Never Too Late by Rosaleen
Past Featured StorySummary: The Hogwarts Headmaster enlists some help to give Harry and Severus something they missed out on.
Categories: Big Brother Snape Main Characters: .Snape and Harry (required), Dumbledore, Hagrid, McGonagall, Molly, Original Character, Remus
Snape Flavour: None
Genres: Angst, Drama
Media Type: None
Tags: Child fic, Deaging
Takes Place: None
Warnings: Abusive Dursleys, Alcohol Use
Challenges: None
Series: None
Chapters: 26 Completed: No Word count: 42164 Read: 168523 Published: 31 Jan 2005 Updated: 10 Aug 2007
When Harry Met Severus by Rosaleen
Author's Notes:
DISCLAIMER J.K. Rowling owns all.

Thanks as usual to my beta reader excessivelyperky

The sun was just peeking through the clouds when a small, dark-eyed child sat up in his cot. He carefully surveyed his surroundings, as he did every morning. Yes, there was Albus's bed and he could see that the old man was still asleep. He looked around a little more and something else caught his attention. There was another cot beside him! In the dim light he could vaguely see a dark head of messy hair just above the blankets. Being a very curious child, he reached through the bars of his cot to those of the one beside him and shook them experimentally.

For little Harry, this was a very rude awakening. It was not his first one, however, given his life with the Dursleys. He sat bolt-upright and, with a whimper, backed away towards the other side of his cot.

Severus was an only child and had rarely seen other children. For this reason, he was fascinated by them rather like a scientist is fascinated by some rare breed of animal. He decided to see what would happen if he shook the bars again.

Harry had had enough, he was tired and more than a little confused. On feeling the second shake, he began to cry. He was too upset to care if Uncle Vernon shouted at him.

Albus Dumbledore woke with a start. Someone was crying. He waved his wand over a couple of candles to light the room. The scene that greeted him made him jump from his bed and run across the room. Severus had pulled back in fright at Harry's cry.

Albus reached out to Harry and coaxed him closer. He picked him up and began to soothe him.

"It's all right, Harry. Shhh. You're safe. It's just Albus. I have you. Shhh," he whispered in the child's ear as he rocked him in his arms.

It took about ten minutes before the shaking and crying subsided, by which time, Severus was crying too. He had not meant to scare the other boy. With surprising strength for a man of his age, Albus lifted Severus from his cot as well and carried the two children over to his large bed. He settled down with the children in his arms.

"There there, now," he cooed, "It is all right children. Such a lot of tears first thing in the morning."

He cuddled both toddlers tightly until they calmed down. He helped them to wipe their eyes and noses and smiled gently at them. "Well, that was not exactly the way I planned for you two to meet."

They looked at him curiously.

"Severus, this is Harry and Harry, this is Severus," he told them. "I hope the two of you can play together and be good friends."

Harry leaned back against Dumbledore and buried his face in the long beard. He was still fearful of Severus, unsure as to whether he was like Dudley or not. Albus held him more tightly and stroked his messy black hair as Severus squirmed out of his grasp and climbed off the bed. He returned with a small teddy bear. It was grey, with a red ribbon tied in a bow around its neck. With a little help from Dumbledore, he clambered back onto the bed and offered the toy to Harry.

"Here, here," he held the bear out. Harry took it tentatively and, on seeing no negative reaction, held it close.

"Oh, Harry, isn't that a nice teddy?" Dumbledore beamed, "That was a lovely, thoughtful thing to do, Severus."

He kissed the boy on the forehead. "Now I want you both to wait here for me while I use the bathroom. All right?"

Albus summoned Dobby who appeared with a crack. Harry gaped at the little creature while Severus did not react. He had house-elves at home.

"Hello Headmaster Dumbledore," the house-elf squeaked, "What can Dobby do for you this morning?"

"Good morning, Dobby," smiled Dumbledore, "Could you please keep an eye on these two, while I wash and dress? I shall not be long."

Dobby had seen the de-aged Severus, but when he looked at the other little boy he gasped and clapped a hand over his mouth. "Harry Potter!" he shrieked.

"Yes Dobby. That is Harry Potter. He has been de-aged in the same way as Severus. Do not worry. It will only be for a few weeks."

"Dobby understands sir," the elf said solemnly, "And will do as you ask."

Dumbledore turned to the children. "This is Dobby," he explained, "He is going to watch you until I come back."

"Thank you, Dobby," Dumbledore gave the elf a smile, "I shall be as quick as I can".

************************************************************************

It became apparent, however, that Dobby did not have as much influence over the children as he would have liked. Dumbledore returned to his bedroom five minutes to find two very hyperactive children and a frightened house- elf.

"Little masters! You mustn't be doing that! It is being too dangerous," Dobby cried, wringing his hands.

Harry had gained some courage now that he knew Severus was not a second Dudley. He had decided that jumping up and down on the headmaster's large bed was a lot of fun. Severus had watched for a moment before following suit. They were now shrieking with laughter.

"Ah ah ah," scolded Dumbledore as he lifted the two boys off the bed, "Beds are not for jumping on. You could fall off and hurt yourselves. You must listen to Dobby when he is looking after you".

In the second show of spirit that morning, Harry pouted and ran away from Albus to the corner of the room.

*The terrible twos *, thought Dumbledore ruefully.

"Harry," he said gently, "We are going for breakfast now. Why don't you come with us. I will get you something to jump on when we are finished."

There was no response from the little boy at first, but as Albus took Severus by the hand and made as if to leave, Harry cried and ran over to him.

As Dumbledore picked up the frightened child. He reflected that Harry was probably not at his best that morning, given the rude awakening. He had not had the same quiet introduction to his second childhood as Severus had enjoyed. That in mind, he held the boy close as he carried him and spoke gently into his ear.

************************************************************************

"Good morning, everyone," came the very welcome voice of Minerva McGonagall a few minutes later, "How are we all today?"

"Grumpy," answered Albus as he sat down with Harry on his lap and began to feed him.

Minerva set Severus into his highchair.

"Dear me, Albus," she said lightly, "Already? It is only your second morning."

"Not me, Minerva. The children." Dumbledore began to explain the morning's events, causing her to laugh. The children clapped and laughed with her.

"Well, my dears, " she smiled, "I have just the thing for you. I shall show you after breakfast."

She took Harry into her arms to allow Albus to eat and spoke quietly to him.

"All gone," said Severus proudly after a few minutes. He held up his plate to show them.

"Very good, Severus," said Dumbledore, "Let's wash those hands and that face. You must be wearing almost as much of it as you ate."

He took a damp cloth and started to clean Severus, who squirmed. He did not like that procedure.

************************************************************************

After breakfast Professor McGonagall produced a small child's trampoline with a handle for the children to hold as they jumped. They spent the next half hour jumping up and down, squealing with delight. When it became obvious that they were getting bored, Minerva turned to Albus.

"What shall we do now?" she asked.

"I have an idea," said Dumbledore, "We will have to go to the seventh floor. Let them walk for a while. We can carry them if they get tired."

They each took a child by the hand and began their journey through Hogwarts. Harry stared around him in awe. Having grown up in a Muggle household, this was his first sight of magic. He was a little frightened of the moving staircase, though,and Dumbledore carried him up them.

Soon they arrived outside the Room of Requirement.

"We need a playroom for small children". Albus announced.

The room certainly provided. They entered to find it set up like a pre- school. There were low shelves filled with children's books, activities and toys. A brightly-coloured table with small child-sized chairs, sat in the middle of the room and there was also a soft corner with squashy bean bags for reading and relaxing. The two toddlers gaped at it. Amazement on their small faces.

"Well, children. Go and play, " said McGonagall in something akin to her teacher's voice.

Neither Harry nor Severus need to be told twice. Very soon, they were exploring everything the room had to offer. Severus discovered a box of paints and Albus found him some parchment and helped him sit at the table.

"Why don't you paint a nice picture?" he smiled.

Severus greatly enjoyed mixing the paints.

"Well, now I can see where your love of potions began." Dumbledore remarked.

"Poshins," Severus repeated happily.

Just then, there was a loud crack and a small house-elf rocketed across the room.

"Headmaster Dumbledore sir, Professor McGonagall!" she shrieked in terror, "Bad Peeves is ruining the kitchens."

A dark look crossed Minerva's face. "I'll deal with this," she said.

With that, she strode out of the room. Albus took the book she had been about to read to Harry and beckoned him over.

What the headmaster failed to notice, however, was that the end of his long beard was lying on the table, close to where Severus was painting. Severus had become tired of parchment and thought the white, fluffy thing would be much nicer to paint. Taking the orange paint he began to cover it.

As soon as Albus finished reading Harry the story McGonagall returned, looking cross.

"Really! That wretched creature! You should just get rid of him Albus. It is not often that I find myself agreeing with Filch, but honestly.." She stopped, mid tirade, and stared at her friend for a full minute before she threw back her head and laughed.

Dumbledore was surprised. Minerva was not one for strong displays of emotion. Whatever was she laughing at? He turned around to see how Severus was doing (the child had been extremely quiet for the last while) and his mouth fell open in shock.

"Dear Merlin!" he exclaimed. The end of his beard was now bright orange.

"That will teach you to pay better attention Albus." McGonagall was taking deep, steadying breaths.

"Severus! You little rascal!" exclaimed the headmaster. The little boy stared back at him innocently.

"Owange, Abus," he stated.

"So I see, child," said Dumbledore dryly, "It will take a lot of cleaning charms to get this out."

He turned around in time to see Harry climbing onto one of the shelves. "What am I going to do with you?" he said as he lifted him down.

Severus and Harry stared at him with expressions to make any angel proud.

"All these years I have been Headmaster in such a large school and I'm caught out by toddlers," sighed Dumbledore, "I must be losing my touch." He began to murmur spells to clean his beard.

To be continued...


This story archived at http://www.potionsandsnitches.org/fanfiction/viewstory.php?sid=231