus had ever seen him. He felt a little of the tense worry that had plagued him the last month drain away. James and Lily's boy finally looked as though he was healing.

 

What's more, after fifteen years of being forced to watch helplessly from the sidelines, Remus could at last do something to help. It was more than he had dreamt was possible.

 

He pulled his cloak tightly around him and happily headed down the steep curved stairs. If he was not mistaken the children would all be headed for the great hall for the traditional post match pancakes and butterbeer.

 

Remus wondered how Severus would react if he swung by the dungeons and encouraged his colleague to join in the fun? Well he could only try he thought with a smile. They were bound to each other and Harry after all. After that small miracle, Severus eating pancakes on a Saturday afternoon didn't seem so far fetched.

 

)O(

To be continued...
End Notes:
Apologies for issues with the formatting on previous chapters. I do preview but it often loses the spacing between preview and publish. Very frustating.
Chapter 24 by Kendra James
 

)O(

 

The next few weeks passed in a blur for Harry. His new schedule was not nearly as punishing as he had expected but it was still pretty full. Much to his annoyance, he had been two pounds short of Madam Pomfrey's weight target so he had been banned from flying in Gryffindors first game.

 

Ginny had taken the Seeker spot and done a great job although the Hufflepuff Seeker had beaten her to the snitch by a hairs breath. The scores were close enough for it not to be a complete disaster but it had still been a frustrating start to the season.

 

The headmaster had approved Neville's plan for the study group and the first Sunday session had been a roaring success with all four houses represented. There had only been thirty students there but that was a good start and Professor Snape had settled near one of the fires with a book and practically ignored them all for which Harry was very grateful.

 

Neville had done a great job and Seamus, Hermione and Justin Finch Fletchly had looked after the defence practice area. Harry had supervised for a bit and then seeing it was going OK, retreated back to a corner with Ron to do some of his own homework.

 

Harry had spent the extra free sessions preparing for the classes he was taking with the younger years. That part of his new role would begin on the following Monday and he was really nervous; especially as Professor McGonagall would be supervising his first few classes. He was pretty much following his DA notes, with a few additions that Remus and Severus had suggested to keep things in line with the curriculum.

 

He had been surprised at the response from the younger years when Remus had explained to them what would be happening. He had been bombarded in the halls by the first years in particular who wanted to know what they should study in advance and how he was going to teach the class. They seemed really excited and it helped calm his nerves somewhat.

 

His tutorials with Remus had been great and he couldn't believe how much more he was learning now that he was having one to one help. It was also a relief to be able to talk openly about Voldemort and ways that he might protect himself or even defeat the monster. Remus had assigned him lots of extra reading and Harry found that he was constantly carrying an arm full of books with him everywhere.

 

His weekly tutorial with Severus had been rather different that he expected. His first session, Snape had thrown a heavy coat and scarf at him and matched him out to the edge of the forbidden forest without a word of explanation.

 

Once there, they had sat silently in the dark whilst Harry tried and failed to 'see' the castles wards. By the end of the two hour session, Harry could feel and describe the buzz of the thick membrane but hadn't been able to visualize it.

 

There has been a moments excitement when they returned to the castle however. As soon as Harry had stepped into the hallway, he had been overwhelmed by the magical energy surrounding them. His sight had been blinded by yellow light and his knees had buckled beneath him.

 

When the buzzing in his ears had settled to a dull roar, he realized his professor was frantically calling his name and practically holding him up. He blinked confusedly at the scowling man before muttering.

 

'M' OK...it's just bright.'

 

'Bright?' Severus lowered him gently to the floor and knelt beside him.

 

'The castle is really bright...and loud!' Harry wiggled a finger in his ear and shook his head; the world slowly settling back into normal focus.

 

Severus gave a small smile. 'I apologize Harry. I mistook your failure to see the wards as a failure to attune. Clearly you attuned rather well. That must have been a bit overwhelming?'

 

Harry sniggered wryly. 'Just a bit. I think I might be blind'

 

He heard the man snort beside him. 'Don't exaggerate Potter; you're not a Hufflepuff after all.'

 

'Harry!' Hurried footsteps came thundering down the main stairwell and Harry looked up, blinking heavily as Remus moved to kneel beside the two prone figures, the headmaster following swiftly behind.

 

'What happened Severus?' the older man asked quietly and Harry winced slightly. He had managed to avoid every potential meeting with the man and didn't particularly appreciate being caught in such a vulnerable position.

 

Severus answered with an amused drawl. 'Our first lesson in attunement was a little too successful. I suspect a headache potion is in order.'

 

'Ah yes,' the headmaster said knowingly. 'She's rather beautiful isn't she? I was warned by Headmaster Dippet that attuning to the castle is a bit like exposing yourself to muggle drugs and should be done sparingly. He seemed to think it might make one a bit...eccentric to be close to her for too long.'

 

The was a moments pause and then the sound of three distinct sniggers. The headmaster frowned seriously whilst peering over his glasses, but Harry could see the amusement in his eyes.

'I dare say it explains much about me, yes?'

 

Harry blushed and looked away.

'I think I can stand up now,' he said quietly, allowing Severus and Remus to pull him to his feet where he swayed alarmingly for a moment.

 

'That was...well, wow.'

 

'There is still that offer of remedial English lessons Potter,' a dry voice uttered from his left.

 

Harry harrumphed and gave the man a playful swat on the arm, causing both of his colleagues to raise their eyebrows. When Severus responded by snorting with amusement and anchoring his arm around Harry's waist to keep him steady, Albus's eyebrows almost disappeared above his hairline.

 

'Come on brat. I will walk you back to the tower. I dare say you will trip over your own feet if left unattended.'

 

The two colleagues watched them leave in awed silence, Remus finally asking quietly.

 

'Did Harry just hit Severus?'

 

'He did,' the headmaster answered soberly.

 

'...and did Severus just laugh in response?'

 

Albus turned his sparkling gaze to his younger colleague and smiled broadly.

'I believe he did, yes.'

 

Remus shook his head, a small smile playing on his lips.

'I think this just turned into one of my favourite days, ...ever.'

 

The headmaster sighed happily. 'Nightcap Remus?'

 

Remus nodded and followed his boss in stunned silence. Just when he thought Harry couldn't surprise him any further, the boy did; again.

 

)O(

 

Harry was one of the first to breakfast the following morning and the only one at the Gryffindor table. He had come down early deliberately, so that he could spread his lesson plan out on the table and read through it one last time.

 

He was rather nervous about his first lesson. He would have the first year class of Slytherin and Hufflepuff and would be giving them a practical lesson detecting hexes on objects.

Professor McGonagall would be watching his class from the back and reporting back to Remus which was just plain terrifying. He glanced up as he saw movement from the teachers table and winced as he saw the headmaster heading his way.

 

'Good morning Harry. You are having an early start today.'

 

Harry nodded. 'Yes, sir. I have my first defence lesson today.'

 

The headmaster beamed at him proudly. 'I am sure you will do a wonderful job if last years DA is any indication.'

 

Harry smiled faintly and tried to look friendly but distant at the same time.

 

'Harry, I wondered if I might steal a moment of your time this evening? Perhaps after dinner in my office.'

 

Harry fought not to scowl. 'Of course sir, although I do have a tutorial with Prof...I mean Severus this evening.'

 

'Of course, of course,' the older man said. 'I will be sure to tell him you will be late.'

 

Harry glanced away in annoyance. 'I will see you this evening then sir.'

 

Albus looked sadly at his young student as the boy returned his attention back to the parchment in front of him. He wondered if the child would ever let him back into his confidence again.

 

Severely rattled at being cornered into a meeting with Dumbledore, Harry stomped off to his first lesson of the day. By the time his afternoon class had arrived, he had calmed down somewhat but it was certainly a distraction he didn't need.

 

Harry took a deep breath and walked into the Defence classroom, giving his head of house a nervous smile as she settled at the back of the room and made herself comfortable.

 

The first years trickled in, in twos and threes all chattering excitably. Harry rearranged his papers on the desk and magically cleared the blackboard at the front of the room, mainly to give himself something to do.

 

Ignoring his churning stomach, he turned to face the class and smiled broadly. To his relief the class immediately went quiet and turned small rapt faces towards him.

He swallowed nervously and launched in to his first ever official lesson.

 

'Good afternoon everyone, thank you for all being so prompt. As I expect you all know, my name is Harry Potter and I will be covering the practical part of your Defence against the Dark classes for the rest of this term. That means you will continue to have the theory classes with Professor Lupin on a Monday morning.'

 

Harry paused and took a sip of water before continuing.

 

'You may all call me Harry as I am not a Professor but I expect you to behave and listen as carefully as you would if Professor Lupin was here, and I should warn you I have been given permission to take points if necessary.'

 

Several of the young Slytherin's groaned at this and Harry smiled knowing they were expecting him to be biased towards Gryffindor. Well he would soon put that straight.

 

'Professor McGonagall will be sitting in for the first few lessons and possibly longer if necessary.'

 

The class fidgeted nervously and glanced towards the back of the class and Harry shared an amused smile with his head of house, remembering how scared he had been of her as a first year.

 

Harry spent the first ten minutes of the class reviewing the theory that Remus had covered in the previous lesson, being careful to award five points whenever any student answered a question correctly.

 

He noted the raised eyebrows and shared glances when he gave the first points to a Slytherin; pleased to see how the rest of the students house mates relaxed. Once he was sure that the class understood the two charms they were practising, he split them into groups of four.

 

'Now I want each group to choose one of the tables at the front of the class and take it in turns to practice each of the charms. No not touch any of the objects on the table unless you want a nasty surprise! The Weasley twins gave me the hex's for this class so you have been warned!'

 

There were giggles and snickers at this as even this class who had never met the twins had heard of their legendary status within the school.

 

'If the charm is successful you will see a glow surround the object. Make a note of the colour as this will help you identify what hex is on each object. There will be extra points for any group who can correctly identify all of the hexes.'

 

The class quickly broke into groups and there was an abundance of excited chatter as they practised the charms, broken by a squeal and then laughter as one of the small Slytherin's disappeared in a flash of light. In his place a small purple lizard was trembling on the floor.

 

Harry quickly made his way over and muttered the counter to the hex, leaving a dishevelled and confused boy sat on the floor.

 

'Alright, everyone, calm down,' he said with a laugh and then to the small first year. 'Congratulations, Mr Jenkins. You have just experienced first hand one of Fred Weasley's transformation hexes. When I said not to touch the objects I wasn't joking.'

 

He helped the young boy off the floor and then moved around the class, spending time at each table to correct wand movements and offer advice. By the end of the class all of the students had perfected the charms and two of the tables had correctly identified all of the hexes on their objects.

 

He awarded the appropriate points and carefully levitated all of the hexed objects into a shielded box so no-one was tempted to 'reallocate' them before dismissing the class.

 

'Well done everyone. Now you know how to check all of your belongings for hexes. Don't forget that a dark purple or black aura means you are dealing with a curse and would need help from one of the professors or older students. For homework, I would like you all to read the next chapter of your book which will look at removing different types of hex. Professor Lupin will be covering this in your next class so make a list of any questions you have about the chapter.'

 

The students all piled out and Harry moved to tidy his notes away with a relieved sigh. Professor McGonagall walked quietly past and gave his shoulder a squeeze as she left. Harry grinned. From her, that was practically a gold medal.

 

)O(

 

Harry was still grinning when he entered the great hall that night and made his way to his friends.

 

'Alright mate?' Ron greeted. 'No need to ask how your class went. '

 

Neville dropped his bag down with a clunk as he moved to sit beside them.

 

'I heard a couple of the Slytherin's talking in the corridor Harry. They said that they were going to check out the study group on Sunday as you had given forty points to Slytherin this afternoon so couldn't be all bad.'

 

Harry grinned as Ron scowled at him.

 

'Traitor,' the redhead muttered grumpily to amused sniggers around him.

 

'Don't worry Ron, I'm sure the first year Gryffindor's will do equally well tomorrow morning and Professor Snape gave points to us today so maybe it will even out.'

Hermoine said evenly whilst giving Harry an approving nod.

 

Neville watched Harry load his plate up and smiled gently. He wondered if Harry noticed how much better he was eating? It had always worried Neville that his house mate would nibble on small potions and often not finish his plate. It had not been uncommon for Harry to look a little green at the end of a meal.

 

A few trips to the library to look at medical books had led Neville to believe that the near starvation inflicted on him by the Dursleys' had probably left Harry unable to digest rich foods. Whatever the problem had been, it was clearly resolved now.

 

Harry told them about his first class and they all laughed at the little first year who had found himself a lizard for a few moments. Ginny shared about the many pranks Fred and George had played on her over the years and the sheer number of animal transformations involved had Harry howling with laughter.

 

They planned the next study group over pudding whilst Harry got increasingly nervous about his coming meeting with the headmaster. Ginny patted his knee gently.

 

'Harry? You zoned out for a moment there.'

 

He smiled at her. Ginny seemed to be much more relaxed with him this term and he wondered if her blossoming relationship with Dean was helping.

 

'I'm fine Gin, thanks. I have a meeting with the headmaster this evening and then a tutorial with Severus. I was just wondering what Dumbledore wants to talk to me about?'

 

'I'm sure he just wants to see how you are. You've had a difficult few months after all.'

 

Harry pushed his spoon around the pudding bowl, the last bit of chocolate sponge now looking less than appealing. He watched out of the corner of his eye as the headmaster finished his meal and left for his office, no doubt waiting for Harry to follow and sighed heavily.

 

'Well, I guess I had better get on with it and go see what he wants.'

 

Harry rose and smiled at his friends before walking slowly down the length of the Gryffindor table. He needed to collect his thoughts and make sure he was calm when he met Dumbledore. He didn't want to do anything stupid again; like destroy half of the man's office.

 

It seemed to take no time at all to reach the entrance to the tower and the Gargoyle jumped aside before he even had the chance to register that he hadn't been asked for the password.

 

Harry stood on the rotating stairs with his eyes closed whilst he practised the meditation technique Severus had taught him. He just hoped the man didn't ask him about the Dursleys', he didn't think he could cope with that.

 

He knocked on the large wooden door, pushing it open to the headmaster's 'Come in Harry.'

The older man watched Harry quietly as he entered the office and automatically went to sit opposite him by the fire.

 

'Good evening Sir, you wanted to speak with me.'

 

Serious blue eyes regarded the young man for a moment before nodding gently.

'Yes Harry I did. I wish to request your assistance with something.'

 

Harry noticed how Dumbledore paused, waiting for Harry's reaction and he fought to sit calmly, his hands folded in his lap and a polite but closed expression on his face. Behind the mask his stomach churned nervously.

 

The headmaster seemed to slump slightly at his lack of response and Harry found himself rattled at the sight of the older man taking off his glasses and wiping them wearily on a cloth. He seemed older, Harry realised. Old and tired. It was rather unsettling.

 

With a wave of his hand, Dumbledore conjured a pot of tea and two cups and took a moment to pour one for each before continuing. Throughout it all Harry sat calmly and counted to a hundred in his head to keep himself settled.

 

'Harry, I know that you found it very difficult to be kept in the dark last year and not explaining what was happening proved to be an unwise decision on my part.'

 

Harry nodded and held his tongue as an imagine of Sirius falling through the veil flashed through his head.

 

'I am seeking not to repeat that mistake again. What I am about to tell you is highly sensitive and has not been shared with anyone else, other than your new guardians. I must ask that it remains that way and that you resist the temptation to share this with your friends.'

 

He paused and waited for Harry to nod again, silently agreeing to the terms.

 

'Harry, have you ever heard of a Horcrux?'

 

Harry sat and listened in appalled silence as the headmaster shared his suspicions at just how far Voldemort had gone to escape death. By the time the full process of creating such an abomination had been fully explained, he felt sick to his stomach.

 

'So you think Riddle has made one of these things?' he asked in disgust and Dumbledore sighed heavily.

 

'More than one Harry. I believe the diary you destroyed in your second year was his first attempt, created with the death of young Mytle.'

 

Harry shuddered. 'How many times can you split your soul before destroying yourself?'

 

'That is unclear but it does go some way to explaining Tom's increasing insanity as the years have gone by. I had hoped that an old friend of mine might have some insight in young Tom's initial plans but sadly he was killed in an attempt to recruit him to the death eaters ranks over the christmas break.'

 

'Master Slughorn?' Harry asked, remembering the piece in the prophet about the retired potions master.

 

The headmaster nodded sadly. 'I have my suspicions about Tom's snake familiar Nagini as a possible horcrux and I know of several locations that appears to have been permanently changed by magic Tom has done in the area. It is the investigation of these locations in which I wish to ask your assistance.'

 

Harry's eyebrows rose in surprise as he considered the man's words.

'You want me to come with you?'

 

'Yes, Harry. I believe it is time that we started accepting that your part in the coming war will be a significant one. I wish I was able to give you more time to be a child but I fear our time is drawing short. It is my belief that if we are able to find and destroy these items then we may once more render Tom mortal.'

 

Harry nodded.

'When do you want to start looking?'

 

'I have a possible location and have Severus's permission for you to accompany me. Return here tomorrow evening dressed warmly and we will go and see if we can take one step closer to victory.'

 

Harry resisted the urge to snort in amusement at the headmasters theatrically worded speech. He knew the man was seeking to appeal to the Gryffindor side of him and he would be damned if he would let the man manipulate him again.

 

'I will see you tomorrow then Sir.'

 

Harry made to stand but was stopped by the headmasters sudden start in his chair. For a moment it looked as though he intended to reach out a hand but had thought better of it.

 

'Harry,' he said softly. 'Harry, are you well?'

 

There was a pleading edge to the man's voice that put Harry's teeth on edge.

'I'm fine Sir,' he said coldly.

 

The headmaster nodded sadly. 'Madam Pomfrey says you are almost in a normal weight range?'

 

Harry stood so abruptly that his chair toppled backwards, falling to the floor with a crash.

'I should go Sir. Severus is expecting me and I have a lot of homework to do.'

 

Dumbledore peered at him seriously over his spectacles for a moment before nodding softly. Neither man spoke as Harry walked swiftly to the door and almost ran down the spiral staircase to the corridor before, leaving Albus sat quietly in his armchair, a single tear sliding down his weathered face.

 

)O(

 

Severus looked up anxiously as the door to his quarters opened softly and his new apprentice padded in. They looked at each other silently for a moment and with a sigh, Severus conjured a pot of tea and a calming potion. There would be little work down tonight.

 

'I hope you didn't destroy his office again?' he said softly as Harry threw himself down at the kitchen table.

 

'I was perfectly polite,' Harry snapped and the older man winced at the cold edge to the boys tone.

 

Albus would likely be distressed again after that encounter, he thought with a sigh. Maybe the relationship between the two really was past redemption?

 

'You know he is devastated about what has happened to you, don't you?' Severus asked with an edge of censure in his voice.

 

Harry reached for the tea, ignoring the question and the reprimand.

 

'You know we are off soul hunting tomorrow?' Harry asked and Severus inclined his head slightly.

 

'I trust I don't have to caution you to be careful?'

 

Harry's expression softened at the worry in his new fathers voice. 'I will be. I'm relieved to be doing something to get rid of him actually. It feels better than just hanging around waiting for the next attempt on my life.'

 

'Umm,' Severus agreed. 'Waiting for the storm is always the hardest part in any conflict.' He took a sip of his tea and smiled gently at his charge. 'I have been hearing very good things about you first class today. It went well?'

 

Harry grinned. 'Yeah, really well. One of your Slytherin's got transfigured into a lizard. He was really cute!'

 

Severus chuckled. 'I heard. He has been telling anyone who would listen. I think he was rather chuffed once the shock wore off. I heard you were very fair handed with the points.'

Harry snorted. 'A lot fairer than you, that's for sure.'

 

Severus rose a sardonic eyebrow. 'I like my class mad. It makes the day more interesting and keep the Slytherin's complacent. They are less dangerous that way.'

 

Harry nodded thoughtfully. He didn't think he would ever be able to think the way that Severus did. All that intrigue would give him a headache.

 

'What did you have in mind for our lesson this evening,' Harry asked reaching for his notebook.

 

'I want you to finish your tea and work on any homework you have. I think your first day teaching a class is more than enough new material for one day. I want you back in your dorm and tucked in bed by half nine. That will be your new learning for the day. This wonderful thing the rest of us do called sleep!'

 

Harry blushed and glanced down shyly as Severus stood from the table and wondered off towards his desk, lightly squeezing Harry's shoulder on the way.

 

A warm glow spread through Harry's stomach as the sense of having a parent settled over him like a blanket. A parent who worried about him and sent him to bed early because he looked tired. A parent who told him off for being a brat to the headmaster but understood his reasons all the same.

 

He watched as Severus settled at his desk and started working on the small mountain of essays awaiting marking. If it had been Mrs Weasley she would have fussed about how pale he was; had kittens at the thought of him horcrux hunting and would never understand how he could be at odds with the great Albus Dumbledore.

 

Somehow, he had ended up with the perfect guardian. Harry smiled softly to himself feeling the last of the tension draining away from his shoulders and realizing with annoyance that his tea had been dosed with calming draught.

 

He pulled out a piece of parchment and his homework ledger and settled down to work.

 

Severus smiled as a feeling that seemed remarkably like contentment flowed through him. The small dungeon room was quiet and dark, the only light a small lamp on his desk, the candle Harry was working by and the flickering light from the open fire.

 

The sound of his son's quill scratching against the parchment filled the quiet space and the slight groans as the castles stones settled around them for the night.

 

He decided to put the worry about the mission Harry and Albus would be embarking on aside for a few hours and enjoy the moment. It was unclear how many of them there would be in the coming months.

Albus's revelation about the Horcrux's had horrified him. As had the concerns the headmaster had about Harry's scar. It was the first time he had felt sorry for the werewolf as Remus had run from the room and vomited in the stairwell at the thought that Harry might have that kind of connection to Riddle.

 

Severus had stood resolutely behind Remus as the man had calmly informed the headmaster that he would have to kill both of them before he ever harmed a hair on Harry's head. Severus had stood in quiet agreement as the headmaster had quietly whispered that he hoped it never came to that.

 

Severus chuckled to himself as he recalled the rest of the conversation; Remus's quiet. 'I believe they are always looking for Masters in America Severus; perhaps we should consider a change of scene?'

 

'Mmm, you may have an idea there Lupin. I have always liked the idea of a more temperate climate.'

 

The headmaster had sighed softly. 'My boys, this is all theory at the moment. I would never harm Harry, you know that.'

 

'More than you already have,' Remus stated coldly as the older man flinched.

 

Glancing back to the young teen working on his homework, Severus shuddered at the thought that a piece of Voldemort might be in the room right now. He was comforted by the fact that Remus was likely to be holed up in the library for the next few months looking for a solution.

 

At least tonight there was some peace for all of them. He turned back to his essays with a grimace. Work called.

 

)O(

 

To be continued...
Chapter 25 by Kendra James
 

)O(

 

Sleep did not come easily that night for Remus. He lay on his side watching the remains of the fire's embers glowing into the small hours. He had felt the weight of his responsibility towards Harry fall on him like a heavy blanket as Dumbledore had described the Horcrux hunt. He had asked their permission to take Harry with him on a series of missions and Remus was seriously regretting agreeing.

 

Whilst the headmaster's reasoning had been sound, that had been in the warm light of day, before the fact that Harry was only sixteen had re invaded Remus's thoughts; that and the memory of James and Lily giving their very lives to keep their son from harm.

 

By three in the morning, Remus had given up on the idea of sleep and got up to stoke the fire and dig out a bottle of Whiskey. He had just settled on the coach to brood when a soft knock sounded at his door. Wrapping a shawl around his shoulders, he shuffled over and opened the door, surprised to find a rather grumpy looking potions master standing there.

 

The two men stared at each other for a moment before Remus handed over his freshly poured glass and padded back to his place on the sofa. Severus silently followed and fell into the armchair opposite, watching as his frail colleague waved over a second glass and filled it.

 

'What the hell were we thinking?' he spat out into the quiet room and Remus snorted in response.

 

'We weren't.' He stated bluntly. 'We were being handled; Dumbledore's special gift I believe.'

 

'I could change my mind. Test how much this guardianship is worth in our esteemed headmasters eyes?'

 

Remus laughed. 'Except it wouldn't work.' Severus raised a questioning eyebrow and Remus explained.

 

'Harry knows now. If he gets excluded at this point he will just hide himself away under James's cloak and find a way to get there anyway. He hates being excluded, you know that.'

 

There was a long silence after this as both men tried and failed to think of a way to get Harry out of the day's mission. The fire crackled gently and a small pop announced a tray of tea and toast as one of the house elves attempted to stop what promised to be a good drinking session. The two men exchanged an amused glance before reaching for more whiskey.

 

The next hour passed quietly with each man lost in his own thoughts.

 

'Why did you hate us so much?' Remus asked bluntly, disturbing the silence.

 

Not even bothering to pretend he didn't understand the question and finding his tongue loosened by the Whiskey, Severus laughed out load.

'You ask that after what the four of you did to me?'

 

'No,' Remus protested. 'Before that. You hated James and Sirius long before we started pranking you. You used to practically snarl at them every time you passed us in the corridor.'

 

Severus rolled the amber liquid in his glass around as he considered the question.

 

'They were everything I hated; Rich, spoiled, loud. All you could hear at dinner was Black's voice.'

 

'You misunderstand them still you know.' Remus stated quietly and Severus snorted.

 

'Really? Pray tell oh great wise one.' Severus's voice spat sarcasm in a way that made Remus wince. It had been a while since his colleague had spoken to him in that tone.

 

'Sirius's mother used the Crucio as a training tool when he was young,' Remus almost whispered, noting how Severus stilled and turned watchful eyes to him.

 

'By the time he got to Hogwarts he had permanent nerve damage in his hands. He struggled to even hold a Quill sometimes. All that noise and bravado was his way of coping. James was the first one who realised that something was badly wrong for him and became very protective, very quickly. He would never hear a word said against Sirius and I guess that's how our rather unique dynamic started.'

 

Severus watched at Remus stared at the fire, his thoughts far away.

 

'You seemed an unlikely member of their little gang,' he observed flatly, trying to keep the bitterness out of his voice.

 

Remus nodded. 'I wasn't a member really, not at first. They got on with everyone in our house pretty well but I started helping Sirius with his homework. He would dictate his essays to me and I would write them to spare his hands. Once my little secret came out then I came under their protection. James collected all the troubled members of the house and looked after us. That's how Peter got added; no-one else really wanted him.'

 

Severus winced at that. That had been him in Slytherin; not a pleasant comparison, he thought bitterly.

 

'So that's what brought me to your attention then. I wasn't part of the fan club so was therefore fair game?'

 

Remus shook his head sadly. 'We pranked everyone Severus. It only became so personal with you because you took it so badly. We never normally singled individuals out.'

 

Severus glared. 'I think you are doing a little bit of history tampering there wolf. Lily was pranked every day for a whole term in our fourth year.'

 

Remus smiled faintly. 'Yeah, she was,' he said softly, his eyes glowing amber in the fire. 'Lily, Amelia Bones and you. The three people we somewhat targeted.'

 

Severus frowned. 'What had Amelia ever done to do?'

 

'Nothing, but Sirius was trying to catch her attention and I was trying to catch yours.'

 

Their was a moments pause and then Severus slammed his glass down on the table with a bang.

 

'Tell me you are joking!'

 

Remus flushed red and looked down at his glass. 'Don't worry Severus, it was just a schoolboy crush. One that I am well over now. I realise how disgusting it must be to you to know the school wolf had a crush on you. I think Siri and James thought that getting you mad would force us to interact and hoped I would take the initiative from there.'

 

Severus leant back against the chair with a long sigh. All this time, he had thought they were singling him out for ridicule and they had been trying to set him up with their friend.

 

'That was a bloody stupid plan,' Severus mumbled and Remus laughed.

 

'It worked for James and Sirius. Siri and Amelia were close to getting engaged before..., well, before that Halloween. When it didn't seem to be working with you Sirius tried to get me to approach you but I wouldn't. I was convinced that anyone who found out about my condition would immediately run for the hills. Sirius tried to force the issue by luring you to the shack that night. I think he thought that once you knew then everything would be fine.' Remus sighed heavily. 'I think he never really understood just how dangerous I am. It was all a grand adventure to him.'

 

Severus brooded darkly trying to curb his anger towards his colleague. He had gone through seven years of hell in school because of this man's crush. As if reading his thoughts, Remus spoke softly into the quiet night.

 

'I'm truly sorry Severus. I should have stopped all that nonsense at the first opportunity. If it's any comfort none of us ever really got over that night. James and Sirius's relationship was never the same and I still have nightmares about what could have happened.'

 

'I notice none of you were punished,' Severus spat and Remus laughed out loud.

 

'Are you joking!? Sirius had two months detentions and a years ban from Quidditch. Minerva wrote a letter home to his parents and when he got home he was beaten so badly he spent the entire summer holiday in St Mungo's. He never went home again after that. Albus was just careful to keep the details secret that's all.'

 

'So you're pathetic little secret didn't come out,' Severus muttered and Remus sighed.

 

'Would you really have wanted me executed?' Remus asked quietly with a trace of hurt in his tone.

 

The potions master sneered. 'That's a little dramatic isn't it?'

 

There was a moments silence. 'Lea Adams,' Remus whispered and at his colleagues raised eyebrow added. 'She was a girl from my home town who was bitten in the same attack I was. She was a year younger than me and never came to Hogwarts. The month before our little incident in the shrieking shack she escaped her pen on the full moon. She got out into the town and scared a few folk. Her father found her and stunned her before anything could get out of hand. However, the Ministry decided the near miss was reason enough to take her into custody. She was gassed to death four days later.'

 

Severus stared at the man in shock. 'The Ministry executed a teenager who had never injured anyone?'

 

Remus nodded soberly. 'Albus made it very clear to us that in any other circumstances, endangering a fellow student like we did you would result in at least suspension. If he had done that then the board of directors would have had to be involved. I would have been detained and killed, Sirius would likely have gone to Azkaban and it is possible Albus himself would have been prosecuted. He took a big risk allowing me to come to Hogwarts in that political climate.'

 

Severus let out a shaky breath and lay his head back against the headrest of the chair. He had come so close to reporting them all to the Ministry, or at least telling Lucius what had happened. He had had no idea that to do so would have been a death sentence for the other boy.

 

He was also rather shaken by the information that Black had been almost beaten to death as a result of the incident. Knowing what he did about that family, it shouldn't really surprise him, but he had never really considered the impact of Blacks stance against against his family politics. No wonder the man had been so unhinged.

 

'I'm sorry Severus,' Remus repeated quietly and after a small pause Severus nodded in acknowledgement, his eyes still closed as he rested against the chair.

 

He filled his glass once last time and levitated a log into the fire, regarding his scruffy colleague as his yellow eyes stared at the flames.

 

'What made you think I was that way inclined?'

 

Remus smiled softly. 'There were lots of rumours about you and Lucius. I personally thought it was ridiculous to think you would choose a poor, half breed over the rather resplendent Malfoy, but the boys thought otherwise. They said anyone who spent as much time on his hair as Malfoy would never stay with someone who was clearly allergic to shampoo.'

 

Severus snorted into his whiskey and threw Remus an amused look. He could clearly remember Lucius's advances. The older boy had been rather persistent.

 

'It was a recruitment tool for Luc,' Severus said quietly. 'A bit like Potter really. He would single out anyone he thought isolated and woo them. Instead of adding them to his gang like Potter, he would romance them for a bit, add them to his personal harem and then introduce them to the Dark Lord. Once they were initiated he would drop them. He never had any luck with me in that area. I really have never swung that way.'

 

Remus nodded sadly and then added dramatically. 'All those teenage hormones wasted on you; it's tragic really.'

 

Severus scowled but Remus could see the amusement in the man's eyes.

 

'I would never have guessed that was going on. I thought I detected a certain tension between you and a certain accident prone auror?'

 

Remus tensed and looked away. 'Yes well, that's a little one sided.'

 

Severus rose a sardonic eyebrow at that and Remus blushed and shifted in his seat.

 

'If you say so,' Severus drained his glass and stood up, stretching and glancing out the window at the small pink band on the horizon that signalled the coming dawn.

 

'I will bring a sobering potion and pepper up to breakfast for you. It's been a while since I skipped a nights sleep and will certainly need one myself.'

 

Remus nodded in thanks and continued to stare at the fire. Severus got as far as the door before turning and looking back at the pale man.

 

He paused a moment and frowned as he considered his words. 'I never liked Black and doubt I ever would have, but...I regret my part in his death. I knew my taunts were hitting home but always thought his sense of responsibility towards Harry would restrain his actions. I did not anticipate that events would converge in the way they did.'

 

He left quietly, the large wooden door swinging shut behind him and Remus stared a long while at the closed door, the taste of regret on his tongue. Things could have been so much better for all of them.

 

He capped the whiskey bottle with a sigh, wincing at the small amount left. He had only broken the seal on it that day. Today was going to be a long day and tonight Harry would be going heavens know where with the headmaster.

 

Remus left his shawl on the sofa and stoked up the fire before padding through to the shower. Thank heavens Harry was taking his second year class today. He didn't think he would have been able to cope with three classes.

 

)O(

 

The Gryffindor table was buzzing with talk of Harry's class that evening. Harry himself sat quietly eating his soup and trying to ignore all the muttering. Neville had smiled sympathetically and dropped down beside him.

 

'Was it ok?' the boy asked quietly and Harry nodded.

 

'A bit harder than the first years but yeah, it went alright. We were practising disarming spells so very much like last years DA. I got a bit of cheek from some of the kids though.'

 

Ron snorted. 'Not from our house I hope?'

 

'Nope, but I had to take some points. I think McGonagall approved but I feel horrible about it.'

 

Ron grinned. 'Taking points from a rival house; well done mate.'

 

Harry rolled his eyes and returned to his soup, watching as Neville did the same.

'Are you ok to take the lead in the study group again this Sunday?'

 

Neville smiled shyly. 'I think so. It's been going ok so far. Are you leading the Defense section.'

 

Harry grinned and pushed his empty bowl away. 'Nope! We are covering blasting curses so I have got the best person I know on it.'

 

'Who's that?' Ron asked around a mouthful of mash and Harry answered with a smile.

 

'Ginny.'

 

Ron chocked on his food. 'Ginny! I thought this weekend was the advanced one with the higher years?'

 

'It is and Remus, er I mean Professor Lupin will be there for the first half but Ginny will be leading it. She knows every blasting hex, curse and charm taught in school and Charlie taught her a few that aren't covered. She's brilliant at all of them; much better than me.'

 

Ron glanced down the table at his sister, impressed that she was going to be teaching seventh years. It seemed as though there was a wealth of opportunity for extra responsibilities at the moment. Ron was just relieved he had managed to make the Quidditch team this year. He looked back at his friend who was chatting with Neville and Luna.

 

'Harry,' he whispered urgently. 'Are you going to be able to play on Saturday?'

 

Harry grinned at the panicked look on Ron's face.

'I don't know. I have to check in Madam Pomfrey in the morning. I was only one pound short of her target before and I have been eating an extra muffin every day since then to try and get some weight on. I think as long as I haven't lost anything she will probably clear me to fly.'

 

Ron grinned again and reached for a dessert bowl, offering Harry one as well. Harry shook his head.

 

'Thanks mate but I am going to go and eat dessert at the Slytherin table.'

 

A sudden hush descended on his half of the table as everyone looked at him questioningly.

 

Harry shrugged. 'What? We've all been eating at other tables.'

 

'Yeah, but mate...with the snakes?'

 

Harry stuck his tongue out at his friend and climbed to his feet.

'I will see you all later guys. I have an appointment with Dumbledore after dinner so will be a bit late.'

 

Ron and Neville nodded seriously, having been told a little bit about what he would be doing the night before. They only knew that he was leaving the grounds, not that he was off hunting bits of Voldemort's soul.

 

'Be careful mate,' Ron said quietly and Harry smiled.

 

'With Dumbledore or with the snakes?'

 

'Both,' Ron said solemnly and Neville laughed.

 

'See you later Harry.'

 

Harry walked over to the Slytherin table trying to radiate confidence and normalcy. In truth he was a bit nervous about this but had been looking all week for an opportunity. The young first year who had been turned into a lizard in his class the day before was sat by himself at the end of the table so Harry approached him.

 

'Hello there, may I join you?' he asked kindly and the young man jumped and gave a little squeak.

 

'O...ok,' he croaked and Harry slid in opposite him. The rest of the table threw curious looks his way but he couldn't detect any obvious hostility.

 

'How are you?' Harry asked gently. 'No ill effects from your transformation yesterday?'

 

The boys face lit up. 'No, it was wicked!' He grinned brightly and indicated his housemates with a wave of his hand. 'Everyone wanted to ask me about it last night. There is a study group in Slytherin at the moment of kids wanting to become animagi but no-ones managed it yet. They wanted to know what it felt like to be another animal.'

 

'Shh,' one of the kids sat near by threw a bread role at the young snake and sent a threatening glare his way.

 

'Really?' Harry asked in his most friendly voice, ignoring the worried looks that were being exchanged. 'You should ask Professor Lupin to help. My dad and his friends all learnt how to be animagi in school. They used to keep Lupin company on the full moons.'

 

A few of the Slytherins' slid down the bench to listen in, their expressions turning from suspicion to curiosity.

 

'How long did it take them to manage the transformation?' one of the 7th year snakes that Harry didn't know asked.

 

'I think they were in fifth year so maybe a couple of years but they were just working off the books. They didn't have any teachers helping them. McGonagall would be your best bet but I don't know if she would approve or not. Lupin is more likely to turn a blind eye I think.'

 

The students exchanged glances, looking impressed and throwing the odd speculative looks at the staff table.

 

'Do we even want to know what's going on down there?' Remus asked with a chuckle and beside him the two head of houses stifled groans.

 

'I suspect not Remus,' Minerva said sharply. 'Sometimes ignorance really is bliss.'

 

Back at the Slytherin table, Harry had gained a rapt audience.

 

'Is it true you can make yourself invisible?' One of the first years asked and Harry laughed.

 

'Not exactly but I do seem to have a knack for sneaking about.'

 

'What about the Basilisk and the Chamber of Secrets? What happened there?'

 

Harry looked down the table at the twenty or so rapt faces and smiled to himself. This had gone better than he ever imagined. 'Did no-one ever tell you that story?'

 

They all shook their heads and Harry chuckled.

'Well someone pass me a treacle tart then and let me rectify that.'

 

As one of the prefects put two tarts and some custard on a plate for him, Harry launched into the tale, watched not just by the Slytherins' but most of the hall who were craning their necks to see what was going on.

 

Dumbledore leant over to address his potions master who had looked rather pale and tired all day.' Severus, could you tell Harry to report to my office for eight in warm clothes? Don't interrupt though. Your house seem to be enjoying his company.'

 

Severus nodded absently as the headmaster stood and walked from the hall, smiling as he felt the castle throbbing happily beneath his feet. It amazed him the impact that one young boy could have.

 

)O(

 

Harry arrived at the Gargoyle at five to eight and sighed heavily. This would be twice in two days he had been forced to interact with the headmaster and he hoped it wasn't about to become a pattern. Combined with the nerves at what they would be doing, Harry was starting to wish he hadn't eaten quite so much at dinner.

 

He rode the stairs up to the office, taking a moment to adjust the straps on his backpack. He had decided to change into muggle clothes and had an extra jumper and cloak in his bag, along with some chocolate and water. He really had no idea what Dumbledore had planned.

 

An hour later Harry was shivering in the frigid spring air as he watched the headmaster pull down the last of the wards around the Gaunt house although the term house was stretching it a bit. His back pack was a fair bit heavier now with the Sword of Gryffindor sticking out of the top, as well as several potions that Dumbledore had added.

 

The ward fell and the older man crept forward, whispering spells every few minutes. The sheer number of booby traps, curses and hexes were incredible and it seemed an age before they had finally made it all the way into the hut and retrieved the small wooden box that had been hidden behind a brick in the wall.

 

Harry had handed over replenishing potions to the headmaster every ten minutes or so, the only indication of the toll it was taking to break through all the dark magic.

 

Dumbledore cast one last spell and then cautiously opened the box, revealing a small ring sat in a green pillow. He exchanged a look with Harry and beckoned him over, pointing at the small crest that was stamped on the edge of the ring.

 

'The Gaunt family ring,' he muttered soberly. 'This is most certainly it.'

 

Harry moved closer and then quickly backed off as his scar burned painfully. He gasped, rubbing his forehead in irritation.

'Yep, definitely it,' Harry confirmed, watching as the headmaster reached for the ring and lifted it from the small box.

 

'It can't be,' he muttered, turning the ring to catch the light. 'Dear Merlin!'

 

'What is it Sir?' Harry watched as Dumbledore ran a finger longingly over the stone.

 

'After all this time...I never imagined.'

 

Harry watched in confusion and then growing alarm as the older man stood seemingly mesmerised by the small ring and then moved to slide it on his finger.

 

'Sir! No!' Harry leapt forward, attempting to knock the ring out of the headmasters hand but he was a fraction too late.

 

A moment later the air was split by Dumbledore's agonised scream as he fell to his knees.

 

'Professor!'

 

Harry caught him in his arms and tried to pull the ring off the man finger, ignoring the familiar pain that tried to cleave his forehead in two. When that failed, he grabbed his wand.

 

'Accio ring.'

 

The ring flashed but didn't move and Dumbledore groaned in agony.

 

'Sir, we have to get help.'

 

The headmaster beckoned him and lifted his uninjured arm. Understanding, Harry placed his hand over the older man's and braced himself as they both apparated away.

 

A moment later they slammed down painfully onto a stone floor and Harry looked around in confusion. The small stone room had no windows and one rusty metal door in a far corner.

 

'S..safe...house,' Dumbledore hissed breathlessly. 'Didn't mean to bring us here...must have remembered...' he tailed off and slipped down the wall until he was sat clumsily on the floor.

 

Harry pulled off his backpack and dropped to his knees beside the headmaster. He gave the man an apologetic glance and then grabbed the ring, dragging it painfully and slowly of the blackened finger. Harry threw it away across the floor and slumped beside his headmaster.

 

The stench of burnt flesh and dark magic slowly flooded the room, making Harry feel sick to his stomach. He could hear quiet whispering in his head, promising riches and success, promising impossible things. Images of Sirius and his parents faded in and out the darkness, promising him they would return, they would love him...if he would just...put...the...ring...on.

 

Harry closed his eyes and sought to occlude his mind, trying to remember the techniques he had read over the previous summer. Nothing seemed to block out the voices.

 

Gathering his courage and forcing himself to ignore the whimpering man beside him, he grabbed the handle of the sword and drew it from the bag before staggering over and swinging it with all his might at the ring in the centre of the floor.

 

There was a high pitched scream and a black cloud erupted from the shattered stone before blowing out in a rush of wind and pressure. Harry was thrown across the room, impacting sharply against the far wall before crashing to the floor. He curled into a ball as the floor and walls shook fiercely, great clumps of the stone work collapsing down and littering the floor.

 

It was several minutes before the shifting earth settled and Harry cautiously lifted his head. There was still a tiny slither of light from the single remaining torch that hadn't been destroyed. The ceiling had almost completely collapsed and the door had been obscured by a mound of debris.

 

Harry crawled over to Dumbledore and cleared several of the larger stones that had fallen on the man's lap.

 

'Professor, Professor can you hear me?'

 

The man groaned but did not reply and Harry sat back, allowing panic to set in for the first time.

 

They were trapped in an underground room and Dumbledore was badly injured. He had no idea where they were and didn't know how to apparate.

 

All in all, things were about as bad as they could get.

 

Harry pulled the older man into his arms and wrapped his spare cloak around them both, allowing his thoughts to drift to his new guardians.

 

Severus would find them, he thought; clawing on to a small bubble of hope that blossomed in his chest. Severus would know what to do.

 

)O(

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

To be continued...
Chapter 26 by Kendra James
Author's Notes:
I have five more chapters for you! Will add one a day for the next week. I have not been able to upload on this site for months as it kept freezing each time I tried. A bit of a bad interaction between open office and the software here I think. Anyway, apologies for the wait.
 

)O(

 

Severus paced the floor of his office, one eye on the cauldron bubbling away in the corner and one eye on the clock. It was now 11.15 pm and Minerva had promised to inform him the moment that the headmaster checked in. Harry and Albus had been gone for exactly two hours and forty six minutes.

 

He knew he was being ridiculous. There would be a large number of wards and curses protecting the horcrux and there really was no better curse breaker in the world more skilled than Albus. The rational part of him knew the duo would be unlikely to return before daybreak.

 

The irrational part of him wanted to have Harry right here; in his pyjamas and ready for a normal nights sleep in Gryffindor tower. He also wanted to yell at the boy...quite loudly...for a long time. In one of those brief moments of clarity that can assault a person with no warning, he had a sliver of insight into his teaching style. Filing that nugget away for further examination at a later date, he sighed and looked longingly at the drinks cabinet.

 

Having not slept for close to forty hours, he knew that alcohol was a really bad idea just now. Especially as it had required three pepper-ups to get through the day.

 

A solid knock on the office door broke his reverie and he stormed over, ready to give Albus a piece of his mind, only to find Minerva on the other side of the door wearing a particularly fierce expression.

 

'What!' he threw out, recognising that the witch was not here to report the headmaster back safely and chomping on lemon drops.

 

The witch look pointedly at the room behind him which he had been blocking from view with his tall frame. With a huff, he moved aside allowing her access to his quarters.

 

She stormed in and seated herself on one of his navy chesterfield sofa's, leaving him no choice but to sit opposite her. He crossed his arms and gave her a pointed look as if to say 'Well?'

 

Minerva pursed her lips.

 

'I want to know what's going on Severus. It is now past curfew and one of my students is merlin knows where with a crackpot headmaster who should know better.'

 

Severus sat silently, watching the elderly witch brood and reflecting on how much stronger her highland accent was when she was pissed. He was saved from answering by another knock on his door. This was softer and one he was beginning to recognise.

 

He waved his hand and the door flew open with a bang.

 

'Come in Lupin,' he barked in a tone that made it clear this was a chore for him.

 

Remus padded in to the study and placed a brand new bottle of whiskey onto the low table before the fire, smiling a greeting at the deputy headmistress.

 

Severus sighed and giving up, strode over to his drinks cabinet, removing the wards that protected it from his more adventurous students with a wave of his hand. He removed a bottle of brandy and three glasses and levitated them back to the table.

 

'No offence Lupin, but another evening on that gut-rot will likely be the end of me.'

 

Minerva huffed in offence. 'That's a 15 years old single malt Severus. Honestly, where are your manners?'

 

'Yes well, another thirty years would not make it any gentler on my stomach. There is clearly a reason why the Scots are so bad tempered.'

 

The elderly woman scowled at him and pointedly poured herself and Remus large glasses of the amber liquid before sitting back and fixing them both with a deadly stare.

 

'I will ask you again now Remus has joined us; where are Harry and Albus?'

 

There were a few minutes silence as both men exchanged a considered look. Maybe it was the memories of being schoolchildren under the this formidable matriarch but it didn't take long for them to cave and Severus gave a curt nod to his colleague.

 

Remus quietly rose and started casting privacy and defensive wards around the room. When he then moved on to check for animagi, listening charms and hidden devices, Minerva's eyebrows disappeared under her hairline.

 

'What on earth is going on Severus?'

 

Severus waited for his colleague to join them again and then quietly outlined what Tom Riddle had done to make himself immortal. The elderly witches expression morphed from confusion to horror as the implications became clear.

 

'So he can't be destroyed until all of these things are gone?'

 

Remus picked up the story. 'His body can be destroyed, effectively returning him to wraith form again but as long as he has a single horcrux he can be resurrected.'

 

Minerva took a large gulp of her whiskey before returning the glass to the table with a shaky hand.

 

'Explain to me why Albus is dragging along a sixteen year old boy with him on this quest?'

 

The men exchanged glances again and Remus continued, tentatively picking his way through the minefield of information they had been given.

 

'You have seen all the stuff The Prophet has been spouting about the chosen one?'

 

Minerva nodded.

 

'Well, there is an element of truth to that. There is..' Remus sighed. 'There is a prophecy...' He trailed off looking helplessly at Severus. Both men were acutely aware that they weren't meant to be sharing this information.

 

'About Harry?' She questioned. 'Since when do any of us believe in prophecies?'

 

'Since the Department of Mysteries ratified it.' Severus answered quietly and Minerva took a deep shaky breath.

 

'That's what you were all guarding last year? Is Harry mentioned by name?'

 

Remus shook his head. 'No, but the scar that Voldemort gave him identifies him as the subject of the prophecy. It basically states that Harry is the one who will or should I say can beat Voldemort.'

 

Minerva's appalled expression flew between the two men.'He's just a boy!'

 

'This Prophecy was made before he was even born Minerva. It's the reason James and Lily went into hiding in the first place.'

 

Remus reached for his glass before continuing. 'Voldemort doesn't know all the details which is why he is so desperate to hear it. Thankfully Harry destroyed it last year but it makes anyone who knows the details a target.'

 

'Does Harry know?' She asked shakily and when Remus nodded she added a very colourful word to the discussion.

 

'He doesn't need that hanging over him,' she spat and Severus nodded in agreement.

 

'He doesn't but it became inevitable that he would hear the details. Had he been told earlier we might have avoided losing Black last year. Harry is at the centre of this whole mess whether he likes it or not. I think Albus has made the decision that involving him fully is the best course of action. Neither of us are very pleased about that.'

 

'..and this evening,' she asked, returning to her original question.

 

'Albus has a lead on one of the horcruxs'. They are both off treasure hunting!'

 

The last line was spat out and Minerva leant towards the potion master in concern.

'Why didn't you go too?'

 

Severus snorted. 'Albus felt it would leave the school too exposed if there were more than one key member of staff away at once. Of course what he meant is it would be too great a loss if more than one staff member was killed.'

 

Remus hissed in distress. He had missed that bit of nuance in the headmasters speech and was reminded again of how useful Severus was in a wartime scenario.

 

'If anything happens to that boy...,' Remus whispered hoarsely and Severus winced.

 

'We can't protect him from this Lupin. I don't like it any more than you do but Harry is at the heart of this war and nothing we do or say can change that. At least Albus is actually sharing the information now. That is certainly an improvement.'

 

'Not to all of us,' Minerva barked and Severus inclined his head in acknowledgement.

 

'Very few know the full details of the prophecy. I believe that Albus did not want to share it with anyone who is not able to occlude and even then most do not know the actual wording.'

 

'I have never been told all the details, although it was enough to scare the hell out of James and Lily,' Remus added quietly.

 

Minerva glanced up at the clock in distress. Would James have allowed this if it had been his decision, she wondered. She could not imagine either of the Potters sending their son into danger in this way.

 

Then again, she would never have imagined that Voldemort would gain access to Hogwarts and attack the boy on school grounds; on three separate occasions no less.

 

The clock moved past the midnight position and the three of them settled in for a long night.

 

)O(

 

Harry kicked the wall in frustration as his patronus stood and blinked at him with incomprehension.

 

'Go!' Harry commanded. 'Tell Professor Snape that we need help and are in 'the safehouse''.

 

The large stag moved closer and attempted to nuzzle Harry and he groaned loudly.

 

How on earth did the order use these to communicate? Harry knelt down beside the headmaster who was mumbling to himself, his eyes closed and a bead of sweat on his forehead.

 

'Professor? Please sir, I need you to help.'

 

The elderly man jerked in response but did not open his eyes. Taking a deep breath to calm himself, Harry looked around the partially collapsed room and tried to get his brain to work.

 

Ok Harry, think. What do you need to do? Dumbledore is hurt and needs help. What can I do in the meantime?

 

Harry gently eased the man away from the wall until he was laid flat on the floor. He rolled up his extra jumper and placed it beneath the man's head as a pillow. He then tucked his cloak around the trembling figure, leaving the left arm out where he could see it. The flesh was blackened and stank of burnt flesh. Fluid oozed out of the cracks, leaving the arm glistening in the small amount of light.

 

Harry could vaguely remember a TV programme he had seen where they had said to wrap burns in cling film. He tipped his rucksack upside down, dumping everything on the floor looking for an alternative. The closest thing he could think of was the wrapping on his chocolate bar.

 

He opened up the chocolate and wrapped it in a piece of notepaper to keep clean before tentatively enlarging the wrapper. By the time it was long enough to cover the headmasters arm the paper was so thin it was transparent in places.

 

Harry carefully cast a cleaning charm on the inside of the now bag shaped wrapper and gently slid it over Dumbledores arm. He then filled the bag with air magically, mentally thanking Fred and George for their balloon filling lessons the year before.

 

He tied the bag at the elbow and then cast a floating charm, leaving the arm waving in a surreal way beside Dumbledore's prone figure, the large bag making it look like some kind of mutant attachment.

 

He checked the man's breathing which seemed to be steady. Harry then carefully laid out everything that had been in his bag. He had two large chocolate bars, a 500ml bottle of water that he could fill magically once it was empty. His spare jumper he had used and his robe was now draped over the older mans and Harry was starting to get cold.

 

He pulled out his invisibility cloak and cast a warming charm on it before draping it about his shoulders. It was a little unsettling to be wandering about without a body but at least it would stop him getting hypothermic.

 

He packed his remaining supplies back in the bag and secured the sword to the bottom so nothing would get left behind if they ended up leaving in a hurry. Harry glanced back to the mound of rubble in the centre of the room and sighed. He would have to dig out that blasted ring as well.

 

Whilst he was pretty sure its curse was broken now, he was nervous about just leaving it here. It took nearly an hour to find the shattered ring that was now in pieces. The stone lay next to a portion of the silver casing; a large crack evident down it's centre.

 

Harry prodded it cautiously with his boot and then reaching out with his sense, sought to see the energy around it. He glimpsed a few small wisps of dark purple around the silver but nothing around the stone. He spent a few minutes casting the very detection charms he had been teaching the first years the week before carefully lifting the stone from the floor.

 

When a few moments of stillness produced no searing pain or screaming, Harry sighed in relief and turned the stone over in his hands. A second later the stone was falling to the ground and Harry was falling backwards as a flash of white light startled him senseless.

 

He scurried away from the corner where the apparition had briefly appeared, until his back hit the far wall. He found himself sat beside the prone headmaster, his heart pounding in his ears.

 

What the hell had that been?

 

Once the initial fright had worn off, Harry reached out with his attunement, trying to pick up whatever new curse this was that Dumbledore had missed. He could see a tendril of gold magic still clinging to the wall where the white image had appeared. Thinking about it, he was sure he had seen the outline of a man.

 

Gold auras where usually indicative of light or protective magic so maybe that hadn't been something set up by Riddle. Harry was reminded of how Dumbledore had reacted when he had seen the stone.

 

'OK Harry,' he muttered to himself. 'So you know that Riddle liked to use objects that were significant in themselves. So the stone is something good maybe? Something that he cursed when he placed his horcrux on it. Now that is gone.'

 

Gathering his courage, he crept over to the fallen stone and slowly picked it from the floor. He sat for a long moment before turning the stone over in his hand, his eyes fixed on the far corner.

 

The white flash immediately bathed the room in light and a figure materialized; it's face slowly coming into focus. Harry felt his whole body begin trembling as recognition flooded through him and the figure slowly approached and knelt a few feet away.

 

'Hello there kid, how are you doing?' it asked kindly and Harry chocked back on a sob.

 

'Si..Sirius?' he whispered and the man nodded gently.

 

'I know this is a lot to take in Harry but yes, it's really me?'

 

'A ghost?' Harry asked in confusion and Sirius chuckled.

 

'Not exactly. I'm not really here in the way a ghost would be. That stone you have in your hand allows you to talk to me where I am. I feared I had scared you so much that you wouldn't pick it up again.'

 

Harry swallowed heavily, his throat tight and painful and tears starting to fall from his eyes.

 

'It's really you,' he sobbed and Sirius smiled gently, his own eyes glistening.

 

'I'm so sorry Harry. I never meant to leave you alone.'

 

'It's my fault,' Harry sobbed. 'I fell for Riddle's trap. You never would have died if it wasn't for me.'

 

Sirius shook his head and grimaced as if in pain. 'Please Harry, don't. You are not to blame for my stupidity. You were tricked kid, nothing more, nothing less. I am so, so sorry.'

 

Harry dropped his head into his hands, the stone pressing against his forehead and radiating a gentle warmth. His shoulders shook with the intensity of his sobs.

 

Sirius was here! Right in front of him.

 

Please, please let this be real, he pleaded to the universe. He lifted his head to find that Sirius had come to sit on the floor directly in front of him, his legs crossed in an almost lotus position. He was so close that Harry could feel the energy surrounding the spectre tickling his skin.

 

'How do I know this isn't another trick? The ring kept calling me to put it one. It promised just this! The chance to see you again.'

 

Sirius smiled. 'Had you done that, it would have cursed you the same way it did Albus. You destroyed the horcrux Harry, you don't have to worry about that now. Fortunately, Voldemort never realised what he had in the stone. You can literally resurrect the dead with that stone kid.'

 

Harry looked down in alarm at the small green pebble.

'I thought nothing could bring back the dead?'

 

'Not strictly true,' Sirius explained, laying his hand on Harry's knee. 'I'm not saying it is a good idea though. Any time the stone has been used in that way it has ended very, very badly for all concerned.'

 

The man paused, looking hungrily at his godson's stricken face.

'I think it is more accurate to say that nothing can bring back the dead unchanged. Right now, we are just communicating across the veil. The longer we talk, the more solid I will appear to you but I will still be dead. You would need to combine the stone with a rather dangerous ritual in order to bring me back properly and seeing as I wasn't exactly sane before, I imagine that would be an unwise idea.'

 

Harry laughed at the amused twinkle in Sirius's eyes.

'It's so good to see you,' he said tearfully, noting how the man was already looking less transparent. What's it like there?'

 

Sirius cocked his head to one side as he considered the question. 'It's hard to really explain. Nothing is really concrete here; not time or thoughts or even ourselves. Sometimes I'm not sure I exist.'

 

Sirius's voice had taken on a dreamy quality that strongly reminded Harry of Luna Lovegood. It made him feel slightly panicky, as though the man would just drift away from him.

 

'Did you see my mum and dad?' Harry asked, a note of desperation in his voice and Sirius grinned. For a moment, he looked exactly how Harry remembered him.

 

'Do you feel ready to see them Harry?' Sirius asked quietly and Harry's heart leapt into his throat.

 

'I...I..can,' Harry stuttered, the trembling beginning again. 'I..can't..I don't know if I can...'

 

'Shh, Harry, breathe.' Sirius's hand seemed to grow heavier on his knee. 'If you're not ready then it's fine. They will understand.'

 

Harry sat for long minutes trying to bring his hyperventilating lungs back under his command.

 

'Can they see me?' Harry whispered and Sirius frowned in thought.

 

'Well, yes and no. We are not really looking down on everything the way the poets say. It's more like there is a connection with those we care about and occasionally it pulls on us. It's a bit like popping in to see how you are doing every so often. We have been with you often over this last few months.'

 

Harry blushed and looked down, his eyes tearing up again as Sirius squeezed his knee.

 

'Why didn't you tell me about the Dursleys'?' Sirius asked, his voice full of anguish and Harry screwed up his face in distress.

 

'I didn't want you to get into trouble,' Harry muttered and the older man winced.

 

'I really made a mess of it didn't I kid?' Sirius watched the teenager in front of him fight with his emotions and wished with everything in him he could go back and start again. Somehow give this child the life he should have had.

 

'I'm glad you have someone to look out for you now.'

 

Harry's head snapped up at his godfather's words. 'You know? You know about Severus?'

 

Sirius smiled cheekily. 'Yep, trust you to get adopted by the creepiest man in the western world.'

 

Harry frowned. 'He didn't adopt me. I'm just his apprentice; his and Remus's.'

 

Sirius lightly traced the mark on Harry's wrist. 'Your bond mark say different kid. You know you are more than an apprentice to Snape. He is wearing a hole in his study floor as we speak you know. He's very worried for you.'

 

'Do you mean you approve?' Harry asked in surprise and the older man went to ruffle his hair, frowning as his hand went straight through Harry's locks.

 

'Mmm, interesting. I can touch you but not move you I think. Do I approve? Of course I do. The man cares for you. How on earth could I object to that. Just don't stop washing your hair, ok?'

 

Harry laughed and reached for his godfather, joy filling him as he realised Sirius was now solid enough to hug. It was a bit like holding water, he felt if he pushed too hard he would fall straight through.

 

The magical energy hummed along Harry's skin as he lay in Sirius's arms, tears falling happily down both of their faces. Sirius glanced about at the destroyed room and sighed.

 

'Well, you've gotten yourself into another pickle here haven't you?'

 

Harry leant back and glanced up at the frowning man.

'Can you help? Do you know how we can get out of here?'

 

Sirius shook his head and looked over at the slumbering figure that had controlled his life for so many years.

 

'No, but I'm betting Albus can get you both out if we can improve his condition. Your father can help with that.'

 

'Severus?' Harry asked with confusion. 'But I don't have any way to contact him.'

 

Sirius grinned at him again. 'Just his apprentice, eh?'

 

Harry blushed realizing he had just admitted that he thought of Snape as his father.

 

'I'm sure Snivellous can help once you get back to Hogwarts but on this occasion I was thinking of the original version. The mark one so to speak.'

 

Harry frowned in confusion making Sirius snigger.

'Your dad kid. He's desperate to talk to you. He keeps prodding me in the back. It's getting annoying actually.'

 

Harry paled as he realised that his father was actually somewhere near, maybe even listening to them talk. He bobbed his head nervously and Sirius's grin widened. He glanced over his shoulder and Harry found his breath hitch as a second figure slowly appeared from the gloom.

 

He stared in awe as James Potter's image sharpened in front of them and moved to sit in beside them.

 

James eyes roved up and down his son's body, a hint of desperate worry in his expression.

 

'Is he hurt?' He asked his friend and Harry felt his heart jump at the sound of his dad's voice

 

'He's fine Prongs. A few scrapes and bruises but nothing serious. He will need some more energy before he can do this though.'

 

Harry looked questioningly between them, trying not to blush under his father's stare.

 

'Harry,' James said softly. 'Go and get one of those chocolate bars and the water.'

Harry scurried out of his godfather's arms and crawled quickly over to his bag, fetching the requested items and hurrying back. He held the stone tightly the entire time.

 

One settled back on the floor beside Sirius, he turned back to his dad expectantly.

 

'Can you transfigure the wrapper into a length of string?' James asked and Harry hurriedly unwrapped the silver foil and did as requested. He grimaced at it's appearance which was still slightly silver. McGonagall would have deducted marks for that.

 

'Right then, if you tie that around the stone then you can wear it as a pendant. It will work as long it is in contact with your skin. Only you will be able to see us unless you concentrate your magic on allowing others in. I can teach you that another time.'

 

Harry felt the smile that spread across his face at the implications of that. He could talk to his parents and Sirius whenever he wanted! This was incredible!

 

He carefully tied the sting around the stone, wedging it into the crack the sword had made to secure it. He then tied a triple knot in the end and placed it over his head, being careful not to lose skin contact as he laid it against his throat.

 

The string was long enough to hide the stone well below his neckline.

'What if Dumbledore wants it back?' he asked in sudden panic, desperate not to lose this precious link.

 

'He can't have it,' James stated in a firm tone. 'The stone would be dangerous for him and I believe he knows that. You have my permission to pass on my warning if he asks though.'

 

Harry nodded numbly finding himself unable to look away from James eyes. They were the lightest brown he had ever seen. No one had ever really talked about his dad's looks before; other than the dreaded Potter hair anyway.

 

'Are you alright Harry?' James asked, seeing his son pale.

 

'It's just...to hear your voice... and see you...you have really light eyes,' Harry blurted out and James laughed, his rich voice echoing off the stone walls.

 

'Get comfortable little one and we can talk properly.'

 

Harry snuggled back into Sirius's side, both of them leaning back against the rubble in the room and James sat in front on him. Harry tentatively reached out to touch his fathers arm and found his hand when straight through the image.

 

'Give it ten minutes kid and then you can give the old man a hug,' Sirius teased as he watched the two Potter men staring at each other.

Harry wrapped his cloak tightly around himself and lay the chocolate and water in his lap.

 

'We need you to eat all of that in the next hour as you are going to have to do some pretty impressive magic to get out of this fix.' James explained before glancing over his shoulder at something Harry couldn't see. He and Sirius exchanged a look and Sirius's arm tightened around his waist.

 

'Have we completely overwhelmed you yet, Prongslet?'

 

Harry smiled softly. 'Yeah, but in a really good way.'

 

'Ready for some more company?' James asked and Harry paled.

 

'O..ok.'

 

Harry watched as a third figure came into view feeling his emotions finally falling away from his control. He buried his face into his hands and wept as his mum knelt in front of him and called his name.

 

'It's alright sweetheart, we're here,' Lily said softly as his father gripped his knee tightly.

 

It took some time for him to calm but by the time he had the three spirits looked as solid as him. In fact, as he was still wrapped in his invisibility cloak it strangely looked as if he was the ghost.

 

'Eat some chocolate Harry,' Sirius said rubbing his back and Harry shakily reached for a piece.

 

'We are so proud of you,' Lily whispered. 'You have survived so much and are still so pure. For you to be able to use the stone after everything you have been through is incredible.'

 

'It won't work for everyone,' Sirius explained. 'At least not like this. It's a mark of what a good kid you are that it has allowed us to come through like this.'

 

Harry smiled shyly, for once not upset at being out of the ordinary.

 

'Tell us about school Harry, 'James asked, smiling broadly at him. 'You are teaching some of Remus's classes?'

 

Harry grinned and went to launch into his term plan when a shout from the corner made them all jump.

 

Albus was staring wildly at the far wall and waving his wand about. He shouted something incomprehensible and Harry made to move but was stopped by Lily's hand on his knee.

 

'He's ok sweetheart; he has a fever and is hallucinating. You need to rest and eat and then your father is going to guide you through a spell that can help him.'

 

Harry relaxed back watching the older man with concern. Albus pointed his wand at the ceiling and looked about to cast a spell.

 

'Expelliamous!' Harry barked out by pure instinct and the headmasters wand flew into his hand.

 

Harry glanced at the ornate wand before laying it down in his lap beside his own.

'Probably best he isn't waving that around if he's hallucinating.'

 

Harry glanced up at the three incredulous expressions in confusion.

'What? What did I do?'

 

James's glance flew from the cloak Harry was wrapped in, the stone against his neck and the elder wand laid in his son's lap and grinned broadly.

 

'Nothing son, nothing at all. Now tell me about school.'

 

Harry smiled shyly and for the first time in his life started talking about his school life with his family. He spent the next two hours answering all their questions, while each of his parents held one of his hand and Sirius rubbed his back.

 

Against his skin the stone hummed happily, reunited with his two counterparts for the first time in nearly six centuries. The magic ran through the cloak, fixing and strengthening every stray thread or tear and renewing the charms.

 

The increasing glow was clearly seen by the three adults whilst Harry obliviously chatted on about study clubs and potions training.

 

)O(

 

To be continued...
Chapter 27 by Kendra James

A quiet pop caused Severus to wake with a jolt, his hand automatically reaching for his wand before his senses caught up. He sighed and rubbed his eyes as he took in the dishevelled state of his study.


One of the castles elves was quietly clearing away the evidence of his colleagues meal and drinks. The elf tip toed around the sofa where Lupin had dozed off against the arm. Minerva sat in a straight backed chair near the now dead fire, sipping a mug of coffee and brooding darkly.


Severus hauled himself upright in his chair and rubbed his stiff neck in annoyance. At his questioning glance, Minerva sighed.


'It's ten to eight and no, they haven't returned yet.'


He growled in annoyance and stalked towards his bathroom for a shower. What type of educator took their students off on dangerous missions and refused to even leave instructions on where to find them?


Now that he was thinking about it, what kind of guardian gave his permission for such foolishness? Severus slammed his palm against the wall and turned the shower on full; stepping under it's still cold spray with a sigh. He had managed about an hour and a half of sleep and felt pretty dreadful.


When he emerged from the bathroom, ten minutes later, a breakfast tray was waiting for him and a very ragged looking wolf.


Remus looked up with red eyes and gave a weak smile. Minerva has excused us both from our classes today. She said to go to bed for a few hours whilst she lets the Order know what has happened. She said she will call us both when Moody has a plan of action.


Severus nodded seriously. That was actually a good plan. If Albus and Harry weren't back by midday then they would know they were dealing with more than just a delay and Moody at least had the weight of the Ministry behind him if they had to launch a full scale search.


The two men ate as much of the tea and toast as they could stomach and then Remus left with just a silent nod at his colleague. Severus was surprised to feel a moments sympathy for the man; he looked truly devastated, as if Harry was already lost to them.


He supposed that with everyone Lupin had already had to bury, it was understandable for him to think the worst. Severus couldn't do that. Even thinking that he might have lost Harry was more than he could stomach. He had only just found the boy, he couldn't say goodbye yet.


To his surprise, sleep came easily to Severus. He had lain down fully dressed on his bed to rest his eyes and found himself being shaken awake several hours later by an apologetic Minerva.


'It's just gone one 'O' clock Severus. I have informed the Ministry that Albus and Harry are missing. There is an emergency Order meeting in fifteen minutes in the room of requirement.'


'The what?' he asked groggily.


'7th floor Severus, look for the red door.'


Ten minutes later he found himself walking up the stairs with Lupin, who had also slept; and had a good cry too by the look of his eyes.


'I didn't know this place was called the room of requirement,' Severus muttered. 'And I don't remember the door being red!'


He recognized the room as being the same one Harry and Neville had been running the study group in but was surprised to find the place transformed as he walked in the door.


What had been an enormous space was now a modest sized, dark, wood panelled drawing room with a large mahogany table running it's length. The current Minister for magic, Rufus Scrimgeor was already sat at the top of the table and both men winced at his sharp glance.


Severus had been interrogated by the man on his arrest after the first war and Scrimgeor had been incensed that the court had cleared him. He had also strongly opposed Remus's appointment at the school. The two colleagues exchanged a grim look before going to sit opposite the man.


Minerva sat at the top of the table, cradling a large mug of herbal tea and Severus hid a smirk as he recognized the smell. Well, if she must insist on drinking half a bottle of single malt!


The rest of the Order dribbled in, in groups of twos or three although Severus noted that none of the aurors were here. Kingsley and Moody flanked the Minister in official bodyguard roles and everyone else understood they were not to 'out' them as Order members. Arthur had come because his membership was already a matter of public record and the Minister nodded to him in recognition.


Once everyone was assembled, Minerva cleared her throat and began the meeting.


'I must ask everyone's apologies for high jacking the Order,' she said nervously. 'As you are all aware by now Albus Dumbledore and Harry Potter are missing. They left the school grounds at eight last night for a private Defence lesson. I was instructed that they would be back by midnight and to alert the relevant authorities if they had not returned by daybreak.'


The Minister scowled, clearly not impressed with their cover story.


'Does Dumbledore often take students off school grounds in the middle of the night?' He asked harshly and Minerva frowned, her lips pursing as she straightened in her seat.


'No Minister, but then we haven't had an apprentice in the school for many years either. I'm sure you understand that with the specific threat to this boys life then being trained by the only man that has ever stood against Voldemort and survived is a sensible idea?'


She paused before adding testily. 'And as you so recently expressed your concern that having Hogwarts involved in training the-boy-who-lived may cause a conflict of interests, I imagine he thought leaving school grounds for the training a sensible option.'


Bravo Minerva, Severus thought with a hidden smirk as the Minister flushed red and a flash of guilt crossed his face. So the Ministry had been trying to interfere with Harry's apprenticeship had they? Interesting.


Severus did his best to look confused and guileless as he interjected.

'Has there been concern about the apprenticeship Minerva? Professor Lupin and I have been careful to ensure Harry is receiving the same training that any other apprentice in these fields might get. As you indicated, specific threat training has taken place outside the school grounds.'


Remus leant forward and Severus hoped the wolf would play along. They hadn't exactly worked this out in advance.


'What exactly was the concern about a conflict of interest?' Remus asked, his voice expressing confusion.


The Minister shuffled uncomfortably. 'Nothing of major concern?' the gruff man answered. 'I simply wanted to ensure the boy was being properly prepared?'


'By restricting the training he can receive?' Remus asked guilelessly and the Minister practically growled his answer.


'It was not so much what he was taught...' he trailed off and Remus finished for him his voice soft and exuding sadness and hurt.


'….but who he was taught by. Well that explains why Headmaster Dumbledore has been teaching Harry himself, and taking him off school grounds.'


He directed this last part at Severus who shook his head sadly, playing along and inwardly applauding his colleagues performance.


'It does indeed Remus, it does indeed.'


Remus patted his colleagues arm in sympathy and the Minister shuffled again whilst Moody coughed loudly to avoid what would have likely been a snort of laughter. You would have thought the two men were life long friends for the performance they were giving.


'Yes well,' The Minister shuffled his paper and attempted to take back control of a rather uncomfortable situation.


'I applaud Dumbledore's attempts to keep things tidy and appropriate and we can only hope no harm has befallen him or Mr Potter. I have of course directed the auror department to treat this as a missing person's case of the utmost importance. The question is, do we involve the media yet?'


'I would highly encourage you not too,' Moody interjected. 'If they are hurt then alerting the Death Eater ranks means that they will be looking for them too. I would suggest we appoint Minerva as acting head and tell anyone who asks that Dumbledore and Potter are abroad training. That's likely to make the Dark One fill his trousers.'


Several people sniggered as Minerva sniffed in distaste. 'Really Minister, must your aurors be quite so vulgar?'


There was a table wide attempt to hide grins as the Order members recalled the rather blue bouts of humour that usually occurred between Moody and the fierce Scottish woman when they socialized.


Moody gave what might have been a wink in the woman's direction (it was hard to tell past his scars) before answering.


'My apologies Madam; What I meant to say was that Lord Voldemort fears both your headmaster and Mr Potter. The thought of the two of them preparing to face him may cause him some consternation.'


'Is there any way to tell if they have been captured?' The Minister asked, his comments clearly directed at Severus.


'I'm afraid I am no longer cultivating those contacts Minister. As you yourself noted, it would have been a conflict of interests.'


The Minister stared at the potions master, his dislike clearly evident. 'I was not aware that it was possible to just walk away without considerable cost,' he asked, a pointed look directed at Severus left arm.


Enough of this, Severus thought with a snarl whilst outwardly maintaining a calm, somewhat sad appearance.


'It's not Minister,' he answered quietly whilst rolling his sleeve up and laying his bare arm on the table.


There was a collective gasp as everyone assembled took in the sight of his Dark Mark. At least what had been his Dark Mark. The skin was raised and covered in weeping, partially scabbed blisters. It looked like the whole area had been burnt through to the lowest layers of skin. At each corner of the long tattoo was a raised area of white scar tissue.


Scimgoer's eyes flew up to lock with the Potions Master's. 'How do you stand it?' he whispered and Severus winced.


'I stand it because I have to and because Harry is more important.'


His words were quiet but they might as well have been shouted into the room for their impact. There was a moments silence as the inflection in Severus's voice was noted by all. Severus Snape cared for Harry Potter. It was both a declaration and a challenge and it was clearly heard as the Minister inclined his head in acknowledgement and Remus patted his arm; this time the gesture genuine.


'Beside,' Severus continued, covering up the mangled arm. 'I have received lots of help. Madam Pomfrey has been able to dampen the nerve signals in the area and the apprenticeship bond has also reduced the pain.'


'Interesting?' The Minister muttered. 'One bond interfering with another. You should perhaps write that up for the Department of Mysteries.'


'Already done Minister,' Minerva answered sharply. 'It would help of course if we knew who was trustworthy to send it too.'


The tension racked up a notch as the Minister accepted her inference that the Ministry was not entirely secure.


The group dispersed with their individual assignments and Severus reflected that it had been the first time she knew of that a sitting First Minister and the Order had met together like this; and without hexes being thrown as well.


Quite remarkable really.


Severus watched the Minister and his entourage leave and then turned to the acting headmistress.


'What do you want me to do?' he asked with a hint of desperation in his voice.


Minerva grimaced in sympathy as her two colleagues and the Weasley parents hovered.

'There is very little you can do at this point but wait. Severus, you have another matter that may need your attention.'


She pulled out a thick parchment envelope and handed it to him. This came for Albus this morning by urgent owl. I will support you if you feel you need to go?'


Severus frowned and took the envelope with apprehension. What could possibly necessitate him leaving Hogwarts just now? Especially with Harry still missing.


He pulled out the letter, noting that the envelope was already unsealed and stamped to say it had been checked for tampering. He instantly recognised the neat, flowery script of Narcissa Malfoy and read the contents with a sinking heart.


The remaining Order members watched in concern as the man paled and sat heavily in a nearby chair.


'Is everything alright Severus?' Arthur asked in concern but the man didn't seem to hear him as he continued to pour through the long letter.


Minerva sighed and answered for him. 'It appears young Draco Malfoy has attempted to take his own life and has done a damn fine job of it.'


Molly gasped and reached for her husbands hand.

'Did he...I mean is he...dead?'


'No but he is not expected to survive. He brewed a particularly powerful poison that is difficult to treat. The healers in France have done their best but he remains unconscious and the poison is continuing to affect his liver and kidneys. Narcissa has asked for Severus's help.'


Remus stepped forward and knelt before his sour colleague. 'Severus, we can keep you up to date by owl. I'm sure Minerva could arrange an international portkey; you could be back here in fifteen minutes if there is any news.'


Severus looked up from the parchment, his eyes haunted. 'I can't...how can I, how can I go when Harry...'


'Remus is right Severus,' Minerva said sharply. 'Under normal circumstances I would suggest you stay and keep teaching but I suspect you would go stir crazy waiting. This way you have something to concentrate on and if nothing else you should get the chance to say goodbye to your godson.'


Severus raised haunted eyes to his stern colleague, taking in her harsh but very accurate words. He nodded bluntly.

'You can make me a portkey?'


'I will see to it immediately Severus. Floo to my office when you are ready to go.'


Ten minutes later Severus was packed and standing in Minerva's office as Remus hovered looking sad and irritated.


'You will contact me immediately if there is any news?' he demanded of his colleague and the man sighed.


'Of course I will, and Severus,' the man paused, stepping forward to lay a hand on Severus's shoulder. 'You are not abandoning him. There truly is nothing you can do until Moody comes back with a potential location list.'


Severus stared hard at the office wall while he sought to bring his emotions under control. I.will.not.cry.in.front.of.the.wolf, he chanted in his head until he felt his breathing settle.


Minerva strode purposefully into the office, a small wooden box in her hand which she handed to her potions master. The activation word in 'rescue' and to bring you home 'sanctuary'. It's not strictly legal so try not to activate it in company. Narcissa has given me the passwords to her wards so this should take you straight into their reception hallway.'


Severus opened the box and took out the small pewter ball, before gathering all his bags under one arm. Remus recognised one of them as Severus's travelling potion kit. He have his colleagues one deep searching look and then activated his portkey, disappearing in a blurry haze.


Remus turned to his colleague with a deep felt sigh.

'How worried are you?' he asked with trepidation and Minerva sighed before sitting heavily at her desk.


'I'm beyond worried right now Remus, although if it's any consolation I checked Albus's portrait after the meeting. It's stored in a room in the attics.'


'It's still?' Remus asked sharply, relieved when his colleague nodded.


'Yes, it's still a painting. Wherever they are we know that Albus at least is still alive.'


'Perhaps we should have Harry sit for a portrait when he gets back,' Remus suggested tiredly. 'It could be reassuring when he keeps disappearing like this.'


'I think we should have everyone in the Order sit for one,' She responded dryly. 'Heaven knows I wish the Potters had sat for one. I would very much have appreciated their input on Harry over the years.'


Remus visibly sagged in his seat. 'I do too; I hate the fact that the only memory he has of them is Voldemort murdering them.'


Minerva's head shot up. 'What?!'

'It's what he hears when dementors approach Minerva. His parents screaming for their lives. It's the only real memory he has. At least if he had a painting he would be able to see how they talked, how they moved; that weird thing James did with his eyebrows.'


Minerva laughed briefly before exchanging a sad look with her tired looking teacher.

'We will find them Remus. Or they will find their way back. This is Harry and Albus we are talking about after all.'


Remus nodded and left the room silently. Moody had given him some research to do about past escape points and safe houses. Relieved to be doing something, he headed back to his office and the pile of journals Moody had left for him.


)O(


Harry laughed as Sirius finished the story about how he and Remus had trapped themselves in a fourth floor cupboard for three days and the rumours that had followed them for the rest of that year.


'That's hilarious,' he barked. 'So everyone thought you were a couple and were up there smooching!'


'Yep!' Sirius said with a laugh. 'Although that wasn't so far fetched at the time with Remus's inclinations.'


Harry chocked on the sip of water he had taken and he looked between his dad and godfather. 'Remus's gay? Really?'


'Well,' his father answered carefully. 'He swings both ways if you know what I mean.'


'In other words he's anybody's' Sirius declared deadpan, earning himself a slap on the arm from Lily.


'Sirius Black! You take that back right now! Remus was always very shy. He was certainly not...well...'


'Easy?' James suggested helpfully.


'A player,' Sirius interjected.


'A horny wolfman?'


A sharp glare shut both men up although they continued to snigger.


Harry smiled tearfully at the three adults. This was great. Sat here talking with them all. He sighed softly and Sirius pulled him closer. He was now practically sat in the man's lap.


'I didn't know that about Remus. I've never seen him with anyone. I think he's lonely.'


The mood sobered and James squeezed his hand. 'He's had a very, very hard life Harry and he's not keeping very well health wise at the moment.'


'Can I help him?' Harry asked seriously and Lily smiled, touching his cheek lightly.


'You are helping him Harry; more than you could ever know. He's delighted that you are apprenticed to him and Severus. It means so much to him. He's very sad that you have been hurt so much and he feels terrible about it.'


'Everyone feels terrible about it Harry,' James said softly, glancing over at the prone headmaster who was still muttering in his sleep.


Harry's expression hardened and James gripped his hand tightly. 'He truly didn't know Harry. He didn't know that Vernon was hurting you.'


Harry looked between his parents faces in confusion.

'He put me there!' he cried in anger, a few tears slipping from his eyes which he wiped away angrily pulling his hand from his mothers.


Lily immediately grasped it again and gripped it between her own, looking to her husband for guidance.


'What do you know of that time Harry? After the first war I mean.' James voice was soft and serious.


'Not much,' Harry admitted. 'I know everyone was celebrating whilst I starved in a cupboard.'


'Oh Harry,' James whispered, wiping his son's face tenderly. 'I'm so very sorry we weren't there; That we couldn't protect you from that.' He took a deep breath and then continued. 'It was a horrible time Harry. The Ministry was in a mess. There were daily court sessions for all of the captured Death Eaters. No body knew where to start rebuilding or who to trust.' He paused to wipe the tears that were pouring down Harry's face. It seemed that now he had started crying, he couldn't stop.


Sirius picked up where James had left off. 'There were hundreds of petitions to the courts to raise you Harry. Many were from pureblood families in influential positions. Many of those had served Voldemort during the war and were now claiming to have been under the influence of Imperius. Albus knew from his spy that there was a plot to get revenge on you. To adopt you and then arrange for an accident.'


Harry shuddered. 'That's why he sent me to the Dursleys'?' he asked quietly and James nodded.


'He tried to get the Ministry to allow him to adopt you himself. I think he hoped that the laws might be softened to allow werewolves to raise children and then Remus could take over but it didn't work. He was challenged by Lucius Malfoy and there is no doubt than Lucius would have won.'


'So what happened?' Harry asked confused and Lily picked up the explanation.


'The wizarding world values blood lines above everything else. The only way Albus was going to be able to keep you out of Lucius's clutches would be to place you with those who shared your blood.'


'The Dursleys'' Harry stated flatly and James nodded.


'It was the only other option and it allowed Albus to extend the effects of your mothers bravery and place blood wards around Privet Drive. He knew that you would have a difficult life there but he never thought they would hurt you. When you turned up all skinny and waif like,' James ruffled his hair while Harry snorted in outrage. '...he thought that maybe Petunia was a bit uneducated when it came to food. Many muggle families don't eat well. It's the biggest crisis facing their world at the moment. He never imagined that they were actually withholding food from you.'


Harry nodded numbly as he looked back at the ageing man.


'So you're saying I should forgive him?'


James smiled softly. 'You are right to be angry Harry. There are many, many people who failed to see what was happening to you, but Albus didn't hurt you. He did everything he could to keep you safe. I'm not saying he's innocent in this but I think you are maybe blaming him for everything because it's safer to be angry at him than it is to be angry at Vernon and Petunia.'


'Them you can hex into cockroaches if you want,' Sirius added, earning another slap from Lily.


'I was thinking earwigs actually,' Harry added deadpan and the adults laughed.


'Petunia's terrified of earwigs,' Lily said and Harry nodded knowingly. 'I know; what do you think made me think of it.'


Sirius hugged him hard and kissed the back of his head. 'We love you kid, you know that right?'


Harry dropped his head as the tears started flowing again.


'I know,' he whispered. 'This is so amazing. Just hearing your voices is so...'


James chuckled. 'Do we sound how you thought we would?' he asked and Harry shook his head avidly.

'Not at all. Mum's accent is really strong although I don't recognise it.'


Lily grinned. 'It's a Yorkshire accent Harry. I grew up in the Yorkshire Dales.'


'The dales?' He asked and Lily smiled.


'It's a bit like moorland. All hills and pretty wild. We lived there until I was fourteen and Pet was sixteen.'


Harry frowned in confusion. 'But Aunt Petunia doesn't sound like that at all.'


James snorted in amusement. 'Your aunt liked to pretend she came from a different background than she did. I think she was determined to sound like the queen.'


Harry laughed. 'Well that explains all the screeching.'


Lily kissed his hand and smiled gently at him. 'What about your dad,' she asked and Harry blushed.


'I..I really like your voice,' he answered, smiling at James's pleased expression. 'It's really soft and a bit, well...posh.'


Sirius roared with laughter while James blushed bright red.


'Your father's family lived in the Scottish Highlands for many generations Harry,' Lily explained. 'They seemed pretty posh to me too but living up there softened the accent quite nicely. It was the first thing I liked about him actually.'


'Really?' James asked his wife quietly and she nodded shyly. 'Not my charm and wit?'


'What charm and wit,' she teased and Harry grinned.


This was great. He didn't think he ever wanted to leave this place.


)O(


Albus drifted back to consciousness to the sound of laughter and soft voices chatting. He forced his eyes open and looked around the collapsed room in confusion. The nightmares still lingered on the edge of his consciousness and part of him was unsure if this was part of it.


His eyes focused on the far corner where he could see Harry huddled against a pile of fallen masonry and relief flooded through him. The boy looked fine and other than a few scratches on his face did not appear to be carrying any injuries. He recognised the glowing shimmer of the invisibility cloak and smiled. It was sensible of the boy to bring that.


Then the rest of the scene intruded on his senses. Harry was chatting happily to someone he couldn't see. Albus might have thought Harry was taking to himself if not for the soft glow that illuminated the whole corner and the fact that he could hear whispered voices talking back. At least two he thought in confusion; a male and female.


He tried to sit up but found there was no strength in his muscles and the only answering response in his body was a flash of pain through his injured arm. He sighed and closed his eyes. Regret flooded through him. Would Harry be able to escape this room by himself? He knew the wards on this chamber were extremely strong and set for only a hand full of people.


He could feel the curse reaching up his arm towards his armpit and knew he would not last much longer.

'I'm so sorry Harry,' he whispered. 'So...very sorry.'


Albus's eyes drifted down again, too tired and confused to work out the strange voices that echoed around the destroyed room. He let the blackness carry him away.


)O(


James was midway through telling Harry about his parents first date when he broke off and glanced back at the headmaster, his face sobering.


'Is Harry ready?' Sirius asked quietly and James nodded.


'I think so. Either way we have no choice; we are running out of time.'


Harry looked between the two men with confusion. 'What is it?'


James smiled at him. 'We were waiting for all that chocolate to metabolize in your system Harry. You are going to need the energy.'


Sirius squeezed him tightly. 'The curse that was on that ring is a terrible one Harry. There is no counter curse or treatment that can fix it, however...'


He trailed off and James picked up. 'The fact that you can attune to magical energies means you can help him. I'm going to talk you through it but I think that you can remove the curse and help Albus.'


'Now?' Harry asked and his parents both leant forward to pull him into a hug.


'Now Harry, but you have to promise to stop if your father tells you too. This will be very dangerous for you.'


Harry nodded in agreement and James squeezed his shoulder.


'Good boy. Lets go see if we can pull this stubborn old man back from the veil shall we?'


)O(

 

To be continued...
Chapter 28 by Kendra James

Severus landed harshly on a marble floor, finding himself in a large hallway. Taking a moment to get his bearings, he rubbed absently at his knees who were protesting at such rough treatment.


'Severus!' He turned to see Narcissa rushing down the corridor towards him and had to fight to hide his reaction to her changed appearance. She was dressed in a simple black dress and flat shoes, her hair pulled back in a single plait. There was not a scrap of make-up or jewellery evident; not even her wedding ring he noticed with interest.


She looked as if she would embrace him but stopped uncertainly a few feet away; looking unsure as to how to greet him. This was the first time they had seen each other since Severus's true allegiance had been exposed. Their correspondences had been brief and stilted.


'Thank you for coming,' she whispered shakily; If anyone can help him I know you can.'


'How is he?' he asked seriously, allowing his concern to show. He wanted Narcissa to see he still cared about Draco despite what had happened between them.


She bit her lip and shook her head. 'Not...not well. They're doing everything they can but...'


'Did you keep a sample of the poison?'


Narcissa picked up one of his bags and directed he follow her down one of the long corridors.


'I managed to save a small amount and I think I have found the book he was working from. The healers have identified Belladonna and Black Nightshade and have managed to purge his system but they think there is a third active ingredient still at work.'


They had reached a small room off the main corridor and she placed his bag on the floor before opening the door. The room was bright and filled with sunlight and barely any furniture. A single bed sat in the centre of the room and three healers surrounded it talking softly. They fell respectfully quiet as Severus entered. Even here they had heard of the famous British Potions Master that had invented the Wolfsbane potion.


'What are his symptoms,' he asked officiously, not bothering with introductions or pleasantries.


What was obviously the senior healer stepped forward and handed Severus Draco's chart.

'His renal system in still compromised and we are struggling to keep blood flow to the area. He is having regular convulsions that are not sensitive to our potions and is developing some clotting problems.'


'You're sure you have fully purged the nightshade?' he asked sharply and the older man nodded.


'Yes Monsieur, I have checked several times. We are clearly missing something. We sent a sample of the poison to the lab but they have been unable to identify the third active ingredient.'


Narcissa silently handed over a small potions book and Severus winced. He recognised the tome. He had given it to Draco himself on his last birthday. Narcissa touched his arm lightly in sympathy. He opened it to the page she had marked and saw the recipe for a standard poison. Simple, effective and deadly but something was clearly off.


'Did your labs say he followed this exactly?'


The healer nodded.'Yes other than the unknown ingredient and the fact he used a different binder.'


Severus looked at the man sharply who continued. 'He substituted rose water with grapefruit juice. A case of what was to hand I expect.'


Severus frowned and moved over to look at his godson for the first time. Draco lay utterly still and was as white as death. He wrapped a slender hand around the boys smaller one whilst he thought through the boys reasoning.


'Draco is an accomplished brewer,' he said with certainty. 'He would not have made the substitution without good reason.'


'What are you thinking Severus?' Narcissa asked quietly and Severus turned to face her and the healers.


'I think he wanted to die,' he said bluntly. 'He has chosen a potion that is deadly but also easy to treat if caught quickly. If I know Draco he would have made that weakness into a strength. What did you treat him with?'


The healers read through each entry on the chart and Severus was surprised to hear a number of muggle treatments on the list. At his raised eyebrows the elder man explained. 'The senior healer at our clinic is Muggle born, he has also trained in non magical medicine and encourages us all to use a combination of the two.'


Severus glanced back at his godson with a thoughtful expression. 'It is likely that is why Draco is still with us. He would not have anticipated that you might use non magical means to purge the poisons.' He frowned heavily. 'If you had used potions only, are any of the treatments toxic in their own right?'


The healer frowned. 'Not really. The treatment for the Belladonna is pretty acidic and has to be measured carefully but other than that...'


'Acids,' Severus murmured reaching for the remaining sample that Narcissa had saved. He smelt it carefully, noting the grapefruit and distinctive Nightshade. The belladonna would be odourless by now but there was another sharp, sweet odour behind it. 'He would have used the grapefruit for it's acidic qualities, meaning there is something in here that is harder to break down. Most likely a root or leaf.'


He turned back to the small team who were listening avidly. 'Have you checked the level of acid salts in his blood?'


One of the team, a small dark haired woman, moved to do just that, collecting the things she needed on a small tray before returning to the teenagers side. She pricked one of his fingers and allowed a few drops of blood to fall into a test tube before healing the small nick with a wave of her wand.


She then allowed two drops of reagent to fall into the tube before sealing it and shaking gently. They all waited for a moment for the pink mix to turn and several of the healers swore loudly as it moved from pink to bright yellow.


Narcissa started in alarm as the room burst into activity and one of the healers moved to place a muggle IV into Draco's arm.


'What is it?' She asked, gripping Severus's arm.


'The acid levels in Draco's blood are extremely high. That is what had been causing the convulsions and renal damage. I think Draco deliberately put an ingredient with acid salts into the potion. Something that would slowly increase the acidity of his blood until it destroyed his organs. By itself it wouldn't have been enough to do him harm but coupled with the treatment for poisoning...' he tailed off as Narcissa started to cry.


'He put a fail safe in,' She stated sadly. 'In case I found him in time.'


Severus rubbed his nose as he watched the healers work. 'He should survive this now, although damage at this level cannot be undone overnight,' he warned. 'Draco is likely to be sick for many months after this.'


She nodded tearfully before standing on tip toes to kiss his cheek. 'Thank you Severus,' she whispered. 'I don't know what I would have done if I had lost him too.'


He watched the healers work sadly. That such a bright young man would be reduced to this was unfathomable to him. He promised himself yet again that he would see Voldemort fall.

'Is it true that Harry Potter is apprenticed to you Severus?' the Malfoy matriarch asked and he smiled gently at her.


'Wanting to catch up on all the gossip Cissie?'


She smiled tiredly and rubbed her eyes. 'Of course I do. I'm stuck in this shack with one old house elf for company. The Ministry have seized the manor and all of our funds...,' Severus raised a disbelieving eyebrow at that and she smiled. '...all of our funds that they know about.' She corrected and Severus laughed.


'Will you take tea with me and fill me in on all your news?'


She glanced back at her son anxiously and the senior healer nodded at her. 'I will inform you of any change immediately Madam. Please feel free to go rest with Master Snape.'


Severus offered her his arm which she wearily took, leading him towards the parlour. He glanced at the large grandfather clock in the hall as they passed. It read ten past four, meaning it was ten past three in Scotland. Harry had been missing for nineteen hours.


)O(


Harry shifted position so that the headmaster's swollen arm was resting in his lap, still encased in the oversized bag. The bag sloshed a little as the fluid collected in the bottom moved around.


'Gross,' Sirius muttered, earning a reproving look from James. 'It is though.'


Ignoring his friend, James sat down on the floor behind Harry and wrapped his arms around his son. He took a deep breath in and Sirius smiled softly, knowing his friend had been overwhelmed for a moment that he held his boy in his arms.


'OK Harry, I'm going to talk you through this but I need you to promise me you will stop if I say so.'


'I will,' Harry promised earnestly. He picked up his wand and glanced over his shoulder at his father expectantly.


'Firstly, you need to completely relax and see if you can attune to the energies in the room.'


Harry closed his eyes and starting taking the deep, controlled breaths that Severus had taught him. After several minutes he slowly opened his eyes and glanced about, seeing immediately the intricate wards that surrounded the room and the soft glow of his parents and Sirius's magic.


'OK,' Harry said quietly. 'I can see the wards and all you guys.'

'That's good, Harry,' James whispered. 'Now focus on Albus. Can you see the curse?'


Harry squinted and focused on the plastic bag for a moment, seeing the dark swirling mass that had invaded the veins and arteries.


'I see it,' he declared. 'It's spread all the way up to the shoulder.'


'I want you to focus on the edge near his armpit and imagine it being pushed back down through the arm.'


It took several attempts but eventually Harry could feel the edge of the curse and he sent his magic out, forcing the swirling mist a few inches back down the arm. He panted heavily. 'It's really hard.'


'I know son,' James said, rubbing his back gently. 'Now that you have it I want you to take a big breath and push with all your might. The further down the arm you can get it in one push, the more chance we will have.'


Harry took in a deep breath, tensed his stomach muscles and then pushed with his magic. The curse fled almost to the headmaster's wrist before it seemed to become aware that it was being attacked and fought back.


'Anchor your magic Harry!' James said urgently, his arms wrapped tightly around Harry's waist. 'Imagine it is wrapped around Albus's wrist.'


Harry forced several tendrils of his magic around the muscles and veins in the headmasters arm and imagined them pinned down with nails.


'OK relax a moment Harry.' James said gently and Harry sagged in his arms.


He could feel the curse pushing and prodding at his magic; the outside edges feeling as if they were being burnt and bruised. He winced in pain.


'You did great Harry, really great. That was impressive work. Take a few moments and we will see if we can expel it completely.'


Harry turned slightly and buried into his fathers shoulder, being careful to keep his concentration focused on the bits of his magic being slowly pried off their anchor by the curse.


James shifted to accommodate the boy and rested his hand on Harry's forehead, hugging him close.

'You are remarkable young man; do you realize that?'


Harry smiled faintly and took a few deep breaths. 'I'm ready,' he stated quietly and felt his father nod against his hair.


'You will need your wand for this bit kid.'

Harry held his wand ready, waiting for his father's instructions.


'You need to try and push the curse out of the body in one smooth movement. The thing will fight you strongly this time so be ready for that. As soon as it's expelled you will need to cast a protego so that it doesn't attack you.'


Harry took one last deep breath and then pushed with all his might, releasing the anchor simultaneously. He managed to slide the mist all the way down the edges of the headmasters burnt fingers before the curse fought back with a vengeance. He cried out as pain shot through his magical core as it the curse were electrocuting him.


'Don't let go Harry,' Sirius barked urgently. 'You've almost got it, keep pushing.'


Reminded disturbingly of a childbirth documentary he had seen, Harry fought with everything in him to keep moving the curse down the fingers. With one final burst of strength he forced the mist into a compact ball and pushed it away into the air above them.


'PROTEGO!' he cried hoarsely and a white shield sprung over the prone headmaster and Harry. He felt the curse impact against the shield before it dissipated, the air in the room instantly feeling cleaner and fresher.


He collapsed back in James's arms as the man laughed in delight.


'Well done son, well done.'


'Have a bit more chocolate Harry,' Sirius encouraged whilst Lily moved back to her place beside her husband and son.


'I shouldn't,' Harry whispered wearily. 'I've eaten one whole bar and we might need the other one. I don't know how long we will be trapped here.'


James smiled softly down at his son. The kid was always thinking of others.

'You need the energy Harry. There is one last bit of magic you need to do.'


Harry felt the instant tension between the adults and looked at Sirius questioningly.

'What is it?'


Sirius looked pointedly at Harry's bag before answering and with a sigh Harry reached for the second chocolate bar which he had wrapped in notepaper. He broke a bit off and nibbled on the edge whilst his godfather explained.


'We are going to help you break the connection you have to Moldyshorts.'


Harry's eye's widened. 'Really; you can do that?'


'Well, no,' Sirius clarified but you can now. 'You will need to use the headmaster's wand.'


Harry frowned. 'I don't think he would like that. Shouldn't we wait until he wakes up so I can ask him.'


James chuckled in his ear. 'Oh, I wouldn't worry about that Harry. I can assure you he won't mind.'


'Should I heal the burns first?'


'Do you know how to do that,' Lily asked and Harry shook his head. 'Not really. I was hoping one of you might. I know the spell to heal small burns but we are not supposed to use that on anything deeper than the surface skin.'


'I think you should leave that for Madam Pomfrey Harry,' James added. 'None of us were that great at healing charms. Lily knows the most but those burns are pretty serious. Don't worry; now that the curse has been destroyed, Albus's own magic should protect it.'


Sirius made him eat three pieces of chocolate before he would explain any further about the magic they wanted him to do.


James and Lily's grip on him had become almost painful and Harry felt his stomach start to ache with anxiety. 'What's wrong?' he asked them anxiously.


'Harry,' Sirius laid a hand on his knee. 'I believe Albus explained to you what Moldyshorts had done to try and make himself immortal?'


Harry nodded. 'The horcruxes, yeah. One less of them now though,' he added in satisfaction and Sirius smiled.


'Yeah kid, good job on that one. It's just as well Albus brought you along isn't it?'

Sirius squeezed his knee. 'The thing is Harry, no-one has ever gone as far along this path as Voldy has. He created five of these things and in doing so left the bit that was left in him dangerously unstable. It's why he has grown so mad over the years.'


Sirius took a deep breath before continuing, not at all sure they were doing the right thing with the risk they were about to take.


'The night he attacked Godric's hollow,' he continued gently. 'He underestimated your mothers love for you and how that could trip him up. As you know the killing curse rebounded on him and destroyed his body. It also broke the remaining bit of his soul in two. One bit fled and as we know is still causing us no end of trouble. That's the bit that resides in his new body. The second bit...' Sirius paused and looked anxiously at his friends for guidance.


James squeezed Harry tightly and finished what Sirius couldn't say.

'The second bit attached itself to the only other living thing in the room.' he said softly and Harry frowned in puzzlement.


'...I don't understand? What could it...?'


Harry bolted upright in his fathers arms, ignoring the wave of dizziness that swept over him. 'Me!' He explained. 'I'm a horcrux!?'


'Shhh, darling it's OK. We can sort this out right now.' Lily said urgently, tears in her eyes.


'Does...does Dumbledore know?' Harry asked shakily and his mother smiled gently.


'Yes dear, so do Remus and Severus. Albus has been researching for a year to try and find a solution.'


'That's why he was avoiding me last year.' Harry declared in distress. 'He knew I was evil.'


The three adults burst into speech in denial of his statement.


'No Harry!'


'Of course you're not.'


'Nobody thinks that.'


James pulled him back into his arms. 'Harry, we can get rid of this right now. I'm going to talk you through it but I have to warn you that...that, it might hurt.' James voice broke at the end and Harry looked over his shoulder at him.


'I'm really tired. I don't know if I can do this now.'


'It's alright Harry. This will be really easy. I want you to eat one more bit of chocolate and drink some water.'


Harry shakily reached for his water bottle and one piece of chocolate. Once he had drunk enough for his father he leant back and picked up the headmasters wand.


'What do I do?' he asked nervously.


James gripped his free hand tightly and Lily placed hers around both of them. His father guided their joined hands up to the stone around Harry's neck and encouraged him to grip it.


'OK Harry, try and attune in to your magical core again.'


It took Harry more than five minutes to find his magic but eventually he could see the multicoloured orb in his chest and the tendrils that spread through out his body.


'I see it,' he said softly, his eyes still closed.


'OK Harry, now focus on your forehead.'


Harry directed his senses upwards and nearly gagged when he found the dark swirling mass. That had been in him his whole life! Voldemort's soul sat right there all this time!


'Keep your concentration Harry!' James said sharply and Harry forced himself to calm.


'What do I do now? He muttered.


'Lay the point of the wand against your scar and imagine a ball of light wrapping itself around the horcrux.'


Harry did so and nodded slightly when he had done it.


'That's great Harry. Now this bit will be easy to do but may hurt afterwards.'


'We are right here darling,' Lily said softly. 'We love you so very much.'


James checked that his sons free hand was touching both the stone and cloak before exchanging a glance with Sirius. His friend nodded encouragingly trying not to show his fear and James took a deep shaky breath.


'OK Harry; keeping the horcrux surrounded, I want you to say; 'The Hallows and I command you to leave.'


Harry took a moment to ensure he was focused on the scar and then repeated his fathers words. There was a moment where nothing happened and then his scar burst open and his head was flooded with pain.


Harry screamed as blood poured down over his face and neck and agonizing fire shot throughout his body. He could dimly hear his father speaking urgently and his mothers soft voice but it seemed far away. Blackness invaded his vision and he collapsed, giving into unconsciousness with relief.


James held his limp son in his arms as Lily sobbed on his shoulder. Heavens, there was so much blood! He looked up into his friend's worried eyes in panic. Sirius tried hard to give a reassuring smile.


'It worked Prongs, it worked!'


James nodded numbly as he rocked the teen gently. He would feel better when Harry was awake and he could see for himself that he was alright. They had taken a risk doing this. A risk Albus might not have allowed had he been awake.


The three adults watched as the swirling grey horcrux bounced around the room, the wards preventing it from leaving. It flashed over the headmaster briefly and James tensed, worried it would try to embed itself in the wounded man. Perhaps sensing the weakness, the mist moved on and continued its desperate attempt to escape.


It took half an hour for the separated soul to weaken and the three friends sighed in relief as it finally faded out of existence; too damaged to exist independently. One more down, James thought with relief. They had just increased Harry's chance of surviving this war enormously.


)O(


Severus sat quietly at his godsons beside watching the young man sleep. He was alarmed at the change in the boy since he had last seen him. Draco's cheeks had almost collapsed in on themselves and his hair was shoulder length and hung lankly.


The muggle IV continued to drip fluid into the teen veins, keeping the boys blood levels normal whilst the last remaining toxins were expelled. Severus suspected the boy had used rhubarb leaves to create the acid salts and was rather impressed by his thoroughness.


Severus rubbed the bridge of his nose tiredly as he sat there bathed in the evening sun, much brighter here in the South of France than it had been in the still chilly Scottish spring. He felt awful that he hadn't been here for Draco and that he hadn't realised what a state the boy was in.


Nacissa had explained all the events leading up to their flight from Britain. Voldemort had grown impatient for Draco to take the mark and had apparently had a specific mission for the boy at Hogwarts. When Draco had proved reluctant, he had ordered Lucius to hand him over to Bellatrix for 'training'.


Draco had been tortured by his own aunt for four days and then delivered back to the Dark Lord. Fortunately or unfortunately, depending on which way you looked at it, that was the night of the botched mission to recruit Horace Slughorn.


Voldemort had thrown a hissy fit, killed three death eaters including Lucius and in the confusion Nacissa had managed to rescue her son from the Manor's dungeons and flee.


Severus had been in the Manor that night but had not even known Draco was there or what he had been through. He was feeling a particularly bad godfather just now. Draco was struggling to cope with what had happened to him and the loss of his father. Realizing that his mother had never really believed in the family's pureblood ethos in the first place had also rocked him enormously.


Draco was finally understanding what a lie he had been sold all these years and Severus could understand how destabilizing that was. He had been there himself.


He still had no idea how to help the boy.


A gentle knock interrupted his brooding and he turned to see Narcissa peeking around the door.


'Remus Lupin is here to see you Severus.'


Severus shot to his feet as the werewolf entered, exhaustion showing on every line of his face.


'Have you found them?' he asked sharply and Remus smiled cautiously.


'No but Moody thinks he has a lead. How is Draco?' he asked, his gaze falling on the pale young man.


'He'll live,' Severus answered and Remus's smile grew.


The ragged looking man turned to face Narcissa. 'That is very good news,' he said warmly and Narcissa's expression softened.


'I have Severus to thank. It took him about three minutes to work out what Draco had done. I will give you some privacy.'


She left quietly and Severus sank back down in the chair as Remus went to lay a hand on Draco's arm.


'Poor kid, I bet he didn't expect all this when he was strutting the halls spouting all that nonsense.'


'Yes, well he has had a rough wake up call,' Severus said sharply. 'What is the lead?'


'Moody had me check out all The Orders emergency portkey locations. I have been bouncing around Europe all day. Shame they don't do airmiles on the things; I would probably have earnt myself a toaster by now.'


Severus snorted at the muggle reference and rubbed his nose.


'Anyway, I didn't find them at any of the locations but Tonks found an apparition signature and traced it back to a house near the Riddle Manor.'


Severus looked up sharply at that. 'The Gaunt House?'


'Yes and they were definitely there. There were traced of Albus's magic all over the place and signs that floorboards and bricks in the internal walls had been moved. We found an empty wooden box on the floor so they found something. Moody thinks that they may have left in a hurry but we don't know where they might have gone.'


'How does this help?' Severus asked sensing more.


'Well, Albus didn't use his portkey which leads us back to emergency apparition points. Moody mentioned that there was an old World War II bunker that was used by The Order in the last war.'


'Yes it's in Plymouth,' Severus explained. 'We haven't used it for years though. I used to meet Albus there to report in. Have you checked it?'


'We can't,' Remus explained. 'The wards are still active and they were only keyed in for Albus, the McKinnons' and yourself. Moody asked if you could check it out?'


Severus nodded wearily. 'I will go now. I need to explain to Cissie first. Do you need a lift back with my portkey.'


Remus nodded and followed the potions master from the room, glancing sadly back at the still unconscious teenager. Severus must be feeling torn in two right now, he thought with a sigh.


Fifteen minutes later the two men landed with a jolt in Minerva's office, finding the elderly woman grading papers.


'Have you slept at all?' Remus asked her and she shook her head.


'Not yet, I will shortly.' She handed Severus a new portkey. 'This will bring you back to my office again, should you have need of it. I'm assuming you will have to apparate into this safe house?'


'Yes, although I only have to be outside the wards to use the key.'


Severus thanked her and with a brief nod to the wolf, strode swiftly from the room. He walked down through the chilly grounds with a heavy heart. This was at best at long shot but at least this way they could rule it out.


He passed through the school wards and taking a moment to remember the exact location of the bunker flashed away in a blur of movement.


It took a moment to get used to the dark lighting in the underground room but once his eyes had adjusted he swore violently. The room had practically collapsed and only one of the twelve torches seemed to be working. He glanced around and a moment later was running for the far corner, his stomach clenched in fear.


Two prone figures could clearly be seen and neither showed any signs of movement.


Severus fell to his knees beside Harry and swore. The boy was covered in blood and white as a ghost.


'Harry!' he shouted, shaking the teenager's shoulder as hard as he dared.


Harry stirred at the noise and fought to push his heavy eyelids open. Magical exhaustion had settled in and he felt like he was drugged.


'Pr'ff'sor?' he mumbled and Severus groaned in relief before pulling the boy into a hug, unknowingly tearing him from his fathers arms.


Harry leant against his Professors shoulder, enormously relieved to have been found. He blinked wearily at his dad, who sat just a few feet away.


'Sorry,' he whispered and James Potter smiled reassuringly.


'Don't be son, I'm glad he found you. Give your new dad a hug eh. He's been worried about you.'


Harry smiled and using the last bit of his strength wrapped his arms around the Potions Masters shoulders. 'Thanks for finding us,' he muttered. 'The headmasters arm is burnt. I couldn't heal it.'


'Shh, Harry. Don't worry about that now. Lets get you home shall we.'


Severus apparated to the cliff face above the bunker and lay Harry gently down on the grass. He winced as he saw the open wound on Harry's forehead. He could actually see the skull bone showing through.


'Try not to run off OK?' he said dryly and flashed away to get Albus.


He gathered up Harry and Albus's wand and packed Harry's cloak in his rucksack before transporting Albus up to the grass bank beside his apprentice.


'Harry, can you hold onto the portkey?'


Harry struggled into a semi prone position and took hold of one end of the quill that had been enchanted and Severus slipped his arm beneath the headmaster's shoulder.


He looked anxiously at the blood drenched teenager. 'Ready?'


Harry nodded and winced as Severus declared 'Sanctuary' and the world spun away.


)O(

To be continued...


This story archived at http://www.potionsandsnitches.org/fanfiction/viewstory.php?sid=2218