Poison by Ebbtide
Summary: Harry's owl is poisoned, and the first person he runs into while looking for help is Snape. Response to the Hedwig Poisoned challenge by Jan_AQ
Categories: Teacher Snape > Professor Snape, Healer Snape Main Characters: .Snape and Harry (required)
Snape Flavour: None
Genres: Angst
Media Type: None
Tags: None
Takes Place: 4th summer
Warnings: None
Prompts: Hedwig Poisoned
Challenges: Hedwig Poisoned
Series: None
Chapters: 1 Completed: Yes Word count: 613 Read: 3512 Published: 30 Aug 2010 Updated: 30 Aug 2010
Story Notes:
Betaed by DreamPainter

1. Poison by Ebbtide

Poison by Ebbtide

Hedwig fluttered her wings weakly. The owl struggled to stand on wobbly legs. She squawked for 'help'.

"Hedwig? Where are you?" Harry Potter called from the other end of the owlery.

The teenager looked around worriedly when he could not spot his bird. Using the last of her strength, the owl put all her vocal power behind one last desperate squawk. Harry looked towards the sound of distress and froze. His bird was on the floor, obviously in pain.

Running to her side, Harry knelt down and picked the owl up. He held her against his chest, her feathers catching on the bright red jumper that Mrs. Weasley had knitted him for Christmas. She was barely moving now and he knew that he had to do something fast.

Standing to his  feet the boy ran for  the doorway, his trainers sliding on the excrement covered floor before regaining traction. He had to find help.

- - -

Severus Snape stalked towards the owlery two large envelopes clutched in one hand. He glared at any student that dared make eye contact - it was his personal record, five students that refused to look up when he passed by. A small smile of accomplishment tried desperately to get out, but he resisted the urge to gloat. It would tarnish his image.

He turned a corner and five feet of student ran into him, knocking them both off balance. He caught himself on the wall and the boy stumbled back. It was Harry Potter. He looked up at Severus and the Professor sighed, his record was shattered. Why was Harry Potter always the one to ruin everything?

"Watch where you are going Pott-." Before he could even finish his scathing command, the teacher was interrupted by the distraught boy.

"Professor! I need help, there's something wrong with my bird and I don't know what to do!"

Severus was faced with a face full of owl when Harry lifted Hedwig up suddenly as if to prove what he was saying. The creature was wheezing painfully and Snape knew exactly what was wrong.

"Give it here, Potter," he said sternly, holding out both hands. "Take these." He motioned towards the two letters with his chin.

After exchanging cargo, Severus cradled the bird in one arm and took out his wand with the other hand. He pointed it at the bird which lay against his chest, he muttered a quick spell and a sparkling blue light shot out of the wand tip and circled around the bird in healing ribbons. Several beats later the bird ruffled her feathers and pushed away from the Professors chest. He let her go and she jumped to Harry's shoulder.

Hedwig began to preen herself as if nothing had happened. Harry watched, flabbergasted. His green eyes widened in awe and he soundlessly held the letters out for the teacher to take.

"Close your mouth, Potter. You look like a fish out of water," Severus sneered. He paused, suddenly worried. "Breath, boy!" he ordered.

Harry sucked in a lungful of air, suddenly aware that he needed to breathe. He gulped in another breath and then launched himself at the Professor in an unplanned hug. Unseated, Hedwig flew back up the hall towards the owlery.

"Thank you, thank you, thank you!" Harry said.

Severus stood motionless. He thought that if he made slow movements, he wouldn't startle the boy so he slowly, methodically, removed the boy's hands from his robes and took a step back.

"Well, if that is all, I am busy," the teacher said, straightening his robes.

Harry was beginning to blush. "Sorry, sir," he murmured, embarrassed. "Going -" The boy took off running. Severus watched for a long moment and then shook his head. Children!

 

The End.


This story archived at http://www.potionsandsnitches.org/fanfiction/viewstory.php?sid=2270