Scandal at Hogwarts by Lady Lanera
Summary: The summer before his seventh year, Harry Potter's life changes forever, but it's not due to Voldemort this time. A fourth-year Ravenclaw accuses Harry of being her unborn child's father. It's up to Harry to prove to Snape, Ginny, and the rest of the Wizarding World that he's not. Can he do it?
Categories: Teacher Snape > Trusted Mentor Snape, Teacher Snape > Professor Snape Main Characters: .Snape and Harry (required), Draco, Ginny, Hermione, Original Character, Ron
Snape Flavour: None
Genres: Angst, Drama
Media Type: None
Tags: Alternate Universe, Snape-meets-Dursleys
Takes Place: 9 - Post Epilogue (middle aged Harry)
Warnings: Abusive Dursleys, Character Death, Profanity, Violence
Prompts: Father Not to Be
Challenges: Father Not to Be
Series: None
Chapters: 12 Completed: Yes Word count: 23977 Read: 55585 Published: 02 Sep 2010 Updated: 24 Sep 2010
Revelations by Lady Lanera
Author's Notes:
I'm pretty certain that I've answered most of the questions posed to me. Enjoy. :D

I've been here for three and a half weeks, and I have yet to find out who the second guest is. I've tried to get it out of Draco and even Snape. The Slytherins only glance at me and tell me to mind my own business or in Snape's case, he just glares at me before stalking off.

During the early part of my stay, I tried once to sneak a peek when the door was halfway open. I paid dearly for that. Snape decided that it was time for me to have an impromptu Occlumency lesson. He was particularly brutal. Well, on second thought, he wasn't as brutal as he could have been. Sure, he did barrel into my head and cause me to have a tremendous blinding headache afterwards. But that's Snape. I'd never say this to his face, but I think understand why he does it now. So much distrust and dishonesty surrounds him that he just can't take a person's words at face value. I mean, how many times has Dumbledore told him that this would be the last time, only to have Dumbledore add one more 'last time' to him? I then sigh.

Once Snape realized that I had a splitting headache, he was surprisingly, well, kind. He gave me a potion that got rid of all my pain. He didn't look any different like compassionate or anything, but I knew he was in his own way. At least, that was what I told myself.

However, he has seen my dreams, has felt my guilt for all the deaths, and has heard my screams. He knows me now better than I know myself it seems. So ever since that day he attacked my mind, we've been having Occlumency lessons at night. I can tell he's trying harder to teach it to me. I mean, he actually stops when I beg him. Then again, if I beg, he stops and stares at me as if I'm an intriguing ingredient he can collect. However, there has been improvement. I can somewhat occlude my mind now and withstand his attacks. The dreams actually have lessened somewhat, too.

"Mr. Potter," Snape says as he walks into the room. Since my first day here, Snape has continued to surprise me. He has been wearing a series of, well, normal clothes. I mean, if someone had told me at the beginning that Snape wore normal everyday clothes in the summertime, I'd have thought the person was bonkers. But there it is. Today, for example, he is wearing a loose grey sweatshirt with faded jeans. The biggest thing I've noticed with Snape since we've been here is how healthy he looks.

I'm not saying that he has a tan or anything, but he doesn't look so close to his grave anymore. I have yet to see a smile, but I'm pretty sure it's coming. It's odd now, looking back. I was so convinced that I'd be dead by the second day. So far, I'm still alive. It's rather a miracle.

"Sir," I reply. It doesn't sound so forced anymore when I say it. I think we've actually come to an understanding of sorts. Well, as good as one as we could come to in this century. Even with that understand, though, he still intimidates the hell out of me. I glance down at the floor before I speak so he doesn't see my emotions. "Is it Professor Sinistra? Is she the Order member upstairs?"

"What?"

"The Order member that has been upstairs, is it Professor Sinistra?"

"You're not going to drop this. Are you, Potter?" he responds before shaking his head. "Very well, follow me." Staring at him dumbfounded, he motions towards me to follow. "Well, come on, Potter," he says clearly exasperated.

I quickly catch up to him, wondering why we're heading in the opposite direction than the upstairs. In fact, we appear to be walking towards the floo. I glance at him with a puzzled look, but he only motions with his arm for me to stop. He then bends down throwing in floo power towards the flames. I can barely make out what he's saying. It's as if he's talking in code or something.

"Inform your Mistress that I wish her to step through immediately." Snape then pulls back from the fireplace and stands beside me. He stands relaxed with his arms behind his back.

I watch the flames waiting for the person to emerge. I mean, it has to be Sinistra, doesn't it? Everyone knows that those two hate each other. I've even seen hexes exchanged between the two. It has to be her. Who else who would have a temper that Snape can control? Well, he can't really control hers. I think he can tolerate her temper a lot more than other peoples' tempers, though. I then sigh right as the embers burst into brilliant green flames. My mouth drops.

"But…how…what…huh?" unintelligently I say before whirling towards Snape. He only stares at me folding his arms across his chest.

"Is something wrong, Mr. Potter?"

"Um…no, Professor," I reply glancing back at my Astronomy professor. She's perfectly fine. Well, she does have a bit of a deep jagged line to her face, making her look a bit like Remus. But other than that, she looks very much alive. I then sigh. "Forgive me, Professor Sinistra, but are you an Order member?" Her dark eyes narrow on me briefly before she glances towards Snape.

"Just humor the boy, Aurora."

"Yes, I'm an Order member. Why do you ask, Harry?"

"And were you there the day someone, probably Death Eaters, attacked the Burrow?"

"Yes." Her eyes flicker towards Snape again before she glances at me.

"Did you get hit by a curse by any chance?"

"Only the one Severus threw at me," she drawled. "Why do you ask, Mr. Potter?"

"But, well, you're all right, though?"

"As far as I'm aware," she responds before sighing. "Harry, what's with all the questions? Did He send you a vision of me dying or something?"

"No, it's just that I thought you were the Order member upstairs."

"She still hasn't regained consciousness, Severus?"

"She has, unfortunately," he replies with a sigh. "And she has been talking my ear off ever since. If I hear one more apology out of her mouth, I am going to hex her."

"She was hit by a curse, Severus. She should be dead," Professor Sinistra softly admonishes.

"Yes, well, if you had not interfered, then she most certainly would have." Snape then glances towards me before looking back at her. "I believe that is all that is required of you, Aurora. You may return to your manor. I shall have your potion later this evening and will send it by owl."

"Aye, aye, captain," she drawls before walking back to the floo and leaving.

"Does that answer your question?" he asks me as soon as the emerald flames die down.

"Then who is it? And why won't you tell me?"

"What's…what's with all the arguing, Pr'fessor?" a tired voice says behind us.

"You should not be walking in your condition, Miss Tonks."

Snape quickly wraps an arm around her waist before steering her towards the couch. He's extremely gentle with her as if he's afraid she'll break. It's odd to see him act this way. He's so…so caring. It's as if she's his daughter or something. Wait…what…could she be…nah…but…well, maybe.

"How are you feeling?" His voice commands honesty. Even I want to answer with that voice.

"All right," she slurs slightly laying her head back against the couch.

"Do not lie to me, Miss Tonks," he responds in his usual no-nonsense way. "I must know the truth. How do you feel?"

"Tired," she responds, opening an eye to peek at him. "I'm gonna get better, right, Pr'fessor?"

"Yes, you're healing nicely. You should be back to your feet in a few more days." She groans loudly, but ceases when he forces her to meet his gaze. "I mean it. Now, just rest, Tonks," he says.

Glancing from Tonks to Snape, I sigh. Every single act I've ever seen from the man is just that, an act. I've probably never even seen the real Snape. I doubt anyone actually has. Well, perhaps Dumbledore has once, but I wouldn't bet on it.

Snape waves his wand over Tonks before frowning. Obviously, the results from his scan aren't what he wants to see with her. He shakes his head once and hands Tonks a vial of a pink liquid. Neither one says anything. She just throws it back before grimacing. Her head then leans against the back of the couch once more. Snape, however, rests a gentle hand on her shoulder.

"Miss Tonks, while I commend your display of strength for joining us, it is most unwise to be taxing your body so. Do not be the idiotic girl you once were. Follow my orders and allow yourself to rest, Tonks. We shall not leave you."

"Thanks, Pr'fessor," she slurs before closing her eyes. Her breathing promptly slows and evens out as sleep overtakes her. Soon, the spiky pink bubble-gum haired young woman is snoring softly.

Snape glances towards me briefly, but says nothing. Instead, he sends a spell that surrounds her before taking a seat in a navy blue armchair. His dark eyes rest on me as I sit in the chair opposite of his. He continues just staring at me for several more minutes. Finally, that haunting silence and intense stare of his just gets on my last nerve, which forces me to speak.

"Tonks was the Order member who was hurt at the Burrow, sir?" It's a stupid question. I know, but it's the only thing I can think of at the moment. Snape only inclines his head slightly. "It was Death Eaters who attacked, right?" Again, he inclines his head, refusing to speak. "Were you...?" My voice then trails off. I mean, how do you ask that question?

"If you are referring to whether I was involved in the attack on the Burrow, the answer is yes." Snape shows no guilt or remorse with that statement. He just sits there perfectly relaxed. "No doubt you heard Sinistra say that I was in a duel with her."

"Yes, sir," I reply quietly. More questions bubble up in my throat. "Were you the one who left that mark on her face?" He nods curtly before folding his arms in a defensive gesture. "Did you mean to hit her with it?"

"What do you think, Mr. Potter?" he answers annoyed.

"I think you'd do anything to make sure He knows you're on his side." When Snape suddenly chuckles softly, I feel my stomach wrench slightly. I'm pretty certain the older dark wizard on my side. I mean, I hope he's on my side. Otherwise, I am definitely going to be in trouble when the end nears.

"After all this time, you still question my loyalties?" he silkily asks with an unpleasant sneer.

"You don't make it easy, sir. But I'm not the same kid you had as a first-year. I've grown up."

"And yet, you still manage to get yourself into rather large messes that I must clean up after."

"But this mess I didn't even do!" When Snape's dark eyes narrow on me, I weakly add, "sir." His eyes, however, don't lose that familiar glare that he holds especially for me. "I didn't do this. If I were to get any girl pregnant, then it'd be Ginny, not some Ravenclaw girl I've never even met, sir."

"I'm sure Molly and Arthur would be thrilled to hear that, Potter," he drawls with a smirk.

"Sir, I don't even understand why Lizzie is lying like that. I mean, what does she hope to get out of this, a bit of the spotlight? She can have it," I snap. "I sure as hell don't want it. I never wanted to be the Wizarding World's Savior or its Chosen One, sir. I just want to be Harry. I want a normal life for once. But am I ever going to get that? Hell no, if they have their way," I growl. Snape only scoffs.

"Finally figured out life isn't fair, have you, Potter?" His eyes show dark amusement.

Biting back the insane urge to strangle the infuriating man across from me, I sigh and release all of the tension that's been building inside of me. After all, getting mad at Snape is only going to lead to two things: Snape yelling back and possibly making my life hell for the last week I'm stuck here. In other words, there's no good news that could possibly come out of it.

"Sir, I have a couple of questions."

"When don't you, Potter?" He has the beginnings of a soft smile as his lips ever so slightly curl upwards. "Ask your questions."

"Well, it's just that I'm wondering what would happen if I did acknowledge that I'm the father?" At Snape's eyes narrowing, I instantly hold up a hand. "I'm not saying I am the father. I'm just saying that if I was, would they want me to marry her then or what?"

"I'm rather convinced that they wouldn't. Your mother was Muggleborn, making you a half-blood. The Burkes are strictly purebloods. They no doubt would consider the child if it was yours a dishonor for their family. You need not worry about being married to her."

"Okay," I reply feeling slightly better. "So, why do you think they're doing this then? I mean, is it because Sirius named me his heir?"

"Potter, they're of the Black name, too. They have their own fortune to whittle through." He then sighs. "They also have the Burke fortune. It's not the money. They're doing this because they can. They are counting on you to fight them so they can turn the Wizarding World against you. They want that. Their plans count on you using your Gryffindor side. Though, I must say I am rather impressed that you haven't sent off some foolish missive to the Prophet yet. You have surprised me by that, Mr. Potter."

"Yeah, just like I haven't fought with Malfoy."

"You saw his summer, so there's no reason for me to be surprised that you'd be civil towards each other. You've both seen horrors no one can imagine." Snape then leans forward. "It will not be easy, Potter, but I believe she'll understand in the end."

Just like that, I know that he knows. I know that Snape knows which path I've chosen, and I can't help but feel a sense of calm wash over me. It's going to be all right as long as Snape's with me.

The End.
End Notes:
Just so you know, initially, I was going to have it be Sinistra, but decided that I use her a bit too much. So she gets a bit of a break. :D

Next chapter, start of the school year and we actually get to meet Harry's accuser, Miss Burke. Can we say...fireworks? :D


This story archived at http://www.potionsandsnitches.org/fanfiction/viewstory.php?sid=2292