Never Too Late by Rosaleen
Past Featured StorySummary: The Hogwarts Headmaster enlists some help to give Harry and Severus something they missed out on.
Categories: Big Brother Snape Main Characters: .Snape and Harry (required), Dumbledore, Hagrid, McGonagall, Molly, Original Character, Remus
Snape Flavour: None
Genres: Angst, Drama
Media Type: None
Tags: Child fic, Deaging
Takes Place: None
Warnings: Abusive Dursleys, Alcohol Use
Challenges: None
Series: None
Chapters: 26 Completed: No Word count: 42164 Read: 168594 Published: 31 Jan 2005 Updated: 10 Aug 2007
Owls and a Picnic by Rosaleen
Author's Notes:
DISCLAIMER: JKR owns all.

The next day, Remus Lupin arrived at the Headmaster's tower after breakfast.

“MOONY!” Harry squealed with delight.

“Hello, Harry,” Remus ruffled his hair affectionately.

“Hi 'Emus,” said Severus quietly.

“Hello, Severus,” Lupin was shocked at how quickly Severus had accepted him as not being some sort of monster. Dumbledore smiled at the man's quizzical look and shook his head to indicate that he had as much knowledge about the child's sudden change of heart, as Lupin did.

“Well, I had a brilliant idea last night,” the old Headmaster's eyes twinkled, “Since it is such a glorious day, I thought it would be nice for us to go for a picnic in the Hogwarts gardens.” The school had some beautiful gardens, which Hagrid kept extremely well.

“That IS a good idea,” agreed Remus, “I'll bring Harry back here at lunch time then.”

“Splendid,” Dumbledore said, “Minerva is going to take Severus this morning. I have a mountain of letters to deal with. If it wasn't July, I would have suspected a hailstorm this morning. What a racket!”

“Abus, wook! Birdies at window,” Severus pointed.

“What, child? Oh Goodness, more!” Dumbledore groaned. He opened the window and let the owls in, detaching the letters from their feet. One letter fell on the ground and Severus put it in his mouth. He ran around the room, shouting “Woo woo”. Harry soon caught on and ran around after him. The adults laughed.

All the running in circles made the children dizzy. Severus swayed and fell, hitting his head on the side of the chair. Albus ran to him and picked him up. The shock of the fall kept Severus quiet for a full minute before he opened his mouth and started to wail.

“Oh, dear me. My poor little owl,” Dumbledore soothed as he began to gently examine the boys head, “You got a nasty bump, didn't you? There, there. It will be all right.”

“Sowe, Abus,” Severus choked out.

“I know it's sore, dearest,” the old man crooned as he conjured up some ice and soaked it in an anti-swelling potion Remus handed him. ”This will make it feel much better.”

As he cuddled Severus, he looked across at Harry and concern crossed his face. “Harry, come here, love. You look a little dizzy, too. We don't want any more falls.”

Harry came to him and Albus made room on his lap.

“You two can do lots of running around outside later,” consoled Remus, “You'll have lots of soft grass to land on, if you fall.”

“Yeah,” Harry grinned, and soon Severus, too, began to calm down.

“Good morning, everyone,” professor McGonagall entered the room, “Oh dear. Did someone have a fall?”

“I hurted my head, 'Nerva,” sniffed the little Slytherin.

“Oh, my poor wee darling,” she cooed, “Shall I kiss it better?” She gave both children a kiss on the head.

“'Nerva. We go ousside today,” Harry was almost bouncing with excitement. His love of the outdoors was well-known. Albus smiled and explained his idea.

“Sounds wonderful,” said the Transfigurations Professor, “I am taking Severus for the morning. That's right, isn't it, Albus?”

“Yes. Thank you, my dear,” Dumbledore removed the ice from Severus's head. He was pleased to see that the potion had done its magic and the bump was almost gone.

“Well, my little birdie. I think you'll live,” Dumbledore's eyes sparkled as he gave Severus a reassuring hug.

“Me an' Hawee owls 'Nerva,” Severus informed McGonagall proudly.

“Oh, now I see how you got that bump,” she answered wryly, “Now, Albus. May I borrow this little owl for the morning. Perhaps he could deliver some letters for me.”

“Certainly,” he answered and Severus laughed, holding his arms out to Minerva. She picked him up and held him close. The little boy waved happily at everyone as they left.

Harry had been very quiet during this time. Albus looked down at him to see if he was all right.

“I think you might still be a bit dizzy, hmm?” he said gently and Harry pressed his face into the soft beard. When the child was steady on his feet again, Remus took him by the hand to go to his rooms.

**

Lunch time saw Severus, Harry, Albus, Hagrid, Minerva and Remus sitting on a large rug in the sunny gardens. There was a slight breeze, which rustled in the branches of the trees and kept everyone cool. Harry and Severus watched the birds and listened to Hagrid naming each one. The food was delicious. The house-elves had surpassed themselves with a mixture of sandwiches, pastries and cakes.

“Severus, you need to eat something healthy before you have anything sweet,” McGonagall told the dark-eyed child firmly, as she handed him a salad sandwich.

Harry was eating contentedly in Dumbledore's arms. He was gradually gaining weight, which pleased the Headmaster. He had been so thin before.

“And what did you and Remus do today, Harry?” he asked the two-year-old.

“Hide an' teek,” Harry told him.

“Yes. He was really good at it,” exclaimed Remus, “I didn't know a child that young would know so many places to hide.”

A very sad look crossed Dumbledore's face at these words. He gathered Harry closer to him and Harry snuggled in tight, enjoying the affection. Remus suddenly realised that Harry's relatives were, most likely responsible for Harry's expertise at hiding. He started slightly, before reaching out to ruffle the boy's hair.

“We did some drawings today, too. Didn't we, Harry,” Lupin decided to change the subject.

“Yeah. I drawed you a picture, Abus.”

“You drew me a picture, little one? Well, that's wonderful. I can't wait to see it. Maybe we could put it on the wall, hmm?” He kissed Harry's forehead.

“You drew pictures for Minerva and Hagrid, as well,” Remus reminded the child. The two mentioned gave him their warmest smiles and Hagrid's eyes watered a little.

“Agrid, where oo-corn?” Severus asked the former gamekeeper.

“I 'ad ter let 'er go, little 'un,” Hagrid told him mournfully, “Awful 'ard it was, too.”

“Why?” asked Severus.

“I should warn you that Severus has a great fondness for that question,” Dumbledore chuckled.

“She was better, Sev'rus, an' she was gettin' too big to keep.”

All the adults missed the anxious look that crossed Severus's face on hearing that. Hagrid mistook his sudden melancholy as missing the unicorn. “I know, Sev'rus. It's very sad, but she couldn't stay with me forever.”

The child's eyes suddenly filled with tears.

“Ah, s'all righ',” Hagrid patted him on the head, trying to comfort him.

“Severus, come here,” Minerva coaxed, but he ran to Albus and buried his head in the man's chest. Fortunately, Harry had moved a few minutes before. He watched the drama unfold from Remus's arms.

“What's wrong, my dear boy?” Dumbledore asked as he put his arms around the sobbing toddler. Severus took a deep breath, his two-year-old mind having difficulty formulating an answer.

“I not big, Abus. Don' wanna go 'way,” he cried.

“Whatever do you mean, dear?” asked the Headmaster, perplexed.

“I think I know what's wrong with 'im,” realisation dawned on Hagrid and he shook his head, “Ruddy great oaf I am. Not thinkin' about what I was sayin'.”

“Hagrid, please enlighten us?” said Minarva, a bite of impatience in her voice.

“He thinks your goin' ter get rid of 'im when 'e gets too big. Like my unicorn.”

Dumbledore was shocked at little Severus's ability to draw such parallels in situations. Surely, such abstract thought was not common in children so young. He then realised it may have triggered another memory.

This awakened a memory of his own. Salazar Snape had been called into a parents meeting, with Severus, to discuss the child's destructive behaviour. The old man had been left in no doubt as to where many of the boy's problems lay.

“I can't wait to get this brat out of my hair,” Salazar had raged, “He's more trouble than he's worth. Big and ugly enough to look after himself, if you ask me.”

“Mr Snape. He is only fifteen,” Dumbledore had said, trying to keep his own anger down, “Surely you care what happens to him. There is obviously a reason for his behaviour.”

“He just wants attention. Bad as his bloody mother. Why don't you keep him, if you are so fond of him?”

**

*A pity I hadn't. * thought Dumbledore. He pushed the memory aside and concentrated on the hurt little child he now held. “Oh, child,” he murmured to Severus, rubbing his back, “We're never going to send you away. I promise.”

“Oo-corn go 'way,” came the small, frightened voice.

“I know, love,” Albus gently explained, “But the unicorn belonged in the forest with all the other unicorns. You belong here, with me, so does Harry. It doesn't matter how big you get. You will always be my children.”

Albus blinked back tears of his own, as he held Severus tightly. The other adults looked as though they were having the same problem. Hagrid mopped at his eyes with a huge handkerchief.

“Come on, now,” Minerva said briskly, discreetly dabbing her own eyes, “Let's eat these sausages before they get cold.”

They followed her example and returned to eating.

A loud flapping noise alerted them to the presence of a large, weary- looking barn owl. He dropped a letter on Dumbledore's head and collapsed on the rug beside him. The Headmaster stroked his feathers and gave him an owl treat. Harry came over for a closer look at the owl and Dumbledore showed him how to gently pet the creature.

“Abus, owl aw dizzy,” said Severus, his dark eyes round with wonder.

“He certainly is, Severus,” smiled the old man.

“That's the Weasley's owl, isn't it?” asked Hagrid, “That bird is so confused, I'm surprised 'e managed ter find ye, Pr'fessor.”

“Yes, the letter is from Molly. I told her about the plan and she wants to help us organise a party for the 31st July.”

“Sounds good,” said Remus, “She'll be a great help.”

“Indeed she will. We want to make it very special,” he beamed at Harry, “Now, please pass me one of those custard tarts, Remus. They look delicious.”

To be continued...


This story archived at http://www.potionsandsnitches.org/fanfiction/viewstory.php?sid=231