Letters from Hogwarts by Ebbtide
Summary: Lily corresponds with Harry during the boy's first year at Hogwarts. Snape seeks redemption. Answer to the Dear Mum, Professor Snape Is challenge by Jan_AQ
Categories: Teacher Snape > Trusted Mentor Snape, Teacher Snape > Professor Snape Main Characters: .Snape and Harry (required), Hermione, Lily, Other, Ron
Snape Flavour: None
Genres: Angst, Drama, Family, General
Media Type: None
Tags: None
Takes Place: 1st Year
Warnings: None
Prompts: Dear Mum, Professor Snape is...
Challenges: Dear Mum, Professor Snape is...
Series: None
Chapters: 1 Completed: Yes Word count: 3874 Read: 2907 Published: 31 Aug 2010 Updated: 31 Aug 2010
Story Notes:
Betaed by Dream Painter (The awesome, The wonderful, The PAINTER!!)...ahem.
Letters from Hogwarts by Ebbtide

Dear Mum,

I took good notes in class, just like you told me to. There are nice people here and not nice people. One of them is called Draco and he makes fun of Ron... Ron is my friend now. We met on the train to Hogwarts.

Potions class is starting late this year, but the Headmaster made a speech and then we all had a lot of good food, so that is alright.

Thank you for the socks.

-Harry P.

- - -

Lily Potter caressed the stained page sitting on the table top in front of where she sat. Her little boy was growing up. Pride and fear warred for the dominant place in her heart as she accioed a quill, bottle of ink and parchment from her desk in the study.

James Potter, Lily's husband, had been dead for almost ten years. Killed by the Dark Lord on Harry's first birthday. An urge to go into her closet and find one of his old shirts almost distracted her from the letter she needed to write. Closing her eyes, the woman breathed in deeply through her nose and pretended that she could smell James, smell the honeysuckle fragrance that always made her smile.

A single tear dampened her lashes, but she refused to fall. Sniffing away the tightness in her throat, Lily set about replying to her son's letter.

- - -

Dear Son,

I'm glad to hear that you are making friends. I have included a new set of Potions For Beginners: Ingredients so that you are ready when Potions class starts next week. Have fun and stay safe! Remember to clean your robes with the spell I showed you.

I love you and miss you!

-Your mother, Lily

- - -

Harry looked down at the collection of odd and disgusting ingredients that were spread out on his dorm bed. Ron was sitting at the head of the bed, cross-legged and eating a chocolate frog he had bartered off one of the other Gryffindors. Hermione Granger, a girl they had met on the train and started hanging out with, faced Harry with a frown.

"No one told me we were supposed to supply our own Ingredients," the blond-haired girl complained haughtily.

"That's ‘cause you don't have to," Ron said around a mouthful of chocolate. "It's optional."

"Oh. Well, I guess that is alright then," Hermione said, relaxing. "Oh! A bit of valerian root, however did you manage? They are particularly rare."

Harry and Ron exchanged a worried glance. Hermione was using that voice; the one that sounded like a Professor and meant she was going to start talking about something she had read. Harry motioned towards the door with his head and raised an eyebrow. Ron pushed himself off the bed with a nod.

"Lets go find some brooms."

"Flying without proper supervision," the girl remarked with her nose in the air, "is against the Rules."

"That's kinda the point," Harry said.

"Yeah," Ron agreed. He grinned cheekily. "Otherwise it wouldn't be any fun. You coming?"

The boys didn't wait long enough for Hermione to respond before they skipped out the door and down the stairway. The girl stood, undecided, for a long moment before growling in frustration and running after them.

"Wait for me!"

- - -

Dear Mum,

Ron and I met a girl and her name is Hermione Granger. At first I thought she was just bossy and mean, but I don't think that anymore. She helped me fix my glasses when they broke yesterday. She is really smart!

Potions class was hard. Professor Snape asked me a lot of things and I didn't know the answer. I'm sorry if they expel me. I tried my best. Here is my notes for the class so you can see I did what you said... but I wasn't good enough.

I don't want to leave yet, mum, because I have a lot of nice friends here. Ron and Hermione would miss me. Maybe you could talk to the Professor and show him my notes? Then he would not be mad at me anymore.

I love you, mum.

-Harry P.

- - -

Lily Potter bit her lip hard. She could make out smears in the ink where her son had cried, little dots of anguish. It made her livid with anger. What did that blasted Severus Snape think he was doing?! The woman threw down the letter and paced across the kitchen tile.

Three strides right, turn, three strides left, turn.

Her eye was starting to twitch.

Lily huffed her way through an entire speech to the empty room, filled with "stupid teacher's" and "‘idiotic slytherin's" until all her anger was spent. Finally, her footsteps dragged and then grew silent. She stood in the middle of the room and waited. An idea was blossoming and after thinking it through, the woman smiled and returned to her seat at the kitchen table.

Pulling two empty pieces of parchment over to her, she began to write in flourished script. Severus Snape would learn not to mess with her son. Harry James Potter was off-limits.

- - -

Candle light flickered dangerously low in the drafty dungeon room. Severus Snape stood at a magical window - it showed the view outside several stories above - and watched the moon reflect off the Black lake. The man was remembering a night ten years before.

James Potter had been reported dead and Snape, then a fledgling spy for the Order, had rushed to Godric's Hallow. Lily had fallen to pieces. A baby Harry held tightly in her arms. Voices and faces and accusations. He had handled it badly.

Severus' eyelids fluttered and he turned his head so that his gaze was fixed on the empty, cold fireplace. Lily had blamed him for the death of her husband. He had been Voldemort's top agent and confidant. What Lily could never bring herself to understand was that even in such a trusted position, the potions master had not been let in on all the Dark Lord's secrets. Plausible deniability.

- - -

Severus Snape,

Despite the history that we share, you have no right to treat my son in so hideous and biased a manner. If you have a problem, come to me - his mother. If you insist on treating Harry like a second-rate student then I will be forced to go to Hogwarts and talk with the Headmaster about your syllabus, teaching methods, and general lack of hygiene!

-Mrs. Lily James Potter

- - -

The heated letter lay open on his nightstand. Severus rubbed his chin, his dark eyes flickering about the room with disinterest. His thoughts were focused elsewhere.

He had always loved Lily Evans, the girl with stunning beauty and a sharp temper, but he had never made any move to tell her how he felt. At first, it had been because they were best friends and he was loath to jeopardize that relationship. Then, the roller coaster ride of puberty had turned his introverted character into a self-destructive streak. Then, there had been James - the snowflake of Gryffindor tower - pure and white and shiny. Severus felt nauseous at the mere thought of his rival.

Dark, wild hair sticking up in all directions - Lily had liked running her hands through it, much to Snape's chagrin - blue eyes promising mischief, and morale-lowering pranks. Lily always had tried to overlook that side of her husband. The irresponsible, mean side that bullied those weaker than himself.

Noble Potter - what a joke!

She had taken his name and in so doing had severed all romantic ties that might have been held by Snape's grasping hands. He had tried to remain friends, but after James' death there had been no going back to how things were. Lily was a grieving woman and then a bitter mother. Severus did not blame her at all. No, he blamed James and their Gryffindor friends that had encouraged the union.

It would be a long night and the letter was still staring at him.

- - -

Dear Mum,

Potions is getting a little better. Today Professor Snape yelled at a boy named Neville Longbottom instead of me because his potion exploded! It was so awesome! Blue goop got everywhere though and all the Gryffindors had to stay after and help clean it up because Neville is a Gryffindor. Professor Snape said it was a ‘Housing Problem'. What does that mean?

Hermione found a flower in the courtyard today and she used a Charm on it and she turned it into a butterfly! It was just like that rock you turned into a toad last summer. I want to learn how to do that, but it looks really hard. Maybe I'll just stick to flying. I'm good at that. They've put me on the Quidditch team.

I have to go, Mum, they are having a House Meeting and I don't want to be late. I love you.

-Harry P.

- - -

"'Housing problem'! What a git!" Lily Potter shouted at the ceiling.

Breathing fast, anger making her fingers grip the paper too tightly, the woman gritted her teeth together and tried to calm down. She knew that Severus was trying to get a reaction and she would not give him the satisfaction of receiving a Howler that yelled nothing but ‘Wanker' and ‘Slimy Git'.

"Think of the children, Lily," the woman admonished herself. "None of that, now."

She took up her pen and began to reply to her son's letter. Severus Snape would have to wait his turn. She smiled as she re-read the last few sentences of Harry's note. Pride swelled within her and she smoothed out the crumpled sheet, removing the indents her nails had made.

- - -

Dear Son,

I have included a new Quidditch uniform for you. I am so proud! You are going to be a great Seeker, just like your father. Make sure they let you play Seeker. I don't want you taking any more bludgers than necessary. Have fun out on the pitch.

There is no ‘Housing Problem'. Your Professor was obviously under a lot of stress and said some things that he did not mean. Don't worry about it.

I love you! Remember that next week is Parent's Weekend. I'll see you then, sweetheart.

-Your mother, Lily

- - -

Harry stood in the entrance hall, jumping up every few seconds so that he could see over the sea of children milling around between him and the door. He was waiting for his mother to arrive. Parents were arriving in small groups, greeting their children and then leaving through the Great Hall doors. Lunch would start any minute.

Harry stood on his toes, stretching his neck so that he could make out more of the large front doorway. It was sunny outside, so he had to squint to make out faces.

"Mom, Dad!" Hermione's voice yelled from the far side of the hall.

Harry turned in time to see his young friend throw herself in the arms of a couple. The black-haired boy was surprised at how normal they looked. He always thought Hermione's parents would look more like teachers. Someone came to stand beside him.

"Harry?"

Lily's voice startled him and he whipped his head around so fast his glasses fell off one ear.

"Mum!" Harry launched himself forward and hugged his mother tight.

"I missed you, sweetheart." Lily said, kissing the top of his head and hugging him back. "How are you doing?"

"‘M F'ne," his reply was muffled by her robe. The boy pulled away and looked up, straightening his glasses with one hand. "I won the Quidditch match against Slytherin yesterday!" he informed her proudly.

Lily smiled and drew him close for another celebratory hug. "That is wonderful, darling. I'm so happy for you."

Harry took her hand in his. "Lunch is going to start without us. Come on."

Together, mother and son walked into the dining area and took seats at the end of the Gryffindor table. A moment later, Albus Dumbledore stood and began a short speech.

Then, they began to eat.

"You will need to introduce me to your two friends, Ron and Hermione," Lily said, picking up a spoonful of mashed potatoes.

Harry used his empty fork to point towards the middle of the long table. "That's Ron with his family - there are a lot of Weasleys - and..." He looked around trying to find Hermione and finally spotted her next to Neville. "... that is Hermione. She's smart."

His mother nodded. "So I've heard. Smartest witch of her age if the school newsletters are to be believed," she said.

They ate in silence for a few minutes, taking in the sounds of reunion going on all around them. It made Lily's heart ache that James would never be able to see this. Their son at Hogwarts. Harry was turning into quite the little charmer and she would have to keep an eye out for lady troubles, Lily decided, even as she internally chastised herself for jumping the gun. She looked down at Harry and then laughed out loud. She still had a few years to go before worrying about girlfriends.

"What's so funny?" Harry asked, smiling.

His mother ruffled his wild hair. "Nothing, sweetheart. Just thinking."

"Lily Potter," a dark voice interrupted from behind.

Harry stiffened, he recognized Snape's voice even before he glanced over his shoulder. "That's the potions Professor, mum," he hissed in a low whisper.

Lily squared her jaw and turned on the bench, looking up at the towering Professor. "Mister Snape," she greeted him coldly. "To what do I owe this... pleasure?"

Severus folded his hands together behind his back, trying not to fidget. "I saw you arrive and thought I would welcome you back to Hogwarts. As your son's teacher it is my right."

"Duty," Lily corrected with pursed lips.

"Indeed... and it is my duty," Severus acknowledged. "I had hoped we could talk later. There are some things that I must say. Some... apologies that must be made." Saying those words felt like pulling jagged glass from an open wound. "Please."

Lily's eyebrows raised in surprise. "I'll think about it, Professor."

"That is all I ask." With a nod to Harry, the man turned and walked away.

Lily let her gaze fall to the floor as she mulled over the past few moments. Harry watched his teacher leave, feeling completely confused. The eleven-year-old had no idea what had just happened between his mother and the mean Potions professor. After a few seconds of trying to figure it out, the boy gave up with a shrug and bit into his chicken.

- - -

Severus took his seat at the head table and tried to will the blush from creeping up his neck. He wanted to know if Lily would come after the meal and let him say the things that had to be said. He had tried to get her attention through her son. After all, every teacher in Hogwarts had noticed the boy had a penchant for writing his mother several times a day... every day. Merlin, the amount of post must be enough to flood a small island.

The Potions professor reached into his pocket and let his fingers glide over the folded parchment he had stashed there that morning. Lily had sent him another note and this time threatened to contact Albus if the alleged "House Bashing" did not cease immediately. His lips fell into a thin smile.

He had gotten a reaction. More than he had hoped for after years off being ignored by the woman. Hopefully, once they talked, Severus would be able to convince her of his innocence concerning the murder of her late husband.

He would utilize a repellent charm just in case she was not in a forgiving mood. The charm hung in a pendant around his neck and would repel harmful spells. The Professor hoped it would not come to that. When he had approached the Gryffindor table, the sight of Lily Potter looking as young and beautiful as ever had left him momentarily speechless. She looked like Lily Evans.

- - -

Harry smiled contentedly and sighed. "That was the best day, ever," he told his mom. "They should have Parent's Weekend every week."

Lily returned his smile. "That sounds nice, but don't worry, Christmas break is coming up."

"Can Ron come over to our house for Christmas?" Harry asked, his eyes lighting up. "Please?"

"I'll have to ask his parents," his mother replied, "but it is fine with me."

"Yes!" Harry pumped his fist in the air. "I want to go tell him."

Lily chuckled and nodded. "Go find your friend, sweetheart." She licked her thumb and tried to straighten his hair. "I'm going to go talk with your Potions professor, but I'll be back soon, alright?"

Harry nodded. "Okay, Mum." He started to walk away towards where the Weasley clan was gathered on the far side of the Common Room, but paused half-way and returned. "Be careful," he warned her in a child's whisper. "Seamus Finnigan says that Professor Snape chops people up and puts them into little jars... so... if you aren't back soon, I'll come save you."

Lily tried not to laugh at her son's geniune concern. "That is very brave of you, Harry, but I will be alright. It's just a quick talk."

Harry nodded, his green eyes still lit with worry. "Alright... I guess."

Lily watched as her son joined his friend, a pang of grief dampening her eyes. Harry was so much like his father. Brave and self-sacrificing. With one last loving look at her son, Lily turned and left the Gryffindor tower in search of Severus Snape.

- - -

The Potions professor was seated in the courtyard. Only a few other people were out there with him and they were grouped in a far corner. He was essentially alone under the graying sky. The smell of dirt in the air promised rain later that night.

"I'm here like you wanted, so talk," Lily said as she approached, hands crossed over her chest defensively.

Severus' mouth twitched. "Straight to the point as ever."

Lily took a seat on the far side of the bench and waited in stony silence. The professor studied her face for a moment, drinking in every new wrinkle and stress line. Even ten years older, she was so beautiful.

"I am sorry for your loss."

Ten years late, the words still held so much meaning. Lily blinked, biting her lip to keep her emotions in check.

"James Potter... he was good to you." The closest to a compliment Severus Snape would ever admit. "And he did not deserve to die."

Lily swallowed hard against the growing lump in her throat.

"What I want you to know - what I need you to know," Severus amended quickly, "is that I knew nothing of Voldemort's plans to invade Godric's Hallow that night."

Lily flinched at the mention of her home. Severus reached out a hand and gently laid it on her shoulder. The man knew how hard it must be for her to hear these words. All the old anger and regret that it must have stirred, but he knew that this was his only chance. One shot at redemption.

"Please, Lily, I need you to know that I would have given anything to protect your family. All of you."

There. He had said it. Not eloquently and there was more he could have added, but it was enough. A weight lifted then and Severus felt his soul grow lighter... and maybe... brighter somehow. He waited for Lily Evans to respond.

"I see," the woman said shortly.

Snape's brow furrowed. Was that it? He had just bared his heart and let down his guard. He had made himself vulnerable for her and she was staring stonily back at him. Lily stood to her feet, arms falling straight to her sides.

"You want me to forgive you or... or... admit to you that there's no need for forgiveness?" she asked, spitting the words out angrily.

Severus leaned back. He had expected so many things, ran through all the scenarios in his head, but this had not been one of them. Not even in his darkest imagination. She was starting to cry, her body shaking with emotion.

Severus stood then, too, and tried to touch her shoulder but she jerked it out of reach. "I'm sorry, Lily. For your pain and for whatever part I may have played in causing it," his voice caught in his throat. "I need to know that we can still be friends."

"Friends!" Lily bit out the word. "Friends don't join the Dark Lord's army... they don't run away when you need them most and they don't wait ten years to say ‘sorry for your loss'!" She sprinted away from him as fast as she could, her feet slapping on the flagstones. "I hate you, Severus Snape."

The words were muffled by distance and tears, but they tore through Snape's heart like a knife through butter. He collapsed back onto the bench, his knees no longer strong enough to hold his weight. How had things gone so horribly wrong?

- - -

Dear Mum,

I miss you even more than before. Thanks, for talking with Mrs. Weasley, because I think Ron is going to love your Christmas Turkey Surprise. I told him about it so I guess it's not a surprise anymore.

Professor Snape has been nice ever since you talked to him. Do you think you could talk to Professor Binns, because his class is really, really boring. He's a ghost. Could you, please?

I love you, mum.

Oh! I almost forgot to tell you! Professor Snape helped me arrange my potions ingredients into groups so that it will be easier to use them. He was really nice and I hope I get detention more often.

-Harry P.

- - -

Lily's eyebrows shot up. "Detention?!"

- - -

Mrs. Lily Potter,

I regret to inform you that your son, Harry Potter, has been found sneaking about the castle after curfew. I have assigned him three weeks detention.

- Professor S.S.

- - -

Lily closed her eyes and counted to thirteen. Slowly. When she opened her eyes again, the scrawling print that belonged only to Severus Snape stared back at her accusingly. Guilt had kept her nights sleepless ever since Parent's Weekend.

She kept replaying the scene in the courtyard. Over and over again until she knew it by heart. The woman had re-discovered her childhood friend in the potion master's halting, sometimes painful words.

He was still in there, holding the white flag of surrender and begging parley. She had been so angry at first, but now she was eager to rekindle the friendship that had meant so much to them both.

With a bittersweet sigh and hope-filled eyes, Lily Potter re-read the official notice and then began to write a response.

The beginning of a truce. The ending of a ten year war.

- - -

Sev,

I am sorry for what I said before and for how I reacted. You're right. There was nothing you could have done and I was blind for not acknowledging that sooner. The pain I have put you through these last ten years is inexcusable. Please accept my apology.

I hope that we can start afresh. I would like to invite you to celebrate Christmas with my son and I here at Godric's Hallow.

-Sincerely Yours, Lily

The End.


This story archived at http://www.potionsandsnitches.org/fanfiction/viewstory.php?sid=2284