Changing the Past by Keats
Summary: Based on the challenge Changing the Past by shigeki11: Severus and Harry have survived the final battle, however on the very night as Hogwarts sleep a Dark Lord from the past resurfaces and Hogwarts is destroyed. They journey to the past and adopt the toddler Tom Riddle in order to save the future. How much can they really change when some things seem destined to happen. Set partially during World War II where conditions of war exist; implied rape, implied torture though not of main characters (nothing graphic). Bad Dumbledore. Implied Dumbledore/Grindelwald.
Categories: Snape Equal Status to Harry > Comrades Snape and Harry Main Characters: .Snape and Harry (required), Dumbledore, McGonagall, Original Character, Voldemort
Snape Flavour: None
Genres: Drama, Family, Hurt/Comfort
Media Type: None
Tags: Adoption, Child fic, Deaging, Slytherin!Harry, Time Travel
Takes Place: 0 - Before Harry is born, 8 - Post Hogwarts (young adult Harry)
Warnings: Character Bashing, Physical Punishment Spanking, Rape
Prompts: Changing the Past
Challenges: Changing the Past
Series: None
Chapters: 12 Completed: No Word count: 67796 Read: 63186 Published: 22 Sep 2010 Updated: 12 Jan 2011
Chapter 4: Marvolo Gaunt by Keats
 

Severus was busy brewing a complicated potion when his personal house elf Nip came in. He had purchased Nip and his family at the first house-elf auction he had gone to almost two years ago. The man who previously owned the family had badly abused them and had almost whipped Nip to death, after the house-elf had tried to stop a very drunk man from purchasing his daughter.  Severus had to stop himself from trouncing the man. He bought the entire family and Nip swore his allegiance for life. The house-elf was educated and often helped Severus in the lab.

"Yes, Nip."

"Mr. John is here. He said it is urgent that he sees you," Nip said.

"I am in a delicate stage right now; tell John to come to the lab" Severus said.

John was John Lestrange, Fisher's real identity.

A month after he had adopted Tom, the orphanage had been attacked and was burnt to the ground. Had it been in his time, he would have said it was a Death Eater attack.  Severus had previously organised with the Unspeakables to put certain monitoring charms on the orphanage, so they were notified and were able to get most of the children out. Two toddlers and the plump woman Hattie, who Severus had met, perished in the fire.  Severus had funded a new fully furnished facility for the orphanage which was now located in a large estate outside of London. 

After that attack, Severus told Fisher, Potions Master and Shadow his real story. He confessed who Tom really was; his life, including being a Death Eater, and Harry's whole life, including how they came back; and about Dumbledore and Grindelwald. After that the three revealed their true identities. He already knew Shadow's real form as she had revealed it to the children; her name was Hippona Sarah Morgan, she was a widow and had actually been a Malfoy before she was married (her brother Hyperion was Lucius Malfoy's grandfather). Potions Master was Gaylord Gadolin, Europe's top Potions Master; he was Finnish by birth but had sought asylum in Britain during World War 1. The potions master had publically announced Severus as his apprentice and potions partner.

The most shocking of the three however was Fisher. The fact that he was a Lestrange wasn't the shocking part, but the fact that he was almost the spitting image of Remus was.  He was bigger in size, had blue eyes, had a thin moustache and trimmed beard, but he was Remus. Severus knew that Remus' parents had changed their name after Remus was attacked because they had decided to keep him and not kill him. Severus assumed John was Remus' grandfather.  Despite looking like Remus, John had become Severus' best friend.

John came in and Severus waved his hand in the direction of a lab stool. John sighed, but sat. After five minutes, the potion had left the critical stage and Severus was able to put it in stasis.  He looked up at John.

"Okay, who died?" Severus said.

"No one... yet" John said.

"Let me guess that idiot apprentice Cetus Black destroyed my lab," Severus said guessing. Officially, Severus was an unspeakable (his code name was Aconite), but he mostly concentrated on potions and worked from home. He did have an assigned lab in the Ministry and went twice a week to check up on them (and harass Sarah).  Cetus Black was his assigned Apprentice. Like his great, great niece Nymphadora, the man was brilliant but a bit of a klutz and tended to break things, which was dangerous in a potions lab.

"No," John said sadly. 

Severus looked at the man. Something was definitely wrong; usually they enjoyed a friendly banter on Black's expense.

"John, what's wrong?" Severus asked seriously.

"Marvolo Gaunt came into the Ministry today asking to find his grandson.  He claimed that he had been looking for years for the whereabouts of his daughter and recently found out she had died giving birth to a son, someone who is his heir.  He has made a formal request to search for his missing grandson."

Severus felt like he had stopped breathing; this was not happening. "Albus... how dare he do this. No, I am not going to lose him; Tommy is my son. This did not happen before, Marvolo died before Tommy was born."

"Severus I don't know what to tell you. The man who came in today provided proof of his identity and started speaking parseltongue. I assume he was cursing."

"But Marvolo wanted nothing to do with his daughter, who abandoned her heritage by going with a muggle. He doesn't want Tommy, he wants the money... they don't care for him, I do. Harry does. He is my son."

 

"I really don't know his reasoning but... he... he has a legitimate claim Severus; he is Tom's blood relative," John said.

Severus shook his head.  "For two years Tommy has lived as my son. Two years... he cannot remember the orphanage. I am the only parent he has known. He and Harry are brothers. You cannot do this. I will fight..."

"Severus, calm down. You know I love Tommy and Harry as if they are my blood kin. I am closer to them than to my brother's children. I am here for you. We will figure this out together," John said, putting his hand on his friend's shoulder.

------

Marvolo Gaunt looked at the small wooden house that at one time used to be his dilapidated run down shack. It had taken a long time to build this home, but it was worth it. 

He opened the door and went inside; it was simple but homey. It reminded him of how things were when his wife Mafalda was alive. She had died when Merope was five. She would keep the place clean and used to fix things up.  He sighed. Mafalda was dead, so was Merope and now Morfin was away with that Grindelwald fellow. Morfin was given the chance he had never gotten; to explore the world.

He started eating his dinner at the dining table and thought about the last five years. 

Going to Azkaban had changed his life. For most of the six months, the dementors, for some reason never came near him.  He did have strange visions of Mafalda coming out of his ring and talking with him.  A week before he was scheduled to be released, his ring started burning; Mafalda came one last time. She told him that his ancestor, who had first gotten the ring, had gone mad and since then the madness had cursed the men in the family. She told him the true master of the ring was calling for it and told him he had to let it go; if he did then the family could heal. For the first time since his father had died, he took it off. There was a bright burst of light and it was gone.

After the ring disappeared, the dementors came and he saw the suffering he had caused.  His mind had cleared, but was plagued with the guilt of his madness.  When he was released, he went home and discovered his daughter gone. At first he was angry, but then as his mind cleared more and more, and his guilt increased, he knew that she had done what was best for her. 

He started to build his home; the forest provided the wood and his magic helped him do what was needed. He had been taught by his mother's father to carve items from wood using his magic.  So slowly, he built a small home, first with only a living room, kitchen and bedroom all with wooden furniture. He was on the second bedroom which was for his son Morfin when he came out of Azkaban, when Thomas Riddle came home... without Merope.

When he had left Azkaban, the Ministry had given him a set of robes and one set of muggle clothes, as he lived in a muggle area. He put on the muggle clothes (a pair of black trousers and a green shirt) and went to the Riddle Manor.  Since the madness had left him, he found himself more tolerant of the muggles and did not get into the raging anger that he used to get into. Now he actually found them pleasant.

Benedict Riddle had been outraged when he saw Marvolo and told him what his son Tom had gone through with his daughter, and now Tom was mad, talking about Merope putting a spell on him. Marvolo confessed to Benedict that Tom was not mad and he was telling the truth about Merope. He told the elder Riddle that he was a wizard and all about the magical world. He told them about the curse on his family and how all of this was his fault.  He apologised to them, both for his son and now his daughter who in all essence had raped Tom.  The Riddles agreed not to say anything about the magical world as people would think them mad. Tom told him where he had left the pregnant Merope.  Marvolo told them he would make sure that they would not be bothered again by his family.

Marvolo had searched for Merope and had not found her; he even asked someone in the Ministry for help, but the girl was an adult and they said she was within her right not to contact him if she did not want to. After a while he resigned himself that she was gone and promised if she ever returned she would be welcomed home and built a room for her.

When Morfin came home, it had taken him a while to physically heal, but the boy was like the living dead. Then, two weeks ago, the wizard Dumbledore approached him and told him about his grandson. Dumbledore told him that Merope had died giving birth to a son whom she named Tom Marvolo Riddle. The boy had been placed in an orphan home and had been adopted.  He had told Marvolo that he had tried to adopt the boy but corrupt people in the Ministry had taken him and placed him with people who wanted to use the boy for his heritage.

Dumbledore gave him two galleons to help him in his search for young Tom.  Morfin seemed to take to Dumbledore and his friend Grindelwald, and had gone with the blond on some adventure.  Marvolo did not trust the two wizards but he knew he could use them to find his grandson.  He did not begrudge Morfin for wanting adventure and had to admit that it was the first time in the year since he had left Azkaban, that his son seemed alive.

Even without the curse Morfin was an idiot and had an IQ of a sheep, but Dumbledore said this boy, this little Marvolo, was powerful; he could learn things. Marvolo knew that he was the only wizard alive who could teach his grandson about his heritage... his true heritage.  He had gone to the orphanage and was told that the Ministry of Magic was the only one who could tell him the whereabouts of his grandson. Mrs. Cole assured him that the man who adopted Tom was a good man.

After dinner he looked at the room he had once built for Merope and now needed to change for his grandson; it had a bed, chest of drawers and a bedside table but it was missing something. He went to the forest at the side of the house, and cut down a stout branch of a tree. He used his magic and cleared it and carried it to the side of the building.  He sat down and then, using his magic, carved the wooden hippogriff. By nightfall, he placed the wooden rocking hippogriff in the little boy's room. That was much better.

-----

Marvolo Gaunt was carving a foot tall wooden wizard when he felt the presence of others; he smelt them coming... wizards.

He put the half-finished toy down and moved to the side when he was surrounded by three powerful wizards in black robes... he had met these kind before and knew when to back down.

"What do you want, unspeakable?" Marvolo asked.

"Answer me truthfully; why are you looking for your grandson?"

"He is my grandson and I want him."

"He is a half-blood, part muggle."

"I know. His father lives in the house on the hill. Merope left a note told me what she'd done. I asked the boy when he returned, told me he left her. I searched for her but could not find her.  Then a wizard comes and tells me she died giving birth to a son... he may be half muggle but the other half is mine."

"And this has nothing to do with the Slytherin vaults?" the cold voice said.

"There is more to the Slytherin heritage than gold," Marvolo said seriously.

"If I arrange for you to have enough money for you and your son to live comfortably, will you leave the boy alone?"

"The boy is my heir," Marvolo said "She named him for me... she remembered the old ways and named him my heir."

Marvolo saw one of the unspeakables look at the wooden wizard he was carving. "You are making that for the boy?"

"It is none of your business but yes, a child needs toys".

"A child needs a parent who would love and take care of him.  Your grandson is in a loving family, with a father who cares about him and has a brother to play with and who thinks the world of him."

"There are things only I could teach him."

"Dumbledore and Grindelwald want the Slytherin gold and they want the boy as a weapon. I am sure they made a deal with you but they are using you to get the vaults."

Marvolo knew the man was telling the truth, he always knew when people lied; he hated liars. He knew Dumbledore and Grindelwald were liars but he was able to use them to get what he wanted.  Marvolo looked at the unspeakable, his robes covered his face and he looked like some human dementor, but there was something about him...

"You have him don't you... you took him to your home," Marvolo stated.

Aconite did not say anything.

Mavolo nodded. "Dumbledore said he would help me with the boy and would give me a galleon a month to help with expenses, and when he was old enough, more.  It is not the money; I could teach the boy about his magic, his heritage... you love him but he is my blood, my only real heir."

Aconite walked away and Fisher and Shadow followed.  Marvolo felt when they left.

----

"You know on some level he cares for Tommy," Sarah told Severus.

"Tommy is my son... my son," Severus said with tears in his eyes.

John looked at Sarah and the woman went to Severus, kneeling before him. "How would you feel Severus, if Harry disappeared and then you found out he died and had a child. You would fight tooth and nail to find that child, wouldn't you? I know you love Tommy. I am not saying to give him up. How about a compromise?"

Severus looked up at her questioningly.

Sarah explained. "Marvolo is right, as a parselmouth he can train Tommy and even Harry. Offer him a chance to be Grandpa."

"I don't know, the stories I have heard about Marvolo. He is a convicted felon," Severus said.

"I don't mean to be cruel, but so are you and you changed," Sarah said. Severus glared at her but she was immune to him.

"Severus, give him a chance and if he still wants to fight, you know we will help you fight. We will not let Grindelwald get his hands on Tommy, you know that," John said.

Severus nodded.

------

Marvolo was actually nervous; he had spent the night making a toy chest to put in the toys he had made.  The wizard came in; he was dressed in green and gold robes.

Marvolo looked at man closely; he looked around thirty (Severus had taken Harry's advice and fixed himself up), he had onyx eyes and he was handsome in a manly sort of way. He looked powerful and was very serious. Marvolo smelt his scent; he was the unspeakable who had come.

"I was surprised to get your invitation," Marvolo said.

"You were right, Tommy is your heir but I want you to understand that he is also my son and part of my family. I do not want to prevent you from seeing him, but he is my son," Severus said.

Marvolo nodded. This man truly loved his grandson.

"Are you ready?" Severus asked.

Marvolo picked up the heavy wooden chest and nodded.  In a flash, they were in a beautiful landscaped area, with a river and a lake on one side and a castle on the other. The castle was still being built, but Marvolo marvelled at how magnificent it already looked. He felt an immediate sense of peace, as if he was home.

"This place is truly magnificent!" Marvolo said in awe.

"I purchased this land two years ago and it really was just bush and rocks. Harry, my older son, absolutely loved it. He insisted I buy it and pestered me until I did. He drew the design of what he wanted and well... it has been a project of mine since then. I am really doing it for him," Severus said and Marvolo nodded.

Two goblins came running to Severus and one presented him with four dead quails, and the other held up six fish.  They bowed and ran off.

"I hired the goblins to rebuild the castle and have given them permission to hunt on the land. They present me with part of their hunt for my table."

Marvolo nodded, it was part of the old ways. He smiled when the house-elf came in and took the quail and fish and had bowed reverently.

They reached the small area which was the habitable residence. Marvolo saw another man and two women. The man and one of the women he had smelt before, these were the other unspeakables.  He looked around there were three little boys. He immediately made out Tommy; he was the image of the muggle Riddle.  It was definitely the muggle's child but he felt the strong magic, he smelt his blood.

Severus was right, he would very powerful.

Severus called Tommy forward, the three and a half year old looked scared but looked up at one of the other two boys. The bigger boy, who looked like he was six, had the most magnificent green eyes Marvolo had ever seen and did actually have a look like Tommy. The older boy held Tommy's hand and brought him forward.

Severus took Tommy from the other boy. "Tommy, this is your grandfather Marvolo."

Tommy looked at Severus and then at the man "I am Marvolo, Tommy Marvolo Septimiusss Reiner."

Marvolo smiled at the boy spoke with a slight hiss; he was a speaker. He decided to take a chance. "[Your momma named you after me, it is a good name.]"

"[You speak snake too,]" Tommy said with a smile.

To Marvolo's surprise, the older boy also spoke. "[You are a parselmouth?]"

 Marvolo looked at Severus, "I do not smell my blood in him, yet he speaks?"

"Yes because of his mother he speaks, but he is not related to you. He is my son Harry and he and Tommy are now brothers."

Marvolo nodded. He assumed it was one of the reasons why the man had chosen to adopt Tommy, because he had the same gift his son had.

Marvolo looked at Harry. "[Yes, I can speak snake and I can turn into one too; do you want to see?]"

Both boys nodded and Tommy squealed happily when his grandfather turned into a large snake and then turned back. Harry looked on in shock and wonder.

Harry immediately turned to his father. "I want to be snake. Daddy, can I be snake too?"

Severus raised an eyebrow. "I don't know, but if you do, it would only be when you are older. You are still too young."

Harry pouted and folded his arms giving Severus a ‘Snape glare'. "[You always say that. I wanna be snake now.]"

Severus did not know what Harry had said but he recognised the signs of the start of a tantrum. "Harry lose the attitude now young man or you will spend time in the corner.  Don't think because we have guests I would not put you there."

Marvolo watched as Harry looked at Severus and unfolded his arms. Tommy had started copying his older brother but had backed down when his father had scolded Harry.

Harry apologized for his rudeness.

Severus nodded. Then Sarah turned to Harry and said, "Harry your magic is too small to turn into a snake now.  When you get big and your magic gets big, you could try but not now, you could hurt your magic if you try now. Okay?"

Harry looked disappointed but nodded.

Severus looked over at Marvolo and then told the boys, "I am sure Grandpa Marvolo would teach you both when you get older."

Tommy and Harry both look at Marvolo. Marvolo nodded and Harry told Tommy in parseltongue, "[I told you your Grandpa would be nice]"

Marvolo looked a bit uncomfortable and pushed the toy chest forward. "I made these for Tommy but I guess they could share."

Tommy got excited when he saw the toys and immediately jumped on the rocking hippogriff when Severus took it out of the chest and put it on the ground. Harry called the other little boy over and they started playing with the wooden wizards. Marvolo smiled as he watched the boys playing.

Lunch was fantastic and Marvolo found Severus and his friends to be distinguished wizards. He found out that Severus had two homes but tended to spend the weekends here at the castle.  Marvolo understood why Harry loved this place; it had a magical feel to it.

After lunch the Lestranges left, but Sarah stayed to give Severus support. Harry and Tommy took a nap and Sarah and Severus took Marvolo on a tour of the place.  The grounds were now landscaped but maintained its rugged wild feel that Severus actually loved.  They walked for a bit and then Severus surprised Marvolo by asking about his ring.

Marvolo told him all that happened in Azkaban and what his wife's image had told him about the curse; how when he let it go, it burst into light. He asked Severus how he knew about the ring.

Severus told him that it was one of the things he had taken an interest in. Marvolo considered it was probably an unspeakable thing.

Severus considered Marvolo; Death had ‘taken' the ring before he and Harry had come back in time. Death must have considered Marvolo as having a role to play in this new world and so had spared him. It explained why Marvolo was still alive. The last time Marvolo still had the ring and the curse had taken him; without the ring and without the curse, he had found the will to live and survive. It also meant that Death had taken the Hallows and that they did not exist anymore.

"I actually have something for you," Severus said and they moved back to the castle.  Severus brought an item in a box and presented it to Marvolo.

He opened the box and saw his locket. The Slytherin locket Merope had stolen.

"She pawned it at Burgins in the final months of her pregnancy. I found it and recognised it for what it was. I bought it and was leaving it for when Tommy came of age, but I believe it is rightfully yours."

"Thank you, I really appreciate it.  You are a good man and Tommy seems happy with your family." Marvolo gave Sarah a smile and both she and Severus blushed. Marvolo had asked earlier if Sarah was Severus' wife but they both said they were just friends. Marvolo knew that there was more there, the two obviously had feelings for each, other even if they denied it; he smelt it. Regardless, he knew that Sarah was a mother figure to Tommy.

"I want you to be a part of Tommy's life.  There are things that you could teach him that I can't. I am hoping you will train Harry as well. I do not know of any other parselmouths alive and Harry's family..." Severus paused looking for the right words, "there are none alive who can teach him."

Marvolo nodded. "I would really like that, thank you."

"If you want, you could have a room here in the castle," Severus offered.

Marvolo shook his head. "No thank you, I have my own home. You need to be a family. I will come to visit often enough."

Severus gave Marvolo a small mirror which he could use to contact him. 

"Do you want me to inform Riddle?" Marvolo asked.

Severus considered it for a moment and Sarah told him it would be best. If Albus could not get Tommy through Marvolo then he might approach Thomas Riddle since he was the boy's biological father. The Wizengamot would not turn Tommy over to Thomas, but it would not mean that Albus would not try to use him.

Marvolo told him the Riddles were aristocratic snobs, but Thomas had a right to know about the fate of his legal wife and son. He told them that after Dumbledore had told him about Merope that he had gone to inform the Riddles, but Benedict Riddle and his wife had gone on vacation and were to return in a few days.  He told them that Thomas was rebuilding his life and he had heard that he was now studying at Cambridge University.  Severus was glad; in the original time, Thomas had been locked away in the house until the young Voldemort had killed him and his parents when the boy was seventeen.

Severus gave Marvolo a picture of Tommy for him to keep and another muggle version for the Riddles if they wanted it. He gave Marvolo permission to inform them, but to make it clear that even if they wanted to they could not claim him and to warn them against wizards like Albus and Grindelwald.

-----

Two weeks later Marvolo was in his garden when he felt the presence of a muggle entering his property.  He stood up and walked to the front of his home. It was Thomas Riddle.

-----

Severus was dressed in navy blue robes and Tommy was in baby blue robes when they apparated to the outskirts of Little Hangleton.  They entered Marvolo's property and Tommy looked around excitingly.

Marvolo opened the door before they reached it.  As they entered the house, Severus saw Thomas Riddle; he looked like a younger version of the Voldemort he met as a youth. He involuntarily shuddered.

Thomas kept staring at what could only be his son and was secretly glad he looked nothing like Merope. When his father had come to his University apartment and told him that Gaunt had informed them that Merope was dead, he cried... he was free. He could truly live his life. Then his father had informed him that he had a son who Merope had named Tom Riddle, but the boy had been put up for adoption and was now living with a magical family and had his name changed.  He was at first relieved when he was told he was not legally responsible for the child in any form or fashion, but then his father showed him the picture of the boy.

Now the little boy was in front of him. 

Thomas looked at the man who had adopted Tom. He was stern looking and had a confident and powerful way about him. Thomas felt as if he were in the presence of his high school Headmaster. The man, however, had a soft look in his eyes when he looked at the little boy.

Thomas Riddle did not know what to say and then Severus introduce Tommy to his biological father.

"Hello, Daddy saysss you are Tom like me," the boy said.

Thomas smiled. "Yes. I am Thomas but called Tom."

"I am Tom but called Tommy," the boy said firmly and Thomas had to laugh.

"Daddy saysss you have no magic."

"No. I am what you call a muggle" Tom said.

"Harry saysss mugglesss have their own magic called science," Tommy said.

"Yes, I am studying science. I am studying to be a doctor," Tom said and Tommy looked at Severus who told him Tom was studying to be a muggle healer and Tommy nodded.

"Aunty Sarah isss my healer and Daddy saysss I have to take shotsss but I don't like it," Tommy said twisting up his face.

"No, no one likes taking shots but it is very important," Tom replied.

"Yes, Daddy saysss I would get sick if I no take nasty shotsss and then you have to stay in bed all day. Harry did not take his shotsss and was sick for a whole week," Tommy said.

Severus gave Marvolo a look that he understood.

Marvolo asked Tommy if he wanted to help him make another wizard for his collection; Tommy jumped up in excitement and followed his grandfather outside.

Tom looked at Severus, who was looking at him as if looking into his soul.

Tom cleared his throat. "Tommy is obviously a happy intelligent boy; I have no intention of trying to take him away. I know he is a wizard like Merope and Gaunt and... like you. I cannot... he is better off with you."

"Even if you wanted, Wizarding law will not allow you to keep him, but I am glad you approve. Riddle, I want to make certain things clear to you. Tommy is nothing like Merope or Marvolo in power; he is exceedingly powerful. What power Merope had is like a drop of water compared to the bucket that Tommy has. I am sorry for what Merope did to you, but you understand in a horrible way what wizards could do to muggles. There are some wizards like myself and most in the Ministry of Magic who simply want to maintain the peace between the two worlds. For the most part that peace is kept, but at times there are wizards who wish to abuse their power. There is a wizard... actually two wizards... who wish to break that peace and right now are looking for Tommy."

Tom immediately looked concerned. "Why?  Because he is powerful?"

"Yes, Tommy is not only powerful; he is the heir to a noble line."

"The Slytherin line, Merope told me about them... I have all the memories of my time with her. She told me about her noble heritage."

Severus nodded. "The Slytherin line is highly revered in our world and Tommy is the heir. While it is important to have the blood line, you must also have the magical power which neither Merope nor her father has, however Tommy definitely has the power. He can claim the heritage. When I adopted Tommy, I intended on hiding him until he was able to fight on his own. These wizards tried to get him through Marvolo but he has agreed to leave Tommy with me... they may try to get him through you."

"I thought you said Wizarding law would not allow me to have Tommy?"

"They wouldn't; but it does not mean they would not try.  They want Tommy and his power and his wealth. The Slytherin vaults are filled with more money than you could imagine and only Tommy can access it."

"What about you?  Wouldn't you be able to access the wealth through Tommy? What are your plans for him?  Are you going to use his power?"

"I am a very powerful wizard in my own right. I have more wealth than what is in the Slytherin vaults. I will seal the vaults for him until he reaches adulthood."

"So you can protect him?"

"Yes.  And train him to control his magic. I have another son, Harry who is also powerful. I am training them both."

"He seems very intelligent."

"Which comes from you. Cambridge University does not take in dunderheads," Severus said and Tom laughed.

Severus continued. "His magic allows him to learn quickly. I have started teaching him how to read and write and other basics. He is going to be a challenge, but I think I am up for it."

Tom nodded and then said, "Tommy speaks strangely; he sort of hisses. I remember Morfin use to have a snake."

"Yes, like Merope and Marvolo and my other son Harry, Tommy can speak to snakes. In the magical world, there are several types of magic and this is akin to animal magic. Some wizards can talk to animals; some can turn into an animal. My mother could turn into a cat, her godson could turn into a stag and one of his friends could turn into a dog. It is all magic. He and Harry often speak the snake language when they are alone; especially when they are planning their tricks and pranks. However, I have been trying to get Tommy to control his hisses when he speaks in English."

Tom nodded and then said, "It is strange for me, and to be honest I am a bit uncomfortable with it all but I want to understand."

Severus nodded. "That is logical because of what Merope did to you.  She had no right to and had she lived and the Ministry of Magic found out, she would have been jailed."

"While it was a violation of the worst kind, part of me is a bit glad; Tommy is a beautiful child. If you don't mind, I would like to see him from time to time."

Severus nodded and gave him a card with his address. "You can send a letter here, the muggle way if you want, or you can send a message to Marvolo; he will reach us.  If you wish to, you may join us for Christmas dinner; your parents too if they want."

"Thank you," Tom said shaking Severus's hand. They went outside and saw Marvolo sitting on a bench with Tommy sitting in amazement as his grandfather passed his wand over the piece of wood and the magic sculptured the wood.

Tommy looked up as he saw his daddy and Tom. "Daddy look! Grandpa Marvolo isss making me a new wizard! Tom, come see!"

Tom looked on as Marvolo used his magic to make the beautifully sculpted wooden wizard. He then considered the wooden furniture in the house. "Mr. Gaunt, did you make all the furniture in the house as well?"

"Yes."

"It is all very beautiful, you are very talented. Would you consider making a custom piece for sale?" Tom asked.

Marvolo stopped what he was doing and looked at Tom. "You mean, sell to muggles?"

Tom passed his hand through his hair. "If you do not I would not be offended, but what you are doing is really beautiful and I saw some of the pieces inside. It is better than some of the things I have seen in London."

"Yes, Marvolo.  The toy chest and the toys you did for Tommy and Harry are exquisite. Even Sarah's brother Hyperion asked where we had gotten them as he wanted to purchase a rocking hippogriff for his son. If you wanted Marvolo, you could have a lot of sales both in the magical world and in the muggle world."

Marvolo considered it and then said, "Severus, if you help me with the prices and stuff I don't mind; I am not really doing much with my time."

Severus smiled. He hoped this started better relations between muggles and wizards.

 

To be continued...
End Notes:
Special thanks to hpfan4life for helping me beta this chapter.


This story archived at http://www.potionsandsnitches.org/fanfiction/viewstory.php?sid=2311