Never Too Late by Rosaleen
Past Featured StorySummary: The Hogwarts Headmaster enlists some help to give Harry and Severus something they missed out on.
Categories: Big Brother Snape Main Characters: .Snape and Harry (required), Dumbledore, Hagrid, McGonagall, Molly, Original Character, Remus
Snape Flavour: None
Genres: Angst, Drama
Media Type: None
Tags: Child fic, Deaging
Takes Place: None
Warnings: Abusive Dursleys, Alcohol Use
Challenges: None
Series: None
Chapters: 26 Completed: No Word count: 42164 Read: 168635 Published: 31 Jan 2005 Updated: 10 Aug 2007
Complications and Slides by Rosaleen
Author's Notes:
DISCLAIMER: JKR owns all.

A/N: Thanks for all reviews and to my beta reader excessivelyperky.

Fortunately for Headmaster Dumbledore, Severus and Harry slept for a further two hours, allowing him to have breakfast and dress before they awoke.

Harry was the first to stir. He opened his eyes and looked around. "Hello, little one," said Albus softly, sitting on the edge of the bed, "Did you have a nice sleep?"

Harry did not answer but instead, he crawled across to the Headmaster, who took him onto his lap. Harry buried himself against the man and put his thumb in his mouth.

He was totally silent as Albus carried him to the bathroom to wash and dress him. Dumbledore supposed that he was still upset by his dream, or memory, the night before. He decided he would ask Professor McGonagall to take the children out while he spoke with Madam Pomfrey. He needed to ask the nurse further questions about the de-ageing potion.

By the time Albus returned to the bedroom, Severus had opened his eyes. Dumbledore set Harry down on the bed and gave him some brightly coloured picture books to look at. Harry seemed very reluctant to touch the books, and it took some persuasion, on the Headmaster's part, before he gingerly picked one of them up.

The old man's fears for Harry increased. The child had played quite happily after a little persuasion, the previous day. Now, he seemed to have regressed again. There was a lot more work to be done with the little boy.

He called Dobby and asked him to stay with Harry while he attended to Severus. Soon, Severus, too, was dressed and sitting on the bed beside Harry. Dumbledore turned away for a moment to fetch his outer robe and when he turned back, Severus was holding Harry's book in his arms. Harry was looking at the other boy with a mixture of fright and sadness.

"Severus, did you take that book from Harry?" Dumbledore asked.

"I want it, Abus," said Severus stubbornly.

"No, Severus," Dumbledore's voice was gentle but firm as he returned the book to the green-eyed child, "Harry was looking at that book. Why don't you take this one?" he held up another, "Look, there's a nice red train on the front. It looks just like the Hogwarts Express, doesn't it?"

"No! Want otha book!" shouted Severus, startling Harry even more. Before Albus had time to intervene, Severus reached out and pulled Harry's unruly hair. Harry cried in fright and hid under the bedclothes, while Severus took the opportunity to retrieve the book.

Albus was quite surprised at this outburst. What was wrong with Severus? He suspected that the answer to that lay in the memory of Salazar Snape, of the previous night. It had made Severus angry and confused. Salazar had been aggressive, to say the least, and Severus had learned this behaviour as a young child. Little wonder the Potion's Master bullied many of his students in class. It was all that he knew.

However, Albus realised that he had to stop this behaviour. He could not let Severus bully Harry. Dudley Dursley had already done that to the child. *This situation calls for very careful handling. * he thought.

Once again, he removed the book from Severus's hands. He gently extracted the shaking, crying Harry from under the covers and with a lot of calming words, was finally able to hold him.

Severus looked at Harry, crying in the Headmasters arms, while the old man soothed and petted him. Jealousy and hurt filled the child's mind. Like all young children, he felt them very deeply yet could not understand or express them easily. Albus looked up at him and read the child's feelings easily. "Oh, Severus. Harry is crying because that hurt him. What happened? Are you a bit sad today?"

"My book, Abus," cried the dark-eyed child.

"Severus," Albus explained gently, "The books are for you both. You can see the book when Harry has finished with it. You can have another book to read while you wait, all right?"

Severus had been expecting to be shouted at, or smacked, as his father would have done. Dumbledore's gentle chiding and explanations broke down some of his emotional barriers. His eyes filled with tears, which began to flow freely down his cheeks.

Dumbledore watched as Severus started to cry. "Poor Severus, * he thought, *He is every bit as hurt and insecure as Harry. *

"Come here, darling," he coaxed in his softest voice, holding his free arm open. Severus crawled over to Albus and buried his face in his long beard, his small body wracked with sobs.

"Shhhh, shhhh. It is all right," Albus cooed, "I know you didn't mean it. You are very upset, aren't you? My poor poor babies. It is going to be all right, I promise. Shhh."

He spent the next half-hour like this, rocking and soothing the distraught toddlers, speaking calmly and lovingly to allay their fears. "Now, my little ones," he said as he wiped their eyes and noses, "Why don't we go and get some breakfast? Minerva will be here to see you soon."

He set them on their feet and offered a hand to each of them. Before Severus reached for it, however, he patted Harry on the head in a childish gesture of apology. Harry looked at him fearfully, at first, but then relaxed and even smiled a little at the other boy.

Albus smiled softly to himself but did not comment. *Perhaps I am not so bad at this after all, * he mused.

"Come on, Abus! See 'Nerva now," the little Slytherin's demand was accompanied by a tug on his hand.

"All right. All right," Dumbledore laughed.

**************************************************************************** *

To Dumbledore's further amazement, both children sat in their highchairs and ate contentedly. A knock at the door signalled Professor McGonagall's arrival.

" 'Nerva!" shouted Severus joyfully, while Harry gave her a shy smile.

"Hello, my pets," she smiled, "I see we are all being very well-fed."

She looked at Dumbledore, who appeared deep in thought. "Is something wrong, Albus?" she asked quietly.

"Minerva, could you take the children for an hour or so, while I speak with Madam Pomfrey?" he asked.

"Certainly," said McGonagall. She decided not to question him further for the moment. Instead, she turned to the boys. "Who wants to go to the park?" she asked.

"ME!" they both cried happily and she laughed.

Albus roused himself from his musings and spoke to them. "Now, children. I hope you will be very good for Minerva. You will do that for me, won't you?"

"Yeah," said Severus quickly, "I good boy."

"Yes," smiled Albus.

"I good boy too?" asked Harry timidly, as if afraid of the answer.

"Of course you are, my Harry," Albus told him lovingly, his eyes full of warmth.

McGonagall went to Harry. "Come on, pet. Let's get you cleaned up and out of that chair, hmmm?"

Harry let her take him out and he cuddled into her tightly. She sat down with him on her lap. Harry had been deprived of love and attention in his young life and she wanted to make up for that as best she could.

Albus repeated this procedure with little Severus, who leaned back contentedly in his arms.

"I gather there was a wee problem this morning?" McGonagall asked shrewdly.

"Yes," sighed Albus, "I think I resolved it in the short term, but I need to speak with Poppy. I am not sure I understand it all, myself."

"It's all going to take time, " Minerva placed a reassuring hand on his arm, "You are doing well, but you cannot do everything at once."

"I know," Dumbledore answered, "I am very grateful for your support."

"You will always have it," she said with sincerity.

Dumbledore leaned over and gave her an affectionate peck on the cheek.

"Abus wuv 'Nerva," came Severus's small voice, causing two mouths to fall open.

"Come on. Let's get you two ready to go out, " chuckled Dumbledore, breaking the awkward silence.

**************************************************************************** **

When the children were dressed in warm robes, Albus and Minerva set them into the double pushchair. Hogsmeade was a little too far for them to walk.

"Have a good time, children," smiled Albus, "I shall see you later." He hugged and kissed them.

"You come too, Abus?" Severus asked.

"No, child," Dumbledore replied gently, "I have something to do now, but I'll see you when you come back later."

"Letah," repeated the little boy.

"Yes, Severus," laughed Albus.

"An' me?" asked Harry softly.

"And you, Harry," Dumbledore reached out to stroke the child's cheek. Harry needed a lot of reassurance that he was valued.

He stood up again.

"Off you go, now, and have a wonderful time," he beamed, "I wish I could go too. I would go on the swing."

Severus laughed. "You too big, Abus."

"No I am not," Albus feigned an indignant tone, "Minerva is going to go on the swing. You wait and see."

"She most certainly is not," came the stern reply of the Deputy Headmistress.

"'Nerva go on swide," said Harry, smiling at last.

Albus shook with laughter at the thoughts of his strict Transfiguration teacher sliding down a slide, her green robes billowing around her.

"I think I shall need a stiff drink before I go," stated McGonagall, "have you got any Firewhiskey, Albus?"

Her only answer was more laughter.

To be continued...


This story archived at http://www.potionsandsnitches.org/fanfiction/viewstory.php?sid=231