Balancing The Scales by Ebbtide
Summary: Harry begins to have strange dreams, Snape helps. Respose to the He Was About To Be Kissed challenge by Dream Painter
Categories: Teacher Snape > Professor Snape Main Characters: .Snape and Harry (required)
Snape Flavour: None
Genres: Angst
Media Type: None
Tags: None
Takes Place: 5th summer
Warnings: None
Prompts: He was about to be kissed...
Challenges: He was about to be kissed...
Series: None
Chapters: 1 Completed: Yes Word count: 1354 Read: 2024 Published: 31 Aug 2010 Updated: 31 Aug 2010
Story Notes:
Betaed by Dream Painter
Balancing The Scales by Ebbtide
Author's Notes:
*Beta's Notes: I'm pretty sure Ebbs was trying to kill me with this one. Lots of laughs... well, at least if you've my sense of humor. Poor Harry. ^^ ~Dream

He was about to be kissed.

Sensations took over and Harry let his world funnel until all that was left were kernels of sand fighting past one another to reach the precipice. An hour glass was worn around her neck on a golden chain, the moments ticking past in a blur of motion and stillness. Harry leaned in closer, his lips brushing hers and then, abruptly, the dream ended.

Harry sat bolt upright in bed, his heart thudding painfully in his chest and a warmth spreading through his body. Green eyes blinked away the last images of sleep, he had never caught sight of her face, only a beautiful silhouette outlined softly in the gray murkiness of sleep.

- - -

She was speaking to him, but the words held no meaning. Alien sounds that faded to a hiss of white noise. She was reaching for him with one hand while the other grasped the hour glass tightly, the tiny device peeking through her fingers. Harry moved in, touched her face and then kissed her deeply.

Time re-wound itself at that very moment so that instead of kissing, their lips were being drawn apart and Harry felt his body moving backwards, pulled by an invisible force.

A screamed ripped free from his throat, full of longing and heartbreak. He would always be alone.

- - -

"Mr. Potter, this is not your dormitory," Severus Snape intoned with disgust. "I would suggest you remember that."

Harry looked up blearily, still not quite certain he was awake. Snickers and half-gasped giggles brought him back to the present like a bucket of ice cold water. Harry felt a blush creep up his neck and he ducked his head. The Gryffindor seeker had never been so glad for long robes and low class desks - otherwise the dream would have left him in an embarrassing situation.

The teenager tried to calm his raging hormones, closing his eyes.

"Yes, sir," he answered the teacher.

Snape raised a single eyebrow, a faint grimace the only indication that he was aware of Harry's... difficulty. The teacher turned on his heel, black robes billowing.

"Attention on the board," the Head of Slytherin House commanded, pointing his wand towards the black board. "Make careful note of the ingredient order. There will be a test Friday."

Harry forgotten, the students began meticulous note taking. Even the Slytherins knew better than to skimp on the school work when in Potions class. Snape watched over them with dark, unreadable eyes. Harry avoided looking at the head of the room.

- - -

The girl was so far away now, almost invisible, and steadily getting overtaken by the swirls of gray smoke that hid the rest of the world from view. Harry tried to move, but his body refused to respond. It felt like there were weights on his wrists and ankles.

"Harry."

It was the first word she had spoken that he understood. A sudden flash of gold - the Time Turner in her hand - broke through the smoke. It was only at that moment that Harry smelled burning. It was everywhere. All around him, inside him. He could taste soot on his tongue, the ashy flavor rubbing against his teeth.

She had spoken his name.

Then, everything was gone. No girl, no smoke, no Harry... only emptiness.

- - -

Severus felt a twitch forming above his eye and he stamped down the urge to bite out a scathing comment. The students were working diligently. All but one, Harry Potter, who was asleep again with his head resting on his arms.

Not acceptable.

The potions master glanced at the clock and was relieved to note that there were less than five minutes left to class. Striding forward, the man slapped his hand down hard on Harry's desk, waking the boy.

Green eyes blinked up at him through skewed glasses.

"Detention, Mr. Potter," Snape said firmly.

Harry looked confused for a moment before his face fell in realization. Snape let himself smile in satisfaction. The Brat of Gryffindor would get what was coming to him. An evil laugh echoed deep inside the Death Eater's soul, clapping in glee.

- - -

Harry entered the dungeon classroom, checking the clock to make sure he was on time for detention. Sleep tugged insistently at him, but he brushed it off. The dreams were becoming more frequent and it worried the boy. Harry wondered if he should go to the Headmaster, but then he would think that they were nothing more than dreams.

"You have a definite skill, Mr. Potter, and it should be acknowledged," Snape said as he entered the room, robes billowing like dark storm clouds in his wake, "a skill best described as laziness."

"Sir!" Harry blurted in surprise.

"Watch your tone, Mr. Potter," the potions master said darkly.

"Sorry, sir," Harry said, containing his displeasure. "It's just that..."

"Yes?" Snape's eyebrow threatened to raise.

"I keep falling asleep. And there are these dreams.." Harry had no idea what possessed him to tell Snape these things. "This girl - she has a Time Turner - and fire... no, smoke."

Severus took a step towards the boy, suddenly concerned. There was a fine line between despising a boy and ignoring a possible health risk. As a teacher and Head of House it was his duty to first, and foremost, make sure all the students were safe. Harry was rambling, his eyes taking on a strange light and it worried the professor.

"Harry!" Snape snapped.

The boy stopped talking abruptly. Severus came to stand in front of him, looking him over for any sign of physical illness. When he found nothing the potions master moved to the green eyes - Lily's eyes - and looked deep within.

"Legilimens," the man whispered.

Harry stood perfectly still as he felt Snape's mind intruded on his own. It felt like bugs burrowing under his skin and the sensation made him shudder. Goosebumps broke out across his neck and arms, but he did not move or speak. He needed someone to know - needed someone to explain what had been happening to him.

Then, Snape closed his eyes, the man's body wavering slightly.

"I see," the dark voice seemed too loud.

Harry waited nervously.

"The woman you are seeing is nothing more than your subconscious," Snape explained with a sardonic smile twisting his features. "You, Mr. Potter, are troubled with the malady of all youths. Hormones."

Harry blinked in surprise. "Excuse me, sir?"

Snape looked him in the eye. "You want to have a relationship and yet you feel incapable of sustaining that kind of emotional intimacy. I'm not a ruddy psychologist, but everything I saw in your head points to the simple facts. You want a girlfriend and you have baggage. That's all."

"That's all?" Harry repeated. "Oh."

"Indeed. Now, you have a detention to complete and I have papers to grade. Stop dawdling," Snape said with a glare.

The potions master had the boy scrub cauldrons for two hours before declaring the detention fulfilled. Harry, still embarrassed and confused, had kept his head down and his mouth shut for the entire length of time.

"One moment, Mr. Potter," Snape stopped the boy from leaving. "Come here."

Harry went to the head desk, unable to meet his professor's eyes. Snape swished his wand and muttered something under his breath and a small, thin vial filled with sparkling clear liquid shot into his hand.

"Take this." Snape held out the vial.

"Sir?" Harry took it uncertainly.

"It will help stabilize your hormones and make it possible for you to get a good night's sleep. The brewing instructions for it are in the Third Year syllabus - it is a fairly common potion for the young men of Hogwarts. I will not be supplying you again so I suggest you learn to brew it yourself or have the Granger girl do it for you."

"Thank you," Harry said, curling his fist around the vial.

Snape smirked. "I never thought I'd hear that from a student in detention, much less you, Mr. Potter. Now, run along."

The boy turned and left the classroom. Severus waited until the door was closed before shaking his head and returning to the paperwork spread out before him. Harry Potter was even more conflicted and damaged than he had ever imagined.

The End.


This story archived at http://www.potionsandsnitches.org/fanfiction/viewstory.php?sid=2287