Days We Learn From by Whitetail
Summary: Harry and Hermione are de-aged to four year olds, and Snape is stuck looking after them.
Categories: Misc > All written in Snape's POV, Parental Snape > Guardian Snape Main Characters: .Snape and Harry (required), Draco, Hermione
Snape Flavour: Snape is Loving
Genres: Family, Humor, Hurt/Comfort
Media Type: None
Tags: Adoption, Child fic, Deaged!Harry, Deaging, Snape-meets-Dursleys
Takes Place: 5th Year
Warnings: Character Death
Challenges: None
Series: Days We Learn From
Chapters: 15 Completed: Yes Word count: 33315 Read: 155875 Published: 14 Aug 2010 Updated: 31 Oct 2010
Story Notes:

All recoginizable characters are the property of J.K Rowling. I am making no profit from this story.

Just so you know, there is some mild language in this story so if you aren't comfortable with it I would suggest not reading this.

 

***

On a side note, the third installment of this series is now up. Funny how that happens. I never planned to do three stories in this series, but you know, sometimes I think the unexpected stories are the best ones.

1. A Disaster in the Making by Whitetail

2. The Fate of Severus Snape by Whitetail

3. That's it. I'm Banning Spaghetti! by Whitetail

4. The Perfect Gift by Whitetail

5. Revelations of the Granger Sort by Whitetail

6. Invasion of the Sickies! by Whitetail

7. With a Tug of the Heart by Whitetail

8. A Change of Fate by Whitetail

9. A Day With Draco by Whitetail

10. Fires of Change by Whitetail

11. Less than an Hour by Whitetail

12. Cheer Up Draco! by Whitetail

13. A Shift of Years by Whitetail

14. Setting Sail by Whitetail

15. Epilogue by Whitetail

A Disaster in the Making by Whitetail

Everybody has days in their lives that hurt; some have many, some have few. For me, every day hurts. But after the events that took place over Christmas holidays, 1995, I have found life hurts just a little less than it used to. No, I am not going to tell you why, you’ll just have to find out for yourself.

The past, whether one likes it or not, is what truly shapes a person. One can choose to rise above the pain, or let the waves of darkness pull you in. Once upon a time I was one of those who let myself become embittered with the dark. This led me to commit the biggest mistake of my life, one that I regret every second of my consciousness. Hell, my unconsciousness as well, even my dreams are plagued by the guilt that has seeped into my bones and refused to leave. Albus won’t quit telling me: "You didn’t know Severus, it wasn’t your fault." and "Would you have really relayed that message if you knew it concerned her?" and "Yes it was a foolish thing to do but you need to forgive yourself my boy." I am one hundred percent sure he’s a filthy hypocrite in telling me this but I still haven’t found the evidence (but not for lack of trying you know).

December the eighteenth was definitely far more painful than the majority of days I have experienced, but a rather different kind of painful. Whatever kind of painful, it certainly was horrible. The whole fiasco began when Potter walked into my classroom; it was last period, and the Friday before Christmas holidays: a terrible combination for fifth year students who haven’t enough brains to fill a teaspoon. Might I add that Potter certainly fits into that category? Well, perhaps it’s not all Potter’s fault; it was no help that the apple did not fall to far from the Malfoy family tree (the events of December the eighteenth have led me to believe the apple may have fallen on Draco’s head) and a certain blonde Slytherin decided to do something incredibly foolish, such as throw an extremely reactive ingredient into Potter’s badly brewed potion. Needless to say, after all of it was over I had a few small (do pardon the pun) problems on my hands.

Potter and Granger were turned into four year olds. Utterly fantastic, don’t you think? I had a marvellous time dragging the two of them off to the hospital wing as that bushy haired lunatic babbled on about ridiculous things while Potter stayed glued to my leg. Why the bloody hell he decided to hang on to me I’ll never know. At least I was able to deduce one thing from Potter’s clinging: their minds had been de-aged as well. There was no way Potter would ever do such a thing in his right mind.

"-and Daddy says that tadpoles grow up into frogs just like the dead one that I saw back in that dark room with all the weird steamy pots except they would be alive instead of dead and did you know that near my house there’s a pond with lots of frogs in it and where are we going because I’m really confused and I kind of have to pee and I don’t want to have an accident because I’m a big girl and I don’t have clean clothes with me and-" The Granger girl babbled her little bucky teeth off, with her impossible hair flying everywhere as I led her down the corridor. I must say that I feel rather sorry for her parents. Potter still hadn’t said a word, his big green eyes staring up at me in wonder.

"Would you get off of my leg?" I hissed at him. The boy let go as if he had been burned, making me feel slightly guilty. After all, he was only four… What the hell is wrong with you Snape! I am not going to let myself go soft. I shook my head to clear my thoughts, and concentrated on getting the two cretins to the matron.

"Poppy! I have a bit of a situation here!" I shouted as I walked through the hospital wing doors.

Poppy Pomfrey was greeted by two little children and an extremely distressed potions master. I can imagine it was a rather interesting sight for her. No matter. Within minutes she was cooing over the two and chuckling at the things Miss Granger was saying while she gave her a checkup.

"-are you a nurse because you wear one of those funny hats and I hope I’m not sick is that why I’m here and I really have to pee now so if you could show me where the bathroom is I’m a big girl and I can do it all by myself now but I still don’t know where the bathroom is and where am I?"

I gaped, she actually paused. And here I thought she didn’t breathe at all.

Poppy left briefly to show Granger the bathroom, leaving Potter and I alone. Wait, Potter! Oh great…

"Potter! Where are you?" I said loudly and grouchily.

"Right here," the little boy whispered from behind my cloak (how I didn’t hear him breathing…). "My name’s Harry. Potter's only my last name."

I didn’t answer.

"That girl talks a lot don’t she?" said Potter again quietly. I wasn’t sure why he was acting so quiet, seeing as he was the definition of the term "spoiled brat”.

"That I have to agree on Potter."

"Please don’t call me that. It’s Harry, just Harry," the boy asked, looking up to me. Was that pain I saw in his eyes? No, it was just my imagination.

"Severus, could you bring Harry over here for his check-up?" Poppy asked me, having returned with Miss Granger.

Thankfully Poppy had given her a lolly. Now the difference between Poppy Pomfrey and I is that Poppy would give Granger sweets for 'being a good girl for her check-up’, whereas I, Severus Snape, would have given Granger a bloody lolly just to shut her the hell up.

"My, you are quite skinny for your age …" Poppy said as she examined Potter.

"Everybody says that," Harry muttered.

"Do you get enough to eat Harry?" Madam Pomfrey asked kindly, continuing to wave her wand in all sorts of complicated patterns.

"Yes’m" Harry said, looking at his feet.

"Alright young man, you’re done," Poppy said, lifting him off the table. "And for being really good, you can pick a lolly too."

"For me?" The boy asked, staring at the jar she held out for him. It held a fairly good assortment of brightly colored lollies on sticks. Poppy nodded encouragingly.

"What’s the best kind?" he asked. I was a little shocked, I’d never heard a four year old ask that kind of question before.

"Ooh pick the green one it tastes like limes or the red one that tastes like cherry but I think I like the orange ones best because they taste like oranges and that’s the kind I have and if you like oranges you should pick the orange one!" Granger spouted before stuffing her orange lolly back into her mouth.

"I’ve never tried a limes but I think the green one looks yummy," Potter thought out loud, hesitantly picking a green lolly from the jar. "Thank you Ma’am."

"You are very welcome," Poppy said before turning to me. "The both of them are in good health, Mr. Potter is slightly underweight for his age but he has always been that way so I wouldn’t worry about it. Oh yes, while Miss Granger was in the bathroom I fire-called Albus and he should be here right away. Hopefully you will enlighten us as to how this potions accident occurred."

I nodded and sat down to wait for the headmaster, watching Potter and Granger interact with each other out of interest. The two sat on a bed, legs dangling.

"Mmm, it’s good!" Potter exclaimed in surprise as he put the lolly in his mouth.

"Well duh haven’t you had a lolly before?" Granger mumbled through her mouthful of candy. I listened, waiting for Potter’s answer.

"Aunt 'n Uncle don’t let me," he whispered before taking another lick.

Probably don’t want him to become a sugar crazed lunatic. So perhaps he was a little less spoiled than I thought, but still, he was Prince Potter.

"That’s okay my Mummy and Daddy don’t let me eat much sweets either because they’re dentists and they look after peoples teeth and they say the sugar in sweets will rot your teeth are your Aunt and Uncle dentists too?"

Potter shook his head.

"They just don’t let me."

***

"Now, I assure you Mr. Malfoy will be punished for his foolishness," I told the headmaster fifteen minutes later in Poppy’s office. The children were coloring pictures in the corner. "What on earth he was thinking… adding powdered unicorn horn to the potion.  Because of his idiotic mistake we now have two kids who need an extremely complex aging potion!"

Albus looked at me sympathetically before speaking. "I am sure you are up to the challenge."

"Oh yes, I am up to it alright," I scowled. "But I will need to know if there have been any changes in Potter or Granger. Botched potions can be tricky, it could begin to wear off or it might just stick."

"I guess that means we must keep them here for the holidays, if they must be monitored," Albus said, eyes twinkling. I could almost hear the gears and levers turning behind his skull. What on earth was he up to?

"Yes… but who will they stay with?" I said slowly, looking at Poppy.

"How about Minerva?" Albus suggested. I gaped.

"No, certainly not, she’s a dunce in potions and you know it! Remember when she somehow blew up the punch bowl at the staff windup last year?"

"I still wonder how she managed that," Poppy chuckled.

"Trust Minerva," Albus said with a laugh. "Well Severus, the only staff staying are Minerva, Poppy, Argus and I. Minerva cannot possibly and Argus is definitely out." All of us winced at the thought of Filch taking care of children. "Poppy is teaching a seminar during one of the weeks and I will be travelling off and on."

"You’re forgetting Headmaster, that I will be here as well. Hoping to get rid of me?" I sneered. Dumbledore smiled, eyes twinkling furiously. Wait …

"You’re joking!” I hissed angrily, glancing at the two little kids in the corner. "Me, look after children?!" Albus just smiled indulgently.

"You walked right into that one Severus," Poppy stated sympathetically. I glowered at her, and then at Dumbledore. But I could see there was no getting out of this.

The End.
End Notes:
I hope you enjoyed it. I would love to hear you opinions so please review!
The Fate of Severus Snape by Whitetail

My fate decided, I tromped off to the dungeons with two children in tow. Minerva had taken the liberty of going to Hogsmeade for clothing and a few toys, which she brought by floo to my quarters. At the moment she was down there setting up my spare room for the two little snotballs.

"Mr. Snape sir where do you live is it true my parents and Harry’s Uncle and Aunt went on holiday and magic really exists and we get to stay with you for a little while because they want to keep us safe and this castle is thousands of years old and-"

"Herm- he… Mynee I think Mr. Snape is a little like my Uncle and likes it better when we are quiet."

Thank you Potter, I appreciate it.

"Oh I didn’t realise we had to be quiet why didn’t you say so earlier Harry and sorry Mr. Snape for being annoying I hope you won’t suck my blood now because you are a vampire aren’t you?"

Oh, I could feel the throbbing in my temple. I quickly growled that I was not a vampire and if anyone mentioned that again I’d go and get bitten by one just so I could suck her blood. She shut up nicely. When I look back on it I do feel a tinge guilty, but it was an extremely taxing day and I hadn’t quite figured out how to cope with small children yet. This I learned quickly.

***

"Mr. Snape this book is weird and it’s trying to bite my feet could you please save me because it ate my sock and I’m a little worried it will get the other-" Granger said, shortly after a quick dinner of sandwiches.

I groaned inwardly while Minerva giggled herself to death; not a single student would believe just how much of a giggle-box Minerva McGonagall can be. With a wave of my wand I immobilised the book and put it up on a high shelf along with the others I had to move.

"Grange-" I began. Minerva glared. "Hermione, please do not touch my books, Minerva got you a few for you and Po-Harry and they are on the shelf over there." I pointed to the little toy cupboard in my newly outfitted spare room. With that she ran off babbling about reading.

"I must be going Severus," said Minerva, eyes alight with laughter. "Good luck."

Oh yes, good luck she says, knowing full well that I will need a whole cauldron of felix felicis to make it through this without dying a painful death. And to think the muggles go on about this Jeezus (or something along those lines) character who suffered and died. Well guess what? Severus Snape can’t come back to life after being mutilated by the demands of annoying children! Take that Jeezus! I scowled darkly again before bidding Minerva farewell. She only left after being hugged to death by Miss Granger (who had taken quite a liking to her) and she was given a shy goodbye from Potter.

"Where’s my toothbrush is it gone Mummy and Daddy will be unhappy if I don’t brush my teeth and they feel icky and I can’t go to sleep without my blanky have you seen it-" Hermione rushed off.

"In the bathroom drawer," I groaned, sinking onto the couch.

"My blanky is in the bathroom drawer that’s a weird place for it-"

"Not your blanket, your toothbrush!" I exclaimed, rolling my eyes as she let out a long “Ohhhh!”

"Mr. Snape Sir, what’s your cat’s name?" Harry whispered, stroking my cat's ears.

"Hmm?" I looked up wearily. "That’s Munkastrap." Munkastrap was a very good looking cat, his black fur and white markings.

"That’s a funny name, where’d you get it from?"

"A friend of mine liked a musical called Cats. Munkastrap was one of the character’s names." I paused briefly, lost in thought. "She sang the songs from it day and night… I’ve never seen the musical but I know exactly what happens anyway," I finished, surprising myself a little bit. I hadn’t talked about Lily a lot to anyone really. Not that Potter knew it was his mother I was talking about; he didn’t need to know that.

"Can I call him Strap cuz I don’t think I can say M-mu ... I can’t say his name," Harry said embarrassed, burying his face in Munkastrap’s fur. The cat purred in response.

"He sounds alright with it." I said, chuckling slightly, a little taken aback at my cat liking Potter so much. He generally wasn’t too social; we were quite alike, Munkastrap and I. Oddly, the cat found something good in Potter. If Munkastrap liked him, maybe Potter wasn't all bad. I pondered on this for some time, watching Potter gently pat my cat. 

A loud series of knocks startled me into life again. They came from the door to my office, which was connected to my quarters.

"Ooh someone’s at the door someone’s at the door!" Granger screeched as I went out into the office to open the door.

Potter peered out from the entrance to my quarters as I opened it. Much to my surprise, Ronald Weasley stood there, looking sheepish and carrying two of the strangest items I figured he normally wouldn’t be caught dead with. In his arms was a worn, patched purple baby blanket and an extremely ratty stuffed red dinosaur.

"Blanky!" shouted Granger.

"Rexy!" cried Potter as the two ran toward Mr. Weasley.

"Rexy?" I whispered to Weasley, who just shrugged his shoulders and bent down to give the special items to the children.

"Here you go," he said, setting Potter’s stuffed dinosaur in his arms and giving the blanket to Granger.

"Oh thank so much who are you you look familiar do I know you where did you get Blanky I missed her she is my best friend!" she said, hugging her blanket then throwing her arms around Weasley, much to his surprise.

"My name’s Ron," he said when Granger let go, red and blushing. "Your Parents sent your Blanky Hermione, they knew you forgot it for your trip. And Harry, I wrote to your Aunt and Uncle, they sent Rexy by post."

"Thank you!" Harry said, smiling a shy smile, hugging the battered Red T-rex lovingly.

"You two run along and brush your teeth; I need to speak with Mr. Weasley alone," I said, taking pleasure in the look Mr. Weasley gave me. Yes, pure horror indeed.

"Come on Rexy, time to brush our teef!" Potter cried joyfully, following Granger.

"Am I in trouble sir?" Mr. Weasley asked hesitantly.

I chuckled rather evilly for a moment, just for kicks. Weasley looked terrified. And people say I have no sense of humor.

"For once no, I merely wanted to ask you something."

"What is that sir?" Weasley inquired, fidgeting.

"Where did you really get those? Owl post is not that fast and I know for sure both Potter and Granger’s families are not connected to the floo network," I said, narrowing my eyes and wondering if he did something illegal to get them.

"Oh, um …" Weasley squirmed. Ha! He must have broken rules! "I’ll only tell you if you don’t let Harry or Hermione know that I said this or make fun of them to anyone."

"Deal. Fire away," I said after a pause, I was burning to know what rules Weasley broke. His answer was nothing like I expected, however. If anything it was rather cute. Er… enlightening, yes, enlightening.

"Well, Harry still sleeps with Rexy, his mum gave it to him when he was a baby and it’s really special to him," Weasley said, defending his friend’s habit. "And Hermione always has her blanky when she travels, she really dreads getting sick and she still likes it around when she is. I know because she got a cold at my house over the summer once," he added the last part hastily at my scowl.  "Oh, and McGonagall went up to fetch it for me, as I can’t get into the girl’s dorm."

"I won’t say a thing Weasley," I replied after a moment, dropping the steely tones. "You aren’t such a terrible friend to them after all. Five points to Gryffindor, I suppose." The children hopefully would be more settled, so I supposed I might as well praise him in the only way I knew how. 

Weasley must have gotten the point behind it for he briefly grinned like an idiot before I shooed him away. I wondered what golden trio would say If they knew I still had my favourite hippogriff quilt for when I was ill as well. No matter. If they found out I’d obliviate them.

A few minutes later I stood, arms folded, against the bathroom doorframe while the two kids brushed their teeth, or at least attempted to.

"Harry you’re supposed to brush your teeth for two minutes not thirty seconds your teeth will get icky if you don’t brush longer!" Granger scolded before stuffing her toothbrush back into her mouth. She looked a little deranged with all that foam on her face; it was really quite funny.

"But Mynee, my uncle Vernon says it’s better when I brush my teef quick," Potter said softly.

"Why why why?"

"Uncle Vernon says freaks don’t get to have nice teef," mumbled Potter.

Wait, what? Freaks don’t get nice teeth? What the hell was he going on about? That sounded like it came straight from Petunia’s mouth. Seeing as she had frequently indulged in her favourite insult while I was around: “Severus Snape you freak!”

"You aren’t a freak Harry you are very nice so I think you should have nice teeth so brush away why don’t you!" Granger exclaimed before spitting a bunch of toothpaste into the sink. She was followed by Potter, who sprayed a bit.

"Potter, you are getting toothpaste on my mirror," I scolded lightly. He looked up at me, eyes wide and rocking back and forth on the balls of his feet.

"S-sorry sir," he said, shaking a bit. "I didn’t mean to, don’t be mad."

"I am not angry, I just want you to try not to do that again," I said, lowering my voice a bit in order not to frighten him.

What was with this kid? Something about the way he acted was setting alarm bells off somewhere deep inside me. I ignored these and waved my wand at the dirty mirror, ridding it of the flecks of toothpaste.

"See, the mirror is clean again," I told him.

"You’re not gonna punish me?" he whispered, green eyes peeking out from his messy black hair to look at me.

"No, it was an accident," I said calmly, but on the inside I was feeling everything but calm, for the young boy before me had suddenly reminded me of myself as child. I knew someone who would punish for something as silly as that. But his aunt and uncle couldn’t be anything like my father could they? Mind you, Petunia might have gotten along well with old Tobias Snape; they both thought I was worthless. Arseholes.

All of this made little sense to me. Surely Potter wasn’t … was he? No, he can’t have been. Potter was a prince, a spoiled brat! Wasn’t he? I shook my head, clearing all thoughts and following the kids out of the bathroom.

"Mr. Snape?" Granger inquired, suddenly shy as she tugged at my robe. I looked down at her.

"Yes?"

"W-will you read me a book? Mummy and Daddy always read to me before bed," she said in a small voice.

"Er, alright. Go and pick out a book. And Harry, you can pick one too," I replied.

  I was suprrised to find that it was worth adding that last part to see the boy smile. It was remarkable how it looked almost identical to Lily’s. Funny how I didn’t see her in him before.  I suddenly felt a fleeting wish to see that little smile more often. 

"And get your pyjamas on as well!" I added as they ran into their room.

"Okay I will and then I’ll pick out a book to read and Harry put your pyjamas on first then you can pick one out and I like your batman pants I like batman he reminds me of the man out there except Mr. Snape’s kinda scary looking but he’s kinda nice and-’

I rolled my eyes; trust Granger to compare me to a muggle superhero. Actually, that reminded me of when I was really young and I used to put my mum’s red cape on and pretend I was Superman and that Lily was Lois La … Er … OBLIVIATE!!

Anyway. In a few minutes I had both children in their pyjamas and sitting on either side of me on the sofa. I waited for them to settle in before I spoke.

"Okay Hermione, we’ll read your book first because you were the one that suggested reading, and then we will read Harry’s. Is that alright?"

They nodded.

"Yes here it is it’s a good looking book and I think I’ve read this book before and I liked it-"

"I will start if you can be quiet Hermione," I said rather irritably. Ha-Potter giggled as he cuddled “Rexy”.

"Green Eggs and Ham, by Doctor Seuss," I began. Trust Granger to pick something that would get my tongue in knots. I’ll have to thank Minerva for the book - a nice howler should do.

By the time I had finished the first book I had reconsidered the howler and decided that it was actually a rather fun book to read. Not that I’d ever admit it to anyone. Potter looked at me expectantly and so I asked for his book. He grinned and handed it over, not letting go of that ratty dinosaur for an instant.

"What is it ooh what’s it called?" Granger asked, dragging her blanky with her as she practically climbed on me to see the title.

"My Dog Rosie," I told her as I opened the book. Potter edged closer and leaned cautiously on my arm to see the pictures. For some reason I didn’t mind.

Halfway through, Granger fell asleep, snuggling into my side as Potter did his best to keep his eyes open. By the time I was finished Har-Potter was snuggled into my arm and looking as if he would drop off any moment.

"Bedtime Harry," I whispered so as not to wake Granger. She was much quieter asleep.

Potter got up slowly, swaying from exhaustion. He looked like he would fall over any moment so I edged off the couch and picked him up, awkwardly carrying him to his bed. He seemed a little surprised, almost as if he was not carried often, but he soon relaxed. It was strange to have a child in my arms, light as a very small cauldron, but with the fragile feeling of life that was quite unlike any cauldron could be.

When I entered the children’s room I saw that Minerva had done plenty of decorating. The room had light yellow walls with a border of dragons near the ceiling. There were two small beds, one with a flowery purple bedspread on it and the other with a blue bedspread with stars on it. I carried the boy over to the bed with stars and set him down. He looked a little confused.

"What’s wrong?" I inquired, wondering what it could possibly be this time.

"Why did you put me on the nice bed?" Potter asked in a hushed and confused tone.

"It is your bed," I stated, feeling just as confused as the four year old in front of me.

"Aunt Petunia says I don’t deserve a room or nice bed."

"Does she?" I forced my face to stay calm, but my blood was boiling. I’d have to have a chat with old Tuney.

"Well, as long as you are in my home you get a nice bed because your aunt is wrong, you do deserve a nice bed and room. Don’t you listen to what that woman says," I told him, unconsciously lifting the covers and tucking them around the boy.

"’Kay," Harry smiled, cuddling his Rexy.

"Goodnight Harry," I said before retrieving Hermione and putting her to bed. She was totally knocked out. She didn’t even stir.

***

As I lay in bed that night I realised that I had seen a whole new side of Harry Potter, one I’d never known existed. One I had never even considered existed. In such a short time I had finally come to understand that he was very little like James Potter, if anything Harry was a lot like me as a child. This thought brought a few of Harry’s words to the front of my mind once again. I whispered them aloud in a moment of revelation.

"Potter is only my last name…"

He was right, wasn’t he. More than he knew. The comments he'd made about his relatives made me sick. And to think, I had never realized ...

Despite my troubled thoughts, I smiled slightly as I recalled the way his face lit up when I told him he could pick a book as well. He looked just like Lily. It was that thought that took me off to sleep, and I fell into a deep slumber, sleeping far better than I had in years.

Until Granger woke me up.

"Mr. Snape sir Harry’s making scared noises in his sleep I think he’s having a bad dream and I really think you should come sir because he looks really scared-" Hermione said breathlessly as she poked my forehead.

"Ungg," I said unintelligibly as I opened my eyes. They were greeted by the sight of two large brown eyes and a mass of bushy hair. Damn, and here I thought all of this had been a dream.

"Okay, okay 'm coming," I mumbled sleepily as Granger tugged at my sleeve.

Putting my dressing gown over my faded flannel pyjamas, I followed the little girl into her and Harry’s room. Once inside Hermione jumped up onto her bed and hugged her blanky, watching the scene play out.

"Harry, Harry," I said, rubbing his shoulder to get him to wake.

The boy was mumbling and shaking in his sleep, the blankets twisted around him. Rexy had fallen on the floor; I picked him up and sat him next to Potter. Suddenly the boy’s eyes snapped open. He gasped and grabbed his dinosaur, burying his face in it’s worn material as soft sobs wracked his body.

"What happened, Harry?" I asked gently.

"Don' wanna talk 'bout it," he mumbled through Rexy.

"Please tell me, you’ll feel better if you do," I wheedled, wondering what sort of monster was plaguing his dreams. Serpent, dragon, giant spider, what?

Harry looked up at me from behind the faded red dinosaur.

"The bad man."

"The bad man?" I asked, puzzled. "What did he do?"

"He made the green light get me," whispered Harry as he rubbed his scar, tears now running down his face.

Oh, that monster.

I had bad dreams about that monster too.

I sighed, surprising myself and Potter by pulling him into a hug, my own memories of nightmares getting to me. I had had no idea that he still dreamed about the night his parents were killed. No kid should have to see that. The recreation of the death of Lily (something I had not even been present for) very nearly wrenched me in two each time that I woke in a sweat, her eyes swimming with tears before me, not unlike mine. 

"Cross my heart Harry, the bad man will never get you while I’m around," I said as I felt Harry’s grip tighten around me, as if he was afraid for me to let go. I could feel him shaking, something that scared me deep down, although I would not dmit that to anyone. What this boy had gone through, what I thought he’d been through … I suddenly wished to leave old prejudices behind, and make it all better. This was not James Potter. 

"Is Harry okay he looks sad who’s the bad man and what’s with the green light I really don’t think it sounds too scary but should I be scared because-" Granger spouted, poking her head over the side of the bed.

"Go to bed Hermione," I sighed. "The both of you don’t need to be afraid while I’m around."

The End.
End Notes:
* My Dog Rosie was written by Isabelle Harper and Barry Moser. It was one of my favorite books as a little kid.

Thanks to everybody who reviewed the first chapter!
That's it. I'm Banning Spaghetti! by Whitetail

"Hey Mr. Snape what are you doing are you making soup because I don't think I’d like to eat bats and hair in my soup or are you making a really weird candle my mummy makes candles she melts stuff to make them only she puts pretty things like shells in them not bats and hair and they smell nice except for when you light other things on fire with them like once when-"

"Hermione, I am making a potion. Some potions, like this one, help people get better," I said, thinking on how much better it would be once the children were re-aged and I could brew in peace. A part of me said that I might just miss the little idiots. I ignored it.

"Mr. Snape sir, what’s in this?" Harry inquired, pointing at a box full of jars on one of the shelves.

"The box of jars that’s got a blue label on it?" I asked, taking a sideways glance.

"Yeah."

"That one would be full of frog innards," I answered smoothly as I poured a drop of bat’s blood into the potion. Dang, turned pink. I figured I’d need to examine Potter’s potion further to see exactly what he did wrong.

"What’s innurds?" Harry asked.

"Guts!" Hermione spouted enthusiastically. Impressive vocabulary for a four year old. Mind you, this was Granger we were talking about. Though it did stand to question where exactly she heard the word innards.

"Eww…" Harry groaned, pulling a face. That’s right kid, you had to disembowel just about the entire contents of that box during detention. Funny how his expression hadn’t changed a bit when it came to frog guts.

***

That day I decided to brave the Great Hall for lunch, seeing as all of us were getting quite restless. Once Harry had gotten his shoes on the right feet (Hermione of course had no trouble with that. She did however need help tying her shoes.) I led them both out of my office and into the corridor.

Thankfully there were not many students staying for the holidays. Just a few Hufflepuff girls and a Ravenclaw boy. They had been sworn not to say a word of the whole fiasco. So I was able to escape the dungeons (contrary to popular belief I do get tired of them) and burn off a bit of energy, mainly in Granger.

"Wow did you see that picture it moved this is so fun look at the pretty trees up ahead is Christmas coming I didn’t know it was-"

"That is the Great Hall up ahead you two," I said. "We are eating lunch there. I want the both of you to stay close to me as we go in all right?" Harry nodded quietly.

"Yes sir I will can we go check out those trees I love Christmas it’s great because Mummy and Daddy let me eat more biscuits than normal and I get new books to read and I love decorating Christmas trees can we decorate one with you Mr Snape do you even got a tree-" Hermione bubbled. I rolled my eyes once again.

When we entered the hall Hermione fell silent. I paused a moment in the doorway. It really did look spectacular. Those beautiful trees had always been the only good part about Christmas for me as I didn’t really have anyone to spend it with.

Within a moment Hermione was back at it, and I continued down the room toward a little table for the few people left at Hogwarts. Out of the corner of my eye I saw Harry’s eyes widen as he took in the splendor of the decorations. He looked slightly frightened, and I could see him withdrawing into his shell. Harry slipped his hand into mine while Hermione skipped ahead. I was a little touched. But just a little,mind you. I didn’t say a lot!

"Hello, you must be Hermione," one of the Hufflepuff girls said. "I like your dress. Purple is my favourite color."

"Mine too I love purple but blue is pretty good too can I sit next to you you’re really nice-"

"I’d love for you to sit next to me," the girl said, patting the chair beside her. Hermione smiled and jumped up.

"Oh, and here’s Harry. How are you?" said the Hufflepuff. Harry looked at me and hid his face in my robes. I fidgeted as the girls broke into a wave of 'Aww isn’t he cute!'s.

"Why don’t you sit here Severus?" Dumbledore suggested, waving his hand at the two seats next to him. I was very thankful because I did not by any means wish to sit next to a bunch of giggly Hufflepuffs.

"Come on Harry, you have to let go of me so you can sit down," I said in a whisper only he could hear. Harry hung on to me tighter. I wracked my brain for an idea, which came quite quickly after glancing at the food selection. Thankfully it was a cold day, meaning that the food reflected on that. "There’s beef stew. I know you like beef stew."

"Beef stew?" Harry asked hopefully.

I nodded and he let go of me. While picking him up and setting him on a chair I congratulated myself on recalling the things Potter most frequently inhaled at mealtimes. Among the things to disappear the fastest were treacle tart, beef stew, and toast with peanut butter. It certainly paid to watch troublemakers like Potter for signs of mischief. Although I never thought it would help me out in this way. 

Within a few minutes both Harry and I were happily munching on warm beef stew and marvelling at how Hermione was better with a fork and knife than half the boys and girls in Ravenclaw. Why however, she decided to cut her beef stew with a knife and fork was anybody’s guess, but one could not deny that she was good at it.

"Severus, I would like to inform you that bath night will be tonight," Minerva said to me, matter of factly toward the end of lunch.

"What the devil are you going on about?"

"Well, I went down to the kitchens this morning to deliver a message for Albus, and out of curiosity I asked what the menu was for today. They’re making pasta and meat sauce for dinner."

"Oh no," I groaned. Minerva patted my hand sympathetically, grinning like the devil incarnate all the while. This made the Hufflepuffs look a little worried.

***

Minerva was right to tell me that bath night would be that night. By the end of the evening meal both Harry and Hermione were covered head to toe in tomato sauce. The rest of the staff present of course found this hilarious and took to giving me advice on which soap brands worked the best. Filch even suggested I say to hell with it and just dunk them both in Mrs. Skowers all purpose magical mess remover, which is actually quite corrosive. Needless to say I was the only one who found that funny. In fact Minerva found it so not funny that she smacked me across the back of the head for laughing. And naturally the students found that funny. That woman sure did relax during the holidays, and I bloody hated it. It was the number one reason for me getting a scolding in public at least once every Christmas. Barmy old Witch ... 

***

"I don’t wanna have a bath," Harry protested, shaking his head.

"I’m sorry Harry but you are covered in tomato sauce, I cannot let you go to bed like that!" I pleaded, almost at my wits end. "Besides, Minerva got some nice bubbles for the bath and even a few toys."

"Toys for the bath?" Harry asked, eyes widening. Hah! I’d found a weak spot.

"Yes, toys! If you get in you can play with them," I bargained. Harry looked from me to the bath, where Hermione was splashing and playing.

I had figured it would take way too long to bathe them separately and I was definitely not leaving one of the alone when they could easily get into my private lab and destroy everything. Besides, they were four. Okay, and it would be hilarious when they were re-aged and they looked at each other and said in horror: “Oh gross I had a bath with you!

"'Kay," Harry smiled, letting me help him out of his clothes and set him in the soapy water.

"Look Harry it’s a rubber ducky and the bubbles are really pretty aren’t they and they must be magic because they are really big and some of them are in funny shapes and colors-" bubbled Hermione.

"Wow Mynee, lookit, lookit!" Harry said, pointing at a little toy tug boat ploughing through foam.

"Hey Harry look at this I have a beard!" Hermione giggled, smearing her face with foam. Harry burst out laughing with her. I found myself joining them in laughter; she really looked a mess with her face still covered in sauce and the foam just about everywhere but her eyes.

"Mynee, Mynee I have funny hat like Dumledoor!" Harry giggled, piling bubbles on top of his head. This set them off into another wave of laughter.

"Alright, giggle boxes I have to shampoo your hair. How you got sauce in is beyond me…" I said, chuckling at the children’s antics. Feeling rather mischievous myself as I scrubbed shampoo into Harry’s hair, I decided to smooth it up into a spike. I whistled innocently while Hermione laughed and pointed.

"Lookee Harry Mr. Snape made your hair all funny!" she cried as I held up a little mirror for Harry to see. He promptly burst out laughing as well.

Finally they were all clean and wrapped in towels, standing on a very wet bathroom rug. I do believe I was just about as wet as soapy as the rug.

I herded the sleepy kids out of the bathroom and into their room so they could get their pyjamas on. With a little help from myself Harry was all buttoned up in a fuzzy blue sleeper and Hermione had her nightdress on the right way.

"Now both of you go back to the bathroom and brush your teeth." I said.

"’Kay!" Harry said, dragging Rexy with him.

"I will brush my teeth really well and then we can read a book and-"

I chuckled and sat down at the table.

"You know, they are kind of sweet," I said to myself quietly as Hermione began singing a song about clean teeth.

"That you are correct in my boy," said a voice.

"Wahg!" I exclaimed, nearly falling out of my chair in surprise as I fumbled for my wand. I swung around to face the intruder, arm outstretched and ready for battle.

"Oh. It’s you," I grimaced, lowering my wand. "If you ever do that again Albus I will personally hex you into next week!"

"Be nice, Severus," The Headmaster warned, chuckling.

"I’d be nicer if you would knock first! How long have you been here for?" I growled.

"Oh, not too long," Albus said casually, eyes twinkling.

"Define not too long," I told him.

He did not get a chance to answer however, as a certain bushy haired girl came out of the bathroom to see what the commotion was.

"Hey you’re interrupting story time Mr. Dumblebore and I don’t think you should be here shouldn’t you be getting ready for bed and brushing your teeth-"

"I am so sorry, I did not realise it was story time," Albus apologise, eyes laughing at me. I scowled, making him laugh out loud. It was a moment before he recovered.

"I suppose I should go then. I just dropped by to give you the special ingredient for your potion Severus," He finished, setting a little package on my table before going heading toward the door.

"Goodbye brush your teeth it’s a good idea you know and don’t let the sugar bugs bite!" Hermione spouted as he opened the door.

"Thank you Headmaster," I said rather stiffly.

"You are most certainly welcome. Oh, and Severus?"

"Yes?" I drawled, wondering what it could possibly be.

"You have bubbles in your hair."

And with that he was off, giggling like a ninny.

"That man …" I scowled.

"Can we read now Mr. Snape?" Harry whispered, tugging at my cloak.

"Yes," I said, taking his hand and leading him to the sofa along with Hermione.

***

The next morning found myself and Minerva in my quarters, helping two wiggly children into mittens and shoes.

"Hermione dear, come over here, you need to wear a woolly hat," Minerva said as Hermione bounced up and down.

"We’re going Christmas shopping we’re going Christmas shopping-" she sang happily, obediently dancing over to Minerva so she could have a hat put on her.

"No Harry, that mitten goes on your right hand," I corrected patiently while tucking away a lose string on his rather lumpy jumper.

Minerva and I had shrunk a few of the children’s clothes in order to fit them, as Dumbledore was unable to provide too much money from the school. Besides, we could easily resize the clothing again. Among the items we shrunk were their mittens, woolly hats and jumpers. Harry’s jumper looked as if Molly Weasley had made it, as I had seen her numerous children sporting one each during the holidays. I could only assume she had knitted one for Harry, seeing as Petunia was hardly one to knit.

"Okay, is everybody ready to go?" I inquired, running one last check to see if each child had all their clothes on the right places.

"Yes yes yes come on I can’t wait let’s go-" gushed Hermione, pulling the chords on her hat.

Harry, being the calm one, just smiled and nodded. Who would ever have imagined that he would be the calm one? The thought made me shake my head in amazement. He sure had changed. Perhaps it is you that has changed, I wondered to myself.

"Now has everyone gone to the bathroom?" I asked sternly once I had put my thoughts aside. Both children nodded.

"She didn’t," Hermione stated, pointing to Minerva. The corner of my mouth twitched.

"Minerva is a big girl, and she can decide if she has to go or not," I said, trying my best not to laugh at Minerva’s embarrassed expression.

"Time to go kids," Minerva rushed, opening the door and herding the children out.

I grabbed her arm before she could follow, making her turn around.

"You know Minerva, it is a long way to Hogsmeade; perhaps you should go to the bathroom," I said in my most serious voice.

That comment earned me a nice smack over the back of the head. She scowled as I began to laugh despite the pain. The children stared for a moment before continuing.

"’Nerva, why did you hit Mr. Snape? And how come he laughed?" Harry asked in a whisper, tugging at her sleeve as we walked down the corridor.

"Because he wasn’t acting his age and is laboring under the delusion that he’s funny," Minerva said rather louder than necessary, forgetting to use simpler words in her anger.

"Um, 'Kay," Harry said slowly, eyes widening at the word usage.

"Christmas shopping Christmas shopping yay yay yay-" sang Hermione as we passed a couple of Hufflepuffs.

Harry looked at the students warily. He shifted closer to me and slipped his tatty grey mitten into my green one. For some reason, I did not mind that the students saw. For my mind was focused entirely on the skittish little boy next to me, whose small hand I gave a squeeze of reassurance. I was rewarded with a shy smile, and for that short moment, it felt like I had been given the world.

The End.
End Notes:
It will be at least a week until the next update, I will be having a blast at summer camp!
I hope you liked the chapter, please review. :)
The Perfect Gift by Whitetail
Author's Notes:
Yay! Another chapter!

"Hey Mr. Snape let’s play I spy I love that game ok I’ll go first I spy with my little eye something white now you guess what white thing I see go on guess guess guess-’ Hermione said as the four of us rode to the Hogwarts gate in a carriage. I sighed reluctantly before answering.

"The snow?" I asked flatly.

"How’d you guess?!!?" she cried, flabbergasted.

"Er … Because it’s everywhere," I said gloomily, glancing out the frosted window of the carriage and into the swirl of snowflakes.

"You know Severus, I don’t think I’ve ever seen this much snow!" Minerva exclaimed, forgetting she wasn’t speaking to me.

Minerva wasn’t the only one; I had never seen the castle so heaped in the stupid white stuff. It was so deep that the carriage got stuck twice and I was nominated to go out into the freezing cold to get us moving again. The worst part was that the snow wasn’t stopping anytime soon, or at least according to the wireless.

"Minerva, perhaps you and Hermione should floo straight back to my place after, instead of all of us meeting in the square when we are done shopping. The storm is getting worse. Besides, I haven’t much to find and will no doubt be done earlier than you two."

"That sounds fine by me," replied Minerva as the carriage stopped with a bump.

"Oh my, I would have put a second jumper on the children if I’d known it would get this bad!" Minerva said as we got out into the snow.

"Brrr!" Harry said as he shivered. I picked him up and held him close; next to me Minerva did the same with Hermione.

Before following Minerva through the gate I gave the thestral that had pulled the carriage a nice scratch on the back as thanks. It had worked very hard that trip, and certainly deserved it. Harry however, didn’t see my action, for he had buried his head into my cloak.

***

"What would you like to get Hermione for a Christmas gift?" I asked Harry once we were standing in the cheery square of Hogsmeade. Here the storm seemed far friendlier, but the wind was still rather fierce.

"I don' know, I never had a friend to get a gift for before," Harry replied, leaning against my leg as he held my hand. No friends… Who does that sound like, eh Sev?

"Well what does she like?" I asked.

"She likes books."

"Then let’s go to the bookstore," I said, leading him over to a little shop to my left.

Once inside the storm was all but a faint swishing of snow brushing against the shop’s window.

Toasty warmth washed over us as we browsed the tall rickety shelves for a book that Hermione might like. Harry looked with the same determination of a man trying to find a ring for his bride to be; in his eyes it had to be just right. He would occasionally ask for me to read aloud the title, and sometimes even flip through a few pages of the hopefuls. But every time he would set the book back on the shelf with a shake of his head. I wondered what he was looking for exactly. I had never seen a child so dedicated before.

We finally found it - a small blue book resting on the top shelf at the very back of the shop. It looked out of place, rather as if it had been forgotten where it lay.

"What does that blue book say?" Harry asked, pointing up.

"Er, I can’t tell, it’s all dusty," I said, squinting at the little book. "I can’t reach it either. Come over here Harry."

"Why?" he asked curiously, glancing behind his shoulder to look at me.

"I’m going to lift you up so you can get the book." I said. He smiled and walked over to me, holding his hands up.

"’Kay, I’m ready!" he said.

I lifted him up and sat him on my shoulders; he reached his little arm above his head and grabbed the book with ease. He dusted it off with his scarf.

"I like the cover," he said, sounding quite pleased. He handed it down to me. "What does it say?"

"It’s called 'Best Friends', and it’s a fill in the blank book," I replied, thumbing through the pages with interest.

"Fill in the blank?" Harry asked, looking down at the book.

"In this book you get to write you and your friend’s name, so the story is about both of you."

"Can we get this one for Hermione?" Harry asked as I lifted him off my shoulders and set him on the ground.

"Yes we can," I replied before handing the book to Harry. He held it close and smiled.

***

"But I don’t wanna get eated by a fireplace!" Harry shook his head ten minutes later with tears in his eyes. "Please don’t feed me to the fireplace!"

Harry seemed quite frightened by the thought of travelling by floo powder. His face had gone a pale white shortly after seeing a man disappear in the emerald flames a moment earlier, and I had been having a difficult time getting him to believe me in the fact that it was really just a mode of transportation.

"We’ll go together Harry, I’ll hang onto you the whole way!" I said desperately as I knelt by the hearth.

"You’ll make sure it spits me out?"

"Yes, I will not let the fireplace eat you."

"Promise?"

"I Promise."

"’Kay," Harry said finally, leaning into my arms. Much to my chagrin the female occupants of the three broomsticks let out a loud chorus of “aww!"s.

"Ok, now hold on tight to me and close your eyes. This might make you a bit dizzy," I said as I picked him up, ignoring the comments on just how “Sweet” the both of us were.

I threw a handful of floo powder and stepped into the green flames. Harry tensed against my chest.

"Severus Snape’s quarters, Hogwarts!"

***

"Do you feel sick to your stomach Harry?" I asked after setting Harry down in my kitchen.

"Nuh uh," he said.

"Are you sure?"

"Yes," Harry said adamantly a moment before throwing up on the floor.

"Apparently not," I said, vanishing the mess and carrying the sick little boy to the bathroom.

I gave him a teaspoon of Children’s Stomach Soother and washed his face with a cloth, all the while he sat on the bathroom counter.

"Do you feel better now?" I asked softly, concerned.

"Yeah, 'm sorry," he said, tears slipping down his pale cheeks.

"Shh, you don’t need to be sorry," I said, pulling him into my arms.

"But I made a mess," Harry sniffed from my arms, looking fearfully into my eyes.

"All kids make messes sometimes Harry, I did the same thing the first time my mother took me through the floo," I said, rubbing his back. It seemed to have a calming effect on him.

"You did?" Harry asked incredulously as I took him into the living room.

"You bet I did. Only I puked all over her shoes, and in public too!" I said, recalling the incident.

"Was your mummy mad?"

"No, she was a good mummy. She got me all cleaned up and gave me a hug." I sighed with a slight longing in my voice. I missed my mother. Thirteen is far too young to lose a parent … It was difficult after that with only my father, strict as he was.

"Are you my Daddy?" Harry asked out of the blue, breaking the silence and making me sit down on the sofa to recover from the shock.

"What makes you think that?" I asked curiously, but not unkindly.

"Well, you tuck me in at bedtime and … and give me hugs when I’m sad. You do everything a daddy does," he said with all his four year old wisdom.

"I’m sorry Harry, but I’m not your daddy, he died when you were young." I said heavily, resting my chin on his messy hair.

"I know… but I wish-" he started, but fell silent.

"What do you wish?"

"That you really were my daddy and I could stay with you instead of go back to my Aunt 'n' Uncle’s," he whispered. Me too kid, me too.

Wait, where the heck did that come from?! Did I just think that? But at that moment I knew that it was true. This Harry, the one that needed someone there, wasn’t just a product of being de-aged. I hadn’t seen it before, but the older Harry was the same way. His friends meant the world to him, and now I knew why: because he had no one else. And from that moment I intended to be that someone else, the person he could run to. Potter or not.
The End.
End Notes:
I know this one is a bit shorter than usual but I thought it ended much better this way. Like always, I would love to hear your opinions! Sorry for the delay, I was busy making s'mores at camp! :)
Revelations of the Granger Sort by Whitetail

Harry and I had just finished filling in the blanks of Hermione’s storybook when Minerva and Hermione tumbled out of the floo, literally.

"I really don’t like travelling that way," Minerva said, attempting to stand up, only to fall ungracefully on her rump once more.

Hermione of course, was already up and ready to wrap her gift for Harry.

"Come on ’Nerva let’s wrap gifts but we can’t let them see come on we can wrap them in my room if Harry promises to stay out while we wrap the gifts come on come on-"

"I’m coming dear, I’m coming," said Minerva shakily as got up to follow Hermione.

"Little too much Firewhisky Minerva?" I joked.

"Shut it Severus," she said grouchily as she grasped at the door frame to keep her legs from giving out.

"Is she allowed to talk that way?" Harry marvelled, wide eyes looking up at me. I chuckled a bit.

"Come on kiddo, you and I can wrap Hermione’s gift in my room," I said, leading him by the hand.

"’Kay!" he said enthusiastically.

***

Long after Minerva had left and all the gifts were wrapped, Harry was in his bed having a nap. Hermione was not tired so I let her color quietly at the table. It was almost lunchtime when she came to me, shoes in hand.

"Mr. Snape can you teach me to tie my shoes I really wanna learn and I couldn’t get it right before can you show me?" she asked shyly.

"Alright," I said, setting down my book and sitting next to her on the floor. I wracked my brains to recall how my mother taught me.

"Okay I’m ready!"

"First you cross the laces over like this," I said, demonstrating on her left foot. "Now you try on the other foot."

"Got it!"

"Then you make a loop."

"Done!"

"Next the er… rabbit runs around the loop and goes down it’s hole. Like this," I said, recalling that my mother actually used a niffler as an example but Hermione would not have know what that was.

"I did it!" she said happily.

"Good job Hermione, now try it on your own," I said, untying one of her shoes for her to try again."

"Cross it over… um, make a loop. Rabbit runs around the loop and goes down the hole," she said, giving the bow one final tug, only to have it fall apart. She looked at me sadly.

"Try again, you can do it," I encouraged.

"Cross it over, loop, rabbit runs around and goes down the hole," She repeated. Still it didn’t stick. She did this twice more before hanging her head.

"I- I mucked it up again!" Hermione told me.

"Just keep trying , you can do it, you did before," I said, but it seemed to have no effect.

"What if I can’t ever learn how to tie my shoes?" Hermione whispered tearfully.

"You will-’

"And if I can’t tie my shoes I gotta wear velcro ones and everybody's gonna make fun of me and I won't have friends cause I can't get it r-right and I'm a f-faylure!" she cried, tears now running down her cheeks. I was  shocked by her statement.

From that moment on I understood why Hermione worked so hard to be the best. Hermione was afraid to fail. She wanted to show the world that she knew what she was doing, and she hoped that in doing that, others would like her. There certainly was more to that bushy haired girl than met the eye.

"You aren’t a failure Hermione," I whispered, pulling her into a hug. "The only thing that makes someone a failure is if they stop trying. And I know you won’t give up, because you are not a failure, you’re a winner."

"I am?" Hermione whispered.

"Yes you are. Are you ready to try again?"

"Yes!" She said, letting go of me and giving me a determined grin.

***

"I tied that myself I did it Mr. Snape taught me how to you know he is very smart-" Hermione bragged of her success to a group of Hufflepuffs during lunch. I snickered at her comment on my intellect.

"Well Severus, aren’t you a talent. You know, you can get a raise for being so good with students," Minerva said, taking a bite of soup.

"Really?" I asked hopefully.

"No I’m just yanking your chain," Minerva laughed.

"I hate you," I replied sourly. That woman.

"Hey, it’s not my fault you’re as gullible as a bunch of first years," she said.

"I am not!" I cried, setting down my teacup with a clatter. The students stared.

"Oh yes you are. Remember the time I told you that there was a secret storeroom in your potions classroom and you spent hours knocking on the walls to see if it was true?" she snorted, revelling in her genius.

"I was checking to see if the stones were loose - it was coincidence that you mentioned that to me," I said grumpily. "And it wasn’t hours it was maybe fifteen minutes.

"Sure, you just keep telling yourself that."

The students began snickering. So naturally I pulled my wand out and started to polish it with a bit of my robe while glaring menacingly. They stopped. Harry looked a little scared, so I put it away fairly quickly. Pity, it was funny to watch those students squirm.

***

"Mynee, wanna color pitures with me?" Harry asked that evening, holding his coloring book out. Hermione, who had snuggled up next to my side while I read, shook her head. She was being awfully quiet; it was rather worrisome.

"Hermione, are you feeling alright?" I inquired, putting down my book to feel her forehead. It was blazing hot.

"I have ickies Mr. Snape," she whimpered, tears running down her flushed cheeks. "I hate ickies."

Well that was just great; Poppy had left to teach her seminar two days earlier, and wouldn’t be back until tomorrow night. I was on my own.

"Does your stomach hurt?" I asked, attempting to figure out what she had caught.

"No."

"Do you feel achy?"

"Yes I do it hurts everywhere."

'Are you itchy?'

'No no no."

"Is your nose stuffed up?"

"Yeah it feels yucky."

"Do you feel shivery?"

"Really really s-sh-shivery!"

"It sounds like you have a nasty cold," I said. "Let me take your temperature." I grabbed a thermometer and popped it in her mouth, instructing her to keep it there. Then I went to my potions storeroom to find a bottle of Children’s Pepperup and one of Fever Reducer. Luckily for me, the school had to stock Children’s Pepperup because eleven and twelve year olds weren’t able to take the adult version, seeing as it was just a little too powerful for them

I grabbed the potions before retrieving Hermione from my chair and setting her down on the kitchen counter. Once I  pulled the thermometer out of her mouth, and determined she had a heck of a fever, I took out a spoon and poured out a dose of Pepperup.

"Open up," I said, holding the spoon in front of Hermione. She obediently opened her mouth for the potion.

"Eeeww!" Hermione said, looking at me as if I had betrayed her.

"I know, it tastes horrible, but it will help you feel better," I replied softly, pouring out a teaspoon of fever reducer, which was safe to mix with pepper-up. "One more and then you’re done, come on."

"Is this one gonna taste gross too?"

"Actually no, this one tastes a bit like cherries," I said truthfully. She looked at the potion warily for a moment before opening her mouth.

"Mmm! That one tasted nice!" Hermione cried happily, swinging her legs a little bit.

"And that’s why I gave it to you last," I chuckled, lifting her up and carrying her to her bed.

"Do I gotta go to bed early?" she asked sleepily as the fever reducer started to take effect; it tended to knock kids out pretty good.

"Yes you do," I told the little girl as I pulled out her favourite pair of purple pyjamas, which I helped her into before tucking her in.

"G’night Mr. Snape," Hermione said groggily, wrapping her arms around her blanky.

"Sleep well Hermione," I replied before shutting off the lights and leaving the room.

"Do I gotta go to bed early too? We only just had dinner!" Harry said in a tone that suggested I had committed a serious offence.

"No Harry, you aren’t sick," I said, taking my seat by the fire once again.

"Oh, okay," he said happily, sitting down next to his crayons. "Aaah! There’s a head in the fire!"

"Wait, what?" I said, jumping off my chair and kneeling by the hearth. Harry hid behind me and peered out from beneath my arm.

"Hey Severus!" said my cousin Maria from the fire. "Mind if I drop by with Katie for a visit, or are you busy?"

"No, I’m not busy at all, come on over." I replied, surprised.

"Great, I’ll be over in a minute!" Maria said quickly before disappearing from view.

"Who’s that?" Harry whispered fearfully. "Did the fireplace eat her?"

"That’s my cousin Maria; she used to visit all the time when we were younger. She has a daughter named Katie. She’s five." I said to the shaking boy before pulling him into a hug. "And no, she didn’t get eaten by the fire. It’s just a way to talk to people without travelling to their home."

"Oh," Harry said into my robe. He let go to watch Maria arrive with Katie in the fireplace.

"Uncle Sev!" cried Katie as she catapulted herself out of her mother’s arms and toward me, her black hair flying.

"Hi Katie," I smiled, kneeling down to give her a hug. Harry meanwhile hid behind my cloak, peeking his green eyes out occasionally to look at my guests.

"And who’s this, Severus?" asked Maria, blue eyes fixed on Harry. "Since when have you had a little one?"

"Oh, this is Harry," I said, "I’m looking after Hermione and him while their families are away. Hermione’s in bed, she’s not feeling too well."

"Dear me, I hope she feels better soon," Maria replied, sinking down on my sofa. "I hope you don’t mind the visit Severus, I was just up at Hogsmeade doing a little bit of Christmas shopping and Katie wanted to stop by to say hello."

"I don’t mind at all. I’ve been meaning to drop by your place for a visit too. I just haven’t had the time," I said honestly, taking a seat as well. Harry leaped up next to me and buried his face in my side.

"My, he’s a shy one isn’t he," Maria said softly, looking at Harry.

"Yes, that is for sure," I said before picking Harry up and setting him on his feet. He fidgeted nervously.

"Harry, why don’t you show Katie the pictures you colored today; she likes coloring too," I said to him while he glanced at Katie nervously. She smiled encouragingly.

"Okay," he whispered, hesitantly taking Katie's hand and leading her to his coloring book.

Once the two were out of earshot Maria looked at me knowingly.

"What really happened Severus?" she inquired.

"Huh?" I asked, pretending I didn’t know what she was talking about.

"Why are you all of a sudden looking after two kids? You wouldn’t just volunteer to baby-sit," Maria said, glaring at me in such a way that I fidgeted. She could glare ten times better than myself, and could probably send a student into cardiac arrest within seconds.

"Potions accident," I grumped. "You know me way too well for your own good."

"I thought so," she said smugly. "But I think it’s been good for you."

"What?"

"Having a few kids around has been good for you, especially since you’re so antisocial."

"I am not antisocial, people just don’t trust me," I defended myself.

"But children are trusting and they won’t judge you on your past mistakes, they will just see you. And that’s what is good." Maria said wisely.

"Maybe you are right," I sighed. "It is nice to have someone not focus on my faults for once."

We fell into silence for a moment.

"He’s Harry Potter isn’t he? The boy you told me about," she spoke eventually.

"You are correct, and was I wrong about him," I laughed bitterly, finding irony in the fact I had hated a boy so much like myself.

"He reminds me of you when we were young," she said quietly.

I didn’t reply.

"Is his family …" Maria asked hesitantly.

"Like mine was?" I said grimly, she nodded. "Yes. But he doesn’t have a caring mother to look out for him like I did. At least Mum tried her best to be there for me. Harry doesn’t have anyone really. Unless you count his godfather, and he’s on the run! ’

"He has you now," Maria said, ignoring my comment about Black.

"If he doesn’t go back to hating my guts when he’s re-aged, yes," I said sadly. "I was such an idiot …’

"He won’t hate you Severus," Maria said.

"I hope that will be the case. Because I know now that I never hated him. I only hated the memories he brought back," I admitted. Maria patted my arm. I smiled gratefully. She had always been there for me, and I for her, even if life got in the way often these days. 

***

"Why does Katie call you Uncle Sev if you aren’t really her uncle?" Harry asked sleepily as I tucked him in that night.

"I’m not quite sure, I think she just likes to," I replied. I had never really given it a thought.

"So you aren’t really her uncle?"

"Not really, but she sees me as one."

"Can I call you Uncle Sev too?" Harry asked hopefully. "I always wanted a nice uncle."

"Yes Harry, you can," I said, rather touched.

"Goodnight Uncle Sev!" he grinned before giving me a hug, a hug that I returned.

"Goodnight Harry," I smiled, ruffling his messy hair before leaving to check on his and Hermione’s potion. At that moment it hit me just how much I would miss those two.

The End.
End Notes:
Well there you go, another chapter. I really hoped you liked it, I would love to hear your opinions and/or suggestions! The next chapter's called 'Invasion of the Sickies'
Invasion of the Sickies! by Whitetail
Author's Notes:
Sorry this took so long. I was swamped with tests and homework, and it was only the second week of school!

"Mr. Snape Harry had an accident and he’s too scared to tell you," Hermione said sleepily, poking my face to wake me.

"He did?" I asked groggily, sitting up.

"Uh huh," she said wearily, taking my hand and leading me to their room.

I was probably quite a sight, considering my hair was everywhere and I was wearing the lime green pyjamas with cauldrons on them that Albus gave me for Christmas last year. I normally avoid wearing them at costs, but seeing as during holidays the house elves were quite busy washing all the bedding from the student dormitories, I didn’t have another pair or my dressing gown. And lucky for me both children would remember this when they were re-aged. Oh joy.

"Thanks for telling me Hermione, you can go back to sleep," I told the girl.

"You’re welcome. He’s under his bed by the way," she said before toddling back to her own bed and burying herself under the covers.

I walked over to Harry’s bed; sure enough there was a wet stain on the sheets. I bent over to look underneath the bed. There I found Harry, lying on his back, crying and hugging Rexy.

"Please come out Harry," I said quietly. "It’s ok, I’m not mad."

"You’re just trying to trick me so I’ll come out and you can lock me in the cupboard," Harry whispered fearfully. Ok Petunia, now you’re in for it.

"Harry, I am not going to lock you in a cupboard. I’m going to help you get cleaned up," I said calmly, begging him to believe me.

"Promise?"

"I promise."

"Cross your heart?"

"Cross my heart," I said, holding out my arms. I held my breath as he slowly inched out from beneath the bed, gripping Rexy with all his might.

"S-sorry!" he squeaked, tears dripping down his nose and onto Rexy.

"It’s ok Harry, accidents happen," I said, grabbing a new pair of pyjamas for him. "Let’s get those wet pyjamas off of you."

I helped him get changed and casted a quick cleaning spell, making bubbles fly all over him.

"It tickles!" he giggled. The bubbles dissipated quickly however, and in no time he was ready for bed again. I sat him on the chair next to his bed while I swapped the sheets for new ones.

I pulled Harry into my arms before tucking him in again.

"Harry, you don’t need to be scared to tell me if you have an accident. I will never be angry with you for an accident," I said, feeling his little hands grip the front of my pyjamas.

"’M sorry Uncle Sev," he whispered into my chest.

"Don’t be, it was an accident Harry. You don’t need to be sorry for something you can’t help."

"I love you Uncle Sev," He whispered as I cradled him in my arms.

"I love you too Harry." I whispered back, meaning every word.

I held him like that a long time, he needed to be. I had a feeling that Lily was the last person that held him the way I did that night: until he fell asleep.

***

When I woke up the next morning I felt positively awful. I was shivery and aching all over and my nose was completely stuffed up. When I went to wake Harry up I found that he was in the same predicament.

"Uncle Sev, I’m cold!" Harry whispered to me, whimpering slightly as I took his temperature.

"Shh Harry, I’ll get you another blanket in a minute," I said, watching the red in the thermometer skyrocket.

"How come Harry gets to call you Uncle Sev?" Hermione croaked feebly from her bed.

"Because he asked to Hermione. You can call me that too if you want," I answered scratchily.

"Okay Uncle Sev," she said, smiling a little.

All three of us took a dose of Pepperup and some fever reducer. And seeing as everyone wasn’t hungry for breakfast we all went back to sleep.

Before I crawled into my bed I dug about in my closet, searching for my hippogriff quilt. Once I had found it I spread the worn blanket over the bed, pausing to admire the faded design that had been so lovingly stitched. My mother had made it for me as a Christmas gift when I was five years old. She hadn’t been able to afford all new material for it, but I liked that because she had used some pieces of her old clothing. Most of those bits I recognized from the many days I spent following her around the house as a youngster. As I crawled into my bed I took a moment to wonder how long she spent making my quilt, it was a fair size after all.

Not long after I had fallen asleep I felt a slight jiggle of the mattress. A little foot pressed up against my side.

"What?" I asked groggily, opening my eyes briefly to see who it was. Hermione had edged her way under the covers and was looking at me with wide eyes.

"I had a bad dream, can I sleep with you?" she whispered, a tear sliding down her cheek as she hugged her blanky.

"Oh alright," I said reluctantly. "Just don’t move around much."

Barely three minutes later I felt someone tugging at the covers on the opposite side as Hermione.

"What do you need Harry?" I guessed without opening an eye.

"Hermione left and I got scared," Harry whimpered into Rexy. "Can I sleep with you too?"

"Yes," I sighed, lifting Harry up onto the bed as well.

"Thanks Uncle Sev," he grinned sleepily before snuggling into my side as well.

***

"Severus wake up …" A voice called through the fog that enveloped my brain. That voice sounded familiar to me, but I could not seem to recall who it belonged to. Confusion seeped through my mind as a cold hand came into contact with my forehead. I shivered and became aware of the fact that I was lying in my bed, my hippogriff quilt over top of me, where was I?

"You need to take a potion, wake up."

That voice again, where had I heard it? My fuzzy mind worked sluggishly toward a conclusion I struggled to escape dream world.

"Mum?" I croaked weakly in my confusion as I became aware of the ache that had settled into my body.

"No Severus, it’s Poppy," said the voice softly.

"Poppy ..." I said to myself, opening my eyes and realising my position for the first time since I had begun to wake up. I was still lying in my bed, Harry and Hermione sleeping on either side if me.

"You’re burning up Severus, you have to take another dose of fever reducer," said Poppy, picking up a bottle and pouring some of the potion into a cup for me.

"What are you doing here?" I questioned, dazed and confused as the light from overhead spun about my eyes dizzily.

"I’m a little ahead of schedule so I’m back from my seminar a few hours earlier than I expected," she explained to me as I downed the potion."Minerva told me you hadn’t shown up to lunch or breakfast so I came down to check on you and the children."

"Oh," I said blankly, sinking back into my pillows.

"Miss Granger is doing quite well," she continued, "whereas Mr. Potter and yourself are both suffering the effects of a high fever. However, this illness seems to be a quick one; Miss Granger is already showing signs of improving. She woke up shortly after lunchtime and had a bowl of soup before going back to sleep."

"That’s … good …" I mumbled groggily before drifting off again. I let myself sink into dreams, not knowing that I had wrapped my arms protectively around the two children beside me, not knowing that a certain matron was smiling as her heart grew warmer.

The End.
End Notes:
Hope you liked it. Happily I have finally recovered from my sickies! :p Next chapter is called 'With a Tug of the Heart'
With a Tug of the Heart by Whitetail

Two nights came and went before the three of us were feeling almost one hundred percent our usual selves. That day was the twenty third, and, being the day before Christmas Eve, I decided to make Harry and Hermione’s gifts. Because Minerva was busy, Albus was going to look after them while I worked on "potions". He didn’t even know what I was really doing; I had not informed him for fear of him accusing me of going soft or him flashing that irritatingly knowing smile he tends to wear. Old coot!

***

"Do you like my underpants aren’t they nice they have butterflies on them I quite like them oh sorry I should be getting dressed but I just thought I’d show them to you aren’t they wonderful?" spouted Hermione, looking quite ridiculous standing in the middle of my sitting room in nothing but her pants.

I did feel a bit sorry for the older Hermione at that point; she certainly would have a nice pile of memories to look back on and cringe about. However, I could not deny the fact that this would be hilarious when she was re-aged.

"Hello Severus!" called the headmaster as he opened the door.

"Couldn’t you knock?" I inquired irritably. Albus did not hear me however for Hermione had bounded over to him in a flurry of babbling.

"Aren’t they nice Mr. Dumblebore they have butterflies on them-’

"Hermione! Go get your trousers on; it’s not polite to show off your knickers." I scolded, placing my hand over my face and feeling rather mortified that she would do such a thing.

"But they’re so pretty Uncle Sev!" she replied in a hurt tone.

"No buts young lady, go get your trousers on," I said firmly, pointing to her and Harry’s bedroom.

"Oh alright but they are very nice-" Hermione said, crossing her arms as she made her way into her room, shooting dirty looks at me every few steps.

Albus looked at me with a bemused expression.

"Uncle Sev?" He said, eyes twinkling furiously.

"Shut up. Harry wanted a nice uncle," I said venomously as I practically felt the fire erupt behind my eyes. "Speaking of which, we need to talk.

"About what my dear boy?" Dumbledore said, smiling at me benignly.

"Harry’s home situation," I growled.

"Now?" He asked, surprised. "I was under the impression you wanted me to look after the children for the afternoon while you worked on their potion."

"We will talk later. Eight-o-clock, my office," I told him. "You will be there."

"Very well Severus. Ah, are you two ready?" said Albus as the children came into the

"Yes yes what are we gonna do Mr. Dumblebore bye Uncle Sev have a good afternoon-" Hermione shrieked excitedly, dancing over to give me a hug; I was extremely grateful that she was wearing trousers this time.

Harry looked at Albus warily, inching closer to me as he did so. I knelt down and scooped him up into a hug, trying to help him relax. He stayed tense however, and would not stop staring at his feet once I let go of him.

"Harry, look at me," I whispered, kneeling before him, my hands on his shoulders. (Albus had tactfully distracted himself and Hermione with a bit of magic) "Look at me."

Little green eyes peeked up at me sadly.

"I gotta go back don’t I?" he whispered.

"Back where?" I asked, knowing full well what he meant.

"Back to my mean uncle and aunt," shuddered Harry. I felt my insides well up with sadness.

"You are never going back there Harry. I will make sure of that," I told him. He looked at me with a confused and hopeful expression on his face. "Mr. Dumbledore is only looking after you this afternoon while I work on potions."

"Really?"

"Yes."

"I’m not going back?"

"Never."

"Do I get to stay with you?" he asked eagerly.

"We’ll see Harry. There are a few people I have to talk to first," I sighed truthfully, proceeding to whisper the next part in his ear. "But I would like it if you stayed."

"I’d like it too," Harry told me through a smile. He threw himself into my arms once again, burying his messy head in my robe. I held him like that for a moment.

"Ready to go Harry?" Albus smiled, holding hand out for Harry to take.

I held very still as the little boy let go of me and slowly crept toward Dumbledore. Harry smiled as he took the older man’s hand, making his way out of the room and into the corridor. And as I watched the three leave, Harry turned his head to give me one last wave, smiling sweetly all the while; tugging on my heart as he went.

***

Once Albus was gone I set to work on making Harry’s gift, digging around papers and books to find that little box I had kept so long. Inside the box were photos of Lily and I as children. And there it was, right on the top shelf of my closet, waiting for me amongst the papers. Waiting, just as I had waited for her, only to find I could not last the race … All because of a stupid mistake and the word mudblood.

I shook my thoughts aside and lifted down the worn cardboard box that had been decorated with stickers and drawings from the rainy days spent making it in Lily’s attic. I smiled sadly as I brushed the dust off the top and brought it over to the kitchen table, memories engulfing me like flames to a piece of wood.

‘Sev!" a young redheaded girl laughed, lying on her stomach and pointing at her friend. "You’ve got a sticker in you hair!"

"Have not!" A thin boy said defiantly overtop of a shoebox that was covered with tape and colored paper.

"Have too, it’s right there Sev!" the girl laughed, pointing again at a dinosaur sticker stuck in the boy’s long black hair.

Sev frowned and yanked the sticker off of his hair, wincing slightly as it pulled. He smirked before sticking it on the end of the girl’s freckled nose.

‘Look Lily, you have a sticker on the end of your nose," he told her soberly.

"You rascal," she giggled, pulling the sticker off and placing it on the top of the box. "There, finished!"

The two children paused for a moment to admire their handy-work. What was once a plain box had been turned, in their eyes, into a masterpiece. Colorful paper had been pasted onto all of the sides and drawn on with crayons. Lily had even dug out a few precious stickers to decorate the top with. And in her shaky cursive the words “Lily and Sev’s Adventures” had been written across it.

"It’s great," the dark haired boy exclaimed proudly.

"No, it’s fantastic!" Lily spouted. "Now we finally have a place to put all our drawings and the pictures Daddy took with his camera"

"And all our memories from Hogwarts!" he added.

"Once we go of course," Lily pointed out.

"Well, yeah. But we should put pictures from every year at school then we can look at them when we are grown ups like what my mum’s always doing with her pictures," said Sev excitedly.

"Good idea," said the girl, equally excited. They sat in silence for a moment as the rain pelted the little window close by, listening to the steady drip drip of the leak in the roof.

"We’ll be friends forever right?" Sev suddenly asked, shivering slightly as the damp air howled through the crack in the attic window.

"Always," Lily told the boy, smiling sweetly; tugging at his heart.

***

A dark haired teenager walked quietly down the alley, treading lightly upon the cobbled walkway. He was looking for something. He had seen it earlier. The boy seemed around fifteen or sixteen, but terribly thin and pale. Black, greasy hair hung about his gaunt face, a face that looked as if it had been to Hell and back again.

"Where are you, I know you’re here…" he whispered as he quickly scanned the rubbish bins behind the houses. He paused, craning his neck. The teenager seemed to have found what he was looking for, for he had spied something rather colourful atop the rubbish in a nearby bin.

"Lily… why?" he whispered sadly, picking up the damp box and fingering the lettering across the top.

The boy opened the box, flicking through the aging photographs. A tear slid down the end of his long nose, mingling with the cold raindrops upon his cheeks. He did not notice the girl standing in the back doorway of a house.

"Get out of here," she said simply, rage bubbling in her emerald eyes.

"Lily, please, I didn’t mean it…" he pleaded weakly, clutching the box to his chest.

"No Snape. Don’t even try. Take the damn box and get out," Lily hissed. For a moment, her lip quivered, and then she slammed the door in his face. A growl of thunder shook the air as lightning streaked across the blackened sky, reflecting in the teenager’s eyes.

That was the day the world forgot about a boy named Sev, and simply turned its back on a Snape.

I suddenly became aware of where I was again, and of the tears on my face. I wiped them away impatiently as I stared at the contents of the box, agony coursing through every vain. Like a cruciatus curse it left me aching inside, my very bones screaming for what I lost. There was a reason that box did not come down often: it almost always brought me terrible pain. But I had kept it all these years, a reminder of the price I paid for my idiocies I suppose.

I sighed softly before continuing the task. I pulled out the blank photo album I had ordered through the mail and began to sort through pictures that Harry might like. I felt ready now to show him who I used to be, who his mother was and our past. For some reason I felt he needed to know now, and that was why I was making the photo album. I was in possession of a part of Lily’s childhood, all stuffed into a box that had lain dormant in her attic for so long. And with Harry I would share it.

The End.
End Notes:
There you go, another chapter. Thank you so much for all your reviews! I do love your comments. The next chapter might take a bit longer, but it will come!
A Change of Fate by Whitetail
Author's Notes:
Sorry this one took a little longer. Just so you know, the attack on Arthur Weasley took place a few weeks before Christmas break.

"They’re both in their pyjamas and have their teeth brushed, you can read them a story, and if they fall asleep you can put them to bed. If they don’t they can wait for me to return and I’ll tuck them in," I told Minerva at quarter to eight that night. She nodded to show she understood. "Knock on the door to my office if you need me."

"We’ll be fine Severus, you’re sounding like a nervous parent," Minerva said soothingly.

I glared at her for calling me that. Though she was rather right, I sure felt like a nervous parent. I said goodbye to the children and entered my office, shutting the door behind me.

Albus was would be arriving for our meeting shortly, if he was true to his word. I planned to blast him away with the evidence I’d gathered against Harry’s realitives. I had even sent a letter to Ronald Weasley to ask what he knew about Harry’s home situation. I was glad he had agreed to share, instead of keeping it quiet. Personally, I thought Weasley wanted to give Harry the chance to get out of there. Thankfully I had received his letter shortly before the children got back, if they had been around they might have been worried by my furious reaction. Because I had a few minutes, I sat down in my office to re-read the letter again, anger bubbling up once more.

Professor Snape,

Harry doesn’t talk about his family much, but from what he’s told me they aren’t very nice. And no, I don’t think they physically abuse him or anything, but I know for sure they don’t feed him enough. Especially in the summer before fourth year when Harry practically had to live off birthday cake and snacks we mailed him because his Aunt was making the entire family follow this insane diet his fat cousin was on.

And then there was second year when me and my family went to get Harry from his relatives because he wasn’t writing back and we found him locked up in his bedroom. They had bars on his windows! Harry said it was because a house elf (Dobby, he’s working in the Hogwarts kitchens now) visited him and did magic and he got blamed for it. He was absolutely starving when we got him to the Burrow because he had been living off nothing but tinned soup!

     About the cupboard, he had to sleep in the cupboard under the stairs until he was eleven because his cousin Dudley "needed" two bedrooms for all the toys and things his parents spoiled him with. Which reminds me, in first year Harry was absolutely shocked that he got presents on Christmas! Christmas, Professor! And it wasn’t because his Aunt and Uncle don’t celebrate it. That’s pretty much all I know, but I’m sure there’s more.

I really hope you can get him out of there, my parents can’t convince Dumbledore to let him come straight to the Burrow and he really hates it at the Dursleys. Please don’t tell Harry that I got involved or anything. He doesn’t like to bring it up, and I doubt he’d like me to. But he has to get out of there, it’s horrible.

-Ron Weasley

P.S. If you make fun of Harry and his situation in any way I’ll go straight to Dumbledore. My mum also said she’d do more than just hex you, and you do not want to see her angry, trust me!

Despite the situation I found myself amused by Weasley’s warning; I rolled my eyes just as a knock sounded on the door.

"Enter," I said.

"Hello Severus," Albus said, taking a seat opposite me. He looked far too calm for my liking.

"Evening Headmaster," I said icily. "I trust you know why we are here?"

"Yes Severus, you have found something unsettling about Harry’s home life, have you not?"

"Indeed I have."

"You may proceed, I am listening," he said softly, eyes twinkling

I began, telling him of the signs I had seen through the way Harry had acted over the past week. Even the little things, such as never having a lolly, or how shy and skittish he was. And then came the larger pieces: Harry’s fear of being punished for such trivial things as getting a mirror dirty, his concerns of being thrown in a cupboard and the things he had confessed to me about his family. By the time I was ready to show Albus the letter the twinkle in his eyes had long receded.

"I owled Ronald Weasley to find out what he knew of the situation, and this was his response," I told the headmaster, handing him the piece of parchment. "Weasley wouldn’t just make these things up; especially a story that fits so well with that of young Harry’s."

The letter fell from the Headmaster’s hands and fluttered to the desktop. He looked up at me, tears in his eyes.

"I knew he was unhappy, but not like this Severus, not like this," said Albus.

"I want him out of there Albus. Not even James Potter deserves that. Abuse of this kind leaves scars far deeper than belts and fists," I said quietly, speaking from experience.

"Who will take him? Sirius is in no position and Remus would not be a very good option, sick as he is," Albus said, slightly bewildered for once.

"Isn’t it obvious?" I spat.

"You … you would be willing to take him?" He inquired, rather taken aback.

"Yes, but only with Harry’s permission, once he’s re-aged of course, " I said, feeling shocked that I was able to admit I wanted the boy around.

"Severus, Voldemort, if he finds out …" said the Headmaster, looking into my eyes, searching.

"He won’t. You know I can keep it secret."

"But Harry, will he not see through him?"

"He already knows how to conceal his memories. He just cannot control it," I told him softly. "I can recall only one or two memories of his family, the rest were at Hogwarts. How can that be when ten years were spent there, and only four and a half here?" I said.

"I have been informed that the occlumency lessons have not been going well," Albus warned.

"We had only had three lessons headmaster, before Harry was de-aged. Not to mention I had not realised that Harry had already applied defences. I assure you, knowing that will make it much easier to teach him," I said. "Oh, and is Arthur recovering alright?"

"Yes, he’s been out of the hospital for at least two weeks, and is doing fine," said Albus. "However, we must press on."

"Indeed Headmaster."

"If Harry accepts the adoption, we must not go through the ministry, not with Delores Umbridge and Rita Skeeter around. Luckily the laws permit us to do this quietly. All we will need to do is get Petunia or Vernon to sign custody over to you, or another person if Harry so chooses. I think there is a good chance he will want to stay with you however."

"Won’t we have to file the papers at the ministry?" I inquired, rather confused.

"Ah, I knew you would ask that. Nowhere in our set of laws does it state that we must go through the Ministry," Albus said slyly. "We will go through a muggle adoption agency."

Well that makes sense.

"Who will be sent to get the forms signed by Harry’s aunt and uncle?" I asked the Headmaster.

"I suppose I shall go," Albus said. I paused a moment before replying.

"I could go, I wouldn’t mind seeing what Petunia is up to these days," -and disrupting whatever that is. I added in my head.

"That would be fine Severus, but please, don’t do anything foolish," he warned me. I nodded curtly in response. "When will you go?"

"Oh, in time. Once Harry and Hermione are re-aged." I said, concealing the uncharacteristic giggles of glee I felt the urge to express. Petunia and her lumpy husband were in for it now!

We talked a short while longer before Albus departed, leaving me to see if the children were still awake. I figured that they would be asleep however, seeing as it was now about eight thirty. I was given more evidence to suggest my theory when I opened the door and Minerva tiptoed over to me. I raised an eyebrow at her charade.

"Hermione fell asleep right away," she whispered to me. "But Harry insisted upon waiting up for you, he’s coloring pictures on the rug."

"Thank you for watching them Minerva," I told her quietly, glancing over at the little boy, who was nodding off on his coloring book. I repressed the urge to smile.

"Anytime Severus," Minerva said warmly, creeping out the door as quietly as possible.

I knelt down next to Harry, brushing his hair out of his eyes. He stirred a bit as I took him into my arms, little hands fingering my robes a minute before waking. Harry smiled up at me with droopy green eyes, a look that stole my heart clean away. I smiled back at him, walking slowly to the children’s room where Hermione was fast asleep, bum in the air and arm around her blanky. I flipped Harry’s covers back and laid him down, holding Rexy out to him so he could grasp the worn red material. The little boy yawned, eyes glazed with sleepiness.

"Goodnight Harry." I whispered, he did not respond. All I got was a drowsy smile. But as I got up to leave the room I heard a little voice call after me sleepily:

"G’night Daddy."

I turned around in surprise, only to find Harry fast asleep. Walking back toward the little boy's bed, I studied him a moment. Fuzzy warmth grew inside me as I looked down at the sleeping child. Was this what it was like to feel needed?

The End.
End Notes:
I hope you liked it, I worked extra hard on this one. For some reason I really had to bust my brain ... Oh, and The next chapter is called 'A Day With Draco'. Get ready Draco fans!
A Day With Draco by Whitetail
Author's Notes:
This chapter is dedicated to my dog, who passed away this evening. She's in a better place now.

I woke up rather early the next morning so I could actually have a little bit of time to myself. Mainly to shave, I was looking quite scruffy. I made my way to the bathroom, wearing my dressing gown and hoping that the children would not wake up for at least a half hour. As I pulled out my razor I began to look forward to having a cup of coffee and reading the paper. My bubble was burst however, when Harry bounded into the bathroom, hair everywhere and eyes bright. I found I didn’t mind, much.

"Morning Uncle Sev!" he cried, throwing his arms around my legs and looking up at me. "Whatcha doing?"

"Shaving," I told him dryly.

"Really? Can I shave too?" he asked, excited.

"You’re a bit young Harry," I said. His face fell.

"Oh."

"Hang on," I said, glancing at the small bucket of bath toys in the corner, recallng something I had seen the other day. I picked up a little box, a toy shaving kit Minerva must have bought. "It looks like you can."

"Yay!" Harry said, grinning as I pulled the toy razor out of the box along with some foam soap.

I ran a little water into the sink and helped Harry spread the play shaving foam on his face. When Harry was all set up I began myself, spreading some foam on my face as well.

"Hi Harry hi Uncle Sev what are you doing isn’t it a nice morning is that a razor you’re holding Uncle Sev I hope it isn’t real are you sure your parents know you have something sharp what if you cut yourself then what-’

"Good morning Hermione," I sighed, leaning back from the mirror. "Harry and I are shaving, why don’t you start getting dressed."

"Forget that I want to shave can I shave too please Uncle Sev-"

"Hermione, girls don’t grow moustaches," I pointed out.

"My Aunt Marge does," Harry piped up. I fought back laughter.

"Shaving looks fun!" Hermione said.

Oh what the hell. Why not.

"I suppose you can shave then, if Harry’s Aunt has to…" I said, struggling to remain sober.

After setting Hermione up and making a copy of Harry’s toy razor for her with a spot of magic, we could finally begin. I must admit, it was quite cute to watch Harry mimic my every move. And then there was Hermione’s technique: all over the place but clearly having a grand time.

"Morning Severus," Minerva said, poking her head around the door frame. "Hermione left her storybook at Albus’s yesterday so I thought I’d drop it by. I hope it’s not too early."

"Minerva!" I said, slightly scandalized. "I’m shaving!

"Yeah, we’re shaving!" Harry cried back. For once Hermione said nothing, seeing as she was too busy "shaving" the tip of her nose.

Minerva laughed and muttered something along the lines of  “I knew that kit was a good choice.”

"Hang on, how’d you get in?" I inquired as she turned to leave.

"Oh, the portrait in your office," she told me casually.

I would have to have a chat with old Salazar … Stupid painting.

***

The morning passed fairly uneventfully, other than Hermione bragging to the Hufflepuffs during lunch that I taught her to shave “He’s real good at it he’s smart maybe he can teach you-”.

Of course, I knew the peace couldn’t last, for when Harry and Hermione were having their afternoon nap somebody tumbled clumsily out of my fire.

"Severus?" the boy asked uncertainly, picking himself off my hearth.

"Draco, what are you doing here?" I inquired, looking at the blonde haired boy, who was currently brushing the soot out of his hair.

"Er, can I stay with you for the day? Mother and Father are well, fighting. Again," he whispered, fiddling with the button on his cloak.

Normally I would say yes right away, but under the circumstances I wasn’t sure I could trust him not to tell what happened.

This was not an uncommon occurrence, for Narcissa and Lucius to fight and Draco to spend the day with me. Such conflicts happened frequently in pure-blood families, seeing as most marriages, like Lucius and Narcissa’s were arranged. Poor Draco/ Tthat was no way to spend Christmas eve.

"Yes," I said, throwing caution to the winds. "You aren’t the only company I have though."

"Who else is here?" Draco asked anxiously, looking about the room. "Your cousin?"

"No ... can you keep a secret?" I said, knowing he could if he agreed. Draco, whatever others said, was quite good at keeping quiet if he wanted to be. I was the only one who knew that Narcissa and Lucius fought frequently.

"Yeah, I guess so," he said cautiously, clearly wondering what I was going to reveal.

"Follow me. But you must promise to tell anyone, not even a friend," I told him with the tone of voice I only used when something was extremely important.

"I promise," Draco replied, eyes widening with the seriousness of my voice.

I led him over to Harry and Hermione’s room, quietly opened the door and stepped aside for him to see.

"You have kids?!" he hissed at me, shocked.

"Don’t be ridiculous; they aren’t mine! Can’t you recognize them?" I growled slightly.

"Well the black haired one does looks sort of like you but I don’t think I’ve seen the one with the bushy hair bef- Wait, Granger? How?"

"All thanks to your idiotic potion mishap. Now you know why you have detention every Friday night after the holidays," I said, shutting the door and leading him back into the living room.

"Oh … oops."

"You’ve got that right."

"Hang on, if that one is Granger, than the black haired one is … Potter!" Draco said, "I am not spending my Christmas Eve with Potter."

Draco made for the fireplace, but I grabbed his sleeve.

"He’s different, you have no idea …" I told him, begging him to understand me. "Stay, get to know him."

"No," Draco whispered, pulling at his sleeve.

"For me. Please."

The boy looked at me, shocked. I never pleaded. He was silent for a moment, but I could see he understood how important this was to me.

"Okay. For you then," he relented, shaking his arm loose from my grasp.

"Thank you Draco," I told him. "You’ll see soon."

***

"Come on Harry, Draco isn’t going to hurt you," I told Harry, who had been cowering under my cloak and eyeing the Slytherin boy fearfully since he woke up from his nap. Though Hermione did not have a problem with Draco in the least, Harry was not so trusting.

"Why don’t you come and color with me?" said Draco, doing his best to get along with Harry. "I don’t think I can color this big picture all on my own."

"Yes Harry you should help him I like to read better and I’m busy you should help Draco he needs you-" Hermione babbled over a picture book.

Harry burrowed further into my cloak. I sighed. Well, it seemed it was time for a new strategy; dignity be damned. I made my way to Draco and sat down next to him, causing Harry to detach himself from my robe with a squeak and hide behind the sofa.

Draco looked at me, confused as I picked up a crayon and began to color. I gestured for him to do so as well.

"My, what fun this is," I said enthusiastically, watching the little boy out of the corner of my eye. Harry perked up a bit, and poked his head out from behind the sofa to see what we were doing.

"Yes, this is really fun," Draco agreed, going along with my strategy, but still a little shocked by my methods judging by the glances he was giving me. 

Harry inched out further, watching me select a new crayon. He twitched slightly, almost as if he wanted to join in.

"Look, there’s a picture of a dragon on the next page, isn’t that a bit like a dinosaur?" I asked Draco loudly, glancing over at Harry momentarily.

Harry fidgeted, clearly thinking hard. After a moment he slid cautiously over to where we were, eyeing the picture of the dragon with barely contained excitement.

"C-can I c-color too?" he whispered, looking at Draco with apprehension written upon his little face.

"Yes, that would be really great," Draco told him, smiling and handing Harry a red crayon. This earned Draco a shy smile.

***

"I’m gonna get you!" I heard Draco shout. The sound of feet across the floor could be heard. Alarmed, I poked my head out of my lab, hearing terrified screams.

"What on earth is going on here?" I said, ready to hand out lectures. I’d been in my lab barely three minutes and things had already gone to utter Hell. In the chaos of the situation they didn’t appear to hear me.

"No, don’t eat me!" Harry giggled. "Uncle Sev, don’t let the dragon get me!"

Wait, what?!

"ROAAARRR!" spouted Draco, stomping across the room to Hermione, who squealed and ran into a corner.

"Aah! Mynee look out!" Harry pointed.

"I’ve got you now ,Hermione!" said Draco.

There I stood, dumbstruck in the doorway of my lab. Nobody would believe what I was seeing: Draco Malfoy playing a childish game for the amusement of Potter and Granger. Hell has surely frozen over.

"Help Harry or Uncle Sev he’s gonna eat me I don’t wanna be eated!" Hermione shouted from the corner as Draco closed in, sitting down and scrunching herself up real small.

"ROOAARR!" crowed Draco, having trapped Hermone.

"Eek!" squealed Hermione

"Do you know what a dragon does before it eats its victims?" Draco questioned, a sparkle in his eye.

"What oh what I hope it’s not bad!"

"He tickles them!"

"Ahh!" Hermione squealed with delight as Draco tickled her feet.

"I’ll save you Mynee!" Harry cried, running over to the pair and standing between them, arms spread and face set in a determined expression.

Ever the hero.

"Well, I guess I’ll have to tickle you too!" the Slytherin told Harry, who burst into giggles as belly was tickled.

"Ehhmm," I cleared my throat. Draco looked up at me suddenly, realising that I was in fact present.

"Er, hi Severus," he said sheepishly, looking rather embarrassed that he had gotten caught doing something as childish as playing. He stopped tickling the children, and sat cross legged, waiting for me to say something.

"It’s good to see you three getting along," I commented. Smiling slightly as Harry plopped down in Draco’s lap, much to his surprise.

"Draco is lots of fun its hard not to like him can he stay forever I love Draco-’

"Hermione, Draco is just visiting, but if he wants he can come tobogganing with us today," I said, waiting for the children to catch onto what I had said.

"Tobganing?" Harry said from Draco’s lap, eyes wide. "We’re going Tobabganing? What’s that?"

"You’ve never been tobogganing It’s lots of fun you sit on a toboggan and slide down snowy hills I like it lots sometimes if it snows enough mummy takes me tobogganing-’

"Yes Harry." I said. "There is a lot of snow out and I thought you and Hermione would like to play in it, seeing as it is Christmas eve." I said.

Draco perked up, looking hopeful.

"I can come?" he asked me.

"Yes, you can. If you need I can lend you a scarf and mittens."

"Hooray!" Harry whooped.

"Yay yay yay Draco’s coming tobogganing I love Draco he’s great-’

"Thanks Severus," Draco said, glowing with excitement.

***

"Why do you get the newer one?" Draco complained to me as we trudged over to one of the smaller slopes of the Hogwarts grounds.

"Because I asked Hagrid first; it’s not my fault his only other toboggan is a little worn," I told Draco slightly exasperatedly.

He had been moaning about how rickety his toboggan was since I had sent him to Hagrids to borrow another, seeing as we hadn’t enough room on one. They were rather small after all, and I had borrowed it the other day, not knowing Draco might drop by.

"Well if it breaks, I bloody well hope my neck doesn’t go with it," Draco moaned.

"Language Draco!" I scolded.

"You’re not supposed to say that that’s a bad word what are you thinking your daddy will be mad he will-’

"My Uncle says bad words all the time, ‘specially when he’s talkin' about me," Harry told me plainly, one had in mine and the other swinging about.

"Yeah, same with my father," Draco said to Harry in a slightly surprised tone.

"My family is a bunch of meanies," Harry said, looking over to Draco this time. "Is yours too?"

"I guess," Draco said gloomily.

A brief silence fell upon us, in which we could hear nothing but the crunching of snow beneath our feet. It was Harry who broke the silence, with words that still shock me when I recall them.

"Hey, why don’t we be a pretend family! Mynee, Uncle Sev and you and me!" Harry said sweetly, slipping his other hand into Draco’s.

"You know, I think I might just like that," said Draco slowly, looking down at Harry as if he was seeing a whole new person before him.

***

"Just because I came along does not mean I will strap myself to that ridiculous thing and slide down a treacherous slope." I stated from the top of the hill Draco had suggested, which looked much steeper than it had at the foot.

"Come on Severus, don’t be so boring. A little bit of fun won’t hurt you," Draco panted, dragging both the toboggans up the hill for Harry and Hermione. He had been attempting to get me to have a go for at least twenty minutes. "Try it."

"No," I said.

"Come on."

"No," I said loudly.

"Coward," Draco said.

"I am not a coward," I growled, making Harry look at me warily.

"Then prove it," Draco told me.

"Fine then," I said, taking one of the ropes he was holding. I pulled the toboggan toward the edge of the slope and glared at him.

"Well, go on," nudged Draco, looking quite amused as he flashed a triumphant grin toward me. He knew I wouldn’t back out now.

What worried me the most was that mischevious sparkle in his eyes I had seen before. He was up to something.

I gritted my teeth and sat down on the contraption, looking down over the edge of the hill and clenching the rope tightly. My stomach clenched painfully. And no, I was not afraid. Not of a stupid little hill!

"You can do it Uncle Sev!" Harry encouraged as I began to hesitate.

"Yeah it’s so much fun you’ll love it-’

"Need a push?" Draco mocked lightly.

"Certainly not," I hissed, striking my hands against the ground and setting myself into motion, sliding down the hill and rapidly gaining momentum. It was then I realized that I had picked the old toboggan, and just why Draco had had that sparkle in his eye.

Okay, now I was afraid.

There was a huge ledge directly in my path, with a very sharp drop. I gave a rather loud shout as I was catapulted high up into the air with the toboggan. For a moment I hung there, observing the snow rushing below me as I seemingly floated on air. And then I began to fall, speeding toward the ground at a frightening pace. There was a loud crunch as the toboggan hit the ground, the runner had broken off completely, causing the the toboggan to swerve sideways and send me into a barrel roll down the hill. It was quite some time before I came to rest in a pile of rubble, face in a snow bank.

"Eoow!" I yelped as I attempted to extricate myself from the pieces of splintered wood. Meanwhile Draco howled with laughter at the top of the hill, falling about the snow like and idiot.

"You have no idea how many splinters I have," I told Draco, wincing as I reached to top of the hill and picking bits of wood out of my robes.

"Oww … hurts… so … funny!" gasped the blonde as he attempted to stand.

"Sure, laugh away while I’m in pain," I grumped, massaging my wrist, which was throbbing something fierce.

"Are you ok Uncle Sev?" Harry whispered, tugging at me cloak.

"Mostly," I said trying to keep the pain out of my voice as I pulled off my mitten to examine my right wrist, which was beginning to bruise nicely.

"Eww you should get that looked at it’s all funny colors Uncle Sev," Hermione informed me.

"Actually, I think that’s a good idea Hermione," I said, hissing with pain as I felt the bones.

***

"You convinced him to go off Suicide Ridge?" Poppy rounded on Draco as she fussed over my swollen and painful wrist. "What on earth were you thinking!"

"Suicide Ridge?" I asked, ignoring the steady throb that had now snaked up my arm.

"Yeah, that’s what the students call the spot you went down," Draco shrugged before turning to Madam Pomfrey to defend himself. "And he could have gone down the safe side I took Harry and Hermione on. He chose to go down there!"

"You know as well as I that you cannot see that ledge until you’re right on top of it. The number of students that have broken bones there …" Poppy scolded. Draco rubbed the back of his neck, looking guilty. I sensed I would get an apology later.

"Is Uncle Sev gonna be ok?" Harry whispered to Madam Pomfrey.

"He’ll be fine dear," Poppy told him, shooing him into a chair next to Hermione.

I winced slightly as Poppy waved her wand, setting my bone with a crack. The pain was gone in moments however, as a warm light emanated from my arm.

"All done," chimed Poppy. "How does it feel?"

"Perfectly fine," I said, swivelling my wrist about.

"Yay that’s good can we go have dinner now I’m hungry I wonder what we’re eating I hope it’s broccoli soup that’s my favourite-" Hermione bubbled, leaping of her chair and tugging at my sleeve.

I got up, gesturing for the boys to follow. Harry leapt up obediently, grabbing onto Draco’s hand.

***

After dinner in my quarters, Draco pulled a snitch he used for practice from his pocket and let it loose so Harry could go after it. I watched with amusement from over top a book.

"Reach Harry!" said the Slytherin as Harry scrambled to get it. Within moments it was in his grasp.

"I got it I got it!" he squealed, jumping up and down.

"Great job Harry. I bet you’ll be really good when you get older. They’ll probably let you on the Quidditch team," Draco laughed.

"You really think so?"

"You bet," Draco told him, shooting a grin in my direction, eyes laughing. I shook my head at his antics, finding it hard not to chuckle along with him.

It was so strange how different the Draco I knew was from the Draco the students knew. My Draco loved a good laugh, but not in the mean sense the students saw. What they did not know was that Draco put on a show to cover up the scars and fears he didn’t mind me seeing.

    His parents cared for him, but were often very harsh and at odds with each other. A lot of the time Draco went unnoticed by them, forgotten even. The main problem I thought was that Narcissa and Lucius had a rather cold parenting style. They acted in a way that often seemed as if they didn’t care. But they did, just not in the way Draco needed. What Draco really needed was a father who listened to what he had to say. For if Lucius listened, he would understand that his son was not the happy boy he assumed him to be.

    The world saw a high status boy who was part of a wealthy family and had everything he could want; but I saw just another boy, who was a little lost and afraid. Out of curiosity I had considered bringing him to the Mirror of Erised, just to find out what he saw. I don’t think it would have been fame, which others thought he desired more than anything. I think it would have been love.

The End.
End Notes:
I hope I did an ok job with Draco. Let me know what you thought!
Fires of Change by Whitetail
Author's Notes:
Thanks to all of the reviews last chapter! They really cheered me up. Warning: there is a character death in this chapter, but it's not graphic or anything.

"But I don’t wanna say goodbye to Draco I want him to stay it’s not fair-" Hermione wailed as Draco prepared to leave through the floo.

"I’ll be back some time, don’t worry!" Draco told the distraught girl, looking guilty for making her cry.

"Do you gotta go Draco?" whispered Harry, rubbing his eyes.

"Yeah, I have to," sighed Draco, kneeling down next to the little boy. "I wish I could stay."

"I wish you could too why not can’t you stay don’t go-" cried Hermione as she ran into his arms.

Draco looked surprised, but I could see a ghost of a smile forming as she clung to him.

"Promise you’ll come back to teach me Kidditch?" Harry asked uncertainly.

"I promise," Draco said over Hermione’s bushy hair.

"Cross your heart?"

"Cross my heart," Draco said, making the motion with his free hand.

Harry rocketed himself at the Slytherin, burrowing himself into Draco’s embrace as well. Draco grinned, hugging the two children tightly. He hadn’t looked this happy in a very long time; not a trace of sorrow could be seen within his eyes.

"Bye you guys. I’ll miss you," he told them as they broke apart.

"Bye bye bye I can’t wait for you to come back-’

"Goodbye Draco," Harry whispered, backing up to where I stood and slipping his hand into mine.

"Thanks for letting me stay the day," Draco said gratefully as he grabbed a handful of floo powder. He needn’t have thanked me with words. His face said it all.

"You are most welcome." I told him.

With a wave and flash of blonde hair he was gone, back to the dysfunction he faced each holiday. Every time he visited me I felt so bad sending him back there. That day was more difficult than ever, especially when looking back on it. If I had known …

***

Dealing with two very teary children I had to do something to cheer them up. So next to the fire I sat, acting out a puppet show with a pair of mismatched socks.

Well, there goes the last of my dignity.

"-but Professor Snape I don’t want to make potions!" I made Hermione’s pink sock say in a squeaky voice. "I want to learn how to knit! Will you teach me?"

"Scary teachers don’t knit!" barked the black sock.

A wave of giggles erupted from Harry and Hermione.

"Today we’re going to disembowel frogs," the black sock drawled to the pink one.

"Eww!" Harry moaned.

"That’s horrible! Why can’t we play with unicorns instead?" the pink sock whined.

"Because scary teachers don’t play with unicorns!" screeched the black sock.

Harry and Hermione burst into peals of laughter. It was weird that someone actually found me funny; it was actually quite nice.

"I think you’re mean!" said the pink sock. "Why can’t you be nice?"

"Because scary teachers aren’t nice!" Harry shouted.

"Hey, I was going to say that," the black sock told Harry, sounding hurt.

"You’re funny Uncle Sev," giggled Hermione.

"You’re good at puppet sho-‘ Harry began before being cut off by a huge yawn. His eyes drooped significantly.

"I think it’s bedtime," I laughed setting the socks aside and picking up Harry, carrying him to the bathroom to brush his teeth as Hermione skipped along beside me.

"Time to brush our teeth brusha brusha brushy-" she sang joyfully.

***

That night I couldn’t sleep. I lay, tossing and turning in my bed. I had a very bad feeling about Draco that I couldn’t shake. For some reason I couldn’t get the sight of him vanishing into the fire out of my head. Eventually I put on my dressing gown and made a cup of tea. Sitting at the table I tapped my fingers upon the wood anxiously.

"Hi," came a whisper from beside me. I jumped significantly.

"Hello Harry," I said.

"Whatcha doing?"

"Drinking tea, I can’t sleep," I told him softly, resting my hand upon his messy hair briefly.

"It’s okay, I can’t sleep too," Harry told me.

"Really, is that so?" I said, picking him up and settling him on my lap.

"Yeah," he sighed resting his head against my chest.

"Is it because you are excited for Christmas tomorrow?" I asked him.

"No. I just got a funny feeling in my tummy. But I’m not sick," Harry told me, fiddling with the button on his green pyjamas.

"Me too," I told him.

"’specally ‘cause I had this weird dream and this scary man was looking for something he really needed. But you know what was really weird? I don’t remember falling asleep!" Harry said to me wide eyed. "Am I crazy?"

"No Harry. I’d suggest you forget about that for now. But if you have any more weird dreams let me know," I said.

I was slightly surprised by his 'dream' because he had shown no signs of his connection with Voldemort so far. It was rather odd if you asked me.

"’Kay."

We sat in silence for a while, listening to the sound of the fire crackle.

"Uncle Sev, can I tell you something?" Harry whispered eventually, looking up at me anxiously.

"Anything,'

"Well, sometimes I pretend you’re my daddy and that Hermione’s my sister and we get to live happily ever after just like the people in Dudley’s storybooks," said the little boy uncertainly.

"Really?" I said, rather touched. Well, that explained why he called me daddy.

"Uh huh. I wish it could be true. But …’

"But what?"

"My aunt and uncle say I’ll never be wanted by anyone," he sniffled.

"I want you," I told Harry, pulling him closer to me.

"You do?"

"Yes, and I’m working on a few things so that you can stay with me forever if you like. It might take some time because I need to get your aunt and uncle to sign some important papers first," I told Harry, deciding that I might as well tell him my plans. After all, I was going to do whatever I needed to do to get Petunia to sign those papers. The only choice she would have would be how quickly she’d sign them.

"Really?"

"Yes. Now, I think it’s time for little boys to be in bed, or Father Christmas won’t come!" I warned, settling him in my arms and carrying him to bed.

"But Father Christmas doesn’t bring me presents. Just ones for Dudley," Harry whispered sadly.

Way to go Snape, how the hell will you answer this one?

I wracked my brain for an answer, and somehow found one ready.

"Your aunt and uncle don’t believe in Father Christmas Harry, so he can’t visit their house. They were the ones to give Dudley gifts. But now that you are here with me, and I believe in Father Christmas, he can finally visit and bring you a present," I told him. Every kid had the right to believe. For them, that was the magic of Christmas.

"You’re sure?" he yawned as I tucked him into bed.

"Yes, positive," I said. "Sleep well, Harry."

"You should go to bed too then if Father Christmas is gonna come," he told me seriously.

"I will Harry, don’t you worry about that," I laughed softly, ruffling his hair and leaving the room.

I shut the door until it was open but a crack, and then I crept to the fire. I needed to check on Draco. I just had to, for that uneasy feeling had not gone away. I had tried to ignore the clawing in my gut and the light twinge in my left arm, but I couldn’t.

Luckily, Draco had a fireplace in his bedroom, and I could stick my head through the fire quietly. Just long enough to ensure he was alright.

"Malfoy Manor, Draco’s bedroom!" I said, throwing a pinch of powder in the fire and sticking my head in the flames.

In a whirl of emerald fire my head came to rest in the grate. But the fireplace was not the only place with a fire: flames were licking the walls of Draco’s empty room. My head sat there in the grate a moment as I watched in horror, the blackened wallpaper peeling away before my eyes. I had to get there. What if he was trapped somewhere? From the floo I could see that the fire was coming from somewhere down the hall, having traveled up the staircase.

I yanked my head out of the fire and summoned Dobby the house-elf, who I had heard liked Harry a great deal. I could have flooed straight into the manor but I would have been running the risk of a fireplace collapsing on me or getting myself trapped.

'What can I do for Master Professor Snape Sir?" cried the house-elf enthusiastically.

"Make sure Hermione and Harry stay safe, alert Minerva that Draco Malfoy is in danger and I have gone to his home to rescue him," I said frantically to the elf, whose grin faded to a look of determination.

"Dobby will do that Master Professor Snape sir!" bowed the elf.

"Thank you Dobby," I said hurriedly, pulling my shoes on and snatching up my wand.

With that I sprinted out of my quarters, running through the castle still in my dressing gown. But I did not care. Draco was in danger, and I had a sneaking suspicion it had something to do with the Dark Lord.

***

When I arrived at Malfoy Manor by apparition, almost the entire building was engulfed in flames. I raised my left arm and passed through the gate, sprinting toward the building. Thick smoke drifted past in a haze, obscuring the grounds.

"DRACO! DRACO!" I shouted, hoping that he would answer. He didn’t.

"Homenum Revelio!" I said frantically, waving my wand at the flaming manor.

The result of the spell told me there was someone in the Malfoy library, and I decided to go after whoever it was. If it was Draco, and I didn’t try to get him it would be yet another thing I could never forgive myself for. So, taking a deep breath I ran into the entrance closest to the library.

The heat blazed upon my face, gasping from the smoke I ran through the smoky corridor and up a staircase. I was getting closer to the heart of the fire, which seemed not far from the library. There was a floor-shaking smash as a thick beam fell in front of me, obstructing my way. The building was getting weaker, and I could not blast the beam out of my way. So, thinking of Draco and gathering my courage I backed up and took a running leap, flying through the flames and smoke. Once on the other side I was closer than ever to my destination and I could hear someone crying out.

When I reached the library, shelves were blazing and the ceiling was catching as well.

"DRACO! NARCISSA, LUCIUS!" I belted out as best I could through the smoke, searching behind furniture and corners for whoever it might be.

"Help!" I heard a weak cry from the corner. I swivelled around, indeed it was Draco. He looked terribly weak, with a gash cut diagonally across his face and one leg pinned by a fallen bookcase.

I ran toward him, he was struggling to take a breath in the thick smoke, he needed air. And I realised that I needed some too. Why had I not used a bubblehead charm?

I carefully levitated the bookcase off his crumpled leg. Draco gave a tired cry, tears running down his smoke-blackened cheeks.

"YOU NEED TO HELP ME DRACO!" I shouted over the roar of the fire, trying to pull him up of the ground with no avail.

Draco took a sharp gasp of tarry air and pushed off with his good leg, while I pulled him up from underneath his arms. Supporting most of his weight I dragged the injured boy over to the door while the ceiling creaked ominously overhead. It was close to collapsing. A small piece gave way and tumbled to the ground in a shower of sparks. I quickened the pace.

"Faster or we’ll never make it, the roof could go any second!." I croaked in Draco's ear after hearing another loud creak in the ceiling.

Draco was trying to tell me something as I pulled him past a suit of armour by the library entrance.

"B-b" he coughed as he tried to tell me something "Br-broo-’

 I followed his gaze and then I saw it. Draco’s broomstick. I snatched it ran out the doorway and into the corridor. The way I came was now completely ablaze, we hadn’t any chance of going that way. There had to be another way. I frantically searched for an exit, finally, I saw one.

There was a large window way down the opposite end of the corridor. That was the way.

"GET ON DRACO!" I cried as a loud cracking sounded from the library door.

I threw the broom underneath my legs, helping Draco on in front of me. The boy slumped back weakly. Bits of rubble began to rain down upon us as I pushed off, speeding forward like a bullet, one arm around Draco and one hand on the broomstick. Behind us I heard the loudest crack yet that was followed by a deafening rumble. But I didn’t look back. I concentrated solely on getting to that window as the roof fell in behind us.

My vision was blurring and my lungs screamed for air. Draco was now completely limp and I struggled to keep him on the broom with me. The rumble grew louder, and a loud smash behind us made me lean on the broom even harder, causing us to rocket at an alarming speed toward the window. It was then that I realised the glass had not been smashed out from the fire, it was quite intact.

I had no hope of blasting the glass out with my wand; we would just have to go through it. I closed my eyes and shielded Draco’s face as best I could; gritting my teeth and awaiting the impact, which came in seconds. The glass was brittle from the heat, allowing us to crash clean through it, gliding for a while before spiralling toward the ground. I was no longer able to hold onto the broom. My hands had grown too weak.

Being on the second floor we had a ways to fall. Thankfully there was a lake near the manor, and that was where we were headed; Draco falling like a ragdoll through the air beside me as I fought to stay conscious. I took a big gasp of air before we fell through the surface of the water.

The plunge was freezing, seeing as there as a light layer of ice on the lake. It took away my breath, making it difficult to keep my grip on Draco’s wrist, which I had grabbed as we fell. I struggled toward the surface of the lake with the unconscious boy, my whole body screaming for a rest. I could tell I was close, for I could see the flaming ruins of the manor shining through the water.

Finally, my head broke the glittering surface, and I took a huge gulp of air before pulling Draco to shore, making sure his head was above the water as well. It was then, resting upon the shore, sodden and tired that the building collapsed completely.

Draco stirred a bit, opening his eyes as I kneeled by his side. The cut across his face was still bleeding, crimson standing out from his white face. He barely seemed to register the fact that I was there as he coughed harshly from smoke inhalation. Suddenly, I heard voices coming from a point down the lake.

"My L-Lord, it was not I who gave the diary away, it was Narcissa!" said Lucius Malfoy, quivering with fear as the Dark Lord advanced upon him.

"You lie Lucius. Where is dear Narcissa anyway? She was far better a follower than you ever were." The Dark Lord hissed at him, fingering his wand.

"Dead, perished in the fire," said Lucius. He did not sound as if he cared.

Draco’s face drained of what little color it had left.

"Ah, and you will be joining her. I am afraid that diary was more important than you can know Lucius, not just a silly little book to write down one’s troubles." Voldemort said dangerously, holding his wand up against Lucius' temple.

"My-y L-Lord …’

There was a flash of green light and a thud of someone falling to the ground. The sound was followed by a loud crack, signalling the departure of Lord Voldemort. Draco gave a small cry.

"Let’s get you out of here," I told the boy gently before hoisting him up and taking him by sidelong apparition to the Hogwarts gate, where he faded into unconsciousness once again.

The End.
End Notes:
Hope you liked that one. I actually had not planned for Draco's plot to go deeper like this. I got a little spontaneous I guess. Review please! :)
Less than an Hour by Whitetail
Author's Notes:
I apologise for this one being a bit shorter, I was swamped with Potions (that's Chemistry for the muggles) all week. Next chapter will be longer!

I brought Draco to the hospital wing, floating upon a stretcher. Panting, I arrived at the door of the hospital wing and hammered on the door.

"Severus!" gasped Poppy, catching sight of me and Draco. "What happened?"

"I’ll tell you later, just help us," I gasped.

"You reek of smoke, was it a fire?" she inquired as she levitated Draco onto one of the many empty beds.

I nodded wearily, sinking into an armchair. I told Poppy what had happened as she dabbed a thick paste on his burns and mended his leg. The tale left her horrified and looking down on the boy with sympathy before continuing her work.

Ungg …" Draco moaned, opening his eyes once again.

"Oh good, you’re awake," Poppy said, now pouring out a few potions. "You’ve had quite a shock dear,"

Draco just looked up blankly as she told him to take the potions. He complied, but still looked as if he was off in another space. Poppy left briefly so that I could help him put on some pyjamas and crawl into bed; he was quite weak still.

"Draco, what happened," I whispered to him as I sat on the edge of the bed.

"I don’t wanna say," he whispered, turning his face away from me.

"How did you get that cut on your face. It had to be dark magic to scar," I said, indicating the thin white line across his cheek.

"It's nothing. Just let me sleep."

"That won’t solve anything," I said, taking his hand.

"I know. But I don’t want to think right now," he whispered, tears flowing down his face, which he brushed off angrily.

"It’s not a sin to cry, Draco," I told him softly.

"It’s weak, at least that’s what fath-" he said, stalling and eyes widening as the events came flooding back. He looked down, face screwed up.

"Did he do this Draco?" I asked, indicating the scar on his face.

He nodded.

"And the fire?" I whispered.

"Mother. She got mad at him for giving away You Know Who’s stupid book." Draco began. The dam was breaking. He took a deep breath before continuing.

"They were duelling. I tried to stop them, but Father gave me this," he indicated the scar "he told me to get out of the way. They were duelling to kill Severus, I tried to stop them but t-the bookcase got knocked over and … and …" he began to sob.

"Shh, it will be alright. I’m here," I said gently, pulling the distressed boy into my arms.

"He killed her. He killed her!" Draco sobbed. "He killed mother! Just like that!"

I held him as he sobbed onto my shoulder, rubbing his back as he let it all out. Draco may not have gotten along with Lucius, but at least was on good terms with his mother. She was sick though, she’d always been. Just like Bellatrix, but in a quieter way. I had always thought it was her that drove Lucius to get in with Voldemort. But it did not matter now.

"It’s going to be alright," I told Draco once more as Poppy came over with a dreamless sleep potion.

He downed it quickly, leaning into my embrace, whimpering before falling silent in my arms. Asleep at last.

I sat with him for a few minutes, watching him sleep, wondering how I would get him through this, when I had not been able to escape my own demons. I shook my head to clear all thoughts, tucking him in before making my way to the door. I glanced back at him briefly, guilt washing over me as I replayed the evening we had all shared together. If only I had had him stay the night. At least he could have been spared the trauma of being there when it happened.

Speaking of staying the night …

"Where do you think you are going?" Poppy said sternly, shattering my thoughts as she put herself between me and the door and pointed to a bed next to Draco’s.

"No way woman! I am not staying the night!" I growled, looking for a way out. I despised hospitals and anything to do with them. Visiting them was bad enough!

"Must you be so childish? You’ve had a nasty shock and need rest! Come here," she said, lunging at me and dragging me over to the bed by the sleeve of my singed dressing gown; over the years she had learned to take a rather offensive approach with me.

"I am not childish, I have a perfectly good reason for avoiding hospitals!" I defended myself, struggling to escape her grasp.

"You are staying and that is final."

"But can’t I just go back to my place and take a dreamless sleep?" I pleaded, trying to conceal the fear as memories crashed down on me.

"Mum?" said a boy of thirteen, his black hair falling like a curtain about his worried face.

"Oh Sev …" a sallow faced woman said weakly from a hospital bed, taking her son’s hand and cradling it in hers.

"Mum, you’ll be okay, right?" he whispered fearfully.

She was silent.

"Mum! You’re going to fine; I’ll make sure you will be. I’ll leave school to look after you … Please …" the boy pleaded.

"I wish it were that easy," she sighed, sad black eyes meeting with Sev’s.

"You’re coming home soon though, right? Right?" he asked quietly.

"Severus, I’m dying."

"But …" Sev whispered.

"It’s the truth. I’m sorry hon," said the mother, tears leaking down her pale, waxy face.

"It there’s a spell I’ll learn it, a potion I’ll make it! There’s got to be a potion, I could invent one-" said Severus frantically, beginning to break down as he desperately fought tears.

"Severus, there’s nothing you can do. There isn’t a way. There isn’t time," she said. "I’m sorry."

"Mum …" the boy sobbed heartbrokenly as she took him into her arms.

Together they lay on the hospital bed, cherishing their last hours together.

"Severus, don’t be ridiculous, you are staying, I need to make sure you are alright," Poppy said, leading me over to the bed, sitting me down and handing me some new pyjamas.

I followed blindly, unable to see anything but the white sheet being placed upon her, the flowers by her bedside shining brightly on a day that had no sun.

That was almost twenty-two years ago.

For Draco it had been less than an hour.

The End.
End Notes:
Well, sorry for this chapter being so depressing, it seemed less so while I was writing it. The next chapter will be happier though, it will be called 'Cheer Up Draco!' Review please!
Cheer Up Draco! by Whitetail
Author's Notes:
Yay! Update! Yikes what a week, I was a bit slower than usual eh?

"Can we wake him up?" I heard a loud whisper coming from beside my bed. The words sounded foreign as they worked their way through the haze that had gathered in my sleepy brain.

"Not yet, let him get up on his own," a woman said sternly. "He and Draco had quite the shock last night."

"Look he’s moving do you thing he’s awake that’s good then he can open presents we waited soooo long-" said a young girl loudly. I knew that voice anywhere.

"Well he’s awake now," Minerva groaned as I opened my eyes, blinking in the sunlight that streamed across my bed.

"Whazammater?" I grumbled, sitting up and peering about the hospital wing. Draco was still asleep in the bed next to mine.

"Uncle Sev!" Harry cried, throwing himself on top of me. Hermione soon followed.

I winced as my sore limbs protested to their energetic greeting.

"Happy Christmas Happy Christmas we can finally open presents-’

"And give you the one Mr. Dumledore helped us make!" Harry said excitedly, pointing to the little package in Minerva’s hand.

"For goodness sakes children, let the man breathe!" Minerva told them, lifting the two off of me one by one.

I gave Minerva a grateful look as she sat in the chair next to my bed. She smiled back before tapping the little package she carried with her wand. It enlarged into a small stack of presents.

"Let Uncle Sev open his first! Puleease!" Harry cried, scrambling back up on the bed and sitting on my lap.

"Alright," Minerva said, handing me a small rectangular gift.

"Open it open it!" Harry said. I smiled, his enthusiasm was contagious.

I slowly removed the paper, wondering what it could be.

It was a framed picture.

"Aww!" Minerva squealed, looking at the picture. I flushed slightly.

It was of Harry, Hermione and I. Dumbledore must have taken it when he visited that one day. In the picture Hermione and Harry were in the bathtub, covered in bubbles and tomato sauce and grinning up at me as I laughed. The frame was just as interesting as the picture however, seeing as it was covered with painted macaroni.

"Do ya like it?" asked Harry.

"I do. I really like the frame; did you two make it?" I replied, unable to escape the fuzzy feeling growing inside.

"Yes yes I’m glad you like it Mr. Dumblebore helped us isn’t it great can I open a present I hope I get a book-" Hermione said.

"Severus, I have to go now. I promised I would visit my sister today," Minerva said, rising.

"Alright. Thanks for looking after the kids," I said. She waved, wished us a happy Christmas and departed, leaving us alone in the hospital wing with a sleeping Draco.

"Well Harry, why don’t you give Hermione the present you chose for her," I said. He grinned and picked it up, handing it to the excited girl.

She tore off the wrapping paper to reveal the book Harry and I had spent so long looking for.

"Oooh what’s it called Uncle Sev what’s it called?" she rejoiced, waving the cover at me.

"Best Friends," I told her.

"’Cause you’re my very bestest friend Hermione!" Harry beamed.

"R-Really?" Hermione whispered, eyes widening.

"Yes!"

"You’re mine too you’re great Harry I love you I never had a friend before-" she gushed, hugging him and talking a mile a minute.

"I never had a friend before either," Harry whispered once she let go of him. "But I got one now!"

"Well, Hermione, why don’t you give Harry the gift you got him?" I asked after a moment, curious to know what it was.

"Oh here you go it’s great I hope you like it-’

Harry stared at the gift, a little smile on his face. He looked up at me, I nodded and he started to open it ever so slowly. Finally the paper was gone, and in his hands rested a pair of mittens. They had felt spikes and teeth sewn on; the mittens even had button eyes.

"They’re dinosaurs!" Harry said excitedly, pulling them on and wiggling his hands.

"And they don’t got holes in them like your other ones those must be cold and these are pretty colors they’re red and green and orange-’

"Thanks Hermione, Harry whispered to her. She beamed, grinning up at me toothily.

"And Hermione, here’s my gift for you," I told her. She leapt up beside me on the bed. Harry, meanwhile, was staring at Draco, who stirred slightly.

I watched as the girl pulled off the wrapping on the small package. She squealed with delight as she saw the contents.

"For my shoes oh they’re wonderful thank you so much I love purple-" Hermione spouted over the shoelaces.

"So that you remember, a person is only a failure if they stop trying," I told her softly. "Happy Christmas."

She just smiled, big brown eyes saying it all. The little girl inched closer to me, leaning against my arm and clutching the shoelaces to her chest.

"I love you Uncle Sev," she told me, quietly for once; I knew I’d hit the mark then.

"I love you too Hermione. I would even if you never learned to tie your shoelaces."

"You would?"

"Yes," I smiled, giving her a hug, which she returned.

I picked up the last gift, and handed it to Harry, who clambered up on my other side. He swung his feet slightly as he carefully opened the wrappings.

"Is it a storybook?" he asked, rather confused to what it was.

"Sort of. It’s a photo album," I told him, opening it on his lap so he could see.

"Is that you?" Harry asked incredulously, pointing at a young boy with long black hair. Beside the boy was a girl, leaning upon the fence he sat on. She was caught in mid laugh.

"Yes. It is," I said, smiling down at him. "And do you know who that girl standing next to me is?"

"Who?"

"Your mother, Lily Evans," I told him. His eyes widened.

"Wow, you were friends with my mummy?" Harry asked. "Can you tell me about her?"

"Absolutely," I told him, heart warming with the smile I got. "You have her eyes you know. Let’s see if I can find a color picture …’

I flipped toward the end of the album, looking for a specific picture. After a few moments I found it: the last picture taken before Lily and I had gone our separate ways. It was among the few taken in color, as we were about thirteen when Mr. Evans finally invested in a color camera. How he talked of the thing … I could still see Lily rolling her eyes when he droned on and on about how wonderful it was. Right, eyes.

"See, her eyes were green, just like yours," I said, pointing at the picture for a second before getting lost in my thoughts once more, almost wishing to fall into the picture. Next to me Harry seemed to be wishing the same thing as he drank in the image of the mother he never knew.

The image was a close-up of Lily’s face. She looked beautiful, wavy red hair framing her freckled face. This was the only picture that did those green eyes justice. Her hair and eyes went so beautifully together, which reminded me of how I used to tease her with the nickname “Christmas colours”. Calling her that usually earned me the famous look; it used to make me laugh so, that look, with her nose scrunched up and her hands upon her hips. She looked just like her Mother when she did it. It was quite uncanny really.

***

After I got dressed we spent a little while looking at pictures, waiting for Draco to awaken. When he did, Harry watched him, looking up from the photo album.

"Uncle Sev, he looks sad," Harry whispered in my ear.

"Yes, he does doesn’t he," I sighed.

"His house got all burned up didn’t it?" Harry said to me. I nodded.

"Then he won’t get any gifts on Christmas will he?"

"You are right Harry. And I sent his gift early so that he could open it on Christmas day," I said sadly. Now he would never get it. I would make it up to him soon however.

"Can I go get something from my room?" Harry asked suddenly.

"What is that you need? I can go and fetch it," I told him, wondering if he was planning to do what I thought he was.

"Father Christmas gave it to me! You were right Uncle Sev, he came!" Harry spouted. I smiled at his excitement. "I left it on my bed."

He must have been talking about the little box of sweets I had gotten him from “Father Christmas”. Hermione received a similar one. Minerva must have found them in my room and set them out for me.  Good thing too.

"Okay," I said, telling Poppy before going to get it for Harry.

When I returned Harry ran to me, motioning me to give the little box to him quietly. I watched him sneak quietly toward Draco, who was lying in bed with his back to us. Harry tapped the boy’s shoulder softly.

"Draco?" Harry asked.

"Yeah Harry?" Draco said wearily, turning to face the little boy.

"Sorry about what happened. It’s Chrismas and you should get a present today, so you can have one of mine," Harry told the boy sweetly, holding up the box of chocolate frogs, Christmas Bertie Botts and a few other little things.

I was shocked, I had never seen a four year old act so selflessly. I waited for the Slytherin’s answer, wondering how he would react.

"Thank you so much Harry, but I couldn’t take your present," Draco said, a little choked up.

"Will you share it then?" Harry asked, setting the box down. "See, we can each pick a few sweets, then we both get some! Go on, you pick first."

"Alright," Draco said with a rather watery smile. "I’ll have a chocolate frog."

"Those look good, I’ll have the other one," Harry informed Draco, picking a chocolate frog and placing it away from Draco’s.

The two continued in this fashion, until each had a little pile of sweets. The Bertie Bott’s were left in the package to share later.

"Thank you ,Harry," Draco said with a grin, getting out of bed and giving the boy a hug.

"You’re welcome Draco," Harry whispered. "’M sorry what happened. It’s scary not having a mummy and daddy isn’t it?"

"Yeah, I guess we both know what that’s like now," Draco sighed.

"But we both got Uncle Sev still!" Harry said brightly. "And he’s sorta like a daddy anyway."

"I guess you’re right Harry," Draco said, almost to himself before turning to the other four year old, currently bouncing by his bed. "What’s that you have Hermione?"

"It’s a story book Harry gave me for Christmas would you like to read it out loud then we can all listen and you get to share it too it looks interesting-’

"Sure, I rather like to read aloud," Draco said, clearly happy for the distraction.

"Great you’re the best Draco I have a best friend you know Harry said he’s my best friend I’ve never had even a friend before-" Hermione spouted as she climbed up next to Draco on his bed, meanwhile Harry did the same. Draco almost cracked a smile.

I watched the three, listening to Draco read the story to the children. He was extremely good at it; he had them laughing at the funny voices he did and made sure they both could see the pictures. That boy was constantly surprising me …

***

"So, I guess I’ll be living with you now, seeing as you’re my godfather," Draco said to me, shortly before dinner, while he prepared to leave the hospital wing.

Though he had been released with a clean bill of health and Poppy had healed him up physically, it was my job to help him pick up the pieces mentally.

"Yes you are," I told him softly while Harry swung his hand about with mine.

"Draco gets to live with us?" Harry asked, a wild grin on his face.

I nodded.

"Forever?"

"Until he’s old enough to go somewhere else if he would like. But he will always be welcomed home," I said to Harry, slipping in the last part for Draco.

"’Kay," The little boy grinned, running over to the Slytherin and taking his hand.

"You get to live with us that’s fun I won’t be here forever you know my mummy and daddy will come get me soon they’re on a trip you know at least that’s what Uncle Sev-" Hermione blabbered on as she took Draco’s other hand.

"Will you come and visit me Hermione? I’ll miss you," Draco said slowly, sounding slightly surprised with himself.

"Oh yes all the time if mummy and daddy will let me I’m sure they will they are always talking about how good it’d be for me to have friends they’ll be so excited that I have two now-"

***

"Mmm turkey’s really good," Harry sighed, rubbing his belly as we ate Christmas dinner in my quarters. I thought it would be better for Draco that way.

"I like stuffing best oh and cranberry sauce and potatoes and-"

"What do you like the best, Draco?" Harry asked the Slytherin, who he was sitting next to.

"Oh I don’t know," Draco said dully as he stirred his potatoes about his plate.

"Well no wonder, you haven’t eaten anything silly. Try the turkey, it’s good!" Harry told him.

Draco shrugged.

"Go on, it’ll be good. It's ok, I wasn’t sure if I’d like it 'cause I’ve never had it before," Harry told him, spearing a bite of turkey and sticking it in his mouth. "Yummy!"

"You had never had turkey before?" Draco asked, flabbergasted.

"Nope, aunt and uncle wouldn’t let me."

"Then what did you eat on Christmas?"

"Well, last year I had tinned soup. It wasn’t too bad either," Harry stated plainly, taking another bite of his dinner.

"Huh," Draco clearly thinking hard as he stirred his food around a bit more.

"Go on, try the turkey. Just a little," wheedled Harry.

"Oh all right," Draco sighed after a moment, taking a bite at last.

"It’s good, right?"

"Yes, it’s very good," said the Slytherin grudgingly, glaring at me as if it was all my fault.

"He is right, eat your dinner Draco," I said, smirking.

"-and carrots and peas and turnips and -" continued Hermione, completely oblivious to the conversation going on around her.

Ah, to be four again …

The End.
End Notes:
Well, I hope you liked it. I'm rather sad, the end is near ... And I mean of this story, not the world people. Don't get too worried! I look forward to your reviews. :)
A Shift of Years by Whitetail

"Where’s Draco gonna sleep?" Harry asked me sleepily as I helped him into his pyjamas.

"Probably on the sofa for tonight. I’ll figure out something better tomorrow," I told the little boy, lifting him into his bed and settling Rexy in his arms.

"He could have my bed!" Harry piped up.

"That’s okay Harry, I’ll sleep on the sofa," Draco said from across the room as he flipped through a picture book with Hermione.

"You could sleep with me Draco that way you won’t be scared of the monster that lives in the sofa cushions you know I could have sworn that I saw something-" Hermione jabbered away.

Oh goody, wait until Hermone’s re-aged. It will be extremely fun to bother her about the time she asked Draco Malfoy to sleep with her!

"Er, what lives in the sofa?" he asked, looking stricken.

I had forgotten how easily scared he was … which reminded me of when I had taken Draco, who was ten at the time, on a camping trip in the nice little wood past Hogsmeade. He had gotten so frightened after hearing something wandering through the trees (most likely a deer) that I had had to take him back. We ended up toasting marshmallows in my living room!

I chuckled slightly and tucked Harry and Hermione into their beds, giving them each a hug goodnight before exiting the room with Draco.

"There aren’t really, well, monsters in the sofa, right?" Draco whispered to me once we were out of earshot.

"Goodness no, why?" I laughed, eyeing him with amusement as I summoned a few blankets and spread them on the sofa for him.

"Oh, no reason, just checking," said Draco, flopping down on the worn cushions.

I sat down beside him.

"I have a question for you Draco," I said, slightly warily.

"It’s about Harry isn’t it?" said the boy, looking at me searchingly.

"Yes, actually," I said, rather surprised.

I looked him in the eye.

"When Harry is re-aged, I would like to ask him if he wants to come live with me. I just want to know what your opinion is on that," I said rather quickly. "His aunt and uncle, they …’

"So there is more to it," Draco wondered aloud as I fell into silence. "I always thought it was rather weird he stayed at Hogwarts for Christmas all the time …’

"If Harry says yes, would you be alright with it?" I inquired softly after a moment.

"Does he need you?"

"What?" I asked, surprised.

"Does he need you?" Draco repeated, slightly louder.

"Yes, he does."

"Then it doesn’t matter, my opinion. You do what you think is best," he told me. "But if you want to hear my take: I’m fine with the idea."

"Really, you would be alright with that?" I asked, incredulously. I had expected him to be rather unhappy with the whole plan.

"Yeah, I think things have changed between me and Harry. Especially now that Fath- um, I don’t really have anyone to disapprove now," Draco said rather nervously.

"Thank you Draco," I said. "It means a lot to me, and it will mean a lot to Harry."

"Do you think he will say yes?" asked Draco.

"I hope so," I sighed, patting Draco on the shoulder before getting up to check on the re-ageing potion.

"I kind of do too," I heard him whisper.

***

Sighing, I finally extinguished the flame beneath the re-aging potion. All that was left was for it to cool. Tomorrow morning Harry and Hermione would grow up again. To me, it felt as if my whole world revolved around those children, and now they would be gone again. Thankfully, I had Draco, and hopefully, Harry would stay. But what would become of Hermione? I would miss her. I sat down, my legs a little weak as it hit me just how much I cared for those three kids, two of which I could lose. Funny how you do not realise how much you need someone, until they are taken from you.

"Severus, are you alright?" I heard a soft voice calling to me from the doorway.

"I’m fine Draco," I sighed.

"Then why do you look so damned depressed?"

"Language Draco."

"Sorry, then why do you look so depressed?"

"Harry and Hermione are going to be re-aged tomorrow," I informed him.

"What, already?" Draco asked, sounding rather shocked. "But I still have to teach Harry Quidditch, when he’s my age again he’ll be practically teaching me! And I promised Hermione I’d have a tea party with her!"

He looked a little embarrassed about the last part.

"A tea party? Did you really?" I chuckled.

"It was only fair, I promised to do something with Harry so I asked her what she wanted to do," Draco grumbled. "Not my fault she chose a tea party."

"Well, as much as I would love to see you all dressed up and playing tea party, the potion must be administered as soon as possible after brewing, otherwise it won’t be as effective," I told him, genuinely disappointed that he would not have time to indulge in such hilarity. The pictures I could have taken …

***

That night I laid awake in bed, almost afraid to fall asleep. Afraid that when I awoke, and the children were re-aged everything would return to the way it was before the incident. I did not want them to resent and despise me, for I had finally learned that I was wrong. Would it be too late for me? Would they revert to their old opinions and judge me not for how I had treated them recently, but of how I had treated them in the past? Each of these questions seemed to rip away at my insides, and as the moonlight flickered across my bed and the clouds rolled in, I wondered … would their memories too, become holes in my heart? I had too many already.

At quarter to two I crept out of my bed, silent as the approaching storm outside my small window. Into the living room I tiptoed, glancing upon Draco, who slept rather restlessly upon the sofa. His pillow was stained with tears, which had since dried upon his face. With a lurch of my insides I realised that he had been completely silent. I sighed quietly and moved toward Hermione’s and Harry’s room. They too, were asleep. Both looked peaceful; no nightmares for Harry tonight. I could not help but wonder if tomorrow would become one.

Hermione muttered something about butterflies, making little faces in her sleep. It was a quirk I had learned to expect from her. Though she did not always sleep-talk of butterflies, they seemed to be a common theme. She was as interesting as Harry as she slumbered; only Harry seemed to be constantly troubled. Nightmares ... he had so many. As of late however, he had been having less. I wondered if it was because he felt safe with me around, for I was almost positive that I had been the first to comfort him after a nightmare. I doubt his aunt and uncle ever did.

I stood in the doorway for a long time, just watching them, enjoying the present. I would miss them terribly. Though I wouldn’t admit it to anyone.

It was a long time before I returned to my bed.

***

"Where are we going Uncle Sev?" Harry asked with a yawn as I carried him through the corridors.

"Yeah where are we going why couldn’t we sleep a little longer is it because it’s raining real hard out there is your house gonna flood if it is I want to get my books they wouldn’t like the water-" Hermione said at lightning speed from atop Draco’s shoulders. She was having far too much fun messing up his hair.

"Please Hermione, I spent ages trying to get that to stay!" he pleaded, grimacing as he felt the hair upon his scalp shift once again in her grip.

"It looks good this way why don’t you answer is it going to flood Uncle Sev please tell me-’

"It is not going to flood, Madam Pomfrey needs to give you two something so you don’t catch an illness that is going around," I told the children, using the cover story I had decided upon with Poppy. It would be far too confusing to tell them what was really going on.

"Then Mummy and Daddy are coming to get me aren’t they you said something about that right-’

"Yes Hermione," I said.

Poppy and I had thought it smart to tell Hermione her parents would be coming for her, seeing as she had been missing them as of late. It had surprised me how well Hermione had dealt with being away from her parents. It did make some sense however; she had informed me that she sometimes stayed with her cousins for a few days if her parents were really busy with work. Apparently dentists are busy people.

"Yay yay yay I can’t wait to show Mummy how good I did with tying me shoes and tell Daddy about Harry and Draco and how much fun I had with you Uncle Sev-’

"I’m sure they’ll love to hear it," I told her as Poppy opened the door of the hospital wing.

"There you are, I was wondering when you sleepyheads would arrive," Poppy laughed as she beckoned us in. "My, your little ones are still in pyjamas, slow start?"

"No, I let them stay in them because the potion is going to put them to sleep anyway," I told her, rubbing Harry’s back as he and Rexy snuggled into my shoulder.

"My pyjamas are purple see they’re my very favoritest ones you know-" interrupted Hermione.

"Good thinking Severus," she said as I handed her two miniscule phials of potion from my pocket.

"That’s all it takes to-" Draco began incredulously.

"Stop them from getting Dragon Pox?" Poppy said hastily. "Yes, the potion is very potent."

"Oh, right," Draco muttered, flushing slightly before moving Hermione’s hand away from his hair once again. The damage was done however, which resulted in a slight scowl from him.

I shook my head and strode over to a bed.

"Let’s give it to them before Harry falls asleep on me," I sighed, sitting down on the edge of the bed.

"What’s it gonna do Uncle Sev?" the little boy in my arms asked sleepily, looking up at me in wonder.

"The potion will make sure you don’t get sick with Dragon Pox, but it will make you really sleepy. You’ll probably sleep for a couple hours," I told him, feeling guilty for lying to him about the potion's real intent. But it had to be done.

"’Kay," he smiled.

You couldn’t help but smile back at that little boy, especially with his perpetual bed-head. It was quite endearing while he was little. Whereas when he was a teenager it was really quite irritating. Mind you, I can’t exactly talk can I? With me hair constantly greasy from potion fumes.

"Would you like a minute, Severus?" Poppy asked softly, looking from me to the children.

I nodded.

While I spoke with Harry, Draco said goodbye to Hermione. She looked quite distressed at the thought of not seeing Draco for a while. I could hear conversation relating to a tea party drifting toward me. I ignored it however, and turned my thoughts to the little boy before me.

"You’re a great kid Harry," I said, tucking him into his bed. "I hope you can come live with me and Draco."

"Me too, Uncle Sev. This week was the bestest week ever!" he told me enthusiastically.

"I’ll see you when you wake up," I sighed, giving him a nice long hug. "I have to go tuck Hermione in now, I’ll be back to give you your potion, okay?"

"Wait, I got something to tell you!" Harry said as I left to get up.

"What?" I asked, sitting back on the bed.

Harry crawled over to me and whispered something into my ear.

"I love you Uncle Sev."

"I love you too Harry," I replied softly, pulling him into another hug. He smiled at me, eyes so happy. Happier than I’d seen them for a very long time.

A few moments later I strode over to Hermione’s bed, and Draco moved over to Harry’s.

"Hello Hermione," I said, tucking the covers around the girl as she hung tight to her blanket.

"Is the medicine gonna hurt?" she whispered to me fearfully.

"No, you won’t feel a thing, but the potion in going to make you fall asleep for a while," I told her, smoothing the covers around her as I knelt by her bedside.

"That’s good and I’m excited to see Mummy and Daddy but I’m gonna m-miss you Uncle Sev-" she babbled tearfully.

"I’ll miss you too Hermione," I sighed. "You can come and visit any time you would like, alright?"

"Really I can?" she gasped excitedly.

"Yes, even when you are old enough to go to school here," I told the little girl. I hoped she would remember this conversation.

"But how will I visit before I can go here?" Hermione said tearfully. "Mummy and Daddy are too busy!"

"Don’t worry about it; I know you’ll be able to visit. There are special ways for wizards, and witches like you, to get around." I told her.

She still looked concerned, sniffing sadly.

"Now, I can’t give you your potion without seeing that smile again!" I said to the distraught girl.

"But I don’t feel like smiling Uncle Sev," she whimpered.

"Well, I have just the thing for that," I said mischievously, an idea occurring to me. She looked at me, wondering what I was up to.

I swooped down on Hermione and picked her up, tossing her up into the air. The little girl squealed with glee before landing safely in my arms again.

"That was so much fun do it again please please!" she begged, smiling once more.

"Once more," I chuckled, tossing her up again. I remembered how much Draco had loved when I did that.

"I think that’s better," I said to her, tucking her back in. "I’ll see you a little later Hermione."

"Okay," She smiled, giving me a hug before settling in again.

Harry tugged at my sleeve.

"Can you throw me too?" Harry asked.

"Sure," I said, picking him up.

***

Once both kids were settled down again, Poppy poured out the potion. I sat between the beds, which had been pushed closer together so I could be with them both as they were re-aged. I had charmed their pyjamas so that they would grow with them.

"See ya Uncle Sev!" Harry said with a smile before I helped him drink his potion; Hermione was helped by Draco.

"Goodbye Harry," I whispered as his eyes fluttered closed. Hermione, on my other side did the same.

I pulled Harry’s small frame into my arms, watching as his features changed and his limbs grew before my eyes, until the boy leaning up against my chest was no longer just a boy. He had become a young man once more. Beside me Draco watched Hermione’s transformation. He held onto her hand tightly. She had been quite fond of him, and he of her.

When the transformations were finished, Draco pulled out a book, and began to read in an armchair by the window. I however, sat in limbo between the two beds, wondering when the two would awake, and how my life would change in the next few hours. I slipped into a slumber with my back slumped against my chair, a hand on Harry’s shoulder, and a hand encasing Hermione’s.

The End.
End Notes:
Sniff ... I'm going to miss those little squirts. This will probably wrap up in about two more chapters. Reviews please!
Setting Sail by Whitetail

I awoke to the sound of voices, they sounded fuzzy to my tired ears. I sat up straight, cracking my back and wincing as I did so. I was getting too old for sleeping like that. I observed my surroundings. Hermione and Harry were gone. Draco was not in sight either. I got up quickly, beginning to panic.

"Harry, Hermione, Draco!" I said, pulling my wand out as I frantically searched the room.

"It’s ok Severus, they’re all over here," Poppy called to me from the table by her office. The three teens were sitting around it.

"Good to see you’re awake," Draco said. "Harry and Hermione woke up about twenty minutes ago. You’ve missed some great stories."

"Stories?" I inquired, raising an eyebrow as I strode over to the table, rubbing my back on the way.

"Yeah, Madam Pomfrey’s been telling us a few," Harry said. Merlin it was weird him being older …

"About what?" I asked, sitting down.

"You," Poppy said calmly, looking at me with a twinkle in her eyes.

"What! What sorts of things?" I gasped, mind jumping to the worst things she could possibly say. "Not my first trip to the hospital wing?"

"Oh, that’s a wonderful idea! I haven’t told them that one yet!" Poppy said enthusiastically.

"Arggg …" I groaned, dropping my head on the table with a clunk. Draco laughed.

Now I've done it.

"I remember clear as day: It was barely the third week of school, Severus' first year of course," Poppy began, "Goodness you were cute back then Severus… Anyway, he came to me at one in the morning he did. Horace Slughorn, the head of Slytherin in those days, brought Severus down to me; the poor dear, crying and all wrapped up in that quilt of his …’

"Couldn’t you just Avada Kedavra me?" I moaned, face still on the table. Hermione patted my hand sympathetically.

"You brought it up Severus," said Poppy, while the three teenagers listened intently, all three teenagers grinning in my direction. Well, except Hermione, who looked torn between amusement and sympathy.

"Severus had the worst fever I’d seen in years, he was shivering and shaking so bad Horace practically had to carry him up the stairs …"

"I am going to make sure you pay for this one …" I muttered, wishing nothing more than to curl up under a rock and die.

"Sure you will, now, back to the story. Severus was terribly distraught about the whole ordeal, and he was quite homesick too. I ended up having to floo his mother, Eileen. Such a nice girl …" that irritating woman rambled on, much to my dismay.

Poppy embarrassed me for a little longer before giving Harry and Hermione a final check-up. According to her, everything had gone well and they were free to go. So, I brought everyone back to my quarters so that Harry and Hermione could gather their possessions.

Their faces were quite amusing when I hung up the picture they gave me for Christmas. Both of them looked mortified, and Hermione asked if I absolutely had to hang it up. I told her that it would make a rather amusing conversation piece and that I was considering giving Rita Skeeter a call for her to come see it. Harry had burst out laughing at the joke, Hermione however wasn’t so sure that I wouldn’t. Draco assured her hastily that I would never do such a thing as she contented herself with packing her things up. Harry took the opportunity to ask me a question he’d clearly been dying to know the answer to.

"Have you seen Rexy?" he whispered to me when the other two teens were busy.

I smiled and covertly pulled the ragged toy out of my cloak pocket. I had rescued him from Harry’s hospital bed. I had also brought Hermione’s blanket, which lay folded on her bed. I had shrunk it briefly to put it in my pocket.

"Thanks," he mouthed, glancing in the direction of Draco.

"Harry, can I have a word with you?" I asked him.

"Um ok," Harry said.

I led him into my office and motioned for him to sit down. I sat across from him, behind my desk.

"I want to know, would you still like to, well, stay with Draco and I?" I inquired nervously, getting straight to the point.

"So, I wouldn’t go back to the Dursleys, right?" the boy asked, eyes brightening slightly.

"Yes, just like I said when you where de-aged," I told him, trying to predict what he was going to say.

"Would you, er, adopt me or something?" inquired the teenager, still a little on edge.

"Yes, I would get your aunt and uncle to transfer guardianship to me," I replied, wondering if Harry would even want this now. "You will be leaving the Dursley’s regardless of your decision; if you do not want to stay with me, you may suggest someone else."

"No, I want to stay with you," the boy began, "but-’

" -there’s Draco," I completed.

"Yeah," Harry sighed, lowering his voice to a whisper and looking at me insecurely from under his untidy mop of hair. "I just, I- I’m sort of worried he hasn’t really changed."

"He’s afraid that your views of him have not shifted as well," I told him quietly.

"Really, are you sure?"

I nodded.

"Please stay, Harry!" I heard a voice from the door.

There you go, another good example of Draco Malfoy shocking the black socks off me. The last thing I expected for him to do was outright ask Harry Potter to come live with him! Though I must admit, his timing was impeccable.

"Draco, must you eavesdrop?" I called out to him in exasperation, massaging the bridge of my nose. Harry looked stuck between amusement and surprise.

"Um, yes?" said Draco, poking his head through the door with what he clearly thought was a winning smile.

I got up and lightly shoved his face out the door before telling him to go bother Hermione some more. He grinned, replying that it would be his pleasure and went off to do just that.

"Sorry about that, he’s a little nosy, as I’m sure you have noticed," I said, waving my wand over the door to secure it and make it more difficult for us to be overheard.

"I’ll stay," Harry blurted before I had turned around.

"You will?" I asked, rather excited. "Are you sure, there are a fair few others that Albus has tracked down that would make great guardians and you would have them all to yourself …’

I started to suggest a few people, all the while fearing he was making a decision he would regret.

"-you always got along with her, and she’s in the Order too so you’d be informed-’

"I don’t want to live with any of those people," Harry interrupted me.

"- are you sure? I do have my flaws, you know that. I still have to spy too … so it might be better for you to choose someone else-"

"Yeah, but someone else can’t be you," I heard Harry say, it seemed to come to me slowly, almost like the beacon from a lighthouse traveling a great length, fighting through fog.

"Oh," I said, gaping like a fish. It was starting to sink in. Harry wanted to stay. He really did.

Harry grinned. I returned it. Overall I felt a little stunned at the prospect of him staying. But happy, really happy. I was shaken back to the present by a messy haired teenager rocketing himself at me and into my arms. Some things would never change, I guessed.

"Oof!" I said, smiling and pulling Harry closer. We stood there for a few moments, before we were interrupted.

"He’s staying he’s staying!" Draco shouted excitedly, running through the doorway and nearly tackling the two of us as he made to hug us both.

Harry stared at the blonde.

"Um. I mean, good decision, Potter," he said cooly, pulling away and looking around in embarrassment.

Harry burst into laughter, and I found myself joining him. It seemed like ages before we could keep a straight face. When I had regained control I could see Hermione standing in the doorway, with a rather Slytherin smirk on her face.

"Thanks for letting me in, Hermione." Draco said, giving the thumbs up.

"You’re welcome, Draco," she said, twirling her wand and drifting back to the living room where she sat sorting through her things.

"Ten points to Gryffindor for excellent spellwork," I sighed grudgingly as I followed the two boys into the living room. How she managed to break through my spells … No doubt about it, that girl had brains. She knew it too.

"Two points from Gryffindor for looking smug!" I barked lightly at Hermione. She just laughed.

"Old habits die hard don’t they?" Hermione said.

"Maybe …" I mumbled.

"Um, speaking of old habits … what are Hermione and I supposed to call you now? Outside of class at least," Harry inquired, looking a little puzzled.

"Hmm, you can call me Severus if you want, or if you choose you may call me Uncle Sev," I said lightly before continuing on to threaten the two of them with certain death if the referred to me as Uncle Sev during class. "But please, don’t call me 'Seberus'."

Draco blushed and mumbled something along the lines of bad pronunciation and being little at the time so it wasn't his fault.

"I think I’ll stick with Severus," Harry told me.

"I believe I shall do that as well," Hermione agreed.

"Good, because it would be far less mortifying if you accidentally called me Severus in class. I’m going to have a hard enough time salvaging my reputation among the staff, let alone among students! Well, except for those few Hufflefpuffs and Ravenclaws but no one will believe what they say anyway …" I rambled on, still having trouble believing Harry actually wanted to stay.

***

"Bye Hermione," sighed Draco, giving her a brief hug as she prepared to floo to her home.

"Goodbye everyone!" Hermione told us, giving Harry and I hugs as well. "I’ll miss you guys so much, even if I’ll only be gone for a few days …"

"We’ll miss you too," Harry assured her. "Good news is, you don’t need to worry about me now; I’m in good hands here."

"That’s a relief, summers have been murder, waiting for you to show up at the Burrow," she said.

I glanced at Harry, he looked rather far off, as if his mind had been swept away from by Hermione’s statement.

"But guess what, Harry!" Hermione piped up.

Harry returned to our dimension for the moment.

"Professor Dumbledore arranged for my house to be connected to the floo network during holidays, that way I can visit you ! If that’s alright with Severus of course," she said, adding the last part with a hopeful glance in my direction.

"That would be just fine Hermione," I said. She smiled once more, and with one more chorus of goodbyes she disappeared within the emerald flames.

***

That afternoon I went on a mission, and returned victorious. I had told Harry and Draco that I needed to go to the apothecary to restock my supplies. In reality I decided to pay dear Petunia and her useless husband a visit. It had been quite interesting for the three of us: there was much yelling and many freak comments made by Petunia, but I did eventually get the guardianship papers signed, even if it was in a rather roundabout way.

I returned to find Draco and Harry gone. I did not worry however, for Draco had left a note saying that he was teaching Harry about “Kidditch” like he’d promised, and was most likely getting a few pointers of his own. I shook my head in amusement before throwing my cloak back on and making my way down to the Quidditch pitch.

I arrived just in time to see Harry pull a spectacular trick on his broom, which ultimately made my heart skip a beat. He had seen me coming and was now speeding to the ground, laughing.

"You nearly gave me heart failure, Harry!" I scolded him once he had landed, windswept upon the frosty ground.

"Aw, come on, it’s fun. You should try it sometime," Harry said, glancing up at Draco who was pursuing a snitch with determination.

"I don’t think so; I doubt Poppy wants another “Suicide Ridge” on her hands," I told him. Harry shrugged.

"So, what are you down here for?" Harry asked curiously.

"I have a letter for you from your aunt and uncle," I said, pulling an envelope from my cloak pocket.

"Oh," Harry said unenthusiastically, taking the envelope and inspecting the writing on the front. I had made Petunia address it to him. He looked up at me, suddenly curious. "I thought you were doing something more than just restocking supplies …’

I shrugged.

"And why does the return address say 'Cupboard under the stairs' in it?" he inquired.

"Oh no reason," I said, grinning slyly at him. Harry’s eyes widened slightly before he tore open the envelope.

Within the envelope were the guardianship papers, signed and filled out. All that was left was for Harry to sign too.

"You got them!" Harry said, excited.

"I did. Though Petunia didn’t seem too happy about it, considering they will no longer be receiving compensation for looking after you," I said.

"What? So they were given money to look after me?" Harry said, flabbergasted.

"A small amount periodically, it had seemed only fair seeing as Albus just dumped you on their doorstep with no notice," I said, growling slightly on the topic of Dumbledore.

"And they complained about how expensive I was to keep!" Harry hissed.

"Imbeciles … however, they got what was coming to them."

"What did you do to them?" Harry inquired curiously, looking as though he wasn't sure he wanted to know as he followed me and sat down at the side of the pitch.

"let’s just say your aunt and lump of an uncle had a date with the cupboard under the stairs," I said vaguely.

"You stuffed them both in the cupboard? At the same time?"

I nodded, sniggering.

"How did you make them fit?" asked Harry, looking at me in awe.

"Oh, a few well placed hexes and they backed up real nice, practically shoved themselves in. Don’t worry, the hexes will wear off eventually," I said.

"Oh, I’m not worrying," Harry assured me. "Which ones did you use?"

"Well, on Petunia, a marvellously obscure hex that makes antlers grow from one’s head. Vernon however, was the recipient of a hex of my own invention which makes a person glow fluorescently and call out strange barnyard noises every time they open their mouth. I’m rather fond of it, it gets quite irritating to people around, as well as the recipient of it. I must say they’ll have hard time sleeping tonight due to the nice lime green glow that Vernon is currently emitting."

"They will get out of the cupboard eventually though, right?" Harry asked, slightly concerned.

"Oh yes, about eight-o-clock tomorrow morning the door is charmed to unlock itself," I told him.

"Well, that’s good, that cupboard isn’t entirely comfortable you know," Harry whispered. "Thanks Severus, for well, looking out for me."

"My pleasure," I replied, pulling out a quill for him to sign the papers. And he did so rather enthusiastically.

We talked a little while longer, and I told Harry of Albus' plan to go through muggle adoption agency. Harry wanted to go as soon as possible, and we would. The appointment was scheduled three days away. I patted Harry on the back before making my departure, suggesting that he fly some more and make sure that Draco didn’t kill himself.

He did just that, a grin plastered across his face as he flew up into the air to tell Draco the news.

I heard excited shouts as I strode away from the pitch.

***

"Lights out you party animals," I said Harry and Draco, who were still talking away, and had been into the late hours of the night.

They were sharing the room Harry and Hermione had, but it now looked rather different. The walls were a pleasant blue (amazingly both Harry and Draco had agreed on the color) and the small beds had been transfigured to roomy four-posters, not unlike the ones in their dorms. Both of the teenagers lay sprawled across their beds in their pyjamas, deep in a discussion about Quidditch fouls (Draco was quite knowedgable in this subject, having committed almost all of them) when I interrupted.

"But we have to catch up on the years of friendship we missed, Severus!" Draco said to me, hoping he could stay up later.

Draco was definitely a creature of the night, he loved to sleep in late. And to think people called me the bat of the dungeons!

Well, I suppose it doesn’t help that I sort of flap about the room on occasion to scare the first years … but it’s ever so much fun.

"All right, I suppose you actually want to get some sleep tonight," Harry said, making his way to the lights and turning them off.

"Goodnight boys," I said, closing their door and going off to my own bed.

I was very happy about the prospect of sleeping, but I just couldn’t. I was too on edge, expecting something to go wrong or for a four year old Harry to creep into my room and tug on my sleeve because he had a nightmare. After a while I got up to sit by the fire for a while. As I made my way across the living room, my feet silent across the soft rug upon the flow, I heard voices. Draco and Harry were still talking, and I wondered what about. It sounded quite serious actually. I edged closer to the door and casted a charm so that I could hear what they were saying better.

"-can’t believe I get to stay." I heard Harry say. "What do you think made Severus change his mind about me?"

"I dunno, I think he saw a bit of himself in you." Draco answered sleepily.

"Really? What on earth did he see?"

"I dunno, I think it was 'cause he’s been through similar things."

"Like what?"

"A lot of things, but maybe you should ask him," said Draco.

"Maybe I will," Harry answered through a yawn.

"You should. There’s a lot more to Severus than people think."

"There’s a lot more to you than I thought too. I really thought I knew you …" Harry told Draco.

"Same. But that’s the thing isn’t it? Unless you have a little more in common than with the rest of the people around you, you don’t really bother to get to know a person. And now we have a bit more in common."

"Well, lots; we’re sort of in the same boat now, aren’t we?"

"Yeah, but you know what? I don’t think I mind it all that much after all."

I didn’t mind it either. In fact, I sort of liked it. And as I fell into bed, it came to me: whatever lay ahead for us in the future, didn’t matter; because together, we’d face it. Harry, Draco and I.
The End.
End Notes:
Don't burst into tears yet, there's going to be an epilogue which will tie up a few things! I hope you liked the ending. Anyway, I'll try to get it up fairly soon so you guys don't show up at my house with torches or something. Thank you so much for all the reviews last chapter!
Epilogue by Whitetail
Author's Notes:
Sniff, it's the very last chapter! :(

The thirty-first of December found Harry and I walking through the school grounds and up to the castle dressed, oddly enough, in muggle clothing.

I wore a dark grey jumper along with a rather worn pair of blue-jeans, something I was accustomed to wearing during the summer. Harry’s knitted jumper shone brightly in the soggy grounds. He also wore jeans, but unlike mine, they were new. The other day I had noticed the fact that Harry’s clothing, besides school attire, was horribly too big for him. So, I had made him chuck all of his cousin’s horrible clothes and we had gone to Muggle London, shopping for new ones. It was a rather interesting experience for the both of us. Draco, of course, had stayed home. Today however, we had been in London for an entirely different reason.

"Congratulations Harry, you’re officially my problem now," I said warmly, slapping him across the back. "I’d say we celebrate."

"Definitely," Harry said through a stupid grin he had been wearing since we left the adoption agency.

"Why don’t we go down to the kitchens for something hot to drink?" I suggested, shivering slightly in the nippy air.

"Sounds great."

And with that we set off, through the almost deserted hallways of Hogwarts, not bothering to change as majority of students were still on holiday. We did however drop by my quarters to see if Draco was around, but he was not. I was not worried, nor surprised, seeing as he had said he might wander the castle a little. I hastily scribbled a note to him revealing our whereabouts should he wish to join us. After setting the note on the table, Harry and I set off once again through the corridors.

I was really looking forward to a nice warm drink in the toasty kitchens. Though the temperature had risen considerably since the storm, it was still quite chilly out.

By the time we reached the kitchen entrance, Harry and I were in the middle of an interesting conversation regarding a new species of carnivorous plant (which had nearly taken a chunk out of Umbridge) Pomona Sprout was growing. But no sooner had I pulled the door open than Harry fell deathly silent, mouth gaping wide open. I soon saw why.

Draco Malfoy, wearing a dress, drinking tea and eating biscuits. His back was turned to us, but there was no mistaking his blonde hair, which had pink bows tied haphazardly about his head.

Hermione sat opposite him, and saw us immediately. She grinned, whereas when Draco turned around, he looked mortified.

"What in Merlin’s name are you doing?" I asked, lip twitching as Harry keeled over laughing beside me.

"Why don’t you ask her," Draco moaned, gesturing at Hermione, who was also dressed up.

I looked at her pointedly.

"Well, Draco still had to play tea party with me; he did keep his promise with Harry after all," she said calmly as she thrust a plate at me. "Biscuit?"

"No thank you," I said, taking a seat. "What are you doing back? The rest of the students still haven’t returned."

"Oh, I missed you lot so I dropped by for a quick visit, we’re connected to the floo network now you know. When I arrived Draco was the only one there, and after he told me about playing Quidditch with Harry yesterday, I thought it would be a marvellous time for him to fulfill his promise to me," she snickered, taking a sip of tea.

"I like your dress Draco; it makes you look oh so pretty," Harry snorted, taking the biscuit Hermione offered him.

"Shut it or else," Draco warned.

"Or else you’ll do what?" Harry grinned.

"Wave my pretty pink ribbons at you!" he mock threatened, shaking his head slightly and causing the bows in his hair to flop about feebly. This resulted in a wave of laughter from the two of them.

"Hermione, where on earth did you find the clothes?" Harry asked once he had recovered.

"Severus' closet," she replied simply.

"WHAT?!" I spluttered, nearly spitting tea on Draco and feeling utterly confused. Did Minerva screw around with my wardrobe as a joke again?

"I’m joking," Hermione laughed, patting my hand. "The look on your face …"

"Could you joke less Hermione? I just about got sprayed!" Draco grimaced, looking at me warily.

"I got the clothes from the Room of Requirement," Hermione answered Harry's question, ignoring Draco's comment. She covered her mouth as soon as she said it.

Harry looked at me, horrified.

Draco looked confused.

The two Gryffindors needn’t have worried, I knew all about their little group called Dumbledore’s army, and the room as well. I actually approved of their little defense group, not that I would admit it.

"So that’s what you call it," I stated.

"You know about the room?" Hermione asked, looking relieved she hadn’t let the secret out after all.

"I do, stumbled upon it in my second year, I needed a place to hide from ... a few students that weren’t particularly happy with me," I said, recovering myself quickly. I had nearly said James Potter.

Harry didn’t suspect a thing. And I was glad of this, I didn’t want him to know the details of the hatred that shared between his father and I. That was another reason I had been reluctant to teach him occlumency; if he were to break into my thoughts accidentally, what would he see? I was shaken out of my thoughts by Draco’s irritated voice.

"What in the blue blazes are you talking about? And what on earth is the Room of Requirement? Not that silly costume room we found?"

"Oh yes, that was it. Tell you what, I’ll show you what else the room can do sometime. But only if you keep it a secret!" Hermione said to him. Draco shook his head as if she were raving mad. "Speaking of clothing actually, why are you two dressed like Muggles?"

Harry grinned stupidly.

"We took the papers in today," I told her.

"That’s wonderful! So you have guardianship over Harry now?" she asked me.

"Yes," I said, lips curling into a slight smile. It was a good day for both of us.

***

The four of us went back to my quarters after a while, where Draco gratefully changed into something that didn’t damage his dignity.

"Come over here Draco," I said from the rug by the fireplace, where I was having a game of wizard chess with Harry. Hermione sat nearby, curled up with a book I had lent her.

"What?" he asked as he emerged from his room, now clad in jeans and a blue jumper.

"Bend over a bit." I told him.

"Er, ok."

I untied a pink bow from his hair and thrust it into his hand.

"You missed one," I laughed.

"Oh, that’s real funny Severus. How would you like it if we tied bows in your hair and made you wear a dress?" Draco told me rather grouchily.

"That can be arranged!" Hermione spouted from overtop her book.

"If you even think about it Miss Granger you will be disembowelling toads for weeks on end," I said with my most frightening glare.

"Ooh, I’m so scared," she said dryly, turning a page.

Who knew that one day I would be taking such cheek from students and finding it amusing …

***

In time Hermione departed with a cheery goodbye, leaving Draco, Harry and I to do our own thing. Harry and Draco chose to go outside and fly around the Quidditch pitch; I however, was quite behind in marking papers, as most of my holiday had been preoccupied with four year olds and a certain Slytherin. So I took a seat at the kitchen table, where I would be able to look out the small window if I wanted to. And with that I began marking papers.

The students got off a little easier on their assignments that day; for once I was more helpful than sarcastic. I just felt different that usual, but I wasn’t quite sure why. Perhaps it was the nice sunny weather outside, or maybe the little picture with the macaroni covered frame that hung nearby, or even the woolly socks Albus had given me for Christmas. But the most likely reason, I thought, was that even though my quarters were quiet and empty at the moment, two laughing boys would return to me. And that made all the difference.

The End.
End Notes:
Thank you so much to everyone who read and reviewed my story. Your input was great, and I can't count the number of times my day has been made with your positive reviews, pointers and encouragement! I hope you liked the ending, and I would love to hear your views on it!
-> Also, there's now a sequel to this, and a third installment as well. See the summary for the link to the second!


This story archived at http://www.potionsandsnitches.org/fanfiction/viewstory.php?sid=2240