From Tragedy to Treasure by Lady Lanera
Summary: Firenze and the other centaurs didn't rescue poor Harry that night in the Forbidden Forest when he came face-to-face with James and Lily Potter's murderer, Voldemort. Draco did, though. Struggling to cope with the attack and the fact that he nearly died, Harry learns a little about himself and regains something he thought he'd never have.
Categories: Parental Snape > Biological Father Snape Main Characters: .Snape and Harry (required), Sinistra
Snape Flavour: None
Genres: Humor, Hurt/Comfort
Media Type: None
Tags: Alternate Universe
Takes Place: 1st Year
Warnings: Abusive Dursleys, Profanity, Violence
Prompts: Quirrel attacks in the Forbidden Forest
Challenges: Quirrel attacks in the Forbidden Forest
Series: Tragedy
Chapters: 17 Completed: Yes Word count: 63686 Read: 123771 Published: 26 Sep 2010 Updated: 13 Jul 2011
Patience is Key by Lady Lanera

Harry nearly had tears rolling down his eyes at the absurdity about the whole thing. Honestly, there was just no way Snape was being serious about Harry being his son. It was impossible. Harry knew that he was James Potter's, not Snape's son. The git probably had never been with a woman. He then watched Snape fold his arms.

"I'm glad you enjoyed that, sir, but it's not true. My father is—"

"Quite understandable, Potter, that you would believe that. For eleven years, the entire Wizarding World myself included believed that you were the son of James Potter. However, it is a lie." Snape then glanced down towards the floor to collect his thoughts before glancing up. Holding a hand up, a book suddenly materialized out of thin air before he silently handed it to the small Gryffindor. "Turn to page 394 and glance over the potion. You will brew it, while I supervise from afar."

"You want me to brew a potion?"

"Do not take me for an idiot, Harry. I have led you throughout this entire term to mistrust me." When Harry opened his mouth probably to argue, Snape continued. "If you cannot trust yourself, Harry, then how will you ever know if I'm lying?"

Harry watched him for a half a moment before closing the book. He then leaned forward towards Snape. His bright green eyes remained on the man for at least two minutes prior to him glancing down at the floor. The young Gryffindor then sighed heavily.

"Could someone else make the potion?" Harry's head then came up. "I mean, does it have to be me who has to brew it, sir?"

"It does not have to be you. Another could brew it. Or if you wish to know instantly, there are also spells that would reveal paternity. If you wish, I could ask Madam Pomfrey or another to perform the spell." Snape watched him curiously. "Is there an adult here that you trust to perform the spell?"

"Hagrid," Harry quietly spoke.

"Unfortunately, he is unable to perform magic properly," Snape responded calmly.

Sighing, Harry glanced at the floor. "Then I'd like it to be Madam Pomfrey, sir."

Snape didn't respond. He only stood up and walked over to his fireplace before throwing in the Floo powder. He called out to the hospital wing, biting back a sigh when Poppy's frowning face appeared in the flames.

"We desire your presence for a moment, Madam." Snape watched her face scrunch up in confusion before she shook it away. He then took a step back and allowed her to step through into his rooms. "I wish for you to cast the Paternal Charm on Mr. Potter and myself." His entire body language read that he wished her just to humor him for a moment.

"As you wish," Pomfrey replied before drawing her wand. She then glanced towards Harry. "If you are father and son, then you'll both have a green haze around you momentarily after I cast the spell. If you are not, then you'll have a bit of a hazy blue. Do you understand, Mr. Potter?" She then smiled back at the young boy when he nodded slowly. She flicked her wand towards them and sighed when the haze settled onto green after a moment. "I'll see myself out then."

"It's true then?"

"Yes."

"How long have you known then?" Anger and hurt seeped into the boy's accusing words.

"Since the night of your Sorting Ceremony," Snape replied calmly.

"What? So you just took one look at me and knew, sir?"

"No. At the time of your Sorting, I was still operating under the idea that you were James's son. However, that night I received a letter from your mother." When he opened his mouth to argue, Snape quickly cut the young Gryffindor off. "Yes, I am well aware that your mother is dead, Harry. However, your mother was quite the witch when it came to charms. It appears that she charmed this letter to appear to me on your first night at Hogwarts. At the time of her death, she was aware that I worked at Hogwarts so it is plausible that she would have sent it here and charmed it for that trigger."

"What did the letter say, sir?"

"You may read it for yourself. I have no need for it anymore." Snape then produced the letter out of thin air again before handing it to the young boy. "You may use the room down the hallway for privacy. However, for your safety, do not enter the door on your left. It is my private laboratory, and I do not wish you to injure yourself."

"Thank you, sir." Harry then silently walked down the hallway and into the spare room. He quietly closed the door behind him before heaving a loud sigh. He was Snape's son. How was that even possible? Well, obviously, Snape had got together with his mum at some point, but how? Didn't she love his dad? He then sighed and carefully opened the letter.

Sev,

Likely, that dark wizard that you sold your soul to long ago murdered me, possibly even James. I charmed this letter to appear the night of young Harry's Sorting Ceremony so you would know the truth. I would have charmed it to arrive earlier, but I wished to be absolutely sure that you were free from Voldemort. Sev, you have no idea how hard this is to say in a letter. If I could have, I would have sent you a Howler to tell you, but I know how you'd react. Sev, you have a son.

I know it's horrible, but I didn't want to have a child with James. I wanted it to be yours. I don't know how to explain it, but I just had a feeling that my child with you would be special. I freely admit that I used your affections just so I could have your child. He's so beautiful, though, Sev. I wish you were here to see him. I know asking you to set it aside would be hazardous to you and our son. I won't ask then, but I sincerely wish that if you are not on Voldemort's side, that you take care of my child.

I'm certain that James knows Harry's true paternity. He of course doesn't say anything, but I can see it in his eyes when he holds Harry. We've been discussing who should get custody of Harry if anything happens. You should be aware, Sev, that I removed Sirius's guardianship for Harry. Frankly, I don't want that arrogant prick anywhere near my son. I thought about giving guardianship to Albus or Molly, but I want Harry to know a bit about my family. That leaves only one person. I know you're likely going to scream, but I've given guardianship to Tuney. Sev, she'll keep him safe until you can. I know she will. If not out of respect for me, then she will do so out of our shared bloodline. I'm sorry you lost this time with Harry, but I had to be sure. He's too special and too valuable not to.

Lily Evans

 

Rereading the letter a second time, Harry felt the tears run down his cheeks. So it wasn't Dumbledore who left him with the Dursleys. It was his mother. A deeply seeded feeling of betrayal knotted his insides as he glared at the letter. She had left him to those . . . His hand slowly closed around the letter before he tore it into shreds.

He hated her. He absolutely hated her. She left him with those bastards. He could have had a family, a true family, one who loved him. But no, Lily had changed guardianship because she couldn't stand this Sirius. Glaring, he wished the shredded letter would burst into flames. It didn't, though.

How could his mother be so callous? He then angrily swiped at the traitorous tears. Didn't she think Professor Snape deserved to know that he was a father? Didn't she think for a moment that maybe Professor Snape would have been a better candidate to raise him after her death than the Dursleys? He then scoffed. No, no, she obviously didn't think about that.

Harry then clenched his teeth. She had slept with Professor Snape just to have a baby. She didn't love him. There were no words of affection in the letter from his mum to Professor Snape. No, she was too brisk and formal about everything to show if she loved him or not. His stomach then lurched. His mum had used Professor Snape. She had toyed with him just to get her way and give birth to Harry. This entire thing felt like a bad program on the telly. He wasn't the child made out of love as everyone thought. He was a child created out of intent.

Closing his eyes, Harry hung his head. Professor Snape so far at least treated him well. The man seemed to care for him partly. He had given the letter to Harry after all. The young man then sighed, shaking his head. He wanted a father, didn't he? Snape seemed to be . . . trying. It wasn't just Harry after all that missed out. Snape had too. The man didn't even learn he had a son until a few months earlier thanks to Harry's mother.

He needed to think before he rushed out of the room and jumped into Professor Snape's arms, crying 'Daddy.' He knew that he'd have that time. All this was so confusing. He still wasn't sure what had caused him to wake up in the Infirmary. Though, he wasn't going to dwell on it. The memories would come back. He knew they would. He just had to be patient. Patience was the key to all things.

The End.
End Notes:
Next chapter, Harry sees a glimpse of his attack during his History of Magic class, causing several of his classmates to step up in helping him. Harry also has his first real talk with his father.


This story archived at http://www.potionsandsnitches.org/fanfiction/viewstory.php?sid=2316