Destroying Grimwald by Ebbtide
Summary: After Sirius' death, Snape takes care of 12 Grimmauld Place.

Answer to the Destroying Grimwald Challenge by Jan_AQ
Categories: Parental Snape, Misc Main Characters: .Snape and Harry (required)
Snape Flavour: None
Genres: Angst, Hurt/Comfort
Media Type: None
Tags: Alternate Universe
Takes Place: None
Warnings: None
Prompts: Destroying Grimwald
Challenges: Destroying Grimwald
Series: None
Chapters: 1 Completed: Yes Word count: 473 Read: 2753 Published: 29 Aug 2010 Updated: 30 Aug 2010
Story Notes:
Betaed by Dream Painter
Destroying Grimwald by Ebbtide

“I killed Sirius Black. Hahah!” Bellatrix Lestrange laughed into the open air.

= = =

Harry Snape leaned against his father for support, the older man had his arms wrapped around the teenager in a protective embrace.

“Dad?” Harry let the word fill the silence.

“Yes, son?” Snape asked.

“Is Sirius really gone? Please, tell me I dreamed it... that it wasn't real... that it was like the vision. Please,” the boy sobbed imploringly into the potion master's black robes.

Severus hugged his son closer, kissing the top of his head. “I'm so sorry, Harry. Your godfather is dead.”

“N-no!” Harry yelled the word, his voice breaking from the strain. He proceeded to cry until there were no more tears, until there was only dry emptiness. Severus held him the whole time, speaking soothing words and rubbing small circles on his back.

“Dad?” Harry asked after he had finished grieving for the moment.

Snape lifted the boy's chin so that he could look into the green eyes. “Yes?”

“What will happen to his stuff?”

Severus let his hand drop and he smiled reassuringly. “Grimmauld Place and all of your godfather's belongings will become yours, as you already know.”

“But... what will happen to it?” Harry asked again, as if by repeating he could make it more clear to his father. “I-I don't want it,” he admitted quietly.

Severus put a hand on his son's shoulders. “What do you think should be done with it?”

A spear of anger and frustration flew out of Harry and he pushed away from his father. “Destroy it.”

“I beg your pardon,” Severus exclaimed in surprise. “Harry, think about what you are saying.”

“Sirius always hated that place!” Harry cried. “I don't want it... I don't want anyone else to have it either.”

Severus nodded slowly, thinking over what his son was saying. “I understand.”

- - -

Thirty minutes later, they were standing in front of number twelve Grimmauld Place. Harry was being steadied by his father, weak after Apparating from their home.

“Do you want to or should I?” Severus asked, motioning towards the building.

Harry felt weak and empty. “You. Please.”

Severus nodded and lifted his wand. He spoke in Latin for over fifteen minutes, moving his wand in complicated arcs and swirls. Harry watched, transfixed. Then, suddenly, the apartment building vanished like it had never existed. For a moment, Harry thought it was just a trick of the light. He blinked his eyes, readjusted his glasses, and then it sank in. His dad had destroyed the building.

A relief flooded through him that was almost strong enough to knock him off his feet. Harry held on tightly to his father's arm.

“Thank you, dad,” he whispered earnestly. “I think Sirius would've liked that.”

Severus enveloped his son in a tight hug. “I think you're right, Harry.”

The End.


This story archived at http://www.potionsandsnitches.org/fanfiction/viewstory.php?sid=2260