Sword of Slytherin by Lady Lanera
Summary: Following events in "Summer School," Harry starts to dream of black misty creatures and Voldemort and his Death Eaters, who are all searching for the fabled Sword of Slytherin. What does all this have to do with his new mum and baby sister, though? Join Harry and his friends and family as they unravel Slytherin’s deadly secrets during Harry’s fifth year.
Categories: Parental Snape > Guardian Snape Main Characters: .Snape and Harry (required), Draco, Original Character, Sinistra
Snape Flavour: None
Genres: Action/Adventure, Drama, Family, Humor
Media Type: None
Tags: Adoption, Alternate Universe, Vampires
Takes Place: 5th Year
Warnings: Profanity, Romance/Het, Violence
Challenges: None
Series: Ties that Bind
Chapters: 18 Completed: Yes Word count: 92454 Read: 57391 Published: 23 Aug 2010 Updated: 09 May 2011
Breakdown of the Noble and Valiant Heart by Lady Lanera
Author's Notes:
Enjoy.

My green eyes dart towards the sound of the voice. My mouth then slightly opens as I watch Declan step out of the shadows. His dark eyes narrow on me for a moment in what I can only describe as disappointment, but he quickly glances away and sighs.

"So, tell me. Which one of you shall inform me of the reasoning behind six students of Hogwarts deciding to visit Darfor Castle so late at night?"

"The sword is here, Declan," I answer, stepping forward.

"Is that right, young Master Harry?" He then clucks his tongue. "I suppose you dreamt this."

"El said that Dad's mum would help us. Well, I dreamt about her tonight. She was after the sword for some reason, too, and she came here. She called it by name."

"I see," he replies quietly. His nostrils then flare as his eyes darken.

"Why are you angry?"I ask, completely thrown by his behavior. "I mean, you practically goaded me into doing something like this in the library a few days ago."

"I most certainly did not instruct you to run away in hopes of finding the sword. I was merely showing you both sides of the argument, young Master Harry, and I was likely also attempting to play the role of a sympathetic ear. Last time I do attempt to, I assure you." He then shakes his head. "But as I stated that day, I do not have the authority to tell you to go against your father's wishes nor would I ever tell you to do so!" His head then snaps upwards towards the top of the stairs to my right with a confused look on his face.

I too then glance up, wondering what he is staring so intensely at. My mouth instantly drops at the sight of a young woman walking down the marble staircase, heading towards us by the look of it. I can't help but think that she is by far the most beautiful woman I've ever seen.

Taking each step slowly like a panther stalking its prey, she floats down the staircase. Her raven hair bobs up and down with each step, causing her to brush back her feathery bangs with a faint smile. The bluish hue of her black hair becomes more noticeable as the layers grow progressively longer from the start of her chin to the back of her neck.

Her short haircut has left her shoulders exposed, particularly her very pale right arm that supports her top by only a thin strap; consequently, it exposes much of her bosom. The sleeve of her left arm, however, reaches her wrist, and I can't help but feel a bit cheated that I am not going to get to see a complete set bounce out of her black top.

As she continues down the stairs, her solid white skirt loosely sways against her knees, the ruffles at the bottom bouncing effortlessly. Occasionally, I catch a glimpse of perfectly white skin around her knee as her calf high boots click smartly against the marble steps.

"Now, now, Declan," the woman purrs. "We mustn't play with our food." Her eyes then narrow on me. "Ah, so it isn't food after all. Hello there, young ones. We mean you no harm," she says, holding up her pale hands.

"Esmée," Declan says with a sigh. "What are you doing here?"

"Well, love, you can't keep me locked up forever in that godforsaken place. A woman like me needs to be out every now and then." Her smile then widens, showing off her pearly white fangs. "Especially in the presence of such young ones, Declan."

"And if you touch one of them, Esmée, you'll find yourself—"

"Yes, yes, Declan," she says with a sigh. "Merlin, you do bore me to death."

"Then perhaps you'll leave this to me, oh great Lady Esmée," he replies with a forced grin.

"No doubt you are wondering who the hell I am," she says, glancing towards us.

"They're likely wondering who let you out, Esmée," Declan grumbles.

"Oh, hush, Declan," she replies, rolling her eyes. "I am the great Lady Esmée." Her smile then turns into a frown as she sighs. "In other words, young ones, I'm his intended."

"Gee, dear, don't sound so thrilled about it."

"Oh, trust me. If I had known what life would be with you, Declan, I never would have asked you." She then huffs before forcing her smile back to her lips. "No matter, though, we all make our hell. I just have to live it for an eternity with him."

"Well, don't vampires have divorce or something?" I ask.

"Yes, well, staking poor Declan is a bit too harsh, even for me." Her eyes then light up in pure joy. "Oh, Declan, you brought me a child!"

My eyes narrow on Esmée. What child is she talking about? There isn't a child in here with us. I then glance around the room, gasping a moment later when I catch a glimpse of my little sister hiding behind a bookcase. That son of a—

"Touch her, and Lady Syra will stake you herself, Esmée."

"But why, Declan?"

"She is Lady Syra's granddaughter," he responds quietly.

"Oh! Well, never mind then. I suppose I'll keep searching for our perfect child." Esmée then laughs awkwardly. "No hard feelings, young one."

"Why in the hell is my sister here, Declan?" I growl, stepping towards him.

"Cause I grabbed his hand when he went to get you," Angel answers before hanging her head. "Daddy's going to be mad, isn't he, Harry?"

"Mad isn't the word I'd use, El," I reply, wondering if we should go back now to escape the full brunt of Dad's wrath. I then sigh quietly. We can't go back, not until we find the sword. Who knows when we're going to get another shot like this again? "Let's just try to find the sword, all right? We'll worry about Dad later."

"Good luck with that," snorts Ron.

I don't respond. After all, Ron's right. Ignoring Dad's sure blow up for now is a bit like ignoring a person drowning. Someone still ends up dead later. However, I have to find the sword to keep Mum safe. I just have to.

~SS~

A half-hour later, I sigh. The majority of the rooms are empty as if someone has cleaned the place out. I then shake my head, grabbing the door handle to open the closed door. Unlike the previous doors, though, this one doesn't open. I try again, pulling out my wand when the door remains closed. I mutter a soft Alohomora, dropping to the floor a second later as my spell ricochets off the door.

"I think there's something in this room!" I shout to get the others. I hear them rushing towards me a few moments later. "I tried to open it, but it wouldn't budge. So I then casted Alohomora on it, and the spell went awry," I explain to them.

"What an interesting carving," drawls Esmée as she inspects the door. She then glances towards me. "Forgive me, young one, but is it not true that you speak Parseltongue?"

"Yeah, I can. Why?"

"Then I suggest you speak it, young one." She smiles softly. "I believe you'll find above the door an engraving that is Parseltongue. Granted, I don't have such a gift, but I hear that you do. Perhaps you should try saying what it says."

I sigh before I glance towards the engraving. I can read it perfectly, as if it is English. Very softly, I hiss the words, just barely hearing it myself. The door in front of me remains closed, though.

"How very disappointing," Esmée drawls with a frown. "Tell me, young one. What does it say?"

"Um, well, it's something like 'doors open and shut when blood and tongue combine."

"Ah, well, it would seem that Sal had a bit of a sardonic nature to him," she replies, laughing. "Then again, it could be code for something."

"No, really, Esmée?" replies Declan sarcastically. "I do wonder where you got that idea from." He then glances towards me before sighing. "Tongue likely is in the old sense, meaning Parseltongue. And blood, well, that is rather clear as to its meaning." His eyes then wander over to Angel for a second.

"What?" I exclaim with a horrified look.

"Tis okay, Harry," Angel replies quietly, biting her bottom lip.

"No. It is not okay, El," I growl. I then feel my heart constrict when Angel holds her hand out to Esmée without a second of hesitation. I turn away as Esmée presses her long fingernail against Angel's hand, drawing blood to the surface instantly. When I glance back, Esmée is pressing Angel's hand against the door, motioning for me to speak again. I softly say my line in Parseltongue, regretting it all the while. The door clicks open, and I glance towards Angel, gritting my teeth when Esmée kisses her hand. Great, that's all I need, a vampire near my sister's blood. "I'll be taking her, thank you," I snap.

Esmée rolls her eyes at me, however, laughing all the while. In fact, she seems to be rather amused by me, but I am definitely not at all amused. I'm likely already going to be in enough trouble as it is with Dad for running off. Add Angel going along for the ride and a vampire with her blood on its lips, well, I might as well dig my grave now.

"Oh, please, young one," Esmée drawls. "You worry too much." She then laughs. "Your sister is not even my blood type." Her eyes dart to the room then. "We should, however, start checking things out, though, before we all grow old with boredom."

I don't respond. I just walk in, holding my little sister's hand to keep her close to me. I can see the looks between Ron and Draco, but I ignore them. I mean, sure, I might be a tad overprotective, but shouldn't I be? I'm a big brother of a curious Slythindor. And if Draco knows what is good for him, then he should join in and help me protect our little sister.

The room is stacked full of items. In fact, this entire room seems to be a treasure-trove. In front of me is a case of jewelry that goes from floor to ceiling, which from my estimates contains at least a hundred or so pieces. To my right and left are bookcases filled with albums and journals. I watch Ron and Nott peruse though the albums a moment later. I then notice Hermione glancing down at the rich mahogany desk at the various papers littering its top. She grabs a tiny gold key, glancing towards me.

"Probably for a safe in Gringotts, wouldn't you say, Harry?"

I nod slowly, wondering why she's asking a question she already knows the answer to. However, I push that aside when I notice the words "Gryffindor" and "Syrene" on a few of the papers on the desk. I pick one of them up, skimming it only to realize that it's a letter between Slytherin and Gryffindor a few lines into it. Gryffindor seems to have been warning Slytherin about something, but I can't figure out what that something is. I then grab another letter, skimming it. This one contains Gryffindor's pleas for Slytherin to get rid of the sword before something happens. One more letter I pick up, nearly dropping it a second later when I realize that it's a love letter from Slytherin to Syrene that is dated the day that Slytherin supposedly left Hogwarts forever.

Meet me tonight by the lake. There's something I've meant to give you for awhile now. SS

"Wonder what that could be," Draco quietly says next to me, glancing at the letter. "On second thought, it maybe is better that we don't know, considering their history."

"Hey, who do you suppose the woman is?" Ron asks, holding out a few pictures.

I glance towards the photos, looking at Draco a moment later. Clearly the man in the photos is Salazar Slytherin. The woman without a doubt is Syrene. I mean, she even looks like she does in the photo. My eyes then narrow as I notice Gryffindor in the background of one of the pictures. These must be of Hogwarts' galas.

"Anyone else notice how everything in here has something to do with this Syrene lady?" Ron asks, glancing at me. "Who was she?"

"A woman, Mr. Weasley," Declan says quietly. "That is all you need to know."

"Harry," Hermione softly says, handing me a torn-off sheet of parchment.

Staring at her quizzically, I grab it from her and glance down at it. My eyes narrow on the name that I know as being Mum's mum. I then hand it off to Draco, frowning. I mean, sure, we have already learned about this. But seeing proof like this, well, it's utterly shell shocking.

"Ophelia?" mutters Draco before he snorts. "I doubt Slytherin was the one to name her." When Declan clears his throat, Draco and I both glance to him.

"Wait," Nott suddenly says. "What's that shit Pansy's always going on about?" His brows then furrow. "You know, when she was trying to jump into Draco's trousers?"

"You do realize my little sister is here, right, Theo?" Draco asks quietly.

"So?"

"He wants you to shut it," Ron responds quietly.

"Why?"

"Because of little ears," Ron answers, glancing towards Angel.

"Hey, Weasley," growls Nott, stepping closer. "I don't say crap like that to you."

"What'd I say?" Ron instantly asks, taking a step back from the increasingly angry Slytherin.

"Theo, knock it off. Weasley didn't mean it like that." Draco then sighs.

"Mean it like what, huh, Draco?"

"Draco's friend's ears aren't that big, Ron," Angel softly says with a beaming smile.

"Try it, and I will hurt you, Theo," Draco quickly says, stepping in between the Slytherin and our little sister. He then glances towards me, which makes me gently pull Angel back from them.

"My, my, what a display of testosterone that was," Esmée says, laughing. "Well, gentlemen, if you are both finished, perhaps Theo can tell us about some girl and a trouser."

"Well, Pansy's always going on about how there's some love story crap or something about Slytherin and some chick."

"His wife, perhaps?" offers Esmée.

"No, no, it was this other chick, one he was doing on the side, I think."

"Nice friends you have, Draco," I say with a scoff.

"Like yours are any better, Potter," he grumbles, glaring at Theo.

"Okay, dear, so what's this about Slytherin and his mistress?" Esmée asks, smiling softly.

"Well, if you listen to Pansy's stupid story, then you believe that Slytherin got rings made for the chick so they'd be together forever."

"I sense that there is a 'but' coming."

"Well, something happened. I'm not sure what since I wasn't around back then, but the story goes that it was about the time Gryffindor kicked him out of the castle."

"What about the fact that Slytherin supposedly asked Gryffindor to make the rings, but Gryffindor said he'd tell Slytherin's wife about the affair instead?" Blaise offers. "I remember Parkinson saying something about that, too."

"Oh, yeah, there was that part," Theo concurs, nodding. He then snorts. "I admit that I just sort of tune out that little bitch." When Draco growls, Theo glances at him before muttering a soft apology.

"Were the rings made then?"

"According to Mum, he asked the Merpeople to make them," I answer quietly.

"Yeah, and they wanted something in return," Draco adds. "I remember her telling the story."

"You weren't there. Dad was telling you about—"

"When she told it to Celes as a bedtime story," he interrupts, glancing at me.

"You don't suppose we came here for nothing then. Do you?" Theo asks, glancing at us. "I mean, like we're searching here, when the sword's actually like at Hogwarts."

I look at Draco, closing my eyes. It makes sense that the sword is still at Hogwarts somewhere. After all, that night, he supposedly was going to give Syrene something, which according to Mum's recitation was a wedding ring. Slytherin just never had that chance since he was run out of the castle. Who's to say that sword wasn't left behind, too?

"Let's just go back," I glumly say, ready to face the music for my misdeeds. When I hang my head, I feel two hands on my shoulders. One I immediately recognize as Draco's. The other hand makes me glance up, only to make me sigh and hang my head again.

"Your heart is in the right place, young Master Harry," Declan quietly says. "In fact, I believe that your wish to protect your mother is a noble and valiant thought."

"Whatever," I mumble. Noble and valiant aren't going to do me a bit of good when I'm facing Dad. In fact, noble and valiant are likely only going to get me in more trouble with him. My noble and valiant after all have gotten me into numerous issues where Dad is concerned.

"Perhaps we should take the young ones back to the castle, Declan," Esmée softly says near me. "Preferably before our mutual mortal enemy makes her daily appearance in the sky and turns us to dust." She pauses for a second. "In fact, I'll see to it that these four arrive back safely. I am correct in my assumption that you wish to take Mistress Aurora's children back, yes?"

I don't hear Declan respond, but I know that he has when Angel silently threads her fingers with mine. I glance down at her, sighing when I see her soft smile. She likely doesn't even know how much trouble we're all in. After all, she's only been in trouble with Dad twice, once for running off by herself to the library and another time for accidentally summoning all of the animals in Hogwarts to her. In both cases, Dad was fairly lenient with her and forced her to stay by his side for a week, which she of course took as to be more of a reward than a punishment after she cried.

"Hold on very tight to your brother, young mistress," Declan quietly says with his hand still resting on my shoulder.

Knowing what is coming, I close my eyes. Within mere seconds later, I feel the familiar whoosh of air just before my feet connect with solid ground again. I slowly open my eyes, sighing as I recognize our room. I glance up at Declan, expecting him to still be there since I can still feel the hand on my shoulder, but he and Angel are already gone.

"We should try to get some rest," Draco quietly says.

"Like that's going to help," I reply, shaking my head. "Dad's going to murder us."

"Well, you want to wait in the sitting room then? Until they wake up, I mean?"

"Do you think that's going to help?"

"It can't make it any worse," he replies with a shrug.

I nod slowly, walking towards the closed door and opening it. I can hear Draco behind him, quietly following. As we walk past Angel's room, I glance in and notice that she's not in there. I then hear soft voices coming from the sitting room. I should have known. A moment later, I walk into the sitting room and glance towards Declan who is kneeling before Angel, talking in hushed tones with her.

"I understand," Angel softly replies, nodding slowly.

"Are you telling her to lie?" I ask.

"I am not," the vampire quietly answers, glancing at me. "I am merely telling her not to worry."

"She should be worried, though. We all should be," I respond, flopping down onto the couch beside her. "Dad's not going to forgive us for this. Hell, he's going to kill me. He told me to leave the sword alone, to stop looking for it. And what did I do? I went looking for it."

"You shall have nothing to worry about in the end, young Harry. None of you will. However, I would like you to do something for me. When Severus asks you the inevitable why, tell him your fears and thoughts." Declan sighs quietly, standing. "Tell him what you told young Draco in order to convince him. Now, do not think of it as an excuse. Because it likely will not help any punishment that you receive, but it perhaps might give him some understanding, some missing piece he overlooks."

"I wish I shared your optimism."

"It is not optimism, young Harry," he softly says. "Mokai," he calls out, summoning Dad's house elf. "Please, wake Severus and Mistress Aurora."

"It's four-thirty in the morning," I squawk quietly as not to wake Mum and Dad.

"I'm aware of the time, Harry. However, the quicker we get this over is the quicker you three are back in bed, resting."

"Oh, yeah, because Dad's just going to let us go back to bed," I snap. When Mokai pops out of the room, likely heading to Mum and Dad's room, I scowl. In the distance, I hear a door open followed by footsteps. I shake my head, crossing my arms moodily.

"Well, good morning, children," Mum says with a yawn, fastening her robe. She then glances at Dad. "If I didn't know any better, I'd swear our children are calling one of those interventions, Severus."

As if he already knows, Dad's eyes narrow on me suspiciously. He then crosses his arms, leaning back on his heel. He doesn't have any of Mum's warmth right now.

"What did you do?" Dad asks quietly.

"They did nothing, Severus," Declan replies, answering before I have the chance to. "It was in fact something I did." He says nothing when Dad's eyes dart to him or when Mum's face drops. "I spoke with young Harry in the library the other day about the merits of finding the Sword of Slytherin. I admit that I gave him the impression that I wished him to find it. So, tonight, I requested their presence in accompanying me to Darfor Castle to test a theory so to speak. We in fact just returned."

"We?" hisses Dad, glaring at the vampire. "And just who is 'we' exactly?"

"Harry, Draco, Angel, and me," Declan calmly answers. He stands his ground when Mum suddenly stalks towards him, smacking him across the face a moment later.

"You bastard," she snarls. Her eyes darken as she shakes in fury. When she speaks again, her voice is cold and deadly. "Have you forgotten that you serve me? Have you forgotten that if I so choose it, I can have you put to death immediately without anyone so much as saying a word against it?"

"I have not, my Lady," Declan responds, bowing his head. "It is your right to do so."

"Yes, oh, yes it is my right!" Mum snarls, glaring at Declan. "You are to keep my family safe. That is the only reason you were brought here! And what do you do? You decide that my husband's decision is not the right one in your mind so you take my children from the castle's protections to search for some ridiculous dreamt up item. What'd you tell them, Declan? That if they found it, we'd be ecstatic and forget all about them disobeying our orders? Is that what you promised them?"

"Mum!"

I instantly shrink back when she fixes me with a piercing glare. Between Dad and Mum, I'm not sure which has the worse glare anymore. Then again, I rarely ever see Mum lose her temper like this.

"I would think you're in enough trouble as it is, Harry, without attempting to make excuses for him," she says coldly, staring at me. Her dark eyes then dart back to Declan. "Get out of this castle. I don't want to see you near my children ever again. And if I do, I will stake you myself. Is that clear?"

"Yes," he answers, staring at the floor.

"Go to Windsor. Go to London. Personally, I don't care where you go. Just get out of my sight." Declan nods slowly, vanishing a moment later in his familiar way. Mum then glances back at us. "What were you thinking?" she demands.

Maybe it's because I've just witnessed Declan taking responsibility for something I've done. Or, maybe it's because my conscience is weighing so heavily on me right now. I don't know, but the answer just sort of bubbles out of me.

"I don't want to lose you." I instantly notice her take a step back as if I've struck her. "I already lost one mother. Please don't make me lose another." I watch her open her mouth, but she promptly closes it again. "I know it's stupid. I know I should just trust Dad with keeping you safe. But I can't." I then inhale as I feel my body start to tremble. "My dad, my real one, was supposed to keep my real mum safe too." My voice cracks as I try to speak again. "I-I lost them both to Voldemort. I'm sorry for being stupid, but I don't want to lose you and Dad to another psychopath. I love you both too much to lose either of you." Mum's arms wrap around me, making me close my eyes as I relish in the feel of her hug. There's nothing like a mother's hug.

The End.


This story archived at http://www.potionsandsnitches.org/fanfiction/viewstory.php?sid=2248