Changing the Past by Keats
Summary: Based on the challenge Changing the Past by shigeki11: Severus and Harry have survived the final battle, however on the very night as Hogwarts sleep a Dark Lord from the past resurfaces and Hogwarts is destroyed. They journey to the past and adopt the toddler Tom Riddle in order to save the future. How much can they really change when some things seem destined to happen. Set partially during World War II where conditions of war exist; implied rape, implied torture though not of main characters (nothing graphic). Bad Dumbledore. Implied Dumbledore/Grindelwald.
Categories: Snape Equal Status to Harry > Comrades Snape and Harry Main Characters: .Snape and Harry (required), Dumbledore, McGonagall, Original Character, Voldemort
Snape Flavour: None
Genres: Drama, Family, Hurt/Comfort
Media Type: None
Tags: Adoption, Child fic, Deaging, Slytherin!Harry, Time Travel
Takes Place: 0 - Before Harry is born, 8 - Post Hogwarts (young adult Harry)
Warnings: Character Bashing, Physical Punishment Spanking, Rape
Prompts: Changing the Past
Challenges: Changing the Past
Series: None
Chapters: 12 Completed: No Word count: 67796 Read: 63187 Published: 22 Sep 2010 Updated: 12 Jan 2011

1. Chapter 1: A Dark Lord Returns by Keats

2. Chapter 2: A New Time and A New Life by Keats

3. Chapter 3: Saving One Saves All by Keats

4. Chapter 4: Marvolo Gaunt by Keats

5. Chapter 5: Greatest Wizard in the World by Keats

6. Chapter 6: A Year to Remember by Keats

7. Chapter 7: Phoenix Child by Keats

8. Chapter 8: Hogwarts First Year by Keats

9. Chapter 9: A Father's Son by Keats

10. Chapter 10: War by Keats

11. Chapter 11: Not A Real Slytherin by Keats

12. Chapter 12: Battle of the Snakes by Keats

Chapter 1: A Dark Lord Returns by Keats
Author's Notes:
Originally meant for 2010 Challenge Fest but time and personal events did not allow to post. Hope you enjoy
 

Severus' head hurt, he wanted to rip his eyes out of his head and his throat was on fire, his back pained as he lay on the cold damp floor of the Shrieking Shack.  He had used his last muscle movements to give Harry Potter his memories... memories that would explain his actions; a final reconciliation on Severus' part.  He hoped it got him into heaven.

Severus cursed as his muscles froze up.  That blasted snake Nagini, he hoped she suffered painfully, he hoped that Harry would use some curse on the snake that would make her suffer.  If the snake's poison didn't have him paralysed, he'd smirk. He knew however that Harry Potter was the Gryffindor Golden Boy Poster Child, he would not make the snake suffer, hell Severus was sure Harry would try as much as possible not to make Voldemort suffer. Voldemort who had killed Harry's parents, Voldemort who had tried to destroy all of the non-magical world and part of the magical world, Voldemort Harry's archenemy. No Harry was too good a person, to innocent, to sweet, too much of a blasted brat to check to see if Severus was really dead.

He groaned this was his final punishment, to lie on the ground, suffering the indignity of being laid out like some slab of meat.  Severus was thankful that they were not in the muggle world where autopsies would be done. It was his worst nightmare, being picked apart like some potions ingredient.  He inwardly smirked, he started thinking of the potions ingredients that could be harvested from his body; his heart was good, his brain was top notch, his hair - a waste of time and his liver was shot... oh God.  Severus laughed in his mind, he was going to go mad long before the poison finally claimed him.

Wait that was not him laughing, someone was in the Shrieking Shack.

"Well well look what we have here, Tom really does not know how to pick up after himself" a male voice said.  Severus inwardly frowned; he did not know that voice.

"Now Gill, that is not respectful, Severus was a good friend." 

Okay that voice was familiar but where did he know it from. Severus was sure he heard this second man before.

"Don't get too sentimental Al. You know he has to die" the first voice said.

Okay so they are not friendly.

"We need him for a little while longer check him" the second voice ‘Al' said.

He felt the magic pass over him. The magical signature was strange. Severus definitely did not know this man.

"He is alive, weak but alive. The snake's poison is coursing through him, paralysing him. I am not getting much brain activity... he is most likely unconscious" Gill reported.

"Knowing Severus as I do, he probably is in some sort of occlumens state trying to slow down the poison until Harry returns" Al said. 

Severus snorted, so much he knows; he had already surrendered to Death, why would he prolong it.

Al continued "He always was a loyal follower. Maybe I will keep him". 

Severus concentrated that voice, it was younger, stronger but it sounded like... no it can't be... he was dead. Wait that's it I am already dead and this is purgatory.

"You will not, I forbid it, we have waited too long for this. I have no need for the greasy haired bastard. He'd turn on us the same way he turned on Tom" Gill said angrily.

"You know I never really trusted him but he had his uses. The Prince Estate was quite useful; those millions are what kept us going for the last fifteen years and I know you will love the manor. I have it all prepared for you" Al said.

If he could have moved Severus' eyes would have shown his surprise. What the...  wait what Prince Estate? Grandfather disowned me, there is no Prince Estate not any more... is there?

"Besides I think we could use him as barter against Harry. The boy is too well trained he will sacrifice his own power to save others. Severus gave him memories of his innocence. The boy will want to set him free. The boy will give up the Hallows to save him" Al said.

There was a minute of silence and Gill said "Okay save him but if you are wrong, he dies."

Severus mind reeled; Harry Potter... Harry Potter was the Master of the Deathly Hallows, whoever this is wants the Hallows. He felt a hot liquid burning into his neck, he felt it coursing through his body. Whoever this is was healing him; but what was the liquid? Severus thought ... phoenix tears, it is the only thing that could move so fast through my body and heal me so quickly.

While the phoenix tears was being poured Gill spoke "I thought that Voldemort and Harry had to kill each other?"

"No, Harry will kill Tom... he could have killed him at eleven if I had allowed it. I made sure and kept his magic suppressed until everything was set.  The prophecy was a fake or part of it was. Harry always had the ability to kill Tom."

"You know you never explained why I had to wait another six years in Nurmengard" Gill stated.

Nurmengard, okay I know that name... come on Sev use that brain of yours... Nurmengard, Gill, Al... you could do this.

"Because Harry Potter is now an adult; listen, even though I got control of the Potter and Black fortune it was never really mine, just like the Prince fortune. Tom also has been named the beneficiary of many of his followers' estate; I know Lestrange and McNair have named him as getting everything.  If they die which I am sure they will tonight, Tom gets their estate. Tom has no will and no children which means when Harry kills Tom, Harry gets everything. Harry has to name me his heir, just like Severus."

Severus mind reeled, Nurmengard, Gill, Al... Gillert Grindelwald and Albus Dumbledore... but they are dead...

The phoenix tears had now healed Severus and he slowly opened his eyes... he saw the two... they were younger much younger.  They looked 18 like the photo in Rita Skeeter's tell all book about the deceased Headmaster and Head of the Wizengamot. They should both be close to 100 years old... no they should be dead... he attended Albus' funeral (in secret), hell he cried at the funeral. 

"Ah Severus welcome back... good to see you my boy.  I know this may seem confusing and no you are not dead, you see Gillert and I both faked our deaths. Gillert was supposed to remain quietly in Germany however Voldemort found him and well we had to take steps and then I well... Albus Dumbledore had to go out with a bang didn't he" the man Severus had often thought of as a father laughed.

Severus looked at the twinkling blue eyes of the man who he had respected and admired. He opened his mouth and tried to speak. His throat was still raw "How?"

Dumbledore looked excited as if he was waiting to tell the story. "How? Simple...  Tom killed a polyjuiced house-elf thinking it was Gillert and me... well my death was even more spectacular... you see... and this was truly amazing. The philosopher's stone makes not only the elixir of life. It makes a special potion which banishes death... I discovered it a few years back, it essentially is a mixture of the elixir of life with dragon's blood. Dragons live hundreds of years so it in essence strengthens and prolongs life. I tested it first on little Harry and made sure that Voldemort was able to get him... it was all a test... Tom Riddle really was a powerful wizard so his killing curse would be possibly as strong as it could get. By testing it on Harry a powerful but underdeveloped babe, I was able to see all the side effects and such. It really is a fantastic potion. It still protects him even after almost sixteen years.  So I just made sure and took it before we left that night... otherwise your killing curse would have really killed me, it was just so brilliant.  Anyway in essence I was dead... for a few seconds and then the rest was easy."

"Young?" Severus whispered.

"Another brilliant potion from the stone... you know poor Nicholas really was twit, he never really used the stone to its fullest and when he did realise he locked it in that mirror. It took a lot for me to steal that mirror. Nicholas warded it against me but he never expected me to use Harry to get it."

Gillert smiled "Another brilliant plan."

"Yes it was wasn't it. Anyway I was able to create a youth formula, based on the formula you created for me, to save my hand which by the way worked marvellously, it not only restored my hand but made it look young again.  I kept a glamour on my hand and stored away the potion when you brought it for me.  So your formula mixed with the elixir of life made this beauty" Albus said taking out a potion's vial from his pocket, it had a purple liquid. "With it Gill and I have been restored to our prime... what use is it to live forever looking like an old hag... no we would be young and beautiful and immortal. We already have all the documents which show that we are the grandsons of our former selves."

"Harry?"

"Oh don't worry I am not going to kill Harry no... He is much too valuable. I need him alive... with Tom gone; he is going to be the only parselmouth alive.  I have all of the Slytherin books from the Chamber. I need to translate them, I need him. However he is going to be too much trouble as he is, so we are going to de-age him to a baby and raise him as our son. Of course this formula is slightly different from what we took. With this one he would not remember a thing" Albus said shaking the purple liquid again.

Whatever Severus was about to say went out of his head, he was hit with what felt like 100 cruciatus at once.  The pain in his arm... his heart... his core.  He passed out but not before he heard Albus laugh "Harry has done it, Voldemort is dead."

-----

It was late at night. The battle won. The dead were being taken care of and Harry Potter stood at the window in the seventh year boy's dormitory at Hogwarts. He had not attended school that year, spending his time on the road hunting for Voldemort's horcruxes.  He sighed as he watched Dean, Seamus and Neville sleep. He couldn't sleep, even the dreamless sleeping potion Madam Pomfrey had given him... even that had not worked. What was wrong with him?

Maybe some hot cocoa would work.  He grabbed one of Neville's robes (he had offered Harry earlier) and instinctively took up his invisibility cloak and his wand... the two wands.  After a year on the run, it was now habit to walk with his cloak and wand everywhere.

As he walked down to the kitchen, he looked at the Elder Wand, it was his now, he had won it, it now answered to him.  Harry had used it to repair his Holly and Phoenix wand but he never intended on using it again. He was going to lock it in Dumbledore's tomb with him... he would never duel anyone with it. He would never surrender its power to anyone. He would hide it away and after he died hopefully of old age, the power of the Elder Wand would fade and the power of the Hallows would be no more.

Harry heard the noise in the Great Hall. He put on his cloak and walked passed. The Hall was filled with Aurors, Unspeakables and Order of the Phoenix members.  Harry wanted to avoid all of them.  He was nearing the kitchen when he heard two unmistakable voices; that of his two best friends, Ron and Hermione.  He was about to go to them when he saw a familiar looking blond hair man approaching. Harry knew he had seen the man before but could not remember where. As a defensive move, Harry moved to the shadows even though he was under the invisibility cloak.

The blond hair man spoke. "What is taking you so long? Albus is getting impatient, Severus has tried to escape twice."

Had they been closer they would have heard Harry gasp.

"Madam Pomfrey gave Harry a dreamless sleeping potion" Ron said.

"What! You were supposed to bring him back to the Shrieking Shack. How the hell are we supposed to get back the wand and cloak now? He is weak and vulnerable now, tomorrow he would be rested and so would half the damn Auror Corps and the Order" the man said. 

Harry looked at Ron and Hermione, after everything he had been through he was not surprised... actually Hermione surprised him.

Ron offered an explanation. "We tried to bring him but my mom stopped me, my brother died and she wanted me close and well Harry went on his own and you know Madam Pomfrey."

"I don't want excuses" the man shouted.

"Listen Grindelwald the sleeping potion lasts eight hours which gives us about six remaining.  Tell Professor Dumbledore we will bring Harry to the shack in the morning after breakfast around ten. He doesn't suspect us.  He will go in blindly. You could defeat him then" Hermione said in her usual bossy tone.

Grindelwald slapped Hermione hard. "Don't presume to give me orders child... you have until eight in the morning or you will never see a galleon of the money or a book from the library we promised" he said and he walked off.

Hermione scoffed "Who does he think he is..."

"He is a Dark Lord Hermione."

"Yes fifty years ago, now he is an old washed up wizard who used a potion to look young. Don't worry about it Ron, I have a backup.  I took Harry's vault key from your mother.  We will empty the vault in the morning after we deliver Harry. I also instructed Kreacher months ago to pack the Black and Potter Libraries in a special trunk, told him Harry wanted it. If those two backstab us, we will be secure.  Come on lets go to our room."  Hermione pulled Ron towards the stairs.

"No we will have to use another room, Ginny is in that room with McCormic" Ron said.

"Oh for Merlin's sake, why couldn't the girl get her own secret room?" Hermione said as she stopped and moved in the next direction.

"We have been away for a year, she has been using it a lot" Ron said with a laugh as Hermione pulled him away.

Harry stood in the alcove for more than ten minutes before he could breathe properly.  He had been betrayed by those he trusted and loved.  Then with a deep breath, he knew what he had to do. He called Kreacher.

The elf popped in. Kreacher had been damaged in the battle but looked like he would survive. "Master Harry called for Kreacher?" Kreacher said softly looking around.

Harry removed his cloak and Kreacher looked at him. Harry spoke softly "Hermione told you to pack a trunk of things for me?"

"Yes, the libraries of the Black and Potters Estates, Kreacher put it in a vault trunk."

"Vault trunk?"

"It is like an ordinary trunk on outside but is the size and protection of a Gringotts vault inside. Old Master Orion had one."

"I need it... did she or Ron or anyone else ask you to keep anything?"

"Mrs Weessy ask Kreacher to hide Lady Black jewels for Miss Ginny says she is next Lady Black and it could not be lost to he-who-must-not-be-named-and-is-now-dead. Master Snape gives Kreacher potions to keep if Master Harry or his friends were injured and needed it."

Harry sighed he was really wrong about Snape; the man had cared and protected him as a father would more than any of the other men in his life, though Harry didn't know it until today. He looked at Kreacher "Could you put the jewels in the trunk too and any other jewels or valuables that I own that you could get?"

"I will be no more than twenty minutes Master Harry."

"Kreacher, I don't want you to be seen or want you to tell anyone what you are doing."

"Yes Master Harry."

Harry sat in the alcove and made his plans. He saw Kingsley and a few Aurors looking for him. He remained hidden as he really did not know who to trust. Twenty minutes later when Kreacher returned, he gave Harry a trunk, the size of his school trunk but it was like a large room on the inside.  The house-elf told him that he had set the password that Miss Hermione said he wanted.

"Kreacher I want to change the password now" Harry said and with Kreacher's help he changed the password and set it in parseltongue. He was the only one alive who could speak the snake language so he knew no one else could open it.  He then shrunk the chest and put it in his pocket.

"I need your help to get out of here without anyone knowing" Harry said.

Kreacher nodded and holding Harry's hand the house-elf took him to the destination Harry wanted.

...........

Gringotts was open (though it was two-thirty in the morning); Harry saw two customers he was sure were vampires, everyone minded their own business however. Harry went to the goblin at the desk and asked to speak to the manager in charge.  Ten minutes later an old goblin came out, he had on purple robes and an odd smile.

"Good morning Lord Potter Black, I am Ragnog, Head of Gringotts. Our records have shown the closing of the Tom Riddle vaults a few hours ago, as well as those of many of his followers. We thank you Lord Potter Black and we at Gringotts are in your debt."

"Yeah well I want to call that debt, can we speak in private?"

Harry was shown to a private room and for the next ten minutes spoke to the Goblin about his plan and why.   Ragnog further spoke to Harry about all his holdings.  Harry was furious to realise he owned five houses and had millions of galleons.

"You are aware that you now own all of the Lestrange, Mc Nair, Nott and several other vaults as well as Riddle's. As you defeated him all of those Estates are now yours."

"Does Riddle's vault have anything light in it?" Harry said with a laugh.

"Yes a few books by Slytherin and Gryffindor."

"Okay I want those put into this vault trunk." Harry said taking out the trunk and enlargened it. "I want another vault trunk and I want you to put all the gold from my Potter and Black vaults in it."

The goblin snapped his fingers and another goblin appeared and was sent to do as Harry commanded.

"Okay the Lestrange vault goes to Andromeda Tonks and her grandson Teddy. The McNair vaults to the half giant Hagrid and the Nott vaults go to the rightful heir Theodore Nott and I don't know if you could ensure that it is known that he is innocent. I want you to sign over my shares of Weasleys Wizarding Wonders to Fred and when he is ready, give him the Potter townhouse in London.  All other vaults I want to go to the goblins."

The goblin gasped "There is almost 100 million galleons in the other vaults."

"Listen, most of that is blood money and I don't want it.  I would give it to the house-elves but they would rather die.  The centaurs have no need of it and the only other person I would give it to is Snape and I know he wouldn't take it.  The Ministry... I don't want them to have it.  So I give it to you... I have had enough. I want to go far away, possibly Hawaii or New Zealand and retire on a beach. Anyway I need your help and this way if things go wrong you could say I hired you all."

At four in the morning, Harry had on battle robes and had two trunks of things deep in his pocket.  He had a shrunken folder with documents for him, Neville, Luna, the Malfoys, Snape and Minerva to start all over. He hoped they would come with him.  He was ready, his first stop; saving Snape. He looked around and saw Ragnog and about fifty heavily armed goblins soldiers standing behind him.

Ragnog gave him the round disk that was obviously a portkey. Harry nodded, they were ready. Ragnog chanted and in a flash they were gone. They landed at the Hogwarts front gate. The sight that greeted them was one of nightmares. Hogwarts was burning.

"Oh holy Odin this is not possible" Ragnog said.

Harry screamed and ran forward.  His screams where heard by a small group.

"Ahh there you are Potter" The blond haired man that Harry knew was Grindelwald. "Glad you joined the party."

Harry looked at the man standing next to the blond. The hair was red and not white and he had no beard or glasses but Harry recognised Dumbledore.

"Why?" Harry asked the man he had loved as a Grandfather.

"Because I am Hogwarts. I changed the way the school was run. I made it more efficient. Do you know that blasted Minister Scrigmore asked for me to be fired? Me! Albus Dumbledore. Well I showed them. The Dumbledore family name would stand for all time. Don't worry Harry, I will rebuild Hogwarts but the houses will be Dumbledore, Grindelwald, Weasley and if you want Potter."

"You're mad!" Harry shouted.

Grindelwald laughed "Like a hatter but he is oh so brilliant. Now Harry Potter, you have something I want and it so happens I have something you want.

Filch brought out Ginny and Ron, they were both tied up. Ginny screamed for Harry to save them.

"Kill them for all I care, they mean nothing to me" Harry said coldly.

Ginny screamed "How could you say that, you are my soul mate."

"And McCormic what is he?" Harry said coldly. He turned to Ron "And where is your girlfriend Hermione, has she gone to empty out the rest of my vault?"

Grindelwald laughed "I told you Al, the boy is smarter than you think..."

Dumbledore smiled and snapped his finger and Hermione came out with a beaten and bloody Snape.  "You may feel nothing for the Weasleys but I know you care about him. He saved your life... many times and you know you owe him a life debt. You will not be able to watch him be killed. Give us what we want and we will free Severus and your life debt would be paid."

Harry said nothing but glared at Dumbledore.

"Now it is simple, I want your cloak and I want back my wand" Grindelwald said. "Yes my wand. I gave it to Albus, he never won it. It was all part of the plan you see..."

Harry knew he could depend on the bad guy to rant a bit. He was giving the goblins time to circle the group. Grindelwald had ranted about a minute when Harry shouted "Now". The goblins attacked. Filch was the first to go.

There was much fighting. Despite Hermione's assertion, Grindelwald was a fierce dueller and Dumbledore was now in his prime, with all the knowledge of an old master. Dumbledore was fiercer than when Harry had seen him battle Voldemort in his fifth year. 

Harry battled intensely but he was tired. He screamed in his mind that there should be a rule about fighting more than one war per day.

Severus had been freed by a few goblins and was fighting wandlessly but there was only so much he could do, even with the phoenix tears he had lost a lot of blood.  However while they were all fighting Severus told Harry what he had overheard.  He figured he was going to die soon, so he wanted Harry to know.  He looked around over half of the goblins were dead (Grindelwald) or stunned (Dumbledore).

Severus knew they needed help... he knew they could not count on any cavalry saving them but in their current state neither he nor Harry would last long, unless....

"Potter use the Elder Wand, we need the additional magic" Severus shouted.

"No, I am not going to use it. If I use it and lose, the wand would go into the hands of the wrong person."

Harry heard Ron snicker about fame and power going to the wrong sort and wasted on the likes of Harry.

Severus sneered "You have no bloody choice, without it we may lose Harry."

"Then I will lose."

"Bloody idiotic Gryffindor... Wait Potter summon the ring. Grindelwald has it; they picked it up after you dropped it. You are its master accio it. You don‘t have to use it just summon it."

Grindelwald put up a barrier and when Harry summoned the ring the barrier prevented it.  Harry thought of Severus' words and shouted "I Harry Potter Master of the Hallows, command the Ring of Resurrection to me."

The ring flew from Grindelwald into Harry's hand and he put it on and immediately a strong wind blew and a dementor like figure appeared.  Every one stopped fighting and it was if they were frozen.  Only Harry was unaffected. The goblins whimpered at the sight of Death and they all lowered their eyes not wanting to look at it.  Ron started screaming hysterically, the figure moved his hand and Ron went silent.

"Harry Potter you have summoned me?"

"These two?" Harry said pointing to Dumbledore and Grindelwald.

"I cannot touch. They have taken a strong potion which prevents me from taking them. In one hundred and fifty years I could once more but they have enough hidden for many servings" the dark creepy figure replied. "I cannot take you as you too have the potion in your veins, you also have the Hallows at your command."

Harry shook his head "Listen I do not want the Hallows. My plan was to put the Elder Wand in Albus' tomb. Which I now realise is empty and when I die their power would end."

"Do you not know the power you now hold? The power of the Hallows, if you wish it you could now be immortal?" Death asked.

"Yes I do, all too well. I have no problem with dying as I have seen too much of your work. If I had a wish it would be to save everyone from the schemes and horrors of those two. I realise now they were the ones behind everything, even Voldemort may have been manipulated by them... I wish I could save them all, I wish I could save Hogwarts" Harry said looked at the burning castle.

Death looked at Harry and smiled "Your proposal is acceptable. In exchange for the Hallows, I will send you back in time and give you the chance to save them all.  You would be outside of time, which means even if your parents do not meet and Harry Potter is not born, you will still exist. This time will cease to exist and everything erased. You may choose to leave the world as it is or remove these two and leave it to its own destiny or you may even become a Dark Lord, I will not interfere.  Just remember everyone is responsible for his or her own actions."

Harry thought about it and turned to Ragnog said "I thank you for your aid and know that I consider you an equal."

Ragnog lowered his eyes "You truly are a great wizard". Then with Death's permission (Death released him from the bonds holding everyone), he took off his ring and gave it to Harry. "Whatever time you go to, present this to the Gringotts goblins and ask for sanctuary. It will tell them that you are a friend of the goblin nation."

"Thank you."

Harry looked at Severus, the man's face was stoic but Harry saw the fear in the eyes.

Severus cleared his throat "I am sorry Harry for everything. I want you to know that Lily would have been very proud of you."

Harry nodded and looked at Death "I accept but on one condition."

"What is that condition?"

"That I take someone back with me, someone who could be my conscious of a sort, to stop me from becoming a Dark Lord."

Death nodded "I will grant that condition.  So who do you chose?"

Immediately Hermione and Ginny started shouting at Harry to take them.

Harry looked at Snape "Will you be willing to come back with me sir... I need your help."

Severus looked at him wearily and said "I have already fought two wars and I do not know if I have the strength to fight another but... I made a vow to Lily to protect you and see you safe, I will come."  

Death released him.

Severus stood up and then looked at Death "I don't suppose I will have time for a shower and to change my clothes?"

Death chuckled and waved his hand and Severus robes changed to brand new emerald green and he looked refreshed, all his injuries had healed and even his hair looked silky and soft and not greasy.

Severus looked like he was about to say thank you but noticed his robes were green and gave Death a glare.

"Only I am allowed to be in black all the time" Death said with a chuckle and everyone, even Dumbledore laughed.

Death looked at them seriously "Are you ready?"

Harry and Severus nodded.  As Death waved his hand and a portal opened, they heard Grindelwald screaming and saw him fighting Death's hold.  Severus instinctive grabbed Harry's hand and ran towards the portal and the two fell together into an abyss.  As the overhead opening closed they heard Grindelwald's screams end.

 

To be continued...
Chapter 2: A New Time and A New Life by Keats
Harry opened his eyes when he heard someone calling him; he looked up and saw Snape looking at him.

He groaned "It wasn't a dream."

"No Mr. Potter, it wasn't a dream."

"When are we?" Harry said and looked around "Where are we?"

"The where is easy; we are in the same spot we left, which is on Hogwarts grounds.  It seems to be early in the morning. Do you know the tempus charm, cast tempus totalis, it would give you the exact date and time."

Harry cast it and saw it was 6:08 (and 10 seconds..11..12)  in the morning  June 1st, 1928.

"Wow we have really gone back in time, to be honest I thought we would go back to my parent's days" Harry said.

"No you asked to save them all; Grindelwald started his so call grasp for power in the mid-1930s.  His real reign of terror started in 1937 which of course led to what the muggles called World War two starting in 1939. He was supposedly killed in 1945 by Dumbledore. Dumbledore then became Headmaster of Hogwarts and Head of the Wizengamot" Severus slipped into a lecture mode as if it helped him think.

"So why now?"

"I do not know but we have to get out of here, the occupants of the castle will wake soon" Snape said and ran in the direction of the gate. Harry followed.  They ran all the way out the gate and then down to the village of Hogsmeade.

Harry saw Snape go in his pocket and took out a money pouch.  They went into The Travellers Inn which later became Rosmerta's and ordered breakfast.  They ate (Snape was starving) and then tried to rent two rooms, they were told there was only one available, so they took it.  Thankfully there were two beds.

"Get some sleep we will discuss our plan of action when we wake" Snape said lying on a bed and fell asleep almost instantly. Harry warded the room and went to the next bed and tried to get some sleep.

Severus woke still feeling tired. He looked at the clock on the bedside table in between the two beds; he saw the time was 4:13 am.  He sighed; he had slept almost 24 hours, the physical trauma of the last few days had taken a toll on him. He got up and looked around. He saw the boy sitting on an armchair.  He was going to make a snide comment and then saw that the boy looked haunted. "Harry did you get any sleep?"

Harry shook his head "Nothing works..."

"How long have you been like this?" Severus said going over to him.

"Have had nightmares since Sirius died... now it's worse. Because of me they are all dead" Harry said hauntingly.

"Harry it is not your fault."

"Yes it is I should have saved them... Neville, Luna, McGonagall, even Draco. When I close my eyes I see the fire, I hear them screaming for me to save them and I can't. I keep calling Kreacher and he wouldn't come. He took me to safety and I... I sent him back and ordered him to go to the castle and get some sleep" Harry said. Severus saw the tears in the boy's eyes but they did not fall. The boy had been too conditioned, he could not cry. Like with Sirius' death, the guilt was eating the boy alive.

Severus nodded "Let me see if I could help. I can put an occlumens shield around your mind. It will be temporary but it should stop the nightmares."

Harry looked at him and nodded.  Severus put his hand on Harry's head and looked into his eyes. Severus saw flashes of Harry's life, what he saw really disturbed him. He concentrated and put up the shield and he saw Harry give a small smile. Severus put the boy to bed, he sat and patted his back and soon heard the slight snores.

Severus looked at the sleeping boy. The brief flashes made him think of the various things he had seen in Harry's mind when he had first tried to teach him occlumency the boy's fifth year. He had gone and reported it to Dumbledore. The Headmaster had spun a set of fancy stories and in the end Severus had dismissed it.  Now he knew how much he had wronged the boy by trusting in Dumbledore.

Severus stood up and moved over to the armchair Harry had previously sat. It was still very early in the morning and the kitchens downstairs would be closed. He however needed the loo. The room did not have its own private bathroom so he would have to leave the room, which he did not want to but... he really needed the loo.

He saw Harry's wand on a small table in the sitting area of the room. He took it and hoped the wand worked for him. He cast the spell and he felt his bladder lightened. He smiled and then cast various personal grooming charms. He felt so much better. He put the wand back down; he would have to go to Diagon Alley as soon as possible to get a wand. Dumbledore had stripped him of not only his wand but his secret knife as well. 

He checked his pocket to see what he did have. He knew he had his money pouch, which only had about a hundred galleons. He smiled, in 1928 a Professor at Hogwarts probably made about five galleons a month, so the hundred should go a long way. It would not be enough to buy a house but he should be able to rent something reasonable. He would need to get a job.

He continued checking his pockets. He had a few emergency potions. He had started walking with them as those blasted Carrows loved physically torturing the children and he would often need a few on hand.  He took out a handful of puking pastels he had confiscated... he smiled the Weasley twins were absolute geniuses when it came to potions. It was a pity they were only interest in jokes and not something like healing... they would have been fantastic. He sighed, the Weasley twins were not alive, Molly wasn't even born. Hell even his own mother was not alive yet. His head hurt.

He emptied the last pocket. He looked at the strange vial... He had stolen Albus' purple vial. It was a youth formula. He looked at the boy in the bed. He thought about it and then put the vial away.

Severus looked around; he saw an envelope which obviously was Harry's. He opened it. In it were documents... Severus assumed from the envelope they were in that the goblins at Gringotts had helped Harry organise it. The boy had done some planning.  He looked at the top set of papers. They were birth papers for various individuals, the first names of the people were there and the surnames were blank. Severus assumed Harry left it blank so the others could choose their own last names.  He saw birth papers for Minerva, Neville, Luna and there was one for him (he chuckled Harry had made Minerva Severus' mother).  He looked at the other documents there were certificates showing home-schooled qualifications and even... Snape gasped when he saw a Marriage Certificate for him. He looked at the name of his supposed bride... Lily.

Severus looked at the name and a tear fell. He looked at the sleeping boy. Then a thought struck him. He looked through the documents and saw Harry's birth paper. He stared at it... Harry had put him as Father.

------

Harry woke up feeling better than he had in a long time. He looked around. The room was empty. He sighed and stood up. He saw the documents he had brought were out of the envelope. Snape had obviously read them. Harry looked at the one on top, his birth paper. He sighed; had Snape run out on him because he didn't want Harry as a son.

"I am too freaky for anyone to want me" Harry said out loud.

"If I had a wand your mouth would be filled with soap right now young man" Severus' voice said from the door. Harry jumped he had not heard the door open.

"Anyone who calls my son a freak will feel my wrath, including you" Snape said and put a tray with a bowl of stew and a glass of pumpkin juice on the bed.

"You don't mind?" Harry said still unsure.

Severus shook his head "No. As a matter of fact I have a proposal for you."

-------

Harry and Severus walked into the crowded Diagon Alley. Severus looked at all of the families. The biggest difference he had seen in coming back was the amount of wizards and witches around. He mused that because of Grindelwald and Dumbledore more than forty magical family lines had completely disappeared in the future.  The carnage had not yet started. Severus hoped they really could save them.

He looked at Harry who was mournfully looking at the Owl Emporium. Severus knew the boy was remembering his beloved familiar Hedwig. Harry had lost so much and experienced so much pain. It was no wonder the boy could not sleep. Severus remembered his first few months as a Death Eater; he did not sleep much back then as well.

Their first stop was Ollivanders. The man looked the same, which they both found really creepy.  Severus got a new wand. It was oak and dragon heartstring.

They then went to Gringotts which was crowded, each teller had long lines. Severus let out a frustrated sigh and went into the line to the nearest teller. Harry shook his head and went to one of the guards at the door.

"We need your help" Harry said and then taking out the ring Ragnog gave him said "We were told we could seek sanctuary."

The guard looked at him and looked at the ring and told him to follow. Harry looked at the scowling Severus who came up to them and they followed the guard to the back.  They were taken to a private office and a pleasant and obviously noble goblin came in, he had on rich purple and gold robes.

"Good day my Lords, I am Magnus, Head of Gringotts. I have been told you have asked for sanctuary?" The goblin stated and nodded when Harry gave him the ring. Severus immediately said something in gobbledygook and the goblin smiled.

They spoke for a few seconds and then Severus gestured to Harry.

Magnus turned to Harry and stated in English "As I was just telling your companion once sanctuary is called upon, it is given, we do not ask any questions. Now, we will aid you with new identities and if you need it, a start-up of an account with 50 galleons, which should see you for a few months, until you get settled. We could also help you get a room to rent and possibly a job..."

"The start-up capital is not necessary, I have about 100 galleons on me" Severus said.

"Severus?"

"That money is yours we will discuss details later" Severus said sternly.  Harry had told Severus about the vault trunks and the money in it.

"Are you angry with me? I am sorry, I just..." Harry put his head in his hands; he looked like he was going to scream.

The Goblin looked at the two and said "I will go and get you a goblet of water." The goblin left the room. Severus knew he was giving them some time alone.

"Harry, I am not angry. I am a little disappointed that you did not take up my offer to have you de-age and start all over but your reasoning was sound. We are in a strange time and we don't know what dangers are around."

"Yes but you said I would still be your son, that you were my father" Harry said.

"Yes. You are still upset I will not take the money. Harry you are my son but you are an adult and that money is yours, your family's."

"You are my family now and while I don't think it is safe to de-age to a baby, I really don't want to be an adult right now" Harry said.

Severus nodded "Albus wanted you for your money. From what I saw in your memories the Weasleys, Hermione they all wanted you for your money. I don't want you thinking that I am using you to get to your money. I am the father; I am supposed to provide for you and not the other way around. You offered me the potions ingredients Kreacher packed; I will accept that and start a potions business. We agreed to use some of your money to buy a house. I think that will be more than enough."

Harry nodded "You told me that Albus used your heritage to finance his war. Severus you don't really understand. One of the reasons I am so drawn to you is that I see you as my future... meaning if Dumbledore had his way I would have turned out to be just like you. Most of what he did to me, he did to you. I don't want you to think of the money as mine. Think of it as spoils of the war we just left. The things that are purely Potter or Black which are the books and jewellery and such I will keep, but the gold I think should be split fifty fifty."

Severus thought about it. Then Harry said "Think of it as the perfect revenge against my dad and Sirius."

Severus smiled and said "The perfect revenge is you calling me Dad. Okay I will accept the money."

Harry smiled "Thanks Dad."

Severus went to the door and saw the goblin talking with other goblins and signing some papers. Magnus nodded and came back in and smiled. "So you indicated you have some money?"

Severus nodded and Harry took out the two shrunken trunks and put them on the desk. Severus explained "One has books, the other gold and other things. We will be depositing the gold equally into two vaults; one in my name and one in his."

The goblin nodded and looked at the trunks "These are Gringotts vault trunks. You are Lords..." the goblin looked at them confused but then shook his head. "It matters not, with sanctuary you are given new identities and new family histories. If you have items that will tie you to a family and reveal your true identity, I would advise you either destroy them or lock them away in a secure vault."

"I will leave them all in one of the vault trunks and put a password on it that no one would be able to say but me" Harry said and the goblin nodded.

"We had started getting some documents together" Harry said and passed Magnus the papers.

The goblin looked at the documents and his eyebrow went up and after a minute said "You want to establish yourselves as father and son.  That should not be a problem.  Severus I see you are thirty eight and Harry you are almost eighteen and a legal adult; do you want that to change?"

"No that is fine" Severus said.

"And Severus you are a potions master. That is a very small community. I can get you an appointment with the Head of the Department of Mysteries in the Ministry. He can have you evaluated and help you establish a place in the potions community. He is one of a few who can establish a new life for someone declaring sanctuary. He is a trustworthy individual and is magically bound not to reveal anything he learns about you" Magnus said and Severus nodded.

Magnus turned to Harry "You have done several OWLs but not NEWTs, do you want me to get you a place at Hogwarts to do your NEWTs. You are small in size and can pass for sixteen, if we put you at that age, you can safely start sixth year going in as a NEWT student."

Severus looked at Harry who had gone pale. Severus looked at Magnus "I think it would be best if I home school him and do the exams privately next year." Magnus nodded.

"I see you are keeping your first names, which is good. Harry I see your middle name is James, which I assume is the name of your birth father. It is a tradition that purebloods give their first born son their name as a middle name. Since Severus will now be your father, will you want to change your middle name?"

Severus looked at the boy who was obviously battling something inside him. "We are not purebloods and I thought it would be best to say I am a muggleborn and that Harry is a half blood. It would solve the problem of having to provide family heritage charts."

Magnus nodded "That is your choice however I have to warn you... In this time great importance is placed on blood lines. No matter how brilliant your potions are, you will not get a job higher than a potions assistant and any new inventions you want to put forward will not be accepted. There are no laws against it but informally it is the way things are done. You will not be able to buy a proper manor nor would you make the impact I assume you want to make in this time line."

Severus and Harry looked at the goblin in shock.

Magnus smiled "Your documents have future dates on them."

Harry slapped his forehead; he had forgotten that the documents had been done for their time. He looked at Severus who looked pale; it was obvious that he too had not realised the error.

Magnus put up his hand "before you try to obliviate me, those spells don't work in Gringotts. Now I realise you two are from the future, however you both look like you escaped from a terrible experience. I have seen the faces of those who have survived war too many times for me not to recognise it. While it is definitely a first for me as I have never heard of any one being able to time travel more than a few hours, it matters not to me. You have declared sanctuary and we ask no questions. You will get all the help you need. Now I know in the future things may have changed drastically but right now there are still a lot of prejudices. My advice would be to pass yourselves as purebloods. There are a few lines that have been wiped out over time and I could have you passed off as a long lost cousin. Once Gringotts approves and I get Fisher from the Department of Mysteries to publically recognise you, no one will question it."

Harry just looked at Severus as if asking him to make the decision. Severus nodded. They then went through several family heritages and finally Severus indicated he knew of one line from France that had died out. Severus' great-great grandmother was a Reiner, her brother who was the last male in the line had gone on a trip around the world and they never knew what happened to him, except that one day five years after he left, the goblins came and informed the family that his will had been activated, which indicated that he had died.

Magnus clapped his hands and the file on the Reiner family appeared. He looked at it and nodded. "Yes that would be most appropriate."

Severus then officially became Severus Tobias Reiner and Harry became Henri (he found it sounded more exotic and he could be still called Harry) Severus James Reiner.

They spent an hour, separating the items into the two trunks. Magnus did not go with them to allow them their privacy. The goblin almost fainted when they did hand over the gold they did have and it was magically counted as close to fifty million galleons.  After allowing himself a few minutes to catch himself, he told them that that amount even spilt in two will be questioned so he advised them to split it into many vaults in several branches of Gringotts.

When they had finished it was late and Magnus provided them with dinner and told them he would organise somewhere for them to stay until they found a home. They had looked at the pictures and folders of several muggle manors that were for sale that could be turned into magical homes (Magnus advised that this was better than choosing one that was from a magical family as that often caused confusion).  Severus and Harry had chosen two different manors they liked. Severus liked a manor in Manchester and Harry an old castle in Scotland. Magnus said that once they were settled he would organise for them to view both places.

At ten in the night, Magnus took both Harry and Severus to the Department of Mysteries to meet Fisher. The Ministry was empty and Magnus said it was better this way. Fisher was a tall man who had no real distinguishable features. Severus quietly explained to Harry that unspeakables were like secret agents and that Fisher would have been a code name and his look was a magical disguise to hide his true identity.

Fisher told Severus that Magnus had explained that he was a potions master who had declared sanctuary. Severus nodded. Fisher had organised with the department's top potions master (whose code name was Potions Master), to test him. Fisher assured him that magically they were bound not to reveal anything once sanctuary was called.

Fisher took Severus in to be tested by Potions Master and Magnus left to organise a few things for the two wizards. Fisher came back into the waiting room and looked at Harry who looked tired. "Do you want me to provide you with somewhere to sleep? Your father would possibly be a few hours."

Harry shook his head "I can't sleep, the only thing that works is an occlumency shield, which dad has to help with."

Fisher nodded and after a few minute said "I assume you two have fled some war. I too could not sleep after I came from the last war, actually I had to have some memories obliviated and others magically blocked just so I could sleep. I assume you are trying to learn occlumency?"

Harry shook his head "Tried but I can't do it. Dad has a potion that would erase my memories but... it's hard to let go, there is too much danger." Harry did not know why he trusted this man. There was just something about him that made Harry feel comfortable.

Fisher nodded "It is hard I know, believe me I know.  All those who declare sanctuary have done so because they were in great danger or they had so horrible pasts that they needed to start over. You both look like you have terrible pasts but you have both chosen to start over. I know Severus is not your real father but you have chosen him to be. It all comes down to whether you trust him enough to guide you down the right path and help make decisions for you." 

Harry looked at him with a strange expression and Fisher smiled. "You are of age and yet chose to have him be your father."

Fisher stood up and said "Come let's take a walk and I will show you around." 

They walked around and Harry saw several areas that he had seen before. Fisher raised an eyebrow when Harry told him he did not want to see the death veil.

Finally Fisher asked Harry if he would like a familiar. The boy thought of it and nodded. Fisher took him to a large room. There were several animals, most were confiscated in different raids. Fisher told him to look around and see if there was any animal he felt drawn to. Harry walked around and looked at the various creatures. There were the usual dogs, cats and owls. Then there were the magical creatures, nifflers, kneazles and even a baby dragon and a few unicorn foals. Harry absently told Fisher they should send the unicorns to the herd at Hogwarts and the dragon to the reserve in Romania.

Then Harry heard someone calling him. He turned and smiled. There was an area sectioned off and was blocked by glass. This area was filled with snakes of all kind. The one that was calling him was a wily black mamba who was calling him over. The snake thought it was hypnotising Harry and was trying to get him to open the door.

Harry laughed "[Do I look stupid to you. Only the weak can be hypnotised and I am not weak.]"

Immediately all of the snakes and one human voice said "You are a parselmouth."

 

To be continued...
Chapter 3: Saving One Saves All by Keats

Harry sat in a room in the Department of Mysteries translating a book. It was now three weeks since their arrival in the past. Severus had been given his potions mastery but had also been given a job in the department. Harry had been asked by Fisher to translate a few parselscript books and scrolls that the department had. The condition of course was that no one knew that he was doing it. Fisher had told him that while being a parselmouth was rare and there were some dark associations with it, he was not to be ashamed of his gifts. Harry assumed that most of the fear in their day was because of Voldemort.

Harry had on more than one occasion, thought of the psychopathic Dark Lord.  Harry had been horrified to see the man's wand in his trunk. Severus explained that Kreacher must have felt that since Harry had defeated the man, that he should have the wand. Harry had wanted to destroy it but a part of him couldn't. 

He was currently translating a book that was written by one of Salazar Slytherin's grandsons. The book was about taking care of your snake familiar. Harry smirked and thought of Nagini. He thanked Merlin that he would not have to worry about that evil snake for a while; he then mused that he would not have to deal with Voldemort for a while. He sat back and thought about the man... he wondered what the man was doing... if he was even alive. Harry calculated... in his second year the diary was fifty and Riddle was sixteen when he wrote it. He chuckled; Tom Riddle was about two years old.

Harry went back to his translating. After a few minutes he stopped. He ran out of the room and ran through the department to the labs, where Severus was. Severus and Potions Master looked up when he entered the lab.

"Dad!"

"What! What is it Harry?" Severus sounded concerned.

Harry waved his wand and cast a muffliato spell, which would give them privacy. "I know why we were sent to this time."

Severus raised his eyebrow.

"Tom... Tom Riddle, he is in an orphanage and he was abused, just like I was; but he was in an orphanage and he turned dark.  I didn't. We could save him, raise him up right; he should be around the same age I was when my parents died."

"Adopt Lord Voldemort" Severus said angrily.

"He wouldn't be Lord Voldemort now would he, he is just a toddler. He is an innocent child right now, we could ensure he is brought up in a home, where he is loved, guided and brought up right.  If that happens then I am sure he would not turn dark.  We could save him."

Severus obviously did not like the idea.

"Please dad, if we save him now, then think of the ripple effects.  We could save everyone by simply saving one," Harry said.

Severus nodded.

-------

Severus had spoken to Fisher. They had told Fisher and Potions Master a variation of the truth without specifying places, times or names. They knew both men were suspicious but did not ask. Fisher however, turned out to be a good source of information and connections. He helped them with the arrangements for purchasing their new home in Manchester, which was currently being furnished and given magical protections. They were expecting to enter it before the weekend in three days. Fisher also happily made arrangements for them to adopt Tom.

At eight o'clock the next morning, Fisher sent an owl stating that no applications for guardianship or adoption had been made for Tom Marvolo Riddle, and he had started the paperwork for Severus to legally adopt the child. He sent documents for the head of the orphanage to sign.

Harry and Severus changed into rich muggle clothing and made their way to the London orphanage where the toddler Tom Riddle was kept. It had been one of the places Harry had checked for horcruxes, so he knew where it was.

The matron, Mrs. Cole, who ran the orphanage, was a cold woman who looked like she used to be a prison warden.   She looked at Harry and Severus sternly.

"I am looking for a child, I am told he is here; his name is Tom Riddle. I wish to adopt him," Severus said seriously.

"Why Tom... why him in particular, are you family?" she asked, eyeing Severus coldly.

"No, but we are just like him" Harry said.

Mrs. Cole considered him. "His mother told us about her special ability before she died; she did not want him growing up with that curse."

Harry sighed. "Magic is not a curse. Merope did not have a good life in either the magical world or in the non-magical world but for her, the magical world was worse. Her father was a hard man. I grew up without my parents and lived with relatives who, like you and like Merope, thought magic was a curse. They tried to beat the magic out of me, exorcise the magic; but it can't be removed, it is part of you. If left on its own, the magic will turn you mad. Tom is powerful and as such if he cannot learn to control and harness his magic it would become wild and lash out and hurt him and others."

"You are not mad?"

"No, my mother left me certain protections. However I was rescued in a sense and sent somewhere where I was trained."

"Did you hurt others?"

"No, but because of me others were."

She looked at Harry and Severus and considered them. After a minute of consideration she said, "You are not the first to come concerning Tom. Two others came; one said he was a teacher. They said that Tom had to be heavily disciplined, to be isolated from the children and to be worked hard so he would learn that he is not above others. We were told that not all magic is good; that he had a dark spirit in him and we had to beat the spirit whenever it showed itself."

Severus looked at her seriously. "He is a child. An innocent child. If you treat him like a slave, one of two things would happen; he will always be a slave, using his power for a master or two, he will rebel and fight against his oppressor."

Harry looked at her. "If they are who I think they are... one, the red head, he is the one who placed me with my aunt.  She did exactly what he told you, so when he rescued me; I thought him my saviour and did whatever he wanted. He became my master.  I am powerful, madam, very powerful; and he used my magic, he used me as a weapon. I however was able to escape, with Mr. Reiner's help. Those two will do the same to Tom. I had hoped that I would have found Tom before they became aware of him. I will not have them use another child the way they did me."

Mrs. Cole looked at the adoption papers. "Are these real?"

"Yes."

She looked at them, unsure and Severus said, "I will be a good father to him, and Harry will be a brother to him. We will protect him, we will raise him with love and when needed, discipline. We will help him control his magic, with proper training and patience."

She looked at them and then picked up a little bell and rang it; she asked the plump woman who came in to bring Tom Riddle immediately.

The plump woman came back a few minutes later with a small boy with black hair and blue eyes.

Severus moved to take the boy but Harry stopped him "That is not Tom."

The plump woman frowned "Sure it is.  This is Tom."

Harry looked at her and his magic came forward. "This is not Tom Riddle."

The matron turned to the woman. "Hattie they are adopting Tom. I want you to bring Tom Riddle."

"I... I can't find him ma'am he is gone," Hattie said.

Severus looked at her and then at Harry. "She is lying."

Mrs Cole stood up and asked them to follow her. She took them to a room with a few cribs and five small beds. There were about twelve toddlers between the ages of one and three in the room.

"Where is Tom?" Mrs. Cole asked and none of the children answered.

Hattie came in, "I told you he is not here."

Harry put up his hand to silence her. "[Tom. Tom Riddle, are you here?]"

There was no answer and everyone (besides Severus) looked at Harry in amazement or fear as they heard him speak like a snake.

"[Tom, I am not here to hurt you, I am here to take you to my home.]" Harry walked around. "[I want to be your brother; I want you to come and live with me and my dad. We will keep you safe, we will drive the monsters away...]"

"[S'aky?]" A tiny voice asked and Harry turned around and saw a small cupboard... a cupboard like his, a cupboard with a lock on the outside.

"[No, I am not a snake. My name is Harry and I am like you,]" Harry said and with a wave of his hand, the lock broke and the door opened. The child hissed as the light came in the room,; he had on rags and was covered in his own filth and looked scared.  With another wave of his hand, Harry banished the filth and cleaned the child. He then bent down and put his hands out, inviting the boy to come to him.

The little boy looked down at himself and then at Harry, unsure. Harry, knowing his own fears from a child said, "[I am here to rescue you, Tom]".

The little boy came to him and Harry picked him up holding him close. He was a tiny child, a baby... but he looked like he had eaten recently; the abuse had only now started.

Mrs. Cole looked at Tom in Harry's embrace and then looked on as the boy introduced the toddler to his new father. She smiled and knew that Tom had found a good family.

"Come, we need to sign the paper work," she said with a smile.

Hattie looked at her. "Mrs. Cole what about the others, what about the money they promised; with it we would get new beds, clothes."

Severus looked the plump woman. "So you sold the child to slavery?"

"No... they said that the child was evil and that it was for the greater good," Hattie said.

"And locking a baby in a closet in his own filth with a lock on the outside, that is an example of your goodness," Severus said coldly and the woman bowed her head.

They went back to Mrs. Coles' office where she signed the Ministry of Magic forms and placed the Orphanage's official seal on the papers, making it legal.

There was a knock on the door and Hattie came in with a change of clothes, nappies and a bottle of milk. Severus sighed; he knew it was her way of apologising but still, he wandlessly checked the bottle and clothes for spells or poisons; they were all clear, so he fed Tom and then changed him. 

He rocked Tom until the boy fell asleep on his shoulder. Severus asked the matron about information on Merope. She gave him Tom's birth paper and his immunization card and showed him the boy's file. Harry pointed a special notation on June 1st of that year. Mrs. Cole said that this was the first time Tom showed any magic; he had levitated a toy to him when another child had taken it away. She said that two days later, Dumbledore and Grindelwald came in inquiring about the boy.  Another notation dated the day before showed that Tom had been caught ‘playing' with a snake.

Severus said that he would organise protection for the orphan home against the other wizards and Mrs. Cole said she would be grateful.

------

They took Tom back to the DoM and Fisher took them to the Department's healer to look at the child. Tom screamed when he saw the tall, thin, vampire looking healer. Shadow looked at the child, nodded and left the room. A minute later, a tall woman with beautiful platinum blond hair and deep blue eyes came in the room. Tom liked her. Harry gave Severus a look and the man rolled his eyes. She told Tom her name was Healer Sarah. She examined him and told Severus that besides a few diaper sores, which would heal by this evening, he was fine.

She looked at Harry and then asked Severus, "Do you want your other son to be checked as well? He does not look to well."

Severus looked at Harry, who nodded. When she started examining him, she gasped. "How did you survive two killing curses, a Basilisk bite, an acromantula attack, a dragon attack, a dementors' partial kiss, mind penetration attacks, over a dozen cruciatus..."

"You are not to concern yourself with that," Fisher said even though it was obvious he too was looking at Harry in curiosity.

"Fisher, I am accustomed seeing the injuries of Unspeakables, and what I see here I have never seen. I have a list of abuse, both physical and magical, from since the child was two. From what I see here, I would not recommend leaving another innocent child with that man," the Healer said pointing to Severus.

"Severus is not my real father, I am adopted. He took me away from that life," Harry said.

Sarah nodded and looked at Severus apologetically. She then said, "Henri has several magical binds on him, his magic has been drained several times in his life and it has left severe scars on his core. His body is stunted and underdeveloped and his eyes are irreparably damaged due to several physical blows to the head. If I were to guess you suffer from migraines?"

Harry nodded.

"And right now his body is severely sleep deprived. I could recommend a series of potions to help heal his body physically, though there is nothing that would help the worst damage. He also desperately needs some dreamless sleep potion," she told them.

"The dreamless sleep potion does not affect me. Even the strongest batch dad could make does not help" Harry said.

"So how do you sleep?"

"Dad puts up an occlumency shield."

"And for how long does that hold?"

"About three hours, sometimes four; once or twice it was only two but he cast it a second time," Harry said.

She shook her head. "That is not good enough; if you don't find a way to solve this problem fast, you will go crazy or worse, you could sink into your mind and never come out."

"Henri, we could go the option of blocking your memories like I suggested," Fisher said.

Severus looked at Harry and said, "My offer still stands, now more than ever."

Harry looked at Severus and at the little boy who was now sleeping in his arms. He shook his head.

"You need my help with Tom. If they come looking for him, I will need to fight."

"I think the best help Tom could have, is by having a big brother who he could climb trees with, go swimming, and catch snakes with. I think Tom would like that more than a body guard," Severus said.

Harry looked at the boy again and Severus said, "I am not a slouch in fighting. I think I could hold my own... and while I never killed Basilisks or fought off a hundred dementors or battled dragons and trolls, I have had my share of battle scars."

Harry smiled, "Yeah, werewolves and Grims."

"And cheeky teenagers," Severus said with a smile.

Harry bit his bottom lip and looked at the report in the healer's hand. He knew he was guaranteed to live another hundred and thirty two years and he did not think he wanted to live it as a mad man.  He looked at his dad "You have to promise me that you will read bedtime stories, take us fishing and take us to Quidditch matches."

Severus rolled his eyes. "Of course brat, but you know I will not let you become like James and Sirius, so there will be bedtimes, rules and spankings... but no whips, no belts, no being locked in a cupboard and no frying pans to the head."

Harry nodded.  Severus put Tom down on a bed and went to Harry. "I take my role as Dad really seriously Harry, I will take good care of you. You know the promise I made to your mother. It still holds. I made a promise in front of Death that I would help you and protect you. I am very proud of the man you are and I know Lily and James and... the mutt and wolf are very proud of you. I am sure they will all agree with me that you deserve a new start."

Harry leaned in to him and Severus held him. After a minute Harry said "I want you to make me three promises."

"What?"

"That you will try and heal yourself. You are just as scarred as I am and you need to take care of yourself as well. Come on you're thirty eight and you look eight three," Harry said.

Severus rolled his eyes.

"And two, you will find someone to take care of you" Harry said.

Severus gave him the dreaded Snape glare.

"Mum's been dead over sixteen years. It's time to move on. Sure mum was beautiful and your soul mate and all that, but dad you have to find another. We came here to start over, to leave the past. You have to leave her in the past and find someone new."

Severus scowled and said "And three?"

Harry looked at him sadly. Snape shook his head.

"Okay I will wash my hair and go on a date. Now three?"

"You have to buy Willow Castle in Scotland," Harry said.

Severus rubbed his temples. "Harry, we have been over this. It is not a castle or even a house.  It is a big pile of rock and bush and it doesn't even have a roof."

"Dad, please. I was thinking of buying it and building it over as a sort of project for the next few years, but now I wouldn't be able to. Dad, listen, there is something about that place. As soon as I saw the picture, I was just drawn to it and when we went I felt... I felt the same way as when I held my wand for the first time or when I saw Hedwig. It felt like home. Please, even if you buy it and leave it for when I turn seventeen again, I will fix it up then. Please, dad please" Harry said.

Severus sighed. "Alright, I will wash my hair, go on a date and buy the big pile of rock."

Harry smiled. "Thanks dad. Okay I'll do this."  Harry passed his wand and his hidden vault keys to Severus; he had already keyed Severus to the vault so he did not have to worry about passwords.

Healer Sarah and Fisher looked on and then Severus took out a purple vial from his pocket. He explained what it was and the other two nodded.

Severus got a medicine spoon from the healer and poured out a small measure of the potion as if it were medicine. Harry took a deep breath and took it.  It took about a minute, but Harry shrunk. Severus estimated he was about fourteen.

The boy looked at him and then looked around "Where am I, Snape?"

Severus glared at him. "That is Professor Snape. What was the last thing you remember doing?"

"Hermione and I were practicing spells for the Tri-Wizard finals... wait was I hit by some sort of spell?"

"Yes, and you need to take this potion immediately," Severus said.

Harry looked at him "Where is Pomfrey? Who are these people?"

"Now, Potter.  I don't have all day," Severus snapped in his stern Professor voice.

Harry glared at him but obeyed. Another minute later, a scared nine year old was looking at him. Severus approached him. Harry screamed loudly.  Tom immediately got up and started wailing. The blond healer went and picked him up.

Severus shook his head and Fisher took out his wand to cast a silencing spell. The boy looked at the wand.

"I be good, no use whip" Harry said, almost petrified in fright.

Severus looked at him sternly. "Okay, well just take this medicine and he will not use the whip."

Harry quickly took the medicine and what looked like a two year old stood in his place. Severus wondered if he had poured too much, he was estimating Harry to be about four but he looked barely older than Tom, who wasn't even two. 

"Hello, who are you?" the boy asked, looking at Severus.

"I am your new daddy Harry," Severus answered, putting his arms out.  The boy did not come to him, but looked around fearfully.

"If you are looking for your Aunt and Uncle, they are gone and you will never see those bad people again. I am your new daddy and that is your brother Tom," Severus said, pointing out Tom.

Sarah turned Tom around so he could see Harry.

"Daddy and Tom? No Aunt ‘Tunia? No Uncle Vernon?" Harry asked.

Severus smiled. "Just Daddy and Tom and Harry."

Harry looked at Sarah. "She new mummy?"

Sarah blushed red but said, "No, I am Healer Sarah."

"She is the doctor who is going to do a check up on you," Severus said before turning to Fisher. "And that is Mr. Fisher. He is a friend."

Fisher smiled. "I am a police man, so if any bad people come, I will catch them and locked them away."

Harry looked at Fisher and smiled.

Sarah passed Tom to Severus and then took out her wand to examine Harry. The boy flinched, but Severus sat on the examining table next to him and put Harry to sit on one leg, while Tom sat on the other.

Sarah smiled and waved her wand over Harry. "You have been successful in reversing most of the damage. There is still a block on his magic; he is malnourished and a bit underdeveloped. He is four, but looks like two. He has suffered some abuse; I see scarring on his skull from what I assume is a frying pan. It has affected his eyes, but all of the physical damage can be healed. You put him at a correct age. I am concerned about the block on his magic. Fisher I assume you can remove it?"

Fisher examined Harry and then nodded. "He is very powerful. I suspect the person who orchestrated all of the damage put it on him. I will take it off slowly over the next month or two, so he will become accustom to it."

Severus smiled and thanked them. He looked at the two boys in his arms and smiled. This was the happiest day of his life.

 

To be continued...
End Notes:
Special thanks to hpfan4life for helping me beta this chapter
Chapter 4: Marvolo Gaunt by Keats
 

Severus was busy brewing a complicated potion when his personal house elf Nip came in. He had purchased Nip and his family at the first house-elf auction he had gone to almost two years ago. The man who previously owned the family had badly abused them and had almost whipped Nip to death, after the house-elf had tried to stop a very drunk man from purchasing his daughter.  Severus had to stop himself from trouncing the man. He bought the entire family and Nip swore his allegiance for life. The house-elf was educated and often helped Severus in the lab.

"Yes, Nip."

"Mr. John is here. He said it is urgent that he sees you," Nip said.

"I am in a delicate stage right now; tell John to come to the lab" Severus said.

John was John Lestrange, Fisher's real identity.

A month after he had adopted Tom, the orphanage had been attacked and was burnt to the ground. Had it been in his time, he would have said it was a Death Eater attack.  Severus had previously organised with the Unspeakables to put certain monitoring charms on the orphanage, so they were notified and were able to get most of the children out. Two toddlers and the plump woman Hattie, who Severus had met, perished in the fire.  Severus had funded a new fully furnished facility for the orphanage which was now located in a large estate outside of London. 

After that attack, Severus told Fisher, Potions Master and Shadow his real story. He confessed who Tom really was; his life, including being a Death Eater, and Harry's whole life, including how they came back; and about Dumbledore and Grindelwald. After that the three revealed their true identities. He already knew Shadow's real form as she had revealed it to the children; her name was Hippona Sarah Morgan, she was a widow and had actually been a Malfoy before she was married (her brother Hyperion was Lucius Malfoy's grandfather). Potions Master was Gaylord Gadolin, Europe's top Potions Master; he was Finnish by birth but had sought asylum in Britain during World War 1. The potions master had publically announced Severus as his apprentice and potions partner.

The most shocking of the three however was Fisher. The fact that he was a Lestrange wasn't the shocking part, but the fact that he was almost the spitting image of Remus was.  He was bigger in size, had blue eyes, had a thin moustache and trimmed beard, but he was Remus. Severus knew that Remus' parents had changed their name after Remus was attacked because they had decided to keep him and not kill him. Severus assumed John was Remus' grandfather.  Despite looking like Remus, John had become Severus' best friend.

John came in and Severus waved his hand in the direction of a lab stool. John sighed, but sat. After five minutes, the potion had left the critical stage and Severus was able to put it in stasis.  He looked up at John.

"Okay, who died?" Severus said.

"No one... yet" John said.

"Let me guess that idiot apprentice Cetus Black destroyed my lab," Severus said guessing. Officially, Severus was an unspeakable (his code name was Aconite), but he mostly concentrated on potions and worked from home. He did have an assigned lab in the Ministry and went twice a week to check up on them (and harass Sarah).  Cetus Black was his assigned Apprentice. Like his great, great niece Nymphadora, the man was brilliant but a bit of a klutz and tended to break things, which was dangerous in a potions lab.

"No," John said sadly. 

Severus looked at the man. Something was definitely wrong; usually they enjoyed a friendly banter on Black's expense.

"John, what's wrong?" Severus asked seriously.

"Marvolo Gaunt came into the Ministry today asking to find his grandson.  He claimed that he had been looking for years for the whereabouts of his daughter and recently found out she had died giving birth to a son, someone who is his heir.  He has made a formal request to search for his missing grandson."

Severus felt like he had stopped breathing; this was not happening. "Albus... how dare he do this. No, I am not going to lose him; Tommy is my son. This did not happen before, Marvolo died before Tommy was born."

"Severus I don't know what to tell you. The man who came in today provided proof of his identity and started speaking parseltongue. I assume he was cursing."

"But Marvolo wanted nothing to do with his daughter, who abandoned her heritage by going with a muggle. He doesn't want Tommy, he wants the money... they don't care for him, I do. Harry does. He is my son."

 

"I really don't know his reasoning but... he... he has a legitimate claim Severus; he is Tom's blood relative," John said.

Severus shook his head.  "For two years Tommy has lived as my son. Two years... he cannot remember the orphanage. I am the only parent he has known. He and Harry are brothers. You cannot do this. I will fight..."

"Severus, calm down. You know I love Tommy and Harry as if they are my blood kin. I am closer to them than to my brother's children. I am here for you. We will figure this out together," John said, putting his hand on his friend's shoulder.

------

Marvolo Gaunt looked at the small wooden house that at one time used to be his dilapidated run down shack. It had taken a long time to build this home, but it was worth it. 

He opened the door and went inside; it was simple but homey. It reminded him of how things were when his wife Mafalda was alive. She had died when Merope was five. She would keep the place clean and used to fix things up.  He sighed. Mafalda was dead, so was Merope and now Morfin was away with that Grindelwald fellow. Morfin was given the chance he had never gotten; to explore the world.

He started eating his dinner at the dining table and thought about the last five years. 

Going to Azkaban had changed his life. For most of the six months, the dementors, for some reason never came near him.  He did have strange visions of Mafalda coming out of his ring and talking with him.  A week before he was scheduled to be released, his ring started burning; Mafalda came one last time. She told him that his ancestor, who had first gotten the ring, had gone mad and since then the madness had cursed the men in the family. She told him the true master of the ring was calling for it and told him he had to let it go; if he did then the family could heal. For the first time since his father had died, he took it off. There was a bright burst of light and it was gone.

After the ring disappeared, the dementors came and he saw the suffering he had caused.  His mind had cleared, but was plagued with the guilt of his madness.  When he was released, he went home and discovered his daughter gone. At first he was angry, but then as his mind cleared more and more, and his guilt increased, he knew that she had done what was best for her. 

He started to build his home; the forest provided the wood and his magic helped him do what was needed. He had been taught by his mother's father to carve items from wood using his magic.  So slowly, he built a small home, first with only a living room, kitchen and bedroom all with wooden furniture. He was on the second bedroom which was for his son Morfin when he came out of Azkaban, when Thomas Riddle came home... without Merope.

When he had left Azkaban, the Ministry had given him a set of robes and one set of muggle clothes, as he lived in a muggle area. He put on the muggle clothes (a pair of black trousers and a green shirt) and went to the Riddle Manor.  Since the madness had left him, he found himself more tolerant of the muggles and did not get into the raging anger that he used to get into. Now he actually found them pleasant.

Benedict Riddle had been outraged when he saw Marvolo and told him what his son Tom had gone through with his daughter, and now Tom was mad, talking about Merope putting a spell on him. Marvolo confessed to Benedict that Tom was not mad and he was telling the truth about Merope. He told the elder Riddle that he was a wizard and all about the magical world. He told them about the curse on his family and how all of this was his fault.  He apologised to them, both for his son and now his daughter who in all essence had raped Tom.  The Riddles agreed not to say anything about the magical world as people would think them mad. Tom told him where he had left the pregnant Merope.  Marvolo told them he would make sure that they would not be bothered again by his family.

Marvolo had searched for Merope and had not found her; he even asked someone in the Ministry for help, but the girl was an adult and they said she was within her right not to contact him if she did not want to. After a while he resigned himself that she was gone and promised if she ever returned she would be welcomed home and built a room for her.

When Morfin came home, it had taken him a while to physically heal, but the boy was like the living dead. Then, two weeks ago, the wizard Dumbledore approached him and told him about his grandson. Dumbledore told him that Merope had died giving birth to a son whom she named Tom Marvolo Riddle. The boy had been placed in an orphan home and had been adopted.  He had told Marvolo that he had tried to adopt the boy but corrupt people in the Ministry had taken him and placed him with people who wanted to use the boy for his heritage.

Dumbledore gave him two galleons to help him in his search for young Tom.  Morfin seemed to take to Dumbledore and his friend Grindelwald, and had gone with the blond on some adventure.  Marvolo did not trust the two wizards but he knew he could use them to find his grandson.  He did not begrudge Morfin for wanting adventure and had to admit that it was the first time in the year since he had left Azkaban, that his son seemed alive.

Even without the curse Morfin was an idiot and had an IQ of a sheep, but Dumbledore said this boy, this little Marvolo, was powerful; he could learn things. Marvolo knew that he was the only wizard alive who could teach his grandson about his heritage... his true heritage.  He had gone to the orphanage and was told that the Ministry of Magic was the only one who could tell him the whereabouts of his grandson. Mrs. Cole assured him that the man who adopted Tom was a good man.

After dinner he looked at the room he had once built for Merope and now needed to change for his grandson; it had a bed, chest of drawers and a bedside table but it was missing something. He went to the forest at the side of the house, and cut down a stout branch of a tree. He used his magic and cleared it and carried it to the side of the building.  He sat down and then, using his magic, carved the wooden hippogriff. By nightfall, he placed the wooden rocking hippogriff in the little boy's room. That was much better.

-----

Marvolo Gaunt was carving a foot tall wooden wizard when he felt the presence of others; he smelt them coming... wizards.

He put the half-finished toy down and moved to the side when he was surrounded by three powerful wizards in black robes... he had met these kind before and knew when to back down.

"What do you want, unspeakable?" Marvolo asked.

"Answer me truthfully; why are you looking for your grandson?"

"He is my grandson and I want him."

"He is a half-blood, part muggle."

"I know. His father lives in the house on the hill. Merope left a note told me what she'd done. I asked the boy when he returned, told me he left her. I searched for her but could not find her.  Then a wizard comes and tells me she died giving birth to a son... he may be half muggle but the other half is mine."

"And this has nothing to do with the Slytherin vaults?" the cold voice said.

"There is more to the Slytherin heritage than gold," Marvolo said seriously.

"If I arrange for you to have enough money for you and your son to live comfortably, will you leave the boy alone?"

"The boy is my heir," Marvolo said "She named him for me... she remembered the old ways and named him my heir."

Marvolo saw one of the unspeakables look at the wooden wizard he was carving. "You are making that for the boy?"

"It is none of your business but yes, a child needs toys".

"A child needs a parent who would love and take care of him.  Your grandson is in a loving family, with a father who cares about him and has a brother to play with and who thinks the world of him."

"There are things only I could teach him."

"Dumbledore and Grindelwald want the Slytherin gold and they want the boy as a weapon. I am sure they made a deal with you but they are using you to get the vaults."

Marvolo knew the man was telling the truth, he always knew when people lied; he hated liars. He knew Dumbledore and Grindelwald were liars but he was able to use them to get what he wanted.  Marvolo looked at the unspeakable, his robes covered his face and he looked like some human dementor, but there was something about him...

"You have him don't you... you took him to your home," Marvolo stated.

Aconite did not say anything.

Mavolo nodded. "Dumbledore said he would help me with the boy and would give me a galleon a month to help with expenses, and when he was old enough, more.  It is not the money; I could teach the boy about his magic, his heritage... you love him but he is my blood, my only real heir."

Aconite walked away and Fisher and Shadow followed.  Marvolo felt when they left.

----

"You know on some level he cares for Tommy," Sarah told Severus.

"Tommy is my son... my son," Severus said with tears in his eyes.

John looked at Sarah and the woman went to Severus, kneeling before him. "How would you feel Severus, if Harry disappeared and then you found out he died and had a child. You would fight tooth and nail to find that child, wouldn't you? I know you love Tommy. I am not saying to give him up. How about a compromise?"

Severus looked up at her questioningly.

Sarah explained. "Marvolo is right, as a parselmouth he can train Tommy and even Harry. Offer him a chance to be Grandpa."

"I don't know, the stories I have heard about Marvolo. He is a convicted felon," Severus said.

"I don't mean to be cruel, but so are you and you changed," Sarah said. Severus glared at her but she was immune to him.

"Severus, give him a chance and if he still wants to fight, you know we will help you fight. We will not let Grindelwald get his hands on Tommy, you know that," John said.

Severus nodded.

------

Marvolo was actually nervous; he had spent the night making a toy chest to put in the toys he had made.  The wizard came in; he was dressed in green and gold robes.

Marvolo looked at man closely; he looked around thirty (Severus had taken Harry's advice and fixed himself up), he had onyx eyes and he was handsome in a manly sort of way. He looked powerful and was very serious. Marvolo smelt his scent; he was the unspeakable who had come.

"I was surprised to get your invitation," Marvolo said.

"You were right, Tommy is your heir but I want you to understand that he is also my son and part of my family. I do not want to prevent you from seeing him, but he is my son," Severus said.

Marvolo nodded. This man truly loved his grandson.

"Are you ready?" Severus asked.

Marvolo picked up the heavy wooden chest and nodded.  In a flash, they were in a beautiful landscaped area, with a river and a lake on one side and a castle on the other. The castle was still being built, but Marvolo marvelled at how magnificent it already looked. He felt an immediate sense of peace, as if he was home.

"This place is truly magnificent!" Marvolo said in awe.

"I purchased this land two years ago and it really was just bush and rocks. Harry, my older son, absolutely loved it. He insisted I buy it and pestered me until I did. He drew the design of what he wanted and well... it has been a project of mine since then. I am really doing it for him," Severus said and Marvolo nodded.

Two goblins came running to Severus and one presented him with four dead quails, and the other held up six fish.  They bowed and ran off.

"I hired the goblins to rebuild the castle and have given them permission to hunt on the land. They present me with part of their hunt for my table."

Marvolo nodded, it was part of the old ways. He smiled when the house-elf came in and took the quail and fish and had bowed reverently.

They reached the small area which was the habitable residence. Marvolo saw another man and two women. The man and one of the women he had smelt before, these were the other unspeakables.  He looked around there were three little boys. He immediately made out Tommy; he was the image of the muggle Riddle.  It was definitely the muggle's child but he felt the strong magic, he smelt his blood.

Severus was right, he would very powerful.

Severus called Tommy forward, the three and a half year old looked scared but looked up at one of the other two boys. The bigger boy, who looked like he was six, had the most magnificent green eyes Marvolo had ever seen and did actually have a look like Tommy. The older boy held Tommy's hand and brought him forward.

Severus took Tommy from the other boy. "Tommy, this is your grandfather Marvolo."

Tommy looked at Severus and then at the man "I am Marvolo, Tommy Marvolo Septimiusss Reiner."

Marvolo smiled at the boy spoke with a slight hiss; he was a speaker. He decided to take a chance. "[Your momma named you after me, it is a good name.]"

"[You speak snake too,]" Tommy said with a smile.

To Marvolo's surprise, the older boy also spoke. "[You are a parselmouth?]"

 Marvolo looked at Severus, "I do not smell my blood in him, yet he speaks?"

"Yes because of his mother he speaks, but he is not related to you. He is my son Harry and he and Tommy are now brothers."

Marvolo nodded. He assumed it was one of the reasons why the man had chosen to adopt Tommy, because he had the same gift his son had.

Marvolo looked at Harry. "[Yes, I can speak snake and I can turn into one too; do you want to see?]"

Both boys nodded and Tommy squealed happily when his grandfather turned into a large snake and then turned back. Harry looked on in shock and wonder.

Harry immediately turned to his father. "I want to be snake. Daddy, can I be snake too?"

Severus raised an eyebrow. "I don't know, but if you do, it would only be when you are older. You are still too young."

Harry pouted and folded his arms giving Severus a ‘Snape glare'. "[You always say that. I wanna be snake now.]"

Severus did not know what Harry had said but he recognised the signs of the start of a tantrum. "Harry lose the attitude now young man or you will spend time in the corner.  Don't think because we have guests I would not put you there."

Marvolo watched as Harry looked at Severus and unfolded his arms. Tommy had started copying his older brother but had backed down when his father had scolded Harry.

Harry apologized for his rudeness.

Severus nodded. Then Sarah turned to Harry and said, "Harry your magic is too small to turn into a snake now.  When you get big and your magic gets big, you could try but not now, you could hurt your magic if you try now. Okay?"

Harry looked disappointed but nodded.

Severus looked over at Marvolo and then told the boys, "I am sure Grandpa Marvolo would teach you both when you get older."

Tommy and Harry both look at Marvolo. Marvolo nodded and Harry told Tommy in parseltongue, "[I told you your Grandpa would be nice]"

Marvolo looked a bit uncomfortable and pushed the toy chest forward. "I made these for Tommy but I guess they could share."

Tommy got excited when he saw the toys and immediately jumped on the rocking hippogriff when Severus took it out of the chest and put it on the ground. Harry called the other little boy over and they started playing with the wooden wizards. Marvolo smiled as he watched the boys playing.

Lunch was fantastic and Marvolo found Severus and his friends to be distinguished wizards. He found out that Severus had two homes but tended to spend the weekends here at the castle.  Marvolo understood why Harry loved this place; it had a magical feel to it.

After lunch the Lestranges left, but Sarah stayed to give Severus support. Harry and Tommy took a nap and Sarah and Severus took Marvolo on a tour of the place.  The grounds were now landscaped but maintained its rugged wild feel that Severus actually loved.  They walked for a bit and then Severus surprised Marvolo by asking about his ring.

Marvolo told him all that happened in Azkaban and what his wife's image had told him about the curse; how when he let it go, it burst into light. He asked Severus how he knew about the ring.

Severus told him that it was one of the things he had taken an interest in. Marvolo considered it was probably an unspeakable thing.

Severus considered Marvolo; Death had ‘taken' the ring before he and Harry had come back in time. Death must have considered Marvolo as having a role to play in this new world and so had spared him. It explained why Marvolo was still alive. The last time Marvolo still had the ring and the curse had taken him; without the ring and without the curse, he had found the will to live and survive. It also meant that Death had taken the Hallows and that they did not exist anymore.

"I actually have something for you," Severus said and they moved back to the castle.  Severus brought an item in a box and presented it to Marvolo.

He opened the box and saw his locket. The Slytherin locket Merope had stolen.

"She pawned it at Burgins in the final months of her pregnancy. I found it and recognised it for what it was. I bought it and was leaving it for when Tommy came of age, but I believe it is rightfully yours."

"Thank you, I really appreciate it.  You are a good man and Tommy seems happy with your family." Marvolo gave Sarah a smile and both she and Severus blushed. Marvolo had asked earlier if Sarah was Severus' wife but they both said they were just friends. Marvolo knew that there was more there, the two obviously had feelings for each, other even if they denied it; he smelt it. Regardless, he knew that Sarah was a mother figure to Tommy.

"I want you to be a part of Tommy's life.  There are things that you could teach him that I can't. I am hoping you will train Harry as well. I do not know of any other parselmouths alive and Harry's family..." Severus paused looking for the right words, "there are none alive who can teach him."

Marvolo nodded. "I would really like that, thank you."

"If you want, you could have a room here in the castle," Severus offered.

Marvolo shook his head. "No thank you, I have my own home. You need to be a family. I will come to visit often enough."

Severus gave Marvolo a small mirror which he could use to contact him. 

"Do you want me to inform Riddle?" Marvolo asked.

Severus considered it for a moment and Sarah told him it would be best. If Albus could not get Tommy through Marvolo then he might approach Thomas Riddle since he was the boy's biological father. The Wizengamot would not turn Tommy over to Thomas, but it would not mean that Albus would not try to use him.

Marvolo told him the Riddles were aristocratic snobs, but Thomas had a right to know about the fate of his legal wife and son. He told them that after Dumbledore had told him about Merope that he had gone to inform the Riddles, but Benedict Riddle and his wife had gone on vacation and were to return in a few days.  He told them that Thomas was rebuilding his life and he had heard that he was now studying at Cambridge University.  Severus was glad; in the original time, Thomas had been locked away in the house until the young Voldemort had killed him and his parents when the boy was seventeen.

Severus gave Marvolo a picture of Tommy for him to keep and another muggle version for the Riddles if they wanted it. He gave Marvolo permission to inform them, but to make it clear that even if they wanted to they could not claim him and to warn them against wizards like Albus and Grindelwald.

-----

Two weeks later Marvolo was in his garden when he felt the presence of a muggle entering his property.  He stood up and walked to the front of his home. It was Thomas Riddle.

-----

Severus was dressed in navy blue robes and Tommy was in baby blue robes when they apparated to the outskirts of Little Hangleton.  They entered Marvolo's property and Tommy looked around excitingly.

Marvolo opened the door before they reached it.  As they entered the house, Severus saw Thomas Riddle; he looked like a younger version of the Voldemort he met as a youth. He involuntarily shuddered.

Thomas kept staring at what could only be his son and was secretly glad he looked nothing like Merope. When his father had come to his University apartment and told him that Gaunt had informed them that Merope was dead, he cried... he was free. He could truly live his life. Then his father had informed him that he had a son who Merope had named Tom Riddle, but the boy had been put up for adoption and was now living with a magical family and had his name changed.  He was at first relieved when he was told he was not legally responsible for the child in any form or fashion, but then his father showed him the picture of the boy.

Now the little boy was in front of him. 

Thomas looked at the man who had adopted Tom. He was stern looking and had a confident and powerful way about him. Thomas felt as if he were in the presence of his high school Headmaster. The man, however, had a soft look in his eyes when he looked at the little boy.

Thomas Riddle did not know what to say and then Severus introduce Tommy to his biological father.

"Hello, Daddy saysss you are Tom like me," the boy said.

Thomas smiled. "Yes. I am Thomas but called Tom."

"I am Tom but called Tommy," the boy said firmly and Thomas had to laugh.

"Daddy saysss you have no magic."

"No. I am what you call a muggle" Tom said.

"Harry saysss mugglesss have their own magic called science," Tommy said.

"Yes, I am studying science. I am studying to be a doctor," Tom said and Tommy looked at Severus who told him Tom was studying to be a muggle healer and Tommy nodded.

"Aunty Sarah isss my healer and Daddy saysss I have to take shotsss but I don't like it," Tommy said twisting up his face.

"No, no one likes taking shots but it is very important," Tom replied.

"Yes, Daddy saysss I would get sick if I no take nasty shotsss and then you have to stay in bed all day. Harry did not take his shotsss and was sick for a whole week," Tommy said.

Severus gave Marvolo a look that he understood.

Marvolo asked Tommy if he wanted to help him make another wizard for his collection; Tommy jumped up in excitement and followed his grandfather outside.

Tom looked at Severus, who was looking at him as if looking into his soul.

Tom cleared his throat. "Tommy is obviously a happy intelligent boy; I have no intention of trying to take him away. I know he is a wizard like Merope and Gaunt and... like you. I cannot... he is better off with you."

"Even if you wanted, Wizarding law will not allow you to keep him, but I am glad you approve. Riddle, I want to make certain things clear to you. Tommy is nothing like Merope or Marvolo in power; he is exceedingly powerful. What power Merope had is like a drop of water compared to the bucket that Tommy has. I am sorry for what Merope did to you, but you understand in a horrible way what wizards could do to muggles. There are some wizards like myself and most in the Ministry of Magic who simply want to maintain the peace between the two worlds. For the most part that peace is kept, but at times there are wizards who wish to abuse their power. There is a wizard... actually two wizards... who wish to break that peace and right now are looking for Tommy."

Tom immediately looked concerned. "Why?  Because he is powerful?"

"Yes, Tommy is not only powerful; he is the heir to a noble line."

"The Slytherin line, Merope told me about them... I have all the memories of my time with her. She told me about her noble heritage."

Severus nodded. "The Slytherin line is highly revered in our world and Tommy is the heir. While it is important to have the blood line, you must also have the magical power which neither Merope nor her father has, however Tommy definitely has the power. He can claim the heritage. When I adopted Tommy, I intended on hiding him until he was able to fight on his own. These wizards tried to get him through Marvolo but he has agreed to leave Tommy with me... they may try to get him through you."

"I thought you said Wizarding law would not allow me to have Tommy?"

"They wouldn't; but it does not mean they would not try.  They want Tommy and his power and his wealth. The Slytherin vaults are filled with more money than you could imagine and only Tommy can access it."

"What about you?  Wouldn't you be able to access the wealth through Tommy? What are your plans for him?  Are you going to use his power?"

"I am a very powerful wizard in my own right. I have more wealth than what is in the Slytherin vaults. I will seal the vaults for him until he reaches adulthood."

"So you can protect him?"

"Yes.  And train him to control his magic. I have another son, Harry who is also powerful. I am training them both."

"He seems very intelligent."

"Which comes from you. Cambridge University does not take in dunderheads," Severus said and Tom laughed.

Severus continued. "His magic allows him to learn quickly. I have started teaching him how to read and write and other basics. He is going to be a challenge, but I think I am up for it."

Tom nodded and then said, "Tommy speaks strangely; he sort of hisses. I remember Morfin use to have a snake."

"Yes, like Merope and Marvolo and my other son Harry, Tommy can speak to snakes. In the magical world, there are several types of magic and this is akin to animal magic. Some wizards can talk to animals; some can turn into an animal. My mother could turn into a cat, her godson could turn into a stag and one of his friends could turn into a dog. It is all magic. He and Harry often speak the snake language when they are alone; especially when they are planning their tricks and pranks. However, I have been trying to get Tommy to control his hisses when he speaks in English."

Tom nodded and then said, "It is strange for me, and to be honest I am a bit uncomfortable with it all but I want to understand."

Severus nodded. "That is logical because of what Merope did to you.  She had no right to and had she lived and the Ministry of Magic found out, she would have been jailed."

"While it was a violation of the worst kind, part of me is a bit glad; Tommy is a beautiful child. If you don't mind, I would like to see him from time to time."

Severus nodded and gave him a card with his address. "You can send a letter here, the muggle way if you want, or you can send a message to Marvolo; he will reach us.  If you wish to, you may join us for Christmas dinner; your parents too if they want."

"Thank you," Tom said shaking Severus's hand. They went outside and saw Marvolo sitting on a bench with Tommy sitting in amazement as his grandfather passed his wand over the piece of wood and the magic sculptured the wood.

Tommy looked up as he saw his daddy and Tom. "Daddy look! Grandpa Marvolo isss making me a new wizard! Tom, come see!"

Tom looked on as Marvolo used his magic to make the beautifully sculpted wooden wizard. He then considered the wooden furniture in the house. "Mr. Gaunt, did you make all the furniture in the house as well?"

"Yes."

"It is all very beautiful, you are very talented. Would you consider making a custom piece for sale?" Tom asked.

Marvolo stopped what he was doing and looked at Tom. "You mean, sell to muggles?"

Tom passed his hand through his hair. "If you do not I would not be offended, but what you are doing is really beautiful and I saw some of the pieces inside. It is better than some of the things I have seen in London."

"Yes, Marvolo.  The toy chest and the toys you did for Tommy and Harry are exquisite. Even Sarah's brother Hyperion asked where we had gotten them as he wanted to purchase a rocking hippogriff for his son. If you wanted Marvolo, you could have a lot of sales both in the magical world and in the muggle world."

Marvolo considered it and then said, "Severus, if you help me with the prices and stuff I don't mind; I am not really doing much with my time."

Severus smiled. He hoped this started better relations between muggles and wizards.

 

To be continued...
End Notes:
Special thanks to hpfan4life for helping me beta this chapter.
Chapter 5: Greatest Wizard in the World by Keats

Severus stood in Diagon Alley looking at a shop window. He had put this off for so long but he knew he had to. Tomorrow was Harry's ninth birthday and he knew the boy wanted a broom. He was still debating it when he felt a strong magical presence next to him. He smiled.

"You know you have put this off long enough.  His eyes are now totally healed and he no longer wears glasses, so you no longer have that excuse," Sarah said coming to stand next to him.

"I know, but I also know him. He will be flying around at break neck speeds. I will soon have to deal with broken bones and bruises and..." Severus said.

"I am a healer Severus; I can heal a bone in seconds."

"But you don't live with me," Severus said.

Sarah looked at him and whispered. "And why is that?"

Severus turned sharply and looked at her as he bit his lip. She smiled when she saw him turn beet red.  The two of them had been dancing around each other for the last five years. It had been driving John crazy. He had often partnered them on missions or on projects, just to get them together. Severus, however, always held back.

"Don't you think it is time you took care of the last of the promises you made to Harry?" Sarah asked, slipping her hand in his.

Severus smiled and squeezed her hand.  She laughed and pulled him into the store.

The two had a late lunch at one of the side cafes on Diagon Alley.  They were laughing and were enjoying each other's company outside of work, when Severus heard a voice he recognised.

"Mrs. Morgan, it has been a while," Albus Dumbledore said as he came over.

Severus had seen the man in passing a few times and even at a few functions they had attended together, however he avoided the man like the plague. As an unspeakable, he had tried as much as possible to counteract all of the man's schemes and had monitors on him. All reports said that Grindelwald had permanently left Britain and had not been in contact with Dumbledore for over a year. According to Severus' knowledge of History, it had been sometime last year that Dumbledore had originally started a partnership with Flamel. However in this time, Severus had intervened. He had confessed to Flamel and had shown him some of his memories. Nicholas and his wife Perenelle were now enjoying the second year of a ten year trip around the world. It was John's guess that with Dumbledore constantly failing (first losing Tom and the Slytherin fortune and then Flamel), that Grindelwald had no longer thought the man useful. 

Sarah looked up at Albus and smiled. "Albus Dumbledore, how are you? Yes, indeed it has been a while.  Albus, this is my friend Severus Reiner. Severus this is Albus Dumbledore, Transfiguration teacher at Hogwarts."

Severus stood and bowed.

"Severus Reiner, Potions Master. I have heard a lot of good things about you" Albus said with a smile.  "Hogwarts is currently looking for a potions professor; however we would never be able to afford someone of your calibre."

"I am too tied to my research. May I suggest a young man by the name of Horace Slughorn? I met him at the recently concluded Potions Conference; he might be a good option." Severus took out a gold pen and with a wave of his hand, transfigured a leaf from the floral arrangement on the table into a piece of parchment. He wrote down Slughorn's name and current address before handing it to Albus.

Albus nodded and thanked him. Looking at Severus, he said, "You use a muggle pen; are you muggleborn or half-blood per chance?"

"No, I am pureblood.  However, I have a very good muggle friend and this was his gift last Christmas. I am not British so I do not have your hang-ups over blood. I judge people by their actions rather than their power, wealth or blood," Severus said seriously.

Albus smiled and nodded, wishing them well before leaving. Severus glared at the man as he left. Albus had that twinkle in his eye that Severus knew well. The man was scheming. Whether he was still with Grindelwald or not, Severus knew not to turn his back on the man.

-------

The following morning, Harry woke to see a slim broom-shaped package on his bed.

Severus was enjoying his morning coffee and smiled as he heard the excited scream all the way in the dining room. In less than a minute, a blur in green pyjamas launched himself at him. Severus and his chair went toppling over.  Right as the chair was about to hit the floor, a cushion of air was created and the chair landed gently on the floor.

"Thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you! You are the greatest dad in the whole world!" Harry shouted.

"You are welcome son. Now let this old man up," Severus said. Harry climbed off and Severus stood up and righted the chair.

"Now young man; the rules," Severus said and Harry groaned. Severus gave him a glare and Harry looked up at him with puppy dog eyes. Severus shook his head. "Rules; One, you have to ask permission to go flying. For now you will only do so when an adult is around. Two, you are not to take your brother up on the broom; he is too little. Three, the broom is your responsibility. I do not want to see it lying around; you have to polish it and trim it on your own. Four, I have protections on the broom, so you will not be able to go higher than 25 feet..."

"Daaaaad."

"Don't Dad me; no higher than 25 feet. You are not to try and break the protection on the broom. Okay, that's it. If I think of any other rule I will tell you."

Harry considered it and nodded before hugging his dad one more time. "Thanks dad. I really love it."

Severus hugged him back. After a minute he said, "Okay go shower and change. We leave for Scotland after breakfast. If it is not raining, I can give you a lesson on the broom."

Harry smiled. "Thanks dad." Harry ran back up to his room.

A few minutes later, the house-elf, Misty (Nip's wife) came down with six-year old Tom. The boy was excited. He talked about the upcoming party with a happy chatter. Harry came back down and brought his broom.

"No brooms at the table Harry," Severus said sternly. Harry sighed and handed the broom to Misty when she came back in.

Tom kept looking at the broom, longingly.

"When you are Harry's age you will get your own," Severus said as he put out breakfast for the boys.

"[Don't worry little bro; you will get to ride mine soon,]" Harry said.

Severus glared at Harry. He knew the rules; it wasn't polite to speak in parseltongue when there were others at the table. "Now Tom, I have already told Harry that he cannot take you up on his broom with him, so don't even bother to ask him. Understand young man?"

"Yes Daddy," Tom said while giving Harry a look. Tom knew from Harry's smile that his brother had already found a way around his dad's rule.

After breakfast Severus told his sons to get their things to go to Scotland.  As the two entered the nursery, Tom jumped on Harry's bed.

"[Harry?]"

Harry smiled. "[Dad said I could not take you up, but he did not say I cannot let you go up on your own.]"                                                                                                             

Tom smiled; his big brother was the smartest and best big brother ever.

Harry looked at him. "[Now Dad is taking us home early so he can teach me how to fly. This seems important to him. Do not tell him Regi taught me already and that I already know how to fly. He has to think that this is my first time on a broom. Got it little cobra?]"

Tom nodded.

"[Okay, get your stuff. Remember Abraxas will be there and Regi's cousins Rene and Adele will be at the party.]"

"[Can't I stay with you?]"

Harry looked at Tom. "[Tommy you know you are my number one brother and you get to play with me all the time. Your friends are coming and you will have fun playing with them.  When they leave we will play together.]"

Tom sighed. "Okay Harry."

Harry ruffled his brother's hair so it would look a bit like his always messy hair.

-----

Harry smiled. When they arrived at Willow Castle in Scotland they saw it was a beautiful day.  The castle ballroom was decorated with all sorts of party decorations.  Both Tommy and Harry went into the room excitingly.

"Hey, I was wondering when you all would arrive," a deep voice said.

"Grandpa!" the boys said as one and ran up to Marvolo, hugging him. Marvolo had spent the last few days at the castle.  He had a room in the castle but still lived in Little Hangleton. He was now a successful businessman, selling hand crafted pieces by order only. Severus had even hired him to do some work in the castle.  His clientele were only the elite.

"Happy birthday little mamba," Marvolo said giving Harry a squeeze.

"Thanks Grandpa," Harry said. Even though Marvolo was not his biological grandfather, Harry considered him as such. Marvolo also thought of the boy as his grandson and would in fact tell people that he had two grandsons.

"So where is my gift?" Harry asked and Marvolo waved his wand, producing a box. In it was a wooden bow and a set of arrows.

Harry's eyes shone. "Thanks Grandpa."

Marvolo nodded. "I got permission from your dad to teach you how to hunt, so this weekend we are all going camping."

Harry and Tommy jumped up. "Yeah!"

Severus came in and gave a nod to Marvolo before looking at Harry. "Ready for your first flying lesson?"

Harry nodded and left excitingly with his dad. Tommy looked up at his grandfather. "Where is my present?"

"Tom, you know today is Harry's birthday, and you knew he would be getting presents and you wouldn't."

"I know, but you always make me a present. I want to learn to hunt too," Tommy said giving his grandfather a pout.

"You know those pouts don't work on me. But... how about I teach you how to make something?"

"Is it something special?" Tommy asked.

"Yes, it is something special," Marvolo said and Tommy nodded.

------

Severus looked on as Harry fumbled on the broom. He remembered Harry's first real flying lesson. The boy was a natural on the broom and even though the memories were erased, his natural talents weren't. He expected the boy to be soaring in the sky.  He looked at the boy and then it came to him.

"Harry, come here," Severus said gesturing for the boy to come over.  Harry lowered the broom and came over.

Severus looked at him. "Tell me the truth.  Have you flown before and are now pretending you can't?"

Harry gaped. How his dad knew everything was beyond him. Severus put his finger under Harry's chin and closed his mouth.

"I am waiting for an answer son."

Harry nodded. "Yes sir, Regi taught me last year when we stayed with them for two weeks."

Severus sighed.

It was a sigh Harry knew well; it was usually followed by a scolding and a smack on his bum, but it didn't come. Harry suspected his dad did not want to punish him on his birthday.

"I know you wanted to teach me, but I really, really wanted to learn and Regi had a broom since he was seven. I am sorry," Harry said.

"Go on. Remember my rules; no higher than twenty five feet." The boy grinned and was off in a flash. Severus looked at the boy in the air and shook his head. This was the Harry he knew.  Reginald Lestrange may have taught him a few basics, but some skills you just had naturally.

He conjured a lawn chair, sat back and watched.

-------

As a very last minute decision, Severus asked Nip and Misty to move the party outside. It really was a beautiful day.  Most of the parents dropped their children off, grateful for a day off. Among those that stayed was Hyperion Malfoy. Severus and ‘Ian' were cordial, mostly due to Sarah and his son Abraxas.

Ian sent Abraxas off with Tommy and the two boys went off happily together.

Ian came over to Severus. "My sister said you needed to speak with me."

Severus shook his head.  Sarah had said he would have to talk to her brother, but he did not want to do it now.

Ian smiled. "If it is what I hope it is, my answer is yes. Sarah was forced to marry as soon as she was sixteen. She was lucky her husband, Andrew, was one who encouraged her to continued studying. They were happy, but the muggle war affected us more than people like to admit. She was a widow at age nineteen. There were many who wanted her to re-marry, but she put all her efforts into becoming a healer like Andrew. Most found it romantic and a tribute to his legacy. But she has been alone for a long time. I know what she really does and by extension I can assume you are as well. I just want to see her happy."

Severus nodded. "I do have strong feelings for her and I know my boys do as well. Don't worry. I want to see her happy too."

Ian smiled.

The party was better than Severus had expected and by the time the last of the children had left, Harry and Tommy were exhausted.  Exhausted but happy.

Severus went into the nursery and saw that the two boys had already showered and were in their pyjamas. He looked at the room; to one side was a play area that had a whole stack of toys scattered on the floor, which he knew had to be Tommy's doing. On the other side of the room was a table and chairs next to a library. On the table there was a stack of things Harry had received as presents. Severus saw it was divided into two piles and assume Harry was giving the second pile to Tommy. The wrapping paper was neatly folded on the ground. He shook his head. He went over and tucked the boys into their beds, removing the broom from under Harry's covers and putting it away.

Severus decided to ask his sons. "What do you guys think of Aunt Sarah?"

"She is the coolest Dad, for a girl and for a healer," Harry said.

"I think she is really pretty," Tommy added.

"What would you think if I started dating Aunt Sarah?" Severus asked.

"Dating?  What does dating mean?" Tommy asked.

Harry grinned. "You mean like making her our mummy?"

"Well, not yet, but in time yes," Severus replied.

"I would like a mummy," Tommy said. He had often looked at Emily with Reginald and Jeanette with Abraxas.

"That would be great Dad; she would take care of us and you too," Harry said.

Severus smiled. "Okay, what story do you want us to read tonight?"

"Dad, I am nine years old now. I'm too old for you to read me a bed time story," Harry said.

Severus nodded and sat on the edge of Tommy's bed instead of the arm chair in the middle of the two beds. "I know, I will just be reading to Tommy tonight." Tommy smiled and cuddled up closer to his dad. "Okay Tommy, what story do you want to hear?"

"Peter Rabbit," Tommy said.

"That story is for babies," Harry said.

"But this story is only for Tommy, who is still my little baby," Severus said lifting Tommy and sitting him on his lap. Tommy laughed and snuggled up comfortably. Harry looked at them longingly.

"It's Harry's birthday dad, he has to choose the story."

"Okay Harry, you choose the story for Tommy to listen to," Severus said.

Harry smiled and said, "I think Tommy would enjoy the story of the Three Hallows."

Tommy scrunched up his nose as he found that story scary, but then considered he was on his daddy so it would be safe.  Severus looked at Tommy who nodded.

"Okay Tommy, you know what to do." 

Tommy raised his hands. "Ready? Accio Story Three Hallows." Severus used his wand and did the movements. Tommy said the words as well and moved his hand in the same way Severus moved his wand. Severus noticed Harry doing it as well, but was trying not to show he was doing the nightly story time magic spell.

The book came from the shelf, but instead of going to Severus it went straight to Harry. Harry looked at it in shock. Severus nodded; he expected Harry to be able to do wandless magic and was not surprised he would do so at an early age.

"Well, if the book went to Harry, you know what that means?" Severus asked.

"What?" Harry asked, still looking at the book in shock.

"That you have to read the story tonight. You may be too old to listen to the story, but you are just old enough to start reading the stories for your brother," Severus said.

Tommy grinned.

Harry smiled and got out of his bed. Severus raised his eyebrow but smiled when Harry went to sit on the armchair in the middle of the beds where he normally sat.

Harry opened the book and started reading. Soon, Tommy was asleep and Harry looked on proudly as Severus put the sleeping boy under the covers.  He got off the armchair, leaving the book on the chair, and went back to his own bed. When Severus came over, Harry asked if he thought the story was true.

"Yes I do. There are many stories that are based on real things that happened," Severus said.

"I think it would have been cool to have the cloak of invisibility or the wand... not so much the ring."

"Yes, well there are some magical things that may seem cool to have but are really dangerous. The two brothers who owned the ring and the wand, wanted their gifts but it turned out to be bad for them. It turned on them because it was too powerful. You have to know when something is too powerful for you. Not everything you want is good for you."

Harry nodded.

Severus tucked Harry in once more "I hope you had a good birthday," he said.

"It was the greatest. Thanks dad.  And dad could you... could you check my presents and see if they are good for me?" Harry asked, pointing to the table.

"Of course son, that's what I am here for; to make sure nothing harms you."

Harry smiled. "You're the greatest, dad."

Severus smiled and thought that while the Hallows led others to their death, it led him to life.

-----

A week later, Severus and Sarah went on their first public date; it was the Potter Annual Summer Affair. Severus did not normally attend the various pureblood balls, however Ian said it would be good for him and Sarah to be seen together in public.

Severus had on dark green and silver robes and Sarah had on silver and mint-green robes.  Harold and his wife Elizabeth greeted them graciously.  Severus had a good relationship with the couple; Harold Potter was one of the Senior Aurors in the DMLE, and Nip and Misty's daughter Ella was apprenticing with the Potter's elf healer Tod.

Severus had been to Potter Manor a few times; it was, however, the first time he had entered the ballroom. It was like a fairy tale. He was really upset with Albus; this was where Harry should have grown up, instead of a cupboard.  Sarah whispered to him and told him not to look so depressed.

They saw Ian and immediately went to him.  Soon John and his wife Emily came. Severus took Emily out on the dance floor and John took Sarah.  Then they switched.  After a few dances, Severus was able to take Elizabeth Potter out on the dance floor.

"You and Sarah make a beautiful couple. Are we going to be getting an invitation to an engagement party soon?" Elizabeth asked and Severus laughed.

"Soon, but not too soon; possibly Christmas or even next year."

"Don't wait too long, I think I see Regulus Black eyeing her," Elizabeth said and Severus looked up sharply, scowling.

She laughed. "You know you almost look like Tiberius Prince; I never really noticed it before. He was supposed to be here, but his wife Miriam went into labour this morning."

Severus looked at her and then thought about the date. His mother was going to be born in two days.

"I myself will be in her shoes for the Prince Ball next June," Elizabeth said with a laugh.

"You're pregnant?" Severus asked in shock. He knew Harold and Elizabeth were James Potter's parents. James was born very late in Elizabeth's life; she would joke and said she thought she had gone into menopause but found out later she was pregnant. James had been their only child. Obviously, she had had a miscarriage.

"Yes and I am very excited. Harold and I are planning on having at least six children," Elizabeth said with a laugh.

Severus thought; no wonder James was so spoilt.

"Well congratulations, I hope things go well," Severus said and Elizabeth gave him a smile that was Harry's when he was truly happy.

Finally, dinner was announced and Elizabeth and Harold invited Severus and Sarah to sit next to them. Unfortunately, Albus Dumbledore was also invited to sit close to them.

Ten minutes into the dinner, Albus started discussing Hogwarts policies on muggleborns and his opinion that underage children should not be allowed to do magic outside of school. Cygnus Black, Edgar Bones who was head of the DMLE, and Harold were seriously listening to him.

Severus put down his knife and fork and joined the conversation. "It is unfair to the muggleborns. As a pureblood, you would be able to practice with your parents within your manor; however the muggleborns would not be able to practice. So what would happen is that the purebloods, who already have an advantage growing up in this world, would have a greater advantage and the muggleborns would always be at a disadvantage."

"But what about the statutes of secrecy? I had to go recently to change a young lad, a muggle, who had been turned into a frog because his muggle-born girlfriend had caught him cheating," Harold stated.

"It is because of incidences like that which make us want to pass this new law," Albus stated.

Severus turned to Dumbledore. "And how many incidences like that do you have on average a year?"

"One at most two," Harold said.

"So for the most part, the muggleborns have not broken the secrecy. You are jeopardizing the welfare of all muggleborn and their families because of the incidences of one or two individuals," Severus argued.

"It is not so simple, you were not in Britain for the muggle war; muggleborns were forced by their families to use magic in horrible ways; many died because they could not control their magic. Pureblood children have their parents to help control their magic, muggleborns don't," Cygnus Black said.

Severus shook his head. "But what about protecting themselves? I may not have been here in Britain, but I have experienced more war than I would like and I know several muggleborn children who died after hesitating to use magic because they were told not to use it. I know of crimes against muggleborn, simply because they are different and because they could not fight back."

"Well of course they are different; they are muggleborn they have less magic, smaller cores. Magic is not natural to them," Hesper Black stated.

"That is not true Hesper and you know it," Elizabeth said. "Look at Richard Evans. His family are purebloods but he does not have much magic. The Blakes are dying out, they too are pureblood; I believe the child Horton is a squib.  And take Edwin Moody, he is a muggleborn and the finest Auror in the corps."

Severus nodded. "I think purebloods are secretly afraid of losing their status as being all knowing and come up with more and more laws to keep themselves in high standings, but it will be their downfall."

Edgar Bones asked Severus to explain.

Severus put down his knife and fork and explained. "100 years ago, most muggles were poor, uneducated individuals. The average muggle did not know how to read or write. Only the Lords of the muggle world, the elite, were educated. So when a muggleborn came to the wizarding world, the mere concept of education was something they never expected or had. So the pureblood wizards were looked upon as saviours, heroes; something akin to demi-Gods. The muggleborn would take years to catch up with basic reading and writing and would be considered slow or stupid. But then slowly, the muggles started introducing basic education; more and more children were taught at least the basics. Muggle intellects like Edison and Morse came up with science that rivalled some of the things that are common in the magical world. Muggleborns coming into the magical world were therefore no longer astounded and mesmerized by the magic and actually started school already knowing how to read and write and therefore would learn the magic faster. Purebloods were accustomed to being treated like gods so they felt threatened as muggleborns were no longer looking at them with wide eyed wonder, but were actually doing better than they were in school."

"So you think we feel threatened?" Edgar asked.

Severus looked at him. "In a sense, yes. The muggle world is seeking to improve itself; have any of you driven in an automobile, gone to a movie, seen an airplane, or experienced electricity? These things are marvellous. We as wizards should seek to improve ourselves as well. We have become stagnant; a lot of the spells we use are hundreds of years old.  At Hogwarts, there are things that are done the same way as they were done in the time of the founders.  The banking system is hundreds of years old and most of the laws are feudalistic at best. Within forty years, the muggles will be able to go to the moon and we would still be riding our broomsticks."

"Is that why you work on cures for the werewolves and create so many new, improved versions of potions and spells?" Harold asked.

"Yes. We have to keep changing or we will die. With very few exceptions, the changes that have been made in the wizarding world in recent times have actually come from muggleborn. If we purebloods don't do something, the muggleborn will take over," Severus said.

"Maybe the solution would be to get rid of the muggles," Cygnus said. To Severus' horror, quite a few people laughed.

Severus shook his head. "And what would that solve? We would still be stagnant and still be dying out. The problem is not the muggles; it is us. If we need to get rid of the muggles to feel superior, then we are fooling ourselves. If we improve ourselves and rise above them, then we have actually proven that we are in fact superior. The problem is we are afraid to find out we aren't, so we don't even try and continue to belittle and bring the muggles and muggleborn down," Severus said and he saw a few wizards nodding.

Then Harold suddenly gasped and took off his glasses, wiping his face. Elizabeth looked at him. "Is everything okay?"

"Yes, I am okay. Just the excitement of the day," Harold said and everyone nodded. Severus saw Harold take a glass of wine and then smile, but he knew something was wrong.

Cygnus smiled at Severus. "What would you change at Hogwarts?"

"Well, I was never a student there so I could not give you specific examples, but in general, the first thing would be to have a two-month orientation with the muggleborn students before they enter school. A muggleborn does not even know what magic is and most likely considers the things they could do as freakish and abnormal. They get their letter and are told to report to school come September 1st and they then have to start school with everyone else..."

"But a teacher takes them to get their things and explains how things work," Albus interjected.

Severus shook his head. "For how long? An hour... two and the child is still trying to grapple with the idea of being magical to really get what the teacher has said. What is needed is for the child and even their family to spend time in the magical world.  Learning about how things work, what magic really is all about, spending time understanding and acclimatising. It would also give the school time to find out how to best deal with a particular child."

"So if the child can't read or write, you could take the time and teach them beforehand so they would be ready when school starts," Elizabeth said and Severus nodded.

"Or if the child was abused or mistreated. I know of one case where the child was beaten almost daily and locked in a cupboard for showing signs of being possessed by the devil. A child like that needs time to understand that they are not the devil's spawn but are simply magical. A child like that cannot be just given a letter and a two-hour tour, then start school normally come September 1st" Severus said.

Albus nodded. "A child like that would have a lot of problems in school. I understand your point; it does have merit, but an orientation like that would require a lot of work, coordination and no offense, but we teachers need our holidays."

Everyone laughed.

"I don't think it would be that difficult. All you would need to do is have the muggleborn child live with a wizarding family for two months before they enter Hogwarts," Cygnus suggested.

Severus nodded and smiled. "Exactly. I know I don't mind hosting a child or two for those two months."

Hesper frowned. "I understand the children, but you said the families as well."

"The families would not be required to stay the two months, just possibly a weekend or two so they can come to understand the dealings of the magical world, the laws, the banking, and how to get in contact with the magical world if needed."

Edgar laughed. "I remember one muggle parent went into Scotland Yard demanding access to the magical world or to see someone about his son, who had done something horrible at Hogwarts, and the school sent the parent a letter. The man wanted to punish his son but couldn't do more than send a letter back with the school owl. If he were magical he would have gone to the school and given the boy a sound whipping which was what his friends got."

Everyone laughed and Cygnus said, "In that case, it worked well for the lad."

After the laughter died down Severus said, "But the fact is, the parent had no way of getting to his son. I think a support group is needed. Not just a magical guardian, but a group of muggle and magical parents getting together."

"But isn't all of that just giving the muggleborn more power over us?" Hesper asked.

"No, I believe that by doing this, the muggleborn would learn more about our culture and our beliefs. Yes we want change, yes we need to adapt, but it does not mean we have to lose our culture or our heritage. By training the muggleborn to our heritage from the beginning, they could get a better understanding of what it means to be a wizard.  As it is, there are two groups in our society, them and us. There is no need for that separation; I think it should just be us magics. We can both learn from each other," Severus said and several of the group nodded.

Before Hesper could reply, a house-elf appeared and handed Severus a note. It was from Marvolo, who was at home babysitting the two boys; there was an emergency and he asked if Severus and Sarah could come immediately.

Severus explained that he had an emergency and asked to be excused. Harold looked at Severus and said, "I think I should come with you. I don't know why, but my magic is pulling me. Please everyone, if you would excuse me, I will return shortly."

Elizabeth nodded and Harold left with Severus and Sarah.

They used the floo back to Willow Castle. Nip met them immediately and explained. Marvolo had sent the boys to bed, but Harry took Tommy outside to fly. Tommy went up on the broom on his own and could not control it. Tommy fell and now Harry was missing.

Severus ran up to the nursery, where Marvolo was looking dead white.  An unconscious Tommy was on the bed, both his legs were broken; his right leg had a bone sticking out. He was very pale and part of his chest was literally blue.  Sarah immediately pulled her wand and started diagnosing him. She told Nip to get certain potions from Severus' private lab.

"He will live but it is really bad," Sarah said as she started casting spells on the boy.

Severus turned to Marvolo. "Where is Harry?"

"I don't know. I heard the scream and ran out and when I saw Tommy, he looked dead. I knew he was still alive. Harry was crying and asked me if Tommy was going to die and I said I didn't know. Harry started screaming and then I told him I was going to call you... I didn't mean it as a punishment or anything. Harry said he was a murderer and just disappeared."

"He apparated out. He did it before when he thought he was in mortal danger," Severus said. "Misty!"

The house-elf came immediately, as if knowing what he was going to ask she said, "I do not sense Master Harry in the castle. I sent Ella to Reiner Manor to see if he is there."

Severus nodded.

Nip came back with the stock of potions and Sarah started spelling the potions into Tommy. They saw the difference in Tommy within a minute.

"Tommy will be okay. He may have a slight limp on his right leg," Sarah said.

Severus shook his head. "No. Banish the bone; we can re-grow it."

"Re-grow the leg? Is such a thing possible?" Harold asked.

"Yes, the potion is classified," Severus said.

"Is it experimental?" Harold asked.

Severus shook his head. "No, just classified. I will go and get the potion."

As he turned to leave, Ella came in looking panicked. "He is not at Reiner Manor and I checked with Tibbs, the Lestrange house-elf, and he is not there either."

Severus grew pale but took a deep breath. "Think Severus. Think of where he would be." Severus closed his eyes. Harry would go somewhere safe. If he had his memories, he would have gone to Hogwarts or even Privet Drive, but he didn't; unless somewhere in the back of his mind, the memories still existed.  He decided to check.

Marvolo and Harold said they would go with him. Severus first went to a secret room under the castle (Harold and Marvolo stood outside), where he had the Potter and Black libraries. He got the Marauders Map, which Harry had brought with him from the future.  They then left Willow Manor and apparated to just outside the castle. Since it was summer, the school gate was closed. Severus took them to a secret passageway to get inside the school. He told them he just needed to be on the grounds. He took out the map and checked. There were three residents in the castle and no one else. Severus sighed and shook his head.

They then went to Privet Drive. The area was still meadow. Once more Severus shook his head. They went to Marvolo's and even to Thomas at Cambridge University Hospital (who packed his bags and asked Marvolo to take him to Willow Castle). Not knowing where else to try, they went to the Burrow; again it was a dead end. Dejected, Severus said he did not know what to do.

Harold put his hand on Severus' shoulder and said he knew Harry was alright; he was scared and cold, but alright.

Severus looked at Harold. He knew Harold had felt Harry's distress. Harry was still a Potter and Harold was Lord Potter. Severus thought of it and then an idea hit him. "We have to get to Willow Castle now."

They returned to the castle and Severus ran to the nursery. Tommy was now looking more like himself and Sarah said he would be fine.  She had put him in stasis but would be healed in a few days.

"Wake him up," Severus said.

Sarah looked at him "No, Severus. I don't think he could help..."

"Sarah, trust me. Wake him up," Severus said.

Sarah looked unsure. Severus looked at her, pleading, and against her own training as a healer, she used the counter spell to release Tommy from the stasis. It took them five minutes to properly wake him and then another five to get him to calm down.

"Tommy, I want you to close your eyes and think of Harry. See if you can find him in your mind," Severus said.

Marvolo shook his head. "The boys are close, but I do not think they are magically connected."

Sarah looked at Severus; she knew what he was thinking. "It wouldn't work; Tommy is not connected to him."

"Harry is connected to Tommy.  The scar is still there. The power is dormant, but it is there," Severus said.  "Tommy, call Harry. Call him out loud."

Tommy concentrated and called Harry. "I hear him. Daddy, I hear him!"

"Ask him if he recognises where he is?"

Tommy concentrated. "He says he doesn't know; he said it is dark and he is cold."

"Ask him if he sees anything or hears anything."

Tommy looked at them. "[He says he sees a door with snakes.]"

Severus looked at Marvolo who translated. Severus immediately thought about the Chamber of Secrets. He started breathing hard.  The Basilisk was still alive. He closed his eyes. He knew Harry would not die, but he was horrified at what could happen.

"You know where he is?" Harold stated more than asked.

Severus nodded but said, "Tommy, tell him to ask the snakes if they are the gate to Salazar's chamber."

Tommy sent the message.  After a few minutes, Tommy shook his head "[He says they say they are home]."

Marvolo looked at Tommy and then at Severus. Severus saw the man's mind working and then the old man said, "He is here. This is home. This is home for us parselmouths.  To Harry, Tommy, and I this is home; it is why we feel so at peace. He is in a hidden chamber somewhere here in the castle."

"I went to our hidden chamber he was not there," Severus said.

Marvolo shook his head. "You built this castle over the ruins of another castle. That previous castle or the original castle must have had another secret chamber."

"But where?" Thomas Riddle asked.

"The goblins may know," Severus said. In twenty minutes, the head goblin that had helped build the castle for Severus was there.

"Flint, did you or any of your men ever find any secret passages or caves under the castle when you were building?" Severus asked.

The goblin shook his head. "No, or we would have told you." 

Severus' face showed his disappointment.

The goblin then said, "There was a spot, however, that we tested to build the astronomy observatory, but we found the spot unstable. If there is any area that may have an underground cave, it may be there."

"Take us," Severus said as he lifted Tommy from the bed. Sarah wanted to protest, but she trusted Severus.

The goblin, Flint, took them to an indoor garden where Severus grew his potions ingredients. Severus asked Tommy to call Harry again.

"I hear him really loud Daddy," Tommy said.

Severus gave Tommy to Sarah before using his magic to dig a hole. Marvolo and Harold joined in. Then the earth started sinking. Sarah ran to the side with Tommy.  They all moved and Severus did not have time to tell Tommy to warn Harry. The entire hole sank in. Within a minute they saw the cave underneath.

Harold sent a light down and they saw Harry looking up at them. Harry started crying when he saw his dad. Severus jumped down and practically flew the twenty feet down from the bottom of the hole to the floor where Harry was.

"Daddy, I am so sorry I..." Harry started and was immediately silenced by the strong hug. He felt so much safer. He knew he was probably going to get the worst spanking of his life, but he was safe.

"Let's get out of here now," Severus said.

"I am going to conjure a rope Severus, and I will send it down to you," Harold shouted.

Severus shook his head. "No, that will not be necessary.  Just stand aside." He looked down at Harry and said, "Let me show you something Reginald Lestrange could never teach you." He picked the boy up and without a broom flew up to the surface where a shocked Sarah, Tommy, Marvolo, Harold, Thomas and Flint looked at him.

"You could fly really, really fly!" Harry shouted with excitement.

Severus saw Harold staring at Harry. Severus knew that besides the emerald green eyes, Harry looked very much a Potter.

Then Harry shouted, "You are the greatest wizard in the world Dad."

Harold looked at Severus and gave him a nod. It was a nod Severus understood; Harold accepted Harry as Severus'.

Severus looked at his two boys, Sarah and even Marvolo; he smiled and felt like the greatest wizard in the world.

To be continued...
End Notes:
Special thanks to hpfan4life for helping me beta this chapter.
Chapter 6: A Year to Remember by Keats

By December, Harry was in the air once more. His father had told him he would not get another broom for a year. Marvolo, however, took pity on the boy and showed both him and Tommy how to make their own brooms.  It took Harry three months to make a decent broom that could fly. He loved this broom more than the last because he had made it himself. Reginald could not understand it; the broom was not as pretty and could not go as high or as fast as the last broom, but Harry loved it.

Tommy was determined to make his own as well. Severus knew it would probably take him all year. The boy had a stubborn streak that Severus was happy was channelled into something creative.

Sarah was now a regular at the castle (though she did not stay the night), and Marvolo now had a cottage on the grounds. The parselmouth Chamber was now Marvolo's project. He still had his business going, but he also worked on the chamber. The first change was building a staircase going down to the main chamber. They had braved opening the iron snake door and found a large passageway leading about a mile down which opened into a large room with a raised platform, a river running through and wild vines with strange vegetation all along the walls. The ceiling had a strange blue-green tint, which Severus said meant it was under the lake. Thankfully, there was no Basilisk.

They believed the site to once be Salazar Slytherin's castle. This chamber was probably meant to be the Basilisk's new home, but Salazar never got the chance to transfer her from Hogwarts, which in reality was less than fifteen miles away. 

To the left of the snake gateway, there were two other rooms. They believe that they were once a library and a potions lab. The rooms were black and there was evidence of a fire. Flint said that most likely the fire was fiendfyre, which had most likely destroyed the original castle.

At the beginning of December, the Minister in his glorious wisdom, told Fisher that the animals in the Department had in its menagerie of confiscated animals could stay no longer than three months in the room.  Fisher was ordered to get rid of them.  Marvolo asked Severus if they could take all of the snakes.  Severus agreed (Marvolo never asked for anything), and Marvolo converted what was previously the library area into a large serpentarium. It took him three weeks of constant work to design and build. Like the Basilisk area, he had it heated, put lots of vegetation and (with Flint's help) an artificial river running through.  They transferred all of the snakes before the first snow fell, just in time for Christmas.

For Christmas, Severus gave Marvolo the light magic Slytherin books they had brought from the future (he did not tell him where he had gotten them). Severus was at first hesitant, as the books really belonged to Harry. He thought, however, that Harry would not mind and Harry, before he de-aged told him he could have the books, but Severus never considered them his.  He was glad he did. The books were on various aspects of parselmagic (all light areas), such as defence, potions, herbology and how to take care of snakes. There was an entire book on the Basilisk.  Marvolo began to study them with the intention of teaching Tommy and Harry. The old potions lab was converted into a study and training room.

At the Malfoy Winter Ball, Elizabeth Potter, who was now four months pregnant, fell.  She slipped on a patch of ice as she got out of their carriage. Sarah examined her and told them that Elizabeth was losing the baby; her womb was collapsing.  There was nothing they could do. Elizabeth started crying uncontrollably.

Severus had read in one of the Potter books,  that Elizabeth had lost her first baby early 1934, which was three days away, but the book had not specified how. He had, however, been working on various potions. He quickly asked Harold and Elizabeth if they would be willing to try an experimental potion that he had been working on.

Harold was not sure, but Elizabeth nodded.  Severus went to his lab at Reiner Manor. It took him two hours, but he made it and returned to Malfoy Manor. He was taken by Ian to an upstairs bedroom. He quickly handed John the paperwork and John signed it, sealed it and stamped it. Gadolin was also called and he too signed and sealed it. Edgar also put his signature on it. They needed to certify the potion before it could be given to Elizabeth or he could lose his licence as a potions master.

They gave Elizabeth the potion. For the first few minutes, it looked as if the potion failed. Then Elizabeth screamed in pain. Sarah examined her and smiled and said Elizabeth was experiencing pain as the muscles of her womb were tightening. Elizabeth experienced severe pain for over ten minutes, but then Sarah said she and her baby girl were fine.

Severus' potion ended up being more popular than even the wolfsbane which they now produced free of charge. Severus had to adapt the formula a bit and hundreds of women who had damaged their womb, either magically in labour or because of incidences in the last war, came to try his potion. Severus would have not have charged, but Gadolin insisted and their private lab received a lot of money for research.

Severus formally proposed to Sarah on Valentines and they planned a romantic wedding in early June. Things were going well for Severus.  At home, Tommy was growing into a well-adjusted, happy seven -year old. He and Harry were developing their mental link and Severus had to teach them basic occlumency.  A few wizard businesses were following Marvolo and had started doing trade (in small amounts) with the muggle world.  In Germany, Hindenburg was still the muggle President. In the original time line, Hindenburg had died in August the previous year and Hitler had taken over as there was no one else.  In this time, Hindenburg was encouraged to take a new, ‘experimental' medication that healed his ailing body and mind.  Severus estimated he would live until the next presidential election.

John, Gadolin, and several British and German Wizarding Lords were secretly backing the half-blood wizard William Heinzer to be Hindenburg's heir. Heinzer's father was from a very old German wizarding family.  His mother was a muggle but was from royalty; she was a niece of the last German Emperor. William was accepted in both worlds. Severus hoped he would challenge both Hitler and Grindelwald (who was secretly backing Hitler).

In March, however, there were a series of attacks on prominent German magical families. It was rumoured that a powerful Dark Lord who was parselmouth was gaining power in Germany. Marvolo knew it had to be Morfin. Severus knew that it really hurt Marvolo. Marvolo went to Gringotts and formally named Tommy as his heir. He made sure to legally put things in place so that if he died, Severus would get everything in trust until Tommy was of age. He left certain things for Harry, but Tommy was his heir.

Severus considered that in the first time line, Morfin was in Azkaban at this time; the man died when Tom Riddle was seventeen, which actually coincided with the end of the muggle world war. It was obvious that Grindelwald was using Morfin as his front man, in the same manor that Dumbledore had used Voldemort.

-----

Right before the Easter Break in April, Severus received a letter inviting him and Sarah to attend a meeting at Hogwarts.  They both dressed in casual, yet elegant, robes and went to Hogwarts.

There were four other couples there; Cygnus Black and his wife Violetta, Harold Potter and Elizabeth, Harfang Longbottom and his wife Callidora, and Tiberius Prince and his wife Miriam.

Severus kept looking at his grandfather Tiberius. The man was currently younger than him, but looked very much like he did when Severus had first met him. Severus was twelve and it had been at his mother's funeral. He tried not to show his hatred for the man.

Cygnus greeted Sarah and Severus. "Sarah, so good to see you; Severus, I am hearing great things indeed, from your company."

"Yes, things are going well," Severus said with a smile, holding Sarah's hand.

"Wait, you are the foreigner Elladora Black has been warning us against?" Harfang Longbottom asked.

Severus looked at him in shock. Cygnus shook his head. "My great-aunt. I told her some of what you told us last year and she has taken great offence. I am sorry, it is my fault."

"Elladora came and told us not to invite you to our Spring Ball because you were inciting an anti-wizard campaign," Harfang said.

Severus looked at Harfang and said, "All I suggested was the idea that purebloods need to move away from what was done in the past and look to improving themselves, the way muggles have done." Harfang look at him strangely.

"Yes, well we hope to institute one of your ideas today." Dumbledore came in with Armando Dippet, the Headmaster. A pleasant looking witch in bright yellow robes came in behind Albus and was introduced as Professor Galatea Merrythought; Professor Slughorn came in and to Severus' delight, Filius Flitwick.

Severus immediately realised they were the four Heads of Houses, with Albus being Head of Gryffindor.

The Headmaster welcomed them all before turning the proceedings over to Albus.

Albus stood and spoke. "At the Potter's Summer Ball last year, I had the pleasure of sitting near to a remarkable wizard, Mr. Severus Reiner, who threw out some ideas to those of us present; Harold, Elizabeth, Cygnus were there as well. One of the ideas was an orientation programme where a wizarding couple assist a muggle born or two for the two months prior to the opening of school, and introduce them to the wizarding world, so that when they enter school they would be well adjusted."

Harfang looked thoughtfully at Severus.

"We have asked the four families here because we want to try this idea, first with a small group and sort of fine tune it, before it is considered a Hogwarts regulation as it were. The idea is to house the students and possibly their families, for the first weekend and answer any questions they may have and help them adjust to the idea of having a magical child, or in some cases children, as they may have younger siblings. The child stays with you for the two months and learns everything from wizarding etiquette to writing with a quill; basically anything you think the child needs to know before coming to school."

Albus looked at them as if waiting for questions, and when none were posed, he continued. "Unfortunately, we cannot afford to give you an allowance for keeping the child or children; which is partly why we chose you all; because, to put it bluntly, you are rich enough to keep the children for the two months. The parents would be responsible for the school books and robes and general school things. You would only be responsible for the child for the two months, no longer."

Harfang raised his hand and Albus gave him the floor. "You said our wealth was a partial reason why we were chosen; what were the other reasons?"

"Well, to be honest, we chose people who we thought would not abuse the children or teach them that they are inferior because of their parents. We were concerned about Harold and Elizabeth, considering that Elizabeth is pregnant and is due within the next six weeks, but I had initial talks with them and they agreed to the idea."

"We actually want people who will not take advantage of the situation and who would actually teach the children what they need to know," Dippet said.

Sarah raised her hand. "How many muggleborn children are there?"

"We have forty muggleborn coming in first year, but we are starting this programme with fifteen children. We are hoping you would take two children each, and the other five children would be taken by members of staff who have volunteered, like Filius here."

"Yes, my wife and I look forward to having another little one to join our brood," Filius said with a smile.

Severus looked at Filius and sighed.  He knew Filius' wife and two of his sons died in the war against Grindelwald. He hoped that this time they would be saved.

There were a few more questions and clarifications about what was expected and then they were assigned their students.

"Since it was your idea, we would like you to choose first Mr. Reiner," Albus said, passing Severus the parchments with the information on the various children. On the second parchment, Severus saw a familiar name and laughed.

Minerva McGonagall.

--------

June came soon enough, and Severus and Sarah had a very ‘quiet' wedding, with only two-hundred of their friends and family. Severus had rolled his eyes when Sarah told him it was very small compared to her last wedding, when over seven hundred people had attended. She looked at him as if he was crazy when he said that his idea of large was twenty people.

He stood in his formal black and gold robes and looked at himself in the mirror. He was now forty-four, but because of the youth formula that he had developed based on the one he had made and Albus used, (it was not for sale and no one knew of it except John, Gadolin and Sarah) and used a month after he de-aged Harry, he looked like thirty-four. He had fixed his teeth and nose, and he had to admit he looked good.

He had invited Albus, Filius and the other Hogwarts Professors he had met. He only really wanted Filius there, but couldn't invite him without the others. He actually wanted to postpone the wedding so Minerva could have been there. He really wanted her to be there and had even considered starting the orientation early, but it was not practical to do so. Part of him knew if he postponed it, something would happen and he would not get married, so he did not want to jinx it.

Harry and Tommy came in with Marvolo. Harry had on green robes and Tommy had blue robes which matched their eyes. Severus smiled at them both. He looked at Harry; had the boy been his true age, he would have been his best man.  Had the boy not been de-aged however, he suspected he would have already been married to Sarah, as Harry would not have allowed him to wait four years before asking her out.  John was his best man and he was happy; the man had been a true friend for many years now.

The wedding was being held at Willow Castle, which was now totally complete. It was being held outdoors and Severus felt the Gods were smiling at him as the day was perfect. Most of the guests had never been to the castle and were astounded by its beauty. Severus, however, saw Albus looking uncomfortable.

Severus stood by the ceremonial table and looked out at the crowd. To his surprise, Tiberius Prince, Miriam and the almost one year old Eileen were there. He had invited them but did not think they would come. Severus just stared at the little girl who was his mother.  Eileen looked at him and giggled. Tiberius and Miriam looked at their daughter in shock as she did not take to others. Severus smiled; he was glad she was there. If not Minerva, well, his real mother would do.

Another surprise was Harold and the very pregnant Elizabeth. Elizabeth was actually two weeks past her due date and Sarah had told her to stay home and rest. However, the woman had Harry's determined nature and insisted on coming.

The person Severus was most happy to see make it, was Thomas Riddle. Thomas had finished his last exam two days ago and if he passed, he would be a doctor. He still needed to specialise and was thinking of becoming a Pediatrician.  He saw a few people looking at Thomas strangely. He saw Galatea Merrythought, however, looking at him with definite interest.

There was a contingent of goblins who came and they sat in a special section in the back. Magnus, the Head of Gringotts,  had a special seat in front. Many people looked at Magnus in shock. He was in rich, formal robes and had a gold band around his head. Those who knew him were even more shocked as the Head of Gringotts was never seen outside of the bank.

The entire orchestra of violinist began playing the wedding march and Severus saw Sarah walking towards him, accompanied by her brother Ian. She had on the most remarkable silver and blue gown, making her look like the fairy queen. She was the most beautiful thing Severus had ever seen. He kept looking at her as if enchanted and barely remembered saying his vows or even taking the ring from Tommy. He felt like he was under a spell and he couldn't think properly. He did, however, hear the minister telling him he could kiss his bride. And kiss her he did. It was magical.

As he turned to show his new bride to everyone, he saw a dark robe figure, like a dementor, standing in the very back. The figure gave him a nod and disappeared.  Severus smiled and pulled his new wife into his arms and kissed her again.

The guests were invited inside the castle and into the dining room. The place was a beautiful mixture of marble and wood; a lot of people, even Tiberius, looked around and marvelled at its beauty. The food was exquisite and in his speech, Severus mentioned that the quail and fish that were served were caught on the land itself. Everyone nodded in approval.

During dinner, two things happened that changed everything. Galatea Merrythought was talking to Thomas and then shouted out loudly, "You're a muggle!"

The room became quiet;  everyone turned and looked at the muggle before starting to ask him all sorts of questions. Most, like Cygnus, asked him questions that tested his knowledge. Severus didn't know whether Cygnus wanted to laugh or cry when Thomas answered all of his questions intelligently, while very subtly insulting Cygnus. Albus just kept looking at Thomas and Marvolo. Severus knew the man had figured out who Severus' son Tommy was, but he kept quiet.

The second thing that happened was that Elizabeth Potter went into labour right before dessert was served. There were four other healers in the room, but in the end, the bride and Thomas had to help the woman. Severus' potion worked too well, and Elizabeth could not seem to deliver the baby normally. Thomas mentioned doing a caesarean which was a concept the wizards knew nothing about. With Sarah's help and all of the other healers looking on, Thomas performed the caesarean and the beautiful baby girl was delivered. Thomas then directed Sarah who cleaned Elizabeth magically and then healed her magically. Thomas shook his head when he saw the woman's body without any scar or what looked like any side effects.

For his role in helping deliver the baby, Thomas was granted the honour of naming her. Thomas smiled and named her Megan. Elizabeth then asked Sarah and Severus to give her a middle name and before Severus could say anything, Sarah said Lily. Severus looked at her and smiled. Sarah and Severus were asked to be godparents for Megan Lily Potter.

Severus looked at the beautiful black haired baby with hazel eyes. For him, she was the symbol of new life and of his and Harry's really changing the world for better.

Megan's presentation ceremony took place at the end of June after Severus and Sarah had returned from their two week honeymoon in the Canary Islands.  On behalf of the Reiner family, Harry presented the baby with what looked to everyone, like a beautiful tiara. Only Severus knew that it was Rowena Ravenclaw's diadem, though he suspected Filius knew as well as he gasped.

-----

Two days after Megan's presentation, Sarah and Severus went with Professor Galatea Merrythought to a farm on the outskirts of a small village outside of Edinburgh, where the McGonagall family lived. It turned out to be a nice farm with a few sheep, some cattle and two horses.

Sionn McGonagall was a big man, taller than Severus and looked to be over 300 pounds of pure muscle. Margaret ‘Maggie' McGonagall was also tall, but had a pleasant look; she had on rough clothes and was working on the farm alongside her husband. They complemented each other. They had five children, Minerva being the eldest.

Galatea told them who they were and why they were there.  Sionn looked at his wife briefly and then told them that Maggie's grandmother was said to have the ‘eye', and told them that the people of the village would burn their farm if they thought Minerva was a witch.

Severus realised that the couple had no problem with Minerva being a witch, but were more concerned about their safety.

"Minerva is a good girl, and is really smart and brave.  She goes to the Catholic school in the village and the priest says she is his best student," Sionn said.

Severus suggested telling the villagers that Minerva got a scholarship for a private high school.

Sionn nodded and asked several questions about Sarah and Severus, what they did, and what they had planned for Minerva.  When Sarah invited the entire family to come and spend a week with them to experience it for themselves, Sionn turned to his wife and said it sounded like a good option.

Minerva shouted from upstairs that she did not want them coming.

Sarah, Severus and Galetta had seen Minerva for only a minute. As soon as they came, the children were sent upstairs, but obviously the eleven year old was listening in.

Severus told them that they would give them time to discuss it as a family and they would come back in two days. They assured the McGonagall family that Minerva would still go to Hogwarts if they opted not to have her do the two months orientation.

Two days later, they accepted the offer; the entire family would come for a few days and Maggie would stay the two months with Minerva during the orientation. Minerva's only sister, Heather, would also be staying with them. Sarah said the five-year old would be most welcome. The only person who did not seem pleased was Minerva.

-------

Convincing Marcus Shacklebolt's father was much more difficult.  Marcus Shacklebolt was Kingsley Shacklebolt's grandfather, and was the next student that Severus and Sarah had agreed to take in for the summer. The grandson of a slave, Marcus' father, Shacklebolt, (he only had one name) was a chimney sweep, who spoke rather well.  Shacklebolt said his boy needed to work and education was wasted on the likes of him. He was not going to any school; he was not going anywhere.

After twenty minutes of arguing, Shacklebolt said, "Listen, when I was small, I was invited to go to a school run by a group who said they wanted to educate my kind. My father sent me, and you know what I got? I was the servant boy for the white boys. I was beaten and made to clean, wash clothes, sweep chimneys, and scrub the floors. The man running the school said that was all a black boy like me could learn. I picked up a few things here and there, but what I learned best was that there is a structure in our world, and we blacks are at the very bottom. I taught my boy all he needs to know. This is his life. He is black; he will never amount to anything but a chimney sweep so thank you, but no."

Sarah sighed and they left. Five minutes later, the little boy came running after them and said, "Tells me where I needs to go. I wants to go to school. Me g'anpap tells me I is special, me da hides the things he could do. Tells me and I will be there."

Severus looked at him. "You would run away?"

"Yeah; me da is good man but ‘e is wrong.  I is no wants to be sweep. I wants to go to school. I wants to speak good like him and I wants to read and write."

Severus put up a silencing ward and spoke to Sarah. "You know, he probably ran away in my original time as well; Kingsley told me about his grandfather who worked as a clerk in the Ministry."

"Yes, I know but I don't like the idea of basically kidnapping a child," Sarah said.

"Listen. I have an idea," Severus replied.

Twenty minutes later, Marcus found the Leaky Cauldron and joined Severus, Sarah, Galetta and Fisher in a private room. Severus had spoken to Fisher and told him that in the original timeline, Marcus had gone to Hogwarts.

As Marcus came into the Leaky Cauldron on his own, they officially registered him as a runaway and Severus and Sarah were made his magical guardian.  The first thing they did was to take the boy for new clothes and some toys... the boy was not accustomed to non-homemade toys and was excited with the choice of getting real toys.

They took him to the DoM Offices where Sarah gave him a proper examination.  The life of a sweep had not been good on the boy's lungs. Sarah said that without his magic, the boy would have been dying because of the damage to his lungs. He was malnourished and underdeveloped; he had several badly healed broken bones and there were badly healed bruises on his skin.

Marcus explained that as a sweep he sometimes had to climb on the inside of the chimney which caused the bruises and the injuries. Severus told Sarah the boy was not lying.

After speaking with Severus, Sarah recommended several potions and a programme to clear his lungs and develop the boy's body. She also recommended removing several of the boy's bones and re-growing them.

Marcus could not imagine he would ever live in a house like the one in Manchester.  Sarah and Severus had to tell him over and over that he was there as their ward and not as a servant.  Harry welcomed the boy, but Tommy was jealous at first and Severus had to have a stern talk with him before he warmed up to Marcus.

At the end of the week, they moved to the castle. Marcus felt he was living in a dream.  Severus and Marvolo took Marcus and the two boys on a camping trip for the weekend (still on Willow Castle grounds). They went swimming, fished and hunted quail. 

The biggest problem was the fact that Marcus was really freaked out about the snakes and screamed hysterically when they showed him the serpentarium.  Tommy got a sound spanking that night when he started scaring Marcus by speaking in parseltongue.

Sarah started teaching Marcus how to read and write and some basic magic development exercises.

During the second week of July, the McGonagall family came. They were taken aback by the size of the castle.  Sionn, however, loved the land, the river, the lake, and the forest.  Sionn and Severus spent a lot of time talking about the greenhouse Severus had built and about the land itself. Harry, Tommy, Marcus and the three McGonagall boys immediately took to one another and spent most of their time fishing and hunting.

Monday evening, Thomas Riddle came to spend some time at the castle and Sionn was comforted knowing that Sarah and Severus had muggle friends. John, Emily and Reginald came over and all of the men stayed long into the night drinking beer and talking about everything.

Tuesday, they went to Diagon Alley; Minerva and Marcus got their wands and Minerva got several robes.  They bought a number of books on basic magic, two books for muggle parents with magical children and a copy of Hogwarts: A History.  Sarah and Severus bought Marcus and Minerva two new brooms with a promise to teach them to fly.

Sarah, Marvolo and Thomas took the McGonagall boys, Harry and Tommy to the toy store and to the ice cream shop while Severus took the others to Gringotts.

Severus had organised for Magnus to speak with Sionn, Margaret (and Heather), Minerva and Marcus.  Sarah had given Marcus 10 galleons to open a vault of his own.  Sionn gave Minerva the equivalent of 15 galleons to open her own vault. Sionn told her he had started saving the money for her when she was born and had hoped it would continue to grow for her dowry when she was ready to marry, but he felt that this was more important. Minerva started to cry and hugged her dad and mom.

On Wednesday, Sionn, Severus, Thomas and John went to a magical horse farm.  The farm had magical and non-magical horses. Sionn marvelled at the magnificent winged horses.  In the end, Severus bought ten horses. The owner said he would bring them over on the weekend.

The goblin, Flint, and his men were hired to build an appropriate stable for the horses. Sionn helped in the design and supervised the goblins who only took two days to build the elaborate stables, including proper heating for winter. Sionn seemed to get along with the feisty goblins and even spent the evening drinking goblin ale. Severus laughed and called him a brave man.

Severus and John took Sionn to the magical district of Kent, to a house-elf auction. Severus had to hold onto Sionn to get him through the barrier. The man was appalled at the treatment of the elves, some were naked and were in chains; he had gotten accustomed to the magical creatures at Willow Castle and was shocked to see how they were treated by other wizards. Sionn interviewed several of the elves who had experience with horses and advised Severus on the three he eventually bought.

When Sionn and the boys went back to their farm Sunday morning, Sarah said he did not know who was going to miss them more; Minerva or Severus. 

Minerva took to the magic easily and it was no surprise to Severus that she took to transfiguration quickly. Thomas took over Marcus' tutoring in reading and writing while Severus taught him practical magic.  Minerva followed Sarah everywhere. After a week, Maggie decided that Minerva would be fine and she and Heather went back to the farm.

By the end of summer, Marcus still was not year one high school level in reading and writing, but was almost there. He was a fast learner, highly intelligent and most importantly, he was determined to do well.  Filius promised to continue tutoring the boy until he was on the level of someone his age.

Minerva on the other hand, reminded Severus of Hermione; she was smart as a whip and was more than ready to challenge everyone. She was, however, more sophisticated than Hermione and had a feline grace that Severus knew was natural to her. She also was well taught by Sarah, and Severus doubted that any of the purebloods would recognise her as a muggleborn unless she told them.

At the end of August, they all spent the weekend in London. Thomas' parents had bought him a townhouse in London as a graduation present and they all stayed at his place. They all made one last trip to Diagon Alley and Severus bought the two students familiars. He laughed when Minerva chose a tabby cat. Marcus did not want to go into the menagerie because of the snakes, so Severus took him to the Owl Emporium and he got an owl.

Severus, Sarah, Harry and Tommy accompanied Minerva and Marcus to platform 9 ¾ on September 1st. Severus looked on proudly as the two students got onto the train, levitating their trunks behind them, carrying their familiars in their hands.

Sarah whispered to Severus and said, "You know, next year it will be Harry's turn. Do you think you are ready?"

Severus looked at the boy who was happily waving his new friends off. He smiled and wondered if Hogwarts was ready for Henri Severus James Reiner.

 

To be continued...
Chapter 7: Phoenix Child by Keats

The following summer the Reiner family once more hosted two new students however one was not muggleborn. Fenrir Grayson was a werewolf. He had been abandoned by his parents and had been found wandering the streets of London by the Aurors. He was only ten but Dippet was willing to give him a chance as Severus said he would provide the wolfsbane for him. The other was Paul Windsor, the son of one of Thomas Riddle's colleagues.  Thomas had seen the boy do magic and had explained to the boy's father what it was and had introduced them to the Reiner's.  Marcus also returned to spend the summer with the family.

Five more wizarding families agreed to host muggleborn students including John and Emily and Ian and his wife Jeanette.  There were some who thought the concept ridiculous and even scandalous. Ellidora Black had even asked the Wizengamot to ban the orientation programme however her petition was rejected.

Fortunately or unfortunately Ellidora died when her new house-elf gave her a pastry with cherries in it. The new house-elf did not know Ellidora was allergic to cherries and she died. Severus thought it was poetic justice as Ellidora had the day before chopped the head off her old house-elf because she had thought he was simply too old.  After she died no one openly challenged his ideas.

For Harry's eleventh birthday the boy not only had an amazing party but also the most amazing gifts. His birthday was a Wednesday but they actually had the party the Sunday before. Tommy cried when Severus told Harry he was to be given his own room and no longer would be in the nursery. Harry reassured Tommy that they would still be able to communicate mentally.

The morning of his birthday, Severus presented Harry with a box which contained a wand. Harry looked at it disappointingly. He had hoped that his dad would take him Ollivanders to get a new wand and not one that was second hand. Severus told him to hold it and to Harry's surprise the wand felt so familiar and so strong, he immediately knew it was the correct wand for him.  Severus still took Harry and Tommy to Diagon Alley for the day. It was originally supposed to be Severus and Harry only but Tommy cried and Harry asked for him to come along.  The others all understood.

They went shopping for robes, school equipment and books.  Harry did not need casual clothes as the family had spent two weeks on holiday in Paris before the summer started and Sarah and Severus had bought both Harry and Tommy brand new wardrobes. They had lunch in one of the most exclusive restaurants in Wizarding Europe. Unfortunately they ran into Albus Dumbledore who spoke to Severus and Harry but looked at Tommy with twinkling eyes.

After lunch they went to the apothecary. The man almost fainted when ‘The Severus Reiner' entered his establishment. They bought the standard potions equipment the store sold however did not buy any of the ingredients. The man was not insulted when Severus told Harry they had better quality stuff at home.

The final stop for the day was for an owl. Severus had told Harry no to taking the baby mamba snake that had been born in their serpentarium and Marvolo had given to Harry to care for. There was a beautiful snowy white owl that Severus was sure that Harry was going to choose. He was shocked when Harry didn't. Harry stood in the store and looked around for half an hour and then said "Dad I am sorry but none of these owls really speak to me."

Then a gypsy woman who had been in the store purchasing owl treats turned and looked at Harry. "That is because the one who has chosen you is not here" She said.

Severus looked at the woman; she was an old distinguished looking woman who had a light aura radiating from her. He gave her a nod and she smiled.

She turned to Harry and said "when everything is totally still and calm close your eyes and think of nothing but your magical core and when you are ready say; ‘he who calls to me, come to me, to be my protector, my guide, my friend and my companion in this life.' Tonight in your room do it. You may have your father help you but you alone must cast the magic." She then turned to Severus and said "Do not worry it is not what you fear."

Severus was praying it wasn't the blasted Basilisk.

That night in Harry's new room Severus made Harry sit on his bed. They practiced the occlumency techniques that Severus had been teaching Harry for some time. Severus showed him how to view his core.  Severus then stepped back and waited, after a few minutes Harry opened his hand and his wand which was on his bedside table went to his hand. The boy did not open his eyes. Severus felt the power radiating from the boy. Finally Harry started chanting, he said the words the gypsy told him to say several times before he lifted the wand.

Severus heard a strong hum coming from the wand which after a minute turned to phoenix song. Then Harry said the words once more. His voice was strong and powerful. "He who calls to me, come to me, to be my protector, my guide, my friend and my companion in this life."

There was a flash of light and a red and gold phoenix flashed in.  Harry looked at the bird in shock and amazement. Severus smiled and said "Hello Fawkes."

------

The McGonagall family came over and spent the first week of August and Minerva's brothers immediately went to the other boys. Severus smiled, Minerva had topped her year and was blossoming into a fine young woman. She loved Fawkes and would often follow Harry when the phoenix would be on his shoulder.

Sarah told Minerva it would be fine to go swimming, riding and climbing with the boys but the girl tried to be as lady-like as possible. It was only the week after when her parents had left and Severus and Sarah took all of the children on a hiking trip that Minerva relaxed.

The boys were all shocked to see Sarah climbing trees and jumping from tree to tree. She free climbed a cliff and was able to hunt and skin the rabbit they had for dinner.  Severus was amazed at his wife and remembered while she was a medical healer she was also an unspeakable. It was traditional that married women with children retire from their jobs; however she had retained her position on a freelance basis as unspeakable healers were hard to come by. 

Minerva was soon following Sarah and was climbing and swimming with the boys and Fawkes.

The person most taken with Sarah was her son Tom. Tommy looked at his mummy as if she was the most wonderful person in the world. She taught him how to climb and how to jump from branch to branch. She even helped him get a branch from a tree that was growing from the side of a cliff. He was going to make his broom from that branch. She was a wonder woman who after climbing the side of a waterfall, made chocolate milk and read him bedtime stories and sang him to sleep. Sarah was the best mummy in the world.

------

At nine pm on the 31st of August, Severus checked each of the boys; Fenrir was nervous and needed a dreamless sleeping potion.  Paul was neatly packed and already sound asleep. Marcus was reading a book (3rd year runes), Severus smiled and told him he had half an hour left. He then went to Harry's room and found it empty. Severus sighed and called Nip... Harry was not in the house.

Severus used the floo and went to Willow Castle, he walked down to the serpentarium and saw his son sitting next to the glass door entrance. A large boa was near the entrance and was obviously talking with Harry. Fawkes was on the railing on the other side of the room.

"You know it is bedtime Harry" Severus said and Harry looked up at him guiltily.

Severus went over and sat on the ground next to Harry, the boy looked up at him "Am I in trouble?"

Severus put his arm around him "not this time, you get a free pass."

Harry nodded and leaned into him, they were quiet for a few minutes and then Harry started talking. "I got a note a few days ago from one of the Professors... Professor Dumbledore. He said that he heard I had a phoenix as a familiar. He told me that it was a sign that I was Gryffindor bound. He said that Godric Gryffindor had a phoenix familiar and that once I came into his house that he would train me to be a proper warrior. The thing is dad, I am a Slytherin... at least I hoped I would be."

Severus saw a few tears roll down Harry's face "You want to be Slytherin?"

"Yeah to prove to Grandpa Marvolo that I am really worthy of his teaching and you know...being his grandson" Harry said.

"Grandpa Marvolo loves you Harry, you are his grandson in love and magic. Even if you get sorted into Gryffindor or even if you are in Hufflepuff, Marvolo will love you. Now I want to warn you Albus Dumbledore is a schemer and he to be honest I almost sent you to Beauxbatons because Albus was at Hogwarts. You are to be weary of him."  At first Severus had thought that without Grindelwald, Albus had changed but he found out Albus was using the apprenticeship programme and some of Severus other idea to get political mileage.  Severus had been around too long and knew Albus had not changed.

"Mini said he has a group of the best fighters. He is supposed to be training them to fight against the Dark Lord Todeskrieger from Germany" Harry said.

"Is Mini in that group?"

Harry shook his head "She said he told her she had real potential maybe this year or next year, she would have enough magic to become one of his protégées. She said I already had the power to join his group of griffins."

Severus shook his head "Harry you know what I do yes..."

Harry nodded "Yes... you and mum and Uncle John you are unspeakables."

"Yes and part of what we do is hunt dark wizards. We have trained for years, we have been professionally trained. I have been hunting dark wizards for well over twenty years. Uncle John has been at this for forever... mum well you've seen her. Harry, Dumbledore plays games, he likes the idea of being seen as this powerful light wizard but it's just games. What do you think eleven and twelve or even sixteen year olds could do.  It is wizards like Uncle John and me who will go after this German Death Warrior."

"But Fawkes came to me and..."

"Harry having a phoenix does not mean you are destined for Gryffindor" Severus said. "Nor does being a parselmouth mean you are destined for Slytherin House."

Harry looked at his dad. Severus continued "You are a brave warrior and I have seen you do many many things that would lead me to believe you could be a Gryffindor."

"Is that why Fawkes came to me?" Harry asked.

"No... phoenixes come to those who are strong in light magic. Phoenixes are not tied to the Hogwarts houses. Now Henri Reiner you also show very strong Ravenclaw tendencies. Ravenclaws are smart as a whip and love to learn new things; you are exceedingly intelligent and witty and look good in blue."

Harry giggled.

"You also show very strong Slytherin tendencies. You are a parselmouth and you have been trained in parselmagic and your heart calls here home just like Salazar did. Harry when you go tomorrow, I want you to listen to your heart and magic. Do not listen to anyone; definitely do not listen to Albus Dumbledore. When you go to be sorted ask to go to the house that will be the best house for you,  which might be Gryffindor or it might be Slytherin" Severus said.

Harry nodded "Karina says that I am a Slytherin phoenix warrior."

"Karina?"

"The boa"

Severus turned and looked at the large snake who was still listening.  "I will be proud of you no matter what house you are sorted into. Just be you."

Harry hugged him and held him tightly "can I come home if I don't like being at Hogwarts?"

"Of course, you can come home, you can call me... if you are in danger you can use Fawkes to come home or to call me" Severus said. "No matter what Harry, I love you, you are my son and wherever I am, if you ever need me I will drop everything to come to you. Do you understand that?"

"Yes dad... and I love you too" Harry said.

Severus hugged him and kissed the top of his head. "Let's go home son." Severus picked Harry up and held him in his arms, like he did when Harry was smaller.

-------

Severus gave Harry a final hug and a few knuts for the train, Sarah gave Harry a hug and tried one last time to flatten Harry's hair.  Tommy held on to Sarah's hand and gave Harry a rueful smile.  Harry and Tommy gave each other a hug and Severus saw Tommy nodding. Whatever was said between the two was said mentally.

Harry held his trunk and Fawkes flew on his shoulder. He turned and looked at his family once more and waved one last time.

Severus' heart leapt into his hand... In his mind he was thinking that he should have taken up the offer of being potions master, he should be next to Harry's side... He felt Sarah's hand slip into his. He looked at her.

"He will be fine, you did a good job raising him. Trust in him" Sarah said leaning into him. He smiled and nodded.

The eight year old Tommy looked up at his dad and said "I am still with you dad."

Severus picked him up and hugged him "Yes you are little cobra... yes you are."

------

Marcus, Fenrir and Paul were waiting on Harry and they all got on board. The train was already crowded but they were able to get a compartment together. Harry was on a look out for Reginald who came in five minutes before the train left.

"Finally" Harry said.

"My mum went into a panic this morning and told my dad she changed her mind and was going to home-school me" Regi said and Harry laughed.

"Be thankful you have parents who love and care for you" Fenrir said and Marcus nodded.

"Well my mum packed a set of gobstones, who wants to play?" Harry said and Marcus, Paul and Regi immediately moved to play.

An hour into the ride Minerva came over "Hi guys."

"Hi Mini, want to join us in some wizard poker?" Marcus asked as they started a new game.

"No... I have other things to do. I was wondering if Harry wanted to meet some friends of mine" Minerva said.

Harry looked at her and said "Minerva, I am not going to meet anyone who doesn't want to meet Regi or the other guys."

Minerva looked at him uncertain and then said "Harry come on it will be only a minute."

Harry shook his head "No thank you Mini."

Minerva walked off and then ten minutes later came back and said "Okay they could all come."

Harry looked at Regi who shrugged and Fenrir nodded, Paul said if they were going he would go. Marcus said he had a book to finish reading and politely declined. The four boys followed Minerva to the end of the train. She opened the door to a large compartment, where several Gryffindor students sat in a small group. Harry recognised Damien and Daniel Bones, Edgar Bones' sons. Damien had on the Headboy badge and Daniel had on a prefect's badge.

"Welcome... welcome future Gryffindor warriors, welcome" Damien said.

Harry stopped and glared at Minerva.

Damien and Daniel spoke on the glorious Godric Gryffindor and about the Order of Warriors whose job it was to protect the wizarding world. Harry saw Paul looking at Damien with awe and Fenrir looking at him with interest. Reginald however looked at Harry and had a ‘are you kidding me' look.

Then Harry felt someone tug at his mental shield, he looked around and did not see anyone who was looking directly at him. He stood up.

"Harry are you okay?" Damien asked in concern.

"My name is Henri and I need to use the loo... Regi coming?" Harry said and Reginald immediately stood up.

"Dobson why don't you show our new recruits where the bathrooms are" Daniel said.

Reginald started "We are not..."

Harry nudged him and shook his head.

Damien smiled "We expect you back in a few minutes gentlemen."

The large seventh year Dobson stood up and directed the two boys out.

"I need to get something from our compartment" Harry said as they almost reached the loo. Dobson held on to Reginald's shoulder.

"We will wait here for you" Dobson said.

Reginald looked at Harry and gave him the signal to run. Harry went to the compartment and in less than a minute told Marcus what happened. Marcus shook his head "Dumbledore's Order they are a rough bunch, they pretend they are fierce warriors but they are simply bullies. I had a lot of trouble last year when I used to visit Minerva, finally she told me to stop visiting. I thank Merlin I am not in his house. Listen I will get Regi, you lock the door behind me.

Five minutes later Marcus came back with a frightened Reginald.

"You okay?" Harry asked.

"Yeah, Dobson kept saying that the Order members were hand chosen and it was a privilege. Harry I think my mum was right, we should be home-schooled" Reginald said.

"Dad told me to be careful of Dumbledore" Harry said. Fawkes came over and sat on Harry's lap.

"I always wanted to be in Gryffindor like my dad but now I don't know" Reginald said.

"If you are a Gryffindor, don't let them scare you into somewhere where you shouldn't be. Miss Sarah told me last year that you are sorted into the best house magic wants you to be. A lot of people actually laughed when I was sorted into Ravenclaw and when I first heard about the houses I never expected to be anything but a Hufflepuff.  I had a great year last year with those in my house and Professor Flitwick helped me tremendously. If you are meant to be Gryffindor then go to Gryffindor, don't let others scare you into being less than you are meant to be" Marcus said.  Fawkes trilled as if agreeing with the boy.

Reginald and Harry nodded.

"We need to save the others Harry" Reginald said.

Harry nodded and thought about what his dad would do.

Five minutes later Harry and Reginald came back into the prefects' compartment but this time had Fawkes with them. Damien applauded them and called them true Gryffindors. Damien spoke on Godric's phoenix.

"Did Slytherin have a familiar as well?" Harry asked, petting Fawkes.

"Yes we are told it was a monster" Damien said.

"What kind of monster?" Harry asked.

"Well I assume some sort of snake" Damien said.

"All snakes are evil and should be killed" One student said.

"My grandpa is a Slytherin and a snake" Harry said sternly.

"Yes well that makes him evil" the student said.

Harry looked at Minerva who said nothing.  Harry stood up "I am sorry but its almost lunch, we have to go now, Fenrir, Paul... come on"

Reginald looked at Minerva "Coming Mini? Aunt Sarah packed lunch for you as well."

Minerva looked torn but Damien nodded and she went with them.

When they left Harry looked at Minerva and said "You know my Grandpa, you know my family, we are not evil."

"Yes but the phoenix came to you, that makes you different. You are destined to be a strong warrior, you are a Gryffindor at heart" Minerva said.

"I am sorry Minerva but if that is what you think after spending so much time with my family well then forget you" Harry said and walked off.

Neither Minerva nor any of the others bothered them for the rest of the train ride. Harry, Regi, Paul, Fenrir and Marcus talked a lot on the train ride to the school. When they exited the train, they saw Damien and Daniel exiting with their group. Minerva followed dutifully behind the two boys. Minerva turned and looked at Harry sadly. Harry turned from her but then turned back and looked at her and gave her a wink. Minerva smiled.

The caretaker Mr. Ogg called all of the first years and Marcus wished them luck and walked off to the horse drawn carriages. Mr. Ogg took the first years by boat, everyone gasped at the beauty of the castle. Harry looked at it and smiled but then there was a flash and he saw it all burning. He closed his eyes and then opened it and saw the beautiful castle once more. He shook his head.

Dumbledore stood waiting on them looking like a benevolent father figure. He spoke to them about the four houses, he mentioned that many of them would chose the house their family members wanted them in and then said that others (he looked at Harry) were chosen by magic for other houses and great destinies. Harry gave him a reassuring smile.

Dumbledore then nodded and opened the door to let them in.  Harry looked around at the beautiful Great Hall, there was a flash and he saw part of the ceiling destroyed, he closed his eyes and opened them again and saw the celebrating students again. 

In front of them was a hat. The hat looked so familiar yet... he had never seen it before.  Soon the sorting started.

The first of Harry's friends Fenrir was sorted and the werewolf was sorted into Slytherin. Harry clapped with the others. Soon Reginald's name was called. Harry looked at him and whispered "We would be best friends no matter what, choose the house best for you and no one else."

Regi nodded. Harry saw Dumbledore smile when the hat shouted Gryffindor. Harry clapped loudly. There were several people that Harry knew sorted into various houses and then finally it came his turn.

He heard Dumbledore announce his name "Henri Reiner".

As he went closer he heard Albus whisper to the hat "his familiar is a phoenix you know."

The hat was placed on Harry's head... "Interesting... I have never... you have a lot hidden away, well Gryffindor certainly suits you but..."

"[I am no one's pawn, you will place me where it will be best for me]" Harry said in parseltongue in his mind.

"The only ones who think in parseltongue are those destined for SLYTHERIN" the hat said, saying the last part out loud.

Albus removed the hat but gave Harry an angry glare "You are such a disappointment, if it were up to me your phoenix would abandon you."

"Well it is a good thing it is not up to you" Harry said boldly and walked off to the Slytherin table where he was warmly greeted. He looked over and saw Regi clapping him loudly. Minerva gave him a disappointed look. Marcus however had given him a standing ovation.

Harry looked on in excitement as he followed the prefects down to the dungeons. The entrance to Slytherin House was the fourth archway down a corridor made up of several archways with stone snake pillars. Harry saw the snakes on the pillars move and look at them. The prefect said the password "We are the children of Slytherin."

The place had a green glow that reminded Harry of the forbidden room near the serpentarium at home. There was a unique magic that was familiar and Harry stopped and took a breath "Yes, this is home."

The prefect looked at him and smiled "Yes this is your new home."

Harry heard a few snakes in the portraits calling to them and making comments, he laughed "yes this is so perfect."  Fawkes flashed in and rested on his shoulder.

"A phoenix... boy this is Slytherin how could you have a phoenix" a seventh year shouted.

"Send it away" another said.

Harry looked at them "No, he is mine, magic called him for me."

"Then you are not welcome here" another seventh year spat.

"[Really, well if Salazar Slytherin wants me out, he can tell me himself]" Harry said in parseltongue. Everyone gasped and looked at him in shock.

"[I do not want you out but I want you to behave yourself. If you think being a parselmouth is going to give you any special treatment, then you are sadly mistaken.  If anything I will expect more from you]" A voice said and Harry turned and looked at the portrait of a man in green and silver robes sitting on a throne.

Harry bowed low and said in English "I apologise if I was rude Lord Slytherin."

"You were not, go on and sit with your peers, little grandson" Salazar said.

Harry looked at him "[I am not your grandson; I am not a Slytherin by blood]"

"[But you are by magic, you are a parselmouth and Lord Slytherin calls you grandson that is all I care about.]"

"[Thanks Grandpa Sal]" Harry said and he and Fawkes went to sit next to Fenrir.

Salazar smiled.

To be continued...
End Notes:
Note: Todeskrieger - Death Warrior in German - Morfin's Dark Lord name.
Chapter 8: Hogwarts First Year by Keats
 Christmas came quickly and Harry, Fenrir and Marcus came home. Severus was horrified to find out that Minerva no longer associated with them and that Dumbledore was giving Harry a hard time. Severus just shook his head, the man had not changed. Dumbledore was still a manipulative bastard and it was obvious he was pushing the concept that Gryffindors were good and Slytherins were evil. When Harry told him that Damien and Daniel had tried on several occasions to take Fawkes away from him, Severus almost exploded and Sarah had to stop him from going over to Bones Manor.

Marvolo wanted to hear more about Salazar and the talks the portrait had with Harry. He had been surprised that Salazar referred to him as Lord Slytherin. Harry said that Salazar said that even though Marvolo was not magically powerful to claim the title, his actions (as told by Harry and from what Salazar had heard from others) made him worthy of the title.

Tommy was just happy that Harry came home and proudly showed him his finished broom. Harry and Tommy were in the air before the evening was out.

Christmas was fun however it was obvious that something was bothering Severus. That night Sarah asked him what was wrong. It took her a while but Severus eventually confessed that the turn Minerva had taken disturbed him. Sarah decided to go and speak to her.

Boxing Day they went to the McGonagall farm. Severus and the boys immediately went out onto the farm to help Sionn and his sons. Sarah sat with Maggie and Minerva.

"Minerva we were troubled when Harry told us that you no longer associate with him and that you think  that because he is in Slytherin House he is evil" Sarah said.

Maggie looked at Minerva horrified.

"Professor Dumbledore said that the Slytherins were destined for evil and that most of them supported the German Dark Lord and wanted to destroy muggleborns and the muggle world" Minerva said.

"You do know it was Severus who suggested the muggleborn orientation programme?" Sarah said.

"You and Uncle Severus are good. Professor Dumbledore said that you are natural Gryffindors and that it was for that reason why Harry's treason was so horrible" Minerva said.

Maggie looked at her daughter sternly and her lips went thin.

Sarah put down her tea cup. "My dear child when I attended Hogwarts I was a Ravenclaw and Severus... Severus is a Slytherin in nature. If he went to Hogwarts he would have been green from head to toe. Harry and Tommy grew up as Slytherins. As a matter of fact the man you call Grandpa Marvolo is the current Lord Slytherin. You have been to our castle; you have seen the serpentarium we have. You have lived with us, has there been any time when we have led you to believe we were evil or in any way dark?"

"Tommy speaks like a snake and frightened Marcus" Minerva said.

"Yes and he was spanked for frightening Marcus, it was a cruel prank and something neither Severus nor I would tolerate. However speaking parseltongue does not make one evil" Sarah said.

Maggie turned to her daughter. "Minerva it is the same prejudice as hating someone for being a witch. What do think would happen to you or us if the people in the village knew you were a witch? They would think us evil, you for being a witch and us for raising and loving you. Because someone is born with a talent it does not make them evil. I am really disappointed that your Professor is encouraging such hatred. The Reiner family have taken us into their home, into their lives. They have treated us with love and respect. They do not look down on us because we are not magical or because we are poor. They treat you like family. Minerva I do not know how you could even think of Harry or Tommy or any of the family as being evil. I always thought you were a smart girl, I am very disappointed in you" Maggie told her seriously.

Minerva burst into tears. 

Sarah put her hand on Minerva's shoulders. "I know how charismatic Dumbledore could be and how hard it would be if you openly go against him. However I want you to keep something in mind, it is something Severus says ‘it is not your blood, your magic levels or even the family you are born to that tells your character. It is the choices you make.' Being sorted in Slytherin house does not make a man evil. There are Gryffindors in Azkaban just as there are Slytherins. The last Dark Lord who terrorized the wizarding world, over a century ago was a Hufflepuff."

Minerva dried her tears and said "But Dumbledore said...."

Maggie stood up angrily. "I don't want to hear about anything Dumbledore has to say. Minerva the man is leading you down a path neither I nor your father will want you to go down.  We may be muggles but we have strong Christian values and I will not have you hating people who have shown us nothing but love and respect and who have helped us so much, just because someone tells you to. Minerva I want you to stop being part of this Order."

Minerva looked at her mother first angrily and then when she saw Sarah looking at her sadly, she sighed and nodded.

Sarah sighed "Minerva as your mother said we love you. I know Severus considers you his family. He was very hurt when Harry told him you did not want anything to do with him. It is why we decided to come and talk to you. Minerva we love you enough to come and talk with you. We don't want you hating us. We are not evil or dark or supporters of this mad Dark Lord."

Minerva nodded and hugged Sarah and apologised. Maggie nodded. Minerva then went and apologised to Harry and Severus. Severus gave her a hug and smiled.

Sarah smiled; she hoped it would be the end of this matter.

..............

Easter break Harry came home frustrated. He told Severus he almost regretted going into Slytherin House. He told him that Dumbledore was now giving him detentions every week most of the time for just breathing in class. Severus snorted remembering how the man used to scold him for supposedly given detentions for no reason.  Though he remembered Harry in class and he knew that the boy could really be a handful.

"Dad last week he gave me a detention for reading Regi's Quidditch book. He told me that he did not believe a Gryffindor like Regi would willingly lend me his book. He knows Regi is my friend. He has been giving Regi and Mini a hard time as well. I heard one of the fifth years call Regi a blood traitor for talking to me. If I had just gone into Gryffindor all of this would not have happened" Harry said with a sigh.

"If you had gone in Gryffindor, he would have had you doing all sort of dangerous tasks to prove you were a warrior. Dumbledore wants you as his pawn... you and Fawkes. I am glad you are not in Gryffindor" Severus said.

"Last week Regi got a midnight detention in the Forest for being out after curfew. He had to find some stupid flower that was high up in a tree. It was so unfair. I mean Glenda and Hector were out after curfew as well and he only gave them to write fifty lines. I told Regi to write his dad and complain but he said he would look like a coward. Dad Dumbledore is only doing that to him because he is my friend" Harry said angrily. He did not tell his dad that he followed Regi and helped him get the flower.

Severus sighed and mentally told himself he would talk to John.  He held Harry tightly and asked him if he wanted Dumbledore to disappear.

Harry giggled.

"I am serious. I know places we could dump him and no one would ever find him" Severus said and Harry laughed but shook his head.

"I don't think I want to stain my soul because of him. Karina told me that Dumbledore was the real coward and that I was a light wizard and the best revenge I could get on him was to prove to others that he was wrong. She told me that if I stooped to his level I would prove him right and that Fawkes would not want me to become that way" Harry said holding on to his dad.

Severus nodded and said "Karina is very smart... now should I ask when you spoke to her?"

Harry looked at him horrified and blushed. Severus raised his eyebrow and Harry told him softly that sometimes when things get to much Fawkes takes him home and he would talk to Karina.

Severus sighed and rubbed his temples. Harry bit his lip. Severus took a deep breath and said "I know I told you that you could come home when things got hard but Harry I meant in an emergency. If anyone were to find out you could be suspended or even expelled. I would prefer if you find someone in Hogwarts to talk to. What about Salazar's portrait?"

"I don't know Dad. Whenever I speak parseltongue the others look at me like some great hero or something. I don't like speaking parseltongue in the common room anymore" Harry said.

"When I was in school, I found writing in a diary helped" Severus suggested.

"Dennis had a diary and this git Benji from forth year saw him writing in it and took it away and started reading parts of it out loud. It was really embarrassing dad" Harry said. He did not tell his dad he punched Benji and took the diary away and gave it back to Dennis.

"If you write in parselscript no one could read it" Severus said and Harry nodded. "Now Harry I want you take Karina's advice. Remember that you are a powerful wizard and it is the choices we make in life that defines who we are. If you let Dumbledore get to you he will turn you into a dark wizard. Ask Fawkes to help you and held guide you. You remember the chant you did to get Fawkes, you called for a protector and guide..."

"And a friend and companion" Harry said.

"Yes, trust in magic. Fawkes is there to help protect and guide you and be your friend. Trust in magic and trust in Fawkes" Severus said.

Harry nodded that made sense. He would also ask Fawkes to protect Regi and Minerva as well. He hugged his father. Severus hugged him and then gave him a stinging swat on his bum.

"Oww what was that for?" Harry said rubbing his bum.

"For being out after curfew, for sneaking into the Forest and for fighting with Benjamin McNair" Severus said knowingly.

Harry looked at his father in awe; how did he know.

...........

Harry returned to Hogwarts in a much better mood that when he left. He, Regi, Fenrir and Marcus shared a compartment on the train. Fenrir looked terrible; it had been full moon the night before. Sarah had suggested he stay home and sleep and said they would take him by carriage from Willow Castle. Fenrir begged to go with Harry and Regi and Marcus assured Sarah he would get him to sleep on the train.

There was some trouble on the train. The Gryffindor ‘Order' had loudly indicated that Fenrir was a werewolf who was a danger to them. A few Gryffindors had pulled out their wands but Harry called Fawkes who rested on Fenrir's shoulder and glared threateningly at anyone who got close. Harry smiled his dad was right, with Fawkes on their side the Gryffindors backed down.

Damien and Daniel looked at Fawkes horrified; Harry knew it troubled them seeing Fawkes defending the Slytherins, especially Fenrir who they called dark. Harry loudly said that phoenixes were creatures of light and if Fawkes was defending Fenrir against them what does that say about them.  The others backed down.

May came around and with it came the annual defence competition. The Defence Against the Dark Arts Teacher Professor Merrythought had a duelling competition which was separated into different categories. Harry eagerly signed up for the lower school category in both wands and swords.

On the final day for signing up Professor Merrythought asked Reginald why he hadn't signed up. Harry looked at his friend. Regi looked sick.

"I... I am not good enough ma'am" Regi said.

"What nonsense you are one of the best fighters I know" Harry said loudly.

"We had an in-house trial and Lestrange lost every match, including with Glenda who is a girl" one of the other Gryffindors said. The other Gryffindors laughed and Regi lowered his head.

The Professor looked at him and with a sigh said "I think you should still try."

Regi shook his head "No professor I will not want to embarrass my house."

Harry looked at Regi, he really was not looking well. After class he went to talk with him but the boy looked at him with fear and ran off. It bothered Harry for the rest of the day.  He took out his diary and wrote for over an hour.

The next day the duelling competition started (next weekend would be the swords). The competition ran for two days. The first day was preliminaries and the next day the finals. There were seven categories: Years 1 to 3s, Years 4 and 5, NEWT Level and open categories. Boys and girls were in different categories except for the open category.

Harry quickly defeated his opponents, he saw the Gryffindors looking at him angrily. Harry was a skilled fighter and in fact when it came to duelling the only one who would normally have a chance would be Reginald. He was thinking about his friend when the third year Gryffindor he was fighting saw his distraction and cast an illegal curse which sliced the tendon in his wand hand.  Filius Flitwick who was refereeing the match called an immediate disqualification.

The young Gryffindor said he did not mean to hurt Harry, he thought that Harry would have stepped aside. Dumbledore said it was an unfortunate accident and told the boy there would be no punishment.

Filius looked at Harry "Mr Reiner I am sorry but this looks really bad, you will have to retire..."

Harry shook his head and called Fawkes who immediately came and shed a few tears on the open wound. Harry smiled as the wound healed. He rolled his wrist a bit and said "See professor good as new."

Filius smiled and told him that he still needed to get the medi-witch's approval. The Medi-witch an old witch by the name of Florence, magically tested the boy and said he was perfectly fine.  Harry looked over at the Gryffindors and gave them a wink.

The next day the Gryffindors fought fiercely and dirty. Harry however had been duelling with his father and Grandpa for years, both would often use dirty tricks when fighting him. The finals was between Harry and the top third year Gryffindor Bilius Weasley. The red head looked at him with hatred. Harry looked at the boy and saw another red head. He shook his head confused. The boy taunted him and Harry kept shaking his head, he saw the boy in front of him but it wasn't him.

"Ron?" Harry said.

"Calling your poof lover" Bilius said with a smirk.

Harry shook his head and fought. He lost the match but was praised by all but the Gryffindors. Professor Merrythought told him not to feel badly, he came in second but to a contestant who was two years older and that in all her years never did a Year 1 do so good. The Slytherins were proud of the little first year who had come in second. Harry laughed as they lifted him up on their shoulders.  Harry's eyes looked at his hands, was there a golden egg? He shook his head.

The next week passed by quickly and most were preparing for the sword fighting competition. Harry wrote every night in his journal.  Regi kept avoiding him, this week more than before. On Friday he called to him and Regi looked like he did not even see him.

The next morning, Harry sat looking at his sword. Regi had given him that sword. He sighed... he could not do this. He went to Professor Merrythought and told her he wanted to withdraw. The Gryffindors taunted him but Slughorn told him it was okay, that sword fighting was something that you had to do with a clear mind and real accidents happened when you were not focused. Harry went and sat in the stands next to Fenrir (who could not take part in any of the competitions due to his unnatural strength).

Harry sat and looked on as Marcus fought. He was proud of Marcus who had really done a great job. Marcus lost on the first day but was the most successful in the second years. The finals were among the third years. Harry could not eat that night. The next day he did not even go to the competition but walked along the lake with Fawkes. A few of the Gryffindors cornered him but he raised his hands and Fawkes picked him up and flew off with him. Harry went and sat on top of the North Tower and sat in tears. Reginald's abandonment had really hurt. Harry felt a deep pain that seemed deeper than Regi. Fawkes sat next to him and trilled sadly.

Harry moped around the school and finally in the last week of May, Fawkes decided he would do something. Fawkes went to Regi who sat in the Gryffindor common room. There was a flash of green and Fawkes screeched when he was hit. Damien chuckled and picked up the phoenix chick.

"Now phoenix we will let you re-grow to be a proper familiar for a real light wizard" the boy said.

Regi looked at the scene in a daze. Minerva bit her lip, she had not been openly against Harry but had not followed her mother's instructions; she still attended the meetings with the Order. She did not agree that Slytherins were evil but she still liked the idea of becoming a warrior fighting Dark Wizards. This however was not fighting evil, this was wrong. She waited until the coast was clear and went down to the Slytherin dungeons.

.............

Severus, Sarah and Tommy sat eating dinner. Severus chuckled when he heard Sarah scolding Tommy for not eating his broccoli. Tommy had become quite a handful in the past few weeks and Severus had to spank him a few times for his complete disrespect and rudeness to them all. Marvolo had made a new naughty chair (something he had when the boys were really small and had actually grown out of) which Tommy had spent hours in. Tonight the boy had been very quiet and just ignored them all.

Then Tommy dropped his fork and just stared at Severus. Sarah was about to scold the boy again but Severus put his hand over her's and just shook his head.  It was obvious to Severus that something was wrong. He knew most of Tommy's expressions (having known the boy both now as his son and before as Lord Voldemort) and this one was one of fear and panic.  Two minutes later, tears started rolling down the boy's face.

"Tom?" Severus said in alarm.

Tommy looked at him "Its Harry dad, the Gryffindor boys they attacked Fawkes when he went to help Regi. They turned him into a chick and stole him. They took Fawkes away from Harry dad."

Severus looked at Tommy and said "The Gryffindor boys would this be Damien and Daniel Bones?"

"Damien dad... dad Harry said he is going to fight them. Dad Harry is feeling really really angry" Tommy said.

Severus stood up and said "I am going to Hogwarts."

Sarah stopped him and asked the little boy "Why did Fawkes need to help Reginald?"

"I don't know but Harry is really worried about him. Says he is failing his work and came last in an in-house duelling match and he runs away from Harry and he looks scared and dazed and sick all the time" Tommy said.

Sarah looked at Severus. Severus looked at Tommy "Since when?"

"Since after Easter holidays" Tommy said.

"Okay, I am going to call John" Severus said.

Sarah shook her head "We are calling in the corps. Nip" Sarah called the house-elf who came immediately. "Ask Marvolo if he could come and sit with Tommy, tell him it is an emergency."

The house-elf nodded and popped out.

Tommy looked at his parents and did not know who looked more scary, his dad whose face looked like he was going to kill or his mum who was glowing.

...........

Harry was in a rage and was almost to Gryffindor tower when he stopped. He closed his eyes and took a deep breath.

Fenrir and Marcus looked at him. Marcus asked him "Harry what is the matter?"

Harry looked at him and smiled and said "Reinforcements are on the way."

............

Harry walked straight to the portrait of the Fat Lady. He did not know how he knew where the Gryffindor dorm was, he just knew. The lady in the portrait just looked at him "You will not get in here without the password."

Harry closed his eyes... he started calling out passwords. He did not know how he knew them, he just knew. He saw her curious look and then a nod when he called the right one. She opened the door.

He walked in wand drawn. All of the Gryffindors looked at him.

"How did you get in here snake" a fifth year said.

"I am here for my familiar. One of you has him and I want him" Harry said coldly.

A group of seventh years came out "We have nothing that does not belong to Gryffindor House, little snake. Go back to the hole you crawled out from."

"I am here for my phoenix and if I do not get him back, you will rue the day you messed with me" Harry said coldly.

"And what are you going to do?" Damien said "Call your uncle the Dark Lord Todeskrieger. Didn't think we'd find out. Your uncle is the heir of Slytherin and your grandfather is Lord Slytherin. You are evil incarnate and it is our job as Gryffindors to protect those who are light."

"Fawkes chose me... not you, you thief. You will give me back my phoenix or I am going to bring you up on charges of theft" Harry said boldly.

Dumbledore walked in the dorm room "Mr. Reiner you will leave here immediately or be expelled."

"Expel me if you wish but I will not be leaving here without my phoenix" Harry said.

"Your phoenix has abandoned you and has chosen one who is worthy" Dumbledore said "Now leave."

Harry had tears in his eyes "Fawkes will never abandon me."

"Call to him... call him and see if he comes" Dumbledore said.

Harry closed his eyes and then called Fawkes. But the bird did not come, Harry forgot the bird was still a chick and would not be able to flash. However Daniel Bones who was in his brother's room was having a hell of a time controlling the angry chick.

Dumbledore smirked "You see, your familiar has abandoned you. Phoenixes only go to wizards of light and you are..."

"Are what Albus Dumbledore?" A cold voice said.

Albus turned and saw a dark robed unspeakable standing in the door way. The Headmaster was almost hidden behind the tall man. The Headmaster came in as did about twenty five unspeakables all who were radiating power. The unspeakables circled the room. The students except Harry (and Regi who was not registering anything that was happening) all got scared.

Headmaster Dippet looked at Albus and said "The unspeakables came in a few minutes ago, said they got a report of dark magic being done in the school."

Damien looked at them and said "You are looking in the wrong house. You should be in the dungeons."

"Really" A thin tall vampire looking unspeakable said and she passed her wand over Regi... "And you would like to tell me that a Slytherin put confundus spells, repulsion spells and magic blocking spells on this lad?"

The unspeakable in the lead started glowing in anger.

Damien looked at her and said "he is friends with that snake." Damien gestured to Harry.

"Why would Mr. Reiner put a repulsion spell on his best friend against Slytherins?" Shadow said coldly.

"I don't know, he is a snake, who knows how they think" Damien said.

"They are ambitious and clever and are fiercely loyal. Mr. Reiner more so than others, he would die to protect those he considers family; Mr. Lestrange and his familiar Fawkes including" Aconite said.

"They messed with Regi and now he has stolen Fawkes" Harry screamed.

Aconite put up his hand and Harry knew it was his father's signal for him to not interfere.

"The phoenix has abandoned him" Dumbledore said with a smirk. "Phoenixes are great creatures of light and the bird has realised his error in not going to a light wizard."

"And Mr. Reiner is a dark wizard?" Aconite said.

"His uncle is the Dark Lord Todeskrieger" Albus said with a smirk.

Fisher went up behind Albus and said in a whisper "And your lover is the Dark Lord Grindelwald and Todeskrieger's right hand man or more precisely Morfin is Grindelwald's right hand man."

Albus looked at the man horrified.  Aconite went up to Albus "be careful where you tread Albus Dumbledore because you will not know what you will step in."

Shadow looked at him and said coldly "You don't know what waits in the shadows. You play in the dark but there are those of us who hunt those who go into the dark."

"You attack the little ones but these are not orphans Albus Dumbledore. You attack one of ours and we fight back. If you do not back off you will be fighting us all" Aconite said. He saw the fear in Albus' eyes.

Fisher whispered something in Albus' ear that even Aconite and Shadow did not pick up but the man suddenly looked terrified.

Shadow nodded and picking up Reginald left the room.

Aconite looked at Harry and said "Call your familiar to you."

Harry took a breath and called Fawkes.

Aconite shook his head and said "That is not what you were taught by magic, was it?"

Harry shook his head as he understood. He closed his eyes and cleared his mind. Every one saw him take out his wand. Harry was silent and then his wand started humming and phoenix song filled the air. The students and Dumbledore all gasped in shock.  Harry then called out in a strong and powerful tone "he who calls to me, come to me, to be my protector, my guide, my friend and my companion in this life."

There was a tiny squawk and the baby phoenix came in a burst of light. Harry opened his eyes "Fawkes what did they do to you?"

"Damien hit him with a green beam and turned him into a baby" Minerva said bravely.  A few others nodded.

"A green beam... red eyes... cold laugh" Harry said quietly and Aconite looked at him sharply.

"Green beam! You cast a killing curse in front of students?" Fisher said sharply.

The Headmaster looked at the Headboy.

"I... the phoenix should have come to me I am a Gryffindor Warrior. I am the Hogwarts duelling champion. It is my right as a wizard of light. There was a spell on the phoenix" Damien said without real conviction. Severus saw the boy looking at Harry and it was obvious from the expression on his face that he was going through some internal conflict.  Daniel came in and stood by his brother's side.

"You attacked and stole the phoenix" Aconite said.

"We did not steal him. He came here to Gryffindor Tower of his own free will, he knew something was wrong and someone was forcing him to remain in the dungeons. The snake he put a spell on the phoenix to remain with him. We freed the phoenix" Daniel said.

"Do you have proof Mr. Reiner had a spell on the phoenix" Headmaster Dippet said.

"He is a Slytherin and a parselmouth, what more proof do you want than that" Daniel said giving Dumbledore a quick look. Damien however was still looking at Harry with the phoenix chick in his hands.

Fisher went to the boy and asked him to see his wand. Dumbledore shook his head but Dippet told him he had to. Fisher took the wand and cast the spell to show what spells had last been cast. Fisher looked on as the third spell was the Killing Curse. Damien was immediately arrested. Dippet shook his head.

Albus looked at the unspeakables and glared. Daniel called the Order to defend his brother but no one came to his aid. Daniel tried to attack but Aconite simply raised his hand and disarmed him in a second. Daniel gasped as the unspeakable wandlessly and silently took his wand.

"We are trained dark wizard catchers boy, you are no match for us" Aconite said. The black robed wizard then looked up at the students "We know you are anxious to prove yourselves but you are still young. The real warriors train for years before even going out to fight. You can learn to defend yourselves but do not rush to war. War is not for children. If you want to be true warriors, work hard in school and when you leave, join the Auror Corps where you would really be trained."

Fisher turned to the Headmaster and said "We will contact Chief Bones, it would be the polite thing to do. We will also contact Lord Lestrange and Potions Master Reiner. The lad Lestrange will probably not be returning for the rest of the term. If there are any more hints of dark magic being used on students we will be returning."

Fisher looked at Albus, as did Aconite. Aconite growled and said "You can be assured of that."

The unspeakables all moved around the Head of Gryffindor and the wizard felt their anger. Albus was not an idiot... the unspeakables all had glamours on their faces and voices, but he knew one of them was most likely John Lestrange and the other Severus Reiner. He had made a grave error... he did not know the two boys were so protected. He would have to formulate a new plan. Gillert would be angry with him again, he knew his Order was collapsing and it would be hard to continue pegging the Slytherins as dark if the Reiner boy had a phoenix and a wand that produced phoenix song.

He sighed, he would just have to wait. Tom was the true heir of Slytherin, Morfin was useful but not powerful. They still couldn't get the vaults... Gillert needed those vaults... he needed what was inside the vaults. Albus looked on as the Reiner boy left with the phoenix. He saw Daniel sobbing for his brother. The idea then came to him. Henri and Tom were brothers, not by blood but through adoption. They would not have that real magical bond brothers had... he should be able to use one against the other.

Henri may have been sorted into Slytherin but he was a Gryffindor at heart. The fact he had a phoenix and he came up in the middle of Gryffindor territory to fight for the phoenix proved he was Gryffindor. It must have been some sort of misguided family loyalty that made him want to go to Slytherin house. Tom on the other hand was the heir of Slytherin, his familiar was most likely a snake. He was the truly evil one. Albus nodded. Tom would come to Hogwarts in less than two years. He would lie low until then. He would use the two brothers against them. In the end he would get the phoenix for himself and Gillert would get the treasures of Slytherin.

 

 

To be continued...
Chapter 9: A Father's Son by Keats
Edgar Bones looked like a broken man as he spoke to his son in the interrogation room in the Department of Mysteries. Behind the glass to the back of the room, the three unspeakables looked on.

Aconite looked at Fisher and Shadow. "In my time Damien Bones grows up to be a fierce International Auror.  His sons and daughter become the most powerful and well respected Aurors in my time. Daniel died in the war but Damien fought to the end and was instrumental in restoring peace to Europe after. His son Edgar and his daughter Amelia were both Heads of the DMLE and both were strong in the light. His second son Edmund died protecting the Queen and the muggle Prime Minister. His granddaughter Susan almost died saving Harry's life... she had the making of a strong defence mistress as well."

"He cast a Killing Curse in the middle of a crowded dorm room filled with children" Fisher said.

"I am not saying to free him completely but... I... we came back to save everyone and really to try and save the wizarding world from its fate.  Damien Bones was hailed in my time as a good man, his children were paragons of light and their entire family sacrificed themselves for the benefit of the wizarding world. I think we will suffer if he is in Azkaban."

"He is obviously not on the path that he was on in your time" Fisher said.

"Edgar can put him back. Edgar is a good man. I have known Edgar and his family all my life, they are good people. Edgar is a very good Head of the DMLE. We put Damien in Azkaban, Edgar and the entire Bones family will be destroyed" Shadow said.

Fisher was silent for a long time and then said "Was it he who put the spells on Regi?"

Shadow shook her head "No, it wasn't him. I suspect it was Dumbledore, the magic binding was done by someone a lot more powerful. Though I do suspect that Damien knew."

Fisher nodded and then walked off; he gave them the signal to follow.

Edgar was in tears, he looked at his son. The boy knew he was going to Azkaban. Damien wanted to die. They both had identical looks of fear on their faces when the door opened and Fisher came in followed by Aconite and Shadow.

Fisher looked at the boy "I want you to answer me honestly."

"Yes sir" the boy said trying to sound brave but failing.

"Who put the spells on the boy Reginald Lestrange?"

Edgar closed his eyes, as the Head of the DMLE he knew the real identity of the Head of the DoM. He knew Fisher was John Lestrange, the man would not be merciful as it was his son who was attacked.

Damien looked at the unspeakables "I do not know..."

Fisher slammed his hand on the table "do not play games with me boy. You are looking at life in Azkaban for casting the killing curse in a room of children and I am not in a mood for games."

Edgar put his hand on his son's arm and said "Please Damien tell them everything. I taught you to be a man of honour, do what is honourable."

"I really do not know but I suspect Professor Dumbledore did. We were not there. Lestrange was boasting that he and Reiner were skilled fighters and had trained together and that they would win the duelling championships. One of the second years I think said there was no way a Slytherin like Reiner could win. Lestrange said that Reiner was the most skilled fighter he had ever seen and that he had been trained by his father and grandfather and knew all sorts of moves. I said that Reiner was trained in dark magic. Lestrange said that Reiner was a strong wizard of light and the fact that his familiar was a phoenix was proof. I said that the phoenix must have been tricked or it would not have chosen a Slytherin. Lestrange said that phoenixes were not bound to the Hogwarts system and that they chose a person for what was in their heart. He said he would fight beside Reiner any day before he would fight with us."

Damien stopped for a minute and then said "I... I told Professor Dumbledore and told him the boy was a traitor to Gryffindors. Professor Dumbledore said he would talk to him. The next day, Lestrange looked sick and dazed. At first I thought Dumbledore had given him a whipping with the cane... he doesn't usually use the cane on the little ones but when he does they usually have this shocked dazed look. But then the days went by and he continued looking dazed.  Then we had the in-house duelling competition and Lestrange lost every match, he even lost to the girls. I knew something was wrong everyone knew Lestrange was a good fighter but... but I said nothing."

Edgar looked at his son "Why?"

"Because I thought he deserved to be put in his place and because he was easier to handle. He has defied us from day one, always supporting the Slytherin. We ordered him to stay away from them and he would go and sit with them. We gave him all sorts of detentions and the Reiner boy would secretly help him. Then he started turning the others against us. The McGonagall girl started questioning us and... I knew someone had put a spell on him but he became obedient and did not cause trouble and when he stopped hanging around Reiner, the Reiner boy became more subdued... depressed. Professor Dumbledore was pleased and said he was finally showing his true colours and that the phoenix would break free from his hold. I knew it was wrong but it was for the greater good."

Aconite sighed and Fisher looked at him, they both knew that it was all Albus' manipulations. Fisher then looked at the boy and asked "Why did you cast the killing curse?"

Damien cried and said "Dumbledore told us that the phoenix needed to go back to being a chick to be re-born. He told us that the only reason why it was with the Slytherin was because there was a dark magic spell on it... a parseltongue spell. He told us it was probably not the boy Reiner but his grandfather or uncle who put the spell. He told us that the only way to remove the spell was to kill the phoenix and let it re-grow. I didn't think... we tried to catch it so many times and it always escaped. When it came and stood in front of Lestrange, it was still and I... it was an opportunity. I did not think; I am sorry... I didn't think. I am so sorry."

Fisher looked at the boy and then at Edgar and said "We have been monitoring Albus Dumbledore for the last five years. He and Gillert Grindelwald were lovers for a long time and had various nefarious schemes together. On the surface it looks like they have parted ways but we still have not stopped looking at Albus. Morfin Gaunt or the Dark Lord Todeskrieger as he is now known is one of Grindelwald's pawns. Marvolo Gaunt has officially disinherited his son and actually has been working with us to bring him down. Albus Dumbledore seems to be using Hogwarts to recruit for Grindelwald. Not with the Gryffindors but with the Slytherins... the rich powerful pureblood Slytherins. Their last scheme together was one which had them trying to steal the vaults from squibs and orphans, who either did not know or were too young to complain."

"You have proof?" Edgar said.

Fisher shook his head. "We know it is them but they always work in the background and would use pawns like Morfin. We never had enough to arrest them but we know it was both of them. This current scheme of Albus we suspect is to use the Gryffindors to taunt the Slytherins to the point where there would be first, inter-house squabbles and then it would escalate. At school the children are vulnerable and don't have their parents around. By pegging someone like Reiner as dark, the other children have a target. The boy becomes depressed and eventually retaliates..."

"... and becomes dark as some sort of self-fulfilling prophecy" Edgar said in understanding.

"Yes and if all of the Slytherins go that route, they would most likely join Grindelwald. Grindelwald needs them for their wealth, power and prestige" Fisher said.

"As a school teacher he could really influence the children" Edgar said looking at his son.  "Why doesn't the Headmaster do something?"

"Dippet just sees the Order as a Gryffindor Club and only sees what is on the surface and sees all of the conflict as house rivalry and not a threat" Fisher said.

"And therefore the Board of Governors will not be alerted" Edgar said.

Fisher nodded and then said "While we acknowledge all of this, it was not Dumbledore who cast the killing curse in a room of children. Damien is an adult and has grown up in a home where he would know the consequences of using such a curse. The fact that he used it at all, shows to me that he believed himself above the law, which is very disturbing."

Damien cried and Edgar nodded. Edgar said "I... I understand and we know what you have to do."

Fisher nodded "Damien Bones, I should have you sent to Azkaban but I will not."

Edgar looked like he was going to cry in relief but said "I would say I do not want special treatment but I... he is my son."

Fisher nodded "I have another plan in mind. Young man I do not condone what you did. I believe you have put your feet on a path that may lead to disaster but your family has served the wizarding world loyally and honourably for centuries. I believe that if I leave you to them they would ensure that you go back on the right track. I will be issuing a statement to the Wizengamot and to the Daily Prophet that you and your brother had been recruited by the Department of Mysteries as junior agents to uncover a possible scheme at Hogwarts to recruit students to the service of the Dark Lord Todeskrieger. That you cast the killing curse at the phoenix but that you genuinely thought the phoenix was under a spell and was mentally attacking Reginald Lestrange. You will publically apologise to Henri Reiner and to Reginald Lestrange. Now as a junior agent you would not be charged for using the spell but simply fired for your poor judgement."

Damien burst into tears and Edgar held him.

Fisher continued "I am going to put a magical binding spell on you which will stop you from revealing anything we said today. I will then send you back to Hogwarts where you will finish your schooling, I know examinations start next week. It will be up to Dippet if he takes your Headboy badge. Now young man... you will not be getting away with a slap on the wrist. You will not get life in Azkaban but serve a life of community service.  You will not be entering the Auror programme. Publically you will go on a year-long trip around the world and when you return you will decide to settle down and become a farmer, living on a quiet farm in Kent."

"And in reality?" Edgar asked.

"One of my unspeakables has retired and I have been having a dickens of a time finding a suitable replacement. You will spend the year in training" Fisher looked at unspeakables that stood behind them and then looked back at the boy. "You will train with Aconite and Shadow. They both believe I should give you a chance, so I am giving them the job of making sure you do not stray from the right path. Edgar, I trust you can keep your son Daniel in check and if he proves himself I may decide to recruit him as well" Fisher said.

Edgar thanked him and Fisher nodded.  Fisher then looked at the young lad and said "I am giving you a firm warning, if you continue to side with Albus Dumbledore or if I get any hint you are working with him or spying for him; your family will not be able to help you. You will disappear and Azkaban will seem like a day at the beach. You understand me young man?"

"Yes sir" Damien said quickly.

Fisher nodded "Edgar you may take your son home. Damien good luck in your NEWTs, unspeakables get nothing less than O's."

Fisher, Aconite and Shadow walked out.

Edgar held his crying son in his arms.

............

Harry slept with Fawkes in his arms, he woke when he felt a familiar magic next to him. He looked up and saw the dark hooded unspeakable sitting next to him in his dorm room. None of the other Slytherins woke, not even Fenrir who smelt trouble.

Harry whispered "Dad". He hugged him tightly and then whispered "Is Regi okay?"

Aconite nodded and making sure he had his privacy spell up he spoke to his son.

Up in the Headmaster's quarters Fisher had a talk with Headmaster Dippet.

............

The next morning Headmaster Dippet announced that Damien Bones would be returning to Hogwarts and explained that the boy had been approached the summer before by the DoM as a secret undercover agent to try and find out about a secret recruitment plan by the German Dark Lord. He indicated that it was Damien who had in fact called in the Unspeakables to investigate Reginald Lestrange's attack.

Dumbledore sighed; he knew that Edgar Bones got his son off and out of prison. Part of him was feeling guilty. He knew Damien was really a good boy and did not deserve Azkaban. The Slytherins were upset but Harry seemed to forgive the boy so they did not press the matter. The Gryffindors looked at Damien with higher respect.

Daniel was called home for the weekend and he and Damien came back to school the following Monday. Damien publically apologised to Henri Reiner and Reginald Lestrange and Fawkes. He indicated that what he did was wrong and even though he had been given a certain level of responsibility he had in fact abused it and had put the Gryffindors in danger. He apologised to them as well. He offered to turn in his Headboy badge but Dippet said it was not necessary.

Albus was pleased, however it quickly became obvious to him and to the Gryffindors (and the rest of the school) that Damien and Daniel wanted nothing to do with him again. There were no more schemes, no more attacks on Slytherins and Damien quietly studied for his NEWTs.

The end of term and end of Year one for Harry came. Harry came in fifth in his year but that was mostly because of an abysmal Transfiguration mark. Sarah and Severus had a welcome home party for Harry, Marcus and Fenrir.

They then explained to the four boys that this year they would not be taking any muggleborn for the orientation programme but would be taking an apprentice for their real job. Marcus and Fenrir had been enthralled when they realised that Sarah and Severus were unspeakables. Fenrir had not been so surprised as he had smelt their presence when the unspeakables had come to Hogwarts, but he still found it cool.

They were however a bit taken back when the apprentice turned out to be Damien Bones. Damien had been shocked when he found out who his trainers really were. He knew however that he would not let his family down again. Severus had him physically and mentally training very hard and for the first two weeks it was gruelling but Damien wanted to prove himself. It was easier since it was only Severus and Damien at Reiner Manor. Severus had him in between Reiner Manor and the DoM.

The third week of summer however, they went to Willow Castle. Damien was greeted warmly by Sarah however was met with the cold glares of Harry, Fenrir, Marcus, Tommy and Fawkes (who was not yet an adult). He knew he was in trouble.

Damien's day started before dawn with running around the very large Estate, it was following by hours of physical training. He had magical training and potions training and training in healing and duelling and transfigurations and language training and more academic studies than he ever thought possible. He was shocked however when the young boys would join him at times. Coming from a family of Aurors he knew that sometimes parents would train their children however he was surprised at how much the boys knew; especially Harry.

Sunday came and Damien got a day of rest. He was surprised when Harry and Tommy invited him to go swimming with them. He had to admit that the boys were not as bad as he thought. That is until the boys bound and gagged him, when he drifted off to sleep on the lake shore after swimming and a picnic. He struggled when Fenrir picked him up but he started fighting the binds when he saw where they were taking him.

There were some areas of the castle that Damien knew were off limits, the stairway with the snake pillars was one of them. When Damien saw the glass wall with the serpentarium he screamed for his life (as much as he could scream). Tommy looked at him and told him that he could not expect to attack them and get away with it.

Damien screamed when Harry hissed and the door to the serpentarium opened. There was a large boa waiting by the entrance. Harry hissed and the boa nodded. Damien screamed.

There was a loud pop and Marvolo came in. He hissed and closed the door. The boa hissed and Marvolo hissed back angrily. The boa went away. Marvolo immediately told Fenrir to put Damien down. The werewolf complied and took off the binds.

Marvolo then looked at his grandsons. He grabbed Tommy who was closest and gave him two stinging swats on his backside. Harry got three. Even Fenrir got two. He asked Damien if he was okay and the boy nodded. Marvolo then hissed at his two grandsons angrily and told them to march upstairs. As the boys passed him, they got another swat each.

None of the boys had ever seen their father so angry. It didn't help when Harry said he told Karina to just scare Damien and to make sure that none of the other snakes hurt him. Severus screamed at him. Even Damien who was still shaken by the incident was scared for the boys. Severus wailed on their backsides. Even Marcus got a spanking as he confessed knowing of the plan but had not actually taken part in its execution.

Severus stood looking at Tommy as he slept on his stomach, his face streaked with tear marks. Sarah came in and touched him on his arm. "Am I making a difference Sarah?" Severus said out loud.

"I think you are?"

"There was an incident when Voldemort was a child, he would have been Tommy's age. He tortured two of the orphanage children with a snake. Am I really making a difference?" Severus said.

Sarah nodded "was Voldemort punished for the torture or was he allowed to do it again. Tommy has something that Voldemort did not have; someone to show him right from wrong. Someone to hold him accountable for his actions and someone to pull him back when he goes down the wrong path."

Severus sighed and Sarah asked him "Do you still love Tommy?"

Severus looked at her "Of course I love Tommy, he is my son."

"Well Severus Reiner you have your answer. No child who is truly loved would become the Dark Wizard you fear" Sarah said.

"I hope my love is enough" Severus said.

"It is not just your love Severus; it is my love, Harry's love, Marvolo's love. Surrounded by all of our love, there is no way Lord Voldemort will exist."

Severus nodded and gave his wife a kiss. He then tucked the covers over his sleeping son and kissed the boy's forehead. "Love you my little cobra."

Tommy did not move but Severus saw the small smile and peaceful look on the little boy's face.

-------------

It would be a long time before Damien allowed himself to trust the boys but he actually found himself liking the Slytherin Lord. Marvolo told him the best way to get over his trauma was to face it. Damien used all of his Gryffindor bravery to go with Marvolo and Severus into the serpentarium. Harry and Tommy were also in there but were cleaning out the large room as part of their punishment. Marvolo explained that Karina was unofficially the snake in charge and that she would not have hurt him unless he was attacking the boys. Damien was hesitant but Marvolo went through with him the nature of each snake.

Marvolo showed Damien certain snake fighting techniques and showed him how true Slytherins learnt from the snakes. Marvolo would fight but then turn into a snake and then back again. Damien would watch the man in human form move in the same serpentine manner that he did as a snake. There were things only parselmouths could learn but there were many things that ordinary wizards could learn if they took the time.

Severus then showed the boy how to look at other animals and to copy their movements. Damien watched as Fawkes took flight and moved in the air. He then watched in amazement as Severus also took flight and moved just like Fawkes did. Damien watched as Harry too took to the sky on his broom and moved in the air as his father had.

In the month he had been at Reiner Castle Damien learned more than he had in his life. He considered what they had done as students with Dumbledore and had seen the big difference. As students they really had not learnt anything. Aconite had been right; they were children and had no place in war.

The end of July saw a few changes. The boys started looking more and more at Damien and his training with Severus, Marvolo and even Sarah and slowly came to respect the boy. Tommy and Harry genuinely apologised to him and their treatment of him changed. After speaking with his father and Fisher, Damien asked Severus if his brother Daniel could join them in some training as well. Severus agreed but with conditions. The training would be secret.                                                    

It was two days after Daniel joined their brood when Marcus knocked on Severus' office door. The man was working on an article for the potions journal and looked up curiously at the boy who looked really nervous.

"Hmmm can I speak with you Severus?" Marcus asked.

"Sure anytime Marcus" Severus said.

"Hmmm I was wondering if...." Marcus looked uncomfortable and was silent for a few seconds. Severus did not press him, he knew the boy would talk when he was ready. "My brothers would be eleven now and I know they had magic as well. Is there any way we could check on them?"

"Of course Marcus, I will call John and if you want all three of us could go and check on them" Severus said and Marcus smiled.

Shacklebolt was angry when his son came home, looking like a young Lord but then slowly his anger dissipated as he realised that Marcus really was getting a good education. His son was tall, healthy, well dressed, spoke proper English and was obviously intelligent. Shacklebolt looked at his twin sons Joseph and Joshua and then at Marcus and nodded. John said he would make the arrangements and said he would keep the family and ensure they got the medical treatment they needed. Marcus asked Severus if he could stay with them to help them settle and Severus told him of course.

After testing the two Shacklebolt boys academic ability, it was decided to hold the two back from Hogwarts for a year and use the year to properly train them. It was already less than a month before school started and neither boy knew how to read or write. Marvolo hired Shacklebolt as an assistant in his business. They helped the Shacklebolt family build a small three bedroom house not too far from Marvolo's house in Little Hangleton which was now his business workshop. Marvolo now had a floo and Sarah had no problem in teaching the two boys, so they would floo to Willow Castle or Reiner Manor.

The second week of August the McGonagall family came to spend a week and Damien and Daniel found themselves with three more mischievous boys to deal with and two girls who kept giggling at them. Sarah just laughed when Severus sarcastically told her that she was the one who wanted a large family. Then to Harry and Tommy's delight Uncle Thomas came over for a few days.

Thomas was by now very accustomed to the gasps and astonishments when people found out he was a muggle. Damien and Daniel accepted Sionn and Maggie as they were what they expected muggles to be, pleasant but poor and relatively uneducated. However, Thomas looked like a Lord and spoke with big words and even made fun of their ‘ignorance.' He was like anyone from an old wealthy pureblood family, except he was a muggle.

As an amusing change to their training, Severus had Damien fight with Sionn without magic. Sionn got the notion that the boys were training to be in the ‘army' so was willing to help out. Damien lasted twenty seconds. Daniel seeing his brother get creamed didn't even bother to try and looked at the huge man in fear and respect.

Marvolo came over that evening and told Damien and Daniel that their problem was that they depended too much on their magic and their wand and only developed one half of their being. "Have you ever seen a snake fight with a wand? No. Or a Lion or even a magical creature like a unicorn? Have you ever seen a unicorn backed in a corner, it will use its hooves and its horns and then its magic."

"Or use it in combination" Sarah said and Marvolo nodded.

Later that evening they watched Sionn and Severus fight. Severus did not use his magic and used skill not to defeat the man, as Sionn was not only big and strong but was very skilled, but to hold his own. After they fought for a few minutes (and then a ten minute break) Severus told Sionn he was going to use some magic but not to harm him but as a teaching lesson, Sionn agreed.

Damien and Daniel (and all of the young boys and Minerva) watched Severus and Sionn fight again. Severus did not use a wand but flew up in the air and used wandless magic to create shields and to try and slow down Sionn. Sionn then picking up on the principle of Severus' lesson, picked up a tree branch and used it like a staff. It was amazing to watch and the McGonagall children cheered on their father as he wore Severus down. Severus however was an old warrior himself and turned to magical martial arts. Sionn laughed heartily when Severus turned the branch into a fish. Sionn then threw the fish at the magically exhausted Severus. It was obvious Severus was magically exhausted but he did not give up and got back up. Sionn put up his hands and said the lesson was over.

Severus was exhausted and nodded.

Daniel then said "But if you had a wand..."

"Not every time you would have a wand or your wand could break" Sarah said "you cannot allow yourself to be dependent on only one item."

"And as you can see we muggles are not helpless victims. We have guns for instance that can cause a lot of damage" Thomas said.

"Are you saying a muggle with a gun can beat a wizard with a wand?" Daniel said in disbelief.

"My first husband was injured because of a muggle with a gun" Sarah said and Daniel looked at her apologetically.

Marvolo looked at Daniel. "The first mistake a hunter makes Mr. Bones is thinking its prey will not fight back. And a word to the wise Mr. Bones, the female of the species is often the more deadly, especially when it comes to her young. If I were to attack the McGonagall children it would more likely be Maggie who would kill me than Sionn. Sionn would attack yes, he would try to hurt me and push me away, have me flee. Maggie would take a knife and stick it in my back and not blink. A mother defending her child will probably be the most powerful opponent you will face."

Sarah saw Severus look at Harry.

"You better believe it" Maggie said and they all laughed.

----------

The following day Thomas left for most of the morning and came back in the evening with a set of pistols. Using a vase as a target, he asked Damien (on Severus' count) to cast a magical shield. The vase shattered before the boy could cast the shield. Then Severus had Damien throw his strongest shield over the repaired vase. It took three shots but the shield broke and the vase shattered. Both Daniel and Damien were quiet for the rest of the day.

That night Severus saw Sionn sitting by the lake alone, smoking a pipe. The big man looked up at him and smirked "I have a lot of faults Maggie tolerates, she can't stand the smoke though."

"She is a good woman" Severus said.

"Aye that she is, as is your Sarah" Sionn said.

"Yes, I was blessed with Sarah, she makes me happy" Severus said.

"No plans to add to your brood?" Sionn asked.

Severus gave a far out look and then said "Not yet."  After a few minutes he said "War is on its way."

Sionn nodded "Maggie is worried, she does not have the eye like her Nana but she would look to the East and tell me the wind smells of death."

"I may have to go soon to the East. Sarah is a battle maiden and will fight as will Harry and Tommy. A little one will complicate matters" Severus said.

Sionn nodded and said "I fought in the last war. Me and my brothers, I was the only one to return. When we left we couldn't wait to fight, it was our honour to fight for King and Country as the Scotsmen of old. My brother Duncan would say no German Viking would get the better of a Highlander" Sionn said with a laugh and then got serious. "Before Maggie and I got married I went back and got their bodies and buried them in the highlands. I don't want to bury my sons or have my sons bury me not until they become men."

Severus nodded "I buried both my parents, Harry's mother... when we left our home, everyone was gone... everyone. We are working hard to ensure another war does not happen again... but there are some things you can't fix with a wave of a wand" Severus said.

They were quiet for a while and then Sionn said "I have been thinking of selling the farm."

"Why?"

"My boys... Angus is eleven. He doesn't have any magic... none of the boys do. Heather she shows the sign. I know he was hoping but Maggie says the magic only came to the women. He however wants to go to boarding school like Minerva. He was hoping Father Augustus would have recommended him to the Catholic boy's high school in Edinburgh but the man says he is not smart enough for a scholarship and well we would not be able to afford the fees. Duncan is really smart and could get a scholarship and Malcolm is smart but likes to play... keeps telling me he would stay and work on the farm."

"I would gladly pay for them Sionn" Severus said.

Sionn laughed "I have my pride Severus. What kind of man would I be if I allow another man to mind my sons? No. I was thinking of selling the farm. I already got an offer, the money would pay for Angus to go to school for seven years, for Minerva as well. If Duncan gets a scholarship it would be good. Maggie has an uncle who works in a copper mine in Cornwall and he says the pay is good. It would be more than I get with the farm and I would be able to afford for all the children to go to school. Hopefully by the time Heather is ready Minerva would be almost finished. I want more for my children Severus. Angus wants to be a doctor like Thomas, I don't want to deny him. I do not want that when he is a man he says I could have been great but my father could not provide."

Severus nodded he understood. He looked out on the lake and thought of his own father; he would have been a lucky man if he had someone like Sionn as his father.  He had loved and considered his Minerva as a mother. This man was more his grandfather than Tiberius Prince. "What does Maggie say about all of this?"

"I know she doesn't want to leave the farm but she says it's best for the children."

Severus was quiet and then said "What if you could have both?"

"In what way?"

"The boy Damien... well it is difficult to explain but in essence the Ministry is looking to set him up with a farm. My boss was thinking Kent but Scotland wouldn't be too bad. We buy the farm from you but you work it as a manager of a sort, at least for a year or two. Damien has a year of training to do and then..." Severus ran his hand through his hair thinking of how to explain.

"I was in war Severus, I know a spy in training when I see it" Sionn said and Severus chuckled.  "That and Minerva went on and on about Damien and Daniel the junior undercover agents for weeks" Sionn said.

Severus shook his head "to the public he messed up and was fired and to avoid disgracing his family, he would not become an Auror like his dad but after a year of travel would decide to become a farmer."

Sionn shook his head "He looks like he never even seen a cow."

Severus laughed and then said "Allow us to buy the farm. Manage the farm and help train the boy to keep his cover."

"And to fight for longer than twenty seconds" Sionn said and Severus laughed.  Sionn put out his pipe and stood up "If you are serious, I will talk to Maggie and see what she says."

Severus went the next morning to talk to John. John said it was a better deal than he was thinking and offered Sionn the price he was getting for the farm but in galleons rather than pounds. He also spoke to Edgar who offered Sionn a very attractive salary to manage the farm. Thomas spoke to one of his friends from Cambridge who was on the board of Alumni at Mechiston Boys one of the best boarding schools in Scotland. It was more expensive than Sionn catered but the school was really good and the offer the Ministry gave him made it possible. The school took in boys as young as eight, Sionn and Maggie decided to send both Angus and Duncan but decided to keep Malcolm home for a little while longer.

The night before the boys and Minerva were to return to Hogwarts. John came over and went immediately to Severus' whisky.

"You want to tell me what happened" Severus said.

"I just got word from Germany... William Heinzer is dead; murdered. So were all at the German High Council of Wizard Lords. Morfin supposedly attacked and he and his army have taken over the Ministry. Hitler was named Chancellor this evening" John said taking another glass of whisky.

Severus looked at his friend "So we are heading for war? I had hoped we could have spared the world."

John looked at Severus and said "There seems to be some things you cannot change."

Severus thought of his son Tom and said "There are some I have to. For my sons I will change the future or die trying."

To be continued...
Chapter 10: War by Keats
Author's Notes:
Mention of implied rape in the chapter

It was raining ice cold water and the winds were biting.  Severus drew his robes closer to himself; the warming charm he cast on himself stopped working hours ago and he just did not have the energy to cast another.  He had dug himself in a little knot in between two trees. He however was faring better than most of the others with him, years of being a spy and being at war made him accustomed to this type of abuse. He looked at the ‘Kid' Damien, he looked like he was wishing he took the option of Azkaban.

John came over carrying two covered containers, he passed one to Severus. "Stew, it's hot."

Severus held the hot container appreciatively. He cast the spell to keep the rain out of the food. He looked at it and then at John who sat on the ground next to him. "What meat? I thought we ran out of meat days ago."

"Hunter went hunting, as for what I didn't ask" John said as he ate his own food.

Severus looked at the lime green pieces of meat in the stew and shook his head. He called Damien and passed the container to the boy. Damien ate it all in less than a minute and still looked hungry.

John shook his head.

"Any word from the General?" Severus asked John.

John swallowed and nodded "He says they have secured Durmstrang and got through to the dwarfs. King Gimli has closed the mountain. They would not fight for or against us."

"That is at least some good news right?" Damien asked.

"Yes, give me centaurs and goblins to fight any day; dwarves on the other hand are a blasted nuisance to fight" Severus said and John chuckled. Damien looked at him in shock. Severus was the bravest and best fighter he knew.

"Dwarves?" Damien asked in disbelief.

"One of these days you should ask Adair to tell you one of his stories about his fight with the dwarves" John said.

Damien looked at him "Adair? That's the Auror with the one arm and the large scar on his face?"

"Aye that be him" John said passing half of his stew to Severus and gave him a look, which said it was an order. Severus grumbled but ate the stew.

Damien snuggled closer to the men to share in John's magical umbrella spell. "I wonder how he got that scar. We asked Dad once and he told us if we wanted to know we would have to ask him ourselves. My brother was scared to death of him."

John chuckled and said "As I said ask him about the dwarves."

"Dwarves eh, I have to tell my brother. When we were little we used to make up stories about how all the aurors got their scars" Damien said.

Severus shook his head; Damien spoke of his brother constantly but refused to call him by name as if it calling it would remind him of how much he really missed home. Severus knew how he felt, he too missed home badly. Unlike before he now had something to go home to. He had hoped they would have returned home by now. After their initial hunt for Morfin, the Goblin King had begged them to go on this mission. King George personally sent the order for them to do it. It was almost July and Harry and the boys would already be home. Harry would be thirteen soon and Tommy would be preparing to go to Hogwarts. He knew Sarah and Marvolo would do what was necessary but he did not want to miss it. He hoped they reach their destination soon.

Severus closed his eyes and leaned back against the tree, Damien's chatter was actually soothing. Then his experienced teacher's ear (which could hear someone opening a sweet wrapper in the back of a class filled with bubbling cauldrons) heard a soft whisper. He sat up and with the speed of a whip snake, he got up, turned and sent his magic out. He heard the scream and saw the vampire fall out of the tree about twenty metres behind them. He heard John's call and the unspeakables and aurors with them jumped into action.

He did not turn around but knew John was at his side and Damien covered their backs. He heard John's order and he flew up to the trees. He sent out a fiendfyre whip and slashed at the creatures. Fortunately there were only six vampires... or if there were any others, they fled.

Severus landed and looked at Damien "You okay kid?"

"Yeah I'm good, food staying down this time. Maybe it's the large amounts of garlic" Damien said babbling.

Severus chuckled; after their first real battle, Damien threw up.

John shook his head and called out "They got too close people. Bishop, Maloney, I want sensors two hundred meters in radius. Hunter take Rookie and Doc and check the supplies. Aconite take the Kid and check the corpses, show him how to get rid of them silently."

There were calls of ‘yes Fisher' and everyone ran to do what they were ordered. Fisher went and checked on their ‘mission'. He lowered the wards around the tent in the middle of their base and magically announced he was coming in. He got the appropriate response and went in. He saw the girl sitting on her cot looking as if she had been reading. He did not miss the knife which had obviously been quickly returned to its hiding spot under her pillow.

John lowered his unspeakable glamour and bowed "All is well now your highness, the immediate danger has passed."

She nodded and said "Thank you once more Chief Lestrange."

"It is our honour, your highness. Please try and get some rest, we will have to go far tomorrow, the faster we get out of this region the better for us all" John said.

"Yes I too am anxious to return home. However if I may be so bold, could you ask Potions Master Severus if he has any more of the potion he gave me yesterday. I am afraid your stew did not settle well on my stomach" she said with an apologetic smile.

"Of course your highness I will ask him right away" John said and reapplying his glamour left the tent.

John sighed, he hoped and prayed it was not as he and Severus feared but... He had gone through four pregnancies with Emily; two miscarriages and a stillborn before they had Regi. He knew the signs. The princess was pregnant.

John thought back on the last month and on how they found the elf princess.

Using Severus' knowledge of Grindelwald they raided the man's manor in Germany, where according to Severus' ‘history books' the final battle between Albus and Grindelwald supposedly took place. They raided the manor and did kill a lot of Grindelwald's henchmen. Unfortunately neither he nor Morfin were there. They did find quite a few women who were kept as slaves. They discovered that one of his latest schemes to claim the Slytherin vaults was to have Morfin produce an heir. As Marvolo's eldest child and only son, any child he had could claim to be heir. Unfortunately all of the witches Morfin impregnated all produced squibs or at least squibs by Grindelwald's standards. To be Lord Slytherin to claim the vaults they had to be very powerful. Since Tom showed magic by sixteen months Grindelwald used that as his indicator. If the child did not show magic by sixteen months he had the child and their unfortunate mother killed. Realising that witches were not producing a child of strong magic, they kidnapped a high elf princess.

Severus found the girl in one of the bedrooms. She had been travelling with her new husband, from her home in the Black Forest where they had wed, to their new home in the Elf Kingdom hidden in the French Alps. Not being too concerned with the realm of man, they either were not aware of the dangers or did not think that they would be affected. They were attacked. The dark wizards killed the guards. Grindelwald took the groom for himself and gave the young bride to Morfin.  Neither John nor Severus or any of the others found the Prince, he was not among those in the dungeons or among those they defeated. His body was not found in the pile of dead bodies they found in a pit near the manor. They assumed he was still with Grindelwald.

John looked back at the tent. He knew it was customary for a newly married elf couple to consummate their marriage the night of the wedding but then they would wait until they reached their home for any further activities. So unless she had gotten pregnant her first night of marriage the baby would be Morfin's.

He watched as Severus came with Damien; the boy chatting nonstop as usual. John looked at the boy "Kid go and get some sleep, Aconite and I will take first watch."

Damien nodded and went to the small tent to the side. John looked at Severus and the former Death Eater guessed "she needs another anti-nausea potion." John nodded and Severus sighed.

"You know this could lead to further war. They will not care if we rescued her or not. It was the reason why I hoped the Goblin King would have taken her home" Severus said.

"This did not happen before did it?" John asked quietly.

"No they got the Slytherin vaults at latest when Tom was eleven, before the war started. Morfin was in Azkaban for the duration of the war... at least for most of it. When he came out he couldn't care less about anyone but himself. I do not think the high elves were bothered in any way by the war; either the World War or the Wizarding Wars that followed" Severus said.

"Grindelwald has the wealth of at least five German families we know he killed and raided their home vaults. Combined he now has more money than what is in the Slytherin vaults. So why does he want the Slytherin vaults so bad?" John said angrily.

Severus looked at him "the Hallows, I suspect he thinks that possibly the Elder wand is in the vault."

"So why not just go after Marvolo for the ring or Harold Potter for the cloak" John said.

"I don't know. Maybe he doesn't think he could defeat them without the wand. Harold is very powerful and the cloak would grant him immunity from an attack. Marvolo is a tough son of a bitch and Morfin probably has a slight fear of him, they may go after him last" Severus suggested.

"Harry was right in destroying them. They are destroyed yes?"

"Yes, at least the ring and the cloak are. I asked Harold about the cloak and he told me it caught a fire when he stepped too close to a bonfire the Samhain before we came back. I don't think he ever knew what it really was" Severus said.

"But obviously neither Grindelwald nor Morfin know this" John said and then with a sigh said "It would be a shame if it was really that they want. I would hate to think all this suffering was for no reason."

"Is there ever a reason for suffering and war" Severus said.

John sighed and looked back at the tent as they heard the girl throwing up again. He said "you better get the potion and possibly make the one for the first trimester, you know the blue one."

Severus nodded.

It would not be for another four days before they reached the edge of the magical part of the Black Forest. They were immediately set upon by elven soldiers. A tall elf with long blond hair stopped the others and asked them in English "Why are you here English unspeakables? You do not have permission to enter this realm."

John handed him the letters by the Goblin King and King George. The elf read it and shook his head "I do not understand, this says you are escorting the Princess Luthien but she has gone to the Kingdom of Vinyamar."

John spoke in elvish "I am Unspeakable Chief Fisher, to my right is Senor Unspeakable Aconite. May I ask who you are?"

The elf looked at him "I am Elendur, grandson of King Aegnor and Queen Elenwë and Crown Prince of Alfheim. Luthien is my sister."

John and Severus both bowed low. The others in the group did not understand the elvish but followed Fisher's lead and bowed low. John gave Severus a nod and Severus went and undid the fidelius charm that they had put on the carriage that the Princess travelled in. John had the task of explaining what happened.

As soon as the wards were released the Princess ran to her brother. After the girl reassured her brother she was fine and the ‘English' had not harmed her, the blond haired elf came over to them.

"Chief Fisher and Unspeakable Aconite you will come with us to the Palace and explain what has happened to my sister and her husband Prince Elros." It was a command not a request.

Aconite bowed but said "May I bring my apprentice, his father left him in my care." He gestured to Damien.

Elendur looked at the boy and nodded. Fisher gave a set of instructions and with the elves' permission the others set up camp right there. Once they were on their way the three unspeakables lowered their glamours and showed their true faces and introduced themselves again.  John after told Damien that since Elendur was royalty it was respectful to show their true identities.

It would take two days for them to reach the elf city. The Princess travelled in the special coach which Damien drove. They arrived late at night and after Severus was glad they did. Damien would after say that the Elven Palace at Alfheim was the most beautiful place he had even seen but he wished never to return.

Elendur woke his grandparents and they came out and greeted the girl and immediately threw a rich cloak over her. An elven healer and Luthien's former governess were called to see to the girl. John and Severus were asked to explain what had happened. John did all of the talking. The King hearing what happened called for the General of his army.

The King was ready to go to war however the Queen was silent. She looked at John and said in English "What are you not saying Chief Lestrange? You hide something."

John looked at Severus who nodded. John took a deep breath "The Princess has been very ill."

The Queen raised an eyebrow and gestured for him to continue. He sighed "It would be best if your Healer confirms but... I am a married man and my wife has been ill in that manner four times."

The Queen's eyes showed she understood. She stood up and walked off. The King who did not understand English called to her and then asked what was happening. Even Elendur did not understand. John looked at the crown prince and said in English "We believe she may be with child."

Elendur took a step back and then closed his eyes. He looked at them "The dark lord?"

John sighed "We do not know but it is a possibility."

Elendur turned and ran off. The King was ready to explode but then the elf healer came and whispered in his ear. The King turned pale and then sat on his throne with his head in his hands. Ten minutes later the Queen came out with Luthien who was dressed in a plain white robe looking like it was her sleepwear. The princess was in tears and was pleading with her grandmother who ignored her. The Queen handed the girl to John and said in English "She is now your responsibility. She has broken the vows she made and is now disgraced in our sight. I no longer have a granddaughter."

"But it was not her fault" John said.

"If her husband wishes to forgive her and names her his wife, then we can claim her. However we cannot accept her, not with another man's child in her, not while her husband lives" the Queen said.

Severus took the girl "if it is as we fear the child's grandfather is a good and honourable man. He will take the child. My wife and I will ensure that the woman Luthien is taken care of and that she and her husband are reunited."

The Queen nodded and said "It would be best if you not go to Vinyamar, not until you can escort Elros there. I will send a message to King Galdor to know not to expect the bridal party."

Severus nodded and bowed low, he asked if they could get an escort to the boarder.

She nodded "Yes, leave now before the sun rises. It will not do for the people to see our disgrace." She told the General to ensure that the outsiders leave. The King did not look at his granddaughter but quickly told the General to make sure they leave without harm. The General nodded.

The General looked at the girl with a sad look but it was obvious that he would not go against the Queen's command. John told Severus and Damien they would go faster if they all rode in the carriage. John took the reins of the horse and drove the carriage himself.  The General alone went as escort.

Just outside of the city they saw the Crown Prince Elendur waiting on a horse. The General said he will go and see if the road up ahead was clear and rode on.

Severus came out of the carriage and watched as the prince dismounted and took a chest from the back of his horse. Luthien looked at her brother unsure. The blond handed her the chest. "For you and your child. You did nothing wrong my sister, I love you and I will love your child no matter the father." He took off his ring and put it on her finger "You are a Princess of Alfheim remember that always." He hugged her.

He then turned to John and Severus and said "I will not be able to come or I will lose my throne and my sister will never be redeemed but I will send trusted friends who would help you look for Elros and who will help the new Prince or Princess."

John thanked him. Elendur nodded and gave them a blessing for swift travel.

.................

Harry lay on his bed and looked at the clock on his bedside table. It was ten minutes to midnight. He sat up and the tears rolled down his face. For the first time in as long as he could remember his dad would not be there for his birthday. It was a tradition that his dad would come in a few minutes before midnight and they would watch the time roll over into his birthday.

He wiped the tears away. He was getting older and his dad was trying to save the world. He understood but it still tugged at his heart. The stubborn tears refused to obey him and continued to flow.

"I need you dad" Harry whispered to his knees as he pulled them close to him. "I need you, you promised you would be there for me, you promised to drop everything and be there for me when I needed you." 

Harry looked at the clock as the hand showed it was a minute to midnight. He cried shamelessly and then he turned as his door opened. He saw the familiar black cloak and felt the magic of his father.

Severus smiled "I hope I am not late."

Harry leapt from his bed to his father's arms. Neither of them saw the hand strike midnight but Harry didn't care, magic had granted him his wish.

-----------

Luthien was at first weary about going with Severus to his home. John also joined them as his wife and son were also staying at Willow Castle. However Severus' wife Sarah was a good woman as was John's wife Emily. She never had sisters but immediately felt comfortable with them. Sarah immediately organised a room for her and arranged for her to have clothes and shoes and everything she needed. The low elves were a bit intimidated but one named Ella proudly served her.

She was a bit overwhelmed with the boys. Harry kept blushing when he saw her and Tommy looked at her in curiosity. They both became overly protective of her when they heard her story. Tommy became like her bodyguard and she had to laugh when he started glaring at his father and asked him accusingly about the potions he brought for her. Severus just shook his head and lifted his son and put him over his shoulder and walked out with him.

The person who was most affected by her presence was the old wizard Marvolo. She became really scared when he exploded when he found out what his son had done, not only to her but to all of the women and the innocent children. He told her that she was now his daughter and no one would harm her or her child. He told her that he would always have a room in his house for her. Luthien cried and the man held her and told her that it was okay.

-----------

The McGonagall family came and Severus and John appraised Sionn and Maggie about the impending war. Right now there was a form of civil war in wizarding Germany. The muggle side of Germany was being run by Hitler who had already started preaching his philosophies that led to the world war the last time.

Severus sat listening to John and pondered on things to come. If things ran true to form, in about a year's time in 1939, Hitler and his army would invade Poland and Grindelwald would go after Durmstrang and World War II would ensure. He just prayed that neither of his sons be involved. He knew Daniel Bones had done a lot this year at Hogwarts to change the hatred of Gryffindors towards Slytherins. Minerva at least supported Daniel in the house.

He looked at his son Harry, he had had a relatively good year, there were no major disasters or adventures. Dumbledore still harassed him and made him hate Transfiguration more than any other subject. There was one incident when a group of students hearing that the Dark Lord was related to Harry had tried to attack him but Fenrir, Reginald, Marcus, Minerva and most importantly Daniel Bones helped defend him. As far as Harry was concerned however becoming the Slytherin Quidditch seeker made all the bad things that happened that year tolerable.

Severus sighed and listened to Angus and Duncan McGonagall talked about their school in excitement. Angus told him about joining the cricket team and Duncan spoke on his many friends; they had both done very well academically. They treated the group to a bagpipe song which to Severus' surprise wasn't too bad. He looked on at all of the children playing, he looked at Tommy who was playing tag with Joseph and Joshua Shacklebolt, the boy was laughing loudly and obviously having fun. He hoped he could stop Grindelwald and Morfin and stop the war before it even began.

---------

Severus stood in the hidden library under the castle and looked at the box with the wand. He was scared to give the wand to Tommy. They had gone earlier today to Ollivanders and while there were a few that produced sparks, Tommy kept saying it was not right. Ollivander told him he would have to custom make one for him. Severus said they would return the next day.

He now looked at the yew and phoenix core wand. He knew that wand so well, it was the wand that had marked him with the dark mark. It had done so much evil. He knew it was Tommy's rightful wand but Severus did not know if it was the best thing to do. He looked at it, the grip had an ivory handle that was snake bones and there were some runes drawn on it. He shook his head and closed back the box.

He turned and jumped as he saw Fawkes on the shelf behind him.   "Fawkes you startled me" Severus admitted.

Fawkes squawked at him. Severus looked at the phoenix and then back at the box. He shook his head "that wand has done too much evil Fawkes. Tommy is not the boy that wielded that wand."

The phoenix gave what could only be described as a scoff. Fawkes flew over and opened the box and took the wand in it talon.  Severus watched as Fawkes sang and the wand hummed in reply; a minute later the bird sent a flame of phoenix fire on the wand. The snake bones fell off and burned into ash and the wand was stripped of its outer layer and all of the runes were removed. Fawkes then cracked the wand open and cried on the core which shimmered gold. Then in a burst of phoenix fire, the bird went through its burning and the healed wand rested among the phoenix ash with the chick. The wand looked white and raw but Severus felt the strong light magic from it.

Severus smiled and picked up the phoenix chick and the wand. "Just like Tommy has gotten a new life, his wand also now is re-born."

The next morning Severus presented Tommy with the wand. Tommy looked at him and then the wand. The eleven year old smiled broadly and picked up his wand; he waved it. Severus smiled as Tommy laughed and the air was filled with green and silver sparks. All of the others laughed and congratulated him. Tommy hugged his wand and said that it was his.

"Where did you get it dad?" Tommy asked.

"I just had it lying around" Severus replied

Sarah looked at him "That isn't...?"

Severus nodded "Fawkes healed it."

John looked at the wand, he understood exactly what it was Severus and Sarah was referring and said "If Fawkes approves well who are we mere mortals to question."

Severus nodded.

"Fawkes had to heal it, is that why it looks so weird" Harry said.

Tom immediately went on the defensive "Weird, my wand is not weird."

"Yeah it is, it's all like stripped drift wood" Harry said.

Severus sensing a fight about to happen said "It doesn't have a varnish on it because I wanted Tommy and Marvolo to design it together."

Marvolo nodded and said "yes that is a great idea. We can even do a carving on the grip."

"Okay so the wand isn't weird, it's not finished, it's not a real wand, it's a half of a wand" Harry said naughtily.

Tommy screamed and sent a hex at Harry using his new wand and Harry put up his wand and sent a counter. The two beams encountered one another and everyone heard the phoenix song and saw the brothers encased in a green shield.

Severus shouted for Harry to stop his spell but the boy did not hear him. When Harry's beam connected with his brother's red beam and the phoenix song and shield encased them, strange images like a dream flashed in his mind. He saw a man with a snake like face fighting him, he saw the smoky ghostly images of a boy looking like seventeen, then an old man, a woman and then a beautiful lady... he knew this lady... it was his... "mum?" Then there was a man... a man with unruly hair and round glasses "dad?" Harry shook his head that was not his dad... no his dad was; he turned and looked at Severus who was screaming at him.

Harry woke out of his trance and looked around, he saw Tommy struggling with his wand, his beam had nearly reached Tommy's wand. Harry started to panic and wondered what would happen if the beam reached Tommy. He saw the fear on his brother's face.  Harry raised his wand and ended his spell. The phoenix song ended and the green shield ended.

"Oh Jesus, Mary and Joseph" Severus said in relief. He had been in a panic. If Harry had forced the prior incantatum on Tommy's wand the last spells the wand cast would have been revealed. Severus knew the last set of spells that the wand cast were all unforgivables.  While he knew John and Sarah knew about the wand and what happened, it would have been hard to explain to everyone else, especially Tommy.

"What was that... the green shield and the music?" Regi asked coming to stand next to Harry.

"Harry's wand and Tommy's wand are brothers and when brother wands are forced to fight one another, that happens" John said.

"How could they be brothers, they have the same mother and father?" Joseph Shacklebolt asked.

"Is it because they are brothers? If Joe and I fight would that happen too" Joshua, Joseph's twin asked.

"No, the core of Harry's wand and Tommy's wand were given by the same magical creature" Severus said and seeing his sons' shocked looks said "Fawkes. The wands both have phoenix feather cores which came from Fawkes."

Harry and Tommy looked at each other and gave each other broad smiles. The smiles turned to frowns when Severus came up to them and put out his hand and said "Wands, now."

"That's not fair, I just got it" Tommy said and Severus raised his eyebrow. Tommy looked at him pleading but Severus did not budge and the boy handed him the wand. Severus turned to Harry who sighed and gave him his wand. "Now both of you, upstairs to your rooms now."

The brothers both ran off in the direction of their rooms.

Marvolo looked at Severus and said "You okay?"

Severus shook his head and then passed Tommy's new wand to John "Clear it for me please." He did not know if Fawkes' healing had removed the memory of the wand but he could not take that chance.

John nodded and took the wand and left to go to the Department of Mysteries.

It took Severus a good half an hour before he could calm himself to go and deal with his sons. He went first to Harry who was pacing up and down.

"Dad I am really sorry. I did not know it would do that and I was just fooling around. I would never hurt Tommy" Harry said as soon as Severus entered the room.

"I did not leave fighting war to find it in my own home" Severus said.

"Dad I am sorry I didn't mean it" Harry said.

"Why did you wait so long to release the spell?" Severus asked.

Harry thought back to what had happened. He wasn't sure of what happened. He wanted to tell his dad but didn't know how. He wasn't sure he wanted to know the truth. He lied "I didn't want Tommy's beam to beat mine."

Severus looked at the boy in disappointment. "Did you not hear me calling for you to stop? Did you not see your brother in trouble?"

Harry did not say anything; he listened to his father's lecture but in his mind he played the scene in the green shield over and over. He had always thought that he was Severus' real son but he now knew that he was probably adopted like Tommy. Harry considered it and looked at the man in front of him. This was the man who took care of him, who loved him, who had been his father for as long as he could remember. This was Severus Reiner the greatest wizard in the world. Harry shook his head he didn't care about the people he saw in the green shield.  This man who was currently scolding him and who was probably going to give him a sound spanking was his father.

..........

Severus held Tommy in his arms and continued hugging the boy long after child had fallen asleep. There was a knock on the door and Sarah came in.

"Coming to check and see if Tommy is still alive?" Severus said as he stood up and put the boy on his bed.

Sarah came over and held him "I know you would not abuse them in any way.  Tommy has to learn to control his temper and that is dangerous with a wand." 

Severus sighed "He is a good kid, I hoped... am I right in sending him to Hogwarts? I think... Sarah between you, me, John, Marvolo and even Thomas we could home-school them, even Minerva. I am sure Sionn and Maggie would not mind. We could put charms around Willow Castle so no one will find us."

"Severus you are needed to fight the war. Marvolo is counting on you to defeat Morfin and Luthien is counting on you to rescue Elros" Sarah said.

"Daniel is being training to be an unspeakable and he and Damien will be a good pair. John has all the knowledge and the unspeakables and Aurors are stronger and better prepared than the last time. Prince Elendur is sending someone to help. They could do all of the fighting and defeating. My sons are more important" Severus said.

"Your sons will be the first to tell you that you can best help them by helping stop this war. Severus you know what could happen. You know how important it is to stop Morfin and Grindelwald" Sarah said.

Severus nodded and held her "I know, for my sons' future I need to stop them both."

The two left the room, neither saw the blue eyes of the little boy on the bed open nor close.

Over the next few days Harry and Tommy were perfect angels or at least as perfect as they could get. Severus saw the two talking or at least staring at each other. He knew they were mind talking. He sighed at least they had both learnt occlumency.

The night before they had to leave for school Severus went to talk to Tommy. "Is everything alright son?"

Tommy nodded and Severus raised his eyebrow and Tommy shook his head. "I don't want you to worry about me."

"I am your father, it is my job to worry about you" Severus replied.

"No I mean, I don't want you to stop fighting the war because of me" Tommy said.

Severus frowned "Do I have to talk to you about eavesdropping?"

"It's not really eavesdropping when you talk in my bedroom" Tommy said and Severus chuckled and said that was fair.

"Tommy I love you and I want what is best for you. I fight this war because I want you and Harry to grow up in a world that is at peace. I want you to not have to have the fear or know the horrors of war. I want that the most you worry about is getting O's in class and pimples and girls."

"Daaaad"

"I want you to be happy and sometimes I think that the best way to do that is to hide you from everything but..." Severus stopped.

"But then I will be unhappy because I wouldn't get to go to Hogwarts and play Quidditch and meet the Hogwarts ghosts and meet Grandpa Salazar" Tommy said.

Severus nodded "I can't shelter you Tommy, the most I can do is hope that I have taught you well and trust that you will do what is right."

"I wouldn't disappoint you dad" Tommy said and Severus hugged his son.

The next morning Severus and Sarah once more stood on Platform 9 ¾ but this time both Tommy and Harry got on board. Harry had Tommy with him and Severus saw the look on Harry's face. The boy was determined to protect his brother. Severus nodded and knew that his sons would be okay.

Severus, John, Sarah and Emily returned to Willow Castle they saw five high elves in full armour waiting on them. When they got closer Severus realised one was a woman.

One of the male elves and the female came forward. "Chief Lestrange, Potions Master Reiner?" John and Severus nodded. "I am Rudger son of Nenharma, this is Nimloth Battle Maiden. We have been sent by Prince Elendur to help you protect the Prince and Princess."

Severus nodded and looked at Sarah who nodded. Vacation was over it was time to get back to the war.

To be continued...
Chapter 11: Not A Real Slytherin by Keats

Severus sent the signal to the elf Rudger who gave a hoot like an owl. The others knew that was the signal and they stormed the castle. They were immediately fired upon but the group of elves and unspeakables were well trained. Severus looked across and saw the brothers Damien and Daniel fighting back to back and nodded. He then sent his own bombarda maxima and the door to the castle blasted open. They all ran in.

It took two hours of fighting but they were able to seize the castle stronghold. Severus looked around and saw John coming towards him. "We got Friedrich but neither Morfin nor Grindelwald are here." 

"God damn it, this is the fifth time they have escaped us this year" Severus said.

"I am beginning to wonder if we have a spy in our midst" John said.

Severus nodded "that is a possibility but who?"

"As far as I am concerned Severus, it is neither you nor I. Everyone else is suspect" John said and Severus nodded.

Rudger came over and said "Cirdan has picked up traces of Elros." Severus and John followed.  The elf tracker followed his own magical tracker and they were taken to the back of the castle.

The elf stopped at the end of a hallway "my magic says we must go through this wall."

John nodded "It has runes based wards. I will remove them." John skilfully took the wards down and the wall opened up. Unfortunately behind the wall was a large three headed dog. The dog attacked and slashed at John. The man immediately went down. Severus raised his wand and a blast of music filled the air. The cerebus started to sway and Damien was able to pull John to safety.  The dog was larger than Fluffy and took a while to fall asleep. In that time they were attacked by a group of dark elves.

Severus shouted to Daniel who nodded. As soon as the cerebus fell asleep Daniel rushed in and using his sword killed the beast. Rudger and his team of three also rushed in and fought the dark elves. Severus looked down at the bleeding John. His face was slashed and bloody. Severus worked quickly and used all the skill he knew both as a Death Eater and an Unspeakable and of course as a Potions Master to help his friend. He heard Rudger tell him that they were moving on and he nodded and told Daniel and Damien to go with the high elf.

Severus healed the wounds but the scars remained and he was reminded of Remus.  After what seemed an eternity, John opened his eyes. "Did you get the number of that train?"

Severus chuckled "No but the giant three headed dog is dead."

John tried to sit up but was woozy. Severus gave him his bottle of nutrition enriched water. John drank it. After he caught himself, John looked at him "where are the others?"

"Went on to look for Elros" Severus replied.

"And you let them go on their own. Severus you are my second in command, you should have called a medic and went on with them" John said scolding.

"Yeah well next time I will just leave your sorry ungrateful arse just where it falls" Severus said sounding angry.

"Oh don't give me that tone, I should have you court martialed" John said seriously.

"Fine go ahead, I will even testify against myself" Severus said and John looked at him and started snickering. Soon the two were laughing. When Damien and Daniel returned they found the two men sitting on the ground laughing. The two brothers looked at each other and shook their heads.

Severus looked up and was about to ask them if they found anything when he saw Rudger coming in with a pale handsome elf. The elf was shaking and was in tears, Rudger's jacket was around him. Severus stood up and bowed. "You are safe your highness. I will organise for you to go to Luthien immediately."

The elf looked at him "Luthien she is alive?"

John looked at him and nodded "Yes she is and she is safe, we rescued her near to eight months ago."

The elf nodded and burst into tears again.

-------

"What do you mean you are not going home for Easter break?" Harry shouted to his younger brother.

"Come on Henri it's just two weeks what is the problem" Tommy said.

"Do you know what could happen in two weeks?  Luthien should have her baby in those two weeks" Harry said.

"I know, that is part of why I want to stay. The castle is going to be crowded, no one is going to notice us anyway" Tommy said.

Harry looked at him "Come on, what is that the real reason?"

Tommy looked at him suspiciously "What do you mean?"

"You have been avoiding me and you have put up your mind shields against me. What is going on Tommy? If dad did not have those runes on you I would say you were being mind controlled" Harry said.

"It's Tom. I told you a million times to call me Tom. Nicknames are for babies; my name is Tom. Henri what's the big deal I just don't want to go home. Stop harassing me" Tommy said and walked off.

Harry walked after him "I will keep harassing you Tom Marvolo Septimius Reiner until you tell me what is going on."

Tommy had almost reached the Slytherin common room dorm, when Harry caught up to him. Tommy screamed at him and tried to punch him. Harry moved back to avoid the punch and then moved forward and held his brother in his arms trapped. Harry held the struggling boy, who started cursing. Some of the older students looked at them and one looked like he was going to intervene but the seventh year prefect told the others to leave them.

After about five minutes Tommy went limp but was in tears. "Why can't you just leave me alone?"

"Because I am your brother and I love you" Harry said.

Tommy said "if I tell you would you let me stay?"

Harry sighed "Tommy I am not going to make any promises but I will consider it."

Tommy nodded and they returned to Harry's room. Harry's roommates were not there. Tommy sat on the bed "Its Tom and I... I have been secretly training with Joe and Josh and some of their Gryffindor friends."

Harry nodded (ignoring the fact that his brother called his friends by nicknames) "I assume you are training for Merrythought's Defence Competition?"

Tommy nodded.

"Tommy I have no problem with you doing extra training. But what does that have to do with you not coming home?"

"It's Tom and Professor Dumbledore has organised for someone to come in to give his students extra training for the two weeks and Joe and Josh asked him if I could join too, as we all train together anyway. He said yes but not to tell anyone as it really is only for the Gryffindors" Tommy said.

"I could understand you not telling anyone else but you know you could trust me. It is not like I have a problem with Gryffindors. You know my best friend is a Gryffindor" Harry said.

"Yes but..." Tommy started but stopped.

"But what?" Harry asked.

Tommy looked at him and sighed "I know... I know how much you hate Dumbledore. You are always telling me not to listen to him and not to believe what he says. Henri he is not the evil man you keep saying he is. He is a good professor and I think you are just paranoid."

Harry took a deep breath. Dumbledore was still an evil bastard to him but he was just the opposite to Tommy. It was like Tommy could do no wrong. From the moment Tommy entered his class with a phoenix carved white and gold wand it was as if the boy was the golden child.  It became worse when Dumbledore asked him what his familiar was and Tommy said Fawkes was his and Harry's familiar.  Tommy had done the chant and Fawkes came to him and their dad had said it was a sign that Fawkes was there to guide them both. Dumbledore was Tommy's favourite teacher. If Tommy didn't stop and talk with Salazar in parseltongue on occasion the other Slytherins would have probably spray painted the boy's clothes red and gold. Tommy did not hang out with his long-time friend and now cousin Abraxas or with Regi's cousin Rene but only with Joseph and Joshua Shacklebolt both who were in Gryffindor.

Harry looked at his brother "I will talk to mum and tell her you are staying but Tommy, I am asking you to not block me out."

Tommy looked at him and put his hand out "Slytherin Phoenix Brothers."

Harry smiled and did the special handshake the two had. "Slytherin Phoenix Brothers forever."

...............

When Harry saw his dad waiting at the train station he let out an undignified scream of delight. Completely forgetting he was now a teenager and that there were girls around, Harry ran up and hugged his dad.

Severus laughed and hugged him. "You are obviously happy to be home."

"I thought you were in Germany, when did you get home?"

"We came two days ago. Where is your brother?" Severus said looking around.

Harry sighed "He decided to stay for the break. He and his friends are training for the defence competition."

Severus looked at Harry "I would have thought he would want to practice with you. You are the reigning junior champion."

"Yeah but it's some special training or the other. He just wants to stay with his friends" Harry said.

Severus frowned and made a mental note that he would have to make a visit to Hogwarts.

Harry had to explain to a few people why Tommy was not there. He was however very pleased to see that his dad had found Luthien's husband. Prince Elros sat to the side and looked stunned but was responding well to Sarah's treatment.

It was obvious that Severus was not pleased with Tommy not being there. After dinner he got up and took one of the horses out on a run.  Severus had not planned on going to Hogwarts but found himself in that direction. In a little over an hour he was trotting up to the Hogwarts gate. He went in. Professor Dippet was pleasantly amused to see him as was Professor Flitwick.

"It is not often we have parents come on horseback" Flitwick said in amusement.

"Well my castle is only fifteen miles away" Severus said.

"Fifteen miles is still a good run, so what can we do for you Severus?" Dippet said.

"I wanted to visit my son. I was a little surprised he did not come home for the vacation. His mother and I expected him home" Severus said.

Dippet frowned "I was not aware that your son stayed, if my memory serves me the only Slytherins to remain are the NEWT students. Let's go and find Horace, he will know for sure."

They went down to the dungeons where Slughorn was enjoying a bottle of elven wine with Albus Dumbledore and Galatea Merrythought.

"Ahhh Filius, Armando I thought you were not coming.  Well well if it isn't Potions Master Severus Reiner come in man I have more than enough to share" Horace Slughorn said happily.

Severus put up his hand "No thank you. I am here to see my son Tom."

Horace looked at him confused. "Tom is not here, he left to go home, none of my lower school students are here."

Severus immediately went into a panic "He told his brother he was staying to practice with his friends for the Defence Competition."

Horace looked concerned "I am sorry Severus but he is not here".

"Maybe we should check his friends" Filius said.

Severus nodded and said "Joseph and Joshua Shacklebolt from Gryffindor."

"Joseph and Joshua left. They had originally indicated that they were staying but informed me last night that they were going home" Albus said.

Severus looked at Albus and wanted to kill him. Albus had that same twinkling look in his eyes that he had when he was scheming. Severus glared at him and said "If I found out you did anything to my son, I will make you disappear and no one not even in a thousand years will find you."

Albus looked like he was going to say something but smiled as Horace, Filius and Armando started defending him.

"Albus is Tom's favourite teacher."

"Albus is a man of sterling character."

"He cannot be held responsible for your son's delinquency."

Severus looked at Dippet and said "I will be back shortly." Without waiting for a response Severus took out an unspeakable emergency portkey and disappeared.

Less than twenty minutes later Severus and Fisher came back. Dippet was about to protest but Fisher handed him a warrant. Severus took out his Hogwarts map and activated it. Dippet and the professors looked at it with interest.

Severus cursed when he saw Tommy was not on the map. He asked Dippet if there was any one who checked the students getting on the train. Dippet said the prefects.  The seventh year Slytherin prefect said that he did not see Tommy but that the boy usually hung out with the Gryffindors so he might have been with them.

Severus looked at the prefect and then at Albus. Severus knew Albus was behind this. He then looked at the Headmaster and said "I want to speak to Mrs. Potin."

Dippet looked at him confused "Excuse me who?"

"The Fat Lady. The portrait that guards the Gryffindor Dorms" Severus said.

Dippet nodded and started towards Gryffindor Tower. Severus shook his head and went to a short cut. The Headmaster looked at him shocked but followed. In half the time it would have taken them to use the conventional method they were by the portrait.

Severus spoke to the woman who confirmed that Tom Reiner had come to Gryffindor Tower but left with a group of seventh year student who left about twenty minutes after the train left.

"Do you know where they went?" Horace asked sounding concerned.

"I am sorry no" The woman said.

Fisher looked at Severus and put his hand on his shoulder.

"Why don't you have the phoenix look for him?" Albus asked sounding as if he was helping.

Severus glared at him and it was Horace who answered and informed them that Fawkes had a burning two days before and was a chick.  Severus had found it suspicious that Fawkes was a chick and now knew why.

Severus continued to glare at Albus and said "I know who will be able to tell us."

Armando looked at Severus and said "I hope you are not going to suggest Albus again."

"No. Ogden" Severus said and the Head of the Hogwarts House-elves came in. The house-elf had served Hogwarts for near to five hundred years and Severus knew him well. Severus looked at Ogden and asked. "Can you tell me where Tom Reiner went to after he left the Gryffindor Dorms and who he left with."

"I am sorry but I cannot tell you that information without authorisation from..." Ogden started.

Severus looked at him and said in elvish "Authorization Druid Tree Crystal Heart One Nine Nine Seven."  It was a code used by Headmasters as an overriding authorization code; the 1997 was the year Severus became Headmaster. Dippet could not speak elvish so he did not understand. Ogden however accepted it as the magic felt right.

Ogden looked at him and said "Tom Marvolo Reiner left with Alexander Graham, Phillip Halter, Devon McAllister, Alastor Moody and Herbert Weasley. After leaving Gryffindor Tower they went to the Head of Gryffindor's Office and left via portkey to a house in the Hebrides Islands."

Armando looked at Dumbledore in anger as did Filius and Horace.

Severus however looked at Ogden and said "Is there anything else you can tell us?"

"The children will be all training as part of a secret organisation called the Order of Warriors. They will be training for the two weeks with special instructors" Ogden told them.

"Can you go to that house?" John asked.

"No the island is under a fidelius charm and I do not know who the secret keeper is" Ogden said.

Severus looked at Albus and said "Who is the secret keeper?"

"I don't know but the organisers for the weekend are Harold Potter and Tiberius Prince" Albus said.

Armando looked at Severus and said "I am very sorry."

Severus glared at him and said "I want Albus Dumbledore fired. My son is underage and I did not give permission for him to leave."

Albus looked at him annoyed and then said "I did not know that Tom went with them. All of the others are legal adults and went willingly and with parental permission. Tom was not with them when I gave Alastor the portkey."

Armando shook his head "Monsieur Reiner this is not Dumbledore's fault. While your son associates mostly with Gryffindors he is not under Dumbledore's charge. I do not blame Slughorn either; your son seems to have invited himself to..."

Severus growled and walked off. Fisher glared at Dumbledore and said "this is your second warning; there will not be a third."

.............

Tommy was never so excited, he was going to be trained to become a proper warrior. He was surprised when the seventh year Gryffindor prefect Alexander Graham and the school's top NEWT level defence student Alastor Moody came and spoke with him. They had been watching Tommy spar with Joe and Josh. They told Tommy that they subtly tested him and had said that he had a lot of potential.

"We will help you train for your destiny" Graham said.

"You may have been forced to be sorted in Slytherin but we will make a proper warrior out of you" Alastor said.

Tommy wanted to say he wasn't forced but left it.  When the others left and Alastor came with the portkey he felt a rush of excitement. He loved training with his family but these seventh years were the best in the school. 

The island was amazing and Tommy had to bunk with other students. He was only sorry that none of his friends were there but he was special. He knew if his brother was friendlier to the older Gryffindors he would have been invited as well.  The first night the older boys talked about adventures they had at school and Tommy listened in amazement, they were so cool.

The next morning they had their first lesson. Tommy was told to sit at one side and observe. He was soon bored.  A lot of what the instructor was doing with the boys were basic routine things that Tommy and Harry had done with their dad since they were four and five.  After the older boys were over the instructor called him across and told him follow his movements. Tommy looked at him, the man went into a basic fighting stance. Tommy told him that he already knew the basics. The man told him to show him. Tommy started with a snake fighting kata his Grandpa had taught them last summer. The instructor shook his head and told Tommy that he needed to forget the nonsense he had learnt and to listen to his instructions. Tommy spent the rest of the day learning straight line basic punching and blocks.

That night they were told about the war efforts in Germany and the secret work the Order was doing.  Tommy was really excited this is really what he wanted to do. He wanted to fight in the war like his dad and do his part. Tommy listened to the stories but then a lot of it sounded familiar; saving an elf princess, storming castles... a lot of it sounded like the things he heard his dad and Uncle John talking about. And the elf princess Luthien was at their home. He thought a lot about his family. He briefly thought about dropping his mind shields and talking to Harry, he missed his brother.

The next few days Tommy was bored and frustrated, the instructors kept insulting him for using techniques they did not teach him and forbade him to use. What they taught him was baby stuff and nothing like what he expected. Then on the fifth day things came to a head. The main instructor, a man named Aldo, brought a snake and told them that it was a symbol of their enemy.

The snake was a boa.  While it looked long, it really was a baby and the snake was frightened.  Aldo had the older boys send hexes at the snake and shout out chants of "Gryffindor Warriors" and "Down with the snakes."

Tommy saw red, he ran forward and deflected a hex that Alastor sent at the snake. "No this is wrong, this is not a symbol.  This is a living breathing animal that is screaming in pain."

"What you sympathetic with the snake?" One of the trainees said.

Tommy nodded "Yes I am. You are torturing a living being for no other reason than to make yourself feel better. What you are doing is wrong."

Phillip Halter said "Tommy you know that the snake is our enemy, they are evil..."

Tommy shook his head. "You seem to forget I am a Slytherin, I am a snake."

Devon McAllister looked at Tommy. "You are not really a Slytherin, you have a phoenix wand and a phoenix familiar, which proves that you are not really a snake. We all know your family forced you. Tommy we can help you leave that life, we are trying to teach you to be good."

"And torturing a baby snake is proof that I am good... You are sick. Listen I don't know what gave you all the idea that my family forced me into Slytherin. I am a Slytherin by blood and magic, I am also a Slytherin by choice" Tommy said.

"Tommy come on little dude, you are not a real Slytherin."

"Not a real Slytherin? I am the heir of the Slytherin line" Tommy said proudly.

Aldo growled and looked at the older Gryffindors. "You brought a Slytherin spy into our midst. The heir of Slytherin.... A blood relative of Todeskrieger."  He then commanded the Gryffindor boys back to their dorms and he gestured to a few of the trainees who were older and not Hogwarts students to come to him.

Tommy looked on as Alexander, Phillip, Devon and Herbert, the boys he looked up to, all turned their backs and walked away. Only Alastor remained. Alastor looked at Aldo. "Aldo the boy is not a spy and he is not the enemy. If you don't want him here just send him away, send him back to Hogwarts."

"And for him to tell of our secret location, I do not think so" Aldo said. "Alastor if you even want to be considered for the Auror programme, walk away."

Alastor shook his head. "No I will not let you harm him, he is only eleven."  Alastor pulled out his wand. There was a red beam and Alastor jumped in front of Tommy and put up a shield. Tommy opened his mind link to Harry and screamed for help.

----------

Half an hour later a group of unspeakables along with Harold Potter, Edgar Bones and Tiberius Prince landed on the island.

A group of Senior Aurors came up to them. They heard the head Unspeakable Fisher say to search the island.  Most of the unspeakables moved out ignoring the Aurors who were asking what they were looking for.

Harold looked at them "We came looking for Tom Reiner, we were told he is here, he is not authorised to be here."

Aldo looked at them and with a smirk said "there is no one by that name here."

Fisher looked at Aldo and he and Aconite circled the unspeakable. Aldo snorted "If you think you intimidation techniques will work on me, then you have another thing coming."

Aconite moved near him and whispered "You have no idea what I am capable of... where is the boy?"

"He is not here..." Aldo started but felt a cold icy feeling shiver down his spine, it was followed by a feeling of absolute dread. He tried to move but found he couldn't.

"We will not ask again, where is the boy?" Fisher whispered. Aldo felt the pores in his arm raise and an electrical surge of magic moved lightly over his skin; it just had the slight touch of pain, like tiny pin prinks.

"I don't know" Aldo said.

At that moment a group of unspeakables came in, one had a backpack Aconite recognised. Kid said "Tommy's things are here, he is not on the island though... Boss one of the Hogwarts kids, Alastor Moody he is in the infirmary, one of his eyes was gouged out.  It is still bleeding, couldn't have happen more than fifteen minutes ago."

Harold shook his head and Edgar said something in a strange language and Kid answered. The three ran out.

Fisher moved his hand and Aldo screams echoed throughout the island. Aconite looked at the screaming Auror and growled "Alastor Moody is the son of a senior Auror, is that what you do to your own? What did you do to Tom?"

"The boy is evil, he is a serpent speaker" Aldo said.

"Wrong answer" Aconite screamed and used a cruciatus on the man. At this time, the cruciatus was an obscure charm, it was only declared an unforgivable sometime in the early 1940's a fact Aconite took full advantage of.

Fisher whistled and Aconite looked at him angrily but let up the curse. Fisher moved to the still screaming Auror trainer and said "We received secure transition from Tom indicating that you Auror Aldo was attacking him... you and several other older trainees, all of whose names we have. We know he was on the island at least up to half an hour ago. His last transition had him with you... now for the last time or you will not see the sun set and yes I do have that authority, now where is Tom Reiner?"

"Auror Kendal took him to his family" Aldo said.

Aconite shook his head "He is not home, his mother would have contacted us immediately."

Aldo shook his head "The boy has no mother, he is an orphan... Kendal said he knew the boy's uncle."

Aconite screamed and shouted "You kidnapped my son and sent him to Todeskrieger. I will..." The angry former Death Eater raised his wand "Avada..." Severus did not get to finish as Tiberius jumped in front of the Auror.

"Please... please do not stain your soul for him. I will ensure Edgar charges them appropriately" Tiberius said.

Aconite looked at Tiberius and lowered his wand and walked off, the others gasped as they saw him raise his arms and flew off without a broom.

Fisher looked up as the blacked robed man flew off like a human dementor. Fisher looked at Tiberius and said "He needs to release some of his magic..." Tiberius nodded. Fisher then looked at Aldo and said "We have guarded and protected that child for near to ten years and because of your stupid ignorance and hatred against something you don't understand; you have put the whole world at risk. Pray Edgar gives you the kiss because you would not like it if we get our hands on you."

.................

Tommy's head hurt and there was a constant pounding, his body pained and he felt the pain down to his bones. He heard Harry calling him.

‘Harry'

‘Tommy you are up, did Dad and Uncle John find you? They should be on the island by now.'

Tommy opened his eyes and looked around. ‘Don't think I am on the island... they used some arrest spell and I don't know, it looks like I am in some jail.'

‘Okay just tell me what you see and I will tell mum who will get dad.'

Tommy thought of his dad, he thought about everything... ‘Dad is going to kill me.'

‘He will have to rescue you first.'

Tommy groaned.

‘Okay time to focus, remember what mum taught us.'

Tommy thought back to sessions with Sarah. He looked around and told Harry what he saw; he was in a cell and he saw no one else around. Harry then told him to check his own vitals; Tommy told him about the headache and the pain. Harry told him to check for his wand; Tommy did not have it. With Harry's help Tommy used mind magic to heal himself of his headache and using parselmagic techniques fortified his body and magic. Tommy then stood and checked to see if he could walk and move around, he checked the bars and again with Harry's help they tried wandless magic to try and open the door, it did not work but an alarm went off. Tommy moved to the furthermost region of the cell.

A group of four Aurors came in, including Kendal. Tommy frowned. Kendal looked at Tommy and told him he was at a Ministry of Magic house and his parents were on their way.

Tommy immediately knew that he was lying. Harry agreed. There was then a loud explosion and a second group of men came in, they fought the Aurors who were quickly incapacitated. Then a man came in the room, he was richly dressed in green and silver armour, he was bald and had tattoos on his face so it looked like he had scales like a snake and he had a face that Tommy knew.

"[You are Morfin]" Tommy said in parseltongue. The man looked like Grandpa Marvolo but younger.

"[Smart boy, yes I am your uncle. I am here to rescue you child]" Morfin replied.

Tommy was mentally relating what was going on and he sent the message to Harry that he knew Morfin was lying.  Tommy asked him what to do. 

Harry looked around and told Marvolo and Sarah who were sitting with him what was happening. Marvolo thought about it and said "Tell Tommy to go with him; if he stays in that room or if Morfin knocks him out, we will never find him. Tell Tommy as soon as he is outside to give us clues to where they are."

Tommy got the message and went with his uncle.

Ten minutes later, the group of Unspeakables and a few trusted Aurors led by Harold Potter were in the room with the cell. Harold had his men arrest the group of Aurors who had brought Tommy there. Fisher questioned Kendal but before they got an answer. Aconite got a mirror message from Sarah.

Aconite looked at Fisher "They are at Gringotts."  Harold took the arrested men in and the Unspeakables went to Gringotts.

...........

Morfin and the other man who was with him got angry when Tommy could not open the vaults. The snake on the door hissed and Morfin got even angrier.

"The guardian snake says Marvolo put extra wards. The boy's adopted father needs to be here when the vault is open" Morfin told the other man.

The man cursed in what Tommy knew was German.  He then said "I have waited too long, I want my wand now."

Morfin looked at him and said something Tommy did not understand. The other man slapped Morfin and shouted something else. Morfin cursed very colourfully in parseltongue.

The other man said "Let's get out of here. We will go to plan B."

Morfin looked a bit frightful but then annoyed. Morfin grabbed Tommy and they started moving out. They reached the surface and came out of the secret passageway, the goblin loyal to them leading the way. There was a flash of light and Morfin and Gellert Grindelwald saw themselves surrounded by Unspeakables and goblin guards. The goblins were led by Magnus.

Morfin grabbed Tommy and held a knife to the boy's throat "I will kill him."

Fisher shook his head "The only Slytherin alive powerful enough to open the vaults, I don't think so."

Aconite looked at Tommy and then at the blond and said "You are a slippery little cobra aren't you, always slithering out of our grip." Severus saw Tommy give a discrete nod and continued talking. Tommy understood the code.

Morfin started spouting on the supremacy of purebloods and the noble Salazar. Then in the middle of his speech, Tommy bit him on the arm and as Morfin loosened his grip the boy used a parselmagic technique his grandfather taught him and slipped out of his uncle's arms and went down to the ground. Immediately the unspeakables fired. Tommy used his parselmagic combined with skills Sarah taught him and moved quickly to the wall and almost disappeared in the shadows of the wall.

The battle lasted only a few seconds but then came to an abrupt end when Morfin and Grindelwald portkeyed out. Magnus was furious and screamed that the bank had wards which prevented portkeys. The goblin captain of the guards immediately went to the cursebreakers. Fisher indicated that the only goblin he trusted was Magnus everyone was suspect.

Aconite went to his son who came running up to him, he held him tightly and Fisher nodded to them. Severus then handed Tommy his wand, they had found it with the Auror Kendal. Aconite then took Tommy home.

Tommy was immediately surrounded by many people, first and foremost was Sarah who did a medical scan and healed all his cuts and bruises. Thomas Riddle also checked his biological son. Tommy noticed the man had large bags under his eyes and a few more grey hairs than the last time he saw him which was during the Christmas vacation. Tommy looked at Harry who had a really angry and yet disappointed look on his face. Harry looked at him "I am glad you are safe." Tommy nodded and tears fell as Harry walked off.

‘Harry' Tommy called out in their mind link.

Harry did not turn around but moved towards his room. ‘I love you my brother but right now I cannot be in your presence.'

Tommy called his brother again but felt Harry's mental blocks go up. Tommy shed a tear, he had felt his brother's love for him but he also felt the deep hurt and feeling of betrayal and distrust.

Marvolo came in and looked at Tommy "You okay?" Tommy nodded and then yelped as his grandfather grabbed him and started landing very hard smacks on his backside.  The angry Grandfather then started hissing angrily while he continued to punish his grandson and heir.

Severus looked at Marvolo and nodded, he knew he would have to talk with his son as well but knew he could not do so now. He looked at Sarah "I am going back to Gringotts, John is there. We will be going to have to interrogate the Aurors and possibly cursebreakers who were helping Morfin and Grindelwald. I suspect they are still in the country."

Sarah nodded and said "I will keep an eye on everything here. Tommy is safe now, go on."  Severus gave her a deep kiss and left.

A few hours later Tommy laid on his bed he was still crying as he realised how much heartache he had caused everyone. When he heard that the entire unspeakable corps had been searching for him for the past few days, he felt badly. His grandfather was angry at his wilful disobedience and his rejection of all the teaching and values that had been instilled in him over the years. Thomas had also scolded him and told him if he did not know how scared they had been. Sarah held him and told him she was happy he was home but she too was disappointed in the choice he made; she however asked him about what happened over the week and about his feelings. Harry still hadn't spoken to him and his father had left. Tommy knew his dad never punished them when he was angry and therefore needed time to cool down.

Tommy cried again and felt a familiar magic, he turned around and saw his brother next to his bed; he hadn't even heard the door open.

"You lied to me" Harry said. Tommy did not answer. "Am I such a terrible brother than you had to follow Graham and Weasley?" Again Tommy did not say anything. "You pushed me out and pushed me away, you sided with the enemy... not Gryffindors but the select group of students, I warned you about. Regi warned you about them, Minerva warned you about them, even Damien and Daniel warned you about them. You did not trust us, you listened to them. You have a mind link to me, you know my thoughts, you know my feelings, we are closer than most brothers ever get... we are the Slytherin Phoenix Brothers and yet you abandoned me, you blocked me out and you went to them, you believed them and not me. In my mind, you obviously do not trust me. I love you and I would die for you but I don't know if..." Harry did not get to finish as the house-elf Ella popped in.

Ella looked at the brothers "Princess Luthien's baby is on its way... Mistress Sarah said to inform you Master Harry."

Harry nodded, he had indicated that he wanted to learn more about Healing and Medicine, so Sarah told him he could help as her assistant when Luthien went into labour. Harry stood up and looked at his brother "You may come if you wish, I am sure Grandpa Marvolo and Prince Elros would not mind your company."

Tommy shook his head "I am grounded." Harry nodded and left the room. Tommy once more started to cry and fell asleep with the tears still running down his face. He did not see the shoe at the side of his bed glow, he did not see the hidden tracking device activate, he did not see his uncle Morfin appear into his room.

Morfin grinned "Plan B, follow the brat home and kill everyone in the house, including my blasted father. Once he is dead, I become Head of the family and can overpower his orders. The ring will come to me and so will the brat." Morfin moved out of the room and looked for an area where he could summon his generals.

 

To be continued...
Chapter 12: Battle of the Snakes by Keats

Aconite and Fisher interrogated the Auror Kendal. Kendal at first indicated that he was innocent. He claimed that the dark wizards attacked and overpowered them. Aconite finally got angry and used legilimency on the man. Kendal was not only a loyal follower of Grindelwald but he had been the one to recruit other Aurors to his side. Kendal was one of the few who knew about the real relationship between Grindelwald and Todeskrieger. All of the other Aurors including Aldo thought Grindelwald was leading the fight against the Slytherin Dark Lord.  Severus saw no link between Kendal and Dumbledore.

Severus and John were discussing what had happened that day in John's office when Severus felt one of his personal alarms go off. Severus looked at John in horror "Someone is attacking Willow Castle."

The entire Unspeakable corps and Auror corps were outside Willow Castle in minutes. The castle had new wards which blocked them out including Severus. Severus screamed. The goblin Magnus came in and told them that the security wards Gringotts held for Severus and Harry had gone off. Magnus said that they had found two of the human cursebreakers who had helped Grindelwald. He told them that one of the cursebreakers, indicated a third Parkinson the banks most senior human employee had been teaching Morfin how to create rune wards. Magnus said that Parkinson was missing.

"Is Morfin smart enough to do runes? If Parkinson is with him why have the man learn it?" Aconite asked more to himself.

"He just needs to know what to copy" Fisher said and feeling the new wards on the castle he turned to Aconite and said "Parselmagic... Parkinson may have been doing the runes and had Morfin copy it in parslescript. These wards feel like the ones on the serpentarium. Morfin put up new wards using parselscript runes."

Aconite looked at him "So you cannot break it?"

Fisher shook his head "Not without a parselmouth."

Aconite looked at the castle and despaired, all of the parselmouths in the world were most likely inside the castle.

............

Sarah used her wand to monitor the progress of the baby "I suspect in less than half an hour, she will be in your arms."

Luthien nodded but said nothing, she was tired and had bouts of dizziness and had blacked out twice.

Thomas was also monitoring her and was currently wiping her forehead; he was obviously very concerned about her. Harry looked on and did everything Thomas or Sarah asked him to do. The house-elf Ella who was a certified house-elf healer was also there and kept using elf charms on the high elf Princess. Ella's mother Misty was also there and kept running back and forth bringing towels and potions.

Sarah looked at Luthien and said "okay you will be getting another contraction any second now..."

As the elf princess screamed there was a loud alarm.

Marvolo came into the room "there are intruders in the castle. You all stay in here. I will call Severus and then get the elf warriors to hunt them down. Maybe you should ward the room."

Luthien looked at Marvolo and said "Elros." 

Marvolo nodded, the elf prince did not want to be in the room. They all knew that the child Luthien was carrying was most likely not his. Over the last few days he had come to see her only three time.  Sarah said he was feeling guilty as he was not able to protect his wife from what she had experienced. He had a hard time dealing with it, he however said he did not blame her for what happened and still called her wife.

Marvolo went out the room and looked at elves. Rudger and his team were always close by Elros and took turns guarding the Prince. Rudger himself had been waiting with Elros, Marvolo and Fenrir (who was very excited about the baby) when the alarm had gone off. Marvolo had immediately told them what the alarm had been.  All of the other elf warriors were now standing by Elros. Their rooms were all in this area of the castle. They all had their weapons drawn.

Marvolo looked at the four elves (the fifth Cirdan had gone back to the Black Forest to Elendur to report they had found Elros and that he still called Luthien his wife). Marvolo took command and said "I need your aid until Severus comes. Battle Maiden Nimloth I will ask you to take Elros and go into the birthing room and guard all those in the room. Rudger you and the others I will ask you to help me hunt the intruders. I need also to..."

Severus' house elf Nip came in with a pop. Nip informed him "It is your son Morfin, he and ten others have entered. He has cast his own snake wards and I cannot get out or get through on the emergency mirror. I have sent my sons Cal and Jar to get to Master Tom. I gave them instructions to take him to the emergency room.  The other house-elves have all started emergency procedures."

Marvolo nodded he looked at Fenrir, he could not put him in the birthing room, his werewolf side would be attracted to the blood and the smell of the newborn.  He looked at Nip and said "I will take Fenrir to the emergency room. I need you to monitor the intruders and tell Rudger where they are."

Rudger looked at Marvolo and said "I would prefer one more than Nimloth go to protect the Prince and Princess."

Marvolo shook his head. "Sarah may look fragile but she is a trained unspeakable and Harry is exceedingly powerful and a better warrior that some in your party."

Rudger nodded and looked at Nimloth who gestured to the frightened Prince. Elros looked like he would have preferred to face the intruders than to go into the room where his wife was giving birth.

Marvolo looked at the prince and said "Your wife needs you now. It does not matter what has happened in the past. She needs you now more than ever, if we fail, you need to protect her and her baby."

Elros nodded and left with Nimloth.  Nip then told the high elf warriors where the intruders were. Marvolo said he was going to take Fenrir to the emergency room and get some of the castle guards to protect the castle.  Everyone ran to do what they needed to do.

Marvolo held Fenrir by his arm and started running down a corridor. Fenrir looked both scared and excited. The teenaged werewolf said "I could fight I am really strong and trained."

"I know you are trained, I am one of those who train you. Little one, this is going to be a kill or be killed fight. I do not want you to experience the pains of killing another human. Only if your life is in danger should you kill. Right now it is safest if you hide."

"I am a Slytherin, we are not the brave warriors that Gryffindors are but we are not chickens" Fenrir said with a pout.

"Little boy do not tell me about being Slytherin, do I have to remind you who I am" the head of the Slytherin family asked. Fenrir shook his head feeling really stupid. "Sometimes you have to know when something is more than you could handle and when you need to hide to live for another day."

Fenrir nodded and looked at where they were and realised where the emergency room was. They were heading towards the serpentarium. Fenrir immediately thought it was a good thing that Marcus was spending the vacation with his father and brothers in Little Hangleton.  For a minute Fenrir wondered if they were going into the serpentarium itself but Marvolo went to the iron doors with the intertwining snakes. Marvolo hissed and the door opened. Marvolo told him to go in and that there was a level area about a mile down and that he was to stay there until he came for him.  Fenrir immediately obeyed.

Marvolo stood for a minute and then opened the serpentarium, he hissed and opened the inner door. The snakes all came to him, he explained what was going on and what he wanted. The large boa Karina came out and went to near the entrance of the empty Basilisk room. A few of the mambas, asps, cobras and the lone magical snake the merlin's mamba came out and hissed and went to protect the castle.  He did not worry about the snakes attacking any friend as Marvolo would cast a parselmagic spell of identification on everyone who was welcome and the snakes knew what to look for. Marvolo told the others to remain where they were and to protect this room. He had warned all of the snakes that one of the intruders was his son; all of the snakes knew of Morfin.

Marvolo stood pacing for a few minutes, the elves Cal and Jar should have come with Tommy already. All three knew the secret passageways and the two elves should have been able to elf travel with Tommy. Something was wrong. He turned to Karina and said "[I have another mission for you.]"

......

Tommy was scared; he was magically bound and gagged and was on the shoulder of a really large German half-giant. He had glimpsed Cal and Jar and knew they were going to try and rescue him. He was scared for them as the intruders had already killed four of the family's elves. He knew his uncle was leading the group. The man was talking loudly about the castle being Slytherin Castle and that it was soon going to be his.  Tommy knew this was all his fault, Morfin had told him that they found the castle through carefully hidden tracking charms in his shoe.  Morfin laughed and told him that he was going to keep him as his heir as he was proving to be a worthy helper.

Tommy closed his eyes and called his brother. Harry immediately responded.

Less than five minutes later Morfin and his group were attacked by the high elves. Rudger's arrow shot the runes master Parkinson right between the eyes. The man had been working on neutralising some of the wards John had put on the castle. After Parkinson slumped to the ground all of the intruders were put on guard and started attacking. Morfin shouted orders and the man holding Tommy ran to the side and back down the corridor.

Tommy felt like a sack of potatoes.

The man suddenly stopped and screamed out. Tommy could not see what was going on, all he could see from his position over the man's shoulder was the man's back and butt. He did however hear the hissing. He smirked, Grandpa had obviously released Karina and she was very angry and very protective of her little hatchlings as she called him and Harry. Tom then heard Harry in his mind calling him.

The German Hans who held Tommy saw the massive boa constrictor in front of him, it was glaring at him. He took out his wand and intended on killing the massive snake when a stunner was sent at him. He had to put up a shield. He saw a young boy no more than thirteen standing in front of him next to the snake. He was obviously the one who was on his shoulder brother. The boy sent another spell and the man smirked however he was shocked to feel his shield crack. The boy was powerful. He however was one of Germany's most skilled defence masters and while the boy was exceedingly powerful he was still a boy.

Hans moved Tommy and put him to sit on the ground next to him. He called out in German and heard Karl respond. Tommy was bound with a spell and could not move but saw the second German coming towards him. There was a flash of black and Tommy smiled as two mambas struck out and attacked the man Karl.  Karl did not expect them and on instinct killed one but the second had already struck a second time and then a third and a fourth time. Karl was soon dead. Hans cast another shield but seeing what happened to Karl, sent the spell to kill the second mamba.

In the spilt second that Hans took to turn to kill the mamba, Karina rose up and struck. The heavy snake was faster that Hans believed and while the snake did not penetrate his shields the impact of the snake attack was enough to make the man stumble.  He was shocked nothing had ever made him lose his balance, he was a half-giant but he had never fought a boa before. He quickly recovered and started sending killing curses. Tommy watched as both Karina and Harry moved together. Using serpentine movements they were able to dodge the attacks. Harry twisted and turned and sent spell after spell against the man.

Hans was taken aback, the boy was flexible and difficult to hit. He also had the large snake to worry about.

Tommy gasped as he felt someone touch him, out of the corner of his eye he saw Cal reaching to him. Hans saw the elf and sent an attack but Jar put up a block which protected his brother and Tommy. Tommy continued to look at his brother. Harry had a serious look; he was concentrating on his battle and did not take his eyes off of Hans but seemed to know what Karina was doing as well. Tommy saw Harry use his magic and saw the parselmagic their Grandpa had taught them. Tommy saw Harry using fighting techniques that their dad had taught them and then a lightning fast battle rune that Uncle John had taught them. The rune shattered Hans shield and the fight started anew.

Tommy looked at his brother and Karina battle the man and it was impressive. Hans was obviously very good but Harry was obviously determined. Harry lacked the man's physical size and experience however Harry had Karina who was physically strong and together they worked well together.

It was only a matter of time but Hans made a slip and Harry and Karina picked up on it immediately. Harry and the boa struck at the same time. Harry disarmed the man and Karina knocked him down. Karina immediately started wrapping herself around the man. Tommy saw the knife but could not warn Harry or Karina. Hans pulled his knife and stabbed the snake. Blood spurted from Karina but the boa was very determined, she continued to coil around him, the knife now slicing her side but she continued. Harry told her thanks and that he loved her, she hissed for him to go. Harry nodded and picked up his brother. Cal and Jar immediately took them by elf travel to the room with the snake pillars.

Harry had trouble holding Tommy because of the angle the boy was at and because he was heavy. Harry did not want to do magic as he knew that any magic could be traced and he did not want the others to know where they were.

They were half-way down the stairway when the spell binding Tommy was released. They both knew that Hans was finally dead. Jar handed Tommy his wand which had been under his pillow and he wasn't given time to grab it before he was stunned.

Tommy held his wand in his hand and ran down the stairs with Harry.  The cobra that stood at the bottom of the stairway told them to hurry and get into the emergency room. Tommy stopped and said "Harry we could go and help, together we could fight them."

Harry looked at Tommy sternly. "Right now we need to go to the emergency room. We need to trust that Grandpa will do what is right. Now Tom do I have to bind you to get you to do what we are expected to do or are you going defy the family and disobey again."

Tommy looked at his brother and shook his head "No Harry, I will go to the room."

Harry nodded and holding his brother's hand led the way to the intertwining door. Harry called to the door and used the emergency code that both boys knew. The door opened and they ran through. As soon as they both entered Cal gave his brother a nod and he left. Jar went in with Harry and Tommy. Harry hissed the command and the door slammed closed. Cal left and went to inform Marvolo that the boys were all in the emergency room.

.......

Severus stood outside of his own castle and could not get in. He had tried entering through the floo from his manor in Manchester but the floo was blocked.

"Can't you override the wards, if it is your castle shouldn't you be able to override the wards" Harold asked.

Severus shook his head "It is not my castle. It belongs to Harry."

Harold looked at him in shock. Severus explained "When we first moved here we were looking at houses and Harry fell in love with Willow Castle. I thought it was ridiculous as it was really just a pile of rock. I bought the manor in Manchester. However Harry longed for the castle, he kept harassing me to buy it. I told him that it was not a real Castle anymore and just rock. He showed me drawings he made of what the completed castle would look like. I told him it would take too long, it would be expensive, all sorts of excuses and he found answers for all. He has his own money and his own heritage and begged me and said he would buy it with his own money.  I still refused. He then informed Magnus to use the money from his heritage fund and purchase the castle. I am in charge of his fund and Magnus contacted me when he requested it. I allowed it because, I knew he would never stop. Because he is not of age the castle is in my name but by magic it belongs to him.  I decided to help him build his castle. While I coordinated everything, the ideas, the love, even the money for the castle comes from Harry. It was only years later we discovered the parselmagic wards on the place."

"Being a parselmouth he was attracted to it" Harold said in understanding.

Severus nodded "like a moth to a flame."

Harold chuckled, then bit his lip a habit that Harry also had. It was a sign he wanted to ask a question but was afraid to. Harold took a breath "You do not talk about your first wife, Harry's mother. What was she like?" Harold stopped and then said "Harry is obviously a Potter, well obvious to me at least, he looks a lot like I did as a child except the eyes and the lightning bolt scar on his head of course and my magic pulses around him. As Lord Potter magic allows me to identify those who fall in my protection.  I know he is your son and you are not related to me, so obviously his mother was of the line."

Severus did not answer.

Harold became nervous by the man's silence. He then quickly said "I mean she must have also been related to Slytherin as the only way you could become a parselmouth is by being born into the family."

Severus shook his head and was about to say something when he stopped. Harold saw the wheels in the man's head turning. Fisher looked at him and then Severus looked at him. "I know who could help us."

Fisher looked at Severus and said "The person has to be a parselmouth and all the parslemouths alive are inside the castle."

Severus nodded and then said "I know, I never said it was a person." Both Fisher and Harold looked at him as if he was crazy.

A few minutes later they were no longer confused. Both Fisher and Harold accompanied Severus and after first sending Ogden to wake and collect the Headmaster, they made their way to the Slytherin dorm rooms. Severus went immediately to the portrait of Salazar Slytherin.

Salazar looked at Severus and smiled. "I was wondering if I would ever get to meet you Headmaster Reiner. Though if what I know is true and it is because there are certain magics you cannot fool, Reiner is most likely not your name isn't it.  You look like a Prince so my guess would be Headmaster Prince."

"My mother was the Prince but regardless Reiner is my name now" Severus said, he was really happy that he had sent Harold to get Slughorn.

"I am sure your story is a fascinating one but what I really want to know is how?" Salazar said scanning Severus as if taking in every detail about the man. Fisher smiled as he saw Severus fold his arms and put on what he termed his Professor demeanour. It really was an intimidating look.

The doorway opened and Dippet came in with Slughorn and to Severus horror Dumbledore.  Severus turned to Salazar and said "now is neither the time nor is it the right place." Salazar looked at Severus and then looked at Dumbledore and nodded. The portrait had picked up the flare in the man's eyes when Dumbledore came in.

Salazar looked at him and said "Indeed, now what help do you need from me? If I were to guess Henri, Tom and Lord Marvolo have been kidnapped or in some way abducted by the new dark lord who has appeared."

"How do you know that?" Harold asked looking at the portrait suspiciously.

Salazar gave Harold a condescending look and said "You come to the Slytherin dorms at almost two in the morning. So there is obviously an emergency. Emergencies usually fall into few categories, medical being the most common. However I do not think it would be medical because then you would not come to me. The only reason you would seek me out is for having a talent you could not get elsewhere. The only talent I have that is very rare is being a parselmouth. However Henri, Tom and Lord Marvolo are also parselmouths and are obviously not available to you.  Therefore the emergency is obviously about them and I do not know of any medical emergency that may befall all three that requires a parselmouth. It is therefore probably something not medical and kidnapping is a viable option.  While I am a portrait I am in fact well aware of things that are happening outside. I also well aware of the relationship between the new dark Lord and the current Head of the noble and most ancient house of Slytherin.  It was an obvious conclusion."

Severus nodded but then said "you are very close but there is a twist. Mofin has locked us out of Willow Castle and has used parselmagic to change the wards so now none can enter."

Salazar looked at Severus and after a minute of thinking Salazar said "the wards of a manor should not reject the owner... unless you are not the owner?"

Severus shook his head and said "Henri is."

Salazar looked at him and asked "Where is this castle?"

Severus smiled and "about fifteen miles south east from here." Severus then gave the latitude and longitude of Willow castle and Salazar smiled knowingly.  Severus then told him "We have a beautiful serpentarium, it is just to the side of the secret vault with intertwining snakes."

Salazar smiled and said "I would like to see how it looks."

Severus smirked and said "I could show you tonight but first you have to help me break the wards."

Salazar considered it and said "If I am right about you, you can take me down and carry me to the gateway. I am going to be honest, I am not an expert in runes and wards, that was Rowena's specialty but there is a way of getting into the grounds without breaking the wards."

Severus considered it and it was obvious he was trying to figure it out and then Salazar said "Did you ever meet Rani?"

Severus' eyes widened and said "Are you out of your mind old man. Obviously the millennium has addled your idiotic and deranged magical mind." Severus went on a rant until Salazar put up his hand.

"If you take me with you she will obey" Salazar said.

Fisher looked at Severus' panic, he had a feeling he knew who Rani was, he said "I cannot guarantee she will not be seen."

"It is early in the morn, very few are up far less out of their homes. We can leave from the forest. It is only fifteen miles, we can reach within the hour" Salazar said.

There was a beep and Fisher took out his communicator. Severus heard the Unspeakable Fisher put in charge say that there was a loud explosion coming from the castle second floor a short while ago. This call triggered a reminder that his family was trapped in the castle. Severus nodded his head and Fisher looked at him and said "Are you sure?"

Severus nodded "Yes, we planned to transfer her sometime anyway. Now is a good a time."

Fisher nodded and said "I will ensure the way is clear. Salazar I am putting great trust in you." The portrait nodded.

.........

Harry, Fenrir and Tommy sat in the vegetative region of the chamber. Tommy was sitting alone on one side and Harry and Fenrir sat on the other.  Fenrir looked at Harry who was patting the baby phoenix in his hand and said "Why are you not talking to your brother?"

Harry glared at him.

Fenrir shook his head. "Since I have known you, every fifth word is Tommy. For most of last term I had to hear how worried you were about your brother. For the last week you were almost crazy with worry; now you are ignoring him."

"He doesn't want me as a brother Fen, he wants his cool Gryffindor friends" Harry said sadly.

Fenrir looked at him "Are you kidding me, every two words out of his mouth is Harry or my brother or my brother Harry."

"That was pre-Hogwarts now... he lied to me, he doesn't trust me, he..."

"He is scared and alone and thinks you hate him" Fenrir said. Harry looked at him and Fenrir tapped his nose "I could smell his fear and his despair, he is also crying."

Harry looked at his brother who sat all alone on the other side, part of him wanted to go to him the other part was angry at him.

Fenrir sighed and said "Did I ever tell you why I am not with my family, the real reason?"

Harry looked at him "I thought your parents kicked you out?"

"Actually yes and no" Fenrir said and then took a deep breath. "I too had a brother, like you and Tommy, we were close really close; we were eleven months apart not even a full year. We did everything together. Then that night I wanted to play a prank on old Mr Harris, who was this old cranky guy who lived in the woods about a mile out from our estate. My brother told me it was a bad night and he had this really bad feeling, he made me promise that I would not go, I promised but..."

"You did not listen" Harry said.

Fenrir shook his head "No I didn't. What I did not know was that Mr. Harris was a werewolf... my brother he realised I had gone and followed me. Mr. Harris bit me and would have killed me but my brother he... he used himself as bait and ran off and Mr. Harris ran after him. My brother shouted for me to get away and to call our father. I did and my father and uncle went... they found him half eaten. They killed the werewolf but it was too late my brother was dead. My father kept saying that I should have been the one to die, that if my brother had not gone after me he would be alive. My brother was my father's first born and my uncle who was my mother's brother suggested that I had tricked my brother so I would be heir. That month was the worst month of my life. When I turned the next moon, the people on the estate tried to hunt me and I ran, my father did not join them but he did not stop them... my uncle led the group."

"You did not go back after that first full moon" Harry said.

"Yes I did actually as I really did not remember much but when I saw my uncle with the knife it came back to me. My mother did not come but she sent a loyal house-elf to help me pack a few things and she sent a portkey that took me a forested area outside of London. I do not blame her; I know she did it so I would be safe."

"I am sure your dad was just grieving, I am sure he loves you" Harry said sympathetically.

"I don't know but Harry, the first two months I did not love me. I wanted to kill myself. I was grateful when your family took me in. I don't know if you remember the first week I was here. Tommy let the snake lose at dinner and Marcus fainted and there was so much panic."

"He wanted to see if you were scared of snakes" Harry said.

"Yeah but your dad thought it was you, since it was your little Mamba and he spanked you" Fenrir said.

Harry looked at him "And?"

"And when I asked you why you didn't squeal on your brother you said that is what brothers did for one another.  I asked you if you weren't angry and you said no and that no matter what crazy thing Tommy did you would always love him and look out for him. I asked you if it was something so terrible that he would get the dementor's kiss and you said that you loved your brother unconditionally and no matter what he did you would love him and forgive him. You told me about the incident with the broom and how scared you were and how everyone forgave you and still loved you. You told me that you would willingly die for your brother. The thing is Harry, I took your words to heart, it was as if my brother was speaking to me. You and your whole family made me feel like a human being and not a monster. I actually told your dad about what happened and he talked to me and told me about letting the guilt go and all of that. Right now I am scared that there actually is something that you would not forgive your brother for..."

Harry nodded in understanding. Fenrir put his hand on Harry's shoulder and said "I was never given the chance to tell my brother I was sorry. I never got to hear him say he forgave me and that is my eternal burden to bear."

Harry nodded and put the phoenix chick on his shoulder and went over to Tommy who looked up at him in tears. Harry sighed and said "Have you been punished enough."

Tommy cried more and Harry shook his head and opened his arms and his brother launched himself at him. Harry held him tightly. Fenrir looked at the two and nodded.

Both Tommy and Harry felt a pulse in the wards and they looked at each other and then at Fenrir and Jar who had obviously not felt it. Tommy looked at his brother "What was that?"

Harry smiled and said "If I were to guess I would say our cousin has made an appearance."

In the birthing room Thomas held the little baby girl and was cleaning her up. He looked over at Sarah who was desperately trying to heal Luthien who was not doing well. The house-elf Ella was also using a lot of magic and they both knew that the high elf was dying. 

Elros looked on in horror. Misty looked at him and told him to talk with his wife. Elros shook his head but Nimloth told him that the shadow of death was on her. Elros went and held her hand. She looked at him and smiled. Sarah heard them talking and didn't have to know elvish to know that Luthien was telling her husband how much she loved him. Sarah shed a tear, the high-elf was dying and she could not stop it. If she had access to Severus' potions lab or if she could get her to St. Mungo's they would have a chance.

She looked around and sighed. She looked at Thomas and said "I need to get some potions that could save her. Do you think you could help her?"

Thomas gestured to Elros to hold the baby. Elros looked at it frightened; it was so tiny. Luthien said she wanted to hold her but they knew she was too weak. Elros gave a nod and Thomas gave the baby to Luthien and Elros moved behind her and held her and cradled her arms so she could hold the baby.

Nimloth said she would go but Sarah said Severus' private storage cupboard of classified potions would not allow access besides her. She told Nimloth to stay and protect the room. She nodded.

Sarah asked Misty to come with her and the elf nodded. She lowered the wards on the room and she and the house-elf went out and then sealed the room once more. Sarah was immediately set upon by a large German. She went into unspeakable mode immediately. Shadow moved backwards and using a combination of magic known to only Malfoy women and years of skill she leapt onto the wall and almost disappeared in the shadows. The German was at first taken aback but quickly settled and cast a lumos to dispel any shadows but as soon as the light was cast the woman was on him and his scream was heard all along the corridors.

Morfin heard the scream and sneered. He looked at his body guards Klaus and Hort and told them to be on guard. Morfin knew his father was near. "[Where are you old man are you going to let women and children fight your battles? I am here to claim what is rightfully mine]"

Marvolo walked out "[The only thing rightfully yours is a swift kick in the arse]."

Klaus sent a dark magic hex at Marvolo who moved swiftly and dodged it. Marvolo moved like a snake and in a shocking move, turned into one and struck the German Klaus. Using his tail snapped the man's neck and turned back into a human once more. He used the body of the dead man as a shield against Hort who was now sending dark magic hexes. Marvolo was swift powerful and deadly. Three other Germans came running in and within two minutes two more were dead.

Morfin looked at his father. He had never seen his father fight, he had seen him turn into a snake a few times and except for carving the occasional spoon or bowl or hex he never really did magic. This man in front of him was nothing like the man he remembered. Morfin knew he could not face him and did the only thing he could do and that was run.

Marvolo sneered but continued fighting.  He saw Rudger beside him and they fought back to back.

Morfin ran and saw Reinhart coming towards him. "I have found the room where the elf woman is. I hear a baby."

Morfin stopped and considered the pulse in the wards, he had felt the change in the wards and on his soul. "My heir. Take me to the room."

............

Tommy (with Fawkes on his shoulder), Fenrir and Jar sat looking at Harry who was showing them one of the parselmagic katas that he had created. They all felt the ground shake. Tommy, Fenrir and Jar immediately stood up. Tommy and Fenrir pulled out their wands.

Harry had his wand out and then threw himself in front of his brother as a large basilisk came out of the ‘river' that flowed through the room. Fenrir screamed and Jar cast a shield around them all. They all looked and saw the creature's eyes were white and not yellow as they had learnt in the books; yellow eyes meant instant death.

Tommy was the first to notice the two wizards on top of the giant snake's back. "DAD!"

Harry looked and saw his dad and Uncle John on the snake's back; both had bubblehead charms over their heads. He heard parseltongue and saw his dad had the shrunken portrait of Salazar Slytherin in his hand. Both wizards removed their bubbleheads and jumped off the snake's back.

Harry, Tommy, Fenrir and Jar all spoke at once and John put up his hand. "I can't understand what you are all saying. You have to speak one at a time."

Severus scoffed and said "Morfin and ten Germans attacked the compound. Marvolo and Rudger and the other elves have gone to hunt them. The snakes have been released and hunt the intruders. Harry and Karina killed a large half giant who had taken Tommy hostage. And Marvolo has them hiding in here which is the emergency room."

Salazar said "And from what Henri said, I have a new heir."

John looked at Severus in amazement. Severus chuckled and said "Teaching gives you skills you can't learn anywhere else. Come on. Boys I want you to remain here."

John shook his head. "I need Harry to drop the wards around the house. The Aurors and Unspeakables would be able to get in."

"With the snakes guarding, any strangers to the castle would be attacked. The snakes would not know the Aurors, only Harold and Edgar. The unspeakables would be safe" Severus said.

"I could go and warn them. I am really good at swimming and obviously you got in through the river and lake. I could go out that way and warn them" Fenrir said.

John and Severus looked at him and John nodded "Get to Harold Potter and Edgar Bones and give them my message." John pulled Fenrir aside.

Severus turned to his sons who were looking at the Basilisk. Tommy was patting the giant snake and talking to it obviously introducing himself and Fawkes.  "Harry you will go with your Uncle John and I want you to listen to him. Do not do any heroics."

Harry nodded and said "You can count on me Dad."

Severus looked at Tommy and said "Little cobra you are with me." Tommy hugged his dad who said "Don't think I have forgotten your disobedience little cobra. When we are finished hunting your uncle and his friends, we are going to have a very long talk."

Tommy sighed but held his dad tightly. They heard a muffled "yes and I will also have words for you, my heir". Tommy pulled away and looked at the shrunken portrait and nodded.

They heard a splash and saw Fenrir in the river. They saw him dive under the water. John looked at them "Let's go, Harry you are with me." Severus held Tommy and flew up to Rani's shoulders and they slithered off. John nodded and he, Harry and Jar ran behind the snake.

........

Fenrir swam to the surface and as soon as he hit air he removed the bubble head charm. He swam to the shore and then ran to the manor gateway. He saw the large crowd in front. He saw Harold Potter and Edgar Bones and the unspeakables some of whom he recognised by scent. He then froze when he saw a tall blond elf and what looked like an army of high elves in battle armour. The blond was arguing with Harold and an unspeakable who Fenrir knew was Damien Bones. Fenrir saw the elf Cirdan and relaxed a bit. He ran to them.

.......

Morfin and Reinhart killed about ten snakes going to the room. If there was anything Morfin knew to do was kill snakes. Reinhart took him to the room that was heavily warded. Morfin immediately started to draw the runes that Parkinson had taught him. It would overturn any of the wards on the room. It took him a few minutes but the door opened.

He stepped aside and Reinhart moved forward. The elf battle maiden was on them in seconds. She fought Reinhart. Morfin looked in and saw the elf Elros standing in front of Luthien and a baby. Morfin could feel the strong magic coming from the baby. He laughed "Yes finally an heir worthy of the great and noble Salazar. With you my child we will conquer the world."

"[Yes the child is worthy of me but you will never get your unworthy hands on her]" a voice said.

Morfin spun around and saw the large Basilisk. On top of the snake was the man Reiner and his nephew Tom. In Reiner's hand was a portrait of a stern looking man in green and silver. Morfin had never seen the portrait before but he instinctively knew that it was Salazar Slytherin.

"[My Lord Slytherin, you have come to me, join me and together we your heirs can control the world. All will bow before us]" Morfin said.

"[I have heard of your evil Morfin Gaunt and I want nothing to do with your schemes or your ploys. You are a shame and have only brought disgrace to the name of Slytherin]" Salazar said.

Morfin hissed an angry curse and then said "[I am Lord Todeskrieger. I am better than you old man, I will burn your portrait and I will claim my heritage. I will be greater than you ever imagined and everyone will bow down to me.]" Morfin then sent the only curse he knew to cast and the emerald green curse went to the Basilisk.

Everything happened in a second. Morfin sent his killing curse. Tommy screamed and cast a parselmagic shield which covered the snake. Severus jumped off the snake sending his own attack, which hit Morfin. A large snake which Severus knew was Marvolo attacked Morfin. The man screamed but Severus realised it was not from his attack or from Marvolo. They all turned and saw the long silvery blade sticking out of the man's stomach. They looked and saw Elros standing behind Morfin, his hand on the hilt of the elven blade.

Severus nodded and quickly went to the high-elf prince's side. Marvolo still in his snake form, moved to his son. Morfin fell to the floor and was bleeding profusely from his stomach and from his leg where Marvolo had bitten him.  Morfin looked at the snake and said "[Daddy save me]".  His words were gargled as blood poured from his mouth.

Marvolo looked at him and said "[For all my grandchildren you murdered you will burn in hell for all eternity]". Marvolo used his tail and snapped his son's neck.

Severus nodded and looked around, he knew Reinhart was dead.  The Battle Maiden Nimloth was badly injured but sat in a corner in the corridor.  Salazar hissed and Marvolo turned back into his human form. Marvolo told them that all of the Germans were dead. Severus nodded and looked at the elf princess who was bleeding.  Thomas was frantically trying to save her. He went to them. Ella now had the little baby in her hand and quickly told Severus what was happening. Severus looked at Marvolo and said to find Sarah and Misty.

He called Tommy who jumped off the snake's back. He handed the portrait to Tommy. Ella gave the baby to Elros who hesitated. The house-elf looked at him and said "It is either you or the boy."

Elros looked at Tommy who had just dropped the portrait frame that was hissing angrily at being dropped. He took the baby. Ella went to Severus side. He was casting spells on Luthien. Sarah came running in the room with Misty around the same time Tommy felt the wards dropping.

Marvolo directed the Basilisk in the direction of the front door.

Sarah, Severus and Ella worked tirelessly. Thomas kept wiping the Princess' face and looked on at the magic being used. The potions Sarah brought helped the Princess and stopped her bleeding but they knew it was not enough. Severus looked at her and said "She needs blood immediately, she has lost too much."

"She would not be able to get human blood it must be elven" Sarah said.

"High elven" Ella added immediately.

"I would gladly give her" Elros said.

"The amount she would need, if you give her, you may not be able to remain as husband and wife" Sarah said.

Elros said "I do not care, her life is more important." Severus immediately took a vial of blood and tested it.

He shook his head "Your blood would not be able to sustain her."

"One from her own tribe?" Ella suggested. Severus nodded.

Tommy looked on and said "Nimloth or Rudger."

"Nimloth is injured she would die."

"Perhaps I could be of assistance" a deep voice said.

Elros turned and bowed "Prince Elendur."

Severus nodded "Yes perfect sit." Severus explained to Sarah and Thomas that Elendur was Luthien's brother.

Sarah smiled and said that magic had a way of directing fate. Severus scoffed but tested the Prince's blood and said it matched. Thomas immediately told Ella and Sarah what he would need and Ella popped out and Sarah transfigured items to what they needed.

John, Harold and Edgar stood at the door. John went to take the baby from Elros but he shook his head. John then directed Tommy out of the room and closed the door.

Harold and Edgar looked at the dead body of the Dark Lord on the ground and nodded. Rudger came in with Cirdan and dutifully stood in front of the door.  A high-elf healer came and was allowed in the room. Another went and collected Nimloth who was also damaged.

Fifteen minutes later Marvolo came in and told Harold and Edgar that all of the snakes including the Basilisk were secured in the serpentarium or in the Basilisk's case its room. Edgar nodded and Harold went to collect the Aurors, though they were no longer needed. Damien and Daniel came in and told their father that they had collected the bodies of ten Germans. One they told him in horror was wrapped in a large dead boa. Marvolo nodded and said "Karina."

Severus came out and said that the blood transfusion went well and it would just be a matter of time and will. The men nodded. Marvolo then looked at Severus and said "Can I meet my granddaughter now."  Severus smiled and nodded and went back inside. Elros came out and handed the baby girl to Marvolo.

Marvolo looked at the baby and smiled. It was obvious it was Morfin's child as the baby's ears were not pointed. She however (thankfully) looked like her mother. Marvolo smiled "Yes my little one, you are my blood, I smell my blood and magic in you. You are a powerful little hatchling aren't you." He smiled and looked at Elros. "Have you decided on a name?"

Elros smiled and said "I am waiting on Luthien but maybe Alassiel or Vanglirtana or Miriel."

Marvolo looked at the baby and said "Miriel, I like that one."

Elros nodded and said "It means Jewel. Miriel Elendur, Jewel of the Elf Realm."

Marvolo looked at Elros and said "Is she going to be Miriel Elendur or Miriel Gaunt?"

Rudger and Cirdan looked at Elros. The Prince took the baby from Marvolo and said "Miriel Aranel Elendur." Rudger and Cirdan both went on their knees. Elros looked at Marvolo and said "She is the Princess Jewel of the Elf Realm."

............

Harry, Tommy and Fenrir came out of the kitchen where their Uncle John had made them something to eat and was now trying to direct them to bed. Tommy looked at Harry who stopped and looked out at the living room.

‘What is it Harry?' Tom's voice said in Harry's mind.

Harry looked at the dark robed spectral creature that hovered over the bodies of the dead Germans. The creature looked at Harry and bowed. It disappeared. The tiny phoenix on Harry's shoulder trilled.

Harry looked at Tom and shook his head. "Nothing little brother. Let us see if Cal and Jar could find the sleeping bags, we could all camp out in my room tonight."

Fenrir scoffed "Tell Jar to see if he finds any earmuffs. I would never get to sleep with Tommy's loud snores."

Tommy looked at him and said "I do not snore and its Tom. At least I don't wake up with dog breath."  Fenrir growled.

Harry laughed and said "Or snake breath, did you smell the breath on that Basilisk."

"Well I don't think it brushes Harry" Fenrir said and the three boys laughed.

John shook his head as he watched the three boys and thought that the future was going to be good.

 

To be continued...


This story archived at http://www.potionsandsnitches.org/fanfiction/viewstory.php?sid=2311