Flashback by Dream Painter, DaughterOfAres
Summary: Locking Harry in the broom closet was the catalyst that unlocked a whole flurry of issues that young Harry and Severus must now begin to work through... together.

In answer to the Locked in a cupboard Challenge by Jan_AQ.
Categories: Teacher Snape > Professor Snape, Parental Snape > Guardian Snape Main Characters: .Snape and Harry (required)
Snape Flavour: None
Genres: Angst, General
Media Type: None
Tags: Alternate Universe
Takes Place: 2nd Year
Warnings: Abusive Dursleys, Neglect
Prompts: Locked in a cupboard
Challenges: Locked in a cupboard
Series: None
Chapters: 7 Completed: Yes Word count: 10046 Read: 84927 Published: 30 Aug 2010 Updated: 13 Jan 2011
Chapter 4 by Dream Painter
Author's Notes:
This wonderful chapter written entirely by Daught. ^^

The Gryffindor common room was quiet and resting peacefully. The fire had gone out and only one small torch lit the maroon and gold walls. Normally alive with children of varying ages, the room was enjoying its respite. There was no groaning over teachers or homework, no melodramatic lamenting about puppy loves, no laughter or pranks coming from identical redheads. Nothing was being bounced off the picture-filled walls – the pictures themselves were quiet – and no practice snitches were zooming around, upsetting various familiars. Even the house elves were asleep after cleaning up after the children.

If a person listened carefully, they could almost hear the walls sigh in relief the way a parent would after putting a beloved but overexcited child to bed.

Until a loud scream came echoing through from the boys' dormitory.

Minerva McGonagall was unable to hear the scream, however, as she was resting peacefully herself in her private rooms down the hall from the Gryffindor Dorms. She was exhausted after a long day of teaching and practically running the school on her own. Albus Dumbledore may have been the Headmaster, but most of the school's administrative duties fell on her shoulders since Dumbledore, it seemed, was always busy with Ministry related duties. She sincerely hoped that a raise was in the budget this year.

The deputy headmistress' sleep was cut short however by a frantic banging on her door. Sitting up in bed, she immediately reached for her glasses on the bedside table.

"What in the world…" she said to herself as her feet slid out of bed and her toes pushed against the thick green rug lying smartly on her bedroom floor.

Hurriedly, she grabbed her emerald robe from the back of the chair, paying no heed as she knocked the book that was resting on top of it to the floor. Making her way to the door, she shoved first her right arm, then her left, through the sleeves of the robe before tying the belt around her waist. She was just giving the belt one finial tug as she opened the door.

Seamus Finnigan nearly fell through the doorway and into her arms. How the boy was able to steady himself with the door frame left Minerva wishing she were a young girl again.

"Mr. Finnigan, what is the meaning of this?" Minerva demanded, crossing her arms and glaring at the panting boy, who was clutching his side while trying to catch his breath.

"Harry… it's Harry, Ma'am!" Seamus blurted out between gasps.

Minerva felt her pulse quicken and placing a hand on Seamus' shoulder to steady him she spoke urgently, "What's wrong with Mr. Potter?"

"Don't know." Seamus was getting his breathing under control, but still had a panicked look on his face. "He screamed – I think he had a nightmare – but then he..."

The teen paused for a moment trying to find the words to describe what happened next. "He just sorta started freaking out. Ron tried to wake him up, but Harry just curled up and started mumbling. You've got to hurry, Professor!"

"Alright, Mr. Finnigan," Minerva said in a firm but gentle tone. "Let's go."

Minerva led the way to the Gryffindor dorms; with sure but urgent steps her bare feet slapped almost painfully against the stone floor. A part of her brain said she should summon Severus to deal with this problem. He was Mr. Potter's chosen protector, the man who had first recognized the signs of abuse in the young wizard and succeeded in getting the boy to open up about his relatives' treatment. It was no secret amongst the staff that Snape cared for the boy and even intended on taking him in for the summer, if not permanently.

Before Minerva could come to a decision in regards to her colleague, her feet found the plush carpet in the Gryffindor Common Room and she hurriedly walked up the stairs to the second-year boys' dormitory. The room was dimly lit, so she couldn't immediately see Harry or the other boys. Apparently, none of them had bothered to light the torches in their rush to help their roommate.

"Lumos." she said in a whisper, causing the lighting to increase only slightly.

"Professor!" Dean Thomas called from a corner near Harry's bed.

"Shh!" was the immediate response that Minerva heard coming from where Dean was standing.

"Sorry," the boy whispered in return.

Minerva cautiously walked to where the boy was standing, an uneasy feeling in her gut. Once there she saw Harry pressed against the corner of the wall and his bed. His knees were pulled tight against his chest and he was rocking very gently. Ron and Neville were on either side of him, sitting close, but not touching the distraught boy.

"Mr. Potter," began Minerva in a firm voice that she hoped would bring the boy out of whatever trance he had worked himself into. Not getting a response, she knelt down in front of him. "Mr. Potter, what is the meaning of this?"

For a moment Minerva thought she was going to have to repeat herself; however, just as she opened her mouth to speak, Harry's quiet, shaky prepubescent voice reached her ears.

"Snape… Pr'fessor Snape."

"He's been asking for him ever since he woke up, Professor," Ron felt the need to inform her. "Should we go get him?"

Minerva thought for a moment. She was fairly certain that Severus was not any more capable than she was at comforting a child after a terrifying dream. "Not just yet, Mr. Weasley. There's no need to wake up the entire castle."

For a moment she thought that Ron would argue with her. The youngest Weasley boy's eyebrows furrowed and he glanced nervously between his friend and back. He was clearly debating if it was worth leaving his friend and disobeying his Head of House to fetch the Potions Master.

"Mr. Potter," Minerva turned back to the boy on the floor.

"Please..?" Harry seemed to make a great effort to say this clearly. "Please, can you get Professor Snape for me, please?"

"Mr. Potter," Minerva began again, reaching out a hand to brush the hair back from his face. This time, Minerva was able to hear the scream coming form the boy as he flinched away violently from her touch, hitting his head against the wall.

"No! I'm sorry!…" the boy started rambling in a terrified voice as his eyes replayed a scene that had taken place long ago. "Please, Aunt Petunia…"

Minerva's eyes widened and she snatched her hand back, horrified.

"Loppy!" she called loudly and firmly.

Almost immediately, an unusually large house elf appeared. "Yes, Deputy Headmis…"

Minerva didn't give the elf time to finish her title. "Loppy, fetch Professor Snape, immediately. Tell him he's needed in the Gryffindor Boys' dorms at once."

The house elf hesitated, his unusually large eyes tearing up.

"Now Loppy!" Minerva practically shouted at the poor creature, not concerned with the fact that Snape disliked having strange house elves in his quarters.

With a surprised squeak, the elf was gone and Minerva hoped that Severus would hurry.

0o0o0

Minerva had never felt so helpless. She had made one other attempt to touch Harry, simply to place her hand on his. His reaction was a whimper and more mumbling that she was glad she couldn't decipher. After that, she had settled for simply calling his name upon occasion and trying to calm the other four boys in the dorm. Dean and Seamus had returned to their beds but sat watching Harry with both fear and curiosity. Ron and Neville stubbornly refused to move from Harry's side. Minerva had an uncomfortable and heart-wrenching feeling that the two boys believed they were protecting Harry from her.

She let out a sigh of relief when moments (that seemed more like hours) after she had sent Loppy to fetch Severus, she heard the door of the boys' dormitory open. Immediately, she stood to make room for her colleague.

The woman watched as Severus slowly but confidently approached the scared child and knelt before him. Ron was the first to stand up and move away from his friend, obviously trusting the Potions Master to take care of hi,. Neville soon followed Ron's lead with a bit more hesitation. The Weasley boy, it was obvious to Minerva, was a born leader, though she doubted the boy realized his true potential. He obviously believed Severus was more capable of taking care of Harry than she was. Based on the helplessness she was currently experiencing, she was likely to agree with him.

"Harry," she heard Severus say softly. She was surprised when the boy didn't flinch away from the man's fingers as they brushed lightly against his cheek.

Harry's eyes seemed to focus on Severus face as he responded softly, his voice scratchy. "I asked for you."

"And I came," was Severus' simple reply.

Minerva watched Severus hesitantly stretch out an arm, obviously inviting the child closer to him. The Potions Master never failed to surprise her. He could terrify an entire class of thirteen-year-olds into behaving, and face the horrors of Azkaban and Voldemort, but he was so uncertain when it came to offering comfort to another or accepting it from someone else.

Not that Harry seemed to notice. Without hesitation, he accepted the invitation and moved towards Severus, quickly wrapping his arms around the man's neck and burying his face in his shoulder. Severus closed his arms around the small boy and stood up, seemingly more sure of himself now that Harry was in his arms.

Severus made eye contact with her when he turned in her direction. Minerva didn't know if he was seeking permission or looking for some reassurance himself. Either way, she nodded to him and he left the second-year boys' room.

"Alright, gentlemen," Minerva said, once again in control of the situation. "Back to bed."

Minerva quickly coerced the boys back into bed, fully intending on returning to her own. She walked down the stairs, taking controlled breaths and trying to erase the image of a terrified child from her mind. She was not expecting to see Severus still holding Harry in the Gryffindor Common room.

"I asked for you," Harry was saying again. "I asked for you just like you said I could."

"Very good, Harry," Severus responded, patiently rubbing the child's back reassuringly. "I will always come if you ask for me."

It was silent for a moment and Minerva was about to make her presence known when Harry spoke again.

"I had a bad dream."

"Oh?" Snape said curiously.

"Will you…" Harry hesitated and Minerva was sure he was going to ask Snape to stay with him for the night. However, those where not the words that came from Harry's mouth a moment later. "I don't want to go back to sleep."

Minerva decided to help both young men. Clearing her throat, she stepped fully into the common room. Severus turned in her direction and she saw Harry tense in his arms until the Potions Master patted his back lightly.

"Severus? I'm surprised to find you down here. I figured you'd have the boy tucked into the spare bed in your quarters by now," Minerva said, crossing her arms in front of her chest. "Is there something you need from me?"

Severus gazed at her appraisingly for a brief moment before deciding take advantage of the situation just as Minerva knew he would. "Yes, I just wanted to inform you of Mr. Potter's whereabouts."

"Considered me informed, Severus," Minerva replied dryly. She almost smiled as the right corner of Snape's mouth lifted just slightly.

"Good night, Madame." Snape inclined his head slightly before turning and exiting the Common Room, presumably on the way to his quarters in the dungeons.

"Good night, my boys," Minerva murmured to the empty room. "Take care of each other."

The End.


This story archived at http://www.potionsandsnitches.org/fanfiction/viewstory.php?sid=2283