Changing the Past by Keats
Summary: Based on the challenge Changing the Past by shigeki11: Severus and Harry have survived the final battle, however on the very night as Hogwarts sleep a Dark Lord from the past resurfaces and Hogwarts is destroyed. They journey to the past and adopt the toddler Tom Riddle in order to save the future. How much can they really change when some things seem destined to happen. Set partially during World War II where conditions of war exist; implied rape, implied torture though not of main characters (nothing graphic). Bad Dumbledore. Implied Dumbledore/Grindelwald.
Categories: Snape Equal Status to Harry > Comrades Snape and Harry Main Characters: .Snape and Harry (required), Dumbledore, McGonagall, Original Character, Voldemort
Snape Flavour: None
Genres: Drama, Family, Hurt/Comfort
Media Type: None
Tags: Adoption, Child fic, Deaging, Slytherin!Harry, Time Travel
Takes Place: 0 - Before Harry is born, 8 - Post Hogwarts (young adult Harry)
Warnings: Character Bashing, Physical Punishment Spanking, Rape
Prompts: Changing the Past
Challenges: Changing the Past
Series: None
Chapters: 12 Completed: No Word count: 67796 Read: 63186 Published: 22 Sep 2010 Updated: 12 Jan 2011
Chapter 2: A New Time and A New Life by Keats
Harry opened his eyes when he heard someone calling him; he looked up and saw Snape looking at him.

He groaned "It wasn't a dream."

"No Mr. Potter, it wasn't a dream."

"When are we?" Harry said and looked around "Where are we?"

"The where is easy; we are in the same spot we left, which is on Hogwarts grounds.  It seems to be early in the morning. Do you know the tempus charm, cast tempus totalis, it would give you the exact date and time."

Harry cast it and saw it was 6:08 (and 10 seconds..11..12)  in the morning  June 1st, 1928.

"Wow we have really gone back in time, to be honest I thought we would go back to my parent's days" Harry said.

"No you asked to save them all; Grindelwald started his so call grasp for power in the mid-1930s.  His real reign of terror started in 1937 which of course led to what the muggles called World War two starting in 1939. He was supposedly killed in 1945 by Dumbledore. Dumbledore then became Headmaster of Hogwarts and Head of the Wizengamot" Severus slipped into a lecture mode as if it helped him think.

"So why now?"

"I do not know but we have to get out of here, the occupants of the castle will wake soon" Snape said and ran in the direction of the gate. Harry followed.  They ran all the way out the gate and then down to the village of Hogsmeade.

Harry saw Snape go in his pocket and took out a money pouch.  They went into The Travellers Inn which later became Rosmerta's and ordered breakfast.  They ate (Snape was starving) and then tried to rent two rooms, they were told there was only one available, so they took it.  Thankfully there were two beds.

"Get some sleep we will discuss our plan of action when we wake" Snape said lying on a bed and fell asleep almost instantly. Harry warded the room and went to the next bed and tried to get some sleep.

Severus woke still feeling tired. He looked at the clock on the bedside table in between the two beds; he saw the time was 4:13 am.  He sighed; he had slept almost 24 hours, the physical trauma of the last few days had taken a toll on him. He got up and looked around. He saw the boy sitting on an armchair.  He was going to make a snide comment and then saw that the boy looked haunted. "Harry did you get any sleep?"

Harry shook his head "Nothing works..."

"How long have you been like this?" Severus said going over to him.

"Have had nightmares since Sirius died... now it's worse. Because of me they are all dead" Harry said hauntingly.

"Harry it is not your fault."

"Yes it is I should have saved them... Neville, Luna, McGonagall, even Draco. When I close my eyes I see the fire, I hear them screaming for me to save them and I can't. I keep calling Kreacher and he wouldn't come. He took me to safety and I... I sent him back and ordered him to go to the castle and get some sleep" Harry said. Severus saw the tears in the boy's eyes but they did not fall. The boy had been too conditioned, he could not cry. Like with Sirius' death, the guilt was eating the boy alive.

Severus nodded "Let me see if I could help. I can put an occlumens shield around your mind. It will be temporary but it should stop the nightmares."

Harry looked at him and nodded.  Severus put his hand on Harry's head and looked into his eyes. Severus saw flashes of Harry's life, what he saw really disturbed him. He concentrated and put up the shield and he saw Harry give a small smile. Severus put the boy to bed, he sat and patted his back and soon heard the slight snores.

Severus looked at the sleeping boy. The brief flashes made him think of the various things he had seen in Harry's mind when he had first tried to teach him occlumency the boy's fifth year. He had gone and reported it to Dumbledore. The Headmaster had spun a set of fancy stories and in the end Severus had dismissed it.  Now he knew how much he had wronged the boy by trusting in Dumbledore.

Severus stood up and moved over to the armchair Harry had previously sat. It was still very early in the morning and the kitchens downstairs would be closed. He however needed the loo. The room did not have its own private bathroom so he would have to leave the room, which he did not want to but... he really needed the loo.

He saw Harry's wand on a small table in the sitting area of the room. He took it and hoped the wand worked for him. He cast the spell and he felt his bladder lightened. He smiled and then cast various personal grooming charms. He felt so much better. He put the wand back down; he would have to go to Diagon Alley as soon as possible to get a wand. Dumbledore had stripped him of not only his wand but his secret knife as well. 

He checked his pocket to see what he did have. He knew he had his money pouch, which only had about a hundred galleons. He smiled, in 1928 a Professor at Hogwarts probably made about five galleons a month, so the hundred should go a long way. It would not be enough to buy a house but he should be able to rent something reasonable. He would need to get a job.

He continued checking his pockets. He had a few emergency potions. He had started walking with them as those blasted Carrows loved physically torturing the children and he would often need a few on hand.  He took out a handful of puking pastels he had confiscated... he smiled the Weasley twins were absolute geniuses when it came to potions. It was a pity they were only interest in jokes and not something like healing... they would have been fantastic. He sighed, the Weasley twins were not alive, Molly wasn't even born. Hell even his own mother was not alive yet. His head hurt.

He emptied the last pocket. He looked at the strange vial... He had stolen Albus' purple vial. It was a youth formula. He looked at the boy in the bed. He thought about it and then put the vial away.

Severus looked around; he saw an envelope which obviously was Harry's. He opened it. In it were documents... Severus assumed from the envelope they were in that the goblins at Gringotts had helped Harry organise it. The boy had done some planning.  He looked at the top set of papers. They were birth papers for various individuals, the first names of the people were there and the surnames were blank. Severus assumed Harry left it blank so the others could choose their own last names.  He saw birth papers for Minerva, Neville, Luna and there was one for him (he chuckled Harry had made Minerva Severus' mother).  He looked at the other documents there were certificates showing home-schooled qualifications and even... Snape gasped when he saw a Marriage Certificate for him. He looked at the name of his supposed bride... Lily.

Severus looked at the name and a tear fell. He looked at the sleeping boy. Then a thought struck him. He looked through the documents and saw Harry's birth paper. He stared at it... Harry had put him as Father.

------

Harry woke up feeling better than he had in a long time. He looked around. The room was empty. He sighed and stood up. He saw the documents he had brought were out of the envelope. Snape had obviously read them. Harry looked at the one on top, his birth paper. He sighed; had Snape run out on him because he didn't want Harry as a son.

"I am too freaky for anyone to want me" Harry said out loud.

"If I had a wand your mouth would be filled with soap right now young man" Severus' voice said from the door. Harry jumped he had not heard the door open.

"Anyone who calls my son a freak will feel my wrath, including you" Snape said and put a tray with a bowl of stew and a glass of pumpkin juice on the bed.

"You don't mind?" Harry said still unsure.

Severus shook his head "No. As a matter of fact I have a proposal for you."

-------

Harry and Severus walked into the crowded Diagon Alley. Severus looked at all of the families. The biggest difference he had seen in coming back was the amount of wizards and witches around. He mused that because of Grindelwald and Dumbledore more than forty magical family lines had completely disappeared in the future.  The carnage had not yet started. Severus hoped they really could save them.

He looked at Harry who was mournfully looking at the Owl Emporium. Severus knew the boy was remembering his beloved familiar Hedwig. Harry had lost so much and experienced so much pain. It was no wonder the boy could not sleep. Severus remembered his first few months as a Death Eater; he did not sleep much back then as well.

Their first stop was Ollivanders. The man looked the same, which they both found really creepy.  Severus got a new wand. It was oak and dragon heartstring.

They then went to Gringotts which was crowded, each teller had long lines. Severus let out a frustrated sigh and went into the line to the nearest teller. Harry shook his head and went to one of the guards at the door.

"We need your help" Harry said and then taking out the ring Ragnog gave him said "We were told we could seek sanctuary."

The guard looked at him and looked at the ring and told him to follow. Harry looked at the scowling Severus who came up to them and they followed the guard to the back.  They were taken to a private office and a pleasant and obviously noble goblin came in, he had on rich purple and gold robes.

"Good day my Lords, I am Magnus, Head of Gringotts. I have been told you have asked for sanctuary?" The goblin stated and nodded when Harry gave him the ring. Severus immediately said something in gobbledygook and the goblin smiled.

They spoke for a few seconds and then Severus gestured to Harry.

Magnus turned to Harry and stated in English "As I was just telling your companion once sanctuary is called upon, it is given, we do not ask any questions. Now, we will aid you with new identities and if you need it, a start-up of an account with 50 galleons, which should see you for a few months, until you get settled. We could also help you get a room to rent and possibly a job..."

"The start-up capital is not necessary, I have about 100 galleons on me" Severus said.

"Severus?"

"That money is yours we will discuss details later" Severus said sternly.  Harry had told Severus about the vault trunks and the money in it.

"Are you angry with me? I am sorry, I just..." Harry put his head in his hands; he looked like he was going to scream.

The Goblin looked at the two and said "I will go and get you a goblet of water." The goblin left the room. Severus knew he was giving them some time alone.

"Harry, I am not angry. I am a little disappointed that you did not take up my offer to have you de-age and start all over but your reasoning was sound. We are in a strange time and we don't know what dangers are around."

"Yes but you said I would still be your son, that you were my father" Harry said.

"Yes. You are still upset I will not take the money. Harry you are my son but you are an adult and that money is yours, your family's."

"You are my family now and while I don't think it is safe to de-age to a baby, I really don't want to be an adult right now" Harry said.

Severus nodded "Albus wanted you for your money. From what I saw in your memories the Weasleys, Hermione they all wanted you for your money. I don't want you thinking that I am using you to get to your money. I am the father; I am supposed to provide for you and not the other way around. You offered me the potions ingredients Kreacher packed; I will accept that and start a potions business. We agreed to use some of your money to buy a house. I think that will be more than enough."

Harry nodded "You told me that Albus used your heritage to finance his war. Severus you don't really understand. One of the reasons I am so drawn to you is that I see you as my future... meaning if Dumbledore had his way I would have turned out to be just like you. Most of what he did to me, he did to you. I don't want you to think of the money as mine. Think of it as spoils of the war we just left. The things that are purely Potter or Black which are the books and jewellery and such I will keep, but the gold I think should be split fifty fifty."

Severus thought about it. Then Harry said "Think of it as the perfect revenge against my dad and Sirius."

Severus smiled and said "The perfect revenge is you calling me Dad. Okay I will accept the money."

Harry smiled "Thanks Dad."

Severus went to the door and saw the goblin talking with other goblins and signing some papers. Magnus nodded and came back in and smiled. "So you indicated you have some money?"

Severus nodded and Harry took out the two shrunken trunks and put them on the desk. Severus explained "One has books, the other gold and other things. We will be depositing the gold equally into two vaults; one in my name and one in his."

The goblin nodded and looked at the trunks "These are Gringotts vault trunks. You are Lords..." the goblin looked at them confused but then shook his head. "It matters not, with sanctuary you are given new identities and new family histories. If you have items that will tie you to a family and reveal your true identity, I would advise you either destroy them or lock them away in a secure vault."

"I will leave them all in one of the vault trunks and put a password on it that no one would be able to say but me" Harry said and the goblin nodded.

"We had started getting some documents together" Harry said and passed Magnus the papers.

The goblin looked at the documents and his eyebrow went up and after a minute said "You want to establish yourselves as father and son.  That should not be a problem.  Severus I see you are thirty eight and Harry you are almost eighteen and a legal adult; do you want that to change?"

"No that is fine" Severus said.

"And Severus you are a potions master. That is a very small community. I can get you an appointment with the Head of the Department of Mysteries in the Ministry. He can have you evaluated and help you establish a place in the potions community. He is one of a few who can establish a new life for someone declaring sanctuary. He is a trustworthy individual and is magically bound not to reveal anything he learns about you" Magnus said and Severus nodded.

Magnus turned to Harry "You have done several OWLs but not NEWTs, do you want me to get you a place at Hogwarts to do your NEWTs. You are small in size and can pass for sixteen, if we put you at that age, you can safely start sixth year going in as a NEWT student."

Severus looked at Harry who had gone pale. Severus looked at Magnus "I think it would be best if I home school him and do the exams privately next year." Magnus nodded.

"I see you are keeping your first names, which is good. Harry I see your middle name is James, which I assume is the name of your birth father. It is a tradition that purebloods give their first born son their name as a middle name. Since Severus will now be your father, will you want to change your middle name?"

Severus looked at the boy who was obviously battling something inside him. "We are not purebloods and I thought it would be best to say I am a muggleborn and that Harry is a half blood. It would solve the problem of having to provide family heritage charts."

Magnus nodded "That is your choice however I have to warn you... In this time great importance is placed on blood lines. No matter how brilliant your potions are, you will not get a job higher than a potions assistant and any new inventions you want to put forward will not be accepted. There are no laws against it but informally it is the way things are done. You will not be able to buy a proper manor nor would you make the impact I assume you want to make in this time line."

Severus and Harry looked at the goblin in shock.

Magnus smiled "Your documents have future dates on them."

Harry slapped his forehead; he had forgotten that the documents had been done for their time. He looked at Severus who looked pale; it was obvious that he too had not realised the error.

Magnus put up his hand "before you try to obliviate me, those spells don't work in Gringotts. Now I realise you two are from the future, however you both look like you escaped from a terrible experience. I have seen the faces of those who have survived war too many times for me not to recognise it. While it is definitely a first for me as I have never heard of any one being able to time travel more than a few hours, it matters not to me. You have declared sanctuary and we ask no questions. You will get all the help you need. Now I know in the future things may have changed drastically but right now there are still a lot of prejudices. My advice would be to pass yourselves as purebloods. There are a few lines that have been wiped out over time and I could have you passed off as a long lost cousin. Once Gringotts approves and I get Fisher from the Department of Mysteries to publically recognise you, no one will question it."

Harry just looked at Severus as if asking him to make the decision. Severus nodded. They then went through several family heritages and finally Severus indicated he knew of one line from France that had died out. Severus' great-great grandmother was a Reiner, her brother who was the last male in the line had gone on a trip around the world and they never knew what happened to him, except that one day five years after he left, the goblins came and informed the family that his will had been activated, which indicated that he had died.

Magnus clapped his hands and the file on the Reiner family appeared. He looked at it and nodded. "Yes that would be most appropriate."

Severus then officially became Severus Tobias Reiner and Harry became Henri (he found it sounded more exotic and he could be still called Harry) Severus James Reiner.

They spent an hour, separating the items into the two trunks. Magnus did not go with them to allow them their privacy. The goblin almost fainted when they did hand over the gold they did have and it was magically counted as close to fifty million galleons.  After allowing himself a few minutes to catch himself, he told them that that amount even spilt in two will be questioned so he advised them to split it into many vaults in several branches of Gringotts.

When they had finished it was late and Magnus provided them with dinner and told them he would organise somewhere for them to stay until they found a home. They had looked at the pictures and folders of several muggle manors that were for sale that could be turned into magical homes (Magnus advised that this was better than choosing one that was from a magical family as that often caused confusion).  Severus and Harry had chosen two different manors they liked. Severus liked a manor in Manchester and Harry an old castle in Scotland. Magnus said that once they were settled he would organise for them to view both places.

At ten in the night, Magnus took both Harry and Severus to the Department of Mysteries to meet Fisher. The Ministry was empty and Magnus said it was better this way. Fisher was a tall man who had no real distinguishable features. Severus quietly explained to Harry that unspeakables were like secret agents and that Fisher would have been a code name and his look was a magical disguise to hide his true identity.

Fisher told Severus that Magnus had explained that he was a potions master who had declared sanctuary. Severus nodded. Fisher had organised with the department's top potions master (whose code name was Potions Master), to test him. Fisher assured him that magically they were bound not to reveal anything once sanctuary was called.

Fisher took Severus in to be tested by Potions Master and Magnus left to organise a few things for the two wizards. Fisher came back into the waiting room and looked at Harry who looked tired. "Do you want me to provide you with somewhere to sleep? Your father would possibly be a few hours."

Harry shook his head "I can't sleep, the only thing that works is an occlumency shield, which dad has to help with."

Fisher nodded and after a few minute said "I assume you two have fled some war. I too could not sleep after I came from the last war, actually I had to have some memories obliviated and others magically blocked just so I could sleep. I assume you are trying to learn occlumency?"

Harry shook his head "Tried but I can't do it. Dad has a potion that would erase my memories but... it's hard to let go, there is too much danger." Harry did not know why he trusted this man. There was just something about him that made Harry feel comfortable.

Fisher nodded "It is hard I know, believe me I know.  All those who declare sanctuary have done so because they were in great danger or they had so horrible pasts that they needed to start over. You both look like you have terrible pasts but you have both chosen to start over. I know Severus is not your real father but you have chosen him to be. It all comes down to whether you trust him enough to guide you down the right path and help make decisions for you." 

Harry looked at him with a strange expression and Fisher smiled. "You are of age and yet chose to have him be your father."

Fisher stood up and said "Come let's take a walk and I will show you around." 

They walked around and Harry saw several areas that he had seen before. Fisher raised an eyebrow when Harry told him he did not want to see the death veil.

Finally Fisher asked Harry if he would like a familiar. The boy thought of it and nodded. Fisher took him to a large room. There were several animals, most were confiscated in different raids. Fisher told him to look around and see if there was any animal he felt drawn to. Harry walked around and looked at the various creatures. There were the usual dogs, cats and owls. Then there were the magical creatures, nifflers, kneazles and even a baby dragon and a few unicorn foals. Harry absently told Fisher they should send the unicorns to the herd at Hogwarts and the dragon to the reserve in Romania.

Then Harry heard someone calling him. He turned and smiled. There was an area sectioned off and was blocked by glass. This area was filled with snakes of all kind. The one that was calling him was a wily black mamba who was calling him over. The snake thought it was hypnotising Harry and was trying to get him to open the door.

Harry laughed "[Do I look stupid to you. Only the weak can be hypnotised and I am not weak.]"

Immediately all of the snakes and one human voice said "You are a parselmouth."

 

To be continued...


This story archived at http://www.potionsandsnitches.org/fanfiction/viewstory.php?sid=2311