Scandal at Hogwarts by Lady Lanera
Summary: The summer before his seventh year, Harry Potter's life changes forever, but it's not due to Voldemort this time. A fourth-year Ravenclaw accuses Harry of being her unborn child's father. It's up to Harry to prove to Snape, Ginny, and the rest of the Wizarding World that he's not. Can he do it?
Categories: Teacher Snape > Trusted Mentor Snape, Teacher Snape > Professor Snape Main Characters: .Snape and Harry (required), Draco, Ginny, Hermione, Original Character, Ron
Snape Flavour: None
Genres: Angst, Drama
Media Type: None
Tags: Alternate Universe, Snape-meets-Dursleys
Takes Place: 9 - Post Epilogue (middle aged Harry)
Warnings: Abusive Dursleys, Character Death, Profanity, Violence
Prompts: Father Not to Be
Challenges: Father Not to Be
Series: None
Chapters: 12 Completed: Yes Word count: 23977 Read: 55592 Published: 02 Sep 2010 Updated: 24 Sep 2010
Double Take by Lady Lanera
Author's Notes:
Enjoy. :D

I stand off to the side away from Ginny and Lizzie in Snape's office near his desk. Both girls are glaring daggers at each other. However, Snape is trying to diffuse the situation somewhat by standing in front of both of them. His arms cross calmly as he stares at Ginny and Lizzie. I can barely see the anger in his face, which I know has to be there.

"Miss Burke, are you well?" He glances towards her relaxing his face slightly.

"Fine, sir," she softly replies.

"Would you object if I scanned you for any injuries? There is no telling what damage Ms. Weasley may have done to your child." He then throws a sneer towards Ginny before smoothing his features back into neutrality.

"I suppose you could, sir. Do you really think she might have hurt it?" Lizzie's deep blue eyes quickly turn into puddles. "It's not like I really wanted it in the first place, you know, Professor. I never asked to be pregnant." She then sniffles, which Snape quickly offers her a handkerchief. After wiping her nose, she folds it in her hands and wraps her arms protectively around her midsection. "Do you know, sir? Do you know that it's...um...it's his child?" she asks motioning with her head towards me.

"No doubt Potter expects some sort of reward for getting something as that right," Snape replies nastily glaring at me. He then pulls out his ebony wand. "You may feel a bit of a pinch, Miss Burke. I assure you, though, the pain is perfectly normal." When she nods in understanding, he runs his wand over her abdomen. For several moments, there's no sound from him before he finally lowers his wand and stares at her. He is perfectly relaxed as he speaks. "The fetus is still perfectly healthy, Miss Burke."

"Thank you, Professor," she replies wiping the tears from her eyes. "I just don't know what I would do if something happened to it. I mean, it might be a mistake, but it's, well, it's still a living being. Do you know what I mean, Professor?"

"Perfectly, Miss Burke," he responds standing tall again. He then glances towards Ginny. "You are very lucky, Miss Weasley, that you did not harm Miss Burke and her child."

"She's lying to everyone, Professor Snape. Harry's not her baby's father," Ginny snarls.

"Oh, please, Miss Weasley," Snape drawls with a smirk. "Far be it from me to inform you, but your dear boyfriend has yet to object to any of the claims. One would think that Mr. Potter just doesn't want to hurt you."

"He didn't sleep with that—"

"Ten points from Gryffindor for Miss Weasley's atrocious language," Snape says lazily.

"Ten points?" she yells. "I didn't even say anything."

"Perhaps not, but I'm not an idiot, Miss Weasley. By all means, do continue, though. I just love to see Gryffindor lose more of its precious points before its first class tomorrow." Snape's dark eyes then glance towards me. "And still Mr. Potter remains quiet. You'll defend Miss Weasley's honor in front of your friends, but not me. I do believe I am offended, Mr. Potter," he mocks.

I only glare back at Snape. Even though, I know that this is all an act, I can't believe it. The man has somehow become even snarkier in a matter of moments. No matter what he says, I'm not going to let him get to me. I can keep my mouth shut. I can. Though, I'm not really sure why I'm not saying anything. I should at least be saying something so Ginny knows that I'm just acting with Snape.

"What? Is the Golden Boy beyond words now?" Snape's eyes narrow on me as if challenging me to speak. "Or is it that you don't want to hurt Miss Weasley and tell her the truth? Oh, yes, I know all about it, Mr. Potter, seeing as how I was the one who caught you sneaking back to your dorms. Thought I'd forget that, did you, Potter?" He scoffs derisively when I don't reply. "Well, it appears to me that this issue between Miss Weasley and Miss Burke could be cleared up rather quickly. Wouldn't you say, Mr. Potter?" He then glances towards Lizzie. "Miss Burke, I apologize." His voice is gentler now as he speaks to her. "This whole matter could be cleared up with a paternity test. If you would agree, that is."

"Would it hurt the baby, sir?" she responds quietly staring directly into Snape's eyes.

"It would not. I swear on my wizard's oath, Miss Burke."

"Then let's do it." Lizzie glances at Ginny. "You may think whatever you want about me, but I know that Harry is the father." She then sniffles softly as more tears slide down her face. "I am sorry, Ginny, but you deserve to know the truth." Her blue eyes glance at me. "I thought you were different."

I glare at Snape. What in the Chudley Cannons is he doing? He knows that I'm not the father. I keep my mouth firmly shut, though. It is better that way I've learned. When Snape suddenly grips my arm and puts his wand against my arm, I yelp. However, I notice that he has only drawn my blood. His dark eyes glance up to me, and he wears that familiar 'say anything, and I'll kill you' look. I watch him walk towards a blood red potion that just happens to be out on his desk. His back is to the girls, but he's standing right in front of me so I can see his every move and facial feature. Granted, there aren't many different faces he makes. There is the 'I'm going to kill you' face, 'you are an idiot' face, and my personal favorite 'I swallowed a lemon drop' face.

My eyes remain on Snape as I watch him add the blood he collected from Lizzie's baby before adding mine. When the potion hisses unexpectedly hisses and Snape's mutters an obscenity under his breath, I stare at him in confusion. The potion has turned from blood red to blue. Oh, how I wish Hermione could be here with me. I really can't understand what the significance is.

"Is the potion blue, sir?" Lizzie speaks from where she's standing.

Snape glances at me before turning around with the blue potion. He inclines his head and sighs. His eyes remain on Lizzie watching her very carefully. He's being really serious right now, which is definitely not a good thing for me. He then sets the potion down and folds his arms across his chest.

"It would seem that you were correct, Miss Burke. Mr. Potter is your child's father."

"WHAT!" Ginny yells before whirling towards me. "How could you?" she snarls glaring at me.

"Thirty points from Miss Weasley for yelling in the presence of a teacher." Ginny instantly clenches her teeth still glaring at me. "Miss Burke, perhaps it'd be best if you returned to your common room now for the evening."

"Yes, of course, thank you, Professor Snape," Lizzie says with a soft smile before walking out.

"You son of a bitch," growls Ginny as she continues glaring at me. "I trusted you. I thought—"

"Oh, dear Merlin, Miss Weasley, shut up!" Snape yells. "Potter's an idiot, but he's not that big of an idiot. He is not the father." He then releases a slow hiss as he allows his anger to leave him. "It would seem that Miss Burke's memory has been tampered with. She truly does believe that you're the father."

"How do you know that, sir?" Ginny asks giving Snape a strange look.

"Miss Burke made no look of relief or confusion when I misinformed her of her child's paternity. She should have reacted somehow, and she did in the manner typical of someone who has something retold to them. She believes that Potter is the father. It is one mystery down."

"Too bad we don't have more of the baby's blood. We could find out who the actual father is," I grumble. "Then I wouldn't have Hermione and Ron made at me."

"Mister Weasley and Miss Granger will get over themselves shortly, Potter. There is no need to act like a spoiled brat. After all, you are not the one who believes wrongly of the child's father." Snape then sighs before pulling out a small vial of blood. "However, you are incorrect."

"How..." I then glance up at Snape. "Of course, you're a Slytherin. I should have figured." I then sigh heavily. "You could find out who the father is then?"

"What would you have me do, Potter? Randomly subject the male students to blood tests until we find the true father?" He then snorts shaking his head. "Typical Gryffindor, you couldn't use your brain if you tried." Glancing towards Ginny for a moment, he looks back at me. "I'd think Saint Potter would jump at the chance to save a poor little defenseless Ravenclaw girl. But then again, I understand if it's because you now have a girlfriend to occupy your time." Snape's lips quirk slightly upwards.

"You're trying to goad me into this, aren't you, Professor?" I reply meeting his look.

"Five points from Gryffindor for making ridiculous accusations," he responds staring at me. "My, my, poor Gryffindor, you're going to be in last place this year, aren't you?"

"Yeah, well, when I come back here and teach beside you, Gryffindor is never going to be last." I then fold my arms across my chest as he does. "Sir," I add desperately trying to keep my smile back.

"Miss Weasley," Snape drawls glancing towards the fiery redhead. "Kindly escort your soon-to-be-dead boyfriend from my office before I prove to everyone that he really isn't the Boy-Who-Lived."

"Yes, sir," Ginny replies slightly confused. She grabs my arm and tugs on my sleeve, though.

"I expect you both in my office tomorrow, Miss Weasley and Mister Potter," he growls as the door opens. His eyes, however, show it's an act. It's all an act. And soon, I will join him in the acting.

The End.
End Notes:
Next chapter: Harry, Ron, and Hermione attend their first Potions class of the new term. Wonder how well that goes for them, considering. :D


This story archived at http://www.potionsandsnitches.org/fanfiction/viewstory.php?sid=2292