Never Too Late by Rosaleen
Past Featured StorySummary: The Hogwarts Headmaster enlists some help to give Harry and Severus something they missed out on.
Categories: Big Brother Snape Main Characters: .Snape and Harry (required), Dumbledore, Hagrid, McGonagall, Molly, Original Character, Remus
Snape Flavour: None
Genres: Angst, Drama
Media Type: None
Tags: Child fic, Deaging
Takes Place: None
Warnings: Abusive Dursleys, Alcohol Use
Challenges: None
Series: None
Chapters: 26 Completed: No Word count: 42164 Read: 168544 Published: 31 Jan 2005 Updated: 10 Aug 2007
Not Padfoot by Rosaleen
Author's Notes:

DISCLAIMER: JKR owns all.

A/N: Thanks for all your reviews and to my beta

excessivelyperky. All hail perky who sends the corrections back so fast!!!

Minerva McGonagall stood frozen for a second as the dog snarled and lunged at little Harry, knocking him over. Recovering quickly, the Transfigurations professor pulled out her wand and stunned the creature, which fell on its side beside the child.

Minerva all but ran to where Harry lay on the ground. The toddler seemed too stunned to move. "Harry?" Anxiety was in McGonagall's voice as she leaned over the child.

Harry blinked a few times and then pushed himself up. His green gaze travelled to the now paralysed dog. "Pa'foot," he whispered, "You hurted him 'Nerva." His gaze turned accusingly back to her.

"Child," Minerva felt heartbroken for the little boy, "That is not Padfoot, love. Padfoot is gone."

These words triggered something in Harry's memory, an image of a man falling, his face turning from laughter to horror.

More powerful than the memory itself , however, was the pain Harry remembered feeling at losing the last link to his family, his real family. Completely at a loss for what to do, the terrified child opened his mouth and started to wail.

McGonagall watched as Harry's eyes became a much darker green. For several seconds, it seemed as though she was looking at the fifteen-year-old Harry Potter. The moment quickly passed, leaving a very upset and confused toddler in its wake.

When Harry opened his mouth, a cry of pure grief and anguish filled the air. It tore at Minerva's heart and she pulled him up into her arms, where she held him and tried to comfort him.

Ten minutes later, when no amount of rocking and gentle words had helped, she decided that she needed to get back to Hogwarts, and fast. Taking the handle of the pushchair, she apparated to the edge of the school grounds, Harry still held tightly in her arms.

It was an almost impossible task to push a double pushchair while holding a shrieking child. Relief filled her mind when she saw the towering figure of Hagrid approaching them.

"Great Merlin, Pr'fessor! What's wrong with young 'Arry?" Hagrid's dark eyes were filled with concern.

"It is a long story," she answered loudly over Harry's cries, "I think he just remembered Sirius's death."

"Poor little mite," Hagrid looked horrified as he patted Harry's head.

"Hagrid, could you take Severus inside please? I need to get Harry back to the Headmaster's tower. Let's hope Madam Pomfrey is still there."

With that, they moved quickly into the castle and soon found themselves at Dumbledore's door, which opened magically. All the while Harry cried, his face now bright red.

************************************************

"Dear Merlin!" Dumbledore's exclamation almost mirrored Hagrid's, as McGonagall entered with the screaming child. "What happened? Did he fall?"

"We were in the park and he saw a dog that looked like Padfoot. Unfortunately it was quite vicious and pounced at him. I had to stun it, and then explain to Harry that it was not Sirius, that Sirius was gone. It seemed to set him off in some sort of flashback."

"A memory," said Albus, "Yes, Poppy has been telling me about them. He's been crying ever since?"

"Yes, and I have no idea what to do. I have tried everything I can think of," Minerva was almost at the point of crying, herself. Her head felt like it would burst.

"Here, give him to me," said the Headmaster.

He took the distraught Harry into his arms, concentrating on keeping very calm, and began to sway a little, infusing the child with some soothing energy.

"Shhh, little one. Shhh. I know. I know. It hurts terribly, doesn't it? My poor poor child."

"Want Pa'foot," Harry choked out.

Minerva and Hagrid looked at a loss, but Albus simply sat down in a comfy chair and cradled Harry closer. "I know you want him, Harry," he whispered tenderly, "It's just not fair, is it? Padfoot will always be watching out for you, though. You were the most important person in his life."

Dumbledore continued with the gentle litanies, as he rubbed the child's back, sending in healing calmness. Gradually the cries turned to small sobs, and the sobs to hiccoughs. Very soon, Harry lay almost limp with fatigue in the Headmaster's arms.

"Get him a drink please, Minreva?" Dumbledore said quietly.

Minutes later, Dobby appeared with two children's cups of juice. Hagrid gave one to Severus. He had taken the boy out of the pushchair and sat him on his lap. The child was wide-eyed, watching the scene unfold.

Dumbledore took Harry's cup and poured a small phial into it. He coaxed Harry into drinking it. He conjured a damp cloth and started to wipe the teary little face. All the while, he whispered into Harry's ear and rocked him slightly, back and forth. Harry's eyes closed and hi breathing evened out as he fell asleep. Dumbledore looked up at the others.

"He should sleep for a while," stated Albus calmly, "I added a very mild sleeping draught to his juice."

"Oh, Albus! That was awful!" McGonagall still looked upset. "Whatever are we to do for him?"

"We can only be here and care for him," Dumbledore answered softly, "It will be very hard, at times, but, in the end, I think this will help him."

He looked at Severus, still sitting quietly on Hagrid's knee, and managed to produce a gentle smile for the boy. "Hello, Severus," he said gently, "Did you have a nice time at the park?"

Severus merely nodded. Harry's screaming had unnerved him, reminding him of screaming he had heard before. Something that his innocent baby's brain could not process at that moment.

Albus watched the dark-eyed child closely. He was aware that something was troubling him. His talk with Madam Pomfrey made him even more attentive to the children. Even the smallest of looks or gestures had to be examined carefully.

"Minerva, perhaps you would take Harry to bed?" he asked.

The witch nodded and, very gently, took the sleeping baby into her arms again.

Severus recovered a little from his shock and squirmed out of Hagrid's arms. The half-giant carefully set him down and he ran to Dumbledore, burying his face in the old man's long beard. Dumbledore picked him up and held him, stroking his hair. He did not press the little boy. He wanted to give him the space to speak when he wished.

"Well, I'd better be gettin' back," said Hagrid, "Lots to do. Harry will be all right, won't he Pr'fessor?"

"Yes, Hagrid. I think he will," Dumbledore reassured him, "Thank you for your help."

"Yes. Thank you, Hagrid," said Minerva, who had returned.

"No trouble," said Hagrid, and he left quietly.

McGonagall sat down in a chair, opposite Dumbledore's, and put her head in her hands.

"You should have seen him, Albus, when he remembered about Sirius," she whispered, "It was as if his fifteen-year-old brain took over for a few seconds."

"That is exactly what did happen," Dumbledore gave her arm a comforting pat and began to explain what Madam Pomfrey had told him.

"So, we can expect more of this?" she asked finally.

"Yes. We can. At least, now, we will be prepared," Dumbledore idly ran his hand through Severus's soft baby hair. "Minerva. You have had quite a shock today. Why don't you go back to your rooms and rest for the afternoon? I can look after the children."

"All right. If you are sure." McGonagall looked uncertain, but Albus smiled, the twinkle returning to his eyes.

"Of course I am sure. It is not as if Severus has any orange paint at his disposal."

"Owange," said Severus quietly.

Dumbledore laughed and kissed his forehead, while even Minerva managed a small smile.

"I shall see you later then." she said.

Dumbledore wished her well and looked down at the child in his arms.

"Well, Severus. What about some lunch?"

************************************************

The rest of the afternoon passed quite peacefully. Harry slept for most of it, and only woke to take a light snack in the mid-afternoon.

Severus was unusually subdued, but Albus did not push him. He knew the child would come around eventually. Instead he read to Severus and played with him until, he too, became tired.

Albus had just changed him and was preparing to put him down for a nap, when the little boy suddenly spoke.

"Hawee sad," he said.

"Yes, he was," Dumbledore answered gently, "Why do you think he was sad, Severus?"

The Headmaster wanted to see how much the child had understood.

"Cos the big doggy scawed him," said Severus simply, "An' then 'Nerva put a big red spell on it an' it felled over." Severus's eyes were round with awe as he told Albus these details. The old Headmaster chuckled warmly and stroked the dark hair.

"An' than Hawee started scweaming, an' I didn't like it," Severus finished with a shudder.

"I know, child," Albus took Severus into his arms again, "The noise frightened you, didn't it?"

"Daddy spelled Mummy, an' it made her scweam, cos it hurted her," Severus stated quietly.

Dumbledore almost dropped him. Salazar had put the Cruciatus curse on his own wife? The man was an absolute monster!

Keeping an iron grip on his emotions, Albus forced himself to ask the toddler the next question.

"Did Daddy ever put the spell on you, Severus?"

But Severus just shuddered again and closed his eyes tightly, shaking his head in a childish attempt to block out the terrible memories.

"It's all right, my dearest," Dumbledore soothed, "You are safe now. No one will ever hurt you again. I promise."

Severus looked up at him trustingly and Albus caressed his soft cheek. "Well, child. I am certainly tired now, too. Why don't we sleep in my bed?"

Severus gave a small smile and buried his face in Dumbledore's soft beard once more.

Albus was horrified at these new revelations . *How much more is there to discover? * he wondered. He was worried that Severus would not sleep well, after such memories had been awoken, and he did not want to leave the boy alone. Staying with him would also mean he could hear Harry.

He settled them into the bed and, as the child drifted off to sleep, Albus made some plans for the days to come. He would contact Remus, that evening, and invite him to spend some time with Harry. He hoped that Harry would open up a little more to Remus about Sirius. This, he felt, could only help them both to deal with their sadness. The arrangement would also mean that he would be able to spend some quality time with Severus. Once more, he looked down at the sleeping baby in his arms and vowed to do what he could to heal his hurts.

To be continued...


This story archived at http://www.potionsandsnitches.org/fanfiction/viewstory.php?sid=231